May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,494 Responses)
  1. bubu

How about comments like "let me know when its open season on illegals" that one runs into in the comments section of immigration news

June 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. beisbolfan

Why does CNN invite posts and then never allow them. I wrote a response to this simply stating a fact: most white people do not want their daughter to have a black baby. And THAT is considered too horrible to post? CNN does NOT welcome a "lively and courteous" discussion. CNN ONLY allows politically correct opinions, period.

June 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

false – This "white" woman with her "white" family would welcome any child of any color as long as there was love and respect. Don't give me that "majority" crap. Times are changing!

June 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsl

You're obviously a liar considering we just read your post. Why do you go troll elsewhere with you racism and hatred.

June 1, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

And most non-whites partic from asian cultures do not want their children having marrying into the white race & having 1/2 white children, so u see it is on both sides.

June 2, 2013 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • anita

And most non-whites (esp from other cultures) do not want their children having marrying into the white race & having 1/2 white children, so u see it is on both sides.

June 2, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fletch

Love this commercial! Love it! About time they showed a NORMAL interracial family. And I agree, the racism thing is overblown. A few idiot morons out there don't define the vast majority of decent people here in the US and does NOT define the US as a racist country. Bravo, General Mills.

PS. don't be surprised if a lot of those racists are other black people. We've already had prominent black celebs come out and say they don't like IR couples (Jill Scott, Common).

June 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

I can't believe (it is not butter and) how backwards people are who have an issue with interracial couples. Kudos for putting this ad on TV and I would like to see more of it.

June 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Phillip Bunn

There is certainly nothing wrong with the family structure presented here, but Cheerios is simply trying to market a product, so to them its all about money, media marketing techniques, and how they can best be exploited.

June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

It's not the family "structure" that is the problem. Duh.

June 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • pinny dinster

when I saw the ad, I threw out the cheerios. WHY? the ad made me sick.

June 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mike

I threw it out too. I'll never buy another one of their products. The last thing this country needs is an organization that big normalizing what is not. If that was the way things are supposed to be, sheep would have longer legs and cows shorter.

June 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • jamison

I would rather have this family live next door to me than some hypocritical evangelical white trash.

June 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bilbo

Frankly, I'd rather throw you out in with the trash and keep the Cheerios. The Cheerios is good for my health and won't make me sick to my stomach like you.

June 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

wow, amazing the level of racism this ad has brought in what white people think, rest-assured, many non-whites do not think too differently from u on this issue, they don't want the dissolution of their race with the white race.

June 2, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Skeptimist

You make a good point. Perhaps the wider story is that a commercial advertiser would spend big bucks producing an ad that most of us simply enjoy while being willing to go "in your face" against the remaining miscreants who are out there. I applaud General Mills for this contribution to decency.

June 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Southernsuga

I saw the ad today. It was disgusting. I thought it was photo shopped, as no one was in the same room and their faces were not pointed in the direction of the other person. It should still be against the law, to marry outside the race. Disgusting.

June 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • gman

Amen! Well said indeed!

June 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

It should be against the law to allow ignorant uneducated people like you get married period. Yet, you still have rights just like everyone else. Know why? BECAUSE WE'RE ALL THE FREAKING SAME!

June 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • nsl

Exactly right.

June 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • owleyes11

I agree. My Chinese grandparents didn't want their daughter to marry a white man back in 1918, but married they did. We have to keep the Chinese blood pure without any contamination from the whites.

June 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TAK

Southernsuga, it's people like you that make me think that eugenics isn't such a bad idea.

June 1, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

This right here? This is why White people should learn to stop talking sometimes.

I'm mixed race and I hope my very existence aggravates you.

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

So many people agree w/ u, they prefer it when other cultures do not marry into the white race, they prefer that they preserve their own culture.

June 2, 2013 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kyle

"Diversity" = Death for the White race.

June 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • law

funny...Nobody says anything when white guys date other races. Just because the script is flipped all the white people saying something.

June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary, Ohio

White people are already the world's minority. Read a book.

June 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • David B.

Education and acceptance= death of morons like you

June 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Oh look. Stormfront BUGS are here trying to be relevant!

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

as i mentioned before, u should keep it alive because no one else wants to be a part of it.

June 2, 2013 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lorton

Why is realism necessary? I don't care for TV commercials with people who look like you and me and our families. You want me to buy breakfast cereal, show me a TV family from the '50s living in their shiny suburban house.

June 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merle Wayne

Yes. I remeber the TV ads from the 50's. All lilly white. But then, that's what you really want, isn't it?

June 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lorton

In popular culture, the 1950s is widely idealized as "the good old days." Beaver Cleaver and all that. Perfect families depicted on TV. Just because your people were repressed isn't my problem. There was plenty of nastiness going on back then–the world was NOT perfect–but it wasn't depicted on TV. My point is that TV should be a fantasy escape. There's nothing wrong with the family depicted in this TV commercial, but I see no need to go to lengths to depict a realistic family.

June 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

So you prefer the drug-infested, violent, criminal, low work ethic, thug/gang/broken family culture of the impoverished minority communities as the model to follow?

June 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lavender

1) If they are happy, WHO CARES that they are different races!
    2) If they are happy, WHO CARES that she looks no more than 30 and he is old enough to be bald!
    3) It is a SUPER CUTE commercial that I laugh at every time it is on TV.
    4) you racist non-people can leave my Jewish/Native America/Black/Irish/Dutch/French/German/Russian/Scottish children ALONE
    πŸ™‚ PEACE ALL!!!!

June 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gman

I don't care what all the rest of you say. I find this commercial to be disgusting and very thinly disguised propaganda to promote race mixing and the extermination of the white race. Mock if you will but I stand by my words!!!

June 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

I agree. I was disgusted, as well. Glad my family stayed white.

June 1, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • ccccc

For now, but whether you like it or not, some where down the line, you will have an ancestor of another race. I'm sure you will be long forgotten by that point, so sleep tight.

June 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • getoverit

Must have been fairly easy for your family to stay white, what with all the inbreeding that happens in the south. Your disgusting comments prove that you've suffered from the cognitive deficiencies that occur as a result of generations of first cousins procreating.

June 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • subman669

My wife and I are Caucasian. One of our son's-in-law is Korean. He and his wife adopted a little boy who has a Black mother and a Polynesian father. Do you know what makes that little boy? OUR GRANDSON! You, whomever you are, are a Moron. Hurry up and change into your hood, I think your Klan Meeting is getting ready to start.

June 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

Also glad my family stayed non-white, hopefully will continue to do so.

June 2, 2013 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Those of you that have a problem with this can just stay as lesser evolved humans for all I care, but you shouldn't breed. America has enough white trash as it is.

June 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. slawson

In 2013, why would anyone even care? I mean really? Interracial couples and families are a dime a dozen. If people haven't seen any they must live in a cave. If people have a problem with it they need to go live under a rock. The world is changing, so please get over it quickly.

June 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Skeptimist

Delightful ad. Charming kid, sweet mom and the joke's on dad. The message is wholesome people enjoy our wholesome food. Unfortunately, some unwholesome people prefer to make unholy fools of themselves.

June 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUTH

God intended for 2 giraffes to mate,2 cats,2 dogs ,2 cows...not a cat and a dog,not a cow and a giraffe,not a blue jay and a cardinal....get my drift?

June 1, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • ???

Are you insinuating that whites aren't human beings?

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Slipthalo

I got your drift and I definitely disagree with it.......

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

Hmm....Can a dog with brown spots love a dog with black spots? Sure they can. They're both dogs genius. And for all the white folks on here believing that there white family is going to stay white.....I am sure John Boehner thought the same thing. (Karma is a beast folks)

June 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

Ur right Ruth, western culture is so different from other cultures, it is almost as if it is another species.

June 2, 2013 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

LOL Wholesome? Only in a blackman's eyes.

June 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Skeptimist

Southernsuga: Assuming you are from the South, you may be shocked to learn that it is a statistical certainty that, going back just a few generations, it is a statistical certainty that your extended family includes a number of black cousins. American Indians, and...(shudder) a few democrats. None of us really knows what our ancestors were up to. But, of course, that doesn't mean you're not a sweet person.

June 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

Is the girl in the video your sister or something? I can feel the hate radiating off of your screen name.

June 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

The cereal is disgusting, they are only pulling the multicultural race card to sell more bad cereal to gullible people like you. The little girl is fat, angry, and can't speak or dress well. The mom doesn't look happy, she looks constipated.

June 2, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GetReal

I am Shocked...She wasted all those Cheerios on his shirt......

June 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rita

I find it quite sad that we live in a world where one must be critized for whom we fall in love with. I am a 56 yr old white woman and happily married for 18yrs to a black man. We have three beautiful white grandchildren that are my son's whom we have guardianship of and to them he is simply Papa and they love him unconditionally. My husband has no children and when they came to live with us his reply was, he wasn't given the chance to be a father nor a grand-father and now he has been blessed to be a role model in these children 's life and yes they will grow into responsible adults who will accept people for who they are and not the color of their skin.

June 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

Dreadful. Didn't your parents teach you better?

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Doug

Southernsuga – you must be one GIANT hickerbilly redneck without an ounce of commensense whatsoever. I hate it for your parents!!!

June 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rob

You are a racist. And you are also wrong and uneducated. The US population will be majority caucasian for centuries. Eventually when a person that is 1/4 Hispanic no longer is able to say they are Latino then you will realize how statistics and critical thinking aid in seeing the truth. Just because all the minorities together will be greater in number than Caucasians doesn't mean there will be no Caucasians.

June 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ggbblue

"Prefer their own"?? People write this kind of thing and have no idea how ignorant they are. That is frightening.

June 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rasPutin

You mean that interracial marriage was still illegal in some US states until 1967!!!!? We were probably the last nation on earth with such a stupid law. Othello, written in 1603 was about a mixed marriage (though it did not end well, for dramatic reasons), showing much of the world was ahead of the US by about 360 years.

June 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Oh yeah, the world has been doing sooooo well must be all that interracial breeding making things better.

June 2, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. BoulderBiker

Mix it up people! The more we mix the better we get!

June 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

I whole-heartedly disagree.

June 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Himteckerjam

How about I do it for the sole purpose of making you rage, then? Would you like that?

My white husband waves hello.

June 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merle Wayne

Kyle, BoulderBiker is right. It's a matter of genetics. That's why there is such a thing as sex, after all.

June 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Shelize

To be honest that was the cutest thing I have ever seen. I agree with the other poster I wouldn't have noticed the race if some didn't point it out. I think that says something in itself.

June 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Bonzo

I didn't even notice the couple was mixed race until someone pointed it out... just weird people got so worked up over it..

June 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Justin H

It's only causing a stir among bigots. Any normal person understands there is nothing wrong with an interracial family.

June 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • texasgoat

Hmmmmmmm, 0ver 90% of blacks voted for obama, racial pride or bigotry?

June 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • YoungNiceGuy

Mixture of the first and the fact Obama best represented the interests of Black people. Blacks would have voted for the Democrats overwhelmingly even if Obama wasn't running. The Republican Party doesn't appeal to Black Americans.

June 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cletus

And only 10% voted for Herman Cain in the primaries, common sense or coincidence?

June 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Quite possibly the fact that Romney singled out those on welfare, undermined higher education and affordable healthcare for all while coming off as a pompous rich white guy that will say/do anything for power might have something to do with it.

June 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Adam

95% of African Americans are Democrats and have voted for white candidates for ages, this time we had another choice and chose our President...so what's your point? Democrats vote for democrats!

June 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • slawson

And over 90% of blacks probably voted for the Kennedy's, Clinton, and Kerry, too. So what, since most just happen to be democrats. Why is that surprising and a shock to you? The next democratic president will probably get the same number of votes. Will you also be mad then? Sheesh, you really are an ignorant person, huh?

June 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • me

At least you got your name right

June 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Or EBT cards

June 3, 2013 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • lsgyrl

You left out none of the above.

June 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. sandy

It's 2013 people why is this even an issue. We all bleed red

June 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

Their blood being just a little 'darker' red. LOL

June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. When To See It

Well seeing as how Cheerios is accepting of all kinds of folks one can only wonder when they will start airing their next commercial using a family with two parents of the same gender? After all, there should be nothing wrong with that either if we want to keep prejudice out of the picture.

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • In Agreement

Yes! That is certainly a commercial that is Long Overdue! The fact is that there are many same-gender couples who live together and are even married legally these days and who either adopt children or have them naturally. Therefore, Cheerios needs to start airing those type of commercials also posthaste to reflect the changes that are now a reality in America!

June 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freedom from fools

Why does it matter? If it's not your family, keep your nose out of it. Like sandy said, we all bleed red.

The commercial is long past due. And it represents American reality for a lot of families. The ignorant comments that have been and continue to be made are ridiculous. We're human first...and like it or not, that makes us all related!

June 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

Geeeeeeeez. Talk about repulsive! Bring me my bible and boycott Cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JamVee@hotmail.com

I think this is much ado about nothing. When I was a young man (1960s), a mixed race couple was a bit shocking. However, we live, we learn and we evolve. It is no longer shocking, and in fact, when I see it today, I hardly pay any attention to it.

June 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. The Other Side

But one must also take into account that there are even many Black people who prefer to keep their race within the confines of their own and not marry into Whites. Many Whites feel the same way which is their right to do as that is a very personal matter that no one should interfere with. However, many still do not fully accept inter-racial marriage here and so there is that problem that continues to linger and exist and may continue indefinitely. Others may be more accepting but yet others are not. It is a Fact of life.

June 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindy

Then there are blacks who only date whites....Wier.

June 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • slawson

And then their are white men that only date black women like my husband, brother-in-law, and white uncles. You know opposites attracting do go both ways you know.

June 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Southernsuga

It's just an inferiority complex. The want to appear white and acceptable.

June 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Korie Prince

all i know is, when that dude woke up with the Cheerios on his chest, I LOLed!!! hahaa

June 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. pam milton

The fact that anyone even commented is sad. I pray for the day that seeing inter-racial families would not even draw a response at all. I long for the day that we can just see each other's heart and not the color of their skin.

June 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Brendan

I am really sick of contrived controversies. I believe this is one. My family is Irish. My wife's family is Latvian. My son is of Roma extraction (that is gypsy for the less educated both liberal and conservative out there.) My brother is married to a wonderful wife who is Indian – She has even been mistaken for being Muslim on the original 9/11 by some democrats union thugs in New Jersey. POINT is we are past this in my family. My guess is the nation is past it. The only people not past it are the remaiining genetically challenged folks who never will get past "miixed race"
    Oh and we all love CHeerios...... πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Well said, the majority of us wouldn't have batted an eyelash at this, and probably wouldn't even have noticed or cared. Evolution has not been kind to some of the inbred racist folk who shun science and knowledge and common sense. The problem is that they breed more than more successful and intelligent people, causing natural selection to fail. Ideally we will someday throw all of these lesser un-evolved humans into a big pit and let them fight each other for food., the future of the species is at stake here, and we can't afford the bottom of the barrel of the gene pool to succeed any longer πŸ˜‰

June 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Dan Creagan

When I first viewed it, I was surprised but not shocked. Cute kid – but a worn approach that is kind of irritating. I'm not against the mixed race idea – I'm against the showing of one more dumb dad and smart wife/kid. The whole thing is really getting to be a worn out theme. Race? Meh... not an issue for me. Apparently it is for others so kudos to Cheerios for putting it out there. Just wish they had been more creative with the other parts.

June 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

I don't see why you think the dad was portrayed as dumb. He was sleeping one minute, then he woke up. There was nothing to indicate his level of intelligence.

June 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • adodom50

Dad sleeping, not dumb. Anyone who says they don't recognize race in this country is delusional. Recognition is not race-hate – just natural.

June 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. JanetMermaid

Wow the stupid is strong in those haters. This is a clever, funny, lovely commercial.

June 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tv22

Where do these people live that they don't see interracial couples all the time? Strange. What's funny is that in the South, where I live, there are many more interracial couples than there are in the northern, liberal states.

June 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dale Carlton

When did you take that head count?

June 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Payne

lol @ Dale

June 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • slawson

I live in the south, too. I've lived in California, Oregon, Florida, Washington, and Puerto Rico. Yes, I agree, there are many interracial couples in the South comparable to the other states. Genuine love is color blind. Hate is blinded by color, unfortunately.

June 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  33. 2Dads+BiracialChild

Maybe marketing agencies should use computer programs to generate various combinations of people to put together as families in ads - because that's a lot like how the real world is. People from different backgrounds meet and fall in love and form families, and all are equally valid. Mixed race, same gender, blended/step, adoptive, foster - they are all families and they experience many of the same struggles and same joys. It does have a huge impact when we see the same diversity in media that exists today in our daily lives. It affirms to families who feel different that they are essentially like other families and it helps break down old models that some people still have about what a 'real family' should be or has to be. Cheers to you, Cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RachaelA

People need to get over who others marry and everyone's race. I could care less what race someone is, what "color" their skin is or what religion they practice. All I see ar their actions and how they treat others. That's all that should matter anyway. Too many people spend too much time judging everyone around them and think they have a "right" to make a judgement. They forget they also have a right to shut the hell up and not force their prejudices on the rest of us.

June 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mark

Ok, no big deal, just not very realistic when you look at the actual statistics of mixed race families.
    But when has advertising been a window into the real world?

June 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JanetMermaid

Explain. I know a number of VERY HAPPY mixed race families.

June 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • amy

That is my world...and my family is very real. Put a boy instead of a girl in the commercial...and that is my family. My hope is that one day my family will be seen just as that...a family...with no other adjectives in front of it.

June 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sherri

I see mixed families, when I am out, all the time. At the grocery story, playground, school etc. I'm sure they buy Cheerios at some point. This is nothing new really. But I'm sure Obama and his mom raised eyebrows when he was young. A young African American boy and a white woman. Oh how WILL we survive??

June 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Q1

If you go to a park and see 10 children of all different races playing together, you see 10 children playing together. Whatever happens between childhood and adulthood needs to stop. If I had seen this commercial on TV the thought of race would never have entered my mind. People who don't like this need to either remove themselves from the gene pool or join the rest of the educated human race.

June 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

The people that need to leave the gene pool are the thousands of uneducated black kids that have no family structure. Maybe Cheerios should promote something worthwhile instead of destroying more lives with the one black guy out of 100000 that gets a white girl.

June 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Payne

She actually was referring to clowns like you who need to take themselves out of the gene pool. You are a disgrace to you race and a sad excuse for a human being!

June 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Regina Morris

It's a Cheerio's ad. Get over it and focus on more serious problems. Like hungry children here in the US, the continued 'voluntary' segregation in South Africa, pollution... pick one.

June 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melangell

C'mon, right wingers gotta hate. Don't take that away from them. They have little else.

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Brett

It is just wrong!!! Interracial couples are just WRONG!!! A black and white SHOULD NEVER marry OR date!!! It is just WRONG!!

June 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsgyrl

ROTFLMAO Get over it!!

June 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JERSEYTOMATO

Tomatoes come in all shapes and colors and they are all delicious! -JERSEYTOMATO 2012

June 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. randy

Crazy. I am a white 56 year old male. I saw this ad and just thought it was clever and cute. I saw two parents and a child and didn't even notice the parents were of different race until I read this story. On reflection had the parents been of the same gender I would have noticed. I would have thought good for you Cheerios, but sadly, still i would have noticed. Hopefully someday we'll all just see people as people.
    Anyway, thank you Cheerios. You did good.

June 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mark

Where is the story here? A handful of people made sarcastic, racist, statements on the comments section of a web-site? That is considered a "stir?"

June 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JanetMermaid

The story is how much we still suck as a species, how petty we still are, how mean we still are. We may have smart phones but we ourselves apparently aren't very far out of the cave.

June 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  43. NIcole

This commercial is true to life. I find it funny to those that find it intriguing or dislike the reality of mixed families. This commercial and its negatives reactions remind me of when I went to the grocery store last week w/ my daughter. When we were at the register, the cashier says to my daughter (9 y/o) that she is beautiful. My daughter thanks her. The cashier, a "white", "Caucasian", early 20's female, says..."What are you?". My daughter didn't know what she meant nor did I. Did she think that my daughter was not from this planet? So I asked what she meant. Addressing my daughter, she asked if she was white and black. For a second I thought of the cookie. Still finding humor in her so direct question, I told the cashier that she was first of all human much like her and then she was Cuban and Dominican. I just had to laugh after that. I don't get mad for those that are ignorant. Nor do I let it bother me for those that choose to see the reality of the wonderful world that we live in that has beautiful colors and races. We are all humans and much conceived the same way and unfortunately we die not the same way but we die. If a colored speck makes you look the other way, then you should have been born to live a bland life of gray. Yay to Cherrios!

June 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • HappyMom

Nicole,

My guess is that your cashier was well-meaning, but simply couldn't express her question properly. Also, it's not the sort of question I'd pose to a young child.

Once, when I was helping staff a Girl Scout cookie booth, I helped two gorgeous young women in their 20's who were twins. These women were simply stunning, but looked so unlike any race I'd ever met. I did strike up a conversation as to their nationality. Turned out they were from Nepal. This, in turn, led to a conversation about how wonderful and unique Nepalese food is. (I had eaten it recently at a local restaurant.) We talked about the restaurant, how long they'd lived in this country, where they were attending college, etc. Rather than having a discussion about race, we were discussing culture and their lives as young students. I don't believe they were offended, and we had an informative, interesting exchange.

FWIW, I am a 56-YO-white female of European descent. Been married twice, both times to Jewish men. My children are ethnically half-Jewish (although the Jewish faith does not recognize them as such). One daughter is a lesbian. I also have been in long-term relationships with men from other races. Does any of this matter? No, not at all. What matters is who a person is.

And yes, I love Honey-Nut Cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  44. RS

This is the first commercial I've seen with an interracial couple. What other commercials with interracial couples were there?

June 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. david tirpak

I am blessed married to an frican american woman. It is a wonderfil experience. She is from Central America and speaks Spanish. I enjoy cajun food(her sister lives in New Orleans), spanish food and food from Belieze(powered buns and johnny cakes and plantain. God put us together. I have a more exciting life than I would have had I married a white woman!

June 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Tong

Sounds like She is really Hispanic & not African American. Technically African American is really a broad term and consists of some subcultures. Anyone black isn't really African American. There are blacks in central and South America since centuries. Mainstream African American in the USA is a black guy who can trace his ancestors to the enslaved people from Africa. There are others who may be of African descent but don't trace back to slavery. We also have African immigrants. The last two in the list are quite different from the first. Example is Barack Obama. He does not carry any baggage of slavery & the sense of perpetual victim hood. I have has the privilege of knowing some from the 2nd group. They hate to be clubbed along with other "African Americans". They correct people and tell them that they are Africans and not African American.

June 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • mel

Please don't define people by using your own personal racist lens. Let them define themselves. If the man says his wife is African American that is probably how she defines herself. I am from Panama and take a lot of pride in my heritage and consider myself African American as well. And I've been happily married to an African American man for many years. You sound like the one carrying around all the baggage!

June 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Southernsuga

Sounds more like Mayan Indian.

June 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cool J

Good point David. However, you didn't touch on the fact that Hispanic Blacks are also descendants of slaves brought to the New World. The only difference was that they were brought over by the Spanish Conquistadors as opposed to the British Imperials. I should know, I'm Black Hispanic of Puerto Rican descent. I can trace my roots through slavery and also all the way back to a Spanish Royal Family complete with a Coat of Arms. The point I'm making is that it's not just North American Blacks that were burdened with the ugly weight of slavery.

June 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • GetReal

With descendants from Africa and her being from Central America...that does make her African American...Just not from the US. North, Central and South America all make up the America's

June 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sco

Hispanic food. NOT Spanish. Big difference.

Also, it'd be no different if you married a woman from Europe. Race doesn't define how much fun you have with a partner. (And lol, you can't even spell her birth country's name right.)

June 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mavilj

it's a lovely ad!

June 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. mavilj

it's a lovely commercial!

June 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ed

I'm glad for the existence of such commercials.

However, it's sad that the commercial would cause any kind of stir.

It shouldn't be an issue any more than a blonde marrying a red-head.

I recall a talk I had with my dad when I was about 14 (say, around '72). I'm white. At 14 (and today, of course), race was not an issue for me, in terms of a girlfriend or a prospective wife (i.e., as far as I knew, my future wife might be black).

My dad was not really opposed to such marriages, but "concerned" might be the right word. He thought that the kids of such marriages would not be treated well by "either group". I thought of us as all as "just people", but realized that people existed who would look down on such children (of course, it is those people who should be looked down on).

In terms of healthy children, it's genetically advantageous, since the odds of reinforcing a bad recessive are less than with two people of close genetic "background".

June 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Josh

I think the fact that this ad is generating discussion at all is a little disheartening. Seems like as a society maybe we haven't made as much progress as we'd like to think (though we have made some). I've seen the commercial, and I honestly hadn't thought about it in any way other than a commercial trying to get me to buy a kind of cereal using a really cute kid and a sweet family dynamic. The races of the actors didn't really even register, until I read this article.

June 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Hunter

The only thing that 'solves' racism is time.

June 1, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Buddy

Yes. Jail time.

June 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • mark

LOL! That take off on the 'Badgers' animated meme flashed in my mind when you said jail time.

June 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

This is the best comment on this page!!!!

June 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sasha B

I am a African American woman who identifies as such, although my heritage is mixed . I have an adult daughter who is 1/2 German! How I wish this ad was on tv when she was younger. Why on why are people forced to "Pick" a race?

Uplifting ad... more please!

June 1, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  52. blakenaustin

Is blacks only racist? Is Hispanics only racist? Is Asian only racist? ... However you answer, the same applies to whites only? No double standards.

June 1, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Katy

To answer all of your questions, YES!!!
      Any person that feels they are a superior race or that their race is too good to mix with other races is RACIST! Regardless of where we come from or what shade our skin tones we are all HUMAN and none of us is any better then another!!

June 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Gabreanna

This is by far one of the cutest commercials I've seem in a long time, the little girl is absolutely adorable. Congratulations
    Cheerios....love my Honey Nut:-)

June 1, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  54. tracy

I have DVR and was shocked and rewound it. I thought it was the first time I've ever seen a mixed displayed in a commerical. Yay!!!

June 1, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  55. HONEyWoMAN

When I saw that commercial, I thought, "It's about time!"

June 1, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  56. Millie

Didn't matter what color the parents or the child was. The commercial made me smile. Thank you Cheerios.

June 1, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  57. rswon

I just cracked-up. THAT is the logic of little kids and what makes little kids so cool.

As for the people who are "upset", you're obviously too stupid to understand what's wrong with your beliefs/opinions.

Next up, a same gender couple with a happy healthy child doing something adorable. Progress is good.

June 1, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Fan

Even better, we need to cut across species – a man, female dog, and a baby mongoose.

June 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Debra

There is only one race. The Human race.

June 1, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Kane

You forgot the Kentucky Derby.

June 1, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • HughJass

and the Daytona 500

June 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brewhaho

And the Boston Marathon.

June 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribarian

what a cute lil baby

June 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Trupador

Was the commercial discussing multigrain Cheerios or just the plain ones?

June 1, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Rose

(Trupador) I would say that clearly they were referring to the healthful properties in the multigrain "mixed" variety. πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  60. GrogInOhio

That is actually quite adorable and looks exactly like something one of my 3 daughters would have done.

June 1, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  61. JRen

As the product of a mixed marriage, I am pleased to finally see something that represents me on television. There isn't a lot of non-traditional family structure in media, at all, and this was gratifying. One thing that surprised me was in the recent GI Joe movie, Dwayne Johnson had two daughters who were black. The absence of commentary on that, and the overwhelmingly positive response about the Cheerios commercial, here, gives me hope for the future of race relations in America.

June 1, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Sorry, this was a reply to Shell below.

June 1, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  62. Shell

I've been married for 26 years to a black man and I am white. We have two kids age 23 and 17. This is and should be a part of everyday life. It's just too bad that hatred is also a part of everyday life. You can't fix stupid!

June 1, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

That's nothing to brag about.

June 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsgyrl

No you can't. Southersuga made your point.LOL

June 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  63. jo

love oats and wouldn't mind it get loads of free publicity.

June 1, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  64. IMHO

Yawwwwwwn. Take note of "the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America", change "race in America" to "any issue of importance" (say I with lush irony) and we get the most useful comment from this article.

June 1, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  65. comen

Why is it when a black man makes a racist comment about white women (Charles Ramsey,~7 May2013), it is applauded by many posters as true and not addressed by media as a problem, but racist comments about this ad received significant media coverage? We will not overcome racism until racist views of racism are gone in media and folks (... yeah, awkward sentence – I had to read that sentence twice too... πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  66. Foxrepublican

It would appear that "all men are created equal" has not yet been achieved. What a pity. People are people.

June 1, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  67. Teresa

Overdue. AND much ado about nothing.

June 1, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry Dunlop

Totally agree. Anyone who has a problem with a racially mixed family simply b/c they are a racially mixed family, has much deeper problems. But it seems even TV stations are having problems with this since I've seen this ad w/o the Dad being covered with Cheerios at the end. Sad.

June 1, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  68. Davina

What is the big fuss, it is normal in south africa

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

So is crime and poverty.

June 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Meiewe

Thomas Jefferson even has mixed descendants. The problem is that there are few people who have a problem with it in private, but they don't want their "friends" to think less of them. The reality is that most people today are mixed from somewhere in there past. DNA tests have already proven that point. Get on board America. This is one train that will roll.

June 1, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  70. Linda Pazos

Pffftt. What dsilviano said. What a beautiful family image.

June 1, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  71. nancynurse

This ad features a beautiful child who is asking her mother a thoughtful question. I'm stunned that anyone in our great country is offended by this ad. I was hoping most Americans were intelligent enough to be fair minded and realize all races are of equal value. Perhaps there are more ignorant people here then I thought. I've been a nurse for 40 years and guess what- we are all the same. As long as you are a good hard working member of society why does color matter ? Kudos to Cheerios !

June 1, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

My wife said that any child old enough to actually formulate that question would be old enough to know that it needed to be eaten, not poured on the heart... even so, I thought it was a cute ad.

June 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Chan

These relationships are strange – regardless of commonality. Common sense should always be priority when establishing relationships particularly when reproduction is involved. Thank God for red birds and other animals that mate with their own kind. Humans should be smarter than animals and see the beauty of each race ENOUGH so to do all that it can to help that race of people continue and reproduce without interruption or interference. Suggestively for their own race, the same – loving yourself enough and your own race to want to see it prosper and continue. Until you learn to love your own and others in the manner of "true" love vs under the spell of adulterated "lusts", this country will continue to become a primitive species. There is nothing NEW under the sun – this includes a new world, particularly one that condones and revels strange, sinister and awkward relationships to develop and re-produce. Wow – who said that!

June 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • TonyaW

This is an extremely interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing. And I'm a black woman married to a Samoan man.

June 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • steven cameron

Animals mate with their own kind because they are separate species and cannot mate with other species. Dogs are one species and can be bred to all kinds of physically different varieties. People also come in different varieties but are one species, so that mixing is quite natural, just like the red birds.

June 11, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ram

Strange, sinister relationships? You do indeed see the world strangely if you see two people who aren't identical to each other seeing the best in each other and wanting to share a life together as strange and sinister.

June 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  72. TS

I loved the commercial. I laughed out loud! I wonder if there would have been as much flap it had been a white dad and black mom? That's been secretly acceptable for hundreds of years. Just ask Strom Thurmond's daughter, or Sarah Henning's descendants.

June 1, 2013 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • TS

* Sally Henning's

June 1, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Mary

TS, thanks for the correction! You're probably aware that the Jefferson family has disputed Sally Hemmings and Jefferson's children for decades. The public knows about it; the family is the last to accept what we all know to be true.

June 1, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  73. Kip

Sheesh. Saw the ad a bunch of times and didn't even notice. One day we as a species will stop being so petty, but I fear it won't be in my lifetime.

June 1, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • ram

I didn't notice it either except to think she was really cute.

June 1, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  74. shane

hear, hear

June 1, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  75. dsilviano

Much ado about nothing.....beautiful family....too much attention on those who wish to keep us in the dark ages.. Bravo Cheerios! Now get Monsanto out of your products, and all will be well!! πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  76. Steven Colo

I have no issues with multiracial families, but do object to having sugared crap with no nutritive value sold as "food".

June 1, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  77. William Parrish

It's important to me as a black male that a national brand product made this sort of commercial. As these companies are focused on profit, not equality, it seems to me that this type of commercial is another sign that the bigots are losing. Also if you look around, black men are rarely seen on T.V. in a loving relationship with a white woman. How many black Bachelors have there been on the ABC series? America is still learning to be O.K. with this, we are not as evolved as you might think

June 1, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike Hunt

A movement is afoot to crown Portland-based sportscaster Lamar Hurd as the first black Bachelor. Maybe he will be seen actually eating Cheerios, ya think? πŸ™‚

June 1, 2013 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Courtney S

I agree wholeheartedly with your assertion, thanks for advancing the dialogue in a constructive manner

June 1, 2013 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  78. ND4190

It's about time that there are commercials that feature families that do not just feature a White family of a mother, father, son, and daughter! Families come in all colors and combinations of people. It's unbelievable that people will still make such negative comments over stuff like this in 2013. Kudos to Cheerios for thinking outside the box!

June 1, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • OldDad

The only "box" that Cheerios is thinking about is the "bank box". I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with WHO is sitting at the table.

June 1, 2013 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • ram

I agree. it is amazing and not in a good way.

June 1, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  79. secret

Yawn. Why should I care if some people don't like this? How is that news?

June 1, 2013 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  80. solowd

I wouldn't really take youtube comments seriously. These ones were likely posted by a bunch of bored kids trying to get a rise out of someone.

June 1, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  81. VladT

Once again, the sorry state of our country. The fact that people on this board are arguing over this commercial is disgusting. For the record....

Financially, I am conservative/republican/whatever you want to call me. Yes, I happen to be white. My "first" ( yes, first ) was a longtime girlfriend who is black. My next girlfriend was white, and my serious girlfriend who met the parents is Hmong.

I only mention this because I have read
    1) Conservatives blame the "terrible PC libs," and
    2) Liberals claim that "teapartiers will hate this."

Must everything be politicized. If this relationship works out and I have half Romanian, Half-Hmong children, I think it would be awesome

June 1, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • ed dugan

Relax, sooner or later you might meet SOMEBODY that can stand you. Black, white, asian, you are a poster child for adopting mongrels and the SPCA wantsyou!

June 1, 2013 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
      • VladT

Either Ed is being sarcastic and supportive, or he read that I tend to be financially conservative, so he is jumping too concluisions, further proving my point.

Good job, Ed

June 4, 2013 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Maybe it is time to set aside the labels. CONSERVATIVE and LIBERAL are one-dimensional words; people and their personalities have MANY more dimensions than one. No one word can or should define – or divide – people.

June 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • VladT

Unfortunately, it seems too many people are letting it define who they are, and in turn letting it be who they define others. Either way, it is a cycle that needs to be halted, else we be a 50/50 polarized nation

June 4, 2013 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  82. Yeppers

causing a stir? more like no one cares.. stop trying to create problems out of nowhere

June 1, 2013 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  83. Larry Moniz

The first time I saw this advertisement I knew it would generate racially-negative comments. Face it, there are many semi-literate people who often can't spell or use grammar correctly and who were raised in racist environments. Any who doubts this has only to read the online comments section of any major print or media outlet to discover a high percentage of those commenting a racist or bigoted against anyone who isn't born-Again Christian, Caucasian, or from the southern quarter of our nation. Every article abounds with racist, geographic or other slurs against anyone who's different. Unfortunately, that even extends to politics. We are a nation deeply divided and either a popular revolution against the government and its inability to govern and/or a civil war could (sad to say) be in our near future.

June 1, 2013 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • gwtheyrn

"People" in the south deserve it. I am embarrassed to call that part of the country "America".

June 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • L Sal

Your remarks are more realistic than a nation believing that a group of mixed up people is going to save it. No thanks – a civil upheaval sounds a lot more practical.

June 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Sheelagh

Beautiful ad, beautiful reflection of our world.

June 1, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  85. davecu

Moved from North Jersey to Dover DE 18 months ago.
    Noticed many more mixed families than we were used to.
    After a few days we noticed that the only people staring was ourselves.
    The acceptance was near universal here.

What a lovely thing it is.

June 1, 2013 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

When my daughter started making friends with mixed race kids a year ago, it kind of threw me a bit – I am not prejudiced, but it was beyond my life experience. We live in a small Midwest town that is at least 90% white, and for some reason she was drawn to kids that were... isolated, I think. Anyway, a year or so later, it just seems normal to me. I am just happy that my daughter has friends – reasonably well behaved friends, at that.

I think that the problem most people have with race is that it forces them beyond their comfort zone, beyond what they are familiar with. People are people, so once you know them you understand they are not different from you – it is just the first step that scares most people.

June 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • TonyaW

Great perspective Edwin,
        Over 22 years ago, I (I'm black) brought my Samoan boyfriend home to SC to meet my family. Fortunately, they are very loving folks but they had many, many questions. No one (including me) had ever heard of Samoans or the island of America Samoa! LOL..We've been married for over 20 years and have two beautiful (very well-behaved) sons. Thanks for keeping an open mind and allowing yourself to step outside your comfort zone.

June 11, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Ray

Amazing how little some people think of themselves. This country is literally drowning in sewage.

June 1, 2013 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  87. vdubman

love it.

June 1, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  88. Patti

Can't figure what all the hoopla is about...guess it's because we were raised to see people as people not a skin color. I have 4 grandchildren, 2 are biracial, mom is white and dad is black as well as 2 biracial great-nieces, mom is black and dad is white. We are raising them all to see people for who they are. Guess it's working because one of my granddaughters told us the other day she is half Korean (her non-biological GrandPapa is Korean) because her favorite foods are Korean! Isn't it time to move on and PRACTICE the equality that was fought so hard for by our previous generations?

June 1, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  89. johnharry

liked the commercial, don't care about their races, they are just MERICAN's

June 1, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  90. PureVT

Sorry but have watched the commercial a few times, I do not see the mixed race....... all I see is the HUMAN RACE.
    Really cute commercial too.

June 1, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  91. ClevelandGAl

First of all...you cannot assume comments made by someone online represent the entire nation..these are simply trolls...who love to hide behind their computers and rip other people apart to make themselves feel better...so I'd really just consider the source...i think the majority of americans are accepting of mixed families..it's the modern family afterall.

June 1, 2013 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  92. LMZ

To the people of ALL races, get over your ignorance, your fear and grow up!

June 1, 2013 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  93. G_Edwards

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING!

A. Very, very few people actually care
    B. There are far too many people who want to cause a stir on Internet postings, whether they care about it or not

June 1, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  94. KieranH

Isn't this like, normal now?? Wasn't it a "shocking" thing in the 1980's??

June 1, 2013 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  95. John Robert Brown

P.S. I make TV commercials for a living. What Cheerios has done is make a somewhat
    forgettable sitcom commercial a little more interesting. Bravo for that!

June 1, 2013 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  96. firebird96

Long overdue. Good for the folks at Cheerios. Haven't seen the Kindle ad, but good on them as well. Families come in all shapes & sizes. I support them.

June 1, 2013 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  97. legumepod

CUTE advertisement! People are serious idiots.

June 1, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Are you serious? The Parents Television Council and Southern Baptist would be calling for an immediate boycott of Cheerios.

June 1, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  98. call me Bwana

You yank have so many problems, that wasting time on this is just ridiculous. But just go on, you are on the way to 3 World status.

June 1, 2013 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Elisabeth H.

It all depends on where you live. I live in the upper midwest. It is rather nice here. One of our states is roughly the size of one of your European countries (or larger) And the culture changes quite a bit between areas. North Dakota is very different from New York, Just like Italy and Wales are very different from each other.

June 1, 2013 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  99. Brenda

absolutely love this commercial!

June 1, 2013 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  100. john vance

People who get upset about such things and decry the deterioration of mankind will never see that the biggest problem they have to face is the one in the mirror every morning.

June 1, 2013 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |