Same-sex couples in North Carolina prepare for marriage vote
Kelli Evans and Karen Wade were photographed with their triplets for Commitment NC.
April 11th, 2012

Same-sex couples in North Carolina prepare for marriage vote

Editor's note: See more images from Justin Cook's Commitment NC project on CNN Photos.

By Stephanie Siek, CNN

(CNN) – Despite long-term relationships, shared children and steadfastness to each other in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, same-sex couples like Heather McIver and Suzanne Lowe, Kelli Evans and Karen Wade, and J. Wesley Thompson and Trey Owen know that their commitments could be invalidated with enough ballots. They live in North Carolina, which will be conducting a referendum on gay marriage next month.

On May 8, voters in North Carolina will head to the polls to vote on Amendment 1, a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would define "marriage between one man and one woman" as "the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized." According to same-sex marriage advocacy group Marriage Equality, North Carolina is one of 20 states that are considering whether to allow or ban same-sex relationships. Twenty-one states recognize some form of same-sex relationships, either as marriage, civil union or domestic partnership. Thirty states ban same-sex marriage by law, constitutional amendment or both.

Each of the above couples participated in Commitment NC , a documentary photo project that aims to show the faces of the families that would be affected by passage of Amendment 1. It’s the brainchild of Justin Cook, an independent photographer based in Durham, North Carolina, who says he wanted to show the "real love and real lives" of gay and lesbian couples. Commitment NC has also grown to include images and stories from a similar project, Love for All, by another group of photographers capturing the lives of unmarried couples, gay and straight.

Same-sex marriage in North Carolina is already banned under existing legislation, but supporters of the amendment say it's needed to protect the ban from "activist judges" who might overturn it. Conservative Christian groups are among the amendment's most fervent supporters.

Opponents of the amendment say that it would enshrine discrimination against gays and lesbians into the constitution, and would also hurt male-female couples who are committed, but have chosen not to marry. Among those opposed to Amendment 1 are members of the business community, who say that it could keep companies and talent from settling in the state.

Legal experts say that the amendment would also impact the prosecution of domestic violence charges between unmarried partners, and the child custody rights of non-biological parents of any sexual orientation in the event of divorce or death of one partner.

So far, Cook has photographed 20 same-sex couples in long-term committed relationships, and plans to do several more.

Heather McIver and her partner Suzanne Lowe were photographed in front of their church, a white clapboard building in rural North Carolina that is home to the Spring Friends Meeting, a Quaker fellowship. McIver and Lowe have been together since 1993, and they are raising two daughters, 7-year-old Annika and 3-year-old Celie.

For McIver, commitment means "that we have a direction we’re moving in that we still agree on. We share our values enough that we strive to fulfill those values." Those values are shared by the other members of their meeting, who, unbidden, voted to pass a resolution opposing Amendment 1.

McIver said her biggest worries are about how passage of the Amendment would affect her family at its most vulnerable points. They're scenarios prefaced with the words "God forbid" – one partner’s lack of legal ability to make decisions on behalf of the other in the event of death or incapacitation, the loss of the health insurance coverage she has through her domestic partnership with Lowe, a challenge mounted to Lowe’s custody rights because she is a parent of Annika and Celie by adoption and not by biology, like McIver.

Kelli Evans and her partner of 17 years, Karen Wade, have similar concerns about Amendment 1’s potential impact on their family – which includes 3-year-old triplets.

"It could destroy our family unit. That was one of the major reasons we wanted to be a part of (Commitment NC)," Evans said. "I think it's very important to educate people and get them away from the gay marriage issue. If they could see that it's a family they’re affecting, maybe they could sit down and think about the issue before they vote on Election Day."

Evans maintains that the main difference between her family and any other is that hers includes very active triplets – not that she is in a same-sex relationship.

"It's two loving adults that have been together for so long," Evans said. "We decided we wanted to expand the love and bring children into the picture. One of us gets up and goes to work, the other stays with the kids. We bicker about ridiculous things. We’re a family. I'm not knocking on your door trying to destroy your family, so why are you trying to destroy mine?"

J. Wesley Thompson and Trey Owen have weathered intense storms throughout their 25-year relationship, including Owen’s battle with an aggressive and usually fatal form of leukemia. They were married in Canada in 2006, 20 years to the day and hour that they met.

Thompson and Owen say that participating in the project has given them a chance to be positive role models for gay and lesbian young people, showing what a loving, committed relationship can look like.

Owen said it especially bothers him that the pro-Amendment 1 effort is being backed by so many fellow Christians. Owen grew up in a conservative Christian church, and he and Thompson now belong to an Episcopalian church.

"Most gay people I know turn to religion for help, and most of what they find is hate and rejection," Owen said. "Jesus mentioned divorce many times, and never said anything about same sex couples.  If the greatest commandment is to love, the church has fallen so short. That's my biggest challenge, accepting that in my heart without me becoming even more angry than I already am about it.  The greatest benefit is the hope that we might be doing something that helps change things a little bit for the better."

Posted by
Filed under: Community • Family • Politics • Relationships • Religion • Sexual orientation • What we think
  1. Trey

In light of what happened in North Carolina with Amendment One yesterday, and President Obama's decision today to fully support equality for gay people, this quote below comes to mind. It's my personal philosophy, and, I think, great advice to live by, regardless of your religious background. My spirituality started out as an evangelical until about half way through college and then developed into what I believe is a much more thoughtful spirituality, very similar in fact to those of most of our Founding Fathers. Don't know what that means? Try reading a Wikipedia article on "Deism" for a good start. Many of you will find that our Founding Fathers weren't Christian, at least not in the way people today think of it.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
    -Buddha

May 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ana

"How many more gay people does God have to create before we ask ourselves whether or not God wants them around?"

state Rep. Steve Simon, D-St. Louis Park

May 9, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Do the Right Thing

So I guess the people who have relations with their animals will be next in line.

May 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jwesleyt

So many of the comments are well thought out and embody a true Christian message of love and support as Christ would have us be. This message transcends the Christ-like message and is reflected in true Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Native America faiths (read anything by Chief Omaha!), and so many others including a truly moral humanist.

May 4, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. jwesleyt

As a member of one of the couples in the article and a member of the body of Christ and this wondrous world on which we spiritual beings are all having a human experience, I applaud all who have commented. Even those whose comments challenge the construct of Freedom of Speech.

May 4, 2012 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • jwesleyt

Yes, that is true.

May 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. OKC

Why are the arguments about church in here.....this is against nature. As I said you can have all the legal rights you beleive you need .......but you cannot have the word married.

May 3, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Check the roots of that word. I do feel it might be the right course of action to do away with all civil marriage and allow the place one decides to worship decide what they should call it. Gay is natural dude. It happens a whole lot in our closet relatives (primates) it appears all the males have fun with other males, but most join with a female. Some do however join with other males. Don't just take the word of someone that is trying to mislead you research things before you call it gospel.

May 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rich

NC education is based on what the preacher says jesus wants not what is legit.All mith & old tales the heck with schools.They are doing the same to the gay people as they pulled on the black people and still are given half a chance......sad jesus would be very sad

May 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • NC Man

Rich... I live in North Carolina. We have one of the trashiest school systems in the country. It isn't ran by a priest, no matter what your yankee self may think. Grow a pair ffs...

May 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Trey

I'm one of the people interviewed for this blog post, and after reading the 150 comments (as of this writing), my original comments from the article are sadly enough, proving to be more painfully true than I knew. I can only thank God I didn't meet most of the so-called Christians who have posted comments here! Gay people grow up being taught that we are the lowest form of life on the planet, that family will reject us, society will scorn us, that people will be afraid for their children to be around us. In so very many instances, gay people turn to the church and to God for solace, for love, for someone to help them find a future not so filled with hate. Based on the comments here, I can see how wrong they'd be to do that! Regardless of one's position on gay-marriage, most of those of you who represent a religious perspective here should be ashamed of yourselves and your behavior! You have shown almost nothing but hate and anger. It's people just like you who made me seriously consider suicide as a teen. It's people like you who cause me to struggle daily not to instantly prejudge the driver of every car I see with a fish sticker on the back of their car. Based on these posts, there is not one shred of love in any of you. Jesus called on us to love! That was his most important commandment, and you appear to be failing miserably at it. I thank God I found a loving church home in The Episcopal Church where I know I'm loved even by those who disagree with my politics. I don't hate people like you, but I am very much afraid of you. Based on so many of these comments, you should get great satisfaction from knowing this. Lastly, the good news is that a) one day you will soon find that you are on the wrong side of history, and b) God still loves us despite our short-comings.

May 1, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • ilvpitz

Thank you Trey. Your words are beautiful.

May 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

Trey, thank you for your post. People like you are the reason I get so frustrated with my fellow Christians, and I apologize for those who claim to share my faith but spew hatred to others. You are absolutely right, there is no reason- no matter what your view on ANY issue- to treat people like they are unworthy and unlovable. We need to go back to following the example of Christ, who spent his time with those who everyone else forgot about, and showing love to those society said weren't worthwhile.

May 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jgn

The whole point of marriage in YOUR mind is about man and woman and 'holy' church affirmed ceremonies. The actual point of marriage is to make a legally binding contract between two people who love each other and want to make it official. It has absolutely nothing to do with your church, otherwise Buddhists and Moslems would not be able to marry, the way you are thinking. Keep your narrow confining opinions to yourself. If you want to marry a woman, that's your business. But if a woman wants to marry another woman rather than you (and who in her right mind wouldn't?) that's HER business.

April 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • OKC

They can have anything but the word.........legal rights to insurance, seeing each other in hospital, inheritance......whatever but you cannot be married. Whatever you want to be called except married.

May 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • natalie

And who crowned you the keeper and protector of the word "marriage"? I'm straight and I certainly didn't. Its ignorant ones like you that embarress the hell out of the rest of us, and solidify every single stereotype people have about southerners. All I can say thank goodness I don't live ther anymore.

Since you've decided that you get to restrict the liberties of other people I've decided that its my right to walk into your home and restrict some of yours. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll find something that you do that I find personally offensive (while completely and totally harmless) and I'll just "decide" that for no good reason you no longer have the right to do it.

May 8, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Craig T Nelson

Oh Gawd...Dixie is going to hell in a hand basket. Thanks a lot carpet-baggers.

April 24, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. billy

This is gr8 im glad north carolina is standing up against satan:)

April 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robairdo

Only if the vote for it. Equality is Christian, Hatred and discrimination is the work of Satan.

April 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • OKC

Thank you.........this issue has never been won in a vote.......only where 5 judges can be intemidated or bought.

May 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • ornwen

NOT true! NYS legalized gay marriage by a vote in the state legislature, happily signed into law by our governor.

We even CALL them married! Oh no!

May 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Helloaey

Calm down everyone please! OMG! Lets think about this logically. Since when has a marriage been between a man and a man or a woman or a woman. The whole point of marriage is between a man and a woman. Allso please don't say to me how America is about FREEDOM. It has to have rules you know. I mean if America was all about freedom then people could get married to goats and dogs and pigs or 3 men could get married or5 women. AND if it was all about freedom, TSA would not be invading our privacy. I have no problem with gay people but come on, I mean really. Marriage has always been between a man and woman. I personally have no problem with a donkey and giraffe getting together but they can't mate and get married. It's just not the normal way of life. Why do you think God, GODS, ALIENS, or whatever created us put males and females on the planet? Don't you think whoever was creating us had a reason for creating two genders? Well that's all I had to say. Please do not bother to lash out at me and call me names. I am just expressing my point of view just like you are and just like these gay couples are. Good day. (sorry for my misspellings)

April 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robairdo

Traditional marriage has been a contract between a father and a man for the sale of his under age daughter.

Whatever NC does no doubt the US Supreme Court will overturn it.

April 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • OKC

Well said, thank you. I really, really don't care what you do in your own home.........and you can have whatever you want to call your "union" except it is not being married.

May 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • ornwen

Civil marriage is a legal definition- so it can be decided either by voters, legislators, or judicial review.

May 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christianwoman

I'am a Christain woman and yes we have very strong beliefs, but regardless of who or what created us we have a Man and a Woman! I have known many of Gay men and women very nice and friendly everyday people. I have no problem with any of you or your choices you make for yourselves; you can do and go as you want. But for me and my family I think it's wrong as a person and its wrong in GODs eyes. I live in North Carolina and I will vote! As a christian, this country has taken away from GODs rules and Laws , students can't pray at school, or wear anything related to God on their clothing, we christians always have to be on gard because satan runs the streets of America!
      In america we are at war with each other we gardless of what the current battle is. Pray for one another and that Gods will be done!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ben

Marriage is a Holy Matrimony, it is a Church issue the Government should stay out of it and let the church define marriage. We've got to stop trying to control culture legislatively. If us Christians want to change the culture we need to do a better job at the great commission. This is what happens when you have one sided rights in a country built on developing equal rights. The other side is going to fight for equality. Take away the right in the first place and they wont have it.

April 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • stacy

Ben, are you doing anything for the next 4 years??? I think you need to run for president!!! Awesome comment and I couldn,'t have said it better myself!!!

April 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robairdo

Then marriage rights for all or none.

April 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

government has no business licensing marriage

April 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • headaches hurt

They have to be involved in marriage due to the fact it is a legal contract between two people.

May 3, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

Why is it that people (especially Christians) say that it is selfish of these two women to fight to be together, and that they are endangering these children. Those children have two parents that love them and that want to be there to care for them together. They might not have a daddy per say, but what changes the fact some men in general are not with their kids anyway (before you start, I did say some not all). What I find selfish is people pushing their beliefs on others, but in turn don't like to respect someone else.

April 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • OKC

They can be together all they want...no one is stopping them. They just want to destroy marriages. They can have a civil union or a living will or directed care all the "rights" they want...........but not the word married.

May 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • OKC

They are pushing their beleifs on everyone else........how is that ok, but our saying no isn't.?? Please explain.

May 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Scott in NC

You're right- how could they possibly request to be treated the same as everyone else? The audacity.

When do I get a turn in deciding what rights a group that is different than me should have taken away? I'm sure I could come up with something interesting. Maybe take away drivers licenses from people who have green eyes? Retract property ownership rights from people who own goldfish?

Give me some time, I’ll see if I can find a better minority group to persecute.

May 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. waitasec

selfish?

what the heck!!!

these are people too...it's selfish people like you that turn this none issue into an issue.

April 24, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. jollyroger777

Drop the ridiculous same marriage debate and get on with something more important already. My gawd millions w/o jobs and these are the issues that are being voted on? At least legalize weed we can get jobs out of that and turn the economy around.

April 24, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. quackdealer

except for the fact that, since those couples are gay, they didn't make those kids which means that they got those kids from an orphanage which means that those kids were already rejected once by their two gender parents which means that at least those kids have a home now, or do you prefer that those kids just have to stay in those orphanages until they are 18? And I'll bet you are one of those people that think the reason those kids are in those orphanages in the first place is so that they can scam the system by living off of your tax dollars, huh?

April 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • obama's mama

I dont think your assumtion about adoption is correct. I think they had those children with men.

April 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • toadears

In vitro.... grow up and get down from the soapbox, Ellen.

April 24, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  18. bobloblaw

Notice the CNN story doesnt quote a poll??? Wonder why?? Its cuz "marriage equality" is going to be defeated by 20+ points and CNN doesnt want to report that inconvenient little fact. If "marriage equality" was leading, CNN would be only too happy to quote the poll.

April 15, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  19. Stephen B.

The only thing I've ever learned from a church pew is how to judge and hate. It wasn't until I left that vicious, ignorant world and met LOVING people (such as those who will be hurt by this law) that I found God. I am from NC, orginally, and I am typically very proud to say so; but the fact that this law is even being given serious consideration in my home State shames me. I thought we were better than this.

April 12, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Hahn

Thanks Stephen!

April 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. commander42

Have men had a good look in the mirror. So many straight men over 35 have paunches, unkempt beards, ugly hair cut.s and tasteless clothing. Clean your self up, take a shower every day and brush your teeth so you can get a woman to look at you with love in her eyes. Right now WOOFER you have no right to comment on anyones body.

April 12, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. jean

tell me what you accomplish by making horrible remarks to these innocent people who have raised what seems to be a healthy normal life loving family? absoulutly nothing... you'll get yours in return some day and when you do i hope you remember all the horrible things you've said to innocent people, and hope you feel 10x worse then you made these people feel.

April 12, 2012 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  22. It Burns

At first I was going to type a long, drawn-out response about the sheer volume of other countries that allow gay marriage and haven't gone up in fire and brimstone, such as Catholic Argentina, but then I realized that I'm in the USA.

April 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Hair bear

I kinda wish we could all just get along! I really could care less who marries who! It's none of my business! There's ah old saying If it doesn't effect me and mine get over it!

April 11, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Andy

Why are Christians always so poisonous and full of hate?

April 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pug Mom

Why do stupid people like you generalize?

April 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • It Burns

I think Jesus said "Turn the other cheek," not lash out with an equally hateful response.

April 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Everything in Moderation

You do realize "Pug Mom" that you prove Andy's point right there? He generalized, but you spewed hate…so how far off is that generalization…?

April 12, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  25. Peace be with us all.

There is separation of church and state in this country. Some of us have faith, some do not. Religions are particular facets of interpretation of one bible. Read it for your self and don't be dictated to by a leader of a religion. If you believe great, if not fine – God did give us all a choice. And what this is about is the right to have a choice. Who am I to judge another's life? Or to tell them what they can or cannot do? I am a Christian and a minister and I try to be Christ like. He teaches to love one another, we are NOT to judge. If you have Christian values, then pray and do not cause strife. Trust God, hold your tongue. Do not let your opinion and words soil your faith and give people reason to turn away from God. And if you do not care to believe, please consider those who do and allow them to have their own choice. Let the people vote, separate church and state, and let your voice be heard by casting by a ballot instead of scornful words.

April 11, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beam48

Excellent post.

April 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caron

I wish they had a 'like' button on here instead of report abuse...you would receive so many likes for your answer!!!

April 12, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. JPJ3016

I can't understand the attraction one man has for another but it also has no affect on my life whatsoever if two men or women want to get married. If two consenting adults love each other and want to get married in THE LAND OF THE FREE then who are you to tell them they're wrong and destroying the world when clearly they are not?

April 11, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. BadgeR

What I wanna know is how those two large gentlemen in the photo had triplettes?

April 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheila

You can just shut your hateful mouth. I know those women, and they are wonderful people.

April 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Beam48

she said gentlemen...not ladies. She must have been talking about a different photo.

April 11, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • billy

Oh i bet u know them well too;)

April 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeahRight

"What I wanna know is how those two large gentlemen in the photo had triplettes?"

Guess you missed this lesson in grade school. Emotional maturity is defined as: the ability to express one’s own feelings and convictions balanced with consideration for the thoughts and feelings of others.

April 11, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TR

That post was hilarious...lol

April 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • TR

I'm still laughing at the "two large gentlemen"...lmao...straight up comedy

April 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jarl of Whiterun

Your a minority gay people, get over it.
    And in a free society of democratic values, majority rules.
    And the majority is against gay unions.
    Gay marriages make the U.S. a laughing stock in the eyes of the civilized world....

April 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maya

I don't, and no one I know does. It sounds like you're the one with the problem.

April 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeahRight

"Gay people cant deal with the fact that most people disapprove of their lifestyle."

No they don't. The experts around the world have proven that being gay is not a choice, not a mental illness, and it can't be voluntarily changed. Only prejudice and bigoted people think the way you do. Plus there are now 1000's of gay churches, gay clergy, pastors, rabbis, etc that have stated being gay as we know and understand it TODAY is not a sin.

April 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will Smith

I agree, if they don't like our religious values our code of ethics and our straight and normal lifestyle they should leave our country, they need to stop pushing their unnaturalness upon our lives and our children's lives, thats the real reason this country is going down the drain, Maya I think you should go to church and repent your sins.

April 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Pert ner Suppertime

I agree with ya Brother Will, preach it my man!! In the beginning God DIDN'T create Pamella and Josephine, or Steve and Larry, He created one MAN & one Woman named Adam and Eve.

April 12, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
      • ilvpitz

You must be one of Fred Phelps cult members.

May 3, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeahRight

"they need to stop pushing their unnaturalness"

The experts have proven it is totally natural you've been proven WRONG! Only prejudice people would state something that is actually not a fact. You know the saying prejudice is built on the foundation of ignorance.

April 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Randy

I don't care what the experts say, God Almighty calls it a sin.

May 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeahRight

"Maya I think you should go to church and repent your sins."

Being gay as we know and understand it today is NOT a sin. Part of reading comprehension 101 is you actually put it into historical context.

April 11, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rev. George

"I agree, if they don't like our religious values our code of ethics and our straight and normal lifestyle they should leave our country""

God does not regard homosexuality as a sin any more than heterosexuality. Sin is lack of respect for God; it is a lack of love or respect for other persons. Whether gay or straight, therefore, one may sin against God or others. But God forgives us when we sin and strengthens us in resisting sin. We are led by God's forgiving love to become more respectful and loving toward God and towards others, even those we don't "like".

The Scriptures are very important because they teach us God's love for all, gay or straight. But the Scriptures are old, thousands of years old, written even before the word "homosexual" existed. Same sex acts involving the genitals – we call these "homogenital" – seem in Scripture to be thought of as a result of idol worship. See, for example, Romans 1:18-27. Nor do the Scriptures seem to understand what we mean today by "sexual orientation". Sexual acts which are injurious, disrespectful, or unloving toward the other person are wrong. So I believe that the Scriptures approve of homosexuality and even homogenital acts that are kind, generous, loving, and respectful of the other person, just as in the case of heterosexuality or heterogenital acts.

April 11, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

And you can't deal with the fact that you are the minority and that the majority have no issue with everyone being able to enjoy marriage.

April 11, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your Face

What is with all the hate towards gay people?
      Answer this:
      What is wrong with being gay?
      DONT INCLUDE THINGS LIKE: ITS WEIRD OR ITS AGAINST MY RELIGION. Think beyond religion and weirdness

April 11, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stace

Laughing stock in the civilized world? You mean places that feel about gays the way you do? You know like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, etc?

April 12, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • JCO

"Gay mariages make the US the laughling stock of the civilized world".... You have obviously no idea what goes on in the rest of the civilized world my friend.

Gay Marriages and Unions have been legal or is underway in most other civilized countries including Canada, Australia, Spain, Argentina, Mexico City, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Iceland, South Africa, Sweden... If anything, the US is the laughing stock of the world for dwelling so much on the issue and at the same time calling themselves the "land of the free".

April 24, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
      • Sarah

May 9, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • ornwen

Rights are inalienable- that means it doesn't matter what the majority thinks. If it's a right, then you don't get to obstruct, legally or otherwise.

May 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  29. AndersonPooper

Why should we change 4000 years of marriage law for a fringe group?

April 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patriarchae

Why should we keep a law that's been around for 4,000 years? You either change with the times or die, that's a basic rule of life. The world and society is not the same as it was 4,000 years ago. You cannot rely on a bronze-age book of fairy tales to guide your life or society's laws. Stop trying to cling to your fictional god and the laws of the past. Otherwise you are useless, you are an outdated fossil who has no place in modern society. I'd rather gays have the right to marry than you have the right to live in a pile of ignorant filth.

April 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Beam48

Don't assume those against this are Christians. Every major religion is against gay marriage and so are hundreds of thousands of people with no belief system. We won't die as a nation if this isn't allows since its a very, very small population to start with. Going from one extreme to another in the comments on here, doesn't really help them.

April 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rapture Raider

No one is gonna die if we dont let Bert and Ernie marry.
        Alternatively what life will be created from these gay unions? None.

April 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patriarchae

The vast majority of "arguments" against gay marriage I've seen and heard have come strictly from a religious standpoint. Basically "my holy book/god says it shouldn't be allowed so nobody should be allowed to do it." Or "it is morally wrong because my god says so."

I have yet to see any secular argument against gay marriage. It is very much a RELIGIOUS problem.

April 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jimmy Bill and Steve

But gay unions serve no biological purpose.

They just serve the selfish desires of those people, and what people want isnt always right, now is it?

April 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • TheTokenSquare

Beam48: "We won't die as a nation if this isn't allows [sic] since its a very, very small population to start with."
        So you're suggesting society kill gay people because if they all die it is only a very small population to start with? I'd suggest that if such a small percentage of the population wants to do things differently, it should be ok because it couldn't have all that much of an impact anyway. Also, are you suggesting we should only do things when we are threatened with death?

Jimmy Bill and Steve: "But gay unions serve no biological purpose."
        So what? Until you call for the nullification of any marriage/union that proves to be incapable of producing natural children your point is invalid.

April 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • David Evans

Yes I am a Christian, and believe that Gods Commandments can't change otherwise God ceases to be God. Same sex relationships have civil partnership.. a legal recognition endex for me .. Marriage is between Man and Woman, Adam and Eve as it was. Redefining marriage is just wrong. Adam and Eve were in essence married.. but to let Man and Man, woman and woman say they are married.. No. These relationships can't ever be marriage. Its like redefining an Apple as now an Orange.. this cannot happen. I'm sorry if this upsets, but as commandments can't change.. this can't change.

April 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • YeahRight

"Every major religion is against gay marriage and so are hundreds of thousands of people with no belief system."

That is completely not true there are thousands of gay churches in America, there are clergy who are actually marching in protest on how the gay community is being treated. There has even been written letters of apologies from clergy to the gay community too!

The experts around the world, hundreds of thousands of them have shown that being gay is not a choice, it's not a mental illness and it can't be voluntarily changed, being gay is normal and natural to human sexuality.

April 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • YeahRight

"Yes I am a Christian, and believe that Gods Commandments can't change otherwise God ceases to be God."

That's why there are so many thing in the bible that are considered an abomination that are legal today and not frowned upon by the church. The only reason people use this excuse is to validate their personal prejudices and hatred. What a bunch of hypocrites.

April 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maya

I believe the same argument was used by those who wanted to retain legal slavery.

April 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTokenSquare

So marriage law hasn't changed in the last century? Or the last millennium? Or since 2500 BCE?
      Click ... Next!

April 11, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mc2

There are many things that are 4,000 years old that should not and are not around today. I wonder if one of the arguments of slave owners was, "Well, we've been owning people for years- why not stop now?" And a fringe group? The gay community is large and established. Please educate yourself before voting on an amendment that both destroys loving families and casts the "Land of the Free" in an unfavorable light to the rest of the world.

April 11, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mr Johnson

Well since money talks in our society - every gay person should move out of the bigoted states, not visit, vacation or spend any form of money in these states. The redneck states would soon realize exactly what they have done. They will accept gay money as long as they do not have to recognize who the money actually came from.

April 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beam48

Since less then 4% of the population is gay, I don't think that would have much of an impact.

April 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. james

We don't need yo redefine a family after 5000yrs. Its been just fine

April 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

Yes we do because the experts proved that everything written about gays in the past were done by bias and prejudice people. It's why the laws in this country are changing. They have proven being gay is not a choice, it's not a mental illness, and it can't be voluntarily changed. They deserve the same civil rights as straights.

April 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • james

You're in luck then, you are covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Anyway that's your tough luck.

April 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcollin

Oh yeah, totally fine...more than 1/2 end in divorce despite the claim that marriage is sacrosanct. Just ask Newt.

April 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTokenSquare

That's right James, let's use the definition of family that was in existence 5000 years ago. What does that look like? Well, if I recall a man could have multiple wives and they were considered chattel. Marriage was more about property rights and inheritance than any kind of love or desire for a relationship. If a man were wealthy enough he could literally have a harem. And those wives could have maids/servants. If one of the wives didn’t want to perform her “wifely duties” she was able to send in her handmaid as a surrogate! Also, it was considered ok to offer your own daughters up for your neighbors to “know” if they threatened your guests from out of town. Oh, and what about the thing where if your husband died you had to marry his next youngest available brother? I’m still a little fuzzy on that. Oh, and divorce – don’t get me started. Seriously, the take away from your 5,000 year argument is the idea/definition of family has seriously changed over the years. It is the 21st century, not 2900 BCE.

April 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. DignityNOW

"Let's Pretend" taken to extremes..

April 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

Yeah pretending there is a god when there isn't one is tearing our society apart.

April 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. no pretenders

marriage is for a man and a woman

anything else is an abomination

April 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisapizza1

hahahaha, Jesus is posting!!

April 11, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh

The experts around the world disagree with you.

April 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Klaire

Only to bigots like you. Some of us actually don't get offended at the thought of two loving people getting the same tax benefits as the rest of us.

April 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rule Maker

I agree letting kids grow up in a gay household is not healthy or normal.
      They just get teased into suicide, happens everyday...

April 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beam48

Afraid you are going to have to do better then that..those were written for believers..in this case the Jews. Most Christians do not follow the hundreds of Jewish laws.

April 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeahRight

"Most Christians do not follow the hundreds of Jewish laws."

And they don't apply to gays today either.

April 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeahRight

"I agree letting kids grow up in a gay household is not healthy or normal.
      They just get teased into suicide, happens everyday..."

Actually the experts have proven you wrong. "Social science has shown that the concerns often raised about children of lesbian and gay parents—concerns that are generally grounded in prejudice against and stereotypes about gay people—are unfounded. Overall, the research indicates that the children of lesbian and gay parents do not differ from the children of heterosexual parents in their development, adjustment, or overall well-being

April 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

"They just get teased into suicide, happens everyday..."

That happens to straight kids too and more of them kill themselves than gays, so by your logic we need to outlaw straight marriage too. I hope you don't have children your prejudice is not based on facts and you are a terrible role model.

April 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beam48

of course not...why would Jewish laws apply to gays..unless they are Jews?? My point was trying to use Old testament laws against Christians that don't even follow those laws makes no sense at all.

April 11, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. sumday

It is NOT a human right- it is a relationship right you do know the difference don't you? I have certain rights with my doctor, lawyer, or priest than I do with my mechanic, butcher, or babysitter does that mean the mechanic, butcher, ect are discriminated against bc they don't have the same rights as the lawyers or doctor?? I don't get how people claim the gay community is discriminated against- everyone of them can vote, work, pay the same taxes, ect- WHERE IS THE DISCRIMINATION??? Marriage for over 10yr has been tied to reproduction- if you got a women pregnant you were suppose to marry her, also up until recently most marriages were arranged- love and feelings had nothing to do with it, so stop making this about 2 people who just want to be together bc who cares if 2 people want to be together. How would a civil union affect gay people huh? Having gay marriage states that marriage has nothing to do with reproduction- yet for 10k yr it did- it basically says reproduction is worthless and has no value as it is equal that the impossibility of reproduction. I’d be for a civil union but not for gay marriage.

April 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Klaire

So, what about people who can't naturally reproduce on their own? Like myself, many other women are sterile. By your logic, we shouldn't be allowed to marry? Or is my value as a woman only tied to whether or not I can reproduce?

April 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Klaire

And this was directed to Sumday. Sorry!

April 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • M in OZ

That's all the religious people see when they see a woman; someone to serve a man and have children. Read the comments above for examples such as the loser calling them "heefers" (whatever those are) because they don't look like the standard version of "perfect women" (Barbie doll).

April 12, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ornwen

How do you not understand the numerous legal benefits to couples and families (yes, omg, some gay couples are raising kids! gasp!) that legal marriage brings? Where do you get the gall to restrict gays/lesbians from enjoying the same rights you have? If they don't have the same rights, they should at least get to pay less in taxes.... or never be required to serve on a jury should they just simply choose not to... or maybe they should be forever exempt from the draft.

May 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. spectre

Now if we could teach monkeys how to type using upper and lower case, that would be progress!

April 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Clyde M

Why people continue to go out of their way to encode bigotry into secular law is beyond me. What a sick, disgusting mindset to go through life with.

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • QS

Self-righteousness is the simple answer....where the self-righteousness comes from is a longer conversation. :-)

April 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christianwoman

Whats wrong is people going throughout life with no rules or morals for themselves or others. Just because you want or desire something does not make it right. What I have seen reading theese post are not Christains attacking the Gays; its the other way around. Don't judge us because we try to live a Godly life....

May 6, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
      • ornwen

No one is keeping YOU from living your life... but it would be nice if you didn't restrict others' rights based on your extremely old "holy" book.

May 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Rosemary Peppercorn

I live in NC. I'm hoping that the hatred and dysfunction that exists in today's Christianity does not result in passing this horrific piece of legislation. We are not backward here. It's not Mayberry. This legislation, if passed, will cement North Carolina's reputation as a bunch of backwoods idiots. And Jerry's comment says "...two men cannot make a baby." (OH, REALLY??? AND THAT HAS TO DO WITH...WHAT?) It's that kind of statement that makes me worry for the future of the universe.

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bad Religion

The universe will always continue on even after the dissolution of humanity, however the stupidity of many people in this country is definitely hastening the day where there will be no humanity left.

April 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Amy Sue

People's views and what's acceptable in today's society has changed dramatically over time, but God's word will never change. That is one thing that we can count on in this crazy, upside down world.

April 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

for the record not everyone in this world believes in your god!

April 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Neeneko

"God's Word" changes all the time, which is why we have hundreds of denominations of Christianity alone, and each of those changes significantly over the decades. Even 2000 years ago there were dozens of Churches each with their own versions of scripture.

April 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cjohnson

Neeneko, God's Word does not change. Man Changes God's word. If you sit down and read the Bible, that is God's word.

April 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney McNeely

People's views and what's acceptable in today's society has changed dramatically over time, but Thor's hammer will never change. That is one thing that we can count on in this crazy, upside down world.

April 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randy W

God had no issues with one man and 500 wives and concubines. Are you good with that?

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosemary Peppercorn

Have you ever read what the Bible says about SLAVERY? Have you? If you believe everything in the Bible, then you would have SLAVES! Newsflash: Everything in the Bible CANNOT be applied to today's world. We have evolved. Too bad you haven't.

April 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • To Amy

You know Amy,
      As a conservative Christian, I used to think the same way, that all people should live by biblical morality. But then I realized, my opinion in a democracy should not be enforced on other people. If we were living in Iran or Sudan, yes, God's words (or Allah's words) are laws, and any deviance should result to death. Fortunately, we are living in a democracy, where all are endowed by Almighty certain inalienable rights, chief among them: life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • JJ

Thank you! It's folks like you that redeem the Christian reputation by acting like Jesus. Bravo!

April 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bad Religion

Oh my dear Amy Sue, if only that was truly the case however over history, the church, the bible, and the ceremonies thereof have indeed changed significantly and dogma may be hard to change but it has changed many times in the past. Your narrow world and historical view is exactly what is the problem with religious people such as yourself.

April 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • agathodaimon

Amy Sue, which one of God's Words are you talking about? The ones written in Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, German, or English? If you're looking at the New Testament, then God must have been speaking in Aramaic because, as far as we know, God has spoken to no human since the time of Jesus. So, where and when did you learn Aramaic? And PS: God has spoken to people since, but I highly doubt you would consider any words of the Koran to be God's word, even though it is.

April 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

"but God's word will never change"

The god in your bible does not condemn the saved loving Christian gay couple. What the bible does condemn is male prostitution, idolatry and rape.

April 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • KEB

Religion is one of the leading causes of war and death throughout the history of the world. Seems like that makes the world a pretty "crazy, upside down" place to me.

April 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • wayne

First, we do not know "God's Word", because apparently he never learned English. Thus, whatever language he spoke has been translated and re-translated. So it's better to pick out a translator and more accurately state that John Smith says God said.......but then, who wants to believe John Smith? Then there is the matter of the New Testament, which does not appear until 40 years after Jesus's death. You can imagine what 40 years of oral storytelling can do to an original version, so you must also exercise care. The folks I will not trust at all are the ones in this blog who "know" what either of these gentlemen said or meant!

April 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Not every one believes in god
      or some dont agree on the word of god

April 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  39. cajuntide

Give them what they want and all that goes with it and then everyone shut up about this.

April 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Neeneko

Actually, then the next fight will begin. Other groups will then also want their rights, and we will get to see how quickly gay rights groups turn on their allies once they have what they want.. sadly, the temptation to go 'see, we are normal just like you, we hate the same people you do, and do not like the REAL perverts!'

April 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Matt

CNN never has any articles in support of the traditional marriage view.

April 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • QS

Is that surprising? There's already support for traditional marriage, even among the gay community....the sad truth is that the support is not reciprocated.

If there is ever a major effort to ban traditional marriage, I'll agree with you that there should be coverage about it.

April 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • TheTokenSquare

BINGO QS ... totally correct.

April 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Neeneko

And which tradition would that be? It has changed many times over the last few hundred years already.

April 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottie

Traditional Marriage? You mean the kind where women as seen as possessions of the men they marry? Or the kind where parents choose who will be married? Or do you mean 'your' definition of traditional? Traditional marriage as most would define it currently has been in existence less than a hundred years.

April 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ross

Which traditional marriage are you speaking of? The one where a man may have many wives? The one in which a wife and children are nothing more than chattel? or the one that says you cannot marry outside of your race? Marriage is a contract between two parties. If two people want to enter into a contract – it doesn't concern you.

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisapizza1

Why does it both you so much? You're still just as married even if Bob and Joe down the street also got married.

April 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maya

Perhaps that is only because idiots subscribe to that viewpoint.

April 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Richard T NYC

I truly hope that North Carolina wakes up and recognizes what should be termed as simple human and civil rights. The GLBT population has been treated as second-class citizens for long enough! We are the same as everyone else, we pay taxes and have the same happinesses and sadnesses as everyone else. Please just let us be able to marry the person that we love and plan to spend our lifetimes with. Is that SO much to ask for?

April 11, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • NooYawkah

Yes, it is.

April 11, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Do you know what I don't get? We treat taxpaying citizens as second class citizens and tell them they can or cannot be married, but we support health care for illegal immigrants and their entire family? We provide welfare to UNMARRIED baby mommas as well. As someone that is fiscally conservative, but socially liberal (I walk a fine line!) this really ticks me off! Let them be married? Who are we to say?

April 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Wyoming

I hope your state will not show discrimination. I know an amendment was intrudenced here in Wyoming like that but the Legislatures here voted it down and we continue to accept all marriage certi.s.

April 11, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  43. sameeker

What does this have to do with the topic? So tired of spammers. The penalty for eliminating one should be a five dollar fine or 5 min community service.

April 11, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  44. whynot

there it is again. religion rearing its ugly head into people's personal lives.

April 11, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • QS

Jerry is doing what most religious people tend to do....assuming that morality and religion are synonymous, but they are not.

April 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

How is it then that so many people feel they can decide for themselves what's 'moral' and what's not? Some folks believe it's ok to cheat on their taxes because the government just wastes the money. Some folks believe it's morally ok to grab the money that falls out of a bank's armored car. Some folks believe relations with a child is moral as long as the child doesn't mind. You see, God sets the standard for morality because mankind cannot; or will not.

April 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • tryingtogetoverhim

Actually Jerry, we do have those standards- they're called laws.

April 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • JJ

@Jerry- because some people can think for themselves. Because some people do the right things out of empathy, understanding or altruism. Because some people are good regardless of a threat of hell. Obviously you are an adulterous, thieving murder at heart and the only thing keeping YOU in line is your magical mystery man in the sky. Very sad. You obviously need to fear a myth to keep us all safe. Stick with it, please! Let those of us who understand how acting in a moral way benefits society as a whole do so without your book and bogeyman.

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

justice has nothing to do with religion!

April 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosemary Peppercorn

You confuse morals with religion. Religion does not own morals. People can survive just fine without your RELIGION. Are you such a simpleton that without your RELIGION, you will STEAL AND KILL? Give me a break.

April 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Idiot. What you said has nothing to do with anything. We are all more stupid for reading it.

April 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pamela

Thanks Jerry, plainly and simply put, but poignant. We should not stress though, let them sin, and let God deal with that sin. I
      have sinned as has everyone, but I am not here to judge. What, I do believe is that upon resurrection, God will deal with each and everyone of us. What you can't do is continually ask for forgiveness and stay in that sin. The point of God's forgiveness, is that we have learned and moved away from that sin.

April 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shenanigan

So are you saying that YOU want to kill people and steal things and cheat on your spouse, but religion won't let you? Maybe the police should be keeping an eye on you then. You just confirmed the "religion rearing its ugly head" comment a thousand times over.

April 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • no_name

Jerry, just because you're religion is able to forgive sins doesn't mean that without it everyone would be as barbaric as you describe.. there are other religions in the world besides your own-open your mind.

April 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

No_Name: Who are you to say what's barbaric and what's not? If you can decide what's moral and what's not, then so can I; right?

April 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sameeker

It is an article about a photographer taking pictures of the couples. So, where are the pictures? As far as relationships go, people should be able to do what they want. Enough of the churches trying to dictate everybodys' lives for fun and profit.

April 11, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  46. JP

Is anyone from North Carolina badmouthing Obama's statement on the Supreme Court, because ethat would be amusingly hypocritical. Why doesn't everyone mind their own business and let people be happy with whoever they want to be happy with? If you want to break people up because it makes you feel uncomfortable, you are a bad person.

April 11, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • davidqtn

Yeah, the women in that picture look really happy. Let's adopt a bunch of kids with no father in the home... This world is full of idiots.

April 11, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
      • K

Yeah, maybe they look unhappy because bigots are threatening the legal validity of their unions. That's something to cheer about isn't it?

April 11, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
      • tommy

my mother was more of a father than my birthfather or stepfather, ever was combined!

April 11, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
      • sameeker

It will be interesting to see how the divorce rates are among the men when there are no greedy mothers in the picture. Their marriages will likely last much longer.

April 11, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
      • JP

How do you sleep at night?

April 11, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Brooke

You sound like an idiot. Just FYI! At least those children have a loving home and are being taken care of. It doesn't matter who does the raising and loving that child. That's all that should matter!

April 11, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

@sameseeker: Right, take mothers out of the picture and humanity would die off because two men cannot make a baby. It's biologically impossible.

April 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • JJ

@Jerry- but two men CAN raise children. It's people like you who drag us back to the Middle Ages. How does it feel to see your ignorance become more and more fringe/unacceptable? How does it feel to know your grandchildren will speak of you in hushed, embarrassed tones. "Well, I guess we can't blame grandpa, he's from a time that just couldn't understand". You are the old guy who still says "coloreds", aren't you?

April 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sumday

and why don't people stop trying to change a tradition that dates back to the first human civilization? In all of human history marriage has always been tied to reproduction. Most marriages were arranged- so love and emotions had nothing to do with it. Sorry but I'm not willing to let go of 10 THOUSAND years of human tradition bc some people feel left out. I'd support a civil union that grants them all the same rights, but marriage is bt a man and women. let gays have a civil union tradition for 10 thousand yrs and then let someone come and tell them to change it and see how they feel. I'm from NC and will be voting against it. Call me any name you want bc of that, but honestly I've probably been called worse by a better person.

April 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Klaire

Sumday, marriage has changed quite a bit. Why can't it be changed a little more?

Way back when, marriage was a contract between families. Family A sells their daughter to Family B in exchange for money, land, or property. Family A gets someone to help continue the family line. It is all about trading property and power.

Now, marriage is for love in most situations. Back then, the notion would be scoffed at.

April 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • ornwen

Yeah, why are people cruising the internet at all?!?!?!? It used to be, that if you wanted to know the weather, you WENT OUTSIDE. It used to be, that if you wanted to learn something, you opened an encyclopedia. Now, people find out anything they want to know on the Internet. It used to be, that people talked to each other! Now we just write ignorant comments on news websites! I say that anything new is bad!!!!!

May 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |