Penn State sorority sisters denigrate Mexicans in party photo
Penn State's Chi Omega chapter apologized for this photo that was posted on Tumblr.
December 5th, 2012

Penn State sorority sisters denigrate Mexicans in party photo

By Moni Basu, CNN

(CNN) – Penn State has had its share of controversy for a while, but this week it is getting some more unwanted attention.

The university's Chi Omega sorority chapter is under investigation after a photo with Mexican stereotypes surfaced on a social media site.

It shows a group of sorority members dressed in ponchos and sombreros and wearing fake mustaches. One woman holds a sign that says: "Will mow lawn for weed + beer." Another sign says: "I don't cut grass. I smoke it."

The photograph was taken at a Mexican-themed party around Halloween, according to the independent college blog, Onward State. It was posted last week on Tumblr.

The university's Panhellenic Council said it had received concerns about the photo and that the council does not condone derogatory behavior from members.

"The Penn State Panhellenic Council recognizes the offensive nature of the photo and is therefore taking the matter very seriously," the executive board said in a statement.

"We are addressing the situation immediately with the members of the chapter in conjunction with their national headquarters," it said. "Our council and all its members strive to hold ourselves to a high standard and are disappointed by any failure to meet these expectations."

Jessica Riccardi, president of the Chi Omega chapter at Penn State, released an apology to The Daily Collegian newspaper.

“Our chapter of Chi Omega sincerely apologizes for portraying inappropriate and untrue stereotypes," she said. "The picture in question does not support any of Chi Omega’s values or reflect what the organization aspires to be."

The connections to the sorority were discovered through members' names tagged on Facebook, Onward State said. The posts have since been taken down.

Penn State public relations director Lisa Powers said that university officials have had conversations with Chi Omega members and that the women have expressed "deep remorse."

"The students in the photo are within their First Amendment rights to express themselves in this way, although we are certainly appalled that they would display this level of insensitivity and lack of judgment," Powers said.

"Because the right of free expression is guaranteed under the Constitution for both behaviors we disagree with or for those that we support we are approaching this as a teachable moment to engage this group of young women in discussions about their actions and to further educate them about diversity issues," she said.

Powers said the national leadership of Chi Omega will have to decide if disciplinary action is warranted.

A statement from Chi Omega headquarters said, "Personal degradation has no place in our organization, even if such behavior is meant facetiously or in jest. The Chi Omega national organization is taking this situation very seriously and is being thoughtful and deliberate regarding any sanctions or educational directives for the chapter."

At least one student at Penn State demanded a direct apology from Chi Omega to all Latinos.

"This is not a joke. This is our culture," said Ariel Coronel, president of the Penn State Latino Caucus.

She was shocked when she first saw the photo and said the signs the women were holding were especially offensive.

"There's a huge drug war going on in Mexico and you have a sign that says, 'We will mow lawns for weed and beer,' " Coronel said. "It's wrong on so many levels. How can you think this is OK?"

The reactions to the incident varied on Twitter. Here are two:

Posted by
Filed under: Ethnicity • Latino in America • Race • What we think
soundoff (2,140 Responses)
  1. Wasted money on stupid girls

Now we know who the die hard Sandusky supporters were even after it was more than obvious he was raping little boys.

December 6, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. chemistry

yeah! shiny happy people :) such brilliant young minds! Best college education !

December 6, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. irobot

yes, keep it up rising stars! we are so proud of your achievements!!

December 6, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cellstrom

Hmm, I'm gonna guess all raised by Republicans to be Republicans. It is just sad that we have decided in our culture due to the Limbaughs of the world that it is ok to just denigrate anyone. Hate to tell these narrow minded ignorant women but those Hispanics will be their bosses soon enough, and, will damn sure vote to keep the girl's ignorance out of power. Bye ladies, hope you find husbands, cause you are clearly not getting an education to take care of yourselves. Ignorant.

December 6, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • EL MEXICANO

I AM NOT HISPANIC!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM MEXICAN!!!!!! HISPANIC IS OFFENSIVE!!!

December 6, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
      • White Latino

Mexican and Canadian are nationalities. Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. According to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white.

December 6, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

"those Hispanics will be their bosses soon enough"

Yeah right, I don't think their going to college to learn how to cut grass or clean houses.

December 6, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
      • Pat

*they're

December 6, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
      • Alex

When will you propose to one of these college girls? How did this last election go for you? That's what I figured

December 6, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Brilliant, simply brilliant response to these little ignorant damsels in cranial distress

December 6, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jack Young

have fun paying off those college loan..looks like you guys are all set for fantastic jobs with this mindset :)

December 6, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. Drew

People need to stop being so sensitive. I am Mexican and I laughed when I saw this photo. They are not being racist as some of you say. I guess a mexican would be considered racist if they dressed up like a barbie..

December 6, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • EL MEXICANO

RIGHT ON CACHETON!!!

December 6, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. wilbur rouse

Not even higher education can eradicate intolerance!

December 6, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Al

They learn it from their parents.

December 6, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. littlebabyJesus

So, if they hadn't had signs, would this still be an issue?

December 6, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • bringiton1

The signs insinuate " a Mexican , or any Mexican is a laborer or gardener " which is far from being the case. It adds fuel to the ignorance that exists. Nothing more nothing less.

December 6, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

I think the real lesson here is to keep the cameras put away at parties and don't put stuff on social media sites you don't want other people seeing...

December 6, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Dr Tom

Not gonna happen. From now on always assume you're on camera.

December 6, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Columbo

Yeah, that would solve it (sarcasm). Hidden racism is better that when it is displayed overtly, right?

December 6, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mr. Trejo

for the Mexican guy...is noted that you don't know rural Mexico...yes we still have places that we still dress like that because we're farmers or sheep care givers... and it is ofensive also to mention the "word Latino" at first we ain't Latinos we either are mexicans, argentinians etc.. in this case is focus in Mexico... and yes you all can agree what a country of we have here in USA..

December 6, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • thexan

Is it really offensive to use "Latino"?
      Also, do you really expect the average American to distinguish between Mexican and Argentinian? Can you distinguish between Austrian and German, or Kenyan and Tanzanian?

December 6, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
      • Fran

No, I am Latina and I don't consider "Latino" to be offensive, I think some people just don't like to be mixed in with other natinalities, personally, I think they have issues... but I'm okay with the term. As for the posting, I have no issues with the girls dressing as Mexican farmers, however the posters are offensive.

December 6, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. bobabaloo

as long as you can keep those hard earned tax dollars, cause everyone knows you buying a new flat screen tv is much more important than dying babies on the streets.

December 6, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

Is that what they teach you at Sarah Lawrence?

December 6, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Juan Luna

This is the CNN message boards, so you're not going to find the brightest bulbs here.

December 6, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

Is that what they teach you at Sarah Lawrence?

December 6, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. jason

how many people commenting are Mexican??? my wife is mexican and she thought it was funny...they joke about these stereotypes in Mexico...the only people offended are idiot americans that are offended by everything...we always gotta be soooo politically correct...what a joke...i've traveled all over the world and believe me, other coultries aren't so politically correct when talking about americans!!!!!!!

December 6, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

spot on

December 6, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • JOSE

I 100 % agree..... as a Latino i saw this only as a funny HALLOWEEN picture...... these politically correct ACLU liberals need to get a life......i am now wondering if this is why Speedy Gonzalez is never on TV anymore....... hummm....

December 6, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Brock

Best post I've read in a while

December 6, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  16. Stephen

The use of the word "OUTRAGE" is overblown. People should be outraged at the atrocities in Syria or outraged that we cant fix our economy. NOT outraged at college kids doing what college kids do

December 6, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  17. MontanaTrace

Harmless, with no intent to denigrate Mexicans. The signs weren't necessary but as others have noted, Cheech and Chong have made fortunes making the world laugh at their caricatures of Mexicans smoking weed. Mostly the media and the real bigots are the first to shout, "racists!"

December 6, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. cgs

Get over it. No one would care if they all donned habits for a nun party.

December 6, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Concerned

How can it be stereo typing if everyone knows the things they put on the signs are not true? Apparently everyone commenting knows the things that wrote were not true. Even they knew it. It was just a little twist one humor. I live in Chihuahua< Mexico and tell red neck jokes to Mexicans here all the time. They think they are funny and so do I. I am white and speak Spanish and my wife is Mexican. They even tell me jokes about Mexicans. They are just like Americans and other people around the world. They also make cultural jokes here. Many about blacks. Welcome to the world. Mexicans make jokes about other Latin countries. They just do not make it on CNN. Come to a celebration here in Mexico. Someone said they do not dress like that. Well come to a celebration here and you will see them dressing just like that. Even more so. I bought a the same sombrero and top just like that here in Mexico. It is CNN that is making this into a problem and wanting to divide the country. Mexican people here joke about the new long toed Mexican cowboy boots. They are exaggerated to beyond belief. They make funny statements about them. So do I. They do not get offended. By the way. My wife laughed after I told her what the signs said. She does not speak English. She knew it was a joke.

December 6, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • jt88

I think the issue here is context. I'm sure you don't mean to offend, but you're telling these jokes about your race to acquaintances. Try telling a joke about a different race at a corporate event to a room full of complete *strangers*. People you've never met. They don't know you or your intentions. They don't know if you're being callous or facetious. Just because your wife laughs at your jokes, doesn't mean the stranger at the bus stop will.

December 6, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Concerned

Exactly. This was not meant to go before the world on CNN. It was a private party and some silly jokes. It was not meant to get outside the party. CNN should not have published it.

Like the guy on the street corner that has a sign that says will work for beer. It is funny, but it is true. So maybe it does a ply to someone out there. Everyone that has a brain knows that all Mexicans do not smoke weed, and neither do all Americans. But many do. Just a funny play on words.

I live in Mexico and it is easier to find weed for sale here then in the USA. It is legal to smoke it here as well as use drugs. The USA has not caught up yet. They were inside jokes that should have not gotten any further then the front door.

December 6, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Concerned

It looks like they all participated. So it was not supposed to be on CNN. Many ethnicities in that group. I think I do see a couple of Latina's in there also.

December 6, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • jt88

I agree with you this was a private matter, but the problem (or mistake, depending on your point of view) is that they posted on the internet – a very public forum. I'm with you about being able to joke about ourselves. I posted elsewhere admitting to my own digressions, butI keep it private amongst people I know very well. In fact, I don't mind how they dressed up. What's offensive are the signs. And not knowing these individuals, it's impossible to know their true intentions, other than to err on the side of maliciousness due to the negative content of the signs.

December 6, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. SRLinMD

This is sanctimony Defined! Get over it. Political correctness between the Latin American countries themselves doesn't exist.

December 6, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  21. johnny57

I can not believe this. Who really cares? If something comes of this, it will tell me that we are heading down the wrong path. The signs say something about grass and beer. At least it did not say something about heroin and whiskey. This is really petty. These are college kids. Back off CNN!!

December 6, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kevin

Everyone needs to chill out. We should be able to poke fun at everyone including ourselves and laugh at it.
    Look's like there are women of many races participating in this event and having fun too. I'd like to drink a tecate with them.

December 6, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. Darnell

I guess they should be arrested then!

December 6, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  24. Deb

That's what the college kids do...smoke weed!!! Wake up! It's no wonder that other countries are surpassing us. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

December 6, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael Means

Uh...weed is not the issue?

December 6, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • kksj33

Their speech is not what's at stake. They can say whatever they want and the article points that out. The KKK can say whatever they want. What's happening is that we as a civil society don't agree what they're saying. Plus, the first amendment has nothing to do with this as it relates to the federal government. Go back to school.

December 6, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Deb (insulted for no reason!)

All I am saying is that they aren't hurting anyone with their themed college party. RELAX! I would love to go back to school but can't afford to. I need to stay at my current job and raise my 3 wonderfully smart children the best I can.

December 6, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Mr. F

Dumbest thing I have heard in a while. Comparing sorority girls in sombreros to the KKK.

You do not speak for all of society; some of us either don't care or have a sense of humor about silliness like this. This is not terrorizing, spreading hate speech, or murdering people. Its playing stereotype dress up. Why someone would post it online, however, is beyond me.

December 6, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  25. William Holder

Shameful, disrespectful, ugly! Why do we keep churning out bigots! not even higher education can eradicate intolerance!

December 6, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. Phil

Lets see cheech and chong make a full blown career from doing this, now the world is outraged by this. People should be more concerned about the thinness of skin, not the color of it.

December 6, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. ModernMan

Oh here we go again... the ultra-sensitive media hype. This is a funny picture. They are having fun. It pokes fun at a stereotype... so what? If we can't laugh at ourselves and the crazy ways in which people are charicatured, then we are surely on our way out as a society.

December 6, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  28. Brock

Eh, who cares...these themed parties have been happening for 50 years. Just because someone posts a picture on the internet now it is a big deal? People who went to school before the world of Facebook should be happy. And for once I wish someone like Chi Omega would just tell people to "shove it" when they complained instead of apologizing.

December 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  29. giggity

this is free speech whether we like it or not

December 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

That is correct. People are also practicing their right of free speech in calling this sorority's behavior idiotic. Do you have a problem with that?

December 6, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Dennis

No, feel free to say it is idiotic all you want. Just don't say what they did was illegal or SHOULD be punished under university, sorority, or government law.

December 6, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  30. MNfree

God forbid if there were a whole bunch of Mexican girls that had viking helmets and blonde beards smiling for a picture, holding a sign saying, "Pillaging for Pilsner." You'd probably have to blur the picture out I'd be soooo offended.

December 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • EL MEXICANO

I dress like white people everyday.....when I go to work.

December 6, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  31. rockysfan

Penn State just can't help hoof 'n mouth disease now can they?! First they allow Sandusky to peddle little kids, then they are outraged when their inglorius "Pa" is removed from campus and now this? What kind of people go to this campus? Please, let me know so I can avoid these pukes!

December 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  32. Barbara Starr

this is disgusting, is this the state of our higher education? Nation of bigots!

December 6, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  33. Tom

Umm. They are a group of college girls that had a halloween party and all coordinated to be dressed like stereotypical mexicans. There may be a handful of people that dont like this but who really gives a crap! At least now they have all learned a valuable lesson that American Culture is too uptight and this seemingly innocent act can have reprocussions. So they are learning how not to behaive when they get into the workforce. Better now than when they are CEO's or Program managers for our country's companies.

December 6, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • btldriver

Don't many Americans dess up and act like Mexicans every May 5th? I'm sure there are many stupid things done on that day and we don't here anything about it.

December 6, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  34. Margoh

Why should I send my kid to this University?

December 6, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  35. katincal

If my daughter was in this picture she sure wouldn't be in this sorority much longer – possibly not even in this school. She'd be going to school very close to home and experiencing a significant emotion event herself!

December 6, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  36. Neil Foster

Is this what our young to be leaders are learning as part of their higher learning?

December 6, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  37. Janath McKee

I had relatives on the Mayflower. Members of my family have fought for America in every war since the American Revolution. I am not Latino, not Hispanic, and I have no friends or family members who are. But that photo offended me!! I am shocked and disappointed in these young women and those who rush to their defense. We are Americans–we should be better than that!!

December 6, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • gecko

If this offended you, how do you make it through a day?

December 6, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • ted

one of the things your releatives fought for was freedom of speech so its not all bad.

December 6, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  38. Steve in Northern NJ

Come on people.... It was a party and they were goofing around. The assertion that it was "wrong on so many levels" was EXACTLY the point. If this is the biggest concern that these organizations have, then they lead a pretty good life. Get over it folks.

December 6, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  39. csi5521

I don't find the photo offensive. Who in their life, at one point or another, hasn't attended a themed party? I think this was done all in fun, and without malicious intent. However, as a sorority member myself (not of this particular sorority) you are held to high standards and are expected to represent the sorority in a positive light at all times. I just see this as maybe poor judgement. It is no different than being in the workforce. I work in law enforcement and certain professions expect you to represent them in a positive light, whether you are on the job or off duty. It boils down to life decisions. Sometimes the choices you make (although perceived as being harmless), have great consequences. I hope this will be a lesson to these young ladies, and I pray they do not face harsh disciplinary action(s) for something that I am sure was harmless fun.

December 6, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  40. kennyzales

This would be a non-issue if it hadn't happened at the school everyone loves to hate: Penn State. Just like a rabid dog, the media just loves to attack anything or anyone when they're down. I can't wait for for some conspiratorial incident to happen at CNN so the other media outlets can rip it to shreds.

December 6, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  41. Nick

Pay attention folks, this right here is the next generation. A bunch of Kanye West listening, low performing idiots!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

December 6, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. Devon Strickland

what a waste of college money is this the best Penn St. can do?

December 6, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  43. bigrigknowhow

Wow!!! To all of the People who see nothing WRONG with this and seem to have a hard time understanding if this is offensive, here is a very easy test for you to gain perspective: Imagine yourself and your friends posing for this picture
    in front of, lets say, several Mexican Families with their Mothers, Daughters, Sons, Fathers,Husbands Cousins, etc watching everyone pose for this great party picture. If you wouldn't feel uncomfortable taking the picture, then you're RIGHT, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you think you would feel uncomfortable, then maybe you should evaluate why you would feel uncomfortable.,,, African American Male...

December 6, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  44. DeeCee10000

Must be hell attending a school known for molesting kids.

December 6, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  45. NeoGraphix

The bigger picture is how social media is showing it's dark side and people are searching for it and reporting it. It's another example of how social media is able to cause uproar over a photo or a statement. This was posted on Tumblr. The video about Muslims on YouTube, the countless number of bad twitter statements, the list will continue. How American's think and what they do used to be confined in small circles. Now the whole world is getting a glimpse on just how disfunctional American people can really be. This type of behavior is not new, it's just new to the general public.

December 6, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  46. kt

If you don't understand why it's not okay to make fun of people who are less fortunate then you, you're a jerk and I feel sorry for decent people who have to be around you.

December 6, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  47. Michael Mason

so exciting, these young ladies are already ready to lead and have not even graduated yet :) Penn St. produces such quality students.

December 6, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  48. B

At a young age I was taught, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." This helped me to rise above the mental level of anyone making fun of me, for whatever reason. It's part of life.
    I was also taught that sometimes the truth hurts.
    If those girls want to show their immaturity and bigotry, fine, that's their right.
    If the Hispanic population, ever so proud of their culture, doesn't want to allow the infamous drug cartels and their drug empires to be a dominant stereotype in their society, then they should concern themselves with doing something about it instead of crying foul whenever they feel they have been "offended" by something that has a large amount of truth to it.

Coronel said. "It's wrong on so many levels. How can you think this is OK?"

If Coronel had as much passion to do something about the drug cartels as she does with complaining about what other people say about her race, maybe the Hispanic community would have a different stereotype.

December 6, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • NeoGraphix

I think you need to read more about how the Mexican people are dealing with the cartels. They are trying to change what is going on but it's very difficult when you, your family and your friends are decapitated and left on the side of a road if you cause the cartel any type of resistance in what they are doing. Read about the reporter just recently murdered for reporting about the cartel. That might give you a bit more insight on how hard it is down in Mexico. Plus there is a video on YouTube that shows the public execution of a police chief and his wife in a jewelry store where 4 people are murdered in the middle of the day while shopping for a gift. Watch that and then repost.

December 6, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • bigdumbdinosaur

Mexican isn't a race.

December 6, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  49. DeeCee10000

Romney should invite them to provide the entertainment at his next secret meeting with his millionaire buddies where he likes to talk trash about "the 47%".

December 6, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • kt

I saw the same connection. American exceptionalism = treat others with disrespect to make yourself feel important

December 6, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  50. JR Ledesma

Its pretty easy to make fun of a culture when you yourself don't have one. I mean, what is a American Culture? It is a bunch of borrowed cultural attributes from other cultures. It would be too boring to walk in as.?????? That's right we really have no true representation of American culture, unless you consider racism, shooting sprees, corporate greed, reality TV and ignorance as culture. But what can we expect, from a bunch of soriority girls at Penn State.

December 6, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  51. Robin Smith

Impressive display higher education can do wonders whats next on your bigot list?

December 6, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  52. DeeCee10000

They could always apply to work for the next GOP candidate. lol

December 6, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  53. GEORGE M

Well, as of this moment, they're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!

December 6, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  54. Sam White

good job! I can see you guys have learned a lot at Penn St.best education in USA guranteed !!

December 6, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  55. Robert

Will they put this on their college resume?

December 6, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  56. Sarah Logan

So proud of our young students such open minds I am sure they will graduate and lead our nation to great heights :)

December 6, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  57. Oh yes!

I'm Dominican, and I'm highly offended that we were not represented. Mexican preference has to stop!

December 6, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  58. Vault Boy

I think brick and mortar universities are walking advertisements for online education. All they seem to be now are houses of ill repute. If you want a prestige degree, most universities offer degrees online, including Harvard. If I was a parent of a college age child, I would be hesitant to send them to Animal House.

December 6, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  59. Kevin Joseph

If the PC idiots have their way these girls would be sent to a re-education camp. Get over it morons, it was a joke.

December 6, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  60. Rick

It's hilarious in my opinion. Don't see any harm whatsoever.

December 6, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Vault Boy

Let me guess.... Republican much?

December 6, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Your Neighbor

Ever notice how liberals have successfully turned the word "republican" into a bad word?

This whole chain is about stereotyping and here is a liberal stereotyping and telling themselves "it's OK if I do it"

It's either all OK, or all bad. Personally I think we need thicker skin as a nation so fire away liberal people. Maybe copying and pasting your comments back to you will help you see your hypocrisy.

December 6, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  61. Bob Hunkins

Bigots the finest education! Higher the education higher the bigots

December 6, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  62. AGeek

Ah yes, at once we see an excellent demonstration of the fine qualities developed by the "Greek Culture" in colleges *and* we see how ridiculously politically correct this country has become. Was it lame? Certainly. Poor taste? Absolutely. An outrage? Get over yourselves.

December 6, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  63. Cathy Winningham

wow college education is really advancing our minds :) so much progress I can hardly wait to see them graduate!

December 6, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

They could apply to work for the KKK.

December 6, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  64. Ed Martinez

am a Amercian from Mexican decent. I did not take insult to the picture.Silly white girls, I think this nation is a little to sensative.

December 6, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • YeahNotSoMuch

Thanks Ed for saying that. I agree...there is nothing illegal, just a bunch of stupid kids being stupid kids. Their interactions with people will be based on their opinions of others....or this could just be a joke; I watch worse on Family Guy every week. Nothing illegal, no rights were threatened....this is none of my business...

December 6, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Actually, you did take offense to it because you retaliated by calling them "Silly White girls" Which they are.:-)

December 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  65. steve smith

how lovely :) money well spent on a great college education at Penn St. What a waste!

December 6, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  66. citizenUSA

Hey, we need to get onto Jimmy Fallon for those Capital One commercials. In one of them he wears an apron, holds dough, wears a fake moustache and talks with an Italian accent. What?! Does he think all Italians are pizza makers? No, he just realizes that the general population relates that activity to Italians. We of course know Mexicans don't walk around in the U. S. wearing the type of clothing the girls are wearing in the picture, but isn't it true that many landscapers/gardeners are of Mexican decent? Is there any shame in that? Is it really racist to acknowledge it? Isn't Basketball a sport dominated by black Americans? I don't think many believe the girls were trying to say Mexicans will mow your yard for weed and beer. I promise you they won't. Actually, I really don't undersatnd the use of the Mexican garb anymore than that gardening/landscaping is a popular profession with Mexicans. What was the reason for the picture in the first place? I don't see anything in the article that says why. They could have worn overalls and offended farmers. They did not think this through well enough. There are other types of "landscaper" uniforms that I think we'd all recognize so the same point could have been made without any reference to Mexicans. If they just want weed and beer, get naked!

December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

Nah. I just think they're all really p o'd that their parents made them attend a school known for molesting kids.

December 6, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
      • citizenUSA

Sorry, DeeCee10000.

December 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomtatomtom

Maybe the truest & best comment I have ever read on the internet

December 6, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  67. Samantha Richards

College education at its best!!

December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  68. Jose Marquez

Born in ciudad Juarez, yes, that makes me a bona fide Mexican and an expert in these sort of things....

Lighten up Francis. I find the picture funny.

December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  69. James PDX

Name a Mexican comedian who doesn't use racial stereotypes in their humor?

December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  70. Your Neighbor

Wow...Your post may have won the prize for most shameful and ignorant.

Top 5 easy.

December 6, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  71. Concerned

Anyone heard all the redneck jokes and stereo types. They are funny. How about the people from India. How about blondes. I guess when something is true it hits home more then anything, and comedians use that for laughter. How about the comic that uses a dummy that is a Muslim terrorist to crack jokes. Has anyone seen that. It is funny and it does not mean that everyone thinks that all Muslims are terrorists. Why is CNN not all over that comedian. He even says the kill word in his diatribe. If they had dressed has hillbillies and had some funny placards it would have not stirred up anything controversial of made CNN. If they showed some white hippies and and the signs read the exact same thing would it be a big deal. After all their are girls that are of other ethnicity in that group. So in reality because of their diverse range of color in that group they could not say anything funny about anyone I guess. Come on, I don't cut grass I smoke it. Now put long hair on them and pretend they are long haired Americans. Would that have made CNN.

December 6, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

They are white. They can't say anything degrading without major retribution. This country has become so PC and us white people are forced to baby everyone now. They made a joke! Get over it! There are Mexicans at Lowe's looking to mow your lawn. That is why so many people make a joke about it. If it wasn't a something that Mexicans do then people would never say it. You don't say a Mexican should join the Black Panthers. That doesn't make sense. You don't wear a doo rag and say you are dressed like you are Chinese. You dress as another race because that is not your race. A black man can't go as a black man for Halloween. He could go as an African because that is not who he is though. Stereotyping is not wrong. It is wrong to HATE a race because you believe the stereotype is more true than false. I heard a black comedian one day on You Tube. He said "White people make fun of us and say that we eat fried chicken and watermelon. Who the hell doesn't like fried chicken and watermelon?"

December 6, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  72. scoobs

you guys are aware that is not the least bit illegal to make fun of anyone you want in this country right? you guys are also aware that is perfectly ok to even HATE a certain person or group, if that is your pleasure. not saying that they are doing any of that, but if they were, in this country, we have something called freedom and we like the way it works.

December 6, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

But then what would soccer moms do if they weren't being offended by things all day???

December 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Robert H. White Jr. II

Penn State is falling at its seams. Is this what Higher education teaches us intolerance and mockery? Shameful and disgusting!

December 6, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Wow not even close. It's being heavily scrutinized after the scandal but really isn't any different than any other college today. Calm down there...the world is still moving on just fine.

December 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  74. DeeCee10000

Shut 'er down. Time to shut Penn State down and start over again.

December 6, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • kennyzales

I would like to see your advice applied to Congress.

December 6, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  75. James PDX

Maybe they just got done watching a Cheech & Chong movie. Cheech and Chong are very racist toward Mexicans.

December 6, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  76. JustMy2Cents

They are not mocking Latinos, they are mocking Mexicans!!!! probably the fact that CNN can't tell the difference is more insulting

December 6, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Then you seriously need a sense of humor and to lighten up. They weren't directing this at you so it's ok. You'll survive I'm sure...

December 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  77. GEORGE M

If you think wearing a sombrero and a poncho is an insult to a culture, then you are racist.
    I'm Mexican. I don't own a sombrero and my poncho is plastic. Get a life this is not what Mexicans look like, and why would any Mexican be offended by some silly girls dressing up like this, it means nothing.
    Sounds to me more like a bunch of people who didn't have a good time in college and don't want anyone else to do so.

December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • MacAttack70

College kids being college kids! Big deal! Let them have fun and joke around. Those girls got my attention! :)

December 6, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • marsilius

I don't believe you're Mexican. A Mexican would have noticed the racist signs.

December 6, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Jim

No a mexican would have understand that the jokes were just as absurd as their outfit and laughed at the fact that these girls were just being silly and stupid. Which is their right.

December 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Bill

QQ moar.

Seriously, QQ moar.

We need to get over ourselves and our political correctness.

December 6, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  79. DCinDFW

As a Hispanic, the only thing that MIGHT bother me are the signs... otherwise, leave them alone. We've got bigger fish to fry in this country than a silly photo of girls having fun... and comparing this to black-face is utterly insane. They're sorry, they apologized, they won't do it again.. Let's not crucify them.

December 6, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  80. Tom

CNN you are joke, you write about a bunch girls dressing up for Halloween yet I never see as much outrage when Middle Easterns burn our flag. That should cause outrage, not a joke for Halloween. And if "mowing your grass for weed and beer" is your culture, I suggest you don't brag about it. Please write about real news, like protesters storming Morsi's Palace.

December 6, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  81. Bill

Wait a second, if George Zimmerman is white then these girls are just being themselves.

December 6, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff T

hahahaha, that was the funniest thing I've read online in a few days, I'm mad you just made me get coffee all over my keyboard.

It's true tho, ppl who make fun of these "white" girls are doing so with racial motivations which is no different than if these "white" girls were mocking an ethnic group.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  82. J. F.

It is time for nerdowell politicly correct over sensitive critics out there to get some sort of personality and back bone. Maybe get a job or do something in life that adds value. Just enjoy life and smile, and if you don't like someone joke just move on. Peace

December 6, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  83. James PDX

I'm sorry, but stereotypes are funny. If we were to remove them, there wouldn't be very much humor left, especially for stand-up comedians. I hope you intolerant people like knock knock jokes.

December 6, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • J. F.

And there goes another idiot. Intolerance goes both ways. Being called a racist because you use stereotype in a joke is intolerant.

December 6, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • DeeCeeDramaGirl

Actually, this is what George CARLIN called, " ... the pussification of America."
      But I agree with you (and George).

December 6, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  84. DMG2FUN

If this is so racist, then why do Mecian companies make these items for sell?

December 6, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

Mexican companies sell racist signs about Mexicans? I did not know that.

December 6, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Emily

PRETTY sure those hats were made in China. Just saying.

December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  85. Tina

They are PROMOTING smokin' pot, not siding with the cops doing all the killing in Mexico!! Jeesh! That woman at the end of the article must be stupiid or have a screw loose. Or, both. Imagine all the money that people like her have sent down to Mexico and helped countless families to improve their quality of life as well as the Country's economy, overall.

If these ladies were supporting all the violence and killing done by the Police down there in Mexico, as well as the DEA, etc...then, it would be understandable why that stupiid lady at the end is whinning. But, they clearly are NOT. She really has no clue does she. If those people were siding with the Police, that are the originators of all of the violence, especially over a Godmade herb then it would make more sense her stance. THAT would be insensitive to all the people who are dying.

"We've got enough bombs, guns, and weapons to destroy the World 500 times over...how in the world can a PLANT be illegal?"

December 6, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  86. Juan

Ladies, Come to Cancun on your next Spring Break!

December 6, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  87. Brenton

Where did they get those hats, mustaches and Mexican garments... the racism store? Come on, nothing wrong here except for the fact that most of these girls are probably bubbly idiots. Colleges need these girls to pay full tuition anyways, and they can go live with their parents after they graduate and dont have a job because they refuse to cut grass, the only job offered to them. But racist?... Shame on the editor of this for crying wolf on this facebook picture. I'm sure you could have found worse facebook pictures to write about at any school.

December 6, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  88. Bob

Get a life PEOPLE. This was a college party that meant nothing after the night was over. People had a few laughs, some fun at a private function. So the photo was put on the web. Who cares and what does this have to do with the worlds problems. If you want to have a real party, party, have every one dress up as Obama and see how many people get upset at that

December 6, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  89. kikid26

Do people really think that Latinos, Asians, Blacks, etc, don't make fun of whites too?? I'm sure there are just as many racist comments against whites, but I guess the media is ok with that and white people just have to suck it up. Enough of being overly PC, it's absurd. You would think they dragged someone through the streets and beat them.

December 6, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Well, there's a big difference if white people make fun of people of color vs. people of color making fun of whites.
      I think we can agree in society that whites are at the top of the hierarchy (just look at professional jobs - who's your doctor, who's your professor, your dentist?) I'm pretty confident that those answers are "white people."
      And when whites, the dominant group, "jokingly" make fun of a subordinate group, it perpetuates the oppression of the subordinate group - all the while thinking "it's ok."

December 6, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  90. Chris

To be honest, I'm glad this made national news. There are too many people who are ignorant to racism or are "tired of it." But you know what, racism is a topic that SHOULD be discussed; it affects EVERYONE. Even if you say, "I'm not racist" or that "race doesn't happen to me," that doesn't mean you have prejudices or that you practice *covert* racism. And to those who race doesn't happen to them, honey, you should take another look at the world through a different analytical lens.
    Re Chi Omega: Themed parties using racial themes happen all over the US on college campuses, unfortunately. (We had this issue and other racial issues on my college campus, as well).
    And through this, being "comical" Mexican/Latino or Native American costumes for Halloween (or other reasons) is normalized. "Nothing is wrong," or "it was only meant as a joke" don't work for this case. If anything, the costumes are misrepresenting racial and ethnic populations.
    And especially shame on the students of color in the photo for participating in this event. People of color are being systematically and personally oppressed, and you have the courage and ignorance to perpetuate the oppression?
    I think this country needs an eye opener about racism; it still exists, and more people need to acknowledge that.

December 6, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Russ

This isn't a racism issue, it's a group of college students having a little fun. The over-hyped sensitivity about racism in this country is ridiculous. Get over it, have a laugh or two, and enjoy it! Enough of the politically correct BS already. This is a non-issue.

December 6, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  91. Eric

This is NOT an issue. People should lighten up and not be so easily offended. Research suggests it will lengthen your life. I bet the party was a fiesta grande!

December 6, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • HN

Without the sign, there is nothing is offensive. Mexican comics make a living making fun of that stereo type, as you lighten up this is not news worthy.

December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  92. Shawnta

WOW, this is dumb. There are more important things that are going on in the world right now. This school really needs to stay out of the news. Pretty soon you will not have any students going there or empolyers taking anyone serious for attending such a school. Get it together...

December 6, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  93. DeeCee10000

I guess we should expect stupidity coming from people who attend a school known for molesting kids. Or maybe they're just angry that their parents made them attend a school known for ra ping kids.

December 6, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • stainned

Are you really that shallow? Mom tell you how special you are today?

December 6, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  94. chris

i would say, didn't anyone here think, "you know, maybe this photo is sort of a bad idea?", but then again, asking a group of teen girls to not conform is probably asking too much.

December 6, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  95. steve

Wow-hard hitting news (not) Why don't you post a story about the Washington Redskins they have a mascot that dresses as an Indian.

December 6, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • chris

many do not consider the mascot offensive but rather honorary. like FL state seminoles or whatever.
      a bunch of teenage sorority girls.... mmm, not so much. this pic is just south of black-face.

December 6, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  96. Robert

I never saw anywhere in the picture that they are "mocking" Mexicans, CNN's words, not mine.

They are having a costume Party, yes, like many costume parties, and it is right after Halloween.

Just because people dress up like the Tooth Fairy, on Halloween, doesn't mean they're mocking the Tooth Fairy. Just because they dress up like a Demon, with blood dripping down the front of their shirt, doesn't mean they support or advocate hanging out with demons. I have been to parties where they all dress up in Togas, that doesn't mean in any way that we were mocking Greeks!@

December 6, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • jt88

Read the article. The signs they're holding are offensive.

December 6, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Mark

So if they had a dress up like your favorite murder would, everyone think that they are murders? get real people!!! I agree that the picture should not have been posted with the signs. But if the picture wasn't posted would it have ever been an issue? I think not. So how many other people are now going to have mexican parties to mock CNN and the Huffington Post for posting this. The issue will now go viral and become more offensive to Mexicans rather than letting it die.

December 6, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • panger

Robert, it has nothing to do with the costumes and everything to do with the messages on the signs. Get it?

December 6, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • marsilius

How can you seriously contend the signs about recreational drug use do not call to mind extremely negative (and very largely false) stereotypes about Mexicans? That is mockery. And by the way, it is ancient Roman men who are stereotyped as wearing togas, not ancient "Greeks." That stereotype isn't nearly as negative as the recreational drug use stereotype called to mind here against Mexicans is, anyway (the stereotype of Roman men wearing togas probably isn't negative at all). And ancient Romans are history anyway, while Mexicans still flourish, and happeen to do a lot of work for this country.

December 6, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  97. Beligio

Penn State certainly has much to be proud of this year! What exemplary people they crank out – we should all be honoring them as role models.

December 6, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  98. AG

It's certainly nice to see all the people ranting and raving against making sweeping, derogatory comments about a diverse group of people ... and then making sweeping, derogatory comments about everyone associated with Penn State. Pot, meet kettle.

December 6, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  99. CeeThoughts

Your lack of understanding is unfortunate

December 6, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  100. Ryan

Really? You don't see many Irish complain when the majority of the world gets drunk and claims to be Irish every St. Patrick's Day every year...because frankly us Irish can laugh at ourselves and the drunk fools who claim to be...

December 6, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • DeeCee10000

That's strange, I've never heard of anyone who isn't Irish claiming that they were Irish. Where on earth do you live where people who aren't Irish are claiming to be Irish?

December 6, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

it happens every year on St. Paddy's day

December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • J

My grandfather always said: "There are only two kinds of people in the world. Those who are Irish and those who WISH they were!"

December 6, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |