Clarence Thomas: 'The elites' had to approve a black president
May 6th, 2013

Clarence Thomas: 'The elites' had to approve a black president

(CNN) – Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, the high court's only African American jurist, opened up recently about his thoughts on race and the White House.

Asked if he ever expected to see an African American president in his lifetime, the conservative justice said he always knew "it would have to be a black president who was approved by the elites and the media, because anybody that they didn't agree with, they would take apart."

"And that will happen with virtually – you pick your person, any black person who says something that is not the prescribed things that they expect from a black person will be picked apart," he said in an April interview at Duquesne Law School in Pittsburgh, which aired on C-SPAN.

FULL STORY
Posted by
Filed under: Ethnicity • Politics • Race • Who we are
  1. lazarus00000

Why is it that black folks ALWAYS play the po ittle me race card? The president WAS elected, but in my humble opinion the threat of being called a racist allowed him to be immune from the type of scrutiny that should have been applied to him.
    Ever since the race quotas have been applied, the professional works seen its share of discriminatory accusations. But since Holder and his boss have ben in office I see another side of racism where White people are being discriminated against with many examples to point out. Number one in my book is the redefinition of a hate crime that applies to all EXCEPT white folks. Apparently the white folks do not qualify for the same protections under the holder definition who is said to be a racist himself.
    All of this is so ironic since if it were not for the support of white folks, the civil rights movement would not have happened, nor would the current president be president.
    Lazarus

May 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. justin bieblet

Lil Wayne for pres...

May 15, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s k james

I look at this man and all I can think about is Coca Cola.

May 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jorge

Any time I hear a heartfelt public comment about education, social matters or politics from a black man all that comes out is victim victim victim anger anger victim. This is the 21st century, and as a minority member I can tell you it's ludicrous to believe that black folks are still America's favorite flavor of whipping boy, folks, drop the chip on your soldier, times have changed and the race card sounds stupid.

May 15, 2013 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. charles maxwell Ibe

I totally agree what Justce Clarence Thomas said concerning the election of president Obama.They couldn,t have elected Obama if he was a core black.no matter the situation Kofi Annan was in the Un and now Obama in the white house,blacks are making progress.

May 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. charles maxwell Ibe

As a black man i love the character of Justice clarence Thomas.He is a great judge and i started appreciating him during his supreme court confirmation hearing.The issue to me is not whether he is right or wrong but why a black sister Anita Hill is pushing to stop this man from having this prestigious job.Honestly i wept for for the black world! Justice Thomas may your days be long. Amen

May 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prisoner9653

There's no "character" in his extremist right stances, and the idea that he should have been supported by a "sister" as he fights constantly AGAINST racial justice and equality is bizarre. Professor Hill told the truth (and was NOT the only one harassed by Thomas) for which she was destroyed, personally and professionally. Meanwhile Thomas, nowhere near qualified for the post, has been among the worst justices in Supreme Court history.

May 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SamB19

He is not only obnoxious and arrogant but also offensive. He is by far the worst justice we have had in the highest court in recent history. I suspect that a number of senators hesitated to vote "nay" in the Senate confirmation for fear of being labeled racist.

May 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Truth girl

This is coming from a black man married to a white woman. It seems that he is playing to the white elites.

May 11, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BrianOC7

WOW. Somebody must not have been watching the closet. Ole' Clarence got out. I am surprised he can even talk. Wait...it's really the Republican Masters talking. Didn't they learn that this won't work from Michael Steele!!!!

May 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RC

Funny coming from a man who plays to the elites of the Republican party.

May 10, 2013 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. RLTJ's

And I am getting a nastier impression of the middle east crises. I am a brown. I am beginning to feel that whoever wins in there will have me at the end of his domino. I am not fighting the Syrians or the Iranians. I am not going to fight Israel either. I am out. I leave it to God himself. :-(

May 9, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • RLTJ's

A black president to push a white agenda is Mr Thomas wanting to say.

May 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • RLTJ's

and by the way, my honest assessment is, Israel needs more credibility and integrity today.

May 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. J_lebowski

I hope Thomas got a nice vacation home out of this deal. The Caribbean is nice but maybe someplace different if you don't want to vacation around other Supreme Court justices

May 8, 2013 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ken Westhassel

Is he telling us - as a government insider - and confirming, that our votes, and elections, are irrelevant, that the wealthy elite are the ones who really choose our candidates and, possibly, our winners?

May 7, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

He works for the wealthy elite. If he and Scalia got there way 99% of us would be forced slaves working for the big corporations.

May 7, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Poltergist

The mortgage and car notes are indentured servitude contracts. You need them to survive and you'll spend you're life working for them and trying to horde enough cash before they dispose of you.

May 9, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Big Shiz

It's the interest that gets you. That's why there should be a 5% interest cap on mortgage's.

May 9, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • necron99

I go by that saying. It not racists when you ask all the blacks to vote on black president but it is when you ask all the whites to vote on a white pres.

May 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |