March 1st, 2013

Magazine sorry for model in blackface

(CNN) -- A French magazine apologizes for using a white model in black face for an editorial called "African Queen."

Filed under: Black in America • History • How we look • Pop culture • Race
  1. Ruby Slippers

So what if they chose this model!!?? She is beautiful and she portrayed the image they sought beautifully; absolutely gorgeous picture. Get a life people! It is a beautiful representation of a woman, black or white!

March 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AniyunweahCherokee

Hey Joshua...i have no problem with people dressing up like my American Indian ancestors....maybe that way they wont forget us. Ya ta heh, Osi yiu Gv geyu...and you better be of native blood making a comment like that.

March 4, 2013 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • AniyunweahCherokee

And meso does not count.

March 4, 2013 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. AniyunweahCherokee

Dave chapelle better say hes sorry for his white face character.

March 4, 2013 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. 6percentPOPULATION

fact checking, it seems that 5-6% of the resident population in France is black, unlike America where the percentage is double. Possibly the author/editor should check to see if the ratio of white to black represents the population before publishing the ratio of some type of scandal – because there is no scandal.

So people of the Black race don't tend to live in France, however, the French build the strongest slave trade routes and profited from the slave trade very handsomely. England tended to be kinder to their slaves and offer a route to buy out their passage more often than the French, who had the reputation for working them to death, literally. It's harsh but true.

March 3, 2013 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
    • AniyunweahCherokee

Where do you think they learned about the slave trade hmmm? The persian empire...the people that invented slavery certianly were not european or white.

March 4, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • AniyunweahCherokee

The Cherokee didnt make good slaves and neither did the irish. We fought our slave masters way too often and apparently we didnt pick the sugar cane fast enough...thats why africans were used to replace us in this country. Yes black folks you werent the only slaves in america. Look at the entire picture or stop talking about it.

March 4, 2013 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ben

Wow this is actually newsworthy? This seems to me to be CNN implicitly passing judgement on what constitutes valid artistic expression. I guess everyone should quietly and mindlessly stay within the safe and established boundaries of political correctness. Not the world I want to live in...

March 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mytwocents

You do not see white people complaining about black women modeling blonde hair. This is petty and ridiculous.

March 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joshua

I agree this is wrong. Now if only we could get people to stop dressing like Native Americans. This indigenous first nations people of this country deserve more respect...

March 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • AniyunweahCherokee

Joshua do you even know how many whites and blacks in this country also share native blood? Even if they are far removed from our ancestors. I have a white friend whos knows more about my people and our culture than I do. If he wants to dress like my greatgramdfathers did, I have no problems with that. He has earned my respect. He taught me more tsalagi than any of my family members. he is even covered in native tattoos.

March 4, 2013 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ben

CNN conspires to judge what is acceptable artistic expression. If you are going to be policing morality, at least title the piece as an op/ed.

March 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marie

Why is this such a big deal??? Is this white woman a "queen"? I doubt it! And I doubt very highly if they had a black woman she would be a "queen"! It's not the embodiment of an "African Queen" that they are embracing...It's the ART!

March 2, 2013 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jana

You mean to tell me there was not ONE BLACK WOMAN that could be found to embody a BLACK QUEEN??? NOT ONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD OF MODELS??? The Black models everywhere ought to be boycotting!!!!

March 1, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |