June 12th, 2012

A kinder, gentler Ku Klux Klan? 'We do not hate anyone,' imperial wizard says

by Alicia W. Stewart, CNN

(CNN) –“All we wanna do is adopt a highway,” said April Chambers, secretary of the  North Georgia chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. “We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

For many Americans, the Ku Klux Klan has been a symbol for terrorism, racism and evil in America, synonymous with burning crosses, lynchings and hooded men.

Even today, the name evokes vociferous discussion about the rights of a local group to adopt a highway in North Georgia, which was recently denied.

Overheard on CNN.com: Reader 'feeling a bit dirty' for agreeing with KKK on litter pickup

But is the latest effort to adopt a highway an introduction of a new era of a kinder, gentler Klan or merely an effort to gain attention? After more than a century and a half, what is the Ku Klux Klan today?

"We're not racists," Chambers told CNN Monday. "We just want to be with white people. If that's a crime, then I don't know. It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it."

Harley Hanson, who filed the application to adopt the highway for the International Keystone Knights Realm of Georgia, concurred:  “I love my race. Does that make me wrong? I’m proud to be white,” he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Georgia official: KKK won't be allowed to 'adopt' highway

Today, when speaking to leaders of the Klan, you won't hear racial epithets or a denunciation of any ethnic groups.

"We do not hate anyone,” said Frank Ancona, the imperial wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. “The true Ku Klux Klan is an organization that is looking out for the interests of the white race. It is a fraternal organization, and we do good works.”

Ancona's words are a contrast to criminal acts historically associated with the Klan - a divergence from intimidating images of hooded figures with lit crosses cutting through a dark night.

"We look out for the interest of our family first, I feel that other races feel the same way - it's a natural instinct, " he adds.

After all, who can argue with anyone about taking care of one's loved ones or cleaning up a national highway?

"These groups are interested in the press they know they are going to get off this - it doesn’t have anything to do with improving the world," said Mark Potok, editor in chief of the Intelligence Report, which tracks hate groups and extremists for the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Potok concludes that it is not a kinder, gentler Ku Klux Klan but merely a sign of the times.

“Even the Klan recognizes there is no way that they can recreate America as an all-white country,” he said.

The group began as a fraternal organization, founded by Confederate veterans after the Civil War. At its height, Ku Klux Klan members were politicians, advertising gurus, journalists, businessmen and women with powerful political and social influence.  In the 1920s, membership swelled to 4 million to 5  million, fueled in part by the popularity of  "A Birth of a Nation," a 1915 silent film that extolled the virtues of the Klan.  The civil rights era witnessed a resurgence of the group, and it still exists today with 4,000 to  5,000 members nationally.

"I wonder why they characterize us as a hate group? Who do we hate?"  Ancona said. "I know what the perception is; people come up to us and they hate us."

When speaking to him via phone, Ancona insists that there is a not a "rebranding" of the KKK.  Instead, there is a focus on the original values of the Klan that have been distorted by "rogue" members and a mischaracterization by media.

"We are doing all we can to dispel the negative images," said Ancona. "If we find out one of our members was charged with a crime, or immoral behavior, we might give them a warning first, but we try to keep a tight eye on that. We have a thorough screening process to weed out troublemakers. I can only speak for the Traditional Knights, but none of our members are criminals."

Ancona sends out Twitter messages, has a modest following and speaks earnestly about the traditions of the Klan.  He speaks with special conviction when talking about the standard by which he strives to live.

"Jesus Christ is our criteria of character. If you look at Romans 12:1-2,  that is how Klans are  supposed to live, that is the standard, " he explained. "We do not burn the cross, we light the cross to show that Christ is the light of the world."

When pressed for how historical killings intersect with with Christian teachings of loving one another, he answers that the criticism the group faces is similar to the contempt directed at his example.

"We do this even though we know we will be hated and scorned, we sacrifice and serve for what's right - to uphold the principle that were taught by Jesus Christ of Nazareth and ensure that we give our children and their grandchildren America we had."

An independent contractor, Ancona says he is not paid for his work leading the Midwest chapter. He does the work "because I feel that I am doing something good for my fellow man."

He believes there is nothing hateful in the Klan bylaws and contends that while the organization has had  "a dark past," it is not dissimilar to that of the action of some priests actions in the Catholic Church  or a producer cutting misleading clips in on a story about George Zimmerman: you don't judge the whole for a few bad parts.

"I would want people to know that we are here, and we are not to be feared. The Klan is looking out for the white race, to preserve our rights and our history. The Klan looks out for America as our forefathers did."

Mark Pitcavage, the director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League, characterizes Ancona's group as "sort of the big dog" of the Ku Klux Klan now.

Pitcavage is a former military historian who began researching militia minutemen and later right-wing extremism.  He characterizes the  Klan as "group of hard-core white supremacists that are motivated by a belief that the white race is in danger of extinction."

He says white supremacy is composed of  five main movements: Neo-Nazis, traditional white supremacist groups, racist skinheads, racist prison gangs and Christian Identity, whose religious adherents believe they are descended from lost tribes of Israel.

The current Klan is not one cohesive group, and is considered one of the traditional white supremacist groups, which emerged in the the civil rights era.

"The situation that existed in the 1950s and '60s simply does not exist. The white supremacists are no longer in charge. They are now fighting for the very survival of the white race, and they have to fight to protect," said Pitcavage. "This is a fundamental difference of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1950s and today in the 21st century.”

In the past 60 years, several chapters of the Klan have made efforts to be involved in more civic-minded projects, such as adopting highways.

The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan - the Arkansas group that David Duke once led - tried doing it. There was also a group in Missouri  that won a lawsuit to adopt a highway, and most recently, the North Georgia group that was denied the permit.

Posted by
Filed under: History • Race • Who we are
soundoff (1,718 Responses)
  1. ptsdLOADING

This is actually the perfect irony. Who would have ever thought that a once hateful group that triggered the equal rights movement would become a client? We must actually look at this! If they adopt a charter which includes peaceful means of promoting their own equality especially in the light of knowing that the future is headed toward a latino/hispanic majority. Protection of their own rights would NOT be a bad thing!

I do not hate anyone, maybe it is time for change. If one race has a holiday month, every race should have a month. If race has protection against racism every race should have the same protection. Why not establish a racial counsel of equality and house it under one roof of peace?

I'm black and I'm thinking that this could actually be a good thing and may actually be the beginning of the end for racism!

June 13, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • ptsdLOADING

But, the hoods would have to go guys, that's just not right!

June 13, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

You obviously don't understand the KKK at all.

June 13, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Carrie

Those klan robes are pretty repulsive, but I find burquas and Muslim head coverings repulsive too. Let them clean the highways.

June 13, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Yea, right

The KKK is full of fear and hate of any other race that is not white. They are not loving towards their fellow man. They do not follow Gods teaching "love they neighbor as thy self". Do not be fooled by thsese dim wits. They will always be the evil KKK.

June 13, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • shi

For all the love they have for Jesus supposidly, I wonder what they would do if they found out Jesus was in fact not
      " White" , he was an Arab.. Thats right people Jesus was not I REPEAT was NOT white.

June 13, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
      • bfpiercelk

"I believe everything I heard in college once."

FTFY

June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
      • name

Thank you Shi. You're absolutely right! 🙂 (I also took a similar class and I believe the distinction needs to be made).

June 13, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Shi

No, I don't believe "everything I heard in college once", my major was actually Persian, Armenian, Turkish, and Arabic Culture, and went on to get my Masters in Anthropology , so this topic came up A LOT considering that so many people want to deny the true meaning of ethnicity, and Ill make an educated guess that you didn't get past high school...

June 13, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. warsteiner

If an Organization came out that was proactive in helping white people just like the NAACP I would join up in a minute. Every time a organzation opens that is for white people they are labeled racist every time.The white people need a group to rival the black and latino groups. When ever there a white person in a fight with a minority the white guy is charged with hate crimes as well. Today white people have to put up with catching the brunt of all the racist rhetoric. This is unfair and Im tired of hearing how we are devils or being labeled racist every time a white person sticks up for themself. It time we have a group defending us when racist minorities protest a ruling or when a minority commits a crime and gets caught lying and getting his race to riot for him this is crazy. Not all white people are racist and having a opinion should be fine without fear of having to defend them self

June 13, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
    • troy

You don't need the KKK, just join the Republican Party.

June 13, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. curtis fike

Would the NAACP be allowed to adopt ? Somebody needs to keep the roads clean !

June 13, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. granger

Not a klan supporter, but where are all the articles about the Black Panthers? ACORN? ACLU? The Congressional Black Caucus? Those are the terrorist organizations hurting the nation now; the KKK's time has past....

June 13, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • JJ

...couldn't agree more, and I'm NOT white.

June 13, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
      • 3729 DIANA

Yeah, but I'll bet that you wish you were.

June 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Would you please proof how these organizations are hurting the nation? Or are you just spewing hateful garbage? If my memory serves me correctly, ACORN doesn't exist anymore, thanks to bigotry. I'd be interested in hearing how the Black Caucus and the other organizations you mentioned are hurting America. The New Black Panters are a joke and 95% of black americans know this.

June 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. johanna

the klan should know that jesus christ was a middle eastern jew, which means he most likely didn't have pale skin, blue eyes, blond hair – that would't have fared well in the desert. they should learn some proper english too, and while they're at it, get some proper education – then maybe they'll look at the world in a whole new way

June 13, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. vp

"We're not racists," Chambers told CNN Monday. "We just want to be with white people"

That's HILARIOUS!!

(and of course, it's the definition of "Racist")

June 13, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • warsteiner

This is not what we need to hear, I am all for a group defending white people when we are being attacked without cause. I think that we as white are being held responsible for what a hand full of white southerners did years ago. I dont think its fair that the race card is thrown in just about every time its possible. Blacks have the NAACP,rev Jackson,and Al Sharpton. Latins have many watch dog groups defending their rights we just dont read alot about them because they dont rely on circus tactics to get their followers to riot or protest. The KKK has a history of being racist fools so I dont want to hear about them but I would like representation against falsely be dubbed racist

June 13, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Curious

Latins?

The ancient Roman senate causing much trouble for you?

June 13, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Be proud of all

I am white and the world is beautiful with all types of people! Kkk are so wrong! God made us all! Why only stick to white? When there are many beautiful color people! Kkk have always been mean to people.

June 13, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

Yet there is a huge movement to "help" African-American kids who were adopted by non-African-Americans to "get in touch with their blackness"?

Racism is wrong, but some of these comments remind me of the comments about Ann Romney "not working", then the response is that ALL women work. Positive and negative discrimination are both counterproductive, and there should be a lot less "minorities have a right to want to be with their own people yet whites should not want to" and more "let people be with who they want".

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bethany

The races need to stay seperate nuff said! About the time we started mixing with the blacks and eastern heathens is when humanirty really hit the skids.

With all the spanish and ebonics I hear these days sometimes I'm confused if I'm still in america or puerto rico!

God bless yall!

June 13, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • GayAtheist

They won't let Atheists, or Gay – Americans adopt highways or children.

To the KKK, I say, "Welcome to the club and stop whining."

June 13, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
      • James

Well, the one thing you have in common is they all want attention. The Internet is full of atheists complaining about how "they dont get a voice" or activists recruiting people on yahoo. I have never seen one incident of what you complain about. Gays don't need a highway, neither does the kkk, if I receive one more finger from some activist because "I won't give my time to respect his culture I'm going to lose it. I have been quiet to long, this is my nation to, and I am still the majority, it was a mistake to give you guys a second of attention, you ruin the news, ruin media because it has to "update to the times and become gay/atheist friendly, and have ruined schools. Even worse, when something bad happens, you blame the republicans, and any other majority that doesnt stand for your cause. I have watched behind the scenes of this movement, and any scientist/researcher that proves data other than what you want to hear, gets fired, I have seen this occur many times.

June 14, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • vp

"The races need to stay seperate nuff said!"

Thanks Bethany, for the most ignorant thing I've read all week.

June 13, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Bethany

June 13, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Wrenn_NYC

@Bethany "So you think black men should be able to have their way with white women and then just leave when the baby comes?

"

Like the white guy does?

I'd feel sorry for the girl, and hope she could learn to choose a better more reponsible mate.

But then, I work in corporate america, and two of my (white university educated) female associates are actually married to university educated career oriented black men.

Widen your horizons, Bethany. Color has nothing to do with whether a guy is a loser or not.

June 13, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

We don't need your hate-filled, ignorant "God bless ya'll." Take God out of your hateful comment – you do not represent Him.

June 13, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Bethany, you simple minded soul, I feel sorry for you. You don't seem to understand that diversity is what makes this country the wonderful place it is. I served in the military for 20 years and have visited many wonderful places and people. And yes, Latinos speak Spanish and some Blacks do use 'ebonics' but living in Texas... trust me: Whites have their dialect, too. And one more thing, darlin,' "humanirty" is not a real word. Peace!

June 13, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

So, there are a few decent women out there...

June 13, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Bethany

100% American woman here!

June 13, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Dave

Got any unmarried friends??? lol

June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

The races are not separate, very few people are truly only one race. Even among Europeans, there are many that the KKK folks would likely call non-white.

June 13, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • AGuest9

LOL, there is no such thing as hell.

June 13, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Harrys Putter

Bethany,

Join the human race or get off the planet.

June 13, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • x277

@Bethany, are you really this stupid or are you just messing with us?

June 13, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

LOL! Ebonics? Like the "dese, dose, dems and youz guys" I hear from a lot of white people on the street? Talk about not being able to speak the Queen's English correctly! White folks are not perfect Bethany, so stop sounding like they are. It only makes you look stupid and ignorant. Hysterical!

June 13, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. jj

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...

June 13, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Epidi

If anyone believes this line of crap, I've got a bridge or two for sale....

June 13, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • jj

Yea....kinda like joining a baseball team but saying you don't play baseball. These people coulda created the "Fraternal order of Otters"....or whatever, like the Elks, Eagles, Lions...etc...but no...they joined the KKK...nuff said.

June 13, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. unowhoitsme

Any group or person that hates another race, isn't "gentle". The KKK needs to go to a deserted island.

June 13, 2012 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. Zoglet

Thanks for the picture- finally we see the origin of the pointy tin foil hat wearers! 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
    • jj

Anyone who can put on an outfit like that...and not feel totally stu pid...has to be totally stu pid.

June 13, 2012 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Harrys Putter

Like the pope ?

June 13, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. Displacedmic

It seems to me at this point at least part of you has got to feel a little sorry for these guys.
    People are still joining the Klan... that's just sad.

June 13, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Epidi

Stupid is as stupid does....our kind are still afflicted with occasional spates of stupidity.

June 13, 2012 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  16. Thor

Funny.... I never saw a white bigot hate filled KKK member refuse help from a black man when he was over run in a firefight, hit in the leg, and carried outta there by the black man.... never never. White supremists are bigots, liars, cheats, thieves, and yes.... that is what the KKK is all about...lying, hate filled, bigotry. Yes, I am a white southerner.

June 13, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  17. ATLApplePie

"We do not burn the cross, we light the cross to show that Christ is the light of the world."...What a crcck of bull. I guess they firebomed blacks homes to light the path to heaven.

June 13, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • kirk

this kkk representative says they don't represent the "hate" group from the past. Let it go. What's the difference in this group and any of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson's groups? The new black panthers, the ACLU – any group that only represents one race – what's the difference. History shows all these groups as being hate groups. So, get over it – I think the KKK needs to rebrand itself – and if their message is that they are proud of their race and want to do goo things for their race – then go for it. There are all kinds of race groups trying to better their race.... My message to KKK – rebrand yourself and call yourself something else.

June 13, 2012 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
      • hchodnoff

Just for the record, the ACLU consists of Attorneys of all racial backgrounds. They represent all in cases of civil rights violations. They have even represented the KKK in a civil righrs court case I believe had to do with the right to march through a Jewish neighborhood. I may not always agree with them but I'd rather them be there ahan not.

June 13, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Mema

A whole h€ll of alot of difference! The kkk is known for lynchings, rape, murder, extreme violenc€. If it is just about being wh!te and proud, then why the ho©ds or confed€rate flag? Why cov€r the!r faces? Pick up trash because "it aint right". Yeah sure. The civil unr€st it would cause alone is enough to d€ny the request. That stretch of road would become a dumping ground. This is just a publ!city stun£.

June 13, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
      • jboh

You have no credibility. Did that guy lose the face hiding flap on his hoodie?

June 13, 2012 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
      • x277

@kirk, did you really just ask what is the different between the KKK and Jessie Jackson, or Al Sharpton?? Though I don't agree with the great lengths Jackson or Sharpton go to many times to prove "racial inequality" where in many cases doesn't exist, you can never accuse their "groups" or murdering, lynching or firebombing home's of innocent just because they were the the same race as them. The KKK has a long dark history of doing just that and one would be a fool to place them and the Rainbow Coalition and NAACP in the same category.

I do however agree with you is if the KKK has really changed, then the first thing they need to do is change their name, there is just too much stigma with that group that will never be erased. But while groups like the NAACP do allow people of all races to join, I highly doubt the KKK would allow anyone but whites to join even if they did change their name.

June 13, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Wrenn_NYC

@ kirk

"this kkk representative says they don't represent the "hate" group from the past"

IF you chose to continue to use the name, you have no right to complain about the history that that name is tied too.

If you really don't want to be seen as related to that group, choose a different name.

The only reason to continue the name, is to be seen as related. And as such, you inherit the history.

It's simple psychology.

June 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
      • sassysticks53

@kirk – it is very sad that you are in so much pain and so hateful. I pity you.

June 13, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • obama's mama

I believe the kkk. Give them a chance. And for goodness sakes them them adopt a highway.

June 13, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Simeon Namore

Oh yes–please do–"for goodness sake." Ah yes. The sake of goodness.

June 13, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
      • jboh

What goodness?

June 13, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
      • michael

let them adopt a highway so they can use it as a drag strip? and i mean that literally. you are a fool

June 13, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  18. David

hmmm, let's see... The kkk, a tiny little white supremacist hate group that hates blacks, asians, hispanics, Jews, catholics, and gays tells the media they don't hate anybody. um, okaaaaaaaayyyyy...

June 13, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • obama's mama

i think they like us catholics

June 13, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Epidi

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

June 13, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. whybs

The KKK reminds us of the Vatican!

June 13, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. saggyroy

What kind of people today would even ADMIT to being a KKK member? We are ALL Africans.

June 13, 2012 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
    • kirk

no we are not all africans.

June 13, 2012 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Epidi

Are you are one of those who believe the earth is only 7-9,000 yrs old?

June 13, 2012 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Epidi

The cradle of the human race. Yep, we are all African. But it's not just blacks they spout hate about, it any race other than white, & any religion (particularly Jews) other than thier own version of Christianity. I'm Pagan – & I was born & raised in the south. They'd (KKK) LOVE to burn me in the town square I'm sure.

June 13, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
      • Thor

Actually, we are all polynesian.

June 13, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Epidi

Thor – makes no diff to me really – whichever theory ascribed to. I know we (I'm caucasion) more than likely didn't start out white and we are all of the same species no matter how some want to fight it. We look different because of where our ancestors ultimatly chose to settle and the enviroment there shaped us and painted us over time. I read of a midochondrial DNA trail that led to a common ancestor of a full blood Native American & a Greek. Hows that for somebody's ggggggggggggg grandma getting out and about? 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
      • AmazedinFL

Even the idea of looking at someone's features and skin color and categorizing them as a specific pure race (pure ANYTHING) is purely unscientific and ignorant–not even reflective of the underlying DNA. The reality is that we're all a hodge-podge of ancestry.

June 13, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Bethany

I pray for the day when this country is all white. Its gotten a little "dark" in recent years

June 13, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
      • vp

That will never happen Bethany.

Does it make you sad?

June 13, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Harrys Putter

Your going to spend a lot of time on your knees for nothing.
        The rest of you posters can take it from there.

June 13, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
      • sassysticks53

Go get some counseling Beth. It may make you feel better about yourself. Self hate and loathing is just as destructive as hating others. Go get help!

June 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. portofino

What does it take to make these KKK people see that the Jesus Christ whose life they aspire to was not "white" as they are but one of the very Jews that they hate? The ignorance, or the willingness to ignore the truth, simply confounds me.

June 13, 2012 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. Equality for all

4000-5009 official members but millions of unofficial, everyday white racists.

June 13, 2012 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • christopher johnston

racists come in every size, shape and color, not just 'white'....

June 13, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. BushBush

That dude looks like a clown in that outfit. Well, he IS a clown, so that outfit fits him just right.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • saggyroy

Kinda looks like the pope.

June 13, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Parfin Woodell

They dont have a Klan-mobile.

June 13, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  24. starbucks

Anyone concerned about their "race" in the modern-day world are basically akin to the people around the time shortly after Columbus discovered the "New World" who still held on to the incorrect notion that the world was flat and sailing too far would cause you to fall off the edge. They are also akin to the people who thought doctors using penicillin and other various "new" medicines were agents of the devil and those who thought electricity was "Black Magic." All are victims of ignorant, antiquated ideas perpetuated by a lack of experience and/or education. Besides, science has already proven that soon, we're all going to be the same skin color. It's already starting to happen, so ignore the pleas of the "race purists." Human evolution > race.

June 13, 2012 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. stashe45

the SPLC is more racist than the new Klan

June 13, 2012 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Well at least you admit that the klan is racist – just not as racist as the SPLC? LOL!

June 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. don

In the bible, the Cross is the thing to boast about. I'm not boasting in anything else, not even my ethnicity. I just boast about the Cross, where Jesus died for all those who believe in him. I would not burn a cross. If the KKK, haven't forgot Jesus is Jewish and he was, he is and always will be.

June 13, 2012 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  27. James

I can see what they are saying, but the kkk has had 200 years to shred its rep, there is no way it will be able to accomplish any "good" within the rest of its hopefully short life. I disagree with the people who think we should all be defined as "humans". No, they are wrong, we have all grown to form fantastic cultures and empires. The Asians, the Indo-Europeans, the Semetics, the Africans, the native Americans, all have great cultures to be proud of, you can not define us as one people, rather you should say, many people united. Everyone has the right to be proud of the accomplishments of their people, and practice their cultures.

June 13, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  28. Erik Jameson

I think there should be no KKK, or Congressional Black Caucus, or affirmative action, or any other group or function that focuses on skin color.

June 13, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

i think we can all agree with that buddy.
      as soon as all the backdoor and under the table shenanigans die down, we can do that too.
      at least that's the plan, as far as i understand it.

June 13, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • kbinminny

Amen Erik – Of course the race hustlers and those that profit or garner votes from promoting racial divisions will never let it go.

June 13, 2012 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
      • sassysticks53

No one promotes racial divisions if there are none to promote. Unfortunately, racism still exists in America. And as long as it still exists, there will be those of us "hustlers" who will point it out. When bigotry, racism and hatred go away, the hustlers will go away too.

June 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • kirk

people have a right to form their own groups – call them anything they want. what is wrong is when the media and others actually recognize them and give them time, space, opportunity to spread their hate. In the case of the kkk – I think if they truly want to continue as a group supporting the white race – they will need to rebrand themselves. Interesting that all the black groups in America claim to do great things for their race – but I'm trying to find one that does really do positive things.

June 13, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
    • indylady

that is the smartest thing that i have read on these comments yet

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Parfin Woodell

No Puerto Rican festival ?
      No St Patricks day parade ?
      No Columbus day ?

I like diversity.

June 13, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  29. fromusofa

I am not white...but I like White people...specially white girls. I think KKK is justified in preserving white race's interest whatever they are , as long as they are not immoral, unethical and against the law of the land.

June 13, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

i think it's ridiculous that there would actually be a 'white race's interests'

there's human interest, but white race's interest? what does that even mean? more phil collins? more propellor hats? It's all fads and memes. There is human interests, there are individual interests, as for racial interests, that's all politics and smoke and mirrors. In other words, it's a tool for people to exploit on the ignorant, nothing more.

June 13, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
      • kbinminny

Do you disagree with the NAACP's mission? Hard to say yes but if you beleive what you say.....

June 13, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
      • 1nd3p3nd3nt

kbinminny, i didn't know what the naacp's mission was exactly, so i looked it up:

"The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination"

doesn't sound too bad, does it?
        personally, i hate their name. Sounds like it comes out of a mark twain novel. Is horrible, needs an upgrade 2.0 or something.

June 13, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Herby Sagues

You are right, but here's the catch. They've already done those things you say they shouldn't do.
      It's like saying "I'm OK with Nazism as long as they do not hurt Jews".

June 13, 2012 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  30. aric

Ha! They think Jesus was a white guy. Classic. I guess if you believe something because its written in a book, you might as well believe whatever picture of Jesus you see.

June 13, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  31. Smalltowner

Lets's see if I got this right.....They are not racist...they are separatetist....and they are looking out for the white race....God I feel so much better.

June 13, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

it's like they don't even know what the definition of racism is !

June 13, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
      • luciferjr

Someone tell that to the new black panthers.

June 13, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
      • 1nd3p3nd3nt

black panthers are racist too.
        It's slightly complicated, due to the fact their organization was in response to government sanctioned oppression against their race, but they are still racist and still should be condemned. But it is an important distinction to make.

June 13, 2012 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  32. 1nd3p3nd3nt

for any and all kkk members: if you think that race matters at all, you are racist. The black panthers, ANY group that thinks race is a factor, is racist.

being proud of being white is like being proud of your spleen. It is a false argument meant to divide and conquer. We are all on the same team, the team flag is made up of more than one color.

multiculturalism is the future, it is reality, to think of it as an enemy is to think of ourselves as the enemy. We are all on the planet brothers and sisters. United we stand, divided we fall.

open your ears, open your eyes, open your mind. We all bleed red.

June 13, 2012 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

i happen to know i'm right, lmao, not that anyone would believe a word you say anyway, lol

June 13, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

doesn't make me feel good per se, is just a simple conclusion from years of studying humanity.
      travel, meet people, the more you learn the more you realize we're all the same. Chances are if you're racist, you haven't traveled much at all.

not that traveling is the cure, mind you, it's about looking at the world around us and understanding it. What part of race makes whites, or browns, or reds, or blacks, or yellows superior? It's like being proud of your spleen.

please, educate me. Inform me of why and how race is a factor in ANYTHING important in life at all. Go on , i'm all ears...

June 13, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

go on, name something a white man can do that a black man can't.
      oh, and in case you didn't know, black people can get sunburned too.

June 13, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • even more

it is man and if tou were white you should know. most business owners, taboo as it may be, wont hire blacks. and you can argue it, for aeguments sake. to win back your precious affection of the blacks, but all of us other white people know, they arent even being considered for the job. so yes, race does play an importaant role in haw we are viewed, stereotypical as it may be, it does exist

June 13, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
    • even more

so u wanted an example of how its beneficial to be white, there it is buddy. im proud to be white. im
      proud that people an look at me and say by god, hes better than most

June 13, 2012 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

lmao, so your argument is racists won't hire blacks, so it's a factor then?!
      you are such a fool it is ridiculous !

brother, i don't want to insult you, i want to help you. The people that led you down this path, they are not well intentioned. They may treat you well, but know it is by how we treat others that we ourselves are judged. I do not speak from religion, or ivy towers, but of real life, brother.

it is not all a game. It is not us against them. Our team is what we make of it. God, reality, whatever name you want to give it, put us here together.

If our enemy wants to kill us, there are three things we can do: we can kill our enemy first. we can run from our enemy. we can make our enemy our friend.

together we are stronger, you know this on some level. It doesn't have to stop there. Some people are jerks, it is true. Some are failures and some are negative bombs that effect everyone around them in negative ways. But none of this is due to race. We are all imperfect. Help each other. Teach each other. There IS a better way.

peace. I wish you well. Remember pride is a deadly sin, brother. Humility teaches us true strength. You won't realize it until you're on the other side of it, but it's the truth. Only the truly strong can be humble.

June 13, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

hey genius, there are also plenty of disease that whites fall prey to that blacks don't either.
      it's not just lopsided.

that's the point. There are pluses and minuses to EVERY race. That's why we're all different, yet all the same.

June 13, 2012 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

says the person who thinks racists not hiring another race is an example that race matters!

i'm still waiting for a single good argument from you buddy. You can't deliver. Don't get mad at me.
      You said you think for yourself, if that's the case, what made you EVER think race mattered?

June 13, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

if you're a racist simply because of sickle cell affecting blacks more often, i will be very disappointed.

June 13, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

i see a little bit where you're coming from. The whole disney comment and whatnot, trust me brother, i am NOT a liberal 'let peace rule us all' type. Marine corps. I have no problem with killing people. Not sure if i like that about myself to be honest.

I believe in violence. I also believe that we're all stupid, all of us, even myself. Some of us realize it, some of us don't, that's the only difference.

we're on a rock with water, spinning around a giant explosion constantly going off, somewhere in the void of space. We are the only known life in existence and the only species capable of critical thought so far. To waste it on such trivial things as what color our skin is, is defeatist and counter-productive. It is itself a tragedy.

that is why i speak out to you. No agenda other than wanting to build a better tomorrow. I am just feeling in a mood and decided to reach out to you. On a cnn chat room, i know, pointless, right?

Still, i'd rather die knowing i tried, than simply rolling over and giving up.

June 13, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
      • Paintpaintpaint

The fact that you even think about these things and self-question shows that you have a mind that loves to explore. I hope you take a really good philosophy class someday – I think you'd enjoy it. In the meantime... good for you. We need more people like you (not that you 'can kill', but that you THINK about what that means in your life). Thanks for your honest comment... good luck to you!

June 13, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  33. NorCalMojo

Joining the KKK is an antisocial act in itself. They went out of their way to identify with an icon of evil. It's like satanists, they say they're misunderstood and play victim, but they're the ones who chose to align themselves with a cultural icon for evil. Anyone in the KKK is in the same bag. Joining the KKK is a self destructive appeal for attention.

The KKK's place in US culture is pretty well defined. If it's not about hanging black people from a tree, think of a new name..

June 13, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Sinead

Every comment you make is more reportable than the last.

June 13, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Drew

I've reported this one and I suggest others do the same. If people want to read trash like this they can just go to the KKK website

June 13, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Drew

1st amendment also covers CNN's right to remove hateful trash from their comment boards. People like you are very selective about freedoms

June 13, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • NorCalMojo

I'm blond and blue actually, and considering emigrating because I don't really want to live in North Mexico myself.

That I can get my head around, but the KKK drug people out of their homes and hung them from trees. I find that disgusting. I would never be associated with a group that did that.

If you want to be proud, be proud,. I love my heritage, warts and all. I would never condemn pride in being white, but if you insist on clinging to disgraced symbols like the KKK, you're just going to end up making us all look bad. They weren't exactly the high point in the history of white people.

June 13, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
      • me138

Don't ever vote democrat than.

June 13, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  34. Mommers

I don't like the KKK but I think the black panthers are way scarier!

June 13, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Well you wouldn't think that if you were black

June 13, 2012 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  35. Godgrey Marquardt

"We just want to be with white people" So who's stopping you????????????????????????????????

June 13, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • sox320

A reverse racist really doesn't make any sense if you think about it. You realize you are just rambling with no coherency whatsoever?

June 13, 2012 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  36. Pokernicus

Imperial wizard?? What?

June 13, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  37. flimflam74

They speak of Christ as if he was a white guy. Statistically speaking he was probably very dark skinned

June 13, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  38. James

It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it." Amen to that !

June 13, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  39. dachaotic1

He said Latino, not Hispanic. It's good to know the leader of the KKK calls us by the more preferable term of the two.

June 13, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  40. even more

i dont get it

June 13, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  41. Kris

Every single one of them vote republican.

Enough said.

June 13, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

You are probably right.

June 13, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • even more

people dont unserstand the difference between nationalism and racism anymore. apparently now if youre white its taboo to love america AND your race

June 13, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
      • guest

not to the exclusion of others ...you must represent the new KKK. A HIGHER THREAD COUNT IN THEIR PILLOW CASES

June 13, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Mitchell1660

No one is saying a person shouldn't love their race; there would be a problem with that person if they didn't. But to hate other races with equal vigor - especially the black race and the Jews - is something entirely different.

June 13, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
      • even more

'especially the blacks and jews' is a racist statement. its showing preferential treatment due to the color of their skin. listen to yourself

June 13, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
      • even more

howbout 'eapecially the whites' is that a racist statement? why beause it shows preference to whites instead of All others? (who ate in fact the majority(coloreds))

June 13, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Pokernicus

Jewish people are not a race! They are members of a religious group. Do you consider Christians to be a particular race? Muslims? In fact, members that belong to all of these religious groups tend to be of varying races.

June 13, 2012 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
      • marcia63

well even more... apparently you don't know what the term nationalism means.... loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially: a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups... nazism and fascism were/are nationalistic... and racist..... unlike patriotism, nationalism is not exactly a positive trait...

June 13, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  42. bp

The guy could be equally convincing as a spokesman for the Southern GOP.

June 13, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

The following table shows the change in the Klan's estimated membership over time.[110] (The years given in the table represent approximate time periods.)
      Year Membership
      1920 4,000,000[111]
      1924 6,000,000
      1930 30,000
      1980 5,000
      2008 6,000

This directly corresponds to the increasing membership in the new GOP.

June 13, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
      • guest

@even more... perfect example of how ignorance eventually reveals itself.......spell much.

June 13, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  43. even more

this isnt about race, its about america. screw racism. black and white must unite!! the battle is at the border and we need to keep rhe mexicans out.

June 13, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • mexican

This guy dosnt know his history ay man America is a diverse country full of different cultures and races and its gonna stay like that whether you like it or no

June 13, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  44. gl

A kinder, gentler (Klan).

How oxymoronic.

June 13, 2012 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

Yes the KKK membership has dropped as its members have shifted in to the new Republican Party.

June 13, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Lisa

You are so right.

June 13, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  45. Joseph

If you need evidence of white christian terrorism, look at the Klan.

June 13, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • kirk

this group, like many others completely misrepresent christianity....same as naacp, black panthers, any group serving under Al and Jesse – the list is endless. just because a group "claims" to be christian isn't always what it seems. Actions speak – not words...again just look at Jesse and Al – the most non-christian two blacks in America.

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  46. Kevin

If you think about it, this is a pretty awesome commentary on modernity and secular pressure in the developed world. The Klu Klux Klan appears, even for brief moment, to have been so marginalized by the past 50 years of public discourse they've morphed into a small "civic-minded" fellowship that would rather pick up trash on highways than publicly endorse bigotry and hatred. Granted, racism is alive and well in many parts of the country–and I'm under no illusions that this one grand wizard speaks for the entire Klan, but maybe its a symbol of hope that it didn't take a law against being racist to put the breaks on a lot of the abhorrent behavior that used to be regularly and unapologetically promoted by this group.

June 13, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

if that is the case ...perhaps they can use a name change.( I.e., a kinder gentler "Nazi" ...doesn't quite work)

June 13, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

Republicans are great at this
      1- climate change -> recurrent flooding
      2- estate tax-> death tax
      3-etc

June 13, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • jrod

Kevin, i know what youre TRYING to say and somewhere in your argument it works. But not for the Klan. Look at their website, i just did, read the whole thing.... Sounds like change to you? if so, please read about wolves dressed in sheeps clothing.... Just like the media, the rich, Any industrial Complex leader and the Politicians the Supreme Court allowed them to buy, .....this new Klan is hoping for more people like you to not do Any research on your own and just drink the kool-aid while making instant and ill informed statements like yours. you and people like you MUST stop following and start defining yourselves. Try it sometimes.

June 13, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jenny L

I went to the klan's website to "educate" myself. What a joke!! I have never in my life read so much crap. In one paragraph, they say they do not hate, then the very next sentence they call other races mongerals and want them to go back to where they came from. Wow! I wasted my time but you will never convince me that these people have changed. Spewing hate and crap is all they are about!!!

June 13, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  48. Tom

I liked the Neil Young reference. Good work.

June 13, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  49. jk

"The current Klan is not one cohesive group, and iconsidered [sic] to be one of the traditional white supremacist groups, which emerged in the the civil rights era."

A key fact buried at the end of the story by a journalist who does not understand her own reporting. There is no "the" Klan. There are various groups using the name, with different ideas, intents and methods centered on racial supremacy and/or separatism. The sentence itself of course makes no sense because of this truth; it says there is no cohesive group, then continues referring to it as a group.

June 13, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  50. Nice try

I hate to tell you KKK people this.. but Jesus was NOT a white man. He was a small brown man of Palestine descent, just like the rest of the the land, including Israel.. You are then following a brown man's teachings of peace and love towards all- and historically you have failed to uphold those values. Jesus was not white, and did not uphold racial purity ideas at any time. Get a grip and realize the basic truths there.

June 13, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenny L

Right on!!!

June 13, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Gadlie

The funny things is, Jesus could have been literally any color. That area was in a very real sense, the crossroads of the world. At the time Jesus lived (if he did), people from East Asia, Africa and yes, even Europe were frequent visitors. And, yes, that means that they certainly left their genes behind...

June 13, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  51. Melody

A kinder, gentler Hitler?

June 13, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  52. Mows

New klan sounds cool, will be looking into joining.

June 13, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  53. Tom

I'd rather have KKK cleaning up the highways than Black Panthers at the voting centers! What would you rather have? I know where Eric Holder and Obama stand. They don't like clean highways!

June 13, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • chefitup

If they are really doing it for clean highways and not publicity, why not do it anonymously?

June 13, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  54. bananaspy

There is nothing kind or gentle about thinking you are better than everyone else because of what you look like. Somebody should sit all these morons down in a science class and explain how skin pigmentation works, and how our appearance is determined by our genetic makeup, which we have absolutely no control over.

June 13, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Colorblind

I work in a predominately black environment and I do not discriminate against anyone, nor have I ever despite the fact I'm constantly called racial slurs, I constantly get singled out for every little thing, etc...etc...Blacks need to let it go just as much as everyone else. We will never rid our planet of racism until we are all 1 color or we let go of our racial pride. Morgan Freeman put it best, to get rid of racism, we need to just stop talking about it. Just look it up "Morgan Freeman on Black History month." Our history, whether it is White history, Black history or Spanish history is just that...History...AMERICAN history! We all should be united as one instead of this group against this group or that group against that group. We're in an age of change and great hardships, we'll never make it out on top, as a country, if we do not start working together. Lets focus on what is important, our children.We're all grown adults here for the most part I would assume, think about it, do you want your kids growing up like you did? Going through life constantly getting hated on because the color of their skin? No, you don't, now stop talking about it.

June 13, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  55. Bill

If I was the KKK grand po ball r whatever they call him, trying to make my bunch of racists sound kinder and gentler I would not partner up with the chatholic church thats for sure....think about the history of both, the atrocities committed by both through thier history. I agree they are both "christian" if that is a good thing? ....freedom from religion and racism please...the dark ages are over.

June 13, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  56. south4evr

I have never seen this much hate dished up before!! All in the name of denouncing a group that they dislike because of it's history of hate!!

Ya'll stated that republicans and democrats have changed over history. Maybe the klan has too!! Hell, let them pick up trash on the road side. You can hate them even more when you see them out the car wiindow!! What an opportunity!!! 😛

June 13, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I love that emoticon. How do you do that?

June 13, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
      • south4evr

Colon, dash and a capital P...not hard 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I doubt any KKK would be brave enough to pick up litter roadside...unless they had a large group they would get surrounded and shouted out at the very least. Really can you see some guy in a white sheet alone pickin up litter? probly get run over withn minutes...

June 13, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
      • OG Trance

The robes and hoods are strictly ceremonial.

June 13, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  57. Lisa

They say the Klan has a membership of 4,000 to 5,000 in 2012. That is SO FALSE. The Klan is much much larger than that today. They have infiltrated the various branches of government, they are on the police forces, they are the nation's district attorneys, they are the nation's mayors, they have technically taken off the robes and put on suits and police uniforms with guns on their hips. This is much more dangerous than the 50s and 60s because they are basically undetectable.

June 13, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • south4evr

Check for pods!!! ;-P

June 13, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  58. Mike

Compared to the nastiness and veiled racism coming from the Republican party, the KKK is definitely starting to look "kinder". At least they are up-front about their racism.

June 13, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

The KKK and the Republican Party has literally switched places. The Republicans are the new KKK in SUITS.

June 13, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  59. Dizzyd

Lighting crosses on fire to 'show that Christ is the light of the world'...but why do it on somebody's lawn? Hate's no good, but I think you can be just as proud to be white as any other race. Although we should all be esp. proud of being part of the 'human' race!

June 13, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  60. joe

5000 members? the homeless outnumber them..

June 13, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • neff

poor as? wips

June 13, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

They larger than that. They are just in SUITS and POLICE UNIFORMS now.

June 13, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  61. Jenny L

The comments written by Powderhorn1 sound pretty but its all a bunch of bull!! We should love and respect all races as our Lord loves us. It's so sad when we can't love one another.

June 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JGGM

A kinder gentler KKK? That is like saying a kinder, gentler Al Queda! Idiots! The KKK is a un designated terrorist group. Nothing less.

June 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caucasian from Birmingham

KKK = racists.

June 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

Did you read the article?

June 13, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • OG Trance

Did you know that the Ku Klux Klan was originally a Christian organization setup to help battered women? They ended up going out of business. Several years later, a bunch of racists banded together under that name and changed the purpose of the organization.

June 13, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  63. Penny Nickels

A kinder, gentler Klan is about the same as a kinder, gentler Nazi.

June 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  64. David

Isn't this cute? Kal-Keda in Klanmerica. You know Osama also tried the "not" rebranding rebranding. Look where it got him. Look at Powderhorn's comment:

June 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Dustin Goldsen

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." -MLK

June 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in SA

Yeah...but then along comes La Raza, the New Black Panther Party, etc. and it all goes in hell in a hand-basket ONLY when a group of Whites wante to have a White Power/Pride group.

Change the color...if one is racist, they all are racist.

June 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  66. brotherjukebox2012

hey they offered jesse jackson a membership!

June 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  67. AK-47

you got a laugh out of me, I do have to admit. I think it's all so full of energy, perhaps we could use this instead of Middle Eastern Petroleum, and add it to the list of Alternative Energy Sources with wind, solar,,,, (safer than nuclear, I think anyway!) We just need to harness this energy sparked here in this "interaction". Good laugh though.

June 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  68. wheels

a kinder klan is a big joke. they r just as racist now as they were b4.

June 12, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • .48 Taurus

May David Allan Coe roll over in his grave.

June 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • OG Trance

He's still alive.

June 13, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  69. OrganizedConfusion

Well, feel free to join them.

June 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. OrganizedConfusion

A kinder, gentler KKK is like saying a disease ridden musquito or cotton mouth snake won't bite. They both are not to be trusted, period. Neither serves a constructive or meaningful purpose. Only a foolish 1d10t would trust them.

June 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  71. t3chn0ph0b3

Top 4 Reasons the Klan should be allowed to adopt a highway:

1. I would have a great new place to get rid of my garbage.
    2. The state of Georgia could deem the same mile-long stretch as the "Malcolm X Memorial Highway" just for fun.
    3. Klansmen would be adding pretty shades of fluorescent orange and yellow to their currently monochromatic wardrobe.
    4. Members could get the entirely new experience of picking up all different colors of trash instead of just the white variety.

June 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  72. exqzme

Oh I see!

They are the NEW KKK! I apologize sirs. You don't hate... you are just proud to be white.

Like the NEW Black Panthers! I owe them an apology as well. They don't hate... they are just proud to be black.

No ... actually I still think very little of you guys. But hey ... maybe you sell your swan song to someone else!?!?!

Lotta people buying that sort of thing these days.

June 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Bawse

Lets talk about how the white man stole this country from the Natives.. brought slaves over to do their work because they're lazy.. yadda-yadda-blah.. – Lol.. white ppl love to re-write history to their liking.. ALWAYS.

June 12, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Seeker of truth

Wow

June 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • AK-47

Wow! something good just came on tv, gotta go.

June 12, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  75. SKS

What KKK did to black people in rural Mississipi, Georgia, Alabama and many southern places from 1860s to around early 1900s, only God knows. And KKK was not friendly at all. They left many black people dead and many many sad and traumitised. Nothing good about KKK then and not in 2012.

June 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • noteaparty4me

Bingo!

June 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • HMB

I dont' understand being proud to be any race.. It's a factor of genetics. You had nothing to do with it. Why not be proud of what you have accomplished or better yet, how you treat others? That is something that you have control over.

June 12, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Novowel4me

It didn't end in the early 1900's, it was going strong right through the 1970's.

June 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • SKS

Hey Samantha or whoever you are, lets say what KKK did then when they were terrorising and killing black people was to you and your brothers, sisters, sons, daughters and friends. I know you don't care but what if it was you? Think about it.

June 13, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

And what did corporate America do to scabs? And what did the Masons do to people who crossed them? How about that Inquisition, or the Crusades, huh?

Many many MANY groups have murderous pasts. To me these folks are capitalizing on the shock value of the name KKK and really have a different agenda.

June 13, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  76. Rich

If they aren't doing it for the publicity, etc why adopt a highway? Why not just go pick up trash without doing so?

June 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simstim

but I suppose the NAACP could get accepted and a front page article on their good public deeds. Meanwhile, a local "club" is trying to help their local community, which happens to be the deep south, yes, that's not to be denied. Why then is that frowned upon? They are with a long history of shotty tradition and ill mannered acts, but they have the right, American Amendment Rights to do this and be approved... who denied the request?

June 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gadlie

American Amendment Rights? What does that mean? Do you even know?

June 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tara

Since when has setting people on fire or hanging them been considered "ill-mannered"??? Yes, it's extremely rude and generally frowned upon to torture and murder others.

SIGH.

June 12, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • AK-47

This group got hot quick! Didn't it? This conversation is on Fire! no pun intended, seriously.

June 12, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Tara

I facepalmed so hard during this article that I have a handprint on my face. This article gave us gems such as "I wonder why they characterize us as a hate group? Who do we hate?" and "We do this even though we know we will be hated and scorned, we sacrifice and serve for what's right..." Are they now so illiterate that they cannot read their own history to understand why people hate them? No, you do not burn crosses to show that Jesus is the light of the world, you burn crosses because you are a bunch of ignorant, close-minded, hateful white people.

This quote underlines their entire problem: "It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it." No, you really, really don't understand, do you?

June 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  78. maestra730

What a horribly inappropriate headline. Shame on you, CNN. It's a slap in the face to everyone who was ever terrorized, beaten, or killed by the KKK, no matter how long ago it occurred. Jeez, don't you people have any editors over there??

June 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanW

I think the term "tongue in cheek" applies to the headline.

June 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc Ock

I think the question mark at the end of the headline demonstrates "tounge in cheek"

June 13, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  79. noteaparty4me

I used to believe that until I saw the picture of Emmit Till in his coffin that long time ago and now Travon Martin lying on the ground yards from his front door in a pool of blood, shot dead, holding iced tea and skittles. What did they call that, walking while black? They can get away with it and they do. Nothing has changed. I too sing America! I am your darker brother!

June 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  80. DanW

The KKK doesn't hate, they fear. Losers who, rather than improving themselves, instead choose to blame other, easily identifiable people, for their own shortcomings. These are not the people who made America, or who will sustain it. They play in their fancy robes while the world moves on without them. Just my opinion.

June 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

spot on DanW. best post I have ever read against the KKK.

June 13, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  81. Me

Guess they want to change KKK to mean Kind Karing Klowns?

June 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Karl

Anthropologically speaking he would have been much darker skinned than the church would have us believe. If he was white he would have stuck out like a sore thumb when the romans were looking for him.

June 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nova Scotia

Exactly, Karl. Same with Apostle Paul.

June 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodan

why do you think they found him; he was standing his ground

June 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Doc Ock

When the spokesman of the group uses the term, "That aint right", you know their argument is all down hill from there.

June 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karl

I laughed 😀

June 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • noteaparty4me

I am ROFLMAO!

June 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • AK-47

how do I add that smiley face?! LOL

June 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  84. t3chn0ph0b3

Yeah. The white man has really had a rough go of it for the past five centuries, huh?

June 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc Ock

Yeah...it has been rough huh? Nothing but being held back 🙂

June 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodan

You think its easy trying to fight all those indians on two continents, then putting in all that time making up treaties; and who pays for transporting all those people from africa, and thinking up chores for them to do? What about having to melt down all that gold and (more expense) send back to europe. Think of all those lonely sailors risking their lives, and the colonialists forced to spend all that time away from the streets of London, Paris and Madrid.
      All that killing, raping and stealing didnt come easy.

June 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • HardFacts

and teaching black people how to farm, helping them improve on straw huts, inventing everything, supporting minorities through welfare and affirmative action, making wasted donations to hait, giving black countries basic sanitation. A white child stranded on an island at birth would get more done than blacks did in 10,000 years

June 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Eric D.

This is disgusting.

June 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  86. t3chn0ph0b3

These guys know that Christ was a middle eastern Jew, right?

June 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodan

most of them get all of their information from what is written on beer cans

June 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Dr Bill

Question: Why was the KKK never labeled a terriost organization? I'm pretty sure the Black Panthers were on that list.

June 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodan

whats a "terriost" organization?

June 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Loyal Northern Democrat

The Democrats were the original party of slavery who formed the KKK in response to the Democrats killing the Replublican Lincoln.

June 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • lovinghettobooty

they need to start by changing their name.

June 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rodan

How about the "George Zimmermans" ?

June 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denverboy

Im not sure Booth was a Demoract..he was definatly anti-abolitionnist.....But the DEMS of the time were not the same as they are now and that goes for the GOP as well

June 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Loyal Northern Democrat

Will they be different in 3 or 4 days? Time is not an excuse.

June 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rafael

How times have changed.

June 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • MC in TX

It is valuable to remember that it was the Republican Party that led the way in disenfranchising the black community in the late 19th and early 20th century. After emancipation blacks had risen to positions of power throughout the Republican Party, holding important offices, even a governorship. Blacks were almost exclusively Republicans in the 19th century. But the whites managed to successfully drove out blacks almost completely from the Republican Party. That is why, even today, blacks are predominantly Democrats. Though the Democratic Party has had wildly racist factions at various times, those efforts were never as wide-ranging as those of the GOP.

June 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loyal Northern Democrat

I will always stay Democrat, even with the expolits of the Kennedys, the fact that our party's president killed more people at one time, twice, with the atomic bombs, that we empowed handouts while Johnson actually made the biggest gains in racial equality.

June 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Someone you probably don't know

This gets people in trouble from time to time, but I've been known to do somethings without the state's permission. I've been known to walk down our street, picking up cans, limbs that were blown in people's yards, etc. I don't really ask anything in return, just that people do the same within reason, and no I'm not a self proclaimed klansmen. I'm just some dude, and I know a bit about how the klan started in Mississippi. Originally, it was a group of Jewish people in certain areas around here who wanted to help put a stop to some of the serious crime and things that were going on. Some folk later on gave them the bad wrap. I wish to remain anonymous for a few political reasons, but I think you get the drift of what happened, at least around here anyway.

June 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Denverboy

If your of color..make sure your car has plenty of gas and is in good repair when traveling this streach of roadway.....One just never knows...Hitler said he just wanted to be a good neightbor to Poland..well we all know how that played out....yea goor repair and lots of gas.......

June 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Josh

These days, they actually sound like more pleasant company than your average Tea Party meetup.

June 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  92. TruthHurts

White people need to get their pride back and save this country. A certain group ruins schools and spreads rampant crime. Not their fault- it's white people's fault for being weak. For the sake of all races in the US, whites need to do what they do best- get a civilized society humming again. Certain people are genetically less intelligent and we need to accept this reality.

Look at the pattern- Europe is civilized, South Africa was civilized up until 20 years ago. Compton, Detroit, Haiti, Jamaica, Somalia, Ethiopa....not so much.

Certain people are very nice when they are on a leash, and we will be very grateful when they entertain us during the summer olympics and NBA finals. But letting them share our public schools, propping them up so they can breed like crazy and dilute our populationn- this will be the ruination of America and the civilized western world.

June 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Powderhorn1

Like I said read the truth.

June 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Powderhorn1

There are none so blind as those who will not see so I will keep you in prayer.

June 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nice try

@TruthHurts. Sorry buddy, I have seen too many white rednecks living with their trailers and pickup trucks and listening to country music and losing their teeth. Whites ARENT superior to any others. Just the facts man.
      Also, as far as being diluted out... that is just the way it is. Face it, your white race IS doomed to be assimilated. Resistance is Futile. You will join the Collective. Even if we dont want to, we have to deal with you racist idjits.. and you still will be assimilated.
      "You can run; you can hide; but in the end, we will hump you" 😀

June 13, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

We are saving this country
      Thats why idiots like you dont have any power

June 13, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  93. Realdirect

The still look like damn clowns...for over 110 years.

June 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • rafael

Don't worry, we all know you are all about love.

June 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I think Ill believe 200 years of history before Ill listen to your 5 year old crappy geocities blog

June 13, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  94. chris516

They are a disgrace to the State of Georgia.

If they want to be somewhere, they should live by Bull Connor's grave.

June 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • AGrey

My heritage is in my culture, not my race. And I welcome anyone of any race to embrace my culture and become a part of it.

June 13, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Paintpaintpaint

Sound full of hate to me...

June 13, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Dont compare me to you you toothless inbred cousin humper

June 13, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  95. that's a reflection on them, not you.

are they trying to intimidate people from that section for some reason?

June 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Unknown

I don't know why they insist on keeping a name that responsible for so much raids, kidnappings, and murder. I mean they really want to reform, they would start out by renouncing name that has such an evil reputation.

June 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yep

that's exactly what I was thinking the whole tim.e

June 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Brian from Washington

I wonder how many people have died or been tortured at the hands of the Klan. Try putting a smiley face on that one.

June 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Powderhorn1

The bigger question is how many poor white southenours were tortured and killed during the radiacal resonstruction that took place after the civil war? What about the virtue of women who were under constant abuse and raped by bestial renegade slaves. No one wants to talk about that but I will tell you the Klan protected the south from renegade slaves, carpet baggers and scaliwags who made it a mission to rape, kill, pilage and burn what they could not steal so bad mouth the Klan for defending the lives of these people as to do so is to blasphemy our soldiers who protect the helpless in other lands from the same.

June 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nice try

@Powderhorn. Sounds more like a karmic backlash. I believe you all got hoist on your own petards. You took black slaves, raped their women... sounds only right that they would do some of the same back to you. I guess this means that one of those 'scalawags' was your ancestor. Awwww....

June 13, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
      • AGrey

And when they weren't defending innocent white people, they were honing their skills by lynching innocent black people.

June 13, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Paintpaintpaint

"the virtue of women who were under constant abuse and raped by bestial renegade slaves"? Seriously? No... SERIOUSLY? OK, I can tell you are a man of limited intelligence who has been reading KKK literature. Calm down. Breathe. You guys LOST the Civil War, now get over it. It was 150 years or so ago. This is the year 2012. People are people. The whole 'pride' thing comes into play because the white community looked down on or repressed whole non-white communities. The 'pride' encouraged their children to believe in themselves and make better choices. It was good for ALL of us. Stop worrying about the 'virtue' of women. Geez. Get a life.

June 13, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
      • 3729 DIANA

Keep telling yourself that "Birth of a Nation" was only a movie....It's only a movie....It's only a movie....

June 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Nathan K

Haha wizard it's like Harry Potter

June 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  99. nc1965

There is no such thing as a kinder gentler K K K. If they don't hate anymore, prove it.

June 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • king

Isn't that what they're trying to do?

June 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Al-qeda is just like the klan. they "help" the poor, they "help" the homeless. Man Powderhorn1, if you read up on the "good" things Al-qeda did, you'd probably want to join them too. After all, what terrorist organization spends 100% of their time terrorizing? It's like asking, what liar spends 100% of their time lying. What con artist spends 100% of their time conning? You can't succeed as a deceiver if you ALWAYS deceive. You gotta throw some "good" in there. The Klan-sympathizers try to use Christianity to give them a buffer? But should we accept the klan's evil just because good may inadvertently come out of it? HEAVEN FORBID IT NOT!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • peter

Govt needs to have a long talk with you.....

June 13, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  100. Dieyoung

They are still the KKK.... What else needs to be said?

June 12, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |