December 26th, 2012

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive

By Sarah Edwards, CNN

(CNN) – The maker of a Google app thinks it's fun to make yourself look Asian by changing the shape of your eyes and wearing a Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

Another app - "Make Me Indian" - makes you a Native American with brown skin, war paint and a feather headband.

“This is just a fun app (that) lets you indulge you and your friends," says the description of the "Make Me Asian" app created by user KimberyDeiss and available on Google Play.

"You can for a few seconds to make (yourself) a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other Asians," the description says.

Not amusing or cute, say Asian-American organizations that launched a petition to get Google to remove both apps.

The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians and Native Americans, said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans in the United States.

“These racist and offensive portrayals of Asians and Native Americans perpetuate damaging racial stereotypes and should not be distributed on the Google play store," said the campaign, which has an online petition to remove the apps.

Google, however, said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech.

"We don't comment on individual apps," Google said in a statement. "We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies."

KimberyDeiss makes other photo-altering apps including "Make Me Old" and "Make Me Fat." There's also "Make Me Russian" and "Make Me Irish," which play off stereotypes.

But the furor in the Asian-American community, sparked a few weeks ago, is growing. Blogs, including Angry Asian Man, have reinforced the call to remove the apps.

Washington pastor Peter Chin decided to mount an even larger protest on the website Change.org.

Chin said he understood Google's motto is "Don't be evil." That makes it hard to fathom why the company would support these apps, he said.

This is the first time Chin has protested in this way. He was prompted to act, he said, because Google refused to do so.

“Google normalizes everything from Google maps, Gmail," he said. "If you want to search for something on the Internet, you even say to 'Google it.'"

Chin feared Google's power would make people think the apps were OK.

"I wanted to make sure this app isn’t given a pass of approval," he said.

Chin said he wants Google users to know that the stereotypes in the apps have been used to marginalize and discriminate against people.

"It's not cool," he said.

CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report.

Filed under: Asian in America • Discrimination • Ethnicity • How we look • Native Americans • Race
soundoff (1,351 Responses)
  1. bear92

Apps like this is funny until kids use it to make fun of other kids. Kids in school are already vulnerable to crazy outsiders. This is another tool kids will use to make fun of other peers in particular Asian kids. Guns can kill many in an instant. Apps like these can also hurt or cause harm to children. And the worse part, it's their own peers who are causing the hurt. We already have enough distractions in classroom. We don't need more junk apps like these.

December 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renegatus

Of course some idiot has to compare guns with whatever the issue of the day is. "Google apps are dumb... also, guns kill many people". Thanks for the intelligent insight.

December 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CTC3

bear92 – kids do this anyway. They don't need apps or any other means to do this. If someone is different than they are, they will make fun of them. I have a boy that is shorter that others his age, they make fun of him. At one time it bothered him, but I helped him work through it and now he just laughs them off. Think about it. Kids that make 'Cs' and 'Ds' make fun of those that make straight 'As'. Kids that make straight 'As' make fun of those that make 'Cs' and 'Ds'. My son was showing me an app that takes the face of anyone you want and makes them this dancing Elf. Is that a proble, I think not.

December 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

February 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

OKAAAAY....Your reply shows so much insight except you forgot a really big one–people can change. a short kid can grow–as he gets taller other kids become the ones who are laughed at for being so short, so over time, the bullying (and that is what it is) stops or diminishes. Fat kids can lose weight...a C or D student can get better grades all of these things are CONDITIONAL and all races never take them seriously–because ALL RACES have short people, fat people, lazy people, etc. Things that cannot change or be modified or hidden as easily mean the "take a joke" or "lighten up syndrome is expected FOR LIFE. We expect to be able to make fun of people–by dint of skin color or lips size or eyes or nose shapes? Race does not change–it is NOT a condition it is a state and when a person has been designated due to a STATE to being the butt of a joke–it does not change when they get older. people do not outgrow their race–the same qualities which make them a butt of jokes is used by others to not want them to live next to them or eat next to them in restaurants or work with them at a job–and covert things often are done to ensure they remain in certain areas AWAY from the people who dislike them–THIS is what racism is and instead of wondering why people don't get over ugliness you have to wonder about the race that always seeks it out–that finds pleasure in this–you say kids always do things like this–but really they do what they learn and are taught and what their families engender to be okay and right–I never teased people due to race or skin color or their grades or their weight–it is a learned ugliness and was not tolerated in my household. I see so many wanting to be ugly and rude –for fun and wanting others to "lighten up" and the only thing I see is racial discord, deliberately sown by people so lost that they don't know anymore (or perhaps never knew) what all the fuss is about. It is about human dignity–Asians don't need to get over this app–white American needs to get over its needs/tastes to denigrate all other races. Got it?

February 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fiona

But Google approved this at some level, if it's available on "Google Play". The "make me Asian" version is patently offensive. "Make me Russian" is, on the other hand, a funny idea because it's not a racial stereotype, but one of (low) character.

December 27, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Miked

Sorry, I meant "common sence". But history has shown that too much racial pride leads to the act humiliating other races. Freedom is worth nothing without a healthy dose of humility. I didn't mean to single any race out. Let's focus on the things that we all have in common, not our differences, unlike this stupid and offensive app.

December 27, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. JJ

Time for some people to get a life and go whine about something else.

December 27, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Hey JJ are you Asian?

December 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Larry

Next it will be Blacks......already we see where the Black race has been portrayed as gorillas, etc @ football games and other sporting events. Why do we have to make fun of our differences? Are we THAT bored with life?....Anyone who cannot see through this racism charade is a RACIST themselves!! Wake up!!!!

December 27, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rebecca

The problem here is stereotyping. There are pretty and not-so-pretty people in every race. If someone made an app called “make me American” that makes you look ugly, fat, broad face and short neck, I would feel offended too.

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. anchorite

The right wing here is being pretty hypocritical with it's "it's a joke, get over it" line when they go ballistic if you ever refer to a "marine" as a "soldier" or get offended that you call a "private security contractor" a "mercenary."

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Larry

What if, and bear with me here, an Asian tries to use this app?

December 27, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I'm pretty sure their computer would explode.

December 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • LegalIsRight

Google just to be fair create a "Make me a white person app"- that person needs to be holding a AK 15 and we need bodies scattered around.

January 2, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. An Asian American

They need to make an app 'Make me white' I wonder what they will do? Nothing? Why? Because there's nothing interesting! Oooooooooooooo. -__-

-sorry, just needed to rant.

December 27, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • jason

haha I'm white and even i find that funny. Which begs to ask the quesiton, why would a white app be offensive and would white people take it as offensive? I don't think so but hey,the same rules turned out wouldn't make it racist

December 27, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

I like that one!!

December 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hatefulhappy

I am a white round eye, can I pay for that with my credit card? See the other way around isnt so bad.

December 27, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. pete y.

People who do not find this offensive are ignorant of the history of Asians in America, how they were treated, and the propaganda associated with the wars in Vietnam, Korean, and Pacific WWII theater. Empathy and communication implies that you understand not just yourself but how others might interpret meaning.

December 27, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kevin Nivek

I work alongside a beautiful Chinese girl (who was born and raised in the US) and she loves these kinds of apps. Everyone has a cause these days. Everyone feels a need to point out how they are being discriminated against. I'm fat. When I first saw that greeting card where the fat woman is looking for her dog, and only we can see that it's trapped between her planet-sized cheeks, I got a big laugh out of it. I didn't demand a Hallmark boycott because my greasy, fat feelings were hurt.

December 27, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • pete y.

I would submit a thought experiment for you... is it offensive to ridicule, demean, and belittle a human being? Now what if those actions were conducted in a foreign language which the person you are offending does not understand. Is that still offensive? I would argue that what is offensive is the action and the meaning, implications, and history behind those actions rather than whether the "target" understands it.

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

What if a foreigner says all Americans are fat and ugly?

December 27, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
      • Roomie Rob

@Rebecca ....what if? Foreigners already do! And it's funny! There is a fine line when it comes to racial stereotyping and it's very easy to cross because people are too sensitive nowadays. You just have to know when and where is the right time such matters.

Lisa Lampanelli is a well-known stand-up comedian and is well known for her racial stereoptype jokes (gays, latinos, jews, etc) and she is able to provide that comic relief without offending a certain group! I am Hispanic and if someone made a "Make me Latino" app, I would find it hilarious.

December 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mike bubble

I'm going to create a "Make me Gay" app. Then I'll make a "Make me a Jew" app. Next, that's right, "I wanna be Black" app.

December 27, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Gordio

Someone needs to make heycanl a sarcasm detection app.

December 27, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Just downloaded make me asian and indian. Very funny and hilarious. I am part Indian and my wife is Korean and we were not offended. Grow up, it is just fun.

December 27, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
      • hatefulhappy

u guys might break it lol

December 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Grammar Nazi

You're*

December 27, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Daniel

Wow. Pretty racist comment right there Miked. You're making assumptions that only white people would use an app like this. You're part of the problem also.

December 27, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  16. gary gordon

What happen to a free country???
    The more stuff like this offends people and our rights are taken away the more we will become a dictatorship
    I thought the thing with a free country is that you are going to get offended from time to time
    But that is what the government wants
    To take away as many freedoms as they can
    Offend people
    It is your freedom to do so
    If they take this away
    You won't be able to do or say anything
    Because there will always be someone who is offended

December 27, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • ReggieMoto

What are you talking about? As long as the government doesn't intervene to force the removal of the app then freedom remains safe. If an obnoxious, offensive Google app is taken down due to market/economic forces (i.e. the will of the people through bad press and boycotts) then that's the first amendment hard at work and capitalism at its best. Stop being so reactive and brush up on what you think you know something about so that you actually do.

December 27, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Maran B

If it is your right to do whatever you want, then it is ok for me to use an app that makes me Caucasian. Isn't that so? Only those who knows how it feels to be made fun of, teased and bullied, should have a say. If you don't, just listen.

December 27, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Angry Irish/German/Native American/French Guy

Yes! It is completely within your right to make a "Make Me Caucasian" app, even though, if you read the article, they already make a "Make Me Irish" and "Make Me Russian". If someone is using these to be racist, that's one thing, but if it's just for a cheap laugh (and honestly, that's all it is) then what is the big deal? If you don't support it, then don't support it. You don't have to block everything that you don't support.

Also, on a side note, how is it okay to call all white people Caucasian? Just a passing thought, might not be a winner, but isn't that kind of insensitive to each "white" person's ancestry? As long as we're making such a big deal of things of yesteryear, I dare say that I'm proud of my ancestry and find it offensive for you to brush over it with such a broad term. I block your usage of that word, and if you continue to use it, then you, sir, are a racist.

December 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • anchorite

The only "rights" that anyone wants to take away are the rights to complain about an app, being taken away by YOU. Nobody is allowed to complain about an app now? I thought this was a free country. We can stereotype Asians nationwide with a Google app but Gary Gordon says nobody is allowed to have free speech to criticize it.

December 27, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Spencer7171

Read a book called Fahrenheit 451.

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. Martin

The tone of this article suggests that being black or Asian is somehow inferior. I thought these days were behind us.

(BTW - Isn't there a "Make Me European" variant?)

December 27, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mike

For god's sake, lighten up and learn to laugh at things, you'll live longer. There is nothing that doesn't offend somebody anymore...which is the real thing that should be protested, not a fricken app.

December 27, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jarda cervenka

Everybody is sensitive, offended, complex inferiority ridden, intolerant, tolerant of intolerance. Sooo primitive. Define racism, first: racist is that fellow, who is sure that GENETICALLY some races are inferior. (Which they are only due to environmental factors – see West Africans) Otherwise we are all about of the same IQ, (But some more ugly than others, race regardless. – haha.) This is professor of genetics speaking..

December 27, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • G

You got your degree online didn't you?

December 27, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  20. Bob Loblaw

Funny how it's okay to make fun of white people but don't DARE make fun of other cultures or races in this world because you just MIGHT offend someone.
    Stereotypical or not, apps like this are humorous, NOT racist. There's one for "Make me White" so what's the problem? The fat one is funny too.
    I'm so tired of the whoa is me generation, get a sense of humor and move on. Not one of you knows what it was like 100 years ago or 200 years ago so stop being selfish.

December 27, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

We get it, you are tired. It takes a lot of effort to be polite, fair, and understanding. And then someone comes along and says it isn't enough. It is a hard lesson. But when you see people trying to make the world a better place, don't you think it would be easier to let them rather than get in their way? Or do you think that offending or being offended is somehow positive and worth protecting?

December 27, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ron

I'm Asian... and I'm offended by other Asians always creating a big deal about nonsense like this! Asians are always rounding each other up and convincing other Asians that they SHOULD be offended. It's a @#$%ing app, so what? Is this actually saying that Asian people are bad? How? No, it's not! Chill out! You're giving the rest of us a bad name!

December 27, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • G

You're not Asian

December 27, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

Ron, please look up the history of Yellowface and Yellow Peril and it'll show you the issues that come up with something like this. It's been around a very long time, and continues to effect our communities... the political exclusions, acceptance in industries, and VIOLENCE.

This should not be acceptable, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

December 28, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. AGeek

If you're offended by stuff like this, you're simply seeking to be offended. Heck, perhaps you *needed* to be offended. If this is so large a problem in your life that you feel compelled to protest, you've got it better than 99.9999999% of the planet. Instead, get offended about something real. Do something about that. Make society a better place, don't just sit there and whine.

December 27, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

When other people get offended, it is trivial. When you get offended, its serious. Got it. Where did you find that illuminating statistic?

December 27, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
      • hatefulhappy

This is called putting words in peoples mouth children

December 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • AGeek

What offends me is how petty people like yourself can be, Joe Christian. You can joke about my heritage all you'd like. You'd need to break a sweat to even *try* to offend me with inane crap. There are actual problems in society that *you*, yes YOU can help solve. You have a unique set of skills and life experiences you can lend to the problem. You can make life a little better for your fellow human. Instead, you want to play petty. Give the rest of us a break. Go outside. Do something good for someone else.

December 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

I don't assume to know who you are or what is important to you. But you write that you know what impact this will have on others, despite publicl statements that stereotyping is an ongoing problem? By ignoring people that you don't know, continuing to happily place "fun" labels on them without even trying to understand them, and then attacking their position when they speak up, you are happily hurting them.
        The best and easiest way to make the world a better place is to become more inclusive. But to do that we have to be willing to engage people that are different from ourselves, and see that the reality is different from what we expected.

December 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joe

I can't wait for a Make my Mohammad app!

December 27, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  24. Floyd D. Barber

Awesome...all this did was make me download the app!!

December 27, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. MrApplesauce

Anyone else find if funny the creators name was Kimbery?

December 27, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  26. Ed

People who whine about silly apps like this are offensive.

December 27, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  27. Futureman1

You can't blink these days without offending some defender of their faith or ethnicity...but this is actually hysterical... you could do any group of people... Irish, German, Mexican, Arabian,... but the world is filled with those with no sense of humor.. so I won't be suprised if Goggle rolls over on this..

December 27, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • DT60093

Organizations, in particular, have no sense of humor. They must see that taking offense is part of their mission.

December 27, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  28. rightospeak

There should not be a discussion or articles written on google apps. The apps are stupid and offensive to any INTELLIGENT person. But since so much of our media is stupid and offensive tabloid "news" , nothing suprizes me any more. Even CNN is getting into tabloid mode lately when they run out of propaganda.Maybe they think that NBC is doing the right thing by being tabloid. In my view , CNN is making a big mistake .When you imitate garbage, you become garbage.
    Making fun of any group is for the foolish elavation of their miserable status in life.

December 27, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  29. Charley

Plenty of things offend people these days, this app is not against the law nor is it against google's ethics.

The only thing this article is doing is making this app more popular.. and google will not bend to the will of others and pull this app for no reason.

I have an idea for sensitive types, grab a hankie and wipe your tears because nobody really cares what you think. It's a funny app.

December 27, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • stn109

Yeah I agree even though I do find the app racist (and yes I'm Asian). If this is the extent of racism I will feel in my lifetime compared to what my parents dealt with then I feel fortunate. Basically Google is about as broad as the 1st amendment in terms of their policies for these apps. It is up to us what we do with this freedom. We can abuse it and do as little with it as we wish. For every app like this there are so many more that entertain, help and educate the masses. So if we have to put up with this one app, eh whatever. I respect the app creator's right to make whatever apps they choose and voice whatever opinions they have. I do not respect them as a person because I don't respect morons.

December 27, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. NoTags

Really, don't we have more important things to worry about than a stupid Google app?

December 27, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

If you are curing Cancer, you may be excused from the discussion.

December 27, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
      • MJ

Go away Joe Christian. We get it you are offended, and have self esteem issues.

December 27, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Your targeted and exclusive comment did more to explain how processes like racism/bullying start than I ever could have. Thanks for the microcosm.

December 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. stn109

App doesn't make you smarter. Some stereotypes are hard to fake.

December 27, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  32. Vidyashanti

We have bad habit of irritating people of other ethnicity. We try to irritate people by attacking other religions, their dress, their way of worship, how they look. This is arrogance. We think we are superior race and can kick around people at our whims. We do good work all round the world, people respect us but that does not mean that we have licence to play with other people's emotions. We need to be sensitive and grow up.

December 27, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  33. geeworker

Just as offensive as saying Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

December 27, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  34. Teddy Hwang

Stereotype in any form is racist. Google is finally showing it's real face.
    Bad enough to be a racist and now also a hypocrite. Shame on you!

December 27, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

No Teddy it's not racist. The term you are looking for is bigotry.

December 27, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Engrish101

Tsk, tsk... No Paul, when citing something, use quotation marks, and don't forget the comma after addressing someone. Here's your post written without mistakes:

No Teddy, it's not "racist." The term you are looking for is "bigotry."

December 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. james

Angry Asian Man might want to look in the mirror.

December 27, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  36. Stephen in VA

Agree that anything that supports and enhances stereotypes should be removed. That said, folks seem to miss the distinction between "stereotypes" and "physical characteristics." Asian people identify where other Asians are from based on certain physical characteristics, and that's okay, but somebody puts that into an app and it's bad? C'mon.

December 27, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

Which characteristics, specifically, are you referring to?

December 27, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Stephen in VA

Okay, to be polite I'll just suggest that maybe you didn't read the article fully before jumping to the comments. Go back and read what this app does and how it does it and then you'll know what physical characteristics.

December 27, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Sigh...

Don't be an idiot Joe.

December 27, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

No seriously... Was it the hat? the moustache? which one was not a stereotype? Or do you have a different definition than everyone else? Sorry for being an idiot, but it is hard to understand that which does not make sense.

December 27, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • james

To be fair please ask the developers make an app for blacks as well.

December 27, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr Tickles

Stephen, no one seems confused in this article. The stereotype, by definition, is taking a trait that applies to some of a particular group and assuming that it applies to all. All asians do NOT wear a conical hat, though some do. All Chinese people do NOT have almond-shaped eyes, though some do. All blacks do NOT have large nostrils, though some do (myself included). This does perpetuate ideas and images that the Asian community has worked hard to overcome during the last half century, brother.

December 27, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  37. empresstrudy

Liberals have NEVER considered Asians to be a legitimate minority class before. They are to be swatted down by affirmative action just like the white students. All of a sudden they wring their hands and beat their chests? Self serving nonsense.

December 27, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

Why are you making racism a political issue? Are you implying that there is correlation between parties and racism? Are you trying to redefine racism?

December 27, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  38. empresstrudy

I'm guessing most liberals would get a good laugh and then claim the Jewish controlled banks, media and government is following them.

December 27, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  39. temp

I've DL the app and, should Google delete it, am more than willing to share it. Just let me know!

December 27, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • tomo

Make sure you share it with your friends at this week's Klan meeting.

December 27, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
      • Charley

It's actually a pretty funny app! I downloaded and have been laughing with my kids making them 'asian'. I guess all comedians should be banned since they offend almost all races as well! Grow up people!

December 27, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. nytw

Another example of how liberals go out of their way to find something to complain about.

December 27, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

Or everyone could just surrender to your comment, because who needs to improve themselves, anyways? Not even you believe that. This isn't about politics. This is racism. If you think racism is acceptable, just say so. At least then you will have a consistent position.

December 27, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

I would first say that it takes a lot of courage to not be a hypocrite. I would then say admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. Finally, I would say that there is much work to do, but be patient with people. Everyone is racist, it is just a matter of degree.

December 27, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  41. Arec Baldwin

Most supermodels are white, just FYI

December 27, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Stupid racist! There should not even be a discussion. If you dont realize this is racist, that is probably because you are a racist.

December 27, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
      • MJ

Joe, you seem to be the most offended and insecure individual on here. The day racism will go away is the day that we don't have to define ourselves by race at all. We can laugh at our differences, we can define ourselves by our actions and what we do vs. "demanding" equality in a world where there is no grand conspiracy by the majority to hold individuals back. The more certain groups "complain" and race bait (here's looking at you Al Sharpton), the more others look "down' upon them because they keep screaming "I need special help". There are plenty of suffering individuals of all races and cultures around the world. And guess what, we all are walking in this life together.

December 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

If attacking me personally makes you feel less racist, than it is your crutch, not mine. If you want the world to stay exactly the same, then you'll need that crutch for a long time.

December 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. DCC0

As a Native American I am offended as hell at the Make me Indian app with its "IndianMaker" after looking up screenshots.

I'm told by people quite often that "I don't look Indian" despite being native. I'm a member of a federally recognized tribe, my grandmother was in a freaking Indian boarding school, and I have family on the rez! Do you want me to wear a feather, blanket, paint, and moccasins around so I'm not so racially ambiguous for you?

Things like this only perpetuate stereotypes as to what we "should look like".
    People can be incredibly stupid. Even small things like this add to the problem.

December 27, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

and I thought you were an American.

December 27, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • empresstrudy

What about the famous fake indian anti pollution ad from the 70's.

December 27, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I think i am more offended that you keep referring to your self as an Indian, Indian's are from India!!

December 27, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Tara

The commenter never referred to him or her self as Indian. He inferred that others have, but in every instance when he is talking about his own race he says native or Native American.

December 27, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
      • DCC0

Try reading what I wrote again, I never did refer to myself as Indian.
        What I said was:
        I'm told by people quite often that "I don't look Indian" despite being native. Meaning other people responded like that to me and I called myself native.
        I only called the boarding school Indian because that's what they're referred to as...Indian boarding schools.
        You don't hear them being called Indigenous American boarding schools or Native American boarding schools. Back then we were only Indians to everyone.

And if we want to I see no problem with us calling ourselves Indians, American Indians, or whatever we want now. We were mislabeled ages ago and it has kind of stuck. If my aunties that grew up calling themselves Indians want to keep saying it and people want to create NDN PRIDE bumper stickers more power to them. It's our choice.

December 27, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  43. Tutuvabene

Asians, chill out. If you don't like it don't look at it. There are many people in Asia who do look lilke that, so it's more than just a stereotype. Maybe the site needs to push the envelope and have a "make me black" and "make me Jewish" section.

December 27, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo

December 27, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Dood

This is so true. I'm white and I'm appalled at all the Asian mockery that goes on. Racism just jumped from blacks and browns to yellows. I don't get it.

December 27, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
      • Justin

"Google would never allow a "Make me black" app, or a "Make me Jewish" app. Asians are the one racial group that you can mock and belittle, and no one cares. Says a lot about American white people."
        ----------------------
        Just as your comment says a lot about you. You stereotype "American white people" as the problem. Also asians are not alone as one of the few groups that can still be belittled, white people, and christians are prime targets as well.

December 27, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
      • ctasf

red heads too

December 27, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
      • Bob Loblaw

says the person with the screen name of "BOO"

December 27, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • larry

i'm sure blacks wont have a problem with a 'make me black' app...cant say so for the jews tho. being mad at an app like this is like me being mad when my white friedns 'yo' and 'bro' when they are around me... y'all should be happy someone is tryna look like u.....btw dont asians assume all blacks are criminals and inferior? suck it up folks

December 27, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  44. Joe Christian

Anyone that wants the world to be a better place, especially for children.

December 27, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  45. Deez

I can definitely see how this would be offensive to people. But, at the same time, if there was an app to make a black person white or an Asian person "round-eyed", I think it would be hilarious (using some stereotypical, "offensive" white-trash outfit). (I'm white)

December 27, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  46. Akim

Yeh u r right, they look exactly Like your name .....

December 27, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  47. Joe Christian

I can how it will offend some and not others. It is racist, by definition. Even if you are not offended you should admit it is racist. The fact is everyone is racist to some degree, and we would make more progress if we stopped reserving the word "racist" for just the worst offenses. Racism isn't a choice, it is part xenophobia and part culture. It takes real effort and a little humility to admit that we have racist tendencies. I applaud those that are willing to speak up so our children will be a little less racist than we are. It is a golden opportunity, a teachable moment. Google is no angel in this, but neither am I, and neither are you. When we focus on the things that make us different it makes everything more difficult.

December 27, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • anon

Is it though? The main problem with the racial argument is they have never identified who made the "make me asian" app. If you look it up on play and research the app a bit more on the web you find to no surprise that the app was made by an asian. Quit getting your panties in a wad and open your eyes. you can hate the app and call it what you want but obviously the asian creator of make me asian understands that embracing a stereotype and owning it in the name of humor breaks down racial walls. People really need to be a little less touchy.

December 27, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
      • jorgath

News flash: it IS possible to be racist against your own race. I know plenty of black people who don't like other black people. Especially African-African vs. African-American racism (and vice versa)

December 27, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Yes it is racist by definition. You can't assume that an asian can't be racist. That's a racist view in itself. But if that individual wants to conform to stereotypes, its probably because it is culturally acceptable. The definition of racism doesn't depend on what proportion of the population is offended or apologetic.

December 27, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
      • MJ

Bingo!! Someone actually gets it: "understands that embracing a stereotype and owning it in the name of humor breaks down racial walls". As long as it "matters" it will always "matter" and will continue to breed resentment. When it doesn't "matter" is when it largely goes away.

December 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it, or the fallacy in your reasoning.

December 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Andrew

If it supports stereotypes, it's racist.

December 27, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  49. jt884

Where's the "Make me American" app where I'd gain 200 lbs and 3 extra chins?

December 27, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Spencer

Did you not see the "make me fat" app in the article?

December 27, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  50. metekamil

This is clearly taking something out of context. Clearly this app is not meant to be racist. Its an attempt to see "what would i look like if i was this...or that..." not a hate app, as depicted by some of the comments. Yes there are racist people out there and yes some people commit hate crimes. But personally, I don't think this deserves the type of attention given.

December 27, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

Intent is not a context prerequisite for racism. If that were true, ignorant people would not be racist.

December 27, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
      • Tyler Durden

Actually, you should look up the defintion of the word. Racist – a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.

December 27, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Yes, I'm familiar with the definition. Where do you see "intentional" in there?

December 27, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Tpifire

And where did you see anything in this app that supports the idea that some physical characteristics are superior to others?

December 27, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Just from the picture it is clearly saying you can make an asian by assembling a few stereotypical features together. Are you really going to make the argument that propogating stereotypes is somehow unrelated to racism? Inaccurate generalizations do suggest that a race is somehow inferior or superior. I'm glad at least that you are focusing on the definitions so we can have a good discussion about it.

December 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Ray

I'm Asian and I can't say I'm offended by this.

BUT...... I can see why people are offended and for all you folks that are saying they shouldn't be..
    THINK ABOUT THIS...
    They released an app to make you Asian and another app to make you Indian.
    How about if they released an app that made you Black? If that was the case, trust me, you will see much more people saying these apps are racist.

December 27, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  52. cynix

Too bad there's not a "Make Me a Better Person" app.

December 27, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  53. Scott

I wonder if she is writing the Asian group a thank you letter. This news article is likely going to give her app a massive bump. She will likely make significant money because of the groups complaint.

December 27, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  54. Peel Layer

Actually Joe, your comments are offensive but one thing I know about westerners that I can easily say is the fact that while the world was under the rule of the West for just a few centuries, your ideology has destroyed the world in less time than any other culture.
    Leave all others alone with the discriminatory destructive ways!!!!

Peel Layer

December 27, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • James

Do you not think Hitler would have destroyed the world if he would have had the power to do so?

December 27, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  55. kamarasune

Funny how the negative example also used the image of a woman....

December 27, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Deez

Because women are offensive to you?

December 27, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  56. It's Me I'm Just A Penguin

Yes of course and when I hear people talking about how all people are fat white bread and cant dance etc I'm supposed to just chuckle and play along with the joke. Get a life people, as many have pointed out in the comments, people from Asian countries are extremely racist themselves. This app is obviously just for a laugh, anyone who feels hurt or abused by a representation of the culture they come (accurate or otherwise) isn't very proud of that culture, in my opinion.

December 27, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo

People from Asian countries don't commit hate crimes like in white countries. Don't compare Asian racism to white racism. It's not even close. If you walked down the street in any Asian country, you would never be looked down upon or called names, or beaten or dragged behind a pickup truck. All this and more happens in white countries.

December 27, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Stupidsailor

Asians have never been involved in a hate crime? Have you ever taken a world history class, ever? I can also assume you've never traveled abroad to the Pacific Rim if you don't think the average non-Asian person gets a few dirty looks. I'm in their country, who cares what they want to think of me? The difference is that I don't let it bother me. I'm of Middle Eastern and Caucasian decent for reference. People need to pull their panties out. Stereotypes exist for a reason. As long as you're not ignorant enough to base hate or assume they're a steadfast rule, then they're nothing more than a statistic.

December 27, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Ciro

I am of South Asian descent, and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Asians are some of the most ethnicity and race-conscious people on the face of the planet. Skin color, facial structure, height and social status matter in every single Asian country. Try being a black-skinned South Asian, trying to marry a fair-skinned North Indian. You would understand racism then.

December 27, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  57. tdcherry

if i wanted to make myself look asian, i'd use photoshop.

December 27, 2012 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Nightwriter

So what? Are you just trying to prove you know what photoshop is?

December 27, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  58. tdcherry

lizardking is right and mltngunmtl is just plain wrong. perhaps mltngunmtl has never been out of the usa and thinks only americans can be racists. don't be so smug in you ignorance.

December 27, 2012 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  59. Quentin

Want to see real racism? Spend a couple of weeks in an Asian country.

December 27, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

That's not racism, that's xenophobia.

December 27, 2012 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
      • tdcherry

lizardking is right and mltngunmtl is just plain wrong. asia is rife with racism. maybe mltngunmtl has never been outside the usa, and thinks only americans can be racist. calling asian racism "xenophobia" makes light of a serious problem here.

December 27, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
      • longshot

racism, xenophobia – looks like this app will be a bigger success with the Tea Party

December 27, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • LizardKing

Yeah, and they are not just racist to whites but other Asian groups as well.

December 27, 2012 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
      • mltngunmtl

That's still xenophobia... -_-'

December 27, 2012 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
      • jorgath

mltngunmtl: racism is a form of xenophobia.

December 27, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo

And how many hate crimes do Asians ever commit anywhere against other races? The white countries are full of hate crimes. Gimme a break. Any Asian growing up in America has to deal with crap all their lives, but whites are looked up to all around the world. I challenge you to compare the number of Asian hate crimes with white.

December 27, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
      • ep

Boo, you don't get to throw out a hypothesis (that there are more white hate crimes than asian hate crimes) without presenting information to support it then challenge other people to prove you wrong... that's a nonsensical argument. If that's your position, then you should be the one bringing facts to the table. As presented, it comes across as something you just made up, and are hoping that other people won't bother potentially proving you wrong.

If you are correct, let's see the details. Otherwise, all you're doing is making noise.

December 27, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
      • peacefulsolutions

Can't we all just agree that every race suffers from ignorance and racism and that none of us are perfect? I think that this app should have make me black, make me white make me american, make me British and anything else we can think, make me a freaking robot! Its all about getting a laugh and as long as we keep that in mind there should be no issue.

No one is completly without prejudice, whether you shake your head at the guy with tattoos on his face and assume he is a murderer or look down at a woman in the grocery store using food stamps and assume she is jobless. Poking fun at the stereo types is fun. Lisa Lamponeli is the Queen of mean, she makes fun of everybody, no one is singled out because she makes fun of all races....does that make her a racsict or a realist?

Bottom line is that we all belong to the only race that really matters at the end of the day...The Human Race...everything else is trivial. LIve like you mean it, laugh as often as you can and be good to those around you.

December 27, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
      • Lisa

Asia is full of hate crimes. Haven't you heard about the race riots in China? And what about the way SE Asians are treated in other Asian countries. Not even to mention historical events like the Nanjing Massacre, 228 Incident, and others.

December 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Heather Halligan

It is a bit of fun. I don't see anything negative about Asian, Black, Hispanic, White, or other ethic group. If this a news item, why not write an article that highlights Asians who have plastic surgery to change the shape of their eyes, permanently. Yes folks, this is still being done.

December 27, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

Thanks for bringing up that topic because then we can ask why that is so.

December 27, 2012 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

A bit of fun? A fu manchu mustache and a rice paddy hat? That is not fun it is racist.

December 27, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  61. jeremy2020

How is this news? Also, why is it a 'Google' App and not an Android app? Is CNN really that desperate?

December 27, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  62. mlg4035

The only thing this app does well is show us the utter ignorance of its creator...

December 26, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Chris

Typo at the end: could not scroll to fix. Garbage site.

Unrelated: CNN's website is the ONLY place where i have to wait for tphree minutes for each word to show up. Guess they're too busy with high profile stories like this one to make a functional website. Actual unbiased news, functional website, and accountable moderation of all services. Put these into play and you too, could be a real news aource.

December 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. CAtahd

Im not even asian but this seems pretty stereotypical to Asians. anyways why is this even in the news?

December 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlg4035

The only thing that really makes it news is that it gives us the world's WORST imitation of asian facial features! LOL!
      The poor saps who made this app clearly have never even seen an asian face!

December 27, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  65. tratt

There is nothing that says you will not ever be offended. People are allowed to offend other people.

December 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

Your right! So what is the proper rate for offending people? Should we offend people more, less, or are people being offended at just the right rate currently? I always wondered if I was offending properly, maybe you can show us how its done.

December 27, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  66. Jewish

to call this racist is to call asians inferior

December 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Lee

Maybe a little more sensitivity to the anti-semetic cartoons that proceeded the holocaust would have saved the 3 million Jews deported from all corners of Europe to die in the camps. You know, just saying....

December 26, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

I agree, and people need to look up what "Yellow Peril" was about to understand the context of why people are upset. They have every right to be.

December 26, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

I agree, and people need to look up what “Yellow Peril” was about to understand the context of why people are upset. They have every right to be.

December 27, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Zidane

Not really, no, if you'd actually paid attention in history you'd know that, just sayin

December 27, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  68. MuppetAntwerp

Right so. I live in Belgium. Message to alle the Chinese, black, Asian, AfroAmerican an so on. Stop calling me white or Caucasian. I am beige ! BEIGE ! Which is not white. And I am a Flemisch-French-German-Danish which is not Caucasian. Now leave me alone and let me live my life (and try to do that yourselves, racism-lovers).

December 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

LOL! Bring your gripes up with Kaiser Wilhelm II.

December 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • tdcherry

why mltngunmtl, yellow peril was nothing but a little xenophobia that you happened to google upon.

December 27, 2012 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  69. Sean

I bet the Asians that are not offended did not grow up being taunted by other kids, and grew up in an area where there were lots of asians I am still scarred by my experiences and they were very painful. I guarantee you that if there were an app that made you black, with all the facial stereotypes, there would be an uproar and all the white people commenting here would say it was attrocious

December 26, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • jusme101

Grow up already. Your not the first, and I certainly wasn't the first either. The difference is one day you grow up. I did, so can you.

December 26, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

So for you, growing up means being 'tough', you have a very simplistic view of what being grown up means. I am 35, and can tell you maturity cannot be wrapped into one characteristic. You will know this when you grow up.

December 27, 2012 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
    • NC_Right

The only people offended are the ones that aren't proud of who they are....period

December 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

So blacks who were outraged by the buffoon cartoons throughout the early 20th century were not proud to be black?
        , clearly you do no think before speaking or writing

December 27, 2012 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  70. I am Asian

C'mon people. Laugh a little. I'm Asian and I don't put much thought in this matter at all. "damaging racial stereotypes" oh please give me a break. Don't tell me that we 'Asian' never joke about white people smell bad? I hear this joke all my life and I don't see white people running around screaming "damaging racial stereotypes" Just because we are a minority doesn't mean we have to right to bring up word like "racial stereotypes" or "discrimination" or "racist" more often than others. As far as I believe Asian, white, Latino, black etc we are all American. Pardon my English.

December 26, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shirley

"Likes," your comment :-)

December 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Liu

Asian also and not offended. In fact its effen funny!! Wonder what I would look like with round eyes, big nose and pale skin?

December 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • EveryoneRelax

As someone with round eyes and a big nose, it's kinda alright, I guess. Hahahaha

December 27, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • IHateLies

I'm Asian too. Frankly this is a "meh" moment. I don't give a rip. I make fun of the stereotypes too. It plays both ways. As we get older there is good nature teasing, and then there is the teasing to be mean.

Well the first part is being a part of a group. If you can dish it back out, or it doesn't faze you, it looses power over you.

The latter group are just d-bags. I don't pay them any mind cause they demonstrate their level of inferior intelligence by using significantly outdated and low wit to mask their inferiority complex. If the best they can come up with is a rice paddy hat, boy they are still stuck in the 70s.

And the simple reality is, the stereotypes are still true. I have seen more than my fair share of Asians driving rice rockets that they can't see over the dash.

If you don't want the stereotype, don't perpetuate it.

December 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • mltngunmtl

How can you not perpetuate a stereotype when it's based on your facial features, or the color of your skin? Dated stereotypical cultural references aside, there is still the issue of yellowface that's apparent in this app.

December 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jones Boros

White people smell bad? Never heard that before. Did you just make it up? Stereotypes are only funny if they are true.

December 27, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  71. clavinusps

Will it make me good at math?

December 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jones Boros

Only if you are vietnamese.

December 27, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  72. johnny tran

lolll....she still dont look asian!..people butthurt for no reason

December 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  73. wrm

Get over yourselves.

December 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  74. bekah

I am Korean American...who cares? When did we lost the ability to laugh and find the humor in our differences?

December 26, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Moby

Horrible. Now excuse me, I need to get back to watching "White Chicks", a movie about two black men who dress as white women.

December 26, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike hancho

great movie

December 27, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  76. Ron

I want a version that runs in Windows...

December 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  77. DH

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....I'm offended that people are offended by others who are offended.

December 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  78. ted

and here I've been just drinking green tea.

December 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  79. lbdukeep

IIf there is going to be a Google app that plays around with one ethnic group, then all groups should be included. Lets be considerate of others, include everyone!

December 26, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  80. El

I'm Asian and don't find this offensive. After all, that is what some Chinese people still wear in the country in rice paddies, and let's face it, we have slanted eyes. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Exactly what stereotype is this perpetuating? People cry racism at the silliest things. It wasn't meant to be derogatory...everyone have a laugh and move on to the next app.

December 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Adopted dont count.

December 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sophie

I agree with you El, who cares? We Asian-Americans should not be swayed by this non-sense. I'm happy that others want to see themselves as Asians. Only 18 million out of 2 Billion Asians (Mongoloids) are mad over this non-sense....wow....really....FYI, We Asian-Americans don't want to be called "Chinese" o.k. most of us came from variety of countries other than China.

December 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • daphne

I agree. To say that this is racist, somehow implies that having slanted eyes or yellow skin is bad to begin with. I am Italian and I don't take offense when some people make fun or silly things about Italians and their background. I'm not offended because many of what is said is based on some truth. We are all not in the mafia and when people imply that it just shows that they are a bit ignorant of facts, but that in no ways makes me feel like they have it out for all Italians. I am first a human being and female at that and I think at times people take the little things overboard and make a big deal out of something that shouldn't be. There are really many other very important and pressing issues in the world today to worry and think about than something like this app. Too many now have thin skin and get worked up over trivial things.

December 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  81. NaNaNana

I'm asian and i'm not offended. it's pretty funny. lol. why make a big deal outta this? i don't get it.

December 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimmy

People have forgotten how to laugh. I wish the programmers would do a "Make me White" app as well, or "Make me Redneck", who really cares? All these little jerks pretend to be offended so it'll make them seem important.

December 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  82. DanielD

I really liked what Shah said.

She's comfortable with who she is and where she comes from and does not find the app racist.
    I think its just and excuse of people with complexes to cry about racism.

By the way i'm a latino and if there is ever and app called make me a latino i'm sure i'll find it funny. Cause i really don't care.

December 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  83. sumday

I think people have become to sensitive to every single issue. Apparently some people want the rest of us to walk around with blind folds on and never ever acknowledge skin color or facial features of other races. If this offends you then I think you need to grow up and stop being such a cry baby. It is people who find things like this offensive that have ruined the whole race card for me. You cry wolf enough time on false alarms pretty soon no one is listening to your racism claims any more.

December 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rob Tauntu

that is right, pot smokers must unite to fight a program that makes regular people looked stoned. See how stupid this sounds. LOL

December 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  85. USA

Do other countries scream this kind of B.S. If your offended by something, anything then turn your head, walk away, shut off the device you see what ever it may be & get a life. What does Not offend you today may offend me or someone else. Take in some comedy show & have a laugh. Life is to short to act like a fool.

December 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Rob Tauntu

Why are so many acting all haughty over something funny. It was not created to be mean or hateful but to be fun. People are becoming so holier than thou – but I'll bet if I hung around you, I would find all the skeletons in your closet, we all have them and do you know why, because we are human! so get over yourselves.

December 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • sumday

With the racist card playing people things don’t have to be derogatory or negative in order to be called racist. These days simply mentioning skin color or facial features in any context will get you called racist. Someone always has to feel offend and if there is no real reason to be offended they will make one up in their head.

December 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Boo

Very ignorant. The app uses a stereotypical Fu Manchu moustache and lame hat. Why not just make the hair black, they eyes almond-shaped, etc.? Why make it a sterotypical Fu Manchu thing? That is racist.

December 27, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  87. Brandon

Look up "white trash" or "white people" applications on any platform. There are plenty of these that make fun of caucasions. Why is it that nobody ever speaks out for the rights of white people but everything that hints at a racial stereotype is "racist" and must be banned?

December 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob Tauntu

thank you Brandon – I am white and I am not belly aching over the many, many times of poking fun at whites. People are so sensitive to everything any more, I am so sick of it!

December 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lee

The difference is no white americans were ever evicted from their homes and interned at government camps because of their round eyes and pale skin. It's only asian americans that have been treated this way. If it's so ha-ha funny where's the "Make me Black" app? Or "Make me Jewish" app? I bet google would step in quickly enough it there were an app that did that.

December 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • lbdukeep

Have to admit...this one makes sense.....just include everyone!

December 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  88. lee

I find this offensive. I'm not Asian but it seems we always target Asians for this kind of stereotyping. Remember Al D'Amato's "hilarious" imitation of Judge Ito on the Imus show?

December 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • eddie2010

If you find it offensive then hey, you know, don't fricken download it.

December 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • lee

I won't, but the promulgation of stereotypes is offensive regardless of wether they are voluntary or involuntary. Recall the ADL worked for years to fight anti-semitism, Bill Cosby worked years to fight racist portrayals of blacks in the movies. The sad thing is we still have so much work to do. Google should know better.

December 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Elizabeth

I am SO glad people are saying something about Google's lack of awareness about this issue. These apps degrade and "otherize" people, and they're not simply o.k to use for fun. They should pull all the other racist, stereotypical renditions of people out. These characters aren't simply for humor, they're meant to degrade and characterize certain races or other people.Shame on Google for allowing this issue to take place. Shame on them.

December 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

Google is your daddy now?

December 27, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  90. Joe Prov

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a human – What is wrong with us. Those who seriously think that calling this racist is unjust would of snickered at anti-Jewish cartoons in Nazi propaganda papers. It isn’t that the designers of the game want to put Asian’s into ovens or anything but this sort of dehumanizing of people based on inherited genes (i.e. not your fault) leads to nothing good.

December 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  91. GMR

Awww, quit crying. You can make your own app called, "Make me European". It will give you round, blue/green/hazel eyes, a handlebar mustache and a top hat.

December 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  92. alumette

Why the sensitivity ? it is funny and truthful. We need to step over that fine line that takes away our sense of humor. Embrace the differences so we may all laugh together. Ha...ha....

December 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane2u

Exactly. China blocks out google and Google's apps in China. Now people who came from there in to US are doing the same in US..Why come to US if you want to live with the same restrictions?

December 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jane2uIsStupid

Yeah – no Asians are born in the US – and ONLY people who came from China complained. Let's see – your IQ is 2 – you MUST be white!!!

December 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. fdeek

Since when is it offensive to want to look like an Asian?

December 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob Tauntu

Exactly!

December 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • BB

thats not the offensive part. The offensive part is the stereotype of what all Asians supposedly look like and are characterized as.

December 26, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Robo

*** I"m sure it won't be a problem until somebody makes an app called "Make Me A Welfare Black Woman."

December 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob Tauntu

And that would be funny too!

December 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Shah

I'm Asian. First generation immigrant in the states. This is what some of my people look like back home. I can identify with the look. What's the problem? They are good people.

December 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • tianhe

These people in the US are influenced by the media and some politicians to be ashamed of who they are and their history because it gets more news readers and some votes. They are taught that people are out to get them and racists are behind every corner. Extremists have convinced many Americans they are a victims and should be offended by everything. If you're female, disabled, fat, non-white, etc you are a victim and are conditioned by the media to see discrimination/racism everywhere.

As an example, I had a friend highly offended a white man selling glasses mentioned he had a special version for Asians because of their flat noses. It didn't matter that she did have a flat nose – it's racist to say it.

When they are made fun of some people like to play a childish victim rather than the adult that says F*&k you I'm comfortable with myself.

That's my take.

December 27, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  96. JohnC

I'm asian and honestly I don't care. It is stupid to protest over this when there are other more important issues to worry about.

December 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane2u

True. Anyways Chinese girls are the most popular in US and even in Britain considering that Harry's first crush was Cho :)

December 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Weareahumanfamily

Asian girl, saying Chinese girl implys a girl from China. Asia consists of many different contries and states like America consists of many different states. So, I don't get offended by things that don't cause physical harm but sometimes it causes emotional harm. Try being the only Asian child in a school full of white and black people. Not the best years of my life. People don't see the truth which is punching them in skull and screaming hey it's a cool app but why do you have to add the hat.

December 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

What's on your priority list John?

December 27, 2012 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  97. Huh

Really.....
    They must be bored if they think an "Asian maker" apps racist....

December 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  98. NAdada

Dear people of all races. Take a chill pill and laugh once in a while.

December 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  99. FHBOY

PC Gone Wild! Are you kidding me? Now we can't even have fun, anonymously, without some Mommie Stater telling us that it is not proper. Of course it isn't proper – and if you don't like it, don't use it – but heck people, have we gone so PC that some humor will offend anyone and then all humor will be lost – we will become a grey, grey society. Back off, it's just a joke.

December 26, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Post

So there's nothing wrong with an Asian teacher at an Asian school in some Asian country stopping the Asian kids from making fun of how the one Caucasian kid in the classroom looks like?

Heck whats wrong with said Asian kids making an App with their smart Asian brains and having fun in the same classroom with the one Caucasian?

December 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Boo

That never happens in Asian schools. Get real. Asians are having surgery to round their eyes, make their noses more prominent, and bleaching their skin. Google it. Or talk to any Asian immigrant. Whites are untouchable in Asia, INdia, and everywhere else, including Latin America. Whites make the mistake of believing that other races are as racist as they are. Big mistake.

December 27, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
      • Lisa

Boo, it is not that simple. Try living in an Asian country for a few years and you will see what I mean.

December 27, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Luvlar

Rubbish. Just another way for someone to scream racism. If app was used to change say an Asian to a Caucasian. As a white guy my response would be, who the F cares.

December 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Post

Your analogy isn't completely correct.
      Let me help you with it.
      Further, change the minority being Caucasian not Asian, and think the majority Asians making the app you just talked about.

December 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miche

That is because you are white. Caucasians have dominated the western world for centuries. Of course, you are not offended, you are still on top. Imagine if the roles were reversed and Asians had dominated the western world for centuries, would you be okay with them making fun of the way you look? FYI, I am also Caucasian.

December 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Huh

"That is because you are white. ..."

Who cares? How do you "make a white person"?
        The Chapelle show made white stereotypes all the time.....
        Did anyone find it offensive? No. It was funny. ITs called humor....

December 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jane2u

Hmm, initially I thought this was an over-reaction but then I thought some more about it. Caucasians only make fun of each other's customs and traditions and that is why it is accepted humor. However, if someone (non Caucasian) were to start making fun of the Caucasian's physical features, it would be a different ball game.
        This app is definitely a bit racist and should not be allowed.

December 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • BorgX

And Asians have dominated the Eastern world even longer. Funny thing that. Who would have thought that Russians would be the most powerful people in Russia or Indians the most powerful people in India. That is so strange.

December 27, 2012 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Post

Oh.. and of course, in that scenario, the majority Asians will be having a good laugh over their exaggerated-large noses, pale skin, with a face chewing tobacco.

December 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo

If you grew up in a country where your people were mistreated, were interned in camps regardless of citizenship, made fun of and degraded, etc., you would care. You cannot compare your experience with the Asian experience. It is this that makes all the difference.

December 27, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
      • tianhe

maybe grow a pair? That might help your experience.

December 27, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyler Durden

Actually an app to make someone caucasian would also be considered racist by the same people who protest this sort of thing, but not because it is insensitive like the app in the article. (Notice I didn't say racist.) Actually such an app would be accused of idealizing caucasian features and suggesting that any other ethnicities need to be transformed to caucasian.

December 27, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |