Opinion: My hijab is my hoodie
Trayvon Martin, left, and Shaima Alawadi, were both killed recently.
April 5th, 2012

Opinion: My hijab is my hoodie

Editor’s note: Linda Sarsour is national advocacy director of the National Network for Arab American Communities and director of the Arab American Association of New York. Follow her on Twitter.

By Linda Sarsour, Special to CNN

(CNN) – I’ve been among the millions mourning the killing of Trayvon Martin, but I’m also mourning the fact that another recent killing has gotten little national attention.

Last week, a 32-year old Iraqi Muslim mother named Shaima Alawadi was found brutally beaten with a tire iron in her El Cajon, California, home and died three days later. A note reportedly left beside her said, “Go Back to your country, you terrorist.”

As an Arab-American Muslim mother of three, I instantly thought about myself and my family.

Alawadi's death put a mirror up to my face. I am 32, I wear a headscarf, like Alawadi did, and I live during one of the most hostile moments that the Muslim American community has ever experienced, especially in the decade since 9/11.

Blacks in America continue to face racism on a daily basis, from the workplace to interactions with law enforcement. And yet racism against African-Americans is publicly acknowledged as unacceptable.

Read the full post on CNN's Belief blog

1. M.B.Khamenei

Dear Linda - Are we not being hypocritical here? Neither the death of Martin or Alawadi can be classified as hate crimes yet. But you already have grabbed the high ground of "victimhood"?

But when Islamics commit murder against innocents such as in Libya, neither you nor the rest of the Islamics have anything to say about such bigotry.

Your bigotry is well on display. And I am a Muslim, but not an Islamic. I don't pray to a warlord paedophile prophet. And I don't go all sanctimonious crying victimhood and revenge when someone may suggest that the Quran may not be perfect beyond any doubt.

I think you and this article are a disservice to all intelligent Muslims in America.

September 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Habib Hijab Habib

hello, no, yes, hello

June 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raceisamyth

Wear a hijab if you choose to do so. But do not ever expect me to wear one.

April 26, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. raceisamyth

You mean the hoodie that the gansta community stole from the black, brown, white, and asian skateboarders of the late 80's? The ganstas already stole big pants from us and stole hip hop from poor people of all colors in NYC

April 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Luke

Hitler's Nazi party has defined the swastika as a symbol of hate. They didn't invent the symbol, its been around for centuries. However, now if you wear it around everyday, sooner or later you are going to get hurt. Even if you don't identify with the Nazi party. Maybe you just like the symbol based on some ancient philosophy. Its not gonna fly because it is now defined as a symbol of hatr

April 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jason

People in America still remember the images of masked men executing its citizens and soldiers in the most brutal way. It is unfortunate that many associate the hijab with the images of those terrorists.

I suggest that you take ot off. After all this is America. You wont be beaten for NOT WEARING IT, like in your old country.

So just like the blacks with hoodies, you all look alike.

If some noble organization adopted the white hood, it would ne very difficult for most people to accept because of its association with a racist group.

April 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |