March 11th, 2012

The first Girl Scout: Portraits of Daisy Gordon Lawrence

In celebration of the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouts of America, LIFE.com has compiled photos of Daisy Gordon Lawrence, who in 1912 became the first girl scout in the United States.

Most of these images have never been published, a few appeared in LIFE magazine on November 22, 1948 in an article called "The First Girl Scout."

In that issue, LIFE wrote: “Girl Scouts have proved an important force in the nation’s youth. Today they can get proficiency badges in anything from journalism to international affairs."

Posted by
Filed under: Girls • History • Who we are • Women
  1. une femme avec une femme

Hello there, I found your website by means of Google even as looking for a comparable topic, your site got here up, it seems great. I have bookmarked to favourites|added to bookmarks.

September 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Osiel

Clint Ratchford – I was trying to ltcaoe the soundtrack or the music that was used in the Steve Kuclo video. I was also trying to get his fan email address so i could ask him a few quetions. I loved the video great job to everybody that was involved. Thank you for your help. Clint

April 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cindy Maddy

"THIS GALLARY HAS EXPIRED" message for photos.... already?

March 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pat

If you look closely at the first pic, you'll see that the girl scouts were segregated. All black girl scouts in the first pic.

March 13, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Emily Olbera

Nothing wrong with showing things from the past.. I was a girl scout growing up and its nice to see that they still have these old images..

March 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. 10 Year Old Junior Girl Scout

I love Girl Scouting – we do a lot of fun projects that help my community. My troop just made 100 blankets for children thoughout my city that are homeless, in the hospital, or have had some kind of tradgedy in their life.

But I think they have her name wrong because Daisy was just her nickname – her real name was Juliette Gordon Low.

March 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • 10 Year Old Junior Girl Scout

Never mind – it was just explained to me that Daisy Lawrence was the niece of Juliette Gordon Low. Juliette Gordon Low was the one who started Girl Scouts, and Daisy Lawrence was the first girl who was signed up as a Girl Scout.

March 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel R

That is wonderful! My daughter is a Daisy and her troop is preparing to do something for the victims of the tornado that did so much damage in West Liberty, KY. It's a fantastic organization and we are proud to be a part of it 100 years later!

March 13, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Allen

It's pretty evident why we haven't seen these particular photos until now.

March 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Charly

They forgot about the proficiency badge in the art of Lesbianism.

March 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concerned

Really? That is just dumb.

March 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |