Perceptions of discrimination a black and white story
When it comes to discrimination, a recent study finds that blacks and whites are not always seeing the same signs.
December 12th, 2011

Perceptions of discrimination a black and white story

By Stephanie Siek, CNN

(CNN) - A study that examines three years of opinion survey data says that black and white Americans are still miles apart regarding their perceptions of equality or inequality among blacks and whites. It identifies racial bias among whites as a potential reason for that difference in perception.

"Post-Racial? Americans and Race in the Age of Obama," released Monday by the nonprofit Greenlining Institute, found a link between white survey respondents' perception of blacks and whether they believed discriminition to be a major problem in today's society.

When asked how much discimination currently exists in America, 56.4% of black respondents said there was "a lot." Among Latinos, 26.9% gave that answer. About the same amount – 26% – of respondents who reported their race as "other" said that. But only 16% of white respondents said they thought "a lot" of discrimination existed in today’s America. The majority of white respondents said there was either "some" (44.4%) or "a little" (39.5%) discrimination.

White people who said there was "some" or "a little" discrimination were more likely to agree with statements such as "Irish, Italians, Jewish and many other minorities overcame prejudice and worked their way up. Blacks should do the same without any special favors," and, "It’s really just a matter of some people not trying hard enough; if blacks would only try harder they could be just as well off as whites."

The Greenlining Institute study analyzed data from the American National Election Panel Survey (ANES) conducted by the University of Michigan and Stanford University, as well as census data. The ANES researchers spoke with a representative sample of about 1,800 Americans on 12 occasions between January 2008 and July 2010. Greenlining is a nonprofit policy and leadership institute whose stated goal is to work for economic and racial equality.

"Americans are diversifying and if we want to keep ahead and keep America going forward, we have to acknowledge these disparities. If we don’t, it makes it hard to tackle them," said Dr. Daniel Byrd, the Greenlining Institute's research director and the study’s primary author.

Tim Wise is anti-racist essayist and activist whose work often deals with white responses to racism.  He says that white disbelief in black claims of discrimination is nothing new – and that white people need to take a closer look at why so many people of color believe they are subject to prejudice.

"I think they need to reflect on why there’s such a division," said Wise, who is white. "There’s only two ways you can interpret it: You can either interpret that [black people] are insane and borderline neurotic, that they don't know their own life; or you could look at it and say maybe black people do know their own life, and maybe it's worth listening to them about it."

Among the study's other findings:

• Although 62% of white people questioned in the survey believed that blacks'  level of health was about the same as their own, only 43.8% of blacks agreed. But according to statistical data from the National Center for Health Statistics and the Office of Minority Health, there are definite disparities in health and health care.  As of 2007, white life expectancy at birth was 4.8 years higher than for blacks.  The infant mortality rate among black women was almost two and a half times higher than for white women. The asthma rate among black children is double that of white children.
  • More than two-thirds of black people surveyed (67%) believed that black people in general make less money than whites. But the majority of whites (59%) believed that they made about the same. According to U.S. Department of Labor statistics, blacks' median weekly earnings were as much as $500 less than the median earnings of whites between 2009 and 2011.
  • Another question asked who the U.S. government treated better: blacks or whites. Twenty-eight percent of whites believed that blacks were treated better, and 63% thought the races were treated about equally. But only 1 percent of blacks thought they were treated better, and most blacks believed that whites either received better treatment  (56.4%) or were treated about the same by the federal government (42.5%).

Why is there such a gap between how much discrimination is reported by blacks versus how much is believed to exist by whites? Wise says that the reason why whites don’t know or don't acknowledge the racism or discrimination experienced by blacks and other people of color is because they don't have to know or acknowledge it.

"No matter what I want to do with my life, to demonstrate that I know the reality of people of color is not going to be on the test," Wise said. "But for people of color to get a job, any job, they’re going to have to know the things that white folks in those fields think are valuable pieces of information. People of color have to know white knowledge, white wisdom, and what their experience is, but white people don’t have to know the experiences of people of color."

Posted by
Filed under: Black in America • Community • Ethnicity • How we live • Race
  1. TexasMike

"Further, whites in this society would honestly like to bring up statistics and draw parallels between other groups pain and ours. There isnt a single people in te history of the world who maintain the names of their condition as their own last names, have no claim to any land ANYWHERE on earth, no indigenous language or belief system and the audacity to tell someone who had these things stolen how it should impact."

Seems to me you might be angry at the black slavers who stole them, then.

"I suggest you apologize to your darker brothers as humbly as you may for forcing them to fuel your economic realities while providing them no SHARE in them for thousands of years."

I'm not 50 yet, so I've done nothing for thousands of years. No one in my family ever owned slaves, and less than 1% of whites in America ever did.

Further, while Martin Luther King was a great man cut short in the midst of doing great things, those who took up his mantle have done more to prevent blacks from progress than anything since they were first sold to by black slavers on the Ivory Coast.

January 17, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Techwhiz

A common Tactic in dialogue with Europeans is as follows:
      -I never enslaved anyone-(a plan to ensure transgenerational wealth for segment along the lines or race means you don't have to and the dynamics which serve you STILL exist.)
      -Others have struggled and pulled them selves up-(Social mobility being used as a reward or punishment in Americas history)
      -Africans Enslaved africans too..common diversion rather than accepting ones own guilt and benefit from a crime.
      -Who do you expect to pay for this- EVERYONE is currently paying for it at a cost of the morality and condition of the human family, it is a historical albatross which is consuming all which is good within us, the highest of attributes are no longer familiar to us and depravity is the norm.

The conversation with Europeans will always take this course and as a result pushes as as a human family from ever being able to relate or come to a table of brotherhood because the sickness has this man defend what he has done and taken versus put the BS down and repent to the planet, Yes the birds, Bees, trees, Seas and crust of the earth are all lying and conspiring against the white man for absolutely no reason at all...T

January 17, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
      • TexasMike

If you truly believe you are owed something in recompense for your ancestors having been slaves, I'd happily vote for legislation that would provide you with a one-way boat ticket to the Ivory Coast, revoke your American citizenship, and give you the opportunity to demand reparations of the descendants of the people who made slaves of your ancestors.

I'm sure they'll be receptive to the idea. After all – everyone knows how much better off most people are there than here.

January 17, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
      • Techwhiz

II dont need anything you could possibly give, I have been to africa and travelled the world, you believe I stand here begging or asking white america to do something for us. What you should hear is that your progeny will reflect the crimes, I need nothing, you do..you need healing, your children and their children will bear the scars, Casey anthony, Mr Nichols beaten to death in prison, the 12 young ladies with touretts, can you not see what is happening, the disappearance of the children, Are all things in a vacuum and without ANY cause, just happenstance. I say very clearly, I require nothing from america, I have my fathers Korean flag from defending this country as did his father and his father and his father and his, My mother and hers and hers forced to raise Americas children are honorable strong women with the foundational precepts of the highest attributes.

What ypou fail to see and what Europeans always do is assume they are in a position to solve someones problems, the problem today is yours, not mine, anything i want I have...but I do recall strip searches in the street, i do recall all of these good americans chasing a veterans widow and her 6 children while waving american flags for july 4th celebrations...what do I need for white america..not a dayum thing...

January 17, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. cami223

It's pure HILARITY to hear white people complain of being discriminated against by minorities, a joke really .

January 17, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Boogaloo

Could someone please clarify something for me? What exactly is white knowledge and white wisdom? Can wisdom and
    knowledge be categorized as being white or black?
    Wisdom and knowledge of physics, technology, sciences......etc or wisdom and knowledge of racism experienced by
    blacks?

December 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike from CIncy

White Wisdom or knowledge is the information white people and the society they created, value as important or relevant. The society of the United States was founded for the exclusive profit/ control of wealthy White land owners. The society they created (early in its founding) excluded Blacks, poor whites and women. White wisdom is everything culturally relevant to White Society. An example is fine dinning dinner etiquette. Yes good table manners is a universal custom practiced by all people globally, but the intricate placing of silverware for the custom of "fine dinning" is a cultural practice imposed by whites onto others. It would be something Blacks another culture or any culture would have to know in the process of succeeding in the white majority.

December 15, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steddie

FYI i learned from a psycologist that if we keep bringing up the past you will never get better. you have to let it go in order to grow. im not saying let go all the racial things that happen today, i'm saying let the slave stuff go, let "the my ancestors blood was spilled" go...let it all go. not saying forget about it just move on, if you keep dweilling on things then youll always have hate

December 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DSBsky

This is one of those studies where the numbers speak the truth. It's not about white peoples perception of black people. It's about black people's perception of themselves. All I see in those numbers is this in a loud resounding tone.. "Black people are more racist than any other race."
    The fact that they themselves make up these numbers only serves to further prove that point. So if you want to get out of that cycle. Stop looking at yourself in the mirror, crying about racism and stop being racist yourself.

I mean bluntly put this says "Most black people will look at you and immediately assume you are racist " Where as most "other, latino and white people" will generally not think of you first and foremost as a racist. That says it all..

December 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tuesdaygirl

Sadly you're confused. Lower income people may think that way, but overall black people are not racist. they respond to what is presented to them. If you're not black you can't possibly know what white people do in the most subtle ways. The inability to even try to understand is the most obvious flaw that some people carry around. Black people have never hung anyone from a tree b/c of their color. they have never dragged anyon behind a car b/c of their color. it's about equal respect. It's like saying oh just go get a job. when the people hiring ain't gonna hire you. the people hiring prefer anyone other than black people over all. that is why there is a 16% unemployment rate among black people educated and uneducated. Have you looked around? Latinos occupy most low paying jobs – hotel, fast food, you name it. A lot of white people just don't get it. So the thing I recommend is go out and purchase a black skin suit and wear it for a week. And then you will see.you will feel. and you will know. Black people react(unfortunately) to racism. It's a 'you hate me, I am going to hate you back' kind of think. Remember history. black people did not ask to come here. Did not ask to be psychically damaged. If you know anything about psychology you would understand the difficulty of overcoming being damaged and sullied in so many ways. It's like Jerry Sandusky saying he was just 'horsing around' with those boys. Right.

December 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Richard

Racism is alive and well folks, it just a lot more well hidden these days. I am a 22 yr old black male. I have always been an A/B Student throughout grade school and college, also labeled as gifted. I have a very deep interest in philosophy and psychology. I used to be very much cynical of blacks blaming racism on everything. I felt as if many blacks are clinging on to hardships their parents had and embued into them. These same kids then screamed racism whenever someone of another race objected to their behavior. This is wrong and abhorrent. Yet it wasn't until I got a bit older...and stepped into the heavy working world where I finally experienced Racism. I worked at a few customer service places while going to college and let me tell you, I would get some of the rudest and down right hateful ppl coming through my store. The type of racist that doesn't want you to touch them so they basically throw money at you or when you speak to them look at you then turn away.

Needless to say I became very frustrated dealing with these ppl day in and day out. Anyone who knows me, they will tell you I am the nicest and most agreeable person you will ever meet. The ppl I was dealing with at work were usually military or upper middle class house wives. Caucasian mostly. I know they were not simply having a bad mood because another associate, who was white, would speak with them and get an entirely different experience.

The fact of the matter is Racism is a 2 way street. Blacks and all racist can be just as racist as the nearest white person. Too many blacks lash out and just assume ALL whites are racist and so the act unrully right off the bat so when they are called out on it they fame racism. Then again, many whites grow up in their upper middle class lifestyles and just assume the same is alotted to anyone when it definitely is NOT. My boss, love her to death, is a middle aged white woman who is very middle/upper class. She was helping me find a place to live a while back and she was basically giving me places far out of my price range. She just doesn't get what it is like to live off 500 every two weeks and rent a place that is both accessible/in good shape/ and in a decent neigborhood (which if you live in VA is very hard). The system as a whole is a bit racist, set up to keep blacks and other minorities from treading on "white" territory. There are so many places that you have to be approved by neighbors to even look at the house here in VA. Or places secure by price range. The prices are so outrageous for living here at VaBeach that many blacks(even tho they work at the beach) are forced to live very far away. Not to mention when you go to certain places here its pretty much ALL one race of color as opposed to a mix. I worked at McDonalds for about a yr and I realized.....there was not ONE black manager in all of VaBeach oceanfront. The company literally found ppl outside of the business rather than promote one of the very qualified black workers(who had been there forever)

Personally, I like to look racism head on in the face. Me and my coworkers do not deter from it and we frequently laugh about it. Me and my boss love to point out our differences from each other as it gives both of us a better understanding of each others lives. I had a roommate that grew up in upstate NY where the population of blacks was like 2%. He was never exposed to us before he moved here and he admitted to me of the types of things that are said and done in that kind of environment. He was basically a reformed racist and now one of my best friends.We need to spend more time trying to understand each other rather than blaming.

December 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ringo

You do know that there are more poor whites in this country than poor blacks, right?

December 15, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
      • The Facts

Actually, yes, I we do know there are more poor whites than poor blacks.

Did you know:
        -There are more whites on Welfare than blacks (or any other groups), and that New Deal programs helped to create the white middle class in the 20th Century back when only whites were permitted to use said social programs?
        -More federal money and resources has gone towards socially engineering a viable white middle class than had been given to all the other social groups combined (the Homestead Act and other land restribution efforts do count ya know)
        -Whites overwhelmingly supported such governmental handouts for nearly all of our history... up until the point that they were made availible to other American ethniticies in the 60s
        -Because all American students are instructed to learn European culture exclusively (but not required to know any other groups' history or culture) that minorities know more about whites than they know about themselves or others around them.

Ignorance is bliss, but it will lead you into blind corners

February 2, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Tuesdaygirl

That was great Richard. Please know it is hard to read as one whole block. Remember to paragraph. It really helps keep one engaged. I, too, forget sometimes in the interest of getting my point across quickly...

It's funny but in my early twenties I, too, was put off by black people in that way. But in growing up you learn.... The way you interact with your boss and other white friends in being able to talk about stuff is the way I am with my friends and it's funny but I have more white friends than black – in terms of stepping up for me. But it's tricky too. Life is tricky. Just know that those who hate hate themselves – as within, so without. So it's usually not about the person hated. It's usually about having been molested and abused. It's also about jealousy and fear due to guilt... The best revenge is living well in spite of other people's short comings... Be enterprising and know that there are some good people out there. Focus on that. Be an entrepreneur(sp). Best of luck to you;) happy holidays too!

December 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Q

Racism will never go away.

December 14, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Techwhiz

In 1963 in a census poll the question was posed to white america as to if they thought all things were equitable related to housing, access to jobs, voting, salaries and other criteria, 90% responded yes. This was the year of Medgar Evers...very telling..

In your places of work, how many of you noticed how many steps to get to your cubicle, how many noticed if there were obstructions on the floor, wheel chair ramps. The fact is, if these elements are not a component of your daily lives, you wouldnt consider them, to someone in a wheelchair these are very REAL factors that they live with daily. Does it make you a bad person for not being cognizant of these factors, no, it simply means that since it is not an inhibitor to you, you wouldnt consider them daily.

December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. K.E.Whitfield

The fact is racism will always be here in the u.s. I have to say it's better now than back in the day. agreed, blacks must find a way to look after their own. power is within the people. And we as a people are making enough money to support another man's project to make honest money. And those with money must begin to take risks, give another a hand up It's time to give back. take a ride on a sunny day back to were you grew up. I can go on and on. got to go...

December 13, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joe

This article is putting numbers next to words. Not blaming anyone or saying any one person/ group of people is any more/less racist then another. Every race is discriminated against by another in some form or fashion. The tug-o-war between White people and Black people is just made to be a bigger problem than any other racial issues. The problem I see is that people continue to differentiate themselves by color instead of just saying I’m American. We all live here together, all bleed the same and I don’t foresee any one race leaving any time soon.

December 13, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Irate semantic

Since when did it become PC to refer to black people as 'people of color' if we were making such a stink about calling them 'colored people' only a few decades ago? Yes – white people are better paid, given more opportunities, have a higher standard of living, and don't need to work as hard for any of it. Most were born into it. Anyone who isn't a white christian with parents who went to college must jump through flaming hoops in order to establish fiscal security, thus converting themselves into respectable individuals in our society. Of course it's a bull sh** system. So what can we do?

First – acknowledge that the system is flawed. Currently it is essentially unimaginable for an individual born to the slums of, say Baltimore, to rise from the pits and live a successful life without help from the system.

Second – reform the education system. Teach kids information that is actually useful and in a way that motivates them to want to learn more (i.e. don't throw a text book at them written by some old geezer who has no idea what their life is like, make the information relatable to their lives). As part of the education system, integrate them into the work force; give them tangible projects to work on, assignments that they can show off as their own product and take pride in; don't just make them sit down to take an exam that holds no intrinsic value for them. The main problem with the current education system is that it is catered to teachers instead of students. Administration is focused on one thing (and here's a hint: it's not the success and well being of its students) – test scores. If schools have high standardized test scores they get better funding from the government. Without funding, schools can't provide essentials such as books, class room space, and desks for its kids. But the kids don't care about their test scores – what does a number mean to someone who has to return to a squalid home day after day when they know the chances of them ever getting out their situation are dismal? Nothing. It's just for show.

Third – stop outsourcing all of our jobs to people in other countries. Yes it's cheaper. Yes big business is making higher profits. But who will buy these products if more and more people are losing their jobs and therefore losing their spending power?

Fourth – while I see no problem in displacing inner-city dwellers in order to renovate the image of a city, I do have a problem with excluding these former residents from benefiting from the upsurge in cash flow that comes with a city's face lift. Provide these people with job opportunities that will help support and promote the city's growth.

Obviously this proposal is idealistic. Systems are hard to change; especially one so massive and deeply engrained. But who knows; maybe the people of this country will eventually put their heads and hands together and do something about this problem instead of just continuing to ignore it in the hopes that it'll solve itself.

December 13, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

I agree completely! Your post is very well-thought out. Just to add: In reforming the education system, we also need to make the system more equal. It's no secret that wealthier neighborhoods have nicer schools than poor neighborhoods. Poor kids don't have access to the same resources. Give them more after school programs, etc. Without writing a novel of specifics, we need to combat many factors: gangs, unemployment, education, etc. to help fix the system.

December 14, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. john davies

Firstly let me say I am English and white, I have lived in Georgia for 28 years, I have also lived in Mississippi and Chicago, this discussion is about America, and not England, England as its own problems but my comments are about this country. Of course racism is still alive and well in America, anyone who lives here and is honest knows only to well, you do not need a survey or commission to tell you that, is it the same in the South as in the North, no its not, its just done differently. This is obviously a very deep and complex issue, but I have one thing to say to all my American friends, you pride yourselves on being a country of different peoples and customs, in fact that's whats made you great, but until you and the media actually adopt the concept of what being an American is, and by that I mean American and not Irish American or African American, but American, this conversation is likely to go on forever.

December 13, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Toby6

Well said Sir, we have to be brutally honest with ourselves, accept that we have failed in this respect and work to never fail again. We must pick ourselves up and march forward TOGETHER or not at all. We all know the definition of courage, but can we live it? Can we earn what has been given to us? As long as we "Americans" blind ourselves the way we have been, I have no hope...When I visited my sister in Scotland, I was asked this same question by family, I could only hang my head and walk away out so much shame I had no words.

December 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sgt Slaughter

This story just outlines where true racial tendencies are... 56.4% black, 26.9% Latino, and 16% white. The story should be re-written to:
    When asked how much discimination currently exists in America, 56.4% of black respondents said there was "a lot of racism in their heart." Among Latinos, 26.9% gave that answer. About the same amount – 26% – of respondents who reported their race as "other" said that. But only 16% of white respondents said "Racism is my style".

December 13, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Plug1

Miles apart....try light years apart. Try narrowing the gap Amerikkka!!!

December 13, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Sgt Slaughter

Racism will only go away when you let it go.

December 13, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Plug1

Keep it real, most whites in America,keep racisim going. FYI....I'm white.

December 13, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Michael

This article is ridiculous... Skin color has nothing to do with health or the way people treat each other, it all depends on how people live and act. I don't discriminate against color, but stupidity. I hate white trash just as much as black trash... It's not because you're black, but it's because you walking with you pants down to your ankles and acting like a monkey. Guess what white people do that too and there is black people who live and dress just like normal white people. Anyways color has got nothing to do with it... If you act like a ni&&$^ i think you are...

December 13, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • cynicalolelady

Why do you have to hate anyone?

December 13, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

The article is simply giving facts. What about it is ridiculous? Could you please inform me and the rest of the world what deems a person as “acting like a monkey”? I assure you that you see no one (White, Black, Latino, Asian etc.) swinging upside down from a branch using their feet and hurling feces for the amusement and admiration of their peers. You are absolutely correct, skin color has nothing to do with health care but it does play a role on how people treat one another. Inadvertent or not the difference is there. “…there is black people who live and dress just like normal white people”, you’re not helping your argument. What is normal? How does a person live and dress like a “normal” white person? You say you don’t discriminate against color but in the next sentence you do exactly that. Lastly what and how does someone act like a “ni&&$^”? I am by no means perfect or anything close to it. I am just a 24yr old black man, who believes if everyone would let racism and discrimination go; things would start looking a lot brighter.

December 13, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
      • steddie

hes probably using the word N**** referring to the people that call each other that word, how they act....someone who is educated on it wouldnt use it regardless of color even if they were talking about a friend

December 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • scooby

yes that is correct

December 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawnathan

Michael your being ridiculous; you begin your opinion with "Skin color has nothing to do with health or the way people treat each other, it all depends on how people live and act" yet, the article clearly states infant mortality by age group in a comparison and contrast. In your own words you say "Skin color has nothing to do with health" but that is the point made in the article, race should not have an affect on health but the reality it does.

The issue with you Michael is you just don't like black people or people of color because you change your subject from health care to "you walking with you pants down to your ankles and acting like a monkey" and then you say "dress just like normal people" ???? Finally you say "If you act like a ni&&$^ i think you are..."

Sense black people are "monkey, N-word or ni&&$^ to you.... then its safe to say your a bigot and dislike people who don't think or act in a way that fits your perception?

Its okay really... I suggest not reading articles that upset you or offend you because what you've done is present to the world who you are and what your about but you don't want people to know that your truly a bigoted coward.

December 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • techwiz

I was not going to respond to the foolishness associated with his comment relating to health care and skin color. Historical access affecting the method in which parents taught their children and an overall approach to health, no, only when white people mention these factors do they bear validity. Tuskegee Experiments, Eugenics project turned Planned Parenthood, couldnt possibly affect a people. A diet created over 400 years couldnt have created health disparities.

The crime of racism is never more evident than is on this forum, they simply lose the capacity for logic or rationale, it is impossible for any of them to do anything other than Defend, draw parallel and finally assert their right to all they have acquired no matter what was done to get it. America is a failed experiment and the depths of her failure is displayed in a simple thread which renders people to shouting idiots, unable to coherently discuss, very real divides, illustrated by the reaction.

December 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. racism in your head

My husband was subscribing to a minority magazine. I told him if he thought himself a minority he will be treated as one and I am gone. He feels no prejudice now. Almost the total opposite. He is held at a very high esteem by everyone. The reason anyone feels racism is because they themselves are looking for it and acting on it. If a black president can be elected SO CAN YOU! Educate yourself, dress appropriately, learn manners and believe in yourself. Rule for everyone.

December 13, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Sgt Slaughter

Your husband is a lucky man to have such a level-headed and empowered wife. Do you have a sister? :-)

December 13, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I think that's exactly true. This is a very unscientific study – it assumes that black perceptions of racism from whites is accurate. And then it comes to the conclusion that the problem is that whites don't acknowledge their own inner racism, which accounts for this large perception gap. It also makes it impossible for a white person to deny the charge, thus making white people responsible entirely for the situation.

Personally, I think many people of color THINK that they're being treated in a certain way because of racism, when in fact racism may not have anything to do with it. That doesn't mean I think there is no racism – as long as there are human beings, there will be an -ism of some kind – but just like an hyperactive immune system attacks everything in the body (e.g., any autoimmune disease), I also think people of color, especially blacks, have become so oversensitized that any perceived slight is blamed on racism, when that just simply isn't the case.

December 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ben

December 13, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Techwiz

Education could overcome Margaret Sanger and US Eugenics project, ported to planned parenthood, no there has been deliberate plan to abort americas biggst problem since emancipation.

December 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Harry

Judging by the article and the comments here, the bulk of the racism is from blacks towards whites. There seems to be an inclination towards blaming white people for their own failures. This in spite of government mandated programs, affirmative action programs and the like all of which are biased towards blacks. I often wondered why if a black truly felt they couldn't get a fair shake in the US, that they wouldn't simply move to a country that has a majority of blacks and whose government is controlled by blacks.

December 13, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Techwiz

Because the Korean Flag on my wall and the fact that we didnt immigrate here seeking a better life, the fact that we have no claim to any land anywhere on the planet earth and cannot trace to any, the fact that the suffrage movement got its start from Mammies teaching demure white women to stand up. The fact that america became a superpower as a direct result of 400 years of free labor, means I am not going anywhere...My anscestry brought here were innocent, living their lives and stolen here. Today the filthy mouthed benefactors use every method to justify or levy the blame on the lineage who have been under seige, how many white posters have been strip searched, My degree is from Harvard..it matterd very little..I paid for this country in blood, our Veterans, we took Dog bites and firehoses and lynchings so ALL other people coul;d come, for filthy mouthed posters to use them in conversation to justify a pitiful point.

The Latinos are aligning themselves with us now because they have realized calling us names and treating us like you do, doesnt make them any better in your eyes. You will still maintain by means of some antiquated, twisted logic a heirarchy which says you deserve the lions share. Well...now you have upwards of 100 million Black and brown people who have no share in your american dream as your neighbors, 100 million who couldnt care less if the country lived or died...Reap it..you tell me how its gonna go...

December 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • ringo

Harvard would have taught you to write better English.

December 15, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  19. chub

RACE WARS!!!!!

December 13, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  20. James

Unfortunately racism does still exist and most likely will always to some degree, the bad part are those who use racism as a crutch to get what their way when they shouldn't, and that just magnfies the issue.

December 13, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

Or in the case of minorities being favored in education systems and government contracts, racism against whites and particularly white males, often means you are excluded from the position because you aren't considered some kind of minority.

December 13, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  21. Cesar

While I agree that a lot of this is self inflicted on the blacks part, there is not a single place in the states that I would leave my car unlocked. Plenty of white people commit crime too.

December 13, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  22. obamainator

The saddest part was the question about how the government treats you. Really? We have an opinion about how we are served by the very people we put into office using the funds collected from taxing our wages? That govenrment??

Until black people can live up to that ideal trying to deal with thier other perceptions is a waste of time.

December 13, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  23. Wallace

Here we go again, the cnn mantra: white people bad, people of color saints, said while beating chest.

December 13, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  24. lol

I am a single black mom. I have 2 boys, one that is in his first year of college and the other in elementary with a 4.0 GPA. There are plenty of black ppl that are ignorant as well as many white ppl that are ignorant. I have never taught my children to think that just because they are black that they have few advantages in life because the “white man” is holding them back. It’s actually funny if some ppl really do that. If you want something out of life, you have to work hard for it, get an education. I am tired of hearing the “it’s because I’m black” excuse. Although it DOES happen, that is not always the reason. But from comments I see on here, it’s like you all think that ALL black ppl are welfare recipient, gang/thug related, killers that do nothing but destroy their neighborhoods because they listen to rap music. LOL. It shows how ignorant most of you are! What about the heavy metal devil rock music that white kids listen to? What about the white kids that go on shooting sprees in school? What about the white folks that kill and drag a black person because of the color of their skin? No one race is to blame. When ppl stop stereotyping and actually worry about bettering THEMSELVES, things will change. Until then, it will remain the same.

December 13, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

You are a wise woman. People like you help me be less cynical. Thanks.

December 13, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Absolutely!!!! There are good and bad in every race, gender, religion, etc, etc..... The problem with discrimination is when you lump a whole group together with generalizations instead of realizing they are all individuals with the ability to be the kind of person each WANTS to be.

December 13, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
      • 3rdEyeOpened

Speaking of generalizations and individualism, as a white person I can say that we are guilty of holding different standards in regards to these 2 words when judging minorities (blacks in particular). The problem is, when we (whites) see a positive accomplishment achieved by a black person, we look at them as an individual. And when we see something negative in regards to a black person (usually via the evil media), we use the term " typical of blacks", thus grouping and judging them as a whole instead.

And we do just the opposite when it comes to ourselves. When a white person commits a horrible crime or act ( Columbine kids, Arizona shooter, and the Norwegian Templar Knight are 3 recent examples), we tend to turn a blind eye and isolate them while individualizing ourselves in order prevent judgement and scrutiny from society. But the moment 1 white person accomplishes something considered to be a milestone, us whites as a whole tend to covet and grab hold to that accomplishment while flexing our muscles and gloating at minorities, as if all whites achieved it together. When in fact, it was that individual ALONE and nobody else. We have used this method all too well as a way of saying we are better. And it's about time we stopped this ignorance if we want a post racist society.

I'm in no way saying whites are the only people with issues when it comes to race. But as much racism that we encounter with blacks, it is obviously miniscule compared to what they probably go through on a daily basis with racism coming from us. The majority of their racism stems from retribution and retaliation, and ours tend to be a lot more on the offensive. Usually when someone retaliates, it's usually 2 fold or more damaging than what was thrown at them. This is why we may view blacks as more racist than whites in our society today.

December 15, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

You know LOL white people don't like it when you show them their flaws. For example the white guy at my job once told me that all people of middle eastern descent should be put through extra security at the airports. (Yes he said this to me at work and I have also heard the expression towel head on several occasions) because they might be terrorist. He wasn't at all happy with me when I said then white people should also be put through extra security at the airports because they have committed the most terrorist acts in this country and they might be terrorists. Its easier for them to point out the flaws in "others" and not themselves.

December 13, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Toto

"Its easier for them to point out the flaws in "others" and not themselves."

Its easier for 'People' to point out the flaws in 'others,' and not in themselves. Fixed it for you.

December 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wer

There are Hispanics and Asians working across this country many treated like slaves or subhumans and all you can talk about is me me me me. It's always the same thing your argument is about your people not racism as a whole. As long as blacks aren't mistreated, screw the rest. So yes you arguments are getting old and tiring. You hate racism so much start standing up for everyone mistreated.

December 13, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • southernpride

excellent post well said.

December 13, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

You are providing both solution and the problem in your statements. Its great that even as a single mother you have pushed your kids to do well. Even greater is that you appear by your statements to be telling your kids that race is irrelevant, as every race has extremes. In addition your are clearly right that racism "DOES happen" and you could be right about the responses on this forum (though I haven't read enough to know). Where you clearly show that YOU are still racist yourself is you rhetoric on "metal devil rock music" and shooting sprees. Really? Have you actually looked at the data? You are willing to blast that out there? As clearly stated even by you yourself their are ignorant white people just as much as black, so what would a white person killing a black person be odd? To me anyone wiling to murder for any reason is warped and deranged, so why not racist? You appear to think that racism is one day going to up and disappear if we all just ignore race, and I agree only to the degree that it is already disappearing, and rapidly. It will never be gone completely, as we will never get rid of murder and theft, and it seems by your comments that subconsciously it will only take 1 white person in 200,000,000 to do something stupid and the country is rampant with racism again. You old biased (maybe for a good reason) folks need to get over yourselves and your issues and let the majority of the younger generations that hardly see race, deal with this. The solution is not more attention, more scholarships, more laws, etc. Its simply and utterly time.

December 13, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. LiveFreeofDie

I can not believe the racism on this forum. I guess I should believe as it reflects the poll results. Conclusions:
    1. This forum confirms what I see everyday, racism is a huge problem in this country.
    2. Most people lie (or could be in denial) when asked if they are racist.
    3. There is a big difference between previous immigrants working there way up after coming here willingly and a whole population of people being force to come here, and traded like a piece of meat and made a slave.
    If you are a white male and 'pulled yourself up by your bootstraps' (as GW Bush once claimed), it was because you started off in a much better position then those around you, you family had money and connections, and are part of a network (yes, the good old boy network exists today) that gave you a huge advantage day one.

December 13, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Sgt Slaughter

My single mother that was able to get our family by on $150/mo WITHOUT accepting welfare back in the mid 70's. We ate mac and cheese (the ramen of its day), spaghetti, or hotdogs (the cheap kind) on a rotating basis for dinner for YEARS. The only time that I got new shoes was when I wore holes in the bottom of my old ones. She picked herself up and worked two jobs just to keep a roof over our heads when the landlord raised rent on our apartment. We had almost nothing. Christmas usually amounted to what sweaters she was able to knit and ALL of my pants had dark blue rings around the ankles because when we did get new blue jeans, she had to buy them 3 sized large and hemmed them up, then as we grew into them she let them out. All of my clothes had patches sewn into them... We were POOR. Now she owns her own home that is almost paid off in the countryside in Vermont and is making 55K per year. I worked hard, enlisted in the military, busted my butt. I am also still putting myself through college and I am making over 60K per year. I find it HARD to believe that anyone came up much poorer, as welfare paid people more than my mother ever made in my early years yet she chose to stay away from the stigma attached to welfare recipients back then. Now welfare is a commonplace crutch and a badge of honor for the poor. Tell me that I came from a place of privelage or started out on higher ground than someone that is black. Tell me that I was given opportunity over blacks when my admission to EKU was overturned because they had met their quota and were only accepting "other" students. Tell me that I advanced faster than blacks in the military when I watched as minorities captured the majority of "free" promotions. Tell me that I haven't earned my place... I DARE YOU!

December 13, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  26. TexasMike

I'm a white professional and work with two black men in a fairly small group – we've had exactly this discussion before.

The consensus is that racism absolutely continues to exist. It tends to be more overt in the South, more "velvet glove" in the North – but definitely there. Its a pretty complex issue, and there are a lot of contributing factors.

Part of the reason it continues to exist is because the government continues to insist that blacks be treated differently. For example, some years ago I applied to the US Postal Service. My score on the test was good enough to get the job – but only if I was black – because blacks got an automatic (and substantial) bonus on their scores. Likewise college admissions, etc., etc.

Another reason it continues to exist is because black culture perpetuates the behavior that causes the discrimination. My black coworkers tell me how their acquaintances, friends, and even family have called them sellouts because they became successful on their own merits. When the "successors" of MLK tell blacks they're not capable of making it on their own, but have to have handouts to be on even footing with whites, and blacks get the same message from the government and their own families – a lot of them are going to believe it. Then many of those who do then turn to the ways their culture tells them they -can- be successful – which perpetuate the stereotype. It is no accident that blacks from outside the US who are naturalized citizens are often more prejudiced against US blacks than whites are.

For those who brought up Asians, it is absolutely a valid comparison – there was a time when most Asians in the US were brought here as slaves or "indentured servants" and they are just as recognizable as blacks by sight. ...yet the stereotypes of Asians in the US are completely different than those of blacks – and with good reason.

Blacks are absolutely capable of going the same route Asians did – but it will take a fundamental culture shift, where they stop blaming others for their problems, start valuing education, and start believing they can succeed on their own. I work with two men who proved it can be done, even in the face of the racism they experienced from whites, and from their own people.

December 13, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

You are so right. Our misguided attempts to create "fairness" have only made the problem worse. Of course African-American people are as capable as any other racial group. It is cultural flaws – both in the black community and in the larger society – that create underachievement. If only more black folks about a hundred years ago had listened to Booker T. Washington rather than W.E.B. DuBois, we wouldn't be having this problem today.

December 13, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. Unbelieveable

Look at all these posts. The media outlets must love it – how else will the justify the price of their ads to their clients.
    That being said, how do you expect to change way people feel in such a comparatively short amount of time. So much hurt and pain. There is always extremes. Look at Black Entertainment Television (BET) can you imagine the uproar if a WET channel existed? It is a tough call. We want to be proud of our heritage, both black and white, but that just breeds racism in the end. It might be better to consider ourselves as different shades of brown. Immense poverty is more of an issue now. As long as there are have and have nots, there will always be some form of hate as we look for people to blame.

December 13, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  28. DaveNYUSA

Did anyone REALLY think just because we elected our first black guy that racism (which is inherant in ALL beings) would just go away?!

December 13, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  29. Hank M

I work at construction sites from New England down through the South(Im white btw).

Im sure there is moderate bias everywhere, but most Northerners would be should at the amount of overt racism you hear from some Southerners. And most of them dont even realize they are being racist when they do it.

December 13, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Plain Joe

I have to agree with you on that. It is very racist down here, but most don't realize it or want to see it. They use the words ""them people" and think that they have outgrown racism.

December 13, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

I am not a construction worker, but I am from the south. I grew up in an area majority black. My shool had about half the class white, my church had about half white. On my shcool bus I sometimes would not be allowed to sit down when I got on. I am a white man.
      I now live in NY state. I have heard many comments that are racist from the locals here, they make me feel unconfortale. The job I have has only about 5 percent black, 10 percent foreign visa holding employees, and the rest are white. The schools in the suburbs here are all white. In the city, 15 miles away, most of the schools are mostly filled wil black students. In the inner city mostly only black residents live. Don't try to tell me that the south is racists and the north is not. Here both groups don't even live nor work amongst each other. I wonder if you also segreagte your churches like you do your schools, and your suburbs in the north?

December 13, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  30. Plain Joe

Don't worry, this vile system will end soon enough when least expected. That's why we have to keep on the watch and not allow ourselves to conform to this worldly system.

December 13, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  31. bud

"Irish, Italians, Jewish and many other minorities overcame prejudice and worked their way up. Blacks should do the same without any special favors," As long as blacks are coddled, they will choose to remain on the lower rung. It's their choice. If the Irish can do it, blacks can too.

December 13, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Hey bud, I don't think Italians or Irish had to work themselves out of slavery. No group, except maybe Native Americans, have experienced racism as African American have.

December 13, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Sgt Slaughter

You need to learn more about early American history John. Also... did you forget a little thing called the "Holocaust"? You must have overlooked that one. Those filthy Americans did not go over and raid villages in Africa and kidnap hundreds of people at a time with their dozen shipmates (at most) on each boat. They BOUGHT African slaves FROM African slave owners and RESOLD them to American slave owners.

December 13, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  32. Ihavehadenough

there not their

December 13, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  33. bfskinnerpunk

If I don't get hired for a job, it is because of my own failure to negotiate the interview (I'm a white guy)
    If a black guy doesn't get hired, he will think it is because of racism.

That's THE difference and says a lot about our perspectives.

December 13, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • carmagtri

yes so true

December 13, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  34. IndyTraveler

New generations don't care AT ALL. Get over yourselves and quit whining. Have a good life or a bad one, but it's up to you.

December 13, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  35. Paul K

The issue should be about human fallibility and the human hard-wired tendency to identify with a group that has no basis in factual reality. Group-ident.ty does not require that the group actually exist as perceived, it only requires that the concept be attractive to the individual who cannot help but identify with various types of groups because that's how our human brains work.
    From family groups to ethnic groups; from neighborhoods to nationalistic groups; from human perception at birth to viewing all of humanity as a group, our brains have evolved from primate animal "tribes" to seek out groups to which one can identify with for many instinctual purposes.
    This is why we have all these labels in the first place. And it is also why we have violence and wars and anti-social behavior.
    Anthropology is where it's at, people. Examine human behavior and you'll understand without needing group labels to see the underlying causes of such things as "racism" or other sociopathic behaviors.

December 13, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  36. Anthony

Each time a story likes this comes out it brings out the worst responses with many showing their ignorance. African-Americans needs to understand that the "Anchors" in our community are not White but many other African-Americans. The day that I see Whites carjacking, robbing and selling drugs in our community then I can say that they are the ones holding us back.

Racism still exist and there is not doubt with the economy being what it is that many look for scapegoats to their own inability to enhance their skills to remain marketable. That is why there is so much hatred towards Hispanics especially Mexicans by Whites simply because many of them will come here and do jobs which a "Poor" White will do to earn a living like a Handyman, Carpenter, Landscaping and do it better and many times cheaper.

For many Blacks we chastize our own who make the attempt to get an education by calling them "Sellouts" yet embrace the "Dumbing" down of our community. In the end the country suffers as those from India, Pakistan, China and Europe are coming here opening up businesses having Americans work for them since our nation is too damn dumb embracing nonsense like this.

December 13, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
    • kev

HMM. interesting view. I am in the "Other" catagory. I am a mix of american Indian, Irish & Polynesian, I work somewhere with a pretty good mix of ethnic groups. we have several hispanic and black supervisors, and 1 white guy. The black guys I work with always complain about the white guy even though he does not ask any more than the any other supervisors. none of the hispanic guys complain about him or the other supervisors, none of the white guys complain about the other supervisors. I don't understand why they( the black guys) complain unless it is becuase the guy is white

December 13, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • No future

I'm half white, half black. My father and his family are "really black" and my mom and her family are "really white". I tend to identify with my white side more just because i have a close realtionship with my mom. however I can say my mother's side of the family can tend to be racist and be oblivious to what they say or do. I think that white america thinks that black people deserve their sufferings because they grew up thinking that is how they are supposed to be treated. Black people hold on to their culture because thats all they had before civil rights to make them proud. lets not forget that civil rights happened only 40 years ago. within our life time! but blacks for many many years before were never given the oppertunity to be intergrated within society. Long story short. WHITE PEOPLE WAKE UP AND SEE THE INEQUALITY. BLACK PEOPLE LET THE CHAINS FALL OFF< SOCIETY HAS GIVEN YOU THE KEYS.

December 13, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  37. Kris in AL

I for one would like to SEE tangible examples of "discrimination." I live in Alabama and see a lot of "self inflicted" discrimination. Since it's VERY illegal to discriinate based on race, one would think racial discrimination would stand out?

The other thing I hear, is the fact that the only segment of our society using the N word are black rappers.

December 13, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  38. Joshua

Perception does not always accurately reflect reality, especially if you've been listening to al sharpton.

Blacks feel discriminated against simply because they're poorer and more crime ridden. However this is simply not the result of a massive racist conspiracy.

Attempting to make races "equal" is in itself racism – to favor a minority race over a majority race.

December 13, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  39. RD

"Tim Wise is anti-racist essayist and activist whose work often deals with white responses to racism."

And his bias is showing. If this article is attempting to reignite a black-white issue, why are we getting "Latino" stats? Was the author even alive in the US in the 1950s or 1960s?

December 13, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lee

Ah, here we go with race again. This is the reason racism never ends, we just keep regurgitating the same old thing year after year. It may appear that blacks, or any so called minority, is at a disadvantage, but from what I've seen in college, they are receiving more scholarships and grants and opportunities because of their race. Is that not racism againsts whites then, when they say you can't apply for this scholarship because you are white? I've also gone to college with some very intelligent and successful blacks and you know the reason why they are successful? They don't allow their race or anyone elses race to cloud their judgement. They just do the best they can and push themselves to succeed. Race is only an issue because we have made it one. Those blacks who think they are at a disadvantage also put themselves at a disadvantage by living the lives they chose. Obviously not every black person in America is disadvantaged because many hold high ranks in government and in corporations, they also hold advanced degrees and have successful careers. Why didn't racism hold them back?

December 13, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  41. Johnnyola

I don't understand why CNN cares so much about race. Now that Obama has been elected (and I voted for him, unfortunately) I won't let any articles such as this get a pass anymore. CNN won't do a story about being "White in America". Why not? How many White neighborhoods do Blacks have to get out of? It's 2012 and despite the "Great Society", Affirmative Action and other programs..........just look at the Black community. Unfortunately the Black culture of "get respect by having flashy things" has seriously damaged our nation. I don't feel bad for them at all.

December 13, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • AZpatriot

that sounds pretty racist tome, and i'm white.

December 13, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  42. wot90s

Why will CNN continue to create hatred, racism, when it is not so... You post pics that are 60 years ago. When will Media stop creating lies? Why do we listen and watch you. I dont anymore. All Media does is spew lies, hatred, racism. Most all of what you and other TV entertainment broadcasts are negative. This country will never prosper, succeed and move forward as long we people continue to watch news.
    you have lost a viewer..

December 13, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Chimp

You must be one of the little to no discrimination respondants. Or, is it the tiny piece of the world you occupy contains no racism, ergo there is none?

December 13, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  43. pocogeejo

Sorry, Bush left.

December 13, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  44. mogdaork

Two things,
    One most white people do not care either way for blacks, we simply just want to work go about our lives. Black people as a whole worry too much about what other people have rather then what they have. Why is it then instead of bettering their own community they bang on about what others have. the gov has never given whites anything, there is a myth of white privilege that we some how have some advantage simply by being white. well we dont.
    second @theraven stop dragging up the past, ya want the truth Irish were the first slaves brought into the US, not to mention the Irish conscription drive by the north to fight a war they had nothing to do with ?

December 13, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • AZpatriot

@ mogdaork: you sir, are an idiot.

December 13, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  45. Bob

Did it occur to the researcher that people perceive racism against them when none existed, not because they're nuts but because they're expecting racism? We'll be much better off when we realize that there IS NO SUCH THING AS "RACE," that it's totally made up, and that it was simply a tool used to justify colonialism. There is no scientific evidence whatsoever, and no way to define, "race" amongst humans. Look up "American Anthropological Association statement on race." We should follow Morgan Freeman's advice and simply "stop talking about" race.

December 13, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • bfskinnerpunk

Didn't Morgan recently accuse the Tea Party of Anti-black (Obama) racism?
      Incidentally, race does exist just as breeds of dogs exist. Yes, they are part of the same species, but there may or may not be differences. The jury is still out on that.

December 13, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. bfskinnerpunk

Asians... who were explicitly, officially hated very recently... are now making higher median incomes than whites in a mostly white nation. Is this because Asians are keeping the white and black man down? I don't think so. I am suggesting that there is something else that explains their success.... and it ain't racism.

December 13, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Thor

That's because they are a smarter people and are predisposed to predominately populate the globe.

December 13, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
      • pocogeejo

Sorry, Bush already left...

December 13, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  47. Henry Miller

Or there's the third option: that blacks see an advantage in playing victim as a justification for demanding all kinds of social and economic dispensations. That a big majority of blacks are Democrats tends to support this theory–Democrats are very much the party of "someone else owes me a living."

December 13, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  48. Grim Reaper

How many white neighborhoods do blacks have to stay out of? Whole ghettos of drug dealing, pimping, welfare grabbing criminals and we're supposed to feel sorry. The black man goes to the front of the line every time while the poor white man is supposed to give up his seat-and feel bad for it. Step up or step off.

December 13, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  49. Roos

What about those blacks, how did they respond to questions whose answers from whites were "irish", "italians" or "jewish"? Did they say: "mande", "wolof" or "yoruba"? This goes to show you that the way people experience, segregation, discrimination or inequality cannot be dealt simplistically like saying: "try hard" or whatever.

December 13, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  50. WhatThe

"Tim Wise is anti-racist essayist and activist whose work often deals with white responses to racism"
    This right here tells me this man is a blantant racist. He really has a rag on about 'white' people.
    His reasoning is why Blacks Hispanics and Asians hate 'white' people so much
    Yea Wise Keep making your money on your spreading of pure hatred

December 13, 2011 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  51. yahmez

If blacks want to be treated as equals, they should drop the ghetto slang, stay in school, stop idolizing thugs, and PULL THEIR DAMN PANTS UP. Black men should stay and raise their children. Get rid of the gang mentality that has you at odds with society. You will find you have been equal all along.

December 13, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  52. bfskinnerpunk

If a large subset of a people reject their women, their children, reject education, and each other.... and pepper that with 3rd World country type violence on each other...
    There are two issues from that:
    1. Dismal chances of success (and it ain't the blue eye'd devil that is creating such failure)
    2. As a result, the opinions of others about your "group" won't be stellar. Is that racism?
    The blue eye'd devil ain't the problem.... at all.

December 13, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
    • pocogeejo

This is exactly the way it is.

December 13, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  53. Anon

Stereotyping is what is keeping racism alive. And for those of you who thing racism is dead, go take a walk through the ghetto and make note of who lives there. Watch any of those tv programs about prison gangs and notice how the occupants are housed and how the facilities are ran.

December 13, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
    • bfskinnerpunk

Are you of the belief that the people in those ghettos are civil, decent, educated people trying hard to succeed? Hint: It isn't their color that is keeping them down.

December 13, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
    • yahsure

I don't know what race you claim, but if you're none black, I challenge you to take a walk though the ghetto. Even if you're black, I'll challenge you to walk though someone else's hood on a Saturday night. Be sure to "make note" of how many times you're challenged verbally or threatened physically during your journey.

December 13, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  54. bfskinnerpunk

The author needs to compare the incomes of people in the same jobs. Does a black physicist make $500 less weekly than a white one (or asian one ...or hispanic one?). Unlikely.
    Side note: The income of someone who majors in social work or black studies can not expect to get rich. Major in the hard sciences, and then we'll talk.

December 13, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
    • OrangeW3dge

"More than two-thirds of black people surveyed (67%) believed that black people in general make less money than whites. But the majority of whites (59%) believed that they made about the same."

December 13, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

This wasn't about a study of reality, but of people's PERCEPTIONS. The study then begs the question, why the disparity in opinion. Not saying you aren't correct in the need to also look at the reality (does a black carpenter make less than a white carpenter*), but just pointing out what the article is talking about.

* I say "black" and "white" because people define themselves as such. In reality, there is no such thing as "race" among humans – look up "American Anthropological Association statement on race"...

December 13, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  55. shawn L

The only racism that is tolerated, is racism against white people.

December 13, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
    • pocogeejo

How true it is.

December 13, 2011 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • kev

I am in that other group, a Mutt. I have seen many white guys accused or racisism for asking a black guy to do the same work as everyone else when it was their turn for a specific task. we haveboth white and hispanic supervisorsand it was only when the white guy asked him to do the work was the race card played.

December 13, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  56. shawn L

Potato + orange = apple. This is the same logic being used in this article. Blacks earn less. Ok? Why. Education, location, and types of jobs they take. Maybe it has something to do with what seems to be every black youth wanting to become an entertainer, ie, sports or music vs going to college. Or maybe its the culture that dismisses the importance of education? Racism is used as an excuse for why people can't make it, when they never tried in the first place.

December 13, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  57. Thor

In my 53 years of wandering around all of these great United States, I find that Protestant Religions are a very safe haven for White Anglo Saxon Protestants.

December 13, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Thor

I also find that residence in Miami-Dade County will make a white person experience racism against whites very very heavily.

December 13, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • keith123

Thor: Do you think the word, Protestant, has anything to do with one associating with the other? Do you think the African Methodist Episcopal church might be a safe haven for black Africans?

December 13, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Thor

Answer: Ever hear of the word WASP?

December 13, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
      • keith123

The word "wasp" is a flying insect. WASP is an acronym for White Anglo Saxon Protestant. I've heard of both.

December 13, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |