March 30th, 2012

Julian Bond: Gay rights are civil rights

Julian Bond, former chairman for the NAACP, said gay and lesbian rights are an extension of the civil rights movement, and civil rights should belong to all Americans. He said he knows his point of view isn't popular among all African-Americans, some of whom are offended when gay rights are compared to the civil rights movement.

“They’ve adopted our songs, we ought to be happy," he said. "They’ve adopted our slogans, we ought to be happy and they’ve adopted the way in which we’ve gone about it in a non-violent way, we ought to be proud of that.”

Bond has received criticism in the past for being vocal about his support for gay and lesbian rights, but said he was eager to play whatever part he could.

"If these people are helping me, can I help them, should I help them?” he said.

1. Trent

yes, they have thoseb"rights" and why they are getting married in every state...doh

April 20, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brian Seamus

Some of the bigoted, small minded and hurtful rambles on this thread are unbelievable! Judge lest ye be judged all you bible beaters...be careful, hell yawns before you hateful bozos!

April 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. umama

Don't u worry 007-BOND, U are going to meet your maker very soon and then you can explain your senility. Even Martin Luther King Jr. will deny you. Believe what u want, but do not miss guide the innocent children.

April 7, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • sam stone

yeah, nothing like misleading the children. perhaps you should be telling this to all vomiting up scripture on this topic

April 7, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. madamelaverite

Civil rights is a human rights issue and gay rights is a human rights issue, therefore gay rights is a civil rights issue. Being a person of color cannot be changed and neither can one's sexual orientation.

April 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trent

Not really. "Civil" Rights are "rights' pass by law via legislation.

April 18, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. lowell

unbelievable and sad

April 5, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Hmmmm?!

I support what he's saying but I couldn't help but notice that he said "these people" in reference to gays. If a white person had said "these people" in reference to....oh you can finish my sentence.

April 5, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. WDinDallas

How about Redneck rights?

April 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JFritz

Good to see this very smart man in the public eye again.
    Human rights are those belonging to humans, by virtue of the fact that they were "born that way," whatever "that way" is. I

April 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock

So agreed.

April 5, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. dorothy

The guy who authored DOMA is on his third wife......I guess he mean marriage is between one man and one woman at a time.

April 4, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. dorothy

Not supporting gay rights is just stupid.

April 4, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alena

You guys suck! They deserve to have the same rights as anyone else. Yea I get it it's not "normal" but doesn't mean you need to be mean about it. Gay couples fall in love as any other couple. I support them and yea I'm straight I read the bible, I get it. If you don't know anything about gays or aren't even friends with some. You shouldn't even be talking. The rude things you say about those people are not right at all.

April 3, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Arthur Lee.

It's interesting how the majority tell us minorities how to run our lives. Is it really important to force us how we should run our personal, private, lives., With the beliefs of others forcing us to live our lives according to them?

April 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arthur Lee.

I thought that our lives are our own!

April 3, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Guest

Ho.mo_s.e.x.uality is being pushed as normal behavior even though the Bible, common sense, medical science and nature testifies that the practice is unhealthy and that this practice is abominable. The per_verts not only want their lifestyles to be tolerated by society they now have become obsessed with brainwashing and bullying society into accepting their per-ver.ted views as being normal. Some think letting them out of the closet was good for society but the name on that closet was Pandora's box. Their unhygienic and promiscuous s3x practices are now helping to spread deadly diseases all over the world.

April 3, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

abominable to bigots

April 7, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jose

You may want to also quote that the Bible teaches us to love thy neighbor......your word calling is hurtful and Un-Christian like and not what Jesus would do.

April 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. William Wilberforce

What a sad old men you are Julian.

April 3, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • TERRORBITE

I concur, William! I beg to differ with you MR. BOND, I feel strongly and deeply that gay right are NOT civil rights! It is mindsets like his that inable the gay population to think that the choice THEY have made is OK! If the creator of this universe intended for man to be with man, women to be with women HE never would have created everything in the universe to have its equal opposite. Do you homework! This is not rocket science! DON'T YOU GET IT!

April 3, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
      • rick

at which age did you make the choice about your orientation?

April 7, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • ogre12

he leads many astray from GOD Almighty I believe. I hope he figures this out before he is called before HIM on that last day. It is between him and HIM..I do not judge, but I have a feeling where I believe this is leading for him..I pray not.

April 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Numyorangay

Boy are you delusional. You actually believe that anyone will stand in front of some of bearded man who we were all taught to believe was white and had cursed the darker races? You actually believe that this "belief" is going to Judge Mr. Bond? Well, I hope the first thing he tells Sir Julian is what a fine mofo he has always been and gives him a soul clasp and then finds his way to your home to smite you for your ignorance.

April 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • rick

speaking for god, are ya?

April 7, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • WoWT

Religion has no place in this discussion or topic. Religion applies only onto the individual and not onto others.

April 4, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
    • sam stone

What a sad little bigot you are, Billy Boy, hiding your hatred behing Iron Age comic books

April 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

sad old man, billy boy? because he doesn't share your bigotry? your screen name indicates that of a christian, but your words belie a bigot hiding behind a book. jeebus would be proud

April 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • margie

For any person that says anything negative about that man should be ashamed of themselves. I was in the movement at a time when people were risking their live for equality. You have no idea what him and many others like him went thru. If anybody would understand what "Civil Rights" means it would be him

April 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Stephen

They are the ones with the swords that will say anything for the territory that will be missing all the indians.

April 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. skip

@s. lutz

when the moral majority in this country stop shoving "their rights" down my throat, I'll stop shoving "gay rights" down yours.

April 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trent

Gotta have them to shove them..doh!

April 5, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • rick

they have them as citizens. d'oh!

April 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jaxxy21

Whoever would have thought oppression could be a minority hand-me-down? The African Americans that dont believe in equal rights for all are a disgrace to the human race.

April 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. S. Lutz

Why do we have to have this "gay rights" thing shoved down our throats. Gays should be allowed to live in peace like everyone else. But should they be able to marry? Personally I don't think so. Marriage is for a man and a woman for the protection of children in that union. If one is gay, so be it! But leave the marriage and kids out of it. Please.

April 2, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • jaxxy21

You may find this strange but babies truly planned for and dreamed of are babies born to gay couples,,, no babies born by accident! No unwanted pregnancies. Every single baby born to a gay man or a lesbian was wanted. Best is when gay couples adopt all your straight-based unwanted children. How small-minded of you to think marriage is only for men and women. With your 51% failure rate wouldnt it be nice to have loving couples join the marriage club?

I am a gay woman and have raised two amazing straight daughters who would love to sit down with you and describe their loving family home.

April 2, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • TERRORBITE

No amount of statistics coming from you or anybody in this universe will justify the sick choice you have made, not to mention bring childeren into the mix. It is just plan SICK!!!!!!!!! Childeren have a hard enough time just trying to understand the sick world we live in today without the added sickness GAYS bring to it!

April 3, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
      • sam stone

"No amount of statistics coming from you or anybody in this universe will justify the sick choice you have made, not to mention bring childeren into the mix. It is just plan SICK!!!!!!!!!"

This, children is the blatherings of a bigot.

April 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ozymandias71

*yawn* It's no surprise that your post contradicts itself at least once.

April 3, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • JesusFreaks

If marriage is solely for the purpose of reproduction, then logically speaking, a person who cannot reproduce shouldn't be afforded the right to marry? That is a very intelligent argument you make.

April 3, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Shell

I agree with you! I live in an area in which there is tons of domestic violence, and 99% of the time, it is from "traditional" couples. And then have children that are watching this. I am a lesbian and I do not "shove" my ideas in everybodys face. But maybe I should because I would never beat my wife, or steer my children in a bad direction. I did not choose to be gay, it's just who I am. I also am an American and very proud of the fact, what I am not proud of is that this country is still full of hate.

April 3, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Klaire

So by your logic, I should not be allowed to marry the man I love because I am sterile?

April 3, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam stone

S. Lutz....in that case, take it's licensing out of the hands of government. Your church can discriminate as they wish.

April 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fernace

I had the honor of meeting Julian Bond many decades ago, when he was the mayor of Atlanta! I was impressed w/his sane approach to civil rights, which is that it is Guaranteed to us all via the Co.nsti.tution! Any "law" that attempts to say otherwise is in dierct co.nflict! I totally agree! All laws being floated by "dissenters" are moot, non-valid & need to stop! I think the nation needs to have a discussion about this topic, some sort of educational campaign.....aimed at adults, because All the kids I know are so way beyond their parents on this issue! I have Hope for the future!!

March 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • icunme

Bravo – my feeling exacly!

April 1, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • icunme

Sicko

April 1, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
      • icunme

Excuse – this is @ John Ross

April 1, 2012 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
      • rick

because he disagrees with you?

April 7, 2012 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
      • Masuru

His hairstyle and tneglh of hair on video of interview and at the time he got passport is the same. So is his dress, same shirt, same necktie. I would guess the video was made on the same day.

April 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not Disclosed

...how stupid.

April 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. John Ross

Julian Bond won't be happy until America is living under an African despot style of government where special privileges accrue to a few favorites (Blacks – not gays, he is just using you guys for political assistance) and whites live under sub-citizen rules. Julian Bond = head of the black kkk...Julian Bond = Malcolm Hitler....Julian Bond = Kony on the other side. Racist of a different color...but still a giant racist.

March 31, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Browardcountyboy

Touch of paranoia, eh?

April 2, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  21. Arthur Lee.

I don't think the government or some people want freedom for all but perfective control!

March 31, 2012 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Arthur Lee.

Freedom is not something some people want for all, It's because they have no other choice but to allow it.

March 31, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Arthur Lee.

We feel free to do what we like for ourselves but we rarely extend that for others.

March 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Hammer

Oh! I really care what he has to say.He has made a believer out me. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaxxy21

MC! It's been so long since you've had a hit!! Are you sulking?

April 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • tbucch

Most EPIC response of the day! Bravo!

April 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |