A Latina mom's baby-sitting lament
Where do you look when you run out of relatives and close friends to baby-sit?
June 4th, 2012

A Latina mom's baby-sitting lament

Editor's note: Rose Arce is a senior producer at CNN and a contributor to Mamiverse, a website for Latinas and their families.

By Rose Arce, CNN

(CNN) - We began breakfast one recent morning delivering this news to Luna: Rosanna, her caregiver, was going on a two-week vacation. "Who is going to take care of me?" she asked. And then she gave me "the look." I call it pouty face. Her dime-sized brown eyes squeeze together, the lower lip rolls out, the hands ball up. Every time she looks like that, my crazy Mama Head empties of sugarplum fairies and fills with fears of pedophilia and child snatching.

We have had the same babysitter since Luna was born. Rosanna would step in front of a train for Luna. She is not easily replaced. But when Luna was a baby, we figured we had options. There is a reason God gave us mothers, tias (aunties), abuelitas (grandmothers) and the occasional BFF you call "co-madre" regardless of whether they are actually your kid's godmother and hence your "co-mother." The problem is every Latina in New York works until death. There is no cotton-topped Grandma on standby sitting in her house-dress feeding chickens.

I don't think all Latinas are so overprotective of their kids. But this one is.

Read the full story

1. Ginger

How am I supposed to relate to a wealthy women replacing her built in nanny for 2 weeks out of the year? How is any women white, black or other going to relate to that? I tell you what, when you have to leave your crying child with a virtual stranger for over half your take home pay in order not to lose your job, then you can take up your whining pen into your pitiful hand and write an article on child care, until then match you vacation with your built in nannies and shut up.

June 6, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. chefdugan

Well, they learned to put out their hands for government handouts in unison. They have a culture built on corruption and it will never change. The fewer we let in the better.

June 6, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. cosmictwang

What was the point of this article?

June 6, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Alicia

I hought all latino families "were tight", unlike the evil white ones.

June 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ANB

The cotton-topped grandma statement is offensive to me. I'm a single mom, my son went to day care and now stays for afterschool care. My family is 500 miles away. I understand the cultural idea of a close-knit Latin family, because I grew up in a close-knit Slovak family. But in 2012, it's much more likely everyone's pretty much on their own regardless of who they are or what their background was. Finding a good church or building good friendships is what helps me find people willing to babysit. That is the modern family.

June 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DDNAE

fed up– i dont understand what does illegal immigrants have to do with this story. just because shes latina does not mean shes illegal. So many americans have such hatred towards the latinos, when many that claim to be american arent really american because their ancesters did the same thing when they came over from europe.

June 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fed Up

My ancestors did come over from Europe – LEGALLY and ready to work and care for their children without whining about it.

June 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Renait

I think that anyone who throws the "illegal" word into the conversation based solely on someone's last name should have 10 minutes to prove that they, themselves are here legally – or else be hauled out into the street and shot on the spot.

June 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Fed Up

"Every Latina... works until death"? Who is she kidding? Let's count the illegals arriving here daily who expect the same rights as U.S. citizens – and even if they "work" three months out of the year picking apples, they are not paying taxes and feel free to use the emergency rooms and other services at their every whim. I could care less who watches this woman's child. She acts as if this is a dilemma faced only by the Latino community. There should be plenty of her kind sitting around doing nothing that can watch her child.

June 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DDNAE

I love how the latin culture is so different. is like i always say no one will ever understand whats like to come from a latin background or to be part of a traditional latin family

June 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CW

Here's a tip. How about not outsourcing your daughter's childhood to a nanny?

"The problem is every Latina in New York works until death. There is no cotton-topped Grandma on standby sitting in her house-dress feeding chickens.'

Would that cotton-topped grandma be white? I am really trying to figure out CNN's agenda here.

June 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |