Nationality, identity and the pledge of allegiance
The author, Moni Basu, center, says the Pledge of Allegiance at her naturalization ceremony in 2008.
July 4th, 2012

Nationality, identity and the pledge of allegiance

Editor's note: This is part of a series exploring the concept of American exceptionalism. Earlier, we examined its effect on politics and areas in which other countries lead the way.

By Moni Basu, CNN

Atlanta (CNN) When the moment finally arrived, 86 of us stood up to utter 31 sacred words.

I raised my right hand. My heart was pounding. All those years spent in public schools in America, I'd refrained from saying the Pledge of Allegiance. It was wrong to say it when my loyalties lay elsewhere.

But that changed with a ceremony on a July day four years ago. And it changed me. I learned lessons about the meaning of country and more importantly, about myself.

I'd been in America almost three decades but happily retained an Indian passport. Over the years, each time it was renewed, my green card changed to pink and white but the status remained the same: permanent U.S. resident.

I'd lived here so long that I felt just as much American as I did Indian, but I had my reasons for not taking that last formal step that made my Americanness official.

One was practical there was a matter of inheriting my father's property in Kolkata, India, and for a long time, that process was excruciatingly painful without Indian citizenship. My father knew what a bureaucratic nightmare inheritance could be, and as long as he was alive, he encouraged me to stay an Indian.

The other reason I held back was far more personal.

India does not allow dual citizenship with the United States, and assuming U.S. citizenship would effectively mean renouncing India. That felt like betrayal, a severance with the land that gave me birth and shaped me.

I spent a chunk of my childhood in India. When my family finally settled in the United States, I struggled to find myself.

I learned to speak English well, even with a twinge of Southern drawl, some would say. I went to high school dances and loved my Levi’s and even went out on dates, something I would never have done in India at that time.

But I never felt fully accepted.

I was always an "other" on forms that asked for race and ethnicity, before the days when Asian-American became a census category. In high school and college, I found myself fighting stereotypes and answering absurd questions about India, such as "do people live in grass huts?"

Sometimes, I felt Americans simply didn't understand me and that everything would be better if I could just go back to India.

The yearning for home and family grew stronger with age, especially after my parents moved back to India in 1985. I felt a need to rediscover my roots, not uncommon, I suppose, among immigrant children.

But every time I returned home to visit, I realized I could never feel fully at home in India anymore. I was too Americanized. A memsahib, the elders in my family joked, referring to the term for British women during colonial times.

That, too, is not uncommon among immigrant children. Many of us feel neither here nor there, straddling two cultures as we navigate key years of our lives.

In my case, I was happy to go on as a citizen of one country, a resident of another.

I paid my taxes and enjoyed all the freedoms afforded Americans save two things. I never served on a jury and more importantly, I could not vote. I never had an electoral say in India either because it did not allow absentee voting.

I hailed from the world's largest democracy and lived in the world's most powerful one, but was unable to take part in a free society's most essential expression. I always felt cheated, or worse, that I was falling short.

In 2004, I covered the presidential elections for an Atlanta newspaper, and after months of excitement and intrigue I was frustrated that I could not cast a ballot on Election Day.

By then I had cleared the biggest legal hurdles in India in settling my father's property. And so it happened that I sat down to fill out the necessary forms declaring my intent to become American.

I was fingerprinted, passed citizenship tests that challenged my knowledge of the Constitution and was finally called to take the oath in July 2008.

At the suburban Atlanta offices of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, I scanned the room to see faces from Vietnam to Venezuela. There were people from 38 different countries there that day for the naturalization ceremony.

I thought back to all the people I had met in my career as a reporter, of people who fought for freedom in lands that kept them caged, and others who clawed their way to these shores to break free.

I remembered Cuban dissenters I had met on my trip to Havana, and Afghan women who risked their lives to make things better for their little girls.

Today, all we have to do is look to the men and women of the Arab Spring, who took to the streets to oust governments that kept them down. Think of how much people risk to attain the kind of freedom we enjoy in America. And how much people in our own country have struggled to rid our society of prejudice and persecution.

My naturalization ceremony was testament to the American spirit. I looked around me and realized that this wasn't just about the journeys people had made; it was about the potential of all they could achieve in their new nation.

I thought about the Americans I’d met who worked hard, determined to achieve the American dream; about how their expectations were greater than their fears.

Such was the case with Fernando Andrade, who left behind Gen. Augusto Pinochet's military rule in Chile and arrived here without a college degree or English skills. He started in construction jobs and worked his way up to become a successful businessman.

Or Darly Pierre, who fled the brutal dictatorship of Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier. She came to America ready to fulfill her dreams. In Haiti, she said, she never had that chance.

I thought, too, about all the Americans I met who inspired me to carry on in the face of adversity. They, too, championed the American spirit.

Dylynn Waters lost her New Orleans home to Hurricane Katrina, resettled in Atlanta only to lose her home again in a fire. Waters persevered with a smile on her face. She said she had learned that it was not possessions that made a home.

Richard Ingram was a young cavalry scout whose arm was blown off in a roadside bombing in Iraq. He returned home determined to make the best of life. He is the first severely wounded soldier in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to become an officer.

America is filled with such stories. It is a nation that gives people hope.

On that July day, I felt proud, and extremely lucky, to be a part of this land.

I glanced at Francisco Montiel of Venezuela, standing to my right, dressed for the occasion in a khaki suit and blue tie. And on my left stood my friend Vino Wong, a photographer for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper and a native of Malaysia.

I wondered what they were thinking as they, too, became U.S. citizens. Did they have the same emotions I did? Was their joy tinged with the melancholy of giving up a homeland?

My eyes welled as I began the oath.

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. …”

Two worlds collided in my head as I drove to the Fulton County Courthouse with my new certificate of citizenship so that I could register to vote in time for the 2008 presidential elections.

That November, America made history with the election of Barack Obama as its first black president. The election became an important part of my own history as I stepped up to a voting booth and cast a ballot for the very first time.

Since then, I've come to think differently of my new citizenship.

I know now that swearing allegiance to the red, white and blue gave me new nationality. But nothing can ever take away my identity or that of the 40 million other people living in America who were born in other countries.

My Indian roots run deep, and I strive to carry with me every day the very best of two lands.

That is, after all, what makes America great.

Posted by
Filed under: Asian in America • Immigration • Who we are
  1. Fernando Gomez

I am proud to be an American. I worked my way through the legal process. Came to the US legally via an L1B visa, then became an H1B, then I got my greencard, then a US citizen. In all it took me 9 years to become an American citizen. For the record, I also officially renounced the Spanish citizenship in front to the Spanish authorities shortly afterwards. I am grateful to my new country. There are many things that I appreciate from the US: career opportunities, entrepreneurial mindset, etc, but there is one that I place above all of them: freedom of speech. I grew up in a place where Basque nationalism had kidnapped free speech. Saying the wrong thing to the wrong people at the time could mean in the best case being hurt; in the worst case you or a loved one could be killed. There is no way I can describe how much I appreciate America's culture of free speech!

July 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Welcome to the USA... looks like you're one person who understands what "EARN THIS" means, from having lived in your own former country. :-)

July 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fernando Gomez

Thank you for the warm welcome, my fellow American :-).

July 4, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • minority

one unhappy with spain,and happy with rednecks?why didn't you move to madrid?as for freedom of speech,try to tell americans that it is not ok to kill people for oil.

July 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fernando Gomez

To Madrid for what, to be fined for disrespecting the royal family? Man, America is the paradise of individual freedom. No other country comes close. And certainly not Spain.God bless the USA!!

July 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RealityIsaFish

On this the 4th of July everyone should remember what Obama said in regards to America; to paraphrase, " Citizenship in the US is crap, it is ONLY a piece of paper"

The President laughs in the face of those who were so stupid as to ACTUALLY wait in line ... he thinks you're a bunch of morons. Don't think so just klook at what the democrats post here they fell the smart ones made their way here and stayed.

July 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gauntlet

I remember wY back when I was a teenager...a friend's Mom became a US citizen. It was a very happy and memorable day or all of us. Their family was from Trinidad. The entire family was honorable and hard working. At that time, I had never been to another country yet, 30+ years later, I can say that most immigrants come to the USA for a better and safer life. The ignorant Americans who dislike immigrants, are Americans thst have never been to a third world country. I live in Miami. I am surrounded by immigrants who are here for a safe and better life. I have not seen a lazy immigrant yet. Americans, believe it or not, their are lazy people out there who were born in America!

July 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priviledged Ones

There are Americans who worked full time all the way through university and who were passed over for being hired to a good job in favor of a non-US citizen, and then on top of that heartbreak have been called lazy.

Calling any group of people lazy has always been a favorite term to use towards any oppressed people.
      Do not get sucked into it. A lot of that zombie like behavior is hopelessness, not laziness.

When the bad catches up with the new immigrant population of the USA it will be the same as when it caught up with the Great Migration and NY was the largest slum in the world.
      The immigrants ended the tidal wave immigration called the Great Migration, not the multi-generational native born.

July 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ol Smoky

WELCOME! Your now free to be part of the largest incarceration loving country in THE WORLD! Your free to be under constant government control, scrutiny, and taxation unlike any other civilized country. Welcome to our glorious Nanny State! Congrats are now in order!

July 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ol Smoky

P.S. if you come to my freedom lovin state of colorado be sure not to even cuss.. its considered harrasment or a terroristic threat. Again WELCOME though lololo

July 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • bb

You are ungrateful ...try living in third world countries ...people would love to complain about, their government ,baby sitting them ..may be you should open your little brain and complain about real things. By the way the guy has been in this country for more than 3 decades you are a little too late for the welcome

July 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ol Smoky

When we stop locking up four times what china ill stop complaining, otherwise how far this country has come from its original ideals is far perverted so my complaints are legit so the way i see it jerk your the one with a small brain defending a country that spits in the face of its own original intent. Go ahead and keep suckling from mama americas teet. Small brain BB you probably sucking down all sorts of welfare thats why you defend.

July 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. native america

This countries greatness was built off the backs of slaves, immigrants, and underprivileged whites. From building the White House to our railroads and much more. Happy birthday America but get real.

July 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priviledged Ones

Eh. Name a nation where the wealth of that nation was not built on the backs of people they oppressed. That is all of human history. The future is what can be changed by people uniting and not worshiping the wealthy like pharaohs.

July 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • native america

That i cant deny, but dont people worship the rich like pharos in this country anyway? And an even better question, how do you unite in such polorized times in politics and in fellow citizens?

July 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ramesh kumar

Salute to this Great country and nation! The Heaven Place on Earth.It is time to contribute and Pay back for Economy to gow up! God always bless this Country and keep Shower his blessing on resident's to achieve their Dreams come true!

July 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jp

Research the word "Citizen" and it's entomology. It means you agree to being a slave of a corporate fascist system. Wake up America. . . .

July 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

You are proof of a failed education, lack of parenting, lack of guidance, etc.

July 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • openvalve

Loser

July 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • sfg

Commun ist.

July 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • oyvey

JP is right. you ignorant people assume everything not look into legal basis of fact. Citizenship in the blackslaw dictionary old additions means that. no one is free by claiming citizenship.. a national is highest soveriegn status in US federal system.

July 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kobe

It would be very inspiring to hear President Obama share why he decided to become an American citizen.

July 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian American

Or maybe George Romney?

July 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • clos

you rebel rouser

July 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gene M Granstaff

AWESOME STORY! Inspirational. I salute my naturalized citizen friends and you. I wish more emphasis was placed on natural born citizens to really learn, understand and appreciate what we have here.

July 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. doe22us

I became an American citizen on Jan 18th 2012 having been here for over a decade. Proud and proud on my first independence day celebration as an American citizen.

July 4, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priviledged Ones

Welcome to the Family.
      Fourth of July is political US citizen day but US citizen cultural family day is Thanksgiving.
      Hope you have learned to like turkey and stuffing a lot by now.
      If not add pecans to the stuffing. It helps.

July 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

There's more to being a "citizen" than simply taking a test, speaking English, and knowing a bit of history.

EARN THIS... learn what those words mean. Three generations of my family (and many many others) fought, and died, so you would have the chance to EARN THIS... that we would all have that opportunity.

July 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. volitionx

See? You can live here and become a citizen if you want to–all LEGALLY! Those who break the laws should be severely punished, not given amnesty, like Obama loves so much. If you people ever got over your cult-like worship of your "cool" president, our country would turn around and prosper.

July 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WiseOwlOne

America is WAY overrated, given it's problems and challenges! I've lived, or extended stayed in many other countries, and I realistically have to say that I am dissapointed in what America has become. We rank way down the list on so many critical aspects of quality of life, including education, healthcare access, incarceration rates, corruption, job security, etc. It saddens me to see this country, which I was born in, in decline.

July 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • BESTLAND

If it"s this bad; why is't that everybody wants to come here?

July 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Priviledged Ones

For start ups. Immigrants get huge interest free loans. After they make enough wealth they can invest back home and eventually return there or stay here if they prefer, but they are not going to get that great a deal where they are at in their home nations.
        Seriously, did you really think all of those businesses popped open by immigrants washing dishes and saving their pennies up? Start learning something.

July 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • carl47

so move to another country

July 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sfg

You should go live where you think it's better, which is not here.

July 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eddie Haskell

What an ugly picture of turd world refuse!!

July 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mighty7

Relax!!!.....I did not see a picture of your mother or your wife in there.

July 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Indian American

I bet they did not teach world history in your school, unless it started after 1800?

July 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Indian American

Yeah! Europeans took this country over from Indians, and made it a much better place.. wait a second... where have I heard that before? Yeah.. the MF, Winston Churchill said that about India, after plundering all her wealth for 3 centuries...

July 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian American

RRRrrrrrright....

July 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sfg

You should have developed an industrial society rather than a caveman hunter/gatherer society, then you could have defended yourself.

July 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. BESTLAND

With all the problems we have in this country, it's still the best land on this planet. I travel overseas sometimes, but the
    moment i get back home , i can't control my tears. Let's take a moment to apperciate America wether you are a native or immigrant and let's all strive for the well being of this great country.

July 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mighty7

Oh lord...the cheesy sentimentalism....When will it end?

July 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • kaybee

The day you start living in hell holes such as Iran/Syria..It's always cheesy when sentiments are expressed for what is so obvious, good secure life, not having to worry when there is a riot or who is going to kill you or jail you..This is the BEST place on earth period..

from an immigrant who came with a hope to better his life and succedeed in doing so...God Bless The United States of America.

July 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • mighty7

Still cheesy kumosabe.

July 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • spent

Get rid of obama so we can preserve what we still have.

July 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunil

John Boehner??

July 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolz

Strange, I feel the exact same way when returning to Canada from the United States.

July 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • sfg

Which is why you are not an American.

July 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • RP

I feel the exact same way. I love traveling (and I've been all over the world) but I always feel a rush of pride returning home to the good old US of A. Yes, we've got problems–major problems–but if you ever spend any time in other non-Western countries, you know how fortunate we are to be born (or naturalized) Americans. Happy Birthday, America!

July 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. faboge

America remains my favorite country despite its increasing elimination of the middle class and fact that its more and more run by business cartels not unlike the drug cartels that ran Columbia for decades. Its incremental and nearly undetectable especially with the declining levels of education here. You can scream all you want about the vices of "big government", fact is you can change big government. If, on the other hand "big money" takes over, you really cannot change that since they will always own your legislators. As long as some middle class here still has a voice, I am staying here!

July 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sfg

Nice observation, money has controlled politics since the invention of cities.

July 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Indian American

July 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chat Pata

Racist mass murderers, delusional believer of an invisible being they call God, paranoid gun totter, self-righteous invader of others sovereignty ...

July 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dwp19542004

to be taxed and screwed by a colored boy king

July 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Priviledged Ones

US citizen bashing is nothing other than being Anti-American.
    Fools or greedy business people who want slaves are the only ones who do it.

First generation immigrants get special privileges in access to resources and education that native born citizens do not.
    That is why second generation immigrants are often looked at as not as good as their parents when all it is is that they are born into the same boat as other native born citizens.

July 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. yamnnjr

The next batch of people who will rue the day they ever made this pledge when Democrats ultimately make things far easier for the illegal immigrant.

July 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Right Wing White Man

Brave,chauvinistic, dedicated, dutiful, faithful, fervid, jingoistic, loyal, nationalistic, statesmanlike, zealous

July 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Velkaj vannu

USA is the biggest bait and switch like everything else here. Immigrants from India and elsewhere have a rosy picture myth perpetuated by Americans of freedoms and prosperity here and are drawn to only realize that this is a debt ridden society of greed and hate. The American dream is boatloads of debt, haters and uncultured gunslingers. My website, switchandbaitusa.com will expose USA and hopefully immigrants will know the truth of life in USA

July 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • crappygovernment

You can stay at home in the 3rd world then and make it better!

July 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • WaitYourTurn

First of all, the name of the country should not be "United" States of America USA just like the USSR downsized back to Russia. Nor America becasue there is north and south america. My point congress should create a new custom name that does not draw illegal aliens nor our military to other countries when this country is borrowing infinte money from China. United Arabs can send the "United States" president some donations.

July 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • albert b

I have lived all over the world. The USA is arguably the best place to live. Do we have our problems, you bet. There is no other country where life and liberty is taken so seriously. Unfortunately, the illegals take advantage of our generosity

July 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • carol2222

Then I hope you are back in India. All of us U.S. computer programmers would love to see you leave. YOU are the haters and the cons. We are tired of carrying your workload.

July 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dr. OU812

It's called FREEDOM....or as we are now, SOCIALISTS....they came for the FREE STUFF!

July 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Honest Citizen

PATRIOTIC

July 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. liz99dk

I find it funny when people are always saying that illegal immigrants are taking away the jobs of Americans. I work in an industry where I talk to people every day who are laid of or unemployed. They honestly and openly tell me that its ok, they will just collect their unemployment rather than take the jobs that are available right now. I am sorry, but my work ethic tells me that ANY job is better than NO job. I saw a news program the other day about how the recession has hit the middle class, and there was a woman who was unemployed and her assistance from a local charity was going to run out,,, she had yet to find a job, because she was not willing to take one below her previous job of Human Resources VP! So in reality, these immigrants that you are all so afraid of stealing your jobs are actually doing the jobs we "Americans" are too lazy or too good to do. Maybe we should humble ourselves and learn a little humility and DO these jobs before we point the finger.

July 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Bingo. For all these folks complaining about immigrants (illegal or otherwise), they're also the first people who will complain about rising prices of EVERYTHING once labor costs skyrocket due to the lack of people willing to do something "below" them for a living.

July 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Well said

July 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sfg

Liar liar pants on fire. The gardening and construction industries have been taken over by illegal immigrants who will work for less money, thereby driving wages DOWN.

July 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. crappygovernment

Many Americans would like to vote to end all immigration.

July 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • J R Brown

I don't know a single person who wants to end immigration....I know thousands of people that want to end ILLEGAL immigration. Maybe you have a resource for your position, so that we can all read it and then laugh at you?

July 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alloywheel

"Many Americans" means more than one; not majority of Americans, which means 50% plus 1%.
      Thank God for that. Get higher education so you won't be part of your so-called un-official 20%
      unemployed. Perhaps, you are un-employable, with your present knowledge and/or skill?

July 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Chat Pata

I became an American because my parents decided to leave India because despite their education, they were "Daleet" (Inferior Race), "Achoot" (Untouchable), and "Maleech" (Dirty). I went back to see if it is true, it is still true outside the rich mega cities that are influenced by American businesses. Despite my education, I would be called "Chewda" (bathroom cleaner) becuase of the color of my skin. The only problem of the USA is that their lives are dictated by corporation, especially oil cartels, that are plundering the world. Other than that, it is a beautiful country of beautiful people who know how to respect my education.

July 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • PKL

Education does not erase heritage. Just because you hold a degree does not mean you should be placed in high respect. In fact, your mentality shows that you are not as elevated as you think you are.

July 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jay shelley

I agree with crappy. Asian parents discourage innovation and dreams and force their kids into boring careers that are stable, in their view. The head of Lockheed told me once that they just don't hire them: no mavericks.

July 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon E Moose

Yeah, they should be like the self-driven, obsessive mavericks that gave us innovations like sub-prime mortgage loans, CDOs, Credit Swaps, derivatives and the like.

WaaaaaHoooooooo!!!

July 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. aj

discrimination of immigrants is a worldwide problem, not just an american one. Canada hates U.S. immigrants, in Mexico, they kill people that cross the southern border.

July 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Wow... that was really helpful... have any other insightful statements to make? LOL... your just plain goofy.

July 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. J R Brown

Just remember when it comes time to vote...that right that you spent 3 decades waiting to have...that Obama just s hit all over you by using a presidential order to grant amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants.

July 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • WaitYourTurn

Also my sympathy for the border patrol and Coast Guard.

July 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Shoushin

Where is all this hate from LEGAL immigrants coming from? Unless you are Native American you or your ancestors are immigrants. All hate against ILLEGAL immigrants are fine and most likely justified because they are lawbreakers in definition. But to hate LEGAL immigrants who jumped through all the government hoops and waited 10+ years......

July 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patiat

A lot of people here don't know what they're talking about. They rage on impotently against made-up enemies.

July 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • g

tired old blah blah blah

July 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priviledged Ones

That old line needs to go. White, black, and Native American colonial citizens that created the United States and their descendents are not US immigrants. You cannot be an immigrant to a nation you created.

This is a popular phrase of descendents of the Great Migration who came much later and who were immigrants.
      It is actually a disrespect towards the founding peoples of the USA, as if the USA did not really exist or matter until the peoples of the Great Migration arrived.

July 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Uhhh... you do know that "native Americans" were WHITE MEN, don't you? They arrived here about three thousand years before the Mongolians ventured across the Bering Straits, and settled in what is now the eastern United States. So, when you say "native Americans", make sure you know WHO you're referring too. I believe YOU were referring to what are known as "Amerindians", who are the subsequent generations after the Mongolians arrived here, some of whom were also Caucasian, I might add. Shoushin, you're proof that ignorance can be quite literate, yet still be quite ignorant.

July 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jen

Either you are a NATIVE American or an IMMIGRANT.
    Illegal immigration started in 1492. Worse, it was violent in 1492.

July 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • J R Brown

That's a ridiculous argument....North America was largely unsettled wilderness when Eurpoeans started emigrating here. There were no 'nations" upon which to intrude....no immigration laws to break.

Where there were native American settlements, they fought and lost....just like what's happened in structuring the borders of every single country on the planet except maybe Israel. Get over it.

July 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patiat

So just because native Americans didn't have written laws the way Europeans did, that means it was fine and dandy for Europeans and their offspring to take their land, sicken them, kill them, and force them to accept European religion when they already had religions of their own?

I asked you this before, and I'll ask you again: just who do you think you are fooling by saying the things that you do?

July 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chat Pata

You are wrong about Israel. Israelies have done the same to the native population. Now Jews from Europe are in Majority whereas local Jews and Arabs are in minority

July 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Varun

That's just your justification of all the rape, murder and plundering of natives. Doesn't make it right. I'm sure all the illegal mexicans have their own justification on jumping the border. Doesn't make it right.

July 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chat Pata

Illegal immigrants of 1492 not only stole the land of Native Americans, cattle of Mexicans, and freedom of African Americans, they also killed Native Americans to the extend of making them almost extinct. Imagine illegal Mexicans killing all white men except a few thousand, and then 5 hundred years later say that white man did not take USA to new colonies in Mars.

July 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • NealR2000

The Native Americans you refer to also came from elsewhere. These people migrated from what is now Asia.

July 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chat Pata

They did not annihilate the local population thru superior guns and chick-pox infected blankets.

July 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Jen, you are truly ignorant, as so many are.

Silly child, don't you know, as I've already stated to another, that the white man was here some three thousand years BEFORE the Mongolians crossed the Bering Straits, and that tangible, irrefutable proof of that exists? Do you bother researching anything before opening that flap-trap of yours? Those "native Americans" you are talking about aren't "native", and IN FACT, are the original illegal immigrants. The Pilgrims didn't "settle" here, but IN FACT "resettled", though they didn't know it at the time.

Further, NO MEN ARE INDIGENOUS TO THIS HEMISPHERE... also a FACT.

July 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Casaer

Thanks for the link to that good article. Some people would believe what they want to anyway!

July 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Indian American

Read that article?

July 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. David

You have to blame democrats for this mess. These are not the countries that came here and made America great. These unknowns want benifits and don't want to learn English. The 20 million illegals from south of our border have bankrupted California. Do we really need more unwanted foreigners?

July 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

You are an idiot. Republicans are just as much to blame for your immigration as democrats. As a matter of fact it is truly your world marketing strategy that is to blame. You make yourselves out to be the best country in the world " land of opportunity" you all preach but then you freak out when people buy into your image and want to come over. Change your marketing plan and less people may want to come to America.

July 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhino

wow, Nativism is alive and well. smh

July 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • spent

yeah, but if it were not for the pale skin you would not have what you are enjoying today. Thank you Pale Face!

July 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patiat

Do you even know a single true thing about California? I think not. Republicans and Democrats alike facilitate illegal immigration. The agriculture of CA is absolutely dependent on cheap labor, and Americans refuse to bend over 400 times a day to pick up bunches of lettuce, or to throw tree fruit into bags slung over their backs in 100-degree heat. San Joaquin Valley conservatives are notoriously silent on the issue of illegal immigration because they absolutely need it.

July 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • sfg

Excuse me, the Democrats have controlled both houses of the California legislature for 60 years.

July 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. BESTLAND

America remain a beacon of hope all over the world, it's a model that other countries should take lessons from.
    I am a muslim immigrant who become a proud citizen of this country and there is not a single day that passes by without
    talking to someone about the greatness of America. Happy fourth of july to all Americans! and may God continue to bless America.

July 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay shelley

My friend, you are welcome in my home anytime. I am Jewish and most of my Muslim friends are extremely cool.

July 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • jay shelley

No, it's just that, unlike you, our mommies don't drink booze for breakfast or teach us to get into serious debt.

July 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. jay shelley

If all races are indeed equal, why is it that 300 years of Black people and 150 or so of Mexicans has produced nothing but economic losers? Now Asians are moving in and within one generation they are at the top economically and have kids who are getting into Harvard. According to a friend of mine in admissions, the ENTIRE inoming class of UCLA and USC freshmen would be Asian American if based on test scores and GPA alone.

July 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shoushin

Because the ones on top who are benefiting from the country being a hellhole are the smartest of the bunch.

July 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay shelley

It's like Liverpool giving us the Beatles. Crappy, corrupt Asian countries force the best and the brightest to move here. Within a generation, their kids, nieces and nephews are Ivy League grads.

July 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patiat

You can start to answer some of your own questions by reading some books on African and Latin American colonialism.

July 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • jay shelley

Ok, let's talk colonialism. The human race started in Africa. So why didn't Africans invent sailing ships first and make slaves of Europeans and Arabs?

July 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ZZZzzz

500,000 dual US/Israel citizens living in the U.S. and growing. The United States is seen as Israel v2 should things not work out in Israel.

July 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Number4

That is because they are interested in more than just reality TV shows and Facebook.

July 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. crappygovernment

The USA was not always a Tower of Babel. The 3rd world floodgates were opened only in 1965 by internationalist politicians Emmanuel Celler and Jakob Javits of NY.

July 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert McCabe

Haven't those people heard of the Mexican border?

July 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. joey

we need more of her type, at my bar, now

July 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casaer

She already may be owning your bar. Go check.

July 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • joey

hey, you are right, my bar does smell better

July 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bob

America was populated by immigrants but more immigrants now just means more overpopulation, congestion, low-paying jobs, more need for social services, divided loyalties etc. This is not the same world as 200, 100 or 50 years ago. This is a world of diminishing resources, more mouths.

July 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Number4

Very true. The biggest problem in this country is the stupidity and laziness of many native born Americans. They moan about legal immigrants taking their jobs and I have to laugh. Nobody wants to hire people who are dumb and lazy. Employers want to hire the smartest and most motivated workers, not the sloths who think society owes them something. Most legal immigrants are at least highly motivated to work, and many are well educated.

July 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. pepsee

Most of the Chinese and Indian people are very educated – they elevate the staus of America. Just go to the colleges and good companies to witness that. Check out the census to confirm that. Compare that with the vast number of uneducated Mexican people here. That will validate the fact. :) America doesn't need junk to burden herself, she needs people that move the country forward.

July 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • yamnnjr

It's not the educated or intelligent that move a country forward. If that were true, they wouldn't to come over here.

It's the common everyday people and what they won't tolerate from their government that moves a nation forward. A nation, no matter how great is never progressive without a consent by the people and a sort of a accountability by the people upon government that keeps government from ultimately using that progression to create a class of rulers who maintain power at the expense of their people rather than for the sake of their people.

Now, don't get me wrong, intelligent people can be very helpful, but it takes the collective will of the people to ultimately progress. And if the will of the people happens to be to regress, as have ever presently been progressing in that direction within the last 40 or so years, then regression is what will happen until the people or rather their children's children realize the mess we started for them, and once again rise out of it, usually starting in the base beliefs of the very ideals of Christianity.

July 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Casaer

Well said and one of the nicely thought comment! Thanks you.

July 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meli

I am sure you refer to all Latinos, when you say "Mexican" So I do take your comment personal. So you know, I have a college degree, and worked really hard do my husband could become an attorney. I am in the process of becoming a citizen, but BET I have sacrificed more for this country than you,,,unless you have served in a war. The only reason why I haven't been able to become a citizen, is because it is EXTREMELY expensive. I would be more careful about your comments...they don't sound very smart...

July 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • jay shelley

Blame your problems on the Anglo, Meli, that's your culture – and that of all Spanish-speaking South Americans – is a race of losers since the 1500s. It took only 3-4,000 Europeans to subdue Aztec and Incan civilizations that numbered perhaps 2.2 million! What does that tell you?

July 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Bo Lies

Most probably became legal because when the GOP takes over they will kick out the leeching illegals.

July 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casaer

GOP = More Immigrant or H1s Visas so that Corporates gain
      Dem = More help to poorer immigrants

Too bad people just talk on emotion only and don't analyse the behaviours!

July 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • yamnnjr

LOL, you liberals always have no clue about reality because you don't pay attention to what's actually happening.
        I'll help you out.

Republicans = Help citizens first, then legal immigrants.
        Democrats = Help illegal immigrants first, then citizens.

I know you don't want to believe that this is what Democrat think, and it probably isn't if you ask them directly, but regardless of what they say it's always what they end up doing.

And what people do, not say, NOT say, it's what do that actually counts.

July 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Casaer

@Yammnnjr – no i am not a liberal; made assumption. or i left a perception like that.

Now that perception is what left by Dems and GOP. No GOP unfavourably increases reliance on H1s instead of improving conditions in the system. Perception again.
        Dems – illegal or legal they do focus on "populistic" policy – happens to be poorer sections (more votes).

July 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. HallaBol

WDB I dont think the guy's who fake resume can survive the competetion, America is not socialist state to encourage incompetent resource, as far as cheap labour goes I have seen most Immigrant programmer earn more than their counterpart, probably they are more efficient then those with 30 years experience.

July 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casaer

@WDB – so are you saying that american workforce can't compete against fake education folks and prove more productive and valuable! That says something.

July 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Star

Folks want to come to America for one reason, money. It isn't called the golden door for nothing. Give us your poorest, your least conscious, your least advantaged, the least educated, and we'll give them money and an education while the middle class sinks lower and lower.

July 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • pepsee

Star: It is not true for the Chinese and Indian folks. Go to the colleges to validate that. Check out their average education level and compare to the rest of the country.

July 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. PG

Good article. Keep it up Moni. Rightly said.

July 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. mighty7

Yes....All those folks in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas really need to start pulling their weight . After all, California and New York cannot keep putting up 1/3 of the Federal budget every year so southern ingrates who suck the most money, contribure the least and yet complaint the most keep making fun of them.

July 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  52. PG

Get some education pleaseeeee. It will help you in long term.

July 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  53. zipvip

Angelina, Please go to some English speaking school. You language skills are atrocious, your ignorance is best reflected in your grammar. I had a hard time understanding what you’re trying to say, expect for some stereotypical statements here and there. For your information, trying to find a good bargain is a smart strategy. Don't hate people just because they are smarter than you.

July 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. n0cturnal

Indians don't buy cars? Next time look at what they are driving and you will be surprised they drive more expensive cars then you, or your parents ever could have afforded. I am not Indian, but I have several friends those who are. They save money, don't fall into quick money schemes, and work hard. Of course, they can afford better houses and cars then any average American.

July 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Iam an Indian American and believe car is thing to take you from point -a to point-b , I still drive my 1995 toyota camry and make 200K+ in salary. But i also take many extensive international vacations , contribute to local charities and live within my means ( based on what i need and not based on my income or perception of wealth ).

I think this life is a gift from god and we need to make good use of it – we all come with nothing and go back with nothing when our time on this earth is over. Does it rally matter what car you drive....? – Iam proud to be an american.

July 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Johnny America

HOORAY FOR LEGAL IMMIGRANTS!!!!!!

Legal immigrants deserve 1 free drink or desert on their first Independence Day

July 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meli

I like your idea!! Would be even better if becoming a citizen would be more affordable. I would have become one a few years ago, but have had to save my pennies...

July 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  56. David

More unwanted and uneeded foreigners. I feel like a foreigner in my own country now. We bring so many so soon that they dont feather it like before. Europian countries made America great, and these unknown ones are taking it down.

July 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMendicantBias

Moni Basu is likely much more educated than you are, rofl.

Pathetic.

July 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shirley Allan

Get some insurance for your trailer, you are going to need it! The weather is going to be brutal this year! Most immigrants have their own HOUSES, a university degree, and have traveled to other countries! Have you left your state? I guess not! Do you know the number of Americans who have CHOSEN to live n harmony with other people in "THIRD WORLD" countries? In my country we have a American Medical School- Ross University as well as American retirees and we treat Americans with respect, LOVE and dignity as a Christian nation should do!! I guess you will not know that since you are being consumed in your own IGNORANCE!!

July 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • American for 30 years !

I guess you must be Foreign or don't know English

Learn how to spell dude ! or better the computer you used to post this on CNN has SPELL CHECK !

And remember This is still a FREE Country and we welcome people that qualify via the Immigration network to come here.

QUOTED FROM ORIGINAL – David

More unwanted and uneeded foreigners. - UNNEEDED –

Europian countries made America great - European.

Oh by the way I'm of European parents and now American and speak English.

July 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

You probably feel like a foreigner here because you are living in the dark ages. People who blame their problems on immigrants are usually the cause of their own problems. Whatever happened to the American idea that despite failure you can struggle on to eventually achieve success? Don't blame your difficulties on others man, take charge of your own life and change it for the better.

July 4, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. pupik

For the most part, majority of immigrants hate this country ( ask them, make an effort and talk to some immigrants, my white friend ). But what make this people become citizens here and continue to enjoy "american dream" is simply monetary benefits.

July 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

Why would they come here if they hate it? You can make money in any country, and there are a lot of them to choose from.

July 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • carl47

YOU got that right

July 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  58. NAM VET

FOOD FOR THOUGHT-–WOULD YOU PUT 2 GALLONS OF LIQUID IN THE STEW POT IF YOU WANTED TO FEED 100
    PEOPLE AND NOTHING ELSE TO ADD. THAT IS WHERE WE ARE AT. WE HAVE TO HAVE QUOTAS ON IMMIGRANTS,
    JUST AS WE HAVE DONE IN THE PAST. WE CAN NOT BE ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE. IN BETTER TIMES THIS NATION
    HAS HAD OPPORTUNITIES FOR US ALL. THIS IS NOT THE TIME. WE AS A NATION HAVE TO GET OUR DUCKS IN A
    ROW,BEFORE WE CAN AFFORD TO ADD OTHERS. IF WE WAIT,WE WILL AGAIN HAVE ALL OF THAT FOR US AND MORE.

July 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • WDB

right on Nam Vet!

July 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • yaa

Indians, Chinese and Koreans pay SO MUCH taxes even when working on a VISA that you will be ashamed of yourself if you have the courage to read the statistics.

July 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

We got that way though laziness and complacency. The culture of the country has changed and a good portion of the population doesn't want to work or put forth the effort to obtain the skills/education needed to find work. Sadly, it is our own fault and there is nobody to blame but ourselves. At least most legal immigrants want to work and contribute to our society.

July 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • WaitYourTurn

Right on the money like taking a number and waiting during a recession/depression of this country when citizens:workers with Masters Degrees are still unemployed.

July 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Pads

I am actually surprised at these comments especially the 'shower' part. FYI, the hindu religion says that one should not start any day activities until one finishes taking bath, and I am surprised how you arrived at that conclusion. W.r.t to the other parts: Indians by culture don't dispose off things that are working and fits their needs. Your statement about Indians not buying cars is definitely incorrect (they have as many cars as Americans do), but they won't recycle cars as often as others for sure. W.r.t eating out, may be you should visit some Indian restaurants. They are pricey and are always packed.

July 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  60. desiranger

Very Well expressed article!

July 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  61. rhicsj1

1. the right wing white man still need agression and need to conquer
    2. the right wing white man will say or do anything for there own selfish reasons
    3. the right wing white man can't survive without guns & religion
    4. the right wing white man is a dying breed
    5. the right wing white man will lose the election in 2012 less

July 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Right wing white man

As a right wing white man I welcome these legal immigrants to th USA. It is those crimal types given citizenship by signature of an extremist POTUS that I dislike. 600000 of them decriminalized only for their votes.

July 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • yamnnjr

Don't mind him, he's just a robot. He speaks out of the algorithms he was programed with and is incapable of any deeper thought.

We far right Conservatives have never been against legal immigration or legal immigrants, and that really goes without saying. It's only the Democrats that have ever proved, by their actions, to distort and ultimately to be against legal immigration and immigrants because all of their actions regarding immigration have always encouraged and assisted illegal immigration over that of legal immigration.

Basically, Democrats have always supported, by their actions, illegal immigration at the expense of legal immigrants. They make policies and laws that help illegals maintain their illegal status, which has had the effect of making things harder for legal immigrants. It's interesting how Democrats maintain a large Hispanic vote. But I attribute that to the ignorance of new immigrants who are fed by 90% of the media in mostly liberal areas about how helpful Democrats are to immigrants, omitting the fact that every "helpful" Democrats have done is ultimately helpful to the illegal immigrant, at the expense of the legal immigrant.

July 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Indian59

This is a very racist comment...I'm sure you don't like honest people who work hard and wait years to get their citizenship what's wrong with that...moreover 90 % of us are here on legally ...FYI we Indians are don't bite the hand that feeds us...your comments are totally uncalled for and shame on the CNN moderator for allowing you to post such garbage.

July 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  63. yaa

There is no comparison. Indian and Chinese are engineers and doctors....you are toilet cleaners and lawn mowers...I am sorry it hurts.

July 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Joe

I suppose compared to India, the US looks good. However, they do share the same 19th century passenger train service, but the US in general has a better infrastructure thanks to socialist programs like rural electrification and the national highway system.

July 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian American

Have you been to India?

July 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

What makes those "socialist' programs?

July 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Varun

you are absolutely right about Indian trains..lol...they do run at about 70 kmph.

July 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

It is lot cheaper to live in the US than in India for comprable life style. A 4 bed room independent house in any big indian city will be in millions of dollars...unlike 300 or 400k in the US.

July 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  65. lol

which slum are you from?

July 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Olivia

Jose...sorry to bust your bubble but your "Mid Romney" is not going to stop illegal immigration or cut /stop legal immigration.

July 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Marc

Can someone please explain to me what "too americanized" means? ... I think people use it all the time to express something that they're not sure what it really is.

July 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Varun

I'm sorry you must not be very bright if you're having trouble understanding such a simple concept. People from every country have their own characteristics, traits, mannerisms and habits and if they slowly learn or blend into habits of another country, then they relate more with the new culture/country. In this case, an Indian who is 'too americanized'.

July 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  68. yuyun

whoa

July 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Daniel

Hello JOSE,

I read through this string of comments and noticed that you are angry that politicians keep outsourcing jobs to other countries such as China. Then you said you would vote for Mid Romney (spelled Mitt Romney by the way) who is very much a supporter of outsourcing jobs. People like you are embarrassing to Americans...you say a lot and know very little. Americans consume 80% of the worlds goods...but want to pay as little as possible for it...makes sense but not practical. The only way to do this is to make it cheap, therefore you need to pay the people who make it almost nothing. The only way to change this is to change the culture of the buyer- Americans. Politicians cannot change you...only you can.

July 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

Very true. It is easy for politicians to control the stupid. They can't think for themselves and rely on TV shows to form their opinions. Education is the key to competing in the new world economy. Those who forsake it will fall to the wayside. People tend to blame their problems on others, like immigrants, when in realty they are the cause of their own problems.

July 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  70. TD71

I know an individual here on a work visa and I have asked him for the last 4 yrs if he will become a citizen and he said no. I asked him why and he stated that he had too much to lose in his home country, but yet wants to serve in OUR Armed Forces...

July 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jrl

Happy Dependence Day. Provided by yours truly comrade Obama since 2008

July 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jrl

im surprised Obama didn't take the time today to apologize to Great Britain today for the independence war

July 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

So what? There are Americans who serve in the French Foreign Legion.

July 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  71. super sam

Being naturalized citizen,I can answer you from my own experience.

The US govt sets qouta for granting immigrants into The US,so it can controle the number.It can 't controle the number of the people jumping over the fence.I was granted the immigration status because I was needed,during Vietnam war,medical degree and skill were badly needed.As an adopted citizen,I proudly do all of my duties,obey the law,pay tax,do volunteer works,vote,get involve in civic duties and raised 3 wonderful children with good education.They are 3 of the best 2nd generation US citizen.They do all duties and CREATE many jobs for our country !

I am strongly against any illegal immigration,I believe,breaking any law is crime !

July 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  72. 4mTX

Lol! People of Asian descent are more likely to be professionals than laborers.

July 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • WDB

Exactly right..professional, cheap scab laborers who lie on their resumes about ficticious degrees and work experience..

July 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jrl

Happy Dependance Day America. You just lost your liberty and freedom to the most unpatriotic president you could ever think of

July 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  74. velkaj vannu

USA CITIZENSHIP IS NO LONGER AS VALUED AS BEFORE. US CITIZENS ARE PRIME TARGETS AROUND WORLD ESPECIALLY IN INDIA. HOPEFULLY MONI WONT BE STAYING IN ANOTHER TAJ WHEN VISITING INDIA. I WOULD SAY JUST KEEP YOUR OWN CITIZENSHIP AND BE A PERMANENT RESIDENT HERE SO YOU CAN VISIT WHEN REQUIRED. I CAN NEVER LET GO MY INDIA CITIZENSHIP. MY KIDS MAY MELT INOT THIS MELTING POT, BUT NOT ME. AM TRYING FOR A BETTER OPPORTUNITY IN INDIA AND WILL BE RETURNING IN A HEARTBEAT TO MY OWN SOO. CANT WAIT. ADIOS.

July 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Tammy

Don't like it, immigrate...... I'm sure you'd be able to find another country that fits your ideals of what it is to be an American. (see how your ignorance of being able to speak out in public, behind the computer, in your own home about their government will be tolerated) This article is not nor was not about how the author is here illegally, she's been here LEGALLY for decades.

July 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • crappygovernment

It's not America if dual-citizens control the other 90+%. Tikkun Olam is falling apart rapidly!

July 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Incrediboy

Touche', Tammy. Very well put.

July 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Shoushin

Hey look Illegal Immigrants, its Legal Immigrants that you are about to give the middle finger to as soon as any Dream Act is passed. Aren't all of your lawbreakers proud of yourselves?

July 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  77. bob martin

not for me, can't join a group of people who torture other human beings and are proud of it. who invade other countries based on lies. who elect war criminals like bush (he and his croniies ,chany, rumsfeld abrams,and others should be in jail) (i don't beleive in the death penalty}

July 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gaunt

Most of what you said wasnt even remotely true.

Bush jr didnt invade nations based on lies. Stupidity and gullibility, yes. But he didnt lie about it.

The US didnt 'elect war criminals'. Firstly Bush's actions came after he was elected, but more importantly, exactly which war crimes do you believe he is guilty of? Please be specific.

July 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • g

so the congress that voted for it gets off free?

July 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. czar33

I want a $100,000 "PATEL GRANT" AND A $400,000 LOAN AT 2%, i WOULD even change my name to Ashok Patel.
    czar33

Canada does not give out FREE handouts to people from India. Did you know if you are fron India and want to open a gas-station, subway store, doughnut shop...etc.. The USA goverment gives them a $100,000 GRANT and a loan up to $400,000 at 2%

July 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mighty7

Well, that is because that is another idiotic urban myth created by pasty yokels to make sure their disdain for foreigners does not fade.

July 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tats

Czar33....i cannot stop laughing...man...if this was a joke, this was awesome.

On the other hand, if you really believe this, can i ask what is your education level? (Education is what you get at the schools and colleges, hey wait, do you know what a school is?)

July 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  79. WDB

and that's what it is cheap, scab labor

July 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Chombi

PS America is already full of haters and people who think they are better than others, hit the road jack and don't you come back no more no more. I am union and your statement is just plain narrow minded, this isn't about unions no matter how much hatred you pour in to it.

July 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Larry

Weird, some of them left countries with repressive governments to come here with the very repressive Oboma Administration.

July 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon E Moose

That's 'cos what we would call left or very left is middle-of-the-road over there.

July 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Tammy

You sir, are a disgrace. I am AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, always have been, always will be. However, for one to become an American LEGALLY is probably one of the best American's there are, they weren't born into it, they worked for it, they studied for it, and they took an oath to become one, many renouncing A LOT in order to become one. I was born an American, I didn't have to study for it, I didn't have to apply for it, I didn't have to test for it, and I haven't had to take an oath in order to be one. I'm proud of the 4 generations before me who came here, fought for it, worked for it, studied for it and even died to become a citizen so that I could be born into America. If you are in the USMC, or ever have been, remember this, when you post such vile, wicked uneducated crap, you not only disgrace us as a nation, but you disgrace my father who served as a Marine, and you disgrace the whole USMC!

July 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Chombi

LEGAL IMMIGRATION IS A PROBLEM? YOU ARE AN IMMIGRANT, DUHHHHHHHHH! Without immigrants there would only be American Indians here in the country which would be much better for them, not us, we do not belong here. So your in, so shut the door behind you? Doesn't work that way, take the blinders off it's a big world.

July 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Alan Page

Funny how in a day when European Scientist came up with a major discovery CNN initially tried to stamp it "made in USA" , then it came up with this "patriotic" subject just to "distract and lift the spirits"...so predictable..

July 4, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Bubba

I can't understand why first and second generation citizens who's parents and grandparents came from somewhere else, are so damned self-righteous!! I'd trade an immigrant who fought to get here over anybody who's here and doesn't understand what it really is to be an American. Did you know that more food stamps go to 'Americans' than immigrants? Same as everything else associated with the 'dole'. Just because you wave the flag and say the pledge, doesn't make you an American. If you can't understand it, go back to school and graduate this time

July 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • erinn

HERE! HERE!

July 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

2 crappygovernment:

you didn't read Bubba's comment, did you? The majority of those who receive government benefits like welfare or food stamps are indeed US Citizens that were born here. Most of them paid little or no taxes at all, so they are the once that didn't contribute into the system. As Bubba said, go get a degree this time.

July 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • JoeTheDoer

What makes America great is her set of values and policies which go far beyond nationalities or races. In return, those values attract people who have the same ideologies from all over the world to come work hard and fight hard for what they believe in. And usually they are the ones who contribute the most in term of percentage of their incomes. Who in their right mind turn away from these people? After all, wasn't that the metality of our founding fathers who laid the foundation of this great country? "Ask what you can do for the country..."

July 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • nodat1

Like the many Americans who have never worked and are wellfare !!!

July 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Number4

Yes, most of our problems are home grown. We could fix them if we were able to unite, but that is not possible.

July 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  86. southernwonder

tehy don't look conservatives to me.

July 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  87. jim

Welcome to the land of Sodom and Gomorrah where anything goes as long as its evil...

July 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  88. southernwonder

our immigration policy should reflect the current america. which means 80pct of the new immigrants should be white. we have quotas in colleges and in other places. we should hav it in immigration as well. the picture shows whites are being discriminated aginst.

July 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian American

WOW!!!!

July 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  89. dexter

This is exactly how I felt the since first day I come to the United State and I still have that kind of feeling even after I became US citizen. This article is a well written story of many immigrants' life in this new land.

July 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  90. guy

They became Americans because.....Canada was full? :)

July 4, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • czar33

WRONG my Friend,

July 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • cosman

And the specific references to back up your claim are where?

I didn't think so.

July 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mr Wendel

Where can I get a loan to buy for $100k for a gas station and a loan for $400k – I too want to provide employment for locals and not just add to the deficit bro!!

July 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • brian

What is stopping you czar33 from applying for the same grants. The US government is not discriminating against whoever applies for such grants. It is meant to promote business.

You are truly what your "name" suggests. A czar who probably never went past high school, now living on welfare and food stamps. Stop taking off your posterior, lose that obese ass and stand in line to open your own gas station. As much hard as it is to actually make your own living. America wouldn't be in recession if not for czars like you.

July 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  91. CAchtman

I remember when it was 29 words. I wish it still were.

July 4, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Chombi

Alright, let it go, church and state, you KNOW why that's a bad idea it has already screwed America up the way religious issues are manipulated in elections, just, let it go. Do what you want to worship, whatever you want, that's your biz.

July 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  92. ProudAmerican

Most of American are immigrants in some way, either our grandparents, or our parents or ourselves. The spirit of immigrants is pretty common when we arrived to this great and beautiful land of opportunities. We were very appreciative, we were optimistic about our future, we were very adaptive and innovative to the new world and we worked extremely hard for our American dream. That’s how and why America as a society can continue renewing its energy and continuing its prosperity. On this day of July 4, as proud American, let us not to forget this American spirit. It will carry us through any difficulties if we always remember the day when we came to this land.

July 4, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • An American

Very well written and I couldn't agree more. America is an immigrant nation founded upon a rich and diverse society. The American spirit is not inherent to one's color of their skin, religious beliefs, or gender, but is an inclusive and universal belief that anyone could adopt, so long as they believe in it. It is this that makes America a truly great and prosperous nation. In times of prosperity, we celebrate our spirits as we reflect in our achievements, but in times of difficulties, we mustn't forget the virtues of tolerance, unity, and freedom that makes our nation the greatest in the world. Happy Independence Day.

July 4, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROM

Iam a proud American. I was born in India and in America partly because when India became independent from British in 1947, the founding leaders decided that education is a key national capability and made it free for all Indians (you have to work hard and compete but don’t need to be rich), we need to subsidize higher education in the US, we cannot complain about rising healthcare costs when a student has to spend 500K to become a doctor in US unlike 5K in India.

Irrespective of economics, I believe we have the liberty and freedom and to be the best we can as Americans and lead a meaningful life. Happy Independence Day

July 4, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  93. JOSE0311USMC

LIKE WE NEED MORE IMMIGRANTS..WAY TO GO OBAMA. VOTING GOP.

July 4, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • kstabehl

Really ? JOSE , really ?

July 4, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • erinn

You know your leel of ignorance is astoundng. First sweety, unless you are Native American, you are a decendent of an immigrant, Second, honeypot, if we deported all illegals, forget a recession, call it a depression and our economy will flat line. Third, pumpkin pie, ending all immigration to America will lead to seclusion and reduction in allies, no more imports and every other country in the world will be fliiping America off. We live on the PLANET Earth, not the PLANET America. And just to let you know, there are Americans that cant tell you they are in the United States, so to discredit someone because they werent born here is a reflection of the level of IGNORANCE that is poisoning American minds. Vote for Mitt if you want and then feel STUPID when he doesnt end immigration because any SMART person (opposite of you?) knows that we need to work together in the world in order for us to live like we are.

July 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jrl

Typical lib behavior. Trashing our great tradition by talking illegal immigrant amnesty on 4th of July. There has never been a more unamerican president than Obama

July 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Explainitplease

Way to go blaming Obama! FYI, it takes years to become an immigrant and another several years to become a US citizen. Many of these LEGAL immigrants were probably waiting even before the Clinton and Bush years.

July 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Robert

Did she mention that another good motivtaion for becomming a US citizen is that in the USA, we give out food stamps, wel fare and medicaid? Try getting that in India.

July 4, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

TRY GETTING THAT IN MEXICO.

July 4, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Violet Weed

Exactly correct! Did you also notice that the writer stated boldly that she did not say the pledge of allegiance all through her school and college days because she was NOT loyal to the USA??? She is now a citizen, but again, 'not really'. Would she DIE for this country? Hardly. I'd like to see an article by a new citizen who LOVES and has always LOVED this country and is 100% happy to be an American, disavowing his or her loyalty to her birth country. THOSE are the people we want as immigrants, not opportunists who would not sacrifice their all for this great land.

July 4, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Living the dream

to Robert: Indian don't need any food stamps. Just check yr stats, that Indians are highly educated ppls...

July 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian59

Robert.... maybe you talking about American native Indians...the topic is about immigrants from various countries

July 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Explainitplease

I don't know why some people think that giving food stamps to immigrants is like giving away a Corvette.

July 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • vs101

Hey twit, there are no Indians on food stamps. Your food stamp quota is safe. Now go back to your trailer, grab some fried chicken and turn on Limpbaugh for your daily dose of mindnumbing bigotry.

July 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Luftibus

How can you be proud of the people who killed your ancestors and stole your land?

July 4, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • kas1900

I must have been out the day we learned how the United States killed Indians and stole land IN CALCUTTA INDIA

My God people, do you actually read articles before commenting

July 4, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Anon E Moose

It's True.

We also burned the Library of Alexandria (twice), assassinated Ghandi, destroyed the tower of Babel, Caused the flood back in Noah's time, burned Rome (3 times).

We're Americans and we're bad. It's what we do.

Oh yeah, and the Black Plague ? A combination of CIA biological warfare experiments and time travel.

There, all the bad things that have ever happened, wrapped up in a neat little package.

To paraphrase that guy in 'Casablance', "Round Up the Usual Suspect"

July 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Luftibus

Proud to be a Swiss, the one country where democracy works.

July 4, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Violet Weed

Proud to be Swiss??? Where 'democracy' 'works'??? What a load! Switzerland that sat on the fence during WWII, that keeps foreigners out except for tourists and millionaires (of course). Democracy 'works'???
      Hardly. The USA is where democracy works. Switzerland is where opportunism and not standing for anything reigns supreme.

July 4, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Shirley Allan

Luftibus, You sound like you graduated from the university of Glen Beck! News flash when last did check were the "AMERICAN" innovators come from? Did you read the news last week. The top student from John Hopkins university in from Nigeria.. Go check out the origin on the really EDUCATED and INNOVATIVE people in America if you can!

July 4, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Violet Weed

I have many friends who are black AFRICANS, but I have yet to meet an african-AMERICAN or black people from the Islands who are worth knowing... they are, after all, descendents of conquered people sold by their own people into slavery.

July 4, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • WDB

Here we go..another globalist buzz word..inovation = CHEAP LABOR

July 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • kas1900

again, – really JOSE, really ?

July 4, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

AMERICA HAVE NO JOBS-OUR JOBS KEEP BEING OUTSOURCE TO CHINA.
        WHY WE GOT TO END ALL LEGAL AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION..

POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LOOKING OUT FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE , BUT THEY ARE NOT. THEY ARE SECURING THEIR JOBS BY ALLOWING MORE IMMIGRANTS IN OUR COUNTRY.. MORE VOTES, MORE JOB SECURITY FOR DEMOCRATS.

July 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • WDB

i agree Jose, but it's not just the dems..it's both parties looking for cheap labor for their rich corporate fat cat buddies..

July 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • HallaBol

I guess its more security for you rather then democrats, you dont want any competetion and want to enjoy everything in life without working for it, legal immigration attracts bright talents and you are scared to compete and even face those guys.

July 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • WDB

Legal immigrants who come her on work visa's of any kind are here for one reason..they are cheap labor. I have been a computer programmer for 30 years and what I state is fact. You are not the best and brightest in the world. You just happen to be from the largest English speaking country on the face of the earth. (This is debatable). You also know how to fake a good resume and lie in job interviews.

July 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • mighty7

What is it with you Jarheads? Is there ANY of you yahoos that ACTUALLY has a brain in there or is it just all hollow with a "semper fi" recording playing over and over on a loop?

July 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Explainitplease

It is the blame the foreigners for all our problems syndrome.

July 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Number4

Those easy jobs are gone and will never return. We have to compete on the global stage now. These days most decent paying jobs require a trade school or college education, we have robots that replace people, and manufacturing can be done more cheaply in emerging countries.

July 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chombi

I am with you with a distant past of half Swiss. There are great things to be proud of and a lot of things not to be proud of about Switzerland i.e. WWII, hidden monies causing all kinds of untold damage to people around the world. So maybe back off a little my man about working democracy. Be careful.

July 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Sharkfisher

Moni said that she felt Americans did not understand her. That is a two way street. Did she try to understand Americans?So many people come to this country wanting us to accept their customs but refusing to accept ours. I have been to several countries outside the U.S. and I did not expect the people there to accept or honor my customs. It was my place to live by theirs.

July 4, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Shirley Allan

Sharkfisher, we do not want to go there please! Did the pilgrims accept the customs and cultures of the original Americans? I guess not, if they did they would have been so different in America. While I agree that those who migrate to a country has to assimilate, assimilating and accepting you customs, belies and cultures are different.. Case in point are you telling me that because Americans (well those who came running away from religious persecution as they claim) believe that America was founded on Christianity and they practice Christianity, people who came to America with different religious beliefs and customs should abandon what they believe and practice and adopt yours? Tell that to the American Indians let's see what they think about that.

July 4, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Violet Weed

The USA was founded as a CHRISTIAN country. Before the USA was founded, there were natives living on the land, it is true. They had very rudimentary societies and many tribes still cannibalized the other tribes when they defeated them. Hardly a FIRST world country. It was those brave Christians who set out across the Atlantic Ocean to an unknown world who founded the first FIRST world country, the USA. The USA is a 'melting pot'... those who come here should meld into the existing American society and culture, and leave behind their third-world beliefs. It is not for Americans to learn to speak your foreign language or your foreign country culture and beliefs. If you want to worship Allah or Krishna, go back to your homeland.

July 4, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
      • NYCBlondie

Wow, is that offensive. As a non-Christian American (born here and raised by American-born parents), I am appalled that ANY American would assert this is a Christian country. The Pilgrims risked their lives to journey to this land in pursuit of religious freedom. Not to establish a Christian nation. Somebody needs to repeat 4th grade social studies.

July 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Jim

I applaud those who take the time – and the legal steps – to become citizens. I wonder how they feel when some politicians think that catering to illegal immigrants encompasses these hard-workers and patriotic new Americans.

July 4, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Luftibus

American politicians are corrupt beyond repair. They have become the mafia of the world.

July 4, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Violet Weed

It is the news media that is corrupt beyond belief, particularly MSNBC, CNN and other liberal organizations that are members of the devil's minions. Some politicians are corrupt, but not all.

July 4, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

I AGREE. OUR POLITICIANS ARE CROOKS. THEY WILL SELL OUT THEIR MOTHER FOR THE RIGHT PRICE...WHY AMERICA IS BECOMING A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY LIKE MEXICO.

July 4, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  99. Shirley Allan

Good question. I happen to be and American citizen of Dominican (Commonwealth of Dominica, not Dominican Republic) origin, who thinks that I am citizen of the world! I came to America in 1996, by then I was 37 years old and had two children. I came for the reasons that most people who come to America come for, better opportunities for my children and myself, more for my children than for me. Suffice it to say that things are not what I expected them to be.

I became an American citizen in 2006 and had the privileged of voting for the first black president of the USA, that to me was deep and important. It was a very hard decision for me to that step to taking that and becoming and American citizen since I thought it was a betrayal to my country. I then realized that being an American citizen in no way affects my ability to love my Dominican culture, heritage and values. Sometimes I think that I am torn between two lovers, my new country America, and my Dominican heritage and culture. I love them both although I am happy with everything about either of them. What defines me is being a Dominican American who believe that we are all citizens of the world!

July 4, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Shirley Allan

Corrected version: Good question. I happen to be and American citizen of Dominican (Commonwealth of Dominica, not Dominican Republic) origin, who thinks that I am a citizen of the world! I came to America in 1996, by then I was 37 years old and had two children. I came for the reasons that most people who come to America come for, better opportunities for my children and myself, more for my children than for me. Suffice it to say that things are not what I expected them to be.

I became an American citizen in 2006 and had the privilege of voting for the first black president of the USA, that to me was deep and important. It was a very hard decision for me to take that step to taking the oath and becoming an American citizen since I thought it was a betrayal to my country. I then realized that being an American citizen in no way affects my ability to love my Dominican culture, heritage and values. Sometimes I think that I am torn between two lovers, my new country America, and my Dominican heritage and culture. I love them both although I am NOT happy with everything about either of them. What defines me is being a Dominican American who believe that we are all citizens of the world!

July 4, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
      • JOSE0311USMC

I'M VOTING FOR MID ROMNEY BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT HE WILL DO WHAT IS BEST FOR AMERICA. DEPORTING ALL THE ILLEGALS IS BEST FOR AMERICA..CUTTING–OR–ENDING ALL LEGAL IMMIGRATION IS BEST FOR AMERICA...

July 4, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Tim

Great, are you part of the 98% of racist black Americans who voted for Obama based solely on his race?

July 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Number4

If we stopped legal immigration completely, this country would be even worse off. Only about half of Americans pay taxes currently. We have to keep importing people who will pay taxes so that the rest of the lazy slobs can continue to live off the public teat. Either that or we deport the lazy people who don't want to work in return for highly skilled immigrants who want to work here.

July 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Raju charles

Proud to be an Indian American! I God bless America!

July 4, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Anjelic

Raju,
      Congradulations on your citizenship. I admire someone who actually takes the time to learn our customs and goes to school to learn our language and laws. At least your not one of those foreigners that come here for free medical care and free handouts then go back to their own country. You also took the oath to defend us, support us, etc. unlike many foreigners who expect a free ride!

July 4, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
      • 4mTX

If someone wanted free medical care Anerica is not the place to come!

July 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • WDB

Did you come here on a work visa?

July 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • desiranger

America does not have free medical. In fact, It is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE Country for medical.

July 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Number4

Not only do we pay more for healthcare than most countries, but we have poor outcomes for the amount of money spent. We spend a ton of money, but get very little in return.

July 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • nearearth

Health care is free to illegals in the US. The border states emergency rooms are clogged with illegals who are in no way in need of emergency care. Here's where it becomes free- they don't pay their bill! Since they aren't citizens, there's no way to know who they are, and no way collect from them what they owe.

July 4, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |