December 26th, 2012

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive

By Sarah Edwards, CNN

(CNN) - The maker of a Google app thinks it's fun to make yourself look Asian by changing the shape of your eyes and wearing a Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

Another app - "Make Me Indian" - makes you a Native American with brown skin, war paint and a feather headband.

“This is just a fun app (that) lets you indulge you and your friends," says the description of the "Make Me Asian" app created by user KimberyDeiss and available on Google Play.

"You can for a few seconds to make (yourself) a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other Asians," the description says.

Not amusing or cute, say Asian-American organizations that launched a petition to get Google to remove both apps.

The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians and Native Americans, said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans in the United States.

“These racist and offensive portrayals of Asians and Native Americans perpetuate damaging racial stereotypes and should not be distributed on the Google play store," said the campaign, which has an online petition to remove the apps.

Google, however, said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech.

"We don't comment on individual apps," Google said in a statement. "We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies."

KimberyDeiss makes other photo-altering apps including "Make Me Old" and "Make Me Fat." There's also "Make Me Russian" and "Make Me Irish," which play off stereotypes.

But the furor in the Asian-American community, sparked a few weeks ago, is growing. Blogs, including Angry Asian Man, have reinforced the call to remove the apps.

Washington pastor Peter Chin decided to mount an even larger protest on the website Change.org.

Chin said he understood Google's motto is "Don't be evil." That makes it hard to fathom why the company would support these apps, he said.

This is the first time Chin has protested in this way. He was prompted to act, he said, because Google refused to do so.

“Google normalizes everything from Google maps, Gmail," he said. "If you want to search for something on the Internet, you even say to 'Google it.'"

Chin feared Google's power would make people think the apps were OK.

"I wanted to make sure this app isn’t given a pass of approval," he said.

Chin said he wants Google users to know that the stereotypes in the apps have been used to marginalize and discriminate against people.

"It's not cool," he said.

CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report.

Filed under: Asian in America • Discrimination • Ethnicity • How we look • Native Americans • Race
soundoff (1,350 Responses)
  1. ChuChuTrang

Don't you have anything better to get butt hurt over? C'mon I am AZN and I thought this was funny. Lighten up people!

December 27, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • NinjaGirl

Don't get so upset. Your white friends won't get worried and stop pulling their eyes to the sides and laughing at your entire race, and they always praise your willingness to let them walk all over you.

December 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • really?

you really ought to find something else to occupy your time, because your comments are sad, and really i dont think im alone in saying this....why dont you quit pretending that you have something of substance to say, you dont, and perhaps you ought to find some silly teen chat sight, I bet they would appreciate you and your immature comments.

December 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

thank god someone has a sense of humor!

December 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

What's AZN?

December 31, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mr7thletter

As long as the internet gives silly sensitive people a voice to complain and possibly gain a few seconds of fame in an article like this people will always try to capitalize as much as they can. Everyone who reads this will now go look for the app the same way I am doing as i type this comment. And everyone who is named in this article complaining is now famous for about 12 seconds because this article was written in the first place. Honestly its not even that serious

December 27, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris Craig in Seattle, WA

It's not their job to decide that.

December 28, 2012 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. John Howard

Where's the Make Me Obama app?

December 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Really? Comments like that from either side are just so sad and tired.

December 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liv

Agreed, where is it? I'd like to be tall, brilliant, cool and be able to drain some 3 pointers too. 😀

December 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mrid

No duh. I'd buy that App.

Make me the President. Rich. Successful. Smooth with the ladies. I am a Republican but give the man his props.....

December 28, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Kris Craig in Seattle, WA

It's under development, alongside the "Make Me an Ignorant Racist Loser" app.

December 28, 2012 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
      • Bill

How is that even remotely racist, Make Me Obama? Good God I hate libs.

December 28, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Shaz

Not being Asian I can't say if it offends me or not but I WILL say it sucks and is too inferior and app for anyone to give serious attention to anyway. You can see the top part of the girl's head still

December 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. booooowhooooo

stop whining !!!!!!!!!!!!! gd cry babies.

December 27, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Well then make "Make me Caucasian" app. We are not going whine.

December 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • aristocrat

Well, I doubt you never got teased for being white or having "Anglo" features, whatever that means. For many Asians who grew up being taunted for having certain features, I can understand why it would be offensive. I'm wondering why there is not similar application for say – make me a black or jew.

January 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Doug

Huh? I thought that all apps were invented and designed by Asians.

December 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Johnny

In simple language the app is offensive to many because historically (and still presently) in our culture some folks mock East Asian and chinese features with negative intent. The sensitivity springs from a rejection of such mocking. It is hard to know what a person's intention is, but when you do something that is traditionally a hot potato issue you are for sure playing with fire. It is like doing a Prophet Muhammed Cartoon or Black Face. Whites typically do not have these particular issues because they were on the opposite side of our joint problematic history. Lets work to work things through...

December 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • aristocrat

Well said.

January 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. doug

National Socialists did so much harm in the 20th, and with their divide and conquer great society from the 1960s being more damaging than ever, it looks like we won't stop them from messing up the 21st either.

Fight back by being an individualist, judging by character, 47% of Americans are already there.

December 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lindsey

is having slanted eyes a stereotype for asians? i'm pretty sure it's a physical attribute that all (eastern) asians have. i don't think darker skin is a stereotype of african-americans. \

December 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

No it isn't a stereotype because it isn't subjective or prejudice. It is a physical fact.

December 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • r belin

both my families, berlinsand howels and hollands , scandinavians, have that cartilage that appears to slant our eyes, wha t f are youse skies trying to talk about..its snowleopard eyes

January 2, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ninjafk

Look, I'm Vietnamese, and this thing doesn't offend me one bit. Why? Because who cares? We live in a society where we all have to play the victim for no reason. Do I think it's a good or classy app? No, but it doesn't bother me. Just get over it people, there is real racism in the world, we could put our efforts to better use than crying about a ridiculous app.

December 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • doug

Divide and conquer, it works very well for 'dem, the last election proves it. Individualism is how we defeat this National Socalist enemy but they own the media and our education system, along with many districts in this country where their work sure does match Webster's definition of genocide.

December 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

You do realize you are labelling one party as divisive and exclusive, despite the fact that they include a far greater demographic diversity. Diversity is a sure way to ensure the qualities of inclusion are being respected.

December 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. uh

Would it be racist to make a Make me Black app, where it adds fried chicken to one hand, watermelon in the other, gold teeth, and a welfare check? Yes? I don't see how its different from the Asian or Indian app.

December 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jay

I wonder what the black community would say if there was an app that could turn a non-black, black? OMG, I think there would be a bigger stink being raised. Let the offended ones express some feeling. The blacks have been jumping up and down over the smallest issues and one comes along for the Asians and a lot of people belittle their offense. I can see why one would be offended – afterall I get offended when a black mocks white appearances and behavior.

December 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • lindsey

you might want to rethink using terms like "the blacks" and "a black".

December 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jay

Lindsey what's wrong with these terms??? Most black people I know use those terms in that way on a regular basis.

December 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • doug

Take an honest unbiased look at the districts that many people of color live in. The great society trap would be just as effective on any "type" of person as they define us. Making an honest commitment to individualism is the best option to defeat these National Socialists. Great Americans like Allen West have put their life at risk for individualism, respect and honor thier sacrifice.

December 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Please don't offer advice you can't follow yourself...

December 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • doug

No worries Joe, I know my moral obligation to vote Republican and vote straight ticket Republican, but thanks for your concern. I do all I can to defeat the National Socialist Democrat party that started the klan and now the great society that has been even worse than slavery.

December 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. googoogaga

make me British, make me Icelandic, make me finnish, swedish, Danish, Zulu, pygmy, White Goatherder

December 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert

Well, why don't the asians make an App that would make a white person out of a Chinese person? It can start by giving them blond hair and a bigger nose. lol

December 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. notanasian

I'm offended because the app sucks so bad. The girl in the pic doesn't look asian at all lol

December 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. opwernby

It's fun reading the comments on this thread. None of the people who actually think the app is racist can spell properly. I think that probably tells you something.

December 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

Attacking those that think differently than you using misinformation doesn't help anyone. Once again someone tries to use divisiveness and exclusion to ignore the people at the heart of this story. Ignoring them won't make them go away... Why would you want them to, anyways?

December 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I noticed that op... the one's whining have horrible grammar and spelling.

December 27, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jusme101

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive...... All of them ???? Every single Asian-American ???? Wow, that's allot.... and rather impossible.

December 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mymomwasavirgin

I got picked on in grade school. I wasn't asian, black, or indian; I was skinny. So bigger kids beat the crap outa me. I guess I should be offended by all the "make me skinny" ads for diet plans, right. Just sayin'. Git over it, folks.

December 27, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Edwin Segura

Daniel Tosh, this is when you come in and say "IS IT RACIST".

December 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jangocat

The headline should be "some" Asians call this app offensive. Clearly not all Asians are so thin skinned to be offended by a phone toy.

December 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Yoo Suk Mee

This is hilarious, since Asians are the most racist people on Earth.

December 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. KellyJo

I'm half Asian and half Caucasian and I lived in Asia for half of my life. When I moved to the States in high school, many students would ask me if I ever wore those hats (because you know, I worked on a rice farm) and why my eyes were so small...which is weird because my eyes are from my white side... Anyway, it reminds of those embarrasing moments of when I moved back to the States. I don't like to be called out because of the way I look. Nobody does. Thats where I feel the problem is. Yes most people don't take stupid things like this app seriously, but some do.

December 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Half Asians rock!

KellyJo, I think half-Asians are the best-looking people in the world!

December 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jrad

Oh no! An app that can crudely change my likeness into a different ethnicity! The horror!

My feelings are now hurt so this app should be banned and it's creators jailed for hate crimes!

December 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dave

people just need to yank their head out of their behinds....there are far more serious things to worry about in this world than some silly phone app

December 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • davecu

Agreed!
      It was explained before the down load what it does.
      I can knowingly walk into a brothel and then be offended by what I see.

Delete the app and shut up.

December 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Brimstone

What kind of idiots actually use apps like this?

December 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. blahblahblah

Boo hoo! Asian people look different than white people; it's not a "stereotype" it's a fact. I don't think anybody here would have trouble picking out an Asian person in a group of Caucasian people. Why? because they have distinct racial characteristics, unless they're ashamed of being Asian, then I guess they have a reason for being upset.

December 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ekaterina Kaverina

The Asian race is beautiful. Make me a Native American any time. (I am a Caucasian from Europe)

December 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. snowdogg

OMG... be concerned about something besides your own tender feelings.

December 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joe

Sigh...just not enough holes in the ground to put these people in?

December 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. B nutty

Seems like a lot of people crying over this one, please complain about stuff that actually matters... Try living in a third world country and see how much something like this matters to you then. Freedom of speech, cry babies.

December 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tony

If you don't like the app, DON'T DOWNLOAD IT!

December 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ALLAMERICAN

The App is fun and interesting. Google should not remove this App.

December 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. ABCthruZ

I want a Make Me Dark Face app. CNN & Google, you outta be ashamed of yourself for standing up to Obama then and calling everyone else racist against blacks.

December 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. jdoe

Most Asians couldn't care less about the app. Asians succeed as a group because they mind their business and don't pay attention to the mindless racial arguments people engage in. Prejudice and discrimination exist everywhere in the world. Just put your head down and do what's best for yourself and your family. That's all that matters.

December 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  36. George

You idiot. Most Asian Americans speak perfect English, have post-graduate degrees, live in big houses, make tons of money, and are probably your managers or your bosses. Go hide behind your neolithic racist demagoguery, which is the only way you can feel superior to another human being.

December 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToIt

"Go hide behind your neolithic racist demagoguery, which is the only way you can feel superior to another human being."

Racist Much ?

December 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • jbcal

So, calling someone a racist makes you a racist? You would have had a ball back in the 60s

December 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. T Diemer

Google would not dare offer an ap "make be Black" using thick lips, nappy hair and black face. This Asian thing is no diferent. That is the point the Asians are trying to make -stereotyping Asians or Native Americans is no diferent than stereotyping Blacks.

December 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jam

google didn't make this app ... anyone can submit apps to android app store

December 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ntrain2k

Waaaa Waaaaa......

December 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. James

Really?.... Seriously!.... Who cares. It's a free country, if you don't like it, don't expose your self to it. Likely less than one percent of America even owns the app...

December 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Dr. No

To the people who post "get over it", or "it's all in fun", or "don't be so sensitive", I feel sorry for you. It shows you have no empathy for others' feelings, probably because you've never had to go through what people who do take offense have gone through. Try learning and understanding about others or else you'll be left behind along with your antiquated way of thought.

December 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

HaHaHa. Cry me a river. Get over it. Stop wasting time.

December 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

It's really not that big a deal, I mean its not the first time something racist showed up on the Internet, I could do the same and find a Caucasian biased app/game online, but I really don't care, they can have as many pretend blonde/red hair blue/green eye color app edited pictures of themselves as they want

December 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • ...

Not really.

December 27, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

You're right: my empathy is all used up. I totally don't care if I offend.

December 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • jbcal

Go stand on a corner in Oakland and spout your nonsense. I have a feeling you would start to care real quick.

December 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lee

What a joke! CNN removes some comments. No surprised. That's exactly what CNN IS. I will see how long it lasts this one.

my comment,
    "It is cool. Cannot wait for "make me black", "make me jewish" , "make me redneck" and make me racist" .

one from other's which has been removed too.
    "
    Wow, so even a post about making a "make me black, jewish and redneck" app gets removed. Truly, racism against Asian is the last sanctioned and accepted form of racism left in America."

December 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  42. George

There is a simple test as to whether this is racist. Google: Would you defend offering "Make Me Black" as being inoffensive the same way you defended "Make Me Asian"? What! Isn't it all in fun? If you can't, then this does not pass the litmus test, and you are by definition a racist organization.

December 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Google didn't say that it was inoffensive... They said it did not violate their policy.

December 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • George

Since, by your logic, they did not claim "Make Me Black" was offensive, then it follows that this would not violate their policy. So why are they afraid to activate that app?

December 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Peter Kasting

(Reply to George's reply) I think you misunderstand how the app market works. The market hosts apps that anyone can submit. They're automatically hosted unless they violate the TOS.

Google isn't "afraid to activate" some hypothetical "make me black" app. There is no such app. But I'm sure if you want to you can create one and submit it to see what happens. I predict it will go live, because indeed it wouldn't violate the TOS.

December 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

...and if they can, then what does that say? Develop a thicker skin, dood.

December 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  43. pervavor

I wish I was Asian so I could date gorgeous Asian women.

December 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tzckrl

You don't need to be one to date one. Look around - miscegenation is sweeping the nations!

December 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. JenCat

I dressed up as an Indian for Halloween when I was in 3rd grade. *gasp* My mom made my outfit complete with long black yarn braided for my hair, a brown dress with bead work and even a feather I wore in my headband. ( hanging head) I guess I should have known the guilt I would be asked to carry 30 years later for being "stereotypical" and "making fun of" another race. Fast forward in college I dressed like a "gangster" complete with a cane, pin stripes and a fedora. ( the agony) O wait – and then there was the time I was the Wolf from Little Red Ridding hood. ( How will i live with my self) I suppose I should begin writing my apology notes and donating to Yellowstone.

December 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • morefunthanrhoids

Little Red Riding Hood ?
      Jen you tease you ! Hey, meet you in the park. My place or yours ?

December 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

Not Good Enough. Pledge you soul. And your money.

December 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

You should try Blackface next Halloween =)

December 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brett

These folks could use an app that keeps them from taking themselves so seriously.

December 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ...

Except that "redneck" is not a race, it's a lifestyle, which can be changed, unlike your race.

December 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sean

I'm chinese american and I'm not offended. I'm actually surprised that somebody wants to look like asian. It's an honor. Get over it people, if you don't like it don't download and don't buy the app. Nobody forces you to download and install it. It's a free market, if nobody supports it, it will dissappear.

December 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • OvrWatch

Sean, you missed the whole point. It goes beyond some silly app. Akin it to a thousand little cuts that just continue to fester.
      "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

December 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • James

It only festers because you let it.

December 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

No, he is saying something about it and taking a stand. It festers because YOU and I let it. The world is changing and telling people to ignore the problem just because you've accepted it or you are happy with the way it is isn't going to work anymore with racial undertones. Other people imagine a better life for their children, and that means admitting that we have some real cultural problems to work out, such as ignoring and excluding people that look or think different than us.

December 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

This is something that hasn't disappeared because we ignore it... it's an age-old stereotype that has been around since European colonization, and then issues with Yellow Peril and Yellowface.

December 27, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. blue moon mom

I am caucasian and I find it offensive. Someone hit the mark when they posted it is akin to the black face make up of the past. not okay.
    and if we know that some asian people find it offensive, why do you want to defend it, especially if you are not asian? why be rude?
    it is true that white people just can't get it, and they are always the first to say hey it is not racist, hey it is ok, hey you are over sensitive, hey you are the PC police.
    I don't think white people should even comment on these things as we are clueless due to the current position of power in our society. we just don't get it.

December 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • OvrWatch

Exactly!

December 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • jTex

It's free speech and it's a silly game. Get over it. If you need something to be offended by, how about the human tragedy in Syria?

December 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Duh

That would make sense, except for the fact that those same people are stating that people are "too sensitive" and need "thicker skin" an argument that the Syrian government and its supporters also make. Not to mention that sensitivity is exactly what is required to sympathize with the Syrians.

December 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • ABCthruZ

If you can do a Make Me Asian app, why not do a Make Me Black app? It's freedom of speech, right?

December 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • give me a break

lighten up .. thats the problem with everyone ... dont download it if you dont like it . you wont be offended...

December 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

If we take back, take down, blot out any and everything that offends someone, we wouldn't be saying anything.

December 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Reasonable people do not believe that making an effort to be inclusive will result in a loss of communication. Not even close. If the only way for you to be comfortable is to marginalize some other social group, then maybe your time would be better spent thinking about why that is instead of blaming others for being actual people that suffered from stereotyping.

December 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • I AM

Do you not think that 'white' people aren't, or have never been ridiculed or made fun of because of their ethnic back ground. Come on.

December 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToIt

Go shuck your limp-wristed jive elsewhere.

\Political Correctness is ruining the planet.

Laugh at yourselves already FFS.

December 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

How can we trust anyone whose strategy is to divide and exclude people? Your comment attempts to do both. Usually people that resort to name calling and expressing "weakness" feel threatened. People asking not to be stereotyped are not weak, nor are they threatening you. Their unique perspective is a strength, not a weakness, and we would all benefit from treating them like real people for once.

December 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • hypocriteyouare

Its amusing how in one sentence you are complaining about generalizations regarding Asians and then in the next making your own about white folks.

December 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  49. OvrWatch

To those that says its just for fun and needs thicker skin – imagine your child in school being made fun of his/her ethnicity, I mean being really made fun to the point it causes distress and comes home crying to parents, lets see these same parents agree that it was just for fun and you your child needs to have thicker skin. Don't be hypocrites – because you would come to the defense of your child no doubt.

By the way, I'm white skinned but still hate the fact that these people think its alright to make fun of each others ethnicity. Its called respect or lack there of. And human beings wonder why there is so much hatred in this planet that leads to strife.

December 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • teachernurse

I agree with you. I have adopted asian children and their feelings have been hurt in school by children who do not think, though they pretended to not care.

December 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ted

And you adopted those children specifically because they're Asian? That's racist.

December 28, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • dr. no

your talking about targeting a specific person rather then a generalized stereotype. If there were an app called make me American and it added 200 pounds and dressed you in gangster clothes with tattoos would i be offended.. personally no. would some people.. maybe ... would there be a large uproar.. no. What about the russian or irish apps. Are they offended?
      Maybe but where is the uproar?

December 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • windsey

your analogy is off bc while many Asian Americans (or other minority) feel marginalized in America – whether it be at school, in the work place, etc., an American does not feel marginalized *in* America. Boom. Sit Down.

December 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  50. JM

Do they have a Make Me Black?

December 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

No, that one would definitely cause a riot.

December 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • OvrWatch

Yea right (chuckle), the NAACP would be all over that and "Giggle" would end up with their tails between their legs. But hey, since they have no objection, let's not leave any ethnicity out – just add as a drop down menu because everyone needs to have themselves made fun of because we can't get ourselves to do anything positive.

December 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • California Ed

What about Make me a Kardashian?

THAT'S offensive.

December 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • ToIt

They have that.

Its called, "How would I look fat?"

Oh crap – here come the chunky lobbyists ....

December 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dave Seavy

It appears we never run out of things to be offended by. Now the National Christmas Tree is called the National Holiday Tree, so as not to offend those who aren't into Christianity and Christmas. Silly apps – nothing more than computer games – sometimes I think the number of offended grows rapidly because it's now the favorite national pass-time. It's also a great way to excuse bad behavior, as we see so much. I couldn't care less about political correctness. I don't use racial slurs, I treat everyone with respect and I don't care what color your skin is. But am I offended by white jokes told by other races? No. Do I get upset when whites are blamed for every minorities troubles? No. Why? Because I know the difference between fact and fiction. The apps are fiction – zeros and ones on a machine. I'm grateful I have better things to do with my time than to sit around and find something to be offended by.

December 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • albert

The Christmas tree is not Christian. None of Christmas is. THere is no mention of the celebration in the Bible. Jesus never asked his followers to celebrate his birthday. The tree, santa, yule log, mistletoe, etc. Are nowhere in the Bible. THe fact is that those were taken from pagan traditions. So calling the tree a holiday tree was a good call.

December 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rich

Yeah, the name Christmas wouldn't have Christ in it... oh, wait...

December 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol-345

Christmas trees renamed????? How could this be of the holiest of hollies what next Christmas ornaments? Oh the humanity......oh wait you just made your point about cry baby’s......lol you suc

December 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

You statement is ironic, as passing something like this off as nothing and harmless is the far easiest way to excuse bad behavior.

December 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Basher

And yet there are Asians who have their eyes fixed, as it be, to look more western. Should we westerners be offended?

December 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

Asians have their eyes changed? Doesn't seem that common to me.

December 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  53. TrollFeeder

I'm offended by the poor quality of the app. Really? You'd waste time downloading that? I'd be amused if it was an app that morphed your face into a different ethinicity (as opposed to pasting some eyes and a lame hat) just so hey–what would I look like if I was Welsh, Irish, Nigerian? etc Facial feature changes as opposed to some dumb stereotypical hand painted clothing.

December 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. brian

the "mock" outrage here is from the same groups who were outraged by the "chink in the armor" comment claiming a phrase that was around long before the derogatory racial epithet was offensive to "asians" They conveniently skipped over the fact that "chink" was directed at chinese people only. And they also conveniently skipped over the "in the armor" part. People get over yourselves. Not everything is offensive.

December 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh!

Well duh, Brian! I assume that you've read plenty of news article headlines and sports headlines in particular, right? And so you're familiar with the practice of injecting humor/cleverness into a headline by utilizing puns? The writer of that "chink in the armor" headline obviously wrote it that way to take advantage of *both* meanings of the term "chink". You're incredibly naive or being disingenuous to claim that the author was thinking only of the term in reference to armor. The only thing "mock" here is your intelligence.

December 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. No

Brian, brian. You just don't get it. You obviously didn't get why the ESPN "Chink in the Armor" was probably the most offensive thing a major media outlet ever allowed to be posted. I'm not going to waste everyones time trying to explain it to you, but we'll just leave it at you will never have the capacity to understand.

December 28, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  55. Offended

All of you "enlightened" hypocrites who are posting that it's okay, "get over yourself", "give it a break", etc., think about this: How is this depiction of Asian stereotypes any different from the now universally denounced practice of depicting African-Americans in blackface? If you still think it's okay, then just admit that you're racist, and learn to accept *that*.

December 27, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stfu

No one should care about racism without hate. People are different ooooooooooooohhhhhh. Get offended, no one should care about that either.

December 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Anthony

Whoa...calm the heck down people. I think it's a funny app. Has nobody here ever taken a photo of a friend or loved one and altered their appearance with a Sharpie?

I'd love to see:
    make me Redneck,
    make me Hebrew,
    make me a Scientologist (your face is replaced by Tom Cruise's if your male...a prominent female Scientologist otherwise)
    Make me Cajun
    Make me Rastafari
    Make me offended (just shows a picture of someone flipping you the bird)

December 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...

So someone should make one to caricature Americans or American troops, since everyone is too sensitive and needs thicker skin, right? I'm sure that will blow over well, especially since being "American" or being a soldier is a choice, unlike race.

December 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rich

Don't need one to bash our troops. We have message boards for that, and tools use them for it. ALL. THE. TIME.

Still don't care.

December 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

Just had a better thought...

Make me Osama...(shoots a picture of you full of holes, and then SPLASH!...followed by the Star Spangled Banner)

December 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. ALAN FISCHER

Its cool

December 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  58. julie

lol...good one.

December 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Daniel

Really. How about the latest trend of Asian women making their eyes look western? People should get a life and stop this " I'm offended" garbage. It's a fun app to make believe not to make fun of anyone.

December 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Michelle

How about make an app to make yourself look Westerners by making your nose bigger. Fair? lol

December 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Chang

i'm a first generation chinese-american from taiwan. these offended asians should ask their parents what they called whites & blacks, people from other parts of taiwan or china or even other parts of town.

admit it, you ALL laughed at jew, black, f*g, name-your-prejudice jokes

it's naive to think humans can ever eliminate the 'us vs them' mentality

December 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Best, most insightful comment here. Nice job.

December 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Danny

This is a serious case of far to many people having far to much time on their hands.

December 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. History Bear

If it offends you. Don't purchase or use it. Get overy yoursleves people.

December 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  64. ocelot562

I do think it's racist, but I don't really care. I'm asian btw.

Just because the app is racist to everyone doesn't make it ok.

December 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MKS

This app should be removed because it does not include all Asians. It only includes people of the mongol race and leaves out brown skinned caucasians from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, SriLanka, MiddleEast. We want to be part of the Asian stereo type too.

December 27, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. bruce

We need a google app that makes googles apps look like Apple apps.
    Then we will see how well fast google moves.

December 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nik

or an app "make me Jewish" or "make me arab"

December 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Carol

I agree, that app is very offensive and I am sure they knew that when they created it. These folks are just trying to make a name for themselves at the expense of other people.

December 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Offensive?? How?? Where you people get this crapola? There nothing even remotely offensive here. Progressives REALLY SUCKK...

December 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe Christian

Offensive because people were offended. You can't unoffend them by claiming it never happened. You dismiss these people without even trying to understand their point of view. But you are more than willing to defend the very thing that was felt to be offensive. And you wonder why they feel disregarded...

December 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Peter

"This isn't racist" – White People

December 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Paul

Come on, I like Asian folks but this is too silly.
    There is no need to be offended..come out with an app that makes an Asian look Caucasian and we'll be even!

December 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • jj

Listen Paul. because of this you are going to see maybe a backlash with make me hobbit or leprechaun apps targeted at whites. and yes there will probably be make me jewish, black, hispanic etc. google should remove it now so that it doesn't get out of control and ridiculous. caricatures harm the way kids view themselves

December 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  70. GeraldX

This app isn't racist. Racism is the belief one race is superior to others. However, the app is racial and insensitive. We should have respect for how different ethnic groups want to be identified and treated and act accordingly. Perpetuating stereotypes hurts society in general. Shame on the app creator and Google!

December 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Gerald no one is saying that the apps are racist... they are trying to say that they are offensive. Nothing at all offense here.... no idea why anyone would think such a thing.

December 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • jrzydvl

But, if you treat everyone according to their race, isn't that being racist ? How about we treat everybody the same ? Like we would like to be treated ourselves. This is a very funy app. "i'm not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally....Archie Bunker, I believe" Those were the days when we had a sense of humor !

December 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jay

No that isn't racist. Racism doesn't have a thing to do with treating people a certain way because of their race. Not in the least. Racism is when you make judgements about a person or a race of people based on their race. Yes treating a race or group a certain way can be racist... absolutely. BUTTTtttt... this app isn't judging anyone.. it isn't making assumptions about a person's worth based on his race. It isn't treating anyone in any way at all. It is entertainment... no different from an app that might just change the color of your hair or give you a mustache. The notion that anytime you make a statement about racial features or a race in general is racism is plain dumb. Certainly not.

December 27, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...

If you denigrate the other races, you are in effect claiming that yours is superior. Would be interesting to see if the app creator is white.

December 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rich

And what if they're black? or Asian? You're stereotyping white people as racially insensitive, and I'm offended. /sarcasm off.

December 27, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jay

But there is no denigration here! There is only an app in your hand that you can use to alter a picture. There is nothing that mocks or demeans any person or groups of people. Geez!

December 28, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

Of course they are white–the group who always wants to use other races as butts of jokes and denigrates them then like the bullies they are say "can't you take a joke?" "Lighten up" Take this: over 7 billion people in the world, about 1 billion are white–and that number is shrinking –and just like blacks the other races REMEMBER every little racist thing whites do–go ahead and keep the app–and let it go viral and the Chinese in China see what passes for humor and denigration in the US–when they start moving here in droves (when the US sells itself to pay off debts) they can all hold in their heads what the avg white person thinks of them and react accordingly. Good luck taking their brand of humor when it is directed BACK at you and YOU are the minority.

February 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  71. fryrice

I am Chinese and even i think this app is funny and means no harms...I talked to a few of my fellow Asian american friends and they all think its not a problem. Some people just have too much time on their hands to worry about an app that not many people even heard of. Before I read this article I didn't even know about this app...now they made such a big deal about it everyone knows. Great publicity!

December 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

ThankYou FryRice! We trluly don't ever want to offend anyone... although you certainly can't please all the people all the time. The idiot Progressive this country think it is sport to try and label EVERYTHING as offensive.

December 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • J. Bond

Hey, if the all the folks offended by this would say – attack an embassy or firebomb a caucasian-owned business, I think they would be justified. Stop trying to make news, CNN. I've got a second generation Chinese friend who would laugh at this notion. He says he drives a foriegn car, a Chevrolet. Oh, there we go, I'm offended now...

December 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • jrzydvl

That was good. I can't stop laughing

December 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

Actually, I have yet to hear an actual Asian name themselves the stereotyped phrase "FryRice."

December 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  72. furianxo

I've got an app that turns me into a democrat... its hilarious

December 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToIt

it adds the ability of Pragmatism?

December 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rich

I think they just re-branded "Make me Black" for it.

December 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Shuffler

lol no Asian I know is offended. They even take their own pick and do the make me asian. Too funny.

December 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  74. phil

People need to relax. Im asian. Its funny... get over it. People need to laugh a little more and stop being so sensitive.

December 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  75. thsisnotreal22

I say cry me a river. You don't like the app. Then don't download it.

December 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  76. thsisnotreal22

Sounds like you trained him to be just like you...

December 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  77. gggg

I'm kind of sick of the political correctness BS that seems to rule many peoples lives. Take a chill pill and forget it. Or create the "Make Me Caucasian" app or "Make Me A Redneck" app with boots, hats, guns and empty beer cans. Everyone has a stereotype. Some of us just deal with it and relax. Some of us take offense at every little thing. Sheesh.

December 27, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • who cares

don't forget the red solo cup

December 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casper

So folks shouldn't be offended because you are not? That's a slippery slope.

December 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...

December 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

The Make me a racist append all the choices involve ONLY white people–you guys would be bleating about it for months.

February 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Greenspam

It's just for "Fun".

December 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Moshi Man

I'm Chinese and I love those hats! I have one myself. I don't where it to monster truck shows or anything but hey it's such a cool part of Chinese culture. They're still in use. And if there's one nation that doesn't have anything to be insecure about right now it's China. They're dominating in everything, they're the future, and they know it. There are things out there that are pretty offensive (like oh say Bushmaster rifles) but I don't think this is a problem case. That all said, if a big segment of people are offended, than at that point it kinda becomes offensive. I think all of us know times we've offended our spouse and we're a bit perplexed – it's the Clinton "What I do?. If she/he is offended, than at that point you can decide what's more important – the offending comment (or App) or the people you are offending. You can make your choice. In the end it really affects your relationship with them. The lady with the comment about the kids is also right because you don't want your kids to bully (or be beat up) as a result of being insensitive and possibly not even know they're being insensitive. Educate your kids about being sensitive – that's your job.

December 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToIt

"They're dominating in everything, they're the future, and they know it. "

Wrong.

China cooks its books to overvalue it's financial reports.

That will come crashing down and when it does ...oh boy.

Can you say REVOLUTION?

December 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Mike

I have to wonder if these people's time wouldn't be better spent doing something else. Is this app really perpetuating the stereotype that all Asians wear rice paddy hats and Fu Manchus? Is that something that people actually think? Or that Native Americans walk around in war paint? If not then what is this app reinforcing?

Clearly the app is about making fun of Asian and Native American people, but is it something that even needs to be condemned by these organizations? But people make fun of each other all the time for all kinds of reasons. Nobody would ever have heard of this app if not for the condemnation they put out. We need to think hard about what battles are actually worth the time to fight.

December 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  81. furianxo

its just for fun... people shouldnt be so sensitive

December 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  82. JesterJames

Someone make a "make me a jewish" app and see how fast Google removes that.

December 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Jester what would be wrong we a MakeMeHebrew app?? WHy does everyone have to sit around and look for reasons to call something offensive??

December 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Google will never remove the make me jewish app.. Never! Why? The app will never get the green light to be created in the first place!

December 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • lukos58

Google isn't Mother Apple. Apple preapproves apps and won't allow one in the App Store if it competes or is deemed inappropriate. Google is open platform and really doesn't pre-approve an app, only taking it off if it violates their T&C. Personally, I like being a grown-up and deciding for myself if an app should be supported. I don't need Apple's nanny-state approach to everything.

December 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Keith T. Maxwell

The world needs thicker skin...

December 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

..says a person from the racial group that likes to poke other races with sharp instruments.

February 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  84. John Black Hills SD

The app isn't offensive in its purpose, it's fun. If anything, making yourself look Asian, or Native American, or Caucasian is a compliment to the culture. Take a breath, and give it a break.

December 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...

Except for the fact that they aren't going to make one for Caucasians.

December 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • James

.. then make one..... nothing stopping you.

December 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • ToIt

@James (regarding: ...)

Sure there is – it's called SKILLS

December 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  85. I AM

I like the Beardify app. You can look like Santa Claus, and put on other beards too. Really, I thin there maybe other more pressing things to worry about.

December 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

No time like the present, as they say... though this is in actuality an age old issue that hasn't been fully dealt with.

December 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. John

This isn't racist. Why would anyone ever be offended by this. If Asian kids had a Make Me White app would I be offended, no? Would anyone would be offended? Incidentally, what would the Make Me White app do? Lighten skin, round the eyes and put on a baseball cap? OK. Just because something is indicative of race in a cliched way doesn't make it racist.

December 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

LOL EXACTLY...if anything they should laugh and say i guess they wanna be asian because were so cool or whatever...it's seems as if they are ashamed of who they are that they consider it offensive to wanna be like them lol...that's the conclusion i would get if i seen asians trying to be white...whatever right?.....

December 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bibby

Its the stereo typing of asians that is incorrect. How would you feel if an app generalized that all 'white' people wore kkk masks and killed school kids?

December 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • aristocrat

Well, I doubt you ever got teased or harassed for being white or having "Anglo" features, whatever that means. For many Asians who grew up being taunted for having certain features, I can understand why it would be offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • aristocrat

Well, I doubt you ever got teased for being white or having "Anglo" features. For many Asians who grew up being taunted and harassed for having certain features, I can understand why it would be offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shon Flat

The moment the app "Make Me Black" comes out or "Make Me Mexican" with a dude lawn mowing.... crap will hit the ceilings!!! I think I will make that app and see if google turns it down!

January 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  87. shon

this is awesome

December 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOKinLarksville

This is awesome.. If not for this article I never would have found this app.. People have a stick up their butt all too often these days.. We need to laugh at ourselves and not take life so seriously all the time.. I wish there was a "Make me white" app that would be funny.. We also need a "Make me Black" and "Make me Jewish" app.. If you thought the Asian community was outraged, just try releasing those apps.. LOL..

December 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

The white app should have a KKK hood, an AK and have the character spray up a school, a mall, a cinema then start serial raping kids in the app–they should sell out when the other races start buying the app and saying how much it is just like white people–and if whites get mad–everyone should tell them to lighten up.

February 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  88. jimbo

I don't think KimberyDeiss will dare put out a "Make me black" apps. Thick lips, wide nostrils. Or a "Make me Jewish" apps Hooked nose, dollar bills for eyes. Why perpetuate stereotypes in this age?

December 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polyglot

It is not the physical features that are the problem with this app. It is the stereotyping with the hat, the moustache, and so on. Jimbo is right, the way this app works would be offensive if applied to any racial or ethnic group– whites, blacks, jews,etc. In part, it is also an assertion of power. To some of us, the longterm practice of whites to "play at" being Indians, Asians, blacks (i.,e. Amos 'n' Andy) is in itself an aggression in that it says to the rest of us: "We can do this and you can't do anytjiong about it." This type of practice is a vestige of Jim Crow in the USA and colonialism elsewhere. It's not trivial. It should stop.

December 28, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  89. Sarah

Do Americans find it offensive when other countries portray us wearing cowboy hats? Just saying . . .

December 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • VK

I am pretty sure "wearing a cowboy hats" is low on the list of how other countries portray us. Just saying...

December 27, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Check out the world

Actually, in a surprisingly large majority of countries out there have a single persistant American stereotype, and that is of a man in a cowboy hat eating hot dogs (and in a good portion of those that follow this logic also believe we put ketchup on every single thing we ingest). It's weird, but it's true.

December 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • truebob

Good one Scott

December 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

I do put ketchup on everything I ingest.

December 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Christian

The assumption that you wear a cowboy hat, even if it is true, is offensive coming from someone that doesn't know you personally. It displays a lack of empathy and without any effort to correct misperceptions about the individual it makes a person replaceable. If they don't know anything about you, or even try, but instead exclude you and propogate the stereotype instead, it is disrespectful. If it kept happening, you might even grow to negatively associate your exclusion with cowboy hats, and wish they never existed at all. Not because of self-hate, but because the cowboy hat has become a label that replaces real people. We teach our families to be inclusive, but tolerating exclusion is a poor lesson, and we can do better.

December 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Come On, People

I think really the issue here is children. Look at the picture – these types of game apps are aimed at children. This just gives children another reason to make fun of other students, and already there are enough problems in our schools with peer hazing and bullying . Must we handicap our children with yet another tool to encourage racial hate? Sure, adults who have accepted themselves have no issue with the apps and find it amusing, but most children don't have that level of self-confidence yet. And even adults – are we really sure all non-American's share the same sense of humor as an American? To be honest, though, I'm a huge history fan, and while these images are stereotypical, they are relatively historically accurate. However, I don't expect many parents will sit down with their children and give them a history lesson when the child uses the app and then goes to school to pick on someone who doesn't look...like themselves. Those proponents of the apps should stop thinking only of themselves and consider the impact to others.

December 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Rick Schrager

Naming Google in the headline is irresponsible journalism. I think that CNN took a small story of an offensive app and tried to fool readers into thinking that something larger is afoot. They should print a correction.

December 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Ken

Brian, you sound stupid!!

December 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Bobby

Looking back at our history will make us hate each other. Look forward, proud of who you are. This pastor is looking for publicity, c'mon I know Asian would not want to waste their time for this BS cuz they are busy making money.

December 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  94. shinash

Create a "Make Me Black" app!!!!! Only then can we have a real debate about racism.

December 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • karl

Rev Jackson, Quannel X, SJL, and TNBPP will be up in arms.

January 2, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  95. curious

Where's the "Make the Mexican" app? Like the sorority girls at Penn State that had that party? Oh right, there's a protest vigil and march about that...

December 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  96. BuchCheiney

I am African American. Let us be honest, this is offensive period. If you don't share my view, I dare you create an app that allow a person to change his face to that of an African American, and I promise you that we will fight you until you are broke!

Imagine an Asian or an Arab developing an app allowing a person to change their attribute to that of a typical white hillyBilly American munching hotdog, with a BIG belly, guzzling beer and spitting chewing tobacco and making love to his dog. How do you feel??

December 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Qman

I wouldn't care because it in no way shape or form discribes me, or who I am as a person.

Even if I drew a close resemblence, I wouldn't be.

Everyone is so sensitive now-a-days.

Maybe we should sue the makers of the zombie app's for making people look like zombies. I'm sure all the zombies are feeling offended right now.

December 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • soulcatcher

You do this in a lot of games now. Star Trek Online – pick alien and make almost anything you want.

v/r

December 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Rick

Most Asians have no problem being racist and using stereotypes against other minorities, but when someone makes fun of them, then they cry "racist." Asians need to practice the tolerance they seek from others. If a silly app is all Asians have to protest about, then they are doing pretty well.

December 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renegatus

You're basically revealing that you're just prejudice against Asians yourself.

December 27, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • cdubb1545

Not really, I got life long Asian friends and they tell me the same things. If its true, it true.

December 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdubb1545

Very true, good sir!

December 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

I could replace what you wrote with "most white people" and everyone except whites would think it was spot on–whites are very comfortable in using other races in a way that amuses them and allows them to denigrate with impunity, but when it is applied back to them (which it rarely is) they would be the first to cry "reverse racism" and then want to go after...blacks–not Asians, not Hispanics–the nemesis of white people are eternally just Blacks–everyone else is just ground chatter.

February 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Deardie in Texas

GOOGLE DOESN'T MAKE THESE APPS That being said – they are stupid apps regardless of their politically incorrectness

December 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Goog

Does this app have iPhone/iPad version? I bet not because the iStore will not allow it.
      Google is allowing it, which shows a lack of sensitivity.

December 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  99. bear92

Apps like this is funny until kids use it to make fun of other kids. Kids in school are already vulnerable to crazy outsiders. This is another tool kids will use to make fun of other peers in particular Asian kids. Guns can kill many in an instant. Apps like these can also hurt or cause harm to children. And the worse part, it's their own peers who are causing the hurt. We already have enough distractions in classroom. We don't need more junk apps like these.

December 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renegatus

Of course some idiot has to compare guns with whatever the issue of the day is. "Google apps are dumb... also, guns kill many people". Thanks for the intelligent insight.

December 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CTC3

bear92 – kids do this anyway. They don't need apps or any other means to do this. If someone is different than they are, they will make fun of them. I have a boy that is shorter that others his age, they make fun of him. At one time it bothered him, but I helped him work through it and now he just laughs them off. Think about it. Kids that make 'Cs' and 'Ds' make fun of those that make straight 'As'. Kids that make straight 'As' make fun of those that make 'Cs' and 'Ds'. My son was showing me an app that takes the face of anyone you want and makes them this dancing Elf. Is that a proble, I think not.

December 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

February 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

OKAAAAY....Your reply shows so much insight except you forgot a really big one–people can change. a short kid can grow–as he gets taller other kids become the ones who are laughed at for being so short, so over time, the bullying (and that is what it is) stops or diminishes. Fat kids can lose weight...a C or D student can get better grades all of these things are CONDITIONAL and all races never take them seriously–because ALL RACES have short people, fat people, lazy people, etc. Things that cannot change or be modified or hidden as easily mean the "take a joke" or "lighten up syndrome is expected FOR LIFE. We expect to be able to make fun of people–by dint of skin color or lips size or eyes or nose shapes? Race does not change–it is NOT a condition it is a state and when a person has been designated due to a STATE to being the butt of a joke–it does not change when they get older. people do not outgrow their race–the same qualities which make them a butt of jokes is used by others to not want them to live next to them or eat next to them in restaurants or work with them at a job–and covert things often are done to ensure they remain in certain areas AWAY from the people who dislike them–THIS is what racism is and instead of wondering why people don't get over ugliness you have to wonder about the race that always seeks it out–that finds pleasure in this–you say kids always do things like this–but really they do what they learn and are taught and what their families engender to be okay and right–I never teased people due to race or skin color or their grades or their weight–it is a learned ugliness and was not tolerated in my household. I see so many wanting to be ugly and rude –for fun and wanting others to "lighten up" and the only thing I see is racial discord, deliberately sown by people so lost that they don't know anymore (or perhaps never knew) what all the fuss is about. It is about human dignity–Asians don't need to get over this app–white American needs to get over its needs/tastes to denigrate all other races. Got it?

February 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Fiona

But Google approved this at some level, if it's available on "Google Play". The "make me Asian" version is patently offensive. "Make me Russian" is, on the other hand, a funny idea because it's not a racial stereotype, but one of (low) character.

December 27, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |