December 26th, 2012

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive

By Sarah Edwards, CNN

(CNN) – The maker of a Google app thinks it's fun to make yourself look Asian by changing the shape of your eyes and wearing a Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

Another app - "Make Me Indian" - makes you a Native American with brown skin, war paint and a feather headband.

“This is just a fun app (that) lets you indulge you and your friends," says the description of the "Make Me Asian" app created by user KimberyDeiss and available on Google Play.

"You can for a few seconds to make (yourself) a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other Asians," the description says.

Not amusing or cute, say Asian-American organizations that launched a petition to get Google to remove both apps.

The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians and Native Americans, said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans in the United States.

“These racist and offensive portrayals of Asians and Native Americans perpetuate damaging racial stereotypes and should not be distributed on the Google play store," said the campaign, which has an online petition to remove the apps.

Google, however, said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech.

"We don't comment on individual apps," Google said in a statement. "We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies."

KimberyDeiss makes other photo-altering apps including "Make Me Old" and "Make Me Fat." There's also "Make Me Russian" and "Make Me Irish," which play off stereotypes.

But the furor in the Asian-American community, sparked a few weeks ago, is growing. Blogs, including Angry Asian Man, have reinforced the call to remove the apps.

Washington pastor Peter Chin decided to mount an even larger protest on the website Change.org.

Chin said he understood Google's motto is "Don't be evil." That makes it hard to fathom why the company would support these apps, he said.

This is the first time Chin has protested in this way. He was prompted to act, he said, because Google refused to do so.

“Google normalizes everything from Google maps, Gmail," he said. "If you want to search for something on the Internet, you even say to 'Google it.'"

Chin feared Google's power would make people think the apps were OK.

"I wanted to make sure this app isn’t given a pass of approval," he said.

Chin said he wants Google users to know that the stereotypes in the apps have been used to marginalize and discriminate against people.

"It's not cool," he said.

CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report.

Filed under: Asian in America • Discrimination • Ethnicity • How we look • Native Americans • Race
soundoff (1,351 Responses)
  1. Really?

I've been on the Google Campus and most of the workers are Asian... its a joke people, stop "hating" everything. If you are offended then its people like you who offend the world...grow up.

January 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ken

I'm Chinese-American, and this *really* doesn't bother me.

Well-intended, but overreaching attempts at political correctness in every aspect of life, on other hand, disturb me greatly.

January 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JamesOnThePotomac

How about a "Make Me Gay" App?

January 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sunflower2

But of course it's okay for Asians to flock to their plastic surgeons to make their eyes more round and remove the hooded lids so they look more Western.... Get a grip people!!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Wow,

I'm Asian and I frankly don't see what the big deal is. I think the App's actually kinda funny. But Sunflower2, your remarks are most definitely offensive to Asians.

January 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • aubrie

Ummm. Chris I think you missed the point being made, and in so doing proved the point of the oversensitivity of Asians... You're funny..... You played right into that one!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Doc

Ermahgerd! Errvrybody is racist! >.<
        I cant tell you how many polish jokes i have to put up with on a daily basis, learn to let it go! Sheesh

January 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary L

Yes, or they should have an app that says make me American–and it makes you into an obese person with a sweatshirt, sneakers, and a big gulp.

January 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

Once more, they don't do it too look more western. They do it to look prettier. Do you really think it makes them look more like a white person? Does it alter their skin tone? Does it alter their bone structure? Such nonsense! Also, there's a second reason, as Asians age, well, as we all age, the eyelids droop and in Asians this effect is worse. It can often interfere with their eyesight. So, to be proactive some of them get it taken care of when they are young rather than wait until they are old when it will look more unnatural and when an operation will take more of a toll on their health. God, I get tired of explaining this!!!

January 3, 2013 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Shuffler

What does KKK or a hood have to do with being white?
    In your train of thought a black person would have a chain around their neck. That is just dumb.
    This app is available for folks who want to download it and use it. If you are offended then do not contribute to it's popularity. Simply pass on it and download something else. It's not rocket science.
    BTW I do not think any so called "white" folks were offended by the cartoon Peanuts.

January 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name*johnzzr

Google isn't going to take down an app because people find it offensive due to racial stereotypes. This is in conflict with their entire policy because of the freedom they allow. If we take this one down then in the future what counts as "offensive"? Then they need to start taking down anything that deals with nudity to foul language because someone can argue that's offensive too. People can do what they want and say what they want under certain guidelines just like people do on YouTube, Facebook and anywhere else on the web. So people are unhappy with an app, big deal. Obviously we should tear down every website with offensive material instead of dealing directly with society, the real problem at hand. Ridiculous.

January 2, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamanos

the app should say, "make me smart" and then change the person's face to an Asian face...i wonder who would be offended by that?

January 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

This is not just "offensive". Please keep clear the fact that what one person finds offensive another person may not. This app is downright racist and should be removed!

January 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KatC

Well, I had never heard of this, but now that they are making a stink about it, I think I will try it!! Thank you angry Asians for making this a story and letting everyone know about this fantastic app!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • FT

Exactly! That's what it is for, FUN....enjoy you normal person.

January 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JamesOnThePotomac

How about an "App" that make journalists tell the truth in an unbaised and objective manner without the normal lefthand or right spin.

January 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mddong

Everything is within reason until someone gets hurt....

January 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom J

And then it'd be hilarious! :>

January 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MNfree

Make me Scandinavian. Put a Viking helmet on my head and a blonde 'stache. If they make that app I am going to have a meltdown followed by a fit of rage..

Save the air you breathe and conserve the fingertaps on your comp for something that is actually hurtful. When you live in a world that fears to offend at every corner, there honestly will be an absence of creativity.

January 2, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A.C.

I am Asian, and I think this is blown WAY out of proportion. The issue of race is now subject to an implied affirmative action. It's socially OK to make a "Make Me Irish" app because the Irish population is white and happen to have a good sense of humor; yet, it's not socially acceptable to make a "Make Me Asian" or "Make Me Black" app because of the history of discrimination against these races. But please, let's look at the context. This is a light-hearted fun app, and no one actually believes that slanty eyes, a bamboo hat, etc. would make him/her a bona fide Asian. Let's get over ourselves, let the trivial things go, and dedicate our efforts to *productive* campaigning against genuine, serious forms of racism.

January 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

This is just another FOX NEWS type media from CNN. They interviewed 2 guys and 1 says "It's not cool." So we have to bother google? Don't bother google.

I tried the app and it's funny because I don't look much different. You should too.

January 2, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jon

Fox news? Isn't it liberals that tend to push political correctness?

January 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

a "make me irish" app isn't funny either.

January 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deadlift

Michelle has no sense of humor, apparently.

January 2, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jon

I'm Korean and I don't find this offensive. Its flattering that people want to see what they'd look Asian.

January 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mason

This Anime argument (Asians portraying themselves as White) is yet another effort to put Asian people into one neat box. If you really look at people, you will see that not all Whites have saucer eyes, and not all Asians have thin eyes. Some Whites you see are surprised, and some Asians you see are squinting from the sun. So to say that all Asians have this type of eyes is ridiculous and offensive.
    The point is, we need to fight ignorance, stereotyping and typecasting. Apps like this make people think that all Asians are this or that and it is just stupid.

January 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shuffler

Would you also think that all veggies should be removed from stores and restaurant menus because gaseous folks are offensive?

January 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GT66

How about one called "Make me Uptight."

January 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JLG

Asians pay plastic surgeons to look more Caucasian. Should I find that offensive? No, in fact I pity anyone that is that uncomfortable with their own ethnicity.

January 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penguin

With that logic, white people must dye their hair black because they want to look like Asians.

January 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ben

I am a good looking asian so I find this app hilarious. It must really hit deep with ugly people who look like the 'after' picture. Thank you for making this great app.

January 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mason

This is just another effort at separation of races, to make prejudice people feel vindicated in their poor treatment of Asians in particular. Such insulting media reinforces people to lambast and discriminate people of other races, so that they can feel free to be surprised and unwelcoming to every non white person they see–even though they may have been Asian American for ten generations. Just look at how much effort ignorant people take to prove stereotypes. We need to go forward not backward.

January 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. The Blowing Winds of Time

This is perfect. You see, I am an Asian trapped in an Anglo body. Now I can see what I should look like.

January 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. southernwonder

how about make me a christian app? oh that app has been around for over 2000 years, and still causing wars.

January 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Name one war in the last 100 years that has been because of Christianity? I believe the last war waged by Christians, ended in 1271 A.D. Nice try.

January 2, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • InGodWeThrust

How about any war that was started by a country whose currency includes the words "IN GOD WE TRUST". All those wars could be considered as 'Christian' wars...Not that Jesus would approve though..

January 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mellofumble

haha, KEB!

GOT 'EM.

January 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. KEB

At least I can use the right grammar when I respond to written statements.

January 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Hal 9000

I am offended when humans use emoticons, so please stop!!

January 2, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  23. copperpenny01

Someone (who is Asian) needs to download this app and do a "before" and "after" picture.

January 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sari

Grow up.

January 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Z

People need to lighten up, I'm Asian-American and this is pretty damn funny.

January 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bellevue

Well said Z. People do need to lighten up.

Just like they tried to tell people what they can and cannot wear for Halloween. Pathetic.

January 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • kkt88

I'm asian-american and I find this offensive. And I don't think "lighting up" on this app will be better in the long run.

January 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bob

This is offensive. Make me white, make me black, make me Jewish, make me Muslim...... think about what that would look like.

January 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

I'm Irish, I may have to check out this Irish app. Sounds amusing.

January 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Simple Test

I'm Asian and I am bothered by this and people have a right to voice their objection. A simple test, switch up 'Asian' for 'Black' or 'Hispanic' or 'Jewish.' Say make me Black puts an afro on your head and Air Jordans on your feet. Make me Hispanic puts a Mexican sombrero on your head and a taco in your mouth. And make me Jewish buys you braids, a yamika, and a star of David tattoo on your cheek. I won't even comment on make me 'Gay.' If its offensive and inappropriate to one group, it is to all groups. Google should remove that app, or if they are so bold, why won't they come out with Make me 'Black, Hispanic, Jewish, and Gay!'

January 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I see no problem with the app...if anything, it lets everyone know who is a f'ktard...I think the world would be better if the racists advertised so you could fire them, avoid them, prevent your kids from associating with them, etc...

January 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

I'm Korean and I say you are too easily offended. I actually find this flattering

January 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

jJewish is a religion.. I don't think it works the same.

January 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Drew

Wrong, Jews have common physical features big noses. We all know that.

January 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • FT

They are not discriminating. Religion is the same class as Race.

January 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • r belin

so religion and race are the same, okay, thats why being white is racist in and of itself, being black is just too da nm bad and being a muslim is certain death

January 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. AM

Rage against something, huh? And my wife is a gorgeous little asian girl and she was laughing hysterically when she made herself, as asian as can be, into a rice hat and fu-manchu. So not everybody is so sensitive as to be an angry asian man. Maybe you should spend some time in your native country and get back to your historical roots and forget the hate. My wife's a lover and a laugher and didn't give a hoot about that silly thing. She has better things to do...

January 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • r belin

yeh, like every so often going and standing on a corner like in the good old days

January 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. itsme2

I'm offended that the app doesn't work. I tried it, and the moustache and coolie hat were too small and positioned in the wrong place for the picture of my face. If an Asian like myself wrote the app, it would function properly.

January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

I just wish I had this app back in high school algebra2. I suck at math

January 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

I just wish I had this app back in high school algebra

January 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. pocohonta

It is not fun or funny! Google needs to stop planting seeds of hatrid to young impressionable minds by saying that it's okay to make fun of other ethnicities, because it will later revolve into hate crimes that could have been prevented.

January 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RC Roeder

Google, Apple and Microsoft are out to make money. If the app does not infringe on their code of conduct they give to the app developers, then their hands are tied. I would suggest aiming ther remarks at the developer.

January 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poor Baby

Awww, everybody wants to be a victim. Everyone has to find some way to be offended so they have SOMETHING to complain about. You don't like it? DON'T USE OR PROMOTE IT. Is it in poor taste? Perhaps. Am I tired of hearing everyone come off as a victim over piddly tish like this? DEFINITELY.

January 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. palintwit

We got a lot of snow here where I live. And snow makes me think about Alaska. And every time I think about Alaska, I think about Sarah Palin. And every time I think about Sarah Palin, I think about trailer trash. And every time I think about trailer trash, I think about the tea party. And every time I think abut the tea party, I think about nascar. And every time I think about nascar, I think about assault weapons. And every time I think about assault weapons, I think about Sarah Palin. And every time I think about Sarah Palin, I think about trailer trash. And every time I think about trailer trash, I think about the tea party. And every time I think about the tea party, I think about...

January 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak from LA

My friend you are thinking too much about Palin....

January 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ANNIER

LOL....LOL.....

January 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. palintwit

How about a "Lobotomize Me and Make Me Into a Tea Party Patriot" app.

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Or better yet, "Make Me an Obama voter".

January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • InGodWeThrust

uuh...cuz there's no need for it? It's already 4 more years. Sorry, too soon?

January 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. karl

Two Wongs Can Make it a White.

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

lmao you're goin to hell

January 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • InGodWeThrust

Hahaha! Evir Kar going to Herr!!

January 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. alicats

I'm sorry, dmanero, but I can't disagree more. Political correctness has nothing to do with it. I'm as caucasian as they come and find the use of stereo types to represent any race/ethnicity is extremely offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then you don’t know what Political Correctness means.

January 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Darryl

Everything is offensive to someone, somewhere.

How about we make 2013 the year of the decline of walking on egg shells for fear someone is going to say they are offended. OK, be offended and shush up and move on with life! Did they touch you, did they threaten you, did they rob you ...... no, get over it and move on!!!!

This politically correct society has gotten soooo out of hand that it is beyond moronic!

January 2, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • karl

What is up my nagger! Peace be unto you.

January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I agree enough is enough of walking on egg shells with everyone. It is just an app for fun. If you don't like it then don't download it or use it or talk about or look at it. They are the ones that CHOOSE to be offended. You can choose not to be offended.

January 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amen

Thank you.

January 3, 2013 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  36. Babak from LA

It might sound like fun, but it is also offensive .... I don't control the world, but I have power over what I down load ... I will not down load this app .... Happy New year all.

January 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • InGodWeThrust

I'm offenced by people offended by this app.

January 2, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. DoWah

When we elevate Kardashians, Jenners, and Snooki to the heights we've placed them we as a society have NO right to complain about what is offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • maestra730

So, SO true. Well said.

January 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mark

I'm sorry but I'm not a big P.C. guy but this makes sense that it would be offensive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. Until they come with a "make me British" or "make me Italian" application then there is nothing they can say that would convince me that the application was not aimed at making fun of people of specific ethnic origins that were non-European.

January 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak from LA

I am with you Mark ... Common sense!

January 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Common sense should tell you this is just an app and in no way affects you.

January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Babak from LA

sure, this does not effect me in any way, shape or form ... but my Asian friends find it offensive and I do too. Just because it does not bother me, doesn't make it OK.....

January 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The point it.. so what if it’s not "okay”. It’s an app.. grow up and get over it. I’ve only discussed it with one of my Asian friends so far and he laughed out loud. So are you saying your friend’s opinions are more important than mine or my friends? Oh wait.. IT”S JUST AN APP.. it doesn’t matter.

January 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • RyanWI

Did you read the article? The same company already has "make me irish" and "make me russian" apps.

January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • troy

they do.

January 2, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

They have a Irish and Russian one. As well as one for being fat. I don't think they are going after a specific group. I hope google doesn't remove it. If it doesn't violate googles terms then no need for pointless censorship

January 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Drew

Look, it's not like it's Mickey Rooney's character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" or anything.

January 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Anomic Office Drone

It's unfair to call it a "Google app" unless Google made it. The platform is called Android. It's an Android app, so calling it a "Google app" implies Google made it, especially since Google really does make some apps (i.e. GMail, YouTube, Google Maps, etc.). Do you call them Apple apps or iPhone apps?

CNN, please don't assign journalists to stories they don't understand because if the journalist doesn't understand what he or she is covering, the journalist cannot report on it accurately.

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

CNN has some of the worst online journalists I have ever seen. They never know what they are talking about and all they talk about is what they think they know.

January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Get over it

Faux is freaking bad too. Online news just kinda sucks in general.

January 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevintaylor22

Thank you! I tried to explain this in a previous post, but I just got a comment about how wrong I was and how I need to read and listen more. Irresponsible journalism.

January 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anomic Office Drone

It's sad that we live in a world where the most ignorant people are the most certain that they are correct.

January 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Drew

And remember "Cherry Clan" candies, from the company that makes "Lemonheads?" Had a wayyyyyyy politically incorrect character illustration on the box.

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kuron

I am caucasian and would have no problems with an Asian (or other race) use a "make me a caucasian" app. Geez, people are way too touchy.

January 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Galloway

The Asians do have a "Make Me Caucasian" app. It's called anime and manga.

January 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • aristocrat

Right – because you probably never got teased or harassed for being white or having "Anglo" features. For many Asians who grew up being taunted and harassed for having certain features, I can understand why it would be offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Get over it

Actually when I was 8, I got beat up for being white.

January 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

@Kuron

Same here.
      People really need to stop taking everything so seriously. This is why we have mass shootings. Not because a gun made someone do it but because over sensitive nut jobs don’t know how to cope with life.

January 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Galloway

You confuse stereotypes with reality??? Have you see the pictures? No. Ok.

January 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Drew

Best kind.

January 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  45. boozo

What if you're Asian and want to use this app? I wonder who that would turn out.

January 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Galloway

It turn Asians into stereotypical Caucasians. Just like in anime :0

January 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Galloway

It pleases me that you patronize an American news site like CNN, but "white and black Americans" don't give Flied Lice for any Asian web site. Sounds like you're the ignorant one. ;)

January 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  47. rufus

It is OK to do this for Asians, but if there was a "make me black" app that embodied certain steroetypes, that would go too far and Al Sharpton would let us know.

January 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

Al Sharpton is annoying. Why watch the hateful man?

January 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • hecep

What a strange and ill-considered post, and one that would only have made any sense at all if Al Sharpton has indeed come out and placed his seal of approval on the Asian app... which he hasn't.

January 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Robert Smith

I won't be offened by any of it. Many people would call me a redneck, I say so what. I don't know them and couldn't care any less about what they think of me.

January 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Solero

MAAAN it is funny! :D

January 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Landru

Interesting Nick, in that you are being offensive to combat those you feel are being offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jay

The most ignorant people on the earth are people who make comments like yours about specific people.

January 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Nick

Hey bud, I'm not East Asian, so I'm not all that offended by your ignorant comment.

Good luck with your economy though! I hear its tanking. Soon those "Asians" will be ruling you!

January 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Adam

... more ignorant than people who say "THESE and THOSE are the most ignorant blah blah blah" ???

January 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Drew

Beat you.

January 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Drew

Or should I say, I can see a ROT of people don't rike this ... what's the main probrem?

January 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Keiko

I'm Asian and don't find this offensive at all. It seems everyone gets their undies in a bind if anything mentions race. People nowadays need to lighten up and not look for offenses where none are intended.

January 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thank you, well said.

January 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Masa

Keiko – did you get made fun of a lot growing up because of your asian looks? Because I did. So, yeah, I find it offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fat Man

As children, most of us were teased about something. As adults, most of us have gotten over it.

January 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  57. offensive

EVERYBODY can be offended by EVERYTHING if they pay attention enough.

We live in a free society. You enjoy the freedoms that benefit you but bark at others freedoms????

You can always leave and live somewhere else. boo hoo hooo

What about oldify or the like. There are old folks stereotypes too. What about those?

January 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Hop

I support their being offended and will back the app's removal, if they will back the discontinuation of all Anime because it makes fun of 'anglo' features and is offensive to some.

January 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Anonymous

All these apps just sound stupid–has our society really stooped so low that they have nothing better to do than to sit around making themselves Asian, or fat, or Irish, or whatever? Get lives, people!

January 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The fact that you would even ask such a question implies….yes.

January 2, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jamesdusch

I have a life, i am just not living it right now. i am busy being Asian. For just fi dolla i do for you, you so pretty :o)

January 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. dnl

oh please! lighten up people. i really don't think anybody in the US has a sense of humor anymore. everyone gets their feelings hurt if the wind blows in a direction contrary to the direction they wanted.

January 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

I Agree with you.

January 2, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

UNTIL they say something that offends you.... We should be considerate of everyone's feelings. It's just better that way.

January 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. jim

This from the country that sells women's underwear in vending machines? Polease....

January 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Geno

And if they did, I bet there would not be an uproar over it.

January 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. palintwit

We need to name and shame the makers of this app.

January 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Mo

interesting.. asians protesting racial stereo-typing when they are so good at stereotyping black people.(simply read some of the posts below).. how interesting. to the asians, "how does it feel to be the one stereotyped?"

January 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Canadian

The fact anyone complains about this app is ridiculous. Find real news. The world is too hypersensitive. If someone thinks this app is offensive, you seriously need to grow up. Is it offensive to dress up for Halloween like you're a ninja?

January 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

I bet if it was Make Me Black, you would be up in arms over it and demanding it be removed. Hypocrites.

January 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Not in My App Yard!

"How did this get through" the reporter asks after the quick recap of the story. It got through because it wasn't identified as malicious, isn't violating any age rating (aka nudity or 'adult themes) and is a bit difficult for an algorithm to note as 'potentially offensive' to some people. The great thing about apps is – if people don't buy/download them, they don't become popular. It's not up to Google play to decide what might be offensive (beyond any laws on the subject), it should be up to the audience to rate it low if it's free or request a refund if they paid for it and it's not offering the service or function it was described as providing.

January 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Peter

Double standard.

When Asian Americans speak out, no one cares.

But when African Americans or Jewish Americans are the target, the app is immediately thrown out.

Pathetic.

January 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  68. linda houkim

This is offensive on so many levels.

January 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. lithezebra

If such an app were approached with humor and without disdain, it might increase empathy for other people, to see that the things that make a person look Asian, European, or any other ethnicity, are only minor details of physical appearance.

January 2, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. evan

so what is it that you are currently doing?

January 2, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  71. james

No really, the app is funny, and no-one would be calling foul if the app made you white.
    Its simply a double standard.

January 2, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  72. cc

its funny but not polite i guess. if there were a make me black or make me jewish app would there be a similar outroar?

January 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Of course.

Blacks would have a riots similar to the one sin LA back in 1994.

Jews would have gathering of worship in front of their synagogues.

Asians, as civilized beings, will be vocal and protest, peacefully about it to their congressional members and or to the company itself.

January 2, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mo

From your logic... black people and jews are uncivilized, but asians are civilized.. in which case i have absolutely no empathy for asians, is that is how they view others... i say may the app thrive.

January 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • The Truth

Your comment appears to be a stereotype to me and I am offended. Have you considered your ways with offending people.....? Let anyone with out fault throw a stone...!

January 2, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Papermate

Uh..yeah, right. I hope you don't shoot up a school somewhere. Koreans need to be more open-minded.

January 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  73. JKjouken

@gwf333 your comment makes you seem like the most ignorant person ever. This app is basically perpetuating stereotypes and i would say just as bad a using blackface. Not all Asians had fu manchu mustaches, not all chinese people wore the straw hats. The app is taking specific stereotypical images and using those. It would be like creating a Make me German app and making people look like Hitler. It doesn't matter that it's historical it's still insensitive and offensive. For you to not understand why this is offensive just shows you are completely missing the point. It's not a matter of being over sensitive or not. Creating an app that promotes stereotypes and racism is just plain wrong. There's no excuse for promoting ignorance.

January 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • inforodeo

I agree. If these apps made realistic (though still generalized, as all nations still have a bit of a "melting pot") changes to a person's physical appearance (along the lines of makeover and 'make me look old' apps), it might be more interesting, satisfying a person's "what if I ...?" Curiosity.
      Instead, by using dated stereotypes based on articles of clothing, these apps are offensive. Would we be offended if another culture made a "make me from Mississippi" app that made a person fat and white, an app for Californians that gave you plastic surgery scars and a fake-baked appearance?

January 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  74. kevintaylor22

Please do not call this a "Google" app, as it was not made by Google, it is merely available on their store. Call it an Android app instead. Thank you, you ignorant reporter.

January 2, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Geoffrey

It would not be there for one more minute if Google recognized it as offensive and removed it. All apps in the Google store are commonly referred to as "Google Apps". Android is a product of Google. The problem is with you, not the reporter. Learn to read and think.

January 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • kevintaylor22

Wrong. I never hear them referred to as Google apps. That implies that Google makes the app, which they don't. They are referred to as Android apps because they run on the Android OS, regardless of hardware maker (or OS maker, as is the case with Google). Case in point, another poster just wrote that they wondered why Google would create an app like this. Don't correct people if you do not know the facts yourself.

January 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anomic Office Drone

No one says "Google apps" when they mean Android apps, the same way no one says "Apple apps" when they mean iPhone or iPad apps.

Google apps are apps developed by Google like GMail, YouTube and Google Maps.

I understood what the writer meant, but that's not good enough. This article, as it is right now, needs editing and is not fit to print.

January 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  75. 1gadawg

funniest part of all this is, and I'd bet the farm, that the person who created this app considers themselves a 'liberal'... lol

January 2, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  76. Geno

Back in the 70,s when I was a kid in school. people used to have Polish joke books. They would show them to me as I was polish. You know what I did? I read the books with them and laughed, because they were funny. There were also German, Italian, Jewish, Irish, etc joke books. Nobody made a big deal out of them as they knew the jokes were based on sterotyoes and not real people. You have to have a sense of humor to get through this world. Either that or your time here will be very miserable.

January 2, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • sanibaar

hold on...you read them and laughed with them because you did not want to be left out. Not because you found them funny. Wake up Bro!

January 2, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
      • daddy2010

He's right, bro. They are/were funny. Same way I laughed at the Irish joke books that my Irish uncle gave me. You shouldn't have partied so hard the night before the psych 101 exam duuuude.

January 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  77. give me a break!

i'm asian american... and i'm not offended!!! it's just an app! why not go after hollywood and the media?? hollywood has stereotyped asians throughout history! we hardly see any asians in tv shows or movies. the only time you see an asian is if that asian is portrayed as some type of martial arts weirdo with an accent. if someone wants to use an app to make them 'more asian', let it be!!! the users who are using it are not racists... they are 'open-minded'. i have yet to see any organizations protesting asian women who deny their heritage by running to a plastic surgeon to fix their eyelids. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

January 2, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  78. Tom

This is extremely offensive. As a litmus test, imagine if this app were called "Make Me Black" and added flared nostrils and wide lips to your face. It would explode in the news and there would be people with pitchforks protesting this.

January 2, 2013 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Shuffler

It is an app..... if you don't like it then don't use it. Treat it the same as any app.

January 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

The only thing a 'Black App' would do is give someone color as 'blacks' are various in features. Do not be so small minded. Africans posses the gene pool for all other races!! Stop your mental stereotyping. It is not smart!

January 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meh

I think a "Make Me Black" app would be hilarious. You could pick some seriously funny stereotypes for that one! An afro and a basketball or something! I don't really understand why anyone would find this offensive. Its a joke and no one believes that Asians are usually seen with a Fu Manchu moustache and a rice hat! In fact, I dont think I've ever even met an Asian that had either of those features.

January 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  79. TheXDude

"The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians..." Gee, I didn't know physical appearance was a 'stereotype'. I guess Asians should stop looking like that then.

"..said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans" The fact that this organization exists is just as racist.

January 2, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  80. sanibaar

So...Make me American would have Mcdonald's on one hand and Gun in Next?

January 2, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Geno

Yes sanibaar, and most Americans would find it funny and laugh.

January 2, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
      • Kim

That's because most Americans are too stupid to see why it's not funny.

January 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jim in PA

But we need affordable labor to do farm work and to add proper punctuation and grammar to your internet posts.

January 2, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  82. thisislibs

Liberals are the ones behind this kind of "MEh cry cry I'm offended!"

Always are, biggest dumb babies on the planet.

January 2, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Until you can form a complete sentence (especially, one using rational thought), you shouldn't call others dumb. You're so dumb, you can't even see why this would be offensive. You're so dumb, you can't tell the difference between a "liberal" organization and an organization made up of Asian-Americans.

January 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Geno

Kim, you are really good at that name calling stuff. Is it working for you, have you convinced anyone that you are right and they are wrong by using this tactic?

January 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Chai

I'm waiting for "Make me an ultra-rich white mormon male republican who lost the election for US president." Come on, KimberyDeiss, let's be fair!

January 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. sgman

What's the big deal? Our society has become so childlike with EVERYTHING. Every culture or group isolates themselves by claiming to be Asian-American , African-American and so on. Get over yourselves; you are AMERICAN, but by claiming the hyphenated surnames, you automatically put yourself in a position to call everything you see "racist" or "offensive". In America we have (Im not so sure anymore) freedom of speech, religion, press etc. It seems it only applies when a group wants to attack others when they don't agree with an agenda that they are pushing on the public, and someone disagrees with it. Example- gays pushing their beliefs and ideaologies on everyone through tv and media. It's gotten to the point that anyone who doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle is labeled racist or intolerant. Society has gotten to the point of acting like 5 year olds because someone else ha s a different view or opinion. Grow up and mind your own business. Worry about yourself instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing and stop trying to be the defender of your beliefs for all society. This app is meant to be fun, and that's all. So sit back, put a fu-Manchu on yourself and have a laugh. The world needs more laughter and less hate. Peace and God bless.

December 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • gwf333

I don't know what the problem is. I am German-French-Native-American. I use that all the time. I don't know why they can't. Sure, some people could just refer to me as an American (or more correct, a North American, or US American), but most of my friends refer to me as a German-French-Native-American, though usually they just abbreviate to GFN-American.

January 2, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter

The media doesn't see that everyone in America are Americans. Therefore, society, by extension doesnt see everyone as equals. They feel that there is a need to segregate the people by their colors or ethnicity. To make it easily processed in the minds, as they say.

January 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  85. r belin

you dorks talk like there is no hatred and /or ugliness in the world, thats what this is all about after you throw in the mutated

December 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  86. MC Vancity

When Asian Americans complain about racial discrimination, they are always dismissed as being 'too sensitive' and to 'lighten up', 'have a sense of humour'. If an app offended African Americans or Jews, the apps would be removed without hesitation. It goes to show you that Asian Americans still have a long way to go when it comes to respect.

December 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Leon

Its just a stupid app.. lol

December 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. NC_Right

Peeta?...who Peeta?

December 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  89. luvey

Freedom of speech.... ha .... what a joke.

December 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Dragon

Your hatred for Asians outweigh your outrage of this app on the Native American culture. It figures. America has always been anti-Asian. We'll remember that when the time comes. And it will come.

December 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tengu

Did you even read his post? Can you read? He stated that asians are complaining about this app, when all it is, is a retrofity of stuff already existing in which others (Irish, Indian, fat, etc) are replicated using a picture, but how many fat people are lined up to protest? How many Irish? Etc. The truth is that teh app was probably made by someone asian and are reaping th emoney and free advertising of this "terrible attack on asians everywhere.
      Oh and BTW if your time hasnt come in all these millions of years, I wouldnt wait on it now.

December 30, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  91. Dragon

Doesn't matter. When the Chinese take over, first company to go will be google.

December 29, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jeff

Whoever made this app is getting great publicity from the very people offended by it. Downloading it right now!

December 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jeff

If it made you white, no one would complain.

December 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • hypocriticizer

why is this or why is this not racist? go.

December 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tengu

You are right. Whites (me included) take it as the joke it was meant to be and not a reason to feel "hurt".
      People need to grow up and this PC crap needs to stop. Ithink that is the reason you dont see asians or blacks etc making fun of whites, because they know we dont care. With all the other stuff going on I cant believe this even made the news.

December 30, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter

You are absolutely right! The same app developer has apps that "Make me Russian" and "Make me Irish", but nobody even noticed those buried in the middle of the the article.

December 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jim in PA

I don't need an app to be Irish, I just need a beer and a fistfight.

January 2, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Yet if it was Make Me Black, with all the black stereotypes, all the people who said it was no big deal would be up in arms.

January 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  94. dan watson

bet you will never see make someone jewish.

December 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SAWOLF

Yeah it would have to award you a Nobel.

December 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Andy

Or rob peoples life saving.

January 2, 2013 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  95. jake

you tried unsuccessfully to bring the African-Americans into your protests; glad they brush it off; otherwise you'd had resuscitated the slave cause.

December 29, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • r belin

check reality, slavery is alive and well , especially in the usa

December 29, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

@Jake I had made no reference to African-Americans in this comment.

December 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  96. chad

i love how you to refer to the humor of blacks as if everyone lumped into that so-called race has a uniform sense of humor. rubbish.

December 29, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  97. Veteran

You got it all wrong; the Asians who don't complain understood that you take the blatant Yellowface/Yellow Peril notions out of their historical context, to fit your agenda. People like you pollute our society and instigate to conflict.

December 29, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

As you implied, this is something that belongs in history, but this issue makes it current... that is the problem.

I think it as a way to clean up the mess that history has made... before it lends it's way to repeat itself.

December 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Guest

You guys are way too tight. Why come to America and then wish it was more like China?

December 29, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  99. cheryl

I do hope you know that you'd be considered an illegal alien as well. the "first settlers" weren't the first to live in "America"

December 29, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Iris

When there will be more of you here, you'll make use feel plenty clear as aliens in our own country.

December 29, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • CHeryl

@Iris

Your comment doesn't make any sense as a reply to my comment. I'm merely saying that caucasians weren't the first to live in what you call "your country"

December 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  100. clem vinson

what we need is a list of acceptable stereotypes...

chinese, black, indian=no good
    homeless, fat, italian, irish=okay

my question is why? why is one stereotype okay while another is taboo. I just don't get it.

personally, i embrace all stereotypes. if you can't laugh at yourself, you've no right to laugh at others. lighten up people. to one degree or another, we all exude each stereotype.

December 28, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • mltngunmtl

The issue is in regards to Yellowface and the negative historical sentiments that it entails... it's not just a silly meaningless caricature, and it has nothing to do with humor.

December 29, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Jim

It is offensive for us Americans to see make a Yellowface issue of this app and pretend we live decades back. If people like you emigrate to Germany they'd instigate the Jewish Germans to think of the today's German population as if they were natzis. Why not make us feel guilty that we like slaves?

December 29, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
      • mltngunmtl

@Jim Germany had initiated laws against discrimination due to the Nazis. You wouldn't be able to find anything anti-semitic of this nature there because they dealt with it... and I have made no reference to making anyone feel guilty but having a sense of responsibility.

December 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |