April 4th, 2012

Polo players from 'the bottom'

Editor's Note: This is the first of two pieces about Philadelphia's Work to Ride program.  The second will post on CNN's In America blog tomorrow.

See an earlier story about polo players from Philadelphia's inner-city who are breathing new life into one of the oldest sports.

By Sarah Hoye, CNN

Charlottesville, Virginia (CNN) – Brothers Kareem and Daymar Rosser are riding high in world of polo.

Growing up, the brothers feared the streets in the West Philadelphia neighborhood known as “the bottom.”

It was almost a decade ago when they first stumbled upon a former mounted police stable in the heart of Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park being used by a group of kids now making headlines.

There they met Lezlie Hiner who offered the boys - then in middle school - a chance to ride horses in exchange for working in the barn through her non-profit, Work To Ride.

They haven’t looked back since.

1. Nano

Hello, horsegals Looking for a duhsebodry to ride with in the area. I am a young 57 yr old, have had horses for (ugh!OMG!) 45 wonderful years, previous 4-Her as a kid, 4-H leader in OR and Colorado, and have a 5 yr black Morgan gelding that needs a lot of miles. We just built our new home and barn in Prineville, and now that I finally have him at home, I can ride whenever I get a chance (weekends and evenings)after work. My husband loves horses, but we only have one for now (living cautiously)and so I don't feel real comfortable riding alone I have a good trailer, so I can go wherever. We also have a spare stall if someone needs an overnight spot. Just let me know if anyone is interested. I love this website, I just found it! Hope to meet several new friends Regards,Debbie

April 17, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. JB

Congratulations to the team. I watched 60 minutes online earlier in the evening and I saw Kareem Rosser talking about the difference that polo has made to his life. That is terrific – wish him and all the other players the best in achieving their dreams. I hope 60 minutes or some other show does a longer segment on the program and these kids – I'm sure many people would have enjoyed seeing more of it.

April 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BD76

I used to live in West Philly and it always sadden me when I rode the trolley and the kids were bragging about their time in jail or about their baby daddy (their phrasing, not mine). There was no incenetive for the kids to make something of themselves and do more. This seems like a great program, and something that is very much needed in the area.

April 5, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. A

LOVE IT! As a horse owner myself, I know how much horses enrich my life. Horses really do have the power to heal and grow the people in their lives. Good for these boys!

April 5, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. brio

Virtually every street in Philadelphia is a mean street. Bess them.

April 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillygrrl

I grew up in Philly and that couldn't be further from the truth. Rough neighborhoods like any other city, yes, but Philly is a terrific city to live in or even just to visit.

April 5, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. larry5

Riding a horse and playing polo. And people said money can't buy happiness.

April 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ma & pa

This almost brought joyous tears to our eyes. The communication between human and horse that is built on trust based on truth works almost miracles for both of them, sometims. This is a hope-giving, life-building reality. Helping to support this would be good. A good child-of-any-age looking for out-of-city might like the freedom of where-we-are.

April 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |