March 21st, 2012

Demands for justice in Trayvon Martin case fueled by social media

By Stephanie Siek, CNN

(CNN) - Social media is fueling a rush of publicity and activism around demands for justice in the killing of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager shot last month by a white self-proclaimed neighborhood watchman in Florida. Local police have declined to arrest the watchman, George Zimmerman.

There are more than 50 petitions at Change.org related to Trayvon Martin, according to the activism website's  Communications Director, Brianna Cayo-Cotter. She said the cause is shaping up to be one of the most popular ever hosted on the site.

"By far the largest is the one started by Martin's mother, and it is one of the most viral campaigns ever," said Cayo-Cotter. "Our tech team is working round the clock to keep the site from crashing because of the numbers of people coming the site to sign the petition that Trayvon’s mom started."

Much of that traffic is driven by links to the petitions from social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, Cayo-Cotter said. The #TrayvonMartin hashtag attracted tens of thousands of mentions on Twitter, peaking Tuesday. News organizations' postings about the contents of 9-1-1 calls from the time of the Feb. 26 shooting have caused interest to pick up further. On Facebook, a group called "Justice For Trayvon Martin" has more than 18,000 "likes."

"We’re seeing social media become the worldwide megaphone for social injustice," said Allison Fine, an expert on social media activism and author of "The Networked Nonprofit." "This kind of incident is very clear cut, right and wrong – it's egregious, it's easily sharable… Broadcast media picks it up and social media picks it up and it ping pongs back and forth. Add in a couple of celebrities and you've got a social justice tsunami."

The petition "Prosecute the killer of our son, 17-year-old Trayvon Martin," was posted March 8th and by  6 p.m. EST Tuesday it had garnered more than 631,000 signatures. The number of signatories has more than doubled since Friday, Cayo-Cotter said. It asks that Florida’s 18th District Attorney, Norman Wolfinger, investigate Martin's death and prosecute George Zimmerman for his murder. Late Monday, the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI both said they would be looking into the case.

Fine said the petition posted by Martin's family provided a deeply personal layer to the tragedy that compelled people to act.

"People are getting more in the habit of expressing their outrage on social media and doing something about it," said Fine. "I was just looking at the petition and it is absolutely moving, to see their words and their asking for justice. It's reaching beyond an advocacy group asking on their behalf."

But strangers with no connection to the family have also taken their outrage to the web. Another popular petition, on the civic action site SignOn.org, had more than 290,000 signatures by 6 p.m. EST on Tuesday. “Justice for Trayvon Martin,” posted March 17  by Bowie, Md. resident Maria Roach, asks U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to investigate the case.

Roach, a documentary filmmaker, said she was moved to create her petition out of empathy for Martin and his family, but also because she felt his death wasn’t getting enough attention from prosecutors or national media at the time.

"We looked at the pictures of him (Martin) and he looks like our 7-year-old in ten years.  I looked at it and tears welled in my eyes," said Roach. "I pray that the outcome will be justice – justice that the family will take comfort in."

She used her Twitter and Facebook accounts to spread the word about the petition, sending links to actors like Pam Grier and Tichina Arnold, prominent pastors and civil rights leaders. Progressive activist group MoveOn.org contacted her and asked if they could send links to the petition to their members – "that's when it really exploded," Roach said. Later this week she’ll be delivering the petition and its signatures to Holder's office.

1. Licht

It's really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

March 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. francisco medina

zimmerman is a killer,and a heroe for the republicans,he is not hispanic he is a republican.the white people are good people,if they are democrats,

March 26, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • allen

Wait a Minute … for years 10, 20, 30 years black on black assaults, stabbings, shooting, of black children, teen and adults has been going on … whole-sale murders. Now as tragic as it may be Zimmerman kills Trayvon and all hell breaks lose in the media. Why now? What about the thousands of black on black killings … kids, teen, & adults that were innocent victims … dead. There was a mother, a black police officer in California, just this week asking for help in finding out who shoot and killed her son a year ago. What about that mother, why is she not getting the press that Trayvon is getting? It's really quite simple … all the thousands of dead blacks were killed by blacks, (does that make it OK in the black community's eyes?). Now Zimmerman (white) shoots & kills Travon (black) and all of a sudden it matters so muck that president Obamba puts his 2-cents into social media talk. Why didn't the black community take care of their own house 20-30 year ago? Oh ! but now it's a white on black shooting and all hell breaks lose. Had this been a black man shooting Trayvon it would have been just as tragic, yet it it may have only been in the news a day or two. Explain all the to the (black) families that lost children in the last 30 years in black on black shootings … and don't forget to say a prayer for them all … .

July 20, 2013 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fritz Hohenheim

Megaphone for injustice? In my eyes it's the return of good ol' lynch justice with reversed colours and on the internet. By the way, CNN and MSNBC also fuel this fire that's about to get out of control. I'm afraid this might turn into another LA riot thing since the media really turn it into a black vs white hate thing. I would have expected some more responsibility from CNN

March 25, 2012 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Thomas

I think this is a very tragic, and inexcusable, situation, but it is being blown way out of proportion. The fact that it is being fueled by race is even more detestable. How much coverage have you seen about the two blacks setting the white boy on fire; while screaming “you get what you deserve, white boy.” I have not heard the NAACP, The President, or the left leaning media saying one word about that.

March 24, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. MomInGA

this whole story makes me sad. regardless of race this child's murder needs to be investigated...i find it disgusting that this child was in the morgue 3 days before his parents were notified and had toxicology screens ran on him but his "suspected" killer was allowed to leave the scene with not even a breathalizer..this case is not about black/white/hispanic its about right and wrong. and it was wrong of mr. zimmerman to peruse this kid and take his life when 911 dispatch told him they didn't need him to do that, cops were on the way. i feel he lost all his rights to claim self defense once he made his mind up to follow Trayvon. i live in a state that has a "castle"/"stand your ground" type law. my husband actually shot an intruder who broke into our home and was covered by this law. he did not shoot to kill rather to protect and he made sure he shot him in a place that would not render him dead. had my husband chased this man out of our house and shot him in the streets he would probably be in jail. hell they even did a drug panel on him even though he was in our home and he had to go downtown after sitting hours in a squad car....i find it hard to believe that mr. zimmerman was allowed to just walk home.....the outrage is not that this child was black and mr.zimmerman is of caucasian and hispanic decent but rather the police did not do their job and mr.zimmerman did a "job" he appointed himself to..... and as for protecting his neighborhood? wasn't Trayvon's dad apart of that neighborhood? why wasn't he protecting Trayvon instead of killing him?

March 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

I am sorry the kid got shot. What about the atrocities where gangs of blacks beat and kill whites just because they are white? Never do I hear mention of a "hate crime" when this happens. How about equal representation for the white race?

March 23, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. lola

I do think the police are not doing their job because they have testimony from neighbors saying the kid was yelling for help and then shot.. what else do they need to see that this was not self-defense. And no im not going by what the media says because the own eye witness her self was on tv stating that..Zimmerman is a cop wanna be and was acting like he was on a mission to be hero but in reality is he was over himself and killed an innocent boy. And if Martin did punch him in the face was probably because Zimmerman was all in his face trying to be a detective and assume he was doing something bad. I think Zimmerman needs some mental help to let him know he is no cop.. as a neighborhood watch person..you just watch and see if anything is going that needs to be reported..you should not get yourself in a dangerous position because you are not trained. He should do some time for what he did. He'll get whats coming to him.

March 23, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. josh

I am a little worry about the investigation. Will it be finding the truth or making up one?

March 23, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Destiny M

This is very unexceptable because for me to be 10 this could happen to me at anytime it really make me think. You going to sit here and shoot me just because im B.W.W.
    -I love my school daniel intermediate

March 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. concernrican

I was there at the rally.. Al Sharpton did a wonderful job despite his own personal tragedy. I couldn't stop the tears from running down my eyes as my husband and I tried to explain to our 13 year old son the reaslities of race as he grows up in this country. All of his young years he has been tought to respectect auhority. But this discussion took a turn that should be mirrored in every household to better prepare out children..

March 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • B_Mac

Al Sharpton is a fool and his followers are even more foolish. He lines his pocket with racism, preaches it, keeps it alive. His income requires it to stay. And you think he's doing it to help! He brings race into every possible scenerio. Hows it ever going to end with trash like that.

March 23, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. kim

I think Zimmerman needs to be arrest and let the jury decide his fate. I don't know exactly how the police handle the scene I just hope that they kept the evidence, pictures and talked with the whole neighborhood. This was a child that had no weapon vs. adult with a gun . to me the child never had a fair chance to really protect himself. Another thing when Zimmerman was telling the 911 dispatcher that he was acting strange. I would be acting strange too if there is a stranger following me, someone I don't now following me I would be scared. We teach our kids about stranger danger,so yes he was acting strange.

March 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GG

Zimmerman is a HERO! If we had more people like him protecting our neighborhoods, we would have a lot less crime. We would also have a lot less men in the prison system soaking up federal funds. I think he should be honored and not prosecuted. I am thinking of starting a legal fund to raise money for his defense. For those interested in donating for his defense, stay tuned.

March 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

OMG...r u serious? What is wrong with you? This young man was HUMAN and got his LIFE taken for NO reason! What was he going to do, throw Skittles at Zimmerman or mace him in the face with his Iced Tea? Wow, its people like you that make this world a WORSE place!

March 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Power To The People

I
      I feel for you because you are wasting your money to give to the Zimmerman's defense fund. Zimmerman's this trigger happy wanna be cop, I am telling you Zimmerman is going to be charged with the murder Trayvon Martin and he is going to serve time in jail. For each day that Zimmerman's sits in jail he is going to flashback on how he took someone's life for no reason. For the people of American continue to keep the heat on regarding this case especially to change this stupid law in Florida and other states, "Stand Your Ground". Your death Trayvon will not be in vain.

March 22, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • supreme

its honestly morons like you who should either be in prison or on an island with others alike

March 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • josh

the case will be open and closed soon. It will also be overturned but many years.

March 23, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. bp

This guy, Bill Lee, comes across as a complete buffoon. Ending his law enforcement career should be automatic at this point.

March 22, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • cas

Just blows my mind how they actually thought they could sweep something so flagrant under the carpet.....Makes you wonder how they dealt with other cases involving black victims, where there was not so much pile of information..

March 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shirley

I am a physician who deals with end of life care issues and the thought of a teen dying alone, scared and trembling is so distressing to me. I have held so many strangers hands as they lay dying and made sure many did not die alone. When I think of Trayvon, I think of my 16 year old black son who despite being over 6 feet tall and having a manly appearance is only a child needing love and protection.

March 22, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bryan

The day social media impacts the outcome of a criminal investigation is the day I turn in my passport and head for greener pastures....I could care less what anyone on twitter or facebook has to say....I only care what the professionals investigating the situation have to say.

March 21, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nuki

What is social media pointed out an injustice or cover-up in a case?

While I agree it would be wrong to convict someone or free a criminal solely due to social media pressure, just because social media is use to discuss a case or bring attention to it does not make such discussion or attention wrong.

I would far rather live in a country with completely open and accessible social media than one that censured and controlled it. In other words, free speech verses censorship. I prefer free speech.

March 22, 2012 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. Molosar

I think Zimmerman should be charged and convicted of capital murder. And I will volunteer to pull the switch or inject the drugs without hesitation.

March 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nuki

You should not be so quick to lynch Zimmerman. What if he really did have a reason to believe he was in danger? Fla law allows you to defend yourself from harm as long as you are not the aggressor or instigator, and the altercation was not premeditated.

My trouble with all this is the speed that the local police decided it was a justified shooting.. There are WAY too many unanswered questions and conflicting evidence.

This SHOULD be investigated, and if it is determined Zimmerman was guiltly of murder he should do the time or visit ol'sparky if convicted.

I myself believe that Trayvon Martin was innocent of any wrong doing except possibling getting into a fight with a racist vigilante. But it will be up to a Grand Jury, the state of FLa, and the DoJ to determined that.

March 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Don

The altercation may not have been premeditated however, Zimmerman stalked the victim. There was no reason for Zimmerman to "Approach", following was OK because he was in contact with the police. But why "Approach" and thus have a confromtation? No need, there needs to be an answer (at least for the family).

March 22, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Nuki

DON
        IMO what Zimmerman did when he followed Trayvon made it premeditated. By conscious action and fore thought he decided to approach Trayvon. He shoud have stopped or just waited for police. Also by being the one confronting Trayvon made him aggressor as well IMO. Both these reasons should have ruled out using self-defense under the Fla "Stand Your Ground" law.

March 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

Awesome....so you don't want to look at facts or anything...you want to read a article online then kill someone...great. Sounds like you are pretty dangerous...maybe you should be locked up.

March 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • B_Mac

And let me guess, your a black man living in white America? How bout looking at your own to help iliminate the race problems in this country. Example: rap music being blasted all over the country, being listened to by our youth. You dont suppose this is where they learn it? Then when a white youth uses the same language he's a racist. If you would stop using it it would go away eventually. If not how bout learning to live with it, I guess that's too much to ask huh? If minorities want to quit being treated like minorities than stop playing the part, grow up. Pull your pants up too!

March 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • KLS

That is an excellent point. I was beside a black guy in a car the other day, blasting that "music" with liberal use of the "N" word that they claim to hate so much. Singing about killing police, raping "hos," robbing a store – and they wonder why society doesn't trust them? I am so sick and tired of this ****.

March 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nuki

To KLS
        The fact that some Blacks listen to rap or hip-hop with degusting lyrics does not mean all blacks think or agree with those songs. Song Wihtes listen as well. David Duke still has a listening audience via the Internet, does that make all Whites neo-nazi's and KKK members?

March 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

nuki, not really in the same ball park, I would have to search to listen to David Duke. I'd like to see both illegal but you know this freedom of speech thing? Racism has become no more than an excuse every time something bad happens. So do we really want to eliminate it? No more excuses, just responsible people stepping up to the plate. I think too many like it this way!

March 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Da_truth33

It's funny how white America Was All Over Mike Vick Over Killing Some Dogs,But It's Ok To Kill a Black Kid And Not Be Charged!!!!!! Only IN WHITE AMERICA

March 21, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

Da_truth, you should change your name to da_assumption. The outrage over this murder crosses over all races. To say white folks aren't calling for justice is ignorant.

March 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patty

Oh and guess what, I can be outraged over several things at once. Amazing huh?

March 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

patty,YOU DON'T NO WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!! BUT LIKE I SAID IT'S FUNNY HOW WHITE AMERICA WAS ALL OVER MIKE VIKE OVER SOME DAMN DOGS!!!!

March 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

Patty you need to be in the real world,not just the white american world!! this was wrong and should have been charged,but someone black kill some dogs there going to jail!!! remember dog fighting was started by white people in the south!! but it ok to kill a little black kid over nothing are u SERIOUS PATTY? I'm Starting Wonder About You!!

March 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |

The "Da" says it all.

March 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kris

I agree with Patty, to say all whites are not outraged by this is absurd! I am white...and knowing this monster is still walking free makes me want to vomit! I don't see skin color, PERIOD...! Please do not lump all "of us white people" in the same group. A person is a person, no matter what color your skin is! He still felt the pain that any other person would feel and his parents heart still break the same way mine does. Its 2012 people, let the color issue go and treat each other like humans! May God be with Trayvon's family and friends during this devistating time and hold them even closer since the justice system in Florida sucks! First Casey Anthony kills Caylee and gets away with it and now this fruit loop is still walking the streets? smh....o and DaTruth...my fav player just happens to be Vick..hopefully you learned something out of this post...we are not all the same bc of the color of our skin!! =]

March 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moni

All I can say to your comment is "Amen", we live in a country where animals are more valuable than humans..something is terrible wrong with this picture.

March 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

It's The Truth!! We Have People On Here Like B_Mac Who Is Lost From Reality In This In This Country!!

March 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • GG

Animals don't steal and kill other humans. I prefer animals over thugs and hoodlums.

March 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Americanspeak

White America? Where have you been? The killer is mexican. We need to control our southern borders, quit outsourcing, and create/keep jobs in this country. We need to quit freely giving billions to third world countries and deport those that impose their 3rd world ideologies and violence on American soil. In addition, some jerk that referred to himself only as mohammad stated that he doesn't see color because they "use burkas on their women and blacks and so should America". My skin is dark enough without having to wear a burka, and it's no secret that their women are regarded less value than stray dogs, so blacks are in that same line as far as mohammad is concerned; and your comments are no better. Somebody's child was killed, the killer is not arrested and everyone should be outraged at such an atrocity!

March 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

Americaspeak,It's not the Mexicans!! White people came and took this land from the Indians your just saying this because white people are about to be the minority!! in this country! white america WILL NOT Be White In about 10years!! this is a very racist country!! and white america needs to wake up!!!

March 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

I JUST LEARNED THAT NEIGHBORHOOD HAD 4 PREVIOUS ROBBERIES, ALL 4 BY BLACKS...

March 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Guest

Nice, by that logic we should just shoot dead every single black person in the neighborhood, right?

Maybe it should be Hispanics or people with names like Jose instead?

March 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nuki

Learned from whom? The local KKK member?
        Even IF this fact is true, does that make it OK to confront and shoot Blacks just for walking down the street?

What if the last 4 robberies were done by men who were right handed or had brown eyes. Does that make it right to stop and confront all men who are right handed and brown eyed in that neighborhood?

March 22, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

it's funny how the black community is all up in arms over this poor black kid getting shot, but not marching over this kid who was set on fire http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-03-04/news/31122324_1_white-boy-fire-tv-station

March 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Guest

Mike, excuse me, but what rock did you crawl out from? Are these two situations in any way analogous? Are you so blinded by hate that you cannot discern any distinction?

March 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yes Lawd...

@Da Truth33...you are speaking the truth!! and the TRUTH HURTS don't it Patty??? You have got to be blind and deaf to not see this as a hate crime of a human being! but ohhh let a damn dog get run over in the street, you probably doing 90+mph to get a license plate number of the "criminal"...Wake up Please!!

March 21, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • HoG

Zimmerman isn't white, he is hispanic. What do you have to say now?

March 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

Hog,It Does not Matter It Happen And It Was Wrong!! That's The Problem With This Racist Ass Country!!

March 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tpkany

Why isn't the black community as outrage about black youths gunning each other down everyday

March 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

Tpkany,It's the white man that brings drugs in the country!! and it's also the white man that put liquor stores on each block in the neighborhood!!

March 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nuki

So are you saying no Black Americans were outraged by Vick?
      Or the ONLY reason Whites were outraged was because Vick was Black and not because the average American views dogs as cherished pets?

Moreover what does Vick have to do with this case? Where is there ANY proof that White Americans are not outraged by this case? Right now Google News shows over 3,500 news reports from media outlets all across America, where is this apathy you seem to think White Americans have for this case?

March 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

check this out,mike vick went to jail over some dogs!!! and yes white america made a big issue out of it Because most black people dont look at dogs like most white people do!! it's alot different!! the point i'm making is it's ok to be locked up over a animal then kill a human and be free and not charged!!! dude you are slow if u could not understand this!!

March 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nuki

DA TRUTH

Vick was convicted of a crime, one he pled guilty to. This happened in South Carolina, not Fla. The fact in is Black or that you don't think it was much of a crime has no barring on the Zimmerman case. Just because you perceive an injustice in that case does not somehow make the prosecution of Vick fair or unfair.

Nor does the fact that Vick was arrested and Zimmerman has not been (yet) any proof that white America is apathic to this case, or that Vick was only arrested because he was Black.

Yes there is something wrong and possibly racist in allowing Zimmerman off. It is an injustice in my opinion. I am not claiming there is not strong evidence of racism in this case. What I'm objecting to is this idea you have that since injustices have been done now and the past by "Whites" that somehow that means Black Americans should be cut some sort of slack or allowed to commit crimes to make up for that injustice.

BTW, Your commets about Blacks not looking at dogs the same way as Whites is very offensively racist and a stereotype.
        Are you actually claiming Blacks are unable to love and cherish a pet to the same degree as Whites?
        Or are you saying Blacks are just more cold-hearted and bloodthirsty to the point it doesn't bother them to kill a dog?

March 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • lee123

Don't make this a white and black thing, you are taking away what really happen here. I totally agree he needs to be arrested and so do all of my friends, I am 46 years old white and I have three kids. What has happen here is a joke the man should be in jail and most people think the same thing so lets not take this to black and white.

March 22, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • B_Mac

your way to racist to be in this country, you hate it so much leave!

March 22, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
      • KLS

They'll never leave. They have to good here. Every time something happens, Sharpton starts flapping his big stupid gums and "White America" bends over. Here we go again.

March 22, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |

Directed at Da truth.

March 22, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

The shooter was Hispanic smart one. And white America is outraged as well, quit making ignorant assumptions.

March 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • eb1968

Da_truth33, you're actually wanting to hold on to these antiquated ideals that have plagued this country for so long. I can certainly appreciate that I have NEVER experienced what you have, but you have to see that not just blacks are up in arms about the murdering of this child there are many, many white Americans standing beside you in support of rectifying this injustice. Our country needs to continue to knock down these race barriers and this is certainly evidence that this is happening. I think this is an absolute senseless tragedy.

Regarding your comments about Michael Vick's killings dogs, you must not have the same sentiments towards animals as others do. Regardless of who started dog fights, it has ALWAYS been wrong and it ALWAYS WILL be wrong. No animal deserves to be tortured, and to continually breed animals to feed this industry is unconscionable. I don't care what color Michael Vick is. What he did was WRONG. What is did to those animals and allowed to be done to those animals is disturbing and heartbreaking.

I appreciate your resentment towards white American. I can understand it why you would feel that way. I can also imagine why you would be reticent to not be guarded when we reach out, but you can help build a better world by giving us a little benefit of the doubt so one day we truly all will be treated equally.

March 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLS

Pretty sure "White America" was all over "Mr. Vick" because he treated an animal just the same way he'd treat a person. If you're raised to have no respect for life (animal or human) THEN THAT'S THEY WAY YOU ACT. The only reason he got paid millions of dollars was because he knows HOW TO PLAY A GAME. He is not smart. He is a street thug with money.

March 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. NorthernCA

thank goodness there is a means for citizens to help another citizen or family, when justice is denied them, by bringing attention to their issue!

March 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

I'M FOR THE FACTS...THE PICTURES THAT YOU ARE LOOKING ON CNN , ARE WHEN HIS WAS YOUNGER.....I HEARD THAT HE'S 6–3 NOW AND A LOT OLDER.

March 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Robert

It is so sad that public opinion is so easily swayed by the media. Why can't we wait for the Grand Jury findings before deciding Zimmerman's fate? The media wasn't there, they don't have all of the facts, they are just reporting what people who are willing to talk are saying. And, who is willing to talk? Not the police, not Zimmerman.

March 21, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcp123

"don't have all the facts"

Here is what I do know... teen... unarmed walking home. Zimmerman... armed neighborhood watch (he is not a police officer). Zimmerman confronted him and the unarmed teen wound up dead.

Walking home is not a crime...possessing skittles/tea and a cellphone is not a crime. Shooting someone who is unarmed is a crime although maybe not in Florida since its run by Jeb.

March 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • NorthernCA

without this media attention there would be NO grand jury! Don't you get it?

March 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Americanspeak

Grand Jury can't get involved unless an arrest is made. No arrest has been made, that's what everyone is outraged about.

March 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

FLORIDA HAVE A LAW THAT OTHER STATES DO NOT HAVE .STAND YOUR GROUND LAW..

March 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nuki

That is backwards, a GRAND JURY is convened when they is no clear cut proof of right or wrong in a criminal case. They decide if there is enough evidence to prove a crime MIGHT have been comitted and whom should be charged or arrested for that crime. Only then (in cases involving Grand juries) are arrest made and the case go to trail.

This is exactly the type of case where a Grand Jury might (and should) be called.

March 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. KLS

I'm sure this is not going to be a popular comment, but whoever is guilty or innocent doesn't seem to matter in this situation. The larger problem is the fact that the reason young black males are stereotyped is because they are the ones that the we see committing the majority of the crimes. At least as far as the media portrays it. We see on our local news and national news, night after night, African American males as the instigators of the majority of violent crimes in this country. If only the African American community voiced as much outrage about that situation as they are in the instant case, and work toward making change in their own community so that they are not stereotyped in this manner, I think the the public would be more sympathetic.

March 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |

Very true.

March 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

but instead of blaming the media, how bout lack of common sense? The facts are out there do some research!

March 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Da_truth33

The B Say's It All Get a Life!!!

March 21, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justthefacts

You are 100% correct. And there is nothing wrong with the law in Florida. Zimmerman followed Martin, he did not have to do that. I think he mitigated his right to self defense and could be construed as the aggressor. Also, I am sure Zimmerman didn't think "Oh the law is Florida says I can kill this guy and claim self defense" before he followed. As usual with the media and weak minded liberals, they are politicizing this and using it for their own benefit. This was a tragedy.

March 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • mcp123

"As usual with the media and weak minded liberals"

Don't you mean weak minded republicans? Its your law... you do know Jeb Bush is governor right? Wild West type permissiveness and lax regulation are their forte.

March 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • NorthernCA

Jeb Bush signed this law

March 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • littlegal

if you actually read the story. Z call the police and told he suspect someone and the police told him NOT to follow him they will come. Z ignore the police and follow up.. why??

March 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

THAT NEIGHBORHOOD WAS ROB 4 TIMES PRIOR TO THE SHOOTING ..ALL 4 TIMES BY BLACKS.

March 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeSmitters

That may be true. But media isn't controlled by black execs (BET was before the Viacom buyout, but channel is just ignorance in most cases). You're right there should be more outrage, but it's harder to change. Unless we go back to 1950s style protesting

March 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • GG

Amen KLS..... Very well written.

March 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bsa

I totally agree, Look I worry about my 3yr old son everyday. Looking at the news doesnt help. Out of the 7 days of the week in indianapolis, I'd say the news will report a white crime maybe twice out of the week, and then they are back to the same black on black crime. YES I'm tried of it. Me being black I feel we are sterotyped, but when society closes the doors on most of the programs that will enrich All youth, especially in poor neighborhoods, and open the doors of liquor stores, chicken joints, and churches, what do they have. I live on the north side of indy, and there is plenty of activites out here for my children to do, they are expensive, but I work so I can provide them with these activites. Unfortunately the poorer neighborhoods cant, or should I say wont.
      I know of quite a few drug slangers and welfare recipients that could use that extra money{free money} and put it toward after school activites, community jobs, and education, but they dont. They live for today not tommorrow.
      In saying this I CHOOSE TO SUPPORT MY CHILDRENS EDUCATION, LIFE AND WELL BEING, I CHOOSE TO NOT LET SOCIETY DICTATE HOW MY CHILDREN ARE RAISED AND WHERE THEY SHOULD LIVE, I CHOOSE TO ALLOW MY CHILDREN TO DREAM, INSPIRE,CREATE, AND SUCEED. I wish everyone would,

March 23, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. NENE

THE AMERICAN JUSTICE SYSTEM IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE, AND THIS IS JUST THE LATEST EXAMPLE OF THAT FACT. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF TRAYVON MILLERS OUT THERE, NOT TO MENTION THE ONES INCARCERATED FOR CRIMES WHITES WOULD RARELY BE PROSECUTED FOR, ITS SICK, THIS COUNTRY IS SICK!

March 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • B_Mac

justice is working, why dont you wait for the truth before you help incite a riot!

March 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Guest

The justice system in this case has failed. Thanks only to the media and to people like us who are calling for an investigation is this moving forward. No thanks to creeps like you.

March 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjmyates

This was handled very badly by law enforcement and it will be up to the Justice Dept. to straighten it out according to Florida law. God help them.

March 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |

CASEY ANTHONY -O.J..

March 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. B_Mac

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that Zimmerman is guilty? He was doing his job, helping protect his neighborhood. Lets say he confronted this kid, turned and headed back to his truck and was attacked from behind? There was a cut on the back of his head. Where would the support be then?
    Another scenerio, Lets say Zimmerman did leave after reporting to the cops. Now a suspect robs someone and a home owner gets injured or killed. Would the same people be rallying? I think not.

March 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeSmitters

If that was a white kid doing the SAME exact thing as Trayvon Martin, would you be saying your same ignorance? I think not.

March 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |

bet your ass I would!

March 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • KLS

No, you wouldn't. Because we wouldn't have heard about it.

March 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

And where exactly would you be with this had it been a white kid?

March 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

Everyone knows what kids don't steal or kill.

March 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

THE OLD NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH CAPTAIN SAID THAT THE 6-3 TALL SO CALL KID PUNCHED ZIMMERMAN ON THE FACE.

March 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drake

Well consider this other scenario B_Mac. Zimmerman spots a boy walking through a gated community. He decides that based on the color of his skin, he can't belong there and is on drugs. He swears to himself that he can no longer let the a..hole go scot free even if it means provoking an altercation – which he does. Trayvon just like any other human fights back and gets killed BUT unlike most humans in America, he is black and dies for it.
      If Trayvon was a white 17 y/o boy, none of this would happen and any person who disputes this either doesn't live in the US, or is too blinded by the niceties of his/her own racial social status to see what the others see on the other side.

March 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

So we are all racist, and you get beat up every day for being black! You even try to imagine what people are thinking. By the way Zimmerman is also a minority, or a least some are saying he is.

March 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

ZIMMERMAN LOOK MEXICAN TO ME, BUT I NEVER HEARD OF A MEXICAN WITH A LAST NAME LIKE THAT..MAYBE HE WAS ADOPTED ???? THE SO CALL KID ? IS A LOT OLDER THAN THOSE PICTURES YOU BEEN LOOKING AT...HE'S ALSO 6–3 A GIANT..ZIMMERMAN 5-2

March 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Doe

Are you serious? Would if that was your child, brother, nephew, cousin, family member or loved one that was shot and killed for walking to the corner store. How would you feel then? You can would if a scenario about anything, but that wasnt the case.He wasnt in the neighborhood distrubing anyone or causing harm to anyone. He was an unarmed kid walking to the store, I never knew that walking to the store was a crime. Your head is so far up your stinking ass you dont realize that Zimmerman was DEAD wrong and should prosectuted.

March 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

And your another that thinks he knows what happen. Intellegent people look at facts and use common sense!

March 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

THAT KID IS NO KID. HE IS 6–3 FEET TALL..ZIMMERMAN IS 5-3 ACCORDING TO WHAT I HEARD...ZIMMERMAN WAS PUNCHED ON THE FACE BY THE KID.

March 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • anastasia

Because Zimmerman's story doesn't add up. It's not his JOB. He was a self-appointed crime watcher. He made a racial slur that has come to light on the 911 tapes. He projected things about Martin that weren't true such as "oh, he's staring at me and now he's got his hand down his waist band". Because he was out of his mind when he caught up with Martin- if he wasn't he would've seen that all Martin had on him was an iced tea and a bag of skittles and a cell phone. Because he had 100+ pounds on the kid. Because he refused to sit still and give his house information to the dispatcher, and instead told the dispatcher to just have the cops call him when they get in the neighborhood and he'll give them the location of the guy. This man is a racially blinded vigilante, and an INNOCENT young boy lost his life. His father lives there, he had no weapons, they have phone records showing he was on the phone with his girlfriend the whole time and wasn't doing anything menacing. But go ahead- portray that there "must" be something more to it. There are just very twisted and bad people in this world who are stupid as dirt and think that a person's skin color automatically devalues them. Plain and simple.

March 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

all your doing is reciting media garbage. Wait and learn the facts. He may be guilt as hell. but he may not be.

March 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bb

B_Mac you are a vile person. When people talk about stains on the earth, a waste of oxygen, I never think much of it. But now I can see it. My stomach sunk when I read your posts because people like you...you are the worst. Disgusting words and disgusting demeanor and person. People like you...there are plenty of them. Youtube, various message boards....full of people like you with your absolutely ridiculous, tapped opinions where you spout them with the arrogance of a fool and the saddest part is you will never change. You are seriously tapped and deluded and you make me sick. Are you racist? I would say so. Are you a bigot? I would say so. You remind of the sort who'd say 'ohh, but I'm not racist! I have a black friend! We need to see evidence, we need to let the COURTS decide. And black people make it worse for themselves anyway!"

I didn't even hear about this case until recently but now that it's spread internationally I am glad as at least it means there's a chance something will be done : How sad is that? A mere chance? What a disgusting legal system and what a disgusting person you are to represent your country with your gross sentiments.

March 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

And what country are you from? Or do you just exist in the atmosphere somewhere. Totally out of touch with reality. What a fool! Are you All Sharpton?

March 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carolyn

But that didn't happen....Trayvon is the innocent one and Zimmerman was NOT doing his job. No one hired him. He is a self appointed killer who hates black people

March 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Mac B: are you out of your mind? Doing what "JOB"? A volunteer self appointed neighborhood watch person? A guy who is in his SUV knowing he has gun who gets out actively pursues someone he does not recognize and who is posing NO THREAT, is then told not to do that but continues on?

No one in their right mind would stand behind Zimmerman, including the very conservatives in Florida who drafted this law and who are now coming out and saying it does not hold water.

To top it off we have a police force that is so blinded by race that they just assumed Zimmerman was telling the truth–didnt' even impound his car or do the required drug or alcohol tests.

People like you are the very reason we have problems like this in Florida. What a disgrace!

March 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • B_Mac

If you people would just remove the race card for a moment, you would see this was just a concerned resident doing his part/job to protect his neighborhood that has been recently robbed several times. He confronted someone who didnt belong. All legit so far. The question is who started the fight and how do we interpet the law in Florida. I can see Myself confronting a stranger if it were my turn to protect my neighborhood. Armed or unarmed, Had he been unarmed he (at this time) could have been the one killed. For all we know Zimmerman could have been attacked.

March 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Anna Barton

If Trayvon was still alive, his argument would also have been self defence – from a middle aged, aggressive stalker! Zimmerman was the instigator of this altercation however you try and turn it. You just have to ask yourself, would this have happened id Zimerman encountered a middle aged white chap hurrying down the road to get out of the rain – the answer is no, he would have given a low key greating and continued on his way looking for real villains.....

March 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Zaperdon

It doesn't matter if the whole world wants him to be charged. We need to follow the evidence and let the facts speak for themselves. I am reserving judgment until after the voice analysis comes back. For some reason the cops think it was self defense. let's give them the benefit of the doubt until someone can prove otherwise. There is no point in charging the guy if there isn't a jury in the whole state of Florida that would convict. I don't understand how Zimmerman got a blooded nose and lacerated skull. Also, the cops seem pretty sure that it was Zimmerman screaming for help and not Martin. If he is charged with anything it will manslaughter, and in Florida he would be out of jail in less than 5 years anyway.

March 21, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

I AGREE. KEEP AN OPEN MIND...ZIMMERMAN IS ALREADY GUILTY IN THE PUBLIC OPINION,, THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HAPPEN, BUT HE 'S GUILTY

March 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Craig

Most of us are not saying Zimmerman is guilty, what we are demanding, as a society, is that he be arrested, charged, and let the court system decide and not the police department "investigation". With so many uncertainties of Zimmerman's story, this should absolutely be going to the legal system so that justice can be determined.

March 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

FLORIDA HAVE A LAW, THAT MOST STATES DO NOT, WHY THEY HAVEN'T ARRESTED HIM...

March 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Guest

Au contraire, we have plenty of clues, like the tapes we've hear over and over and a record of indifference and incompetence on the part of the police who failed to do mandatory drug tests on Zimmerman but did on the dead Martin. They assumed Zimmerman told the truth even though there was a dead body to account for. Clues, and plenty of them, for sure and that is why we demand an investigation and a prosecution. Few are calling for anything else. Justice is all we want.

March 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • anastasia

Because a 17yo kid, 140 lbs with no record and no weapons walking to his father's house, who's being followed and watched by a nearly 30 year old man, 240 lbs, who then tries to run away from the large, aggressive, and ARMED male must have been guilty of something. Right? How did Zimmerman get a bloody nose or head you ask- well how did Martin get the back of his clothes all soaked and full of grass? One of the many 911 calls is from a neighbor reporting that she can see a man in a white tshirt (zimmerman) on top of another person. she then hears the gun shot, and sees the man get up. Yeah, let's wait for all the facts to come out, because what happened is not so blatantly obvious. There is no super twist or surprise ending here- if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck don't wait for someone to tell you it's not a goose.

March 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Robert

Trayvon was 6'3" tall. George Zimmerman was 5'2" tall.

March 21, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Erica

Wow really dude yea the boy was taller but Zimmerman was well over 200lbs and Martin was what 115 to 120lbs soaking wet come on. Don't be as stupid as Sandford P.D.

March 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bb

You're right. The case is cut and dried – if only all courts had people like you to bring the pearls of wisdom? My God, the stupidity of people never fails to amaze.

March 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |

THE KID ?? NO KID.

March 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Guest

Jose, do you understand that you are a racist pig, probably just like Zimmerman? Stop it. You embarrass people and the fact you are a Marine only makes it worse.

March 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy 51yr wh in Pa

What does size have to do with anything! If someone had a gun on my 6'3 son I'm sure he would fight for his life too ! Zimmerman had NO business following Trayvon, he was told by 911 not to do that. Maybe the little man need to carry a gun to fell Big ,at the expense off an unarmed kid.

March 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. cnnssiek

Technically, the term "hispanic" is a cultural designation, not a racial one. Hispanic can refer to someone of any race. George Zimmerman hasn't said how he identifies himself, but his father, in a letter to the Orlando Sentinel, said his son is Hispanic: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-trayvon-martin-shooting-zimmerman-letter-20120315,0,1716605.story

March 21, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  27. rlee

Is Zimmerman a White or Hispanic? I think if writer should have confirmed information in article.

March 21, 2012 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
    • bb

Look at the post above yours or maybe just exercise those fingers and Google. Are people really so academically lacking that they don't know about things like this?

March 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

ZIMMERMAN IS HISPANIC, BUT HIS LAST NAME IS NOT.....HE WAS PROBABLY ADOPTED ?

March 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nuki

What racist area of the USA are you from where it is unheard of a "Hispanic" woman marrying a "White" man?

And what does Zimmerman's ethnicity has to do with whether or not he was justified in shooting Trayvon?

March 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |