Viral video combats negative Latino stereotypes
Something a Latino would never say, according to the video: "Guadalupe? I thought that's what you dipped chips in."
February 21st, 2012

Viral video combats negative Latino stereotypes

By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

(CNN) - When's the last time you met a Latino who hated grandma's cooking or didn't know who Marc Anthony was?

There are just some things you don’t expect to hear from Latinos, according to the creators of “Sh*t Latinos Don’t Say,” the latest in a long line of online video memes to tackle widely held stereotypes.

Sure, it’s yet another take on a trend that’s nearly played out, but with a tongue-in-cheek twist. Other versions– running the gamut from New Yorkers to medical students to things Latinos do say– worked when they got viewers to acknowledge, “that’s so me.”

But it turns out the things we’re not likely to say also say a lot about us. Like its predecessors, “Sh*t Latinos Don’t Say” appropriates shared beliefs, biases and experiences but reverses them, prompting collective responses of disbelief, because who ever met a Latino who complained about spicy food?

Except for riffs on Arizona (“if you could live anywhere in the world”) and Gov. Jan Brewer (“my idol”) the video's creators said they tried to keep it light and avoid serious topics.

"We wanted to do something that Latinos and non-Latinos would walk away from laughing," said Lance Rios, founder of Being Latino, an online portal for news and opinion aimed at second- or third-generation bilingual Latinos in the United States. "We didn't want to perpetuate negative stereotypes.”

So, while the video features several instances of a young woman leading men into her bedroom and assuring them that her father won’t mind, there is no mention of teen pregnancy or other themes commonly applied to Latinos in mainstream media, Rios said.

"It's meant to prove that yes, as a community, we have issues,” said Rios, a second-generation Puerto Rican who was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. “But we're Americans, too, and just because we're tied to other countries doesn't mean we can't make fun of ourselves just like everyone else in a way that's not offensive."

With more than 21,000 Youtube views since last Wednesday and numerous shout-outs on Latino blogs and mainstream media outlets, it's an approach that seems to be gaining traction. Rios hopes its popularity demonstrates the need for more popular culture content relevant to English-speaking Latinos who identify with American culture and the cultural heritage of their families.

"The main thing we wanted to do was create something that would go viral and track back to our site and our audience," he said. "Often, they're ignored by the mainstream media, but this video shows that our audience is alive and well in the social media space and they're looking for content."

1. Todd Little

another ear mark. to make a illegal hispanic prosperous. its what we do. give the earmarks for unneccassary bull chit. guess i need to come up with a white civil rights group...

March 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HeroicSlug

Three minutes of confusion for me.

Was it supposed to be funny, or was it supposed to be one of those "we're offended when you laugh at us" things?

I just don't get it. I was neither amused, offended, nor irritated at how easily people take offense.

I want my three minutes back, please.

March 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Me

Half of the people in my area are latino of Mexican origin and there are certainly different sub-cultures, and cultural elements more likely to be found amongst the latino population in general than the non latino population, and not all of them are negative. I think that would be silly to ignore.

For example, ranchero/mariachee music is big among recent immigrants. A large number of Mexican American families uphold the tradition of tamale making around Christmas time. Birthday parties in the parks and backyards are big things. Many recent immigrant men dress in cowboy attire on their day's off. Certain occupations are occupied almost exclusively by latino immigrants. Most of the low rider clubs are almost exclusively latino. Of course, there are certainly latinos who do not have interest or take part in any of this, but the reality is that there are many who do.

February 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Manuel L. Iravedra

Wrongo. Latinos as a group simply do not exist, just as Americans do not exist _as a group_. Both are non-defined in terms of race, education, language, diet, religion et al. As a mere example, Cubans or Puertoricans have absolutely nothing in common with a New Mexico Vato, _not even language_

February 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

Funny stuff.

February 28, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Manuel L. Iravedra

February 28, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Your Panties

I have screwed a bunch of Mexican women during my lifetime. OMG, they are so good.

February 28, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • schweddyballs For You

Orale vato, arriba, arriba !!!

February 28, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bfskinnerpunk

As long as we continuously feel the need to think of ourselves as a color or a "heritage" that must be respected and never EVER offended, we are screwed.
    Have pride in your background (if you must), but have a frig'n sense of humor and don't expect the rest of the world to bow in reverence to it.

February 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. angel

This is the best country to live in. This is also a deeply flawed country. Racist to a degree, Theocentric to a degree, the young and the old not treated as well as they should be. We are arguably warlike, though that may finally change.

I could go on, but why belabor the point.

The point being that THE BEST IS NOT THE THE SAME AS THE BEST THAT CAN BE!!

Therein is the true and possibly greatest thing that this countrystill offers, FREEDOM OF SPEECH, that lets us debate these issues in forums like this ! ! ! !

February 25, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Ciboney

One, "the best country"? Seriously, man, either travel in the planet more or read decent reports and international news. Although it depends how you define "the best" or quality of life.

Second, who told that person that he/she is is related to another country because he/she is a Puerto Rican in the mainland? Puerto Rico is a part of the United States, with Spanish as the main/first language. No matter how loud some may scream and gesture (now THAT is a stereotype of Latinos!), it is still part of the USA and its population American who speak Spanish as their primary language. Ouch!

March 1, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. scott

EMBRACE HATRED WITH ALL YOUR HEART BECAUSE HATE IS REAL AND MAKES YOU FEEL NICE AND WARM.

February 25, 2012 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. YOUR NEIGHBOR YOUR FRIEND

BE PROUD OF YOUR RACE NO MATTER WHAT OTHERS SAY GOD MADE ALL OF US AS FOR THE HATE MONGERS POSTING ON WEBSITES MUST BE TOUGH WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE YOUR TRUE SELF FOR WHAT YOU ARE

February 23, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. BlueVistaGT

First, I want to say that I really enjoyed the video and applaud the fact that there is no underlying political or racial agenda. It's just good clean fun and spreads the message that stereotypes still exist in this day and age.

The bottom line for Latinos/Hispanics, or any other immigrant culture to the U.S. of A. to remember is this – There is no, "I am more Latino or Asian, or whatever than you because I speak my ethnic language", blah, blah, blah. We are all Americans and as such, should not take what we have for granted. I've lived throughout the world including Europe, Kuwait, Malaysia, UK, India, Cambodia, Russia, etc over the past 28 years, and know for a fact that there is no greater country in the world. The famous JFK quote "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" rings so true to me and all the other veterans out there since we put our lives on the line for our country and for our freedoms. Believe me when I tell you, no other country in the world enjoys the freedoms that we do, but it didn't come cheap. This is why I'm so proud to be American!! My allegiance is and always will be to the U.S. of A. – Duty! Honor! To this day, I would still die for my country. That's how important my country is to me. And when I read other forums highlighting the problems along the borders, etc and all the hatred towards mostly Mexicans, my heart bleeds a little bit more. The ignorance throughout our own society is still high. But that doesn't mean we Latinos haven't made important contributions to our country and will continue to do so..

For all the critics out there, ask yourself this: Would you die for your country? Have you served your country. Where does your allegiance truly lie?

February 23, 2012 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Mango

BlueVistaGT

If you have lived abroad, you should know Eurpope is not a country.

February 23, 2012 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
      • BlueVistaGT

You're absolutely right – Eurpope is not a country.

February 24, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Kelly

He never claimed it was a country, he just said he lived in Europe. You need reading comprehension, or you're trust trying to pick a fight.. :)

February 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

BlueVista, I was born and raised in NYC, and I lived overseas for several years too. Every place has it's good points and it's bad, some are worse than others, but no place is a utopia (certainly not the U.S.) I've lived some of my greatest freedoms overseas, and some of my greatest obstructions here in the states, believe it or not. I've also seen some of the poorest, neediest and underpriviledged people in my entire life here in the U.S., and some truly rich (happiness, family, estate, heritage and independence) people in other countries. This makes me think that as much as you claim to have travelled, you've probably missed the forest for the trees. You have every right to feel the way you do about the U.S., but in light of the dumb quarrel as to who is more 'American' or less so, which seems to be so popular in this country, are you surprised when you meet smart people who really don't care? I, for example, have nothing against my own country, it's got a lot of good things for folks who are into them, but I'm dying to retire outside of it. The only thing holding me here is MONEY. I'm sure there are a lot of good folks who feel the same way I do, too.

February 23, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
      • BlueVistaGT

I not only traveled to these countries, I've lived in these countries and currently live overseas as a U.S. State Dept employee. I also realize that no country is a 'utopia' as you mention. I recently traveled to Nairobi, Kenya and over the years lived in Cambodia and still find it difficult to believe that anyone in the U.S. has ever lived in conditions similar to these people. Are you familiar with the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia where 1.5 million people were starved, forced into labor and executed from 1975 – 1979. Are you familiar with the execution of thousands of pro-democracy students in Rangoon, Burma in 1988 by the ruling military junta. Are you familiar with Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China where thousands of students protesting for economic reform and liberalization were fired upon by the People's Liberation Army. I lived in both Burma and Cambodia and can tell you a fact that this would have never happened in the U.S.

These are the freedoms I'm referring to.

February 24, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. srtbhryhy

bet you ANYTHING that somebody is going to complain about this video claiming its "racist". everything that has the word latino in it is always criticized as "racist"

February 22, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Iris

Never heard that before..... And I am Latina.

February 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juano

If Latino was a "race," and not a collection of nationalities that speak Spanish or Portuguese, then yes, it would be racist. But it is not.

February 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jirban Irfan

In reality "Latino" IS treated as a race, especially by people opposed to campesino Latin Americans. Also the State of Texas and other states classify "Hispanic/Latino" as a race in school enrollment counts.

Race is an arbitrary definition

February 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • D

It is not used as a race it's: White Latino/Hispanic

February 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Common Sense

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" coming soon to a inner city near you."Ceaser No!"

February 22, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Luis A. Ramos

NO IDIOT, P.R. IS NOT A COUNTRY AND WE ARE NOT LATINOS. WE ARE HISPANICS...THIS WAS CREATED BY LATINOS WHO CONTINUE TO JUMP ON THE COATAILS OF THE PUERTO RIQUENO IN AMERICA, AS WELL AND AS FAR DEEP, AS EVEN IN THE PRISON SYSTEM....GUACAMOLE IS LATINO, AVOCATE' IS HISPANIC. GET IT RIGHT.

"It's meant to prove that yes, as a community, we have issues,” said Rios, a second-generation Puerto Rican who ...was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. “But we're Americans, too, and just because we're tied to other countries doesn't mean we can't make fun of ourselves just like everyone else in a way that's not offensive."

February 22, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • agtrtrt

We need tougher immigration laws.

February 22, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
      • L

we can begin by deporting all who entered here without permission since 1,500 and their descendants.

February 22, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Lee S

L, that argument can be used for anyone. Is so tired, its not even funny.

February 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • That Guy

Not ALL Latinos are Puerto Ricans. Pretty sure that this quote was referring to LATINOS, not about him being Puerto Rican.

Sounds to me like you have some anger issues.

February 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • CEO

First off, what are you talking about? Your comment doesn't make any sense. "GUACAMOLE IS LATINO, AVOCATE' IS HISPANIC."? The word 'avocate' doesn't make sense in this context. I believe the word you were looking for was aguacate, but even with that change, your comment still doesn't make sense. If you were trying to blend avocado and aguacuate to make some clever political insinuation, you have failed yet again. Second, if Latinos don't exist then why do you keep referring to them in your comment? Third, what point are you trying to make by re-posting the quote by the creator of the video and Being Latino whose only goal was to create some non-offensive comedy just as every other ethnic, racial, gender specific, age specific, and location specific group has done in the past? Please just do us all a favor and leave out the political BS and stop trying to insinuate that there is more to this video than there really is.

February 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pineda Pineda

Luis, you’re a divisive Hispanic. The US is filled with great families from all of the Americas. Name a country and I have friends from there that I respect and love. Puertorriquenos have had influence in the great country, however your arrogant statement that "others are riding your coat tails" is meaningless. All cultures should be celebrated and cherished. If Puertorriquenos, Cubanos, Mexicanos, Salvadorenos and Guatemaltecos and the other Hispanics were to united, we would have an even greater influence in our great Pais. Let’s celebrate our Spanish Heritage!

February 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Common Sense

Taking pride in being a evolutionary throw back?

February 22, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. coolbreeze

Good way to bring down the latino culture..Seriously What better time to bring a stupid video to show the public on how to stereotype latinos by latinos..The timing couldn't be so right, when we have so much hatred and racism in todays media.

February 22, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. dod

most latins i have met sooner or later fit the sterotype.

February 22, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Biglo

Hmmm..sounds like someone is coming out of the racist closet.

February 22, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

Most stereotypes fit the worldview of the bigots I've met.

February 22, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Iris

Sounds like you have probably only met one.

February 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. cynicalme

I didn't see the videos. Anything on there about bebe anclas?

February 22, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

Whites, Blacks, Browns, Yellow..whatever. When I see somebody with four arms, two heads and 4 legs that's the day I will start being worried. Right now, we are all the same so, what's the frigging issue?

February 22, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee S

Mike, have you ever traveled to a country outside US/Canada/Western Europe? other than "tourist" areas. Some places are a bit behind. Ill leave that up to you to decide why.

February 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mary

Wow...nice comments on this board. Here's an idea: How about all of you grow a sense of humor? Maybe if people learned to laugh at themselves a little bit, there wouldn't be so much hatred in the world. This was FUNNY. It was harmless, silly commentary put together by a bunch of Latino young people commenting on their own culture. See it for what it is. I feel sorry for the many (many!!) people who apparently see no humor in stereotypes.

February 22, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Manny

Ok, LOL, good point, too bad the video is weak, although it has its moment. We have seen better versions of the same meme. Maybe hire real actors next time? Or real comedy writers? That might help.

February 22, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jorge

This lame "Tio Tomas" video attempts to at once pretensiously apologize on behalf of latinos for stereotypical models conjured by uncultured non-latinos who wouldn't have a clue, and suggest conformist, bootlicking "assimilation" into U.S. nonculture, (ambitiously called "American", as if the U.S. were the only nation in the Americas), as the fashionable thing to do. I, for one, try to be as Latino as I damn well please, although I was born in NYC 58 years ago, and the opinions on the matter of a herd of insular, xenophobic dips who don't put a single plate of rice on my table has about the same importance to me as the crawlers under the trash at the city dump.

February 22, 2012 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

What video did YOU watch?? Nobody was apologizing for anything. How sad for you that you are so angry and sad, and feel the need to use $10-words to prove to everyone how smart you are. We're all impressed. Now go away.

February 22, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
      • Manny

He has an opinion, just like you. You should be respectful of the opinion, even if you don't agree with it. I think he makes a good point. Just saying.

February 22, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
      • Jorge

Mary, did my vocabulary give you a headache? I'm SOOO sorry, let me call a doctor...

February 22, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Don quijote

You're another example of Sh** Latinos don't Say. Lighten up, nacho. Latinos bring joy to the world. (big smile on my face)

February 22, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
      • Jorge

Yet you too feel obliged to point out, like the video did, things that "Latinos don't say" on behalf of all Latinos and for the sake of people, who at the end of the day, don't really matter.

February 22, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • JuneCleaversBeaver

Wow someone got a thesaurus for Christmas. Good for you George. If you were born in NYC you are an American of Latino decent, much like I am an American of Finnish decent. Quit complaining about the lack of culture as you are part of the reason there really isn't any.

February 22, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Jorge

So you readily admit to the lack of "American" culture? Ok, I'll give you that; but as far as laying blame for it, that's a bit ambitious, as you probably know less about Colonel Manolo Galvan, Arturo A. Schomberg and the Jones-Shafiroth Act than I know about George Washington's infancy or Thomas Jefferson's six mulatto children with a slave woman.

February 22, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Lee S

george, I can throw out random things I know about too, that you probably dont. Youre an ass.

February 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Elden

:I'm also commenting to let you be aware of what a otlabne experience my wife's girl enjoyed visiting yuor web blog. She even learned a wide variety of issues, with the inclusion of what it's like to have an incredible coaching mood to have the rest very easily know some tortuous issues. You truly surpassed my expected results. Thank you for churning out the interesting, trusted, explanatory as well as fun thoughts on this topic to Emily.

April 18, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Jorge, on behalf of all caucasians with an education, I apologize for my near-illiterate sister from the suburbs, Mary.

February 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. lol

Number of Mexican virgins below age 18 = 12

February 22, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. AJ

The video was terrible and the production value was even worse. Very cheap-looking. How did they score a blog post on CNN? Someone at CNN must be friends with someone in this "organization". And Arizona isn't anti-Latino. It's anti ILLEGAL immigration not legal immigration. Info people distorting the facts ignore.

February 22, 2012 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Iris

Arizona= Anti-Latino...... for sure....

February 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mike

This video is not funny, it's lame, no talent bores.

February 22, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Just because you don't understand the irony of every hilarious line of dialogue in this video, you shouldn't make such an effort to proclaim your ignorance and lack of a sense of humor. Nothing more embarrassing than watching stup!d people angrily announce their mental shortcomings.

February 25, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Capitan Justicia

These so-called Latinos are what we real Latinos call 'coconuts' because they're 'brown' on the outside but 'white' on the inside. They're usuailly the product of pathetic parents who never taught them Spanish or failed to instill any pride in their culture in them. They also probably have never been to Latin America and they view life through the eyes of a white American. How sad.

February 21, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Awkwardmoment

When you consider modern Mexico, perhaps it's a culture hispanic Americans would just as soon distance themselves from. Why should they learn Spanish when they live in the US?

February 22, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
      • GeorgeRamos

In any other part of the world being bi-lingual is a good thing. Only in the US can we make that into a negative. Speaking two languages is something I am proud of. If I have children I'll encourage them to learn as many languages as possible.
        Fight ignorance

February 22, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Iris

Awkward, I learned English after I learned Spanish. And I continue to use Spanish wherever I go. Why should we continue to speak Spanish if we are in the US? Because it is part of our roots.

February 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • GI from L.A.

The U.S. doesn't have a set language, so there is nothing wrong with people being bilingual........ Here's you sign.

February 26, 2012 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • John -

In the past 10 years I have learned Spanish by watching Univision, listening to Spanish language radio, reading Spanish language newspapers and talking with Latinos. Difficult at first, many errors but over time but I am told I converse well in Spanish. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for most immigrants from Latin America. Perhaps it is because they do not tend to listen to English Radio or watch English Language Tv or Read English newspapers. Or maybe they share the same Pride of ignorance of like Capitan Justicia. Rednecks come in many colors mister – including brown.

February 22, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Capitan Justicia

Ignorance? In what language am I writing in?

February 22, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Lee S

Gratz Cpt, but you cant speak for the millions who refuse, or cant, learn the language.

February 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlueVistaGT

It's funny that you would mention the term 'coconuts', since this is the term I was often referred to growing up. What you refer to as a coconut, I refer to as 'progress'. Would you prefer that Latinos keep and live the stereotypes and be satisfied with people looking down their noses at us or would you prefer that we as a culture grow and improve so that we are the best product of our environment? I have three beautiful children that are Mexican/Asian/Americans, but I teach them to not only remember their roots, but to also be proud Americans. My sister also has two wonderful children that she raised with the same philosophy. Her daughter graduated with Honors from Stanford University and continued on to get her Masters from Harvard University. We did not come from money, but worked our way up the ladder the hard way – with honest hard work.

You say so-called Latinos – I say proud to be Latino and American.

February 22, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Iris

LOL. What would you call me? My father was American, my Mother Panamanian. I was born in Panama, speak fluent English and fluent Spanish. I came to the states when I was young. However, my skin is white, white, lol. You can tell I am mixed with something because of my hair, but nothing else. Is there a name for that?

February 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lee S

Why do you think their parent left their great cultures and countries in the first place?, Oh yea, America is awesome.

February 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sara

I nearly spit coffee on my screen at "I only have one cousin." Thank you for this.

February 21, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Tee

Well-crafted racist article.

February 21, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • changomango

"We didn't want to perpetuate negative stereotypes.”, but they're happy to perpetuate positive stereotypes!
      These people (descendants of failed societies and failed cultures) should come up with a video that combats negative white and black stereotypes among their ethnic brethren! And an American is a descendant of an OLD WORLD immigrant, not a NEW WORLD immigrant!

February 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Me

So much resentment. Failed societies? Old World Immigrants? If you recall, many of those "Old World" immigrants came from countries who at the time would be considered "failed societies" by what seem to be your standards. If it makes you feel any better, some of my ancestors came from the "Old World" (via Mexico) and some were indigenous from the "New World." Funny, all this time I thought Earth was one world.

I wish you well. You seem like someone who needs a hug or something. Good luck.

February 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jim

Awkwardmoment seems to be the only poster here who has his head screwed on straight. If you want to be proud of yourself, DO SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF! Stop imagining that being of a particular race (or ethnicity) is something to your credit.

February 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Since culture is part of ethnicity and culture is comprised of what people do, I think it's quite alright to feel proud of belonging to an ethnic group. The pride comes in being able to identify with and relate to what fellow group members do and achieve. Ethnic groups are not mutually exclusive, that is positive (or negative) traits can be associated with any number of groups. Nonetheless, I think it's similar to feeling pride in belonging to a family; it's hard not to feel pride for a sibling for, say, graduating with top honors even if you never helped her/him with their homework... or to be proud for the awesome singing voice a cousin has even if you can't hold a note. I'm proud of being Mexican American, Mexican, and American, as well as feel pride for being from my hometown, etc. So much to feel proud of.

February 21, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • changomango

So you're proud to relate to and identify with corrupt, violent, intolerant, indifferent poverty stricken, backward, ignorant "Latinos" or "Hispanics" from Mexico? Honduras? Venezuela? Bolivia? Dominican Republic? Etc...etc...etc...European and Asian countries have proud histories with culture etc..etc...etc...

February 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Multicultural

You're ignorance is astounding. It doesn't even merit a detailed response.

February 21, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

The makers of this video did exactly that. And they should be proud - it's hilarious. Or should social commentary through comedy not be included?

February 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ohsnap

Love it! Very funny.

February 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Maddy

What a major LOAD of race-baiting CRAP! How can you refer to someone by the colour of his/her skin (i.e.) "white" and NOT be expected to be called in on that? If Caucasians are "white" then Mexicans, or the so-called "Hispanics" are therefore from-this-day-forward, are to be called "Browns"... Play by your own rules "Browns", and be "proud" of your "race"... if you even know what that is... Obviously you don't know the difference between ethnicity and race.

February 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Except that Caucasians aren't necessarily white (or fair-skinned, if you prefer). Thanks for playing.

Also, if people tell you they don't like to be called brown and you insist it's your God-given right as a white woman to do it anyway? Don't expect that to go over well.

February 21, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Awkwardmoment

Being proud of your race is as ridiculous and lame as being proud of your pancreas.

February 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • That Guy

Hmm... Interesting perspective. I wonder if you have the same feeling about people who are proud of their ethnicity as well.

FYI Latino is not a race, it's an ethnicity and/or culture. If you're going to infer that someone or something is stupid, you should make sure that you don't look stupid in the process.

February 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • jc

not inferring, implying...you're inferring

February 21, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • rogo

we, latinos we are proud our mixture black african, american indian, white european that make us specials, happy and with no trace of racist hate. when I said latin means latinoamericano and not with other people that try impress saying "im irish, im italian, im...."

February 22, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • chaz

Spot on.

February 22, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

Yea, kind of like all the people who claim to be proud to be "American".

February 23, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kathy

I only wish I could have (too late now:) found an intelligent, funny and FAITHFULL latino male that didnt wear jewelery and had no tattoos but no such luck. Im quite happy with my lovey dovey Irish-german husband. lols!

February 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

The only difference between a latino and a Irishman is the red hair. I like the way he has you convinced otherwise. He's a good bullshi tter like a .....ummmm.... latino...ha.

February 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vv

Thats too bad. Perhaps if you hadn't looked in the ghetto you would have found PLENTY of wonderful Latino men.

February 21, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • ca2010

Vv, very true, but the ones outside the ghetto are not hot.

February 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. BlueVistaGT

I'm a 4th generation American of Mexican decent and have been happily married for over 20 years now to an Asian (Burmese) woman. I grew up in Caucasian neighborhoods and attended Caucasian schools.. I served in the U.S. Armed Forces and now work for the U.S. State Dept and have traveled and lived around the world for over 20 years. I can proudly say that I have served my country. I am the total opposite of the stereotypical Lowrider Mexicano collecting food stamps and mooching off the Govt. There are many more of us helping to protect our country and living productive lives. I'm just saying that Latino stereotypes are often regarded as factual by the unwitting and uneducated.

February 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • crymore

thank you for your service.

February 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maddy

Hey 'Blue'... we are really diggin' your excellent post. Glad to know you have risen above the street-thug, common denominator of so many of the Mexicans I have to deal with everyday here in Socal. Your military service IS APPRECIATED... by me, and by a lot of others.

February 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • AZpatriot

@ Maddy: you have issues.

February 21, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jack Kerouac

Who gives a f**k about latinos. Enough with this crap already – Sh$%t fed up white guys say

February 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • White folks

Things white people never say "Thanks Latinos for helping our economy get better!"

February 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maddy

'Jack'.... your frustration is NOTED. But please stop playing the race-baiter"s and LIBERAL media's games... You are, and have always been "Caucasian"... Don't refer to yourself as, or ever answer to "white"... Enough is really enough.

February 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Frank

How about being just plain human beings instead of everybody be labeled?

February 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paulwisc

They're not the ones doing the labeling.

February 21, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Heritage

Heritage vs. Heritage of Hate

February 21, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Speaking of hate, don't look now but rednecks and trailor park trash incoming, swooping in with their drunken loud motorcycles and their beaten up wives in the back yelling down with illegals. Could you expect anything less from this unmoderated comment section.

Great video by the way, just ignore the comments similar to mine.

February 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JOSE0311USMC

THAT GIRL ABOVE, I BET SHE EATS A LOT OF TACOS ....I WONDER IF SHE EVER SEEN A GYM ?

February 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Kerouac

Yes, she has. Then she ate it.

February 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Eileen Rivera

We're glad you all took a moment of your time and enjoyed our video. Combating stereotypes with humor is more effective than an angry article demanding respect and it's more fun to do. Join us on Facebook, check us out on You Tube and, don't forget our website at http://www.beinglatino.us.

February 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leonardo

I am part Mexican and find it impossible for you guys to sum up mi familia. How about being American since you live here now. What is wrong with that?

February 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nelson

Because we chose to do this. How about you do it, since you came up with the idea?

February 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Eileen Rivera

I am American. I was born here, so I've always lived here. I was taught to honor my heritage and it's an honor to identify as a Latina. That's actually what this country is all about, just in case you didn't read your history book.

February 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Stopcomplaining

Outliers only

February 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Common Sense

Latino is what they call themselves?Their called spanish speaking mulattoes.Try calling a true Spanish person latino or Hispanic

February 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eileen Rivera

If by "true Spanish person" you are referring to a Spaniard, then that's what they are Spaniards. They are Europeans. And yes, you are correct, we are mulattoes who speak Spanish, because those are our bloodlines. We call ourselves Latino and we also know how to use their/they're/there.

February 21, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • lavero

Wrong. "Multicultural" is right. Mulato means a mix of black/white. I'm of latin heritage on my mother's side (mexico) and am WHITE. Latina is not a race. Hispanic or latina.....whatever world you use, is not a race either. You are either white/black/or a mix or even indiginous indian.

February 21, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Multicultural

Actually not everyone that is Latino is a mulatto, and even if all were, would that signify inferiority? I think not. Individuals must be measured by their character and integrity as opposed to their racial make up. Latinos can be of Asian, Caucasian, African, and Native decent, as well as a mixture of all or several of those things. Latino is an ethnicity, not a race. You may want to read a little more about it before you comment next time. Have a great day bud.

February 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Multicultural

My response was to the "common sense" poster by the way...Thats the person who really needs to think it through. I know what Eileen meant.

February 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • rogo

we are latinos no hispanics. hispanics or iberian are from spain. we, people born in america, the american continet we are american latinos or latinoamericanos. got it?

February 22, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

wow "monkeys" correcting a typo bad friday ceaser no!

February 22, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  41. Manny

This is just one of many viral videos that focus on same topic. Surprised that you didn't cover some of the more popular ones that now have views in the millions. Like this one:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaDBD84ET0&w=640&h=390]

or this one:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vBGoboHqEQ&w=640&h=390]

and these as well:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QNkMPxKVjo&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aca6NVMbsjw&w=640&h=390]

and these as well:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vBGoboHqEQ&w=640&h=390]

Everyone is doing these videos and the vast majority of them have gone extremely viral much quicker than this one. Maybe a piece about the whole phenomenon would have been better journalism.

February 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manny

Sorry, meaning that a better story would have been about all the videos and what they represent. One video about a group of Northeast Latinos is just one part of the who slice, both the good and the bad. Each of them have their pros and cons.

February 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nelson

it's called reading comprehension. Try it. The article focused on this video because it did the exact opposite of all those other videos you mentioned. It's not about how many views it got. Read the article.

February 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Manny

I did ("With more than 21,000 Youtube views since last Wednesday and numerous shout-outs on Latino blogs and mainstream media outlets, it's an approach that seems to be gaining traction"), and CNN mentions the fact that it went viral. I am just questioning the claim about what viral means. Again, all the videos that do this meme have their positives and their flaws. Some will like other videos more than others, but it is irresponsible journalism to say that 21,000 views means traction. Again, it is CNN, which has become a public relations page anyway. They could have done a better piece about the whole issue and not just focus on one. I thought that video had its moments, but it was weak in other places. Just like a lot of the others ones too.

February 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Yoga Divina

I love the Video! Finding my Latina roots has been fun! LOVE IT!

February 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • beinglatino

Glad you liked! Keep up with what we're doing on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/beinglatino and don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/beinglatino.

Gracias!

February 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Laurita

Wow, I'm so proud of you, Lance!!! Qué orgullo. I will have to share this on my Espresso con Leche blog. ;)

February 21, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  44. Coqui Mexicano

here's another one of my favorite Being Latino videos!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

February 21, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  45. Coqui Mexicano

If you loved this video then you will love this next one when Being Latino asked its members to make a video of what being latino meant to them:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

February 21, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Coqui Mexicano

sorry for the double post.....computer froze

February 21, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • beinglatino

One of my faves!

February 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • crymore

Why I like being white.
      Wait....can't be proud of that 'cause that makes me a racist.

February 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • AZpatriot

@ crymore: being proud is not what makes you racist.
        being racist is what makes you racist.

February 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Zareth

Gang Members, wife (women) beaters, drug dealers

February 21, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Rbel

whatever I'm happily married to a hispanic man, and they are devoted and proud of their women

February 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • OneWorld2Love

If your going to say that about a hispanic man, that's just ignorant.

Men from all different cultures do the same thing, whether they're hispanic, african american or white....to generalize that comment about hispanic men is the dumb. Yes there are jerks out there, but there are some very honourable hispanic men out there who were never in gangs, have never beaten their wife or any woman and have never touched or sold drugs in their life.

February 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Sounds like Southern motorcycle gangs, yeeehaw, get me a beer! But really, what's your point, that rednecks come in all flavors?

February 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

and lawyers who represent white men who beat their asian spouses. (true story).

February 22, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

You talking about NAZI skinhead trailer bunnies, Zareth???

February 22, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  47. TiredOf Illegals

Another thing you won't EVER hear from latinos is, "Honey, I am on birth control!".

February 21, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • TheGman

jajaja seriously, u think giving your daughters contraceptive pills on her 12 birthday is the way to go?
      like it or not soon enough your president will be a latino ;)

February 21, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Not True

I'm a latina and I have said that before actually. This is a very interesting article. I'm proud to be American being born here and yet having a latin heritage that I have pride in as well. I always get stereotyped so its something I'm used to.

February 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diego

I'm PROUD to say that I'm a Latino. My parents and grandparents were born here. My great great grandparents were living in Texas before it became Texas. I have been married with the same loving woman since 1974. We have 2 adult daughters that I put through college by working 2 full time jobs sometimes 2 full time and a part time job. And before you say that I took jobs away from Americans, I needed a college degree for what I did and was solicited and offered large sums of money from different parts of the country asking me to relocate to their areas. My wife and I love each other very much and I have never laid a hand on her in anger.

February 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • WildWest

And Texas shall remain.... Remember the Alamo Chili choppas!

February 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Joejava

This made my morning.

February 21, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • beinglatino

We're glad you enjoyed! Fan us on Facebook to keep up on a daily basis!

February 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Latina throughnthrough

BL, I'm not sure why everyone is taking this so seriously... tongue-in-cheek people! I thought it was hilarious!

February 21, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Hohohee

haraharahahahah- Funnee!Humor is a weapon, alright! It also shows an an incredible level of ...you name it.

February 21, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • beinglatino

That's the name of the game. We too are Americans and we too can creating something that is media friendly, yet unoffensive to our gente!

February 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Richie

Our entire DOD press system is one big viral counter information piece... Get 10 sorry ass pucks to seed something while the DOD working under FBI cover suppresses all truth and watch how fast it spreads among 320,000,000 in the most ignorant perversion on the face of the Earth.

February 21, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  51. beinglatino

Love it! Thanks for the love, Emanuella!

February 21, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |