Q&A: 'Heart and Soul' author Kadir Nelson on illustrating African-American history
Kadir Nelson wrote and illustrated the Coretta Scott King Award-winning book "Heart and Soul."
January 24th, 2012

By Stephanie Siek, CNN

(CNN) - "Most folks my age and complexion don’t speak much about the past," says the grandmotherly African-American woman who narrates "Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans," a book illustrated and written by Kadir Nelson.

The American Library Association announced Monday that "Heart and Soul" won the Coretta Scott King Book Award in the author category, and as an honor winner in the illustrator category. Last week, it was announced the book is a nominee for an NAACP Image Award for children's literature.

"Many of us are getting up in age and feel it’s time to make some things known before they are gone for good. So it’s important that you pay attention, honey, because I’m only going to tell you this story but once," the unnamed narrator says.

The narrator’s words are accompanied by Nelson's sculptural, intensely colorful illustrations, which interweave images of American history with those of her family’s struggles and triumphs in a country that only recently acknowledged their full potential as human beings.

Nelson’s book was selected among more than 100 entries for the award, which aims to promote children’s books, authors and illustrators that portray some aspect of the African-American experience. Jonda McNair, who chaired the award selection committee, said they were impressed by Nelson's marriage of the text to the illustrations.

This isn't the first time Nelson has been honored by the committee – in 2004, he was honored for illustrations in "Thunder Rose," by Jerdine Nolen. He went on to win the illustrator award in 2005 for "Ellington Was Not a Street," by Ntozake Shange, and in 2007 for "Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom," written by Carole Boston Weatherford. And in 2009, Nelson earned both the author’s award and illustrator's honor for "We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball."

"He always seems to outdo himself," said McNair, an associate professor of literacy education at Clemson University. "When he came out with 'We are the Ship' I didn’t think it would be possible for him to follow up with something so soon, and with something so thorough and so good, but he did."

Nelson, 37, grew up in New Jersey and San Diego and now lives in Los Angeles. He started drawing at age 3. In addition to his book illustrations, his work has been commissioned by a range of companies and individuals, from Coca Cola to Michael Jackson  - Nelson’s panoramic portrait of Jackson’s career was used for the cover of Jackson’s posthumous album, "Michael."

CNN: First off, congratulations on winning the Coretta Scott King Book Award!

Kadir Nelson:  It's always great to be recognized, especially by librarians, so it's wonderful. Every award is a surprise, you hope you'll be recognized, but it's not something you take for granted.

CNN: Tell me a bit about how you got started as an author and illustrator.

Nelson: I’ve been illustrating books since '99. My first published book (as a writer) was in 2008, but that book took about seven years, so (work began) the year 2000, I believe.  I was doing freelance artwork – album covers, editorial work, advertising work. I did a painting that ended up in a juried show, where an author took notice of it and asked if I wanted to illustrate a book. I had also worked with Debbie Allen on a film called "Amistad," and through working with her, she asked me if I would be interested in illustrating a book for her that had been a play.

CNN: Do you consider yourself mainly an illustrator or mainly an artist? Or both?

Nelson: I guess I’m a combination of both. I like the term artist, or painter.  Mostly I work with oil paint.

CNN: Which artists have particularly influenced your style of illustration?

Nelson: There are hundreds of artists, but my style has been heavily influenced by Norman Rockwell, N.C. Wyeth, Ernie Barnes, Dean Cornwell, Charles White. I like the style, I like their technique, the emotion that comes through their work, the light and shadow, the drama, the use of color and storytelling.

CNN: A lot of your work deals with African-American history and themes. What about it inspires you?

Nelson: I think what’s always most important to me is the story behind the images, and in African-American history, the human drama is often very dramatic.  African-American history is full of drama and really interesting stories and paradoxes that I’m really drawn to. And being African-American myself, having grown up learning this history, I really enjoy telling it in my own way.

CNN: The book for which you won the award, "Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans," is narrated by an older African-American woman. Is that character based on anyone you know?

Nelson: That voice is a combination of my maternal grandmother and Debbie Allen.  My grandmother is kind of a no-nonsense, give-it-to-you-straight kind of storyteller. Debbie speaks with a lot of – I describe it as a Texas twang. She’s very sweet and very warm, and adds a bit of Texas flavor to the way she speaks, often punctuated with "honey" or "chile." It helps sweeten up that very direct delivery. I interviewed them both, along with other members of my extended family and friends.

There weren’t any direct stories that came from my grandmother, but there is a slave narrative that came from my family which is in the book, the story about the black-eye peas. In my family, the African-American tradition of having black-eye peas on New Year's Day was forbidden because the last slaves in my family remembered that the slave owner where they lived would cook up all the peas and serve them in a horse trough, and the slaves would have to eat out of it.  So that was a very poignant memory from my family.

CNN: Those can be difficult memories to share.

Nelson: I thought about the fact that in some of my interviews – and I heard the same in other African-American families – when the subject of slavery was brought up, the elders would be very tight-lipped about it, because it was a difficult part of history. That’s why I opened the book that way, because it's a history you may want not want to share with a child because it was a shameful history.  With the election of an African-American president, I heard that many of those stories began to emerge.

CNN: Do you hope this might help older generations share their memories with younger generations?

Nelson: Well, it certainly is a talking point and a great way to introduce this part of history to young readers. I’ve heard that it has served as a bridge and a great read-aloud too – to serve that purpose of getting family talking not only about African-American history, but family history and how it interrelates to the larger American story. All our family have their own stories, and America is really one big family made up of millions of families, whose stories are intertwined in this great tapestry of history that is uniquely American.

Posted by
Filed under: Black in America • Education • History • Race • Who we are
  1. Anonymous

I can say that minkyu is so cool. Thanks for the helpful post.

March 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ughhh

I forgot to mention the awful spelling that is featured in these posts by whites and blacks....ughhh.

January 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kruelgor

There is nothing wrong with blacks still talking about the past. We still talk about the Roman enslavement of white people of 2000 years ago.

January 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

move forward N I G G A. This is coming from a blackman

January 31, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cynthia Robinson

Elaine R. Smith.....Eloquently and compassionately stated......Words from an old soul......but above all....So very very TRUE...I personally thank you! God Bless!

January 30, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

bless me too Cynthia

February 2, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cheryl

Wow, I'm so sad to see the awful comments following this article about kadir Nelson. I am so happy and proud of him.

January 28, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Emily Diane Gunter

Let us thank Kadir for telling the full history of African Americans in USA in truth, so simply and with love. He tells the truth and let others navigate around him. When he tells the truth as he has done in Heart and Soul, others get to feel what is in side of them and move emotionally to a better place if they choose to. Congratulations to Kadir and all the awards!!

January 28, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lol

As a country we r failing

January 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Elaine R. Smith

For all of those trying to reason with the white racist posting their hateful venom on this board, please stop wasteing your time.
    Would you try to reason with a dog crazed with rabies? Their words can't hurt us. We've survived every monsterous act that they've done to us and we're still here. We're strong and we can't be defeated. They're afraid because soon people of color will out number them.It doesn't matter what words or tactics they use, they will fail.They are a morally bankrupt people with only their seething hate left to confort them. We should feel sorry for them and prey for their souls. Keep strong. Teach your children our history with pride and remind them how strong and beautiful we are. God has always been with us and he has promised never to leave us. Thank you to those poster who understand how evil racial hatred is and how it destroys those who hate. God bless you.

January 25, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Elaine R. Smith

I'm African

January 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jorge

African American existential angst is not so much a function of slavery as a symptom of the divisive, antisocial, historically segregated nature of U.S. society, and it is not uniquely African American. The reason that I say this is because you do not see hardly as much of it (although it does exist) in parts of the Caribbean and Latin America where slavery was abolished after it was in the U.S., but where the ex-slave and his culture were incorporated into the mainstream of society much more readily than they were here. In the U.S. it has always been an Olympic problem for people of different ethnicities and races to see each other as dignified human beings on equal terms, which on a general global level is not all that rare, but among modern civilized nations is pitiful. Native, Irish, Italian, African, German, Asian and Hispanic Americans have all been witness to that at one point or other throughout U.S. history. (Although I was born in NYC, I have worked/lived in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, the lesser Antilles, Costa Rica, the ABC islands, Canada and the Southeastern U.S., so I have a reason for my perspective).

January 25, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. 123

....pay your taxs like obama told u too!

January 24, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Montana

Soylent Green.

January 25, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Will Smith

Hatred is born out of fear and ignorance. I don't say that out of judgment or a sense of self-righteousness. I say it out of love. I hope that everyone will someday come to understand that your hatred hurts you more than anyone else. For those of you who believe in God, I hope you find Him, for God is Love and without love you cannot have God. For those of you who don't. I hope that you find peace. One thing is certain: whether you are a believer or not, you will never be at peace as long as you have hatred!!!

January 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Montana

You the idiot. The USA is the least or one of the least ignorant nations. Where is you invention by ethnic group post aside from your parroting left wing propaganda. GOD BLESS AMERICA NOT GOD FUC* AMERICA LIKE 'BO's' pasture said.

January 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene A. Brown

Agree! When Parents in Atlanta were angered by Slaves (chattel property) used in a Mathematical equation with pigs
      was an indication that slavery should be taught at school and home because many young people do not know much about the history of slavery. A thorough account of slavery which is a must read is recommended (www.Xlibris.com?ReparationsforSlavery.html)

January 25, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. 1rooster

I thought black people didn't read. Boy, was I wrong. I know better now after reading some of these crappy blogs.

January 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • yep

why? does it make you feel good to knock people? you dont even KNOW what you are talking about. why? did you even know that Africans spoke different languages before they came here as slavery so you could have a rich pampered land. And some were killed for trying to learn english b/c they wanted to keep us in the dark so to further oppress a people so they can be rich. so your comment shows your bigotry, ignorance and boredom . DID you READ the article and what it was even ABOUT. please leave us alone. please find a purpose and go do it! PLEaSE.

January 24, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Will Smith

After reading all these comments I feel like I need a shower. You people are really sick and your hatred will consume you. May God have mercy on your souls!!!

January 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Montana

No wonder CNN lost first place in ratings. All ethnic groups had it the best they ever had it in USA. Why doesn't CNN do an article on how South Africa's economy collapsed or Asian or Caucasian heritage in Africa over the last 60,000 years.

January 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • yep

go away. please. why can't you just let the brother have a page. i mean really #selfish

January 24, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tony Montana

If I was selfish I would have 10 **WIVES** like in parts of the most GENETIC MUSLIM Africa. It doesn't pay in the long run. Curly hair and dark skin has do to the caste system that is why Asians and Caucasians don't have black skin and curly hair.

January 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • L. Herrington

I agree completely. I feel sick and disheartened by this display of ignorance. To the members of all races who read this thread with the disgust I do.. I love you. I know that doesn't change anything for you, but I just wanted you to know that. God bless you for what you have to go through on a daily basis to get by in this country. I would give you anything of mine you would ever need that I could give you. I just wish peace of mind was more easily given.

January 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jorge

Mr. or Ms. Herrington, my best wishes go out to you also, although I do not know you, your comment reveals a true distinction of class, evolution and humanity that defies any relativistic metrics of the times. Sir or Madam, you have stated very much in short, significant words. To you I wish the very best providence.

January 25, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony Montana

How about a black CNN and a white CNN. There is a 'black entertainment channel'. We get pick the channels we pay for in USA. It might take a lawsuit to get we pay for the channels we want to watch in our homes. People get the channels they want to pay for. It's better than giving welfare tax dollars to crack heads and BO's continued cannibalization of the rich.

January 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jammaster

Welfare is pocket change compared to 86% of SS and disability that is distributed to a group that includes meth heads.

This is why we must study history. Myths and lies about an ethnic group fuels hate and ignorance. This can clearly seen by the hateful trolls that are trying to high jack this thread.

January 31, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. F. Daniel Grey

One more thing Fact is....we will be.pushing daisys..all of us...unless ur cremated!

January 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. F. Daniel Gray

Before I begin for real @CNN. don't stop the comments. After all, the posting about Mr Nelson's book was meant to inspire those very responses. For all I know the person is an instigator sent to inflame. Unnecessary actually, since the question of "race," remains controversial in the US. Umm, nothing like selectivity and avoiding history to make a point. I am a black/marxist/atheist and a historian.

The oldest human type bones (the discovering Leakey family called her "Lucy") unearthed (1970s) so far, go back almost a million years. According to radio-active dating. All present humans are descended from the "African" continent. Don't forget, the traveling Europeans originated the names of the continents we now use. They never consulted the people who were living there when they came as to descriptions of the places. The Canadians, under prodding by the Inuits, have decided to abandon the racist term "indian," and now use the identifying and more accurate term, the First Nations peoples. The identifying term "American Indian," being no better, since "America" did not exist when they arrived over the land bridge from "Asia," over 15 thousand years ago.

Our president (though I did not and wouldn't vote for him-a war monger, he is my president), unless you promote the racist "one drop" rule, is, just as easily, "white." And, probably more than half of the "black"population, can be seen as descendants of the "white" oppressors, who forcibly impregnated slave women; then denied the resulting children had any rights. The poet Corky Gonzales' poem, "I am Joaquin" puts that all in perspective vis a vis the Spanish conquistadores, who, having not brought women with them, took the women who they found here. In fact, the entire Southern half of the "American continent" has a population, whose majority is Mestizo ( a mixture of the European/African/First Nations people)

HurtfulTruth ought to recognize that every nation to the South of the US has a slave descended population (ranging from about 1% in Argentina, to upwards of 40% in Brazil, Cuba, etc.) who were treated similarly as those in the US.

"White" Europeans coined the term "race" in the 17th century, in order to identify "inferior"people. It has absolutely no scientific validity. Are Latinos a race? What "race" are the Pacific Islanders? The First Nations peoples came to this "continent" over a land bridge from the "Asian continent." And, most importantly, who gets to decide? At present, it's still "white" people. For they originally used the term "African-American in the early 19th century. You can look that up in the Oxford English Dictionary. WEB DuBois was one of the earliest "blacks" to use the term.

Most of the posts here are in over their heads. However, You're welcome to your opinions. But NOT your own facts.

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pumpkineater

Cute story, you are still a disgusting race of rapists, murderers and criminals and that will not be ignored as much as much as you would wish it to be.

If you are a historian, you are a poor one who doesn't know the facts and looks at everything from your racist afro centric perspective. You are dull, boring and a white child could do a better job of studying REAL history than you ever could. I am a capitalistic, white Republican American, and you are a simplistic weak enemy to me.

January 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Everything in Moderation

" I am a capitalistic, white Republican American, and you are a simplistic weak enemy to me."

There's your problem. And the confirmation of what was trying to be said here. You cannot be reasoned with. You assume everybody else is simplistic weak and an enemy, therefore you are not able to listen. You are locked in place as surely as the pages of history you attempt to re-colour.

January 24, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jumper

You should get your nose out of the books and join the real world. Obviously you have never dealt
      directly with blacks. I have. Read the news, instead of trying to creat it. I have dealt with blacks, and
      I repeat, " I " have dealt with them.

January 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pumpkineater

Blacks are vile disgusting vermin, I don't care what any left wing propaganda says about them and their useless history.
    Their cons far outway their pros and it's not even close, for every so called "good" black male, there are 100 bad ones.
    I don't have to respect or like this race CNN and I won't. Your propaganda about blacks is laughable, you act like they are this noble race of good doers, what a joke CNN, what a joke.

January 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • p41

We are noble, and good...we haven't started eraticating the caucasian vermin from the planet yet.

January 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pumpkineater

You can't "eradicate" us, it's us who would eradicate you. We are an advanced race, you are a primitive stone age race that can't survive unless you are babysat. We would easily wipe your black race out if we united or eliminated the brain damaged leftists.

January 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary Smith

You tried to wipe us out, you just couldn't! haha, see your face change from pink to red? dang......... Now talk about primitive, yes, we are proud of being primitive if being advanced means killing for pleasure. White men can never survive under the conditions black people have to. it took you guys 100+ years to get to where you are, it's been less than 70 years for the black in america, with all they have to endure look at what they have acheived, kudos to the black stallion! White people could have never made it under those conditions, go to the mental homes, it's about 99% white to 1% blacks

January 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Yepyep6598

@Pumpkineater i hate to do this but you are 100% correct 85% of blacks think the white blue-eyed demonic liberal knows best for blacks that's why i depise them to the point of hate. These slavacrats(black democrats) think they have to be guided and by the perverted white liberal like a circus monkey in order to stay on the right path. This is coming from a black man. THE TRUTH HURTS

January 26, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary Smith

no wonder your name is pumpkin eater, change it to human eater. Hey, for every good pink guy there are 1000 good black guys, how about that? Pink people are evil and vain just like you. we all know that. Black people don't care or like you either. you kill for pleasure and suck life out of people. you are disgusting. No wonder your green veins show on your pink skin

January 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • hutch

Bravely spoken from behind a computer, you coward. You're a low life and I bet your own people don't like you. Just keep saying this s**t from behind your computer and you'll be alright.

January 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jammaster

Hutch, you hit the nail on the head. Mr PE even hates himself. He's confined to posting hate on the Internet. All from the safety of his mom's basement.
        You'd think a man would live on his own by the age of 43.

January 31, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. hmmm

Lovely...Now, bottom line...we will all die. Period. Stay happy tho.

January 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. people

what you dont understand is there r more obamas amongs blacks then there r pookies and ray ray the drug dealers. but tv and media wants you to see the ugly side of blacks in this country. wether you like obama or not.

January 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmmm

Lovely....now, bottom line is, we all will die. Period.

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. people

well roger if thats how you feel then your enemy is not people of color its the system greed, money, not blacks mexicans asian. more or less right wing greed

January 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Oh Oh

What is an African-American? Make up your mind and move on.

January 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Good question. An African-American is my white friend who was born and raised in South Africa, moved to the United Staates and recently earned his US citizenship. He's the only African-American I know

January 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • WendyB

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! I have been trying to correct misguided Americans on that for years. One person at a time. By using the phrase "African-American" in regards to "Black Americans" only, is also racism. I know several from Gauteng and Mpumalanga who are white. And every time they hear the phrase African-American in that regard, they feel insulted.

January 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Roger

Excuse me, im a white man, grew up in the INNER CITY, still live in the inner city, i love the inner city. And when i say inner city, i mean i come from a city full of blacks and hispanics full of poverty. I would watch my language on who gets FREE rides to school, i actually had to pay out of pocket for community college cause technically my parents "made too much" if just barely 75k a yr is a lot. Rich whites dont get free rides, their parents have the money to put them through college. I can say from my experience, minorities are the ones who get "free" rides. Being dead broke in america must be great, cuz you get absolutely everything for free.

January 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger

Theres a difference between being a hard working blue collar family who take pride in everything their able to obtain than being a lazy POS who takes handouts, and no i am not singling blacks out.

January 24, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • p41

roger, you have just told at least 2 lies in this post. 1. You are not rich, with a 75k income. 2.You are not white, you are caucasian (just invest in a crayon box, you'll see). 3. Caucasians get free rides to historically black colleges & universities every semester! 4.YOU PEOPLE get minority scholarships to HBCU's, and get xtra $$ to live OFF CAMPUS. 5. you caucasian people also are Americas' biggest welfare recipients ( thus, you get the biggest handouts in America).

January 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Smith

i am black and proud, i work, compete with dumb pink people, my kids are all educated in very good schools, none in jail, I pay taxes, my neighbours are both black and pink. My kids had above 3.5 GPA is predominantly white schools. There are many, many like me! the trouble makers in my neighborhood are pink people. Yes, some black people steal but pink people kill for pleasure. Go figure, i'd rather be black than pink

January 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • lol

Get over urself

January 25, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Yepyep6598

the dumb only works with the dumb and yoou are a D U M B A Z Z

January 26, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Skegeeace

Um, I don't know any black people who got anything free- poor, middle class, or wealthy. And yes, compared to most people in the U.S. an annual household income of $75K is VERY far from poor (try below $20K for a family of three or more).

And I just LOVE how 'inner city" is synonymous with "blacks and Hispanics" to you. Pull your pants up- your ignorance is showing.

AND WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH A BOOK ABOUT BLACK HISTORY???

January 24, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Yepyep6598

try birth control

January 26, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. people

you say black people get handouts and welfare. white people get hand outs from republicans. all you do is keep back each others corruption.

January 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

no they dont black people are the cause of the healthcare cost rising stop getting shot.

January 27, 2012 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. people

yeah whos hanging whites from trees and set them on fire huh. while you sleep in your posh homes and suvs. whos pulling you over ask you for your ids and harassing you.cops dont even pull you over in your upscale neighborhoods. mommy and daddy part of the alumni thats why you get your free rides at college.

January 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pumpkineater

Whites made those colleges, you talk like some hire power made education and colleges, no, we did, therefore it is for us who are far more qualified than you always to attend them. There is no black student that can perform better than a white student. For every black student, there is a white student who is more intelligent and better than you.

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Everything in Moderation

nonsense. What are you, ten?

January 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

dont hate the playa hate the game B Y T C H

January 26, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Roger

Give me a break with all these BLACK articles, its a joke. Maybe if you PEOPLE acted as if you were the same as other rafes instead of setting your selves apart, you would be treated equal

January 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger

Races*

January 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • p41

Whats rafes??? Go to school dUmmY. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

January 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • p41

Maybe is YOU PEOPLE would stop bl0wing up buildings, and going on sh00ting rampages in America, people might want to socialize with YOU caucasian people.

January 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • p41

You must be the same alien "roger" on "American Dad"...the gay one.

January 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Murphy

I totally agree!

January 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger

Stop and think about it, instead of being ignorant. I emphasized PEOPLE to say that yes, you are people too and we are all the same.

January 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  24. p41

Well, the above illustrated picture says it all. African-american women, and some disinfranchised children, have no respect for African-american men. There is no illustration shown for the "strong black man." I am angered by the lack of support, love, and history being "illustrated" about black men. It saddens my heart; breaks my heart; to feel the hatred, and negativity focussed on men of color ( in the black race). There is always the notion of, "the absent from his family black man," NEVER the beaten down by caucasians, and black women black man! You hipocrites forget the subserviant black woman, that kisses up to the proverbial "white man." You celebrate a wh0re like "madame CJ Walker", and treat her "business" as if it were honorable. She operated a wh0re h0use for GODS' SAKE! (oh, I mean BROTHEL) Yes, yes. yess...the Willie Lynch theory is still a reality in these times, as always. That is why black women seek for themselves, through their caucasian masters, like 0prah...Then only advocate for themselves; while bashing black men. I can't leave without mentioning the Clarence Thomas', and Barack 0bamas' who make it, then make it harder for other black men. Just my thoughts; life experiences; and dissapointments.

January 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Murphy

Screw black people. Send them all to africa where they belong!

January 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skegeeace

Uh, didn't you see the picture of the black Union soldier? Blind much? LOL

January 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Roger

Maybe YOU PEOPLE would be treated equally if you stopped setting urself apart from all other races

January 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • p41

Black peoples' accomplishments set us as far apart from other races, as you are from being GOD ALMIGHTY.

January 24, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pumpkineater

What 'accomplishments' your race would still be living in the stone age if you weren't found and enslaved. You have no accomplishments and the state of your neighborhoods and culture proves this blatantly.

January 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Yepyep6598

that hurts

January 26, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  26. people

@ ryan how about when kkk hung murder black woman men and children. hundreds of blacks. just for being black weres your comparsion huh!

January 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

The KKK killed far less black people, than black people have killed white people. There is worse racism going on right now, from the black side than there ever was from the KKK by far.

January 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. people

lets just say it white people want every race in this country to just up and leave unless you bow down and become there
    flunkies

January 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. nocarenomore

Perhaps blacks should live with blacks and whites with whites.

January 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • HurtfulTruth

Then WHAT would all of those deprived white women DO???!!!! You mean they would have to SNEAK into "black" areas at odd hours of the day and night, the way they used to do back in the 50's??!!

January 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Murphy

deprived white women??? what ever do you mean by that? the hell with black people and the hell with you

January 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaye Stallion

Right, maybe we should all just live in complete idiotic fear. you don't know how many wonderful friendships you'll miss out on if you continue to think that way. Who would be stupid enough to only befriend and live around people their own race? Wow, some of us Americans are so cowardly and insecure...disgusting. If I only associated with other Caucasian people, do you have any clue how miserable I'd be? Wake up and look into the world...it's a big place....there's more than this..you just have to make the effort and branch out.

January 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Murphy

screw you and your black love'n @$$

January 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tracy

Beautiful illustrations!

January 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Ryan

Blacks have made a pretty bad reputation for themselves, the media tries to fight this but it won't work. On the local news its almost always a black person committing a violent crime against a white person, whether its assault, robbery, rape, murder, you can pretty much guess correctly that the mugshot will be a black male and it almost always is.
    And then, people act angry when this gets brought up, well you know what? To bad, people aren't just going to ignore all of this black on white crime.

January 24, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • people

@ ryan you talk about black mugshots and blacks making a bad name for them selfs. How about grown old white men
      playing with little boys. how about corporate greed and miss handling of peoples money whos the majority of that?

January 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

You make no valid point whatsoever, there are black child rapists, and corporate greed isn't a crime, much less a violent crime.
        Blacks target whites for violent crime and it's prevalent in society. Your weak comparisons don't hold a candle for what blacks have done to innocent people in this day and age.

January 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Also, blacks commit the vast majority of interracial crime, which is the point. You weak mewt accusations aren't even in the same category. I'm talking about RAPE and MURDER
      You're talking about banks, which you assume are run by white people. In other words, you can't defend your people.

January 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • yep

you couldve fooled me last i checked nobody in africa was light brown how you think that happened hmmm? #master

January 24, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Ryan, I realize why you are racist, its because you are studid, and have no way of discerning fact from fiction. The fact is, since White people are the majority in this country, the majority of people in prison are white males. While blacks do have a high rate of incarceration, there are more of your people in jail. More of your people on welfare, and more of your people collecting food stamps. It doesnt pay to be ignorant Ryan, get some education!!

January 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Murphy

Keving, you are the idiot here. Just because there may be a higher population of white people in America, definitely does not mean there are more whites in jail. No where near the amount of blacks in prisons and jails. If you take a look at the ratio of race population in America compared to the race population in the prisons and jails, whites are the majority of population in America and the least population in the jails. Blacks are one of the minorities in America but the most populated in the jails. So there for, blacks by nature are naturally stupid, ignorant, and always gonna get in trouble just due to there nature. Read the statistics on race population in jails. You're statement is false.

Also, I think that blacks out number whites now-a-days anyway due to the massive number of them in prisons and jails that are unable to participate in the US Census as well as all the blacks in the ghettos and hoods who could really care less about filling out a Census form. Besides, don't you know the game plan here??? If the blacks continue to have kids and never report themselves on the census, they will still be considered the minority and still receive all these benefits for minorities. I don't care what you say, blacks out number whites to this day.

Is there a way we can introduce sicle cell into the water supply in order to get rid of the blacks? Wouldn't that be the greatest gift to mankind.

January 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary Smith

Murphy or whatever! dumb, black don't outnumber whites! and black are more likely to go to jail for a non voilent crime than a white man would.
        eg: a black kid under 12yrs accidentally kills another kids when they were wrestling, he is given life in prison. A white male accompanies friend to leisure kill a black man, they were given assualt. REALLY?????????

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lynne

I WANT THIS BOOK! The history of Black people in America (American history) is AMAZING! Black people have come so far through determination, hard work, and intelligence. How could I not be inspired? And the pictures in this book are beautiful!

January 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Cool

They probably ran out of black paint.

January 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Wonderful book

Great book and great illustrations, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Micky

You're the same racist, angry black posting on different names, your limited vocabulary is the same with every post. You aren't fooling anyone, you don't have the intellect for that, you are after all, black.
    You are just another angry black male who has a grim future and rightfully so.

January 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

You call someone a racist and then proceed with racist comments. You should start to point that finger of blame inward.

January 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patricia

.. that was for Mickey ...

January 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Dante

To anyone who thinks that we are in a post-racial society because Barack Obama is President: Wake up! Just read these comments.

Hey CNN: If you will format this forum such that people's faces would appear next to their comments, these racists would cower and not comment. Consider it, CNN...just as an experiment.

January 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micky

It's not racism to mention the crimes of black people. The racism is most likely the crime itself, committed by the black person. There is no need to hide at all when telling the truth. If I had my portrait up I would gladly tell it like it is just the same.

January 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • PLease stop comments CNN

its ridiculous and you don't see the same thing on other articles i wish they'd just turn it off, this is not COURTEOUS in the least. but no one reads the fine print. That why i called the persons uneducated because if they would READ it says to keep the convo courteous.

January 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • nocarenomore

People who are uncomfortabled their own, dislike their own, and fail to do anything useful for their own tend to make things worse for everyone else.

January 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. PLease stop comments CNN

my last post, PLEASE TURN OFF THE COMMENTS, People are not even reading the article. thanks.

January 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Everything in Moderation

I'm sorry for your frustration. It's not a human, but a bot that "monitors" these pages. The most you can do is report the offenders and their posts will (may) eventually be taken down.

January 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Micky

African Americans are the biggest racists in schools and cause the most fights, I don't see why this race is being promoted, they destroy everything good that they touch, they complain all the time and point fingers at everyone else for their mistakes. What makes you CNN think we should be celebrating this race? What good have the even done in this country? They are the weakest minds and the most violent people. CNN are you serious?

January 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

If we take out the rhetoric from your comment, you really said nothing valid.

January 24, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micky

@Patrica
      You must live in a bubble that doesn't go past your nose.
      I have to go to school with these violent, aggressive animals and you aren't going to tell me I haven't seen what I have seen. In short, shut up.

January 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patricia

Yes we all have eyes to see, and we all know what goes on in schools. However, your comment was full of rhetoric and if you take out all the rhetoric, there is no valid argument- just hate-filled statements that go nowhere. Still waiting for something resembling intelligence

January 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Micky

Patrica
        Hate against a race and people who are filled with nothing but hate and don't want to progress (blacks) is justified.
        They are bullies and cowards. Don't you dare talk to me about "rhetoric" or anything like that. Blacks turn what are supposed to be learning environments into hostile juevie centers where students who want to learn in peace can't.
        So don't you dare, try to lecture me, don't you dare. I know much more about blacks from first hand experience than you obviously do. You... you're just simply talking out of your ass.

January 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patricia

Painting an entire race with the same brush is stereotyping.
        Now you pretend to know something about me?
        What do you know bout me?
        You sound extremely bitter and hateful.

January 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Micky

Patrica
        If I had my way, I would force you to live in a black neighborhood "assuming you aren't black yourself, in that case your opinion means nothing to me, not that it does much now anyway"
        All I have to say is, you would eat your words quickly little girl.

January 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patricia

Mickey, little girl? You really are arrogant.

January 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • harrisjb

Patricia why bother? He's either just talking out of his ass to push someone's button or he's ignorant. Either way you're wasting your time

January 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • namethename

Micky, that is how one becomes a man mentally. When you realize that you are being lied to in school.
      Now you have to learn how to pretend you like to be lied to and how awesome liberalism is, but secretly donate money or vote against their causes/against them.
      You can not openly state the obvious

January 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • FCB

lol and white people are angels? White people have destroyed civilizations one after the other... White people have brought black people to this country, enslaved them, tortured them, killed them, accused them of crimes they didn't commit and impoverished them and yet you claim they complain everytime? I hope they complain, sure white people who fight for equal rights are not to be blamed for their ancestors' crimes but african americans didn't chose to be here...

January 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • nocarenomore

Hmmm. Cars, houses, computers, landscaping, science, phones, lights...."white people inventions". I could go on and on....

January 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Al

The only valid thing you have said is that black people were brought here by white people, the rest is just wild generalization. Let's also not forget that these black people were enslaved by other black tribes and offered for sale to the slave traders. The alternative for these people was death. Also, the same black and arab people who started the slave trade are still doing this today. At least give the west some recognition for actually outlawing this vile practice.

Regarding racism; labeling yourself by your race is in itself racist. How can you treat people the same when you are constantly reminded that they are different because they label themselves Asian American or African American. Why can people not all just be equally American!

January 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary Smith

NOCARENOMORE where the heck did you get all this info from that white people invented all that? hmmm....... Pink people are a replica of SATAN, anything they touch will get destroyed.

January 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • nocarenomore

Separate universes? Will that solve it?

January 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Everything in Moderation

These are some pretty horrific comments, Micky. You are obviously young if you're still in school, but it might already be too late for somebody to reach you. As violent and chaotic as your school and (I guess) neighbourhood are, they don't qualify you to assess an entire ethnic group. You haven't earned cred by living among people you don't understand, but merely experience.

You know less than you think and are not capable of learning any more unless you let go of the idea that everybody who does not mirror your own thoughts is an idiot. You assume far too much to be able to make sense of what you see and hear. You rely on anger and stereotypes to tell you why and what somebody is doing. It is leading you down a road where you will only be capable of hating others.

Consider this small thing: there is only one race among humans. It's human. There are good and bad people in every single human group. If all you saw of white people were the angry violent ones (and there are millions of these) you might come to the same conclusions, but you'd be wrong. Somewhere in your world there are black mothers who love their children, black artists who create art, black business owners who give back to the community, black teachers, black tradespeople, black lawyers and judges. They are healthy, sane, hard working contributors to society. You've just become blind to their existence.

Consider that you couldn't possibly be right and this is al there is to an entire group of people. Look around. Re-measure.

I'm not naive (living in a bubble). I'm not inexperienced in urban living. I'm not black. I do not have a vested interest in the black community. I'm not unintelligent. I am not young. I have a few years on you and I've had time to learn that people are people everywhere. I've learned that when I presuppose something, I can always find evidence to back it up, no matter how off-base my assumptions were.

January 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Yepyep6598

F n i g g e r s they stink like squirrel nuts.

January 26, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Micky, the fact that white people are so damn lazy, that they had to steal millions of people from another continent to do their work speaks volumes about your lack of creativity. Its unfortunate that you all have been miseducated to the point that you dont even realize that white people are a sick mutation of black people. Read up on the genetic weakness you possess. Discolored eyes, pink and paleness of skin, limp hair that smells like dog when wet.

January 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  37. PLease stop comments CNN

PLEASE TURN OFF THE COMMENTS, THANKS.

January 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • alan s

You don't like some people's opinions, so you feel those people shouldn't be allowed to speak?

January 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • PLease stop comments CNN

the comments have NOTHING to do with this book. if people want to complain they should do it in the proper place, start a movement whatever, what do these comments complaining about black people have to do with this authors work. nothing. its inappropriate and rude. Speak but comment on the article not just being stupid.

January 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • yep

yep sure do, I believe they shouldn't speak, nothing nice to say you say nothing. :) #themapples

January 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruby

The hate postings are not really detracting from this fine book at all. There is no need for censorship.
      Those who take the violent haters seriously are already disposed to believing this sort of thing. The value in letting bigots sound off in forums like this is that it provides insight into who these socially defective types are – what and how they think. Knowing this can be helpfully defensive. Just keep in mind that the bad such people see in others is often simply a reflection of the denied defect within themselves so let uncle Micky talk.

January 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. PLease stop comments CNN

PLEASE CNN PLEASE I BEG YOU TURN OFF THE COMMENTS, its totally taking away from KADIR NELSON's work and the value of this book thanks. PLEASE reconsider.

January 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Patricia

Nice try Chris.

January 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Virginia

Apparently the racists who jumped to this post didn't even read the article. There was NOTHING in that article to elicit such racist nonsense.
    It's ironic that the most destructive and racist people in the history of the WORLD should come here and try to denigrate other people.
    This article didn't even mention the fact that YOUR ancestors traveled the WORLD raping, robbing and pillaging and killing whole races of people, including the Native Americans in this country who weren't even allowed to vote in their own country until 1922.
    The "majority" in this country committed genocide against indigenous people in the Americas, in India, Australia, Africa and every Island in between. So certain are they of their "superiority", that they committed genocide against 6 million people of Jewish descent, just 65 years ago.
    ALL people are guilty of atrocities throughout human history, and NO race has done more in that regard than the ancestors of the white people who come here to denigrate black people.
    You are NO better than any other race in history–in fact, you could be said to be worse because your barbarism was imported around the world.

The article you have come here to belittle in NO WAY criticized YOU, so what brings you here to criticize someone else. This country wouldn't be as prosperous as it's been over the years had it not been for SLAVE LABOR. Even today, it's impossible to calculate the number of people who have become mega millionaires just off the Music and Sports talent of Black people. .

Just putting black people down, does NOT change history. America would not be a rich country if it wasn't for them–even if you're only calculating from the time the country had all that FREE labor.

Your deep hatred and jealousy hurts YOU far more than it does anyone else. It must be Very difficult to live with that HUGE chip on your shoulders, and that heart full of HATE.

January 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

@ Virginia suck the nuts of a dolphin

January 26, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  41. Chris

Go ahead CNN, delete my comments. You can't censure the truth, you don't report black on white crime because you are a racist left wing propaganda network and millions of people know it. You can delete comments all day long, but you can't change what many people know about blacks. You are a disgusting racist network and you have blood on your hands.

January 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • HurtfulTruth

HIM....X-O

YOU....:-o

January 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • PLease stop comments CNN

PLEASE TURN OFF THE COMMENTS.

January 24, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • HurtfulTruth

X-D

January 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. kude

Those illustrations are great, but creepy as h ell... The people look like they'll come to life and strike me down where I sit...

January 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. PLease stop comments CNN

CNN this is neither lively NOR courteous as your RULES of CONDUCT set forth, PLEASE moderate this column or TURN OFF the COMMENTS..It's obvious as a nation some are uneducated..PLEASE thanks.

January 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

"uneducated" to a black or a left winger means knowing the facts and being a realist.
      Your "education" isn't education at all, its brainwashing and lies.
      It's you who is the uneducated one.

January 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • PLease stop comments CNN

actually im white black and asian. thanks. (but it shouldnt make a difference) why r you commenting? to continue to oppress a people i will pray for you.

January 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • PLease stop comments CNN

perhaps then your issue is not with black people because i was educated by white people lol. Maybe you should talk to them. #smartpants

January 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Septimius Severus

Funny how this article mentions the first "African-American" president after citing the histories of these noble African-Americans who suffered so much when slavery was practiced in the USA. President Obama does have African heritage, but he has no "African-American" heritage per se. His father was a well-to-do Kenyan who had the means to come to the USA, attend college, live in Hawaii, and marry a white woman. None of President Obama's African ancestors suffered in the US the things that the people in Mr. Nelson's book did. President Obama may look like the people in Mr. Nelson's book, but he is not one of them. No siree.

January 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • HurtfulTruth

The "No Siree" should tell me everything I need to know about the extreme level of your ignorance, but I'll do my good deed for the day.

An African American is someone who can trace their lineage BACK to Africa AND has LIVED THE BLACK EXPERIENCE IN THIS COUNTRY. To simplify, HE was born here.....HE grew up here.....and was subject to all that goes along with living HERE as a person of color in general and of African descent in particular. MANY people with similar racial backgrounds as his who came here after being born somewhere else, typically have the SAME EXPERIENCE. Unless you know them personally, were you to see them in public, you would not be able to tell them apart from someone who's family has been HERE for generations!

SO get a GRIP.....as a matter of fact, try MEETING some African Americans. After some honest dialog, you'll probably be A LOT less IGNORANT than you are NOW!!!

January 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Al

Hey HT, you seem to have handle on this; tell me why a person who is 1 eighth black a black person but a person who is 1 eighth white is not a white person?

January 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Really?!!

I've read your previous post Chris, I come to one conclusion...you live in a hole somewhere...and don't read much.

"There is NOTHING at all to celebrate about this race, nothing. Shame on you CNN for promoting this primitive, barbaric race that has caused thousands if not millions grief. Shame on you."

There are many items that African-Americans have invented and innovated that society could not live w/o:
    – traffic lights, gas mask (something ALL service members appreciate), the blood bank
    – and maybe the only thing you can afford to buy being as dense as you are...PEANUT BUTTER!

Uh...about those millions of people hurt by a particular race I say one that has caused more hurt – FAR more than any other throughout all of history...Anglo-Saxon Europeans.

January 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morwen

Ah, but would they have invented any of those things if they had remained in Africa and never had contact with those horrible Anglo-Saxons?

January 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • kude

clearly, you are as dumb as your name suggests. You realize that the dutch brought over the Africans to America? Anglo Saxons were ENGLISH.

January 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mississippi Librarian

I am going to assume that this is a joke that has been placed on this post in order to stimulate dialogue!

January 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yepyep6598

im a blackman and the only thing we have contributed to is prisons and welfare that's it.

January 27, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  47. Ahhhhhhh!

What about learning about the american indian.....the black man is on their land and the black man is crying about oppression....

January 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Goaliem

Ahhhhh! pardon me if I leave one or more "h"s out of your name. Brilliant idea if you'd only lead the charge. All the efforts of a people are lead by someone. The American Indians would be proud of you.

January 24, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mississippi Librarian

Yeah, it must be a joke because chris has a follower already!

January 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

Why is it that clowns always say "what about the indians?" when talking about blacks? One suffering isn't greater or lesser than the next. Dang you stink.

January 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • kude

Sure it is. African Americans suffered more, but Native Americans complained less.

January 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geaorge

Dont worry about the black man's cry, myself bc of my skin Ive seen pain, lynching, killiing and raping, I've seen it all, folks cant bury their own, I feel your pain too, you have understand when you walk in someone else's shoes dont complain, but make sure your ancestors' pain is felt through voice and remembrance, through recognition of others such as in our history text books, sometimes its a travesty our US history, please as a black man I feel your pain too

January 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chris

Mass rape of white women, interracial murder on a ridiculously one sided scale, crime, thuggery, rejection of civilization, all elements of the black community and never mentioned in the agenda driven LYING left wing propaganda networks.
    Over 38 thousand white women were raped and brutalized by black males in 2010, they raped more white women than white men did and are far less of the population. The media hides these disgusting facts, why because the media is racist against whites.

January 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • FailCongress

LOL look at the small brained racist!

January 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

And yet you can't dispute the facts, it's you who is a small brained racist. I'm a realist, you're just a racist.

January 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • tinisha johnson

Hey chris can you please tell me where the hell you get your facts from. You say that the media did not report it so waht made you the privileged one to get this information. Please disclose the articel the web site or whatever it was the brought you to these conclusions. Are you sure that you are not just angry because the blonde blue eyed girl down the street wanted some chocolate instead of cream in her coffee? Just asking.

January 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • namethename

tnisha,
        drudgereport.com

but this is not a media to you, also foxnews is not media.Only propaganda mashine that kisses Obama's you know what is media.

January 24, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • HurtfulTruth

Awwwwww! Sounds like YOUR former significant other left YOU for a BLACK MAN!!! THAT'S usually the reason for all of the PHONY rape statistics!!!!

You see, someone OBVIOUSLY convinced you to look at your rejection as being tantamount to rape, which strokes that little superiority complex you've obviously got!

How did she break to to you.....HMMMMM? Did it go something like "Darlin', you see....I kinda-sorta met this...well, GUY that uh....happens to be, oh, how did he say he prefers bein' called...oh, yeah....African American...and after we kinda got to talkin' 'n' all he...uh....hee-hee..showed me his.....THING....and I....just.....couldn't stop comparin' what I did next to the way I do it with you:

HIM... X-O

YOU... :-o

So, the coice was EASY sugar-plum!! Say hello to your Mama-Sister for me when you see her!"

The moral of this story....Take your RACIST CRAP over to FOX NEWS where it belongs!!

January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

These are not phony "rape" statistics, they are right from the FBI.
      And please.... you're a clown.

January 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • tinisha johnson

Really the FBI. What FBI statistics did you get that says black men have raped how many was it 38k thousand white women. Hey if what you say is true please show us the proof.

January 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mtumba Smith

Shut the hell up

January 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mississippi Librarian

Baby, you have lost your mind, I hope for your sake that you find it sooner than later.

January 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

No, it's you who has lost your mind sweetie :) unfortunately for you and your kind, there is information all over the internet and in the real world that CNN or any other left wing propaganda network can never cover up.

January 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Average Joe

I am shocked and appalled by these comments. For all you haters out there, how bout we throw you into slavery for a couple of decades and then let's see what comments you leave here. What is wrong with you people? I mean Christ, i don't mean to sound like a peace loving hippie here but really? All these absurd comments are pushing mankind back a hundred years here. I mean I don't get it, I know plenty of jerks in this world and they vary by race and creed, that has nothing to do with it. People either suck or they are awesome, their skin color doesn't depict that...it's usually a mix of how they were raised and who they chose to associate themselves with. I feel like we are a bunch of idiotic children here who don't know how to share. I really wish that before I drop dead one day I get to live in a color blind world that sees past the stupidity of racism (and other things...can someone explain to me why it's illegal in NYC to greet each other by putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling their fingers?) We all live, breathe and walk this planet, that's not up to us but it would be an awfully better place if we all got over the stupid sh** that doesn't matter. The sad thing is, if we lived in a world that had only one race...we'd probably still find silly reasons to hate and kill each other; are we just hard wired to be so ignorant? Regardless of what side of the argument you are on...it really makes you think...all I know is that if there is such thing as reincarnation, I hope I come back as a dog...at least they are naturally color blind.

January 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • whitemale206

i totally agree, people are just narrow minded still unfortunately

January 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

Chris, one thing you need to know about statistics is that they can be bought and sold, depending on who it is wanting the data. Do not trust statistics. Certainly, do not go spouting statistics on an online forum without citing your references so that we can all see for ourselves. Your comments are full of rhetoric. None of your arguments show any kind of logic. Where are the critical thinkers in this comments thread. I say CLOSE THE COMMENTS DOWN !!!

January 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. shhh!

CNN why do you allow COMMENTS on african american articles when YOU KNOW its gonna bring out the trolls PLEASE close the comments at least until we GROW UP as a NATION. Ashame you can have the flowers without the WEEDS.

January 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. shhh!

stop it, please! please..

January 24, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Cheryl

I purchased this book not long ago at a book fair held at my children's school. I bought it mostly for them but have found It to be a great learning tool for myself as well. I am really glad that I bought it. It is a book the whole family can enjoy.

January 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr Pepper

I'm looking forward to it now.. What ever happened to wanting to learn about different cultures and people, much less the history of your own country. It's amazing we ever got out of the 20th century with being this closed minded (as a whole).

January 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Levi

Where's the painting that shows how they purposely destroy the English language to sound more ignorant then they really are. “Dis B da shizzo…” Can we have a European history month?? I bet it comes out enlightening and worthy of attention.

January 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tray

I think that would be a great idea as an african american, I would just ask once that month is set we start to ask others to check the race box listed as European American! But again great idea all of our history should be told.

January 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Levi

Well why should the africans have the spotlight one mont a year, granted it's the shortest month. Sounds like isecurity needing validation.

January 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

I read the book and its a wonderful story, I read it to my kids at night puts them to sleep good but they are only 2 and 4, great illustrations too, even though my kids are 2 and 4 they like the pictures, I wish everyone wold have this book in their family, especiallty the families that dont know the history and plight of the African American

January 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

All Americans slaughter the English language.

January 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Levi

Ever been to Wales? lol

January 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jose Irizarry

Still a lot of strugles for alot of african decents all over North ,Central ,South America and the Carribean

January 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Susan

Beautiful illustrations!

January 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Kim

I can't wait to buy this book for my little girl! I've tried to think of ways to explain the history of our people to her without making to too difficult to understand. But this book will work wonders!!! Thanks for being a great writer and artist!

January 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven

What's hard to understand. the least performing race of all time, drugs, poverty, violence and so on. Not one first world black nation on this planet.....explain to her there is not just skin color that makes you different.

January 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mississippi Librarian

Your comments reveal a lack of education. Perhaps if you really studied history you would understand that all races have made significant contributions to this melting pot called the United States and also to the entire World. Believe it or not, Blacks have made many contributions to the advancement of civilization. However, you are so mired in your own self-hate and misery that you feel the need to project those feelings somewhere, and I suspect that you say those insane things as an effort to make yourself feel better at the expense of others, surely you can't be as stupid as you are pretending to be.

January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steven

So you don't dispute my claims? I assure you I'm college educated......ie not a librarian.

January 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patricia

I am from an indigenous people who were also massacred and mistreated by the anglo-saxons and we are also demoralized to this day by these insenstiive comments. It's so much more than color working against us; it is also wealth, social status, agendas, political standing, and let us not forget the rhetoric and stereotyping. It is easy to downplay something when you cannot relate to the pain and suffering. The struggles with drug addiction and poverty are not exclusive to the African-American.

January 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |