December 1st, 2011

Opinion: Attention black churches: Ignorance on HIV/AIDS can kill

Editor’s Note: Rev. Stacey Latimer is the founder and CEO of Love Alive International, a faith-based non-profit committed to empowering African-Americans with HIV/AIDS.  He is senior pastor of the group’s non-denominational ministry and was named to POZ Magazine’s list of 100 effective fighters against HIV/AIDS.

Marcus, Kevin and Trevor are pseudonyms being used to protect the identities of those individuals.

By Stacey Latimer, Special to CNN

Marcus was pastor of a Sunday school at a Baptist church in the South. He was born as a same-gender-loving man. As most same-gender-loving people in fundamentalist houses of worship, Marcus lived a double life, or on the “down low,” for he felt it was the only way to continue in ministry and stay connected to the community he loved.

The congregation absolutely loved Marcus’ vocal gift. He could sing them into the presence of the Lord.

When Marcus found out that he was HIV positive, he informed his beloved pastor, who directed him to allow the elders of the church to anoint him with oil and pray for him each Sunday until God healed and delivered him. Following the advice of his spiritual leader, Marcus did this for eight years without any medical care from a health professional.

Due to the lack of medical treatment, physical changes became noticeable and rumors of his HIV infection began to spread. As whispers of homosexuality ran rampant, the leadership took action.

Pastor Marcus, as he was called, was connected to a sister within the congregation and essentially coaxed into marrying her. There was no proper HIV prevention counseling given to the couple.  It’s unclear if Marcus’ wife even knew about his positive status.

I was brought into Marcus’ life by local health department officials who wanted me to intervene and explain to Marcus’ pastor the importance of HIV care and prevention. The man believed Marcus would be healed by God.  This likely helped to fuel Marcus’ denial about his positive status. The health department had determined that Marcus infected six other men with HIV. By the time I met Marcus, he had also infected his wife who – at the time – was pregnant with his child. She miscarried the baby.

Marcus died more than three years ago. There are members of his congregation who still refuse to take an HIV test.

Pastor fights HIV stigma in rural town

As an activist fighting to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, I have seen stories like Marcus’ again and again, and witnessed how ignorance can injure, maim and kill. Knowledge has the potential of preventing injury and preserving life. Black Americans should be getting more knowledge about HIV/AIDS from their churches, which constitute the center of life for the majority of black America.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says there are 1.2 million people living with HIV/AIDS in the United States and about 50,000 Americans become infected with the virus each year. Blacks represent roughly 14% of the U.S. population, but about 44% of new infections are among African-Americans.

We are 30-plus years years into the HIV/AIDS epidemic and black Americans continue to be infected by HIV at alarming rates. In black and poverty-stricken communities, there are still many people who do not know what the acronyms HIV or AIDS stand for, let alone know how the virus is transmitted. Despite available treatments which allow most HIV-infected individuals to experience a high quality of life, HIV/AIDS for black people in the United States debilitates and kills every single day.

One young man killed by AIDS was named Kevin, the son of pastor of a Jehovah’s Witness Assembly church in South Carolina. I met Kevin while I was the house manager for Project Care in Greenville, South Carolina. Kevin was forced to live in a mobile home in his back yard, without electricity and running water. The pastor’s wife refused to let Kevin, her stepson, live inside their house with her children.

Rejection by family, along with lack of proper housing, while trying to cope with all the mental stressors brought on Kevin’s demise. Even though we placed him into housing, he never recovered.  Opportunistic infections led to an early death.

Florida city battles fear and denial

This year, my organization, Love Alive International, engaged a number of churches serving people of the diaspora in New York state that have yet to provide or link their parishioners with any HIV/AIDS information or resources. During the last six months, we have encountered individuals who still believe HIV is spread through eating or kissing an HIV-infected individual.

The question remains, why does HIV/AIDS have such a stronghold in the African-American community? The answer is as complex as the forces that fuel its spread. We live in one of the richest, most powerful countries in the free world, yet we have been absolutely powerless in ending poverty, illiteracy, classism, racism, oppression and ignorance. All of the aforementioned crises are barriers to stemming the tide of HIV infections.

The weight of the evidence, from my perspective, suggests the virus is spreading due to the dehumanizing force of homophobia. I believe that homophobia is perpetuated by fundamentalist religions which refuse to operate in Agape  - a divine, unconditional love - with the brotherhood of man who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered, and HIV infected in particular.

In houses of faith across the country, I’ve witnessed people open to experiencing and sharing the powerful love of God’s grace without prescribed conditions.  When this happens, there is miraculous healing, deliverance, and change.

The mission of the people who are a part of the Agape community - and who comprehend the impact HIV/AIDS has on black America - is to restore the “waste places,” the families and communities almost wiped out from the destruction of HIV/AIDS.

This begins with HIV prevention, education, testing and care, treatment of the sick and injured.  I have witnessed sons, daughters, mothers and fathers die slowly, not only because of AIDS, but from rejection by family and community. They never recovered emotionally from the hurt; and they succumbed to depression, resulting in noncompliance to almost everything productive and healthy that would aid their survival.

I have also seen the situation end differently.

Trevor is an HIV positive, 24-year-old Jamaican man who recently contacted me through Facebook, inquiring about the church I lead.

After three Sundays of failing to show up, I walked into the service on the fourth Sunday afternoon and there he was. It was easy to see just how uncomfortable he felt. He left the service before it was finished.

When I spoke with him later that evening he stated through tears, “I have not been to a worship service in years. All my life, my parents, pastor and church family have told me that I was going to Hell, that I was evil. I don’t feel that I belong in church.”

It has been an honor for me to be a part of his steps toward healing, first spiritually and then physically. That healing will manifest in his adherence to his HIV medication regimen and total health care.

The sad part is acknowledging the massive damage that one lie - “you are evil” - has done to this young man.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stacey Latimer.

Posted by
Filed under: Black in America • Community • Health • Religion • Sexual orientation • What we think
  1. Todd

What do you mean zealots are the problem? You mean people who believe in God? At what point do you actually hold people accountable for their own actions?

December 5, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. scotty501

and ignore the rampant black on black murder and crime too. Is it as high on other cultures NOOOOOOO

December 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. scotty501

on one hand we say there are no cultural differences and then we say there are cultural differencs..in the mean time black on black murder i stiil happening and not much is being done about it.

December 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tony

You'd be a lot less offended if you were black and were aware of just how dangerous the "DL" culture is to men and women. Many of these "brothas" hide behind the moniker of being "macho" or men of God. Generally these men are delusional at best, or down right sociopaths. How many men and women will be let to fall for this assault to our community as a whole masquerading as "swagger". If you're offended, it's because you don't know any better.

December 4, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HZ

So the guy described in the article would have been told by whoever gave him the tests results that he should get treatment. He chose to keep it a secret and his pastor conspired with him to keep it a secret from a woman they got to marry him. The church should be liable and have to pay for that woman's medical care. I'm a Christian but infecting this woman was WRONG.

December 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hypatia

Sad and pitiful, but then again, the entire sorry saga of AIDS/HIV is one of unmitigated tragedy of human cruelty, starting with 'Saint Ronnie" Reagan's blind eyes and that mindset is still hard at work.

December 4, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. tacc2

Say what?

December 4, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Charles

To believe Aids is transfered mainly as an STD is pretty stupid to believe. Otherwise the numbers would be consistent with STD numbers which it isnt .... And is there that many needle users to make up the rest of the infections? No. Its alot more contagious then they let on... So the ignorance isnt only blacks...
    As for this article...it is racist... when you define someone by there skin color... its racist. Weather its a white person or a black person. If we could get over that sickness... then maybe we could conquer the racist desease.

December 4, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. house vespucci

yep they should emulate gay white male community from the 1980s

December 4, 2011 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. house vespucci

actually statistics are a misleading considering blacks in america. actually less than 1.5% of the 40 million blacks in america have hiv compared to whites which would be around .5% of whites in america. so yeah blacks disproportionately contract stds

December 4, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Butt Buddy

Amazing, isn't it, how often "ignorance" and "Blacks" appear in the same sentence?

December 4, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. VET

And what country are you from, Shari Harvey? You had better be sure YOUR country is above reproach before you answer...

December 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. smithie5050

i totally agree. there is no one living today that personally had anything to do with slavery. we can't help what our ancestors did. it's over...get the hell over it and quit asking for special treatment. how much longer do whites have to pay for slavery?

December 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • yomama

December 5, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shari Harvey

damned lunatic!

December 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nah

1/10. Troll harder.

December 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Darrel

@ Hale I understand what he is trying to say I think it can be worded better though and everyone has something good to say we live in the U.S.A @ Rodriguez, I think you need to word what you a little simpler for some of the other folks on here,but it is noble what you trying to refer to.

December 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lollearn2spell

you sound like hitler blaming the jews, take a chill pill, or get a brain. either one would help

December 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. CHOOSE IS A MORON

you are retarded. thanks for being a ignorant reject. i hope your child grows up gay, gets AIDS and dies of cancer. then, maybe you'll understand what it's like to be on the other side. jerk.

December 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. pudddytat

And the klan, believes whites are "owed something" too, so what exactly is your point here???

December 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Gary

Natural selection knows no race, color or country. You can't fix stupid. It takes care of itself.

December 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • lollearn2spell

those two statements have nothing to do eachother

December 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobby

Actually, I understood what Gary meant. And they do go together.

December 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connoisseur

Good one!

December 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kdubb

No my friend you can not understand the fact that We were slaves! So I will excuse that insensitive remark...

December 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Commojoe

Please get off this thing that WE (meaning YOU) were slaves. NO ONE of this current generation WAS EVER a slave in this country, and trying to guilt someone into giving in to you for some long-dead wrong is never going to work. Plus, that crap really gets old quickly.

December 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously again

Ohh also here's an interesting little thing. My family came from Sicily, the most invaded Provence on earth. Including being invaded by Africans and being enslaved......I believe blacks owe me retribution for my ancestors being enslaved (that was sarcasm for those who didn't get it).

December 3, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ignoranceisbliss

What do you mean WE were slaves? Have you ever been a slave? Why do you include yourself in an event that happened so long ago before you were born? You never had to endure it so quit keeping it alive because all you are doing is keeping the hate alive.

December 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rodriguez

Lol I'm not a Political Analyst, to tell the truth I am a just a simple man just trying to get through med school and I am quite fed up with people being on high horses and thinking that someone owes them something mainly African-Americans no one owes anyone anything, what ever happened to America as it was?

December 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodriguez

Yes I was trying to be funny.

December 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • hale

just stop commenting you don't make any sense and you don't have anything good to say

December 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tex

Lmfao I get it anal-list lol I tink he was trying to be funny, good on ya man. 🙂

December 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. lowell

PROPOGANDA

December 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. lollearn2spell

oh and btw im a half black 21 year old with a degree and a good job, i put in 40+ hours a week, and ive worked hard my whole life, so please dont make such a statement about "blacks needing to put more effort", because there is always the exception 🙂

December 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • ttruong

I think he was trying to be funny with his name: annalist...

December 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shari Harvey

Saying that you're the exception is a very racist remark. People are INDIVIDUALS and should be seen as INDIVIDUALS. I'm an hard working & high-paid black person. I don't see myself as the exception; I'm just another person.

December 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lollearn2spell

you make some good points but you probably aren't a political analyst huh bud. you sure don't spell like one. Just be yourself big guy, just saying

December 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Peter Fortune

The blacks wanted equality... well they have it, AIDS does not discriminate. They need to stop blaming the everyone and everything for there problems, and they need to stop turning everything into some kind of racist act against them.

December 3, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Hooligan

did you even READ the article?

This has to do with Africa... not America and civil rights you nimrod.

They are DYING because priests are telling them not to use protection, not to be safe, not even to TRY and treat themselves (as if they could) because "god" will heal them

December 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Missing Link

Where does this article say anything about Africa?

December 4, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Leo

Hooligan, wake up and smell the coffee. This article is about blacks in AMERICA, not Africa. I'm not black, but one of my very good friends is, and I've learned a lot about black culture from her. And yes, there are distinct differences. In fact, just a few days ago, we were discussing THIS ISSUE of HIV in the black community, and she was telling me about guys who led a double life... the "down-low." It's a real thing.

Now, my friend is educated and knows how ridiculous it is to let such things get in the way of rational behavior, but she's right... it's an ingrained part of black culture.

Of course, the double-life it's also an ingrained part of conservative Republican culture. How do I know this? My "good, Christian, conservative, Republican father." He cheated on my mother, with men. I'm just relieved that she suspected he was up to no good and stopped sleeping in the same bedroom. She got herself tested when she got proof he was cheating, and divorced him. She still looks young and healthy. He looks old and decrepit. I wonder if he caught any diseases in his duplicitous behavior.

Oh, and for what it's worth... I'm gay. Happily married to my same-s_ex spouse. Absolutely disease free, drug free, and living an honest life. Much better than lying and cheating.

December 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hooligan

LOL

whut?

December 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kdubb

Very ignorant remark on your part sir...

December 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shari Harvey

You're so busy being racist that you couldn't learn the difference between "there" and "their." No where in the article is the suggestion that the problems are caused by whites. Perhaps you should also learn to read.

December 3, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • house vespucci

1.5% of the black population and .5% of the white population in america is a multi-billion dollar industry–pharmacists, doctors, lawyers, nurses, social workers–are staying employed off a very marketable disease–your right they should stop letting people make $$$ of of them.

December 4, 2011 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • sino

Just because we don't still have slavery does not mean we've achieved equality. Sure, it's not 100% 'black and white' but remember Hurricane Katrina, for instance, to see how blacks are still oppressed and left behind in US.

December 5, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  27. BioHzrd420

While others in the comments section clearly have, I didn't get the whole "race issue" or "black struggle" from this article at all. When you have a particular group that is clearly being affected by a disease (I mean 44% of new cases is not a statistic to shy away from). I looked at the number of new cases in the US on the CDC website and the number of new cases that were African-American were double that of any other race. That's apalling and says for whatever reason it IS affecting a particular population differently and the reasons for that should be looked into. I commend this pastor for his work and for bringing the stories of these struggles for people to understand.

December 3, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  28. Tee

You can't even spell your own profession?

December 3, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  29. butch

You know, most of us have moved past the race nonsense. Why are blacks constantly reminding everyone about "black struggle" and black this and that. Get over yourselves, none of us care!

December 3, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Curt

As a privileged middle class white man raised in the north all I can say is... you have no concept of anything outside your little world, do you? Or rather, you have no desire to have any concept of it. Willfull ignorance. Get over yourself.

December 3, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
      • butch

No, I'm just a realist. Most people have moved on and are accepting of others. Anymore it's the black man putting down the black man by alienating themselves. Blacks want everyone to view them as the same and not be labeled by their color. But it's them who are constantly labeling themselves. No ignorance, I've had this conversation with my, oh no, BLACK friends. They are hard working and are proud of how far they have come in a society where 50 years ago had to use separate bathrooms. It's middle class white CLOWNS like you who feed off this stuff to make yourself feel good. But, when it comes down to it, I bet you'd be the first one to pull your kids out of a predominantly black public school or shutter in fear when you see a group of black youths walking towards you. I'm sorry you have white guilt, but this white boy doesn't, I judge on character not color, creep.

December 3, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Seventhrama

butch: If you, in deed, judged on character and not on race or creed, you would not have to explain what is your perception of African Americans. It seems to me that it is you who are among the middle class white CLOWNS who tires to feel good by having BLACK friends you can call upon in time like these. You keep on keeping on with your bad self, but life will not be on your side.

December 3, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Curt

Thank you, Seventh. You put it better than I could.

December 3, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  30. woodrow

I very much enjoy and respect hearing a black person who does not think so much about his race. It's time to stop defining yourself in terms of your race.

December 3, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
    • butch

Amen, it's getting obnoxious.

December 3, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  31. Don

The Great White Hope

December 3, 2011 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  32. Rick1948

Anyone who dies of HIV/AIDS anymore dies from a lack of knowledge. I fail to see why this article focuses on Blacks, as if they were the only victims.

December 3, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Tee

It's a racist article, that's why.

December 3, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • tacc2

ummm...I think it's focusing on blacks because they have a much higher infection rate than others. You have to fight the problem where it's worst.

December 4, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Sophie

I think the reason is the alarming rate that blacks are been infected and for people to wake up to reality. We can't sit and pretend that this is not a serious issue. Even in the church now it is on a rampant and the leaders should also take responsibility and help to educate the congregation.

December 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. rod

wha" dup?

December 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JEM

There is no benefit to voting Conservative or Republican.
    For real positive change, vote LIBERTARIAN

December 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blain

agreed..... republicans are taking you to the same place...just via a longer route.

December 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  35. BoneZ

It is a necessary evil to offend people in order to educate, because the offense will come no matter how softly spoken. If the risk of offense is higher than the love you have for someone, and you chose not to say necessary things that might offend them, then how can you say that you care for them at all? In fact, you are choosing to ignore their problem in order to preserve their feelings. In my opinion, that is not an example of caring for someone. I appreciate it when people tell me the things I need to hear. Too many people are afraid to do that.

December 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. loveit

Really?? Wow. How inconsiderate can a racist redneck be?

December 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. VOGA

White Power!!! lol....I'm black but your comment gave me the bet laugh I've had in a while...and you call black people IGNORANT? Oh wow!!!..Have a nice day sir....
    PS: You need a hug

December 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Curt

What is wrong with everyone? There are so few supportive comments here. Instead of being angry at how and why we are allowing such ignorance in our country, everyone's angry at those that are ignorant. Congratulations. You know how HIV is spread. You know what it involves. Aren't you special? A lot of people don't. As unimaginable as that is. Instead of vilifying them, maybe we should vilify ourselves for being complacent in allowing this to go on in our country. And do you know what it's like to live afraid of being who you are and losing everything and everyone you've ever known? When you have never seen any role models for people like yourself, never had anyone to look up to that was like you? When you're looking for a connection anywhere you can find it? And you know what? Not all churches are evil. Get over it. Some are welcoming, loving and educating. Is there any empathy or understanding left in this world?

December 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drowlord

In some parts of this world, people have very little access to formal education, knowledgeable people, and information in general. We can show compassion and sympathy for people without the opportunities we have. In the United States (and most industrialized Western countries), however, ignorance is largely a lifestyle choice. I've never cared about this issue at all nor exercised the slightest curiosity about AIDS. Despite my complete disinterest, I know the causes, infection vectors, prevalence, treatments, and have been exposed to numerous detailed biographical anecdotes related to this disease. Ignorance on this topic can only happen to those people who willfully ignore the kind of health dialog that slips into every form of media in our country. I find it impossible to feel sorry for people who ACTIVELY TRY to be ignorant and then suffer consequences.

December 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • sam

That's a good point.

December 2, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • SML

Excellent point; denial seems to be at the heart of this. Aside from special needs individuals, there are very few exceptions for an excuse to not know the first thing about HIV/AIDS. We need to start taking responsibility for our own ingnorance.

December 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • steve

well said

December 5, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • rod

too many people anyway............

December 2, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Anthrofreak

This is true for much of American now. We don't stress education. Most Americans believe in an invisible man in the sky.

December 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • FFFF

Ugh...that goes for most of the world...dude...

December 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • scorpioman

Hey Mr. freak, that name fits you like a pair of gloves!

December 3, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • ttruong

A lot of people with a PhD believe in God. Does that make them stupid? Even Richard Dawkins doesn't believes in something he can't prove.

December 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Anthrofreak

I can't believe they thought anointing him with oil would help. Another case of religion standing in the way of science. He could have been helped with treatment. Very sad.

December 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roberto

The sttiistacs I find most reliable are those on the CIA Worldbook website regarding South Africa's population sttiistacs. The CIA uses satellite surveillance to compile their records. It makes very interesting reading and is completely different from the formal government sttiistacs' us poor fools on the ground are being forced to rely on, even if they are being dished out by some of the most grossly incompetent and politically-correct government appointees in the world. As far as the Aids-EPIDEMIC is concerned, I refuse to debate any denialists, from Mbeki on down. It's not worth wasting one's time on. One also does not need to be taken by the hand and led to government hospitals to try and find people who are dying of AIDS. One merely needs to read the obituaries in the Sowetan, and view the burial sttiistacs at all the country's cemeteries, to realise that young people are dying at unprecedented rates from deeply mysterious diseases. Healthy young people don't die at such huge numbers from disease in normal society. The only reason South Africa still shows a growth rate' of less than 1 percent, is because it's borders have been thrown wide open to migration from the rest of the continent, says the CIA.

February 13, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Andrew

It's not ignorance the ruined this guy it was religion....how can prying heal a guy with AIDS...come on. Put the blame where it lays....the leaders annoited him with oil and prayed and kept him from seeing a doctor, yes he should shoulder some of the blame but the religios leaders are the idiots here.

December 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

While I agree with you to some extent, I must disagree and say that it is ignorance. In this case religion is breeding and is inevitably the cause of ignorance (as it is in MANY cases), but it is ignorance that is the base of the problem.

Given that religion will be around whether we like it or not, I would like to see the day when the great majority of religious people stop focusing on the small things and grasp the bigger picture. My mother, who is religious (I am athiest), has told me many times about the most important of all Christian teaching is to love and love unconditionally. If more Christians could grasp this belief I feel our society would be in a much better place.

December 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sophie

Don't blame religion, these persons are irresponsible and selfish. Remember he infect the innocent lady and this comes down to awareness and down right ignorance. HIV/AIDS are preventable and people should start take responsibility and stop blaming.

December 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • RACHEL1963

You need Jesus!

December 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Cliff

The church and scientific empirical research have not exactly been compatible to this day.

December 2, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  43. chuck

It is nice to finally hear someone in the church take blame for demonizing an entire subgroup of human beings.

December 2, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  44. Aloe

mandatory hiv/aids testing and education needs to be given to these people BEFORE we all them to come into our countries

December 2, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • william

It's hard not to think that this isn't just wilful ignorance, like if you somehow still believed that smoking is good for you, as they used to advertise, instead of facing the reality. Such blithering ignorance shouldn't be allowed in our country, so if we have to question and educate everyone we grant a visa or passport to, so be it.

December 2, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Garnet

Exactly, what do you mean by these people? You are just as bad as the people discussed in the article

December 2, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Lamine

I just book mekard your blog on Digg and StumbleUpon.I enjoy reading your commentaries.

February 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • addam

At one time testing was required and HIV barred entry unless a waiver was issued. But this was changed. Don't ask me why.

December 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamaican Woman

Ignorance is no excuse for spreading a disease that is not just a national issue but an international issue. HIV/AIDS has been a topic of conversation for a minimum of two decades. In reference to mandatory testing for "these people BEFORE we all them to come into our countries". If you had bothered to educate yourself you would know that all individuals 15 years or older that are applying for resident status in the US MUST take a mandatory blood test which test for HIV/AIDS and syphilis. Ignorance and irresponsible behavior is not a race or nationality thing, it a human thing. It is imperative that all people open their eyes and minds to the reality that this disease kills and does not discriminate and then maybe we will start to see changes overall.

December 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamaican Woman

I would like to correct my statement about the mandatory testing which I just became aware is no longer required. But I stand by all my other statements. The fact is ignorance is no excuse no matter what your nationality is or what country you come from. Regardless of the immigration policy for letting people into the country each person is responsible for his or her actions. When we as people acknowledge this and start to act more responsibly again that is when we will see change.

December 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jamie

Very tunkafhl am I because I've found this useful content. I'll check this out and see if it will work on my blog too.

February 14, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • tensor

Mandatory HIV testing for immigrants, period, as well as tuberculosis, which is a huge problem in latino immigrants. But also mandatory drug and HIV testing for all who receive section 8 housing and welfare, regardless of race. And yes, taxpayers should pony up for the testing. The only way to get poor people to the doctor and prevent the spread of deadly diseases is to require it and let them have it for free. This would catch a lot of not only HIV in carriers before it is passed to a wife and children or from a pregnant mom to a baby but also other communicable diseases that we are about to not have (a) enough drugs in the public domain and (b) which end up costing taxpayers exponentially more down the line if not discovered early on.

December 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • BioHzrd420

When did immigration figure into this? They probably contracted HIV in the US.

December 3, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Sophie

It's ok to test people before they comes to your country but remember your people goes to other countries and get infected and bring it to you, Lets hope you test them too.

December 5, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bo

Think! GENDER is not a race!

December 2, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Rimsha

Today is World Aids Day! This is an equal otuprtpnioy disease so please support research for a cure!

February 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Bo

Do people who are HIV positive allow passion to overrule good reason? If so, is this criminal? BTW, this isn't a belief article, it is either, or both, a health and legal issue; unless it is a belief that, in the face of God, people like this are denying that they are carries of a very lethal disease and spreading it. To me this is a gross sin, not a sin for having the disease, but for spreading it.

December 2, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  47. Shay

Claiming "ignorance" is a weak excuse.

December 2, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • anddrugs33

you are so right. Didn't all races get the same information at the same time here in the good ole U S of A?? Pleading ignorance is just that ignorance.

December 2, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  48. Bo

The article doesn't say whether or not Marcus knew he was infected when he passed the disease on to six other men before or after he was aware that he was infected, but it does seem to imply that he was well aware of it when he was married to a woman. This, to me me makes him very guilty.

December 2, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  49. AhhPures

Their responsibilities as parents for one. Why are the percentages of incomplete schooling and prison population higher for blacks per capita than for others? Why?

December 2, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

A brief history lesson might help you.

December 3, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  50. capcity

Like so many others here, I feel for these people, but REALLY, ignorance to HIV??? Come on!!! How is that possible unless you've lived under a rock in a sealed cave for the last 20 years? This sad, but also criminal what was done to his wife, WOW is all I can say.

December 2, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • william

Some of the counries these folks come from are indeed that abysmally ignorant, led by their corrupt, stupid government officials. That's why they're called "third world"... because that's exactly what they sadly are. Pathetic.

December 2, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Aries Lady

did i miss the part where they aid it was immigrants? i could have sworn the majority of the people the article discussed were from whatever state here in the US. let me go look again.....

December 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Matisse3165

This story is the reason why I have completely stopped supporting any organized religion. Their hypocrisy and ignorance. Love all, unless your gay. Help others, unless your different. Support only if you believe what I believe. I applaud this man for creating a church that accepts all.

December 2, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Bo

@ Matisse: I'm not sure I really understand your response. Are you tring to say that ALL religious organisations do not support these kind of people? If so, you have just been looking in the wrong places.

December 2, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Bob

Black leaders, particularly religious leaders have been openly hostile to the gay community. So gay=AIDS=blacks with HIV being ostracized. A lot of it is political. I watched more than one black leader complain publicly about gays as being a "fake" minority. It's as if they were worried than any attention (or money or political clout) given to the gay community takes away from their standing as the go-to oppressed minority. It is well known that the record high turnout by church-affiliated blacks during the 2008 election (turning out for Obama) led to the few extra percent that put Prop 8 over the top in California when it had been behind by 20% just a few months before the election.

December 3, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
    • rod

religion is not for deep thinkers.................

December 2, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo

Hey Matisse, obviously you've never heard of Unitarian Universalists. You might be surprised.

Look us up: UUA.org

December 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Katie

I don't believe that there are people in this country who don't know what HIV/AIDS is. To pull the ignorance card is worse than pulling the race-card. I don't care how poor you are or how uneducated, information is out there. This story is just plain dumb...

December 2, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

There are a lot of ignorant people out there. How many people you know what HIV/AIDS means? I learned about AIDS 25 years ago when a friend of mine contracted the disease.

December 2, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

They know what it is, they just don't believe it.

December 2, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Ann

I'd have to agree. I work in a prison, and we definitely offer HIV/AIDS education classes. The information is simple, clear, and direct - and I am repeatedly saddened that many of the African American inmates simply refuse to believe it.

Don't you know, they ask, that HIV was invented by the US government as a way to kill black people? I remind them that there are so few genetic differences between races that they're indistinguishable (never mind that so many are mixed race anyway) and they don't believe me. Oh, they say, the experiment just went wrong, and now they're stuck with a virus that goes after everybody. Naturally, I'm trying to give them government misinformation, because I'm white! AND I work for the government.

These guys aren't just ignorant because they're inmates. They come from communities where a lot of other people believe the same way. Black racism has blinded them to the fact that, even though I'm white, I really am trying to give them information that can save their lives.

December 3, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  53. Creaturz

Religion lends fuel to the placebo effect. In this reference, religion is good for the sick. Outside of this, the war of opinions on religion will rage on.

December 2, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  54. OnlyYourselfToBlame

"The health department had determined that Marcus infected six other men with HIV. By the time I met Marcus, he had also infected his wife who – at the time – was pregnant with his child. She miscarried the baby."

Absolutely disgusting, this 1 man's deviant behavior has infected many and will eventually cause their deaths. His wife who was totally innocent gets this nasty disease. I feel so sorry for her.

December 2, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • JEM

There are a lot of "Marcus"s who contracted their AIDS from being raped while serving sentences for possession of forbidden substances. They harmed nobody, yet they are punished by death.

The war on drugs is pure evil and anyone who supports this tragedy is evil as well.

December 2, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Anthrofreak

You can't contract AIDS. AIDS is a syndrome, a collection of diseases. You can contract HIV, which is the virus that along with other co-factors can lead to AIDS if not treated.

December 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  55. JEM

Black men get locked up far more frequently than men from other races. Therefore, black men get raped in prison far more often than men of other races. Many of these rapes lead to the spread of AIDS.
    When these men are released, they normally do not know they are infected and have $ex with their girlfriends or wives. This spreads AIDS to the rest of the Black Community.

The War-on-Drugs contributes tremendously to the spread of AIDS. These victims represent more blood on the hands of any and all who support the Drug War.

December 2, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
    • @JEM

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

December 2, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Ann

By the way, if you don't want to go to prison for selling drugs, here's a hint: DON'T SELL DRUGS. Simple.

December 3, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Tan

Every drug dealer DESERVES it.

December 4, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
    • JEM

You would put a death penalty on selling marijuana?
      Besides; lots of people get raped in jail while charged with possession.

December 4, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  56. yannaes

Now why would you think he needs to have training. How about this one for size.....Stop doing activities that will be conducive for contact HIV. See how simple it is to be sensitive!

December 2, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  57. Todd in DC

Thank you Jack for speaking the TRUTH about me! 🙂

December 2, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  58. Todd in DC

I agree with you. Earlier I was being salty, but this HIV brings out the worst in people.

December 2, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  59. Jack

Todd, your an irreverent bigot. Your profound ignorance stuns me. Don't misquote a book you've never fully read. Unless your Jewish, or highly devout and study the bible don't quote it. Your a racist antichristian. You seem to promote promiscuity, considering you have AID's, you right now are to me one of the most disgusting human beings on this earth. People who spread it without concsience, are as bad as serial killers. Do our world a favor and
    OD. Are you happy?

December 2, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

Thanks! You're right.

December 2, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  60. Todd in DC

You know, after I contracted AIDS, I became a very negative person. But I see what you're saying, and I have to agree.

December 2, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  61. Ravensun

It would be really nice if people would THINK before they go boinking someone they don't know, if men wouldn't try to jump in the sack with a woman on the first date – if the woman wouldn't GO there!

Best form of AIDS prevention and birth control? TROUSERS. As in "keep them on."

Or, as I was once told, two asprin.

"Put them between your knees, and KEEP THEM THERE!"

Of course, HIV isn't just transmitted through that sort of activity – drug use is a big part of it too. Dirty needles are bad news too. It's not just a gay/bi male thing...

December 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

It's a $ex thing. Figure it out.

December 1, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

I am so stupid.

December 2, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  62. Ravensun

If "your" [sic] writing a paper, God help you..... :-p

December 1, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Hugh

For you,the knowledge about how to defend the AIDS or HIV is needed.For government,it is need to how to make the better treatment for patients.We have own responsbilities for you and me.

December 1, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  64. msadr

Wow. I don't see how anyone can possibly live in the USA and not know what HIV is and how it's spread.
    On another note, the Headline kills me. Even CNN editors can't speak English! You have ignorance OF something, not on it.

December 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  65. elevatedmind

Lets be real people, this stigma is reality, if you are HIV positive you are, in fact, contaminated with a deadly virus. The only people that I feel sorry for are the babies born HIV positive (in which now they have new medical advances to prevent the baby being born HIV positive “Prevention of mother-to-child transmission" (PMTCT) , or the innocent intentionally infected as they had no choice, unlike the rest. Another case of blaming others for your stupidity, its a shame you have to learn the hard way.

December 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • usapanda

Belief gets in the way of learning...

December 1, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • KH

What a sad and provincial minded perspective. The stigma is indeed very real and is precisely why people choose to not get tested. Over 20% of people who have HIV do not know their diagnosis and can potentially spread the virus to others and the virus does not care whether it is to a child, a soccer mom, or a gay male. Until we start to realize that we are at war against a virus and not each other, HIV will still continue to have the upper hand.

December 2, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
      • JEM

Given the prevalence of male on male rape in prison, it would be in the public interest if every prisoner was tested upon release.

December 2, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
      • JeramieH

JEM, you sure are focused on prison rape. HIV spreads in far more other ways too.

December 2, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  66. DERRICK

regardless of race, people are so busy laughing at and ridiculing those with it that they don' t take the time to learn about it.

December 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spongesha

people are syaing this Jim guy is a scam artist but i'm just syaing he claims this. I dunno. who knows?

February 14, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  67. Joe Koke

This is nothing new that hasn't been put out for at LEAST 20 years or more! Are you kidding me? We as a society can Not be that naive/ stupid thinking that we do not know this disease is lurking out there and how you can get it!

December 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Orlando B. Anthony

you're absolutely right.

December 2, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  68. eagle

What a jerk – infected his wife knowing that he has AIDS.

December 1, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jim Dandey

Amen to that...

December 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Cameron

Yeah, because only gay people get AIDS! like Magic Johnson. Learn how to think (and spell) you ignorant bigot.

December 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tee

Your grammar is simply atrocious.

December 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • kingerik

Yeah, or people who slept with like 10,000 women.. he might have been on the down low too.. Who knows?

December 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sly Howard

it's amazing how we shift from one subject to another {education of AIDS/HIV} to who Jesus is so fast.Touching on both and linking the two: AIDS/HIV, is serious. yes, most people are ignorant to the fact and many are afraid to get tested because of the stigma that comes along. yes, many make the mistake of making bad decisions that may lead to the infection; then there are some who are innocent casualties. In both cases, God still will get the glory. .....For with His stripes we are healed.... His name is above every name{AIDS/HIV}......signs and wonders shall follow them that believe.....they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover{ this includes laying hands on someone and healing their mind..;their way of thinking.. if you believe, you can heal someone from their sickness both physically and mentally.

December 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • elevatedmind

Exactly.

December 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

We all also know about diabetes and the problems associated with obesity. Yet about two thirds of Americans are overweight and about 30% are obese. You know not to eat so much. So why are you fat?

A lot of HIV transmission is about misplaced trust. If your partner is sporting around and you don't know it, you could be infected in spite of the fact that you believe you are living a monogomous lifestyle. It's a disease... not evidence of some moral weakness. Grow up.

December 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Orlando B. Anthony

right. BUT do you know how many people who just don't use condoms/contraception? look at the kids on The Maury Show as an example. staggering.

December 2, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

Thank you for proving this article's point.

December 2, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • sam

Crazycakes.

December 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Monica

I have been maienng to write something like this on my blog and you gave me an idea. Thanks.

February 12, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
      • Saeful

I have weantd to write about something like this on my webpage and this has given me an idea. Thank you.

February 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  72. LDSA

Seriously???? You must be kidding. How can you speak such filth as fact. Not a word of what you said was truthful or factual. Oh how I wish ppl could not spout craziness and hide behide their computers while doing so. You would never have the guts to say that directly to a black person. If so my email address is listed lets meet.

December 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  73. rl

I wonder why they do? I also wonder who cares?

December 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

Is this a comment?

December 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  74. belinda

Wow, at first you struck me as a major league ask whole, but it does seem that formerly tribal societies – be they African, Middle Eastern, Native American, etc, have a hard time scaling-up to larger civilizations. The "My Tribe First" mentality means that power is often abused. Unfortunately American politics are going tribal...

December 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Joee-

“Jarvious Cotton’s great-great-grandfather could not vote as a slave. His great-grandfather was beaten to death by the Klu Klux Klan for attempting to vote. His grandfather was prevented from voting by Klan intimidation; his father was barred by poll taxes and literacy tests. Today, Cotton cannot vote because he, like many black men in the United States, has been labeled a felon and is currently on parole. – The New Jim Crow

December 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joee-

And he probably has AIDS.

December 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Wow, he was just "labeled" as a felon? Through no fault of his own? That certainly would be unjust.

I work with felons every day. Every single one of them – black, white, Asian, whatever – WORKED to get that label. Through repeated actions, over years in many cases, they made becoming a "labeled felon" their career choice.

The goverment didn't lock them up. The government didn't take them away from their families. By their own choices, they said clearly to the government, "Hey, I don't want to live out here. I don't want to raise my kids or watch them grow up. I'm choosing to do something that will inevitably put me in prison."

Until they accept that and decide to change their plans, they will always come back.

December 3, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  76. trainwreck

the sin is hatred...if youre gonna go old testament ya gotta go kosher, guys stop shaving,and nt wear blended fabrics

December 1, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  77. tamara reina

How careful can a person be it is obviously that these people wanted their cake thier way not thinking about the another person.

December 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  78. james

So what I have gathered here is that HIV and AIDS is still a major problem in America. And the lack of education is making it worst. As far personal accountablity, thats where knowledge comes. Knowledge is power, the more you know the more you can keep from making bad choices. Jesus not heal the physical but also the spirit. As we attack this problem let us educate people so we can live better lifes. And also teach what thus said the lord.

December 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suki

I agree with you James that knowledge is Power! HIV/AIDS is still rampant in this country because some people lack access to health care. Although people with AIDS are living longer nowadays due to the different types of therapy to delay disease progression, there are still people out there in the community that don't know how to access the system to manage their illness. There are a lot of agencies in existence out there to provide assistance to these individuals but the issue is about the stigma. Some AIDS patients are afraid to reveal their status because of humiliation and embarrassment. There are people out there that are very quick to judge.

December 1, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Koke

There is no lack of education on this unless you don't give a rat's bum about it.

December 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Todd in DC

Oh really? Try looking for HIV education materials in Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana,...

December 1, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Orlando B. Anthony

you don't really need materials in this day & age. HOME is the real materials. if it's not being talked about at home, then there's the real problem. HOME!!!

December 2, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

How can it be a problem when it affects such a small percentage of the population?

December 2, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Bo

By your way of thinking, there is no crime that is a problem, unless (I'm not trying to change the topic.) it is illegal entry into this country.

December 2, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
      • JeramieH

9/11 wasn't a problem, it only killed 3000 out of our population of 300 million. Cancer will only kill 0.3% of the US population per year, so that's not a problem either. Malaria isn't a problem, it will only kill 1 million per year out of the 7 billion people on the planet. Even illegal immigration isn't a problem because only a handful of states are impacted by it.

December 2, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
      • Commojoe

Okay, Jer, now you've got it. This is simply a case of natural selection weeding out those who are too stupid to survive,
        even AFTER knowing what it takes to do so.

December 3, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Dawn

Again i have to bring up personal responsibility. When i was in the dating game, it was crazy. I couldn't beleive the amount of men wanted to have intercourse with me on the first date, (of course i didn't). Then i started dating this guy for about 2 months and when we were about to get intimate i gave him a condom and he refuse to wear it, even became upset that i had condoms in the first place. I'm a black female and i have lost several friends and relatives from this disease and i'm really scared and cautious about my health. It's my responsiblity to take care of myself, alot of women want to please a man and do what ever he wants, so they will sacrifice to his demands, fearing if they don't he will leave. HIV/AIDS is the 2nd leading cause of death amongst black women. Protect yourself, it's nothing more the government can do!!!!

December 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

+1 for personal responsibility

December 2, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Shah

Great Vid tnhaks.Watched alot of films about this.AIDS fact or fraudThe Other Side Of AidsAids Inc

February 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  80. xXANONXx

Yes "aethism" will cure aids! Just ask anyone =-P

December 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

Atheists believe in science.

Christianists do not.

December 1, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Dr. D. Hill

It is unfortunate that most African-American churches in 2011 refuse to acknowledge that HIV/Aids is a real problem in our community. It is consuming the lives of the young and the old if medical treatment and education is not sought. If we recognize the disease, it doesn't necessarily mean we condone some of the behaviors associated with it. It means that we have work in the medical and educational fields to do. It also indicates we care about the health and well-being of the human race.

December 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

In the mid-eighties I worked in Europe for the Army – just when we discovered the AIDS problem. African American people were the bulk of our statistics but we were not allowed to identify them as a risk group. I suspect the statistical differences in ethnic groups were attributable to different social behaviors and a general lack of education regarding STDs. Still, the political resistance to the public health response undoubtably cost people their lives. We owed it to the African American community to identify them as a higher risk group. Apparently, they are still a higher risk group and should get intensive educational and logistical support.

December 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. yannaes

It is so simple to solve the aids problem. You know how easy it really is? Stop involving oneself in activities that will cause one to get aids..See how simple it is?

December 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Jenn

Love it.

December 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  84. David

I am a Christian man. From reading the bible and going to church you can't use the word hate and God in the same sentance. To say that God hates is abhorent and a lie God loves us all. It hurts me that people are sending these messages. Especially coming from people that are supposed to be "Men of God". I pray that the lord shows these charlatans clarity.

December 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

You just did it twice...

December 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • xXANONXx

smart a$$, try focusing on the point of what this person is saying instead of mocking the words.

December 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Jungg

Drug runners have nobody to blame but themselves for what comes to them. It's not society's fault that they're so inept that they can't find a legitimate means of making a living.

December 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Murphy

This has nothing to do with the war on drugs idiot. The drugs are illegal because it leads to poor desicion making and bad judgement. It hurts not only those that are stupid enough to use or deal drugs but the families too. Drugs put lives in danger, stupid is as stupid does and when stupid does drugs, it can affect the life of someone that is responsible. People on drugs become violent or negligent, and that is a serious problem.
    You cannot blame the war on drugs for the spreading of AIDS. It is all about education. Simply things like, I don't know, AVOID DRUGS, and if someone really can't better themselves that far then at the least don't share needles? these are things I learned in a high school health class.

December 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • timmy

"Drugs put lives in danger, stupid is as stupid does and when stupid does drugs, it can affect the life of someone that is responsible"

I hope you group alcohol in the "drug" category considering the substance is one of the most damaging in society

December 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  87. anon

As a former AIDS researcher..I am confused that skin color should enter this discussion. AIDS doesn't care if you are a trillionaire or of you are homeless. Let's aLl take action to make the world more educated.Amen.

December 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jungg

I agree. Why does this program have to be race-based? Can you imagine the uproar if someone were to start an organization that catered only to white HIV/AIDS carriers? It would be labelled racist in a heartbeat. How about we educate everyone on the subject?

December 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jorge

Why? Because certain races are more likely to get it than others, that is why!!!

December 2, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Archer

The reason is that while African Americans make up only 14% of the population, they represent 44% of all new HIV infections... so it is a 'racial' issue

December 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • dmccray

Race is not the issue of who to blame for HIV, but race is important when thinking about where to begin with preventative methods. Educating people is important and when the higher percentage come from African Americans or gays, then people want to speak to those groups more. It does not mean the rest of the world is not contributing to the ignorance, it just means these are the higher rates of cases reported.

December 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • lhpogo

It seems more like a cultural issue to me. It's strange to me in the country that we often confuse race with culture. I've met black people far more refined than myself, and I've met white people who are as "gangsta" as they come. Culture crosses skin color, just as disease does. Some cultures have more or less risk of disease because of their cultural practices and expectations, not the pigmentation of their skin.

December 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Pippi Longstocking

It's actually a sin issue.

December 4, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Suki

True! The key is safety, prevention, and awereness! Eradicating this AIDS epidemic is going to be a long battle. It will take the whole world wide nation to work together and come up with an effective strategies to help prolong the lives of these inflicted individuals.

December 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

If you were in fact an AIDS researcher you would know the African American population suffers the disease in a vastly disproportionate rate. To pretend that the transmission of HIV is not somehow related to the educational, economic, genetic, or cultural aspects of race is not a good scientific position. You've got the data. Don't let political correctness cloud your thought process.

December 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  88. JEM

Forced $ex in prison

December 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonia

Be glad of life due to the fact it gives you the chcane to love, to function, to play, and to look up at the stars.

February 11, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Juuliee

Oh, and O3blue watch out, ouurtbsts like that might just have you pop a vein.

February 14, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  89. JEM

Infants born with AIDS are additional casualties to the War-on-Drugs. They represent more blood on the hands of anyone who supports drug prohibition.
    The War-on-Drugs has done much to ruin the lives of today's young.

December 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LinSea

Those poor babies represent more blood on the hands of people who sleep around and shoot up. This is just about the most preventable disease ever. It gets spread by the behavioral choices of people, not by drug policy. Gee, how many new cases annually could be prevented if people obeyed the drug laws?

December 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Reay

Hmm, doesn?t look like it?s out yet. You can get an irmeptod copy though.

February 14, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • JEM

Prison rape is about drug policy.

December 4, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  90. Dan

Go figure..

December 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  91. PiratesRule

I agree and what about all the children born to aids? Do they deeserve this?

December 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Black in Midwest

And since when can you embrace Christianity without embracing the concept of sin? You can call it what you want, but a loving and compassionate Jesus told many that he helped, healed and recieved "to go and sin no more lest a worse thing come upon you..."

December 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DrDoITT

Amen, brother..

December 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • teepee

preach brother

December 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill britt

Jesus also said its ok to sell your daughter as long as her new owner treats her well. So, yeah. Ignore common sense. Keep using the Bible as your brain.

December 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • LinSea

Why are you lying?

December 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • administrator

"Jesus" said that, huh? Are you sure about that? Because what you're referring to is in the Old Testament so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be Jesus. But nice try. Keep showing your ignorance.

It'd be really nice to see secular individuals actually know a thing or two about the culture/history about the Bible before spewing off uneducated drivel that they soak up. Considering academics with much higher IQ's than most of us spend their entire lives (and have and will continue to do) on Biblical history (which affects Christianity, Islam and Judaism btw), I think it's incredibly opinionated, ignorant and simply arrogant to spew off opinions about something you only "half heard" about.
        Too many enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought and you, Bill Britt, are a perfect example of one of these people.

December 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

@administrator
        Actually several recent polls listed on a CNN article from just a few months back show that Atheist and Agnostics are far more educated about religion. Your bigotry isn’t very Christian but sadly very common.

December 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Justinstl

Jesus did NOT PREACH RELIGION nor did he EVER SAY THAT HE WAS THE SON OF GOD.. Christianity was not even formed until hundreds of years after his death. He was put to death for being nothing more than the equivlant of a WALL STREET PROTESTER.

December 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • CjS

@ Black in Midwest – As a Christian I am honored to be in the company of so many of you that are saved and without sin. Though, I suppose the fact that you try to use scripture to prove to others that their illness/condition is a sign of God's displeasure might prove otherwise. Now, let me go so I can sin no more...

December 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Black in Midwest

No one said that illness was a sign from God. You don't have to be a bigot or judgemental to stand up for biblical values. And just like a loving God, I love my children enough to give them boundaries.

December 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Good point. We can and should love all, though we can condemn the sin.

December 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

You religious folks seem to find a way to turn every conversation into something about god. I'll point out an obvious fact – Jesus (and no other diety) has shown his face for nearly 2000 years. Not one time. Not ever. If he had even the smallest measure of control or compassion he would not allow most of mankind to be such a stinking cesspool of misery. I know... he let's us make our own choices. Then why pray? You guys beg him (prayers) and he does nothing. Something bad happens and he get no blame. Something randomly good happens and he gets credit. You talk to him and only your imagination answers. You quote a book that was written long after his death and has been edited to meet the political and economic needs of the time. Let the nonsense go. It's a myth – not unlike the many other myths of all of the other religions. Jesus doesn't exist now. Maybe he never did. Quit quoting poorly defined passages from the Bible and looking for help that isn't coming. It's not coming... Ireally. It never has... Do it yourself and let's make this world worth living due to you own efforts.

December 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Captainboss

and they were given over to strong delusion so that they should believe a lie. There is a classic example.

December 2, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  93. Ben Ken

People, just say No or just say Condom. AIDS is real.

December 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Black in Midwest

The ignorance is when you believe you can skip over basic life principles. What about the permiscuity factor and the recklessness of spreading a disease? What about personal accountability? It has nothing to do with race. And all blacks aren't into the blame game!

December 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • teepee

I agree

December 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Nick

Evidently reality itself has a "liberal" tilt. Educate yourself and you will find that this article is deeply verifiable by facts.

December 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • loug1966

Nick knows exactly what hes saying. Good job.

December 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  96. joe the plumber

Ignorance kills EVERYONE, not just blacks.

December 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • smartypants

@ Joe the plumber – YOU ROCK!!!

December 1, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mauricio

Heya, I was cuouris about if you've any further info so I can find out a tad more? Cheers.

February 14, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |