September 11th, 2012

Opinion: American Muslims live in fear 11 years after 9/11

Editor's Note: Sumbul Ali-Karamali is the author of The Muslim Next Door: the Qur’an, the Media, and that Veil Thing, and Growing up Muslim: Understanding the Beliefs and Practices of Islam. She is on the steering committee of Women in Islamic Spirituality and Equality and is a member of the Muslim Women’s Global Shura Council, both of which aim to promote women’s rights and human rights from an Islamic perspective.

By Sumbul Ali-Karamali, Special to CNN

(CNN) - My father always told me never to talk about religion, politics, or other people’s children. He was part of a generation of American Muslims who wanted to stay quiet and assimilate into American life and not rock the boat. Growing up in Southern California, I tried to follow his advice.

But after 9/11, I found that I, along with other American Muslims,  have had little choice but to talk about religion.

Although countless Muslims have condemned the acts of 9/11 in the United States and worldwide, American Muslims became objects of suspicion.

The 9/11 terrorists broke numerous laws of Islam and were denounced as mass murderers by Islamic religious leaders.  Even so, Islam is viewed as a religion preaching violence.

In the aftermath, amidst the fear and anger, many American Muslims realized that the reason Americans were so quick to believe the worst about Muslims after the horrific attacks of 9/11 was that Americans knew little about even the most basic tenets of Islam.

And we realized that if we didn’t explain our beliefs and traditions, then other people would write our stories for us.

Despite our efforts, that’s exactly what has happened.

Although 9/11 did compel some Americans to learn more about Islam, it also triggered a wave of anti-Islam feeling that has burgeoned.  And though there have been interfaith initiatives, books on Islam, documentaries, education efforts, and shows like "All-American Muslim," polls show that Americans’ negative views of Islam have increased since 9/11, not decreased.

Such trends cannot help but discourage even the most optimistic of American Muslims; many of us are more fearful now than a decade ago, and entire Muslim communities feel besieged.

Anti-mosque incidents have escalated in recent years. Earlier this summer, a mosque in Joplin, Missouri, burned to the ground. Last year, Roger Stockham was arrested with explosives outside the Islamic Center in Dearborn, Michigan. An arson fire seriously damaged a mosque in Wichita, Kansas, last year. And incidents of mosque vandalism have become more common.

Hate groups have been on the rise, too; one of the most horrific hate crimes was the murder of Shaima Alawadi, a young mother who had received anonymous notes calling her a terrorist.

Almost every Islamic studies professor or speaker I personally know - whether they are Muslim or not - receives hate mail and sometimes death threats.

How has this happened in our country? There are many reasons. It is not simply a lack of information about American Muslims, but also misinformation and, in many cases, outright fabrications about what Islam entails and what Muslims believe. An example of one of the most ridiculous is the assertion that Muslims cannot abide dogs; we are so evil, apparently, that man’s best friend is our enemy. (See Muslims with Dogs, a website that flippantly dispels this nonsense.)

The Center for American Progress issued a report in 2011 which documented a small but extremely well-funded network of anti-Islam fear-mongers who have worked diligently to spread misinformation about Islam. Directly or indirectly, these fear-mongers fomented the “ground zero mosque” hysteria, promoted the film “The Third Jihad,” which the New York Police Department showed as a training video - and was strongly criticized for doing so - and have been responsible for Islamophobic advertisements on public buses all over the country.

This anti-Islam rhetoric has been connected to violence, too: Anders Breivik, who murdered more than 70 people in Norway, cited anti-Islam bloggers numerous times in his manifesto, in which his stance against “Islamization” was a clear theme.

It’s not just a lack of information on Islam that American Muslims have had to battle, it is an increasing body of vitriolic myths and tall tales about Islam and Muslims that we continually have to explain or dismiss.

Particularly frightening is the eagerness with which public figures and political officials have leapt onto the Islamophobia bandwagon. Peter King’s “Muslim radicalization” hearings,  Michele Bachmann’s baseless accusations of public officials being linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, and the NYPD’s long-term spying on Muslim communities (which produced no leads) are just several examples of the increasing demonization of every Muslim and, increasingly, the entire religion of Islam.

Rising anti-Islamic sentiment in America troubles Muslims

Islam is the second-largest religion in the world, and Muslims comprise more than one-fifth of the world’s population. No religion can flourish for 1,400 years  without being flexible and adaptable.

The defamatory rhetoric directed at Muslims and Islam in this country has little to do with the actual religion or its adherents and everything to do with fear of the Other.

For American Muslims, the past decade has been tumultuous. We have emerged from private life to public life, into the public sphere in an effort to aid understanding between the communities of our multicultural country.

We do it not only for ourselves, but because irrational fear of Islam and Muslims is bad for all Americans: it frays the social fabric of our society; it creates divisions between Americans; it affects the health of our democracy; and it affects the wisdom of our policy choices.

In the last decade, I have encountered numerous Americans who understand this and who, despite the fear-mongers, have made remarkable efforts to connect with Muslims.

Recently, I spoke at a Jewish temple as part of their educational series.  They broke into spontaneous applause during my talk on Islam and women,  and gave me a standing ovation at the end.

They were one of the many moving examples of generosity and openness I have encountered in the past decade. And that, despite the discouragement and fear, is what gives me hope for the future.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Sumbul Ali-Karamali.

soundoff (2,533 Responses)
  1. LetFreedomRing

Would you be happier if the infidels in the civilized world treated Muslims with the same tolerance shown to non-Muslims wherever Muslims are dominant? If so, you may just get your wish in the near future.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nasrullah Mohammed

No not at all... don't get me wrong... I hate Taliban and I was so happy that Bin Ladin is dead... in Islam it is called 'Fitna' Actually these guys are cancer to Islam...

September 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sooner

Maybe you guys are in a well. Thats why u r thinking others are in the well.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. allanhowls

"My god is bigger than your god."
    Every post on here could just as easily be about Christianity and the hatred and pain they've caused. But when it's your religion, you don't see it that way...it's only Those People who are guilty.

We'd all be better off taking responsibility for our own lives, rather than putting it in the hands of invisible people who just kinda made everything, absolving us of taking care of ourselves and others.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • politico

Your argument doesn't hold water for Atheists. Muslims need to be removed from this country.

September 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • KingAtomsk

I think bigots like you need to be removed from this country.

September 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. howdoyoulovehate

Americans are not the only ones who hvae reservations about Isla. This author, if she is truly not anti-Christian or American values, is an exception to the Muslim, rabies fuled animalistic aggressive behavior, not the norm.
    I have read and educated myslef on Muslim ideals (i.e. Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds,Mohammed, etc..). I do not hate Muslims, I am simply being realistic. American is not the lone ranger in this "anti-muslim" feeling, Every nation that is not run by Muslim law, does their best to avoid daily suicide bombings.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jdk

How ironic that this is printed the same day muslims are storming the US embassy in Egypt...for nothing but irrational fanaticism.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • KingAtomsk

Coincidence != Irony

September 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tex

Seems to me that many of the Christians here are forgetting that the greatest commandments Jesus gave us – we are to love God and love our neighbors. Hate, fear, and greed are contrary to said commandments. Too many self described Christians are really just preaching the doctrine of a well known atheist, Ayn Rand. I mean if we were a truly Christian nation, the modern day Republicans would never win an election.

"Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

September 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • howdoyoulovehate

Jesus would not require us to be killed. Love was offered, and rejected. The Bible says to "wash you hands" of a people if they continually decline your message. The Bible does not say to hate or hurt them, but it says to move on basically, and not beat your head against a wall if your mission is repeatedly rejected.

September 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack 2

You're the one that's cluless. can't you see what your religion is doing to the world. it's not just us, it's many other countries. You are so arrogant and brainwashed you can't see the evilness of your religion.

September 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LetFreedomRing

Muslims lucky enough to live in the civilized world will have reason to complain when they get treated like a Jew in Saudi Arabia. Until then, be glad we don't follow the example of Mohammed (PBUH). That time may very well come and it may be sooner than you think.

September 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • always2sides

what does Saudi Arabia's king have to do with the teachings of Muhammad or Islam period? He is a puppet of the west.

September 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • LetFreedomRing

The Kingdom is the keeper of the holy places of Islam that ALL Muslims are required to visit at least once in their lives (although "infidels" are forbidden from even traveling to Mecca) and is also the major funding source for the spread of Islam around the world. Perhaps we should treat Islamic proselytizers the same way Muslims treat Christians and others. What is Islam's punishment for those attempting to spread other religions again?

September 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sooner

I am an indian living in America. I love my birth nation and my adopted nation. I felt very bad for what happened on this day 11years back. And no human being who wants democracy should forget what happened on that day. Muslim Brotherhood not preaching violence is a Myth, Just like world coming to end in 2012.
    Muslims living in these nations have no right to talk about freedom because they themselves wont provide freedom for people living in muslim nations.
    The author should look at the fate of Hindus and Christians living in Pakistan. The blasphemy case they put on the Hindus and Muslims living there.
    The hindus and Christians in saudi and other middle east are treated as second class citizens.
    I am an Indian but i respect american values. I respect american values because the country has provided me with lot of oppurtunities.
    Maybe the muslim community should leave the country and go back to the middle east.

September 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack 2

I agree...they don't know what happens when the muslims grow into large numbers. the evidence is in their recent history. The muslims that don't agree should sit back and put themselves on our shoes.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Proud American

Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

September 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Letstalk

Hello Sir: I am Indian too and yes I am a Muslim. You do realize that the author referring about the ‘American’ Muslims and on its fundamentality America is a ‘free’ world irrespective of your faith and race. Nowhere in the article is author mentioning that Muslims are ALL good and not involved in wrong doing. Unfortunately the more visible part of Muslims is bad, but since non-Muslims are being treated badly in some Muslim countries doesn’t mean that American Muslims can’t build a life in America, like you.
      For you information Islam is not confined to Egypt or Pakistan or India, it’s a religion spread all over the world and if you can give me a hand full of examples , I can give tons of examples where Muslims are co-existing with all other religions and leading a peaceful life.
      I agree that American Muslims have a long path to recovery to come out of the shadows of stereotyping sine 9/11, but we will reach there. Until then neither you nor anybody for that reason has a right to tell us to LEAVE USA… We are here for a better life like you and we are not going anywhere, like ‘millions ‘ of Indian Hindus who are living in Middle East. Can you imagine what will happen to INDIA if they are all asked to go back, my 2 cents!

September 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Debbie(Asian)

Sorry I do need to improve my English since it is my second language. I do have curiosity to learn the religions which are foreign to us. If you go Asia and Europe, not so many people are so religious any more. I did read New Testament, the similar love words can be found in Quran too. In summary, do not be fundamental. I am outsider try to be neutral.

September 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. george

Hey Jack who was here before "native Americans"?? Unless your wife was the exact first person ever to step foot on this continent then who is native?? Please dude..........

And when any other religion starts blowing themselves up on purpose to kill other completely innocent people then we'll critisize that religion too. We know not all people are bad but.........generally speaking terrorist are muslim. There I said it. Once leaders admit that to themselves and muslims leaders do something about it we'll all be better off.

September 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rollntimes

Personally , I am going to go with both sides on this, I dont know about Islamic religion nor do i care to . I know of the christan religion and even grew up a majority of my life with it , nor do i care to believe in that way either. Should Muslims live in fear while living in the USA? "No!" Like it or not folks this is the home of the free and land of the brave. HOWEVER should we live in fear of Muslims "Yes!" how often do you hear of bomb threats and 99.99% of the time its someone of Islamic faith? BUT i dont blame religion on all this mess , I blame those who are completely brainwashed into it , the "Die Hard Christan's" or "Radical Islamic's" . I pray our next president weather its Obama or Romney will engrave the thoughts and ideas of Reagan into them and their brain. America is huge and not to well liked by many countries and when you become powerful and big , every little guy wants a chance to take down the big guy at the top. And that is why we need someone like Ronald Reagan now , no one messed with us except the other largest country at that time in the entire world , USSR. Why? Because Ron wasnt afraid to push the button and declare your country into a parking lot ! And that my friends is reality. To quote T. Roosevelt "Walk softly and carry a big stick" that should be our nations motto! And as far as American Muslims living in fear of others Americans "DON'T" BUT you either stand with us or against us !

September 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • always2sides

scary, terrorists think much like you do.

September 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Naturalized American

a little off topic but
    -1NOT everyone from a predominantly islamic country is muslim. I am sick of telling I am not muslim to each and every single person I meet. I am proud to be American and I don't like to be called with the name of the country where I was born and raised but have no connection anymore.
    – 2. Indeed, Islam is generally intolerant and against human rights. But keep in mind that there are a few SECULAR countries with a majority of their population is muslim; i.e. Turkey, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan. People in these countries practice a different version of Islam which is reformed and modified with modern lifestyle. Turkey for example was is an official candidate for European Union membership and people have most(but not all) freedoms like in western countries.

September 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • howdoyoulovehate

It is maddenng when black people think that they are African-American. You are one generation away from being from a different nation, yet you correctly call yourself American. I thank you.

September 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. exCONsrvtv

I feel for Muslims and I believe most are peace loving. But they should have condemned what their religious counterparts were doing much more aggressively. Instead, they kept low and so appear to be as such likewise the enemy.

September 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Friendship-Sisterhood

They kept low out of fear. A man, small business owner, in my neighborhood had the coolers busted out in his gas station 9/12/01. Grown American men, of the most vile breed, threatened the lives of this whole family following 9/11. This family was so afraid they removed their children from school and would no longer allow my daughter to come play at their house because they feared for her safety while she was with them...

September 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • politico

Instead of living in fear, they should have packed up the camel and gone home.

September 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • always2sides

Since when are 19 punks from Saudi our "religious counterparts"? Did Muslims demand Christians condemn Breivik, the killer in Norway, or James Homes, or Tim Mcveigh. What about the hundreds of thousands killed by Bush in Iraq or Afghanistan that had no citizens involved in 9-11? What about the innocent American Muslims killed by racist haters, who has apologized for that?

September 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

None of the westerns you name committed their heinous acts in the name of Christianity, unlike the Hijackers, who expressly killed 3,000 + people in the name of Islam. Sorry, but your ridiculous attempt at moral equivalence falls flat.

September 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

Hence here is yet another piece that may not help your cause.
    Protesters storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo

September 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zahra Zadeh

As long as US continues to support dictators and pays off Israel $3 billion year so they can survive this is what will be in store for them. I really think US should pay more attention at home, North Philadelphia needs schools. Lower main line needs Jobs and more.

September 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mike

Oh the horror. That bad old US supporting one of it's standing allies in the middle east and the only democracy in the middle east for decades. You do realize that we send billions to Egypt as well.

Also, it's laughable how you scold the US for supporting dictators. Where is your outrage over China, Russia, and pretty much EVERY 1st world nation? Where is your outrage at Muslims supporting their own totalitarian regimes?

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • phillylady66

What a good point. Philly does need a lot as do other AMERICAN cities. Our focus is all wrong these days.

September 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

And as long as statements like that are made, Muslims will be viewed as the enemy.

September 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Isabella

Mike:
        Well said. You Zahra: I can detect the threat in your comment.

September 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. fiftyfive55

Seeng as how we've been at war in the mideast since the re-establishment of Israel,I understand why muslims in America live in fear.

September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • phillylady66

We are in the Middle East for one reason: OIL. That is why anyone not from the Middle East has had ANY interest in the area since the WWII era. Religious issues cloud the fact that it is really all about control of oil. If there were no oil under all that sand, no one in Europe or America would have ever given a damn WHAT goes on there...

September 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Riffat

I am amazed to see this article. Look no further than the Islamic Pakistan. The "Landof the Pure" is the killing field for her millions of non-muslim citizens (Christians, Hindues, etc) and even members of other muslim sects (Ahmadis, and others).

September 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. libdumb

Protesters attack US Embassy in Cairo resulting in taking down the US flag.

The replacement flag read, "There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is his messenger.

I should care that they feel threatened in the US? Give me a break.

September 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melisssa

Amen.

September 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mike

And last year a Christian in Norway gunned down a bunch of innocent bystanders. Where's your outrage?

September 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

as I remember, there was plenty of outrage.

September 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Meeks

I'm an American. My parents immigrated from Pakistan in the 60s. I'm not a practicing Muslim. Still I've been harrassed and threatened more times than I can count by people citing "9/11" as if I'm suddenly an evil foreigner. What's worse is the amount of bullying and harrassment brown kids are facing in elementary and high schools because their parents are telling them that Muslims are the enemy.

September 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • deep blue

"we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining."- President Bush, 2001.
      We aspired to be better than that. I hope things get better for you.

September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • EP

These words sound so shallow in light of these posts. Sorry Meeks, it looks like things are not getting any better

September 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

As a white American who is disgusted by all this, I'm teaching my kid to treat such injustice to others as injustice to himself. If my child saw a bully beat up another just for being brown, my child would have carte blanche to return the favor.

September 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joel

So how do we tell the difference between Muslims who believe in all of the violent messages in the Korean, and those who don't? I had a Muslim scholar, a guest speaker at USC Law School, once tell me, "There are no violent messages in the Koran." I immediately read for him some of the Koranic passages that advocate killing people and beating women, and showed him what an unabashed liar he was. So how do we tell the difference?

September 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Aasim Soomro

Just ask. Forming an opinion about somebody before meeting them is called prejudice.

September 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • SD

Nice insertion of 'brown' in the rant. Sensible parents in all 'brown' countries with Muslim presence have also taught their children to remain at a safe distance from this community – all for good reasons!

September 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dw

Kinda like this?

Deuteronomy 20:16-17
    King James Version (KJV)

16 But of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
    17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them;

Oops... wrong book...

September 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • george

DW....doesnt the bible actually "imply" that God will destroy..........it doesnt say people should destroy the people who lived in the city. Matter of fact the entire bible continually states that people will answer to God for their behavior on earth. Maybe I missed something.....BUT........where were we anyway getting off on Korans and bibles here. The story is about muslims living in fear. Actually we all live in fear.........I think Americans (all Americans even muslims) live in less fear here than anywhere in the world.

September 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • carry panty farmer

Check the context in the preceding verses to see WHY that directive was issued. Or cherry pick on line out of a story that runs several books and present it as the simple truth. Either way...

September 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mike

This is why Obama will win in November. The far-right has revealed itself to be based on a platform of hate. It's not about what ideas they have. Nope. It's about how much they hate Obama, how much they hate Muslims, how much they hate unions, how much they hate the poor. No ideas. Just hate. AMERICA IS TIRED OF THE HATRED.

September 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • politico

America and the GOP are tired of the freeloaders. Obama has it that 47% are on the government dole, up from 19% under Bush #1. That is what we HATE. Lefties like Obama buying votes while we feed and clothe their "oppressed." IF you fit in that 47% that are stealing the results of our hard work, whilst you do NOTHING to better yourself, then go find another country and stop destroying ours.

– A Son of the American Revolution.

September 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

90% of Republicans are racist and 70% of Democrats are socialist...I can make up numbers too.

September 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • dw

Made up numbers are made up.

September 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Isabella

Bravo! Good comment!

September 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • LetFreedomRing

What Republicans have come to "hate" are the parasites who have bankrupted the nation. The next election will prove whether we've crossed the Rubicon and the parasites have finally outnumbered the producers.

September 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

The parasites like Romney who use the country's infrastructure to become wealthy but find away to avoid paying their fair share? me too. Or how about Wal-Mart which always builds in redevelopment zones to avoid paying property taxes.

September 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • george

Mike you are absolutely correct I hate the poor. Please......I hate the poor really?? I hate unions........come on. Only republicans can hate is that your message?? Liberals cant hate?? BTW I am not either.........but I have noticed democrats are MUCH more .......demonstrative in their support or non-support (hate) of any other idea, thought, or belief. Liberals and democrats are very intolerant. ROLL TIDE

September 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

...talk about hate, envy, and hypocrisy!!! Democrats HATE republicans because of our values, Democrats envy republicans because of personal success, and Democrats fill their pockets with mostly republican's money, right? After all, republicans are the 1%, right? And according to Obama, nothing you've done or achieved, you've done that yourself, so Democrats must have gotten all of their fortunes from Republicans, right? .... whatever... Democrats don't even know what they argue anymore, they've become a pathetic bunch of lunatics.... Vote Romney!!

September 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Chin Tu Fat

I don't mean to insult anyone. Kafir just meas – the one who hides. Kuffar is the plural of kafir. May God protect us from being the kuffar because there is nothing worse than the punishment of the grave and the hereafter. The people that are taking away innocent human lives unjustly will see their fate in their graves. And torment for eternity is not a joke. 60-70 years of hate, oppression, ignorance, injustice against Muslims is nothing to what the disbelievers have to pay for. We can't stand a nail being pulled out of our fingers, and here the kuffar boldly accept being torched for eternity.

September 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • w2lucky

Now, I don't believe a word of what you said, but in the US we have freedom of speech and it is appropriate to respect the belief of others. In the Muslim world where people attack the US embassy like animals, because their fath has been offended (by God knows who), that kind of behavior is acceptable.

September 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rak79

Well said Jack, well said.

September 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Debbie

If you read old testimony of the Bible, (Bible says the girl has to marry the man who raped her......) it is same. Do not be fundamentalists. Quran is customized Bible most of the penalty came from Bible, such as stoning the infidel to death......

September 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

By the way, I am non-religious and view religions as the ancient social moral codes, They are part of the human history, we should try to separate culture from religions, most of all separate politics from religions. I heard from a Christian saying, politics need compromise, while religion can not be compromise. when they mixed, it cause problem.

September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • carry panty farmer

So the self admitted non-religious has an opinion on religion? Wanna hear my opinion as a man on tampons?

September 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. KM

"Even so, Islam is viewed as a religion preaching violence."

Maybe she needs to read the story today about the people in Cairo storming the US embassy. The religion doesn't seem to preach violence, it just is.

September 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dale N.M.

Hmmmm I wonder why? Look what just happened Cairo Egypt, Muslims trash and American embassy just because of a movie ?
    All Muslims cannot be trusted; every time when they get the chance to do so, they will fall back to the Koran, and do what they are taught to do, kill nonbelievers of the Islam faith, kill all infidels.

September 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. EP

I am not a Muslim, I just looked this up:
    There are 2.1 Billion Muslims in the world, 30% of the world population.
    There are 8 Million Muslims in this county.
    81% are American citizen (6.6M).
    40% (3.2M) are born in this country.
    27% have a college degree (45% have some college attendance)
    35% earn more than $80K per year. Many small business owners.
    35% own a home
    And last but not least:
    30% are WHITE

Looks like a pretty dangerous bunch to me! let’s send them “home”, wherever that is…

September 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

15% are crazy zealots .... that's the statistical number I don't like....

September 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • EP

source please? Mine is Pew Research Center

September 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack 2

Time to adjust things.

September 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • MuslimDude

@EP – Those are very interesting stats. Puts the whole "US is turning to Sharia Law" and "Muslims taking over the US" into perspective.

September 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  29. deep blue

All Muslims have the same values as Bin Laden, just as all Christians have the same values as Hitler.
    I haven't heard any Christian condemnation of the Holocaust, but I really haven't bothered to look for it, so I'm just going to take that as support.
    I haven't heard any Muslim condemnation of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, largely because I didn't bother google "Muslims condemn 9/11 terrorist attacks," but I'm just going to take their silence as support.
    The totally use sound logic here.

September 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • deep blue

*I totally use sound logic here.
      is what I meant to say, but
      *thee totally use sound logic here
      also works.

September 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandra

Hey Deep Bue, you need to go back to school!!

September 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jeff

You should be ashamed for putting this as the headline of the website on 9/11. An opinion piece about how bad muslims have it while muslims are currently breaking into the US embassy in Cairo, tearing down our flag, and claiming allah is the only God. These pieces by American mulsims attempting to portray their laid back, accepting, and peace loving version of the religion is never going to catch on while the middle east continues to have such wonderful news emanating from it. Muslim majority countries include open-minded, inclusive, and secure places like: Pakistan, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Somalia, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Mali, etc. So excuse us if we aren't excited to hear the religion's ideas and spread them around.

September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • politico

Amen. It is disgusting and an insult to all Americans to publish this article today.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • bobfrog

The woman of this article is an American and is totally appropriate for this day's news.

September 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • SD

Truer words were ne'er uttered! Bravo!!

September 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Number4

I'm curious to hear the criteria are you using to decide if people deserve to live in this country. An IQ test? The ability to read, write, and speak English at a 12th grade level? Knowledge of American history? If you are using those criteria,at least 50% of Americans should be deported.

September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texan

LOL #4. It's obvious QQ fails miserably in the IQ department. It's people like him who harm this country with their hate borne out of ignorance.

September 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Hugh Jass

I've said this 100 times, so once more: America is dissolving the Islamic culture. The radicals know they are losing, so they call us 'the Great Satan' and try to paint us as sinful and bad, and it just makes their kids want to see more. I knew we'd won two or three years ago when al-Qiada debuted their jihad rap song. Rap? Ha ha ha, bring it on. They all know our delicious and attractive unveiled actresses by name; we don't notice their films at all. They hear us rapping, singing, rocking out, and it's better than their music. They see us going forward, while they cling to the past. Shooting at us is the radicals' last gasp, like those loonies who protest at soldiers' funerals. Stop pushing them away; drag them in! It is literally the American Way to befriend our enemies.

September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Debbie

IQuote "We do it not only for ourselves, but because irrational fear of Islam and Muslims is bad for all Americans: " Are you serious? Muslims go berserk because someone draws a caricature of something that represents Mohammad and they start killing people, just because of that. And you tell us we have an "irrational fear"... we're not fearful of you people, we think a lot of you are crazy for believing nonsense. Your culture has kept you in the dark ages, and you think it's OK. If some of your crazy brothers were to face us when they attack us, we'd be OK, but NO, these coward fanatical muslims place bombs and kill innocent people. We have no fear of them, we despise them and want them dead. Don't confuse that or misinterpret our resolve. For the rest of the muslims, you guys should lighten up and enjoy freedom here in America and stop complaining too much, 'cause it's boring!!!

September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • EP

Right, nothing like believing that the Earth is 6000 years old like 40% of the people in this country believe!

September 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • politico

Source, EP?

September 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

Just because your interpretation of the Bible's days of creation, doesn't quite mean that the earth is only 6000 years old, but if so, what? When you can guarantee me that your carbon dating machine is 100% accurate, then I'll let you know in a little secret, ok? 😉 For scientists to speculate that the earth is millions of years old is a bit pathetic, is like the global warming lunatics, "...the earth will be gone as we know it in 5 years if we don't stop cars" ..."... yeah, stop using cars, eating meat, etc, etc..." give us a break... you can't predict what the weather is going to be like next month, and you're predicting 5 years down the road? ... Cimate is cyclical, unless you didn't know that. Climate DOES CHANGE, that's why it is called Climate! nothing specific about it, only relational.

September 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. SD

Does CNN not have enough news to publish? This article makes top section Today???

One merely needs to open one's eyes to see what the reality worldwide is – it is the non-Muslims who live in increasing fear, not vice-versa.

So far as this article and similar ones that we see bombarding the free-press everyday, it is an integral part of Islamic propaganda machinery at work. Don't believe me? Well how many of the readers have heard of the "Al-Taqiyya" principle (Qur’anic verse 3:28 )? Deceit towards non-believers is legitimate, affirmative and integral to Islam. It is a duty, not just an obligation.

It is saddening to see the mainstream media aiding deceptive Islamic agenda worldwide whether by act of omission or commission.

September 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. John Steel

GOOD! They should. They belong to an evil cult whose principles are in direct conflict with those things Americans hold dear. They should either move to an Islamic nation or find a new religion.

September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shak

or better yet we can stay in America where most of us were born, practice our religion and take care of our families.

September 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Nancy Ziangi

Why are we only concerned about Muslims living in fear? The whole world is living in fear. We all have to remove our belts and shoes at the airports, we have to worry about some sort of attack on public persons and places, extra precautions and checks everywhere. Fear of attack on buses, trains, well known buildings and landmarks all over the world, even at Muslim places of prayer. Compare this to life only 20 or so years back. This is all due to some crazy Muslims hiding behind the religion and using terror for their ideology. But some blame goes to most of the Muslims because when somebody puts up a cartoon which barely suggests some joke about Muslim faith or belief the extremely large majority of Muslims protest but when terrorist Muslims commit a terrorist act hardly any Muslim protests against it. With this type of behavior what do you expect from all the non-Muslim people! Cheering at the terrorist act committed by some Muslims or even not protesting against it means majority of Muslim community approves of it. In that situation I think Muslims deserve what they get and should be happy that it is so mild, just the fear that something bad may happen. You want to improve this get out and protest vigorously against all the terrorist incidents and particularly the ones claimed by Muslim terrorists or even create and fund a organization whose mission is to disrupt, capture or kill terrorists.

September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  37. sport99

ALL religions are an ILLUSION of HUMAN IMAGINAITION. There is not God, and if there is, he certainly doens't give a crap about you! God answers no prayers, no matter what you call him, Allah or otherwise. I can flip a coin, and it's a 50-50 chance it will be right. If I pray to God for something, for example, a job, and I get this job, it is not because God answered my prayer, but because statistically somebody had to get this job........SO PLEASE SPARE US AND YOURSELF THIS ARROGANCE.......IT'S TIME TO TAKE A REALITY PILL!

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. disgustedvet

I know a few Muslim Americans personally and they are quite nice people once you get to know them. Problem being they often are stand-offish towards non-Muslims to the point of seeming arrogant or even antagonistic. It's hard to get to know someone who is glaring at you .

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • politico

It's also hard to get to know someone that "was" wearing a dynamite vest.

September 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack 2

first of all they are outnumbered. secondly what's a fewe nice muslims have to do with the direction of islam? They don't control anything. The clerics and imamas do and they are all radical.

September 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. JB

Because of doing of such a horrible thing, entire community has to suffer.
    We can't change the perception of every bad person.
    In this world there are thousands of relegion people are following.I wish that every religion were wearing same kind of clothes, no restriction that they have to wear turban or have to grow bear etc. Why do we have to differentiate religion by wearing an estblished pattern clothers etc. By doing so many innocent people live everyday in fear.

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Harry

I love to see Muslims to demonstrate their disgust with terrorist acts in action.
    Muslims need to go in streets in thousands and show the rest of the world that they hate these acts of terror as much as all of us.Respect has to be earned

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • sioxan

It's high time we put an end to this, it's 11 years. We had our revenge. Our invasions took 100's of thousands of lives already in Iraq and Afghanistan and still counting. We have to move on.

September 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mike

I can't wait to see what all you hate filled lunatics do when Obama wins again. But know that I will be there, pointing and laughing at you, mocking your rage. You had your chance to show America what you're about, and we're not buying it. Hatred doesn't sell.

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Ironic considering that your whole rant is hate filled...

September 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • sioxan

What has Obama to do with this ? or was that racist element in your comment ?

September 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rod C. Venger

Not content to allow Americans to mourn their dead, Muslims seek to make this all about them. This pathetic article is just one sign of their Islamocentric thinking. There's also the rioting in Cairo. They saw fit to storm the US Embassy there, tear down the American flags and replace them with Islamic banners. It's no coincidence that they did so on 9/11. Do we protest during their Ramazzan? Nah. We just go about our business. Islam and American society are simply not compatible and their failure to not just keep quiet for one single day is all the proof we need.

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Numerous terrorist acts have been carried out by right wing fools against Muslims, you twit. You don't think they have the right to say something? Get out of my country.

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • january2454

Sorry, Mike. Rod can stay. He speaks the truth.

Islam is incompatible with life in a free society.

September 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Melisssa

Sorry Mike – you're wrong. January is right so is the original commentor.

September 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. GT.

Angry Muslims just attacked the US embassy in Egypt, on 9/11, where is the US Muslim community condemnation of that?

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Isabella

Exactly! There will not be any.

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • mike

That's EGYPT. What the hell has that got to do with American Muslims? Good God the stupidity must be painful...

September 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • mike

Hey, some white Christian guy in Europe shot up a whole bunch of people in Norway last year. When are you gonna apologize?

September 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • politico

To Mike,
        The US embassy is US property. Where is the outrage of the non-violent Muslims. Oh, wait, there aren't any, so they have nothing to say!

September 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • deep blue

Just in, we are just getting the perspective of a random Muslim guy on the Egyptian assault on the embassy. He has no foreign policy expertness, but we are interviewing him to the the "Muslim" perspective because obviously he isn't a real American. We would interview his wife, but we know she must be oppressed because she is a married Muslim woman. Sad story.
      Oh, just in, he is not really Muslim. We just assumed he was because of his skin color. Oops.

September 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

We'd be lucky if they don't start dancing in the streets just like they did on 9/11

September 11, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Debbie

..Ms. Sumbul Ali-Karamali, whose fault is it? Americans should be tired of trying to please everyone, it's tiresome, you know? If you come to this country then abide by the countries rules and customs. You want to have some customs of your own? fine, JUST DON'T IMPOSE THEM ON US. Wanna get on the good side of Americans, SPEAK OUT against those of your culture who are gang ho about HURTING AND INSTILLING FEAR IN ORDINARY CITIZENS IN AMERICA. Do that, and you will see support from most Americans. But if all you do is hide and don't speak out against those who want to bring harm to the USA, then you're guilty by omission, you implicitly accept what those terrorist do, and of that, we want NOTHING. Stop playing the guilt trip on America like everyone else does, WE'RE TIRED OF IT.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Isabella

Well said Debbie.

September 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Here, here miss Debbie.

September 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dw

My family has been in the US since the 1790's at least, and I really wish people would stop trying to force their "Christian" values on me. If you are Christian and have your own customs, great... leave the rest of us out of it.

September 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • sioxan

Every Muslim Family that I know is against all these criminal acts. They hate them for using their religion for their personnal goals. They do speak out. But the problem is, they never got the coverage from the Biased Media. I wouldn't blame the Media either Since that is not what American's want to hear, wouldn't sell. Stop blaming and harassing them.. they are a tiny minority... A perfect example is this article.... so many hatefull comments... brings their rating down..

September 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Cha Cha Cha

The amount of disinformation in the editorial is very disheartening. Even though "countless Muslims have condemned the attacks" she offers no support. I can easily talk about countless Muslims who gleefully cheered the attacks and could show the video tape of the public celebrations that took place in various places around the world, or I can point out the reluctance of the Muslim community to acknowledge that there was a problem in their midst. If we are going to have a meaningful dialogue, both sides must agree to work with facts rather than generalizations.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • deep blue

Google "Muslims condemn 9/11 attacks." See what comes up. She didn't post sources, so you should look it up yourself.

September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Robert

This is nothing more than Muslim propoganda. There is no mass persecution of Muslims in America such as there is mass persecution of Christians in EVERY Muslim country on earth. Mulsims enjoy great peace and security in this country. If anything, the reason for Muslim fear is because they know that they hate all non-Muslims with a vengeful, blood thirsty hate... and they're afraid we're going to catch on. There's a Proverb that says, "the wicked flea, when no one pursues." That, to me, describes Muslims in America.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. There is no God

Think of this people, if you get rid of all religions, you get rid of the biggest social problem we have in this world. As long as there is religion, there will be war. It's been going on for centuries. Put it this way – "God created the earth and heavens"...no he didn't! Allah did...no he didn't! Buddha did (ok – I know – an absolute creator god is absent in most forms of Buddhism). Let's face it. The earth couldn't have been created by three (or more) different gods. So let's get real. There is no god and the sooner we all accept that, the sooner we'll have one less thing to squabble about. But then, there is the point that my Mom always said as I was growing up – "as long as there are two people on this planet, there will be conflict". So really – even without religion – we're all screwed anyway. My point is this (if you are still reading and not burning an effigy of me), Religion, opinion, personal belief – they are all at the heart of most conflicts in this world and the reason for that is because people either try to push their religion, opinions or beliefs on others when it's not welcomed, or use them to convince their own kind that it's the other guys who are wrong (thus building an army of sorts). Keep those to yourself and let the guy next to you keep his. Then go watch football and get upset about something that truly matters. Otherwise, we might as well drop the bomb, destroy all humanity and let the planet rid itself of that parasite known as Man. It was better off before we were here anyway.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate

Wow! What a great idea!! Why are there still gangs though? Most are not part of any religion? Why are there border disputes with countries that are both Muslim? Why are their political battles? Hmmmm seems your thoughts are skewed trying to push your own aetheist agenda. Give it up. People will always find something to disagree about.

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. deep blue

I demand that all 1+ billion Muslims video record themselves condemning the terrorist attacks and post it online. After all, when I google Muslims condemn 9/11 terrorist attacks, I only see a few hundred thousand articles, and only 9 of the top 10 results describe a great number of Muslims that condemned the attacks. Until we get 1+ billion videos of condemnation, we should feel free to throw out the window the rights of our fellow Americans and feel justified in shredding our bill of rights. Who needs to be a beacon of freedom? We should mail it to Canada.

September 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bob Pepe

Give me a break.... They live in fear.... You look at them the wrong way they cry and claim hate crime.. Screw'em.. They did this and they are doing nothing to correct it.... Have sympathy and empathy for the victims.. not the criminal

September 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  50. 123elle

Sumbul Ali-Karamali: I am sorry that your enlightened effort to reach out to Americans was met with this avalanche of intolerance and hate. I work with, and am personal friends with Muslims, and they are the most honorable, humorous and humane people I would ever want to know. Of course, in every religion there are fanatics. Look at all the war and slaughter perpetrated throughout history on the innocent of all religions by fanatics of other religions. Nobody's hands are clean when it comes to ancient excesses and wars. But we live in an enlightened modern age; we do not have to blame living people either for what their forbears did - or what modern-day fanatics wrought on others in their misguided efforts to be "pure." I am worried about America losing our hard-won tolerance and freedom. And I am also worried about Europe turning on its Muslim residents - and Europeans really know how to do genocide! There is a wave of hatred washing across Russia and Europe towards Muslims, and I worry about a world-wide conflagration. We need to see one another as individual people, all born of the same prehistoric creatures who became human beings. We need to get together and celebrate our accomplishments and stop hating. Life is short. Muslims are not our enemy. Cancer is our enemy. Heart disease is our enemy. Schizophrenia and life-robbing diseases are our enemies. Not one another.

September 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Christianity moved out of the dark ages 1,000 years ago. Perhaps Muslims will someday realize that their religion is the only one left that is filled with violence and hate. And you sir, should read about Islam, and what it actually promotes.

While Muslims Extremists here are blowing up buildings, flying airplanes into towers, and abusing their women, the Christian Extremists of our day and age are in every country in the world building schools, houses of prayer, mission houses, orphanages, and providing food\help to disaster victims.

Show me Muslim communities that out-reach in the name of peace and love as other religions do today.

September 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  51. 911 inside job

911 is an inside job, a staged terror attack, a government plot, the start of the end of your freedom.
    And I can't believe you sheeples are still buying the "official" story of 911.
    Some people meant to be slaves and most of the readers on cnn are.

September 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Cha Cha Brown

It's leftist logic. Just like when 98% of a race votes for a guy based on their skin color are not the racists but when 50% of the other race votes for the other guy; those guys are the racists, right?

September 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Funny, it's not left wingers walking around with racist signs at protests. You're projecting.

September 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cha Cha Brown

Yeah, all those racists signs. I see them all the time. Which is your favorite?

September 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Stand Strong

Looking at CNN lead stories, one is Opinion: U. S. Musllims Live in Fear. Other leading story is Protesters storms U.S. Embassy in Egypt. So U. S. muslims live in fear, but U. S. citizens don't need to fear in the world? Lets get real, the whole world is messed up. How could individuals plan to crash planes, strap bombs to themselves, kill children. Oh, thats right, same way they storm the U. S. embassy in Egypt. I am sorry the individual muslims who are not radical have to live in fear, but look at the big picutrue. Image is everythig.

September 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Gilbert Moore

Maybe if we saw more Muslims and their religious leadership on TV on 9/11 and after CONDEMNING the attacks, and taking steps to distance themselves from the radical nut-jobs that perpetrated the crimes against our civilians, they might have a better life here now. Instead, there has been almost no outcry from the American Muslims against their radical cousins overseas. "All evil needs to flourish is for good men to be silent." "Those who do not condemn evil, tacitly condone it."

September 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • WHY ARE WE SO IGNORANT

As bad as 9/11 was did you seem to think as to why it happened in the first place??? Probably not. Do you even know what the US military does to Muslim countries every day?? On their land??? Probably not. And despite that MILLIONS of Muslims condemn 9/11 and you never hear about it by the Jewish controlled media. HMMMMM. Sounds to me like the U.S. population largely consists of hypocritical ignorants,. No wonder why we as a nation are in decline!!

September 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Devout Atheist

Absolutely.

September 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Defend Our Nation

Chin Tu Fat took the words out of my mouth. Well said.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Bo Lies

Go back to a Muslim country and then you Muslims will REALLY live in fear.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • dw

The USA is a Muslim country just as much as it is a Christian country in that we accept all religions. It is one of the things that makes our country great. If you don't like that, then you are un-American.

God bless the USA and our religious freedom!

September 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. RunfortheHills

If they don't like it here, they can go home. I, for one, am not a big fan of having my head cut off in the name of a mythical man in the sky.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • bresson

as long as you include chrisians in that group. they are just as mystical and irrational as the most extreme muslim

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • dw

Most who live here were born here. This is home, and they are free to worship however they wish...just like you. Your comments are ignorant and un-American.

September 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  59. mike

Number of post-9/11 terrorist attacks in the US by al-Qaeda: 4
    Number of post/9/11 terrorist attacks in the US by RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS: 8

There was an FBI report in 2011 that found that right wing terrorism was the #1 domestic terrorist threat.

'Nuff said.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Joe

," polls show that Americans’ negative views of Islam have increased since 9/11, not decreased.

Muslims are besieged in their home countries by other muslims , here they may get a death threat , there they just get death. THey might want to be a little concerned about that issue!!

September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. 911 inside job

September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark B

we've already heard that song. nobody is buying it.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Otum Barkeley

Pity. I am quite certain they have less reason to be fearful than Christians and other non-Muslims in Egypt, Iraq, Iran, and all the countries who have been throught the glorioous Arab Spring.

September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  63. guest

Yes, an innocent peace loving people... except... straight from the front pages of CNN:
    Angry protesters climbed the walls of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on Tuesday and hauled down the American flag, replacing it with a black flag with Islamic emblems.
    The incident prompted U.S. Embassy guards to fire off a volley of warning shots as a large crowd gathered outside, apparently upset about the production of a film thought to insult the Prophet Mohammed, said CNN producer Mohammed Fahmy, who was on the scene.
    It is not clear which film upset the protesters.
    Others expressed more general grievances about U.S. policy, chanting anti-American slogans and holding up bits of a shredded American flag.
    An embassy operator told CNN that the facility had been cleared of diplomatic personnel earlier Tuesday, ahead of the apparent threat, while Egyptian riot police were called to help secure the area.
    The U.S. Embassy said in a statement that it "condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims - as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."
    "Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy," the statement said. "We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."
    The incident occurred on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, as crowds gathered in somber remembrance of those killed.

September 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Texan

And what makes you think you deserve to live in the US? 🙂

September 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • QQ

More than any Texan, haven't you guys decided to secede yet?

September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • sioxan

Did you mean you are a Native Indian ?

September 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Joel

Muslims in this country are correct to live in fear, given how rabidly anti-religion the left is these days, and how much the left spits vitriol and hatred at anybody who believes in God, such as Romney for his religions beliefs. If the left hate Romney that badly for his religious beliefs, they surely hate Muslims even worse. Do you suppose that Muslim countries include birth control pills and elective abortion within their health insurance plans? Time for rabid hatred from Sandra Fluke and the left toward Muslims and their "war on women."

September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Wow Joel, you are clueless aren't you? Liberals are not even closely remotely atheist. Moreover, it is the liberals who generally reach out to people whose beliefs are unlike them. AND I am a conservative.

September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

The left does not hate Romney for his religion. The Christian Coalition (a right wing Christian group) are the only ones who care about his religion, oh, and probably Mormons too. Islam is hated in this country for acts committed in it's name. Today in the news some protesters ripped down American flags in our embassy in Cairo and put up "black flags with Islamic symbols". Nick Berg's head was cut off and the video distributed in the name of Islam. The 9-11 attacks committed in the name of Islam. It is not America that is giving Islam the bad name...it is Islam. Any religion who's believers commit such atrocities in its name is not a religion of peace...sorry. Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Wow. So much hate?

Really? The comments are astounding.

And, "All anglos are terrorists because Timothy McVeigh was an anglo terrorist." (See, I can play the generalization game too!)

The generalizations commented here are stunning. Do you people really live such narrow-minded, thoughtless, self-serving, self-centered, angry, ignorant, MEAN existences? REALLY?

Last time I checked, there was also this little thing called "The Crusades." Does this make all Christians evil terrorist invaders?

September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bjd1020

Anglos and Christians of all kinds came out to condemn his acts.........dont be a fool there is a diffeence.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You're really bringing up the Crusades in this debate? You're talking about something that happened close to 1000 years ago when, during that time, Christianity itself has changed. Yes, what they did during the Crusades was horrible. However that is not the viewpoint of modern Christianity. In fact, what is going on in today's radical Islam is the kind of stuff that went on over a 1000 years ago in Christianity. Islam needs to have it's own Reformation, like Christianity did.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • US_Eurolad

Just stop with the Liberal agenda. The party is over. You had a good run. Tim McVeigh was ONE guy, Muslim acts of atrocity happen -every single day- in all corners of planet earth. It is like comparing a BB gun to a nuclear bomb. I'm sure you dim lib brain understands the difference right? And Crusades? really? It is the 21st century, Chrisitans are not forming armies to conquer lands and I hate to break it to you MUSLIMS conquered much of Europe for religious reasons too. This is why I cannot talk to libtards, they have never opened a history book...

September 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

During one assault King Richards knights killed 4000 muslim men women and children. Why 4000? They had to stop. That sword got heavy after while. That, like you see in a follow up post was over 1000 years ago. Don't compare incidents with that many years between them.

September 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  67. moh

This is a garbage article, CNN stop lying to the American

September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Henry CA

How many Muslim in the USarmforce? It is 0

September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Ah... stop lying... ignorant people like you are the problem.... there are Muslim Chaplin in the military... cos there are demand for such Chaplin. That clearly indicates that there are more than zero, like what you said.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

Sean, my reply is "God Bless You" and your loved ones. Have a Blessed day.

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ernest Farley

Tens of thousands actually. You should put down your crayons and turn off Fox news and learn a little.

September 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Debbie

No one should have to live in fear; including the Muslims. But our country is changing. Now us Christians have to live in fear also. We are put down in the media, forced to hire people in our private schools who have beliefs that go against the lifestyles we believe in. Crosses are being taken down. Our country is becoming anti-Christian. I'm afraid that freedom of religion is becoming a thing of the past; especially as we move more towards a Socialist government.

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow. So much hate?

America is not a Christian country. It is the United States of America, not the United States of the Bible.

September 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

God Bless you. Wish you much peace today.

September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Andrew

So much hatred and discrimination coming from the comments section. All of you. Yes, all of you are insulting the memory of those who have ever died protecting the US or died as a victim to such atrocities such as the 9/11 attacks. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for your bigoted ignorance for you all shame the idea that is America.

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  71. kendallpeak

How sad to live in fear. Muslims should move to Muslim nations so they can live in comfort and free from fear.

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  72. JSmith

How about this; I am in fear of all religions! They all think their right and they all want to push it down our throats. For centuries religion has been killing people in the name of their god. We see families being wiped out by fundamentalist Christianity, women being treated like garbage by muslim nations, religious factions all around the world killing people in other religions. No, we fear you!

September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Nate

Maybe she and other American Muslims should spend less time trying to "educate" us and more time educating their misinformed brethren abroad who cause all the issues such as the Embassy incident today. I remember a video shot shortly before 09/11 showing anti American rally for muslims right here in the USA. It was very open back then., Not anymore, but this lady can not convince me that many of the muslims here do not like the USA. They are simply using us. We are a necessary evil to make a better life for themselves. Sure there are some very good people here too, but the proof is in the pudding.

September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Texan

That already happened during WWII, but people like you wouldn't know that since you lack education apparently.

September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Bob

According to Obama..Islam is a religion of peace and we need to include Muslims in the Nasa's space programs.

September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate

Why would we ever want to include them in something we pay for? What does he hope to accomplish?

September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Plowboy

Oh – well...... in that case, I'll just disregard the advanced notice that my failure to convert will ultimately result in my demise at the hands of Muslims

September 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  77. nirm

Good!

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  78. katolungile

In speech today, Obama congratulates Muslims on a "job well done."

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Cholby

THANK YOU! I hate how so many people, when faced with a REALITY or FACT that is NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT, they CHOOSE TO LIVE IN A FANTASY WORLD where all religions have equal legitimacy. Umm, no. The flying spaghetti monster is not a legitimate religion, and that's kind of the point of it. To make us wonder, well, maybe ISLAM IS NOT EITHER, AND DOES NOT DESERVE PROTECTION OR RESPECT!

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  80. David

I have many Muslim friends who were impacted on 9/11 just like the rest of us. They live here with their families like the rest of us and are part of the society that makes America great. But what you don't see them doing is silencing the Islamic religious leaders that are still coming out against the US and justifying the attacks and wanting us all to be tolerant and accept the fact that they want to change our system to accommodate their customs like Sharia Law. Besides Dr. Judhi Jasser, find me one prominent Muslim leader who will stand up and condemn Islamic extremism. You can't. Most of them will say it was unfortunate and while it was wrong, they always put a "but" in there, because they have an agenda. Eleven year later they REFUSE to condemn it.

So...here is what you do if you want to fix it Muslims. DEMAND publicly and LOUDLY that your religious leaders CONDEMN the attacks on 9/11. DEMAND that they STOP trying to bring Sharia Law to the US in ANY form. DEMAND that they cut ALL TIES with ANYONE suspected of supporting terrorism and finally, if your mosque teaches any sort of "radical" beliefs, GET OUT AND EXPOSE THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE. When non-Muslims see you out there do that, then they will believe that you are AMERICANS...and they will stop seeing you as Muslims. But as long as people see that most Muslims remain quiet, there will always be people that wonder what you are hiding.

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • islamophobe

Well-said...

September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • islamophobe

"If you go to any Muslim organization..."

What is wrong with you?? SAY IT IN PUBLIC AND IDENTIFY WHO YOU ARE!!! Then you'll find out who to truly be afraid of.

September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beeber

They can't condemn them, David. BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BE KILLED FOR DOING SO!

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  81. twinsfan318

I love how this story appears right next to the headline: "Protesters Storm US Embassy in Egypt." I'll tell you who's living in fear: the people inside the American embassy in Egypt right now. Are any of America's Muslims having their houses stormed as we speak? Americans in Egypt are. Christians in Pakistan are. Minorities in Muslim nations around the globe are living in fear of their lives at this very moment. How irresponsible of CNN to post a story that "American Muslims live in fear."

September 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karl L

This is sickening. On the annivesary of the attack by Muslims, CNN has a sob story as the main story? Disgusting.

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Whut

Looks like CNN is taking on the masses of muslims as employees. One more news organization heading the way of Fox.

September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Rebecca

Islam is not the only religion that claims to be peaceful and is anything but. Any time you have a group of people saying, "My imaginary friend in the sky is the best and ONLY one. Believe in him or else!" there's going to be problems. Christians are hateful, Muslims are hateful...it doesn't matter which "god" you believe in. As long as you have tenets in each faith stating that as a true believer it's part of your mission to "save" or "convert" others to your respective religion, we're always going to have conflict. If only people didn't need myths and gods to explain the workings of the universe that we still don't understand...the world would be much better off. At least the Greeks and Romans had interesting gods, today's gods suck.

September 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shalin Shah

This is not true. I am not Christian, but Christianity is not full of hate. I have actually seen a lot of peace in that religion. Islam is hateful.

September 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • january2454

Thank you for honest statement of the obvious truth, Shah.

There are NOT hordes of Christians around the world committing murder and every sort of atrocity on other people. But there ARE hordes of Muslims killing and maiming people in diverse places around the globe. Every single day.

September 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • phillylady66

Good reply, Rebecca! I agree.

September 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Bob R.

Really ! What is the risk of being a christian in Beirut, Iraq, Saudi Arabia ? Who is killing Muslim women and children in Iraq ? How many such attacks occur in the USA ? For those Muslims who are not comfortable in the USA...please leave. Religious tolerance cannot be a one way street.

September 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  84. dickgosinya47

They should live in fear and, if the US government has it's way, we all will.

September 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  85. nottolate

The author is obviously a muslim spy whose job it is to promote muslim propaganda with the blessing of CNN.

September 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jdk

CNN has become a joke. How predictable. The terrorists are the victims now. CNN is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

September 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • deep blue

Terrorists are Muslim, therefore all Muslims are terrorists.
      Logical fallacy much?

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Egyptian agnostic

Exactly!

January 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Winston

Guess what Sumbul? Almost ALL Americans live in fear at this point – fear of what's being done to this country, fear of Islamic fundamentalists, fear that Muslims will do to the U.S. what they've done in the Middle East and are now doing in Europe, fear of what our own government appears to be fashioning against us, fear that the next Executive Order will bring us one step closer to a totalitarian state or declare Sharia law, fear for our children's futures, fear that we will lose our job (or will never find another job), fear that we will be attacked in our homes, or fear that we will starve. The United States is as divided as I've ever seen it, due to a vacuum of leadership at all levels and the ridiculous situation we are now in due to "political correctness". Well I for one have had it – how dare you and CNN post something like this on 9/11??? If you or your Muslim brothers are fearful in this country, then by all means, please leave NOW.

September 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhope

I cannot even start to believe how ignorant you are. Leave the US? Are you for real? They BELONG HERE. iF Anyone needs to leave, its people like you who are not only ignorant, but are unwiling to learn.

September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • january2454

Muslims DO NOT belong in America.

They don't belong here because their religious beliefs are not compatible with democracy.

Name ONE country which is majority Muslim in which you'd care to live. Okay, Indonesia. Now, name another. You can't.

September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • phillylady66

Interested to know why you feel you belong here? Probably, you do not. I could say the same for many other people, too, of course.

September 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • phillylady66

Winston has some points. I blame globalization combined with overuse of oil and too much ignorant Muslim terrorist fringe activity for most of his points. But not all Muslims are ignorant and most are not terrorists. I am far more afraid of the Egyptians and Iraqis than I am of the Muslims I know in Philly. The local ones are sensible and educated and are not extremists.i

September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Democracy is in trouble

Take note of what is going on in Egypt. A MUSLIM country with MUSLIMS protesting against the US. The US that happens to support the equality of MUSLIMS more than MUSLIMS do. Fear as a MUSLIM? Go back to your home land and see how good things are.

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Sal

Let me tell you something about these people. Their allegiance is to that damn religion of theirs and not to this country! 

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  90. josh

Fact is Muslims are scared of Non muslims, Blacks, are scared of caucasians, caucasians are scared of blacks and latinos. Latinos are scared of ICE. Sikhs, east indians, Asians are scared of being mistaken as Muslims. Kids are scared of bullies. Women are scared of psychos and guys are scared of stalking ex. Bottomline is everyone is scared of every one. People need to get a grip and should start to trust others atleast non muslims. Pretty hard but that is the only way.

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  91. MDDon

I feel badly for innocent Muslims who suffer for the actions of the few, but I know what they feel, because, during the Bush administration, I was hated in Europe for the deeds of George W. Bush and his administration, actions like the invasion of Iraq which I opposed. All you can do is to work as hard as you can to change the behavior of those working against your best interests.

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Kyle

Then get out of the country, Sumbul Ali-Karamali. Go for it. Go live with your psycho families over in the middle east. Then we will see if you live in fear. Americans have a reason to be angry with Islam. It's constant violence and anger towards the United States from Muslims, even if the source of hate has nothing to do with America.

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Know what I hate? All you right wing lunatics constantly complaining about our country. How about YOU leave? The Muslims don't bother me. All those responsible for 9/11 are dead. The fact that some people happen to share the same fairy tale beliefs is of no concern to me.

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  93. R. Guest

CNN has reached a new low and thats saying something..

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  94. An American Muslim

Prove your claims. Quote the relevant verses from the Qur'an. And don't twist their meaning of the words or quote selectively, be honest.

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave Smith

3000 dead innocent victims – that's my proof, you idiot.

September 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Isabella

Dave:
        You are right!

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • thought4u

Annihilate the Kafirs 6:45 / 9:29. Decieve them 6:25 / 86:15. Do not befirend 3:28. Also see 23:97 / 51:10 / 37:18 / 25:55 / 9:28 / 33:60.

September 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Quran (2:191-193) – "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]... but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Vic of New York

Yes. We can thank the Christian Right, the TEA Party fanatics, and Right-Wing Republicans for the bigotry and hate mongering that has beset our nation. These flag waving bottom feeders are not Patriots. They are parasites and a pox on our America.

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • disgustedvet

You represent YOUR side so eloquently Vic of New York. Kumbaya baby.

September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Yet it is the left who have occupy movements where they defecate on police cars, and rape fellow participants. Liberals and socialists are the real hate mongers in this country

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  96. DavidW0909

I wonder if the personel in the US Embassy in Cairo are feeling afraid right now.

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

What does Cairo have to do with American Muslims? Nothing. Stop trying to justify your idiocy.

September 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • CJ

And what does a shooting in Norway have to do with America, which was part of this story.

September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Dave

You know, the Westboro Baptist church claims to be Christian, but everyone doesn't claim all Christian's have those same views. I don't know much about Islam, but I'm sure there's all sorts of sizes and flavors, just like Christianity. Some are probably bat-sh** crazy, like those who organized the 9/11 attacks and the aforementioned WBC, but most are most likely perfectly peaceful, and want nothing more than to practice their religion. I personally think it's all a bit loony, but as long as you're doing it peacefully, and not pushing your beliefs on others, have at it.

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Nail on the head. There's nothing exceptional about Islam in terms of extremism. Every religion has its nutcases.

September 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ian

What % of terrorists killings have been carried out by NON muslims in the couple of decades? Muslims commit at least 90% of all terrorist attacks.

September 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Joe

Amazing that on a day of remembering fallen Americas of all colors, we have to read an article by CNN about how Muslim American's are scared for their lives because of us. SHAME on you CNN.

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sisi

Yes, I could not have said if better myself! Shame on You!

September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wrong

Wrong, Joe. The article never said it is because of YOU. It, the fear mentioned, is just another effect of 9/11. So shame on you, for lacking in reading comprehension skills that cause you to have empty meaningless outrage.

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rak79

Shame on you for being hypocrite by first saying 9/11 is about all colors and then essentially saying American Muslims are not part of those colors. I lost a dear family friend who worked in the north tower, how dare you make this a us vs. them thing.

September 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe

It is US vs Them. It's all Free Americans of all colors against a religion of violence and hate (and any colors that practice).

The religion of Islam and the Muslims that follow it are the enemy, and have dictated that we are theirs. I don't need to read an article on our #1 Media Source website in the USA on a day that 3,000 + fell to the hands of radical muslims, that the muslims that live here are scared of how the rest of us look at them.

Find a religion that promotes PEACE and LOVE and maybe the world will look at you with PEACE and LOVE. Just a tip to chew on.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Sal

Feed Prophet Mohammed to the pigs........

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  100. sherri990

Muslims living here should be living in fear. Where were their voices right after 9/11? Not one muslim said a thing. Silence equals support. And their still silent 11 years later.

September 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Where were their voices? They were cheering when the twin towers collapsed killing thousands of innocents!

September 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ocean

Didn't you just read the article?

September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |