November 10th, 2011

The tech trailblazer behind 'Black College Football' video game

Jacqui Beauchamp heads up Nerjyzed Entertainment, the Baton Rouge, Louisiana, video game and 3D animation firm that created the game "Black College Football: BCFX: The Xperience." It's a challenging field, especially for Beauchamp: "I'm an African American female, and every day I've got to get people to see me - to see me - and not that I'm an African-American female."

Soledad O'Brien reports "Black in America: The New Promised Land – Silicon Valley," at 8 p.m. November 13 on CNN.

1. Ana Scallion

Nerjyzed: A company without a conscience. How else do you explain employers who issue bad checks, fail to let employees know that they no longer have health insurance, string employees along with promises of pay or stock options. If I owned a company and could not pay my employees, I would let them go. It hurts to see the CEO of this company on TV as an innovator when she is someone who has hurt so many, so deeply.

March 14, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Walker

this is not even their office. They have rented this place, to make it believe that they are made. Give it up already. This is the 21st century, no one cares about color any longer. If you were smart you would made a gaming studios, but no you had to put a label on it, witch just limits your growth.

December 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Wake Up!

HBCU's have a rich tradition that is centered around things like "Battle of the Bands", one would think this was a smart investment/venture. "Others" have been using our culture to make BILLIONS for years! I applaude you. Also, don't know what happened to the info regarding the "troubles" your company has had, but let the first business owner without troubles and have acquired a measure of success cast the first stone!!!

November 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Just Thinking

Bravo Ms. Beauchamp for increasing your potential based on what you were familiar!! As a small business owner myself, I recognize the challenges you probably faced. Most small business owners won't get the opportunity to be on a national platform so they can be ridiculed! There are a great deal of people who "see" you.

November 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Know when to let it go

You can't reach for anything new, if your hands are filled with yesterday's junk!

November 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ana Scallion

But you can reach for something new when you finally get yesterday's money!

November 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Just Thinking

Invest in what you understand ~ Warren Buffet

November 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mom 4 Life

I recently played the Black College Football game – BCFx at the Tom Joyner Family Reunion with my son and the game is fantastic. Not just the football, but the halftime shows and the Drumline challenge with the drumpads is something the whole family can enjoy. Being a parent, what I really liked was the museum that shows the history of HBCUs like Howard, and Tuskegee and Southern University, and some of the greats that played at HBCUs like Jerry Rice, Doug Williams and the legendary coach Eddie Robinson.

Anyone who thinks this game is racist just doesn't understand the rich history and tradition of HBCUs, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and the contributions that they have made and continue to make in our society.

November 11, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Walking Contradiction

This lady is a walking contradiction! "Everyday, I got to get people to see me – to see me- and not that I'm an African-American female." Yet, every game she makes is a self-fulfilling prophesy of her racism. "Black College Football: the Xperience"? Seriously? That's the game you're going to make to help portray black americans in a better life?

All that is doing is reinforcing the stereotype that black kids want to grow up to be either sports stars or rappers. Way to go, racist!

November 11, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |