Penn State sorority sisters denigrate Mexicans in party photo
Penn State's Chi Omega chapter apologized for this photo that was posted on Tumblr.
December 5th, 2012

Penn State sorority sisters denigrate Mexicans in party photo

By Moni Basu, CNN

(CNN) - Penn State has had its share of controversy for a while, but this week it is getting some more unwanted attention.

The university's Chi Omega sorority chapter is under investigation after a photo with Mexican stereotypes surfaced on a social media site.

It shows a group of sorority members dressed in ponchos and sombreros and wearing fake mustaches. One woman holds a sign that says: "Will mow lawn for weed + beer." Another sign says: "I don't cut grass. I smoke it."

The photograph was taken at a Mexican-themed party around Halloween, according to the independent college blog, Onward State. It was posted last week on Tumblr.

The university's Panhellenic Council said it had received concerns about the photo and that the council does not condone derogatory behavior from members.

"The Penn State Panhellenic Council recognizes the offensive nature of the photo and is therefore taking the matter very seriously," the executive board said in a statement.

"We are addressing the situation immediately with the members of the chapter in conjunction with their national headquarters," it said. "Our council and all its members strive to hold ourselves to a high standard and are disappointed by any failure to meet these expectations."

Jessica Riccardi, president of the Chi Omega chapter at Penn State, released an apology to The Daily Collegian newspaper.

“Our chapter of Chi Omega sincerely apologizes for portraying inappropriate and untrue stereotypes," she said. "The picture in question does not support any of Chi Omega’s values or reflect what the organization aspires to be."

The connections to the sorority were discovered through members' names tagged on Facebook, Onward State said. The posts have since been taken down.

Penn State public relations director Lisa Powers said that university officials have had conversations with Chi Omega members and that the women have expressed "deep remorse."

"The students in the photo are within their First Amendment rights to express themselves in this way, although we are certainly appalled that they would display this level of insensitivity and lack of judgment," Powers said.

"Because the right of free expression is guaranteed under the Constitution - for both behaviors we disagree with or for those that we support - we are approaching this as a teachable moment to engage this group of young women in discussions about their actions and to further educate them about diversity issues," she said.

Powers said the national leadership of Chi Omega will have to decide if disciplinary action is warranted.

A statement from Chi Omega headquarters said, "Personal degradation has no place in our organization, even if such behavior is meant facetiously or in jest. The Chi Omega national organization is taking this situation very seriously and is being thoughtful and deliberate regarding any sanctions or educational directives for the chapter."

At least one student at Penn State demanded a direct apology from Chi Omega to all Latinos.

"This is not a joke. This is our culture," said Ariel Coronel, president of the Penn State Latino Caucus.

She was shocked when she first saw the photo and said the signs the women were holding were especially offensive.

"There's a huge drug war going on in Mexico and you have a sign that says, 'We will mow lawns for weed and beer,' " Coronel said. "It's wrong on so many levels. How can you think this is OK?"

The reactions to the incident varied on Twitter. Here are two:

Posted by
Filed under: Ethnicity • Latino in America • Race • What we think
soundoff (2,139 Responses)
  1. Not impressed

Oh my Penn State ! It just keeps going for you, doesn't it?

December 7, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Olivia

I am Hispanic and my father was born in Mexico and I' m honestly not that offended I don't see it as that big of a deal to get national attention. It was just a mexican themed party and was meant to be fun!The only thing I think is a little offensive to me is the signs. But I don't believe they were of malicious intent they were jst trying to be funny. Obviously it was a bad joke and kind of dumb to post something like that on the internet but i dont think they deserve any harsher punishment. They did apologize plus They were nationally humiliated and are being recognized as a racist sorority. i think thats punishment enough.

December 7, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stephen

So for all those complaining about how sensitive and PC Americans have become, help me to understand what's so terrible about discouraging people to be insensitive jerks. It's not as though anyone is suggesting these girls be strung up on the gallows. Being held responsible for our inconsiderate statements or behaviors is part of being an adult.

December 7, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The people that whine the most are also the ones that decry racism when one disagrees with Obama..or uses agressive language calling the rich evil and the such. Go watch the very liberal california teachers union video. But thats ok right? Because a liberal did it? What about the black teacher that abused a white girl DURING class because she had a Romney button? (Oh and that teacher didnt get fired..shes still employed and being paid..but if it was a white teacher and a black kid...would she still be a teacher?) Thats ok though right because the teacher is a minority and the girl is obviously an evil white person. Or how about the liberal press editing Zimmermans 911 calls to portray him as a white racists..when hes hispanic..thats ok though. Where is the liberal rile when Obama donated $70k to his daughters as a tax shelter..then decrys about rich tax shelters? I would bet if this was a bunch of black girls depicting white girls...liberals wouldnt make a peep. Or if it was hispanic girls depiciting wonderbread..liberals wouldnt make a peep. Ultimate hipocrits.

December 7, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. potassinana

This picture is a great example of the diversity and intellectual characteristics of a typical sorority. How many ethnic minorities do you see? Oh, there's maybe two Asians. Of the white girls, how many tanning-bed tans can you spot? Oh. A lot. How many pre-meds or pre-laws can you guess there are? Probably none.

I hate sororities in general. You can say all you like about how your sorority was great, etc. etc. but the truth is most of them are discriminatory and just plain stupid. Why do you think there are so many black or other "minority" sororities now? It's because the main ones are mostly all white (and blond to boot). Eating disorders are much more prevalent in sororities. Individuality is discouraged. I hate fraternities as well, but that's another topic.

December 6, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • situationalawareness

Being a little racist there, aren't you? You're starting to stereotype white girls in dorms now.

December 7, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Party

Give me a break! People need to lighten up and spoke some weed! This world is way too uptight and sensitive.

December 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rudy Venegas

Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do.....

December 7, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Diana

Not surprised. Sororites are a poor excuse of an organized clique. It's like gangs except they do stupid things like get high, sleep around and get drunk every where. Luckily, I am smart enough and too busy taking class that are going to take me somewhere in life.

December 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • JW

Just a little fun fact: Greeks tend to have higher GPA's and they are 10% more likely to graduate than all other students. Think about that before you make such a comment.

December 7, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
      • RM

Great reply, I am sure that is why Greece is doing so well in the EU.

December 7, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Ellis

What studies do you imagine don't "take you somewhere in life?" Additionally, I myself have never once been high and never been pressured to consume alcohol. In fact there are several women in my sorority who choose not to imbibe. I do not deny that Greek life has its fair share of fun, but not every Greek system is as wild as you assume.
      I fear for you in the real world where you're "going somewhere" if you can't be open minded to lifestyles that aren't exactly like yours. Also, best of luck with your singular class. Should be a tough finals week for you.

December 7, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
      • crookedarm

Well, aren't you specialllllllllllllll!

December 7, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. hateuall

This is what happens when you set up diploma factories and let really stupid people pretend they are getting an education.

December 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Moreno

I'm just so curious to know what are they majoring in.

December 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eric

Lol

December 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saggyroy

Just keep going Penn State....

December 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Archie

If you leap to your feet, beating your chest and screaming till your face blue every time you hear something you do not like that does not make you holier than thou. Young people have a licence to make mistakes that is part of learning. They did not write on other people's building or break any window. If you want them to submit what they want to say to a political adviser before saying it please emigrate to Russia and wind your clock backward 50 years. The girls are alright.

December 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • hateuall

Making excuses for excuseless stupidity. How pathetic. No wonder today's youth are so clueless.

December 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

And no wonder our society today is so frighteningly liberal.

We've lost our sense of humor. It's been replaced with manufactured idealism masquerading as compassion.

I don't buy it. Grow a pair. It was a joke, however tasteless or not.

December 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

I also find your username deliciously ironic in this context.

December 6, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Obviously your not latin, it does hurt when your stereotyping a race with mowing a lawn or cutting grasses, I mean if I was Mexican, I might feel sad about myself, or my parents and would feel belittled by other race and that is wrong....everyone wants to feel good about themselves and this picture does the opposite...except for those stupid girls, its the same thing about making humiliating joke about your country by other foreigners and you wouldn't laugh at it would you?

December 7, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cameron

I am Mexican and THIS IS NOT RACIST. This is mildly amusing at best. The photo is stupid–and guess what, it was meant to be! This country is so politically correct to the point of absurdity.

December 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Moreno

If we let these type of things be funny, and not make people realize they should have respect for other people, then we'll soon get to other levels, I'm mexican and I don't like it.

December 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • kayhbradford

Humor is medicine. We need to lighten up more. It's nobody's place to say what's allowed.

December 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

Toughen up you delicate flower.

I hear a lot of incendiary remarks directed my way due to race on a daily basis because of the location and nature of my employment.

I can't say I've once ever gave it a passing thought.

December 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Party

Right on! Thank you, Cameron. I couldn't agree with you more.

December 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • vl

I find it interesting that you seem to think "I'm Mexican" means you speak for all Mexicans. This photo is incredibly racist. The sad part is you don't think people actually believe this. Believe me they do. I'm not Mexican, but I'm from California and you wouldn't believe the kind of racist comments I hear about Mexicans on an almost daily basis from various people. Do they deserve to be vilified by the entire nation? No, because many of college students and sororities/fraternities do much worse and no one cares. But were they stupid and wrong? Yes, and they should apologize.

December 6, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • crookedarm

Have another burrito so as to keep you from crying anymore. 😦

December 7, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. John

I am very upset with this. It makes us Americans look so bad, which is not what America is. I truly believe that each of these young women have made a fool of themselves. They have expressed to have no value in themselves. I am very disappointed by this. Y'all should be ASHAMED of yourselves.

December 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naya

All I have to say is I can't believe these girls spent time planning on this and buying so many ponchos and sombreros hoping they would go viral that just shows how much of lives they dont have 1.) stop disrespecting people 2.) do something with your lives and 3.) smd

December 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mad?

This is hilarious, I'm lol'ing right now looking at that pic. BTW, people like you need to get a damn life. "OH I'M WHINING AND COMPLAINING AND OFFENDED ABOUT EVERYTHING IN THIS LIFE"

December 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

And people like you need to learn how to respect so swerve

December 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Belvarie Varnado

Good post.

December 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Texas-Romo

Wow, I just read all the post and scratch my head. I first saw this on the news this morning as I was headed to the gym. As the picture broke on the news I looked and cracked a grin and said wow and off I was. Point being is my father is Mexican and my mom is German/Irish and I understand everyones point of view or at least can relate(does not make me an expert), poeple are over reacting. Hell, If you look at the picture a couple of those girls did not have to model the hat or pancho because they almost look mexican. Let people say what they will one can only work the card delt us rather we are mixed, brown, white ,,,,, cut us all – God created us to bleed and breath the same.

-Go Dallas Cowboys – hang in there boys its a tough year

December 6, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belvarie Varnado

I wonder if I should start resenting blond jokes instead of laughing at them

December 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Belvarie Varnado

I agree.

December 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. T. Johnson M.D.

The president of the organization said,"“Our chapter of Chi Omega sincerely apologizes for portraying inappropriate and untrue stereotypes" ...as opposed to what? Appropriate and true stereotypes? Can someone please provide these women with some appropriate and true education!

December 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belvarie Varnado

Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore? Make fun of my ancestors or family , I don't care. I have Chinese, Korean, black and white in my family. Go ahead. And some of my white ancestors were German. Fire away.

December 6, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

The thing I've come to realize that makes something funny or humorous is context. In the context of a comedy or standup the point of doing something like blackface or bad accents and sombreros is to make a larger satirical point about something. The context of this provides no statement other than ignorance. And honestly, the only thing that I think proves their ignorance is the signage. Without the signs, this is okay. But with them, they have proven to not have anything important or thought provoking to say, other than they clearly did not understand what they were doing crossed a line. I have no problem making fun of myself. I have no problem with white or black or Asian comedians making fun of Mexicans because their general end-game is to get you to all play along and they have a point to it. But this is something that's very different because of its context. And because this might matter to some, I'm Mexican and I think Affirmative Action has run its course.

December 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mad?

They're having fun, and I'm now offended that others are offended. I demand an apology

December 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Eddie

I think the cardboard signs they put up is what made this so bad obviously. I have to say though the comments are pretty interesting. I was born in Mexico and grew up in the states from Anglo/Mexican parents. I think some people are overreacting a bit but clearly these girls were dumb enough to think this would not be offensive. Obviously, if you traveled a bit you would see/get to know all kinds of Hispanics that would debunk the crap they put up. We live in a pretty PC world now but still people just don't realize how much it hurts those from Mexico. Those of you (Mexican or non-Hispanic) who post saying it’s not a big deal either don’t have the perspective to understand or shrug it off as a joke because they don't what to look inside and realize how much it does bother them.

You're going to find people like that everywhere. Trust me there is plenty of this crap going around even within different types of Hispanics (i.e. regions of Mex, different countries) or the different "classes" of Hispanics out there. These girls should have known better and will likely be punished for it. Such is life.

December 6, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Juan Islas

Well said. That's what I wanted to say. Pinches mamones, everything is offensive, everything is racist, everything is DISCRIMINATION, some even went to Mexico to be complain about Memin Pinguin postal stamp... give me a break. That's the reason Speedy Gonzalez disappeared, the dog from "I want Taco Bell." was banned. Now is prohibited having a sense of humor. As somebody mentioned before, let's just have a thicker skin. Salud.!

December 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CG

The problem is not the costume, the problem are the signs. The signs are horribly stereotypical and racist. Furthermore, why was it necessary to post the pictures on the internet? That kind of behavior is inviting criticism and scrutiny. Leave the racial comedy to the professionals who can make everyone laugh. If a Mexican/Hispanic sorority did something like that as dressed up as white college girls and held up signs that said "will fornicate for alcohol/weed" or something stereotypical of that nature there would probably some outrage.

There was nothing tasteful about this, and the fact that they put it out on the internet meant that they obviously didn't care too much about the people it was aimed at. The apology is a hollw one, much like a child who gets caught and knows that there is trouble following.

December 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. polemicist

A lot of white girls, and one Asian (that I saw). Does Chi Omega admit based purely upon being white?

December 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. You

"Only white people would do that"

And that's not racist? Plus, I see more than just white people in that picture. There's a non-white to the left of the girl with the sign. Another Asian to the far left.

Funny how society deems it permissible to make fun of the Irish as drunk, English as stuck up, Italians as guidos or gangsters, Germans as Nazis, French as pansies, Jews as cheap, Poles as stupid, etc. But when you joke about non-white ethnicities and their stereotypes it is all of a sudden racist.

December 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naya

yah the Jewish and other race jokes I never hear but I always hear jokes about mexicans and im sick of it ! And so your saying it's ok to disrespect others hmmmm . I can already see where this country is going

December 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • You

Bull! I highly doubt you have never heard jokes about the Irish being drunk, Poles being stupid, French being wussies, Jews being cheap, etc. You must live in a bubble if you never heard those jokes. They are the most common stereotypes in the country.

December 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Josephina G.

Probably they are all Tea/Republicans!

December 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JW

I think people are being very insensitive. It makes no sense to me why this is making national news. These girls should not have taken this picture and put it somewhere where others would see it. These stereotypes are true for some, and I find that most who get upset about this kind of thing are the ones the stereotypes tend to truly reflect. I am in a Greek organization, and we have always been told to watch what we put on social media. It's not just Greeks or people in any type of org that need to monitor what they put on display. Every person should because there is always somebody who is looking for a reason to blow something out of proportion and overreact. If there had been a picture making fun of white people, nobody would've cared. Out of all of the Mexicans upset about this, I'd like to know how many of ya'll have not said a "racist" or stereotypical comment about white people. 99.9% of you would be lying if you said you hadn't. Remember, there is a difference between racism and stereotypes, and next time you want to stereotype a white person, think about your ridiculous outrage over this photo.

December 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • VM

Yeah. We can talk about how something equivalently racist toward whites would not be on national news. But honestly, if you have not thought about the normativity(that is primarily white-ness) placed on those who are not white, you would not be making your comment.

December 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I definitely agree that people need thicker skin and that there should be no severe punishment. But there should be punishment. One thing is an off hand remark, another is an entire party themed specifically around a racial stereotype. Can you imagine the uproar if this was a 'blackface' party with signs saying something about child support and jail? Do you think that would be okay?

December 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • JW

You're right. There should be punishment within this particular chapter for the girls that chose to post this on social media. That is something their standards board should take care of, not the university. There are fiesta or mexican themed parties all the time, as well as white trash parties and things like that. These parties are not the problem. They are seen as just having fun. It's ok for people to drink margaritas, wear sombreros, and eat mexican food on Cinco De Mayo, so why not at a party? It's the same as when someone dresses up in a poncho and sombrero for halloween as when non greeks dress up in a "fratty" outfit to be a frat boy. The signs were the only thing that I could see being offensive and worth punishment.

December 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

Yeah, I definitely agree. The only thing that I find problematic is the signs. I have no problems with sombreros and donkeys and mustaches or anything.

December 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. eric

At least two Asian girls in that pic. Disappointing. they should know better.

December 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. revolting peasant

Yeah, but did you see the pictures from the Mexican fraternity? They were sporting fake booobs and tramp stamps.

December 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • crookedarm

Now that's funny!!!

December 7, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  26. maria

I find this very funny ,many of them loook like Mexican rf Hispanics,this spoil brats I bet came form rich families ,were the Mexicans clean the houses ,babysitt the kids,take care of the landscapes,that is why they look pristine and beautiful...... and maybe maybe (I believe in Karma ,many in their families are married to Mexicans or Hispanics ,who knows! I call this pure RACISM! I don't this this is funny at all!

December 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naya

They're wanna be Mexicans .

December 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • You

Mexican/Hispanic is not a race. So who are they being racist too?

December 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

It's a race if you think it's not a race then you better look your stuff up because honey you dont know what your talking about

December 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • You

Nope. Mexican/Hispanic is not a race. Try learning some physical anthropology. There are white Mexicans, Mestizo Mexicans, Arab Mexicans, Native American Mexicans, etc.

December 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

Ok is Mexicans and Hispanics aren't a race then Americans and white people aren't a race either

December 6, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • You

Americans aren't a race. Nobody ever claimed they were. There are white Americans, black Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, mixed race Americans etc just as there are white Mexicans, black Mexicans, Asian Mexicans, Native American Mexicans, and mixed race Mexicans.

It's sad that you don't even know your own heritage. Hispanic is a linguistic group that lumps people who come from Spanish speaking countries - regardless of their race. Most Latin Americans are descended from either white Europeans (mostly Spanish), black slaves, Native Americans, or a mixture between the three.

Mexican is not a race. There are white Mexicans like the boxer Saul Alvarez. Arab Mexicans like the businessman Carlos Slim Helu. Mestizo Mexicans like George Lopez. Mexicans can be of any race. I can't believe you don't know this. Go do some research will you? You are an embarrassment to your people.

December 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

okyou don't need to write a whole novel on this I'm just prooving you wrong so swerve !

December 6, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

Also if someone asked me what my race is what am I gonna say I don't have a race cuz I'm Mexican how stupid does that sound . I mean come on now think about . Im not trying to be mean but you sound ridiculous when your trying prove me wrong when I know im right and if you don't believe me google search it

December 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • situationalawareness

No swerving, Mexico and America are countries.
        Hispanic is a wide generic term used to mean anyone south of the American border. (again, generally)
        It literally means, "Of or relating to Spain or to Spanish-speaking countries, esp. those of Latin America."

December 7, 2012 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
      • White Latino

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. In fact, according to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white. Mexican and Canadian are nationalities.

December 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  27. malcolmtbm

are saying that Penn State folk is arrogant...?

December 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jwigginsburns

I am appalled, but not that surprised, at the behavior of these young women. I am more appalled at the number of commenters who are defending their actions. The sorority should be disciplined.

December 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Belarius Marek

Dude.. We WANT them to be drunk.. That is the whole point of hot college chicks...

December 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mick

Every other Saturday (plus other sporting events) some crazy looking figment of an imagination who is deliberately portrayed to be Irish,looks drunk, snarly and obviously looking for a fight runs around the football field at Notre Dame to the cheers of the NCAA administrators, fans of all nationalities and the same minorities on here crying about their hurt feelings and no one says a word.

The Irish don't. Know why? Because we are confident in who we are and what we are not. When it is time to have fun, we can do it at our own expense and more so when everyone else joins in but when it is time to get down to it, we do that with a confidence and determination that no one does it better. Ergo, so what!! Our accomplishments speak louder than a few barbs launched our way and everyone knows it.

December 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

And you make DARNED good libations! Very pro Irish.

December 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Go Irish!

December 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Belarius Marek

WOW.. CNN sucks.. Cutting my jovial quips.. Purely a Satanic organization.

December 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mike Quesadilla

The picture is nothing more than a beautful expression of the first amendment. Besides, we all know their signs are about 90% accurate anyways.

December 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |

And your like 90% stupid sterotypes are never true

December 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Me

so tru 🙂

December 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Huckleberry

I think we're confusing racism with negative cultural stereotypes

December 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

That's almost funny, not

December 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • situationalawareness

exactly... it's culturally related, not race.

I'm glad someone understands it....

December 7, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • White Latino

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. According to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white. Mexican and Canadian are nationalities.

December 7, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  34. GrogInOhio

Ever notice how often when a racist image appears how many apologist show up demanding that the offended stop being so PC? Here's an idea... how about so many people STOP BEING SO RACIST??? Just a thought...

December 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

Thinking is dangerous.. I shouldn't do so much of it if I were you..

December 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who Cares

It's a harmless joke. Is it partially true? If it's even 1% true, then what's the problem? Everyone gets so butt hurt by every little prank or joke someone does it's pathetic. I don't care if someone makes fun of me or my "type" thats what stereotypes are. Now, if they were actually doing a crime or being mean to an individual and making it personal, ok , I get that. It's a stilly picture because they were probably in Mexico or something along those lines. Get over it you chumps

December 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Agreed.

December 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realistic

Racism? Ridiculous!
      Stereotyping? Yes!
      Hispanics are often portrayed the same way in movies and tv... It's OK for a Hispanic individual to perpetuate the stereotype by being a lazy pot head, i.e. Cheech Marin, but a few "white girls" do it and people lose it. Comedians of all colors point their fingers at the other colors and laugh, at stereotypes. Why are these women being crucified? Oh... Religious reference?! Can't wait to see the comments.

December 7, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. Belarius Marek

Nah.. This one is FAR too much fun.

December 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Enya Spyder

I wonder if the sombreros, ponchos, and maracas were made in China. I see the insensitive young ladies as "job creators".

December 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

Absolutely!!

December 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Belarius Marek

As long as they don't remember what happened the next day.. I'm good..

December 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  38. John

Yeah, well there is a large mexican population on the other side of town from us and when they are walling along with their families, they're making comments in spanish about whites that are just as insulting. Unless you react, they don't realize that some of us can actually speak spanish quite well.

Picture looks fine to me. I got a good laugh out of it. If the mexicans don't like it, they can go the hell back to mexico.

December 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

Sing it out brother!!!

December 6, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina Lopez

This is America...land of the Free. I'm a Mexican American born and raised here. My father was born in Mexico and came to the United States as a teenager, My father worked hard (with his hands) and has made a very good living for himself, he makes good money, owned his own business, purchased his own house, never was on assistance, and is retired at 58 years old. My father’s hard work allowed me to get a college education and also achieve the American Dream. I own a house, car, money. My father also taught me so much more then working hard, my father taught me love, respect, integrity, and kindness. I'm a proud Mexican American (Hispanic, Latina, and Chicana)..Whatever you want to call me and your jokes/comments will never weigh on what I feel about myself or my people....we are a proud race.

December 6, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Eric

Seems like an endless array of ignorant and disgusting behavior stories on CNN. This is what we get when we mainstream ignorance, stupidity, racism and lunacy and wrap it in the GOP.

December 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

WOW.. Seriously? You're going to politicize this? I must say again.. WOW... Join Edwin and compare your sticks...

December 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Waa, waaa, waaa,,, the truth hurts don't it ? Get over it.

December 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • disengaging from you lunatics

Only one House Rep voted against outlawing the word "Lunatic" today. He was a member of the GOP. You can't use the word lunacy anymore. Your Dem and Sellout GOP have deemed it so.

December 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mrs. Venegas

I am of Mexican parents and this is not my heritage. My culture is beautiful and filled with so many traditions to be proud of. There is not a doubt in my mind that at least one of these girls is of Mexican decent. If one of these girls where my daughter, best believe she would be mowing lawns (for free) for a few months if she wanted me to pay for another semester of school. Lesson Learned!

December 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

Very well said.. FINALLY!

December 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Edwin

Everyone who thinks this is a harmless joke, ask yourself: if you were a hispanic college girl looking for a sorority, would you see this as funny - or would you see it as an indication that the sorority does not want 'your kind' to apply?

These kind of stunts serve to marginalize and isolate minority students. Given that hispanics are the single fastest growing demographic in this country, the school cannot really want to push such students away - especially given the recent damage to their reputation.

December 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

Lets try this again CNN. Edwin, remove that recreationally placed stick and smile for a change..

December 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I think everyone is taking this way too seriously. People need to chill out and stop being so defensive and dramatic. People need to stop "demanding" apologies and creating uproars. They need to learn to grow a thicker skin and be able to ignore these types of people. Engaging them with aggressive behavior is not a solution. Additionally, reacting with aggressive requests or behavior just makes a person look aggressive. There is nothing positive about being an aggressive person, and it does not solve problems. It may appear to solve problems but on the large scale it actually generates more. I think it is shameful to watch a bunch of people jump on people like this like a pack of wolves looking for something to attack. Just ignore it. Ignorance will always exist and going around making a huge deal about it just makes people look outrageous.

December 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Belarius Marek

Yup.

December 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

I definitely agree that America has become too PC. But seriously, what would you say if this were a blackface party with the girls in prison jumpsuits or something? Still think that's okay? I honestly think the only thing that actually makes it offensive are the two signs. That's what kindof takes it across the line. A line I put pretty far out there because I have no problem making fun of myself. And the best theory I've come up with as far as what makes something fun or in good nature is: context. In the context of a comedy or standup, this could be something that's funny. But the context of this is a bunch of 20something non-Hispanic girls at a party. There's no humor in that. They should get a couple sorority activities taken away from them but nothing that severe. I definitely definitely doubt that this was malicious in any way.

December 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Reggy NEWNEW

I'm guessing this was actually Canadian themed.

December 6, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Speedy Gonzales

What's under the ponchos?

December 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

Absolute bliss.

December 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. yo eddy

If people don't act right CNN is definitely going to show them how to act right. Gotta learn someway somehow!

December 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  45. arkmark

We must bulldoze the sorority house. and mount a witch hunt that will further weaken Pennn states foundation soon maybe we can all reminicw about how on what is now a parking lot one stood the proud penn state university and how continued witch hunts reduced it to such a sad state

December 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

How about not dismissing this as nothing, AND not over-reacting. There IS a middle ground.

My guess is that their little act will put their sorority on probation. Maybe they will be forced to actively recruit hispanic students - though my guess is that these women would not really welcome that.

Why do you see it as all-or-nothing? There are actually ways to deal with this that don't involve looking the other way OR making examples of these women.

December 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. John

Sadly, this is a learned behavior passed on from one generation to the next. These kids learned this from their parents, and will pass this behavior on to their children unless they come to the realization that what they've done is wrong.

December 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belarius Marek

OH WAAAAAAAAH!

December 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • w8in4ya

I could not agree more!

December 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Belarius Marek

I'm outraged they are not all naked.. MEXICANS GONE WILD!! WOOHOOO!!!

December 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. SPED

If Aaron is not an ELL then he has a learning disability.

December 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. myuntidydesk

Do the people at Penn State have any common sense?

December 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Chris Foster

W.T.H. CNN this article is retarded. Thanks for wasting my time with this "TRASH JOURNALISM"! Stop forcing your political agenda on every one! Its a free country, mind your Own GD Business!

December 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • somekindofmuffin

They reported that something happened and people's reactions to it. Did you actually read this article?

December 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • mesquite

If you wanted to read the news, why did you read this article and then bother to comment?

December 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Edwin

I think the real problem is that many in the majority simply have no clue whatsoever how much racism and prejudice there is, or how it affects minorities. These college women almost certainly did not intend to make a formal racist statement - they simply saw it funny to insult a particular minority. 'It was just a joke...' is the common defense.

And, yes, if this was the one instance then it would be just a joke. But hispanic people are treated like dirt in this country, so this is not just one instance - it is part of a very consistent pattern. THAT is the problem.

December 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Great post! And to elaborate this learned behavior is passed on, and on, and on so that it effects every race. When you teach hate what do you get in return? I've felt racial hate from many different races, and it was all learned at some point. What this article/writer is attempting to do is to break the cycle of hate. There are many that believe this is being blown way out of proportion, but if look at human history you know we're not trying hard enough to address the hate we've for so very long accepted as normal behavior.

December 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • You

Whites don't know what racism is? Affirmative action, special scholarships for minorities, special government contracts for minorities, special loans for minorities, charities and organizations devoted to uplifting minorities, urban economic zones to help out minority businesses, a liberal media & academic system that bashed whites at any chance they get, etc. Please, whites experience the most racism in America. Non-whites are given special privileges in every aspect of life... often times as the expense of whites.

Why is it ok to joke about the Irish, Italians, Poles, English, French and other white ethnicities but not non-white ethnicities?

December 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • lol

Simple question. Do you wish you were black or latino?

December 7, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  52. ProperVillain

I get offended every Halloween for the racist portrayals of Vampires. I am Romanian- American and it ruffles my delicate sensibilities. I'm offended that no one else gets offended. I demand and apology of anyone dressing up like a vampire and taking pictures....

December 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Clearly you are a troll, not a vampire - because your post makes no sense.

Vampire lore is a composite from many different world cultures, not just - or even primarily - Romanian culture. Yes, Dracul was from that part of the world, and some of the vampire mythology emerged from his practices, but vampires are not really a stereotype of him, let alone Romanians.

December 6, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Definite troll trying to hide his own racism through comedy.

December 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  53. robert orlick

Just college kids having fun!

December 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Linden Pike

There is already such fire aimed at Penn State, now lets put any story of their kids being dumb on the national podium. Who cares, lighten up, they are having fun, no one is getting hurt, they aren't making fun of minorities anyway, white people are the minority. How can this possibly offend you??? Grow a pair!

December 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jake Luttrell

The fact that this is even on the news is a disgrace. These girls are no more guilty of stereotyping than Warner Brothers is for their character Speedy Gonzales. This IS NOT a crisis situation. Leave these ladies alone.

December 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Try watching Speedy Gonzalez (or Gilligan's Island) again and you will see how much stereotyping goes on in it.

But there is a difference, too - Speedy is portrayed as a positive character; these women used signs to purposely indicate negative stereotypes.

December 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • somekindofmuffin

Who said it was a crisis situation, Jake? Calm down.

December 6, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • TimB

Jake – context is key. Other than one in 1980, there've been no Speedy Gonzales cartoons made since 1968. So what you're talking about are old re-runs.

Though ironically after Comedy Central, which owns the broadcast rights, announced they wouldn't air the cartoons anymore, LULAC asked them to reconsider. Yup, the civil rights organization.

December 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Scot B

Really CNN? People need to get thicker skin. Must've been a very slow day at CNN to put this up. "Sticks 'n stones" above has it right–if people want to make stupid comments and do stupid things, we don't need to hear about it. Theme & costume parties happen all the time, everywhere, and you know somebody is bound to be offended by something–the Horrors!

Wake up & get over it–they aren't representative of either ethnic group in the picture. Really, when was the last time you saw somebody in a poncho and sombrerro? I think it was Clint Eastwood in a "Fist full of Dollars". sheesh....

December 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. SFCLL

Oh, so even college kids can't have any fun now? God forbid anyone have a organized party with only fun involved without some clown throwing a race card out.. Oh Noes!! I mentioned God in my post and I support a group of kids having fun. If you look at the pic, there seem to be , Caucasians, Asians, and Hispanic students... Odd, why would all those racist "white" girls do such a thing?
    You people need to grow the hell up and get a grip on reality.. Let them have some fun while they can!

December 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mesquite

There are plenty of ways to have fun without ridiculing a group of people. This sorority should have its charter pulled.

December 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Eman

Looking for opportunities to be offended is an art-form in this country

December 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Mr.Davidson

College babes always wanna get down with the sombreros in Cabo Wabo.Looking at spring break ,Si mucho.

December 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. tateman

Shows a lot of stupidity if you ask me. I was pretty stupid at that age,

December 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Geo

Ignorance kills.

December 6, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. kent

i'm going to guess there are some future teachers who will lead our young children some day, in that picture. show it to your class some day girls. make sure you tell the little ones how to act and behave.

December 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Nicole

Wow! Rich white girls are racist? Thanks CNN, I never would have known.

December 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Senor Peppie

Why do stereotypes exist? Because they are true.

December 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

The really funny thing is that in about 30 years, the majority in this country will be hispanic not white... and boy will they have fun making little jokes at our expense. 'Stupid, shallow, greedy? But that's just a *joke*!'

But thank you for using a post to prove why these women should not have posted it - clearly you *KNOW* that it is real, not a joke. In your mind mexicans are nothing but potheads without the ability to have high-paying jobs.

December 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • mesquite

Stereotypes are true of only a few individuals, not everyone. What a bigoted thing for you to say.

December 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Locutus

When I was a youngster they told us over and over..."Sticks and stones"..you know the rest. What the hell happened to the people in this country. This country has been pussified by people who believe everyone else is responsible for someone elses happiness. Again, no one can make anyone else feel inferior without that persons consent. A whole lot of people are giving consent to let this prank affect them.

December 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Schwartz

Words hurt. I am not Hispanic but I would be deeply offended by these members
      of BFU if I were.

December 6, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Please do us a favor and get educated. If you don't understand the harmful effects of hate speech, let me teach you. Studies have shown psychological damage: (1) Minority mothers denied the significance of color in their lives, yet were morbidly sensitive to matters of race. Some identified excessively with whites, accepting whiteness as superior. ( (2)see how African American children choose their dolls; when asked they said the white doll was the better one) (3) The stresses of racial abuse lead to higher blood pressure, hypertension, and risk of stroke. Racism goes against our very principle that "all men are created equal". The fact that you just think this is funny makes me sad.

December 7, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  66. Midwestern

How about if find something real to express righteous indignation about........ Political correctness runs wild once again.

December 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Loosed

Hey, at least they weren't in the showers with minors.

December 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Locutus

Smartest post yet

December 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • carnivore3456

I would only do 53%. 47% wouldn't do me no matter what I did.

December 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Andrew Miller

seriously? I feel like people are just going out of their way to make things into a big racial deal here. get over it america. there's far bigger things that should upset you than a sorority party at penn state. Typical, mediocre "news" reporting from CNN here....

December 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Odiz

Careful CNN, your race baiting is showing

December 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  71. gimmegimmegames

That's a lot of stupid people in one picture. It's one thing if 2, 3, maybe even 4 people dressed like this in the photo. But that many? That's a well planned and racist joke if you ask me. But of course this happens up North where there isn't as many Mexican people as here in Texas. If these people did the same thing but the butt of the joke was African-Americans would people be more upset, and that's totally unfair to Mexicans. It's not like they're doing a lot of jobs for us that people don't want to take and are becoming a bigger and bigger part of our country everyday. (sarcasm)

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to act stupid and be racist on their own, but I'm more than willing to exploit their stupidity and flame them when it gets out. They just have to stop it from getting out, that's all. These people are ***holes, and guess what, people will want to treat them like the ***holes they are when they see things like this.

December 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Oscar

They cant be real Mexicans, they have no Corona and I dont see anyone smokin weed!

December 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  73. woodie

If you believe it then maybe you are offended by it. As it is, it's a joke. Jokes are things which are not true to the point of being funny. There is no reality in a joke. Unless, you believe there is a reality in this.

December 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Locutus

Well said Wooodie

December 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sergio

I dont find it offensive. I do find it sad that all these girls think Mexicans all smoke weed, drink beer and cut grass for a living. Just do a search on who the richest guy in the planet. The richest dude didnt get there mowing lawns.

December 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • wagman

I thought the richest dude on the planet was the leader of a Mexican drug cartel.

December 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • minnie

That's a completely nonsensical definition of a joke.

December 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  74. gio ruiz

I'm Mexican and Ive actually used that "i don't cut grass i smoke it" line numerous times so... yeah. plus i don't really mind this, i have a sense of humor when it comes to all stereotypes because that's all they are, just stereotypes. Chill people.

December 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • white guy

glad to know I can bash on Mexicans around you! btw, you guys really stink...that's not a joke, but just take it like one 🙂

December 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  75. jducey615

no stereotypes on Halloween people. you can only dress up as people of your race. no drinking margaritas on cinco de mayo either. cover the ground with eggshells and tread lightly, America!

December 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

You really don't get it. Stereotyping is not the problem here. Sure, the sombreros and mustaches are kind of shallow, but that's not it. The problem is the signs.

To put it in perspective: do you think it is okay to dress up on Halloween as a black man in chains, with a sign saying "Massuh lets me get candy on Halloween" ? Stereotypes are one thing - purposeful ridicule is another.

December 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  76. aaron

This is redicule. the girls looked more like panch via then any hispanic amarican I have ever seen and i grew up in New Mexico. people need to stop making things like this a big issue and focuse on true raceism. I am also guessing if these young ladys where not attractive college co eds and where a group of over weight hospital workers there would be much less negative back lash.

December 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidLevinsn

You really need to focus on proper spelling.

December 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

wow some people stupid and that's what you got on the whole situation

December 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • mesquite

I grew up in New Mexico too, and at least I can spell and speak correct English.

December 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dyana

So did I dear, and I know better than that... And yes, to answer the questions presented, New Mexico education usually ranks just between Lousiana and Mississippi. The public school I'm at is one of the few with a fail rate under 20% in town, if that gives you any perspective...

December 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Anomic Office Drone

Penn State seems like a classy joint full of classy people. .

December 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Seriously?

Completely agree with Greg Woll. People are too sensitive.

December 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naya

I bet your white what if I took a picture of my self in a blonde wig holding up a sign saying : I smoke drink and get drunk and that's high school for me

December 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • DavidLevinsn

Naya–that wouldn't bother me in the least.

December 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Locutus

It would probably not offend any white person. Why should it? Really, why should it.

December 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Olympia

I'm white and blonde, and I say: go for it!! You have just as much right to poke fun at me as I at you. People who cannot laugh at themselves are boring.

December 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Justin

Of course white people won't care if you make fun of them, they have always been at the giving end of racism in America. What true discrimination/bias/hatred have Caucasians endured compared to the other races in America? In case you are wondering I am as white as they come just not as ignorant. That's why words considered derogatory toward Caucasian people will never have the same effect as say those that are used for African-Americans or Latinos.

December 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hispanic

Justin, you ever heard of the Irish? Educate yourself before spouting racist ignorance.

December 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Reymando

Rude, and extremely stupid. They are getting a college education, but they seem to have slept through two courses :
    "How to get hired in a job after college 101", and "Common Sense 101". Idjuts.

December 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Locutus

This is called College fun. Anyone who is offended by this needs to take a pill. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Grow a pair.

December 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

Well it's offensive Mexicans get made fun of so much and this is just too much

December 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Locutus: what country do YOU live in? In the United States we make fun of mexicans all the time. We belittle them to their faces sometimes. They are treated as second class citizens all the time.

You should try living with ridicule - not occasional but commonplace - for a few decades. See if you still feel equal when the majority treat you like dirt, day after day, year after year.

December 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Locutus

Edwin my man. I live in Los Angeles and I am white. That clearly makes me a minority here. I get called white boy all the time. I am married to a mexican wife and have half mexican children. Not one of us are offended by college pranks and jokesters. My man.

December 6, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Carecare

Locutus – being white in Los Angeles must be really tough. I mean, those Mexican-Americans are so tough on the white man.
        Also marrying a Mexican and having biracial children doesn't make you an expert on historical facts of Mexican-American oppression or current events. In fact, if you were my husband I would question how you could think something like that could be funny.

December 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  80. GDI

Hoes will be hoes

December 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. bob smith

muhahahahahah this is funny and pretty much true

December 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenny G

Bob Smith? It's more like Boob Smith – you're an ass Bob.

December 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miriam

I bet if it had anything to do with you, you wouldn't like it one bit. That goes to show how mature you are.

December 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Michael_geezer

You have to ask yourself how that many supposedly intelligent women could not see that doing this was a REALLY bad idea. These are people who grew up in a digital world where the use of social media was just part of everyday life. Penn State should offer a class called "How to act like a human being."

December 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Locutus

They could not see it was a bad idea because it was not a bad idea.

December 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

It was a bad idea and there is a price to be paid.

December 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Perhaps the primary reason they didn't see how bad this idea was is because they truly believe that all mexican people fit the stereotype. They probably tell racist jokes and think they are hilarious - and defend the jokes because 'they're just jokes.'

December 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kevin Snively

Big deal.

The Mexicans who are supposed to be offended would say 'That's stupid, I don't even smoke weed'

And thats that

Wthe hell makes a big deal of this?

College prank, big freaking deal.

December 6, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naya

this is why white people are the most hated race in the world

December 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Locutus

How do you know he's white?

December 6, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vad

Interesting that you use racism to attack racism. White people are no more racist than anyone else. People will always gravitate toward people similar to them and thumb their noses at anyone else.

December 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Scot B

Oh, I thought I'd heard it was because white people are the most successful? Or was it well armed?
        Which stereotype were you pushing again? I forget already... Is there even a need to know?

December 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Observant Observer

$12,000+ dollars a year and these young ladies still have not learned that the only people it is acceptable to make fun of are white people.

Yankees... sheesh!

December 6, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • White Latino

Thirty-six percent of Latinos identify their race as white, according to the Pew Hispanic survey. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity, not a race. Mexican and Canadian are nationalities.

December 7, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Khari Brown

How do you know that the "Mexicans" would say big deal. Did you talk with the "Mexicans"?

December 7, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
      • White Latino

Mexican and Canadian are nationalities. Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. According to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white.

December 7, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  84. rosa

I like to see what would happen if these young ladies were painted black and were wearing chains and had signs that said "I don't pick cotton, I just wear it" The NAACP would have a field day on this sorority. You would have Rev. Jesse and Rev. Al and all the Reverends putting pressure on these young ladies. Were are the Latin groups standing up to this nonsense.

December 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • geeworker

did you not read the signs in the picture ???? they are to busy smoking weed to protest!!!!

December 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Let the people who run the sorority at the national level handle it. This sort of publicity does not reflect well on the sorority - I think it likely this branch will be given a warning, if not outright suspension. I think that is an appropriate punishment for advertising their intolerance.

December 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

I agree Edwin. Unfortunately when a member or small group of people who belong to an organization do something wrong or insensitive the entire organization gets shoved into public's cross-hairs. Remember the US Marine Corps "urinating on dead enemies incident?" It was a small group that did it, but the whole Marine Corps got swarmed on for it. The difference between that event and this one is that the organization will recover from this much faster than the individuals that committed the offense.

December 7, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. geeworker

are some of the girls advertizing that they would enjoy a Dirty Sanchez ???????

December 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Slim

One would expect the in-flux of "white hate" comments after viewing such an image. My only question is, are white people the only one's with hate in their hearts? Because that is how this thread (and all of society) have made them out to be. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I daresay I see at least two girls of Asian descent in this photo yet I see no comments blasting their culture as hate-infested. FACT: ALL RACES HATE. It doesn't matter what you're descent is; someone within your race has done something racially influenced to intentionally hurt someone from another race. I can't blame many of you for only targeting caucasians since the media has programmed that into your brains; I just pity you for not being able to separate what is reality and what is a part of the media sources' personal agendas.

December 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carecare

The majority of news people on tv are white so I doubt there's any secret conspiracy through the media. The roots of racism go further than well all races have the potential to hate one another. The difference is that white Americans have had a history of oppressing those with different skin colors and the after affects are still being felt for those specific racial groups.
      That being said, bashing whites or assuming commentators are white is also wrong. Ignorance is to blame and I think this should be a teaching moment for these girls.

December 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  87. john

Your all missing the point, the drive by news media needed them to confirm that there are white latino's so they paid them to have a white latino party. Grow up people the country is crashing down around us and you whine about a photo of some kids at a party.

December 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  88. dhill

Do you think the school would find it offensive if they said they were having a 'Republican' themed party and wore swastika arm bands ..... not a chance. I am offended every day I see the president who lied and demonized his way back in to office. Should he not be president because I am offended? NO. If you are alive you have to expect to be offended and deal with it. The problem are the hypocrites who spew hate speech but are the first to play victim when responded too.

December 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • coloradoDad

First... Yes, if an national organization held a republican themed party and wore swastikas (in jest) I would be offended. Its inappropriate and untrue. Not all republicans are racists or believe in white separatism. Second... President Obama didn't need to demonize any republicans. They pretty must stuffed that foot down their own throats. Yes lies were spread by both sides during the race, but if you look at the actual transcripts, quotes, voting records, etc. You'd see exactly why a majority of our Nation voted the President another four years.

December 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • dhill

Colorado Dad you must not have been paying attention. Don't worry millions of others were not either, that is why they voted for who the media told them too. Can you imagine Mitt Romney accusing Obama of murder and have the media not howled every day over it. Would that not have lead every interview with that question. Could Mitt Romney go 6 months without a press conference as president. If you are honest you will realize that the media manipulated millions of Americans and allowed the president to define Romney as something he is not.

December 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carecare

I would be offended if I saw a college organization representing Nazi ideals. I think most people agree that is pretty offensive – especially when tied to a political party.
      Additionally – If you offend me, I'll make sure its known to you. Deal with it 🙂

December 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Adam

Id let them smoke meeeee!

December 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. John

You have got to be kidding...that photo was funny! I guess if you're guilty or know of those who are, you might take offense...too bad for you..........

December 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carecare

Offending a cultural group isn't funny. How does not thinking this funny make me guilty? Guilty of what?

December 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  91. svchost

Wah! They hurt my feelings!

Get over it, babies.

December 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Carecare

I think there is often a fine line between the disrespectful and funny. I have friends that get dressed up for say Cinco de Mayo – however they don't carry around disrespectful signs or say insulting/derogatory things about Mexicans. Having a "fiesta" and serving Mexican food and even wearing sombreros is not offensive – its offensive when you have posters saying what theirs did. This photo also arises at a time when tensions are high about immigration laws and really how we treat those that are different than us. I don't think that these girls meant to cause harm to the Latino and specifically the Mexican community but that doesn't excuse ignorance in a country which is supposed to be open to cultural differences. This is supposed to be a country of great minds and an educated population – why don't we act that way? College is supposed to be a time where you think outside of yourself, where you are from, what is comfortable and learn about the world, I hope these girls take the opportunity to do that. Asides: Cultural happenings are news – please note the tabs at the topic which will take one to various new topics. If you choose to not think this is new, why did you read the article and take the time to comment? Additionally – calling someone out for inappropriate and racists comments/actions doesn't mean they are true, it means we have worked hard to correct misconceptions and clearly need to continue this work.

December 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

"harm to the Latino and specifically the Mexican community".... forget the latino/mexican community...if you're not American...who cares....and, no, you can't be both..you're either with us or not...and that is the REAL problem in America...there would be no sensitivity issues if we only were concerned about those who view themselves as Americans... The hyphenated society is a complete failure.........

December 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Carecare

John – First, how can you forget a group of people which is requested to identify itself? Second, isn't that the unique part of being American – that your family came from somewhere and made a place here, that they didn't forget where they came from?
        People do care and apparently you cared enough to comment about it as well. You can be American and still value your culture, it doesn't have to be one or the other. There would also be no "sensitivity issues" if people didn't think this was acceptable behavior. Ethnic/racial minorities have and continue to be oppressed.
        Additionally, sentences and complete thoughts are much easier to understand.

December 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  93. MNMEXICAN

I think George Bush put them up to this, it happened during his term!

December 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • carnivore3456

Bill Clinton is hidden in this photo. Can you find him?

December 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  94. ChicagoRob

unfortunate that the school deems this as a teachable moment due to it being insulting to hispanics..had these students all wore "black-face" I am sure the social reaction would be much, much greater. With most likely evey person in the picture removed from the school.

December 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • cfjermestad@aol.com

both are disgusting.

December 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Bocephus Moonshine

This is a perfect example of the kind of thing that can haunt you at future job interviews. In the information age, you've got to be smart enough that when the camera comes out, or people start posing for a picture, you step out of the room. Then, when they are done taking pictures, you come back into the room to continue the party.

The days of presuming you have any privacy at a public event are long over people.

December 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in NYC

Are you kidding???? You don't even have privacy at a PRIVATE event!!!! Just ask Prince Harry ..... or Princess Kate ..... or Mitt Romney!!!!

December 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  96. J.F.F

Is it offensive? It can be to some and others would laugh at it or not care at all. My thing is the level of consequence should be the same be it one person who's doing it or a group. I say disband the chapter have the girls apply to other sororities. Some of you may think that’s harsh but can anyone out there think of a couple of people that have been suspended from their jobs or lost them all together for making a comment that was racially derogatory? When consequences become equal across the board then maybe we'll begin to ignore the petty stuff and address true discrimination and bigotry.

December 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Tom

Thanks for taking the side of reason, Oscar. Too bad this country is wrought with people who are afflicted by white guilt and a knack for manufacturing rage over trivial issues.

December 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Brian

college kids having fun....how offensive! A complete outrage!

December 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • coloradoDad

fun and bigotry should never be one and the same. The signs are what make it inappropriate, not the dress or the party theme.

December 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  99. simply put

This is a bit more than just a group of girls doing something stupid. From Chi Omega's perspective, they are a business and they have a group within their business that is mocking an entire culture. Generally that doesn't go over well in companies. If you have been in a greek community for the last 20-30 years you would know that greek groups have been running as mini corporations to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Secondly, this is a school organization, receiving funds and under the schools rules of conduct. This would easily be grounds for disciplinary action as it involves such a large group of students (private party or not). If Chi Omega wants to stay on this campus they would be smart to clean house.

December 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • J.F.F

I agree with you on your points and I say disband the chapter, it would set the example.

December 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Debbie

Bunch of little spoiled rich brats probably taken more ectasy and smoked more weed than most Latinos have ever seen, and they want to use that BS PC thing to justify their rudeness, wow, obviously a lesson learned from the indulgent parents.

December 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |