December 7th, 2012

Soledad O'Brien: Who is black in America? I am

Editor's Note: In today’s United States, is being black determined by the color of your skin, by your family, by what society says, or something else? Soledad O’Brien reports “Who Is Black in America?” on CNN at 8 p.m. ET/PT this Sunday, December 15.

By Yaba Blay and Soledad O'Brien, CNN

(CNN) - Yaba Blay, Ph.D. created the (1)ne Drop Project, a multiplatform endeavor that hopes to challenge perceptions of black identity. Blay, a consulting producer for "Who Is Black in America?" spoke to hundreds of those who may not immediately be recognized as "black" based on how they look, including CNN Anchor Soledad O'Brien.  In this edited excerpt from her forthcoming book, Blay spoke to O'Brien about what makes a person black, and why the conversation is important.

Yaba Blay: How do you identify? Racially and culturally?

Soledad O'Brien: I’m black. I’m Latina. My mom is Cuban. Afro-Cuban. My dad is white and Australian. And I think because of my job, often a question like "How do you identify?" is really not about the question. It’s always "What side are you on?" "What perspective do you bring?"

Blay: I remember when "Black in America" first came out, and a lot of people being like “Who is she and why is SHE doing this?”

O'Brien: I think it’s a valid question. I think every question is valid. I just don’t think there should be a rule like “Oooh that is the question that shall not be asked.” I’m happy to answer any question. And I think also there is sometimes a hostility in that question. Especially around "Black in America." You know, “Who are you that gets to tell our story?” And I understand that, too.

You know, white people really have a luxury in that they get a range of stories, that they’re not defined by five stories. So I think that the difference with "Black in America" was the filter did matter. That there are only going to be five stories and we want to know exactly who you are and what your credentials are to be telling our story. And I don’t think you can do documentaries and opt out of the conversation. You know, it’s not “Well you know that’s about them, not about me.”

I think what I love about the documentary process is that you bring yourself to the documentary. And hopefully that makes you ask good questions and hopefully that makes you reveal a little bit about yourself as well.

Blay: Have you had that experience of people asking you, “What are you?”

O'Brien: Oh my God yes! All the time. People tweet me that question. I used to take great offense – like immediately sort of get annoyed, partly because I don’t think that came from a very good place. I think I read it as sort of questioning my value and reasons for being wherever I was. But now I think it’s twofold: one, I think that because I’m a journalist, people are really just trying to understand - "You’re somebody I see on TV, but I don’t know you in person so who are you?" Then, two, I think that part of my job as a journalist is to educate people about stories in a way and some of these stories I’m part of that story.

I think I was part of "Black in America" even in the context of who is the filter of the story and so it became relevant, so I really stopped hating answering that question because I felt like my job is to elaborate and explain for people who I am. I think it’s relevant. I think because of the reporting that I do I sort of owe people that answer.

Blay: So why do you think the questions are coming? Why are there questions about why Soledad is doing "Black in America?"

O'Brien: Some of it is physical presentation. I think that some of it was that I’d been anchoring shows that weren’t dealing specifically with African-Americans so it was kind of like "What are your politics? What’s your perspective? Who are you?" I think sometimes it’s as straightforward as that.

At screenings for "Black in America" I’ve heard people say, “Well you know I never thought you were black until you did Katrina and then I thought you were black.” And I’d say, “That’s so fascinating. What was it that made you think I was black?” And then someone else would say, “Yeah, but she’s married to a white man.” And I’m like "OK, so does that make me less black and how in your mind does that math work? That there’s a certain number and if you get below that number because you get points for who you marry and you lose points for where you live and how you speak?"

But even just going back to the questions consistently, I thought it was just illuminating. I thought it was just so fascinating to really open up a conversation about race. Now we’re up to "Black in America 5" and we’re having that conversation.

Blay: So what makes a person black?

O'Brien: I certainly don’t think it’s skin color. And I certainly don’t think it’s how well you speak the language. And I’m not sure I can answer that question thoroughly because my consciousness about race was really implanted in me by my parents. I would say I’m black because my parents said I’m black. I’m black because my mother’s black. I’m black because I grew up in a family of all black people. I knew I was black because I grew up in an all-white neighborhood. And my parents, as part of their protective mechanisms that they were going to give to us made it very clear what we were.

My mother would say, “Do not let anybody tell you you’re not black. Do not let anybody tell you you’re not Latina.” And I remember thinking her comments were so weird, like "What is she talking about?" There weren’t people coming over to my house saying “You’re not black!” We stuck out!

But now I understand what she was going for. And I am very grateful for those conversations because I think it implants in your head sort of the perspective that my parents wanted us to have. We were raised that way in a place that was often not particularly hospitable and sometimes out and out hostile to people of color. I guess my parents taught me very early that how other people perceive me really was not my problem or my responsibility. It was much more based on how I perceived me.

soundoff (1,456 Responses)
  1. KSettle

Looking at the comments and some of the names, you can almost tell what year they were born. If you're not a minority, most likely you are not inclined or interested in what people who don't look like you have to say, flashback to Respublican Convention. If you don't want to learn about different people, don't watch, but why criticize those who want to tell the story.

December 7, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. snowdogg

"Race" can be used for preferential treatment.

December 7, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

This story is so lame. I am Cuban 100% from the island and there is not such a thing as an Afro-Cuban in the island, you are either Cuban or something else, first time in 50 years I hear the expression Afro-Cuban, come on give me a break..

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

because it's how you are perceived by america. As society we don't see Halle Berry as white because she looks black. Same with the President. He looks like a full blooded black man with no ounce of white in him even though he is half white and half black.

December 7, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Steve

It's as though this country has a race gene. Tiger Woods is half black through his father and half Thai through his mother. Most Americans regard him as black. Why choose that? Halle Berry is mixed but regarded as black. Same with the President. Why isn't President Obama regarded as white via his mothers genetic contribution?

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • JamesT

Bob Marley was also half white! Isn't it amazing?

December 7, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve D

No. Not really.

December 7, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scott

My wife is bi-racial mixed (black/white) and she self-identifies as black. Her response to this is: "If I can walk down the street and have to wonder if someone is going to call me the N Word then I'm black."

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

That's how I see it, as a proective measure.

December 7, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

It's true. You can't be White if you're not the real deal. You can't be something that you're not. As long as you have that Black hanging on you, you are not White

December 7, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • tljwhdj

My 10-year old granddaughter (Mom white, Dad black) has experienced this at her tender age. Both of their children are being raised as Americans first and they are exploring BOTH of their heritages. They live in central VA and they are constantly faced with racism on the whole as a family. Both parents would prefer that the color of their skin NOT be the focal point of their lives.

December 7, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Thomas Gibbons

The question should be: Who cares who is black, white or any other color??? Do and Be whatever you want and DON'T let any of this foolishness stop you!!!!!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

It is easy to say "be who you want to be" but race plays a factor in how people around you will LET you be what you want to be. It is getting easier to do what you suggest but, let's face it, if you are a white male you have far less roadblocks and extra difficulties impeding your dream.

December 7, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
      • fred

Are you high?

If you are a young white male now you have everything against you. Those guys are paying teh price now with reverse racism. Are you not aware of affirmative action in the work place, the race planning going on at universities around the country where they keep out qualified students to ensure diversity!!!

December 7, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

No offense but only a complete fool would think being a white male is any way beneficial to the average person. Perhaps it is on the higher end of the pay scale.. but that wouldn’t affect very many people now would it?

December 7, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
      • CC

Agreed, I personally deal with compensation in the work place and ensuring that all races and genders are paid equitably. I can tell you without a doubt that WHITE MALES ALWAYS are paid more unless the business is minority or female owned and then that 100% probability drops to about 80%. Even with lower degrees experience and skills WhITE MALES are afforded more opportunity to grow economically in America. So skin does matter to other white people who make wage decisions and I will bet that race matters in many other aspects of life even if ppl try to deny it or belittle those who acknowledge it. WHITE males are not losing jobs to unqualified minorities its a myth and it has no real proof. Many more minorities lose opportunities because of their skin tone even with companies taking AFFRIMATIVE STEPS to eliminate barriers against ppl of color.

December 7, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
      • fred

So CC you have a sample size of one company you work for; congratulations.

I hire poeple at my work place and currently have a minority working for me that is just out of college being paid exactly the same as a white male that has an advanced degree and tons more experience. Quit your belly aching.

December 7, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • gwedwards

IMO because it's easy for liberals to judge people objectively by the color of their skin. It's challenging to judge people by the content of their character, especially after you've been told all of your life that there are no absolutes and no person can be evil.

I've found that conservatives really don't care what color, race, ethnicity, gender, etc a person is. OTOH, liberals are very interested in those characteristics and they've convinced people that not caring is the problem.

December 7, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

As moderate independent raised in the south surrounded by an overwhelming majority of conservatives I can confidently say…you are delusional. Liberals often go overboard in trying to make things ‘fair’ and this bring in race of course. But the VAST majority of racist are conservatives. Both white AND black.

December 7, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. snowdogg

So beyond using "race" as personal identification.

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. gwedwards

Black American or African-American.

If restricted to those two choices, I'll always pick AA. Why? Because that describes me better than a color.

If I'm not limited to those two options, then I'm an American.

December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Works for you but I recall dating a girl from Jamaica who hated the term African-American. She would say: "I'm not African. I'm not American. I'm Jamaican! And my skin is black!"

December 7, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
      • gwedwards

If she was Jamaican, then of course she'd hate being called AA.

December 7, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. hseer

CNN is obsessed with making sure we all know who is black and who is gay and providing each a dedicated forum to pontificate.

Can't we all just be Americans? Good grief.

December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Because that's not realistic. Take a journey through the rural south. Not as much has changed as you might think.

December 7, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Kristin

Live in the South and you'll find more has changed than you think. It's far from perfect, but it's too easy to pick out what you want to see if you don't immerse yourself in the culture every day.

December 7, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. AlongTheWay

Good grief. What about White in America? Asian? American Indian??????? Why is CNN OBSESSED with Black in America? Tired of hearing it. Move on.

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I don't think they are. Condie Rice mused that America has a race gene in its culture that just won't go away. Colin Powell agreed with her. I do as well. I believe the treatment received by our president has a lot more to do with him being black than him being a democrat. He said "A lot of people were overjoyed at his election because they thought we (as a country) where finally on top of the race issues. He said "I never bought into that"" It keeps coming up beccause this country has a long long way to go in the matter of race.

December 7, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. 2EL8

If they were in Canada, would they still be black?

December 7, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

They would be Canadian . I'm born in Canada , therefore i'm Canadian . If your born in the USA , YOUR American !! Who cares about your skin color ! Be proud of your country and proud to say your American or Canadain .

December 7, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. danita

You're what your blood makes you. The word "black" if for the USA. So many white people have black, indian, and some other blood. The question should be who is white in America? Laughter from a half indian...

December 7, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone,Schenectady NY

lmao see for whites it was by choice but for millions of blacks it was by FORCE! Just like a Republican to make such an assimine comment. I feel for the Indians but unlike blacks you have been compensated for your persecutions. Need I mention Mohegan Sun!

December 7, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
      • Tesla

Exactly, Tyrone! You were FORCED into slavery... by your own people. Who then traded you to white explorers for shiny things. The vast majority of African slaves were pulled this way. Now, who was taken on a racial basis by force to be slaves... Oh yeah! Europeans were taken by Moors to be slaves...

If every single person looks back in their history, they can find their culture enslaved by another for an extended period of time. Get over it.

December 7, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. juice2305

As much as i hate to say this, i have to agree with some of the comments above. Why does Soledad always do these Black this and Black that reports. At a time when we should be doing everything we can to bring the races together, I don't see how that is helping.

And did she describe herself as Black? What is Afro-Cuban? Sounds to me like she is Cuban and White. And not Black at all. I think she just WANTS to be black. Enough is Enough Soledad

December 7, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone,Schenectady NY

top it the whole Republican doctrine was race baiting this past election. Your leader Romney solidified it with his gifts comment. You whites use race since the beginning of America as your power tool now your numbers are going down you want race to be obsolete!

December 7, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • JamesT

My dog, who I love and adore is a very large snow dog. Her father was a pure Alaskan malamute. Her mother was a lab/Shepard mix. I suppose that if there was some new laws instated that would favor and benefit Labs here in America, I would start telling everyone that she too was a Lab. After all, it would appear that in the PC arena, one quarter of your heritage is enough enough to cancel out the rest these days, right?

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I think the issue keeps coming up because it's real. Any young black person in the rural south (just to select an area) can vouch for that.

December 7, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

Juice2305, you don't make sense. Soledad knows her ethnicity. Who are you to say she is not Black?? What are you??? I enjoy the programs that Soledad brings to CNN. Maybe you could learn that you don't define who she is, Soledad defines who she is!!!!!!! You and your friends should watch the programs, and learn something!!!!!

December 7, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gary

now*

December 7, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. stove

Oh no the best category has to be minority. MINORITY? in the USA ? MINORITY??? Who is not in a minority when the time is ripe for the finger pointing. There are no physical set minority zones. They are created through ignorance and our Burger King/Pepsi driven media..

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone,Schenectady NY

no man driven by the USA the minority is he same population the USA once would state is only 3/5 of a man. Listen the history is not too far gone. GTFOH like its racial utopia now!!!!!'n

December 7, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • danita

The true Americans are the Indians. Don't know why white people think it's themselves and everyone else is a minority.

December 7, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. Gary

If you bring up race, I dismiss your argument entirely. Whether I agree with it or not, why? Because if you cannot make your points without resorting to race then you have failed to see what this country is all about. We have not elected a black president twice, so please drop all the race card crap and judge topics, and issues on their merit, not their color.

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • grichard1956

I totally agree with your point. Why is race always mentioned in news stories. It should be a non-issue. Report the event and not the color.

December 7, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

Obama is not black, he is half European and half African.

My husband is part African, but has only a few facial features and his skin color is white. I am white and Asian, and look mixed or Hispanic (which I am not), and two of my kids look 100% white. I get mistaken for their nanny sometimes and once a teacher mistook a kid who look like me (dark with dark hair and dark eyes) for my child – my son is blond and blue eyed.

This is all bullcrap and divides people. The whole idea of "passing" is based on physical appearance mattering more than lineage. And that just proves that we all are the same, and no one should be judged on their appearance.

If you look at the presidential debates, you'll notice that Romney's "orange" skin tone was much darker than Obama's skin tone – so I guess that means Romney must be a minority and Obama is not?

December 7, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  17. DebbieW

It is so sad that we elected a president based on him being black and not on his ability to lead. So I guess anyone that wants to get a mindless liberal to vote for them or love them will claim to be black.

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • stwebb

Thank God Herman Cain lost...

Thank God Allen Keyes lost...

Thank God, well you get the drift!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • dottie

Mindless? Harvard Review Board. Oh eah we had Gbush Jr and he was totally brilliant lol. I voted on issues. I am one of those 47 percenters. AAction? How did Bush get into Harvard.

December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

We didn't – you just didn't vote for him because you think he is black.

He is multiracial, and I believe that electing a multiracial president is much more important, and represents many more people, than electing a president who has no non-African lineage.

December 7, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  18. jay

gotta be kidding me CNN

December 7, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Cat

Really. I don't get it either. I believe its all for statistics. Any oppressive and radical group will pursue and tutor for the sake of their race. Soledad O'Brien can claim whatever race she wants to, but, being 1/4 black -1/4 cuban and half white would be pushing it. She is just as beautiful, intelligent, sofisticated, educated as the next famous person, white/black/yellow/red/brown.

December 7, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  19. FGTV

Racism will never die because black people will never let it die. If racism were to die out it would take away easy street and the excuses. This is why you see crap like this on CNN as well as other news outlets. Black people want racism to stay in the minds of every non-black person on the planet. They want it there so they can use it as soon as something don't go their way.

December 7, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • stwebb

Then we'll just hate someone else!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • stwebb

They're less than 15% of the population...

Even cnn caters to a TARGET group...

How's life at the trailer park???

December 7, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

That is a pretty ridiculous argument and, truthfully, nothing more than closet racism/ignorance. I am sure that black people would be overjoyed if racism vanished. They are not the ones who are keeping it going. Do some black people contribute to racism? Sure they do. But they are not why it continues. It's because of the more ignorant portion of the white population.

I'm white. I like to think I have little racism (in fact, my wife is black). And I see racial ignorance coming from all sorts of people. But, really now. Who benefits from racism? White people.

December 7, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. Todd

Can't imagine how people blast FoxNews here. CNN is just as bad or worse. Nobody cares about this stupid crap.

December 7, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • stwebb

Thanks for replying to this crap...

I think entertainment news is crap...

Let me find it and post over there!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Todd

Your right! I just wish there was a place to get real news. My local news is exactly the same as CNN. Everything is a race issue.

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. cnnlicksit

What a pathetic use of the race card by her to be relevant again.

December 7, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. DC

I'm Red, White and Blue BABY!!!!! USA USA USA USA!!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • stwebb

I'll bet your office is too...

In fact cnn, look at your own newsroom for proof!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  23. Godbody

I suspect all the people who are "tired" of this issue are "white" people. How convenient to live in a system where you get privilege just for being a "white" person. If I got lots of advantages over 90% of the earths population just because of my race I probably wouldn't want to draw attention to it either. Because a lot of people probably wouldn't like that...... People might try to figure out a way to remove these unfair, undeserved advantages that "white" people get just for being "white". And what advice do "white" people have victims of racism(vor)?..... Oh stop talking about it. Get over it. It will all work itself out.......yea right........ Sounds like a plan.......

December 7, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • JamesT

Like affirmative action?

December 7, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Godbody

Is this a joke? Are you a white person?

December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

We have a black president. He worked his way to the most powerful man in the world in a country where the population is 60% white. If you want to succede in this country you can. Stop making excuses!

December 7, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • AlongTheWay

Yep. And according to census reports... will be the new minority and will one day soon reap all of the rewards of being a minority. Get over it or get used to the old minorities...no longer being the minorities.

December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Facepalm

I suspect that people who continue to dwell on superficial perceptions of skin color instead of focusing on a person's actions and merits and how they contribute to their community are those who use it to exploit it to their own benefit.

December 7, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • BobLoblaw

What privilege? This isn't Virginia 1859. It's not even Miami 1950. My best friend is black. I am white. We went to the same schools, got the same grades, went into the same profession and today we even get to work together. The difference? I have $100,000 in student debt and he has none. I'll let you guess why. I guess that's just my "privilege."

December 7, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
      • brob1971

What do your parents do? How much money do they make? What do your friends parent do? How much do you hink they make? .....This could be a reason for your student loans and it virtually its impossible to graduate with any loans

December 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • my 2 cents

i agree with you but you know they want us to forget what happened in the past so they can continue to do what they've been doing. forgive but don;t forget. they act like the spouse that cheats and gets caught and the moment the other person brings up the past they get defensive and say get over it and i don;t want to hear it.they hate that they can;t erase what happened so they try to erase it by not letting ppl talk about it. I think we should talk about it until we can heal and are in a better place to get passed it. i can;t forgive someone when all they do is say you should forgive me,no i will forgive when i am ready and you can;t be offended when i take longer than you want me to get passsed the pain.

December 8, 2012 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  24. Facepalm

You people (you CNN people) need to quit encouraging racism.

December 7, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  25. rs1201

Soledad O'Brien should definitely not call herself a "journalist". She's a biased person who allows her personal prejudices color her reporting and her interviews. All one has to do is look at her interview of former Mayor R. Guiliani before the election. She was angry, rude, and totally biased. I'm really surprised that CNN did not reprimand her for allowing her personal prejudices come through. It says a lot about CNN.

December 7, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  26. CryingFoul

Is this true? Obama is half white half black and he is ashamed of his white inheritage that is why he calls himself black.

December 7, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • stwebb

I've got to go to foxnews.com and read this...

I had no idea, and didn't even care...

How could he favor his stronger half???

December 7, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Bull Chips

No, he's actually fighting ignorance by asking the question. Why don't you come down off your high horse and answer it?

December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  27. Eddie Haskell

Soledad is full of crap. she is white!! she just wants affirmative blacktion!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bull Chips

Who's black in America? Well, that's a silly pointless question. Who's NOT black? Soledad Obrien, that's who!

December 7, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone,Schenectady NY

so now it's cool to be black? I wish you all would have had this mindset pre 1965 you are a bunch of fake people.

December 7, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Bull Chips

I'M fake? That's laugh riot. I'm not the one falsely claiming to be black in a pathetic attempt to further my pathetic fading career! ROFLMAO!!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • LesMoore

She's 1/2 white, 1/4 Cuban, 1/4 African – and THAT makes her black? It just isn't fashionable to be white.

December 7, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Bull Chips

BINGO! You just hit the nail right on the head. It's not POPULAR to be white these days.

December 7, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Jonathon Mack

The ignorance, and hatred by SOME whites on this board is pathetic!!! In case you did'nt know, in a America since before the times of slavery, that with ONE DROP of BLACK BLOOD in you, you are no longer Black!!! So YES our president is BLACK. Tiger Woods is BLACK. Solidad is BLACK. In fact, up to 90% of southern whites have BLACK BLOOD flowing through their vains!! I hope no idots head explode with this information.

Note: Whites created the racial enviornment in this Country, now have the nerve to complain about it!!

December 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. BIGWILL20019

You do realize that there are more WHITE people on Welfare and received Food Stamps....but then, I guess if Rush tells you something, you believe it....lol

December 7, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  30. ross in dallas

it's pearl harbor day. does any real american remember that? or am i alone?

December 7, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Bull Chips

We're not allowed to remember it as it happened. You see, Pearl Harbor was OUR fault! We brougt it upon ourselves because we are racists. At least that's what Tom Hanks claims...

December 7, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

The flag is at half-mast at my (large) company.

December 7, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. rs1201

Blacks should realize that their "one drop rule" is reminiscent of the nazi rules when it came to deciding who was a Jew. How about having the rule that says that it doesn't matter what color you are as long as you're a decent human being. The rule should address the comportment of the person towards their fellow human beings. What does it matter what color your skin is if you're a monster of a person...who hurts other people...who steals...and who just does harm to everyone.
    Blacks and white would do well to concentrate on their behavior and how they treat their fellow human beings. Being black...white...or pink polka dots...should be the last, if at all, consideration.

December 7, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Evan

The one drop rule isn't a black thing, it's a white thing...

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Bull Chips

Wrong. It's a ridiculous thing employed by multiple races for multiple reasons. All of which are also ridiculous.

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jonathon Mack

rs1201: White supremist America made the rules, Blacks, and indians were forced to abide by them. Until we revolted aginst them!!

December 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • my 2 cents

i agree with you,its some babies in here that cry when they don;t win at the game they created.that is sad as hell when you lose at your own game

December 8, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  32. Samuel

Oky. I am black and American ! Who cares who is black in America ? I watch CNN, FOX and others news for news. Not these special that have been doen before ! How would we feel if we asked who is white in America ! I knwo there are still problems in America. But CNN need to report the news...an how many Who is Black in America Soledad is going to do....? Hell she is so black now...! Just the news please ! And air the special at night !

December 7, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Clemcon

O'Brien lost credibility with me when she mentioned she was married to a white guy.

December 7, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Janice

How silly of you then to click on and read this article. And THEN post a comment.

December 7, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mr.Davidson

Modern Humans evolved on the Northern European continent ,hence , developing genetic diversity of multi color eyes hair ecetera including the enlargement of the cranium for greater brain capacity ,hence intelligence to create tools metallurgy ect. There exist today definite differences between the African genome and that of the caucasion predominately in the blood also. When the US government funded the human genome sequencing project many scientific differenciations were discovered some pertaining to the HIV virus and why Africans are infected 90% more than others.The US government prevented publication of the facts because some of the discoveries were considered to be socially unnaceptable .

December 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • dottie

Causian genes are not dominant. You should know that. Don't you think its weird how AIDS showed up n Africa.

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • CC

The things you speak of have not been proven and further where is your research proof? You need that before making claims of racial superiority ... News flash ALL WHITE PPL CAME FROM AFRICANS.... POINT BLANK PERIOD. Yes ur a mutation but the fact is there is no older race ... so lets stop acting like whites are so superior in intelligence. You are only superior because you have suppressed African Amercians for 100s of years and destroyed all fundamental necessities for their success. NOw everybody should forget, as if Jim Crow was not around 40 years ago. Get real. White ppl have had plenty of FREE help and gain at the expense of Brown PPL. Also, african ppl have blonde hair and some have light eyes... ever see an aborinige from australia? GOOGLE it. Being proud of culture is not racist and understanding it isnt either. The fact that white pple think they are so important that no other races should be recognized is racism in itself. Its like African Americans are not allowed to be happy proud or care about themselves or they're racist.... get over it . PPL of color are the Majority now and you need to get used to exploring other cultures and ways of life that are different from yours. Especially since YOUR WHITE AMERICA WOULDNT EXIST IF IT WERENT FOR NATIVE AND AFRICAN AMERICANS. Instead of hating how about appreciate others like they have been FORCED to appreciate White Americans.

December 7, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Mr.Davidson

Please read Human Genome Sequence project and research. Caucasions and biological diversity is not a mutation yet evolved from the pairing of two early human species the Neandrathal being dominant on the Northern European continent. Near this time ,up to 60,000 years ago An African was discovered to have been North to Southern MId East or Jordan region and may have evolved with early biblical tribes,named Rhodesia man only one has been discovered. Of course we are getting inter bred ,hence humanity.

December 7, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jonathon Mack

Mr. D, in case YOU did'nt know, the first tools were made, nad found in Africa. The first civalizations were in Africa. Just because you hace a bigger brain cavity, does not mean your smarter. Oh, and the white race is a derivitive of the Black race. By inter-breeding You can get white from Black, but you cant't get Black from white. Get off your high horse!

December 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tom

I have often wondered why women who have white and black heritage always consider themselves and announce to the world that they are black. Is it solely because of their skin color? When accepting her Oscar award, Halley Berry announced "finally a women of color has won an Oscar"! Why was this necessary and frankly who cares? I also find these specials that Soledad does year in and out as divisive towards race relations in this country.

December 7, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Brutus

Mariah Carey is another perfect example and her Mom is white!

December 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Tripp Knightly

Totally agree. For some reason Soledad has an almost paranoic obsession with minorities. Does she know how to report on anything else? What anybody even watch? Does anybody even watch her black stuff?

December 7, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
      • DC2BTR

She reports on this stuff because she gets paid to (way more than some of us Im sure). The people that right her check said you do these stories, so she does....most likely anyway. She may or may not actually believe all the BS she said in the interivew or even care.

December 7, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone,Schenectady NY

easy answer as you whites have always been the people of choice. Why do you have an issue with our love for blackness??? Your kind spent over 400 years killing our spirit. 1965 to 2012 is what we had to work with and you damn eight we will shout everything we get to win anything as your kind never wanted us to have anything. To this day all the sublime racist remarks still are there food stamp population is the biggest even though population wise whites beat us on welfare programs. I laugh because you all created a time when it was shameful to be black none you complain when ER celebrate our coming along since 1965. Understand equality is rather young for blacks!

December 7, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
      • LesMoore

Blacks are way more racist toward each other than whites are – ever heard of 'high yellow' – white pepole didn't create that term.

December 7, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Tesla

It sucks that we spent 400 years killing your spirit.

But, in fairness... people of African descent (the Moors) spent about 1000 years killing the Early Europeans spirit through racial slavery. And others (the Egyptians) spent about 2000 years killing the Hebrew peoples spirit.

Everyone has oppressed everyone. Just because you're the latest "victims" in this melting pot society doesn't mean that you're the most important. Seriously, man. Just let it go.

December 7, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Black Dynamite

To some white people, it's not important. To some white people, it's incredibly important.
      If you are Derek Jeter, or Lenny Kravitz, or Mariah Carey, or Halle Berry, or the President of the United States, it is going to be brought up. To you.
      People are curious. People are confused. People are intrigued. And everybody wants to label people, or HAVE a label.
      White people in particular wouldn't understand the issues, pressure, and conflict multi-racial people have, so they are the last people who should comment. But they are the first people who play "20 questions" with multi-racial people.
      BD

December 7, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

You might not care. Like i don't care about alot of the things you might care about. But a segment of the viewing public does and its IMPORTANT to them. Your narrow-minded thinking has been conditioned in you to think only people who look and think like you matter MORE than others. The problem with that flawed thinking is that all races want to feel included and have a stake in this country's future. When Halle says that at the Oscars, she doesn't care that you don't care. She's not speaking to you. She's speaking to people who GET what she's saying and care deeply about that. In saying what she said, she made millions of people with color smile. Step outside your narrow thinking and you will see you are not the center of the earth. And never will be.

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • CRA

I am a mixed person and I consider myself mixed. I am black, white and native american and I wouldn't deny any side of my family. That said, the reason SOME mixed people call themselves black is because that's what people see when they look at them. I am only 1/4 black, so I get confused with a lot of races, but a lot of half black/half white people look black to people that don't know them. They get viewed as black and treated as such. That's why.

December 7, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  35. Daniel

Lol, another one of these? Figures. CNN's gotta try to get ratings somehow. Americans have such a creepy obsession with race, its mystifying. You see countries across the world with as much diversity as we have that don't make as much an issue about race as we do. Get over the race thing and move on already. And Soledad please start doing actual news stories again.

December 7, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  36. I am an AMERICAN

Soon after the war started there was a commercial with people that were all from different ethnic backgrounds. All they did was say I am an AMERICAN. I think every body in the U.S. can learn from this. It does not matter your skin color, no one alive today had anything to do with slavery. If we would remember this we would have a much easier life. You get what you want out of life by working hard and contributing to society. Not by standing back and claiming how hated your people are or being a racist. We are all AMERICANS

December 7, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  37. GFLA

I'm tired of seeing this too, the media is the biggest reason that the "racial divide" still exists.....because they keep things stirred up. Soledad you are PART of the the problem, you arent helping SOLVE anything.

December 7, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  38. Leopold B Stotch

Everyone is black nowadays. The President that came from a white VJ is black so everyone else is too. Hooray! No more white guilt to worry about.

December 7, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Tripp Knightly

Agree. Maybe CNN could stop reporting on this non-news and reign in Soledad.

December 7, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

But i thought he was born in Kenya. At least that's what we heard the last 3 years. You guys have to make up your minds.

December 7, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Leopold B Stotch

Actually he was born in Hades. That's where the antichrist lives.

December 7, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
      • Eric

Leopold: When that's not what they said the last 3 years. Hades, huh? I'll add that to the crazy list of misnomers.

December 7, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  39. nativegyrl57

I am an American sentient being

December 7, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  40. bibleverse1

Id like to see who is only one one race or ethnicity in America. Who in America is only white or black or asian?

December 7, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  41. Barbara Reeves

My grandmother was Indian and grandfather was black. My father is white and my mother is Indian/Black. What does that make me. American!! I am not of the 47%. Let's read our history because all of us are not true Americans. Do some research befor you spout off. Whatever you think you are, you are not a bag of chips and all of that. White and Black Americans get over yourselves and be the best people you can be. Don't be fooled, when you die only your family may care.

December 7, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  42. Senior

Try being over 60 in America. Remember when John McCain ran against Obama? Remember all the late night talk show jokes about McCain's age? Diapers...Viagra...Falling asleep...Cafeteria..etc? Now, try to remember all the "black stereotype" jokes... Hmmmm.. THERE WASN'T ANY.. You want REAL discrimination? Try being "Old in America"

December 7, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • dhondi

But is is perfectly fine to crap on non-blacks.

December 7, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Oh get over it grandpa…everyone gets picked on by late night talk show hosts. If you think that’s discrimination you don’t know the meaning of the word. Take your pills and have a nap.

December 7, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  43. 120712

This is the last time I ever look at cnn. I am so sick of black this black that. Racial matters to me are subject matter burn-out.
    They just pound it to death. Black in America? How more divisive of a topic can you come up with? Good God give me a break. Good Buy.

December 7, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I agree totally. Blacks and CNN are so hung up on dividing this country!

December 7, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
      • dottie

Blacks are not the ones dividing this country. Let's see who said Food STamps President or that Blacks want other people money.

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
      • Jasoner

He is the food stamps president – and I’ll say it again. He has taken away all personal drive to succeed from lazy people of all races.

December 7, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • frespech

120712: Good bye.

December 7, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Good Buy? Where? Im always up for a good buy.

December 7, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  44. Bernard

Its more of a question in the black community as to who is really black in America. For example, I grew up in an all white area and most of my friends were white. When I got into high school I went to an all black school. Anyways, I was not accepted because I talked too white. Even to this day I still get that . Its really a question in the black community. I know its hard for some you guys to understand but there is a question whether your black or black enough for the black community.

December 7, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Brutus

Talked too white? I know white people that can't articulate or speak well. Meaning you can actually speak a complete and coherent sentence without saying "you know" in every sixth or seventh word?

December 7, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

This is a common concept among blacks. My co-worker is black and jokes about being a black to white translator. It’s also well known that many in the black community view success outside of sports or music as being ‘white’. That doesn’t mean that all white people speak perfectly or are successful.

December 7, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • mark

Interesting...i would hope that we all can just be viewed as Americans....not to take away from any person's heritage....but really its time to really "move forward" ...we've been a country for over 200 years?

December 7, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Thank you for being able to form complete sentences and speak coherently! You are an asset to your race.

December 7, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
      • cayblnoozknetwerk

To Chris (and the likes): I come from Bernard's situation. He makes a valid, sensible point without pointing fingers. You make a snide, ignorant jab which could have come from the 1950's. It's Exhibit A of why race issues remain relevant in 2012 in America; where there's smoke, there's fire and your quip is a classic sign of the supremacist BS which continues to create roadblocks for people in this day and age, biracial president notwithstanding.

BTW, anyone remember Bruce Hornsby's "The Way It Is?" A #1 song from 26 years ago, and in many circles it's still true. Why? Because racists raise racists. "SOME THINGS WILL NEVER CHANGE..."

December 7, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

@ Bernard
      I wouldn’t stress about it. It sounds like you're better off.

December 7, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

You're a black man who is a product of your environments. But unmistakably a black man. Noone is putting you in a line up and calling you White.

December 7, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • my 2 cents

bernard i don;t understand that either how ppl say your are acting white by the way that you talk.next time someone says that tell them they are an idiot and no real black person would say that and throw their race under the bus.they are basically saying that white ppl speak better than blacks and are superior,so just ignore their ignorance.

December 8, 2012 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  45. W

Hit the PAUSE button on your Belly Button and lets get on with more IMPORTANT things .

December 7, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  46. jamescox69

variety of opinions here. We have the proven racists who believe "blacks" could not have possibly done anything other than throw a spear and run fast yet those of us who get our knowledge and info from somewhere other than a KKK meeting or website of from "Uncle _Jeb" drunken speeches; we know that is not the case.

We have those who believe race is NOT a "hyphenated" issue or it's being OVEREMPHASIZED. And it seems to be. For instance, a TRUE African-American could be a ivory-skinned, blue-eyed businessman/woman from South Africa whow was BORN in that country and raised there. But we don't stop there, we have Asian-American, Afro-Cuban, etc., etc., etc., The ONLY TRUE Americans are the Native Americans (whom white America owes a HUGE apology to, then Black folks, then Asians, hmmm, there seems to be a trend here, but i digress)

Yet somehow, we stumbled along; Black people, who once were considered "3/5" of a person, died for the right to vote, marry, drink out of a water fountain, be educated, be treated as equal, THESE days we have a somewhat better life, but RACISM is still around, it just wears expensive suits.

Race IS an issue but I agree with MOST of you, Soledad needs to CHILL OUT, there are better things to report on. Like what I call the great "Race Equalizer": DEATH

DEATH cares NOT about the color of your skin, where you originally came from, caves or mud huts, DEATH gives less than a D*** about the hyphen in your racial calling card or your education level or income. DEATH doesnt ask any questions; he just shows up and punches your ticket on your ONE WAY journey somewhere. PERIOD.

THere is a Bible verse that brings it all to a point (one of many I may add) that simply says; "Lord teach us to number our days...." (Psalm 90) it was written by Moses and it essentially says, "Lord, help us to pay attention to the fact that we don't have long on this planet"

so, it's really just a matter of importance. What is MOST IMPORTANT to YOU? HOW do you want to spend your limited days, nights on this world? Raving about your racial heritage? Ranting and insulting the "lower races" and showing your TRUE ignorance? Reporting on an issue that pales in comparison to wars, famines, natural disasters, pestilences? OR could we use our short time a little more wisely? Trying our best to get educated? Helping other HUMANS? Trying to preserve our planet, just a little?

All these posts have a right and need to be here, some are just STUPID, some make you think, but in the grand scheme of things, NONE of them get to stand on the same playing field as LIFE and LIVING and your eternal destiny when you close your eyes in Death. Blood bleeds red,not white, or black or yellow. RED. And DEATH knows no color.

Neither does Jesus Christ. Want something to do with your days? Spend them Learning HIM. Or not. Your choice. But Soledad's meaningless reporting, and OUR need to rant about it occupies a lot of time we don't have.

think about it.

Be blessed folks.

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • dhondi

How do white people of today owe ANY apology to native americans, blacks, asians, etc? Is it due to the color of their skin?

December 7, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

I stopped reading this when I heard "The ONLY TRUE Americans are the Native Americans. . ." That's silly!

December 7, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  47. NC_Right

Amen

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. Don'tUnderstand

Why do people continually say they want the world to be "colorblind" but then they take every opportunity to define themselves/situations with color as the basis? It just makes things worse. 47% of crime is committed by blacks...but that is someone else's fault...over 40% of blacks do not graduate high school, but it's someone else's fault..96% of blacks voted for Obama, but the rest of us are the racists...I don't care what color you are, I care about your character...the excuses and fear of being branded a racists for asking that we address the issues is just sad.

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  49. dhondi

True, the only way to solve race issues is to see people as people, and not a member of a race.

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jeff

What a thoroughly divisive article. Yes, I suppose its easier for me to downplay the significance of race given the fact that I'm a white male. But going by the comments on here, it would seem that I'm not alone in thinking this whole debate is setting race relations in this country back about a half century. Good work Soledad, I'm sure Dr. King would be proud.
    Fortunately, the number of people who genuinely care about race (like you) is getting smaller and smaller everyday. The vast majority don't care. The vast majority is far more concerned with solving problems of socio-economic inequalities, which may, of course, be the result of lingering racism. But no clear thinking person's outlook is overtly driven by race today.

December 7, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • frespech

Jeff: I'm glad that you prefaced with"no clear thinking person" because of which I will have to agree with you.

December 7, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  51. Gandolegnol

What is important is that we are all human race. I m black and very dark black person but what I noticed is that black people feel proud and happy when they look a little bit lighter or coompletely light as you can think they are white. The reason for saying that is whenever I pass a group of white people, I don't even feel somebody is looking at me a ponit of making funny of my darkness. On the other hand whenever I pass a group of black people ( african american as we call them) somebody will pay attention and start laughing because I m so dark. You should not make funny of a person complexion. Black people are blacks because GOd made them black but if they had to chose they will prefer to be white or lighter. They have an innner complex of inferiority and accept what they are because that s how they werer born.

December 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Eugene

To me, the major characteristic that determines whether an individual in defined as being African-American or Black-American is whether they or their ancestors paid for their tranportation to America or whether their travel accomodations were forced upon them by others. Most Black Americans whose ancestors arrived in America by way of the "Middle Passage" understand that in a Plantation Society skin color was extremely important. As a general rule Light Skinned Blacks worked in the house and Dark Skinned Blacks worked in the fields.

December 7, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  52. TheReal\Doris

I'm wondering why 'it' needs to be determined at all. Why do black folk cling to the one-drop rule? People are an amalgamation and btw, I think genetic sequencing has ruled out notions of race.

I have a 'bi-racial' son who doesn't feel the need to self-identify. He's aware of his entire genetic make-up – African, European, Middle Eastern. Claiming nothing but the black is something his black father and society foist on him.

December 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jim

Sadly, being black seems to be, all too often, a choice based on what will provide a preference in hiring, school, etc.

December 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  54. Dave

Who cares who is Black and any of the stipulations that go along with it? Being White has always been the real privledge in America. It will remain so

December 7, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Humberto

Like the Oakies

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
      • dhondi

And the Irish, and the Italians.....welcomed here with open arms......

December 7, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • dhondi

Where is the privilege....I didn't receive my card.

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  55. Jose

Black? Try being Hispanic today in America. It seems that Americans have moved on from bigotry and hatred towards Blacks/African-Americans and focused it on Hispanics. We are being profiled as racists, illegal immigrants, that don't deserve to be in this country. Some will just want to see us shipped back to whatever country they perceive to be "Latin." Especially Mexico, since it's the closest. Me, I'm a Cuban-American, born in the USA to two US Citizens (though born in Cuba), served my country in the United States Army for 20 years, retired Honorably, and yet, I can stand at the corner at a hardware store and be questioned about my legal status. Enough!

December 7, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Typical misplaced anger. Take up your issue with the cause not the symptom. If you don’t like being stereotyped as illegals then stop harboring them. Every one of my Hispanic friends has admitted to being friends with or having family here that are illegal. You problem is your fellow Hispanics not ‘everyone else’.

December 7, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • MargieM

Jose, Thank you so much for your military service! I greatly appreciate you, and your family for raising you well! Don't let the losers get you down.

December 7, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  56. Phoney Baloney

Soledad Obrien is about as black as I am Martian! I can't help but wonder how stellar her career would have been had she not been born with a Central American complexion dark enough to fake being (part) African. I laugh every time I see her.

December 7, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  57. ll

Szzzzzzzzzzzoledad O'brien.......

December 7, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  58. You're Not Black

Sorry Soledad, but you're not black. Should we start with your hair or your skin tone?

December 7, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
    • my 2 cents

there are black ppl born to two black parents that look like soledad so her hair and skin tone is kinda irrelevent go to new orleans you'lll see all kinds of black ppl that could pass for white and have darker skinned relatives and you think they are not related but they are.

December 8, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  59. CitizenJP

As long as the false ego of You, the Inner Person identifies with the external objectified world, you will continue to have problem. You are neither black nor white. Your false ego has identified yourself with the color black or white. Get over such triviality and seek to know who you are. All problems will be solved for ever.

December 7, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  60. Kathy

I think it is rather sad that she seems to be ashamed of her heritage from her father's side. She makes a point of saying that she is black and latina and that her father is white and Australian. It is too bad that she is so uncomfortable with her father's culture that she totally separates herself from him. As a journalist, she should draw upon all of her background.

December 7, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • TheOriginalMe

I think you're confused, she's not ashamed of her father side, the topic is about being black, why would she talk about being white?, she talks about being latina cause her black side is latino too.
      Maybe in the future she will make "White in America" ... lol! it even sounds weird!

December 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • frespech

Kathy: No where in here article did I get the impression that she was ashamed or distancing herself from her fathers race, but that's just how I see it.

December 7, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

I totally agree. Technically she is 1/4 Black, 1/4 Latina, and 1/2 White...yet she doesn't identify herself as White at all. Why not? She states that is doesn't matter what other people tell her she is...it just matters what SHE thinks she is..but then she goes on to state that her mother kept telling her she was Black and Latina?! I don't get it. She contradicts herself. And if it isn't based on all the superficial criteria that we as a society have come to identify..then WHAT is it based on? Ones cultural affiliation? If you are a white girl living in a black neighborhood you cannot check the box that says you are Black...because you aren't. I find it interesting that she was raised in a predominately White neighborhood. Would she still feel Black if she was raised in a predominately Black neighborhood? Probably not. I would posture that she was likely more accepted in her White neighborhood than she would have been in a Black neighborhood...which is why she was raised where she was. Sorry Soledad...your views just don't cut it. They make no sense.

December 7, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

@Kathy
      You make a valid point. In her attempt to garner more viewers in the black community (this is a clear PR stunt) she alienates her other half. She is counting on people like TheOriginalMe who freely accept preferential treatment of minority at the expense of the majority to ignore or just miss this.

It seems to be working.

December 7, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Texsgirl

I couldn't have said it better. I was just thinking along these same lines. I don't blame her for being proud of her Afro-Cuban heritage, but she barely mentioned her Father. She is also, by heritage white-Australian. Most of all she is an American of mixed races.

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Okay. So you're offended that you think she dismissed or downplayed her White Heritage, but African Americans can't be upset when their Black Heritage is dismissed or downplayed. Sounds like you identify with her more than you think.

December 7, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

No, Eric I’m not offended. I’m not looking for an excuses to blame my failures on. I’m observant. Do you have an idea how hypocritical you are bring?

December 7, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • BroWn

Well Black is the dominant race, and legally if you have 1/8 black in you you're considered black so she was correct to identify herself as black and cuban.

December 7, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  61. Jeff

What a waste of time, no onder we can't get past the "race" card, that's all we hear!!!!

December 7, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  62. steele hammer

Ignorant comments all through the reply section about Black people and then everyone wonders why there needs to be reports on this subject. Stop with the negativity, hatred, and stereotyping.

December 7, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  63. eleanor fitzgerald

The president was brought up mostly by his white Irish grandparents, yet nobody thinks of him as an Irish American. Yet it is part of who he is. He is also Afro-American. But like everyone else who is born here, he is American. Why is this still an issue. We are a mixture of cultures. Poverty and its side effects is mostly what keeps people down. It is not easy to rise above that without help.

December 7, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  64. musings

I think it's important to listen to someone else and hear how they perceive themselves without feeling threatened or that you have to define it for them. Only common courtesy.

December 7, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Humberto

Common, The perception was some sort of nobility upon her part for bigotry

December 7, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  65. Sandra

I do not watch TV anymore because all the commericals are only blacks. How about having Asians, Hispanics and Whites in commericials.

December 7, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • my 2 cents

rofl what channel are you watching that only shows black commercials,shoot even on bet the commercials aren't all black.if you can get the hopper from dish to skip commercials.i don;t like commercials no matter who;s in it. try watching a papa johns commercial or the preview for the hobbit if u don';t want to see any black ppl.

December 8, 2012 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  66. Cinchy

This is an incredibly disturbing and wrong statement. Not only is it logically incorrect, but if I was her father I would be hugely insulted: "Soledad O'Brien: I’m black. I’m Latina. My mom is Cuban. Afro-Cuban. My dad is white and Australian."

December 7, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • BroWn

the black & latin genes are more dominant than the white & australian.... she was correct to identify herself as black & cuban since those are most dominant

December 7, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Escobar

That's not true.. I'm a European Latino with light grey eyes and my wife is of puerto rican/jamaican decent (brown skin, brown eyes, black hair). Our daughter is whiter than I am with blue eyes and golden brown hair (Just like me). She will be raised to appreciate all her cultural backgrounds and not just the one that stands out (white).

December 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Morph

Obama is not muslim. Also black journalists and commentators have been around for a long time...they didnt just show up in the last five years.

December 7, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  68. itwasntme904

We have come along way since Martin Luther King.....................................NOT! Race should NOT be a factor!

December 7, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Phoney Baloney

Well then, certain "followers" of MLK should probably stop spending their entire lives trying to artificially MAKE it one, shouldn't they? Please...

December 7, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  69. LJA

Really – black in America or white in America or Latino in American; How about Americans in America just being decent human beings trying to make a living in all this chaos.

December 7, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*a sistah

Preach brotha!
      I'm jk
      Lets all just chill... It's what we make it. I hope CNN gets our point.
      Push on

December 7, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  70. Name*a sistah

Good grief...
    I'm going to bed now
    Yawn...
    Boring...

December 7, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  71. Heidi

As long as you have any black in you, even quarter, you are considered black.

December 7, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Phoney Baloney

Ever wonder why the opposite isn't true? Ever think about anything at all? Didn't think so.

December 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
      • KatKitty

The 1% rule was implemented in the Jim Crowe era during segregation. The older generation should remember the 'White's Only' signs. Any one who was not white or had a small amount of black in them could not even drink at a 'white's only' water fountain. Those days are gone but the stigma still remains and if we don't talk about it, it will never change.

December 7, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
      • frespech

Baloney: Very well stated and I would venture a guess that not many have looked at it from that perspective. In all sincerity I can't even admit that I have. Great point. Have a great day.

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
      • BroWn

Well Black is the DOMINANT gene....& if u have 1/8 black in you you're considered black

December 7, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  72. Lee-Anne G

Better yet, who cares? Who cares what color someone is? How about we all just be Americans first and foremost and ignore all that other crud. And to any gumba out there that thinks someone is different based solely on the color of skin, please feel free to shut it.

December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  73. Michelle

She's American. Why is it that everyone has to identify themselves with the color of their skin or their culture? We are all American no matter what we look like. Everyone who first stepped onto this ground has some different ethnicity. So, in reality, we have been a mixed race from the beginning. Its time to accept that and move on from all of this racist crap.

December 7, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

By comment is based on the assumption that they are US citizens.

December 7, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  74. Don

Beautiful Soledad O'Brian. We judge you on your intellect, speech ability and beauty. Not on your socialist indoctrination.

December 7, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • NClaw441

Don, you judge someone on their beauty? So if Soledad were ugly (She is not, even though she says some ugly things.) you would judge her differently?

Sadly, there are too many people on either side of the racial issue that want to keep it alive. Many of those who do not belong to the minority at issue claim superiority over them because it is easier than actually putting forth effort to succeed on one's merits. Instead, merely by not being "them" these folks claim to be superior somehow. There are people who are more talented and/or more intelligent than I, but it is not because of their race. There are people who are not as talented and/or intelligent as I, but it is not because of THEIR race, either.

On the other side of the coin, there are plenty of minority folks, who use their minority status as an excuse for not doing better in life. Yes, there is racism in this country, but too many people have succeeded despite such racism for it to remain as a valid excuse any longer.

December 7, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • frespech

Don you better hope people don't judge you by your standards, because you seem to be lacking in several areas.

December 7, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  75. scranton

Who cares if you are black, yellow, green, or purple? We have more important things going on in this country.

December 7, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • frespech

Yeah like who is a Rethuglican and who is a Dumbacrat. I'm sure many consider that more important.

December 7, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

The census department?

December 7, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  76. fred

A Dingo just ate my baby!!

December 7, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Good one

December 7, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  77. Steve

Hey CNN, why do you ALWAYS have to make issues of race in America? Who cares about this stupid story... on Pearl Harbor Day, when 71 years ago today MANY AMERICANS of ALL RACES lost their lives in the attack on Pearl Harbor you choose to make this your top story on CNN.com. SHAME ON YOU!!!

December 7, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • JRob

Steve, Agreed. Sick of this with CNN. If this continues I'll just get my news online from another source. They have driven this race issue into the ground and seem to enjoy controversy even where there is none..... this topic at CNN has cobwebs on it, old-old-old. We're Americans, period.....

December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • jim

Because anyone who questions Obama is a racist and solodads heart is black and evil

December 7, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  78. bibleverse1

I would rather no book, no application, no census that referred to race. I identify as American. I think America is a great place to live and work regardless of our issues. Race ir skin color or hair texture are so inadequate as indentifiers in a global community.

December 7, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  79. Annie

I am sick of her and these shows. How about who's white in America?

December 7, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • frespech

Annie- I'm guessing you are.

December 7, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Jasoner

That is simply not possible because it would be considered racist.

December 7, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  80. cleat

Soledad...keeping race "differences" alive...
    I dont care what you are...black, white, whatever...If you are a good person, great...nice to meet you!
    If you are a dirtbag, leech, criminal, etc...go away.

December 7, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Morph

just because you dont talk about something doesnt make it go away. im sure its uncomfortable for you, but pretending there are no difference is just blindness.

December 7, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben Johnson

Except that keeping these "differences' alive only goes one way. If one tries to tie racial pride to the white community, it becomes borderline criminal at the top end, and at the very least, racist at the bottom end.
      My perception is that Soledad takes the road that is the most advantageous at the given time.

December 7, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  81. Laura

Our race shouldn't define us. Reading the comments above, we have no idea what race each person is unless they identify it themselves. We are all human, we are American. What color we are and what we look like is superficial. All of our ancestors have had trials and triumphs and we should be proud, but this needs to stop dividing. Don't put your race before your country. As a country we have overcome many troubles together, people of all races. God Bless America.

December 7, 2012 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  82. NoMoreTears

Simple definition of black : Anyone who has family members who were oppressed, humiliated, harrassed and tortured in the past for several generations and who even today are unable to enjoy the basic necessities of life.

December 7, 2012 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Doran

I worked for over twenty years in a suburban fire dedpartment. A young man came onto the department and his hair was quite curly. One of the groups who were particularly racists nicknamed this man Izzy and it stuck. Meaning of course , is he black? Racism is alive and well in These United States of America I'm afraid

December 7, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • kdawg

You're defining Native Americans not Blacks. BTW, everyone has the opportunity to succeed. Some use their race as a crutch for their personal failures, which is laughable in 2012.

December 7, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  83. Lan

Soledad you're a mixed-breed – you are NOT BLACK ONLY! It baffles me as a Black woman to listen to bi-racials try their hardest to identify with being Black. Why does't she identify with ALL her ethnics and leave well enough alone...Soledad you are BI-RACIAL...

December 7, 2012 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Annie

She said she is Hispanic.

December 7, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • GetReal

Did you even read the article, or just start spouting...Afro Cuban, White Austrialian

December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Jerzeyirish

Did YOU read the article ? She was asked "How do you indentify " and she replied I'm black. I'm latina". She mentioned her father was white she never said SHE considered herself white.

December 7, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  84. Sarah

Why are liberals so obsessed with race? We haven't gone one full week without hearing about race since Obama took office. So much for a post-racial America.

December 7, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  85. Dave

Why is Soladad O'Brien doing all these reports on Blackness? She looks white, married a white man and is not representative of blackness. CNN, next time get a real black person to report on who is black in America.

December 7, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Heidi

She does not look white. She identifies with being Hispanic. She looks black to me.

December 7, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • my 2 cents

i agree they should hire an actuall black person to do this no offense. i feel like the media and hollywood just tend to hire light skinned or biracial ppl to do things that black ppl should be doing i think they have those ppl so the person isn';t too black or too white..they have zoe saladan playing as nina simone when that role should have went to someone else that looked more like her.

December 8, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  86. PeterD

In today's 21st century Black People have either equal or more opportunities to be successful than any other race in America unless they stop crying foul about racism and slavery. Those days are part of a continuous evolution of human civilization. Barack Obama is proof of present civilization.

December 7, 2012 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Eugene

I am assuming you do not live in the American South. Very rarely do you see a Black American man supervising a White American in small town southern cities.

December 7, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo Ann

Equal or more opportunities? Not where I live! I'm white and live in a small city whose population is almost 50% black. However, the wealthest neighborhoods and the private schools are almost completely white. There are no public swimming pools; there are private swimming pools with paid memberships – often restricted to whites. One local white politician used the "n" word publically recently. My white friends sometimes shock me with their racist comments (and their clear preference for working with other whites); my black friends shock me with their stories of continued discrimination.

December 7, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  87. NooYawkah

Is this gonna be a yearly thing now? Next up, the hispanic woman who feels offended because people think she's her light skinned daughter's nanny.

December 7, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  88. Godbody

There is no such thing as race...... It is a trick that has been played on us all by the racists.... But people who call themselves "white" people get the most benefit and privilege out of the race system so they defend it and guard against the prison break...... Non-white people its time to expose the illusion of race and escape the prison

December 7, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • David

A voice of reason in the wilderness. There are many of us, we are the real silent majority

December 7, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  89. Chris

why does she identify as black when she is 1/4 black. President Obama is 1/2 white but is the first black president. Soledad O
    brien is just crying for ratings and attention. What a whiner.

December 7, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo Ann

Historically, state laws would define who was black and who was white – and being 1/16 or 1/32 black would define someone as black.

December 7, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  90. Willy B

Soledad, today it is Black. Last week it was Afrfican-American. Why don't you focus on ways to help the Black/African American population rather than being so self absorbed? You know, something boring like how to re-affirm the need of a 2 parent household to better the chances of the next generation...oh, that's right, that's not about you, is it?

December 7, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  91. VRage13

Well, if you remember and listen to King B Hussein & other DemLibs, it only takes a drop in the blood for people to qualify as a minority. So that would means that a very large number of people in the USA who at present are considered white are really Native American. That would make me Cherokee as I am 1/64. In addition, many of those same whites would also be considered black. Hmm? When can we start collecting all our free stuff? Can we get jobs now that we are minorities? Remember, it only takes a drop in the blood

December 7, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger

I agree with you wholeheartedly!.

December 7, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

When can you collect free stuff? You know, that is such a republican thing to say. If you were black or any other minority, you would know. But the conservatives would like to put down minorities out of pure racial hatred. How about being the recipient of prejudice just for who you are? Not a good place to be at. That is the problem with white people, they think others are just lazy and want free stuff. I know lots of whites that are just white trash. There are some minorities that are doctors and lawyers and yes even the low educated who are rich and have their own businesses. Are they lazy? There are free cell phones available to people in need and you must qualify for it. Is that it? Jealousy over a free cell phone when you must pay for yours? I dare you to live as an under privileged person for a week. You might not be so republican afterwards.

December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Eugene

Long ago, I came to the conclusion that all minorities do not have equal standing in America. For example, it is my understanding that is an effort to fully assimilate into the dominant culture The Cherokee Nation owned slaves.

December 7, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  92. Mike in SA

Who cares, last I checked we are all part of the human race so the answer is moot. Anxiously awaiting your "Who is White in America" series however. Please let me know when that one comes out...my answer will be the same.

December 7, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  93. JakeF

All one has to do is read through the comments here to realize how sad some people really are.

It might be time to travel a bit for those of you living in your quiet little towns. Believe it or not, there is an entire world out there with people who look and believe different than you. You might even learn something and come away better persons.

December 7, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  94. Tony

Frankly, this argument is small minded and un-important. You're talking about roughly %13 of the total U.S. population–and fast declining as the "largest minority," which is NOW the Mexican immigrants–legal or not.

So, WHY don't we do an expose' (as if its as important as the author of this article makes it out to be) "who is WHITE or ASIAN or Mexican America?"

The point is: NOBODY CARES. All have their politicos, their own political agenda, and, quite frankly, the MAORITY will rule.

December 7, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*a sistah

I agree... The next generation knows this according to polls taken by none other than CNN.
      We are hopefully enlightening them.
      How an intro on how this is dividing us further?
      Such a waste of talent...

December 7, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo Ann

The largest minority is now Hispanic/Latino, which encompasses many more than just Mexican immigrants. It includes immigrants from all Latin countries, as well as all whose ancestry is Hispanic – even if they have been in this country for generations.

December 7, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  95. LPG

If one comes from multiple racial parents, I can't understand why a child would identify strictly with one or the other. The fact is (Lenny Kravitz and Soledad) is you're interracial. You're not black or white, you're both.

December 7, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Intellectualone

Society views these individuals as black. Most "blacks" are multi-racial any way (native american, white, Latino) but yet are only view by the most dominate gene (most often black). So to say one is backer then the other is absurd. Yea she looks white but that's because she get's her hair straighten lol. Learn about the rich Creole culture in New Orleans where individuals with blond hair and blue eyes but Identified as black. This is a rich part of america that sadly gets swept away.

December 7, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
      • ustimes

Intellectualone? My, you have it all figured out. Well, I can assure you, that many blacks with far darker skin are not being treated the same as Soledad. The more we dissect each color, one by one, the more we divide. I am half-hispanic, I am blonde hair blue eyed. So what!

The melting pot is boiling over from all this heat about "I'm this color or that color." Obama is HALF – WHITE. Solediad is HALF-WHITE. But you all disown or denounce any other part of your heritage and declare you're black.

That makes you the racist ones. Shame on all of you. Go work in the inner city and help them and stop with the intellectual banter that fuels the fire. And the truth is? Soledad, you get treated better than other blacks because of your color. So shame on you for implying that you know the prejudice they've felt.

December 7, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  96. holyghostparty

who's black.....
    CHARLIE MURPHY!!!!

December 7, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Lan

LOL! And you can't get no blacker than Charlie Murphy! Darkness everybody darkness! Love it!

December 7, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  97. John

This is precisely what fuels racism in this country. Blacks cry foul when they perceive that they are being treated separate from other cultures in America while simultaneously doing everything to make themselves distinct from other Americans. People like Soledad O'Brien, Jesse Jackson Al Sharpton and others with this same perspective are from an era that is quietly disappearing into the pages of history and yet these individuals and others with the same intent want to keep it alive.

Make up your mind because regardless of any differences I think of all people living in America as Americans unless you're going to use the ploy that you want to be characterized differently only when it benefits you. The vast characteristics which make you successful and equal in this country can no longer be reduced to the mere color of your skin. It's about to be 2013 and time to turn the corner for some folks.

December 7, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Humberto

The criminal cabal knows its political judges, lawyers, and bar are cornered and are still trying to keep their illicit gains and get away. Right duppa?

December 7, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  98. anniem

Race should no more be a criteria than hair or eye color.

December 7, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • George Gordon

Fabulous, succinct!!! I hope that all Americans(actually all the people of our planet) will adopt this philosophy,

December 7, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • bigdumbdinosaur

Unfortunately, certain individuals in the USA are invested in the notion that race is criteria. These would be the ones who are constantly pushing the affirmative action agenda.

December 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
      • dottie

AAction has being around amny years for white males. Ho many white males have gotten jobs without qualifications. By the way, Blacks have to be over educated to get high paying jobs; whereas white males can be undereducated. In addition, how many whites were passed over for jobs due to other whites?

December 7, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
      • Jo Ann

The "good old boys" network and the legacy preferences for college admissions are examples of affirmative action for whites, and they are not being challenged. Wonder why that is?

December 7, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  99. Gurgyl

Whites with filthy tricks like koches, Glenn Beck, Rush, Karl, Ann Coulter, Sheldon Adelson are all BLACKS, blacks with dignity like Martin Luther King, Rosa Parker's are super hits. Skin color does not denote a dime here. It is character and conduct. Know the truth. CNN stop this idiocy of Articles.

December 7, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • dhondi

Way to utterly destroy your credibility.

December 7, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  100. c max

When our multiracial daughter was born, the hospital listed her as Caucasian. When I asked about that determination, I was told that they go by the mother's race. Does this sound strange to anyone else?

December 7, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Not really since they know for sure who the mother is but not the father.

December 7, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • GetReal

December 7, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo Ann

Yes. When my children were born, the hospital had me fill out a form, spelling out their names and checking a box for which race I wanted on the birth certificate. There was no question – both my husband and I are white – but I thought that was the best way to do that. The census lets you check whichever race(s) you identify with, so why not birth certificates?

December 7, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrid

Most hospitals go by this saying. "Momma's baby. Father's maybe."

December 28, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |