December 26th, 2012

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive

By Sarah Edwards, CNN

(CNN) – The maker of a Google app thinks it's fun to make yourself look Asian by changing the shape of your eyes and wearing a Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

Another app - "Make Me Indian" - makes you a Native American with brown skin, war paint and a feather headband.

“This is just a fun app (that) lets you indulge you and your friends," says the description of the "Make Me Asian" app created by user KimberyDeiss and available on Google Play.

"You can for a few seconds to make (yourself) a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other Asians," the description says.

Not amusing or cute, say Asian-American organizations that launched a petition to get Google to remove both apps.

The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians and Native Americans, said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans in the United States.

“These racist and offensive portrayals of Asians and Native Americans perpetuate damaging racial stereotypes and should not be distributed on the Google play store," said the campaign, which has an online petition to remove the apps.

Google, however, said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech.

"We don't comment on individual apps," Google said in a statement. "We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies."

KimberyDeiss makes other photo-altering apps including "Make Me Old" and "Make Me Fat." There's also "Make Me Russian" and "Make Me Irish," which play off stereotypes.

But the furor in the Asian-American community, sparked a few weeks ago, is growing. Blogs, including Angry Asian Man, have reinforced the call to remove the apps.

Washington pastor Peter Chin decided to mount an even larger protest on the website Change.org.

Chin said he understood Google's motto is "Don't be evil." That makes it hard to fathom why the company would support these apps, he said.

This is the first time Chin has protested in this way. He was prompted to act, he said, because Google refused to do so.

“Google normalizes everything from Google maps, Gmail," he said. "If you want to search for something on the Internet, you even say to 'Google it.'"

Chin feared Google's power would make people think the apps were OK.

"I wanted to make sure this app isn’t given a pass of approval," he said.

Chin said he wants Google users to know that the stereotypes in the apps have been used to marginalize and discriminate against people.

"It's not cool," he said.

CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report.

Filed under: Asian in America • Discrimination • Ethnicity • How we look • Native Americans • Race
soundoff (1,351 Responses)
  1. 1h0mP

564260 869563I got what you intend,bookmarked , quite good internet internet site . 647115

July 31, 2013 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. kaje

All of you are stupid if you think that asians are smart because there asians its a stereotype so all of you who are whining about how they are our smartest people in our country your wrong from where i grew up asians are not seen much but the few that ive seen are not smart im in 11th grade and make straight A's and theres one asian in my class who makes all F's so if all asians are so smart then why does he make F's. So if ur gonna cry about stereotypes dont believe in one.

July 24, 2013 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. dsouth

Racism and a person's(or group of peoples) personal perspectives on the topic appear to be directly related to personal experience and their respective generations. I hate my body( like everybody in the world), but I hate plastic surgery even more. The younger the individual the less offended by the topic and vice versa. Point is the younger generations can find this matter trivial due to the plight of the generations before them. So if you are asian and you think they are blowing this out of proportion that's your right, but don't forget you are living in more understanding times because of the vigilance of your elders. I am asian and though I don't find it offensive many do. So, maybe it's just to soon. Bottom line is, if it bothers you than admit it and stop being weak, or trying to jump on the bandwagon. I know so many asians that will say it doesn't bother them when it's really eating them up. I may not like all aspects of myself, but I'm proud of who I am and hate any and all races trying to superficially change an ethnic characteristic through surgery. In the real world money talks and b.s. walks. So, if you want change, you gotta hit them in their wallets. We are only free to be good humored and tolerant because others weren't. It'll do us all good to remember that. And if two black guys are beating the tar out of one of your fellow whites (provided you had a spine), honestly, your initial response would be to help your own. Keep it Real. But I do love my Irish girls.

May 8, 2013 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. ron

...you must reside in an extremely low life area of the country, maybe asia would be better for you

April 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Online electronics stores

You can certainly see your expertise in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

April 6, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • ron

qb seems even stupider than months ago, yeah, thats right, prejudice is having less or more money and nig gahs don'ts wants no needs no moh moneys, jes asks dem when dey knows dey hain't no possibility of getting any

April 6, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. rightclue

I am an first generation Asian American who was not born in this country. I will admit that I would feel these apps would be very offensive in my younger days. But I just laugh at something like this now.

However, I laugh even harder at ABCs (American Born Chinese, or insert Korean or other nationality) who take this so seriously. They should learn their own language more proficiently and stop trying to foster Pan-Asianism (a concept that is deemed "American" in most Asian nations)

The more "Angry Asian Men" perpetuate this kind of outrage, the more they appear like outraged African American groups

March 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jorge

Let's make an app of a 300lb. Southern white woman with big hair, a Marlboro sticking out of the side of her face, wearing a snuggie sweat suit with HOT MOMMA spelled over the backside, flip-flops over bobby socks and parking her Dodge Ram in the fire lane at Walmart so that she can waddle to an electric handicap buggy to buy more smokes and 'nanner puddin', how's that for a stereotype???

February 22, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. AK

I wouldn't be offended if there was a Make me Jewish App which shows someone with a big nose, curly sideburns and eating a knish, why the hell you getting offended with this stupid app?
    Waa, Waa, next thing you know an app showing places where there is a large asian population living will come out to tell people to drive cautiously due to bad driving will come out and will you be there to whine again?

Speaking of which, two app ideas that are gold...
    Score!

February 15, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. David

That app wouldn't work in my case, perhaps you could send me your picture or make your picture the default in the app.

February 12, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

If you ban this app, then you should also ban rice paddy hats and fu man moustaches, because it is possible a white person might put on one of those hats or grow a moustache. Maybe put a ban on whites to only act a certain way and only do what is approved by the government.

February 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. M. Danby

That app is built into every modern smartphone and most standard cell phones for that matter

February 12, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scuromondo

Personally, when it comes to humor, I think there should be no holds barred. And anyway, racial and ethnic humor is not automatically "racist" and intolerant.

February 12, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jared

So now Google is supposed to police every use of a negative stereotype in their app store? Sure, the app is insensitive and silly, but the vast majority of users know that iphone/play apps are NOT written or supported by Apple or Google. The app is obviously not hate speech and Google shouldn't censor apps that don't violate their policies.

February 12, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. queenbee9

1890S-1938 GERMANY and Austria made cartoons of Jews. After that along with a lot of propaganda and scapegoating (like we do to blacks) they justified the final solution. Just think–it all started with humor..isn't that interesting?

February 9, 2013 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
    • David

so the solution then is to ban humor so everyone can be the same. Let's all only be super serious and never allow any kind of humor that the Queen Bee does not approve of.

February 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • TerriTerri

They also made derogatory, false and offensive remarks about Polish people. People are ignorant around the world. The type of people who laugh at others show how low their intellect really is. I used to be offended by buffoons like this, but now I look at it as a blessing in disguise. If you happen to be in their presence, you will know exactly who to avoid and ignore.

February 26, 2013 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. queenbee9

The developer should go all out and make apps for handicaps, deformities, downs syndrome blacks, Hispanics, and while we are at it parkinsons and maybe Alzheimer. let's not stop there, make a rape victim app or a rapist app and maybe a pedophile app–why not? We all need to lighten up right? SOME people are such jerks and so clueless–not only will I not get this app–but I won't get the others that make fun of other people/ethnicities or races either–because it is not funny if the people you target are not laughing–I can find better ways to humor myself. and it IS racist.

February 9, 2013 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • r belin

if you had an idea of what liberalsm denotates(beside what you think it is) you would realize thee is no such thing, its all squamplsdeshnttook and what you have are representatives who represent you and the ones(all of them) who represent those who will reelect them so they will have a job they can do without any repercusions

February 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. queenbee9

Then whites are always wondering why other races don't like them....give you one good guess...

February 9, 2013 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • MelStar

Hahaha!!!

February 10, 2013 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • rhedawktober

Haven't traveled much have you ?

February 11, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BV

I noticed that a lot of the comments posted here so far say things like "I'm not offended, why should anyone else be?", "If they made so-and-so app, I would just laugh", "They need to get over it", and then they create all sorts of hypothetical situations. Point being, it's all about "I think this", "I think that" "Me, me, me, MY opinion", "Why can't everyone else think the same way that I do?"

As one person stated earlier, it's called empathy. Think about those other than yourselves, or other than whoever you associate with. Realize that many people have been through hurt and often have a good reason for being offended. And I'm not talking about people who 'cry over every single little thing' like some of you claim.

So what if they deal with situations differently than you do and can't simply leave it in the past? It doesn't make them wrong. If they learn from the racial blows they had to deal with and continue living a normal life, then they're strong. It also takes someone else just as strong to be sensitive towards that person.

February 3, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • rambo

amen...American culture is so narcissistic that people only think that their own opinion and experience matter. And if you are Asian and don't think that this is a problem, I would strongly suggest you read up on your history of how Asians came to America and really think about how you feel as a minority in America...I think that Asian-Americans who say "I"m Asian but I don't care as long as it's funny" really need to do some introspection...why are you apologizing for someone else's sins? Don't "kowtow" to what the majority thinks is "funny"...it is AT YOUR AND YOUR ANCESTORS EXPENSE.

February 11, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jorge

If the U.S. didn't have such a rich history of mainstream-condoned discrimination, racism, exclusion, hate crime and cultural ignorance, then stuff like this would probably be considered a gag by the objects of it, but as things stand there is a need to be a little PC, because in this country, when folks start making derogatory jokes about people like you, it's a good idea to carry a Saturday Night Special and a spare clip before you go out at night...

January 31, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. cathy

I had enough of these asians. They have been here since 1975 and still working the system, free of taxes, food stamps, and alot of other freebies. Take care of our own FIRST. This is America, this is our country...I dont appreciate them coming here and cooking and eating dogs and cats and laughing about it. I dont want to hear " it's their custom" That is not American custom, go back to your country if you want to continue practicing those type of customs. I am sick of their rudeness and nastiness.They dont tip in service industries, yet most of them work in tipping industries such as restaurants and nail shops. Yet they frequent American service industries and leave no tip. I wish they would all go back to wherever the hell they came from. And for all of our men serving in the armed forces...these women are nothing but gold diggers. They always try to latch onto a soldier for the benefits, get a clue and leave thes females alonr

January 27, 2013 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Monim

LoL eating cats and dogs? Asians are the most intelligent group of people that this country has got and they account for 50 percent of the PHD's earned each year. Without them this nation would be a stupider place then it already is. What a shallow minded way of looking at things asians where here way before 1975 going back to the time of the gold rush. They have established themselves as a productive member of society even more so than whites,blacks and Hispanics.

January 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • sartaj sandhu

wow! what planet do you live on? asians (chinese, koreans, etc) are among the poorest groups of immigrants in america today!

January 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

"...get a clue and leave thes females alonr.."- Don't think so, Cath. If I were looking for a wife and the only woman not like you on the face of the earth were living in a monastery on the face of a 500 foot bluff in the Himalayas, I would pack warm clothes, a bunch of traveler's cheques and buy a plane ticket to Tibet. Do you realize how undesireable your poorly redacted hateful statements make you out to be???

January 31, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

Why are you making these generalizations about Asians when there are just as many rude and nasty people of different cultures? Honey, you better get your head on straight. Don't be jealous that my people are just rising to the top by the second and are willing to work their butts off.

March 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Nana Bowman

People have to know why Asian-Americans are very sensitive about this APP. There is very tormenting history behind the picture.

When Asian-Americans, especially Chinese as coolies came to this country in the mid 19th century with the look similar to the above one, were not even appreciated what they contributed to this country on Union-Pacific Railroads and other gigantic projects, even worse in late 19th century the Congress enactived Chinese Exclusive Act.

January 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

I don't think the present generation (especially whites) are sensitive to those facts–after all, it all happened long ago and they were not alive so they do not feel they need to apologize for anything. So what if Asians were mistreated or exploited or discriminated against? They expect you to get over it and no...Chinese cannot be compensated for building rail roads or anything else–no matter how their labor was used to build this country and prosper whites–their gain is your loss–now move along now and let it go (snark)

February 9, 2013 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. JC

So where's the "make me Muslim" app. I can't wait to see the fireworks.

January 12, 2013 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  22. Anonymous

lol, it'e easy to make such an app, just put a picture of a child being touched up by a white hand attached to the photo.

January 10, 2013 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  23. Thenextstep

Who cares............... I'm sure the app goes the other way as well (Asian to American).

January 3, 2013 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  24. bobby

We recently went to Sedona, Arizona, a really nice small town. There were some people speaking a language I did not understand. I asked where they were from. They said they were a tour group from France! I did not recognize their French, nor did they look like they were from France. But, what does a Frenchman look like? Or an Italian? See the problem with labeling people from different countries?

January 3, 2013 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  25. bobby

The government using terms like white, black, red, yellow, asian, indian, african american,on official forms is racist. Noticing facial features, skin color, is all racist. Any time someone notices physical features this is racism.

January 3, 2013 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  26. thedarkelf

This is funny, It really is silly and all I can say to the offended is please consider all the things wrong in the world and decide weather or not this is comic relief or a malicious ap to degrade Asians

January 3, 2013 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. Kahuna Ric

... and the Asian Anime' Cartoons' interpretation of what Caucasians look like (with they're OVER-sized eyes, small mouth and perked-up noses), even as far back as the original Speed Racer cartoons in the sixties, can not be mis-understood in the same way? Sheesh.

January 3, 2013 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Fig1024

actually, that's what Asians think they look like. When there's specific caucasian character in anime, it's usually noticeably different from the rest, smaller eyes, different bone structure in the face and nose. Unless it's really cheap anime with lazy artists

January 3, 2013 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  28. David

Another Asian here who isn't offended. In fact I find it hilarious! I mean, it's just a corny joke, and I'm a sucker for corny jokes :) With that said, I can also see how some, especially older people, find it offensive. They had to deal with very real racism which was pervasive in all levels of society in their days, so it's understandable that things like this bring back bad memories. For younger folks like us, though, true racism among our generation is only seen in the dregs of society (and admittedly, also many of our beloved parents, please forgive them!) and light hearted racism can actually be quite funny!

Bottom line, due to our different experiences, it's useless to debate whether something subjective like this is racist. Instead of doing that, let's simply celebrate the fact that our society has progressed fast enough that racial stereotypes went from being symbols of vicious racism for one generation to being subjects of banter for the next!

January 3, 2013 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. SixDegrees

What's not to like? Just add the ability to turn yourself into a southern baptist by donning a wife-beater shirt, slapping a Pabst in one hand and holding a textbook in the other with "Science" crossed out and "The Bible" scrawled over it.

January 3, 2013 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  30. routt66

Please, "18 million and rising" sounds like a threat more than a concerned group of citizens. Why does it matter if people play with race a little in this day and age. Having fun about our differences is the only way the stigma of beig different dies off. Why don't asians (theres over 2 billion) create an app for asians to white or asians to black. Have fun with it instead of dictating the definition of racism and discrimination over the supposedly free social media...

January 3, 2013 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  31. john b good

What about me, the middle aged white guy. Doesn't anybody want to look like me?

January 3, 2013 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex santarelliB

January 3, 2013 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  32. Aristotle

Sadly, in this country especially, people have been and continue to be mocked, ridiculed and bullied because of their color, and personal characteristics. If you've never been a victim of such intimidation it may be hard for you to comprehend the pain it causes. But for many people the pain runs deep. No, not everyone seeks to mock or cause pain in this way, but products such as the App under discussion provide easy access for those who do.

January 3, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  33. James

I am sick of reading all these over sensitive stories on the news, who cares! Get lives! Don't buy the app, and it will go out of buissness, and the owner/created wont be able to afford to keep it in the App Store. This isn't news!

January 2, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RON

I am asian-american, please lighten up and don't be so anal about something funny.

January 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

My kids were born in the 60s. They're half asian as their father is Chinese. They were harassed in school because of it. I don't find this funny at all.

January 3, 2013 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
      • TheBob

Are they still being harassed? They're 50 now. I'm sure they've grown a thick skin by now.

January 3, 2013 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

TheBob–do you think people have stopped making fun of others because of their skin color, or features? See all those black guys going after white women? They are not doing it just because they like white women (many sneak back to black girlfriends also) they do it to have babies with them so that their kids will not have to be treated like they were, Not saying all of them do it for that reason–but a lot of them do–and the fact that white women WILL sleep with them and accept them no matter how they look gives many the impetus to do this–many black men think of themselves as ugly and making a bi racial baby gives them the chance of changing the treatment for their offspring and the options .

February 9, 2013 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  35. Andrew

I'm Asian American (Korean-American) and I am not offended... People are so easily offended

January 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zach

I have a mutual respect for all races and ethnicities and don't find this sort of thing worthy of censorship. If you find the KKK repulsive, don't visit their website, similarly, don't download this application if you think this sort of humor offends your delicate sensibilities.

January 3, 2013 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Carol T

You (in the singular) cannot have mutual respect. It is just respect. Mutual involves two parties showing respect for each other/ Just being picky, and I don't mean this in a snotty way, but if people see things corrected, maybe their grammar will improve. It doesn't mean I think you are stupid or uneducated, and I mean no disrespect.

January 3, 2013 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  36. jBenz

Hey Google, how about an app called "Make Me Black" or "Make Me Hispanic"? Diversify guys!

January 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheBob

Google doesn't make these apps. Come back when you understand how this whole app thing works. Do not comment until then.

January 3, 2013 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  37. Tony

Google, however, "said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech". So why are there no "Make me black"?

January 2, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Alex

Do you have a good explanation why they have not made "Make me Caucasian" app ? No doubt they have the ability to make it and some people would buy. Maybe some white people actually would be offended ?

January 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ShowTime

I would get the app....but asians think they are white? True?

January 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Asian in Tennessee

I'm an Asian living in Tennessee...I am recommending this app to EVERYONE I know because I think it's funny. I am HONORED that Google has created an App to make someone look just like me...yes, I do have a rice paddy hat, but no mustache :)

I would LOVE to see an App to make me look "White"...seriously folks....this is just for fun....if this App gets taken down, then I guess all the other other Apps that have anything regarding race will be removed also. Ridiculous!

January 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • gale

Good for you. I am glad to know that not everyone thinks everything is racist. I am so sick of the racist card being played about everything. Some things are just for fun and my motto is if I can't laugh at myself who can I laugh at.

January 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShowTime

ha

January 3, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  40. Terra

Does that mean Americans should be offended over FatBooth photos?

January 2, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Hmm. If it was in Europe and labeled as "Make me American", perhaps.

January 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Asian in Tennessee

Great point Terra....I have not seen Weight Watchers or The Biggest Loser demanding the fat app be taken down.

January 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

Fat is not race directed–any one can get fat- and anyone can lose weight and stop being fat-BIG difference.

February 9, 2013 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  41. R.M.

Go back to the rock you live under.

January 2, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Hullaballo

Imagine what would happen if there was a "Make Me Muslim" app.

January 2, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • O'Rage

It would blow up?

January 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Star76

Umm.....best comment I've read in A WHILE!! And that's really the only reason I read CNN anymore...the awesome comments to the ridiculous "news" articles. :) You win today!

January 2, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShowTime

not only would it blow up, they would kill people

January 3, 2013 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Marti

I am so tired of this constant argument of "You wouldn't make that joke towards Muslims." As if to say, that the fear of retilation should dictate what is legal/illegal, right/wrong, in good/bad taste, etc. Incidently, if the joke is funnier by making the punchline about Muslims, then do it. Also, most good humor is about things the audience can relate to, so if you aren't Muslim, it is hard to make a joke that you will get involving them.

January 3, 2013 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

You think this app designer is Asian? why do americans take their humor from making fun of other races anyway? what is that all about?

February 9, 2013 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
      • TerriTerri

Americans get their humor out of making fun of other groups because of many reasons. Primarily, many have not traveled, don't speak foreign languages and only hang around with other Americans. They're so limited, especially mentally, and narcissistic, that they can't fathom how their derogatory comments can hurt others. I believe it's why so many people abroad have such a horrible perception of Americans. And sadly, even though I was born in the US, I have to agree.

February 26, 2013 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  43. Cj

I know plenty of minorities that can take a joke with elements of ethnicity mixed in. My friends and I have always held the opinion that someone is only a true racist if they believe that a race is inferior to another, and act accordingly, like refusing to shop at a certain store because it employs Latinos, blacks, or Asians, for example.

The problem is the organizations that like to tell people – minorities, in this case – what to think – that when someone makes a joke about a racial stereotype, that the people making the joke actually think that way or mean to offend. It's really a shame.

January 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Stridulous

I happen to be Asian but was born here and, consequently, have a local sense of humour. I am not offended whatsoever. If we can’t laugh at ourselves, make jokes (even racial ones, if they are funny) then, frankly, we become losers. The guy who is complaining certainly does not speak on behalf of the Asian community.

January 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • luckydice888

i tend to agree. I thought the screenshot of the app was actually pretty funny. still, there is a line between some edgy humor and outright prejudice, but I don't think this app is it.

January 2, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

Hmmm..I agree the app in itself is not prejudice BUT apps like this can help to create or foster prejudice. Just like caricatures of blacks and Jews were able to foster prejudice about those groups.

February 9, 2013 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • JMan

I agree. This is not an offensive app. What I do find offensive is people who are hyper-reactive against anything that even touches on their own racial background. It's okay to have fun with the Irish, Asians, Germans, Scots, African-americans, Australians and every other group on the planet if it is done without malice. Stereotypes exist for a reason: Because they are representative of a particular group of people. When I was a young boy I would ask my mom if we were American Indian and she replied "No, but I do like to tell my friends that I've got English, Irish, German, Welsh and a fifth of Scotch in me!" Now that is funny. Learn to laugh at yourself and you will enjoy life much, much more.

January 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenny

18 million people would have to disagree with you.

January 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  45. curious

what if you're already Asian? does it make you caucasian?

January 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

Caucasian people are derived from Middle Eastern people (the original people from the Caucasus Mountains) and Middle Eastern and Indian people who are also Caucasian –are believed to be derived from the Asian people==so now... try that joke again....

February 9, 2013 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  46. momo

just make a patch, and let it work for other ethnicity too(white, black, hispanic etc). problem solved
    people put too much emphasis on racism and stereotypes lol .

January 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • momo

just in case, I am a minority married to a beautiful asian woman, and we think its hilarious.

January 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

Minorities who marry outside their race and the people who marry them tend to have a different take on racism. some are more empathetic, while others practice a sort of self hatred and the reason they are marrying outside their own race is because they are rejecting it–so what you are and how you feel about this app says more only about YOU but does not mean every other Asian or minority has to agree or feel the same as YOU about anything.

February 9, 2013 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  47. Regan

The creator did it for the shock value. The fact we're talking about it proves that it worked.

January 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Alex

"Asian" does not mean people from Asia in many contexts. For example "I am an Asian girl" in a personal ad does not mean she is from Turkey or Saudi Arabia.

January 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Alex

They should really publish "Make me Caucasian" app for people of color. With as much "stereotypes" as they could. I would not be offended and I think it would protect their point that it is just for fun. Also the opposite is true, if they refuse to make "Make me Caucasian" app, accusing them of racism is not completely unfounded.

January 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  50. stupidstupidstupid

all these comments are so funny and made me realize how people are ignorant. we can just laugh about this app, not because it's really funny but because it's damn stupid. after seeing the picture above, i don't get it what is Asian look. the developer herself seems not have any idea where is Asia and what makes Asians. stupid. and come on people. i have to ask you. so you've never seen people making a fun of Asians with a finger gesture for making a slanted eyes. but as an Asian and as a well trevelled person, i've experienced a lot. in Europe and the U.S, it's no funny at all. and if something is insulting a certain group of people, only those people who objectified can tell it's insulting or not. you don't have any right to say about that. if we felt insulting. that's insulting and you guys made us feeling like that. shame on you.
    and the one who mentioned about the plastic surgery in Asia....why don't you read and try to understand more about this world.

January 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cj

The app was created by someone who felt that it would be funny to make something ridiculous. It's not meant to be serious. Anyone offended by it, including you, needs to lighten up in a serious way; from the sounds of things here, however, most Asians aren't really offended by it. Do you really think anyone believes that Asians actually look like that? I've never met anyone with a Fu Manchu, I've never handled a paddy hat. and I've only ever known one person with a bowl cut. I laughed at such pictures when I was younger, and still laugh at them because they don't even resemble an Asian. They resemble what I might jokingly say an Asian looked like back when I was in second grade, but I still knew better, even then. One of my friends growing up was Asian, and he didn't look anything like that.

Also, to be well-traveled just means you've been to a lot of places. It doesn't mean you're necessarily more knowledgeable about them. And you don't seem to have that much of an ability to take a joke. And it's not cool to make uneducated claims about another person's intellect when you've never met them. You might insult them.

January 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  51. The Flamingo Kid

GET OVER IT! There is NOTHING offensive about this at all.

January 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Isma'il

They sell products in Asia to help you look more white. Seriously, they sell products with the purpose of whitting your skin.

January 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. FT

I'm offended when people with curly hair wear straight hair wigs. NOT!

January 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Asian living in Asia

What about Asians dying their hair blond and making their eyes bigger than they actually are? Or undergoing cosmetic surgery to have higher noses and wearing colored contact lenses? Is that offensive? Lighten up people!

January 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  55. FT

That would been cool! They can make it work like "Flick Fishing"

January 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  56. doublefistpump

This Asian thinks that people offended by this need to lighten up and grow a sense of humor.

January 2, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Ann

People are just too easily offended these days. This app is NOT offensive, it is just playing dress-up! Every time a person wants to act out a part in a play, they usually dress in some stereotypical fashion. So what? Is anyone offended by that? Come on! The world has much bigger issues to worry about than this.

January 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. FT

It's called CNN...duh

January 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. fl45

Look at the number of installs at the app store. It increased 100 fold in the last 30 days. All these people accomplished was draw attention to it.

Lighten up people, i'm Russian and "Make me Russian" app by same author gives you a bushy beard, dark circles under eyes, and an alcoholic bulbous red nose, it made me laugh when i saw it. It sounds really boring going through life being offended by every little thing.

January 2, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  60. adam

How is it racist if I want to look like you......

January 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • fyre

Because you don't *want* to look like another race, you're dressing up to look like some ridiculous caricature of another race to make fun of *them*. There's a long history of that happening with blacks, Asians, Native Americans and Jews.

January 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Name*Tyler

Too funny!

January 2, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. FT

"Make Me Asian" app is not meant for Asians.................and I thought they were smart.

January 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  63. FT

See, now we're having fun.

January 2, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  64. woodie

It's funny but after I started doing portraits I discovered Asian's do not actually have slanted eyes. They have heavier eyelids. Clint Eastwood has slanted eyes. That is a European male trait.

January 2, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

No, Clint , like all humans, has round eyes. If you take the eyeball (called eyeball for a reason) out of it's socket, you can see it is round.

February 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Drew

How's about if they had a "Make Me Jewish" app and you go to use those stereotypical features to make your face ... a big nose, curly hair and all the other stereotypes? How'd that go over?

January 2, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dandude

I suspect there would be some busybody Jewish group that would go out of their way to write an angry letter. The public probably wouldn't care though, its amazing how quickly some people scramble to do whats popular In this case getting indignant.

January 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • FT

I'm a Jew and i was just going to post the same thing. I think it would be funny as poo. Like people do it anyway. We all poke fun at each other life is too short to make things like this an issue.

January 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • retwqaas

While that is true most people who poke fun at others from another race are friends with that kind of person. This is just ignorant. Its one thing for you and your friends to joke around at your homes because after the laughter you can sit and have a real conversation. This app just allows you to take whatever stereotype is in there and blast it out as if this is a fact. This will only create more and more young people who will have little to no respect for others attributes or customs.

January 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. George

This has to be the most backwards and outdated comment system I have ever seen. Its 2013 how about trashing this system and using a modern one

January 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Blushed Pink 104

This app isn't racist. A lot of these comments are though. It's a sad day for America.

January 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ArthurP

Meanwhile as reported on many other sites over the years Asians are undergoing plastic surgery to give themselves more Caucasian appearances..... and I never heard a peep of protests from Caucasians.

January 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Live

Do you read/edit your comments after you post them? Perhaps you should. Your comparison is so off-base it's embarrassing. Asian people get surgery to look like us "Caucasians" because they emulate us, to look more attractive because of Western culture. It's not for mocking or deriving some sort of amusement from.

January 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • FT

Did you ever wear costume on Halloween and have fun?

January 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

Actually they're not trying to look like white people. To do that they'd have to be able to alter their bone structure. What they're trying to do is be prettier Asians. You have no idea the importance Asians put on looks. I heard about one rich man in China who married a beautiful woman and they had a child. When she was about 7 she was ugly. As he himself was very handsome, he asked his wife, what gives? She says, oh, I had plastic surgery. He divorced her and married a beautiful woman who had NEVER had surgery. Obsessed with beauty!

January 3, 2013 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  69. humtake

Sorry, but slanted eyes is not racist. It is a characteristic. Those who think it is racist are insecure about who they are. Now, if they were letting people put slanted eyes on their pictures and the name of the app were something like "Make yourself look stupid", then sure, that is racist. But to use a characteristic to form a picture of someone from a certain ethnic background is just being logical. If I were to pay someone to paint a Korean man in a boat on a small river, and he drew the guy to look like Jesse Jackson...I'd want my money back. Would I then be considered racist for wanting my money back for not getting what I asked for?

January 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  70. GoPats

Glad to see the trolls are out in full force today!

January 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • FT

Thanks for noticing.

January 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  71. r belin

this author hates white people because the part of her that's best, white, is going to forever eclipse all her other jealous parts

January 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • veggiedude

There is only one race, the human race. What makes us different is culture.

January 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

Read up on The Human Genome Project.

January 3, 2013 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  72. Seriously Dude

Nice to basically assume an entire race thinks one way because of this. It's okay, us other "non-Asians" at least have to capacity to not be so narrow-minded. You need to go outside more and educate yourself instead of posting and looking like a fool.

January 2, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Brandon Curley

I've always wondered why some African Americans in the media and news will spin any situation that happens to another race and make it about them, downplaying the current issue and saying the offended race shouldn't be because African Americans have it worse.

January 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hip-hopper

They do have it worse... they're black.

January 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Hector Rules NJ

To the Writer of the article:

Native American and Indian are not the same; thought that would be obvious if you hold a job as a writer for CNN...

January 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

That's the name of the app...

January 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  75. RickJamesMemphis

Really? Offensive? So the next time my kid wants to dress up like a ninja for Halloween I should not do it because we arent Asian? I think people need to get a grip!

January 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

Any joke or stereotype about any human must stop. In fact, let's all stop laughing altogether. People with inferiority complexes might think we are laughing at them and buy a Bushmaster and go on a killing spree. From now on, only knock knock jokes are allowed, which must first be reviewed by the PC police, and a response no greater than a slight upturn of the mouth will be appropriate. Anyone caught playing Bingo other than old white folk will be imprisoned, anyone dressing up as a real person for Halloween will be sued, and if adults dress in clothes deemed to immature for their age they will be whipped for mocking our country's future. You have been warned.

January 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • TerriTerri

There's a saying, "Know what a man will laugh at, and you will know the character of that man." Why people want to laugh at and make fun of other human beings in a mean spirited way is beyond me. I don't see humor in making someone feel bad. You can say it's the person on the receiving end's fault for not having a thick skin, or being too 'sensitive', but when I see, hear or experience people making fun of other groups, I don't think poorly of the group members, I think the buffoon making the supposed 'joke' is just very, very ignorant. It takes brains to make jokes that don't offend. Any idiot can quickly make a 'joke' out of mocking or making fun of a group.

February 26, 2013 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  76. The Asian American Authority

Also... curious what will happen if she made a Make Me Black app? I say make it.

January 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  77. The Asian American Authority

I'm Asian American and found this disturbing moreso because they got the Fu Manchu wrong. Looks more like a Mexican Pedro mustache!

Please get this right so I can make fun of myself:)

January 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Jeremiah

your post holds a lot of truth to it. as racist as it may sound or whatnot, what usually goes is whatever the current ruling party or majority say is acceptable.

January 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Inky

An interesting feature in this app is the sound effect. When you take a picture the camera goes "crick".

January 2, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • DatsFunny

Me ricky dis comment

January 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Django

I'm not against this app as much as I am against the double standard we have in the U.S. of A regarding race. How is it that every race is open to mockery except African Americans. I understand the issue of slavery is a burden in our history but let's not use it an excuse for fairness.

January 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • cedar rapids

i think the point being made here is that no race should be open to mockery, not that its ok except for AA.

January 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

The real double standard is why do we need to make a mockery of any race anyway? And why is the one race who always leads the way in stuff like this the one race who has done the most denigrating to all the other races?

February 9, 2013 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  81. walker

Inferiority complex?

January 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • newyorkjsw

they are inferior! really.

January 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • macro

Yep... it's obvious Asians are lagging behind everyone else in the world. You sir, are brilliant. Keep posting!

January 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Bruce lee

Is there an app to make people smarter ?

January 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • r belin

uh huh, they played the for children on television and at the theater for years and years, still do, except the dude with your namesake kicked it about 16 years old and it lost its flare somehow not to mention wsting the endeavors of millions of stupid white kids taken in my money moguls

January 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  83. HAL9001

Do they make for Apple? I want it

January 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jared Hamelin

He who raffs rast, raffs roudest. – Ancient Chinese proverb

January 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • r belin

it goes like this:he who flaps past is really only passing gas

January 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Chris

iIt IS funny to make you look asian. Welcome to America !

January 2, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Adam

I am Asian American. I don't remember ever seeing any Asian with the fu manchu mustache. I don't see how it's offensive. It's like the app that can make you look older. Do you offend old people for using that app?
    If other people in other races want to look like Asian, let them do it.

January 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

They don't want to look Asian. They want to be able to make fun of Asian people–and they want Asian people to be okay with them doing that. They thank you for bending over and taking it so well– are you also available for parties? I hear they need someone to reenact Bruce Lee and Charlie Chan...

February 9, 2013 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

Asian American...is that like African American but only Asian? Word to the wise, White people do not like it when other races list their ethnicity along with being American. you can be just American or you can be Asian–but you cannot list that you are American of Asian descent–that drives them crazy–or at least it does when blacks do it. LOL

February 9, 2013 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  86. ug

I think it is funny...so who really cares!

January 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mitchell

Though its not anything id care yo waste my time doing its just a silly fun app, .Sometimes we take things way to seriously and we lose focus of the big picture causing real major issues such as discrimination and racism to get bogged down by such minor silly so called offenses.

January 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • r belin

well, now we can rest easy 'cause its all about ug getting her giglgles

January 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |