Maya Angelou defuses feud with rapper Common over 'N' word
Common's "The Dreamer/The Believer" features Maya Angelou, but she wasn't expecting him to use the "N" word.
December 23rd, 2011

Maya Angelou defuses feud with rapper Common over 'N' word

It was reported earlier this week that Dr. Maya Angelou was upset with the rapper Common over his use of the "N" word on his new album, but Angelou has since clarified that there isn't a dispute.

Common's just-released "The Dreamer/The Believer" features Angelou, 83, reciting a poem on the track "The Dreamer." The New York Post reported Sunday that Angelou was "horrified" that the rapper would have her appear on a song in which he uses the term.

The legendary poet was quoted as saying that she was "surprised and disappointed," adding, "I don't know why he chose to do that. I had never heard him use that [word] before. I had admired him so because he wasn't singing the line of least resistance."

On Monday, Angelou called in to BET's "106 & Park," where Common was talking about his new album, and, according to a statement, said "disappointed" was the wrong word.

Read the full story on CNN's Marquee blog

1. devil's advocate

To Dylan: I don't propose censureship. In the United States we all have freedom of speech. What we don't have is freedom to how others react to it. To Opalescence: I belong to the democratic party. I live in the black belt of GA. Most of my friends are black. I've listened to a lot of rap. Some is OK. However too much offers little to make people lead better lives. I am a senior citizen. In the end, its what you contribute. The n-word contributes nothing by nobody.

January 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Snake

Comments (1 comment)

Maya Angelou defuses feud with rapper Common over 'N' word....oh my God, it's not like we don't all know the 'N" word. Get off the fake polictically correwct crap. I know alot of "blacks", they call each other "that" all the time. Nobody gaves a crap. Get a life, leave everybody else alone for God's sake.

December 30, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • devil's advocate

the problem with African americans using the n-word is that white Americans can lose their job and have serious repercussions for using the word. It creates hard feelings and distrust that black America would apply such a double standard and feel that it is OK. I know that many think that black America can not be guilty of rascism since they have been the victim of it. The truth is that any human being has the capacity to choose whether to discriminate. I think it is time that African Americans lose jobs over the word too. It is not healthy for teenage and young adults to be hearing the word.

January 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • dylan

spoken like a true communist who favors censorship.

January 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Opalescence

I'm convinced that you live in a cave buried under a rock and that you don't even know 2 black people on a personal level. You base your views on Fox News and whatever the Republican party tells you to believe. You're a social moron.

January 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MKULTRA CHIPMAN

NEW – NOT LIABILITIES OR DISCRIMINATION, BUT INSTEAD ASSASSINATIONS !!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION, UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!! http://myshortbiography.blogspot.com

ABDUCTIONS / RENDITIONS / BRAIN CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / BLACKBALLING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING against civilian population TODAY ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA / ASSASSINATIONS and much more per WHO, WHY, AND HOW !!! http://myshortbiography.blogspot.com/

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship ever !!!) !!

This news is related to WHITES AREN’T WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw&w=640&h=360]