Opinion: Why black people don't trust the police
A memorial to Trayvon Martin outside The Retreat at Twin Lakes community where he was shot by George Zimmerman.
March 26th, 2012

Opinion: Why black people don't trust the police

Editor's note: LZ Granderson, who writes a weekly column for CNN.com, was named journalist of the year by the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association and a 2011 Online Journalism Award finalist for commentary. He is a senior writer and columnist for ESPN the Magazine and ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter: @locs_n_laughs Watch him on Tuesdays on CNN Newsroom in the 9 am ET hour.

By LZ Granderson, CNN Contributor

(CNN) - I don't trust cops and I don't know many black people who do.

I respect them. I sympathize with them. I am appreciative of the work they do.

But when you've been pulled over for no good reason as many times as I have; when you've been in handcuffs for no good reason as many times as I have; when you run out to buy some allergy medication and upon returning home, find yourself surrounded by four squad cars with flashing lights and all you can think about is how not to get shot, you learn not to trust cops.

Read LZ Granderson's full column

1. Gray

Racism is still very much alive especially in this country and is not passé as a poster mentioned. I agree with the "Really Hurt" poster, some people are making blanket statements, I believe it comes from not really caring; that "it's not really my problem" syndrome, accept for when it hits home; some have become quite complacent. I've had and still experience some form of racial profiling, even at 57. Not all blacks sit around doing nothing with their lives, expecting pity and expecting someone to do the work for them. I not only have a job, I own my own business. Oh, and I might add, I also read as well. You have to look between the lines of the media hype and find the real truth before you begin to judge or make statements. We negate looking at ourselves first; the real problem is between our ears.

April 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Randy

LZ, in my opinion, I don’t think you should put yourself out there as the voice of the black community. Not everyone shares your views. It’s true that many people don’t trust law enforcement, because their own personal experience, or they were “wrongfully accused” or the simply got “caught with their hand in the cookie jar”. That mentality of yours, “Don’t trust the Police”, doesn’t help. How do you expect things to change, if you don’t change yourself? It’s because of those ignorant comments, why people distrust police. And witnesses of crimes don’t come forward, and cases don’t get solved, and the crime rate rises. It’s all connected. And stop calling the Trayvon Martin Case, another case of racial profiling. We are in the 21st century, racism is so passé. We live in a world of “have” and have not”. Stop bringing race or creed into the picture.

March 27, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dduke

Criminals fear the police so there is your answer

March 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. WIZARD

I wouldnt trust a black thing either!

March 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tony Kaye

Why not a story on why white women should not trust black men? Just look at DOJ statistics and read the facts yourself. I, like most, are drained dry about the poor oppressed black race. Quit making excuses, get an education, stay out of trouble, and get job. Have a nice day.

March 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emperor Norton

You being tired of hearing about a problem does not somehow solve the problem.

March 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tony Kaye

You are exactly right, but how do you help people who don't want to help themselves? I repeat...quit making excuses, be a good person, get an education, and get job. If you make a child...be there for them forever. It's a real simple concept.

March 26, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really Hurt

I am an Black woman with a PhD in a biomedical science and who currently works for an esteemed agency in the field of forensics. I say all this to make it clear that a lack of education is not an issue. I have read many of your post and am extremely disturbed and hurt by them. I had always been the only or one of the few minorities in elementary – high school. I had many white friends. is this how they really felt about me? Is this how my current co-workers feel about me? I just don't understand your blanket anger against an entire race of people. I can't judge you by every vile thing don't to me by a Caucasian person. I have never responded to someone's post before but I had to now. I did grow up poor. My grandparents were sharecroppers in South Carolina that moved to Virginia for a better life. They never had more then a third grade education. My grandmother is still alive at 93 and worked until she was 80 as a domestic. My mother married young

March 30, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Really Hurt

Rest added above....

March 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gray

Maybe we should look at the statistics on serial killers and say to the families left behind, oh family, I'm tired of your oppressed stories, your family members where in the wrong place at the wrong time, so get over it, have a nice day! No, we don't. You’re basically saying you don't really care, that's ok, you can, and I respect your opinion, but sometimes we put our mouths in gear before engaging our brain.

April 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |