March 19th, 2013

Backlash against 'Being White in Philly'

(CNN) - Philadelphia Magazine is under fire after publishing a controversial article titled 'Being White in Philly' that discusses bridging the racial gap. Mayor Michael Nutter is considering asking a city panel to formally rebuke the magazine. CNN Anchor Brooke Baldwin talks with a panel about the magazine’s choice to publish the article.

Posted by
Filed under: History • How we live • Race • Where we live
  1. michael allisone

Can we give the racial thing a rest,everytime i turn on cnn, it has always got to do with some kind of racial issue,black,white,hispanic and so and so,you people like to incite racial divides and issues in this country just give it a rest for about a year please.,

April 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bill

If it was Black people talking to black people there would be no backlash.

I think everyone that tries to rebuke racial talk needs to be deported. I am black and I am VERY interested in what white people think. Just like I am interested in what other Black people think. Why is there only one side that we are aloud to discuss? This is why racism will continue. I am beginning to sympathize with white people and I was born poor in Brooklyn.

And that Black lady talking about Rocky? I swear if a white person said "you want to know how it's like being black in NY? Watch a gangsta flick!" There would be so much backlash. Why is she not being berated for this? This would not be tolerated if she were white towards blacks. I swear, I am starting to get really disappointed in my race and its representatives...

April 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • verytiredofthis

What you say makes a lot of sense. I know it will take a while, but racism will only die down quickly if everyone just chills out about the unimportant things and focuses on making sure everyone has the chance to be successful. When I taught school, I noticed that the black students from families that valued education did very well and were often my best students. White and black families who raised their kids to not value education produced children who will be poor for their entire lives. Lets focus on fixing that instead of rebuking a magazine for printing a story.

April 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AniyunweahCherokee

In 86 years the kkk killed 3400 blacks and 1700 whites. Last year 7000 black men died at hands of other black men....joe schmoe white man had nothing to do with that. Theres more white people living below tge poverty line than the total amount of all blacks in america. Why arent they way ahead in the murder statistics?

March 24, 2013 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ian

So when we hear over and over and over again that our country needs a 'dialogue' on race, now we know what it really means....sit back and be lectured, and do NOT say anything that is out of line. Unless you are an African-American or a white liberal, just keep your mouth shut. Ironic that the outrage over this article proves its point.

March 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

We know Ian,it must be so though to be a white male in America.

March 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • AniyunweahCherokee

Crazy horse fought the fed govt, the army, and the british monarcy...we werent driven from our land by joe schmoe white man. We would have slaughtered them, and we did. If you actually think all reds and whites hated each other in this countey youre brainwashed.

March 24, 2013 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
      • WhenIsEnoughEnough

No matter his color, I would suggest your post indicates that you believe it is more difficult for any "non-white" in America. While this seems to go hand-in-hand with the article, I believe you've hit the nail on the head: The discussion on race is neither open or non-biased. You seem to uphold the idea that if one is "white", they are unqualified to discuss racial issues.

April 7, 2013 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ethan

I doubt any of the people interviewed have driven through or been to North Philly any time recently. It's a war zone, an area being destroyed by poverty and drugs. When Mayor Nutter was elected he declared that Philadelphia was a black city, and that he would work for the black community. It is no surprise that whites do not feel safe or accepted in Philadelphia. I feel as afraid as the author of "Being White in Philly" to visit my friends at Temple University. It is good that Philadelphia Magazine is opening a discussion on the racial divide in Philly

March 21, 2013 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

I know all types of white people in Philly,and there not afraid for there lives.

March 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Todd

I can't believe she just said, "Give us one more Rocky movie. That will make all the middle class, white people happy." I am truly, and utterly offended and outraged! I can't believe CNN allowed this racist comment to air. This person should be rebuked. And this EXACTLY what the author was talking about in his article! You can't mention anything about the white race without it being automatically "racist", while other races can say anything, and it's OK. This needs to stop. NOW.

March 20, 2013 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |