May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Pat

I see a beautiful family. I think I'll have some Cheerios.

June 1, 2013 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

I 2nd that Pat...Cheerios was and is my favorite cereal πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sue Nagata

Long over due πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack English

My family owned slaves and that was the norm at the time. Those days are long gone but the revisionists continue to throw rocks at the past. We have "Projects" in every large city in the US to house the people who can be assimilated and pay their own way. So, what is the difference in Master with his plantation, taking care of his charges and the Fed, the new Masser, paying for the Plantation Projects? Blacks aren't white folks with dark skin, they are a different race with a different genectic makeup.

June 1, 2013 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
      • Sri

Jack, the difference is that the Masters of those plantations abused their slaves and discriminated against them in every possible way. The Feds don't do that! The master-slavery blood in your brain probably doesn't allow you to think on those lines!

June 1, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
      • call me Bwana

Just how thick can you get?

June 1, 2013 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
      • scarls

Actually the Feds do that quite well. We are all modern day slaves. Most just don't realize it. Slavery is and has always been morally wrong. Those who do it by manipulating our currency and our government for their benefit are only marginally better than those who did it by employing the whip.

June 1, 2013 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
      • Scott

Different genetic makeup? Could you please provide a source for that claim. It is my understanding that there is only one human genetic species (as opposed to say dogs or cats) and in that sense skin colour is a visual difference that has nothing to do with genes. Race is cultural and not genetic.

June 1, 2013 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
      • JohnS

Jack,

If you live south of the old Mason Dixon line, there is a very high likelihood that you are of mixed blood and it's not that different in the north.

June 1, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

Yes, there are genetic differences – and more than just the amount of melatonin in people's skin. But the differences have little to do with culture, intelligence, personality or the other factors that determine how a person would choose to live their life.

June 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Leon

"Advocacy" in the media is very common, and is also mostly not entirely accurate. "Mixed race" is a term used by the media to refer to black skinned Africans mating with white skinned Europeans. In reality, I would say that the majority of Americans in 2013 have multiple ethno-racial groups represebted in their "pedigrees". I would also say that the "media sterotype" of a black african man and a white european woman represented in this cheerios commercial is not the most common mix. Not that there's anything wrong with it. But I wish somebody would make a commercial with real people like my family. I have scottish, french, native american, african and east indian in my background. Most people think I look "cuban" or hispanic. my wife has french canadian, redneck and native american in hers. She looks like gweneth paltrow. My ex girlfriend's mother was Irish and her father was mexican. She was absolutely gorgeous, along with her four sisters from the same parents, who range from "Amos & Andy" to "Martin and Lewis". Or maybe "Amos & Lewis" Everybody's been having kids with everybody else in this country for generations. et over it.

June 1, 2013 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Agreed – while there are certainly some parts of the country that seem to have difficulty understanding that we are all human beings, I think they are the minority. I think this issue only stays alive as long as we want it to. We need to stop worrying about changing the minds of people we can't influence and work with those we can.

June 1, 2013 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Davis

Amen, Leon!

June 1, 2013 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Wondering

I get all of them Leon, but Redneck. Is that Irish or Mulungeon?

June 1, 2013 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Leon

what's a mulungeon?

June 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Just sayin'

How come it's always a black guy/white girl relationship? It seems like 99/100 times I see some interracial arrangement on TV it's always this way. Aren't black girls attractive to white guys? Or, is something else going on?

June 1, 2013 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
    • OldDad

It's because the black "guy" is seen more as the macho conqueror with his "trophy wife" as opposed to "what has the white guy conquered??", not that there is anything morally wrong with either scenario. The whole idea is to sell product and you (the company) will exploit any and all venues to do so. And THAT is what I have a problem with, not the interracial mix, whatever it may be. Think about who/what is going to be sitting at the breakfast table next.

June 1, 2013 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Abigail

I have seen plenty of black girl/white boy ads, but they are in publishing ads – magazines etc.

June 2, 2013 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • TonyaW

LOL...People seem to forget about the Jefferson's neighbors, Tom and Helen! I'm just saying...

June 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RICK

Have you ever asked yourself why, when the race of a mixed race person like our President is mentioned in a favoriable light, that it is always the Afro-American features or quallities that are praised.

June 1, 2013 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • William Parrish

The new racism: not remembering the old racism and the disenfranchisement of black people in this country

June 1, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Well, the white parentage of Obama is not all that unusual. After all, EVERY president before him had two white parents.

His mother is as much a part of his genetic makeup as his dad, but the unusual thing is that his dad was black. In his speeches he tends to credit his mom more than his dad, because she was there more. So... I think you are just confusing the fact that IT IS A BIG DEAL that a person with non-white ancestry became president with the idea that only one side of his ancestry is important to him or the media (it is not).

June 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • TonyaW

It stems from the "one-drop" rule in America. It was used to lable blacks as BLACKS and to ensure those blacks who looked white didn't mix with the white race. It also legally defined a person as black if they had ANY African ancestry. So when people ask why do blacks call themselves "African-American" I remark that it was not us, it has historically been driven by whites.

June 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gary kolenich

"I just shipped my pants," now thats an ad that caused a stir. CNN trying to cause a stir, failed. Maybe CNN is racist

June 1, 2013 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. floyd schrodinger

Loved the Kindle ad with the man and his "husband". Love the Cheerio ad with that adorable little girl. Gonna eat my Cheerios while reading off a Kindle. Down with hate and intolerance.

June 1, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. miscreantsall

"Let it be"

and who cares……….geesh

June 1, 2013 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. 1word

There is a place the racist will go, and it will not be pleasing. The sooner they repent for their ways the better.

June 1, 2013 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mtheumer

The commercial is hilarious! Could have been played by any couple, but kudos for expanding the definition of a normal family.

June 1, 2013 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. h

The controversy is kind of sad.

Martin Luther King, Jr – who unfortunately did not get a chance to live a long life due to the criminal murderous actions of a bigot – said we should judge other people by the content of their character and not by skin color.

What Dr King advocated makes sense to me personally – it is a more fair way to judge others. Nobody should be stereotyped just because of their external appearance.

Good apples and rotten apples come in all colors – and the same is true with people.

Never judge how tasty an apple will be just by its color.

I am Asian Indian. I remember a few years ago, we had a Chinese woman who married into our family. It raised eyebrows initially, but now nobody cares. This Chinese woman is now an part of our family, and they have cute Indian-Chinese kids.

June 1, 2013 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. h

I honestly had not noticed the racial composition of the family until all the controversy erupted.

I had seen the commercial before.

June 1, 2013 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
    • IndianaGreg

There is no "controversy". A YouTube video got trolled by some tweens-n-teens from 4chan, and CNN decides that it's proof of continued racial discourse in America. The entire premise of this article is trolling, not racism.

June 1, 2013 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
      • G_Edwards

Hear, hear!!!

Although the article acknowledges that the blogging section is a poor measure, it's the basis for the piece. Trolls will be trolls about any topic, just to cause a stir and get some attention for their pathetic peon lives.

June 1, 2013 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Trupador

I'd love to see the Dave Chapelle version of the Cheerios commercial.

June 1, 2013 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. IndianaGreg

I love how people in the comment section are falling all over themselves to be the loudest voice proclaiming how "Normal" a mixed-race couple is in their particular enlightened corner of the world (which is obviously more enlightened than where other people live)....yea, let me tell you something you're not going to like. I live in a small rural farming community in Indiana...the very definition of "Red State" (for those who choose to put a political spin on things). Mixed-Race couples are pretty darn "normal" around here to...contrary to popular belief, they don't get shunned to the back of restaurants or whispered about behind their backs. Now please, get over yourselves, and stop trying to participate in a race to see who can be the most "open minded".

June 1, 2013 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
    • gary kolenich

Like you just did. and you thought you were better, when it turns out you're not. Ha

June 1, 2013 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Scott

I don't think he was trying to say he was better, I think he was saying that where he's from, people don't really get worked up over it because it's normal.

June 1, 2013 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
      • IndianaGreg

And you're complete wrong...and missed the point by a mile. I was saying that all the Self-Righteous High-Horsing about how "tolerant" your own little corner of the world is (and thus implying that the rest of the world isn't as tolerant as yours) is a worthless argument because acceptance of bi-racial familes is not that rare...and other than some isolated places in the south, and in the inner-city ghettos, it is not "strange" or out of the ordinary...it's just two people getting together.

June 1, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. jodow

Hello?? Every video on YouTube has an inordinate amount of rude and distasteful comments below it, not just this one. Please CNN, don't make something out of nothing

June 1, 2013 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Best comment 've read in a week.

June 1, 2013 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

What? You're telling me someone would say something mean on the internet? Say it isn't so...

June 1, 2013 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ben

Are we missing the point entirely that the commercial is freakin hilarious?! Who cares what color the family is. That is a darn good commercial and however they choose to represent the family itself should be a non issue. Get over it, other white people.

June 1, 2013 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. buildlogs

There sure are a lot of bigots and racist left in the US, makes me glad I'v moved to Europe. The main problem with all the bigots and racist in the US are as follows.

1) total lack of education( you are all stupid)

2) your radical churches teach you to hate.

3)Most of you are fat and sit on your sofas eating fast food and watching fox news

Face it you bigots the landscape of the US is changing and you are now the minority

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • radzap

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Some folks can't take the truth.

June 1, 2013 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Psst, don't throw stones in your glass house, and get dressed in the basement.

June 1, 2013 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
    • stop

no argument here.

June 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Pat O.

It Amazes me that in this day and time we still see color. I don't see color, I see a person. And I know that I'm gonna get lots of replies from this comment, I don't care. Yes we all do have the right to our opinions. Actually I'm looking forward to the comments left with my statement. That way i can see who are the winners and losers. A mixed-race (as you call it) made a commercial, so what! So much racial crap! All the haters, racist (LOSERS). Come on you know who you are. You the ones who hide behind a screen. Not to worry folks because racist and haters only make up 18% of us out there but it seems worse because its these people who will comment the most.

White, black, brown, red, blue, green, and so on, these are colors, people are not. We are humans, that's it.

so now I wait to see who are the LOSERS or WINNERS. bet you I get more losers though. Prove me wrong America.

June 1, 2013 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
    • tj

It aint about skin color, it is about culture. A culture that consists of single teen mothers. A culture that is about black teen crime. It is about knives and guns It is about drugs, food stamps and welfare as a way of life.. Stop the BS

June 1, 2013 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Scott

But the cause of aspects of urban culture are not physically caused by skin color. Outside factors related to skin color may have caused some of the situation (lingering effects of the destruction of the black male role model and thereby the black family by Jim Crow laws, for example), but one's skin color does not automatically determine ones destiny.

June 1, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • jb1963

Well said. As a white man married to twice to black woman covering 30 years we've been subject to many slurs just walking the streets. Even when I am not with my wife I am subject to the stereotyping and insults from racist losers. I remember an employee in the company I worked for go on a rant about how the (n word) in this country are destroying it the should all be sent back to Africa along with the a.i.d.s they brought here. This was two weeks before our company holiday party and when I introduced my wife to him I said this is Paul who thinks you should go back to Africa and take your a.i.d.s. virus with you. He got all defensive claiming I was wrong it is not what I said. I called two of the other guys over who heard it and they confirmed it. Two weeks later Paul quit

June 1, 2013 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Scott

Wow, if there was ever a case of foot in mouth, that had to be it.

June 1, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
      • mixedchick

jb1963 I love you. Your wife is a very lucky woman. Your co-worker hopefully took a good long look in the mirror after that episode. Kudos. More people should have the courage to confront racism head on like you did. Bravo.

June 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ann

Awesome story, JB!!! Congrats to you and your wife. Wish I could have seen the look on Paul's face.

July 6, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mark

A rather one sided narrative. One only needs to look at the fatherless black households or STD rates among blacks to understand why some whites are uncomfortable with this. 47 percent of black women have genital herpes according to the CDC. With a culture of lethargios, poor etiquette, and misogyny, I find myself far more sympathetic to Latino, White, and Asian inter racial couples. Black culture is the least compatible from my experience.

June 1, 2013 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Mtheumer

"With a culture of lethargios, poor etiquette, and misogyny"

You seem to think this doesn't exist among other races. You only see the examples of poor Blacks acting out and you assume that this is ALL Blacks. You are no more educated than they are.

June 1, 2013 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Boanexus

Hi, Mark!! (Im black and see how respectful I am?) I thought stupid idiots and bigots and racists like you went out with the dinosaurs? I didn't know your kind still exists. The people who wrote the book on evolution and animals like you made a huge mistake. I think that, as do many human beings like myself, those scientists ought to go back and re-write their books. Like I said, animals, racists and bigots like you are, in fact, alive and well. Have a good day πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  19. Matthew

They weren't making a commercial in effort to push racial intergration. They were making it racially diverse to appeal to a larger portion of the market. It is a marketing firm that produces these, not a non-profit organization.

As for the comments, of course there were incredibly insensitive comments. That's because it is just a commercial, so you can be mean spirited without causing harm to the actors involved. Then you add in 'one-upmanship,' and it is just a matter of time before you have spammers calling for genocide of this or that.

June 1, 2013 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  20. zapper45701

Is there no end to the political tripe? It's a cereal commercial. Get over it. It's advertising. Move on. I don't particularly care for Cheerios, never did. I don't care who else eats them.

Anyone who makes this ad into something racial or political is just looking for a pot to stir. Hey, if you folks want to draw attention to your feeble little opinions, why don't you do something positive, like volunteer somewhere. Nursing homes, soup kitchens, scouts, youth groups, highway trash pickup, etc. are all looking for able bodied people to help out. Most of it doesn't take much brainpower, hence bigots and pundits can find a useful enterprise. Who knows? You might even learn something.

June 1, 2013 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. DebS

Kudos to General Mills for making this commercial. I live in the Chicago area so it is not uncommon to see people of mixed races in relationships. I was one of them. πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • IndianaGreg

Wow, really? You think that makes Chicago "enlightened"...I live in a small farm town in Indiana, and it's not uncommon around here either.

June 1, 2013 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Mtheumer

"I live in a small farm town in Indiana, and it's not uncommon around here either."

Sure it isn't.

June 1, 2013 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kenny A

saw this commercial a few times. cute little girl makes a mess with cereal. "I must of done that to my parents a hundred times when I was a kid," I thought. It never crossed my mind, the color of any of the person's skin in the commercial. Thanks Mom and Dad for never making the color of a person's skin a differentiating factor in any aspect of my childhood experience.

June 1, 2013 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. Brent Bongle

Why is this comment system different than the other comment system? And when I say different I mean much worse.

June 1, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  24. Scholar

The biggest thing is that the commercial was made at all.
    Wait until some company makes a commercial with two moms or two dads and the kids.
    That will have Fred Phelps apoplectic.

June 1, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Loathstheright

Uh, I think mr. Fred has lost it many, many years ago.

June 1, 2013 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

Then the sooner the better!

June 1, 2013 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

There are some, but only for niche markets. It will become mainstream in about four or five years, I think.

June 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Lizard Lance

Americans are thin-skinned, weak, looking for an excuse to feign offense, and seek to be victims. Anyone looking at this Cheerios ad and finding some basis of racism clearly has personal issues. Those personal issues make you an IDIOT! So there. Now you know. Glad I was able to help you.

June 1, 2013 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • cindy tyon

You need to take a look at yourself.

June 1, 2013 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jean-Pierre

I have taught genetics for 22 years. There is only one race. It is the human race. Anyone who thinks humans are divided into whites, blacks, Asians, etc biologically are mistaken. The United States has a big problem with understanding this simple concept. If America is ever to be a great nation, it must educate its populace.

June 1, 2013 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • MashaSobaka

"Race" is a social construct, yes. That does not mean it doesn't exist. Of course we need to educate people but to say that "race" is a non-issue is equally ignorant.

June 1, 2013 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  27. cindy tyon

You guys are funny.

June 1, 2013 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  28. KARRIE

I tape everything, so I don't have to even see a lot of commercials. Most of them are stupid anyway.

June 1, 2013 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. Leon

That girl probably would grow up to knock your socks off though, as long as she went to the gym, ate her vegetables and took it easy on the fried chicken, french fries and red beans and rice. Keep her on the sashimi & steamed veggies diet and in yoga class. Should turn out to be at least an 8.5 if not a 9.

June 1, 2013 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  30. Phaerisee

If these people knew how many multi-racial couples there are in Holy Scripture they would probably be horrified. It is 2013 and there are people out there who still judge people by their skin pigmentation. Just amazing.

June 1, 2013 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  31. Loathstheright

Civilized modern citizens should realize that there are 50 million bigoted, racist, conservatives in the country and until conservative ignorance is stamped out once and for all, we all will have to put up this hateful racism.

June 1, 2013 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Leon

And there's about 169 million indifferent ignorant liberal "sheeple" including 35 million blacks who are slaves to the democratic party, even though they haven't done anything to "move them on up" in about 60 years. You will have had a black democratic president for 8 years in this country in 2017 and there will have been no appreciable movement in the number of blacks graduating from college, the number of black men in jail, and the number of blacks below the poverty line. I'll bet when history looks at it you'll see that blacks fared better under Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, and Bush 2 than under the far left "leadership" of america's first democratic black president. What does that tell ya? Who's "the man" keepin' you down now?

June 1, 2013 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
      • cindy tyon

Tells me that its not about race.

June 1, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Lowell

You are the one keeping yourself down idiot!

June 1, 2013 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Loathstheright

Ah, the perfect example of what my post was pointing out....a hateful, racist rightie....how nice.

June 1, 2013 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  32. cindy tyon

This is a beautiful child. Thats what my initial thought was. Then I read and became aware of this irrational hatred. I try to protect my children from this crazy stuff. But it seems to permeate our society, and I wonder how long I can hold out before they are exposed to this crap. I want to protect they're innocence as long as possible. I want them to love everyone the way they do now. It makes me sad to read this stuff. Believe it or not, i am white, and i live in Mobile Alabama. Believe that not all of us are morons.

June 1, 2013 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dave

Right wing nonsense. They can never get past race. NOBODY else cares about race but them. It's a freaking Cheerios commercial. Anyone who has issues with it is out of their minds.

June 1, 2013 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  34. Big Surgar Eater

I am shocked – why can't the makers of Oreos (Nabisco) have made this commercial?

June 1, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Ha! best comment on here.

June 1, 2013 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Big Sugar Eater for president; hope you can do your race proud because you just did with the best and most relevant comment ever!

June 1, 2013 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  35. pj

I find it funny that people automatically think it is conservatives who hate this commercial. The biggest racists on the planet are liberals (see Louisiana Democratic Chairperson). Curious though, make the Dad white and the Mom black and watch the black community freak out.

June 1, 2013 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Juan

So vert True!

June 1, 2013 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • TxNita

Why would we freak out?

June 1, 2013 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I think it is interesting that you claim that liberals are more racist than conservatives, yet you offer as evidence exactly ONE person.

The liberals I know are not racist. Some of the conservatives are, but I do not like to use broad sweeping generalities. After all, some are not. In fact, I think the characterization of people as LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE is pretty narrow thinking. Politics should not be the defining characteristic of a person.

One family I know, for example, could be characterized as conservative. They have done missionary work in many countries. They adopted a girl from Guatemala. They believe in Global Warming. They help out at a local soup kitchen. They have many interracial friends, and they always vote for more public school funding, even though their kids attend a private (religious) school. Why use one word to describe them?

June 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Derek

This stikes a central nerve with me on 2 fronts. I am a divorced african american man who is the father of 2 boys from an El Salvadorian mother. We live in Calabasas, CA and have never felt any issues because of Race. On another front, my girlfriend is Persian/Jewish. Her father has displayed some of the most inflamatory racist remarks and comments I have ever experienced. He has told her daughter she can date anything but Black! He blames the culture, and says he doesnt want anyone in his community to know she has a black boyfriend. But , If I were Kobe Bryant, that would be different.
    This commercial is adorable. I have seen it and didn't notice until the 3rd time that it was a mixed family. My hats off to Cheerios. I am sure this is merely the beginning. I personally know of 40 or more mixed race families in my area alone. I have to imagine this is the beginning of showing a true reflection of our modern day America.

Thanks General Mills. You got it right!

June 1, 2013 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jean-Pierre

Very well put, Derek. I don't know why people act the way they do. I think it is about their insecurities and not about you.

June 1, 2013 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jennifer

Since when has junk food been good for your heart?

June 1, 2013 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Since it became delicious like Cheerios and a source of healthy racial discourse.

June 1, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  38. Cheerios are poison

Cheerios are made with GMOs. Don't eat them, as they might kill you! Loved the commercial. It's about time...

June 1, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Yes, Cheerios might kill you...if you try to swallow too many at one and choke on them. Seriously...

June 1, 2013 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  39. Scott

Agree, why this is an issue at all in this day and age is really too bad, but as usual it is a minority who's making it an issue. But racists come from the left and the right, don't kid yourselves. All of you political idiots need to shut up, especially you left wing whack jobs who say stupid things like "manufacturing Obama scandals" or some such Tea Party crap. And you friggin' idiot who said 'the father will be gone shortly' or some such thing. You people, all of you, are the problem in this country and you're all so damn arrogant you're blind to it. Get a life all of you.

June 1, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  40. pickettman

Great commercial and that's all there is to THAT!

June 1, 2013 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  41. JohnCarr

I'm a 61 year old white male, and I think it's about time the ad companies start showing families as they truly are here in the U.S. They need to start adding more racial mixing as life really is like: Mexican+white, African American+Mexican,
    African American+Asian, White+Asian, and so on so on so forth !!!

June 1, 2013 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  42. Eric J. Beck

Bizarre that this is even an issue in this day and age. And what's really weird is that we are seeing more and more what a racist country this really is. Granted, the extreme racists (everybody is a little racist) are in a minority, but still...There is clearly a large faction in this country that literally wants the US to remain white Christian dominated, and are willing to commit violent acts in pursuit of that!

June 1, 2013 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

???? Violent acts? What violent acts? Where is a young black man in more danger, walking down the street in a small town in Nebraska or the south side of Chicago? Who has killed more young black men, overzealous neighborhood watchmen or other young black men? Seems to me the answer is to get blacks out of the cities and in to the rest of the country as much as possible.

June 1, 2013 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

Violence is more a product of population density than anything else, including race. Everybody is more at risk in a city – not because black thugs roam the streets but because high populations create all the building blocks for crime (disparate wealth levels, anonymity, lack of local community structure, easier access to weapons and drugs and experienced criminals).

Sure, moving to the suburbs – or the countryside – is safer, but it is not for everyone, and it lacks a lot of opportunities that cities have.

June 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. mentallect

This ad terrifies Tea Party, GOP, Conservatives. It isn't the 1950s anymore.

June 1, 2013 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  44. Michael

Silly Tea Partiers are spending their time throwing a fit about this? You'd think they'd have better things to do, like manufacturing another "scandal" to try to impeach Obama over.

June 1, 2013 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • bannister

Who said anything about the Tea Party?

Go back to worshiping your puppet.

June 1, 2013 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Nice straw man, no one said anyting about the tea party. You just assumed it, and you know what assuming does...

June 1, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  45. traci63

I saw that commercial the other day, and only now realized that it's a mixed race family. All that I saw were two loving parents, and a sweet little girl who cares about her Daddy's health. How can that be wrong? Bravo Cheerios for representing this reality for many Americans!

May 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. whoopitydoo2

Talk about a self generated "stir" created by the liberal media. I hadn't even noticed this commercial and they're saying people are going nuts b/c of it. Seriously liberals! Grow up!

May 31, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zig

Don't look know, but your ignorance is showing.

June 1, 2013 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  47. Flakes

Yea, dream on. Just because you're destined for 50 year old virgin- hood.

May 31, 2013 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Beefburger

I am caucasian/Native American, my wife is Filapina/Chinese (of course with the Spanish thrown in the Philippine side for good measure). It makes for a whole lot of checkmarks for our son on the census form. PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS! Btw, yes, Cheerios does drop your bad cholesterol from the action of the oat fiber, in 3 months it took mine down 30 points (but this was also while adding more garlic to my diet as well)

May 31, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

The fact that you were actively monitoring your food intake probably helped, too. Sometimes just being aware if what you eat can make a significant impact on health.

Regardless of why it happened, though, I am glad you have your cholesterol under control.

June 1, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  49. D35TR00

Cute video. I would love to see more of the sorts.

May 31, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Flakes

Har, Har! So the bigots all spit their Cheerios out when they saw this ad. That's a pretty cute kid; her future will be bright
    and those anti-types will be dead.

May 31, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ohsnap

Waaay overdue. This is what families are looking like these days and they should be represented as well. Bravo Cheerios!!

May 31, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. SPW

Eventually these people will be outspoken in the real world as they are on the internet.

This is the side effect of multiculturalism and you can certainly expect it to hit a breaking point

May 31, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Prejudice and racism are not products of multiculturalism. They are aspects of our species' innate xenophobia, and they manifest most strongly during times of war and times of economic crisis. The fact that they are on the rise now is not surprising, but it is not an indictment against multiculturalism.

If you want to see the effects of multiculturalism, look at how we treat Irish people or German people – both immigrant groups that faced strong prejudice a century ago. Now... pretty much none.

Heck, look at how the country feels about Hispanic people now versus 30 years ago – sure there is still a load of hostility, but there are also Hispanic teachers, Hispanic businessmen. Hispanic doctors, in real life and in our popular TV sitcoms (a snapshot of at least part of the American subconsciousness). Overt prejudice may be on the rise, but overt acceptance is likewise on the rise.

I predict that in two generations we will look back at much of this racism as if it were unfathomable that people could think that way... unless of course we have another war.

June 1, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  53. Get it right.

After the dad leaves, mom will never get a date again. Scarlet Letter.

May 31, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

Not sure why black men get a bad rap. My ex husband is black and my daughter is bi-racial. She is also GORGEOUS! My ex husband takes very good care of her and we communicate very well. My current boyfriend is white. Yes, I did get a date after my divorce and my boyfriend loves my daughter. This is life people, get over it!

June 1, 2013 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Carson Thaler

It's true.... seen it with my own eyes

June 1, 2013 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Fred

So true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 1, 2013 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  54. Joey

There were three things that stood out for me in the commercial. (1) The adorable kid. (2) Mom (General Mills) trying to connect the oats to a healthy heart. I'm not sold that Cheerios once a week will make my heart healthier. and (3) The thing that caught my attention the most was the sitcom a the end with the dad waking up with Cheerios on his heart. 90% of my take away was the humor, which I enjoyed. The racial thing was not memorable really. If I didn't see the commercial as a result of the ad, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's just not that a big of a deal to me. For the record: I am 100% Mexican-American married to a green-eyed Scotch-Irish "white" girl. I guess both of our kids are biracial if we want to go there, so maybe I am already "desensitized" and not a good candidate for opinion. Hell, I thought I was white growing up in the middle of no-where Texas. It wasn't until I got married that I realized I wasn't. Hah-Hah

20 years ago, my soon to be sister-in-law came to me and asked me how I felt about the whole biracial thing. That is when the light bulb went off for the first time. My response was for her not to worry, that it would be OK, once my family got to know Suzy, they loved her and accepted her. LOL

May 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

I totally disagree with the commercial. What the hell is wrong with all white families and all black families? What's so adorable about a brown kid with an afro?

May 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joey

I find lots of kids adorable. White, black, yellow and all mixed up. I also think some are not so adorable. So, it's not like I am a softie. Let me state another way, I don't find all biracial people physically appealing. Sometimes the aesthetic works for me, sometimes it doesn't. Our brains are wired for certain things beginning with symmetry, healthiness, voice tenor, cadence, the size of the eyes (the ratio of eyes to body are larger in children because we are born with adult sized eyes). The child's eye-2-face ratio is of the things that makes children "adorable" to "normal" people in particular women of childbearing age. Evolution aside, I guess some people are still Neanderthals. Maybe they prefer the eyes on that banjo playing joker from Deliverance. Do you have squinty inbred eyes? Dude, evolution favors hybrid-vigor which you catch in 1st generation mixed babies. It is a really good idea for the species to mix it up every once in awhile. Basic genetics. You do your own thing though brother and get some sunglasses.

May 31, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jean-Pierre

Nothing is wrong with all white families. Nothing is wrong with with white black families either.

June 1, 2013 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  55. Winkie

Long overdue. It has been hinted at by a couple of other TV commercials over the past year but I'm glad someone actually came out and showed that, yes, African-Americans and Whites can like each other enough to live together and produce children. Geez! Imagine that. Like we don't all know that's an everyday thing already.

May 31, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Gregory M. Bruce

As a guy who has written copy for most of his adult life, who is Black and has such a daughter I am really amazed that nobody sees the genius written into the little girl's lines as juxtaposed with the good sell job of the Cheerio brand in the context of heart health and the fact the most Black men suffer from high blood pressure and heart-related ailments , which ipso-facto Cheerios can help alleviate. And has anyone even gotten that she poured all the cereal right over his sleeping heart? That, my friends, is the punch line.

May 31, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

We had a similar reaction, but have a similar background. I guess it is all about lens and perspective and what you focus on or choose not to. It's not a matter of "fixing stupid", it is relational. People who have experienced something themselves have to fill in the blanks and invent a reaction. There you have it IMHO. This is really about experiential ignorance.

May 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • S Jo

Wow. Thank you for the insight about the commercial Captain Obvious.

May 31, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I do think most people got that the Cheerios were poured over hs heart...

I did not know that high blood pressure and heart disease are common in black men, but I did know they were common in ALL men – for example, I am white and the two ailments run in my family. For what it's worth, I got the same reaction as you did – I did not see a black man on the couch – I saw a man like me with a young daughter. The fact that his skin color was different than mine did not make him in any way unrelatable.

June 1, 2013 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  57. Kimberlee

Looks like us! I am a white step mother of a 6-yr old African stepdaughter who lives with us right now.

May 31, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • wade

I think you just proved the nay sayers point.

May 31, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Nick

Interracial ads are more common place today. HOWEVER, the trend is to only show two variations: Black man with White woman –and– White man with Asian woman. Why is that??? If you are going to do "bi-racial" then be more inclusive.

May 31, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Mu

Exactly. This is why this commercial is problematic. It reinforces cliche mixed unions and implicitly excludes others.

May 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

And this is why it's pointless trying to please the p.c. police. There will always be just one more demand.

June 1, 2013 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Mark Mu

No, the hypocrisy of liberals and the PC police is being called out. You can't call for racial equality but deem some races more equal than others. You can't ask for racial blindness when all you see are certain kinds of racial unions and others are belittled and dismissed. Don't pretend to be "liberal" if your open-mindedness only opens a certain way.

June 1, 2013 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  59. concernedcitizen

In California, we usually have two cheerios comercialls back to back.

I will describe them and let you draw the conclusions.

One, a white woman is gently talking to her baby and the baby picks up and eats the cheerios just like the mom did when she was young.

Then, the next one has a black dad with his back turned, his older son steals all the cheerios from the baby, and the dad turns around and says "the cheerioes bandit got you again!"

Do any obviously racial stereotypes come to mind?

May 31, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cassandra

I have the answer to all the world's probles, God should just wipe us all out and start over.

June 1, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Leon

He will. In about 500 million years our planet will no longer be habitable and the balance of gases on the planet will change and our oceans will evaporate. Or MERS could wipe out half the population in the next 5 years and famine and nuclear war could take care of the other half. He'll start over with the bees and in another 5 million years they will have "hive ships" that travel into space at near light speed.

June 1, 2013 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Boanexus

Seriously, are YOU normal??

June 1, 2013 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

You might be reading something into it. The message I got was that the black man was taking time with his kids, being a part of their lives. The stealing was sibling rivalry to me, nothing more.

I think they chose to portary a black dad with his kids because of the fact that black men are less likely to live with their kids – or at least the were in the 1990s (I have not seen data from the 2000s or later). The fact that the dad is helping to raise the kids is a very positive message, making that dad into a role model (and hence making his choice of cereal seem more valid). The fact that his interaction with his kids involves light teasing is typical of how Americans view the role of fathers in general.

The brother's choice to take the Cheerios suggests that they are of value – implying they are worth buying – rather than suggesting that the brother is a criminal. Cheerios producers thought long and hard about word choice, and the word 'bandit' is pretty much never associated with the criminal activities of black youths. Thus the comment by the father invokes a sense that he knows how his sons interact, rather than a sense that his elder son is on track to be a gang member.

The white woman bonding closely with her baby was also chosen for a deliberate reason – it invokes the sense of love, safety and trust most people feel as babies towards their mothers. That bond has traditionally been portrayed as more gentle than the one with the father, so Cheerios is trying to make you think that good, nurturing mothers buy Cheerios or their babies... so you should, too.

June 1, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  60. Edwin

I think it is an AMAZING ad and VERY long overdue.

That said, I did note that the company cleverly designed the ad to avoid showing any actual interaction between the mom and dad – even between the white woman and her biracial daughter. Most ads tend to place family members a bit closer to each other – to more closely emphasize positive emotional bonds. While there is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in the behaviors of the people in this particular ad, the fact that Cheerios chose to set the ad up this way says to me that they were very concerned about fallout.

May 31, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  61. jw

I am so used to multi-racial families that this ad makes me feel at home–so normal. We have whites, blacks and asians in our family structure–everyone is mixed, and I grew up with mixed families that came from the military with white and black soldiers marrying brides from Europe and Asia. This type of commercial is LONG OVERDUE!!!

May 31, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  62. 808

Normal in Hawaii......

May 31, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jw

So true. Being mixed with even 12 different nationalities is the norm in Hawaii, and it's all oh-so-beautiful!!

May 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Flakes

When you live in a geographical spaceship, it's only natural you get along. Pay attention world.
        BTW, I miss Don HO.

May 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  63. pblady

Bravo, Cheerios! Families come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, races, religions, et al. Just attend a gathering of my family . . .

May 31, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Weldzilla

Show me one ad in America that shows a white man with a black woman. It is not going to happen. So how bout we not patronize companies that advertise black man / white woman. Before any of you spout off how I am a racist, show me i am wrong. Lets analize why the demographic exists. Are black women being phased out? Show all possibilities.

May 31, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I think you do not understand that this is a step forward. So what if Cheerios only chose to make one version (black man, white woman)? At least they made AN ad with an interracial couple. That is more than can be said for almost all other companies.

May 31, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Person

"Not going to happen"? Earth to bigot: it's already happened. That's what this article is all about.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

Forget about advertising, just look at Loving vs Virgina, a great love story between a white man and a black woman. One of the greatest love stories ever told.

May 31, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam_UT

Weldzilla, did you never watch that little show called 'Lost'? You know, it had a white male and a black female as a couple.

May 31, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Weldzilla

Wow, you showed me! I will never be the same. Now that you have found the 1 in the 1000:1 ratio, try opening your eyes and mind.

June 1, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • annmjsfrenchie

The Ikea commercial with the couple going to bed. They flop on the bed together.

May 31, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Weldzilla

Well done annmjsfrenchie. Now keep watching. You may be sharp enough to see what I am talking about. And about me being a racist, I will easily admit that I am less racist than every black person in this country.

June 1, 2013 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Dejavu65

Hey stupid maybe you don't see more white guys with black women is because maybe they are more worried about what their friends who are racist like you will say...I don't see many white guys even trying to date outside their race most are too consumed with having a woman with blonde hair...!!

June 1, 2013 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Ma'am, this is the other side of this very irrelevant coin with regard to interracial relationships; you cant use your stereotypes as a measure of informed opinion because it is an endless argument about perspective and significance. For example, as a black man, I can offer up my opinion from my experience that most black women swear by the desire to date only black men so the corollary is that it's not society stopping them it's a matter of it being less likely by the choice of black women. True? Why should we care; a loving relationship is the best thing no matter the race.

June 1, 2013 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
    • legumepod

Several in my community/church. One has been married over 52 years and have been through it all when racistis like youself gave them a hard time.

June 1, 2013 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • VladT

What about the married couple from "The Jeffersons?"

June 1, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  65. Rat Bazturd

What the vile comments point out, is that clearly, despite all the apologists' naysaying, racism is still alive and strong in America. They can claim it doesn't exist anymore, but they are wrong. The struggle is not over yet.

I believe their numbers are decreasing, as the older folks die off, but there are still a significant number of racists out there.

May 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Sad,y, I think you are wrong. Racism is on the increase, as more and more extremist views are presented as 'reasonable' or 'normal'. State of the art propaganda research has shown that a well crafted PR campaign can – fairly quickly – change the views of a significant portion of the viewership. This has been used by crafty political groups to alter the framework of the national discussions on race.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • bannister

Crafty political groups who use propaganda to shape the national conversation on race?

You mean the Jews?

June 1, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

Actually, bannister, I would use your post as a validation of my point that racism is indeed in the rise and that people are far more comfortable believing and posting about their prejudices than a generation ago...

June 1, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • wut

the statement "More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon" actually has sociological evidence behind it whether the respondent was aware of it or not. Unfortunate, but valid.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Actually, wut, that trend is hopefully reversing itself. There was indeed a generation where black fathers were significantly more absent from families than their peers, but that has changed a lot in the last ten or so years.

Regardless, it would not apply to the family in this commercial – the absent father syndrome occurred primarily due to economic stresses and incarceration rates. The family in this commercial is clearly economically comfortable – as evident by their house, their clothes and their lifestyle – and the dad is clearly not in jail or involved in criminal activity.

Note: in no way do I mean to imply that black men leave their families in general – most of my daughter's friends are from interracial families that struggle financially, and none of the fathers are absent – but the statistics from the 1970s through the late 1990s are very dramatic. Hopefully the trend is over.

June 1, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  66. pauleky

Let the haters hate. Carry on, Cheerios!

May 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. d0gdre8mz

i don't like it. doesn't matter to me "what everybody else is doing."

May 31, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  68. silencedogood

I'm in an interracial family and am the proud father of bi-racial sons. That said, we will be raising them as Americans, not hyphenated americans. Nor do we need a commercial, or anyone else for that matter, to validate our love or family. Its always nice to see others like us, but frankly I could care less. If people like us, cool. If they don't that's their problem that they can't be happy in their own life and I couldn't care less about their opinion.

May 31, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Fiona

When I saw this commercial I didn't even notice the racial mix. That "family" is normal for my community.

May 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. memememe27

awww...that little girl is adorable!

May 31, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  71. LEE

I saw this commercial today for the first time and did not know of the furer it was causing. My first thoughts were "what a cute little girl" Then when I saw her father I rewound it just to see if, in fact, the woman she was speaking to she called "Mom". After that I thought, what a great ad !!! Showing something different then your white bread American family. Applause to General Mills....I think it's grrrrrrrrrreat !! : )

May 31, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Really?! My first thought was "what a hot mom!" Then immediately, what is that little terrorist up to? Race was besides the point because I laughed out loud when daddy woke up with Cheerios over his heart.

June 1, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  72. HenryMiller

Optiob two: much ado about nothing.

May 31, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  73. porttack

Long over due. Every family in America should have at least one bi-racial member. Harder to hate when your family is racial integrated. Bi-racial families can only make America stronger, wiser, and more compassionate.

May 31, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get it right.

That doesn't work. My cousin got knocked up and had a bi-racial baby. She hasn't been invited to a family get together since. It has been 5 years. Only two family members have talked to her. And, she is broke, and he is gone and not supporting the kid, as is normal.

May 31, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chris

You've just shown that your family is just as bad as the guy who left her.

May 31, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mirror1

would actually be laughable if not so sad. "she hasn't been invited to a family get together since". Here's a thought – ask the "family" to pretend to be human. It's all it really takes

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Fred Evil

Wow, and you think the guy who ISN'T related her is the jerk?
        Methinks this is just a story to bash black people. That way you're just a racist, instead of a complete AH AND a racist.

June 1, 2013 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
      • legumepod

And why aren't you visiting your cousin? Are you too busy gossiping or are you there helping this poor soul? There are at least 3 multiracial couples at my church, one of them has 5 beautiful children and another 4. Perhaps in your world "it doesn't work that way" but in reality it does...all the time.

June 1, 2013 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

I would point out how awful your family has been towards one of their own, it others have beaten me to it. If you are old enough to type on a computer, you are old enough to make a change in how your family treats her.

Take it upon yourself to visit her if possible. If she is too far away or you are otherwise unable (for example if you are in junior high school and cannot go into the big city by yourself) then you can write her a letter, or a card. Show her that somebody actually cares. Maybe you will cause a rift in your family – but if you live in a family that thinks it is okay to ostracize someone for having a bi-racial baby then it that discussion is LONG overdue.

You cannot control whether the rest of your family are racist jerks, but you CAN control your own actions. It is possible that you might help make a change for the better in your family – but even if that does not happen, doing what you know is right will make YOU a stronger, better person.

June 1, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
      • sanityrules

This exact thing also happened in my family. The girl was not ostracized at all. I think she still feels a little awkward, and it is a little weird at family reunions. None of us ever met the baby daddy. She was young , fell for this cool black dude, got pregnant and that was it. She says he was loser.

It seems to me young white girls love showing how progressive they are by dating cool black guys. It's like a status thing among their circle of friends.

I didn't mind the commercial at all. In fact I didn't even notice the multi-racial component at all. However, I have to wonder why the media always shows a Black man with a white woman and never vice versa.

June 4, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  74. Disect-It

Whenever there is an ad on TV with whites and blacks they always portray the black giving advice and wisdom to the white.

May 31, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • PC=No Common Sense

LOL!!!! you are right!! I thought I was the only one noticing that.. And we all know based on statistics that whites/asians have invented everything meaningful in the world. Also look at the non arab sections of Africa and npn White assisted South Africa... How far has the rest actually advanced? A good reflection on blacks as a whole, but you could look at Detroit too as example. They just want to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Let's face it

June 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe5

When two races combine genetically, black genetics dominate. I will say the little girl in the commercial is a cute little girl.

June 19, 2013 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • ATLdoogie

You're exactly right, I've noticed it too. The white guy is always the dummy.

June 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe5

I'll go a little further then that. If you watch much TV and the prolific commercials they have, you'll notice that they make white males look or act the dumbest. A black of either gender or a white female is always giving a white male advice. It's no doubt biased. And the trend seems to be a black male paired with a white female. What's going on here?
      One more thing. I just retired from a major airline maintenance base so I was exposed many employee's of a very diverse workforce. My spouse of over forty years has Mexican roots and is bilingual. What I noticed in those thirty years of work was that although many of us were married to other races....not one was married or dated a black lady. Going to restaurants and public places it's not uncommon to see the opposite. It begs a question.

June 19, 2013 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  75. Eric

Can't we all just get along. I think more than half of my FB friends are multi-racial. lol. Being a Filipino, my multi-racialness is integrated. lol.

May 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Thomas Greteman

It is much ado about nothing as far as a mixed couple in an advertisement I say, so what!. What IS much ado about something is that we've come a long way in a short time. I wholeheartedly applaud and support this ad!

May 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Chrisjd1965

It is really sad. When I saw this commercial I said to myself isn't that cute. Thats it no thought of the color of anyone in it. It is cute.....nothing more nothing less when will we all just see each other as people....

May 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Chaz

I'm so puzzled by CNN's posting of this story. What's the purpose of it? Is this to prove how not racist you are? Or, is it to bait Fox News into replying? This is a non-story that was specifically written to give suburban whites the feel-good outlet to share just how inclusionary they are when they chat with the others as they drop off junior at the parochial school in their BMW X5.

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  79. 5giggy5

Trafficing Humans in Europe is awful, and people who live in the Applalachias of America don't graduate at all from high schools, yet those issues don't define the average white American. So, from a family of educated African American people with many friends who crossed over that theshold your argument of inferiorities don't hold up in the general population of the haves and the have not'.

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  80. mary

The diversity that is represented in this country is one of the great things about this country. So why shouldn't that diversity be represented in our commercials as well? Our families come in so many different shapes and sizes. Just because something is different from your normal doesn't make it wrong or bad. I didn't give this commercial a second thought until I saw the article and read the comments that were posted below it. It is a shame that there are still so many people who are so narrow minded. Why couldn't this just be commercial about a cute little girl looking out for her dad's well being?

May 31, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  81. 5giggy5

About time we start getting busy talking and dialoging race in this country. America is diversed and becoming more and the only people who are left out are the ones who can't find someone to relate to who is not of the same nationality or is not a family member. but will come to past. Bot I'm happy to see a story that digest the nature of humans and causes.

May 31, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Captain

I don't like it and don't think the media should shove this type of propaganda down our throats. I don't care what people do, and they have they right to do it. I also have the right to not like it. I won't buy their product anymore.

May 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Minerva from Los Angeles

Little girl is too cute!! Lovely ad, showing typical family. SO VERY NICE TO SEE INTERRACIAL COUPLE, MIXED ETHNIC CHILD, AND NORMAL LOVING FAMILY RELATIONS! HURRAY FOR THE USA!!! This Ad should be an example of what we SHOULD SEE moving forward in time. It made me very happy to see this! Cute too!

May 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • PC=No Common Sense

How about just hiring the best person for the job that gave the best interview without cherry picking? God I wish I could murder all the HR people in the world.

June 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  84. aaron

Much ado about nothing. The actors in the ad are just people like the rest of us.

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Flyforawhiteguy

Yeah, I just spoke with the Black Guerillas and Black Panther Party and they are planning a coup to marry every white woman they find with the hope of destroying all white people. Get it together and come out from the rock you've been under.

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Dave

Black folks ought to be upset because the Cheerios people stereotypically chose to have the child use ppor grammar – "Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?"

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarsumm

it's called Ebonics, idiot. And it's a language. Just as much as anyone else's.

May 31, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mirror1

the grammar's correct; no such thing as ebonics – just bad grammar!!

June 1, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Ebonics is an excuse to enable language mediocrity and deficiency.

June 3, 2013 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • ChiefPete

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any grammar issues in the little girl's statement.

May 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • 5giggy5

Not at all, we are proud of our different ways and respect others do be a versitle. That is really one of the main reasons white woman marry black men because of their compassion.

May 31, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Compassion? They act like arrogant tough-guy thugs who think everything should come their way.

June 3, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • neko

That actually was a typo good sir. It you actually watch and listen the video, you will hear the little girl say it correctly. Thank you

May 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erasmus

The girls like five years old Dave, some slack please! And as for "PPOR" grammar, should of used a Cheeri"O" instead of a "P", LOL.

May 31, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Karl Marx

People need to realize, this could lead to fruit loops and even cocoa pebbles !

May 31, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

You should thank your Lucky Charms.

May 31, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gmoney

very nice πŸ˜‰

May 31, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Mark Mu

If Cheerios really wanted to portray a black/white couple, it should have gone against stereotype and featured a white male and black female. Black men / white women unions reinforce a host of negative stereotypes both inter and intra-racially, and between black men and black women.

May 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gmoney

Oh you're really asking for trouble now πŸ™‚

May 31, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaq

I'm a white male married to a black female, (19 years, 3 daughters). I don't get that our marriage is against any "interracial stereotype". Our girls are all achievers. I don't care what people in commercials look like. They're just selling stuff. I don't get the newsworthiness of this. Just trying to stir up some fake controversy to make some news, since news outlets don't seem to know what their job is these days.

May 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • gemno

Agreed. For some reason the WF/BM combo appears trendy at the moment and is appearing everywhere .. even news crews. Does that somehow make them diverse? Nothing new .. just a new twist on stereotyping. If they really wanted to do something different how about WF/AM or AF/BM? Making new generalizations isn't cool .. it's just a new kind of sick .. especially when used for some shock and awe viral marketing by a "traditional" large corporate marketing group. That's probably one of the reasons folks are getting upset. I know I don't appreciate it.

June 2, 2013 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  89. GonzoG

I'd hoped we were past this kind of crappola. SCOTUS struck down the misogyny laws in 1967. Very good year. Almost as old as I am. That's 46 years.

Give it 10 years for the real jerks to realize they lost and shall not "rise again".
    and a generation for the old bastages that wrote the old law to die off.

This should have NO LONGER MATTERED a long time ago.
    DNA science has proven that there is more genetic variation between two neighbors than two races.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RACE-WE ARE HUMAN!

May 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • GonzoG

And the little girl is ADORABLE!

May 31, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mountainlady

Good post. Anyone having a cow about this ad must not get out much. Mixed race families are everywhere and they make the most gorgeous children. DNA science has proven that "race" does not exist. The comments from people objecting to this tell us that too many folks are trapped in the 1950's and are ignorant as well.

May 31, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gmoney

Hear, hear

May 31, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Constant reader

Actually, this ad could reflect the family of Associate Justice Clarence Thomas and his wife Virginia (if they had had children).

May 31, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

Oh aren't you just so clever with your most pathetically ridiculous politicizing post of pointlessness.

May 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  91. KellyDFW

Seen the commercial a few times, didn't notice it was a mixed family until I saw the article. Good for GM, people are people.

May 31, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Rdrago

The comments here on CNN appear much more positive/civil than the ones on other news sites. The WashPost site's comments are filled with some pretty hateful comments and some very subtle/hidden racist comments, including ignorant comments equating Republicans/Conservatives with racists.

May 31, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Terry

You are all wrong. They wanted to put a cute kid in the ad. Mixed kids tend to be cute (yes, my opinion). So, they needed to have a mixed couple as "Mom and Dad." Given the history of slavery in the USA, the last thing they wanted to show was a Black woman and a White man (too much "slave master" imagery). It is safer to show a Black man and a White woman. (me: White man, wife: Black, kids: mixed and really beautiful)

May 31, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  94. LouAZ

Everyone has this all wrong. Look at the Mommie. She is clearly an alien from the planet Venus. We have been incaded and are doomed ! But General Mills doesn't care. They will sell Cheerios to any creature with money. Oh, the horror !

May 31, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Thinkergal

I will buy enough to make up for you.

May 31, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Thinkergal

I noticed the commercial the first time I saw it and thought,"How wonderful." Children are children, and families are families, no matter what their makeup. I'm going buy some Cheerios tomorrow. The day will come when this is no longer an issue about which we need even comment.

May 31, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • RTW

I bought more Cheerios than usual after seeing this. It's about time that real families are shown on TV. Shame on the petty, closed-minded, archaic people who find fault with reality. What year is this anyway? Geez!

May 31, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Sherry

Bribarian, at first glance I thought your name was Barbarian! I don't think Cheerios cares whether you buy a box of their cereal or not. Thank goodness you don't represent most people responding to the Cheerios commercial. You are going to be a very unhappy person, times are changing and multi-racial families have been around for a long time. Get use to it, because it's not going away!!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  98. The Watch Dog

Steve you are the imbecile of all imbeciles. That's exactly what this ad tries to promote. Marriage relations between black man and white woman and its wrong wrong wrong. If you want to promote this, then you must also include other races as well. Promote white man and black woman, or Asian man and black woman, or Hispanic man and black woman, etc. We always see the black man with other 'non-black' woman in ads, movies, etc.
    Why can't they promote equally all other races?

May 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  99. S

I have an interracial marriage: I'm African-American and my husband is Caucasian. We were just saying that we are noticing more interracial couples on TV and in real life. I was teased a lot by family members about the fact I dating both inside and outside my race. My husband's mother did not agree with him dating someone outside his race, but that was her problem. I always amazes at me how ignorant some people can be.

May 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

I meant 'It always amazes me.......'

May 31, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Runnner

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I really like the fact that the parents are married (he is wearing a wedding ring!)

May 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |