Former troops say time has come for women in combat units
Marines Sgt. Sheena Adams, Lance Cpl. Kristi Baker and Navy Hospital Corpsman Shannon Crowley in Afghanistan in 2010.
January 24th, 2013

Former troops say time has come for women in combat units

By Chelsea J. Carter and Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) - For women who have already seen combat, it is a decision that is well overdue. But for the skeptics, it is a setback that will damage the military.

The Pentagon's reported decision to lift the ban on women in combat units will take time to put into effect, but many former service members are lauding reports that the Defense Department will make the change soon.

"We have an all-volunteer force, and I think that this opens up a pool of folks who could serve in these positions," said Rep. Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran who lost both legs and the use of one arm when her helicopter crew was shot down in 2004. "Any time that we've opened up our military to performance-based service ... we've benefited as a military. This is good for the nation."

The new policy will be implemented over the next three years, and some units may apply for exemptions, a senior defense official told CNN.

FULL STORY
  1. inyan (Eeaa)

I think women should NOT because can they do hand to hand combat vs. a man. No a fance to women

January 26, 2013 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • inyan (Eeaa)

And if they win the fight agians the man they should go on the team CNN awsome Inyan

January 26, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. MikeS

In the future the burden will fall on special forces and SEALS. There will be no big land wars. So I guess if a woman can pass the tests more power to them. But, as a man, I don't want to think about the woman that can keep up in that training.

January 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Throughout history there have been women who have exceld on the battlefield. Not as many can do it but the one's that can are every bit as good if not more. They definitely make great snipers-they don't have testosterone so there hands dont shake like a man's will. All you stone age right wingers need to come into the 21 century.

January 25, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • inyan (Eeaa)

If they can I fight a man it's ok with me hand to hand combat matters it's seem's like it douset but I douse

January 26, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Poltergeist

Sounds like equal opportunity to me. Didn't realize we were hiding them.

January 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |