Santana on "Glee"
November 22nd, 2011

Opinion: What not to love about Latinas on TV

Editor’s note: Melissa Castillo-Garsow is a Mexican-American writer pursuing a doctorate in American studies at Yale University. Her writing has appeared in The Acentos Review, Hispanic Culture Review and other journals.

By Melissa Castillo-Garsow, Special to CNN

With Eva Longoria’s stint as Gabrielle Solis on ABC’s “Desperate Housewives” in its final season, it may seem like there will soon be a gaping hole for Latina representation on primetime TV. Not to worry - “Desperate Housewives” creator Marc Cherry is now producing a show called “Devious Maids," the story of four Latina housekeepers in Beverly Hills.

Thanks, Cherry. Your follow-up to Gabrielle Solis - an adulterous, shallow woman who uses her appearance and sex appeal to get what she wants - is of course, the biggest Latina stereotype of all: maids. It makes me feel like we’re moving backward.

Longoria cohosted this years ALMA awards ceremony - not surprising considering that Longoria won the Person of the Year award there in 2006. What was surprising is that the basis of that award was her role on “Desperate Housewives.” The ALMA awards aim to promote “fair, accurate, and representative portrayals of Latinos in entertainment” - like Gabrielle? Yeah, right, that’s exactly what comes to mind when I think of positive images of Latina women.

But “Desperate Housewives” was this year’s ALMA winner for favorite TV series, and now that it's ending, I couldn’t help wonder what else is out there for young Latina actresses.

Unfortunately, a role like America Ferrera’s in ABC’s “Ugly Betty” comes around too infrequently. Developed by Salma Hayek, “Ugly Betty” was significant because it depicted the home life of an American Latino family in a positive way. Its main character, Betty Suarez, was an educated, ambitious, hard-working young woman.

Betty could be naive, but her career-driven and family-orientated motives made her a well-rounded character that helped to diversify images of Latinos on television. Even her lack of fashion sense - a source of comic relief and constant teasing by her co-workers - added in many ways to this diversification. Betty Suarez was just the type of girl who had priorities straight.

Now with “Desperate Housewives” coming to an end, and “Ugly Betty” off the air since 2010, there’s a decline in the already lagging diversity of roles on mainstream television, according to the National Latino Media Council 2010 Diversity Report Card, but also the types of roles out there for Latinas.

Looking at what’s left, I find myself especially worried about the Latina roles on shows aimed at young audiences and the effects these stereotypes might have.

Take, for example, Francia Raisa, who portrays Adrian Lee on ABC Family’s “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.”Adrian is the school slut, who, like Longoria’s character, openly uses sex to get what she wants. She is also a virtually friendless outcast. She is aggressive, emotional and hard-edged. She gets pregnant with her friend’s boyfriend, marries him, and then, after a miscarriage, hatches a scheme to trap him and keep him in the marriage by getting pregnant again. To make things worse, Adrian’s mother is also portrayed as being promiscuous.

And then there’s Naya Rivera, who plays Santana Lopez on the highly rated Fox  show “Glee.” Rivera’s part has the makings of a groundbreaking role  - a Latina lesbian struggling with her sexual identity. Unfortunately, the significance of this is often negated by the fact that Santana is a selfish schemer, who will sleep with whomever - male or female - to get ahead.

She’s not unlike Alice Verdura, the manipulative sexpot on the CW’s “Hellcats.” Hellcat’s second season was canceled, but during the 22 episodes that aired in 2010, Alice, played by Heather Hemmens, almost always reverted to sex appeal to get her way. In one episode, she seduced her ex-boyfriend, the captain of the football team, to steal a playbook.

This is nothing new. Many have commented on Carmen Miranda’s portrayal of the dumb, sexed-up, unable-to-speak-English Latina, or the spectacle of Charo’s “cuchi-cuchi,” a meaningless but funny catchphrase which became famous on her appearances on “The Love Boat.” Apparently, it had something to do with the nickname for her childhood dog, but it came identified with Charo’s provocative dress and image as the fun, naughty Latina.

I am not denying that the roles for Latinas have come a long way – Callie Torres on “Grey’s Anatomy” is a doctor played by Sara Ramírez. Callie was a bisexual Latina well before “Glee" was on TV. The character's journey became one of the best portrayals of a lesbian relationship – interracial, even – on TV. The role is only somewhat marred by an affair with the show’s male slut, and a tryst that resulted in a pregnancy while Callie had a girlfriend. But at least we have an educated, talented resident at a top hospital.

But just because Callie Torres - a role I could not imagine for a Latina when I was growing up  - exists, let’s not get too comfortable. With Betty Suarez gone, the regular appearance of Latina skanks makes me decidedly uncomfortable, and with good reason.

A 2008 study published in Human Communication Research found that Latinos continue to be hugely underrepresented on primetime television  - at they time, they were 3.9% of the television population and 12.5% of the U.S.population. Latina characters were generally more likely to have the following traits than white or African-American characters: “addictively romantic”, “sensual”, “sexual” and “exotically dangerous.”

These researchers also found that in comparison to characters of other races, Latinas were the “laziest”, “least intelligent” and most “verbally aggressive.”

But what really bothers me about the roles of Adrian on “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” Alice on “Hellcats” and Santana on “Glee,” is that these are shows marketed towards young audiences – teens and younger – who are still forming their impressions of the world. It makes me wonder who is watching, taking in and possibly acting on these stereotypes.

Worst of all, Adrian, Alice and Santana are not stupid, or lazy, either. They are actually the cream of the crop – talented girls who excel at school, art or sports, representing real possibilities at diversifying the portrayals of Latina women in the media. Even so, they are still the sluts, still the manipulative characters that antagonize the likeable white character.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Melissa Castillo-Garsow.

1. serate a napoli

Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your put up is simply great and that i could think you're an expert in this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with impending post. Thank you a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

October 3, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Xyartyz

Hi, and tknhas for Hi, and tknhas for the question. There is no problem in a room smaller than 700 sq. ft. It will just clean the room more times, which is ideal for asthma problems like I used to have. You might run it on the slower speed (800 sq. ft. is at the high speed which is probably not ideal for sleeping) as the quiet mode in it is probably the best for the bedroom.., Blessings. and most important I hope he gets better.. MR

February 14, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nani

DianaCostaaa on November 7, 2011 My faivrote food is Spaghetti Bolognese, can eat that all day, and my mom does the best, now i want to eat some, annnnnnnh :3Awesome giveaway btw ♥♥♥♥

February 12, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Manny

Scusate l'intervento che esula dall'argomento proposto ma vrreoi sottoporVi queste domande:Perch sono state eliminate queste funzioni dal sito?:I voti nei post sono stati eliminati, perch ?Penso che se un intervento risulta essere maleducato o insolente, sottolineando la disapprovazione degli altri utenti si instauri in chi l ha lasciato un timore o una riflessione su quanto ha scritto.Altrimenti, a meno che non ci sia una supervisione accurata degli amministratori, essendo il messaggio anonimo si potrebbero verificare degli abusi. Bannarli servirebbe a poco essendo l iscrizione anonima. Questo senza nulla togliere agli iscritti che mi sembra siano molto corretti e responsabili.Un altra cosa, molto pi importante di questa, ho notato che non pi possibile scrivere recensioni. E una cosa momentanea o c stata qualche decisione in merito? Sarebbe un peccato perch molto utile sapere com' un determinato gioco e come viene considerato

April 17, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Criolla

Mexican TV , Univision and others show women at their worst, tacky, stupid, dressed as street walkers, I guess is forced on them, I can not imagen women with such poor taste and uneducated.
    The mayority of women in South America[ I do not know about central] we strive to be educated,smart and set to be a good example to our families.
    I agree with the dude, we are not all the same, our countries have diferent cultures , values. Its is rare in my country of birth to have more than 3 children and we prefer girls, women manage the family finances .
    I am very diferent from a Mexican, Caribean woman.
    Even the Spanish we speak has diferences.

December 1, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. tired of labels

The problem is this crazy thing of RACE Latino is not a race. Would you could it interracial if a white skin woman had an affair with a women from southern Italy which so many are dark skin due to the African influence in that part of the country . Are Spaniard and Portuguese people not white on their skin color what race are they ? if you are from South America even do you do not speak Spanish you are supposed to be Hispanic or Latino tell that to the people from Brazil or any of other 3 countries in which Spanish is not spoken. In America there is a stereo type of Latinos and Hispanic . ( you just got here, are you legal , you are poor ) The country will change in another 20 years and the stereo type of today will be gone but it is 20 years of putting up with the deception of the media , the bias of ignorant people in government that create this problem and the lack of people from Mexico, Central ,south America and the Caribbean that do not set the record straight. Call yourself by the country you come from identify with your proper race as defined by international standards and be proud that you are not handicapped by been monolingual

December 1, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Criolla

I agree, I do not accept to be part of a "race"that in the rest of the world dosent exist. I am defined by where I was born, my values and my new country of choice USA, and what I can give back.
      I do not accept labels that were created by politians that needed a plataform for their corrupted ambitions.

December 1, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. DumbBlonde

Welcome to the Stereotype Party. I'm a blonde, ergo I'm dumb. (giggles and flips her golden tresses). Get used to it.

December 1, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. arale norimaki

We urge these politicians to STOP dividing us into groups for their own gains, and treat us as AMERICANS

November 30, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. the_dude

None of the latinas on tv look like the old woman who steals the cans from my recycling bin

November 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. brucelee5

What we latinos don't get is that the majority of TV viewers are lazy fat white people in general that neither remember where they came from or who they are! So of course directors will continue to feed those obese audiences...

We latinos have more to be proud of than they now do, for example

The richest man in the world is now a mexican.
    The greatest painter of all time a spaniard.
    Latinos are the fastest growing minority group in US
    The greatest book ever written (and only the bible has more printed copies) by any single person is 'Don Quijote De la Mancha' by Cervantes, a Spaniard..

White America is about uneducated of its own origins as the Latinos they watch on TV, and that are not part of the people they represent.

November 30, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • the_dude

It's funny how you lump all Latin cultures into one basket where as if you asked anyone from Spain they would have nothing to do with Mexicans. Hillarious...

November 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • brucelee5

the_dude must be part of the obese and uneducated. Spaniards when in mexico treat us as exactly as one of their own. Just like the English feel when they arrive here.

I happen to know very successful Spaniards and who are close to the richest man in the world, a mexican named Carlos Slim. You ever heard of him? But Im done educating you as you happen to be one of the uneducated types..

November 30, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JD

The depictions reflect what the people writing the show find realistic. Looking that the Latina population in my area, I have to wonder which is the chicken and which is the egg, here.

November 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renate

I guess the same rasoen everyone has misconceptions. Although it's not much further from true'. Hispanic or Latino people have a a higher probability of being able to speak Spanish than the general population does

February 14, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Carmela

It's so frustrating especially to see the young women portrayed this way. The Adrian character is the most in-your-face, racist Latina character I've ever seen. The first time I saw it, it took my breath away. whoa, we have a long way to go... thanks for writing melissa

November 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ProtossZerg

Sorry, this is true in every way. Longoria is a s(((t and the way Latinas are protrayed is still racist as well. I hate this world.

November 30, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Danielle, you are an embarrassment.

November 30, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elena

People from Spain are Spaniards, most of them are caucasians. In the Americas and the Caribbean people are caucasians, black, mestizos (caucasian and indigenous), mulatos (black and caucasian), asian, or a combination of different races. What holds us together is the same language, Spanish. I was born in Cuba, my grandparents went to Cuba from Spain, in all the forms, I put White or Caucasian, and if they want to know if I am Latina or Hispanic and answer yes. But Latina and Hispanic are not races. It is funny, when I was a girl in Cuba I was always white, in the States sometimes people don't consider me white because I am also a Latina. No race is better than another, what matter is the way people behave and act. Also, people in the States should learn a little more about other cultures, I have been asked any dumb questions because I was born in Cuba, a way to reply is telling them what a dumb question they just asked and educate them.

November 29, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

And why should we learn more about other cultures? Why don't Cubans learn more about other cultures?

November 30, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Criolla

I agree I descend of Spaniards that were sent by the King in the 1500 to America, I do not have any mix and as criolla we have kept out culture and values , my country has a mayority of original peoples and different mix of mestizos, zambos, nisei,amish jews and Spaniards that come as inmigrants.
      But we all are one nationality, there is no labels, we speak Spanish and native languages. I am caucasian, I am a very Bolivian and also very American. It is my country, where my descendants will grow.

December 1, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. tgorden

so the writer of this article is concerned with stereo-typing, really? I work for the State, let's try focusing on them getting Medicaid & food stamps and lying about who is in their household while other children go without insurance, get a grip writer, no one really cares about your representation here.

November 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Amy

Ugly Betty was a really good show. Being a woman I wish we had more shows that encouraged us that there is more to us than what we look like. Who we are is what matters most.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JOSE0311USMC

TIME TO SHUT DOWN ALL LEGAL IMMIGRATION.

November 29, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. usa

really who cares !!!!!! oh yea put the beautiful ones on the list duh. who wouldnt want to see that on tv. really was this a hard question to ask ?

November 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. loveit

The roles that are out there call for "blonde hair, blue eyed" Barbies, and not very many call for beautiful brown babes, that is why there aren't many Latinas on screen. I am sadened by this, because Latina women are so beautiful and many are very talented as well. I wish there were more on American television. Latinas ROCK!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

And exactly where did YOU come from? Are you Native American? If not, it's really not YOUR country either, idiot.

November 30, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Hollywood needs to get more women of color. We do not see enough asians. Heck, include women of the Middle East as well. I am sick of the bleached blonde women forced upon our eyes. Natural is the best, what ever that may be. Beauty comes in all shades.

December 1, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  19. albto

AMERICAN PROPAGANDA.

November 28, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jason

The problem here is not with race but with gender. Females are portrayed as catty, vindictive, witches who use their bodies to get what they want. I hate that perception for my daughters and am sick of seeing girls mimick that behavior in junior high and high school. Women are GREAT to look at but Hollywood seems to have no interest in digging deeper – that is the tragedy.

November 28, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • ShawnM

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not about race, this is about the way all woman are portrayed on television.

November 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JemimaPD

Agree.

November 30, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dee

The original people of North, Central and South America were Siberians who came across the Bering Strait about 15,000 years ago. They are the people we referred to as Indians and now refer to as Native Americans. When the Spaniards came 500 years ago, they interbred with the Indian women because they were soldiers and did not bring their Spanish women with them. The resulting race from these unions is called Mestizo...a mixture of varying degrees of European Spanish or Portuguese and Native American.

A hundred years or so later, the English Puritans and Pilgrims arrived WITH women and entire families to start a new life in the new world. They did NOT interbreed with the Native Americans, except in rare occasions, because they had brought their own English women and didn't need to. That is why the tradition image of an "American" is that of a white person of English ancestry and the image of a Mexican or Central or South American is of a mestizo. The Mexicans had a cast system which placed pure Spaniards at the top of the social ladder, mestizos next, then Indians and lastly, blacks. The majority of Mexicans you see in the U.S. are of mostly Indian ancestry and, as such, were poor and emigrated here to try and make a living. If you travel to Mexico, however, you will find many Mexicans of blonde or fair coloring due to a higher percentage of Spanish European blood in many of the wealthier citizens there who have no need to move to the U.S.

I agree with the poster above who said that, if you are born here, you are an American, period. If you are born in another country and emigrate here, you are a hyphen as in Mexican-American, Irish-American, etc. That is the only way that makes sense. I don't believe in cultural stereotyping on television because it is simply untrue...every nation has as much diversity as the U.S. so there are no stereotypical people. Good writing involves good character development. Lazy writers stereotype.

November 28, 2011 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
    • jamesnyc

Informative. So why aren't they helping their less fortunate countrymen so that they don't have to come to the U.S. in droves?

November 29, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
      • umm... james

WE don't even help our less fortunate countrymen... and those droves died down years ago. it's not this rampant flood of immigration the media would have us believe. in fact, some people are leaving this country for Mexico because the more fortunate won't "help", as you suggested they do.

November 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jon

It seems pretty true about what he said about the pecking order. The class separation is much greater than here. It is stereotyped how corrupt it is down there, but you have to know the system. Our poverty level is much higher than down there only because our government runs up a debt that it cannot pay. With the slow down with the economy, the carrot of job prospects has dried up quite a bit, forcing some to move back home.

December 1, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • JemimaPD

Dee,

From Theodorre Roosevelt> "The effort to keep our citizenship divided against itself by the use of a hyphen and along lines of national origin is certain to breed a spirit of bitterness and prejudice and dislike between great bodies of our citizens. If some band together and German-Americans or Irish-Americans, then after a while others are certain to band together, and every banding together, every attempt to make for polical purposes a German-American alliance or a Scandanavian-American alliance, means down at the bottom an effor against the interest of straight-out American citizenship, an effort to bring into our nation the bitter Old World rivalries and jealousies and hatreds."

As one United States we stand: hyphenated and divided, we fall.

Roosevelt spoke on Americanism and condemned the use of the hyphen "whenever it represents an effort to ... bring pressure to bear on parties and politicians, not for American purposes, but in the interest of some group of voters ofa certain national origin or of the country from which their fathers came."

November 30, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Avielle

In my oppinion i think that latinos have the same chance of getting a role as an american does. if it is hard for them to get a role, they just need to do an outstanding job so the dir4ector doesnt care what culture they come from. Also i think that just because it might be hard for a latino to get a role> they should not take just any role that they qualify for, because that role might be against their culture.

November 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. I-Tel

Its nice to see diversity on television, but the portrayal of some of the female actresses on national television are portrayed in a negative manner and could potentially cast Latina women in a lighter shade. Ugly stereotypes of minorities in America is not a new subject, but how we handle each situation will dictate our place in society. If I was a women actress of Latina descent I would not accept a role that degrades me or my culture.

November 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mike

Please don't fall into the insecure trap of worrying about how your ethnicity is being depicted on the screen. It's a sign that your ethnicity has reached parity when it can handle a good ribbing about its perceived stereotypes.

November 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Robert J Sebold

How Dare you throw Charo into this mix...she is an AWESOME TALENTED CLASSICAL GUITAR PLAYER>>> not all of us are shallow enough to fall for TV portrayals of beautiful hot Latina women...

November 27, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mike Lenington

Watching Mexican TV is an exercise in looking at Breast Implants on skinny white women. Where do they get all these puffed out/implanted/painted/liposuctioned beautiful people. They don't look like Mexicans around Dallas. Even the men are extremely hansome and white. You see dark eyed women with blond hair and make-up by Sherman Williams. I have Mexican neighbors and for the most part they all look like Hispanic. Mexican TV needs a dose of reality, not more euro-tv types.

November 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

I agree with this, in Austin Hispanic women and men look hispanic, not all Irish look like Maureen O'Hara of old, i's just stereotyping and hispanic tv is the worst for stereotypes.

November 27, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Claire

Because in the Latino world, the lighter, the better (and they call America racist). Not many years ago, my company had a client based in Mexico. I visited their offices on a regular basis. Without exception, all the executive and administrative positions were filled by "European"-looking people; the people pushing the coffee cart were "Mestizo." It was painfully obvious.

November 28, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
      • LVK

Honestly, it doesn't matter if your caucasian or mestizo....many hispanic people put little value on an education and if a achild wants to go to school it is seen as a slight on the family. Many latin cultures like the Spaniards and the Cubans value education and that is why you see so many educated and successful people of those cultures. Many Mexicans (not all) place very little value on education and that is why they are pushing the cart. It has nothing to do with skin color. Men in central America are the ones who want to see the fairer skinned woman on tv......that is why they are there. Salma Hayec had to come to America to become famous because she was not given good roles in her own country. They were given to Latin woman of light eyes and fair skin. What a bunch of idiots.

November 29, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Beth

I'm getting fuglee lesbian vibes from the author of this article. This woman is jealous.

November 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mercedes Rodriguez

My husband and I were both born in Brooklyn, New York and now live in Miami, Florida. We both are "hispanic" but we like to call ourselves Americans because we believe from that is what we are. His parents were both Cubans but of Spanish parents and my mother is Ecuadorian and father Puerto Rican. My children are all learning about all of the different countries of origins that grandparents were from but they know they are Americans. They don't speak spanish because we don;t speak it well ourselves and always have to hear critisisms for it. I am proud to be American and I guess you may say hispanic.

November 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny Dominicana

Your kids will just have to learn Spanish in high school or college. Good job depriving them of learning a second language at a young age just so that you can feel you are fitting in better. My parents taught me Spanish at home and I got take Mandarin classes in school, as opposed to my first and second generation peers who had to learn basic Spanish because their parents deprived them of learning it at home.
      It's really dumb. I hope hispanic parents stop doing that. It won't get you anywhere. The best way to fit it is for us to get better educated, just fyi.

December 3, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Shawn

I think that Latino's are good people, but they tend to not pay attention to the stereotypes that are placed on them. I think they believe that a lot of white people relate to them and they think they are accepted when actually they are not. What I see as a student and from military experience is that Latino's are talked about just as much as black people and are often portrayed as buffoons or used for their beautiful women. Like the article points out, all of the women they showed were portrayed as untrustworthy, except for America Ferrara, who is really smart, but they make here look Ugly on the show, when in real life she is stunning. Since we can't have our cake and eat it too, she can't be Latino, beautiful and smart at the same time. That is messed up

November 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gwen

Ugly Betty started as a telanovela in Columbia, so if you don't like the premise, maybe you should write the Columbians.

November 26, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel

Columbia = Federal district where the capital of the US is located. Colombia = country in South America.

November 27, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  30. OregonTom

I want a taco now.

November 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • mitchdrummer96

thats not funny

November 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

Loser

November 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  31. sowhat

you people dont have anything to do,do you.

November 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. David

Latin women aren't afraid to be women, like American women are. For instance, Latin women dress for the eye of men. American women dress for the eye of other women. As a result, all us men are looking at the Latinas, and that makes American women resentful.

November 26, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  33. Opened_Minded

I just want to know why Afro-Latinos are so passive. They seem to accept social oppression and have absolute hatred for their African physical features. They would confuse anyone because on the surface they are culturally more Afro centric than Anglo Afro Americans. Please note that in this case the Afro American cultural aspects that were created in the US do NOT compare with those elements found in the Afro Latino culture. The reason is that Afro Latino culture (food, music, religion, and linguistic elements) almost mirror their West African origins. There is an almost undiluted existence of West African culture that emanates from Afro Latino culture. This is especially true of the Afro Latino cultures found in the Caribbean Basin. While Anglo Afro American culture has a weaker, faded, and an extremely diluted essence of any African culture. The Afro Latino's strong African heritage only serves to misguide outsiders to believe that Afro Latinos have pride in them selves. This is not the case. They currently seem to hate themselves more than an Afro American did in the 19th century. They also seem to fully accept being oppressed by white and mixed Latinos in their country of origin. This is crazy. Why do Afro-Latinos accept social oppression, why do they hate their African features?

November 25, 2011 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Bloganista

Opened_Minded, Afro-Latino culture IN GENERAL has more, and stronger, West African influence because the vast majority of the African slaves who survived the Middle Passage ended up in Latin America and the Caribbean. Less than 5% of the estimated 11-12 million kidnapped and POW Africans who survived (not were taken, but who *survived*) the Middle Passage were sent to North America. So, it stands to reason that the Afro-Latino culture has more West African influence.

You also left out that because of their geographic isolation, the culture of African-Americans with roots on the Sea Islands of South Carolina and Georgia also had – and has – a strong West African influence, even until today.

November 26, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  34. marc

What about AfroLatinos the most heavily discriminated group on the planet....
    There is no Spanish equality… Just like in North Americas… Black against White and the Brown.
    I never seen any blacks doing anything… and I am from Colombia…

November 25, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  35. yourmom

None the mentioned names are good actresses or had good roles.

November 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  36. balth

Hispanic refers to a group of cultures, not a race. The cultures have some common characteristics but are quite diverse.

November 24, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jared

The author fails to mention that the other characters (White, black, and otherwise) in these shows have issues of their own.

November 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloganista

JARED, the non-Latina characters were not the focus of this article, so why would the author need to include them?

Trust me – black writers, white writers, Asian writers, Asian Indian writers, native American writers, and feminist writers (representing all women regardless of ethnicity) have ALL tackled this very subject, repeatedly. Nobody is lacking representation.

November 26, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  38. jay12312

Boo Hoo Hoo

November 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. georgethedog

my husband is a light skinned Puerto Rican (born there, speaks spanish). He gets 2 reactions when he mentions his heritage: 1 "really? you don't look it" you don't look it" and "how come you are a terrible dancer"

Not every Puerto Rican is Ricky Martin and J.Lo. some are pale computer programmers.

November 23, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Kiki.Lightbourn

One thing that I noticed in this article is that there was no mention of Afro Latin@s. Univision has has hundreds or shows and series with thousands casted, BUT there has never been any black latin@ leading roles or maids or servants. The darkest color you see is olive skinned. Zoe Saldana is an afro latina, but shes probably the darkest latin@s will support. I always have to PROVE that I am Hispanic and can speak Spanish and then EXPLAIN why I'm, so dark and that Spanish was my first language. It's sad that this happens all the time and even with Latin@s screaming for equality, there's a divide even in our own race.

November 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

I'm of Irish descent, I don't have Irish freckles or red hair and I don't drink beer and have a leprechaun under 'me' bed, I'm American first of Irish descent (first gen descent).. everything on tv is extreme and also all media.. I don't expect to sit down to dinner with hispanics, what I see of hispanics of JLO and Marc Anthony, Javier Badem(?) Pen. Cruz etc. what do you see of Irish? Leprechanuns, beer and drunken Irish (all of which I have never seen and I'm immersed in Irish culture) get a clue this is TV, pretend, not real. Your Puerto Rican husband looks light, so what? only a dumb jerk would suggest he can dance like Ricky Martin.. just as dumb a butt who would suggest I should have red hair and spreak with a brogue.. it's LIFE, normal and funny.

November 27, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  40. Rodeo_Joe

Yea, but Russians are still the villians. Goofy Americans will never change.

November 23, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Russians are still the enemy.

November 27, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  41. Dominizuelan

It's interesting, and for us as working actresses in this community, it's difficult for us to comment on this. We go to auditions all the time where they ask us to be a little more "urban" or a little more "Eva". We are who we are. But we are comedians and writers, and believe me, there are some of us out here really trying to change and go against the stereotype. Why don't you guys check us out and tell us what you think! Latina Magazine called us the future of Latino Comedy, we don't know if that's true, but we hope it is. For up and comers playing against stereotype check out dominzuelan.com / bagobunch.com / ayquefunny.com / urbanotv.com – movers and shakers making our true Latino mark.

November 23, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Zafer

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your frovaite reason seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

April 19, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. TonyTouch

I very much enjoy watching Latinas on TV even if i dont understand what they are saying. I would rather watch a latina on TV who i dont understand what they are saying that watch some blonde bimbo with awful acting. LATINAS YOU RULE!!!

November 23, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  43. Michael Leonardo

How about a Human of Latin Heritage living or born in the United States :>

November 23, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  44. Greg

On the bright side, one of my favorite shows, The Glades, features Kiele Sanchez and Carlos Gomez. Both are solid, professional characters with strong family values.

November 23, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  45. Honest131

I have to tell you, as a middle aged upper class BMW driving bank executive, I really don't like how we are portrayed. Every television show gets around to blaming us. They portray us as venal and money grubbing. They show us as shallow and only looking for the next promotion and big paycheck. They show us as excessive drinkers, promiscuous, and power hungry. It shows us as willing to throw people out in the street for a quick buck. Its one of the most negative stereo types out there and I for one think it should stop. I mean, even if it is true in some cases, can't I just whine about it and make the media change?

November 23, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  46. Natch

So the role of a Latina maid isn't spot on? Excuse me, have you SEEN the maids at most urban hotels lately? Would you rather we make them house cleaners? Perhaps nannies? Oh, and their husbands can be gardeners!

TV writers write what they see. And in LaLa Land (LA, or Hollywood), that's what they see. Want your roles changed in TV & movies? Change your roles in real life.

November 23, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  47. Really

Maybe just one day all these newpapers will stop pandering to race and we all can move on.

November 23, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  48. SeemsCorrect

The medias portrayal of latinas seems correct to me. They're not exactly the model of integrity.

November 23, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  49. infinitidoug

So what if the characters are flawed? They're tv shows that are made to be interesting and drama works for a lot of them. Matter of fact, if this article didn't draw attention to flaws in the characters and manipulate them into racial stereotypes, only a hand full of self-indulgent ignoramuses would be outraged over these things. I don't see a line of African Americans outside of a studio complaining about how some blacks are portrayed as gangsters in certain shows. I don't see a hoard of angry Asians complaining about how the guy in The Mentalist is always stern as if he has a stick up his bum. I definitely HAVE NOT seen a group of Hispanic protesters outside the studios of these shows complaining about the negative qualities depicted in these shows. This article only fans the flame of hatred regardless of the writer's intentions. This must be a slow news day because there is only a handful of people who like to cause racial tensions and even fewer people whom are willing to implement them. This article is embarrassing to Hispanics. Let the bullets fly when a show blatantly mocks a race.

November 23, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  50. rebecca

Life is lonely and sometimes even boring. You may need a fresh thing to excite your mind.
    My best friend ,she met a good man and they love each other
    !they date via online dating - -'Milli~onaire S0cial.С'('⊙)M----
    it's the most effective- site in the world to connect with, date and marry- successful, beautiful people.-
    Meanwhile, . It's- worthy a try. You do not have to be rich or famous. !-

November 23, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  51. Truthfully

Lets face it, the Latins are the way they intend to be. Their media and culture is as degrading to women as it gets. Go through a Latin DVD rental section and tell me it isn't full of scantily clad women, guns and narco glorification. All that machismo garbage they peddle is actually the way their culture thinks that the real world is. Turn on their cable channels and see what they are about. They want to populate the world faster than China because their culture puts all women permanently on their backs with their ankles in the air. Don't believe me- see what they produce in their own media for yourselves.

November 23, 2011 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  52. cacique

TV actresses are only an infinitesimal sample of the women you are referring to. TV personas who are playing a roll that is usually streotypical and false, they act it out for the money and because that is what USA audiences think what Hispanics women should be like...If you knew those ladies up close I am sure you would have to widen your biases quite a lot.
    Our origin is so wide and large that it causes a general confusion, to hear your explanations and you own particular way of making sense of these really fantastic ethnic phenomena are sources of genuine elation for many of us.

I can only give an example involving Mexicans. We are the product of Mexican indian and Spaniard blood, we are mestizos. Some of us are gueros, some of us are prietos, but most of us are morenos. We don't think of us as being white because we don't look white, however, many Mexicans are blond. We call ourselves Mexican Americans when we become citizens. Our children are included in the terms Chicanos, Latinos, Hispanics or Mexican Americans. But they are as American as apple pie which is the way they feel: US citizens

November 23, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • cacique

I must never forget that there are many African Mexicans living in Mexico and many who migrated to the USA.
      There are many of Irish, Jewish, Chinese, Arab descent, etc.. and from many countries who have arrived in Mexico and found their fortunes there too.

November 23, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I live in Texas so we get many espanic channels. I have noticed on the spanish channels that the men will wear 3 piece suits telling the news or selling cars, but the women dress in halters, short skirts and have at least a C-cup. you don't want latinas stereotyped, you might want to let the latino men know!!! Also, there is currently a news story in the dallas/fort worth area of a 21 year old hispanic woman whose boyfriend is being held for killing her child. She has 5 children, only one with the boyfriend and she isn't married. You don't want stereo types for latinas, you need to let them know to stop being steroe types

November 23, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Ocelot

Stop acting bitter Lisa. Have you heard of the crimes white people commit? Don't be pointing fingers and let the Hispanic channels do what they do and stop criticizing them because your proof is being pulled out of your butt.

December 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Maman

However we choose to self-identify, remember the maxim, "It takes all kinds to make a world". I really have read, sense and feel a lot of you having great self-esteem and self-worth. I do agree with the author that awards for Eva Longoria playing a stereotype are questionable, yet there are ladies, gentlemen and floosies among all ethnicities. I am much older than many of you, yet I recall Ms. Longoria's break out role as a "Latina spitfire" on "The Young and the Restless" before "Desperate Housewives" when I actually took time to watch a soap opera. Another older star was the late Dolores del Rio whose career began and ended in Mexico, always the diginifed image of a lady period and beautiful. I pray that all cinema fans that do not know of her view her work. It is sad that media exposes bigotry and promotes it.

Know your diaspora experience and that of others. The resurgence of fascism in Spain in recent years has resulted in US Department of State advisories warning minority travelers of violence there just as in Russia. For many non-racist and racist Spaniards, it is insulting for anyone not born in or from Spain to call him or herself "Spanish". I never confused that identification, because "Hispanic" merely means "Spanish-speaking".

What I am more concerned about as a mother and retired educator is each of us working alone and together to end stereotyping. Do not buy into mockery, such as the old Chiquita banana Latina (before the "blood" banana issues), the Senor Bugito cartoon (no way to insert a cedille here), by not buying the product or watching the show. "Money talks." On the other hand, when you bristle at produce and toy prices, know that someone in an American or foreign field, sharecropping family, farm or factory is in drudgery to live for that dollar he or she might get paid for your necessities and comforts. The "Grapes of Wrath" and "Harvest of Shame" still exist. How does this relate to Latino/Latina images in the media? Do the media and the "stars" do meaningful work among or contribute to causes that benefit the very people being portrayed who may not be able to afford to see a movie or play due to work demands and a lack of means?

This over 50, (by order of patriarchal descent) Irish-English-Barbadian-Lingala-Tuscarora-Sioux-Yoruba-Igbo lady, has one last quote to share from The Life of Reason by Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás. (He was also a Harvard professor that taught Dr. W.E.B. DuBois. "Peace Be Upon Them.") "Los que no pueden recordar el pasado es condenado a repetirlo". ("Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".)

(My comments are copyrighted in my personal files.)

November 23, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • SO1

It may mean spanish-speaking to you but that's a limited definition. In that case, anyone who learns Spanish would be hispanic and that's not the case. The Spanish-speaking Koreans in Argentina are not hispanic.

November 23, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  54. María de los Angeles

Melissa, I am flabbergasted of your either own ingenuity, ignorance, or one way perception of prejudices in our media regarding Latinas on TV. I can see that you don't watch our own awful Spanish sponken programming. Don't you know that UNIVISION (or TELEMUNDO?) is premiering soon a soap opera made by our own prejudiced creators with the name UNA MAID EN MANHATTAN (A maid in Manhattan). What can you spect from the anglo media if an important sector that represents our own cultures is setting the key and standard to perceive us? Check it out if you really didn't know about it . By the way, my grandmother worked very hard as a maid in the Waldorf Astoria between 1956 and 1979. She died at 89 years old several years ago. I am pretty sure that she will feel very saddened and offended with such stupid way of portaying her harsh and difficult working years.

November 23, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  55. Cat

I am a wihite skinned Hispanic.. .... we have always been here. My ancestors came with Columbus left and came back to settle parts of "New Spain" still have land the Spanish crown gave my ancestors. Borders crossed us, we never crossed them. This is where the word came from and why. We are not all from Mexico and not all immigrants.

The term Hispanic was created by the U. S. federal government in the early 1970's in an attempt to provide a common denominator to a large, but diverse population with connection to the Spanish language or culture from a Spanish-speaking country. The term Latino reflects the origin of the population in Latin America and is increasingly gaining acceptance among Hispanics. Both terms are used throughout this report

November 23, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • SO1

I agree with you.

My comment had more to do with the comments below that with the piece itself. It's just an observation.

November 23, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Oussama

This is great Miguel! I would love to atnetd this event but I will have to wait for the next one. CONGRATULATIONS!!

February 11, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Truthfully

Your rhetoric has little to do with this piece. So tell me- why are you girls portrayed to be so sleazy? Lots more in your media than ours.

November 23, 2011 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  56. SO1

Calling Latin Americans "hispanic" is not accurate. It would be like if the Germans had conquered Mexico and Latin America in the 1500s, created an admixture race with the Native Americans that was about 60 percent Amerindian and 40 percent German and then calling those people the "Germanics." In general people don't even know what a hispanic looks like – they've come to think of them as being dark and poor and lazy and from south of the border. Furthermore calling them "hispanic" completely dismisses their Native American ancestry and culture which is the base of their genetic makeup especially in countries like Bolivia and Peru and Mexico.

There was a story on Navajos the other day on CNN and there were several comments noting that "these Navajos" looked like Mexicans: "If they're Navajos why do they look Mexican?!" Guess what, that's what Mexicans and most Latin Americans are – they're natives. Why do you think most of them are dark?

I know "hispanic" will continue to be used in cases denoting race and ethnicity but a more accurate label would simply be "Latin Americans."

November 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

When i tell people i am Spanish they go, when did ou get your green card, Never had one no in my familly had one. Did not have them when they came a long time ago. Or, I do not like Mexican. Not, Not brown either. I prefer the term now to make ppl stop asking stupid questions.

We only share a common language but in terms of music, food and even some words we vary. I do not look like your regular White European. White with a tinge of yellow. I do not like the term Latin. I like this one because it is uniquely American to us American's of htis ancestry. But i am 100 percent grade A American.

November 23, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Sorprendido

Why would you tell people you were Spanish, unless you were born in Spain? I live in the American Southeast, and I have found many Latino/Hispanic children accepting the term "Spanish" to describe themselves because their non-Hispanic/Latino friends call them Spanish (because of the language they or their family speaks-regardless of country of origin).

November 26, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  57. a slozomby

meanwhile there are 5 channels dedicated to latinas in soap operas.

unless the author only meant english speaking latinas. but i get called racist for asking folks to speak english so that cant be the case.

November 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. luiggifred@yahoo.com

I am american first, and we should judge people by their accomplishments, not by their nationality or color, in any case I am brown, bilingual, as american as apple pie or north california "sin semilla". The only reason that politicians or "activists" put people into groups like mexican-american, african-american, occupier- american- salvadorian- ecuatorian american. The only reason is to divide us, not to unite us. So, you are either american or your are not, the rest is BS.

November 22, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsBattle

***Applause*** The best comment I've read. It kills me that people divide us we are all American so why does it matter what "category" a person fall under when it comes to their nationality.

November 26, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Christian

Whats wrong with saying Mexican-American, people say African-American all the time. African Americans have their own cultural heritage and music, history etc yet they are still American. for God's sakes Barak Obama calls himself African-American. Nothing wrong with me saying I am Mexican American. People talk about their Italian heritage or Asian heritage, why cant I speak of mine? Sure we are all American but each American is different religiously and culturally. I thought this was a melting pot, not a one size fit all conformist ethnocentric society, where we must become carbon copies of the majority in order to be called 'American'. You can be Hindu, Jewish, Muslim and still preserve those religious traditions and still be considered American. You don't have to be a protestant Christian

November 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • pat

Correct but we are Americans with diverse backgrounds. I have issues with people calling the African-Americans and such. I guess that would make me European-American. Sorry, but I am American only. Its not where you were born that counts is how you act and contribute. We take all the good things from multiple cultures and it melts into the American culture.

November 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

Because not all ppl with a comon spanish language background are Mexican. I am not. We suck at teaching this part of our history. Reading this and the comments here make me sad and disappointed. For heck sake ppl google the differences and why these words became. HINT THE GOVT.... civil rights law. My god you people do notknow your own American history. As for Mexicans they are not all the same native tribes. Like calling all Asians Chnese.. ugh...

November 23, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
      • kate

I'm in Texas how many hispanics of different orgin are here? many Mexican Americans here though, they require being referred to as MEXICAN AMERICANS, now if I wanted to be referred to as IRISH-AMERICAN or Northern-European AMERICAN I'm a racist.. ha! whining hispanics, we'vel lived with whining blacks for years, now we got everyone whining, sad.

November 27, 2011 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  60. hawaiiduude

Im polish and filipino so im making a new race called polipino.

November 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • pat

I am Polish and Irish so I am a stupid drunk. People really have to get over themselves and themselves. We are Americans and individuals.

November 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Strange1

I like to think of myself as Southern White American Red-neck Trash (SWART) – the forgotten minority. We excel with all things fried, guns, cars that won't pass inspection, and jobs that require ingenuity and original thinking

November 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cat

Most people see themselves that way. we are lableed for many reasons but one, i did some research, is because of eeco laws and trust me as fair as things are now 30 yrs when i began to work full time. they were not.

November 23, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  61. sky

Charo is from Spain. Where were the other "latinas" born. Also,sterotypes come from so many fitting that description.

November 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • hawaiiduude

there are no latino or latinas from spain. They are called SPANISH.

November 22, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wastrel

Actually, people from Spain are 'Hispanic."

November 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mayita

Says who? Antonio Banderas, Penélope Cruz, Paz Vega, they are also latinos. They may not be Latin-Americans but they are latinos, as well as Hispanics. Get over it.

November 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wastrel

Mayita: That is simply the meaning of the word 'Hispanic." The US government began to use on forms it for people who are not from Spain, for what reason I cannot fathom.

November 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Devon

Wastrel, are you seriously arguing against the idea of people from Spain being known as Spanish?

November 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • SO1

They are both Spanish and hispanic. Hispanic doesn't mean you're dark brown and from south of the border. It means you come from the region on the Iberian peninsula the Romans called Hispania, hence they are Hispanics – as the people from Britania were Britanics and those from Germany were Germanics. They are the original and true hispanics.

Americans are dumb.

November 23, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
      • tiff1234

I love how we are all having this discussion to better accept each other, and Americans, like me, are called dumb..... that's nice....

November 26, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  62. Latinno

What is a latino?

November 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • hawaiiduude

a latino is a word used to describe a group of people with spanish and native mixed ansestry but not exclusively those groups but people who identify with the s american culture and may speak spanish. Its not a race.

November 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • pat

It just another category that the Dems want to exploit.

November 22, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Siamo tutti latini!

To be exact, Latino encompasses many more than just "Hispanics" or "Latin" Americans... it also encompasses countries such as Italy, where, in fact, there's a small little town just outside Rome called...what else? "Latina". And Hispanics actually derives from "Hispania"- which as has already been pointed out, referred to Spaniards- look at the name itself- very close to "Spain" (or actually "Espana")

November 30, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  63. james

Most latins from Mexico, Central and South America watch Telemudo.

They don't care for the networks..

November 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • SO1

What's up with white people ALWAYS saying Hispanics watch Telemundo?! NO ONE watches Telemundo. It's the Spanish equivalent of the CW. Univision quadruples Telemundo ratings.

November 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • kate

Pardon me, I"m Irish-American and in Texas, the HISPANICS (or Mexican Americans whatever) watch both.

November 27, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  64. sarah

Santana Lopez is one of my all time favorite tv characters, and she is much more complex than a promiscuous, talented teen.

November 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jacob

Of course, every character on every show she references is deeply flawed, so picking out the Latino ones and complaining about them is basically meaningless.

November 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Bp

What about Modern Family? Do Cubans not count?

November 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Colombian. She is not from Cuba. Likely the author is referring only to Mexican-Americans, people from Spanish descent that are from the Carribean and Central Americans.

November 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • JRonderos

My thought exactly

November 29, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Parla

unfortunatly, simply bcuaese they can. Also anti-social behaviour is seen as a badge of honour amongst some people. It's unfortunate, but respect of other peoples things (including digital content) is not a priority for a LOT of people. Was this answer helpful?

April 19, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. America Ferrara

Hi! What about Ugly Betty?

November 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • JRonderos

Read the article.. it is mentioned

November 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Latinno

Since 2000, 74 journalists have been killed in Mexico - 14 since 2010.

November 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruna

Im the first vweier Im the first vweier and commenter and funnier yet i dont care one bit about the vid!!!!!!!!!!!

February 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Latinno

From next week's[plot; " Mexico's military has seized more than $15.3 million in cash from a vehicle in the border city of Tijuana, authorities said Tuesday.
    In addition to the money, troops also found jewelry and packages of cocaine in the vehicle, the Attorney General's Office said in a statement."

November 22, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Latinno

Get a clue, they are make believe and do not reflect realty. Get a latino clue. "There are finally some smart, young Latina characters on TV, but we’re not supposed to like them.

November 22, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danko Ramone

If anything, reality is bending to reflect what tv delivers. I'd never seen so many latino kids, from my town, from families who've been here for generations, who acted like they'd just come from a dirty los angeles barrio, until that became the standard "every day hispanic" image on tv and in movies.

November 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nea

So true, I'm hispanic from New Mexico my family has been in the New Mexico/Colorado area for at least 200 years. Growing up I was just a regular American Kid until I moved to Washington State where everyone thought I was brand new to this country. I was frequently praised for my good english.

November 22, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Susi

All apneiapcls, and All apneiapcls, and air purifiers with Motors or electronics, produce some minute ozone (TV's, computers, refrigerators included). So the answer is next to zero, and completely safe. Some air purifiers hoever do use Ozone to clean, and produce a lot more ozone. This one doesn't (sorry if I overexplained )

February 13, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. HelenD,

If you were born overseas and became an American citizen then you are a (insert country of origin) – American. If you were born in the USA than you are an American – that is it – an American, just one word American. Why can't people get this right? If you want to be considered something else, than leave and go back to where you identify yourself.

November 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Latinno

Not if you are a person of color.

November 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Danko Ramone

People of color can be Americans, too.

November 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • HelenD,

We should stop labeling people, color does NOT matter. You are not a Black-American, just an American like every one else born here. A person of color, isn't white a color?

November 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anthrofreak

I am a person of color and I have never felt weird about simply referring to myself as American. This is particularly true when I travel abroad. I'm just American. Although I wished I was Canadian a few times when I realized how stupid the world thought we were when the Supreme Court appointed Bush to the presidency.

I will say that "American" in some people's minds means white. But this makes sense when you consider that nearly 70% of this country is still of European descent. Just like if you say "Chinese" you're going to think of a person who looks Chinese.

November 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • kate

Everyone is a person of color.

November 27, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Luis

Why even bother? I was born in the United States, serve my country in the Marines, but still considered a Latino. Just because of my looks I will be always consider a Latino first. I can walk around with my birth certificate and US passport taped to my forehead and still be considered a Latino first. So for reasons like this most people say "I'm Latin American." Also, AMERICA it's actually both continents of North and South America. What people should really be saying it's "I'm a United States citizen".

November 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Practice What You Preach

Agreed Helen... the issue is that many who say what you say don't practice what they preach. The moment I disclosed that I speak Spanish I was asked how I learned it (I'm very fair skinned so I often "pass" as white)- when I said I grew up speaking it and that I was Hispanic (I didn't specify my background precisely because I feel that I am AMERICAN first), the white lady asked me where I was "from". When I stated "California", she plainly said, "No, no. WHERE are you FROM?!" If I had said I speak Italian/French/German, etc and then said I was from California, I'm certain that the questioning would have stopped and would be seen as an AMERICAN of ...Italian/French/German, etc descent. I'm so sick and tired of being asked to "explain" myself if I disclose that my background is Hispanic. We are also AMERICANS and we are the first to ask for others to stop hyphenating us!

November 30, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  72. Latinno

What not to love about Latinas on TV? Answer, they are Latinos.

November 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  73. blogsniper

I see, so only shows that stereotype minorities in a positive light are good......if it's negative, then it can't be true. Thanks PC police.

November 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Big Al

My former assistant is a voluptuous, adorable, smart as h3ll, Domincan honey. If I were 15 years younger, I'd've propose to her by now. Latina chicks are what is going to save this country.

November 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Joe

OMG, first the blacks, now the browns who's next.

November 22, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • StankBox

Hey, you said it, Mang.

November 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Angie

What about Cameron Diaz (half Cuban); or Christina Aguilera (half Ecuadorian); or Eva Mendez (half Cuban)? The writer just focused on a few characters which, by the way, do not reflect a picture because they are hispanic; rather the emphasis should be on the theme of the show. Eva Longoria's character is as deceiving as the rest – I don't see any problem.

November 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • StankBOx

Put Cheech & Chong back on the air, mang.

November 22, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Gina

You know, I usually don't comment, but the writer is an idiot. The characters portrayed on Glee and Desperate Housewives are just like every other character on that show. Every woman living on Wisteria Lane was equally manipulative in the same way as Longoria. Cheerleaders on television are portrayed the same way across multiple TV shows and I don't see where the character's ethnicity is what sets her apart. While I do agree that the concept of Maids is stereotypical, the writer seems to be reaching in order to support her point that Latinas are stereotyped on television.

I also agree with Texas and Senora Gringa. The writer is obtuse.

November 22, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Are you kidding me ? Just becuase they are portrayed as 'latina' ? Give me a friggen break. The writer of this article needs to take a step back and realize we are talking about fictional people. SO WHAT if these 'latina' women are portrayed as the FICTIONAL personalities they play ? Should I be mad that an african american women was "stereotyped" in the movie Precious? Should I start protesting barbies because not all white women are slim with blue eyes and blonde hair? Every race and ethinc creed has stereotypes, GET OVER IT.

November 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  78. JoePub

I love Latinas, Hell I even married one. They are the hottest women around.

November 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • d

Ditto baby, ditto!

November 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • StankBox

Diddle, baby. Diddle.

November 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • lookiehere

November 22, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Em

Wake up people, including the author of this piece. Hispanic or Latino is NOT a race. There are white Hispanics, black Hispanics, Asian Hispanics, etc. Hispanic is a culture. It's like asking someone "what race are you?" and the response being "European". Ridiculous. Even the government has caught up on this, but ignorance will always prevail in mainstream America.

November 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  80. neoritter

"The ALMA awards aim to promote “fair, accurate, and representative portrayals of Latinos in entertainment"

Now I'm not saying that these women are in fact representative of Latino women, but the standards for their award don't say that it has to be positive or a nice potrayal. Is ALMA saying that a fair, accurate, and representative portrayal is Eva Longora from Desperate Housewives? By their standards yes. It doesn't have to be pretty.

November 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  81. MaddE

What about Sophia Vergara's charater on Modern Family. She is a great example of a great mother and a good wife. She is zany and unconvential at times, but thats what makes her the best... She has also been recognized at the Emmy's for this great portrayal of a funny and non-convential family.

November 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Booger McCoy

SHUT UP, ALL OF YA'S! I'm eatin' a meatball sandwich over here!

November 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mike

... umm.. who cares? Less Latin actors showing up for casting calls or less Latin actors with talent? Less screenplays written with Latin women in mind? What's your point? Who cares? Why stir the pot? Maybe you're the racist?

November 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noilies

What's not to love about it is that it's a really odd mix of racial stereotyping that isn't evident until you think over the characters, as this author has.

November 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mel

Peet peeve. "Latina women," "Latino men" are both redundant. It should be just "Latina" and "Latino." Gender is implied in the term.

November 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  85. closetiguana

Not to mention the hot women of Telemundo. It's impossible to turn the channel (even though I don't understand a word).

November 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Liana

Im latina, hispanic , chicana...watever u want. im mexican, puerto rican, spanish, aztec indian, & french. i love my cultures! latinas r perceived that way but u cant stereotype us all. in my opinion latin cultures appreciate body shapes of all size & there r those who r a bit more conservative like my family. in my family we have women with big butts, wide hips, or big chests or even all 3. alot of my relatives find it inappropriate 2 reveal areas of ur body. i appreciate my body shape, tho im not as skinny as i used 2b. im very intelligent & smart when i need 2b. every race has lazy, uneducated & verblly aggressive its not only the latins. I do wish many latin characters wld b portrayd as smart people

November 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

It's funny that you wish Latins would be portrayed as being smart when your own posting would make an elementary school teacher cry.

November 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • cacique

Atta girl Liana!!
      You do sound smart, and I can easily see what you are talking about.

November 23, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  87. Tee

What's not to love? They're racists and don't belong here.

November 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Levi

You're racist and don't belong here.

November 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  88. AMorfin

I am so tired of people saying that if you are of Hispanic decent you are from Mexico. History tells us that the original people from this continent are the Native Americans. Everyone else here is from Europe. Just because Mexico is not part of the US does not mean it is any different there. The original Mexicans are Indians. The Caucasians took over Mexico too and that is where my ancestory came from. I am an American Hispanic of non-Mexican decent. What is so hard to understand about that. Democrats especially want to label us all the same and we are not.

November 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tee

Many people hate you and for good cause.

November 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • AMorfin

Not to sure what you are saying by that. You seem to be the racist tho.

November 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Booger McCoy

Then go back to your home country, where no one ever makes that mistake. Then you'll be happy. Problem solved.

November 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Me

I guess this person won't have to go far as the post clearly says "am an American Hispanic."

November 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

I am an American of Irish descent, with some Russian and English thrown in (that I know of) so that makes me an American of Northern European descent with some Eastern European descent, I mean can't people just get it right? sheesh.

November 27, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
    • samson

not all of us mexicans were raped by spainards you know? thats why brown mexicans still exist and are still the majority
      food for thought!

November 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  89. CH

As someone who is part of the target demo for most of these shows, I would like to point out that those of us making up the younger generations watch shows differently. When I see these characters (with the exception of SLotAT and Desperate Housewives, I don't watch those) I don't see Latinas. I see another character in an overly dramatic storyline for entertainment purposes.

You may see the Latina that does this, or the Latina that does that.... I see Callie, Alice and Santana.

November 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  90. astounded

How can anyone be surprised of the overall perception of Latinas as provacative and shallow seductresses when the American media is inundated with that exact stereotype from the Latin community? At any time one can turn on Univision or Telemundo and see actresses wearing barely any clothes on various telenovellas. Additionally, the annual Latin Grammys feature hispanic performers gyrating wildly in wardrobes that the mainstream media would never dare to broadcast. Not to be forgotten, it was only a short time ago that Selena, whom so many in the Latin community praised as a moral and upstanding role model for young Latinas, performed regularly with skimpy sequined bras and hot pants. Because of her influence young girls, some not even in grade school yet, were dressed to emulate Selena and paraded around before grown men on stages singing her lyrics.

Way to promote the anti-stereotype, Latin Community.

November 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • NPhxAz

Correct: It is what it is.

November 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom

lol, yes. He's from Arizona.

November 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • NPhxAz

Yes I am. And I built a whole bunch of it. Where do you call home Tom? I bet it is a ghetto.

November 22, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • NPhxAz

Correct: It is what it is!!!

November 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Latina

wow...are you the pot calling the kettle black? lol

November 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

It is true that TV portrays latin women as you say, in LA women are exploid on TV, I hate it, but we are not like that, most of us are pretty conservative.

November 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Deathstalker

Lo.. who cares????

November 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carlos

I care!

November 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tee

Well no one cares about you or your illegal friends.

November 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Carlos Too

I care too.

November 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  92. DW

Wow, this promiscuous, adulterous stereotype you describe, also describes my Brazilian ex-girlfriend perfectly. What a shock.

November 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Levi

Most stereotypes aren't far from the truth. There's always a couple of exceptions but continue down the line to see the stereotype re-emerge. lol

November 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  93. texas

I don't know the specifics about where each of these women are from, but as for the characters being overly manipulative, sneaky, or whatever, they're from dramas! Every character on these shows takes turn being crazy! Sofia Vergara is probably one of the least crazy and most likeable characters in Modern Family. Naya Rivera may be mean, but Dianna Agron is just as bad. This article is absolutely stupid.

November 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Dick Trickle

They can all wash my laundry anytime.

November 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • j

so that's why you're screen name has "dick" in it.

November 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  95. CalNative

Who cares if you live in So Cal that is what you see... a bunch of mindlessly reproducing maid types anyway. I am tired of having "Latinos" shoved down my throat and in my neighborhood with their trashy ways.

November 22, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • j

i'm tired of having white people shoved down everyone else's throat because they are the real normal, the real americans, or whatever other self righteous beliefs the media wants to throw at us.

November 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • NPhxAz

That bean burro give you some nasty gas or what? Break some wind from one end or the other... it will probably smell the same.

November 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truthdetector

Ahhh...it is good to let the racial bigots speak for themselves. Ain't free speech neat?

November 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • NPhxAz

Viva laraza... and hooray for those who call a spade a spade. But where do you throw your rocks inside your cozy little glass shack you call home? At least I don't hide or run from anything or anybody.

November 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adrienne

Way to group all people into one catagory.

November 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  96. False

what garbage. did he look into all the actor's ancestry and find out if any non-Mexican looking Mexicans are acting? By the way, latinos are part of the "white" race but that doesn't fit into his agenda.

November 22, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Dani

I thought Latina's descended from native americans (I do realize Spain is Euro). In any event, you're right. They don't fit into white folks' mold.

November 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • hooza

thats has to be the dumbest comment i have read in a long, long time.

November 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  97. senora gringa

Latina women come from Latin countries like Colombian Sophia Vergara, comedic genius. Eva Longoria is not a Latina. She's a Chicana - American Hispanic as she's from Texas. I'm surprised the author either just ignores this or worse, doesn't know it. Thanks for perpetuating the myth that all Hispanics are from other countries. Excuse me now, I have to go make tamales for my Chicano husband.

November 22, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • False

no wonder people get confused, you just stated 3 different categories. That is the problem. We are just Americans with different ancestry. So Latinas/Latinos are immigrants?

November 22, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Juan

WRONG! chicana/o is slang... and quite frankly a derogatory term in my personal opinion... I was born here in the states as well, but because of my strong Latin roots, I am considered Latino! My roots are of Latin-American decent... therefore I am Latino!

November 22, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
      • False

Wrong. Your American. Why don't "Latinos" say what country their family is from?

November 22, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Me

You know, Eva Longoria refers to herself s a Chicana and as I understand the word, it hasn't been considered a slur since the 60s.

November 23, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Tee

You spelled "anchor baby" wrong.

November 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Brian

Awkward sentences paired with an obvious analysis of television stereotypes put together by a Yale (!) doctoral candidate. If this is what it takes to get into the Ivy League, where do I sign up?

November 22, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  99. josh

I don't see many white people or any other races on Estrella tv or any of the other mexican channels. But then again I only watch them for the hot women.

November 22, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • j

keep your eyes out, they are actually included in quite a few novelas.

November 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Eva's muff

The story mentions Evan Longoria and gaping hole in the same sentence. Coincidence? I think not.

November 22, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |