Anderson Cooper says he's gay, happy and proud
July 2nd, 2012

Anderson Cooper says he's gay, happy and proud

(CNN) - In a lengthy e-mail message to the Daily Beast's Andrew Sullivan that was posted to the site on Monday, CNN's Anderson Cooper comes out publicly as gay.

Sullivan, who says he has counted Cooper as a friend for more than two decades, writes in the article that he asked Cooper to weigh in on a recent Entertainment Weekly piece that examined the trend of gay people coming out in a "more ... matter-of-fact way" than in the past. (Sullivan, who is openly gay and an advocate of same-sex marriage, says he asked for Cooper's opinion "for reasons that are probably obvious to most.")

And in an e-mailed response, which Sullivan says the "Anderson Cooper 360" anchor gave him permission to post, Cooper writes that he's thought about the topic over the years, and has decided to be clear about the fact that he’s gay.

Cooper says he refrained from being so straightforward in the past because he was trying "to maintain some level of privacy in my life," for both personal and professional reasons.

"As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn't matter," Cooper writes. "I’ve stuck to those principles for my entire professional career, even when I’ve been directly asked 'the gay question,' which happens occasionally."

Read the full post on CNN's Marquee blog

1. laydpioneer

I am sickened by this. Of course he's gay. All the good ones are all committing an abomination

July 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • iReadTheBible

If you're referring to Leviticus, please bear in mind that this country was founded on the principle of freedom to practice whatever religion one chooses and to not be harassed just because i do not agree with one of the thousands of different sects of the Christian religion, many of which cannot agree on a single thing, let alone an entire book.

So please, next time you are about to spout some frivolous nonsense about it being against God's will and whatnot (leaving aside the entire question as to whether He might change his mind or nor, or how you asked him) please remember that you do not want me to come knock on your door preaching the wonders of Ra and asking you why you haven't converted to worship the sun god.

July 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nellie cabo

I am one of Anderson Cooper's fan,I'm was not surprised to hear that he's gay,but i have no idea that he is either,anyway,it doesn't change ,I like him even more.Anderson,you're really a strong and brave hearted person.

July 3, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shannon l

Just be yourself, wheather gay or straight. just live and be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • tj

Thank you. I like you just dont care. Just be a good human and live.

July 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. xy

Now if only his show would come out of the closet too...

oops did I say that out loud? :)

July 3, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jonute

Let's see: One of the world's best war corespondents (not just my opinion, but also that of countless other military men and women who've served alongside him;) his sense of humor is contagious and never mean or cold; he is starkly more fair and balanced than other newspeople hope to be and he is one of the most engaging people in America, if not the World. I had no idea he was or wasn't gay and never gave a damn, But you gotta say: His "coming out" if that's what you have to call it, just exudes class!

July 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Garland Smith

Bravo Anderson!!! You've once again, shown elegance and integrity in your recent well stated announcement. You are the best reporter on TV, and you continue to 'hold the bar high' with your amazing style! Thanks to you, people appreciate my white hair and baby blues too! Rock on!!

July 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael Thomas

I am happy my gaydar still works right. Ha no matter what Anderson we love you and I will watch you more now then ever before. Just because you are a joy to hear reporting the news. I am a very proud American today because we have one more amazing person to add to what most gay people call "The Family" Mr. Cooper you keep rockin the baby blues and the news.

July 3, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. SMC

I am heterosexual; you are gay. I could not do anything to help the thousands of American children that daily face abuse for being gay. I certainly could not do anything for the children outside of America. Sir, I think you have helped the world and maybe by doing so, break more “walls” than “hetero” or “gay.” This small place called Earth does not need hate. She needs attention.

July 3, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Richard McCrea

I told my friends, family, everyone when I was twenty four because a honesty approach in all things was inkeeping with my personality. There are always ways to justify keeping a secret, but I am sure you will not look back with regret.

You are a likeable person and a STAR in every sense of the world. When I was a child, the only gay person I knew (on TV) was Liberace and he wasn't a person I identified with. Young people seeing gay people in all slices of life will help them see how 'normal' a thing it really is. First they have self-acceptance. Society is waking up and acceptance from others is really something most gay people can expect. Despite what all the people who want to control your life want you to believe, being gay is as normal as any other minority.

July 2, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Well talented people

Well talented people are not always perfect for somebody.
    Oprah opened up what happened to her, it was brave too.

Anyway, I am happy to have work together with Anderson Cooper anytime,

If I can.

May be I have to open up I don't mind to have works with gay people at all because
    they don't do sexual harassment to me but sorry to say, I may have to mind about lesbian people to protect myself.

because I am not.

July 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sherrie125

You are one of CNN's best newscasters. I'm sorry if your private life is an issue. It should be a non-issue. What other people think is not your problem – it is theirs. As usual, you are keeping them honest. Thank you for your integrity.

July 2, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steven Giovangelo

Thank you Anderson! You ROCK!!! We love you! xx 00

July 2, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wolf Blitzer

I've known it for years.

July 2, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMC

Unnecessary disrespect for a colleague. But I have been next to you in public, and I guess that is just your tone. It has you very far. I will never forget the Disney like humor when you dove under a table in the first Gulf War. I am impressed you survived that. Note that I expect, that CNN, for its benefit, will not publish this comment. However, the first phase (yes, not a sentence), should be.

July 3, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Miguel Valenzuela

What an eloquent, all encompassing and clear letter you wrote, Anderson. I appreciate the fact that you decided to take this step and I value the reasons you share with the world about why you made this decision. I agree that nothing positive is advanced unless we somehow constructively participate to enlighten others by sharing with good intentions. Eventually, the 'Gay' issue will not be an issue at all. Actually, it never has been. Humans have made it an issue. Onward and Upward, and Thank You for the magnificent job you do every day. You are a dedicated and committed journalist and I appreciate your style and dedication. It has also been quite refreshing to watch you loose your composure during a live broadcast and giggle out of control! Priceless. I'm sure your mother would agree!!!!

July 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. carolyn

You mean we really haven't gotten beyond this kind of "conversation"?

July 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bud

Be fair and go after both sides of the political spectrum, no bias just the facts, as far as your personal life that is not our business.

July 2, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jk

I hope I am alive the day people do not have to disclose their sexual preferences (not out of fear but because it is nobody's business). Anderson Cooper is the only person reporting the news that I believe and trust, and his private life is none of my business...he is an amazing human being, he deserves respect and privacy despite being a public figure!

July 2, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Carrie

Go Cooper!

July 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Camille Boudon

WOW Anderson is gay??????? What a shock, what a surprise!!!!!! I love Anderson I think he is amazing,very brave, kind and intelligent. I always knew he was gay{along with every one else] and until now never gave it a throught, he is Gay, his hair is white, eyes are blue! Does not make any difference and it never should, I wonder when will humans just let people be who they are, why would it matter, what difference does it make. Why do humans make people feel they have to justify who they are! They are who they are!

July 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |