Engage: State scholarships not always going to the most needy
A recent study reported that more state grant dollars are given based on merit, rather than financial need.
May 15th, 2012

Engage: State scholarships not always going to the most needy

Engage with news and opinions from around the web about under-reported stories from undercovered communities.

Report: State college aid increasingly rewarded to wealthy– The Washington Post

Opinion: Navigating Mexican-American identity as an Angeleno non-immigrant - The Los Angeles Times

'Lost' actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje creates film culled from "cultural identity crisis" he faced as a black Nigerian child raised by white British foster parents - The Guardian

Workers over 55 face tough job search ahead – The Latino Times

Posted by
Filed under: Engage
  1. Jorge

Lately, whenever I attempt to post an anecdote of personal experience which are relevant to the subjects on the In America soundoffs, my comment is not posted. I stick by the rules, do not use offensive language and attack no one. Yet my comments are not posted, is CNN practicing selective censorship?

May 17, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. maria garcia

What about the rich kids who get scholarships. John Elway's daughter recieved a scholarship to Stanford, and Ed MacAffree's son received a scholarship to Duke. Seriously, their parents can't afford to pay for their schooling. Give the money to a student who actually deserves it, and needs it.

May 17, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Solo

What counts in the scholarship hunt is race, pure and simple. I was denied an academic scholarship (and bluntly told so) because the organization was looking for a "minority female candidate." I had the grades, the extracurricular activities, the references and an essay that was called "outstanding," yet the fact that I am a Caucasian female kept me from earning what should have been mine to at least compete fairly for. The woman who was awarded the full-ride was Black with a mediocre GPA and the last update I heard from the alumni scholarship committee, she dropped out due to academic failure in her second year. The funds were not allowed to be awarded again due to gift restrictions.

May 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evelyn

If all that is true, why didn't you get a full academic scholarship?

May 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Can you imagine if someone told a minority the scolarship had to go to a caucasian? Can anyone say atomic bomb? But the blatant anti white racism is alive and well.

May 16, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vivian

Hi Solo, not every student that gets an A or B grades earn them and i do not see anything wrong with giving the poor student that want an education financial aid. Would you prefer you get the full ride and down the road when you get a job you pay higher taxes because you and others like you took all the financial aid will have to pay for those that were left out because they did not earn those so-called "great grades" . However, given a chance at college could have perhaps went to school with financial help and earn a degree even with a C average after all our former president was a C student lets not forget!! This is nothing new when I was in college in 1986 I was on financial aid with a white student from a family with millions, he was the son of a hollywood star a very prominent one at that time, he just said that he was an independent student, now the only difference is they are using grades to get the financial aide, how sad!!

May 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Solo

Viv, dear. Let's keep the playing field level and honest. I just love the rationale from the Black community (and on occasion, Hispanics – never Asians) that they need "programs" to further the education of those who would not have access normally. If that is what they want, and it's their rationale that skin color dictates this, why are people racist if they refer to anything else based on skin color, or specific to the Black community? It was a rhetorical question – I'll tell you why. It's just a way to work the system both ways, and any way to get them something for nothing, and "by any means necessary" as I've seen it from the Black leadership. Enough of this nonsense. If you want to be respected as a race, EARN IT, WORK FOR IT AND THEN PASS ALONG A LEGACY. Don't expect me to shed a tear for those wanting the easy way out based on race. I earned my scholarship and my skin color was not a factor. I had the goods.

May 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. howard

last names count heavily in who gets scholarships. my parents were retired ... I was a vet living on my own with my wife earning $4.50/hour ... and was refused scholarships and told to ask my parents (who were lower middle income) to pay my way through college. So I took out loans for both my wife and myself and we both worked part time jobs. Loans were 7 to 7.5 percent. We managed and so can everyone else out there without big brother's patronizing.

May 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. College student

In the DMV area( DC, Maryland and VA) I've learned that the scholarships go to the lower income students. Just last week this girl who couldn't read from DC got a full ride to GMU. It must be the area I live in because it all goes to the poor.

May 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Goku

Vegetta What is the number of kids without scholarships in America? IT'S OVER 9000!!!

May 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hamsta

scholarships go to those that earn it by getting good grades. thats the way it always has been done. so whats the problem? sounds like the socialists are looking to steal that scholarship from the middle class kids and give it to a welfare recipients kid who does not get good grades. the problem with this is basicly that if a kid is raised by a sasquatch they will be a sasquatch. the parents are teaching the kids how to get welfare.this requires them to perform poorly in school. it doesnt matter how much money or free stuff you give them, they get all that free stuff by performing poorly and gaming the system. the only way to get a scholarship should be to get good grades. most people that get good grades come from affluent families because they are taught by their parents to earn their way instead of waiting on a handout. i dont care if what i said hurts your feelings because thats the truth and the truth cares not about your feelings.

May 16, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

I absolutely agree with you!!!

May 16, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Evelyn , ditto.

May 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eddie

Hamsta, you are complete moron.

Poor people teach their kids how to be poor!?

I grew up poor in housing projects AND NEVER ONCE DID i EVER HEAR ANYONE SAY WE LOVE BEING POOR OR i WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO PAY MY WAY.

This is what conservatives tell themselves so they can sooth their consceince and juistify taking away what little the poor have in this country.

Perhaps you should have attended a course in College that taught empathy, kindness and generousity for those who have less

May 17, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |