Elizabeth Warren: Is she or isn't she Native American?
Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren's claims of Native American ancestry have drawn fire.
September 25th, 2012

Elizabeth Warren: Is she or isn't she Native American?

By Moni Basu, CNN

(CNN) - Writer Mark Trahant guessed the situation was a first: campaign jabs that centered on a candidate's claim of Native American roots.

He was referring to the Senate race in Massachusetts that pits Harvard University law professor Elizabeth Warren against Republican Sen. Scott Brown.

There are many issues of contention in this hotly contested race, but one of them has become Warren's claim to Native American ancestry. After Brown accused her of taking advantage of minority status, Warren fired back in an ad that came out Monday.

"As a kid, I never asked my mom for documentation when she talked about our Native American heritage," Warren says in the spot. "What kid would? But I knew my father's family didn't like that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware, so they had to elope.

"Let me be clear: I never asked for or never got any benefit because of my heritage," she continues, addressing the central concern that Brown has brought up on the campaign trail and at the candidates' first debate last week. "The people who hired me have all said they didn't even know about it."

Who's Native American? It's complicated

"It's not right that she would use her self-recalled heritage for any academic advancement ... even if there are no academic standards that define who is legally a Native American (except the citizenship issue). On the other hand, when you see videos like this one, you cringe."

He was referring to a video that shows Brown staffers chanting war whoops and gesturing Tomahawk chops. It was posted Tuesday on YouTube by the liberal blog Blue Mass Group.

"I think Sen. Brown has some explaining to do about the nice guy, respectful tone that he sets in his office, and on his campaign," the blog said. "And maybe we can put this whole preposterous issue to bed once and for all."

Brown responded to CNN affiliate WCVB in Boston.

"It is certainly something that I don't condone," he said. "The real offense is that (Warren) said she was white and then checked the box saying she is Native American, and then she changed her profile in the law directory once she made her tenure."

The National Congress of American Indians said it was troublesome that Brown's staff members acted in such fashion. The rights organization urged Brown to take action.

It also blamed Warren was responsible for failing to speak up.

"She has every right to be proud of her family," the organization said. "However her campaign failed to educate a non-Native media and the public unfamiliar with federal tribal enrollment rules or about historic federal policies that make proving Native ancestry very difficult for some people."

Also at issue was Brown's reference during a televised debate to Warren's white skin color as proof that she was not Native American.

"Skin color or physical appearance has no bearing on one’s Native American heritage or status as an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe," the national congress said. "As a result, numerous national television programs and websites have irresponsibly echoed Senator Brown’s statements by referring to someone’s skin color as an indicator for Native American identity. These claims are false and Senator Brown should correct the record and retract his statement immediately."

Elizabeth Warren vs. Scott Brown: Priciest race this year

The debate about Warren has gone on since May, when Warren confirmed that she had described herself in faculty directories as having Native American blood. She said she did it to meet others like her.

But her explanation didn't sit well in some corners.

A website called Cherokees Demand Truth From Elizabeth Warren says Americans ought to care deeply about such claims.

"America should care because they care when someone falsely claims to be a decorated military veteran. They care when someone falsely claims to be a recovering drug addict in a book passed off as the truth. And they care when someone falsely claims to be a survivor of the Jewish Holocaust. America cares about these things because America cares about integrity, honesty and fair treatment.

"Elizabeth Warren has not just stolen an ethnic identity that does not belong to her, but she has also personally benefited from it and harmed the integrity of the American ethos of advancement based on quality of work, not color of skin."

The New England Historic Genealogical Society provided initial research that shows several members of Warren's maternal family claiming Cherokee heritage. Warren's great-great-great grandmother O.C. Sarah Smith, is said to be described as Cherokee in an 1894 marriage license application. The genealogical society gathered that information through a 2006 family newsletter and said the original application cannot be located.

Warren's critics were out in force Tuesday on Twitter, including the editor of the conservative Red Alerts Politics website.

Blogger Donny Furguson posted:

But Warren was not without her supporters.

Seroe Michaud commented on Native News Network's page:

"Good for you Elizabeth, I am 1/8 Blackfoot but am fair skinned and light haired, I am the only light one in the family. If like me your blood is part native on your mother's side and your heart is walking the red road, we will not be driven into the shadows. I hope that you win, you had my vote before I learned of your roots."

As Trahant said, it's complicated.

What makes someone "legitimately" Native American? And who gets to make the call? Our blog attempted to answer those questions when the Warren controversy erupted.

Julia Good Fox, professor of American Indian studies at Haskell Indian Nations University, said there's plenty of ignorance around Native American citizenship.

"It's all in past-tense, and we don’t get a sense of what an Indian today looks like," she said in May.

And that, she said, can be confusing.

Posted by
Filed under: 2012 Election • Ethnicity • Native Americans • Politics • Race • Who we are
soundoff (1,054 Responses)
  1. Morefreestuf

She lied to cover it up and won't release record to prove it

September 26, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Chronos

Wow Morefreestuf,
      So if you dont liek the person you demand their papers? ust like you republicans did Obama! Wow, I guess you guys want to be communist after all, HUH???????

September 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MT

There are many of us with Indian blood that are not registered with Cherokee and Choctaw nation. My ancestors did not go to Oklahoma but instead went to Texas. They were never registered in the Choctaw rolls but my ancestors lived the Indian way of life. Who are you to judge our ancestors? What's wrong with being proud of your Indian ancestry and heritage. You need to get over yourselves. Who are to judge who I am? I'm proud of my Indian ancestry and I don't need to be on your rolls or recognized by your political tribe.

September 26, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. ricardo1968

All the republicans have to run on this time are non-issues like this. We need to humiliate them in the polls so they can rebuild from the ground up. We need a conservative party in this country, but one that is willing to govern through compromise rather than through deception and division.

September 26, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Morefreestuf

Funny this compromise thing. Obama took the blame for creating a polarized gov.

September 26, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
      • ricardo1968

He took the blame, probably because he knows that anyone who reads the news won't blame him.

September 26, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Albert E

Ricardo, don't be a Retardo, you just described perfectly the Democratic Party, Party of DENIAL (DON'T EVEN NOTICE I AM LYING) End of Line.

September 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If you have to prove you are, then you’re not.

September 26, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

If birthers tell you your not something then your not.

September 26, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

When I applied for a passport, I had to prove I'm an American citizen. Got any more ludicrous claims to make?

September 26, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. philtration

Only the Republican party can claim that anyone with Native American blood is not a "real" American.

September 26, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I don't think they did claim that.

September 26, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Marge

You got that right. What does this have to do with anything. All her life her family told her she was part native American. Don't most people believe that their grandparents, their great grandparents were whoever, that they were being told the truth. Brown has nothing to go on. His voting republican and screwing the people of MA is not Warrens fault, but he has to try to throw mud on her so he can keep that underwraps. I'd say he is just following republican playbook. When you can't win honestly, tell lies, throw mud and try to divert facts of your own misdeeds.

September 26, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
      • Morefreestuf

It is about character. She claims she is for more taxes on the rich but she does not pay more, earns more than Scott Brown and not included in that is her $300k loaded Harvard Pension.

Why would you check the box and think you would not gain from it

September 26, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Morefreestuf

But she is unequivocally not Am. Indian

September 26, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Chronos

Your basing that fact on what, her looks? You cannot always tell if someone is of a specific or culture just by their looks.
        You can be a native american and be the typical white american. My grandmother on my fathers side was 75% Cherokee and 25% English. My Grandma on my mothers side was 50% Cherokee 50% French and I am around 25% Cherokee or there abouts and I am the typical white american male. I can if I so choose be eligable for Native American Status but I do not claim it.
        When I was in Iraq, I saw men and women who were born and raised in Iraq that were pale white with red hair, a perfect ginger, but they were Iraqi Muslims. I saw people who would pass as a typical white american male or female but are 100% Iraqi. So yes you can be a specific heritage but no show it in your appearences. So therefore your looks is everything idea doesnt hold up under genetic data and testing.
        Have a nice day.

September 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ricardo1968

Well, the article confirms that the claim goes back to her ancestor. You can't say that she doesn't have native blood. Its absolutely a non-issue, except for the fact that her opponents are desperate.

September 26, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. pat

The Brown campain says Warren is not Native American and then does a war whoop and tomahawk chop dance because she is Native American.

September 26, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Morefreestuf

Wrong again. They war wooped because she is a liar and it is funny... and it is. The war woop has gotten this liar vetted in the national press.

She said her parents had to elope because one one Am. Indian. Not true. Another Lie. There is a record of the wedding party announcement in the local paper for her parents

September 26, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
      • pat

Link to weding party source,please.

September 26, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
      • Jennybugg

A "war whoop" by non natives/ Indians is NEVER funny in any context. its rascist and offensive.

September 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. justinduncan

Scott Brown had his chance to be bipartisan and reflect the middle class. Instead he sided with ionsurance co.s and Wall st firms to watr down financial sector regulalions, then sided with the Catholic church to deny women birth control. The Native American is simply a ploy to avoid his record. Her had the chance to win my vote, but now I'm with the tribe of Elizabeth Warren!

September 26, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. joe in NH

I really don't care about his issue; but if she used it for employment advancement that's another issue.

Warren is an ultra progressive liberal who not surprisingly conforms to the limosine liberal charicature in which see profits through her work for big bussiness like Travelers and LTV Steel while claiiming she's all about the little people. She's outraged how expensive college is while she racks in $350K from Harvard for one class, takes advantage of zero interest Harvard loans to help her flip repo'd houses lost by the little people and she practices law from her Harvard paid for office while supporting her private income stream from big businesss without a license to boot.

Yeah she's fighting for the ittle guy all right.

September 26, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • ricardo1968

She has been fighting for the little guy, more than anyone currently in the Senate. Your ad hominem argument is invalid.

September 26, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Morefreestuf

That is not an attack it is the truth. You could say it is not valid. I fight for the little guy but I get paid by the big companies. go back and study logic again

September 26, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
      • ricardo1968

@Morefreestuff. Do you know what ad hominem means? Do you have to be a little guy to fight for the little guy? In fact, I have watched her expose many of the underhanded practices in the financial industry for years. I know for a fact that she fights for the little guy.

September 26, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
      • William Drouin

According to the Washingtyon Post, Ms. Warren has said in the past that she was the “first woman of color” at Harvard. She has no idea who the little guys are and at a $350,000 yearly salary (plus a few hundred thousand dollars in government contracts), she is a 1%er, dudes!!

September 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Albert E

If she truly fights for the little guy, then why don't you have a job????? You seem pretty "little" to me and you are all over these blogs.

September 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John Wright

I'm white but I watched The Lone Ranger and my favorite was Tonto. That makes me eligible for special consideration and affirmative action on my Florida state employment application. Thanks Elizabeth Warren!

September 26, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. PJ

Where was all this concern when Obama was running for office? At Least E. Warren is as real an American as you can get! it doesn't change her qualifications to do her job. for goodness sake!

September 26, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Puddin

Is this all Scott Brown can find to go after Elizabeth Warren for? Now that is laughable and shows he is a sore sport! Brown seems to be a real nice guy, but Warren is just so intelligent, Indian or not, and she would be good for the country. I was told when I was a kid that I am French, Irish and about an1/8th or 1/4th Indian (I can't remember), but my brother researched it, and he says 1/4th. If I had any doubt it was true, pictures I have of my mother and grandmother removed that doubt. Both of them look like a couple of Indian squaws in their older years. With my golden hair as a youngster, I felt I looked more Irish. I'm pround of the Indian and Irish; not so proud of the French.

September 26, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

Don't be mislead. You certainly should also be proud to be part French.(btw I am Irish.)

September 26, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jim Brodie

The only people towhom this matters are people who wouldn't vote for her anyway. They just enjoy having another reason to hate her.

September 26, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rick

Besides Scott Brown who cares! Scott are you a racist? What else do you have to bring to the table Scott?

September 26, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. ricardo1968

She has a very record of calling out the banks who've been ripping us off for years. Thanks to her my bank can't charge me 30 bucks because of 1 dollar overdraft. I don't care if she made a silly declaration which the article says is likely based in truth in any case.

September 26, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. nolongerarepublican

Native American holocaust, the worst and longest in world history, 100 million dead over 500 years, and still going on.

September 26, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. kentuckian

I too have a Cherokee great-grandparent. I have often checked both white and Native American on government forms such as the census. While "Cherokee Nation" controls who is IN and who is OUT for economic reasons, that does not change the fact that many Americans, both black and white, are of Native American heritage and have the right to say so.

September 26, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • nolongerarepublican

Same here. They said I had to be 10% and have a government card to be taken into the Cherokee nation. I am 5% Cherokee and 2% Tuskegee.
      You are 100% right, the so called "Cherokee Nation" is a money making joke.

September 26, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
      • tk508

the eastern band of cherokees did not ask me to see any card or do a family tree to research my family's claim of native blood, they just walked me into the casino!

September 26, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. William F. Guiboche

You silly south of the border Americans, she's Metis! So Metis Kibbutz!!!!!

September 26, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. scoobydoo

did you ever watch "King of The Hill" ? I suggest you do . or ask your kids about Joseph Gribble . with all the stuff that happened in the past , its hard to tell who is what . i have seen a lot of shocked faces in my anthropology class, you get a free DNA test . if you have not done one , be careful what you say . if an Ohio woman can marry her own dad , with everyone who knew not saying a word , then anything is possible .

September 26, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • c

What else is Scott Brown talking about?

September 26, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • nolongerarepublican

But that is normal and encouraged in Ohio.

September 26, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  19. joe800

Absolutely. She has direct maternal lineage to a woman identified on a marriage license as Cherokee. Should it have been made part of her professional CV, probably not. If the Cherokee nation (if there is one) sets a limit as to how far removed you can be from a member of their group, then it's up to them.

September 26, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  20. sickofitall

whether she is or isn't native american is largely irrelevant; this debacle was rooted in her inability to get her story straight. She created the "legs" under what should have been addressed as a silly family anecdote. So instead she ends up as "liarwatha"

September 26, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. TheTraveler

Wonder why the US is struggling to move forward? It's because of silly things like this. The woman made a statement based on what she knew from her family, and now, everyone one is all over it. We have more important things to work on here ...

September 26, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • emesskay

Well I do pretty much agree but this issue for many is not whether she is or isn't part Native American but whether she checked the box to garner personal gain. That's really a character issue, and if we can slam other candidates for character issues than she's fair game...her explanation was more revealing than the actual action.

September 26, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Dr Tom

If someone was brought up being told that they are part native American, they are going to check that on an application. It is unlikely that they will do vigorous research to determine if that is corrrect. This should be a non-issue or at least a very small issue. Move on, folks.

September 26, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  22. John

Despite the headline the story answers no question as to whether or she is native american. CNN has a habit of misleading headlines. On a personal note, my Mom told us when we kids that she was descended from Pocohontas and for years we believed her until, as adults, we asked again and she told us she was just joking. I only tell this story because I think parents tell their kids a lot of little untruths meaning no harm and its perfectly reasonable for someone to believe something that isn't true. It appears though Warren's claims went a bit further than most but then again she's gone way ahead of what most of us achieve and the family story made it into places where maybe it should have kept out of. I don't really see her as using the story for advancement but I think she could have had more proof available before taking it on the campaign trail. I'd still vote for her because her views on real issues matter to me.

September 26, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo Ann

My understanding from the article is that she almost certainly has some Native American roots (the old marriage license is evidence), but that she is not a member of a tribe, which is the usual litmus test for claiming the ethnicity. She overstepped, and apparently offended people who are tribal members; whether she is eligible for tribal membership (for which she would have to prove substantial heritage) is unclear, but seems doubtful. On the other hand, she is making clear that she never received any kind of affirmative action advantage as a result of her claims, which is important because it supports her contention that her claim was because she wanted to reconnect with her roots, not to take advantage of them.

September 26, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
      • HoneyBadger

Except there is NO marriage certificate. There is NO evidence she's any percent native american. And I'm sorry, I'm a liberal in Mass and this bugs the beejesus out of me. It was a jaded and cynical abuse of affirmative action not only by Warren but by Harvard. When they hired her, they claimed to the papers and the federal government that they had hired a "woman of color." It's all BS. Never mind her "Cherokee" recipes is the seemingly racist book "Pow-wow-chow." And as to why it won't go away: one, she keeps changing her story, she won't just apologize, and the media keeps asking Brown about it. He has two options, not answer, thereby letting her get away with a farcical response to an honest indicator of a character issue, or look like he's harping on it.

Anyway, I believe in the goals of affirmative action: increased diversity and making up for past injustice. Even if she had ANY EVIDENCE she's a 1/64 cherokee, she is abusing the that system.

September 26, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. sickofitall

Warren, as a Harvard Law professor in 1995, attempted to help the LTV steel conglomerate avoid paying $140 million in benefits to retired coal miners....hmmm so she's an advocate for the "little guy" or just another political wh ore??

September 26, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Guardian

Sources, please. And not only Fox "News", please.

September 26, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Guardian

Thank you. I will read it. I will also read from other sources, and only then form my own opinion. I also hope that you will also hear Prof. Warren's take on the accusations and not just go with whatever the Brown camp says.
      Life is more complex than a bumper sticker one-liner. Now, the real question is, which of the two candidates do you expect to stand up for the little guy after the election? Brown? Really?

September 26, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  24. eloe

A lot of people may have native American ancestry, that doesn't make one native American. Just as people are not Scottish or Irish nationals, if their families came from there a long time ago. Today one is native American when they are a member of a tribe, of course that has nothing to do with skin color or braided hair, but this lady just tries to make herself interesting.

September 26, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Guardian

On the forms, the question was "ETHNICITY" or "RACE".
      According to your logic, if your white ancestors came to America a long time ago, you are no longer "Caucasian".
      The spin-machine is whirring real good.

September 26, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • eloe

Guardian, I see your point, however, native American is not an "ethnicity" bound to racial features. As a matter of fact, it is more about being a registered member of a tribe, which this lady is not. She would have a hard time to get accepted as a tribal member, not only because she looks plain Caucasian.

September 26, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
      • NCMD

What you said is wrong. Native american is a racial description on almost all forms. If one were to claim benefits, like for college entrance etc, they would need to provide their tribal registration number. No one will be able to get benefits without that. Since Warren never claimed benefits (she couldn't have), there is nothing wrong about checking that box.

September 26, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
      • Guardian

Native American is not an ethnicity?
        I am part German, part Croatian, part Czech, and the list goes on. Now, according to your logic, I am not German, Croatian, Czech or whatever because I do not belong to either nation or hold citizenship in any of them. So I should not even call it. Arrgh, I have just lost a lot of DNA, man... My cells are running on empty...

September 26, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
      • eloe

NCMD, how is Warren "racially" native American? She isn't. She still could be culturally native American by being a member of a tribe? But she isn't either. She could still have spend most of her life growing up as a native American? Not either? Hmm. how exactly is she native American?

September 26, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
      • eloe

You got is Guardian, you are not German, You are Caucasian American. The Germans would definitely consider you to be US American nothing more. So if you mark on any questionaire that you are German, it would be a lie.

September 26, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
      • Guardian

"The Germans would definitely consider you to be US American nothing more. "
        Try again :-)

September 26, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. David McDaniel

So what. What is the big deal to a republican candidate that is trying every last tactic because he is going to lose anyway. I am part Indian, because somewhere way way back somebody in my mothers family was a Cherokee. But each generation married more white English, Scotch or Irish people and each generation got lighter and lighter skinned and I was born with blond hair and blue eyes. It does not mean it is not in my family background, just not in my immediate gene pool. We are forgetting the most important thing here. Warren has been an advocate of the poor and middle class her entire life and working people she is here to help you. Don't let someone who will say anything to get elected make you think she is a liar and will not help you. Helping you is why Warren gets up in the morning and it is what she will continue to do.

September 26, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Just how do you know that Senator Scott Brown is going to loose? Everyone said that he was going to loose against Martha Coakly in the last election, and we all saw whar happened. It will happen again!!!!!!

September 26, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Corwin7

Thats because Martha Coakley was a dum bass and Democrats by and large wont' vote for a dum bass just because they have a (D) Next to thier name...Elizabeth Warren is certainly no dum bass.

September 26, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. emesskay

The claim that the box was checked because she thought she'd meet others like her is just plain ridiculous. She should have just admitted a lack of judgement or the belief that the detail was inconsequential..she could NOT have believed that she would have been connected to others with 1/32 Native American heritage...I'm sure the details on these applications is confidential.

September 26, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  27. Willie12345

What a fraud. I thought Warren was bright, clever and talented. Sadly, she's proving to be just another crook...... only a smart one. Too bad.

September 26, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  28. Norm

This is only an issue for the racist Republican bigots.
    You can be sure they will resort to something like this to distract the public away from their real agenda and lack substance.

September 26, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Birthers II, the remake.

September 26, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  29. MDCambridge

A DNA test can settle this rather simply.

September 26, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • dmcclean

Not on this planet. You might very well not carry a single chromosome from one ancestor 5 generations ago. Work out the probability and get back to us.

September 26, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  30. Dean C. Lomis

I take issue with the term: "Native American," for I am a "native American" also, but not of 'Asian' stock. EVERY 'U.S.-born citizen is a "native American." If they need to be specifically identified, and to their credit, they could be 'Amerasians' - not necessarily 'Asian-Americans' since that would include a much larger conglomerate - or perhaps better yet: 'First Americans,' since they were the first to COME to this land. But to apply the term "Native Americans" which applies to ALL of us born here is a total misnomer.

September 26, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

That is correct. Just like "Native Floridian."

September 26, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jim

She looks Indian to me. She parts her hair near the middle, and she has high cheekbones. If she wants to start getting casino profits, I don't see why we should want to stop her.

September 26, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  32. RobK

Politics, like sports fanaticism, breeds hypocrisy.

September 26, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  33. jnpa

"He was referring to a video that shows Brown staffers chanting war whoops and gesturing Tomahawk chops. It was posted Tuesday on YouTube by the liberal blog Blue Mass Group."

These are the type of ignorant people who should not be in our government. For them to do that is disgusting!

September 26, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • emesskay

be serious... these were STAFFERS... No politician can control every gesture/coment mad by his/her thousands of staffers.

September 26, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Norm

Ok...lets BE serious.
        Not just "staffers"....they were the head people of his campaign.
        Don't try to trivialize it.
        Everyone here is smart enough to know the difference.
        This isn't Fox News.

September 26, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • whimsicalpig

I supose all the leftists carrying banners of bush with a hitler mustache or the tv program that used a body-less head that was bush's are inconsequential to what theleft does.

there is nothing but hypocrasy about these types of issues.

the woman made a stupid attempt of upping here chances for advancement in a social setting (the university universe) where "sensitivity to doversity" over-rides qulification at every turn.

September 26, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
      • whimsicalpig

not had my coffee yet, sorry for the typos

September 26, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
      • pat

Were thoses "leftists" some one's campain staffers?

September 26, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  34. prairiedale

I am not from Massachusetts and this is the first I have heard of this but it sounds like an extension of the whole who is "American" and who isn't and just a desperate grab to have something to talk about on the stump. I have spent the last 5 months doing a lot of genealogical work on my family and discovered that I am not strictly Irish American and that what my parents and grandparents told me wasn't as precise as we all thought. Family history is subject to becoming fuzzy over time.

September 26, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • JimR978

Have you ever checked off a box on a job application or professional registration that you were Irish and then personally or professionally benefited from that claim? Did your employer ever pass that claim on to the government in an effort to show that they were meeting any government diversity plans?

September 26, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
      • pat

Yeah, but are you saying that's what Warren did? She just said she did not. Specifically, did that happen?

September 26, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  35. Oklahoma Indian

It's very simple, you have a Certified Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) card from the Dept of Interior or you don't.
    If you don't then you aren't Native American. I have many friends that look Native American and have some Native American heritage, but they don't (and can't) represent themself as such, as they do not have a CDIB card.
    There are people who wear ribbons, they have not earned, on a military uniform. They are frauds!
    Warren works for the US government, she knows the standard, or if not should not hold the office.
    Generally I don't care if someone is Native American or not, but don't lie about it.

September 26, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Guardian

Good morning, Sir.
      On the forms, Prof. Warren indicated her RACE or ETHNICITY. I do not have a "card" saying that I am part German, Croatian or Czech. Yet, they are part of my ethnicity.
      I respect people with Native American background A LOT – irrespective of 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or whatever proportion.
      However, it does bother me when people deny other people's ETHNIC heritage based on "citizenship" or the lack of a "card". Do the right thing, be inclusive.
      Peace be with you.

September 26, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. want2believe

Both Scott Brown and Mitt Romney have suggested she is at most only 1/32 Cherokee. I guess we may argue amongst ourselves if that is Cherokee-enough for our tastes...Bill John Baker (the current Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation) is 1/32 Cherokee.

You may or may not agree that Warren should have checked Native American heritage on those forms. You may or may not believe that helped her to get ahead. But everyone should be outraged that Scott Brown had his senate staff (that you pay for) out mocking Warren and disrespecting all Native Americans with there war whoops and tomahawk chop dances.

September 26, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Agreed....

As a tax payer responsible for their pay...I demand these juvenile bigots step down.

September 26, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

She's not Native American enough for her to mention but she is Native American enough to do a war whoop and tomahawk chop dance to!

September 26, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Roz

It's my understanding that a person can be Cherokee if they are decended from someone on the "Dawes Roll." I know someone who is 1/32 Cherokee and you would never know it b/c she has more Irish and English blood. But she is recognized as a member of tribe because of her lineage to someone on the Dawes Roll. Each tribe determines its own citizenship rules. For some tribes, you can not be less than 1/4 to be a member of a tribe. You also typically need to be an "enrolled" to be truly recognized as being a tribal member. Also, because being a Native American is so rare, particularly on the East Coast, its not something that people typically talk about. This could be why Warren felt comfortable recognizing her Native heritage in some environments and no others. I experience this delimma every day, as someone who is half Native and half white living in a big city where the Native population is probably around 1%.

September 26, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  37. RobK

If the roles were reversed and it was a Republican making the claim, Democrats would be screaming bloody murder and you know it. Look at the big fuss over Ryan's mistake with his marathon time from years ago, which is much less important.

September 26, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Not comparable. There is evidence that some of Warren's ancestors were indeed Native Americans. There has been NO evidence presented that she benefited from this ancestry in any way. Ryan's marathon time is recent and public information, and he lied about it. But we know Romney & Ryan have stated they won't be bound by pesky facts.

September 26, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Corwin7

Actually I was much less concerned with his marathon "lie" than the "marathon of lies" he spewed at his convention speech! But then I'm a Democrat...Facts matter to me as well as intent.

September 26, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  38. Guardian

I have German, Croatian and Chech heritage. I have NO CITIZENSHIP in Germany, Croatia or the Chech Republic.
    STOP SWIFTBOATING Elizabeth Warren. "Lying for the Lord" is NOT OK in America or elsewhere (Google it).
    God bless Elizabeth Warren and also all others with Native American heritage.
    Mr. Brown, grow a spine, if you can find the time in your busy schedule.

September 26, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  39. some guy in New Hampshire

Google "Ross Swimmer", chief of the Cherokee nation for ten years, and look at his picture. He looks about as Scandinavian as Warren but, by the legal definition, he's native American. They all don't have black braids and wear feathers in their hair, Scott.

September 26, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

He is Native American because he has been certified as Native American. What if it turned out he had not been certified – do you think he would still be eligible to be tribal president?

September 26, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
      • dmcclean

Jim, just imagine how relevant that would be if Warren were running for tribal president!

September 26, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

My son is a direct descendant of John Ross, main chief of the Cherokee during the Trail of Tears. It's an interesting fact to him, but he has never tried to use it for any advantage. The same appears to be the same for Warren. Republican desparation continues, which is too bad in this case. Brown appears to have been doing a good job, and shouldn't need to stoop to these tactics. He should be able to win on his record.

September 26, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  40. SOONJUSTCOME

Bahhh humburg. Brown is desperate just like ROMONEY (aka) BIGMONEY!!!

September 26, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  41. JohnO

By all means let's discuss genetic distinctions rather than the dire straits our country is in right now. Can we all just drop this stupid crap and turn to issues please? Why isn't anyone asking Mitt to prove that his father was born in Mexico? The birth certificate hasn't been trotted out there, and Mitt uses the idea to joke about the voter benefits if he were Latino. Voting should be based on policies, not scurrilous tripe.

September 26, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Republican deflection.
      They have no answers to the nation's problems because they ARE the nation's problems.
      Distract the voters by any and all means.

September 26, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
      • JohnO

You've got that right. How do you say "screw you" in Republican? Trust us.

September 26, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  42. Milton

For those people that do not understand why her claim is such is a big deal, here are the details:

When admitting students, schools like Harvard will accept Native Americans with SAT scores 600 points LOWER than the average accepted student, all in the name of "diversity". It does not matter whether a person is 100% Native American, 1/32nd Native American, as long as it is enough to get the box ticked off.

Colleges seek the same "diversity" when it comes to hiring people, including professors. That is why "Native American" Elizabeth Warren, was accepted as a professor with a Rutgers degree when just about everyone else at Harvard Law has degrees from Harvard or Stanford.

She is a complete fraud.

September 26, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • some guy in New Hampshire

Yes, I'm sure Warren skated by on her ethnic claims instead of her intellectual ability. Everyone knows you get to be a Harvard law professor by meeting the school's ethnic litmus test, not because you're actually good at the job or anything like that.

September 26, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • want2believe

"It does not matter whether a person is 100% Native American, 1/32nd Native American, as long as it is enough to get the box ticked off." – you

Are you arguing with yourself here?

September 26, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

In your opinion, which is a personal truth valid only to you.

September 26, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  43. Robert

So every person who says they're Irish must now be a citizen of Ireland? What a silly argument. She hasn't asked for or recieved any preferential treatment and I'm pretty sure she's not doing it to lock down that huge native American voting block. So why all the whining?

September 26, 2012 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  44. JY

My simple statement to this So What! But then you look at the source of the issue, the Tea Party Republican Brown having difficulty winning a race, the party says find something obscure and rediculous and make a big deal about it, get aware from the pyblic see you for what you are.

September 26, 2012 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  45. Paul Cousineau

My, my birthers have infected another political race. Only white males really qualify on the bottom line. My family told me when I was growing up that my family was French Canadian, I'm presuming that they did not lie to me. Unfortunately Ms. Warren is not a white male, so her credentials are at risk. What is truly disgusting is the hateful and racist demonstration of anti-Native American jingoism which the Brown campaign produced. As a citizen of Massachusetts, I am truly disgusted by this. This is not who we are !

September 26, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  46. Jorge

SO WHAT??? Most of us Puerto Ricans (we are all U.S. citizens) living stateside have Native American blood coursing through our veins (Arawak) and it hasn't done a damn thing for us except get us called Mexican and pushed away.

September 26, 2012 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  47. Richard Lancaster

A pathetic attempt to distract easily influenced voters away from Scott Brown's voting record and idiotic decisions. I don't care if she's part Native American, I care if she cares about the people of her state and the American people.

September 26, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  48. true blue

For the past few years in Louisiana some people have been questioning the practice of a local tribe for not excepting people of color of being part Native American this was only a money thing. but if you travel to that part of the swamps you will see blond & blue eye Native Americans. and I approve this message.

September 26, 2012 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  49. Dennis

I miss Ted Kennedy.

September 26, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  50. Willy Brown

She lies but then that's what democrats do.

September 26, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Vulpecula

democrats don't lie any more than the republicans. In fact at this time, I'd say the republicans are trying to lie, mislead and manipulate more. But one thing is for sure. Willy Brown, your a liar.

September 26, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • DenisOB

You need to change that statement to 'that's what all POLITICIANS do'. Anything less is burying your head in the sand. This issue is a pathetic distraction in what's a close race. I think Brown wins, not because, Warren is or isn't Native American or Irish or Mongolian, but because he is one of the few politicians that isn't completely terrified by voting against his party. That's what normal people who aren't completely tied to 'their' party want. I'm an independent voter from Massachusetts that isn't completely convinced that Brown isn't a complete moron, but I do appreciate the fact that he isn't a typical politician. I'm not sure that his pickup truck and outdoors-man jacket is the real guy or not. The one thing he needs to remember is that people in the middle haven't made up their minds yet and this type of campaigning might lose our vote. It's the bad side of politics because it can't be proven one way or the other before the election and therefore doesn't really matter. Stick to the true issues of the day so we can figure out who to vote for.

September 26, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  51. fiftyfive55

who cares,I supposedly have native American blood from somewhere in my past and it hasnt made a difference in my life at all. All that AMERICANS really care about is who you are and not your bloodlines.

September 26, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  52. bellenoitr

This is so stupid. A lot of us have either a great-grandmother or grandfather that was either Native American or part native American. In the 50s I had a friend in grammar school whose mother was 100% Iroquois. Her father was Franco-American. As a child, I thought it was cool. As an American I felt bad that our history shows how badly we treated these indigenous tribes. A lot of my Canadian background has native Americans in it. It no big deal!

September 26, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  53. From Toronto, Canada

I do know a few white women with beautiful blond hair and blue eyes who claim to have Native American ancestry. You can never in a million years tell they have NA blood in them. At 1/32 or 1/64, how can you really tell? I believe Warren.

September 26, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  54. Woody

Fauxcahontas may not be 1/16th Cherokee but she is 1/1th Elitist Liberal Liar.

Harvard benefited by counting her in their Federal reporting Statistics as a minority, so it was a perpetuation of a Fraud. Ironically, it's also the same way Barack Obama got into Harvard as well.

September 26, 2012 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  55. monte

just test her mitocondrial dna, then put it to rest.

September 26, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  56. aaron

If Warren were a light-skinned black woman claiming to be white or indian, they wouldn't dare confront her on it. She's light enough though that these Repubs think they can attack her racially without repercussions. She should take ask if Brown is Indian also since he so eagerly disrobes to pose nude....couldn't be trying to take himself back to the old days when clothing was optional for Indians.

September 26, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
    • I Believe Her

Elizabeth Warren is a person with integrity. She works hard for people who are under-represented in this country. Obviously she is proud of her Native American roots, and will work hard to improve the lives of Native American peoples. This is a GOOD thing. She is very intelligent and trustworthy. Mass. is one of the states which is known to have had many Native Americans. A mitochondrial DNA test would certainly prove it, but the fact that she is not benefitting from her claim gives her no reason to be lying.

September 26, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  57. I'm a "Native American."

I was born here.

What a contentious, litigious society in which we exist!

So many advocacies, so little time...

September 26, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  58. JustTheFacts

Let's see, falsely claim that you are NA. Falsely claim you are a lawyer. That's a pattern and not a good one .

September 26, 2012 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  59. Nina

Oh yes, she looks so native that her hair is dark and straight and she is dark skinned... Yes she has to be native for sure. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I don't know who she is trying to fool!

September 26, 2012 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Epidi

My children are 1/16 Lenape Delaware from their father's side. They are both blond. My daughter has brown eyes and my son has bluish grey. The Native blood in them may be watered down – and they may not LOOK Native but their hearts are keenly proud of their Native heritage as well as the Scots, Irish, English & Germanic ties. Even mutts like us love our parentage and ancestors no matter how mixed the races blend.

September 26, 2012 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennybugg

My daughter is 1/4 Cree with government recognized Indian Status ( Canada). She is blonde, blue eyed and fair. My husband is 1/2 Cree and is fair with green eyes. Colour has little to do with it. ( they do both have high cheek bones however)

September 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  60. crazeelegs

Once again, a Republican, Brown, wants to use an issue about someone's birth or ethnicity. What else is new? They will use any tactic to shift the attention from the real issues. Republicans are desperate–they know it–and are resorting to using anything to win a vote. If won't work, Scotty, we will beam you up.

September 26, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  61. Evelyn Connaway

TO ME THE FIRST CITIZENS OF THIS LAND WAS THE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIANS. MANY MARRIED THE STRANGE WHITE PEOPLE WHO CAME HERE. AS TIME WENT ON AND MARRIAGE TO AN INDIAN WASN'T ACCEPTED BY MANY. MANY CHILDREN OF THE MIXED RACE WERE GIVEN THE NAME OF "BLACK DUTCH" AND I REMEMBER WHEN SOMEONE ASKED MY GRANDMOTHER WHAT HER NATIONALITY WAS, MY GRANDFATHER ALWAYS LAUGHED AND SAID,"BLACK DUTCH".I WAS GROWN BEFORE I KNEW WHAT THAT MEANT. BUT I REMEMBER ALL THE OLD INDIAN MEDICAL REMEDIES SHE AND MY MOTHER USED. WHAT DOES AN INDIAN LOOK LIKE? THEY DON'T ALL LOOK ALIKE, AS PEOPLE USED TO SAY THE BLACK AMERICAN'S DID. THEY LOOK JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE. I WAS MARRIED TO A MAN WHO HAD A CHEROKEE MOTHER AND A FRENCH FATHER AND HE AND I HAD THE SAME BROWN HAIR BROWN YES AND OLIVE COMPLEXION. WHAT NATIVE AMERICAN BLOOD I HAVE I AM PROUD OF – IT MIGHT BE LIKE THE OLD SAYING, IF YOU HAVE ONE DROP OF BLACK BLOOD, YOU ARE BLACK – LOTS OF STUPIDITY IN THIS OLD WORLD.

September 26, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
    • bcatl

We share the Black Dutch explanation. It's cool to find out other families used it as well. Most people have no idea that it's illegal to claim to be Native American. My Great grandfather, was given a choose swear on the bible he was white or give up his bought and paid for land and move to the reservation. If Obama is black then I'm certainly Cherokee, or Black Dutch if you must. :)

September 26, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Albert E

Evelyn, your rant is a waste, and whats up with the CAPS???????

September 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Evelyn Connaway

ALBERT E – AT 85 I SEE BETTER WITH THE LARGER PRINT. SORRY IF YOU OBJECT. I HAVE LOTS OF ELDERLY FRIENDS WHO DO NOT MIND THE LARGER PRINT. IN FACT WHEN MY DAUGHTER SENDS OUT OUR FAMILY NEWSLETTER – SHE
        HAS SEVERAL SHE MAKES EXTRA LARGE PRINT FOR.

November 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mary

We all have a heritage.. And we are proud to know where we came from. What we are...
    Our ancestry..
    The blood quantum is different for each nation. Still you must prove you have a relative on the role's..
    But many have native American heritage , even if they can not prove it through the role's..
    You can thank white people for it.. They taught many native americans to be ashamed of their race.And they denied being native American..
    I think its time people stopped scoffing about Ms Warrnen claiming native american.
    If you were to ask Obama his race, he is as much white as he is black. Yet he looks black.. Does that make him less white? NO...
    Our ancestry.. Does not have to show outwardly..
    And we all have a right to who we are.. Even if we didn't inherit the gene that is dominant for that race..

September 26, 2012 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
    • DB

Agreed...your phenotype is not an indication of who you are – dna is the truth!

This is so hypocritical ...what about of the folks who were 1/32 black but forced to be black.

September 26, 2012 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Epidi

Well said!

September 26, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
    • JImR978

"If Elizabeth Warren was told she had native American ancestry and was proud of it and wrote it down.. She did nothing wrong."

The question has ZERO to do with the personal tales of her ancestry told within her family or amongst friends.

She made her claims in a professional registry. If she falsely claimed ancestry and got a job or was promoted because of the false claim then what she did is called fraud.

Family lore that you are descended from the Romanov's doesn't make you heir to the Russian throne.

September 26, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  63. smithdp

Is she a fake Indian? I'm more concerned about Brown, the phony moderate, occasionally allowed to vote with the Democrats, but only when his vote won't change the final outcome.

September 26, 2012 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  64. Hugh Mann

Why would it matter? Do you have to be "pure blood" to be elected in the US?
    There's a lot of us Heinz57 Americans with mixed blood, and a lot of us have some native heritage,,,like it or not....
    Republicans are getting really stupid lately...out of touch with their own country, I think

September 26, 2012 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  65. Pam from Texas

I have Native ancestors. Didn't even know that it "required" citizenship in a tribe. Just have always been proud of what my great-grandmother used to share with all of her great stories. Were the tales true? I have no idea and really don't care. When I think of her, those great memories are just part of my childhood. Sure I could have a DNA test and find out for sure but I don't want to ruin what she and I shared. But know this – I've always stood proud for all minorities because of her. And when I saw the video and heard the horrible sounds of Mr. Brown's co-workers I wanted to be ill. How dare they make light of anyone's life story. It's sickening and disgusting.

September 26, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Evelyn Connaway

I AGREE PAM FROM TEXAS, I AM IN TEXAS ALSO. AND I WAS GUNG HO FOR WHAT EVER ELIZABETH WARREN WANTED TO DO. I THINK SHE IS A WONDERFUL WOMAN AND AM GLAD SHE IS RUNNING FOR SENATOR OF MASS.
      AND I WANT HER TO WIN IN THE WORST WAY. YEARS AGO WHEN COMPANIES WERE BEING ASKED TO HIRE MINORITES, MY BOSS CAME IN TO MY OFFICE AND SAID, DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU HAD INDIAN BLOOD, I SAID YES – HE DIDN;T ASK HOW MUCH OR WHAT KIND JUST – OKAY YOU ARE MY FIRST MINORITY.!

September 26, 2012 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  66. blaqb0x

Some of these govt forms, including Univ. application, have like 20 boxes to describe your ethnicity. Coming from Mexican and Filipino parents, it can get pretty confusing trying to "accurately" describe yourself. I think a few times I checked off Mexican and Pacific Islander because there was no Filipino checkbox. If I run for office some day, are people going pounce on me for describing myself as Hawaiian?

September 26, 2012 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  67. Erich

Stop picking on Elizabeth Warren! Liz is a dear friend and a ass set to President Obama's socialist agenda. With all her hard work last year,she only made 650.000 at Harvard,so she knows the plight of the poor working man and woman.Go Lizzie!!
    Fondly, Nurse Ratchet

September 26, 2012 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  68. Jill

Native American ancestry is pretty common in the US, for obvious reasons. I don't see any reason why someone should be afraid to discuss their heritage. It is also true, however, that it is very common for us white folks, who also have native American heritage, to be completely out of touch with our heritage, since we grew up white. There's a major cultural difference between people who happen to have a bit of Native American blood, and people who actually grew up on a reservation. I do think that it is interesting, however, that in order to be legally recognized as a Native American, you have to be registered with a tribe. I don't believe that resembles any other ethnic group recognized in the US. In my opinion, its good to respect all of your ancestors. I don't really know the whole context upon which this article is based, though, so I'm not sure if this lady was being exploitative.

September 26, 2012 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  69. Geoff

How about we do away with the race/ethnicicty labels? How have they benefitted us? They haven't. It's a joke. Penguins don't do it and nor should we.

September 26, 2012 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Triple A

You keep talking like that and Liberals are gonna get a tick in their neck. :)

September 26, 2012 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  70. Mommers

Are folks in Massachusetts so dumb that they would vote for this imposter and liar?

September 26, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Corwin7

Well they did once but this time I think they will be smarter and vote for Elizabeth Warren!

September 26, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  71. Kyle

Where's Scott Brown's proof that she's Not Native American? Scott Brown leveled the charge. He carries the burden of first proving she's not Native American.. I had Scott Brown pegged all wrong. At first i thought he was a decent intelligent man. Now i think he's a complete sleazebag.

September 26, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  72. Jakelee

She looks like an "Injun" to me!

September 26, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  73. Susie

I am a native American. I was born in this country.

September 26, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • AbbieR

Oh, of course, and your ancestors were conquered and nearly exterminated by "settlers" of this land. If you are anything but American Indian, you are not "native" – you're the descendent of immigrants. You may be a U.S. citizen by birth, but you are not Native...or indigenous, if you will.

September 26, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  74. jdoe

"The New England Historic Genealogical Society provided initial research that shows several members of Warren's maternal family claiming Cherokee heritage. Warren's great-great-great grandmother O.C. Sarah Smith, is said to be described as Cherokee in an 1894 marriage license application."

How is it Warren's fault if her maternal family claimed Indian heritage in the past, and her parents told her so? If your parents told you as a kid that you are part so-and-so, do you ask for papers and blood test results?

September 26, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  75. xfiler93

LOL She is a joke!! LOL

September 26, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  76. EKIA

She lied about being a native american and lied about being a lawyer. Massachusetts, you have an easy choice.

September 26, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  77. Bric

What is this?????????????????????????
    I'm white, but I can't prove it.
    I could have lied on my license.
    I'm also a little Native American, but I can't prove it.
    German, Irish, French-can't prove it.
    Everybody is related 1,000 years ago, and everybody is part everything.
    Ego-maniacal tyrants attempt to arbitrate speech.
    No Native American is 100% Native American, and anyone who thinks so is outrageously ignorant.
    ("Black Indians"-or read any book about Cherokee leaders at the time of their "Trail of Tears" period.)

September 26, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  78. Michael Dorn

"It's a bit more complicated, said Trahant, a member of the Shoshone-Bannock Tribes.

"The usual standard is citizenship, being a member of a tribe. Elizabeth Warren does not meet that test," he said."

No it isn't. It's not complicated at all. Genetics are a completely different topic from citizenship. Saying that I have german, irish, english, and whatever other motley genetic stock that makes up my family roots is not the same thing as claiming I'm a citizen of those respective nations.

September 26, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  79. CAC

Is this even a story?

September 26, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • ponderonit101

This not a story worthy of Scott Brown's attention.

September 26, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

No, no it isn't. There are just a lot of people in this country who are constantly looking for something to get riled up about. Regardless, of who gets elected to any office, it is those people who will bring this country down by refusing to believe we are all in this together. They believe that their tight little circle of family and friends are the center of the universe, and their concerns are the only legitimate ones. From the looks of the comments I see on all sorts of articles posted on all sorts of sites, those people make up a pretty substantial % of the population. That concerns me more than anything Romney or Obama might do if elected.

September 26, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  80. Richard Jones

I would say no to being an Injun !!! She is way too stupid !!!! She is likely 90% plus African-Massachusetts !!!!

September 26, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Moses

STOP christian terrorism against Medical Marijuana Patients – STOP it you devil snakes with Badges.

September 26, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Sey

The US government manages the Native Americans even to this day. The US feels that Native Americans are not capable of conducting their own business so everything is managed by the Government for the most part. My daughter IS 1/2 Choctaw and has a CDIB roll number as do her kids who are more than 3/4's. She is an attorney and was not able to get into Harvard although she tried, her Grades were great and she tried. Native Americans just laugh when a non Native American claims they are "Cherokee", they call them "Cher-o-keeee's". The Congressional Black Caucus has blocked money being sent to the true Cherokee's because the Tribe does not recognize the Slaves they held claiming that these same slaves should be considered part of the tribe. The Tribe refuses to do so and so the Black Caucus is trying to force them to recognize these slaves as part of the tribe to receive the allocated funds.

September 26, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Is this sarcasm or stupidity? I can't tell.

September 26, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  81. bill il

hama
    there is also no proof that she is native american either so you would also be perpetuating her lie, please use some common sense some must still exist. 1+1=2

September 26, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  82. Squeezebox Babe

I don't see what the big deal is. Why is there such a difference between being African American and Native American. African Americans don't have to prove lineage....and way back in the day – just one drop of African American blood made one an African American. Shouldn't it be the same for Native Americans? I'm 1/8th.....1/16th on both my father's side and mother's side, and sometimes I check the box that says I'm Native American and sometimes I check the box that says I'm white. Sometimes I check the box that says "mixed".....One day at my job, I said I was trying to change my ethnicity to Native American – and an African American said to me, "Are you a card carrying Native American?""....and I said back to her, "Nope – are you a card carrying African American?" End of discussion. If one ethnicity does not have to prove it – neither should another.

September 26, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • theBigE

Math lesson for you – if both your parents are 1/16 NA, you are also 1/16 NA, not 1/8. You add the fraction each of your parents have, then divide by 2.

If your parents were both 1/2 NA, that wouldn't make you 100% NA would it?

September 26, 2012 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  83. lindyhopp

Just about everyone with roots in Oklahoma claims some Native'American ancestry. People say: "Oh, Scotch-Irish, English, German, and some Chotaw." Or "English, French, and my great-grandmother was half-Cherokee." It's just part of the culture, part of the history of the region. North Carolina's the same way.

Give Elizabeth Warren a break! What's more appalling is that Soctt Brown seems to think it's just awful that she's a college professor. And at Harvard no less. How horrible. A really bright person in the Senate. Banish the thought!

September 26, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Coroner

She is a first class liar and has been caught twice.

September 26, 2012 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  84. Bob

That's right, Scott Brown. There's no way a woman could get into Harvard without preferential treatment. Poor white men! So oppressed by all those women and minorities. It must be so terrible for people like Scott Brown automatically getting preferential treatment for just being born and never being stopped by the police for no reason or no one ever questioning if he REALLY earned his degree or position. It's SOOO tough being a white male.

September 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

You've never actually been to Massachusetts have you?

September 26, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Independent from New Hampshire

I used to live in Cambridge, Mass, and I can tell you Bob is correct on several points. Having lived there I can assert that many professors at Harvard are male. I didn't go there, my girlfriend did. Like the movie "The Social Network" I was just a loser that went to Boston University (BU). Or at least that's what Zuckerberg would say. And BU had plenty of male professor's as well.

September 26, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  85. wdavid barber

All that matters to me is she is far and away more intelligent than Brown. If there I would vote for her in a heartbeat!

September 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coroner

And this is why you fail. She is a manipulative liar and you are too dumb to see it.

September 26, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  86. simplydre3000

I really don't know if she can claim it or not, the records of most outside a race is ofter hidden to protect the mothers and babies. My great grandmother's childen had a chowtaw dad. Slaves often mixed with natives for survival. we don't know waht Ms. Warren's family had to do to protect or conceal the true idenity of the fathers or mothers. I call this the great distractions of the GOP. How many white men were really telling the truth of their sperm sharing experiences. We know they shared it and made babies this how we african-americans in the us. Not all african-americans have white heritage, but a huge number do. I do for sure. Lets do some free dna to see where whites, blacks and natives mix and share the same strands. I am sure some family secrets would come out. Anyway, if she claimed it good. Now lets move the issues facing the voter. Republicans are good at avoiding hard questions about what is happening in the real world. They like to talk about make believe worlds. What if Obama was a muslim, he is not, What if Michelle hates America, she does not. What if those lazy 47% ers actually got a job and paid taxes. They pay taxes every day they work and every time they spend money inthe economy. The rich get the money back because they control 80% of the wealth in America. So don't get caugh up the Goofiness, Obstructionism, Propanda = GOP.

September 25, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  87. doughnuts

How many generations back do you have to go before you're considered a native? Grandparents? Great-grandparents? I can go back at least 260 years on my Dad's side of the family.

Is that enough?

September 25, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Keith

My 20th great grandfather was the King of the Piscataways, and a friend of Lord Baltimore. Does that make me Native American?

September 25, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

it makes it part of your heritage and I'll bet you've told plenty of people about it in your life..........

September 26, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • JimR978

A highly unlikely story. For your 20th great grandfather to have known Lord Baltimore at all you'd be talking about 24 generations of people all born within the last 378 years (and that's being generous and assuming that this supposed ancestor of your's met Lord Baltimore the day he landed in North America and that you were born just this year...) . For any family to have managed to produce subsequent generations by the age of 15 for 24 straight generations would be unheard of.

September 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Hama

I have blond hair/green eyes. My mother has NA blood on both sides of her family. She was dark-haired with brown eyes. the issues are what matters. Not someone's heritage. If she believe she is NA. That is her business.

September 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

It's that easy? Yay I'm a unicorn!

September 25, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Charles KS

What is missed in the comments is an understanding of the political correctness of universities, with Harvard at the top. Being a member of a minority group adds value to whatever one brings to the table. Just like Ward Churchill at Colorado, he would never have been hired as Ethnic Studies department head, with tenure, if he had not claimed to be an American Indian. She put it on her resume to get ahead...that is the issue. She lied to get ahead.

September 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hama

You're just speculating and exspousing your racist views.

September 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Coroner

Racism again? Lame and uneducated argument. Get back in line for whatever handout you are waiting for.

September 26, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Hama

What is really missing are the issues. Which have nothing to do with her race or ethnicity. Brown has nothing to say about the issues, so he results to name calling. He will lose too.

September 25, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Issues Please

Who Cares!!!! Majority of this country has multiple ethnic make-up........ Get REAL Scott Brown other-wise one might tend to think THAT YOU, Scott Brown are a Bigoted Racist!!!!!!!!!!!

Please discuss the Issues, Otherwise I will have to Conclude that YOU, Scott Brown have ONLY EMPTY SPACE between your Ears!!!!!!!!

September 26, 2012 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Coroner

You want facts from Brown but require none from your Preezy. The facts you get from Warren are lies. Ignorant hypocrites.

September 26, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  91. Ray Clouse

This is so stupid. My aunt is at least 1/2 Native American but you'd never know it looking at her.

Just more useless conservative outrage. They've got nothing of substance to say so they pull out their old standby, racism.

September 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill il

ray clouse how is this racist? You obviously don't understand what that word means.

September 25, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tgallant

You are wrong. It is wrong to falsely claim to be a member of a minority in order to gain an advantage. That is the issue and she just can't see that.

September 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Mr.Guy

Leave fauxcahontas alone!

September 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • M. Yellowbear

Mr. Guy,
      Whoever you are, where ever you are thanks!
      I am an enrolled member of a Federally recognized tribe in Washington State (with a sense of humor). Your "Fauxcahontas" moniker is a classic! This will become part of rez lexicon, and deservedly so.
      Awesome.

September 25, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Scottt01

Put out the paperwork showing her heritage, enough said.

September 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tgallant

That is exactly the issue. There is none. Nada...zip.

September 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Allen RC

Let's see-if her great, great, great grandmother was a full-blood Cherokee, Ms. Warren would be 1/62 Cherokee. It really is quite a stretch to say that she is a native american. Like most of us, when you go back through 5 or 6 generations, you will find one of just about everything.

September 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Scottt01

I am more interested in her praticing law without a license.

September 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  96. KBR

During the 2010 I called the Census Bureau's toll-free number. I wanted to find out if they had some way of telling what racial heritage that a person is. They did not. You could say whatever you like. So I simply said "HUMAN" since I could could indisputably prove that I am human.

September 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sadie

I was a 2010 census taker. Did interviews on people's door steps. And you are right. We were told not to argue with any person no matter what they said vs what they looked like. A few people really took their claims to extremes, and I just checked what they said. It really did not matter.

September 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  97. 1twinsfan

Brown is a tool. You can just by looking, right Scott? Cameron Diaz, half-Cuban.

September 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • james brown

Except Hispanic (Cuban) is an ethnicity and Native American is a race. Big difference. But it doesn't matter what someone looks like anyway, the evidence is that she is not Native American and used it as an advantage to gain minority status. She is one big deceit.

September 26, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
      • lance corporal

NO, the evidence is that she NEVER used it for any form of advancement....

why do republicans twist stuff in to a lie and then just say it as if that ended the discussion???

September 26, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  98. Porchia

Both my grandmothers were full Cherokee but that does not give me the right to say I am Native American.
    Some people will capitalize on anything to get ahead, most likely politicians.

September 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  99. David AZ

After what I saw on the news.. I just sent Elizabeth Warren $100. That kind of antiquated moronic behavior needs to be put away. Brown is a moron puppet in the pocket of wall street.

September 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Caspara

This is absolutely ridiculous. From I what I gather she's not checking Native American for the census. She's saying that Native American roots are a part of her heritage. Well that's great. I have English, German, and Irish heritage to my name, more closely removed than her Native American roots. It doesn't mean I'm Irish. Or German. Or English. That's just my history. Now if it actually impacted her professionally, that's another matter. But that should be pretty easy to find out.

I hate the concept of having to prove citizenship to talk about your family history though. It isn't appropriation unless it really wasn't there to begin with. And whether or not it was there to begin CAN be subjective. We don't like grey areas in political discussions, but that's one of them.

September 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • David AZ

If she were a republican – the republicans would be railing against the very tactic they themselves deploy. What I find the most depressing is how incredibly stupid American voters are to be so EASILY distracted by crap like this.

September 25, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Morefreestuf

No previous post

September 26, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • bill il

No ones asking that people prove citizenship just not lie to get a special advantage as she did, the real issue should be that we still give people preferential treatment based on the color of their skin, I though everyone agreed that was wrong in the 60's, but apparently its only wrong to discriminate against minorities.

September 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hama

There is no proof she got special treatment, so you are just perpetuating the lie.

September 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • CNNuthin

@Hama – What special treatment? Or are you just perpetuating a lie about her getting special treatment?

September 26, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Morefreestuf

She did check the box and freely admits it.

September 26, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |