December 26th, 2012

Asian-Americans speak out against Google app they call offensive

By Sarah Edwards, CNN

(CNN) - The maker of a Google app thinks it's fun to make yourself look Asian by changing the shape of your eyes and wearing a Fu Manchu mustache and rice paddy hat.

Another app - "Make Me Indian" - makes you a Native American with brown skin, war paint and a feather headband.

“This is just a fun app (that) lets you indulge you and your friends," says the description of the "Make Me Asian" app created by user KimberyDeiss and available on Google Play.

"You can for a few seconds to make (yourself) a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other Asians," the description says.

Not amusing or cute, say Asian-American organizations that launched a petition to get Google to remove both apps.

The apps use dated and racist stereotypes of Asians and Native Americans, said the online campaign 18 Million Rising, named after the number of Asian-Americans in the United States.

“These racist and offensive portrayals of Asians and Native Americans perpetuate damaging racial stereotypes and should not be distributed on the Google play store," said the campaign, which has an online petition to remove the apps.

Google, however, said the apps are not in violation of the company's policies that protect against hate speech.

"We don't comment on individual apps," Google said in a statement. "We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies."

KimberyDeiss makes other photo-altering apps including "Make Me Old" and "Make Me Fat." There's also "Make Me Russian" and "Make Me Irish," which play off stereotypes.

But the furor in the Asian-American community, sparked a few weeks ago, is growing. Blogs, including Angry Asian Man, have reinforced the call to remove the apps.

Washington pastor Peter Chin decided to mount an even larger protest on the website Change.org.

Chin said he understood Google's motto is "Don't be evil." That makes it hard to fathom why the company would support these apps, he said.

This is the first time Chin has protested in this way. He was prompted to act, he said, because Google refused to do so.

“Google normalizes everything from Google maps, Gmail," he said. "If you want to search for something on the Internet, you even say to 'Google it.'"

Chin feared Google's power would make people think the apps were OK.

"I wanted to make sure this app isn’t given a pass of approval," he said.

Chin said he wants Google users to know that the stereotypes in the apps have been used to marginalize and discriminate against people.

"It's not cool," he said.

CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report.

Filed under: Asian in America • Discrimination • Ethnicity • How we look • Native Americans • Race
soundoff (1,350 Responses)
  1. Stridulous

I happen to be Asian but was born here and, consequently, have a local sense of humour. I am not offended whatsoever. If we can’t laugh at ourselves, make jokes (even racial ones, if they are funny) then, frankly, we become losers. The guy who is complaining certainly does not speak on behalf of the Asian community.

January 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • luckydice888

i tend to agree. I thought the screenshot of the app was actually pretty funny. still, there is a line between some edgy humor and outright prejudice, but I don't think this app is it.

January 2, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

Hmmm..I agree the app in itself is not prejudice BUT apps like this can help to create or foster prejudice. Just like caricatures of blacks and Jews were able to foster prejudice about those groups.

February 9, 2013 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • JMan

I agree. This is not an offensive app. What I do find offensive is people who are hyper-reactive against anything that even touches on their own racial background. It's okay to have fun with the Irish, Asians, Germans, Scots, African-americans, Australians and every other group on the planet if it is done without malice. Stereotypes exist for a reason: Because they are representative of a particular group of people. When I was a young boy I would ask my mom if we were American Indian and she replied "No, but I do like to tell my friends that I've got English, Irish, German, Welsh and a fifth of Scotch in me!" Now that is funny. Learn to laugh at yourself and you will enjoy life much, much more.

January 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenny

18 million people would have to disagree with you.

January 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. curious

what if you're already Asian? does it make you caucasian?

January 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

Caucasian people are derived from Middle Eastern people (the original people from the Caucasus Mountains) and Middle Eastern and Indian people who are also Caucasian –are believed to be derived from the Asian people==so now... try that joke again....

February 9, 2013 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. momo

just make a patch, and let it work for other ethnicity too(white, black, hispanic etc). problem solved
    people put too much emphasis on racism and stereotypes lol .

January 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • momo

just in case, I am a minority married to a beautiful asian woman, and we think its hilarious.

January 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • queenbee9

Minorities who marry outside their race and the people who marry them tend to have a different take on racism. some are more empathetic, while others practice a sort of self hatred and the reason they are marrying outside their own race is because they are rejecting it–so what you are and how you feel about this app says more only about YOU but does not mean every other Asian or minority has to agree or feel the same as YOU about anything.

February 9, 2013 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Regan

The creator did it for the shock value. The fact we're talking about it proves that it worked.

January 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Alex

"Asian" does not mean people from Asia in many contexts. For example "I am an Asian girl" in a personal ad does not mean she is from Turkey or Saudi Arabia.

January 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alex

They should really publish "Make me Caucasian" app for people of color. With as much "stereotypes" as they could. I would not be offended and I think it would protect their point that it is just for fun. Also the opposite is true, if they refuse to make "Make me Caucasian" app, accusing them of racism is not completely unfounded.

January 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. stupidstupidstupid

all these comments are so funny and made me realize how people are ignorant. we can just laugh about this app, not because it's really funny but because it's damn stupid. after seeing the picture above, i don't get it what is Asian look. the developer herself seems not have any idea where is Asia and what makes Asians. stupid. and come on people. i have to ask you. so you've never seen people making a fun of Asians with a finger gesture for making a slanted eyes. but as an Asian and as a well trevelled person, i've experienced a lot. in Europe and the U.S, it's no funny at all. and if something is insulting a certain group of people, only those people who objectified can tell it's insulting or not. you don't have any right to say about that. if we felt insulting. that's insulting and you guys made us feeling like that. shame on you.
    and the one who mentioned about the plastic surgery in Asia....why don't you read and try to understand more about this world.

January 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cj

The app was created by someone who felt that it would be funny to make something ridiculous. It's not meant to be serious. Anyone offended by it, including you, needs to lighten up in a serious way; from the sounds of things here, however, most Asians aren't really offended by it. Do you really think anyone believes that Asians actually look like that? I've never met anyone with a Fu Manchu, I've never handled a paddy hat. and I've only ever known one person with a bowl cut. I laughed at such pictures when I was younger, and still laugh at them because they don't even resemble an Asian. They resemble what I might jokingly say an Asian looked like back when I was in second grade, but I still knew better, even then. One of my friends growing up was Asian, and he didn't look anything like that.

Also, to be well-traveled just means you've been to a lot of places. It doesn't mean you're necessarily more knowledgeable about them. And you don't seem to have that much of an ability to take a joke. And it's not cool to make uneducated claims about another person's intellect when you've never met them. You might insult them.

January 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Flamingo Kid

GET OVER IT! There is NOTHING offensive about this at all.

January 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Isma'il

They sell products in Asia to help you look more white. Seriously, they sell products with the purpose of whitting your skin.

January 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. FT

I'm offended when people with curly hair wear straight hair wigs. NOT!

January 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Asian living in Asia

What about Asians dying their hair blond and making their eyes bigger than they actually are? Or undergoing cosmetic surgery to have higher noses and wearing colored contact lenses? Is that offensive? Lighten up people!

January 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. FT

That would been cool! They can make it work like "Flick Fishing"

January 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. doublefistpump

This Asian thinks that people offended by this need to lighten up and grow a sense of humor.

January 2, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ann

People are just too easily offended these days. This app is NOT offensive, it is just playing dress-up! Every time a person wants to act out a part in a play, they usually dress in some stereotypical fashion. So what? Is anyone offended by that? Come on! The world has much bigger issues to worry about than this.

January 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. FT

It's called CNN...duh

January 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. fl45

Look at the number of installs at the app store. It increased 100 fold in the last 30 days. All these people accomplished was draw attention to it.

Lighten up people, i'm Russian and "Make me Russian" app by same author gives you a bushy beard, dark circles under eyes, and an alcoholic bulbous red nose, it made me laugh when i saw it. It sounds really boring going through life being offended by every little thing.

January 2, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. adam

How is it racist if I want to look like you......

January 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • fyre

Because you don't *want* to look like another race, you're dressing up to look like some ridiculous caricature of another race to make fun of *them*. There's a long history of that happening with blacks, Asians, Native Americans and Jews.

January 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Name*Tyler

Too funny!

January 2, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. FT

"Make Me Asian" app is not meant for Asians.................and I thought they were smart.

January 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. FT

See, now we're having fun.

January 2, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  21. woodie

It's funny but after I started doing portraits I discovered Asian's do not actually have slanted eyes. They have heavier eyelids. Clint Eastwood has slanted eyes. That is a European male trait.

January 2, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

No, Clint , like all humans, has round eyes. If you take the eyeball (called eyeball for a reason) out of it's socket, you can see it is round.

February 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Drew

How's about if they had a "Make Me Jewish" app and you go to use those stereotypical features to make your face ... a big nose, curly hair and all the other stereotypes? How'd that go over?

January 2, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dandude

I suspect there would be some busybody Jewish group that would go out of their way to write an angry letter. The public probably wouldn't care though, its amazing how quickly some people scramble to do whats popular In this case getting indignant.

January 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • FT

I'm a Jew and i was just going to post the same thing. I think it would be funny as poo. Like people do it anyway. We all poke fun at each other life is too short to make things like this an issue.

January 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • retwqaas

While that is true most people who poke fun at others from another race are friends with that kind of person. This is just ignorant. Its one thing for you and your friends to joke around at your homes because after the laughter you can sit and have a real conversation. This app just allows you to take whatever stereotype is in there and blast it out as if this is a fact. This will only create more and more young people who will have little to no respect for others attributes or customs.

January 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. George

This has to be the most backwards and outdated comment system I have ever seen. Its 2013 how about trashing this system and using a modern one

January 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Blushed Pink 104

This app isn't racist. A lot of these comments are though. It's a sad day for America.

January 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ArthurP

Meanwhile as reported on many other sites over the years Asians are undergoing plastic surgery to give themselves more Caucasian appearances..... and I never heard a peep of protests from Caucasians.

January 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Live

Do you read/edit your comments after you post them? Perhaps you should. Your comparison is so off-base it's embarrassing. Asian people get surgery to look like us "Caucasians" because they emulate us, to look more attractive because of Western culture. It's not for mocking or deriving some sort of amusement from.

January 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • FT

Did you ever wear costume on Halloween and have fun?

January 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

Actually they're not trying to look like white people. To do that they'd have to be able to alter their bone structure. What they're trying to do is be prettier Asians. You have no idea the importance Asians put on looks. I heard about one rich man in China who married a beautiful woman and they had a child. When she was about 7 she was ugly. As he himself was very handsome, he asked his wife, what gives? She says, oh, I had plastic surgery. He divorced her and married a beautiful woman who had NEVER had surgery. Obsessed with beauty!

January 3, 2013 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. humtake

Sorry, but slanted eyes is not racist. It is a characteristic. Those who think it is racist are insecure about who they are. Now, if they were letting people put slanted eyes on their pictures and the name of the app were something like "Make yourself look stupid", then sure, that is racist. But to use a characteristic to form a picture of someone from a certain ethnic background is just being logical. If I were to pay someone to paint a Korean man in a boat on a small river, and he drew the guy to look like Jesse Jackson...I'd want my money back. Would I then be considered racist for wanting my money back for not getting what I asked for?

January 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. GoPats

Glad to see the trolls are out in full force today!

January 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • FT

Thanks for noticing.

January 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  28. r belin

this author hates white people because the part of her that's best, white, is going to forever eclipse all her other jealous parts

January 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • veggiedude

There is only one race, the human race. What makes us different is culture.

January 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

Read up on The Human Genome Project.

January 3, 2013 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Seriously Dude

Nice to basically assume an entire race thinks one way because of this. It's okay, us other "non-Asians" at least have to capacity to not be so narrow-minded. You need to go outside more and educate yourself instead of posting and looking like a fool.

January 2, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brandon Curley

I've always wondered why some African Americans in the media and news will spin any situation that happens to another race and make it about them, downplaying the current issue and saying the offended race shouldn't be because African Americans have it worse.

January 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hip-hopper

They do have it worse... they're black.

January 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Hector Rules NJ

To the Writer of the article:

Native American and Indian are not the same; thought that would be obvious if you hold a job as a writer for CNN...

January 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

That's the name of the app...

January 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. RickJamesMemphis

Really? Offensive? So the next time my kid wants to dress up like a ninja for Halloween I should not do it because we arent Asian? I think people need to get a grip!

January 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

Any joke or stereotype about any human must stop. In fact, let's all stop laughing altogether. People with inferiority complexes might think we are laughing at them and buy a Bushmaster and go on a killing spree. From now on, only knock knock jokes are allowed, which must first be reviewed by the PC police, and a response no greater than a slight upturn of the mouth will be appropriate. Anyone caught playing Bingo other than old white folk will be imprisoned, anyone dressing up as a real person for Halloween will be sued, and if adults dress in clothes deemed to immature for their age they will be whipped for mocking our country's future. You have been warned.

January 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • TerriTerri

There's a saying, "Know what a man will laugh at, and you will know the character of that man." Why people want to laugh at and make fun of other human beings in a mean spirited way is beyond me. I don't see humor in making someone feel bad. You can say it's the person on the receiving end's fault for not having a thick skin, or being too 'sensitive', but when I see, hear or experience people making fun of other groups, I don't think poorly of the group members, I think the buffoon making the supposed 'joke' is just very, very ignorant. It takes brains to make jokes that don't offend. Any idiot can quickly make a 'joke' out of mocking or making fun of a group.

February 26, 2013 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  33. The Asian American Authority

Also... curious what will happen if she made a Make Me Black app? I say make it.

January 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. The Asian American Authority

I'm Asian American and found this disturbing moreso because they got the Fu Manchu wrong. Looks more like a Mexican Pedro mustache!

Please get this right so I can make fun of myself:)

January 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jeremiah

your post holds a lot of truth to it. as racist as it may sound or whatnot, what usually goes is whatever the current ruling party or majority say is acceptable.

January 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Inky

An interesting feature in this app is the sound effect. When you take a picture the camera goes "crick".

January 2, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • DatsFunny

Me ricky dis comment

January 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Django

I'm not against this app as much as I am against the double standard we have in the U.S. of A regarding race. How is it that every race is open to mockery except African Americans. I understand the issue of slavery is a burden in our history but let's not use it an excuse for fairness.

January 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • cedar rapids

i think the point being made here is that no race should be open to mockery, not that its ok except for AA.

January 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

The real double standard is why do we need to make a mockery of any race anyway? And why is the one race who always leads the way in stuff like this the one race who has done the most denigrating to all the other races?

February 9, 2013 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  38. walker

Inferiority complex?

January 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • newyorkjsw

they are inferior! really.

January 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • macro

Yep... it's obvious Asians are lagging behind everyone else in the world. You sir, are brilliant. Keep posting!

January 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Bruce lee

Is there an app to make people smarter ?

January 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • r belin

uh huh, they played the for children on television and at the theater for years and years, still do, except the dude with your namesake kicked it about 16 years old and it lost its flare somehow not to mention wsting the endeavors of millions of stupid white kids taken in my money moguls

January 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  40. HAL9001

Do they make for Apple? I want it

January 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jared Hamelin

He who raffs rast, raffs roudest. – Ancient Chinese proverb

January 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • r belin

it goes like this:he who flaps past is really only passing gas

January 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chris

iIt IS funny to make you look asian. Welcome to America !

January 2, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Adam

I am Asian American. I don't remember ever seeing any Asian with the fu manchu mustache. I don't see how it's offensive. It's like the app that can make you look older. Do you offend old people for using that app?
    If other people in other races want to look like Asian, let them do it.

January 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

They don't want to look Asian. They want to be able to make fun of Asian people–and they want Asian people to be okay with them doing that. They thank you for bending over and taking it so well– are you also available for parties? I hear they need someone to reenact Bruce Lee and Charlie Chan...

February 9, 2013 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

Asian American...is that like African American but only Asian? Word to the wise, White people do not like it when other races list their ethnicity along with being American. you can be just American or you can be Asian–but you cannot list that you are American of Asian descent–that drives them crazy–or at least it does when blacks do it. LOL

February 9, 2013 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  43. ug

I think it is funny...so who really cares!

January 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mitchell

Though its not anything id care yo waste my time doing its just a silly fun app, .Sometimes we take things way to seriously and we lose focus of the big picture causing real major issues such as discrimination and racism to get bogged down by such minor silly so called offenses.

January 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • r belin

well, now we can rest easy 'cause its all about ug getting her giglgles

January 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Really?

I've been on the Google Campus and most of the workers are Asian... its a joke people, stop "hating" everything. If you are offended then its people like you who offend the world...grow up.

January 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Ken

I'm Chinese-American, and this *really* doesn't bother me.

Well-intended, but overreaching attempts at political correctness in every aspect of life, on other hand, disturb me greatly.

January 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. JamesOnThePotomac

How about a "Make Me Gay" App?

January 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sunflower2

But of course it's okay for Asians to flock to their plastic surgeons to make their eyes more round and remove the hooded lids so they look more Western.... Get a grip people!!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Wow,

I'm Asian and I frankly don't see what the big deal is. I think the App's actually kinda funny. But Sunflower2, your remarks are most definitely offensive to Asians.

January 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • aubrie

Ummm. Chris I think you missed the point being made, and in so doing proved the point of the oversensitivity of Asians... You're funny..... You played right into that one!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Doc

Ermahgerd! Errvrybody is racist! >.<
        I cant tell you how many polish jokes i have to put up with on a daily basis, learn to let it go! Sheesh

January 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary L

Yes, or they should have an app that says make me American–and it makes you into an obese person with a sweatshirt, sneakers, and a big gulp.

January 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • madihwa

Once more, they don't do it too look more western. They do it to look prettier. Do you really think it makes them look more like a white person? Does it alter their skin tone? Does it alter their bone structure? Such nonsense! Also, there's a second reason, as Asians age, well, as we all age, the eyelids droop and in Asians this effect is worse. It can often interfere with their eyesight. So, to be proactive some of them get it taken care of when they are young rather than wait until they are old when it will look more unnatural and when an operation will take more of a toll on their health. God, I get tired of explaining this!!!

January 3, 2013 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  48. Shuffler

What does KKK or a hood have to do with being white?
    In your train of thought a black person would have a chain around their neck. That is just dumb.
    This app is available for folks who want to download it and use it. If you are offended then do not contribute to it's popularity. Simply pass on it and download something else. It's not rocket science.
    BTW I do not think any so called "white" folks were offended by the cartoon Peanuts.

January 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Name*johnzzr

Google isn't going to take down an app because people find it offensive due to racial stereotypes. This is in conflict with their entire policy because of the freedom they allow. If we take this one down then in the future what counts as "offensive"? Then they need to start taking down anything that deals with nudity to foul language because someone can argue that's offensive too. People can do what they want and say what they want under certain guidelines just like people do on YouTube, Facebook and anywhere else on the web. So people are unhappy with an app, big deal. Obviously we should tear down every website with offensive material instead of dealing directly with society, the real problem at hand. Ridiculous.

January 2, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • obamanos

the app should say, "make me smart" and then change the person's face to an Asian face...i wonder who would be offended by that?

January 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

This is not just "offensive". Please keep clear the fact that what one person finds offensive another person may not. This app is downright racist and should be removed!

January 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  50. KatC

Well, I had never heard of this, but now that they are making a stink about it, I think I will try it!! Thank you angry Asians for making this a story and letting everyone know about this fantastic app!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • FT

Exactly! That's what it is for, FUN....enjoy you normal person.

January 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JamesOnThePotomac

How about an "App" that make journalists tell the truth in an unbaised and objective manner without the normal lefthand or right spin.

January 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  52. mddong

Everything is within reason until someone gets hurt....

January 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom J

And then it'd be hilarious! :>

January 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  53. MNfree

Make me Scandinavian. Put a Viking helmet on my head and a blonde 'stache. If they make that app I am going to have a meltdown followed by a fit of rage..

Save the air you breathe and conserve the fingertaps on your comp for something that is actually hurtful. When you live in a world that fears to offend at every corner, there honestly will be an absence of creativity.

January 2, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  54. JLG

Asians pay plastic surgeons to look more Caucasian. Should I find that offensive? No, in fact I pity anyone that is that uncomfortable with their own ethnicity.

January 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mason

This is just another effort at separation of races, to make prejudice people feel vindicated in their poor treatment of Asians in particular. Such insulting media reinforces people to lambast and discriminate people of other races, so that they can feel free to be surprised and unwelcoming to every non white person they see–even though they may have been Asian American for ten generations. Just look at how much effort ignorant people take to prove stereotypes. We need to go forward not backward.

January 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  56. copperpenny01

Someone (who is Asian) needs to download this app and do a "before" and "after" picture.

January 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Bob

This is offensive. Make me white, make me black, make me Jewish, make me Muslim...... think about what that would look like.

January 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

I'm Irish, I may have to check out this Irish app. Sounds amusing.

January 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Simple Test

I'm Asian and I am bothered by this and people have a right to voice their objection. A simple test, switch up 'Asian' for 'Black' or 'Hispanic' or 'Jewish.' Say make me Black puts an afro on your head and Air Jordans on your feet. Make me Hispanic puts a Mexican sombrero on your head and a taco in your mouth. And make me Jewish buys you braids, a yamika, and a star of David tattoo on your cheek. I won't even comment on make me 'Gay.' If its offensive and inappropriate to one group, it is to all groups. Google should remove that app, or if they are so bold, why won't they come out with Make me 'Black, Hispanic, Jewish, and Gay!'

January 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I see no problem with the app...if anything, it lets everyone know who is a f'ktard...I think the world would be better if the racists advertised so you could fire them, avoid them, prevent your kids from associating with them, etc...

January 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

I'm Korean and I say you are too easily offended. I actually find this flattering

January 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

jJewish is a religion.. I don't think it works the same.

January 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Drew

Wrong, Jews have common physical features big noses. We all know that.

January 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • FT

They are not discriminating. Religion is the same class as Race.

January 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • r belin

so religion and race are the same, okay, thats why being white is racist in and of itself, being black is just too da nm bad and being a muslim is certain death

January 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  59. AM

Rage against something, huh? And my wife is a gorgeous little asian girl and she was laughing hysterically when she made herself, as asian as can be, into a rice hat and fu-manchu. So not everybody is so sensitive as to be an angry asian man. Maybe you should spend some time in your native country and get back to your historical roots and forget the hate. My wife's a lover and a laugher and didn't give a hoot about that silly thing. She has better things to do...

January 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • r belin

yeh, like every so often going and standing on a corner like in the good old days

January 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  60. itsme2

I'm offended that the app doesn't work. I tried it, and the moustache and coolie hat were too small and positioned in the wrong place for the picture of my face. If an Asian like myself wrote the app, it would function properly.

January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

I just wish I had this app back in high school algebra2. I suck at math

January 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

I just wish I had this app back in high school algebra

January 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  61. pocohonta

It is not fun or funny! Google needs to stop planting seeds of hatrid to young impressionable minds by saying that it's okay to make fun of other ethnicities, because it will later revolve into hate crimes that could have been prevented.

January 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RC Roeder

Google, Apple and Microsoft are out to make money. If the app does not infringe on their code of conduct they give to the app developers, then their hands are tied. I would suggest aiming ther remarks at the developer.

January 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poor Baby

Awww, everybody wants to be a victim. Everyone has to find some way to be offended so they have SOMETHING to complain about. You don't like it? DON'T USE OR PROMOTE IT. Is it in poor taste? Perhaps. Am I tired of hearing everyone come off as a victim over piddly tish like this? DEFINITELY.

January 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. palintwit

We got a lot of snow here where I live. And snow makes me think about Alaska. And every time I think about Alaska, I think about Sarah Palin. And every time I think about Sarah Palin, I think about trailer trash. And every time I think about trailer trash, I think about the tea party. And every time I think abut the tea party, I think about nascar. And every time I think about nascar, I think about assault weapons. And every time I think about assault weapons, I think about Sarah Palin. And every time I think about Sarah Palin, I think about trailer trash. And every time I think about trailer trash, I think about the tea party. And every time I think about the tea party, I think about...

January 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak from LA

My friend you are thinking too much about Palin....

January 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ANNIER

LOL....LOL.....

January 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  63. palintwit

How about a "Lobotomize Me and Make Me Into a Tea Party Patriot" app.

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Or better yet, "Make Me an Obama voter".

January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • InGodWeThrust

uuh...cuz there's no need for it? It's already 4 more years. Sorry, too soon?

January 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  64. karl

Two Wongs Can Make it a White.

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

lmao you're goin to hell

January 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • InGodWeThrust

Hahaha! Evir Kar going to Herr!!

January 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  65. alicats

I'm sorry, dmanero, but I can't disagree more. Political correctness has nothing to do with it. I'm as caucasian as they come and find the use of stereo types to represent any race/ethnicity is extremely offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then you don’t know what Political Correctness means.

January 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Darryl

Everything is offensive to someone, somewhere.

How about we make 2013 the year of the decline of walking on egg shells for fear someone is going to say they are offended. OK, be offended and shush up and move on with life! Did they touch you, did they threaten you, did they rob you ...... no, get over it and move on!!!!

This politically correct society has gotten soooo out of hand that it is beyond moronic!

January 2, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • karl

What is up my nagger! Peace be unto you.

January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I agree enough is enough of walking on egg shells with everyone. It is just an app for fun. If you don't like it then don't download it or use it or talk about or look at it. They are the ones that CHOOSE to be offended. You can choose not to be offended.

January 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amen

Thank you.

January 3, 2013 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  67. Babak from LA

It might sound like fun, but it is also offensive .... I don't control the world, but I have power over what I down load ... I will not down load this app .... Happy New year all.

January 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • InGodWeThrust

I'm offenced by people offended by this app.

January 2, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  68. DoWah

When we elevate Kardashians, Jenners, and Snooki to the heights we've placed them we as a society have NO right to complain about what is offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • maestra730

So, SO true. Well said.

January 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mark

I'm sorry but I'm not a big P.C. guy but this makes sense that it would be offensive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. Until they come with a "make me British" or "make me Italian" application then there is nothing they can say that would convince me that the application was not aimed at making fun of people of specific ethnic origins that were non-European.

January 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak from LA

I am with you Mark ... Common sense!

January 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Common sense should tell you this is just an app and in no way affects you.

January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Babak from LA

sure, this does not effect me in any way, shape or form ... but my Asian friends find it offensive and I do too. Just because it does not bother me, doesn't make it OK.....

January 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The point it.. so what if it’s not "okay”. It’s an app.. grow up and get over it. I’ve only discussed it with one of my Asian friends so far and he laughed out loud. So are you saying your friend’s opinions are more important than mine or my friends? Oh wait.. IT”S JUST AN APP.. it doesn’t matter.

January 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • RyanWI

Did you read the article? The same company already has "make me irish" and "make me russian" apps.

January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • troy

they do.

January 2, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

They have a Irish and Russian one. As well as one for being fat. I don't think they are going after a specific group. I hope google doesn't remove it. If it doesn't violate googles terms then no need for pointless censorship

January 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Drew

Look, it's not like it's Mickey Rooney's character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" or anything.

January 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Anomic Office Drone

It's unfair to call it a "Google app" unless Google made it. The platform is called Android. It's an Android app, so calling it a "Google app" implies Google made it, especially since Google really does make some apps (i.e. GMail, YouTube, Google Maps, etc.). Do you call them Apple apps or iPhone apps?

CNN, please don't assign journalists to stories they don't understand because if the journalist doesn't understand what he or she is covering, the journalist cannot report on it accurately.

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Micah

CNN has some of the worst online journalists I have ever seen. They never know what they are talking about and all they talk about is what they think they know.

January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Get over it

Faux is freaking bad too. Online news just kinda sucks in general.

January 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevintaylor22

Thank you! I tried to explain this in a previous post, but I just got a comment about how wrong I was and how I need to read and listen more. Irresponsible journalism.

January 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anomic Office Drone

It's sad that we live in a world where the most ignorant people are the most certain that they are correct.

January 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Drew

And remember "Cherry Clan" candies, from the company that makes "Lemonheads?" Had a wayyyyyyy politically incorrect character illustration on the box.

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Kuron

I am caucasian and would have no problems with an Asian (or other race) use a "make me a caucasian" app. Geez, people are way too touchy.

January 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Galloway

The Asians do have a "Make Me Caucasian" app. It's called anime and manga.

January 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • aristocrat

Right – because you probably never got teased or harassed for being white or having "Anglo" features. For many Asians who grew up being taunted and harassed for having certain features, I can understand why it would be offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Get over it

Actually when I was 8, I got beat up for being white.

January 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

@Kuron

Same here.
      People really need to stop taking everything so seriously. This is why we have mass shootings. Not because a gun made someone do it but because over sensitive nut jobs don’t know how to cope with life.

January 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Galloway

You confuse stereotypes with reality??? Have you see the pictures? No. Ok.

January 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Drew

Best kind.

January 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  76. boozo

What if you're Asian and want to use this app? I wonder who that would turn out.

January 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Galloway

It turn Asians into stereotypical Caucasians. Just like in anime :0

January 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Galloway

It pleases me that you patronize an American news site like CNN, but "white and black Americans" don't give Flied Lice for any Asian web site. Sounds like you're the ignorant one. 😉

January 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. rufus

It is OK to do this for Asians, but if there was a "make me black" app that embodied certain steroetypes, that would go too far and Al Sharpton would let us know.

January 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get over it

Al Sharpton is annoying. Why watch the hateful man?

January 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • hecep

What a strange and ill-considered post, and one that would only have made any sense at all if Al Sharpton has indeed come out and placed his seal of approval on the Asian app... which he hasn't.

January 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Robert Smith

I won't be offened by any of it. Many people would call me a redneck, I say so what. I don't know them and couldn't care any less about what they think of me.

January 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Solero

MAAAN it is funny!
    😀

January 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Landru

Interesting Nick, in that you are being offensive to combat those you feel are being offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. jay

The most ignorant people on the earth are people who make comments like yours about specific people.

January 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Nick

Hey bud, I'm not East Asian, so I'm not all that offended by your ignorant comment.

Good luck with your economy though! I hear its tanking. Soon those "Asians" will be ruling you!

January 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Adam

... more ignorant than people who say "THESE and THOSE are the most ignorant blah blah blah" ???

January 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Drew

Beat you.

January 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Drew

Or should I say, I can see a ROT of people don't rike this ... what's the main probrem?

January 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Keiko

I'm Asian and don't find this offensive at all. It seems everyone gets their undies in a bind if anything mentions race. People nowadays need to lighten up and not look for offenses where none are intended.

January 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thank you, well said.

January 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Masa

Keiko – did you get made fun of a lot growing up because of your asian looks? Because I did. So, yeah, I find it offensive.

January 2, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fat Man

As children, most of us were teased about something. As adults, most of us have gotten over it.

January 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  88. offensive

EVERYBODY can be offended by EVERYTHING if they pay attention enough.

We live in a free society. You enjoy the freedoms that benefit you but bark at others freedoms????

You can always leave and live somewhere else. boo hoo hooo

What about oldify or the like. There are old folks stereotypes too. What about those?

January 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Hop

I support their being offended and will back the app's removal, if they will back the discontinuation of all Anime because it makes fun of 'anglo' features and is offensive to some.

January 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Anonymous

All these apps just sound stupid–has our society really stooped so low that they have nothing better to do than to sit around making themselves Asian, or fat, or Irish, or whatever? Get lives, people!

January 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The fact that you would even ask such a question implies….yes.

January 2, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jamesdusch

I have a life, i am just not living it right now. i am busy being Asian. For just fi dolla i do for you, you so pretty :o)

January 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  91. dnl

oh please! lighten up people. i really don't think anybody in the US has a sense of humor anymore. everyone gets their feelings hurt if the wind blows in a direction contrary to the direction they wanted.

January 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

I Agree with you.

January 2, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

UNTIL they say something that offends you.... We should be considerate of everyone's feelings. It's just better that way.

January 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  92. jim

This from the country that sells women's underwear in vending machines? Polease....

January 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Geno

And if they did, I bet there would not be an uproar over it.

January 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  94. palintwit

We need to name and shame the makers of this app.

January 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Mo

interesting.. asians protesting racial stereo-typing when they are so good at stereotyping black people.(simply read some of the posts below).. how interesting. to the asians, "how does it feel to be the one stereotyped?"

January 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Canadian

The fact anyone complains about this app is ridiculous. Find real news. The world is too hypersensitive. If someone thinks this app is offensive, you seriously need to grow up. Is it offensive to dress up for Halloween like you're a ninja?

January 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

I bet if it was Make Me Black, you would be up in arms over it and demanding it be removed. Hypocrites.

January 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Not in My App Yard!

"How did this get through" the reporter asks after the quick recap of the story. It got through because it wasn't identified as malicious, isn't violating any age rating (aka nudity or 'adult themes) and is a bit difficult for an algorithm to note as 'potentially offensive' to some people. The great thing about apps is – if people don't buy/download them, they don't become popular. It's not up to Google play to decide what might be offensive (beyond any laws on the subject), it should be up to the audience to rate it low if it's free or request a refund if they paid for it and it's not offering the service or function it was described as providing.

January 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Peter

Double standard.

When Asian Americans speak out, no one cares.

But when African Americans or Jewish Americans are the target, the app is immediately thrown out.

Pathetic.

January 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  99. linda houkim

This is offensive on so many levels.

January 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |