Opinion: What happened in France could happen anywhere
Gilles Bernheim, Great Rabbi of France (2nd from right), and others march on March 25 in Toulouse, France where three Jewish children and their teacher were killed.
March 28th, 2012

Opinion: What happened in France could happen anywhere

Editor’s Note:  Philip Meissner is a New York based attorney. He also founded JewishSafeHavenFund.org, a group dedicated to protecting Jews from terrorist attack in America and abroad.

By Philip Meissner, Special to CNN

(CNN) – Buenos Aires, Argentina. Mumbai, India. Bangkok, Thailand. And now Toulouse, France.  While we have seen a recent wave of anti-Semitic attacks here in the United States - including the firebombing of a synagogue in Rutherford, New Jersey and cars set on fire in an Orthodox neighborhood of Midwood, Brooklyn - a series of organized terrorist attacks is also being carried out at an ever-accelerating pace against Jews overseas.  One cannot help but wonder if American Jews are safe from the growing threat, either at home, or abroad.

As a young boy of nine-years old, my father miraculously escaped Nazi Germany on Kristallnacht, November 9, 1938. His parents had the foresight to know that they could no longer stay in Berlin.  They first went to Poland to say good-bye to their parents, my great-grandparents, who were tragically convinced that the Nazis in Germany would pass by as just another political party, and that they would be safe in Poland. That was the last time they saw one another. My grandparents left everything behind, and undertook the dangerous journey of traveling by train to Marseille, France.  They thereafter boarded the SS Normandie for its last voyage to New York before the war, which ultimately saved their lives.

Decades later, after establishing their life in the United States, our link to the Holocaust came full circle as my eldest sister married into the Bielski family, whose heroism was recounted recently in the film "Defiance."  The Bielskis did not have either the good fortune, or the inclination to leave Europe during the war.  Following the murder of their parents, the Bielski brothers- Tuvia, Zus and Asael- realized that they would have to save themselves.  They formed the Bielski brigade and provided safe haven to the Jews who joined them.  For almost three years, they fought against the Germans and provided food and shelter to 1,250 Jewish men, women and children in the forests of Western Belorussia.  This was the largest armed rescue of Jews by Jews during the war.

My childhood resonated with the stories my father told me about the Nazi youth attacks, and the other horrors he escaped.  My personal background has taught me that evil exists. Imprinted by the danger experienced by my father, that knowledge is never far from my thoughts.  I often ask myself, will I ever have to experience the fear that gripped my father, and world Jewry, so many years ago?  But I have also heeded my father’s constant lessons that we can withstand our enemies.  Each year, during Passover, my father would read from the Haggadah: “And it is that promise which has been the support of our ancestors and of ourselves, for not only one has risen up to destroy us, but in every generation some have arisen against us to destroy us, but the Most  Holy, blessed be He, always delivered us out of their hands.” Exodus 13:18 says “So God turned the people toward the way of the Wilderness to the Sea of Reeds. The Children of Israel were armed when they went up from the land of Egypt.”

With God’s help they were prepared. I am afraid that the time to prepare is once again upon us.

I know that it is human nature to be complacent, to put blinders on, to hide from troubling and fearful events, and to placate ourselves by going through the motions of our ordinary lives: doing the dishes, going to work, talking with friends, attending weddings, welcoming newborns. However, after 9/11, it is clear that the effects of radical Islam have reached far beyond southern Asia and the Middle East.  If we attempt to ignore this reality, we do so at our peril.  History has well taught us the danger of trying to ignore the threat posed by a violent minority. The power of the violence grows if the majority stands by in silence.  It can be defeated only if the majority stands up together to stop it.

The Jews, once again, are in danger.  I am worried that if we do not confront the present murderous trend, then my daughters 18 and 22 will face an ever-growing threat both here and abroad.  Their dreams of careers in the fashion and TV industries could be interrupted or worse. I believe that we can no longer sit idly by, waiting for the next headline. Just as security is being tightened by our government and local police forces, we must take personal responsibility to meet the looming threat.  Since the terrorists are looking for “soft targets,” it behooves us to prepare to defend ourselves.

That is why I have worked together with Bielski family members to form the Jewish Safe Haven Fund.  In light of recent events, we can no longer close our eyes to the gathering storm.  Instead, we must take prudent steps to meet the threat.  We must raise the funds needed to improve security at Jewish centers, schools and congregations, where Jews gather to learn and pray, not only in America, but around the world, in places like Toulouse,France, Mumbai India, and Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I do not want my daughters to ever be in my father’s position.  We must stand together to confront the present evil, to say “never again.”

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Philip Meissner.

Posted by
Filed under: History • Religion • What we think • Where we live
  1. some guy

increased security may not help that much – the advantage is with the attacker. It seems like the problem is more in how to address the hatred – that is, find a solution that works before a potential attacker is looking for targets. The attacks are likely the sympton – you might be better served to deal with the cause.

March 30, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mickey1313

The thought that the jews have any rights to the nation of isreal is the same backwards argument that some would say, that americans should give the native americans back there land. They lost many wars, we won them, the land is ours. The land of isreal was not jewish untill post ww2. The jews should have legally be expatrated to the nations they came from, but that was not good enough for them, they needed there own nation. So the brits gave them a piece of the land of jorden (which they stole through illigal empirialism). America should not suport a nation that uses terrorism to get its way. We need to stop funding them billions of dollars, that we get zero return on, and let the middle east take care of its own. America is not a world police force, and we should not flip the bill to protect this waste of space nation. And for the record mike, I have noever hurt anyone, BUT I have sat by and watched these terrorists steal my hard earned tax money, money that would make my life much better, I must sacrifice so some 3rd world desert dwellers can have a grand life. I think not.

March 29, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rami Kanzen

Calm down! Your blind hatred and invented lies will give you a heart attack. For starters, Jordan was stolen from what was promised to the Jews in the Balfour declaration. What chance has Israel got in making peace with your people? Zero. Sadly, they will have to keep on fighting you and your brother for generations to come, and all they occupy is hardly 1/660 of the land your people own in the form 22 countries. Learn to live and let live!

March 30, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. ad

boo hoo. The Jews have everything.

They control the government. They get special treatment. and all they do is cry if they are attacked. You are not better than anyone else.

Churches and mosques get vandalized, attacked. But it does not get national attention.

You know in NYC jews have their own ambulances (they must be kosher). They get to choose what hospital even if it is an hour away. and when they get to the ER they are priority over everyone else in the ER even if someone is dying or in more pain in the ER.

Jews are babies. They cry to try to get sympathy. oh the holocaust. how about the blacks who have been discriminated against since the beginning of time and still are in this country. they get killed for their color and no one cares.

March 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

agreed, even if you take the very libral figures the jews give, 6 million in the holicost. That is still a drop in the bucket of total ww2 deaths, like less then 10%, They are whiners.

March 29, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Albro

I guess it's nice that this article was even published, and at the same time it's ironic: at the bottom of this CNN page is "Beyond Trayvon". There is the article "being a black man", and the inescapble blog "Black in America", proving that, while anti-semitic attcks occur all over the world, and right near home, only the tales of that most pampered group are news-worthy.

March 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • William Wilberforce

"the most pampered"? This people work hard sir. Didn't you read that just 2 generations before him they lost everything they had? How many generations have your family been living here? Because you talk like an envious looser? What have you achieved in life?

March 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Albro

Well, for starters, I know how to spell "loser". My family came here in the early 1900's. What's your point?

March 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cardinal Ratzinger

Where did you get that?

March 29, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cardinal Ratzinger

Why doesn't cnn blocks this kind of racist comments it's completely unfair that one can't comment about pervs inclinations to sin whereas racists are not censored.

March 29, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. Democracy100

I am sorry. Although I sympathsize with the hardships that the authors family went through, I do not think this blog is going to have a positive resonance in the world. In the contrary it's going to have backslash as it is going to serve provokative to many people. It certainly does not belong to front story on CNN.

March 29, 2012 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
    • William Wilberforce

My friend you're clearly missing the point, he's talking about protecting lives. Don't forget that they are outnumbered especially in Israel. Here are some numbers. Israel's territory is only about 1/6 of 1 percent that of the o22 hostile Arab nations that are 640times her size and they have 45 times more people than Israel -340 million Arabs vs 7.7 million Israelis (more than a million of whom are themselves Arab ) Also Israel is roughly 2 times the size of Rhode Island .

March 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lisa

Shame on you CNN for publishing these sick hateful comments and shame on these people who wrote them.I am saddened and sickened by what I just read. I can't even fathom that there are people who have such rabid hate in there hearts. It frightens me to think that I live in a world with people who think like this and this is what my children will have to face .

March 29, 2012 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Indian

Please remove Mumbai, India from this blog. What happened in Mumbai were foreign terrorists from Pakistan & US.. yes an American was also involved who is safe in the US and will not face justice in India for his crimes, attacked a Jewish home in Mumbai. India is an 83% Hindu majority country and we have welcomed Jewish refugees who fled from Europe, In fact religious minorities enjoyed many special benefits under the British rule, some of which exist even today. Zorastrians, Christians, Sikhs and to some extent Muslims are the better off financially than Hindus living in India.

March 29, 2012 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

Ah yes, another poor white man whining about how all of his problems are caused by the imaginary monsters lurking under his bed that his daddy warned him about.

Do us all a favor and crawl back in the hole under your trailer, read a book, lay off the moonshine and let those of us with an IQ larger than our shoe size continue to talk.

March 29, 2012 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. krehator

I dont care if someone loves Israel. However, when they choose it over the United States, they need to stop considering themselves an American, and move out. If people are going to be US citizens, and take a pledge, they better stick to it. They cannot have their cake and eat it too.

March 29, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Cardinal Ratzinger

My friend I know Jews and I can tell you that they're faithful citizens of the nations they live in.

March 29, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. krehator

Attacks and discrimination occur against every race and religion on the planet. However, some think they are the only victims, and want to corner the market on political pity.

I get discriminated against all the time, maybe I should file a complaint.

March 29, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mickey1313

1st) Egypt is a far older culture then isreal (jewish) culture.
    2nd) there is zero evidance that there were jews in Egypt before 1500 BCE (long after the pyramids were built)
    3rd) only the jewish bible says differently.
    4th) the bible fails to mention who was in charge of egypt, even though they knew who led babalyon.
    5th) the entire genisis and exidous story is such a poorly writen fable, that it is self evidently false.
    6th) all people who are devoute (to any faith) are so stupid it is a wounder they can put on shoes in the morning, hence the explosion of croc wearers .

March 29, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Steve Ginn

Bob, watch out! Your yarmulke is showing.

March 28, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Weareallindanger

How does an opinion piece like this make the front page of CNN? Is it only Jews that are threatened by extreme islamic radicalism? I'm a Christian, but I certainly feel threatened by the complete disregard for human life that the terrorists represent. Or is it only important for Jews to save Jews? I personally want laws and safety measures that protect everyone from religious terrorists, rather than funds and measures that only protect the people that share my faith. I'm afraid that essays like these do not reflect well on the Jewish people. It makes it appear that they feel that their lives are worth more than others.

March 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Idiot

Unfortunately, being a Jew puts a larger target on one's back than most other religions, ethnicities, etc.

March 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. this is only the beginning, time for aliyah

i am a christian and not Jewish, but any one who understands or even has fully read the Bible would know from both old and new testament that God will never cast away His chosen seed of Abraham. Christ had to die a sacrificial death so we could all be saved so don't blame the Jews, the roman catholic played as big a role. Who did the apostle Paul say he was. God said he would bless those who blessed Israel and cursed those who cursed them. Let God deal with the apple of his eye. He even punished those he used to punish Israel. God has brought them back again from the four wind from whence He scattered them in these last days and more persecution must come to them but who to them that persecute Israel. If you love Jesus you will love his people and even your enemies. for you muslims out there, let's just think for a moment, if the Torah and the Bible that are God's word could have been corrupted, how could there be no way for the coran to be corrupted. it is God that keeps <his word not the sword and slaughter of ishmael

March 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. John

I am so sick of these Jews are victims articles. Of course I feel sympathy for the Jewish families that have been killed. And the holocaust was a once in a millennium violent action against a group of people. But this writer continues to propagate lies:

1. Jews today have the highest average income of any religion (Globally) and the lowest mortality rate (check any source!)
    2. Jewish people kill about 50 times more people than the other way round. Take away the terms terrorist, soldier, army, etc, etc. and just focus on kill. The Jews score very high.
    3. Other people suffer way more from persecution than Jews. Add up all Jewish deaths in the last decade (1000?) and they are not even in the top 100 of ethnic conflicts in the world.

I have all the sympathy for any Jewish families that suffer a loss but I completely get PO'd when someone like Phillip thinks that theirs is a massivel problem. He has no idea how others suffer around the world and tries to get sympathy for the wealthiest ethnic groups in the world. Its amazing, it horrible that he cannot understand the plight of other people that have fatality rates 1000's of times higher. As a Jewish American why dont you pen a few words for the 10,000's of African Americans that die instead of 100 Jews.

March 28, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Idiot

Jews comprise 1% of the world population. Thus, although it appears you may make a point, your 'facts' are in fact skewered.

March 28, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. this is only the beginning, time for aliyah

yes there have been many mass murders, kinds of slavery and persecution but never has one people been persecuted so much throughout history and all the earth. Jews don't kill each other they, stick together, and that is the reason they survive. God is with them and shall protect them from all. Shalom Jerusalem.

March 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Guy

Once again in danger? Please tell me when we wasn´t in danger, stupid articel with a stupid headline, writting by a jew from New York who obviously lives in a bubble, I wonder if the guy have ever heard of Israel. He must have woken up from some kind of coma. I recommend that he does alliya so he can get a reality check.

March 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rock

I've HAD many jewish "friends" in my 60 years. Not ONE of them was a real friend; I'm not jewish. THEY taught me not to trust the them. THEY taught me that THEY are the only right and deserving people and that all others are wrong. THEY taught me how to not like them. THEY taught me that I don't want to be near them in anyway.

I didn't start out dislikeing jews... It was taught to me by JEWS.

March 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I'm guessing you don't have many friends in general.

I've had lots of friends that wear blue shirts. I don't wear blue myself. I got tired of them telling me that they looked good in blue. I didn't start out hating blue shirted people but they MADE me. Now I hate Blues and everyone that wears blue.

It sounds ridiculous because it is. Now I hate Rock thanks to you. But I didn't start out that way...

March 30, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  21. Moshaib

The sons of Moses, I am the great Lord and I will send back Mohamed, the biggest terrorist I will ever send to the earth. Mohammed will bring peace through terrorism and the reward for Mohammed will be nine years old kids. Let there be peace and I am sure Mohammed like killing Jews and he will do this job. Be fearful to the lord and the mosquitos.

March 28, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. The King is Coming

Deuteronomy 4:27
    The LORD will scatter you among the peoples, and only a few of you will survive among the nations to which the LORD will drive you.

"For failing to serve God, you will submit to the enemies that God will send against you. They will come as a far-off nation from the ends of the earth, speaking a language you do not understand and they will besiege you in all of the towns that God gave to you. There will be only a handful of you left. You will be torn from the land which you are entering, and God will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to another." (Dt.28).

"Listen, Israel, to commands that bring life; hear, and learn what knowledge means. Why, Israel, why are you in the country of your enemies, growing older and older in an alien land...? Because you have forsaken the fountain of wisdom. Had you walked in the way of God, you would have lived in peace forever." (Baruch.3:9-13).

Isaiah 11:11-16. Verse 11 reads:
    Then it will happen on that day that the LORD will again recover the second time with His hand the remnant of His people, who will remain, from Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.

March 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • lily

Thats absolutely right........the bible states ......its fact

March 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • whatudeserve

The problem is not with what God wrote. The problem is with what Mohammed the pedophet wrote.

March 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kalki

Anyone who believes this nonsense deserves to be driven to all ends of the earth. Something that was written thousands of years ago does not justify robbing people of their land, putting them into camps and killing them

March 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mickey1313

WHAT... What are you talking about. What war did the muslems try to oust the jews from the ARAB land. Are you talking post ww2, because that is when the jews stole the land, and there were no jews in isreal before ww2, at least not a stastically significant amount.

March 29, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. Saleh

For your info, throughout history, Jews killed most of their prophets, and tortured the rest. God's Curse was inflicted on them because of their actions. Modern day Jews are no drastically different from their wicked ancestors, with few exceptions. Who's you think behind the Wall Street and the Global financial crises ???

March 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • lily

true saleh

March 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Saleh

You are making me laugh? you must be either drunk or insane. Islam will never ever be defeated. It is God's religion, so it is God's Will and Care that protect it and its followers. Get a life, do yourself a favour and study Islam.

March 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

Wake up to yourself, mate! RELIGION is a worldwide disaster, period. It is the cause of more wars, death and misery than any other reason. None of us are any better than any one else just because some of you have been brain washed into blindly following one religion or another.

March 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. stan

"cars set on fire in an Orthodox neighborhood of Midwood, Brooklyn"

good try, but That was actually an insurance scam by a couple of jews

March 28, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Doctor

Again, no one asks why Jews are targeted. Just the question attracts accusations of antisemitism from all sides. We have NO right to understand, and MUST ignore why Jews are disliked all over the world.

March 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Andrew

there's nut jobs all over the world who will attack any of many groups. blacks, latinos, gays and lesbians, the list goes on and on. what happened in France is very sad, but to try and construe this as the second coming of Nazism is ridiculous.

March 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. dsds

Zionist media has succeeded in making the people believe that they were only "victims" of Hitlers' crimes

but their media never mentioned how they and their Allies power had committed more crimes against humanity to other people in that same time that is not different to what the Axis had done. ( Only in Algeria 1 million Algerian was killed because the ALLIES were occupying their country and stealing it's resources, the Allies had been killing thousands of hundreds in each country they had occupied in that time, and since the people who were killed were not "Europeans" they were never mentioned in the media

March 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lin99

what !?! zionists are going to use the old excuse to cover their crimes they have been committing in Palestine since the beginning of the 20th century , that they are what ?? being discriminated ? being persecuted ? please see what you are doing to other people in the first place

March 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

Won't happen. If they were to do that, then they would have to find something else to whine about. With "antisemetism" they are on a winner!

March 28, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Cinic

Israel and Jews are not special. Not less not more.
    China, African-Americans, Palestine and many countries in Africa etc. are discriminated and there is not nearly as much complaining.
    But... Israel is the only powerful nation whining.

March 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lizr

or until Israel starts behaving in a civilized fashion.

March 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

Not like that is going to happen any time soon.

March 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dany

I´ve been reading all those comments above, and that leads to one simple and obvious conclusion:
    Unfortunately, still there is too much antisemitism, hypocrisy and a profound ignorance in our world !

March 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. lizr

it is so very sad that the Jews perpetuate their own fears and feed the cycle of fear by behaving in a dehumanized fashion towards the Palestinians.

the best security for the Jews would be to work something out w the Palestinians and stop the Settlements and the barbaric treatment, which mimics the Nazis in the early stages. SHAME ON ISRAEL for electing these belligerent leaders and not LEARNING THE LESSONS of the Holocaust.

We all suffer worldwide because of their recalcitrance.

March 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

Absolutely CORRECT! But will they ever work that out for themselves? Doubtful.

March 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mickey1313

no they wont, because thiests cant see the forest for the trees, they are fully incapible of learning, thinking, or doing the right thing.

March 29, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  34. ram

Unfortunately, they are swimming in oil and buying the souls of the greedy and inherent Jew-haters with the proceeds. Until 1948 the Jew was at the mercy of the heartless anti-Semites. Thankfully, today Israel can and will shelter him.

March 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

What unadulterated religious claptrap!

March 28, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ram

Could their victimhood be because of hateful people like you? For sure!

March 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

Now Ram is pulling out the old self pity, "victim" argument! What about the victims of Israeli policies like illegal detention, piracy in international waters, use of cluster bombs and flechettes, theft of Pestinians private land and houses, denying medical assistance, etc., etc.? Don't these issues fit with your self serving, woe is me, I'm being victimised, antisemetic fairy tale?

March 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. headache

The attacker also killed Arabs not just jews.......sigh

March 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Godstar

Yes, it's not like Jews are any more a target than anyone else in this world. There is always someone who hates someone else and is willing to go to extremes to do them harm. It's as if the author thought Jews before that incident were safe or safer, and then suddenly this incident changed everything. Are they really that naive?

March 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

I have heard over and over that Israel is going to attack Iran, does that seem like a solution of a peace loving people,
        Or perhaps they felt that boarding ships in international water was a peaceful solution and would endear them to the Arab world. I feel that the Jews all over the world should stop wondering why they are disliked when their home country was stolen back for them by the United Nations and the People who lived there got the shaft.

March 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mickey1313

ya, 1000 people could be killed, but if 1 of them happened to be jewish, then it is an anti-semitic attack. The zionist media is sicking. The thiestic (jewish) hold on the media must end. We the secular need to see past the lies of thiesm and ignore these people, let them slaughter eachother, and we can pick up the pieces.

March 29, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  37. Truth

I feel very sad for those poor children who were murdered in cold blood in France by a Religious fanatic. I cant understand why Right wing Israeli supporters can't feel the same for the Palestinian children the IDF kills every year. I guess Israel is too busy playing the victim card in order to justify killing 1500 people and destroying hundreds of homes. Radical Orthodox Jews in Israel and the IDF who hate Hitler so much are using his tactics and dehumanizing the Palestinians.

March 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Keep up with the sick lies! Do you even care about the Toulouse victims? I bet you don't !

March 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Godstar

I do think the big difference is that it happened in the civilized nation of France, where supposedly this sort of racial violence doesn't happen. However, there is a small divide in Israel over it's handling of Palestine, and not everyone of that community nor worldwide should be punished for the actions of a few. I do think their current position though does inspire a lot of animosity and thus a lot of violence because of it.

March 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Richard

Very regrettably, the author of the article is correct. In every generation there is an attempt to murder people of the Jewish faith. The Inquisition in Spain and other countries, the pograms in Czarist Russia, the Dreyfus Affair in France (that led to the first Zionist Conference), and, of course The Holocaust where six million Jews were killed. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance, and we must be especially vigilant in these times. Having had the honor of serving as a U.S. Army officer for three years means nothing for people intent on killing all Jews.

March 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Brad Costello

Maybe if you where a bit nicer to the world and stopped abusing the pals. You would not have such bad Karma.

March 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mike

Its actually far more dangerous to be a Palestinian than to be a Jew. Israelis have killed 1,477 Palestinian children since September 2000. During that time, 126 Israeli kids have been killed by Palestinians.

March 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • JS

What are you complaining about... look what happens in South Africa... what does the international community say about that? Nothing!

March 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Arpad

Zionism is the source of the hate agains jews. Jews should have to destroy zionism, if they want peace on the earth. Like nazism cause a lot of pain for the germans, zionism will do the same pain for the jews, if they don't step in time.

March 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Sure! And we should rout for Islam, the religion of pure peace and whose followers are the perfect embodiment oof goodness ;-).

March 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

Damned right, fella. But they refuse to see the facts.

March 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  42. observer

I am tired of hearing about the Jewish Holocaust. 6 million Jews died, it is a terrible tragedy. But over 80 million died in that war, how come we never hear about the others. Hate crimes happen all over the world.

March 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jennifer

Just follow the commandments of Abba Father. Bind them to your heart. He will never allow anything to happen to you. My Jesus loves you all.

March 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. hannah Batchelor

why oh why,such violence ,we are all the same,our energy and work should be to help bring food,shelter comfort and love to the whole wide world
    we live in a pompous society,the haves first priority should be to help the underprivileged,all deserve equal rights

March 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Amen!

March 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • ram

What have they done to you exactly? Will you specify?

March 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bran Rambler

I say to heck with the jews! they are just awful

March 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • zaksam

why ?

March 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |

ram
      What have they done to you exactly? Will you specify?

March 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |

March 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • lizr

what has the battle between the Israelis and the Palestinians done to me? only the same thing it has done to every American.. caused me to be identified with Israel's outrageous policies, which then endangers my life when I travel and at home. See 9-11 for details.
        You may be aware that much of the hostility in the Arab world, madrassas, AQ, OBL etc. is whipped up against ALL AMERICANS because Israel cannot or will not make peace,and infact exacerbates the situation daily. Rachel Corrie you may want to google, as well as tons of youtubes that illustrate this vividly.

March 28, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Lizr: You are either totally brainwashed or completely ignorant! Using the example of 9-11 as per your post is nothing short of moronic. Israel has bending backwards for over 60 years trying to make peace will all the Arabs. Since even before the creation of Israel they were prepared to divide the land that is rightfully the Jewish homeland but the Arabs insisted on destroying the Jews with their failed wars. How about you check out the historical facts?

March 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bortus

Er... why is it the land that "rightfully" belongs to the Jewish people?

March 28, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alison

Ram have you ever stopped to think that perhaps you are the one who is brainwashed and ignorant? Since the advent of the internet there is no excuse for your ignorance anymore and as more people are researching the topic for themselves instead of believing what the media of their country chooses to tell them. I suggest you do some research of your own and find out the truth of the matter.

March 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Ginn

Where is your proof that the Jews OWN Palestine? A fairy tale is not really PROOF!

March 28, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. History Repeats Itself

And they should be!

March 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  47. yusakhar

"It could happen anywhere"? To be more exact, it could happen anywhere that there are radicalized Muslims, Islamists. To say simply "anywhere" is to ignore the background of the shooter and of the milieu in which he was born and grew up, not to mention the feckless Political Correctness of Europe (and increasingly also the US) that is afraid to call a spade a spade. The brutal truth is that there is virtually no terrorism anywhere on the globe that is not perpetrated by Islamists.

March 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

You are wrong! Only 99.999% of world terrorism is committed by muslims.

March 28, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • lizr

only if you dont count STATE TERRORISM committed by Israel.

March 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • wjshelton

Ram, check out Europol's report on terrorism published in 2011. You would find that your statistics are, shall we say - just to be polite, somewhat less than accurate. In fact, sir, they are NOWHERE NEAR what you claim.

March 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. coder

First the jewish people need to prove there is a god – before they can claim they are the chosen ones
    Second they are more instigators than victims

They could have had peace decades ago – but they are too stubborn to compromise

March 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

The only way the Jews could have had peace with those who have tried to destroy them is to be destroyed

March 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rory

Peace with whom? What have you been smoking?

March 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armand

Not soft targets anymore. Many of us have served in the military and know how to take both defensive and offensive actions against those who seek to harm our people

March 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeVinci

Yep, those 5 year old murder victims sure did instigate their own death...

March 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Make peace with irrational hate filled people who only seek their destruction? They have been trying that since 1948!

March 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Aaron

Seems there are so many ignorant people in this world. They need to realize the problem isn't with Judaism but with Zionism. Don't forget which country gave the Zionists the weapons to carry out their big land grab. Good ol USA.

March 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Zionism is the idea that the Jews should have a place to live in peace and security. The problem is that some people have a problem with that.

March 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • René

"ZIONISM IS THE IDEA THAT THE JEWS SHOULD HAVE A PLACE TO LEAVE IN PEACE" ...you said...No problem with that....but the problem is why do you have to steal the land of the Palestinians and expell them ?

March 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

You may have fooled the world at large with the idea that there are people of Arab origin called "Palestinians" , but history will show them to be a fake people who never existed until 1967. The true Palestinians were Jews originally know as the Israelites. One day this revision will come to be fully exposed!

March 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alison

The first written record of Palestine is dated to 502BC by the Greek historian Herodatus.

March 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mickey1313

Palistine existed thousands of years before Judea was founded, you have it backwards the jews are arabs, who hate islam. Semite refers to anyone born in that regon, arabs are semitic peoples as well.

March 29, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  50. robertbronett

suhail it is a shame that you are so full of hate and resentment. The red cloth that you let radical islamists wave in front of your eyes is preventing you to understand the message of peace and respect. The horrors of the Nazi Era is all around us and Jews as well as moderate muslims are threatened by sly, cynical leaders who use the ignorance of their followers and twisted and distorted quotes from the holy books to wreak havoc and thereby gain power and influence for themselves. Stop listening to them and a just peace for ALL will come, nurture your hate and ignorance and only more suffering and violence will follow.

March 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • FactorX

Muslims are not out there to kill jews..... that is very flawed thinking... they just are against the zi0nist idea and they want to get rid of zi0nism.

Also not every muslim is that way.... I, being a muslim, am very fond of jews and their religion, judaism, i respect them as long as they respect me. So only extremists want to kill .... not the millions of muslim families who only want peace..

March 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • midad112

I second that

March 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • ram

Zionism is about the adherence to Judaism. So what are you on about? cut the excuses that feed your hate!

March 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • wjshelton

No, Ram, Zionism is a political and cultural movement that has nothing to do with religious values. It is opposed by significant numbers of Jews who see it as a deturpation of Jewish religious values. You seem to have a problem with facts, Ram. You could argue your case more convincingly if you stuck to the truth.

March 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. moon god

Muslims pogroms on Jews began long before Israel was founded.
    In fact, Palestinian highest religious leader during wartime, Amin al Hussaini, was a Hitler's ally whose contribution to the holocaust was so great even Hitler admired him.
    So this has nothing to do with Palestine. Extermination of infidels, in particular the jews has always been on islam's agenda since the days of mohammad.

March 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Conveniently, they ignore this fact.

March 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. karbv

there is no such thing as palestinians , they come from Jordan and Egypt but their own countries do not want them because they are trouble makers, they are the 8th most obese people in the world, they elected a terrorist organization to lead them, they are lucky the israelis dont completely wipe these lazy good for nothing out.

March 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

I don't think there was one true statement in your entire comment.

March 28, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Ginn

There are no such things as Israelis. They just turned up from all over Europe and took over Palestine. They would be the most hated people in the world because they treat everone else as inferior to themselves.

March 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Robert

What if Israel were to say allow the people they displaced to have a country of their own. Israelis seem to think they deserve one but palestinians don't. What a bunch of hypocrites.

March 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oren

For the one hundredth time – Israel has offered the Palestinians a state of their own, on more than one occasion – they have always declined! Right now, as we speak, the Palestinian elected official are reluctant to even sit and negotiate with the Israeli representatives.
      But even if that were not the case – how can Jewish children in France be held accountable for the actions of the Israeli government? They who justify hatred of Jews under the guise of anti-Zionism are nothing but terrorist sympathizers.

March 28, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

What if. . .? We don't have to guess. Israel has said this. What has been the result? The Palestinians have consistently decided against having a state of their own if that would mean living in peace with Israel.

March 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  54. suhail

Mr. Author the present evil is jews themselves.this will stop when jews will stop killing muslims in palestine and elsewhere.the biggest prison in the world is palestine.americans fought and still fighting israel's wars all over the world. but jews never grateful for american sacrifices.

March 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trixie Betts

As the sister, daughter and granddaughter of Jewish American soldiers serving in the US Army and Air Force, as well as the friend of several Jewish soldiers KIA, I am deeply offended by your comment. The fact that you think that Jews haven't made their own American sacrifice proves your ignorance. The fact that you so absolutely discount their actions is disgraceful.

March 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

1. Israel will atop attacking and killing Muslims when Muslims stop trying to destroy them.
      2. America has never fought a war for Israel.

March 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mickey1313

1) we alowed a false flag op against the USS Liberty, alowing the jews to attack it, and make it look like egypt did it, they failed when russia caught it on tape, so americans died, but no war. So we just dump 12 billion on isreal and egypt to prevent constant war. We need to let egypt iran and isreal have it out. See which sky god is on which dust bins side.

March 29, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  55. government cheese

Look at Obama being the instigator. Funny thing is that Jews voted for him.

March 28, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

the jews voted obama because McCain is an evil monster. He wants to keep POW files sealed so that the government cannot get in trouble for leaving them behind. That and if you could read his pow acounts, you would know he sold his own men out to get free. He was and is a monster, just like every single gop politician in the past 100 years.

March 29, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |