May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,493 Responses)
  1. Mosihasteen

I think you're over reacting to this. Getting black men to stay with the women they get pregnant has been a losing battle for the most part for decades. How many even get married ever? In some cities (Detroit for example) the number of black babies born to two parent households is less than 5%, nationally its about 20% – disgusting. Yanking this commercial because of what you think it promotes will not solve this problem.

May 31, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stop being afraid

Your numbers are wrong. Indicating that you are simply stereotyping. Did you think about mixed families in the military? Of course not! I am not black but to say that "number%" of black men abandon family structure is dumb. Please list your sources, otherwise, think again before you post.

July 12, 2013 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ray Flournoy

If the Husband was White and the Wife was Black, White men (the people most offended) wouldn't give it a second thought. I mean, think about all those White slave owners who slept with Black women. No problem there.

May 31, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Watch Dog

We need to see more ads with white man and black women or Asian men and black women or Hispanic women and white man. Make it more appealing to all the races. You cannot just have black man and other "race" women. Its wrong.

May 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mosihasteen

I was in Disney Land this past year and about half (no kidding) the white guys WERE with oriental girls or Hispanic girls and they were pushing baby carriages with a few of their kids. So what.

May 31, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Feekoningin

This IS a joke, right?

May 31, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Watch Dog

So all these single black mothers with their children is also a joke? You do realize how many black females are getting hurt when they see this ad. This only feeds the ego of the black man.

May 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Feekoningin

That's why my family looked like growing up. I don't see the problem. Thanks, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sherry

The commercial is cute! Nothing wrong with a multi-racial family. American has got to get over its prejudices!!! Would there have been an issue with the following senario?, mother is white, father is Chinese, daughter is white/Chinese-American?!

May 31, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

yes, there would have been the same uproar. People posting on this board about interracial marriages are phony and are just being politically correct. Marriage itself can be extremely difficult...why on earth would someone want to add to the difficulties by bringing in different races or religions?

May 31, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Pam

Because they love each other! Period. Race and religious differences are more easily overcome than differences in how to manage money and divide house hold chores! That little girl looks a lot like my daughters did years ago. 28 years, 2 kids & 3 grandkids later I would def marry my different race husband again!!

May 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • John O

Because unlike you not everyone else is a racist.

July 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • William Usina

There is nothing racist about believing races should not mix. It's just common sense. Apparently some people just don't like their own race.

July 16, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Courtney

So your dumb enough to believe there's a pure bloodline that hasn't been shut off from the rest of the world...even the queens and kings of the world can only trace their heritage so far....the races will mix, you're fighting a losing battle.

July 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • bill

The only losers will be the one's who mix

July 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nanson Hwa

Losers are defined as those individuals who are ignorant, make ridiculous statements and consistently make bad decisions. Mixed race individual has more smarts and abilities than a thorough bred due to the diversity of the gene pool and bi-cultural exposure and therefore more adaptable for physical and social survival.

July 16, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debbie

Is this the commercial where he wakes up and finds cheerios poured on his chest?? If it is, it's odd the mix race thing never even occurred to me! Geez what is wrong with people? I grew up in Louisville, and now live in West Virginia (and everyone thinks we are a bunch of hillbilly racist) and even my next door neighbors have mixed race families, never even gave it a thought. You know what to all the racist (and they come in all colors) the world is changing and you either change with it or extinction is in your cards, always been that way, always will be. Narrow minds always loose in the end.

May 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MILLER

I LOVE THIS COMMERICAL THIS IS WHAT THE USA IS ALL ABOUT LOVE LOVE LOVE

May 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. factual

It drives a lot of black women crazy when they see a black man with a white woman, if this was a white guy with a black woman then there would barely be a mumbling since black guys dont care. They are always talking about white girls stealing their men.

May 31, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

I don't believe the issue is with Black women! I believe the issue is with white men! I am an African American woman and I have no problem with the commercial. The media is not going to show a white man with a black woman in a Cherrios commercial or any other commercial representing a family unit. Most of the women I know are not interested in white men, and women who are interested, God bless them This is America and we can make our own choices, be they black, white or any other ethnicity. White men are marryiing Black women, but you won't see that on tv. People still have their color issues. The world's views are changing and there are going to be a lot of multi-racial families. So I guess we/you will get use to it!!

May 31, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • 5giggy5

I think you are wrong, I have a friend who married Black woman Chinese man. That is why black americans look different region to region. Most African Americans are mixed with native Indians and white we really don't have that issue. Now when you talk about a person specifically, they may not want to see you date there brother or sister but that might be for many reasons other than color.

May 31, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsgyrl

Don't kid yourself. It does bother some Black Men. I'm speaking from personal experience.

June 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. momo0828

LOL. I was waiting for someone to write a comment like this. They most likely never bought a box of cheerios in their lives and probably won’t recognize the box if they saw it on the grocery store shelves. But because of this add proclaim their hatred of the product. Really? LOL; that is too funny.

May 31, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jsid

About time we see more real life commercials. People who don't value this are seriously living in the past. Grow up and catch up...this is real life.

May 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Erlinda

Much ado about nothing. Cute commercial about cereal.

May 31, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NamedScreen

Nobody would complain if the mother was Irish and the father German. So, nobody should complain about this.

May 31, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. clv100

Good. Please eat a lot of bacon and sausage and do the human race a favor.

May 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Geo

This country will never get.

May 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilgtogirl

You can't think that somehow other places are better? I supposed you mean white Europe, where they throw bananas on the football fields when black players come out? Or do you mean the current race riots in the UK? Because honestly, this is the world we live in.

May 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul MUSC

Should we be like Europe and yell racist chants at public sporting events? Maybe like the Dutch who elect xenophobes to office? or like South Africa and build whites only neighborhoods, or like Russia and round up gay activists? I prefer a bunch of 12 year olds who are making bad stereotype jokes behind a computer screen. The outrage over this commercial and the outrage at seeing the comments are yawn... both faux outrage.

May 31, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. R. Neal

??? Who really gives a flying crap about this? Makes me sick that people are still harping on race in2013! Last time I checked this was still the good ol USA. Who a person loves, a person chooses to spend their life with is not anybodys freaking business but theirs. Get over your racist selves and get a life!
    GO CHERIOS!!!

May 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. vulpes

lol

May 31, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ggdeluz

I don't see what the cause of the uproar is. I would hope we had come to the point where we are not surprised or alarmed at seeing a multiracial family. Today with so many people marrying across racial lines and adopting across racial lines this should not be an issue. Would it bother people if one parent were Asian and one white or black.

May 31, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mr. Postman

At the same time, this ad is very cautious. The black man and the white woman are not even in the same room. Every Cheerios commercial I've ever seen about "heart health" features the married couple together. Could you imagine the uproar if it showed them... hugging?!

May 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Srini

I don't think that the Ad was meant to represent the interracial mix in America. The interracial Ads are created to get attention of multiple races in a single Ad. Instead of creating an Ad for White population and another one for Black population, an interracial Ad is an economical way of communicating to both populations. Mostly a white female is shown with a black male. The reason I think of it is that there have been a lot of such pairs in celebrity list whereas the White male/black female pairs are very few.

May 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mcg

Any cereal that you eat for breakfast instead of bacon and eggs will be "heart healthy". This whole campaign that cheerios has trying to convince people it's healthy is BS, that stuff is loaded with sugar.

May 31, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nunya

As opposed to the Capn Cruch you eat right?

May 31, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • FactsPlease

One gram of sugar out of twenty grams of carbs qualifies is low sugar, not loaded with sugar.

May 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Some of the flavored versions, like Honey Nut, are loaded with sugar. Plain cheerios are very low in sugar.

July 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joaquin

I saw this news earlier in the Washington Post and immediately contacted General Mills to thank them and say I planned to purchase Cheerios boxes to donate to my local food bank (since I don't actually eat breakfast). I received a cordial immediate reply.
    I urge everyone who doesn't want to go back to the days when a few southern bigots could call the shots for what was on television to support General Mills. You know they will be targeted and under pressure to take the ad down. Remember the Nat King Cole show was cancelled after less than a year.

May 31, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • tilasdoc

Why on earth do you think bigots must be Southern? Your comment showcased your own bigoted ignorance. If you look on the internet for a map of where hate crimes occurred from 199-2010, you will find that 100+ violent acts occured in California and Florida. And yes, FL is in the south, but MI, NY, OH, OR, WA, CO, NV, AZ (and TX, again, southern) ECLIPSE all other states in terms of hate crimes committed.

Please do the world a favor, and educate yourself before making your stupid generalizations. It makes you look like you were educated in California public schools.

July 13, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mindstorms

I am surprised that someone would be surprised that racism exists in this country. Racism is as American as apple pie and motherhood.

May 31, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JORIAL

I myself am a product of a mixed marriage. My father was male and my mother was female.

May 31, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Judyp

I was thrilled to see an ad that is representative of a growing segment of our population not typically included! Nice going, Cheerios

May 31, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sevenfeet

What's perplexing about all this is that this isn't even the first commercial with a mixed couple by far. Advertisers have been doing this for years. Why? Because more and more of America looks like this (like my own house). So why is this particular ad being singled out when there have been plenty of other for national brands in the last few years? I'm guessing that it's the extended dialog of a family situation as opposed to a quick cut of people featured in an ad.

The ad that I thought would have caused a commotion was a recent Progressive Insurance ad featuring Flo talking insurance to an obviously gay couple (one of the men had a rainbow shirt in case you needed a cue). No one batted an eyelash at that one (and shouldn't).

May 31, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ricky

Certainly a conscious effort on the Cheerios brand to make a step towards progress, but I'm sure if you were to post a lineup of the CEO, President, Vice President, Directors, and so forth (of General Mills) you would find disproportionately in-equal numbers of whites in comparison to black people. Ideally it's a stance on what society should be like, but realistically it's a marketing tactic to bring in more revenue. If this ad didn't make dollars and cents, it wouldn't have been produced. Sounds negative, but it there's a 99% chance the faces behind this commercial were Romney supporters. If equality sells than they'll pitch it, but if they had their choice they would make their money in accordance with their own private beliefs.

May 31, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Gary

The scary thing is that all these ignorant racists continue to breed.....

May 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tanya

Clearly the ad works, because I just went and looked in my pantry for the cereal, but my husband ate it.

May 31, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. BD70

About time.

May 31, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Doug

Having been part of an interracial marriage for nearly 30 years, I can happily say that there is almost no adverse reaction these days, although it was a bit more of an issue in the early 80's.

I remember being called names that made no sense at all, being told things that were obviously based on pure ignorance... mostly from my dad (who eventually came around), but also by otherwise "sane" and "logical" people.

For the most part, the people that tend to overreact seem like they feel threatened and insecure, living in a world that is so flimsy that anything "new" might instantly make it crumble apart.

In this context, I believe the original threat of an interracial marriage was in large part based on political expedience, and the Church had a vested interest in maintaining that threat in the public's eye. With no direct connection, much of this is owed to the way many religions have brainwashed the masses in an effort to control behavior through simple directives rather than educate them on deeper topics like morality and responsibility.

This isn't the case with all religions, but the net effect is that while I still believe in God, my faith in religion has been replaced with more of a "Billy Joel" philosophy (coming from his "shades of grey" lyrics: "the only people I fear, are those who never have doubts, save my soul from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for, I won't be rightous again, I'm not that sure any more").

It starts out innocently enough, with simple examples taken from Bible versus (in the case of Christianity). These lessons becomes rules that are treated as absolute truths. We are told to believe in these immutable truths based on parables that are often out of context. Instead of focussing on the bigger issue or the importance of treating each other with respect, we end up being taught that some people should be hated for what they do/don't do/are/are not. The Bible tries to teach us to love the sinner while hating the sin, but religion steps in and (implicity) tells us that God hates us for this or that reason, or other silly things like it's a good idea to force people to do "the right thing" (hypocritically usurpping God's will and denying people the rewards/responsibility for doing the right/wrong thing).

It all boils down to divisiveness, although there are a lot of dots to connect to get there. We want to feel like we're in the "better" crowd, and we'll do all the wrong things to ensure that others know it or that our friends agree with it. If you drop that "need" to be better than your neighbor, you have much more room to find love for those around you. When you worry more about what God thinks of you than what you think of another, then it becomes clear that doing the right thing comes naturally, and nobody needs to tell you that it's right or wrong.

I'm not saying that all bigotry is manifested from the side effects of religion, but the correllation is strong in the thought processes of people that believe "because of their belief" rather than because they have reasoned it out (meaning: bigotry is born of ignorance, and that organized religion fosters an environment of ignorance by teaching people to rely on the moral guidance of another rather than developing their own personal moral authority). I'm also not saying that all religion acts to do this intentionally – religion does serve God's needs, albeit with occasional side effects.

Bottom line: go ahead and hate me, it only hurts you in the end.

May 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Veggie

So glad to hear you have a happy marriage! We need more of those. I want to point out that Jesus worked to break down racial divisions. If you look at The conversation in John 4, it's clearly seen how he stepped out to reach out to a person of another race and win her confidence. The Bible does not support racism. It says that God looks at our hearts while people look at the outward appearance. I think misled people have vainly used the Bible to support their own racist beliefs.

May 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Thom

I am from a mixed marriage, I was born in 1952 in western NY. My black father was always in my life and my white mother still is. I live in Anaheim Ca now. I say this because personally i have seen little racism in my life of 60 yrs. Mostly in rural areas or on the internet where people feel they can say a little more than a social setting. Although I know there are real horror stories, mine has been blessed and uneventful. The commercial did warm my heart though because young people need to feel like they belong and that will solve many social aliments. Growing up I knew I was different but that mainly came from TV and the lack of diversity at the time. My hats off to GM for being smart enough to be the first major advertiser to be so blatant. All this buzz sells more product.

May 31, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenchandammit

Your insight is right on the truth. Religion (at least christianity) outwardly says, 'Love your neighbor', but the insidiousness of the division between 'those who are righteous' and 'those who are going to hell' takes root on a deeper psychological level. The resulting 'us and them' aspect of church societies can not be avoided. I have only recently become more outward with my atheism. I've begun to notice that my more 'strongly' christian friends seem to go out of their way to avoid contact. Atheists, it's starting to seem, will be friends with christians, but christians are less likely to be friends with atheists. I hope in the end this will prove untrue, but it seems like I am noticing a trend!

May 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe5

Doug, I noticed you didn’t mention what the composition of interracial marriage you are involved in. I suspect that comments on this commercial have brought out a disproportional number of folks associated in some manner with black/white marriage. That’s to be expected. For those of you who righteously proclaim to be “color blind” I bet you automatically identify every person you see with some “race”. Does that make you a racist?

June 23, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tanya

I think this ad represents real Americans like me. I am white. My husband is West Indian. Our daughter is a beautiful mix of us both. This ad doesn't insult ME. Nice ad, Cheerios. Endearing ad...love the Cheerios all over dad.

May 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. relmfoxdale

Wait, this was on the INTERNET? Have you people visited 4Chan? Seriously?

May 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. AL NEUMAN

You've got to be kidding me?

May 31, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Glenda

If this is the worst thing we ever see, we got it made! What a cute little girl.

May 31, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. rasko41

If it hurts the feelings of bigots, it's a good ad.

May 31, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Musubiduck

I grew up in Hawaii and never understood the stereotype "Bi-racial".

....because most of Hawaii born people have at least 2 ethnicites. I am Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, Irish and Welsh and all of my siblings look different, however, put us together, you can tell we're related and the similarities of features from our parents.

May 31, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. David

Oops, I don't think that was you, lauradet. I'm looking at another history of yours (or someone also called lauradet) and it appears you are one of the good ones fighting intolerance and right wing lies. If that is you I sincerely apologize for thinking you were a bigot.

May 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ruemorgue

Who likes Cherios, anyway?

May 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mark J. Semer

Thank you Cheerios for bringing us back to the real world. Mixed race marriages are the real world. Again, thank you.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. I Am God

Wow. Racists are the worst people in the United States. What is funny is when they make a racist statement and then claim it wasn't racist and they are only speaking truth. Talk about not getting a proper education.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Narchais

Agreed. People with an opinion based on the race of another individual is far worse than murderers, rapists, pedophiles, thieves, and terrorists. You've really put things in perspective for me. You can kill me, pillage my body, steal every possession I own, take my children, and destroy everything I've ever loved but please, PLEASE don't have an opinion. I don't think I could handle that.

May 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • GeneRipper, PhD

You speak as if "racist" and "true" are mutually exclusive. They are not. Many well-documented facts of human biology and evolution are considered racist because they do not fit the egalitarian narrative that many wish to believe in.

Racial realists, many of whom are scientists who simply refuse to distort truth for political correctness, are generally very well educated, likely better than you are.

People keep talking about "racists" needing to "do some research" need to take their own advice and look up the numerous scientific studies about race and IQ, for example. If you don't know these differences ARE a fact and are largely genetically-based differences resulting from evolutionary pressures acting on early geographically-divergent human population groups, then it is you who are in need of education.

May 31, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • vwgtiman

And if you actually believe what you said then you are lost.

May 31, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • bannister

GeneRipper – nice to hear a voice of sanity on this board. The multicultural propaganda of the last 30 years has been extremely effective, most people are thoroughly brainwashed (or intimidated) into believing that "race doesn't matter."

The idea that "race is meaningless" flies in the face of everything we know about evolutionary biology.

May 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lem

Although I'm a fan of higher education, I do realize that it isn't the end all and be all of any situation. Your focus on race and IQ is true given the studies and demographic of those tested. However, it is far from being the reality. The majority of test given to prove IQ are based on factors that many people are not exposed to. It's easy to rely on testing that illustrates an area that you are familiar with. I'm certain that if you showed me your dissertation, depending upon the subject matter, I would probably be at a loss. However, it wouldn't be because I'm black. It would be because I haven't been exposed to that subject in the same way that you have. I'm a fairly educated person and I can guarantee that if I gave you an IQ test on how to survive the inner city, when all odds are against you; I'm certain that you would probably do poorly. Not because you have never been to the inner city but because you are probably ignorant of what it's like to be raised in that type of environment. Does that make you inferior? Of course not. It makes you someone who hasn't been exposed to a way of life that many people deal with on a daily basis.

Someone with your level of education should know better than to make judgments based on test that are more or less rigged to produce a desired result. I know people who belong to MENSA and they can't hold a basic conversation. On top of that they are paying to be a part of the IQ Society. So whose IQ is really below standard? Someone who's never been exposed to 90% of a subject matter or someone who pays someone else to tell them they are smart?

May 31, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • vwgtiman

Exactly

May 31, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Am God

I'm not surprised by the fools that are prejudicial commenting my post. The one individual claiming that he is far more educated then me; you obviously aren't that educated if you think any fool posting data to hide their racial foolishness is truthful. I suggest fools like you get out more. Stop thinking of everything as racially and start thinking of people as actual human beings. Fool #2. I have no clue where you get your cluelessness where races shouldn't mix. My wife is a mixture of white and african american and she is the most beautiful person in the world.

May 31, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Black Dude

I prefer black women. It's what I like. I also usually only date black women...it's what I like. I don't actively exclude other types of women, i just tend to gravitate toward the loveliness of ebony. Would i date or marry someone of a different race....sure. And i have!
    Who cares who you date, marry or screw...it's what you like and frankly none of my business nor do I care to make it my business. I have an idea! Just live your life and respect the lives that others choose to live. It's pretty simple.
    Many try to make the personal lives and choices of others their concern, especially when no harm is done. I just wonder if these type of people are reflecting their poorly expressed opinions about the lives others lead in a desperate attempt to understand or find a life of their own to lead. At the end of the day, it's simply a commercial designed to get a target audience to part with hard earned money for products they may or may not need....it's not some grand statement about the universe and its beginnings....it's simply a commercial that features a traditional family, a man, a woman, and a child. It's your own insecurities that cause you to focus on the elementary. Get over it...because you cannot stop human nature. Have a great weekend and hopefully the haters run into all manner of interracial love. Ha!

May 31, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doodlebug2222

Ummm... this reminds me of a stage where this guy borrowed the mic for a few minutes... but yes, it was very nice learning about what you personally like and do not like but .. *tap tap* topic please?

I think it was a very cute commercial and showed what a typical family can be. It is not in any way saying "black men marry white women" – it only happens to be a commerical with black and white parents.

Btw... if you were blind > you would of never noticed.. so.. why do we have to make issues where none exist?

May 31, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Black Dude

Agreed. And we'll said.

Topic: It simply doesn't matter who you chose.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • sparky

I prefer Cheerios. I usually eat only Cheerios.

May 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenchandammit

Way to go, black dude! You can't change 'who you're attracted to' any more than you can force someone to change their favorite color, or food, or sport. People like what they like, it's all good, and it's nobody else's business. I'm white, my wife is asian. I guess I'm guilty of 'destroying the white genome'! Ha!

May 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jean-Sartre

Many IQ studies in the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s have been done on this subject; none of them give your assertions any credibility at all. All legitimate, peer-reviewed studies, actually show no statistically difference between races.

May 31, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • vwgtiman

Agreed. That just shows you how weak minded people are. Probably something they heard from a friend OR mommy and daddy taught them that. I guess thinking on your own is out of the question. God forbid doing some actual research. Their head might explode.

May 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nigel

Tell that to the rest of Africa mate

May 31, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • vwgtiman

He was probably referring to YOU Mr. Uneducated

May 31, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • GeneRipper, PhD

That is a laughably absurd statement. Transparent BS, as 30 seconds searching "race and IQ" would show anyone.

May 31, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sadie

Maybe you should learn how to spell before trying to type an ignorant response.

May 31, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • vwgtiman

OMG ROFL!!!!! That just made my day! HAHA

May 31, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Buddha

I loved it! Funny and smart. Would never have thought about the mixed race part uf I'd seen it before I read this.

May 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buddha

oh yeah the product is not as healthy as they would like you to believe.

May 31, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • gymbo

Exactly, I saw this commercial the other day and didn't even notice the interracial family until I read this article.

May 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mrs. P

I not worried about the interracial part – I'm worried about people thinking Cheetos are good for your heart!!!

May 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alsutton

Cheerios...it's for Cheerios, not Cheetos.

May 31, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sadie

Oh, and to the person who made the racist comment about the dad leaving – My parents have been married for 35 years.

May 31, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. lesliee

Go away, bannister. Don't you know that no one is inherently good? Who would say such a thing about themselves? Again: an ignorant snob with no self-awwareness.

May 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Regina

This is the first commercial I have ever seen with an actual mixed race FAMILY! I was thrilled. Everyone in America needs representation in media.

May 31, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  49. BoulderJR

Political correctness has kicked into high gear.

May 31, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • FedUp

Of course. After all, it's the year of "coming out". Wait, they'll be more. We'll look like Brasil by 2050....

May 31, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Josephine1

So what? Brazil looks really good to me. Also if we look mixed race in 2050, we'll just be returning to our roots. Until about 150 years ago, many Americans could easily be identified as of mixed European and Native American heritage.

May 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric Buchman

Your comment makes no sense.

May 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Rick

It's long overdue and SHOULD be much to do about nothing.

May 31, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  51. LMB

*This was directed to the person who wrote "I am a good person"...

May 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Miheri Bohls

Don't look now but the boogie man is underneath your bed as well.

May 31, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. lesliee

I knew I was in for a plethora of nasty attack statements when I read your first words: "I am a good person." Whoever says that about themselves is an arrogant snob with no self-awareness.

May 31, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • bannister

Lesliee – I felt that I needed to preface my statement with "I am a good person" because there is sooo much propaganda aimed at anyone who deviates from the politically correct narrative on race.

The truth is, I AM a good person and you'd probably like me if you met me!

May 31, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  54. DonDonInNC

Meanwhile, your intelligence is non-existent.

May 31, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. stanhope

Thank you Cheerios! It's about time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Malory Archer

Wow. Just... wow.

May 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. junieswife

The Cheerios commerical is decades overdue. Thank you General Mills.

May 31, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Malory Archer

Would those who were offended have a problem if the commercial featured a Caucasian male and Asian female (or vice versa) and their biracial child? I'm thinking "no".

May 31, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. hstyles

From what I know of the commercial about which I’ve only read but not seen, I don't have a problem with it. However, to sidestep temporarily the biracial family on TV question, as an adult black male I'd like to see more wholesome images of medium to dark-skinned blacks, male and female, portrayed in the mass media, including TV. Why is it, I’ve often wondered, that the black person so often and prominently portrayed in commercials and other mass media almost invariably happens to be light skinned—like the biracial girl? Accident? I don't think so. Do dark skinned African Americans not exist in the eyes of mass media marketers? In their myopic world view are dark-skinned blacks unimportant, inconsequential—a trivial matter? Or, could it be more not-so-subtle proof that racism is still alive and well in America? I think the curiously mixed response to the biracial family in a TV commercial answers that question. Perhaps the Cheerios commercial will spark a REAL discussion about race relations in America, one that most people, unfortunately, would much rather sweep under the proverbial rug than face head on. If it does, then maybe, just maybe, Cheerios rightfully deserves to be called the "Breakfast of Champions."

May 31, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • JS

I agree with you on the issues on nonrepresentation. i'm white and I notice this everytime I turn on my television. I believe darker skinned people should be seen on television not only in commercials but also in shows. Often when there is a darker skinned person on television it is a man, but is usually accompanied by a much lighter skinned african american woman. When I'm watching T.V. with my friends they seem to think that it is normal. They also believe that I am being extreme when I point this out.

May 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Doodlebug2222

I am Native American Indian – so yes, I 100% understand about lack of positive representation. I watch a show on Netflix (Fringe) and the lead has one of the most stunning face I have seen. Carved with strong elegance, and an attitude that fits perfectly (quiet strength). The darkness of his skin adds so much to his features.

All races – have such amazing variations in their skin tones, structures, facial features and each are so unique and beautiful. I can't understand why only some are deemed suitable for the camera or etc... Really – some of the most lovelly faces I have seen – was not about perfect this or that – but was moreso the character of the person that shown though – and how they held themself.

May 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alsutton

I've often wondered this too, and thought it was something specific to this country. But recently I was reading something about the phenomenon, and it literally happens everywhere. Light skinned Africans discriminate against dark-skinned ones, Brazilians only put light skinned citizens on T.V., the Middle East has the same issue with lighter versus darker skinned people, and on and on. I truly think that it is human nature to do that for some reason. Does it make sense? No, but for whatever reason, that appears to be the way it is everywhere.

May 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dangermouse

It's not some kind of innate human nature, but an effect of European colonialism, when the ruling class in these places was made up of Europeans and their white or multiracial children — Portugal colonized Brazil, England colonized India, Spain and then the U.S. colonized the Philippines. At one point, almost the entire continent of Africa was colonized by various European countries (Germany, Belgium, England, the Netherlands, France, etc.) In those places, light and white skin became associated with status and political or social power, and that has trickled down to today.

May 31, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • edddale

iThe response about the European colonization explains it, Well done.

June 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  60. DP

Great ad. Bravo to Cheerios ad dept. for being color blind.

May 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kam

Great Job! Love the commercial i wish more companies would take the step Cheerios did! Awesome!

May 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Dan

If one has worked with military families over the past few decades, inter-racial couples are old news. Military members have been much more open to respecting people from a variety of backgrounds, races, ethnicity, whatever than the general public in the US for a long time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. A Believer

Long overdue and most welcomed. I applaud you General Mills, don't let dullards and naysayers dissuade you.

May 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. sethwh

Cheerios has comments disabled on this YouTube video... wow.

May 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • manhandler1

Don't blame them for disabling comments. All news sites should disable comments sections, especially CNN. Hate to say it, but Fox News is the only one to abolish the disgrace known as comments and good for them. Because these sections are mainly populated by lowlifes and trash who have nothing to say except to preach hate....to each other and to whomever else they choose. I would be more than willing to give it up if it were axed.

May 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jim

My own family is mixed race. I'm the white guy and I feel like the minority, we joke about it. But the letter writer in the article...what wimp. This Cheerios ad is not the "modern family structure". Black and white families have been done before the 21st century, you know. What my wife and I hate, even though we're a mixed race family and have three major religions. All this diversity garbage is ridiculous. Don't PUSH "diversity". If it happens, it happens. One thing I did hate about a Cheerios ad was one all in Spanish. Made me very angry. Show it in Mexico, not here.

May 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

Advertisers have tough choices to make when they have as huge a target population as Cheerios. Ads are all about making folks feel good about and connected to a product so that they will buy it, preferably with loyalty. And people respond in passionately emotional ways to things that are irrelevant to the product– such as the nature of the family shown enjoying that product or the language and words they use. I wonder why we are so easily manipulated by our emotional prejudices to be inclined or disinclined to feel good about &/or purchase products that have nothing to do with those emotional triggers. Aren't we humans a funny critter!?

May 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  66. John

This is not news. I'm pretty sure you can find comments that have "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " on every single video on youtube.

May 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod C. Venger

Sad but true. The people claiming to have tolerance have little tolerance for opposing opinions, as if only they can be right. People are entitled to their opinions and have the right to express them as they see fit. To turn around and call someone a "Troglodyte" merely for being crude and of a different opinion merely highlights the narrow-mindedness of the speaker. I'd have to say that two narrow-minded people may not have a full brain between them.

May 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alsutton

True – Godwin's Law wouldn't exist if that was not the case.

May 31, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Chuck88888

The only "people" upset over the multi-ethnic family potrayed in this commerical are internet trolls – who don't really care other than to generate angry responses. Heck, maybe some of the trolls are "astro-turfed" by General Mills to generate buzz for their commerical.

May 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. topcat

make another commercial with a white dad and a black mom.

May 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck88888

Or, pay all the families of "Sister Wives" to appear in a commerical endorsing Cherrios.

May 31, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. nvmature

"Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America." You already said it best.

May 31, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Bill

The leader of the free world is half white? Funny, he certainly doesn't seem to want to be identified by that fact. Only bigots of all races are concerned with race.

May 31, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Me, sitting watching TV with my own mixed-race kids, often think about how the media...all of it...only identify Obama as being black. So many of his more famous supporters (read: Hollywood) also say he's black. Hmmm. Abandoned by his black African father, raised by his white American mother and white grandparents...yet he's black. Hmmm. Oh, yeah, of course that's right.

May 31, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Eric Buchman

@Jim: Looks like you've got a bit of a confirmation bias. By and large, Obama's supporters are far more willing to point out his mixed heritage than his detractors, as his detractors are the ones who are most likely to use his African-heritage against him. (Just watch Glenn Beck's "assertion" that Obama has a war against white people and you'll see what I mean)

May 31, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • maria

Okay! Obama father was black his mother was white ,raised by white grandparents....is Obama white? NOT !!!! is Obama black? yes why? because he looks and has the same father skin color, if he looks like his mother the same color he would be white Obama would be white ....get the point my dear? not racism here, just common sense ....

June 3, 2013 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Some guy

To be fair he was born and raised in a country and time period that would never have accepted him calling himself white and was black to the rest of the world the second he was born. So why should he now do it?

May 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bill

Hope and Change perhaps?

May 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Shreddies

Congratulations Cheerios on a great troll video. All this extra attention will increase your sales exponentially. Post needs to step up its game.

May 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. anothermuse

I thought that was funny as well. The surprising thing is this thread isn't the usual cesspool.

May 31, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Toronto

Really!! there is nothing else to talk about. Here is a thought? For your next new year's resolution or not. Travel beyond your borders. Then you will realize, this is not an issue, at least for most parts of the world.

May 31, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Michael

Bravo!

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Carrick

That's funny... I had seen the commercial, but I didn't even notice that kid had a different skin pigment until I saw this story.

I'm around enough interracial couples I don't even think anything about it any more.

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Some guy

Thats why people want to push for diversity, so that eventually you just stop noticing and if enough people stop noticing racism and sexism etc disappear and become antiquated

May 31, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  76. DBSaint

Now that would have really sparked conversation!

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. LeeAnn

I have to be honest....I've seen this commercial before and it never really hit me that it was a multiracial family...I was to busy laughing at the father with a shirt full of cheerios...

May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. sc

I am married to a man from an interracial background and my maternal grandparents were Catholic and Jewish.

The people who are appalled by interracial relationships should be appealled when they look in the mirror.

You go, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. johneturnerii

The problem with this commercial is that it promotes the idea that processed crap is good for you.

May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  80. johneturnerii

I am still laughing

May 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Farrok

Nature sees neither Race nor Color............................

May 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • DBSaint

Again, I'm fine with the ad, but this is poor commment. Nature is all about color and perception.

May 31, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sly Cooper

Shhh, don't tell him about how nature weeds out the weak and isn't the utopian ideal it's "supposed" to be.

May 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • rodwick

Yes its time for a Mutual of Omaha moment. Something big eating something small and cute would be appropriate educational material.

May 31, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shreddies

Color plays a very important role in nature and the animal kingdom. I'll let you figure out how on your own.

May 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • John boy

Oh nature is all about race a color. Maybe you need to educate yourself. You will never see a dove and a crow nesting together and some females always look for the brightest colors in certain species. That is all you're getting today.

May 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • vwgtiman

First of all, how do you compare birds to human beings? It seems to me that you're just another racist throwing something out there to justify your bs. By the way, I don't know where you live but I see different types of birds hanging out on a fence, search for worms all the time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bannister

Nature CREATED races and colors.

Human Biodiversity is a GOOD thing. That' s why I oppose mixing everyone's genes into one big melting pot. It destroys human diversity.

May 31, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. rennie grant

I think that the only thing wrong with this commercial is the fact that people are actually talking about it at all. It's just a lame commercial by a huge conglomerate to sell us a lame product that is NOT good for our heart or, any other part of our bodies. The racial thing aside if this were an all black family they'd be using the typical "Black" stereotype characters and if it were a White family they'd be using the stereotypical "White" characters. Goofy fat dad, surprising ly hot wife. It's all a distraction from the real issues at hand.

May 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Obvious

Yes, how could this company brazenly use its money to promote the products it is trying to sell, while simultaneously downplaying an interracial family like its normal. Clearly they should use their money to tell us all to boycott their products, and put an ALL CAPS banner across the screen that says "THESE PEOPLE ARE OF DIFFERENT RACES AND HAVE PRODUCED OFFSPRING." And I'm sorry, but the person the article referenced commenting that she would one day probably be blessed with an interracial baby, is nuts. If you want to be absolutely honest, interracial babies are superior due to genetic diversity (if it's better to marry a distant cousin than a sibling, it's better to marry someone who looks different than someone who looks the same for the same reason), but if you're marrying someone to make a point, that's stupid. If you are limiting yourself to people of different races, that is also racist.

May 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • jf

Or she is just generally more attracted to races other than her own.

May 31, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • GeneRipper, PhD

"interracial babies are superior due to genetic diversity "

This is a silly comment. There is ample genetic diversity within any major racial group to support healthy in-group breeding for non-closely related individuals.

A child who inherited a lower IQ, lactose intolerance, and increased risk of sickle-cell anemia because her white mother decided to breed with an African American is superior how, exactly?

May 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Gimcy

This commercial is nothing new. There are mixed race couples in lots of other commercials. Is the ruckus because there is a child of the union? Grow up, people.

May 31, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  84. StephenWelch

Huh? I have no idea what that means

May 31, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Shaggy

So people said mean stuff on the internet? That's what comment sections are. People you don't think you know saying racist mean things to one another.

May 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

And some of it is really funny and makes me laugh, unlike the commercial.

June 3, 2013 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  86. JenniferUCD

good on ya, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Love It

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this commercial. I Love It! Race is not even a factor.

May 31, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  88. cabman

Hate to sound ugly, but I'll be glad when the likes of you expire.

May 31, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  89. DBSaint

Ad is fine. If I had to guess why there's problem, it might be that adopting a black child has become the latest accessory for single, white women with money.

May 31, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  90. boyamidumb

Color, religion, sexual preference, hair cut, income, language, age, sex, weight, hair color, glasses, clothing, smell........

We seem to find all the ways to exclude, and none of the ways to include.

All the worse for us, and especially for our children.

Sad.

May 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  91. StephenWelch

Just another famly.

May 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Danielle

Crazy! I've seen the commercial at least a dozen times and the mixed race thing never entered my mind. Must be "race blind" 🙂
    It's a lovely commercial. The wee one cares about her daddy, not the "black" man or the "white" man. Just Daddy. 🙂

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Leigh

Honey Nut Cheerios Rule...and the little girl is beautiful just like my Boo!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Amy S

As a Black woman engaged to a White man, my eyes were surprised to see a biracial family. Thank you Cheerios for recognizing that much like love, family comes in all colors!

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. JackKidd

The commercial is long overdue. Mixed marriages have existed since the colonial days. We should all just get comfortable with each other. The commercial portrays a happy family. That is the only thing that is important.

May 31, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norman

it is against god for the races to mix-just kidding-youd think this showed a gay family !

May 31, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

"Portrayals" are fiction, in case you didn't know.

May 31, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Rlg

What's the big deal? This is the USA and there are mixed families here!

May 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  97. bibleverse1

I dont see a problem. All those wasted cheerios could feed hungry people though.

May 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Annette

It's beautiful, I loved it.

May 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ID

Oh, diversity, yet you used the most common, the most stereotypical interracial equation ever. Black man, white woman. I see... I see. You know what, you still got it wrong.

May 31, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Sherryl

I think the commercial is long, long overdue! Being able to trave one side of my linage back to Angola, I know for a FACT that I am of mixed heritage. Its a commercial, People! Art reflects life as it is; not as how we'd like it to be.

May 31, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |