May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,491 Responses)
  1. jw

I am so used to multi-racial families that this ad makes me feel at home–so normal. We have whites, blacks and asians in our family structure–everyone is mixed, and I grew up with mixed families that came from the military with white and black soldiers marrying brides from Europe and Asia. This type of commercial is LONG OVERDUE!!!

May 31, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 808

Normal in Hawaii......

May 31, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jw

So true. Being mixed with even 12 different nationalities is the norm in Hawaii, and it's all oh-so-beautiful!!

May 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Flakes

When you live in a geographical spaceship, it's only natural you get along. Pay attention world.
        BTW, I miss Don HO.

May 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pblady

Bravo, Cheerios! Families come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, races, religions, et al. Just attend a gathering of my family . . .

May 31, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Weldzilla

Show me one ad in America that shows a white man with a black woman. It is not going to happen. So how bout we not patronize companies that advertise black man / white woman. Before any of you spout off how I am a racist, show me i am wrong. Lets analize why the demographic exists. Are black women being phased out? Show all possibilities.

May 31, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I think you do not understand that this is a step forward. So what if Cheerios only chose to make one version (black man, white woman)? At least they made AN ad with an interracial couple. That is more than can be said for almost all other companies.

May 31, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Person

"Not going to happen"? Earth to bigot: it's already happened. That's what this article is all about.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

Forget about advertising, just look at Loving vs Virgina, a great love story between a white man and a black woman. One of the greatest love stories ever told.

May 31, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam_UT

Weldzilla, did you never watch that little show called 'Lost'? You know, it had a white male and a black female as a couple.

May 31, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Weldzilla

Wow, you showed me! I will never be the same. Now that you have found the 1 in the 1000:1 ratio, try opening your eyes and mind.

June 1, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • annmjsfrenchie

The Ikea commercial with the couple going to bed. They flop on the bed together.

May 31, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Weldzilla

Well done annmjsfrenchie. Now keep watching. You may be sharp enough to see what I am talking about. And about me being a racist, I will easily admit that I am less racist than every black person in this country.

June 1, 2013 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Dejavu65

Hey stupid maybe you don't see more white guys with black women is because maybe they are more worried about what their friends who are racist like you will say...I don't see many white guys even trying to date outside their race most are too consumed with having a woman with blonde hair...!!

June 1, 2013 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Ma'am, this is the other side of this very irrelevant coin with regard to interracial relationships; you cant use your stereotypes as a measure of informed opinion because it is an endless argument about perspective and significance. For example, as a black man, I can offer up my opinion from my experience that most black women swear by the desire to date only black men so the corollary is that it's not society stopping them it's a matter of it being less likely by the choice of black women. True? Why should we care; a loving relationship is the best thing no matter the race.

June 1, 2013 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
    • legumepod

Several in my community/church. One has been married over 52 years and have been through it all when racistis like youself gave them a hard time.

June 1, 2013 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • VladT

What about the married couple from "The Jeffersons?"

June 1, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rat Bazturd

What the vile comments point out, is that clearly, despite all the apologists' naysaying, racism is still alive and strong in America. They can claim it doesn't exist anymore, but they are wrong. The struggle is not over yet.

I believe their numbers are decreasing, as the older folks die off, but there are still a significant number of racists out there.

May 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Sad,y, I think you are wrong. Racism is on the increase, as more and more extremist views are presented as 'reasonable' or 'normal'. State of the art propaganda research has shown that a well crafted PR campaign can – fairly quickly – change the views of a significant portion of the viewership. This has been used by crafty political groups to alter the framework of the national discussions on race.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • bannister

Crafty political groups who use propaganda to shape the national conversation on race?

You mean the Jews?

June 1, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

Actually, bannister, I would use your post as a validation of my point that racism is indeed in the rise and that people are far more comfortable believing and posting about their prejudices than a generation ago...

June 1, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • wut

the statement "More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon" actually has sociological evidence behind it whether the respondent was aware of it or not. Unfortunate, but valid.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Actually, wut, that trend is hopefully reversing itself. There was indeed a generation where black fathers were significantly more absent from families than their peers, but that has changed a lot in the last ten or so years.

Regardless, it would not apply to the family in this commercial – the absent father syndrome occurred primarily due to economic stresses and incarceration rates. The family in this commercial is clearly economically comfortable – as evident by their house, their clothes and their lifestyle – and the dad is clearly not in jail or involved in criminal activity.

Note: in no way do I mean to imply that black men leave their families in general – most of my daughter's friends are from interracial families that struggle financially, and none of the fathers are absent – but the statistics from the 1970s through the late 1990s are very dramatic. Hopefully the trend is over.

June 1, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. pauleky

Let the haters hate. Carry on, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. d0gdre8mz

i don't like it. doesn't matter to me "what everybody else is doing."

May 31, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. silencedogood

I'm in an interracial family and am the proud father of bi-racial sons. That said, we will be raising them as Americans, not hyphenated americans. Nor do we need a commercial, or anyone else for that matter, to validate our love or family. Its always nice to see others like us, but frankly I could care less. If people like us, cool. If they don't that's their problem that they can't be happy in their own life and I couldn't care less about their opinion.

May 31, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fiona

When I saw this commercial I didn't even notice the racial mix. That "family" is normal for my community.

May 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. memememe27

awww...that little girl is adorable!

May 31, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LEE

I saw this commercial today for the first time and did not know of the furer it was causing. My first thoughts were "what a cute little girl" Then when I saw her father I rewound it just to see if, in fact, the woman she was speaking to she called "Mom". After that I thought, what a great ad !!! Showing something different then your white bread American family. Applause to General Mills....I think it's grrrrrrrrrreat !! : )

May 31, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Really?! My first thought was "what a hot mom!" Then immediately, what is that little terrorist up to? Race was besides the point because I laughed out loud when daddy woke up with Cheerios over his heart.

June 1, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. HenryMiller

Optiob two: much ado about nothing.

May 31, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. porttack

Long over due. Every family in America should have at least one bi-racial member. Harder to hate when your family is racial integrated. Bi-racial families can only make America stronger, wiser, and more compassionate.

May 31, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get it right.

That doesn't work. My cousin got knocked up and had a bi-racial baby. She hasn't been invited to a family get together since. It has been 5 years. Only two family members have talked to her. And, she is broke, and he is gone and not supporting the kid, as is normal.

May 31, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chris

You've just shown that your family is just as bad as the guy who left her.

May 31, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mirror1

would actually be laughable if not so sad. "she hasn't been invited to a family get together since". Here's a thought – ask the "family" to pretend to be human. It's all it really takes

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Fred Evil

Wow, and you think the guy who ISN'T related her is the jerk?
        Methinks this is just a story to bash black people. That way you're just a racist, instead of a complete AH AND a racist.

June 1, 2013 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
      • legumepod

And why aren't you visiting your cousin? Are you too busy gossiping or are you there helping this poor soul? There are at least 3 multiracial couples at my church, one of them has 5 beautiful children and another 4. Perhaps in your world "it doesn't work that way" but in reality it does...all the time.

June 1, 2013 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

I would point out how awful your family has been towards one of their own, it others have beaten me to it. If you are old enough to type on a computer, you are old enough to make a change in how your family treats her.

Take it upon yourself to visit her if possible. If she is too far away or you are otherwise unable (for example if you are in junior high school and cannot go into the big city by yourself) then you can write her a letter, or a card. Show her that somebody actually cares. Maybe you will cause a rift in your family – but if you live in a family that thinks it is okay to ostracize someone for having a bi-racial baby then it that discussion is LONG overdue.

You cannot control whether the rest of your family are racist jerks, but you CAN control your own actions. It is possible that you might help make a change for the better in your family – but even if that does not happen, doing what you know is right will make YOU a stronger, better person.

June 1, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
      • sanityrules

This exact thing also happened in my family. The girl was not ostracized at all. I think she still feels a little awkward, and it is a little weird at family reunions. None of us ever met the baby daddy. She was young , fell for this cool black dude, got pregnant and that was it. She says he was loser.

It seems to me young white girls love showing how progressive they are by dating cool black guys. It's like a status thing among their circle of friends.

I didn't mind the commercial at all. In fact I didn't even notice the multi-racial component at all. However, I have to wonder why the media always shows a Black man with a white woman and never vice versa.

June 4, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Disect-It

Whenever there is an ad on TV with whites and blacks they always portray the black giving advice and wisdom to the white.

May 31, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • PC=No Common Sense

LOL!!!! you are right!! I thought I was the only one noticing that.. And we all know based on statistics that whites/asians have invented everything meaningful in the world. Also look at the non arab sections of Africa and npn White assisted South Africa... How far has the rest actually advanced? A good reflection on blacks as a whole, but you could look at Detroit too as example. They just want to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Let's face it

June 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe5

When two races combine genetically, black genetics dominate. I will say the little girl in the commercial is a cute little girl.

June 19, 2013 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • ATLdoogie

You're exactly right, I've noticed it too. The white guy is always the dummy.

June 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe5

I'll go a little further then that. If you watch much TV and the prolific commercials they have, you'll notice that they make white males look or act the dumbest. A black of either gender or a white female is always giving a white male advice. It's no doubt biased. And the trend seems to be a black male paired with a white female. What's going on here?
      One more thing. I just retired from a major airline maintenance base so I was exposed many employee's of a very diverse workforce. My spouse of over forty years has Mexican roots and is bilingual. What I noticed in those thirty years of work was that although many of us were married to other races....not one was married or dated a black lady. Going to restaurants and public places it's not uncommon to see the opposite. It begs a question.

June 19, 2013 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Eric

Can't we all just get along. I think more than half of my FB friends are multi-racial. lol. Being a Filipino, my multi-racialness is integrated. lol.

May 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Thomas Greteman

It is much ado about nothing as far as a mixed couple in an advertisement I say, so what!. What IS much ado about something is that we've come a long way in a short time. I wholeheartedly applaud and support this ad!

May 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Chrisjd1965

It is really sad. When I saw this commercial I said to myself isn't that cute. Thats it no thought of the color of anyone in it. It is cute.....nothing more nothing less when will we all just see each other as people....

May 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chaz

I'm so puzzled by CNN's posting of this story. What's the purpose of it? Is this to prove how not racist you are? Or, is it to bait Fox News into replying? This is a non-story that was specifically written to give suburban whites the feel-good outlet to share just how inclusionary they are when they chat with the others as they drop off junior at the parochial school in their BMW X5.

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. 5giggy5

Trafficing Humans in Europe is awful, and people who live in the Applalachias of America don't graduate at all from high schools, yet those issues don't define the average white American. So, from a family of educated African American people with many friends who crossed over that theshold your argument of inferiorities don't hold up in the general population of the haves and the have not'.

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mary

The diversity that is represented in this country is one of the great things about this country. So why shouldn't that diversity be represented in our commercials as well? Our families come in so many different shapes and sizes. Just because something is different from your normal doesn't make it wrong or bad. I didn't give this commercial a second thought until I saw the article and read the comments that were posted below it. It is a shame that there are still so many people who are so narrow minded. Why couldn't this just be commercial about a cute little girl looking out for her dad's well being?

May 31, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. 5giggy5

About time we start getting busy talking and dialoging race in this country. America is diversed and becoming more and the only people who are left out are the ones who can't find someone to relate to who is not of the same nationality or is not a family member. but will come to past. Bot I'm happy to see a story that digest the nature of humans and causes.

May 31, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Captain

I don't like it and don't think the media should shove this type of propaganda down our throats. I don't care what people do, and they have they right to do it. I also have the right to not like it. I won't buy their product anymore.

May 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Minerva from Los Angeles

Little girl is too cute!! Lovely ad, showing typical family. SO VERY NICE TO SEE INTERRACIAL COUPLE, MIXED ETHNIC CHILD, AND NORMAL LOVING FAMILY RELATIONS! HURRAY FOR THE USA!!! This Ad should be an example of what we SHOULD SEE moving forward in time. It made me very happy to see this! Cute too!

May 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • PC=No Common Sense

How about just hiring the best person for the job that gave the best interview without cherry picking? God I wish I could murder all the HR people in the world.

June 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  24. aaron

Much ado about nothing. The actors in the ad are just people like the rest of us.

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Flyforawhiteguy

Yeah, I just spoke with the Black Guerillas and Black Panther Party and they are planning a coup to marry every white woman they find with the hope of destroying all white people. Get it together and come out from the rock you've been under.

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dave

Black folks ought to be upset because the Cheerios people stereotypically chose to have the child use ppor grammar – "Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?"

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarsumm

it's called Ebonics, idiot. And it's a language. Just as much as anyone else's.

May 31, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mirror1

the grammar's correct; no such thing as ebonics – just bad grammar!!

June 1, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Ebonics is an excuse to enable language mediocrity and deficiency.

June 3, 2013 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • ChiefPete

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any grammar issues in the little girl's statement.

May 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • 5giggy5

Not at all, we are proud of our different ways and respect others do be a versitle. That is really one of the main reasons white woman marry black men because of their compassion.

May 31, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Compassion? They act like arrogant tough-guy thugs who think everything should come their way.

June 3, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • neko

That actually was a typo good sir. It you actually watch and listen the video, you will hear the little girl say it correctly. Thank you

May 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erasmus

The girls like five years old Dave, some slack please! And as for "PPOR" grammar, should of used a Cheeri"O" instead of a "P", LOL.

May 31, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Karl Marx

People need to realize, this could lead to fruit loops and even cocoa pebbles !

May 31, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

You should thank your Lucky Charms.

May 31, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gmoney

very nice 😉

May 31, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mark Mu

If Cheerios really wanted to portray a black/white couple, it should have gone against stereotype and featured a white male and black female. Black men / white women unions reinforce a host of negative stereotypes both inter and intra-racially, and between black men and black women.

May 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gmoney

Oh you're really asking for trouble now 🙂

May 31, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaq

I'm a white male married to a black female, (19 years, 3 daughters). I don't get that our marriage is against any "interracial stereotype". Our girls are all achievers. I don't care what people in commercials look like. They're just selling stuff. I don't get the newsworthiness of this. Just trying to stir up some fake controversy to make some news, since news outlets don't seem to know what their job is these days.

May 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • gemno

Agreed. For some reason the WF/BM combo appears trendy at the moment and is appearing everywhere .. even news crews. Does that somehow make them diverse? Nothing new .. just a new twist on stereotyping. If they really wanted to do something different how about WF/AM or AF/BM? Making new generalizations isn't cool .. it's just a new kind of sick .. especially when used for some shock and awe viral marketing by a "traditional" large corporate marketing group. That's probably one of the reasons folks are getting upset. I know I don't appreciate it.

June 2, 2013 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  29. GonzoG

I'd hoped we were past this kind of crappola. SCOTUS struck down the misogyny laws in 1967. Very good year. Almost as old as I am. That's 46 years.

Give it 10 years for the real jerks to realize they lost and shall not "rise again".
    and a generation for the old bastages that wrote the old law to die off.

This should have NO LONGER MATTERED a long time ago.
    DNA science has proven that there is more genetic variation between two neighbors than two races.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RACE-WE ARE HUMAN!

May 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • GonzoG

And the little girl is ADORABLE!

May 31, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mountainlady

Good post. Anyone having a cow about this ad must not get out much. Mixed race families are everywhere and they make the most gorgeous children. DNA science has proven that "race" does not exist. The comments from people objecting to this tell us that too many folks are trapped in the 1950's and are ignorant as well.

May 31, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gmoney

Hear, hear

May 31, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Constant reader

Actually, this ad could reflect the family of Associate Justice Clarence Thomas and his wife Virginia (if they had had children).

May 31, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

Oh aren't you just so clever with your most pathetically ridiculous politicizing post of pointlessness.

May 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  31. KellyDFW

Seen the commercial a few times, didn't notice it was a mixed family until I saw the article. Good for GM, people are people.

May 31, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Rdrago

The comments here on CNN appear much more positive/civil than the ones on other news sites. The WashPost site's comments are filled with some pretty hateful comments and some very subtle/hidden racist comments, including ignorant comments equating Republicans/Conservatives with racists.

May 31, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Terry

You are all wrong. They wanted to put a cute kid in the ad. Mixed kids tend to be cute (yes, my opinion). So, they needed to have a mixed couple as "Mom and Dad." Given the history of slavery in the USA, the last thing they wanted to show was a Black woman and a White man (too much "slave master" imagery). It is safer to show a Black man and a White woman. (me: White man, wife: Black, kids: mixed and really beautiful)

May 31, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LouAZ

Everyone has this all wrong. Look at the Mommie. She is clearly an alien from the planet Venus. We have been incaded and are doomed ! But General Mills doesn't care. They will sell Cheerios to any creature with money. Oh, the horror !

May 31, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Thinkergal

I will buy enough to make up for you.

May 31, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Thinkergal

I noticed the commercial the first time I saw it and thought,"How wonderful." Children are children, and families are families, no matter what their makeup. I'm going buy some Cheerios tomorrow. The day will come when this is no longer an issue about which we need even comment.

May 31, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • RTW

I bought more Cheerios than usual after seeing this. It's about time that real families are shown on TV. Shame on the petty, closed-minded, archaic people who find fault with reality. What year is this anyway? Geez!

May 31, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sherry

Bribarian, at first glance I thought your name was Barbarian! I don't think Cheerios cares whether you buy a box of their cereal or not. Thank goodness you don't represent most people responding to the Cheerios commercial. You are going to be a very unhappy person, times are changing and multi-racial families have been around for a long time. Get use to it, because it's not going away!!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  38. The Watch Dog

Steve you are the imbecile of all imbeciles. That's exactly what this ad tries to promote. Marriage relations between black man and white woman and its wrong wrong wrong. If you want to promote this, then you must also include other races as well. Promote white man and black woman, or Asian man and black woman, or Hispanic man and black woman, etc. We always see the black man with other 'non-black' woman in ads, movies, etc.
    Why can't they promote equally all other races?

May 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. S

I have an interracial marriage: I'm African-American and my husband is Caucasian. We were just saying that we are noticing more interracial couples on TV and in real life. I was teased a lot by family members about the fact I dating both inside and outside my race. My husband's mother did not agree with him dating someone outside his race, but that was her problem. I always amazes at me how ignorant some people can be.

May 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

I meant 'It always amazes me.......'

May 31, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Runnner

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I really like the fact that the parents are married (he is wearing a wedding ring!)

May 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • jayleerz

I agree!

May 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ray Flournoy

If the Husband was White and the Wife was Black, White men (the people most offended) wouldn't give it a second thought. I mean, think about all those White slave owners who slept with Black women. No problem there.

May 31, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mr. Postman

At the same time, this ad is very cautious. The black man and the white woman are not even in the same room. Every Cheerios commercial I've ever seen about "heart health" features the married couple together. Could you imagine the uproar if it showed them... hugging?!

May 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ricky

Certainly a conscious effort on the Cheerios brand to make a step towards progress, but I'm sure if you were to post a lineup of the CEO, President, Vice President, Directors, and so forth (of General Mills) you would find disproportionately in-equal numbers of whites in comparison to black people. Ideally it's a stance on what society should be like, but realistically it's a marketing tactic to bring in more revenue. If this ad didn't make dollars and cents, it wouldn't have been produced. Sounds negative, but it there's a 99% chance the faces behind this commercial were Romney supporters. If equality sells than they'll pitch it, but if they had their choice they would make their money in accordance with their own private beliefs.

May 31, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Gary

The scary thing is that all these ignorant racists continue to breed.....

May 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. BD70

About time.

May 31, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Doug

Having been part of an interracial marriage for nearly 30 years, I can happily say that there is almost no adverse reaction these days, although it was a bit more of an issue in the early 80's.

I remember being called names that made no sense at all, being told things that were obviously based on pure ignorance... mostly from my dad (who eventually came around), but also by otherwise "sane" and "logical" people.

For the most part, the people that tend to overreact seem like they feel threatened and insecure, living in a world that is so flimsy that anything "new" might instantly make it crumble apart.

In this context, I believe the original threat of an interracial marriage was in large part based on political expedience, and the Church had a vested interest in maintaining that threat in the public's eye. With no direct connection, much of this is owed to the way many religions have brainwashed the masses in an effort to control behavior through simple directives rather than educate them on deeper topics like morality and responsibility.

This isn't the case with all religions, but the net effect is that while I still believe in God, my faith in religion has been replaced with more of a "Billy Joel" philosophy (coming from his "shades of grey" lyrics: "the only people I fear, are those who never have doubts, save my soul from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for, I won't be rightous again, I'm not that sure any more").

It starts out innocently enough, with simple examples taken from Bible versus (in the case of Christianity). These lessons becomes rules that are treated as absolute truths. We are told to believe in these immutable truths based on parables that are often out of context. Instead of focussing on the bigger issue or the importance of treating each other with respect, we end up being taught that some people should be hated for what they do/don't do/are/are not. The Bible tries to teach us to love the sinner while hating the sin, but religion steps in and (implicity) tells us that God hates us for this or that reason, or other silly things like it's a good idea to force people to do "the right thing" (hypocritically usurpping God's will and denying people the rewards/responsibility for doing the right/wrong thing).

It all boils down to divisiveness, although there are a lot of dots to connect to get there. We want to feel like we're in the "better" crowd, and we'll do all the wrong things to ensure that others know it or that our friends agree with it. If you drop that "need" to be better than your neighbor, you have much more room to find love for those around you. When you worry more about what God thinks of you than what you think of another, then it becomes clear that doing the right thing comes naturally, and nobody needs to tell you that it's right or wrong.

I'm not saying that all bigotry is manifested from the side effects of religion, but the correllation is strong in the thought processes of people that believe "because of their belief" rather than because they have reasoned it out (meaning: bigotry is born of ignorance, and that organized religion fosters an environment of ignorance by teaching people to rely on the moral guidance of another rather than developing their own personal moral authority). I'm also not saying that all religion acts to do this intentionally – religion does serve God's needs, albeit with occasional side effects.

Bottom line: go ahead and hate me, it only hurts you in the end.

May 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Glenda

If this is the worst thing we ever see, we got it made! What a cute little girl.

May 31, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  48. rasko41

If it hurts the feelings of bigots, it's a good ad.

May 31, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mark J. Semer

Thank you Cheerios for bringing us back to the real world. Mixed race marriages are the real world. Again, thank you.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. I Am God

Wow. Racists are the worst people in the United States. What is funny is when they make a racist statement and then claim it wasn't racist and they are only speaking truth. Talk about not getting a proper education.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Narchais

Agreed. People with an opinion based on the race of another individual is far worse than murderers, rapists, pedophiles, thieves, and terrorists. You've really put things in perspective for me. You can kill me, pillage my body, steal every possession I own, take my children, and destroy everything I've ever loved but please, PLEASE don't have an opinion. I don't think I could handle that.

May 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • GeneRipper, PhD

You speak as if "racist" and "true" are mutually exclusive. They are not. Many well-documented facts of human biology and evolution are considered racist because they do not fit the egalitarian narrative that many wish to believe in.

Racial realists, many of whom are scientists who simply refuse to distort truth for political correctness, are generally very well educated, likely better than you are.

People keep talking about "racists" needing to "do some research" need to take their own advice and look up the numerous scientific studies about race and IQ, for example. If you don't know these differences ARE a fact and are largely genetically-based differences resulting from evolutionary pressures acting on early geographically-divergent human population groups, then it is you who are in need of education.

May 31, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Black Dude

I prefer black women. It's what I like. I also usually only date black women...it's what I like. I don't actively exclude other types of women, i just tend to gravitate toward the loveliness of ebony. Would i date or marry someone of a different race....sure. And i have!
    Who cares who you date, marry or screw...it's what you like and frankly none of my business nor do I care to make it my business. I have an idea! Just live your life and respect the lives that others choose to live. It's pretty simple.
    Many try to make the personal lives and choices of others their concern, especially when no harm is done. I just wonder if these type of people are reflecting their poorly expressed opinions about the lives others lead in a desperate attempt to understand or find a life of their own to lead. At the end of the day, it's simply a commercial designed to get a target audience to part with hard earned money for products they may or may not need....it's not some grand statement about the universe and its beginnings....it's simply a commercial that features a traditional family, a man, a woman, and a child. It's your own insecurities that cause you to focus on the elementary. Get over it...because you cannot stop human nature. Have a great weekend and hopefully the haters run into all manner of interracial love. Ha!

May 31, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doodlebug2222

Ummm... this reminds me of a stage where this guy borrowed the mic for a few minutes... but yes, it was very nice learning about what you personally like and do not like but .. *tap tap* topic please?

I think it was a very cute commercial and showed what a typical family can be. It is not in any way saying "black men marry white women" – it only happens to be a commerical with black and white parents.

Btw... if you were blind > you would of never noticed.. so.. why do we have to make issues where none exist?

May 31, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Black Dude

Agreed. And we'll said.

Topic: It simply doesn't matter who you chose.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Buddha

I loved it! Funny and smart. Would never have thought about the mixed race part uf I'd seen it before I read this.

May 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mrs. P

I not worried about the interracial part – I'm worried about people thinking Cheetos are good for your heart!!!

May 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Regina

This is the first commercial I have ever seen with an actual mixed race FAMILY! I was thrilled. Everyone in America needs representation in media.

May 31, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Rick

It's long overdue and SHOULD be much to do about nothing.

May 31, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. stanhope

Thank you Cheerios! It's about time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. junieswife

The Cheerios commerical is decades overdue. Thank you General Mills.

May 31, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Malory Archer

Would those who were offended have a problem if the commercial featured a Caucasian male and Asian female (or vice versa) and their biracial child? I'm thinking "no".

May 31, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. hstyles

From what I know of the commercial about which I’ve only read but not seen, I don't have a problem with it. However, to sidestep temporarily the biracial family on TV question, as an adult black male I'd like to see more wholesome images of medium to dark-skinned blacks, male and female, portrayed in the mass media, including TV. Why is it, I’ve often wondered, that the black person so often and prominently portrayed in commercials and other mass media almost invariably happens to be light skinned—like the biracial girl? Accident? I don't think so. Do dark skinned African Americans not exist in the eyes of mass media marketers? In their myopic world view are dark-skinned blacks unimportant, inconsequential—a trivial matter? Or, could it be more not-so-subtle proof that racism is still alive and well in America? I think the curiously mixed response to the biracial family in a TV commercial answers that question. Perhaps the Cheerios commercial will spark a REAL discussion about race relations in America, one that most people, unfortunately, would much rather sweep under the proverbial rug than face head on. If it does, then maybe, just maybe, Cheerios rightfully deserves to be called the "Breakfast of Champions."

May 31, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • JS

I agree with you on the issues on nonrepresentation. i'm white and I notice this everytime I turn on my television. I believe darker skinned people should be seen on television not only in commercials but also in shows. Often when there is a darker skinned person on television it is a man, but is usually accompanied by a much lighter skinned african american woman. When I'm watching T.V. with my friends they seem to think that it is normal. They also believe that I am being extreme when I point this out.

May 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Doodlebug2222

I am Native American Indian – so yes, I 100% understand about lack of positive representation. I watch a show on Netflix (Fringe) and the lead has one of the most stunning face I have seen. Carved with strong elegance, and an attitude that fits perfectly (quiet strength). The darkness of his skin adds so much to his features.

All races – have such amazing variations in their skin tones, structures, facial features and each are so unique and beautiful. I can't understand why only some are deemed suitable for the camera or etc... Really – some of the most lovelly faces I have seen – was not about perfect this or that – but was moreso the character of the person that shown though – and how they held themself.

May 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alsutton

I've often wondered this too, and thought it was something specific to this country. But recently I was reading something about the phenomenon, and it literally happens everywhere. Light skinned Africans discriminate against dark-skinned ones, Brazilians only put light skinned citizens on T.V., the Middle East has the same issue with lighter versus darker skinned people, and on and on. I truly think that it is human nature to do that for some reason. Does it make sense? No, but for whatever reason, that appears to be the way it is everywhere.

May 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dangermouse

It's not some kind of innate human nature, but an effect of European colonialism, when the ruling class in these places was made up of Europeans and their white or multiracial children — Portugal colonized Brazil, England colonized India, Spain and then the U.S. colonized the Philippines. At one point, almost the entire continent of Africa was colonized by various European countries (Germany, Belgium, England, the Netherlands, France, etc.) In those places, light and white skin became associated with status and political or social power, and that has trickled down to today.

May 31, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • edddale

iThe response about the European colonization explains it, Well done.

June 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  60. DP

Great ad. Bravo to Cheerios ad dept. for being color blind.

May 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kam

Great Job! Love the commercial i wish more companies would take the step Cheerios did! Awesome!

May 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Dan

If one has worked with military families over the past few decades, inter-racial couples are old news. Military members have been much more open to respecting people from a variety of backgrounds, races, ethnicity, whatever than the general public in the US for a long time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. A Believer

Long overdue and most welcomed. I applaud you General Mills, don't let dullards and naysayers dissuade you.

May 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. sethwh

Cheerios has comments disabled on this YouTube video... wow.

May 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • manhandler1

Don't blame them for disabling comments. All news sites should disable comments sections, especially CNN. Hate to say it, but Fox News is the only one to abolish the disgrace known as comments and good for them. Because these sections are mainly populated by lowlifes and trash who have nothing to say except to preach hate....to each other and to whomever else they choose. I would be more than willing to give it up if it were axed.

May 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jim

My own family is mixed race. I'm the white guy and I feel like the minority, we joke about it. But the letter writer in the article...what wimp. This Cheerios ad is not the "modern family structure". Black and white families have been done before the 21st century, you know. What my wife and I hate, even though we're a mixed race family and have three major religions. All this diversity garbage is ridiculous. Don't PUSH "diversity". If it happens, it happens. One thing I did hate about a Cheerios ad was one all in Spanish. Made me very angry. Show it in Mexico, not here.

May 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

Advertisers have tough choices to make when they have as huge a target population as Cheerios. Ads are all about making folks feel good about and connected to a product so that they will buy it, preferably with loyalty. And people respond in passionately emotional ways to things that are irrelevant to the product– such as the nature of the family shown enjoying that product or the language and words they use. I wonder why we are so easily manipulated by our emotional prejudices to be inclined or disinclined to feel good about &/or purchase products that have nothing to do with those emotional triggers. Aren't we humans a funny critter!?

May 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  66. John

This is not news. I'm pretty sure you can find comments that have "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " on every single video on youtube.

May 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod C. Venger

Sad but true. The people claiming to have tolerance have little tolerance for opposing opinions, as if only they can be right. People are entitled to their opinions and have the right to express them as they see fit. To turn around and call someone a "Troglodyte" merely for being crude and of a different opinion merely highlights the narrow-mindedness of the speaker. I'd have to say that two narrow-minded people may not have a full brain between them.

May 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alsutton

True – Godwin's Law wouldn't exist if that was not the case.

May 31, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Chuck88888

The only "people" upset over the multi-ethnic family potrayed in this commerical are internet trolls – who don't really care other than to generate angry responses. Heck, maybe some of the trolls are "astro-turfed" by General Mills to generate buzz for their commerical.

May 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. topcat

make another commercial with a white dad and a black mom.

May 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck88888

Or, pay all the families of "Sister Wives" to appear in a commerical endorsing Cherrios.

May 31, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. nvmature

"Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America." You already said it best.

May 31, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Bill

The leader of the free world is half white? Funny, he certainly doesn't seem to want to be identified by that fact. Only bigots of all races are concerned with race.

May 31, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Me, sitting watching TV with my own mixed-race kids, often think about how the media...all of it...only identify Obama as being black. So many of his more famous supporters (read: Hollywood) also say he's black. Hmmm. Abandoned by his black African father, raised by his white American mother and white grandparents...yet he's black. Hmmm. Oh, yeah, of course that's right.

May 31, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Eric Buchman

@Jim: Looks like you've got a bit of a confirmation bias. By and large, Obama's supporters are far more willing to point out his mixed heritage than his detractors, as his detractors are the ones who are most likely to use his African-heritage against him. (Just watch Glenn Beck's "assertion" that Obama has a war against white people and you'll see what I mean)

May 31, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • maria

Okay! Obama father was black his mother was white ,raised by white grandparents....is Obama white? NOT !!!! is Obama black? yes why? because he looks and has the same father skin color, if he looks like his mother the same color he would be white Obama would be white ....get the point my dear? not racism here, just common sense ....

June 3, 2013 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Some guy

To be fair he was born and raised in a country and time period that would never have accepted him calling himself white and was black to the rest of the world the second he was born. So why should he now do it?

May 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bill

Hope and Change perhaps?

May 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Shreddies

Congratulations Cheerios on a great troll video. All this extra attention will increase your sales exponentially. Post needs to step up its game.

May 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. anothermuse

I thought that was funny as well. The surprising thing is this thread isn't the usual cesspool.

May 31, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Toronto

Really!! there is nothing else to talk about. Here is a thought? For your next new year's resolution or not. Travel beyond your borders. Then you will realize, this is not an issue, at least for most parts of the world.

May 31, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Michael

Bravo!

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Carrick

That's funny... I had seen the commercial, but I didn't even notice that kid had a different skin pigment until I saw this story.

I'm around enough interracial couples I don't even think anything about it any more.

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Some guy

Thats why people want to push for diversity, so that eventually you just stop noticing and if enough people stop noticing racism and sexism etc disappear and become antiquated

May 31, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  76. DBSaint

Now that would have really sparked conversation!

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. LeeAnn

I have to be honest....I've seen this commercial before and it never really hit me that it was a multiracial family...I was to busy laughing at the father with a shirt full of cheerios...

May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. sc

I am married to a man from an interracial background and my maternal grandparents were Catholic and Jewish.

The people who are appalled by interracial relationships should be appealled when they look in the mirror.

You go, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. johneturnerii

The problem with this commercial is that it promotes the idea that processed crap is good for you.

May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  80. johneturnerii

I am still laughing

May 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Farrok

Nature sees neither Race nor Color............................

May 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • DBSaint

Again, I'm fine with the ad, but this is poor commment. Nature is all about color and perception.

May 31, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sly Cooper

Shhh, don't tell him about how nature weeds out the weak and isn't the utopian ideal it's "supposed" to be.

May 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • rodwick

Yes its time for a Mutual of Omaha moment. Something big eating something small and cute would be appropriate educational material.

May 31, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shreddies

Color plays a very important role in nature and the animal kingdom. I'll let you figure out how on your own.

May 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • John boy

Oh nature is all about race a color. Maybe you need to educate yourself. You will never see a dove and a crow nesting together and some females always look for the brightest colors in certain species. That is all you're getting today.

May 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • vwgtiman

First of all, how do you compare birds to human beings? It seems to me that you're just another racist throwing something out there to justify your bs. By the way, I don't know where you live but I see different types of birds hanging out on a fence, search for worms all the time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bannister

Nature CREATED races and colors.

Human Biodiversity is a GOOD thing. That' s why I oppose mixing everyone's genes into one big melting pot. It destroys human diversity.

May 31, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. rennie grant

I think that the only thing wrong with this commercial is the fact that people are actually talking about it at all. It's just a lame commercial by a huge conglomerate to sell us a lame product that is NOT good for our heart or, any other part of our bodies. The racial thing aside if this were an all black family they'd be using the typical "Black" stereotype characters and if it were a White family they'd be using the stereotypical "White" characters. Goofy fat dad, surprising ly hot wife. It's all a distraction from the real issues at hand.

May 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Obvious

Yes, how could this company brazenly use its money to promote the products it is trying to sell, while simultaneously downplaying an interracial family like its normal. Clearly they should use their money to tell us all to boycott their products, and put an ALL CAPS banner across the screen that says "THESE PEOPLE ARE OF DIFFERENT RACES AND HAVE PRODUCED OFFSPRING." And I'm sorry, but the person the article referenced commenting that she would one day probably be blessed with an interracial baby, is nuts. If you want to be absolutely honest, interracial babies are superior due to genetic diversity (if it's better to marry a distant cousin than a sibling, it's better to marry someone who looks different than someone who looks the same for the same reason), but if you're marrying someone to make a point, that's stupid. If you are limiting yourself to people of different races, that is also racist.

May 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • jf

Or she is just generally more attracted to races other than her own.

May 31, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • GeneRipper, PhD

"interracial babies are superior due to genetic diversity "

This is a silly comment. There is ample genetic diversity within any major racial group to support healthy in-group breeding for non-closely related individuals.

A child who inherited a lower IQ, lactose intolerance, and increased risk of sickle-cell anemia because her white mother decided to breed with an African American is superior how, exactly?

May 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Gimcy

This commercial is nothing new. There are mixed race couples in lots of other commercials. Is the ruckus because there is a child of the union? Grow up, people.

May 31, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  84. StephenWelch

Huh? I have no idea what that means

May 31, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Shaggy

So people said mean stuff on the internet? That's what comment sections are. People you don't think you know saying racist mean things to one another.

May 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

And some of it is really funny and makes me laugh, unlike the commercial.

June 3, 2013 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  86. JenniferUCD

good on ya, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Love It

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this commercial. I Love It! Race is not even a factor.

May 31, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  88. cabman

Hate to sound ugly, but I'll be glad when the likes of you expire.

May 31, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  89. DBSaint

Ad is fine. If I had to guess why there's problem, it might be that adopting a black child has become the latest accessory for single, white women with money.

May 31, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  90. boyamidumb

Color, religion, sexual preference, hair cut, income, language, age, sex, weight, hair color, glasses, clothing, smell........

We seem to find all the ways to exclude, and none of the ways to include.

All the worse for us, and especially for our children.

Sad.

May 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  91. StephenWelch

Just another famly.

May 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Danielle

Crazy! I've seen the commercial at least a dozen times and the mixed race thing never entered my mind. Must be "race blind" 🙂
    It's a lovely commercial. The wee one cares about her daddy, not the "black" man or the "white" man. Just Daddy. 🙂

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Leigh

Honey Nut Cheerios Rule...and the little girl is beautiful just like my Boo!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Amy S

As a Black woman engaged to a White man, my eyes were surprised to see a biracial family. Thank you Cheerios for recognizing that much like love, family comes in all colors!

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. JackKidd

The commercial is long overdue. Mixed marriages have existed since the colonial days. We should all just get comfortable with each other. The commercial portrays a happy family. That is the only thing that is important.

May 31, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norman

it is against god for the races to mix-just kidding-youd think this showed a gay family !

May 31, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

"Portrayals" are fiction, in case you didn't know.

May 31, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Rlg

What's the big deal? This is the USA and there are mixed families here!

May 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  97. bibleverse1

I dont see a problem. All those wasted cheerios could feed hungry people though.

May 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Annette

It's beautiful, I loved it.

May 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ID

Oh, diversity, yet you used the most common, the most stereotypical interracial equation ever. Black man, white woman. I see... I see. You know what, you still got it wrong.

May 31, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Sherryl

I think the commercial is long, long overdue! Being able to trave one side of my linage back to Angola, I know for a FACT that I am of mixed heritage. Its a commercial, People! Art reflects life as it is; not as how we'd like it to be.

May 31, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |