Penn State sorority sisters denigrate Mexicans in party photo
Penn State's Chi Omega chapter apologized for this photo that was posted on Tumblr.
December 5th, 2012

Penn State sorority sisters denigrate Mexicans in party photo

By Moni Basu, CNN

(CNN) – Penn State has had its share of controversy for a while, but this week it is getting some more unwanted attention.

The university's Chi Omega sorority chapter is under investigation after a photo with Mexican stereotypes surfaced on a social media site.

It shows a group of sorority members dressed in ponchos and sombreros and wearing fake mustaches. One woman holds a sign that says: "Will mow lawn for weed + beer." Another sign says: "I don't cut grass. I smoke it."

The photograph was taken at a Mexican-themed party around Halloween, according to the independent college blog, Onward State. It was posted last week on Tumblr.

The university's Panhellenic Council said it had received concerns about the photo and that the council does not condone derogatory behavior from members.

"The Penn State Panhellenic Council recognizes the offensive nature of the photo and is therefore taking the matter very seriously," the executive board said in a statement.

"We are addressing the situation immediately with the members of the chapter in conjunction with their national headquarters," it said. "Our council and all its members strive to hold ourselves to a high standard and are disappointed by any failure to meet these expectations."

Jessica Riccardi, president of the Chi Omega chapter at Penn State, released an apology to The Daily Collegian newspaper.

“Our chapter of Chi Omega sincerely apologizes for portraying inappropriate and untrue stereotypes," she said. "The picture in question does not support any of Chi Omega’s values or reflect what the organization aspires to be."

The connections to the sorority were discovered through members' names tagged on Facebook, Onward State said. The posts have since been taken down.

Penn State public relations director Lisa Powers said that university officials have had conversations with Chi Omega members and that the women have expressed "deep remorse."

"The students in the photo are within their First Amendment rights to express themselves in this way, although we are certainly appalled that they would display this level of insensitivity and lack of judgment," Powers said.

"Because the right of free expression is guaranteed under the Constitution for both behaviors we disagree with or for those that we support we are approaching this as a teachable moment to engage this group of young women in discussions about their actions and to further educate them about diversity issues," she said.

Powers said the national leadership of Chi Omega will have to decide if disciplinary action is warranted.

A statement from Chi Omega headquarters said, "Personal degradation has no place in our organization, even if such behavior is meant facetiously or in jest. The Chi Omega national organization is taking this situation very seriously and is being thoughtful and deliberate regarding any sanctions or educational directives for the chapter."

At least one student at Penn State demanded a direct apology from Chi Omega to all Latinos.

"This is not a joke. This is our culture," said Ariel Coronel, president of the Penn State Latino Caucus.

She was shocked when she first saw the photo and said the signs the women were holding were especially offensive.

"There's a huge drug war going on in Mexico and you have a sign that says, 'We will mow lawns for weed and beer,' " Coronel said. "It's wrong on so many levels. How can you think this is OK?"

The reactions to the incident varied on Twitter. Here are two:

Posted by
Filed under: Ethnicity • Latino in America • Race • What we think
soundoff (2,140 Responses)
  1. erkman1999

Basically what i get out of this story is that people from Amaerica and Spain are held to a much higher standard than the rest of the wolrd. When we or Span do something stupid the whole world is disgusted and outraged but all other countries get a free pass and can continue to slaughter, kill, and discriminate without any recourse...classic. Oh well, only Us and Spain are the only horrible people on the planet...

December 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. A.

Good lord! And these stupid girls are supposed to be educated.

December 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • erkman1999

Einstien almost blew himself up because he was trying to impress a girl....Thats why he became a theorist...you live you learn...

December 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAW

It's proven that the teenage brain is not developed fully. The prefrontal cortex area of the brain which determine decision making and impulse control doesn't develop fully until the age of 25.

So basically teenagers acting stupid isn't uncommon.

December 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. liberty4all

Considering Mexican is not a race I don't see how it can be racist. An unfair stereotype but certainly not racism.

December 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • erkman1999

yeah, good point

December 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jonathan

more like beside the point

December 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wes Scott

At Halloween about a decade ago my brother got a catholic priest costume and an inflatable male doll, half inflated the doll and then strapped it to himself using a belt so that it bent over. It caused quite an uproar! A lot of people thought it was outrageously funny and as many though it was the most offensive thing they had ever seen. Of course, my brother and I both thought that catholic priests (or Jerry Sandusky) assaulting young boys is FAR more offensive to us than merely portraying what catholic priests do in real life.

December 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FLowell

I wonder how many people actually ARE offended and how many just say they are because it's politically correct.

December 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

I don't think offended is the right word; I'm embarrassed. I understand that this was intended as innocent fun but it details an underlying contradiction between America's founding principles of inclusion and the reality of where our culture is currently. What we see in the picture is a group of privileged girls looking down their nose at a group they view as "the help", and reducing Mexican culture to second-class status.

December 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. scott

I like your thinking Flowell.

December 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BostonBob

When my grandparents came over from Italy 100+ years ago they got the short end of the stick too.

Mexicans should toughen up or do they want all the white girls expelled and free scholarships for illegal aliens?

December 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Luna

I am Mexican, I am not not offended at all!!!

December 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ShawnDH

It's sort of amazing that some people don't understand the concept of consequences for saying stupid things, even though their free speech is obviously still protected.

These dumb girls aren't being thrown in jail or fined, though they should be exposed as idiots.

December 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. billybob

Bottom line is this. If you are white, you have to be sensitive to all other races and ethnic groups. This does not work in reverse order.

December 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Wish there was a like button for your comment.

December 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick from NH

Nicely said, couldn't have said it better myself.

Now to those if you who find it offensive why not get a life! It's a joke.
      PC is over people, we've had enough of this crap!

December 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. btldriver

The only reason this made the news is because it was at Penn State. If this photo were taken at ND or UCLA it would be a non-news item and we wouldn't be having this discussion. And for those who say "what are they teaching at this university," I would reply "hopefully the knowledge necessary to get a job," because unless you're a political or sociology major of some sort I would rather you know your chosen career field instead of worrying about how to be politically correct. In fact, I don't recall ever having classes offered that either taught how to be politically sensitive or politically insensitive, so maybe these girls were having fun and made a bad decision, how many of you readers have done things that you have regretted the next day. Finally, get over it and move on, there's nothing to see here.

December 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

While I agree that everyone makes bad decisions, I think your logic is flawed. Courses on how to be politically correct aren't taught because these are lessons about empathy (if it offends someone, why say it? I think there are plenty of fun party themes that don't stereotype a group of people) and common sense – not academic topics. The other issue is that you think this behavior doesn't relate to the knowledge necessary to get a job out of college. It actually does quite a bit. If any of these girls want to work in business, they need to be prepared to work with people of all backgrounds. With stereotypes in the back of their head – this hinders them. Speaking as someone working in marketing (previously HR), marketing professionals are looking for people who can relate to all kinds of people (to market to them) and work well on diverse teams. From the HR side, businesses look into Facebook now and a potential employee with a picture like this would NOT be accepted into any Fortune 500 company because this directly displays behavior offensive to some. People that hold racially-themed jokes in such high esteem do not fit in well with today's business culture.

December 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stephen

Why is it that it seems that the majority of the people who complain about things being "offensive" are middle class and white?

December 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silly1

Whereas I totally agree that the empathetic projection is real and very silly....it also could just be because most people are middle class and white (at least in the US).

December 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jack

What's the big deal? A group of girls do something stupid, and they learn a lesson. It's not like they launched a national campaign to degrade Latinos. Presumably they'll come out of this a lot wiser. As an American, I might be offended that these girls reflect badly on my culture, but not really. No one's expectations for drunken sorority girls are all that high, nor are these expectations likely to change any time soon.

December 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

Stop your whinning in support of stupidity. We're past offended. It's more like pity now.

December 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Not Offended

Bingo.

December 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. margarita

what is this "people" need to grow a thicker skin you know and everyone else knows that you dont want to say people
    like that other dude said we all have free speech why don't you use it then? I know exactly why because standing up for what you believe in has repercussions... I get it because there is 5% of hispanics attending that school they think can get away with it
    Maybe your right, but the women and men that raised my cousins and I had to do hard labor to support us, but at least we have enough respect in our culture not to disgrace them.

December 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dannowp

He dummies, the pot reference is obviously a Ceech and Chong reference. Who cares!!!! Get up in arms that 45 million people are on food stamps and our country wants more. Enjoy the little things!!

December 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Steve

They're hot.....who cares?

December 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Not Offended

Why would this offend anyone? Take it for what it is, people joking around ... what at the expense of Hispanics? I am Hispanic and not offended. If anything I feel more accepted, no one is spared from attempts of humor.

December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Scott

White stereotypes are funny , but is not ? I think we are getting a little thinned skinned.

December 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bigasf

What kills me is that peole who speak out about this picture and that is what it is, need to get a life or get out of this country. If the mexicans do not like it go back to your country and get out of mine. I have free speach just like the next guy and if you do not like it there are planes the leave this country everyday get on one and do not come back. We are a country of speaking out for something important is,nt news but have a picture or say something against a certain gruop and it is all over the news. Bottom line is don't like, leave or shut the hell up. It is a picture.

December 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Texan

I think this is hilarious. Every fraternity and sorority have parties like this. People need to stop worrying about what others do and think about themselves. If you dont live in a border state you have no clue what is even happening down here. They are at a "themed" party, give them a break. All the Chi'Os I knew were pretty hott and liked to have a good time. wish I was at their party!

December 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mr T

I am of Mexican decent, saw this picture and was not offended. I thought it was funny and wondered why in this day none of these girls offered mustache rides as well! Now, do I to apologize if I offend anyone who is proud to be a lesbian?

December 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bob

The whole politically correct and sensitivity thing is really getting old. You know what offends me? The people that are offended. That's what offends me!

December 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Offended? Some are offended enough to comment on this article, but that’s about as far as it goes. In public we’ll just continue to deal with this stupidity until we really get offended. Just because we point out stupidity doesn’t mean we’ll let it ruin our day. I’ve got a great weekend planned and this stupid act won’t be on my mind other than as a reminder not to offend an entire culture.

December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. AthenianBoyLover

What type of outrage is this spurring? It is media trying to make something out of nothing. Get a life CNN..

December 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. TheTruth

It's not racist b/c it's true.

December 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Darwin

It's to bad people can't just have innocent fun without someone taking offense. Seems like everyday more is added to the list of What you can't do. Not intelligent things like don't Lie, or Cheat or Steal; but just don'tpray, or don't joke, or don't look cross eyed at me or I will be offended, and you will be sorry !!! The bad thing about it all is, that usually the people who are so easily offended are the ones most guilty of the crimes.

December 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kyle

At least their not in the showers with Lil boys.. seems like thats all we have heard about at Penn State lately! woop!

December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lolwut

I love becoming outraged about trivial things, so this should do nicely.

December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Colleen

People need to get a life. If you take offense to this, your just simply over sensitive and ridiculousssss!

December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  31. John

I've been dealing with racism for so long now that I don't let it affect me negatively anymore. I've got very thick skin now. This photo doesn't phase me because I've come to expect this from certain segments of society. I'm used to it. That doesn't make it right, and those that have fight left in them should continue the good fight. Racism is wrong on all levels, and racism journalism is a key tool in the fight against racism. For those of you that find this behavior entertaining it just means you've been proselytized and have accepted another wrong as normal human behavior.

December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

No. It means we have a sense of humor, we know how to party, and we don't put up with PC nonsense.

December 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

That's not what it means Jeff, but keep telling yourself that. You obviously don't know how to party.

December 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chris

"we know how to party" dude

December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • rbnlegend101

If that's your idea of knowing how to party, Jeff, I feel sorry for you. The real thing is much better, doesn't require any signs, and no one is wearing a blanket or a fake mustache.

December 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cory

This is the way I see it. Making fun of a culture... Ok. Making fun of a single person because of there culture in order to make them feel bad or put them down... is racist. These girls were having a "Mexican" themed party... how would you dress up for that party without taking some kind of stereotype? I know what your saying "I wouldn't go to those kind of parties". Ok fine so you never dressed up as anything for Halloween? You never played cowboys and Indians as a kid? For you ladies out there you never played tea party or something like that as a girl? These girls were just having fun and had no malice behind it. So take the proverbial stick out of your bums and maybe read some real news reports about the racism in this country.

December 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Maria Carvalho

Frst, not all Latinos are Mexican. Please don't use both concetps as synonyms, they are not. Second: what are we teaching in our colleges and universities? We can expect something like this in other places, but at center of learning? We all have to re examine our view of the world, our values and our sense of ethics. In many ways, certain people stayed a century behind.

December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. R

I can't believe I read these comments and posted SHAME on me. Is this really news for CNN, my goodness it is a theme party. Are we really offended? So if someone has a TEXAN party and all the girls have cowboy hats and signs I gotta a gun hangen in my pick up ya'll' we are going to post that too. What a joke

December 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mic

Good thing Ed Sullivan didn't feel this way about Bill Dana aka: Jose Jemenez...

December 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. billy

people are so OVER-SENSITIVE. Please quit making a big deal out of this stuff. Soon one day if we keep reprimanding people for free speech issues we are going to loose free speech. If something offends you please DON'T look at it, DON'T listen to it, DON'T play it, and DON'T try to take away others rights as AMERICAN CITIZENS.

December 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jason

I wonder how many of the "offended" people are actually FROM Mexico? My heritage is German but you don't see me freaking out whenever any stereotypical satyr is done about Germans. People need to find better issues to complain about and put the energy wasted on this topic to something more constructive and fruitful.

December 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carlos

Jason, Do you have walk-in ovens at home? Now are you offended?

December 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jason

Not at all. :)

December 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Erich Das Kraut

Now that's funny(the walk in oven bit). My wife is Indian and latina mix. I am German and Irish. I say I love my brown...She says I love my kraut. We get a kick out of it. Wheather it is the Three Stooges with a hammer and saw or John Stewart cracking on well...everyone. Most comedy is hurtful to somebody. Lighten up Francis (Bill Murry–Stripes) And to answer the next question...Yes, we love the fire-water...

December 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nate198

honestly... i dont understand the big deal

December 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ulises

My daughter is an alumni from Penn State and love the school, but did these idiots think, that so many are trying to rebuild their schools reputation after the biggest scandal in college history. I hope all of them in the picture, that their parents get a copy...This was offensive to a group of people who work hard to support their families....again as I stated they are idiots.

December 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

Suffice it to say that Penn State SUCKS and i feel sorry for anyone who was involved with that school...noone will be impressed when they said they attended Penn State...

December 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeathsChoice

If I was a parent of one of these children I would 100% not care. People in general, like you, need to grow up. Whatever happened to sticks and stones? No one got hurt by this picture. People got offended? Who cares? Im offeneded that people got offended over something so insignificant and pointless. Guess our country wants to get to the point where we all just wear mandatory grey uniforms and have government approved haircuts. That way no one will be offended. Grow the hell up.

December 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Josh

This is a free society. Everyone get's dumped on at one point or another. Accept it.

December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  40. COINRAT2

In all the responses, I have not noticed any comments on the amount of Air that is making through those heads. Especially the blond ones. Opps. guess that is stereo typing too. Sorry.

December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Bill

This causes outrage, but trillion dollar deficits don't? What a country!

December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Paula

The proper spelling is "learn" So please learn to spell and don't lean. Thank you!

December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  43. stanleymann

Oh take a chill people! It's just a joke!

December 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. steve

Its just kids being kids, people need to lighten up. I showed it to a mexican here and they laughed. He said its more a stereotype of a sorority than anything.

December 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mexican American

I hate that phrase "kids will be kids". It's such an irresponsible statement. As a Mexican American in San Diego, CA born in the U.S. (my parents too), with a degree from UC Berkeley this photo shows the girls complete ignorance. Hopefully they will learn about society in college. In San Diego the Mexicans from Mexico are often found in certain areas waiting to be picked up to do WORK for someone in order to earn wages. All the people that I have seen with signs and begging for money/food are caucasian. Sure...first amendment freedoms are in place but these girls just gave a bad name for their sorority and for themselves as being racist.

December 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. miguelgenius

Is this covered under the first amendment?.. sure it is! Is this legal? ... sure it is! Is this right.... Hell NO!

Hey let's dress up in Nazi uniforms with swaztika armbands and hold up signs that read "Bring us a Jew and we'll gas him for ya"... Better yet, let's dress up as KKK members in white robes and have a party while burning a large cross in the University president's lawn.... Better still, let's dress up as.....................

The point is that college aged women should have a better sense of what is proper and what isn't. They should have a better undersrtanding of the history of the United States and the continuing evolution of our cultural mix. Never participate in anything that might remotely be interpreted as being racist or insensitive. To think that college women haven't figured that out by now is a little troubling.

And yes, I mowed lawns to pay my way through college.

December 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris L

no they shouldn't

December 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • miguelIDIOT

It's the same as trying to tell all these women to hold an aspirin between their knees... it's not going to happen.

December 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your Neighbor

Come on now...you're comparing this to Nazism or the Klan? People, for the love of god, lighten up. Spend 5 minutes on uTube and you can find any race in America bagging on others. The extreme vast majority of comedy is at the expense of white people...becasue its safe...and becasue nobody cries like a 5 year old that got their candy taken away when its done.

Take it as the joke it was meant to be. Maybe not the most taseful joke, but a joke none the less.

December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ulises

Well said, as I posted there are so many trying to rebuild the reputation of Penn State after the biggest scandal in college history , you think they would be more sensitive.

December 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Um...the examples you gave were basically threats of violence. This wasn't the same. Dumb, yes, but nowhere near your creepy scenarios.

December 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fran

Sam I disagree... the reference to drugs is a reference to violence. Drugs are a very serious issue and to imply that all Mexicans do is do drugs is not good. I wouldn't want my children to see this and believe it's true. I am fine with the clothing, I think it's funny, but the drug posters are offensive. They went too far.

December 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

I'm sure this is far from the dumbest thing that college-age women in a sorority have ever done.

December 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sal

I don't feel offended by this pic. I know who I am and what our people and my culture represents in other parts of the world. And I suspect that these girls smoke more weed than any other mexicano.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jeff

On behalf of all white people, I decalre that we will now be known as "European-Americans" and as a European-American, I am not offended.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  48. White Girl, Married to a Mexican, Living in Arizona

I know more white people who smoke pot than Mexicans. In fact, I don't know ANY Mexicans who smoke pot. Granted, they exist, but in my experience white people are the stoners, not Mexicans.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • erkman1999

You live in Arizona... you don't have grass and you can't smoke sand....hehehe Just kidding, but the 70's popularized Mexicans with smoking dope with the Cheech and Chong movies. Cheech Marin basically said in multiple interviews as thats what his friends and relatives did...might be outdated sterotype, but thats how these things start...

December 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nicole

Whatever. The girls in this picture weren't even alive in the 70's. And just because a stereotype is created doesn't mean it's okay to feed it. The young women in the photo made a very stupid choice and it tells us all a lot about them. I guess the stereotype of the vapid sorority girl is still going strong.

December 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. TMC

I wondered what happened to the Frito Bandito.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. pc

The midwest and interior east is the new hotbed of racism. Ohio has the largest number of Klan members in the nation.

December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. 2012_h

There are stereotypes for a reason...if Mexicans never acted like that, we wouldn't have these stereotypes against them.

December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

Acted like what? Landscapers?

December 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • zihuarob

I assure you Mexicans have never acted like those Chi Omega girls. As someone else here mentioned, most Mexicans do not even smoke pot, unlike their U.S. counterparts who are often walking pharmaceutical curiosities.

December 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

And these girls are living up the stereotype of white sorority girls just fine.

December 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Alberto Ayala

It's just a photo!!!

it's not racism!!!

I'm latino and i am not offended

December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Average White Dude

Thank you.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

You don't care if your culture is insulted by being boiled down to be defined by the image of the "Mexican Gardener"?

December 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jeff

Nice of you to use the PC term "African-American" and then just say asian after that.

December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Nextbest

You too!

December 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mike

With so many people getting outraged by so many things, you'd think they'd be out of rage by now...

December 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your Neighbor

Well said Mike. I wish this could be reposted every 30 seconds....Chill out America!!

December 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Journey

This picture shows how far our values have fallen under Obama...I thought this sort of thing was supposed to "Change'...now one minority (women) is going after another minority (Latinos). Liberals are hypocrites. I'm not saying the Tea Party is perfect but at least they don't try and hide their hypocrisy behind Oprah and Ellen like liberals do.

December 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

Are you suggesting that racial insensitivity is a new phenomenon? I don't understand how you can blame Obama for the actions of out-of-touch privileged girls.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • el dono

And...what values would those be?

December 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • zihuarob

You are a real piece of work and evidence of what IS wrong in U.S. society. Yes, President Obama must be responsible because as soon as he won the presidency the racists and nutcases came out of the woodwork. Take you for instance.

December 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeanneLH

This shows the mentality of the Tea Party. No doubt you're white....

December 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • NJStylee

I am NOT, by ANY means an Obama supporter. I think the man is a disgrace. But please tell me all about how one man is responsible for the actions of others. That is nothing more than a baseless argument, and I would ask that you rethink it, least you continue to look like an idiot.

December 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • O

Really, this sort of thing, racism and discrimination from young privileged white people, has emerged with Obama becoming president??? That's news to me, I could've sworn it's been around for hundreds of years. Furthermore, when was Obama's 'change' ever about obliterating racism and racial discrimination?? I think you're confusing your political leaders, perhaps Martin Luther King Jr.? Stop trying to make this a political issue, it isn't. We have a little thing in this country called democracy. It means every individual has the right to say what they think as long as it isn't inciting violence. So whether the President in a Democrat or a Republican (i'm not even gonna refer to the Tea Party), there will always be dimwitted idiots like these girls who feel how they feel. No Republican or Democrat or whatever else is gonna come into office and save us from racism you half-brain. It's an issue of morality, home values, parenting, not the reigning political party.

December 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

HILARIOUS.

December 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Michelle

and you think they haven't? get a grip on reality... everyone, white, black, asian, irish, italian, polish, etc. have heard and seen ethnic jokes thrown around. Only people who feel offended for the "offended" are appalled. The Latinos who have responded haven't been offended so far, do you think they need you to defend them?

December 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Buster

How dare they!? Come on you insensitive college kids. Don't you guys know you're supposed to be the most in-control, perfectly behaved, and respectable people on the planet? Don't you know it's only OK for Latino comedians to make fun of Hispanics? Also sometimes Daniel Tosh because he has enough street cred I guess? Now get back to all that studying I'm sure you were doing.

December 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

No, Tosh gets to do it because he's funny...

December 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Silly1

Nothing like the slippery slope of idiocy. Can't wait for the ban on all parties in case it offends people with no friends.

December 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silly1

Or a logical one. The list of offensive things is entropic.

December 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

silly comment

December 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Silly1

Fitting, isn't it?

December 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Yeah, it's amazing parties have been allowed to go on for so long – that's got to be the way forward.

December 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  60. White Guy

Actually, I'm white and smoke weed & mow my lawn. Does this mean that I'm Mexican?

December 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rafo

No, that means you slipping into the lifestyles surrounding you, subtle yet effective.I burn, drink beer and mow my Mexican neighbor's lawn becuase he is too busy trying to make an earning mowing lawns and is never home. So, que pasa mi hermano? Tu qundo de cervesas!

December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Pauly G

Boy are those ROMANS going to be upset when we have our next Toga Party!!!! How about report some real news like the ongoing cover up of Bhengazi or the pres taking a $4 millon vacation while the country falls off afiscal cliff. You folks are no better than MSNBC.......stir.....stir.....stir the pot!

December 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  62. ERIC G THOMPSON

WHO REALLY CARES KIDS HAVEING FUN.HAVE YOU ASKED A MEXICAN IF THEY CARE

December 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  63. BlarryG

I'm more concerned with the photo composition. It's terrible, back lighting, bad contrast. Don't they teach students anything these days?? Shame on you Mr. Penn.

December 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Michelle

Since when isn't "somone" offended by anything? We have gotten to the point where a person can do or say nothing without it offending "someone". Being politically correct has now become an extreme where it is almost impossible to state an opinion or perform an action without it being considered inappropriate, etc. I think people should be allowed to voice their opinions, thanks to our Freedom of Speech rights, without having to worry about constant fallout or apologizing to the "offended". Get a life people, and lighten up already.

December 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Freedom is important, but abusing freedom can translate into a loss of freedom as we see over and over again. Maybe they should have poked fun at their own culture instead of someone elses culture?

December 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michelle

which culture? there is quite a racial mix in that picture... do you want one of them to say me next?

December 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Silly1

Congrats on assuming none of them were Hispanic. Would it matter if ALL of them were?

December 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Sill1, I think it would matter. I think the exercise of teasing your own culture would help one understand that it's not the most productive way to make a point.

December 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Silly1

That pretty much fails every definition of racism. You can not segregate your race and say that you can do something that no other race can.

December 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

The people who are offended are worried about the stereotypes parties like this perpetuate. It puts a negative image in people's minds about a whole group of people. Having those stereotypes in the back of their minds makes these kids less ready for the real world (where they will encounter all kinds of people and often have to work with all kinds of people). I can tell you as a marketing professional, we are looking for people who can relate to people of all backgrounds (to market to them) and who can work well on teams. People that hold racially-themed jokes in such high esteem won't fit in too well...not to mention, if you think people can't even voice an opinion now without offending others then clearly the opinions you are hearing are very negative. There are more ways than I can count to make a joke, throw a themed party, voice an opinion, etc. without offending someone. You just need to have empathy and common sense.

December 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jeff D

People really need to lighten up, or just blame ole "light up".....It was a costume party, serioulsy under investigation? America get a grip......

December 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Journey

Who cares?...we just had 4 years of someone posing as an African-American and a leader on TV offering the American people free handouts and that didn't seem to bother anyone....hell, he got reelected. These girls learned their racial stereotype[es from the Democratic Party who trades in that currency better than anyone.

Rubio / Ryan 2016!

December 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlarryG

All I know is the black muslim dude did 1000% better than those lame white guys before.

December 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Buster

Yeah aren't we all so glad that now companies all over America are severing themselves to try and get under the 50 employee limit and finally the Middle East has funds to perform thousands of abortions, whether medically threatening or not? Barack is just as bad as the others IMO.

December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • GeorgeMc

I pray that people like you and the foolish GOP / Tea Party crowd keep thinking like this! That way, Hilary Clinton will easily become the President of the United States in 2016!

Seriously, ...You need help!

December 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Latino in front rom

I love how there is a latino looking women sitting to the left of the sign, "will mow lawn for weed + beer" obviously she doesn't care about the stereotyping.

December 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • drny

Or she's not a Latina anf you are just assuming things....

December 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daddy2010

Except she is not Latina. She is Asian, possibly Filipino.

December 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Espi

Stupid ignorant WHITE girls and are not aware of how social media can create wild fires.

December 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

yeah...she's Asian

December 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  68. MNMEXICAN

Dorothy, You are waaaay off mark here. Disrespecting college kids and exaggerations about drug use in the USA does not strengthen your pathetic argument. I hope these kids know how dumb they look and how insensitive this was, no more than that, let them go FREE, they are kids having fun.

December 6, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Sean

Good thing white people are never stereotyped..

December 6, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bey

Ha yes they are. Damn serial killers.

December 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Barbara

oh, honey...you got lots of killlers in your people...look in the jails and check out Rwanda genocide and Congo weirdness...

December 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  70. pc crap

Who cares people! I thought it was hilarious! People need to take a joke! I don't care when people make fun of white people! I think its funny when they do. We also don't see it on the news because the media doesn't see it as being racist. PC has gone to far! I wonder if a bunch of Mexicans dressed up as white trash rednecks and did this would it be on the news? No it wouldn't and if it was I would think it was hilarious too. Political Correctness sucks and is ruining this world! If you cant handle this you are weak minded!

December 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

If it offends people, it matters. Even if some Mexicans or hispanics aren't offended, it offends some so why do it? For fun? I can think of plenty party themes that would still be fun but not offend a group of people. Whether or not someone is "weak minded" for being offended really doesn't matter. What should matter is that for the purpose of "fun" we don't need to hurt others. There are plenty of jokes to be made and parties to be had that won't offend anyone. Also, the people who are offended are often worried about the stereotypes parties like this perpetuate. It puts a negative image in people's minds about a whole group of people. Having those stereotypes in the back of their minds makes these kids less ready for the real world (where they will encounter all kinds of people and often have to work with all kinds of people). I can tell you as a marketing professional, we are looking for people who can relate to people of all backgrounds and who can work well on teams. People that hold racially-themed jokes in such high esteem won't fit in too well...

December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Christina

Sorry – the "weak minded" bit was a response to a different post!

December 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • NJStylee

I am offended by your suggestion that I do not have the right to exercise free speech, or engage in satire because it might hurt someones itty bitty feelings. So by your own logic, does it matter that I am offended? Or perhaps maybe people should just, I don't know, NOT get offended by stupid crap? I'm Irish. Want to know how many times I have dealt with the stereotype that we are a bunch of 5 feet tall drunken bafoons that walk around fighting each other all day and beating our spouses? Do I get offended? Nope. I think its hilarious. Either A) because its simple satire...or...B) because it they ARE being serious, their ignorance is more amusing than it is offensive.

But please, tell me ALL about how your hurt feelings....bla bla bla...we should all be sensitive...blah blah blah...don't want to offend someone...bla bla bla...that makes you feel so....oh there I go rambling again.

December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Christina

I think it's great that you're not offended, and I get that you have to deal with stereotypes too. I just think that if people are offended, why purposefully do things that will hurt some people? I see it as unnecessary – a Mexican party theme? Unnecessary? There are awesome things to party about and plently of jokes etc. to tell. I simply think it's is always in our best interest to not hurt others. Maybe it's considered coddling people or over the top by some, but I think it's just common sense.

December 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  71. not surprised.

Way to keep it classy girls. You may want to consider the ethnicity of most of the kitchen staff before you eat out again. Now sounds like a good time to learn to cook. You can even keep wearing the hat if it makes you feel better.

December 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  72. pittd

If they did, I gaurantee it wouldn't make the CNN news. It only makes the news when white people do it. Sheesh.

December 6, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. pc

No, we are native americans who were raped by the spanish.

December 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmc

No we are not Native American raped by Spanish. We are a mix of many races, the huge majority of us are genetically white, but phenotypically not.

December 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  74. D

Ah, so I suppose if the "theme" of the party was "everyone dress in overalls and wear blackface", it would be up to people to ignore that too?

December 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Exactly! I would personally be offended if they dressed up in overalls and painted their faces green.

December 6, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jakkson

Let people live their lives already...Shame on CNN for even putting up a story like this.

December 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  76. danita

I don;t know why. Who would care if they were dressed as a bunch of Indians. People get a life.

December 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rick

No kidding. Halloween parties. The last big one that I was at Palin was the joke. You should have seen some of the costumes, people really need to get a life.

December 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Average White Dude

Interesting CNN didn't (and won't) cover that one!

December 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  78. John

I noticed some brown skin in the photo. An Asian, and possibly a girl of Latin decent. I’m of mixed race (just like everyone else even though many haven’t figured this out yet). I grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood. I recall many, many situations in which my white friends would hate upon other races in the name of “Fun”. I remember knowing it was wrong, but staying quite or joining in because I wanted to fit in. As I grew older I learned to stand up against racism in the name of “Fun”, and guess what? I found out who my real friends were/are.

December 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • danita

I went to a moslty black school, I'm very light and very pretty hair, but the kids hated me and called me white. Graduated high school in 1984 so this is not years and years ago. This mixed raced group were not running around calling names, pushing, and kicking people like I was treated. People need to get a life and this is just simple fun. The comedy channel would be out of business if this is bad.

December 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • jt88

It's sad what happened to you and it's NOT ok how you were treated. In fact, it's wrong what they did to you. Likewise, the sorority's behavior is also wrong. We can't allow this to perpetuate into the future.

December 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

I believe these types of stories are important. As you pointed out racism comes from all sides unless you are obvioulsy of mixed race like myself. If you're half black and half white it is hard to hate on another race or choose a side. Maybe that's the answer? As we continue to mix our blood maybe racism will go away as it pertains to skin color? Probably not, but just dealing with racism because it is apart of being American is not the answer. We need to keep addressing the problem until we solve the problem. Comedy is a form of addressing a serious issue, but not the solution.

December 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  79. D

"the council does not condone derogatory behavior"
    Wait, isn't derogatory behavior the entire point of the greek system??

December 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • NJStylee

EXACTLY! I don't see these councils getting their panties all up in a bunch over the fact that Fraternities and Sororities spend most of their time drinking underage and partying. Or the level to which pledges are hazed and humiliated just to be part of what is nothing more than a glorified club.

December 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Joel Johnston

I agree – chill. Or, introduce them to the College Rugby team's next party for punishment.

December 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Michelle K

Disgusting. I bet Mommy and Daddy are so very proud of their darling daughters.

December 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  82. MD

Most of them probably do that anyway......they are a bunch of idiots.

December 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  83. White Latino

According to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity not a race.

December 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Amar

December 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Average White Dude

Yes, Penn State is "investigating" this silly, victimless, crime-free sorority party for... what, exactly? Rather than just focus on teaching kids or perhaps getting their fiscal house in order. Your school tax dollars hard at work again!

December 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  86. chris

great picture...chill out Liberals.

December 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phattee

Hey since you find this so funny, you probably think the drug war's devastating toll on Mexico is a comedy cavalcade. Why don't you go down to Sinaloa and find out for yourself?

December 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Criddler

We had a Mexican American from El Paso Texas in my Fraternity at Penn State. I pledged With him. His mother was from mexico his father was from USA. He took every chance to dress like a chicano gang member or this 'landscaper' persona of mexicans at halloween parties because he would resemble the stereotype. Its a stereotype for a reason, its recognizable its not meant to be offense every time you acknowledge a stereotype- you really just want to put on a costume and get drunk...

December 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dover

You capitalize 'with' and 'fraternity' in the middle of a sentence but almost never capitalize 'Mexico'...........what college did you go to again?

December 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

He was trying to fit in the only way he knew how. I'm sure he regrets his actions.

December 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MNMEXICAN

Actually that scenario offends me more than those girls just having fun. Your friend from college was a total idiot who has no respect for his own people trying to make an honest living. And....... you need to go back to school and take more English courses.

December 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phattee

@Dover – I think the whole story is made up.

December 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Luz Hayes

All of you might think is nothing to degrade an ethnic group, you can call it freedom of speech, but when a person or a group uses the so call freedom of speech to insult another person, that shows me how poor educated and how low these so call college women are , I hope to never come in front of any of them.

December 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Sandy

It seems racist and disrespectful to me. It just shows their immaturity and ignorance. What else can you expect from 18 year old girls?

December 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Looks like their were having fun, time for people to lighten up.

December 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • White Latino

Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity, not a race. Mexican and Canadian are nationalities. According to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white.

December 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  90. AEW

Not cool. Seriously. The 1% have no clue what life is like for those who actually have to work for a living mowing your lawns, cleaning your house and hotel rooms, raising your children, making your beds, cooking your food. And I can't get over the number of you on here thinking this is actually ok.

December 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your Neighbor

This may have taken the cake as the most ignorant comment in the entire thread. What an uneducated thing to say.

Just becasue their "White girls" in a sorority they are part of the 1%? How stereotypical is that? I'd wager 95% of them are democrats to the core becasue that is what kids are in college. Id' also wager that few (if any) of them are part of the 1%. Its a state school not Yale.

You're comment is the type that exists simply to fuel divisity which is the core tenant rotting our country from the inside.

December 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Are you assuming that only the 1% goes to college?

December 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Joshua

They are, and forever will be, Ped State. These are probably the same girls who participated in the pro-JoePa riot last November.

December 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  92. rellumc

What happens when May 5, 2013, rolls around – we certainly have fun on Cinco de Mayo

December 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Samuel Jones

This wouldn't be a story if it weren't for Sandusky. Themed parties happen at all universities, and I've seen some pretty bad ones (not at Penn State - like Cowboys and Indians, for example). The signs are distasteful, but I'd submit they aren't being malicious, they're just being dumb. A huge issue is these girls are now receiving death threats as a direct result of the sensationalizing of this "story." Was it really worth it?

December 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

I don't think the purpose of reporting it is really to sensationalize it but rather it would be a good teaching opportunity for parents to talk to their kids (even college aged ones) about thinking of others and avoiding actions which would offend people. There are plenty of themes for a party that don't need to play of stereotypes that offend people – choose one of those. The sooner kids learn that they don't need to rely on humor or parties that are offensive, the sooner they will be more accepting of diversity and ready to work in a professional environment with coworkers of all backgrounds (where we actively work to be welcoming).

December 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Shane

If I were the head of the Latino club or whatever the one who demanded an apology to all Latinos, I would be the last one to claim what happened in this picture as my culture – that's what's truly offensive, attempting to appropriate a stereotype as an expression of one's culture.

December 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  95. LadyM

As a Mexican American i'm not so much offended as i am concerned. I live in a college town where similar parties have been held by local sororities/fraternities. In addition to ethnic themed parties minorities have been singled out and attacked on campus. We live in a time when Mexicans are being targeted by law makers and right wing extremest. If one stops and thinks about the situation it's easy to see that these "parties" are meant to degrade Mexicans. The US pass NAFTA took away Mexican farmers source of income forcing them to illegally enter this country and then chastises them. There is a bigger social issue here that i think most people miss.

December 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Speedy Gonzales

LadyM,
      Not sure how NAFTA took anything away from farmers, care to elaborate please?

December 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryo

One school of thought is that NAFTA undermined the prices of agricultural goods in Mexico. Many small farmers were forced out of business when they couldn't compete with the ridiculously low prices of American (subsidized) corn and other foods.

December 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • LadyM

Nafta allowed US farmers to sell their goods in Mexico. Mexican farmers could not compete with US farmers because of the huge subsides they receive from the government. Alot of Mexican farmers went out of business, couldn't find jobs in Mexico so they immigrated to the US.

December 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Great post!

December 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Who Cares

I am not offended by what they are wearing, but I am offended by the signs that they have. I wouldn't say I am sensitive and can't handle a joke. But I can say that those signs are a bit racist, the guys who spend hours mowing our lawns isn't getting paid very much for all that hard work that we won't do. And I am pretty sure that the majority of those girls smoke the weed that they are talking about. We need to get past this whole color thing, I can't believe there are still ignorant people like this out there. For a bunch of college girls, they are pretty stupid to not see what is wrong with this.

December 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast Guy

The sign would be pretty much universal if it weren't for the clothing they were wearing. I'm black and white and if I smoked weed, which I don't, I would certainly mow some lawns for some weed. Mexicans aren't the only people who mow lawns.

December 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. geoz

Yea? I work at a college. I've been in and out of greek systems. name call as you will, but they do no good that can't be done elsewhere, and they do a lot of harm that is part and parcel of their "tradition". And no... Not all white guys are bombers. That's a ridiculous comparison. Not all comments are equal either.

I stand by it. Greek organizations are not good for those in them nor those around them.

December 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Starman

I'm with you David. Unless there is a letter expresing outrage, from Mexico's ambassador to the US, addressed to the President of PSU, just who is outraged?

December 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Frozenroadrunner

The 2010 US Census asked "What race are you? (And for the purpose of this census, Hispanic is not a race)."

December 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • 0101101

It always asks if you are hispanic; white hispanic, non-hispanic white, hispanic asian, non-hispanic asian,...

December 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • White Latino

Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity, not a race. According to the Pew Hispanic survey, 36% of Latinos identify their race as white.

December 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  100. D black optomist

I am all for raciall jokes when in the right setting. In the right crowd it shows people are willing to move past stereotypes, and actually not feel pressured about what to say to each other because of their color. The costumes are 100% okay in my book. Now the cardboard cutouts. Well if it were me, I would of probably not let that hit the air bc although your intentions might be sincere, there is tons of room for critcism :-/.

Furthermore as a penn stater, it sucks to be put in the spotlight again for something so menial.

December 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |