December 6th, 2012

Your take on black in America

Editor's Note: In today’s United States, is being black determined by the color of your skin, by your family, by what society says, or something else? Soledad O’Brien reports “Who Is Black in America?” on CNN at 8 p.m. ET/PT this Sunday, December 15.

By Jamescia Thomas, Special to CNN

(CNN) - CNN invited iReporters to share their thoughts on being Black in America in 2012. Some said they had to work twice as hard to remain competitive. Others said a strong racial identity was vital and societal views on being black were too narrow to fit the entire race. Here are five perspectives from African-Americans on how they view the definition of black in 2012. What would you add?

Comfort in being a minority

Antwon Chavis grew up without much of a cultural identity, outside of the acknowledgement of his race. The 27-year-old medical student from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was one of the few black kids in his school. He remembers being called on often to make photos seem more diverse or to voice his opinion so that the minority perspective was heard.

He identified more with his white peers and remembers being rejected by his black peers. For a while, he realized he didn’t fit in with any race and thrived only after he acknowledged that was OK.

Chavis opted to go to historically black Meharry Medical College. He said he chose to go there because he found himself becoming too comfortable as the minority and needed to explore “black culture,” which he often avoided.

“If I could choose to sit at a table of black strangers, a table of white strangers, or a table of both black and white strangers, I would pick the white table all day, everyday,” Chavis said. “I was the duck that forgot it was a duck until it separated from the swans and saw its reflection.”

Now in his final year of medical school, Chavis said although he never grew up facing any hardships, being a black man in America is tough. He said he feels as though he is constantly fighting against the societal box for a black man.

“Being black in 2012 means different things to different people,” he said. “And to me, it means being who I am. And for once, who I am is just right.”

The underdog

Desire Grover said having a racial identity is not that important to her but finds that she cannot escape the practice of others trying to categorize her. She said that the classifiers of race and gender fuel what society imposes to measure the worth of a human being.

The journalist from Chester, Pennsylvania,  said the world cannot let her be just a human being because there is a hypothetical “race” that needs to be won.

“Our society has programmed us to compete with one another," she said. "And in the process of all this competition we size each other up. I think we use the race box as a way to cancel people out of access to certain resources and we are told we must do this because life's value is measured on how much power you have over resources and others.”

Grover identifies with the underdog, no matter what race, and welcomes the struggle that she faces as a black woman. Being the underdog is something that she says allows her never to take anything good for granted.

“As the underdog in society, when you do accomplish something of value, I believe you are able to experience a level of satisfaction and accomplishment that is lost on someone who is born into a family with networks leading to their profession or financial security," she said.

She hopes that one day, race will become extinct because the classifications limit human potential.

“We fear getting rid of these identifiers because it would mean acknowledging that we truly are all the same.”

The same as 40 years ago?

North Carolina A&T graduate Andrew Bullock considers himself successful. He has a great job, a loving family and drives a luxury car. But some people who are not black are surprised by his achievements, he said.

"Being a black man in America today means I have more opportunity to succeed than ever before while virtually facing the same opposition that has been present for decades,” Bullock said. “Even with the freedoms afforded us, we still face monstrous oppositions. There are still those who would like to see us remain subservient.”

His mother grew up during the Jim Crow era and told him about the blatant racism she faced. Today, he believes, racism exists in covert fashion and it's just as dangerous for black people.

“Racism is an idea which cannot die in a matter of a couple of decades." he said. "It has not gone away, but rather changed forms. It shows itself in the poor funding and care to schools in black neighborhoods, the disproportion of lead roles for blacks in blockbuster movies and cartoons, the unwillingness of state governments to address the high mortality rate of young black men due to violent crimes.”

Bullock said he expects the future for black people will continue to improve.

“I hope that we have such a high number of us shattering the negative stereotypes by becoming successful that we cause new positive stereotypes about our race to be created,” he said.

From Negro to colored to African-American

Being black means a legacy of triumph and brutality, said author and teacher Robyn McGee.

“Having a strong racial identity means loving your culture and heritage," she said. "It certainly does not mean hating other races. We should not let the media or any other outside forces define us.”

McGee grew up in Long Beach, California, where she still lives,  and was one of the few black students in her schools. She remembers being called Simba and other racial slurs.

She found a community of black students when she went onto San Jose State University.

"It was so wonderful to feel like I belonged," she said. "In fact, my family says I was somewhat militant during that time. I was studying black history in college, so I guess I was both angry and proud.”

She said the black experience was unique because they were brought to America as slaves. Oppression, she said, made black people resilient, forgiving and strong.
“We have been called colored, Negro, black, Afro-American, African-American and the n-word,” she said. “But no matter what term appears on a government form, we are still here in the great U.S.A shaping the history, culture and future of the place we call our home.”

No more excuses

Diversity consultant and motivational speaker Omekongo Dibinga, 36, grew up with a Congolese name and whole lot of ignorance. White people disrespected him, he felt, because he was black; blacks disrespected him for his African roots.

“I really tried to grow up and just be like everybody else. I just wanted to fit in," he said. "At every juncture though, I just kept being reminded of how different I was."

Later, he attended a prestigious school in Boston, one where he forged his strong black identity.

"I basically decided that if everyone is going to keep disrespecting me because of my black and African culture, I am going to embrace it 100%," he said.

Now in Washington, Dibinga helps inform and empower people on the issues of race and diversity.

“I didn't create racism and intolerance, but I can help end them," he said.

He said black people must develop a "no excuse" mentality.

“We can rise above any challenge put in front of us from poverty to racism," he said. “We even helped elect the first black president. What do we have to complain about? There is a lot of good going on for black people now."

How does it feel to be black in America in 2012? Share your views and personal experiences in the comments area below or post your own video on CNN iReport.

1. Black

You are black if you are either in jail, on food stamps, or in Harvard with full scholarship.

December 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

And if you are a bigot, you are posting uneducated comments like that one.

December 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeAnna Hinton

This is precisely why I had Soledad O'Brien keeps up the good work. When black people say they are subjected to racism in America, we can count on folks like you to give us shining examples to show that we are not making it up.

December 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wrathtard Blaze

I can honestly say I've never seen a black person at a Rush concert.

December 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You never looked because I was at one in New Jersey.

December 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Many Drops

Dude I have been a fan of RUSH since my highschool days in the 80's. Same goes for Husker Du.

December 10, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. ug

Always race and divide in this country...what about whites!

December 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shawn

People who comment about poor black schools receiving little funding don't understand how funding works. Most of the funding for public schools is raised through property taxes. Poor neighborhoods have low property values; hence the low funding for their schools. It has nothing to do with racism. If black people want a better lot in life, they can do what the whites and the asians do; go to school. Or they can do what the latin Americans do; work their butt off.

December 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pinky Shots

Talking about race makes you racist. Stop it. Stop it now.

December 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lakisha D.

The White Peoples comments are scarey. Get over yourselves its no longer your world!!! You have failed to keep the image of wealth now that your houses have been taken. And bankrupt is what you are. Black peolple can survive anything! Yall want people to think Blacks are a certain way, it make yall feel better than the next person. We are the most honest trust and caring race around. Do we kill our gays - no we befriend them-are we commting white collar crimes??? We live within our means and love one another and help our community. Whites are feeling the WRATH OF GOD!!! Now you know what it feels like to be at the bottom!!!

December 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ckoch407

Your comment is prejudiced, racist, and bigoted.

December 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ckoch407

PS: Way to represent. This thinking will make everything right, for we are all "winners" in the race to the bottom. Have a nice day. :)

December 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR

LOL! Black people have an average IQ 10 points lower than white people, they have half the income, and represent 40% of the prison and jail populations despite being only 12% of the population. If they're on top now, does that mean we're living in opposite world?

December 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Many Drops

Not for long! You know it and that's what scares the pants off all of you that think you are superior. You no longer control your own destiny and you can't handle the fact that others now have a say so in what becomes of you. That's why many like you hate Obama for no good reason as if he is running the Executive, Legislative and Judiciary branches of government by himself with total control (If anyone could do that wouldn't that make that person a heel of a human being? HAAAAA HAAAA!)

Welcome to the 21st century (finally) and the reality for the vast majority of the citizens of the world we inhabit!!

December 10, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
      • ckoch407

Many Drops

Thanks for proving my point. I control as much of my destiny as you or any other average citizen of this country. Who said anything about being superior? You got an inferiority complex? Of the two slimeball politicians, I actually think Obama was the better one. Any more bigoted comments to direct at me or do you want to talk facts? Things are not as one sided as the reactionist authors would have you believe.

December 10, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • pedro suero

you are understandibly upset.but i don't think that God has anything to do with this recession.it's all man's fault not God's.

December 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Slappy McPhereson

I'm tired of hearing about the whole slavery thing. I'm Jewish, and if we're going to talk reparations, we need to be compensated for building their pyramids. Using the old testament as a guide, my calculations state (adjusted for inflation) the Egyptians owe us 1.6 trillion USD.

We're offering a reasonable interest rate of .03% for the years 2046 BCE to 1643 BCE, slightly over 400 years of slavery, using Exodus as the termination date at 3:43pm with the parting of the Red Sea. This also includes attorney's fees, and maintenance and agency costs related to the execution of the Ten Plagues and God's standard representation rate of 74%. While that may seem excessive, he is God, and as such, charges a hefty vig. You'll note a gradient scale,as turning water to blood can be effected with relative ease and little cost, but when you factor in the logistics of killing every first born Egyptian, which included retainer for the Angel of Death, it is an admittedly large expense. Divine intervention will typically cost more than weapons-grade plutonium.

December 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon Winnick

Hi, I am also Jewish. You certain did make me smile today! Thank you for stating the truth and giving me such wonderful a day brightner!!!

December 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sagebrush Shorty

I lived and worked in Detroit in the 1960's and 1970's. It is impossible for a white person to live there for any period of time and not become a racist. It's sad, but it's true. No one killed Detroit, Detroit committed suicide.

December 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam stone

check out a book called Made In Detroit, by Paul Clemens. talks about growing up on the east side

December 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • perennial2

Happens in every majority black city. Just look at how crime riven and corrupt Atlanta has become since the 1980s. Same holds for DC, Chicago, LA, etc... Blacks seem to think it's so great to move to live around each other, then all they do is kill each other and turn every city into a paramilitary law enforcement operation. Primitive.

December 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Deshika

It's all based on ignorance. Someone has to point a finger. African Americans hate whites, Whites hate African Americans, Mexicans hate Native Americans... all because we don't try to understand each other. If we all took the time to learn more about each other, I feel that would create a broader understanding of who we all are and what each of us goes through every day. Yes, slavery was terrible, and still exists in some places, but African Americans are not the only ones who have been through a lot. We all have had some sort of struggle. (I am African American & White, by the way).

December 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

Is this a joke? Just like someone is Jewish or Gay you are born Jewish and you are born Gay. If you have a parent that black you are BLACK END OF. CNN IS SO RACIST

December 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Deshika

When my husband and I read this, we were like "doesn't being black make you black?" We each have a parent who is African American... so that pretty much make the decision for us haha!

December 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • maingear

As previously posted above, there is no country called "Africa America."

December 10, 2012 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rachel

This is just another "who cares" story from Soledad O'Brien who continues to obsess over race which is nothing new for liberals.

December 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • dywlf

Exactly, souldead has her stamp all over it. I haven't paid attention to her show or stories for years, Looked at this post before I realized it was her crap.

December 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Einzart

– Racism exists – Yes
    – Are there people of other races in this country – Yes
    – Are they succeeding in this country – Yes
    – Do all other races get lead roles in blockbuster movies and cartoons - No
    – Is the government taking a special interest in schooling of all other races - No
    – Are there a lot of immigrants in this country - Yes
    – Do they face racism - Yes
    – Do immigrants have the same rights as that of a citizen - No
    – Do immigrants get any government assistance like citizens - No
    – Which means there are a lot of people in this country who face an uphill battle everyday - Yes
    – We see a lot of immigrants working hard and succeeding - Yes
    – Can we say people of all races in this country have the same challenges and battles - Yes
    – Hence we can say that most people in this country don't get special treatment - Yes
    – Do we really need articles that harp about race & racism on a daily basis - NO, NO & NO

December 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jmiller

"DeAnna Hinton
    No apology needed. The only thing I have to wait for is judgment day when racist people get what they deserve."

responding to DeAnna's comment....

Are you ready for judgment day and getting "what you deserve"? because you are a racist.

Soledad quit perpetuating this racist bs! black, white, yellow green..we are all struggling to just get through the day sometimes! we don't need constant racial bs stirred up to keep everyone always fighting...I'm exhausted by the whole thing..just f'ng spent....

December 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

I am a bigot because I had so many bad experiences with blacks and they continue. The guilty ones make me afraid to trust all of them. It is not the color of their skin; it is the way they (the guilty ones) behave. I do not like Obama because I do not trust him. Things he is doing will also help me (short term) but and may even help our country. I'm uncertain and because he is another black man I cannot trust him. That is what needs fixing. Trust and respect is earned it is not a right.

December 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • culpepper

Dan ... and you never had any bad experiences with any white people ???

December 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan

Yes; I am 88 years old; so had many BUT they were different. My biggest problem was not with those who harmed me but with ALL the other blacks that took their side just because they were black. That is the cause of my mistrust and the point I was trying to make remains; the black community needs to realize and correct their own bigotry which only serves to create more of the same. May I ask you some questions? How many blacks would be in the U.S. if there was no slavery? Was it other blacks that enslaved them? Was their life better in the U.S as slaves than living in huts in the jungle with lions and snakes waiting to devour them? Did some of the slaves live in mansion's and treated like family BECAUSE they made themselves worthy of their masters trust and respect?

December 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wrathtard Blaze

He's from a different time, when being a minority automatically made you stand out. While he probably, statistically, had more problems with white people over his lifetime, for much of his life a black person stood out in his mind because of (unintended) color bias. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, what he says has a kernel of truth for any group or organization. It's an unfortunate by-product of being a minority in any country or community, in that you're grouped together as a cohesive community, and that people's words and actions represent the larger community, even though no individual represents a race, with the exception of Jesse Jackson and John Tesh.

December 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Philly

Years ago when I supervised flight attendants, I had one particular crew member who came in my office often, wanted to put people on her "no-fly list" often. There were a variety of issues with these people per her explanation. One day after she complained about another crew member and said she couldn't fly with them, it finally hit me...so I said to her. "Well you see at this point I have to wonder if the problem is out there, or sitting right in front of me". You see Dan, chances are the problem is not with black people, it's a good chance YOU are the problem. Yes, I'm black.

December 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan

If I understand your reply correctly; you do not agree that trust and respect must be earned . Is my understanding of the words Respectable and Trustworthy wrong?

December 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tim

Balcks are the most hated race in America and they do it to themselves.

December 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bubba Rydel

Who cares! More racism from the black political machine.

December 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Name Michael Wilson

Seems that a black person has to be an entertainer just to have nice things. Whatever happened to just being smart about lifes choices? Thats how white people feel about us, they think we are all stupid lol

December 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pablo

No, if they cn run and jump, they can be a basketball or football player and make gazillions.

December 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lakisha D.

–This subject is very sensative for alot of my people.We all want to get ahead in life, jobs are asking for backround checks and credit checks to hold us back now that we are educated. What happened to the 60 or 90 day probation period? In present day we still have the "token black" in job positions. Schools in my community are failing badly. No one seems to care about Chester PA School District. We are being set -up to stay in certain geographical areas.(renovating project housing to keep us there) That will keep people from moving into other neighborhoods or wanting to become a homeowner. Things unfortunately are not quit "The Dream." My skin color is stll the first impression. I work as a receptionist, people would say I know who your voting for!! Or, when white women talk to me they sometimes get all "sistah girl" suddenly.

December 9, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |

I feel your pain.

December 9, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

"Schools in my community are failing badly. No one seems to care about Chester PA School District. We are being set -up to stay in certain geographical areas."

With all due respect, I used to live in a neighborhood that YOU FOLKS decided to move into during the 1970s. Do you care to guess what happened to that neighborhood? Well, for one, my car was stolen by one of YOU FOLKS twice within a month, there were several attempted break-ins, and I even had SHRUBBERY stolen from my front lawn.

And you have the UNMITIGATED GALL to wonder why we want to keep you out?

December 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • davecu

Surprise, surprise, surprise!
      It ain't all about YOU!

If a background check is required, have a clean background.
      If a credit check is required, have good credit.
      These are thing you CAN do.

Quit whining and start doing. You'll be surprised how your fortunes with increase, how your self-respect will increase, and how your sense of victim hood will disappear.

Be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

December 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brutus

Seriously? I work for the Department of Defense. I am subjected to a background check AND random drug testing as a condition of my employment REGARDLESS of the color of my skin. Yet, those receiving government assistance, and yes many truly need the assistance, do NOT submit to drug testing or anything to get assistance. I grew up in a very poor AND racially diverse neighborhood. As a white person I was the minority, but i found a way out, joined the Air Force and gave over 20 years of my life to this country. I worked with all different races and ethnicities and not a one cried discrimination, until something did not go their way. Tell me what is wrong with THAT picture?

December 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • HavanaGuy

"We are being set -up to stay in certain geographical areas.(renovating project housing to keep us there)"

And if they weren't renovating, we'd be hearing you complain about that.

December 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • pedro suero

i feel you and i know that you're truthful. i can also relate. things will change but it will take more time. hang in there. you will live to see it.

December 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. DeAnna Hinton

And guess who was there, amputating the leg and hellbent on taking the lives too!

December 9, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  19. Keith B Rosenberg

When I got the 2010 census form it asked about "race" but included no definition. So I called their toll free number to get the definition. Thy did not have one. So I put "Human" on the form since there is no question about that being what we all are. Having the question on the census means that Uncle Sugar wants to know your "race" for some reason though I note that we are supposedly working towards being a color blind society.

December 9, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Race:Human. heh heh .. good one

Too much fixation on race. Get over it people. We're all the same.

December 9, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Something something

I always find it interesting that blacks want everyone to understand their struggle and pain and blame history for today's problems yet they will be the first group to hate on everyone else. Like no one else can have a civil rights struggle – only them. They use their religion to hate on gays and other minorities and yet cry when they are discriminated against. The oppressed always becomes the oppressor.

December 9, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • DeAnna Hinton

let's play name that group. Name the race of people who, enslaved/killed blacks, almost made native Americans extinct, killed millions in the holocaust, kept apartheid alive and well into the new millenium, and killed/pillaged Mexicans until they got most of the land we now call New Mexico, must I go on? You think I dont have ANY EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT MY THEORY THAT THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE HAVE DONE horrible, unspeakable things to all people of color? Then you have the audacity and nerve to tell all those your race have hurt to "get over it" Your atrocities as a people are the worse affronts on humanity than any other race on the planet.

December 9, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
      • ckoch407

So grievances from past generations that neither you or I suffered through justify the unacceptable behavior carried out today? How long is that supposed to be tolerated? Respect is mutual. You want it? Then give it. You want to count grievances and use it as an excuse to commit new ones? You wont like the outcome when that excuse is used by the side you see as "opposing".

December 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • RR

yep pretty much. you are not the only person to feel pain. what people have done in the past and still do is wrong, But it is not all about you. As a minority, I am walking it off and living a good life. You have the choice to move on, its time.

December 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • perennial2

None of my relatives on either side of he family were in this country during slavery or engaged in any activities once they arrived in the U.S., except to learn the language, work hard and pay taxes over the past 140 years to support an endless supply of ignorant welfare criminals who do nothing for anyone else in the world. Blacks do little but fill prisons and make everyone around them miserable. Takers and always will be.

December 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sagebrush Shorty

Obama certainly has succeeded in bringing us all together.

December 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  22. sanlui

I would first like to inform "Saeed" that the Muslims were the ones who bought young African slaves from the village chieftains and then transported them in chains to the coast where they were sold to the European traders who transported them to the New World.I'm a white European who's been married to a black American woman for over 20 years and I should add "happily".We moved to Europe and my wife has never experienced any form of racism there,maybe curiosity from the people we encountered.The same cannot be said about my experiences in the US,we've been the subjects of blatant racism,we've been called names and met with some confrontational people looking for trouble,and ALL these people were BLACKS!When we visit (2 or 4 times a year) with her family I feel their hostility under a thin crust of indifference,the men in the family never tried to include me in their activities nor tried to make me feel accepted even though we constantly help them financially.The first years I tried some kind of participation,but I gave up.The only reason Soledad O'Brien,Sharpton,J.Jackson etc. keep stirring the "race pot" is to their only advantage,making trouble keeps them wealthy!Blacks in America have endured a lot in the past but no Black anywhere in the world has the chances that America offers them,many American blacks have a personal wealth superior to the GDP of many foreign countries.

December 9, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jaronda Miller PhD

Sanlui, I appreciate your bringing the side to slavery that most people do not understand or it gets lost in the history shuffle. You are right, there were some Africans (not necessarily all muslim) who cooperated in slave trade. (There was a transatlantic slave trade and an inter-continent slave trade which I must make note of here. The intercontinent slave trade was far less brutal and inhumane as the transatlantic slave trade but that's a discussion for another time). But your comment would insinuate that the Europeans were faultless in capturing black Africans and bringing them to the "new world". They TOO pillaged the continent of Africa (mostly west Africa) and did they own share of the dirty work.

December 9, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  23. pedro suero

i wrote of my painful experience here in america but i guess it was too truthful and too graphic, hence censored. thanks soledad o'brien for allowing me to speak my mind. thanks alot.

December 9, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  24. DeAnna Hinton

Let's take a look at what people want blacks to forget: countless rapes of our great grandmothers (which is why many of us are "brown skinned" ), lynchings of our great- grandfathers, robbery of our history and traditions,and stolen free labor. All done without the right to say one word in objection about it because we were considered sub-human. I know white people want us to "forget" and move on. But forgetting only helps the whites families/descendants ease their conscience about what a cruel and destructive race of people they come from. My son will know all of the story, and we won't forget. Here we are in 2012, being persecuted again just for TALKING about what it is like to be black in America. Instead of whips and chains, we are met with more hatred and insults. Some things never change.

December 9, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Sammy

DaAnna, the worlds history is filled with unexcusable actions, we cannot rewrite history to suit our own agendas. Before teaching your son the whole story, perform research on the subject and teach him the ENTIRE story, not just bits and pieces of history. Throughout history races have turned on themselves for profit, greed or power, this holds true for all nations. Slavery didn't start with the United States, it had been ongoing long before then, and it wasn't just the "whites" that was involved in slavery, tribes in Africa are to blame as well. History lesson 101.

December 9, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

Who cares what color your skin is? Worry about your education and being a decent human being. If everyone did that, the world would be a better place. Worry about being a good parent, a good and caring child, and again, above all, a decent human being. The color of your skin does not define you unless you let it do that. I'm a white American Jewish woman. I was born very attractive and thankfully, I had a mother who told me at an early age that what I looked like meant nothing and would not get me anywhere. I followed her advice and today I have a doctorate in biochemistry. I'm still very attractive...but I count on what's in between my two ears to get myself ahead. Don't worry about external appearances...they count for nothing unless you let them define you.

December 9, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • LivenThePast

We dont forget....but on the same token, we dont live in the past. The only race of people to still live in the past are blacks. They use it like a crutch is used by a person with only one leg...

December 9, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Hey DeAnna, before you start saying that White people are horrible, you should take a history lesson. News Flash: There were Free Blacks that owned slaves too! And before you say I come from horrible people, just so you know, my ancestors immigrated here in the early 1900's from Germany. They never owned slaves. Stop being stuck in the past and move forward.

December 9, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
      • DeAnna Hinton

I'll acknowledge that some blacks were horrible as soon as you ACKNOWLEDGE that most whites in that time were horrible too.

December 9, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
      • davecu

Please consider too, just because you were born white didn't mean you were given a slave!
        Most couldn't need or afford slaves.
        Soo an entire race is being painted with a brush that only should paint a small percentage.

Hate needs to stop for ALL our sakes.

December 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

The hundreds of thousands of white soldiers who died in America's Civil war appreciate your racial comments.

December 9, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
      • DeAnna Hinton

Hundreds and thousands of soldiers would not have HAD to die, if it weren't for whites trying to make slaves out of Africans in the first place. Ever thought about how all those soldiers died because of their own people making stupid decisions?

December 9, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • DR

Slaves were sold by Black chieftains, just as bad as the whites that bought them. One thing no Black person ever mentions or acknowledges is that over 300,000 white soldiers died winning Blacks their freedom. Maybe you should tell your son that instead of trying to keep the white hatred going. Abraham Lincoln detested slavery, he would probably be very proud that we have a Black president. And if you want to discuss rapes and robberies go to the FBI crime statistics. Tell your son that the only way to have a future is to move out of the past.

December 9, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
      • DeAnna Hinton

Too bad they did not have FBI crime statistics during slavery. I wonder what THOSE statistics would have looked like. Oh, excuse me, raping a black woman wasnt even considered a crime yet.

December 9, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Jaronda Miller PhD

First of all, I think its disrespectful for any one on this post to mention DeAnna's son EXCEPT for her! Secondly DR, Abraham Lincoln DID NOT detest slavery. Where in the world did you get that from? He OWNED slaves. Abolishing slavery was a political move that had very little to do with his moral compass toward human rights. That's the biggest lie that history keeps telling...Abraham Lincoln was down for the poor black slaves. Please! The short story is, in order to win the war he had to abolish slavery...research is not topical, its deep and relentless. Abraham would roll over in his grave if he knew Barack Obama was President, or any other black person.

December 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Saskia

We don't have a black president. We have an African-American one: half WHITE and half BLACK!

December 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sagebrush Shorty

Saskia.............No we don't. Obama listed himself as Black on his census return. Therefore he is Black.

December 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

If you live in the past, you will never make it to the future. I am white and just so you know, I do NOT feel any responsiblility for what happened in the past. I have never owned a slave or did any of the horrible things you mention. If you are waiting for someone to say they are sorry, you have a long wait.

December 9, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |

December 9, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • ms13

Move back to Africa and stop fostering the hate here. Good riddance!

December 9, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jaronda Miller PhD

rs1201 I think you are missing Deanna's point. yeah, let's say we as individuals "forget" or "don't worry" about the color of our skin, meanwhile a large portion of America is busy reminding us of our skin color and placing meaning on our skin color just the same. Your very naive if you think that being attractive is just as discriminating as being black or any other person of color. Actually, being attractive is a benefit not a hindrance! Think about the last election, this voter ID fraud was conjured up by the GOP (mostly white and male) to keep people of color from voting. But you want us to ignore the flashing signs that this was a racist move on the part of the GOP. The evidence that we're black is all around us. Its easy for you to forget your Jewish because the Jews have managed to become white in America. See Karin Brodkin's "How The Jews Became White" if you don't want to take my word for it. I've received a Ph,D, in sociology with a concentration in Race and Ethnic Relations and trust me, this race issue isn't as simplistic as you're trying to make it out to be. If it were we'd be "over it" by now....as many suggest we should be. (insert sarcasm here....)

December 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wrathtard Blaze

I'll bet some White Devil founded BET.

December 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Get over it.

December 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles J

Deanna, you really need to stop living in the past. It's not something that you were a part of or can change. You can acknowledge it, learn from it, and move on. You fit the perfect stereotype of calling out other races for being racist, but don't see your own racism. It's the biggest hypocrisy among the black culture today. You're an American, better yet, you're a human being and you breathe, bleed, and will die just like every human before and after you. Racist people are the worst kind of humans there are, and the mentality that you have is no better than that of the very people that you are speaking out against.

December 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • DeAnna Hinton

Just giving you the facts. I'll bet you cant tell me that anything I wrote is not true. You cant. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves as a society of our tragic past, lest we make the same mistakes again. I think we all beneift when we learn from the past, not "get over it" and expect things to get better because we just "forget". I understand white people being too ashamed to talk about the bad things they are responsible for in this country's history. After all most of the people who wrote the history books do not look like me, so they can write a beautiful picture and forget all the horrific things they made come to pass. Or even reinvent their roles in a positive light. Too bad most cant face what their ancestors did to others in this world. They just insist we "forget" about it. How convenient for them.

December 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • DeAnna Hinton

What do you mean "it's something I was not apart of?" My family, most black families have been touched by our history and current racism that still exists today. Some people think that just because Obama is president, racism went away. What crap. The republicans did everything in their power to ensure that he was only a one-term president. Ive never seen a president face so much adversity. Hmm, I wonder why. Racism is on a bigger stage now, that is all.

December 9, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dee

White people alive today have NOTHING to do with slavery or the horrible things that happened because of it. If you live and dwell in the past, that is where you will stay.

December 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • perennial2

White men didn't invent either slavery or rape.

December 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • RR

things do not change because you do not allow them to. You are raising a son to be a racist. You can remember all you want, but it did not happen to you. Try living with being raped as a child from the time you can remember till you where 11. Try being sold into child slavery. You have the whole world at your finger tips, all the privileges people long for and you just sit and wallow in your resentment and anger.

December 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • HavanaGuy

Take a look at crime statistics: rape, robbery, home invasion, murder, battery, assault...
      Then come back here and post your comments on which race is the most abusive to the other.

December 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. thedarkelf

IM SO SICK OF SEEING THIS NONSENSE EVERYDAY. Let me tell you who's black! NO ONE,I put fourth to all of you that today in the entire world you will not find a "Black" skinned person. End of story I do not see any value in this incessant need to throw race propaganda into the news daily. Its all bull we are all different there you have it now you can all feel special about yourselves. We all are human and have flaws and pain as well as joy and love. We all make mistakes and we have moments of grace. The news should be a place of information not propaganda to keep us all seperate.

December 9, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • DT

I am scared now after reading this. I am going to the eye doctor immediately, I can do that now cause of obamacare. Here is the problem, I see black people. That and you say there isn't any. I really do and they are all over the place. Maybe they can make a new movie just like the one where the kid says, I see dead people except this time it would be, I see black people. Even the president, always saw him as a black person, This is scary.

December 9, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. ALAN FISCHER

There is a high yellow in the wood pile somewhere

December 9, 2012 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  27. Vee Robillard

This is precisely what racism will never disappear in the USA. You guys are obsessed with this, as a divisive conversation. Go to any other country where racism is NOT a problem, and you'll find one common element. The media isn't constantly talking about how we are different from one another. Instead, what unites us all, should be the conversation.

December 9, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Susan

i agree with you 100%

December 9, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dino

Lets talk about black people for a change. I like black people. I wonder what a black person is thinking right now? Probably about how hard it is to be black. It is hard to be black. It's hard to be Serbian too the Turks kidnap their children and train them to fight as janissaries.

December 9, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  29. shall1432

I will reserve my judgment on this article, It's just too controversial. How conveniently for many to think so now...

December 9, 2012 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  30. TexMan

If you really want to get a feel for what it is like and what is acceptable in "black" america go to "worldstarhiphop" Do not confuse life in the real world with life in the privileged lane.

December 9, 2012 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. Thomas

For blacks it's all about self-esteem.

December 9, 2012 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

Thomas, you are so freaking wrong, you act as if we NEED approval as if we are beneath any other people, your comment proves that you and others like you THINK you really know us and have us all figured outt, when in fact you have no clue what so ever. I wish all white people could live as a black person in America for just one week and you would be surprised of the treatment we get , and the looks . I'm not complaint because The Creator gave us this thick Black skin for a reason and one of those reasons I guess is to handle the hardships and racism that is still be thrown our way. Peace

December 9, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
      • jzaks

Ooooh, little touchy are we?

December 9, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Or lack of same.

December 9, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kay

Bill Cosby (a very smart man) has the best analogy on being racially diverse.

You can take half of an apple out of the pie pan, replace it with half of a cherry pie, and still call it an apple pie.

You should embrace your entire background because if one small piece of it was missing you wouldn't exist!

December 9, 2012 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Excuse me...too late to be posting I guess

CAN'T

December 9, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  33. What Is this

If you are allowed to,(which you should), embrace being of African descent saying it is culturally significant, then I should also have the right to embrace being a German/swede and sharing their achievements without being persecuted for racism

December 9, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Not one chinese person in my entire life, and I've met quite a few of them, has EVER told me I need to worry about their race, or get all exicited about it, honor it, acknowledge it... anything. In fact, I had to actually ask some about their history and background because they honestly didn't care if I knew it or not. It was so normal, a lot like talking to a native American Indian,
      and quite a few people from India. No one cared about race... but I'm still told continuously to care about blackness. That is just so odd... it's surreal.

December 9, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  34. James

Better question is who cares! You have every right and should be encouraged to practice your culture and heritage and to express pride in your ancestry, if you are majority African ancestry, your black,, if you are 1 percent African, 60 percent swiss, and 39 percent Dutch, then you are not black....

December 9, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Commojoe

That's about as right on a comment as I could make to this whole subject! Who the ____ cares WHAT you think you are? Call yourself a pink-blue-orange phlegmbot for all anyone cares! What does it matter as to what kind of person you are? Treat others as you would wish to be treated by them and live your life in a kind and caring manner, and you will live a much happier life!

December 9, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

What people fail to realize is,we as AA or Lack or whatever we are called now a days never wanted a label, but do to the illls of western society I.e. racism they have labeled us and all we did was adjust the label to what we fill is more fitting for us. We are reminded EVERYDAY whether ion the work force or by just simply driving our nice Range (pulled over by police) , that we are black . Therefore we had to face the fact that we may not be different BUT we are treated different and this is coming from a college degreed "human being" who has the skin complexion of what is considered black.

December 9, 2012 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  35. joe

Really?

December 9, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  36. Ok

So someone half black/half white is only black?

December 9, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • brandiisbroken

I lived in a racist town and was brought up by a racist family. I got sent away to an all white school when I was fourteen just for having black friends. I was married to a white man for twelve years and I have the most beautiful white son. I love my race but I love others races as well. My husband and I divorced and I fell in love with a Black man and married him. Most of my friends and most of family disowned me because of this decision. I am 33 years old and it's 2012. What are we teaching our children to have hate in our heart for someone who looks different or has a different style. The profiling I have witnessed in areas all over the United States disgusts me. Only God can judge.

December 9, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
      • keyrevs

That made no sense at all

December 9, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
      • gwedwards

What's a racist town?

December 9, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • MizzGivens

People get to self-identify.

December 9, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

If you are half, society as a whole see you as a black person and this dates back during the times of slavery. I see it as just half black/white ,which is what the person really would be but most of the white society see you as black.

December 9, 2012 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  37. patch vader

Does it matter? Our president is black. The richest woman in america is oprah. About the only white face you see at an NBA game is on the bench.
    I don't understand the attraction of white women to black men. Plenty of white women hooked up with black men, but very few white men hooked up with black women. Why is that?
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter, in 300 yrs we will all be brown.
    (time magazine did a cover about this several years ago)
    The bottom line is that there are no more excuses. The recent recession was the great equalizer.

December 8, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ok

It won't be 300 years, with cultural boundaries, political issues and the potency of European, Asian, and African genetics alone it will take an absolute minimum of one thousand five hundred, likely thousands more

December 9, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Paganguy

Most non-pro black women don't want to get involved with white men.

December 9, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Storm

Our President is HALF Black.....Obama's mother was White AND he was raised by his WHITE mother & White Grandparents....... as his Black father was not around.....

December 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ryan

Race will ALWAYS be an issue for african americans because of their cultural history (slavery) which we are constantly taught and reminded of in school from elementary to collage etc, so excuse us for trying to get over the fact that some white americans think less of "black" people. Not all black people and white people are racist but racism will always be an issue....and an idiot will be an idiot no matter their skin color.

December 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

The ignorant care about blackness, and the intelligent get annoyed when told they have to not care about it. I have never heard a chinese person tell me I need to care about race... I am told continuously that I have to care about blackness. It is annoying.

December 9, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

Black people are not looking for sympathy they are looking for Respect. Just be respectful and act as you normally would the point is no matter what color you are everyone likes to be respected.

December 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Willie Duitt

Uniquely, you may not have heard a Chinese person remind you about his race, but do you honestly believe he isn't discriminated against, berated, or made fun of? Asians are oftentimes less vocal about discrimination despite its existence. Blacks are far less accommodating. That's part of the difference.

December 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dan Johnson

Nice to see the KKK is well represented in the comments section. Now it appears the white sheet of anonymity is hiding behind your keyboard and acting and talking like an idiot. At least the guys in the white sheets were out there looking stupid for everyone to see. Must be hard typing all your garbage from your parents basement.

Absolute embarrassments to the human race who clearly have no clue.

Proud father who happens to be white, of a son who happens to be black. His heritage is mine and mine is his. Last I checked we all share the planet together.

December 8, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. elinwoods

we all look the same when we are dead

December 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  41. John

Will blacks ever stop begging people to care about their being black? Someday... maybe

December 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeAnna Hinton

You must care to some degree: you read the article, read comments, and took some time out of your schedule to put "pen to paper" about it. You could have easily clicked onto something else instead of this article. You do care. The question you need to ask yourself is, why do you care?

December 9, 2012 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  42. ThatGuy

meh. I'm black and I'm 17. Seeing this makes me sick people arguing over nonsense. So it may be difficult to be black in America but it is also difficult for some white people the fact of the matter is, we're all people and we should all just get along and encourage behavior like the peopl in the videos because they're trying to be an inspiration in black youths eyes arguing will get non of us anywhere

December 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. krehator

Wake up. Poverty does not discriminate. The real war is between those who have too much, and think everyone else is beneath them.

December 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • krehator

*with

December 8, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharonica

preach!

December 9, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  44. Aryn

Maybe search serial killers by race? I would much rather have my radio stolen than be made into a skin lamp...I am just saying.

December 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • StephB

You should research it. Based on percent of population blacks make up a disproportionate amount of serial killers. FACT

December 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brandon

I'm a black 20 year old college student. I was adopted and raised in a predominately white neighborhood/white schooling. If you think for one moment just IGNORING racial issues in America they will just go away, you are misguided. If you think that by just stating that you aren't racist that it changes how the stereotypes of different races effects the people of that race, you would be wrong. There is a clear hierarchy between races that has been established and promoted. The most unfortunate part about this is that, those who are in the minority feel almost as if they are obligated to behave within these limitations which only fuels the fire. Being black in America is a real question. Do you know how many times I've been told I wasn't black but my white friends because I don't act like what they believe is the typical African-American culture.

December 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • debra

It's the same as black people calling successful blacks (jobs, decent people, educated) Uncle Tom's or they are acting white. People who do that are THE problem. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. So just be what you want to be, ignore the trash. A lot less of the pro-black and pro-white crap and how about pro-human?

December 9, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  46. Tim

Look at ANY black neighborhood in America that isn't full of crime and and a complete armpit of housing. The black community has had many chances to better themselves from governement handout programs and yet they still have gone nowhere. Please drive through a black neighborhood between 9-5 Monday thru Friday and see how many 18-65 year old men just hanging out and then go into a white neighborhood during the same hours and see how many white men you see between 18-65 hanging out.

December 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhondajo3

Not everyone has been in every country!

December 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeAnna Hinton

You know what, the white settlers were the original lazy people of America. If they had decided to do their own work to make this country great and not go to Africa to steal millions of Africans, you wouldn't see black over here working or not working. So blame them.

December 9, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  47. Marine1

Being retired from the Marine Corps and retired from the police department the only two colors I know is a camouflage uniform and dark blue uniform. While in the Marine Corps color of a person was not how he or she was judge but how good could you do your work. Police departments work under the same matter except they had to promote so many minority individuals it is what it is. I do not have a issue with the black man or black women that are my age (57) or older they have a right to claim they where not treated equal. Today's black youth has no excuse at all. I find it sad in today's world for the black society because President Obama is half black and half white but black society think he is the first black president, he is the first Bi racial President. If the General Colin Powell would have ran for President he would have been truly the first black President. I would have voted for him. I don't mean to burst anyone bubble but prejudice will never go away there are too many dump individuals on both sides to make it go away.
    Lkl

December 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhondajo3

So, in other words, they HAD to promote someone who was of color even if they were not promotion worthy?????? THAT IS RACISM!!!!! That is moronic racism!! COME ON!!!! If ANY decision that anyone or any company or any college makes is solely based on the color of someone's skin, THAT IS RACISM!!!!!! Come on folks, when are we going to get this making decisions based on skin color BEHIND US!!! That is going BACKWARDS!!!!

December 8, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhondajo3

If Colin Powell would have RUN for president........(Dude, your English is terrible). BTW, Colin Powell's was the grandson of a wealthy Scottish landowner (Monroe family) whose family is still established prominently in Jamaica, and who married a Jamaican women. So, you see, Colin Powell is not any different from Obama, they both had white ancestors.

December 8, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • DeAnna Hinton

One of my great-grandfathers was a master of a plantation that raped a black female slave. Does that make me white, too? Ya'll kill me with that crap. If I walked up to you and said I was white because of this small fact, with my dark brown skin, you would laugh in my face.

December 9, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  48. maliksmama

That's funny as he!!. And so true!!!

December 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Beowulf

I don't care who's black in America. Congratulations CNN, you've polarized my opinion so that I now understand that me being white should take precedence over anything resembling a one nation/one people.

December 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • tnuc

Shakk what about all the black people in America who have defied that logic.Black business owners,collage grads,doctors,engineers.What about them....I think you just love to hate,relax life is short :D

December 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick Springfield

Blackness, levels thereof, heritage, diaspora and Afirmative Action are all interweeved like a tapestry. I'm a European caucasion male. I completed a degree in film in 2003 and had a great opportunity to take any university course for upper division electives as long as it dealth with film. Wow, my university was a treasure trove of film based classes such as: Women in Film, The Black Diaspora in Film, Black Violence in Film, World Geography through Film, Latin American Art Films, The African American Experience through Film. So, I was in a 5000 level class taught in the African American Studies program and we were having our usual in depth discussion of the Black experience in America. Then the professor decided it was time for her to get on her soapbox and let it roll. First of all, in regards to Afirmative Action, she was all for it. But there is an aspect most people do not see. Our university uses Afirmative Action in hiring decisions for tenure track faculty openings. Ok, thats all good but do you realize what so many universities are doing? They will send a head hunter to Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, etc to find an well educated African to hire under the Afirmative Action program. See the problem? You have hard working, highly educated, US born Black citizens who are wanting that chance at a tenure track job and the unviersity goes to Africa to get the candidate and uses AA to hire them. What exactly did Africa have to do with that partcular person being discriminated against in the USA when Black Americans had plenty of those experiences. Why does the university do this. The answer is simple, they love to hire a professor who is 1) thankful to have a decent job at a quality university, 2) has a foreign education and is not wrapped up in the negative American experience, and 3) will be much more likely to teach the univeristy approved cirriculum than to delve into tangent issues that very often tank the careers of tenure track professors in their first few years.

December 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Denise Rocha

Whats next?? Asians in America?? Soledad Obrien is an idiot.

December 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

There is only one race that cares what race they are and wants everyone else to care too. No other race cares as a whole. I've worked with all races and love them all the same. I think it is the "leaders" that keep a race caring about race, and quite honestly, no other race's leaders give a damn... which I think that is a big clue as to why it continues on. Please blacks, stop trying to make me care about "blackness". Obcess over something else.

December 8, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rlee

First off. Every black person doesn't care if you think about our race. We just want to be treated equally. I tend to find more white people want to remind me that I'm black, during conversations. And what I mean by that, always trying to bring up a conversation about someone black. Example, I'm upset about my doctors appt. A white lady comes over to me, and say it will be ok, then in the next breathe say, Obama hasn't really done anything for this country. WHAT THE HELL DID THAT HAVE TO DO WITH MY DOC APPT! REALLY!! I didn't care about politics. I was in pain and needed to see the doctor! Believe me its not the only story I have. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Stop trying to remind me of being black. I wear it everyday!!

December 9, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
      • John

When I have talked to chinese people and brought up China, just misc talking during a break, I'm sure they felt the same way, like why are you talking about China, is it because of how I look... yes, it is, but it's harmless talking. They in turn have asked me about various topics of being American... they just assumed I'm from America and not China... which they were correct. So it is common to do that, and blacks should not be so obcessed over common slight differences and cultural background topics when others don't know everything there is to know about those differences. It is not the big deal many blacks would hope for, judging by the number of articles meant to keep it going over the years.

December 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  51. NoRace

Scientifically speaking, 'Race' is an utter fantasy. There is only inbreeding. CNN seldom delves into what truly destroys us, namely class. Time and again, plutocrats use 'race' to divide and subjugate. When low/middle-class whites and low/middle-class blacks unite, then we might some changes.

I am neither 'white' nor 'black' nor 'mixed' (the most ridiculous notion of all), and I am an engineer in a manufacturing company. I am honorary 'white' and honorary 'black', so all my life I have heard the private conversations on both 'sides'. I've never understood how gullible people can be...it's a democracy and they have the numbers -together, not divided. They could take over this political system...

December 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Lexx

Racism is an integral part of white culture, just review the comments on this page by whites. Racism will only subside as whites become a smaller percentage of the population

December 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lord Vader

I know many smart black fathers who wait with their older daughters at bus stops so other black guys wont prey on them. Black people are more racist towards themselves than you wish white people to be. You yourself seem to be a racist so thanks for the continuance of the racism in this country!

December 8, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhondajo3

That is false, because as the racial divide turns in the other direction, there is and will be racism from blacks towards other races....it is happening even now...

December 9, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • debra

Discrimination exists for everyone. Ugly racist comments are online against whites too. Who cares. You will never change individual people. I've been discriminated against by men and blacks. So let's wish that the population of men and blacks lessen? Absolutely not. It's called life and will never change. Welcome to the real world. Because it isn't just about you. Blacks talk about it more, others don't. What's important is that the majority of people do not think that way and the world and government has changed. What you are experiencing now is equality, it's okay for other people to hate you for whatever stupid reason they have. They are trash and I just don't give them the time of day.

December 9, 2012 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  53. Lexx

Whites invented racism, and it is part of their culture.

December 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • nick

whoever the first person to ever see someone of a different race was the first racist, probably some 15000 years ago

December 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Perfect Truth

It is so sad that we live in a world which has moved further away from God, and consequently further away from the truth. For example, it is the epitome of ignorance for a person of dark skin color (African Americans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Taiwanese, etc) to think and assume that they're not Ethiopian, or have the nerve to say that they're not black. Trust me, they're black. Every one of them are of the same Ethiopian race…

The scriptures makes it very clear, there are only three races on the face of the earth: 1) Hebrews (the Jews and their descendants), 2) Ethiopian (all people of darkish skin color such as Africans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Taiwanese, etc), 3) and Gentiles (all people of whitish skin color such as Germans, Italians, Spanish, etc). Every person on the face of the planet falls into one of those three categories. And getting upset about it is not going to change anything. Furthermore, it was God who created race, not man. Man didn't have anything to do with it. So why waste your time and energy worrying about something you can't change and had nothing to do with. There is not a single person on the face of the planet who can change their skin color or the kind of race they are in, nor did they have anything to do with it – so why waste your time and energy dealing with it. And more importantly, why deal with other people as though they have anything to do with theirs…

December 8, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marilyn

@Perfect Truth – Where is your scientific evidence of the origin of the three races? There are many things in the Bible that have been proven to be untrue. All dark skinned humans originating from Ethiopia is one of them. Africa is a huge continent, as is Asia. It is time to read some science instead of ancient mystical writings that were written by people who knew nothing about the world as a whole, and subsequent interpreters who translated these writings to serve their own purposes in convincing the uneducated to blindly follow their teachings.

December 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhondajo3

Don't listen to Marilyn, that is Satan trying to convince you to turn away from God. What you have said is true. I have often wondered about it myself. The bottom line is that it doen't matter what color our skin is, what matters is how we treat others....

December 8, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  55. American23

Who cares?

December 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • teambuilder

Thank you American 23 I was scrolling down and was going to type the same response! Who REALLY FREAKIN CARES ANYMORE???? I have met absolute idiots from every race and I've met absolute awesome humans from every race. JUST LIVE AND TRY TO TO LOVE THOSE YOU CAN! This ship has sailed Soledad.

December 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  56. formercal

I don't understand Ms. Obrien. She herself is far from being black in America. Yet, she continue to parade herself as such, and she continue with these press accounts of race in America. I don't trust individuals like that. Rather than using her talent to promote intellectual development, she fosters this idea that her journalism promote the causes of African Americans in this Country. It does not. It merely recount, on every level, the subjugation suffered by blakcs in the past. What happened yesteryear happened then. It should be left alone. Give it a break Ms. Soledad Orien.

December 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • StephB

if she wasn't black she'd be unemployed. Think this airhead got hired based on qualifications??

December 8, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Zman1978

I love that people write articles like this, trying to get a rise out of people and segragating them. Articles are written like this to maintain peoples racists ways by making comments and such in the forums
    Why not ask the question of what its like to be white in America. O wait who cares about whites, lets stomp all over them

December 8, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Obama the White Messiah

Black is whatever I can use to win the love of millions and the destruction of all those who anger me.

December 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. AlphaMaryYankee

If folks keep differentiating race then racism will continue.

December 8, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Thor

Soldiers don't really care what is the color of the skin of the person putting their intestines back into their guts on the battlefield. Soldiers don't care who is helping them kill a tyrant. Sailors don't care who is helping them sink a tyrant ship. Seems that the most dangerous of our kind seems to not really care about any colors except Red, White, and Blue! Please don't check the box anymore.

December 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

When you "check the box" on the form, in a film, to your friends, to your family.... you promote racism. Just don't check the box. It will soon have no importance.... real soon.

December 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. doughnuts

You are the biggest racist in this thread.

December 8, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ryan Hennessy

I am a white male in my 40's. I was a student in a white neighborhood in the 80's in Boston. Bussing was still relatively new and whenever a fight between a Black and White happened the white people of the town would gather and sream racial slues and at times threw rocks at the school nuses carrying Black Students. I was one of those people. I am ashamed of myself for it and could hardly look a black person in the eye for many years. When I was in the military I unexpectedly became friends with a great man that happened to be black. We became best of friends and before long he introduced me to his friends and him to mine. One day I confessed to hi of the things I did to the students on those busses. He simply replied " Do you still feel that way or has our friendship changed your opinin, because this friendship sure changed mine" We are still best friends today and we still joke "He's Black and I'm White but we bo0th look alike" We still laugh every time. We are all the same, we feel the same pain and bleed the same blood and cry the same tears. CANT WE ALL JUSY GET ALONG

December 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Aubrey Campbell

Black in America-2012 – I am a 55 year old Black man who really feels good to be Black in America in 2012. Most people, White, Black,and Others believe President Barack Obama is the only true Black man in America. They are wrong. I am a modest, bootstrap, and no-nonsense type of guy who was a teenager during the Black Panther Movement. We use to say back then, "Say it Loud! I'm Black and I'm Proud!" and really mean it. I did alright...31 year career in the Federal government (20 years-military, 11 years-US DOT). Now, I work in corporate America as a senior advisor and own a business. Everyday, I thank God that the people around me realize my contributions as an intelligent and successful Black Man in America.

Yes, President Obama is at the top, but there are many more of us out here representing our people well. Young Black America, get yourselves some pride, Es Spirit De Corp, and backbone. It is time for you to hold up the blood stained banner representing future Black generations. We all have not made it yet...that's ok...its getting on the road that matters most.

December 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Saeed

Muslims are new black in America.

December 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Being Muslim is a choice (in America), being black isn't.

December 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ug

There are about a half million moslems in this country...less than the Native Americans in this country...nice try though.

December 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  65. P

I am proud to be a Black woman. I grew up with jim crow. I graduated from a Black College and proud of that also. I agree with Mr. Bullock racism is still here it will take more then just a few decades. But Blacks are improving everyday,months and years. We are very strong people

December 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • AsianAmerican

P, pls be advised, you should not talk about Racism. I met so many Black Racist than White Racist o.k. I'm AsianAmerican and I can blend in w/White than w/Black. All the Black people out there should be more compassion toward others races, because you been thru a lot of hard times. If I walk thru a Black neighborhood I will get killed or beat up, and if I walk thru a white neighborhood, I only get stop by a police. I rather stop by a cop.

December 10, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Willie Duitt

First of all, not all Black neighborhoods are the same. Second, if I walk through a White neighborhood, I'll get beaten or killed...by the cop! You've convinced yourself that what you see on tv about Black neighborhoods is reality just as I've convinced myself the same about White neighborhoods. Oh, and yes, despite your criticism of Black and White neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods know gang activity just as well as any others, Sir. So, what happens when you walk through one of them?

December 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ben

I live in Philadelphia. Black or white and lived or worked here I Will guarantee a black AA will rob you or a family member. And that's no.lie!

December 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  67. yo mama

what is being white in america, or asian or native american for that matter?? it is your physical traits and culture...not which peers decide to accept of reject you.

December 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Loki

Rename this story to "Who is obnoxious in America".

December 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Justin

The blacks obviously.

December 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • nick

well thats mean

December 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • skipfrmdc

...and Justin.

December 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  70. flordiasboy

The only question is "....are you white?" The "one drop of blood" theory has been the norm for centuries, interracial breeding has always been looked down on and always will be, no matter how many hollywood honeys get knocked up by brotherman. The precentage of white to black women having mixed offspring is an example of it. Black males don't raise children they just cause them, the prison system takes up the slack.

December 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trey

I am a black man. I am raising my my 5 year old daughter with my white wife. I think if you make a blanket statement about all of one race its pretty unintelligent. I could say that all white men are racist. But I dont because I know YOU are the racist one in front of me right now. Not every white man is a racist. Not every black person is whatever stereotype you want them to be. Your evil and hatred will come back to you. One day a snap judgement based on perception will cause great harm to you or someone you love. Then you will know how it feels to be black in one small way.

December 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  71. The Veteran

Those that think they are black have bought into the lie that "black" is a race. There is no "black" race or "white" race. There is the human race. The sooner we realize this, the better for the whole world. It will force us to look at all people as our neighbors, as unlike ourselves.

Wise up people, and quit arguing over something that isn't even real!!!

December 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark R.

Yeah! That is it... When you buy into a 'race' you are forgetting the bigger picture. We all live here. Are bodies are the same, work the same. Skin color is not different then hair color or eye color. It is a way that those who pull the strings and do not WANT us to be one and be strong to think. If you focus on color and race you are not focused on being successful and/or accomplishing what you set your mind to. This article is racist for the simple fact it was written. The author should have spent his time on why we are the same, why those lines of separation need to be erased.

December 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  72. ALAN FISCHER

I am proud to be white–I work–my money goes to the ones who do not want to work

December 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shakk

Most of that money is going to the white ones.
      White people, get yourselves together? Where's Billy, Jerry, and Pat?

December 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jeff

Visit your local WalMart to learn more about black America.

December 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mark R.

Why does this matter? Is it really worth an article? How about being White in America? Or Hispanic? Seriously...? Stop focusing on what color someone's skin is and start focusing on WE Americans – ALL OF US! You can and will go as far as YOU want, but only YOU can get there. Any obstacles in your way are the same but different obstacles others face. What is the same but different? You figure it out because it is different for each. They MAY be the same but are different could be one way to look at it. To blame the color of your skin for your failures or successes is ignorant. There are very successful 'black' people who do not see themselves as 'black' but human and Americans so the color of their skin does not become an issue to them or anyone else. There is racialism on all sides, but to let that stop your success is your failure.

December 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  75. myka

First of all we are Americans you only say AA when talking about a certian group. Amount to something....news flash most white people are not super succesfull either. Wow the internet gives voices to so much garbage.

December 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Githm

It feels like white people don't like a lot of things about black people. It feels like there's an elephant in the room and many Americans are uncomfortable talking about it. It feels like we are all supposed to be on the same page but we aren't and aren't supposed to be. It feels like we are still on the road to somewhere else. It feels like I am black in America.

December 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I feel bored from reading your comment.

December 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Talon

stop being so dramatic. The America we live in today is a much improved America than the one Martin Luther King Jr. lived in, and quite honestly I think he along with any other non-white of that era would have jumped at the chance to enjoy the America we live in today

December 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Githm

So...when does the show, "Who is White in America" come on?

December 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Never! That would be racist.

December 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Veteran

It is easy. Nobody is white. They don't exist.

December 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  78. MomGrandma

When you are mullato and call yourself Black, that is a lie, and using it for political gain, that is a lie. The blanket term 'African-American' does not include South America, the Caribbean, so what should they call themselves? It's okay to extol where you have come from, but our individual character and the yearning to reach makes us Great Americans.

December 8, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • doughnuts

The term African-American also doesn't include American citizens who were born on the African continent, if they happen to be Caucasian.

For example: Charlize Theron.

December 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  79. NorCalMojo

Do people really sit around worrying about this sort of thing?

If this is what passes for introspection then they're going to spend their entire lives oblivous to the real reasons people don't like them.

December 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jeff

My take on black America is that they should stop talking during movies.

December 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  81. OregonTom

I can tell who is not black, Soledad O'brian.

December 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  82. MrRolco

I would say about 85 to 90% are black

December 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Chris

Blacks and self-hating white liberals constantly opine on how talented and brilliant blacks are. In that case, why are millions of them swarming into the UK to live off unearned social welfare benefits funded by the white captive tax-slaves, instead of staying in Africa to make it a beacon of sublime wonderfullness that thei black folk's supposed talent could so easily make it ? (that is, if you actually believe black liberal and 'race industry' propaganda).

December 8, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • The Veteran

What you just said does not have a lick of truth in it. Utter rubbish.

December 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Chris

"Who is black in America" ? I am not in America and the last time I looked in a mitrror I was not black so please please exclude me.

December 8, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  85. Meena

Color is a positive identifier and never a negative. Racism is the only thing that drives the hate and prejudice Americans still experience. I am proud to be brown and know it is beautiful: every other shade of skin is beautiful too At age 40, I love othes no matter what their color because there is only one race; the human one.

December 8, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Yeah but between you and me, you'd rather be white right?

December 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Githm

hahaha...Jeff, you so crazy girl!

December 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Richard

Good people come in all colors... So do jerks

December 8, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

But "bad people" is a set like Sickle Cell Anaemia sufferers. "Bad People" seem to be more over-represented in one race than in others.

December 8, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  87. Tyrone, Schenectady,NY

The Republican party is a dying breed your all white club is on the verge of becoming an American afterthought!

December 8, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  88. billiamhe

The "black race?" The "white race?" The "yellow race?" The "red race?"
    Whenever someone wants a fast car they tend to vote on the red one... so does that mean native americans are superior?
    Here is a novel idea. Let's stop segregating eachother by color and face facts, it is the "Human Race." Just because one group has adapted to be better suited to live in a land where their countless ancestors lived does not make them either superior or vastly different in the grand scheme of things. We all have the same organs, we all require the same basic needs, and there are both good and bad people of every color, creed, and whatnot. I am not the color of my skin, I am the cut of my jib and the culmination of my actions. I am human, you are human. Let's all stop cutting eachother down and nitpicking our differences and start finding common ground in order to feed and clothe the generations to come.

December 8, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Ped

Super excellent!!

December 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo818

Bingo – you hit it right on the head. Drop the poor -me act and get to work.

December 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  89. SilentObserver

Simply put, you keep seeking approval because the AA culture (as a whole) hasnt earned it. How about trying to make big on main stream academia, on science, education, private enterprise,s etc, instead of sports and entertainment?

December 8, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Geo

That is the problem we have made it big in all those areas try Google for each one and learn what your history teachers failed to tell you and what every generation of under educated black students has to learn from another black person

December 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Marc

In today's American society, anyone who makes less then around 40k a year is black.... Wage/debt slavery is the new slavery. It's just convenient for the media to keep people divided by publishing articles like this to fuel stupidity based hatred.

December 8, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone, Schenectady,NY

exactly Marc you hit it on the head. There are numerous whites that consider themselves in the same boat as blacks.

December 8, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  91. SilentObserver

In my 10+ years in the service business, I have my fair share encounters with African Americans. While I have met quite a few progressive minded AA, whom earned every respect they deserve, unfortunately I have seen too many young AA who were angry, non-progressive, and downright absurd thinking they will make big on life without needing to work hard. After all these years I am beginning to think it is the parents that need to be kicked in their butt for raising kids without preparing them to live their lives. If AA keep souring on past racism and refuse to move on and move out, then do not blame anyone but yourself for failing to set an example for your next generation. Racism, reversed racism, exists in all fabrics of society. But it is YOU who will decide what difference to make of your life.

December 8, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  92. AmericanOne

I am American. Both of my parents are from families that have been here since the Mayflower and earlier. They did not care about race and freely loved and wed who they wanted, no matter what race. Yes I am of mixed race. European, black, asian, american indian, india indian, siberian, american. I am not owed anything. From the beginning, all races have enslaved each other, conquered each other. Doesn't matter what race, they all did it. Ultimately, for those who are in denial, we all stem from a few women in Africa. Don't believe it? Take a DNA test, then start working on your family tree. Oh you also might read a book by Sitchen and set your mind a wondering.

December 8, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Two thumbs up

December 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Red

Lol!!!!! I love responses like the two above. One sentence long hate. Because they know damn well what they just read is 100% true. "IfYouWantTheTruth", you just read the truth. You mad? Yep. LOL!!!!!

December 8, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  94. Tyrone, Schenectady,NY

47 years 47years 47 years is all the time a. Lack person can say they have been considered equal and could vote in America. We haven't even reached mid life crisis time and you whites act like we were always on equal footing. 47 years to change the destroyed mindset placed upon lacks from racial terrorism. None of you whites have ever had to Sita d listen to your elders tell yOu how they feared walking in the front of a store, or how second hand they felt having to be called out of name and have no right to respond without fear Of getting whipped or hung. Hanging and burning blacks I town squares with children there training the next generation to continue the hate!

December 8, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • SB

Tyrone, it's been 142 years since the 15th Amendment was passed in 1870 and prohibited the denial of a (male) citizen the right to vote based on that citizen's "race, color, or previous condition of servitude" not 47 years

December 8, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Tyrone, Schenectady,NY

Of course you leave out Jim Crow!

December 8, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
      • Blakrepublic

How many of those blacks were treated fair ? Let's see Jim Crow laws and the KKK prevented blacks from being considered normal citizens. So his point still stands.

December 8, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  95. scoobyhseer

How many whites say they want to live in a black neighborhood?

December 8, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  96. scoobyhseer

I think the blacks in Africa are challenged to engage in self rule. The blacks in America are more hostile and inclined to point to history as the cause of their plight, in contrast to any other non-white demographic.

December 8, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  97. ehamgrams

I think "yes" and "no" should be added as options on forms that gather personal information on race. I didn't come with a pedigree.

December 8, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  98. 200 TON HAMMER

Read Acts chapter 21:38 paul looked Egpytian.or black paul was a shemite hebrew isrealite who spoke greek latin hebrew..

December 8, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • 200 TON HAMMER

HEBREWISMS OF WEST AFRICA by joseph j.williams

December 8, 2012 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • 200 TON HAMMER

Gary morgan and george washington carver,are desendents of slaves.who invented gas mask traffic light madame cj walker the hot comb these are Hebrew Isrealites kombiYAH my lord kombiYAH

December 8, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
    • 200 TON HAMMER

TRANSATLANTIC SLAVE ROUTES started out of west africa my desendents came out of ghana goldcoast singing kombiYAH who spoke Hebrew

December 8, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • 200 TON HAMMER

Do research on the word YAHOODEE, really research it its talking about black slaves who sing kombiYAH,as Arabs Hamites knew the times of Deuteronomy chapter 28:68

December 8, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  99. 200 TON HAMMER

Deut 28:68 I will bring you back too egpyt in chains well just look at washington momument in washington DC

December 8, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  100. Ohbehave

If you replaced the word "black" with "white" in this article, it would be considered hard core, David Duke KKK type racist writing.
    Yes, there is racism, but there is a new shade of skin under those white sheets...... And this time, they enjoy massive approval and encouragement! (From the media and most of us)
    Regardless, white folks are vanashing. They arent reproducing enough and are dwindling quickly. We wont be your obsessed "problem" for long. I think we'll be missed......desperately.

December 8, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • 200 TON HAMMER

DNA DONT LIE, why are so many Europeans are in Africa Hamite Lands and Shemite Hebrew Speaking blacks

December 8, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • doughnuts

When looking at the species as a whole, whites have always been a minority. It has only been during the last 500 years or so that they have had a disproportionate influence.

December 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |