December 26th, 2012

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive

By Sarah Edwards, CNN

(CNN) - The maker of a Google app thinks it's fun to make yourself look Asian by changing the shape of your eyes and wearing a Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

Another app - "Make Me Indian" - makes you a Native American with brown skin, war paint and a feather headband.

“This is just a fun app (that) lets you indulge you and your friends," says the description of the "Make Me Asian" app created by user KimberyDeiss and available on Google Play.

"You can for a few seconds to make (yourself) a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other Asians," the description says.

Not amusing or cute, say Asian-American organizations that launched a petition to get Google to remove both apps.

The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians and Native Americans, said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans in the United States.

“These racist and offensive portrayals of Asians and Native Americans perpetuate damaging racial stereotypes and should not be distributed on the Google play store," said the campaign, which has an online petition to remove the apps.

Google, however, said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech.

"We don't comment on individual apps," Google said in a statement. "We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies."

KimberyDeiss makes other photo-altering apps including "Make Me Old" and "Make Me Fat." There's also "Make Me Russian" and "Make Me Irish," which play off stereotypes.

But the furor in the Asian-American community, sparked a few weeks ago, is growing. Blogs, including Angry Asian Man, have reinforced the call to remove the apps.

Washington pastor Peter Chin decided to mount an even larger protest on the website Change.org.

Chin said he understood Google's motto is "Don't be evil." That makes it hard to fathom why the company would support these apps, he said.

This is the first time Chin has protested in this way. He was prompted to act, he said, because Google refused to do so.

“Google normalizes everything from Google maps, Gmail," he said. "If you want to search for something on the Internet, you even say to 'Google it.'"

Chin feared Google's power would make people think the apps were OK.

"I wanted to make sure this app isn’t given a pass of approval," he said.

"It's not cool," he said.

CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report.

Filed under: Asian in America • Discrimination • Ethnicity • How we look • Native Americans • Race
soundoff (1,350 Responses)
  1. Barry

What if it was a "Make me Black" app?

December 28, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. John

it looks like the Asians only feel offended when i fits them. Stereotypes are ok while they are looking down on the "uneducated" and fat whites. Stereotypes are ok when they have plastic surgeries and acquire white people traits. Stereotypes are acceptable when tiger moms point out, under thin pretexts, why they raise superior kids. This protest is hypocrisy at its best.

Our culture pokes fun at people – look at our stand-up comedy to see how embedded this is in our culture, and how different our entertainment is from the Asians'. Because we know how to make fun of ourselves we are tolerant to various forms of entertainment. Changing this would change the fabric of our nature; imagine if we continue on this path and the whites start mass protests and little protests for all the whites-related stereotypes. I don't want to discover one day that I woke up in China.

December 28, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. biggiesmalls

Yup, another wasteful story brought on by another wasteful, ultra-sensitive special interest group with butt-holes so tight you can front a drum corp. It would be a safe bet that 99% of those who are Asian have no issues with this what-so-ever! Loosen up people....

December 28, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill J.

99% of those who are Asian pose as enlightened here, then join the ranks of protesters.

December 28, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • elizsoh

Would we find an app that will paint your face black and blow up your lips similarly amusing and non-offensive? Bet you not. So why is this app acceptable?

December 28, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Haha

If it would "blow up" my lips I would love it! We pay big bucks to have this done, with fillers, in a Dr's office. If it would darken my skin I would love it too; we try to get tanned skin with the risk of skin cancers!! If it would make my hair curly? Think about how many of white women get perms. I very much doubt an African-American would be as offended as you are by this app.

You see, the "offense" is in the eye of the beholder. It's only offensive if YOU see the trait as embarrassing.

December 28, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

What if a child sees the app and repeats the actions at schools as children often imitate adults? Please think beyond the app and be responsible for your actions and things we create when have the ability to create something. I find this series of apps very disappointing.

December 28, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. AEvangelista

I'm Asian, and I don't even have a device that can run an app. How sad.

December 28, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kencho Kencho

I am an Asian, and I think the app is funny. Life is too short, have a little fun. A little tolerance should be encouraged and tolerated. This is one them.

December 28, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jen T

While theyre at it they should make a "make-me-republican" one that makes the morons who tinker with this app look like the photo of the "hillbilly teeth guy" if they don't already...

December 28, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Wait, I thought Republicans were the super rich 1%. Now you're saying they can't afford dental care?

December 28, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Jen T

If they were only 1% then we wouldn't have to pay them any attention... Just saying maybe that's a visage [some] people imagine the republican majority to portray and if it's acceptable to make Asians or Indians look a certain way in the app and have people defend it... Why not republicans?

December 28, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I'll be offended by this just as soon as the liberal media apologizes for constantly referring to republicans as the party of "old white men" as if that's some sort of demonic evil. Notice they never referred to democrats as the party of "poor brown people".

December 28, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Jen T

I thought it was the party of old white men, hillbillies, & rednecks.

It's ok though, they can put a liberal one in there as well and show me as a hippy or a tree-hugger... I'm ok with either portrayal.

December 28, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Kev

No Bill, the GOP now is a party of NO, plain and simple. The GOP take everything Democrats stands for, then argue for the opposite.

December 28, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jimmy-James

After going to Angry Asian Man's website and finding it to be the most Hong-Kong Fooey-esque thing I have ever seen, I find it ironic that he would even mention that the app is offensive. His whole site is offensive and promotes the same stereotypes. If you don't have the backbone to stand for the values you're complaining about, then shut up.

December 28, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. airaghu

Google....Please stop this

December 28, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Going after google over this is nonsense.
    As they said, it "Technically" isn't a violation of their terms, and because google is an open platform where anyone can post anything it doesn't make sense to attack them.
    Attack the idiot who made the apps. She has the power to remove it and if any apologies should be given, they should come from her, not google.

December 28, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bill

Maybe it's time to find leprechauns on cereal boxes offensive.

December 28, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Nazxul

I'm half asian and I think it's funny. Lighten up people!

December 28, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. code40dogs

I LOVE it!

For decades, Asians have been reaping the benefits of being the lapdogs of the white majority, being the quiet little sidekick that does as they're told and keeps quiet. Asians have lapped up the affection of the whites who see them as being the pleasant opposite of the meddling blacks and Latinos. Their reward; being cast the official Model Minority and marrying white males by the hundreds.'

But that was then, and this is now. As the Asian population grows in America, you will start to see the reality of diversity in numbers. The more Asians you have in America, the more likely you will get vocal ones who are tired of being spat on by whites and then pat on the head like little children when they don't complain. Asians are no different than blacks, Latinos, or any other group that has been the target of slurs; its just that they didn't have the numbers to step up and take on the white majority. But a funny thing is happening; whites are on the decline, Obama is a 2 term president and, guess what, Asians where the 2nd highest voting block for Obama (yes, even higher than Latinos).

Times 'er changing, and Asians are finally stepping up. Sorry whites, looks like your little lap dog is ready to poop in your front lawn.

December 28, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

Actually, Asians have been rewarded by capitalism for being intelligent, useful and productive. This app was apparently made with the maturity of a third grader. Third graders are built to be offensive

December 28, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
      • code40dogs

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

December 28, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bill

Tasteless? Most definitely.

Offensive? Quite possibly.

Is this something I need to spend time worrying about? Not at all, I have much higher priorities in life.

December 28, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Lol apparently not Bill because you are the biggest poster on this board. Get a life and actually do what you preach by not focusing your whole day on this. Hypocrite.

December 28, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. vp

I agree, it's offensive.

I also hope the "Marketplace" would vote and it would fail, but alas....

December 28, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. nashdog

Typical. No class. Too bad apps don't do anything to make Americans smarter, or suck at math any less.

December 28, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. Chuck

Im glad i still use a landline phone

December 28, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mike

Just going to throw this out there, but is it possible to breath without "offending" one group or another? Seems that no matter what anyone does, someone gets offended.

December 28, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Zane Stillings

Just going to throw this out there, Mike, but you'd probably be offended by an app called "Make Me Illiterate", since you don't know the difference between "breath" and "breathe". Indulging in these mindless stereotypes is what keeps these "groups", as you call them (really, you mean "people who don't look like me") from simply relating to each other as people.

December 28, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Giveitabreak

Zane, why would you take up an American name? Chill man, how many people do you see on these forums sweating about typos?

December 28, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • john

Well, apparently you are an Anglo. Just think how you would feel if some Asian or any other person not Anglo used this app to look Anglo. You obviously need some sensitivity training.

December 28, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
      • jay1776

I can tell you whites would not care if such an app existed we tend to not get offended as much or as easily as non whites do. Mike is on the money it's hard to do a thing without making somebody whining.

December 28, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Bill

All whites are not anglo. What is this 1955?

December 28, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

Making yourself look white is one of the largest industries in Korea. Look it up. Thanks to half white pop stars over there every urban woman is getting eye lid surgery and other cosmetic operations to look more white. I wouldn't say I agree with it, but I'm sure not offended.

December 28, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Rargh

Many Asians undergo plastic surgery to look Anglo.

December 28, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Pete1215

Make the app. I don't care. And I am European-American.

December 28, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • David

>> is it possible to breath without "offending" one group or another?

Breathe, not "breath."

December 28, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Wow. I'd be so offended by an app to make an asian look anglo. I'd probably cry for weeks, and then when I compiosed myself I'd write to Obama and ask for some free money for my pain.

December 28, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • ladyscot

Oh my God. Get over it already. Everyone is offended by something. Put on our big boy/girl panties and deal with it. You smiled at me, I am offended. You made a joke, I am offended. Guess what? I do not care if I offend you. Stop crying and learn to laugh. I am willing to bet my bank account that those same Asian Americans do or say something that offends someone else.

December 28, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. josh

this is as stupid as it gets. it looks stupid any ways, it's a joke. i think it would be cool to see your self as a different ethnic groups. this is all in fun. don't you think it would be amusing to see your self as a white person, especially a "typical" what ever white person! a middle age person, a red neck, a preppy, a hippie i mean you could go on. lighten up!!!

December 28, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  20. Fluffy

The headline for this article on the front page of the site is "Asians call Google Apps Offensive." Notice the pluralization of apps. This gives the impression that Google is doing something on a large scale offensive to Asians. You get into this article, and all it talks about is a single app. Whether intentional or not, this is misleading and should be fixed, lest you be deemed doing little more than trying to dupe people into reading a waste of an article about an app that no one would have heard about until you wrote an article about it.

December 28, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • m

Did you even read the article? It is two apps, hence the pluralization.

December 28, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Fluffy

Headline on this page, not the front page "Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive." Now it's singular. Somewhere they are messing up and misleading people.

December 28, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • derricklau

Totally agree with Fluffy. This isn't worth a CNN story. What about the economy? What about the fiscal cliff? I think those are extremely urgent for everyone, not just a specific segment of the US population.

This app in itself is not really racist. It's how it is used. If it is used to mock people because of their ethnicity than that is racism/prejudice.

Morphing faces into different ethnicities in itself is not racist. I've seen it done in mainstream commercials and it's standard practice to start with a basic human 3D model (either Michael or Victoria) and then morph their ethnicities to create a final product.

December 28, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. Grace17

I am offended by people who get offended.

December 28, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • JVazquez

I am offended by people who get offended by people who get offended.

Well, actually I am not, but this is what is actually all about, right? We always have to complain.

December 28, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. Stu

Asians used to be cool; now they're another group of whiners. Get over yourselves.

December 28, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd Evererett

Wow, some really dumb posts here. Just confirms there are still dumb racists in America.

December 28, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Andrew Lin

I think this says more about people who use the app then the google.

December 28, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  24. Oscar Pitchfork

So, how come this year, while Christmas shopping, I stumble across a Chinese-made, American Indiana kids "outfit". It was bubble-packed and contained a head band with a couple of feathers, a knife, a tomahawk and a fake scalp. Made by the Chinese....

December 28, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Major Tom

We have a thing called "double standard" in this country. It's ok when they do it. Just not when you do it. They have feelings and sensitivities whereas you and American Indians are assumed to have none.

December 28, 2012 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ben

You can't be referring to the "Made in China" label. Are you daft? Asian-AMERICANS are complaining.

December 28, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mark Yelka

Oh get over it. Too sensitive.

December 28, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. TheBob

First of all, somewhere along the line, orientals hijacked the term "Asian" to refer exclusively to peoples who used to be called "oriental". Asia is a gigantic continent that encompasses far more than countries inhabited by orientals, i.e. people with slanted eyes and yellow skin. Asia also includes India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and two dozen other non-oriental countries. Orientals are not the only Asians and do not have an exclusive right to the term "Asian". Orientals should go back to being referred to as orientals.

As a non-oriental Asian, I take offense at this misappropriation of the term "Asian". Oh, and as an Asian, I do not take offense at the app mentioned in the above article. I think it's totally fine.

December 28, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Major Tom

I agree completely. Except that the app should be called "make me oriental".

December 28, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • calvin0714

An Oriental is a rug.

December 28, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
      • TheBob

And china is a type of plate. You can't seriously be that stupid.

December 28, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
      • calvin0714

Actually, TheBob, the term "Oriental" is more offensive to Asians. I should know.

December 28, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
      • TheBob

You're missing the point. Just because they (and I assume you) are offended at a term that happens to be the proper terminology (meaning "of the East"), it doesn't give them the right to hijack the name of an entire continent and make it exclusive to themselves. As an Asian, I am offended by that.

December 28, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
      • calvin0714

I understand your point. My point is that I'd prefer to be called what I am, Korean. Not lumped into some large group of cultural ambiguity. Some people believe the term is antiquated, pejorative, and disparaging due to its usage in the United States.

"The word ‘oriental’ does not describe ethnic origin, background or even race; in fact, it has deep and demeaning historical roots." – Governor David A. Patterson, New York"

December 28, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
      • calvin0714

... and for the record I am not offended by the app. Political correctness is slowly and surely killing this country. At some point we seem to have mixed up facts and opinions. Most Asians have thinner eyes, that's a fact. Pointing it out is simply an acknowledgement of that. Pretending as if it doesn't exist is just ridiculous.

What's next? Will G.I. Joes also be considered racist to Asians because they have kung-fu grips? C'mon people.

December 28, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Bill

So the Governor of New York doesn't understand the meaning of oriental. Who cares.

December 28, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Squally

That's because the term "oriental" is considered derogatory now. You refer to things like food oriental, not people.

December 28, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

So apparently all Asians are easily offended.

December 28, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. Neal

There is a reason why there are no longer jokes about African Americans in full visibility and there are with Asians. It took African American's years to fight back insensitive and racist stereotypes and corporate American is fearful to push that button. However, Asians have always been the "turn the other cheek" people and thus have always taken unfair stereotypes. But the younger Asian American's are not from that culture and are not going to turn the other cheek and who could blame them?

December 28, 2012 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  28. Kris Craig in Seattle, WA

1. The app does play into racial stereotypes that many would consider to be offensive. It's clearly in poor taste.

2. Being offended by something, with or without good reason, does not give you the right to censor it. Part of "don't be evil" means respecting the principles of free speech. If you don't like this clearly offensive app, then don't use it.

3. Profit.

December 28, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  29. Trevor

She calls it a "Google app" yet Google had nothing to do with it's creation. Did she mean "Android app"?

December 28, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  30. Paul

I believe this app will sell very well, because of all the brouhaha.

December 28, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. atti

Is no big deal. There's an app, 'Make me American' that automatically adds150 lbs, puts you in a pair of gray sweatpants, and superimposes your picture in front of an all-you-can-eat salad bar eating the last 4 dinner rolls. You don't see people complaining about that.

December 28, 2012 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  32. Mia

So Im reading all of the comments that speak of an app to make you white or some other race but the piece that is missing in the conversation is history. The reason that some asians find these apps offensive are they used stereotypes that were ridiculed and caricatures that were created to mock a race. If they made the features change and didnt add the hat and mustache it wouldnt be "as" offensive. Example lets say there was a make me jewish app...and they put a curly fro on you and a big nose...maybe someone may find that funny. If they put a concentration camp stamp on your forehead not so much. A make me black app makes you brown skin with a dreadlocks and big lips ok..funny...blackface makeup with big white lips not so much.. Be light hearted, be able to laugh at yourself but they went too far.

December 28, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Miu

This is a disguised preaching.

December 28, 2012 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
    • ForMia

This is absolutely not true, nothing in this app is caricature, nothing mocking a race; look at the pictures! That's exactly what's so frustrating about this whole protest.

December 28, 2012 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
      • B

ForMia, The hat and mustache are symbols that were used to characterize people of Asian decent for years in this country. Also, IF this country (white people in particular) didn't have such a horrible and extreme history of being racist it would be easier to think, "this is all in fun". However, since whites have negatively stereotyped other races to their detriment for hundreds of years they have brought additional scrutiny on themselves, justifiably.

December 28, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Jimmy-James

B, wanna see horrible racism not done by Americans? Call one type of Asian the wrong type of Asian.

December 28, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
      • Brentwood Weekwell

B: We should acknowledge the wrongs done by previous generations of Americans. At the same time, many of the young generation reject these stereotypes anyway – Not all White people are "guilty"

January 2, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Schmedley

As long as the app is an equal opportunity offender, which it appears to be, I don't see anything wrong with it and I'm Asian. eh, lighten up folks, it's a silly app...

I'm sure downloads of the app will skyrocket after this article and very few people knew about it before...

December 28, 2012 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  34. f4xtrafn

Political correctness – again. Will it ever stop. Kids playing cowboys and indians is already "uncool". Whites playing playing blacks/asians/indians/etc in movies – "uncool" – why not just burn all the old western movies. Oh, and what about the more recent and acclaimed movies about gay men played by straights – how dare they! There are plenty of gay actor's aren't there? And what about halloween – girl costumes for girls only and boys for boys only?

That segment belongs on Anderson's ridiculist. The people using these apps are having fun with each other and that's nobody elses business. I can't believe a woman that thin skinnede is a journalist – or maybe it was just a slow news day. Idiots.

December 28, 2012 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ritz

With Anderson on top of the ridiculist.

December 28, 2012 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Kris Craig in Seattle, WA

Conservatives call it "political correctness." Liberals call it "censorship." They're both exactly the same otherwise.

December 28, 2012 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
    • B

As a black person there are alot of movie made in this country's past that I think should be burned. Or used as proof to show how racist this country's origins are. I wonder how a movie about the Slave Owner george washington would be perceived if it starred a Black man as george. IF this country (white people in particular) didn't have such a horrible and extreme history of being racist it would be easier to think this app is all in fun. However, since whites have negatively stereotyped other races to their detriment (especially in those old western you mentioned) for hundreds of years they have brought additional scrutiny on themselves, justifiably. IDIOT.

December 28, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
      • jayjay

And that is Black logic for you a 19 year old white kid living in 2013 should be held responsible for thing that happened in the 17 and 18 hundreds

December 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Question

I'm curious, was pastor Chin protesting Yale professor Amy Chua when she explained in her book " Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" why the Chinese mothers are superior to the American mothers, and raising better children?

December 28, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Yme

Agree, it was written under a thinly disguised pretext ("humbled by a thirteen-year-old"), but it was an arrogant book all right.

December 28, 2012 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  36. Wong

i think people are having the wong idea about this application. I'm asian, i think its funny.

December 28, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  37. William

A Google app? Whoever wrote this, you can tell he or she have no clue what an app is, what Google does, or what is a smartphone. A Google app is apps such as Gmail, Picasa, Maps, etc... Apps made by Google, Inc. Any other apps, like this "Make me Asian" its an Android app. Any idiot with half of brains knows that Android is an open source system, and that apps are rated by the general public. Shame on you CNN, at least hire people that knows a little about this subject.

December 28, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Bhor

They should fire the offended women in the video clip for her obtuse views.

December 28, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Kris Craig in Seattle, WA

I think you went a bit overboard with the "shame on you" part, but otherwise your point is valid. The person writing this article obviously flubbed on the terminology and needs to issue a correction.

Google Play (I still hate the name, btw) is not the iPhone App Store. In the App Store, all applications must be approved by Apple. It doesn't work that way on Google Play. They do have some guidelines, mostly designed to protect against malware; but for the most part, they take a laissez-faire approach. If you don't like the app, feel free to downvote it. But don't start demanding that Google remove it simply because it's offensive or in poor taste.

December 28, 2012 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  38. Tony

If they had a "Make Me White" app it would drop you in a background on the Springer show with a mullett, wifebeater and a tattoo. 8^p

December 28, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Clay

and I doubt there would be any white whiners crying about it and organizing little groups.

December 28, 2012 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Darthlawsuit

That sounds awesome! Make it!

December 28, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  39. Mainscribe

Now we have to have a law that forbids discrimination of anyone in this group and I'm ok with this. The group is the LGBTAIHHMFYO, however this cannot and will not apply to anyone making $250,000/yr, they can always be discriminated against, in particular if they work at all or are not a politician.

Thank you, thank you very much....

December 28, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  40. beibie

omg this is so hilarious

December 28, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  41. What

Why don't we protest and vilify the masquerade party goers, the men dressing up as women or the other way around, people wearing colored lenses, etc.? lol

December 28, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • REALLY?

Ive heard a lot of ridiculous comparisons to justify racism, but eye color? Really? That's new and demonstrates a complete kind of racism that some can only dream of.

December 28, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |

This sort of silly protest may lead one day to all kinds of aberrations.

December 28, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  42. Stanley

I'm Chinese, and I found the app quite amusing. I couldn't disagree more with these Asian American groups' attempts to curtail other people's freedom of speech over such a trivial matter. More generally, I really hope that Asian Americans don't become the race that tries to browbeat everyone else into submission. Not only is it wrong, it's highly likely to cause further racism and negative stereotypes. Muslims have that violent reputation, whether fairly or unfairly, and they certainly haven't gained any sympathy because of it.

December 28, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  43. doc363

"Chin said he wants Google users to know that the stereotypes in the apps have been used to marginalize and discriminate against people."

Says the guy whose blog uses a very stereotypical asian looking action figure as it's front page.

December 28, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  44. asian guy

I'll be ok if the had a "make me a black man" app. Yeah it's ok to bash on Asians but you can't make fun of the blacks?

December 28, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Nonprotester

You mean all the industry creating whitening creams and hair straightening chemicals, and all the people using them should be held responsible for creating and enforcing racial stereotypes? We, as society, should have a serious discussion about WHO REALLY creates and perpetuates these stereotypes. I hope it will be a more enlightened discussion than pastor Chin's rhetoric.

December 28, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • mugzee44

Or make me a Aryan!

December 28, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • layla

@asianguy – think you're missing the point. it's not ok to make fun of or bash any race, ethnicity, religion, or identifiable group of people. i'm not asian, and i find the app a little inappropriate. i would feel the same way about a "make me mexican," "make me black," "make me muslim," "make me mentally disabled/challenged" app, or any other app that uses negative sterotypes to portray a race or group of people. if you read some of the comments to this post, it seems there are a great number of blacks who find the app inappropriate (me being one of them). it's not an asian vs. black issue. it's an ignorance issue. the maker of this app is ignorant about your race and culture – instead of glorigying the positive stereotypes people may have about asians, she chose to identify and highlight antiquated characteristics and ideas she has about what make an asian person asian. she has reduced asians to a monolithic caricature, and that's what's offensive.

December 28, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  45. DFF

I am Asian and I am not offended in the least. Every culture has "stereotypes" that are used frequently whether from current images or historical images. It's all in the context in how these images are used or perceived. I'm honestly sick of this continual racial/cultural/ethnic sensitivity. I wonder how many of these "offended Asians" laughed at a redneck joke, or a gangsta joke, or whatever. Get off your soapboxes and get over it.

December 28, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. Jeff

Asians are more racist than whites. These people have a lot of gall to be "offended" by this stuff.

December 28, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • pepsee

Being an Asian, I agree with you. Although I think both the races used to be equallly racist. Whites have been more successful in getting rid of racism than Asians.

December 28, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  47. PM

1. This app was written by some developer that has nothing to do with Google.
    2. People who don't like the app can give it a 1 star rating and post their comments about it for anyone considering getting the app to read right in the app store.

December 28, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jim J.

No one can offend them more that the offense (or meaning) they carry within themselves. If an Asian person gets a white person's features (either through cosmetic surgery !! or through a computer application) the white person does not consider it offensive.

It's offensive to me to see how these people come to US from countries without freedom of expression and they try to change our society in the direction of the countries that they left behind.

December 28, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Ivy

Because, obviously, "Americans" who originally came from England did not attempt to control the way Native Americans were able to live at all.

December 28, 2012 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  49. Sheila

No matter how long people protest, its not going to make this stuff go away. There will be idiots, always. People who write this stuff, people who use this stuff, people who get their feelings hurt because idiots write and use this stuff. Get over it! Concentrate on what is good, noble, honorable, generous, patient... and forget about these fools. You'll feel better.

December 28, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • A fan

"idiots write and use this stuff"? What idiots are you talking about? those who do not listen and obey to pastor Peter Chin's revolutionary protest? He's just having his 15 min of fame trying to change our non-Asian values.

December 28, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  50. thehtjohn

I'm Asian , and I found that pretty funny.

December 28, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmm

Sure you are.

December 28, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

You're probably one of those self-hating asians like all of those self-hating jews around the country.

December 28, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
      • Wan

easy with the "Jew" terms. Korea is the only Asian country to almost blindly accept Christianity, as a whole. Didn't those missionaries teach you to be tactful.

December 28, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You should. I found out recently that Asians consider all other races inferior especially whites.

December 28, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
      • pepsee

Greg, you may like to investigate more. Did you see how many mongoloid Asian women marry white guys?

December 28, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
      • Pepe

pepsee, we know the reasons; these have little to say about what they think about the whites. Read The Tiger Mom's book!!

December 28, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
      • pepsee

Pepe, I can tell you from our experience. We work with many of them in a very big corporation. One mongoloid Asian girl told us they prefer Caucasoid look over mongoloid look in guys. Personally, I think that a person's talent is more important than his/her looks.

December 28, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  51. Paul

Whites are stereotyped. Remember that song," Party like rock star"? They're obviously talking about white folks. When you hear african americans talk about the rich white man or white man this and white man that, sometimes it's stereotyping. How can asians be outraged over this app. Is it lying? There is truth as to how many asians look. Many do have a unique charateristic to their eye shape, skin colour, hair colour. And as for the grooming of the face or hair cuts or clothing, you only have to look at the history books to find some of the same characteristics. You're suppose to embrace it, not be upset about it.

December 27, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • pepsee

You are right. What's wrong with Asian look? Yes, Asians have different look, Africans have different looks, Semites have different looks, Aryans have different looks. So? If I want to dress up to look like a mongoloid Asian, I won't choose square jawed, blue eyed, blonde Caucasoid look, I will pick the look of a mongoloid person. Are those protesters saying they don't have those features or they don't like the way they look? Would they rather look Aryan?

December 28, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • BBM

If the Asians find this offensive, they must think there is something in their appearance they consider offensive. How many whites would be offended if the application worked the other way around?

Why don't they find offensive and be vocal about thousands and zillions of surgeries Asians go through to widen their eyes?

December 28, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  52. Paul

I'm just going to be honest.... and it's ONLY my opinion. I'm white, married to a black woman, have two beautiful mixed children who I think have the most beautiful features. My wife and I joke about which of our kids have who's features. At times, my wife and I joke about stereotyping. My brother is white, married to a half Greek, half Panamanian woman is dark skinned. She even stereotypes her own race and whites and blacks. To be honest, stereotyping is a person's perspective. One person may say the person is brown, another black. It's all about perspective, regardless if it's right or wrong. Make fun of me all you want.

December 27, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  53. pepsee

Will it be ok to have an app that makes one look like an European decent? If the answer is yes, then what's wrong with an app that makes one look like an Asian or something else? On the other hand if European look is not acceptable in the app, then other looks are not ok. I have a feeling that most people wouldn't mind if the app was for "make one European looking." By protesting these protesters are asserting that non-European looks are not cool.

December 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Fermat

Percentage wise, there have been more mass shootings (more than 5 dead) by asians than whites. Heck, of the ten most brutal murders at unervisites or schools, three were committed by yellow folk. Iowa state, virginia tech, and that college in california eun by koreans last year. Lots of mass murder for only 5 percent of the population.

December 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

You're completely wrong. Most mass murderers and serial killers are white Anglo Saxon in ancestry and male. The young Asian man who shot up VA Tech was an anomaly. John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, Ed Gein, Charles Manson, David Berkowitz, Gary Ridgway, Albert Fish, Jeffrey Dahmer and Robert Picton. All white and all of them serial killers.

December 28, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Ted

First of all, Manson didn't kill anyone. Second, he is correct, percentage-wise. For the percentage of the population, there are a lot of these committed by Orientals. Same with Blacks. Percentage-wise, Whites are practically pacivists compared to minorities.

December 28, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  55. funny asian

i'm asian and kinda upset but i'm not gonna go out and kill a bunch of kids like white people

December 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wan

You can't be serious???

Remember how many schools were targeted by asians.

December 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

other than V-Tech

the rest, white kids

December 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wan

@ John

Did you read Fermet's list? Did you research it? I think Google makes an app for it.

December 27, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Steve

Amen!

December 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Bubba Link

I see their point. If they wanted to make a modern app that correctly displayed the Asian culture, they would just have a car that couldn't park, crashed into stuff, and was never washed.

December 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • DN3

You mean a BMW that can't park, crashes into things and isn't washed. Or maybe a Mercedes?

December 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Have you seen The Fast and the Furious? Perhaps been to an import car show?

December 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. HenryMiller

Chill out, people!

There's a bank (I think...) that's been running commercials for years making fun of half of my ancestry with a lot of ludicrous depictions of Vikings. And though it's faded now, when I was a kid in the sixties, there were a lot of televised stereotypes of the other half of my ancestry, Germans.

Getting all bent out of shape about this sort of stuff is just childish.

December 27, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. June

The headline is a bit strange. It's not a Google app. Google didn't write it.

December 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Wan

I totally hear what everyone is arguing, but who the hell is Pastor Peter Chin???

December 27, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • asian programmer

Isn't he a Family Guy character?

December 27, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Googlol

A preacher who can't decide which body part he is?

December 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tu

There's a link in the article bro

December 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wan

Thanks Tu, but it was a rhetorical statement , as in who the hell cares if Pastor Peter Chin approves or disapproves. I think he's trying to attach his name to garner some of the limelight. A little research will show that his father owned a store on the south side of Chicago selling hats. I'm pretty sure he was not living or contributing to that community. In fact, I bet he lived out in the suburbs. So while his family was selling junk to the low income families, he is now taking their dollars by "preaching" the gospel.

This is a common thing within big cities. Most of the stores that cater to African-americans are owned by Koreans. They are not reinvesting that money in those communities or helping the people. Now, Pastor Peter Chin is an advocate for equality?
        Please..total BS

December 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wan

@ mltngunmtl

part of the POC community..and what??? I'm talking about one person, and you're lumping everyone together. I can assure you no actions where taken where the store was or is nor will it. And why did he not start his gospel down in that community instead of moving away??

December 27, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tree

Yeah dummy!

December 27, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wan

Cool story bro!

December 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. John

Honey Boo-Boo - WHITE
    TAN MOM – USED TO BE WHITE
    PARIS HILTON – WHITE
    JERSEY SHORE CAST – WHITE
    BERNE MADOFF – WHITE

let them have their little AP

December 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • asian programmer

Adam Lanza - white
      James Holmes - white

December 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Googlol

These applications are very dangerous.

Michael Jackson used the "make me white" app, and look where that got him.

December 27, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • asian programmer

hey bro, nobody talks about the king

December 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ann

What I want to know is WHO are the people downloading this app? Isn't emulation of the Asian features a form of flattery or envy? 😉 It's all in the perception I suppose.

December 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

Not when it's Yellowface...

December 27, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ivy

and the fact that not all asians have slanted eyes, wear rice paddy hats and have fu manchu mustaches. It's like saying "wouldn't a 'make me american app' which makes people appear morbidly obese be an appreciation of the american physique?" The answer would be "No" because it's an untrue stereotype that has very little basis in reality.

December 28, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  63. NinjaGirl

I guess the " make me white" app morphs you into some toothless loser with an assault rifle and a bunch of dead squirrels hanging from his belt or somethng.

December 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

wow, im embarrased for you really, how pathetic are you? someone made some stupid app that people want to get their feeling hurt about, and then because you obviously are SOO against it, you make some rediculous ignorant comment about white people as a whole....Who the hell do you think you are? NINJA girl, your no better than the person who made the app, or the person who decided to get their feelings hurt and mark it racist. You really are disgusting!

December 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • floridasboy

you mean the "Make me West Virginian" app. $2.99 or free trial with ads

December 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • HenryMiller

One bad stereotype deserves another?

December 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • DN3

Will people learn how to spell and properly use contractions? Now, that's embarrassing.

December 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. AmericaLovesEurope

I just created a new app. It's called "Make me European (white American)"
    Frog eyes, humongous nose, body fur, missing upper lip, pink/red skin, and strange smell.

December 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaltoPaul

I like my body fur, and what's so bad about smelling like beer?

December 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. mofokraut

don't get defensiff. jest go to the offence and make some app for the krauts

December 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • PKD

So you're saying the person who created the app is German.

December 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. NinjaGirl

I won't even sweat this. As much as I hear white people bchng about changing demographics, I figure I'll just wait a few years. 'Just like the GOP found out this past Nov. sooner or later all the people whites love to laugh at may turn a few tables.

December 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. neal

There is a reason why there are no longer jokes about African Americans in full visibility and there are with Asians. It took African American's years to fight back insensitive and racist stereotypes and corporate American is fearful to push that button. However, Asians have always been the "turn the other cheek" people and thus have always taken unfair stereotypes. But the younger Asian American's are not from that culture and are not going to turn the other cheek and who could blame them. What happened to the American way about standing up for yourself?

December 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • neal

It's called showing respect and not assuming what is OK for someone else.

December 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

Like 😉

December 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • neal

Has anyone not asked the question, what is wrong with our youth today and the lack of respect they have for others? Well, you have to look no further than here. Many of those children are now immature adults.

December 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • kmillathathrilla

->neal.it's the exact opposite.young adults these days see racism as it is.we are not ingrained with the response our parents had, which was mostly racism on all sides towards the other ethnic groups.We are witnessing the come-about of 2 generations of adults and young adults, who have had tv, the internet, our whole lives....and gradually, our mixing pot, well, it will fufill its greatest promise.We have the internet and social media to speak out, and it is happening.

December 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lisa

@kmillathathrilla – I think you've misunderstood Neal, I believe he's speaking out against the developer of this app, not supporting it!

December 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Screw this politically correct stuff, people need to lighten up, yes I am white, yes I have friends of every race, I grew up in a foreign country but was born in the US. I am as far from racist as you can be, have gay friends, but I also know how to laugh at myself and love laughing, so if it's funny, I laugh, anybody who tells a joke should be able to take a joke back, that's the rule. That's all I am saying.

December 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • James PDX

People who can't laugh at themselves will eventually dehumorize the world.

December 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • floridasboy

you ever tell'em the one about "four gay guys in the hot tub" in mixed company???

December 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johan S

I really don't see what's wrong with this app. I don't see why an Asian would get offended. Would I be offended if someone made an app that turns a person into someone of my race or ethnicity I wouldn't have any problem with it. Asians eyes don't have an epicanthal fold ..I mean that's a fact God himself made .. How on earth is that offensive??

December 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • mltngunmtl

umm... Epicanthic folds are actually quite common... and the issue is Yellowface.

December 27, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • asian guy

If there was a "make me black" app, it would be shut down and there wouldn't be this discussion. Why is it that one can't make fun of black stereotypes but its ok to poke fun at Asians?

December 28, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  68. Randy, San Francisco

This is not innocent fun for laughs. It is bullying with real victims.

December 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • BldrRepublican

Bullcrap.

Man-up. Just give it time – there will be a "Make me American" or "Make me European" and you won't say a word about it, you hypocrite.

December 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  69. nikolai

I came up with "make me look like Adam" ap. Yeah, you can put on 300 pounds, a wife beater, place some KY jelly around your lips and top it off with a KKK hat....and PRESTO! you look just like Adam

December 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  70. neal

The consensus says that whites will be the minority in the near future. Lets see who whines then. Oh that's right, they are already whining reverse discrimination now.

December 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • BldrRepublican

Yup...

It's still every other ethnicity that's complaining now, however.

December 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  71. geckopelli

Another Manufactured Controversy?

Really?

December 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Aom

Ok Asians, let’s make those Black and Mexican Apps fly and tell those who object that they are being too sensitive, lighten up. Don't forget the Hollywood white trash ones too or better yet affluent white shooter.........Take your stereotypes and shove them up your...............

December 27, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlackGuy

Blacks and Mexicans didn't created the app. Blacks and Mexicans are not sympathizing with this. why y'all creepy eyes asians all about Blacks and Mexicans? can't you simple peasants fight with the wh1tes and leave the Blacks and the Mexicans out of this? oh I forgot, asians are the sissys of the human beings ( that is if they are).

December 28, 2012 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  73. BooFreakinhoo

Smoke a joint and get over it. NO ONE CARES BUT YOU! So what are you going to do, spend the rest of your life crying about it? Try to get even? Lose sleep over it? Hate people you don't know cause you think THEY hate you? Grow up. Live every day like its your last.

December 27, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  74. VietguyinUS

This app is very late-in-coming, i've been putting mustaches on people's faces in the magazines and newspapers for years .

December 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • kmillathathrilla

i lol'ed at this.so im not the only one!!!

December 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Vinny

So where can I get said app?

Does it make you a bad driver, too? Don't see what all the whining is about. Looks fun!

December 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Classic 😉

December 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  76. lg

no complaints about the russian & irish versions named in the story?
    could it be that every one that tried were quite happy with the improvement

is that racist?

December 27, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Christopher Hang

In the U.S., only Asians are still targeted to be insulted publicly. Clearly, some self claimed Asian commentators are not Asians. I feel very offended.

December 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • jose head

Christopher:
      Try being a white male, or a conservative christian....Then you might know what it feels like to be "insulted publicly".

December 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

How's it "Hangin"?

December 27, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • G_Edwards

Are you Asian, or Asian-American?

Seriously.

December 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldGuy

No, the only group that is officially allowed to be ridiculed is the middle aged white male.

December 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wan

I think every group is still targeted. It's just Asians are making a little money now and have lost their funny bone.

December 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  78. civic

things you buy in Walmart are made in Chinese labor-concentration camps (similar to Nazi camps) should we flag walmart as inappropriate? or as long as it suits us as americans we are OK with that?

December 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

That's another discussion... this one is about Yellowface.

December 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Adrian

How come she doesn't make an app call Make me Black or Make me an Arab?

December 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • justanotherguy

She would be blasted by the media, labeled as a racist, and her app business would be finished.

December 27, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jerry

Hey, legally "Native American" here and I'm not offended at all. Indian school mascots don't bother me, either.

December 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaltoPaul

I'm Scandinavian, and I'm offended by the Minnesota Vikings, but only because they've lost four Super Bowls. They should call themselves the Minnesota WeSuckAtThisGame.

December 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  81. oneWaySign

NEW GAME – Angry Asians

December 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo

If instead of occupying the libraries these particular Angry Asians would go out, at least occasionally, and have fun, than maybe they would understand the ridicule of this complaint.

December 28, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  82. Joe

Just went to google play and flagged as inappropriate. Hopefully this blog and everybody contacting google that this app is hateful or abusive content will create action. Even if the intent is not to be hateful, the fact that many people interpret it to be hateful is enough for it to be considered such.

December 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • oneWaySign

JUST LIKE Imaginary traffic signals

December 27, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

...and what about the people who don't interpret it to be hateful? Is it just the whiners that should get what they want? The key word is "interpret"; what was the intent? It's a clear parody and simple satire. Making stupid things like this into a big deal is crying wolf. When overly-sensitive, Oprah-watching groups start crying about ridiculous things like this, real issues get lost in the noise. Choose your battles people.

December 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Disco Joker

Well, I didn't know about it...but now I want it! LOL Thanks for pointing out something too absurd to be offensive!

December 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Jack

I'm Asian... I don't care.. we DO look different... the app is just doing a stupid graphic morph. Racism is for the weak minded. If you can't get along with other races... just stay under your rock, the mature people of the world will live outside with each other.

December 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

That's what this is about, something like this belongs under their own rock.

December 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • BaltoPaul

Clearly you don't know Jack.

December 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Dubhly

I would like to point out that it also did irish and russian, as well as fat and old...I am fat old and irish. get over it, its humor and steroetypes are used in humor all the time. So Since I have 3 of these aimed at me where as you have one aimed at you, and I can handle it with grace I would suggest you learn some yourself.

December 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Except

Your lack of self-esteem shouldn't inform how others behave.

December 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Amy

You clearly missed the point if you believe this comment shows LACK of self-esteem.

December 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • bd64kcmo

Wherever you got an idea the person has a low self esteem is totally in OUTER SPACE.

December 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. BReal

Make me white...
    Bully, terrorizer. Tormenter, but really just an inferior / scared coward. Are these fair stereotypes?

December 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoRemote

LOL......We simply don't care, but if you come up with some good ones, we may laugh with you.

December 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Who's spreading hate and negative stereotypes now? Also, ;ast time I checked, Russians and Irish were pretty white. This app isn't using race, it's using cultural stereotypes that are so ridiculous that they are found to be humorous to all but the PC police.

December 27, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Jack

Each race has certain physical characteristics and denying that and saying all races are exactly the same is ridiculous. I am Asian and the fact that this app makes your eyes more slanted does not offend me because most Asians really do have slanted eyes. Yes, the Fu Manchu mustache is outdated and no one really does it anymore but it did exist so that feature in the app does not offend me either.

What actually offends me is when people say untrue things about Asians and their culture. I think anyone of any race would become upset if someone else started running their mouth and spewed untrue things about their people and culture.

December 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • M16S20

I have a chinese friend who loves making fun of how squinty Vietnimese peoples eyes are

December 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • mddong

for some reason it is OK for peoples to do it to themselves, but when making fun of another race...watch out!

December 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • kitt

But why choose a Fu Manchu mustache? It does come from another era – an era in which Asian people were commonly villainized or laughed and called little yellow men.

December 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • nick

because ancient martial arts masters have fu manchus everyone knows that

December 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

The issue is the Yellowface, which in itself contain "untrue things about Asians and their culture."

December 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  88. S. Sheppard

I did realize Asians could be offended, doesn't that require a personality, and sense of self first?

December 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Shame on you.

December 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Liv

It's not S. Sheppard's fault. Clearly he's used the "Make me an undeniable jerk" app.

December 27, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Juls

I think you Asians are too uptight. Relax...
    I am Asian and I think its stupid to be offended by this
    Its funny, our differences are always a source of tension and self degradation.
    Its all natural, relax

December 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  90. are122

I guess they took it on the Chin.

December 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Marcel

That's pretty dumb. Why don't they create a Make Me Black or Make Me Mexican app and see how long until Google takes those down? Let's see how funny those apps will be.

December 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • asche

Well one thing is certain. There is no need in the country for a Make me a Crybaby app.

December 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  92. M16S20

Bwahahahahahaha!!! This is HILARIOUS!!!

Asians are so funny and silly people.

December 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Marcel

Wonder where are the Make Me Black or Make Me Mexican apps?

December 27, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • neal

You won't find it because African American's have stood up for themselves awhile now and Asian's have not. That's why Asian's have been an easy target. Kind of like the bully that picks on the little guy but shows more respect to the guy bigger than himself. Just a bully mentality at work here.

December 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmho43

Yeah, make the skin dark, the lips big, and a big afro. Nothing offensive going on there, it's just all in good fun, right? Unbelievable how the "non-evil" company doesn't see this as offensive.

December 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  94. gibsonsdad

You've hurt my feelings. I'm going to pout now.

December 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |