May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,491 Responses)
  1. Mbgator

I totally disagree with the whole idea of racially mixed marriages and "half breed" kids. Mr obama is a perfect example of the extreme prejudice that emerges from these relationships. Cheerios will never be in our house again. I am not a white supremist by any means, but people should stay within their respective race.

June 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • shan22044

As grandpa in the Simpsons would say, "Too Late!"

Look at your own family tree and see how homogeneous it really it (not!), sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black.

June 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

hmm....gator...how appropriate for a social, cultural dinosaur. I'm sure your predecessors are from the purist of breeds.

June 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • blahblahblah

Why do you have to attack him for having an opinion? Let's pretend he is 'purebred'. I'm a 'half-breed', and I agree with him. Don't subject your children to the life they will have to put up with because you had to produce offspring with a different race.

June 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rsc

Mbgator, so you are saying all people of mixed race are going to have the same views as Obama? The is very narrow minded thinking. That would mean that every person of white decent is a racist then if we judge a race, country, or group off the actions of one person. Also by your statement you are saying extreme prejudice only comes from people of mixed relationships, then i guess the KKK, black panthers, and all racial hate groups are from mixed relationships. Racism and "extreme prejudice" have been around for a long time. As long as we continue to be narrow minded and see ourselves as different and not as Americans (one country) we will always have a problem with race........and since I am sure you thought it, no I didn't vote for Obama.

June 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • HC

Soory Mbgator, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it is wrong ... and let's see could we get a copy of your DNA and family tree? You my friend are not 100 percent pure ... please repeat after me .... Heinz 57 (made up of a little bit of everything) and that my friend is reality

June 1, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Areyouforreal

Mbgator, you comments are so narrow minded you should probably kept them to yourself. No one cares what you think. You live your life they way you want and let others live and love who they chose. Kept your racist views to yourself. Get a life!!!

June 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

ah- but you can't play it like that, now can you? You have a right to express your opinion and he has the same perfect right to express his. Isn't that what diversity is all about? Live and let live? He's not stopping anyone from doing what they want to do or saying what they think. You don't have to agree with him and he doesn't have to keep his thoughts to himself any more than YOU do.

June 2, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ram

Your post doesn't even make sense. Racism isn't created by mixing skin colors. It's created by people who are afraid. President Obama is just one of millions of people...actually pretty much all of us if you go far enough back...who are of mixed race. If you don't want to marry someone a bit of a different shade of skin color than you are, then just don't. Otherwise sorry, but it's been done since the beginning of people. You can hate all you want, but what does a black child and white mother on tv have to do with you eating Cheerios? Seriously...your threat is silly. If you know biology you would know a great way to keep a population healthy is to intermix genes instead of inbreeding. How sad for you that you are so limited in your thinking.

June 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • athomeinthewoods

gator I would love to see your blood lines I have found that those who are of a bigoted nature whether it be biracial families, homosexuality or even religion are most often yelling the loudest in hopes of covering what they believe to be " family secrets" IE Adolf Hitler, most white slave owners who had mix race children, and religious leaders who while screaming about gays are themselves hiding abuse. The time has come to live your life and leave everyone else to live theirs. I can promise you none of these lifestyles are going away.

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Hi, Biracial person here.

Please drink an entire gallon of bleach. Stat.

June 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

see – what we have here is proof positive that biracial folks can be "just like us" – rude, insensitive, impulsive and dismissive of folks who express different opinions......and, they, too, can learn to temper their words and grow day by day so that we all get better at the whole "live and let live" thing. Life is easier when you don't make enemies of what is not familiar and when you try not to spew "fighting words" when there's really nothing to fight about.

June 2, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • sqeptiq

There is only one race of humans and everyone alive has a black ancestor.

June 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

Only in America could really dumb comments like these be published. No more Cheerios for you because you don't like their commercials showing a diverse America. The age of dinosaurs is over. Racial purity? Sounds like something we fought WW II about.

June 2, 2013 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Andrewmag166

Guess they figure somgle moms will buy lots of Cheerios with all their free money, it's Wic approved

June 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rsc

I guess there has never been a single white mom whose white husband left her......get real man!!!

June 1, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mack

20 bucks says you're white and your parents are divorced?

June 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JayneQP

I love the commercial! It's cute!

June 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bilbo

Hate to say it, buddy, but you're the one who's trash. Prejudicial people like you make me sick!

June 1, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peaceful

Please people, When asked what nationality you are , what do you say? If you have to answer more than one , you too are racially mixed. Btw I am Italian, Portuguese, Albanian. I am one of very few people now days with that few. The only person I know living that is only one nationality is my mom and lets face it Portugal has been invaded by so many countries , Lord knows what I really am.

June 1, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

If it were a big deal, would Barack Obama be the leader of the free world? A few loudmouths do not control American thought.

June 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribarian

Just a few people with money do actually, and a whole bunch of distracted sheeple go along with it.....

June 1, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MS

I only live on this planet because I have no other choice. It's stories like this one that are the reasons why I would leave if I could.

June 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mercury

Clearly, the American Right prefers to remain inbred.

June 1, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Khagaraj

" The leader of the free world ".How corny ! The phrase sounds like something from an ancient religious text.

June 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

You might want to get rid of your comment of how "corny" that sounds..It has been used for decades. It sounds as if you are the one lost and out of it

June 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • john long

How true. Only liberals refer to him as 'the leader of the free world'. In reality, he's just another guy doing his job....but since many liberals do not believe in a god, they look for a replacement in people and find one in the president. Simple, sheep, bah, bah. Follow me...I'm your new leader.

June 1, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. petroskies

the people learn to be very political in that point, they never said the real true, they keep for themselves we live in the world of whole night-blindness

June 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ac summers

Black or white. It was about time a company embrace diverse families in advertising products. I saw the commercial and I cheered, went out a brought 4 boxes of cheerios. General Mills has my support.

June 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ac summers

Its long overdue. Multicultural families are here to stay. Especially in the Americas.

June 1, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I agree. The commercial is great.

June 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rogue

This is the face of America. Get used to it.

June 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Naharol

The important lesson is that other people are not you no matter if their skin tone is similar or other...you cant put your own expectations about how someone else should behave onto another. All you can do is choose to not hang out with this person.

June 1, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • butterflypoette

True. I am personally not interested in interracial dating, but if other people do it, it's their business and not mine. And I won't hate those people either. It's not right.

June 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hilarious

The commercial is hilarious.

June 1, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Not as hilarious as the idiots responding.

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. AMERICA 1st

I dont approve of mixed marriages. It aint natural!

June 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Der101

Being a dim witted American, how many cousin's have you slept with

June 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

I gave 34 years of my life as an Army Officer – proud to defend the things that make America great. I served along side of Americans of every color and ethnic origin. I'm sorry to say that you represent a faction of America not worth defending.

June 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

I blame the existence of trolls on the people who respond to them with serious comments.

June 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

I think you are wrong, I like trolling because it is fun and makes me laugh, which is healthy. I also laugh at other trolls' postings which is the whole point of reading comment boards. The fact that my life sucks and I am underemployed and feel hopeless and helpless is also a contributing factor as well I'm sure.

June 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Hi, hello! Biracial person here. You also need to drink a gallon of bleach.

I'm so sorry you're upset but get over it.

June 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • mogran

Agree

June 2, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  16. AMERICA 1st

Youll find that when the vast majority of black males find out their white girlfriend is pregnant that skip out and leave that female in a bad situation. Its sad but true!!!

June 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • BukkakeInYerFace

Oh boy, you must be really lonely.

June 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shauna

I was with my black boyfriend for 5 years and have now been married to him for 5 years beyond that and have a son together. We are very close with another mixed race couple and the husband/dad is a doctor and takes care of his family. Maybe you need to change the people you hang around?

June 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ac summers

This thing does not hang around people. They are social retards who only think one dimensional and hateful towards anything different. Sad beings in this world.

June 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debra

That is the case for the vast majority of all males no matter the color, creed or nationality!

June 1, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. cbp

There are people in the USA who will not accept interracial marriages or biracial children. Call it racist or something else. There were many comments about Mrs. Obama that were racist in nature and about the President as well. We have nto gotten away form racism and prejudice. It exists int he highest level of our government including Congress. Some do not like the fact that we elected an man who is biracial.

Just read the comment section following an article about the President or First Lady. Those who write these comments will not change.

June 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bergie

As I told friends and family after Pres. Obama was first elected: now I can truly tell my biracial grandsons that they can do anything they want to work hard for when they grow up, even be president of our country!

June 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Naharol

I think some are offended bevause its not realistic. If the woman was a large white female with a black mate...this is possible. This commercial shows a leave it to beaver type mom shacking up with a black male which can be taken as a stretch of imagination.

June 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penny

My step daughter is a beautiful, slender, educated white woman, married for 13+ years to a kind, intelligent, educated black man......he is obviously a better catch than you ever were!!

June 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BukkakeInYerFace

I think it shows how unrealistic in your neck of the woods. Let me guess, midwest or south, right?

June 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Greg

You've obviously never been to the midwest. I've lived all over the U.S, but was born and raised in the midwest. There are more interracial couples there of every shape and size than I've seen anywhere else. I've also lived in parts of California that would freak out if they see a mixed couple.

June 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Did you ever see Tiger Woods wife? Also, we all know you, it is a simple matter of reading your so called thoughts, which are non-original, simplistic and just dumb. Pretty good huh, like looking in a mirror.

June 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shauna

I'm a slender attractive female and married to an equally attractive wonderful man. I can't believe how people stereotype.

June 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Voltron101

lol.. it's actually the other way around. You'd almost never see a black man dating a plus sized white woman. Why do so when there are countless plus sized black females waiting to be taking? Come out of your cave.

June 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Klemmer

It should have been the other way around– a black woman and a white man. A lot of folks don't like to see a black man and a white woman cuz it implies that black woman are not beautiful.

June 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • black guy

lots of black athletes like white girls. they are better than black women.

June 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naharol

You shack up with a person whos a black female then come back and report to us

June 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Roberta

This is what my household looked like growing up-and I'm almost 40. The fact that people still have issues with mixed families is disappointing. I spent my entire childhood feeling like a spectacle and I often told my mom about the things that people would say to me, or how strangely they looked at us when we were out. She thought it was all my own insecurity, but people's reaction to this commercial shows the ugly truth about our country.

My own kids are tri-racial but they look like my husband, an for the most part so do I, so we don't get the stares or comments but to know that other families like the one I was raised in are still considered odd or offensive by so many people is truly disheartening.

June 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

I've made an interesting observation... the most beautiful children I've seen are of mixed race. It seems kids just get the best features from each parent.

June 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Homer

So true. My wife is Chinese and thank god they got her best features and not mine. We have beautiful children that I am very proud of.

June 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Why do you care if somebody doesn't like mixed races? Are you in charge of everyone else's preferences?

June 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. HumanRights4All

This is sad that many Americans are still prejudiced? My God people can't we have equality for all?!

June 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. chris

as a black man, i don't need cnn to clue me into the fact that there are ALL KINDS of people who don't like me because of my skin color. yes, a huge majority of them ARE white and it'll be that way till i die and even after that, there are a really scared bunch of people who have done all they can to promote themselves as the ONLY way to live in america. to not adhere to the "white ideal" is not to become a criminal or less than capable being, they just don't want to change a bit of themselves to understand anyone else, they are against ANY change at all which by cosmic standards, is as unnatural as it gets. all things change and there is no stopping it...

June 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

we all don't feel that way just the stupid ones

June 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • fergiegirl

Chris the bottom feeders that believe this c**p do not represent the rest of us

June 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Nearly everyone in America is a mix breed of some sort. I'm sure my ancestors would not be happy to know that throughout time their offspring has mixed with French, Russian, German and Irish. In todays world all people see from someone that is of European descent is someone that is white. Here we are regarding a color as a race and objecting to the mix of colors. Rather pathetic and extremely narrow minded in my eyes. I know it'll never happen in my lifetime, but I would love to see the continuation of mixing the races until we are all so diluted with multiple nationalities and ethnicities that no one would be able to differentiate themselves from another. That would fix the race issue, then maybe we could work on the religion issue to finally put a stop to all of the fighting and bickering over that. Just a thought.

June 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

You say that "the white ideal is not to become a criminal". So, you think white people are racists because they don't approve of a culture which encourages you to be a criminal? How very progressive of you.

June 2, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Der101

wow... americans are the most racist half educated people in the world. this is an everyday scene in Canada. Congrats to Cheerio's and to the rest of you haters you need to move out of your back water neighbourhood and realize that theres nothing wrong with this. quit banging your cousin's and move on.

June 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • fergiegirl

Please do not lump all Americans into this narrow minded, hateful and ignorant group of bottom feeders

June 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mister Cool Ice

It is ironic how you, the supposedly enlightened and progressive Canadian, demonstrate your moral superiority by making derogatory stereotypes about people in another country.

June 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Seattle Sue

I think I have a lot of in common with blacks in me.as I have two legs, two arms two eyes, two ears, ten fingers and so forth. And yes my nose is a little wide.

June 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Roberto

Ok, I live in a country not so wealthy (Brasil), plagued with inequalities, violence and low education. Yet, we live quite well along with each other. A multiracial familly could not be an issue here, as we are a multiracial country (well, I can imagine some of the "purists" American arguing that this is the cause of our maladies). But anyway, some people here usually see the United States of America as an example of progress, education, well being and development. However, when you look deeper into what the American society is really like, the picture is not very nice. Let the "pure" white christians (yes! some of these people call themselves christians) marry among themselves, hasten their genetic diseases and imperfections, live in their limited world of denials and hate until they naturally disappear. The new world is multi. That is what some people cannot accept. Beware America, for you may not have a future... It is unbelievable that a theme so common such as a multiracial familly still causes rage in the United States. It seems like the "real America" every once in a while shows its real face. Sad...

June 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bilbo

To repeat what has been said so often, Roberto, please don't lump most open-minded good Americans (many the new generation) in with the gutter prejudicial garbage. I'm optimistic that they are a minority. It's time to end the prejudice against races, nationalities, religions, and those who were born LGBT. Let's make it a better world for our descendents.

June 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  26. danielwalldammit

It's a cute commercial.

Those making bigoted statements about it can rot!

June 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Miami

The same group vote for Bill Clinton but nobody complained that only While males were the only option!!!

June 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. vgs1895

Another media-hyped story. It's a slow day for CNN I guess. I'm mixed race and I don't care about whether people like or hate the commercial. I'm more concerned that CNN feels the need to promote hatred by publishing such stories.

June 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

Let's make a deal:

You don't click, we don't cover.

Does that sound fair?

-Signed: CNN

June 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

HOW DARE YOU, appoint yourself as the decider of what issues are important to us MINORITIES?

The you wonder why your party is on its way to he11.

June 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • FrmrMrine

Ah yes, another comment about how calling out racism is the cause of racism. Another variation, of course, is the 'if you call me out for my racism you are being racist because you're playing the 'race card'.

But comments like this are simply proof that we still have a long way to go.

June 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsl

So where's CNN's message of hate? Is it hate to report the shameful reaction to the commercial by a bunch of ugly, hateful Americans. And there sure seems to be a lot of anger and hate in your flame of a reason article.

June 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Cambridge Ray

There are TWO kinds of Conservatives:

• One group is busy spreading hatred

• The other group is busy denying that the first group exists

Don't believe me? Check by yourself: Just scroll up & down. Go to ANY Internet forum.

June 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

Actually, I a being unfair, there is a 3rd. group:

• Collin Powell

June 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • danielwalldammit

...and he is increasingly disowned by other 'conservatives,' ...except when they need him.

June 1, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jtom

You don't have to read many comments from liberals before you see the same hate and intolerance. Racism cuts across both ends of the political spectrum. There are plenty of black females complaining about white girls taking their black men, and they dislike this commercial intensly.

Also, please don't use the generic descriptor 'conservative'. There are many of us who are fiscally conservative and socially progressive. Living within ones means is not a racist concept.

June 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Opizze

Living within your means is not a conservative only concept either.

June 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • nsl

If you're socially liberal, then where is your voice in condemning the hatred and racism in the Rep's party. All we hear is silence, and that's never going to get my vote or anything from me except disgust, and a vote for the other guys and gals.

The only thing we hear today from the Reps is hatred of people of color, any color, hatred of non-Christians, hatred of women, hatred of older people who worked hard their whole lives and who now sees the Reps trying to ensure they can't get medical insurance and will have the Social Security income they earned through their hard work taken away.

I ask again, if that's not you, then where is your voice, as all we hear from conservatives is either hate speech or silence, and silence is no better than hate in this case.

June 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debra

There is a 4th group. I`m a conservative and I approuve this commercial. It`s cute and it is about time!

June 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Martin

What is a pure race? Do you think that you are pure? You sound very arrogant to me. Maybe we should all be one race with one language so people like you would have one less thing to be frightened about.

June 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Subramanian Venkatraman

For a change could you think over where America would have been if we continued in the same vein as our forefathers 200 years before? We will still have more than half of the population under bondage. Probably we will be spending more than half of our national budget in protecting ourselves from our own people. We would be staunch believes in the policy of "Might is Right" (Some of us still think so!). Our women will still be cooking and stitching and bearing children. What does a man, who owns a herd of cattle, do most of the day? Tend the herd and make most of it. If you were owning a herd of cattle or a herd of men, you would have been doing the same thing. Most likely we would be one better than the poorest of the poor African nation!

June 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Wake Up

Racism is alive and well stop trying to downplay this outrage with "oh they'll die out" FYI it's not the "old white men" that you think it is.

June 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. raymond cook

Whatever happened to people being judged on the content of their character?

June 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TAK

The problem, as usual, is too many people without character are doing the judging.

June 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

"Whatever happened to people being judged on the content of their character?"

You just stated that the President of NOW should be a man, if he has good content of character.

Ditto with the Association of WWII Veterans: a 20-year-old with LOTS of character.

June 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • FrmrMrine

No he didn't. He didn't advocate anyone being given a position on the basis of their gender or age. He said people should be judged on the content of their character. I'm 5' 6". I will never be an NBA star. But that has nothing to do with the content of my character. Similarly, being a black man married to a white woman isn't the same as holding a position in an organization that exists for the promotion of one gender's or one association's goal. It's participation in a universal institution open to all people.

June 1, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • nsl

You know that's a bunch of nonsense. You know that's not what that means. So why do you bother to say such garbage.

June 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Dang right! The little girl is fat, is a horrible dresser, and can't talk well. That's not my idea of cute.

June 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Pensimmon

Cute ad. You are trying to reach all your target market, which includes mixed race couples for sure. Congratulations on recognizing all families.

June 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Martin

What if all you people that find mixed race families disgusting have a son or daughter who marries into another race? Do you stop loving that child or do you open your heart to acceptance? Isn't loving well the only thing that really matters?

June 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Happy Gilmore

This video is pretty funny. I like it. I will buy some more cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Belseth

It's a cute commercial. I noticed it was a mixed race couple but I know so many of them including my sister's family it didn't strike me personally as all that odd. 40 years ago and maybe even 30 years ago I would have expected it to raise eyebrows but it's so common now it's almost more bizarre that people see a problem. Sadly I think it's more an issue now than it would have been 15 years ago. Conservative racists are embolden these days and feel like they have to defend racial purity, gee it does sound Nazi like doesn't it. A lot of them are freaked out at having a mixed race President, yes President Obama isn't black it's just as much white. He's the future all you racists out there. Already from genetic testing they are finding most Americans have some black, native american or Asian blood in them. In another hundred years it'll be rare to not have. In a thousand in the US at least race will be such a blurry line there will be no definable races. Some parts of the world will probably refuse to mix but the US will be one big unhappy family whether people like it or not.

June 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Happy Gilmore

Love the video. Sad to see all the racists comments. Hicks please go. No one wants you here.

June 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • FrmrMrine

I propose a new constitutional convention of the states with a view toward allowing the South to establish a new third world racist homophobic nation. Who's with me?

June 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Pohakulua

Funny- I watched this on tv and didn't even notice anything different about it. It is normal for me. Though that may be that 42 years ago I married a dark skinned polynesian man and yes we are still together and still blissfully in love.

You love the person and it matters not what race they are. I love my beautiful brown children too.

June 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mary, Ohio

Whites are already a world minority. Until I start reading these posts, I don't realize how many uneducated, rigid, backward people there are in this country. It's very sad, especially since your children are in the 21st century with 19th century upbringings. They're in for a shock.

June 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chewbacca

Mixed-race families and the half-breeds they produce are DISGUSTING!!

June 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Stay pressed, white boy.

June 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • martin

With a name like chewbacca, I can only assume that you are an ape!

June 2, 2013 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Well said, many if not most are ugly.

June 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Red

Of course it's causing a stir. If it ain't white, then white people will moan and groan about it. Go back to the mountains of Europe. What a bunch of crybabies and sissies.

June 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. beisbolfan

Why does CNN invite posts and then never allow them. I wrote a response to this simply stating a fact: most white people do not want their daughter to have a black baby. And THAT is considered too horrible to post? CNN does NOT welcome a "lively and courteous" discussion. CNN ONLY allows politically correct opinions, period.

June 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

false – This "white" woman with her "white" family would welcome any child of any color as long as there was love and respect. Don't give me that "majority" crap. Times are changing!

June 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsl

You're obviously a liar considering we just read your post. Why do you go troll elsewhere with you racism and hatred.

June 1, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

And most non-whites partic from asian cultures do not want their children having marrying into the white race & having 1/2 white children, so u see it is on both sides.

June 2, 2013 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • anita

And most non-whites (esp from other cultures) do not want their children having marrying into the white race & having 1/2 white children, so u see it is on both sides.

June 2, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  44. Fletch

Love this commercial! Love it! About time they showed a NORMAL interracial family. And I agree, the racism thing is overblown. A few idiot morons out there don't define the vast majority of decent people here in the US and does NOT define the US as a racist country. Bravo, General Mills.

PS. don't be surprised if a lot of those racists are other black people. We've already had prominent black celebs come out and say they don't like IR couples (Jill Scott, Common).

June 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tom

I can't believe (it is not butter and) how backwards people are who have an issue with interracial couples. Kudos for putting this ad on TV and I would like to see more of it.

June 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Phillip Bunn

There is certainly nothing wrong with the family structure presented here, but Cheerios is simply trying to market a product, so to them its all about money, media marketing techniques, and how they can best be exploited.

June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

It's not the family "structure" that is the problem. Duh.

June 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • pinny dinster

when I saw the ad, I threw out the cheerios. WHY? the ad made me sick.

June 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mike

I threw it out too. I'll never buy another one of their products. The last thing this country needs is an organization that big normalizing what is not. If that was the way things are supposed to be, sheep would have longer legs and cows shorter.

June 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • jamison

I would rather have this family live next door to me than some hypocritical evangelical white trash.

June 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bilbo

Frankly, I'd rather throw you out in with the trash and keep the Cheerios. The Cheerios is good for my health and won't make me sick to my stomach like you.

June 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

wow, amazing the level of racism this ad has brought in what white people think, rest-assured, many non-whites do not think too differently from u on this issue, they don't want the dissolution of their race with the white race.

June 2, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  47. Skeptimist

You make a good point. Perhaps the wider story is that a commercial advertiser would spend big bucks producing an ad that most of us simply enjoy while being willing to go "in your face" against the remaining miscreants who are out there. I applaud General Mills for this contribution to decency.

June 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Southernsuga

I saw the ad today. It was disgusting. I thought it was photo shopped, as no one was in the same room and their faces were not pointed in the direction of the other person. It should still be against the law, to marry outside the race. Disgusting.

June 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • gman

Amen! Well said indeed!

June 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

It should be against the law to allow ignorant uneducated people like you get married period. Yet, you still have rights just like everyone else. Know why? BECAUSE WE'RE ALL THE FREAKING SAME!

June 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • nsl

Exactly right.

June 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • owleyes11

I agree. My Chinese grandparents didn't want their daughter to marry a white man back in 1918, but married they did. We have to keep the Chinese blood pure without any contamination from the whites.

June 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TAK

Southernsuga, it's people like you that make me think that eugenics isn't such a bad idea.

June 1, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

This right here? This is why White people should learn to stop talking sometimes.

I'm mixed race and I hope my very existence aggravates you.

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

So many people agree w/ u, they prefer it when other cultures do not marry into the white race, they prefer that they preserve their own culture.

June 2, 2013 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  49. Kyle

"Diversity" = Death for the White race.

June 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • law

funny...Nobody says anything when white guys date other races. Just because the script is flipped all the white people saying something.

June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary, Ohio

White people are already the world's minority. Read a book.

June 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • David B.

Education and acceptance= death of morons like you

June 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Oh look. Stormfront BUGS are here trying to be relevant!

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

as i mentioned before, u should keep it alive because no one else wants to be a part of it.

June 2, 2013 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  50. Lorton

Why is realism necessary? I don't care for TV commercials with people who look like you and me and our families. You want me to buy breakfast cereal, show me a TV family from the '50s living in their shiny suburban house.

June 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merle Wayne

Yes. I remeber the TV ads from the 50's. All lilly white. But then, that's what you really want, isn't it?

June 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lorton

In popular culture, the 1950s is widely idealized as "the good old days." Beaver Cleaver and all that. Perfect families depicted on TV. Just because your people were repressed isn't my problem. There was plenty of nastiness going on back then–the world was NOT perfect–but it wasn't depicted on TV. My point is that TV should be a fantasy escape. There's nothing wrong with the family depicted in this TV commercial, but I see no need to go to lengths to depict a realistic family.

June 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

So you prefer the drug-infested, violent, criminal, low work ethic, thug/gang/broken family culture of the impoverished minority communities as the model to follow?

June 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lavender

1) If they are happy, WHO CARES that they are different races!
    2) If they are happy, WHO CARES that she looks no more than 30 and he is old enough to be bald!
    3) It is a SUPER CUTE commercial that I laugh at every time it is on TV.
    4) you racist non-people can leave my Jewish/Native America/Black/Irish/Dutch/French/German/Russian/Scottish children ALONE
    🙂 PEACE ALL!!!!

June 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  52. gman

I don't care what all the rest of you say. I find this commercial to be disgusting and very thinly disguised propaganda to promote race mixing and the extermination of the white race. Mock if you will but I stand by my words!!!

June 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

I agree. I was disgusted, as well. Glad my family stayed white.

June 1, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • ccccc

For now, but whether you like it or not, some where down the line, you will have an ancestor of another race. I'm sure you will be long forgotten by that point, so sleep tight.

June 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • getoverit

Must have been fairly easy for your family to stay white, what with all the inbreeding that happens in the south. Your disgusting comments prove that you've suffered from the cognitive deficiencies that occur as a result of generations of first cousins procreating.

June 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • subman669

My wife and I are Caucasian. One of our son's-in-law is Korean. He and his wife adopted a little boy who has a Black mother and a Polynesian father. Do you know what makes that little boy? OUR GRANDSON! You, whomever you are, are a Moron. Hurry up and change into your hood, I think your Klan Meeting is getting ready to start.

June 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

Also glad my family stayed non-white, hopefully will continue to do so.

June 2, 2013 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Those of you that have a problem with this can just stay as lesser evolved humans for all I care, but you shouldn't breed. America has enough white trash as it is.

June 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  53. slawson

In 2013, why would anyone even care? I mean really? Interracial couples and families are a dime a dozen. If people haven't seen any they must live in a cave. If people have a problem with it they need to go live under a rock. The world is changing, so please get over it quickly.

June 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Skeptimist

Delightful ad. Charming kid, sweet mom and the joke's on dad. The message is wholesome people enjoy our wholesome food. Unfortunately, some unwholesome people prefer to make unholy fools of themselves.

June 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUTH

God intended for 2 giraffes to mate,2 cats,2 dogs ,2 cows...not a cat and a dog,not a cow and a giraffe,not a blue jay and a cardinal....get my drift?

June 1, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • ???

Are you insinuating that whites aren't human beings?

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Slipthalo

I got your drift and I definitely disagree with it.......

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

Hmm....Can a dog with brown spots love a dog with black spots? Sure they can. They're both dogs genius. And for all the white folks on here believing that there white family is going to stay white.....I am sure John Boehner thought the same thing. (Karma is a beast folks)

June 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

Ur right Ruth, western culture is so different from other cultures, it is almost as if it is another species.

June 2, 2013 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

LOL Wholesome? Only in a blackman's eyes.

June 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Skeptimist

Southernsuga: Assuming you are from the South, you may be shocked to learn that it is a statistical certainty that, going back just a few generations, it is a statistical certainty that your extended family includes a number of black cousins. American Indians, and...(shudder) a few democrats. None of us really knows what our ancestors were up to. But, of course, that doesn't mean you're not a sweet person.

June 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

Is the girl in the video your sister or something? I can feel the hate radiating off of your screen name.

June 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

The cereal is disgusting, they are only pulling the multicultural race card to sell more bad cereal to gullible people like you. The little girl is fat, angry, and can't speak or dress well. The mom doesn't look happy, she looks constipated.

June 2, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  55. GetReal

I am Shocked...She wasted all those Cheerios on his shirt......

June 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Rita

I find it quite sad that we live in a world where one must be critized for whom we fall in love with. I am a 56 yr old white woman and happily married for 18yrs to a black man. We have three beautiful white grandchildren that are my son's whom we have guardianship of and to them he is simply Papa and they love him unconditionally. My husband has no children and when they came to live with us his reply was, he wasn't given the chance to be a father nor a grand-father and now he has been blessed to be a role model in these children 's life and yes they will grow into responsible adults who will accept people for who they are and not the color of their skin.

June 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

Dreadful. Didn't your parents teach you better?

June 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Doug

Southernsuga – you must be one GIANT hickerbilly redneck without an ounce of commensense whatsoever. I hate it for your parents!!!

June 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Rob

You are a racist. And you are also wrong and uneducated. The US population will be majority caucasian for centuries. Eventually when a person that is 1/4 Hispanic no longer is able to say they are Latino then you will realize how statistics and critical thinking aid in seeing the truth. Just because all the minorities together will be greater in number than Caucasians doesn't mean there will be no Caucasians.

June 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ggbblue

"Prefer their own"?? People write this kind of thing and have no idea how ignorant they are. That is frightening.

June 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  59. rasPutin

You mean that interracial marriage was still illegal in some US states until 1967!!!!? We were probably the last nation on earth with such a stupid law. Othello, written in 1603 was about a mixed marriage (though it did not end well, for dramatic reasons), showing much of the world was ahead of the US by about 360 years.

June 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Oh yeah, the world has been doing sooooo well must be all that interracial breeding making things better.

June 2, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. BoulderBiker

Mix it up people! The more we mix the better we get!

June 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

I whole-heartedly disagree.

June 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Himteckerjam

How about I do it for the sole purpose of making you rage, then? Would you like that?

My white husband waves hello.

June 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merle Wayne

Kyle, BoulderBiker is right. It's a matter of genetics. That's why there is such a thing as sex, after all.

June 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Shelize

To be honest that was the cutest thing I have ever seen. I agree with the other poster I wouldn't have noticed the race if some didn't point it out. I think that says something in itself.

June 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bonzo

I didn't even notice the couple was mixed race until someone pointed it out... just weird people got so worked up over it..

June 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Justin H

It's only causing a stir among bigots. Any normal person understands there is nothing wrong with an interracial family.

June 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • texasgoat

Hmmmmmmm, 0ver 90% of blacks voted for obama, racial pride or bigotry?

June 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • YoungNiceGuy

Mixture of the first and the fact Obama best represented the interests of Black people. Blacks would have voted for the Democrats overwhelmingly even if Obama wasn't running. The Republican Party doesn't appeal to Black Americans.

June 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cletus

And only 10% voted for Herman Cain in the primaries, common sense or coincidence?

June 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Quite possibly the fact that Romney singled out those on welfare, undermined higher education and affordable healthcare for all while coming off as a pompous rich white guy that will say/do anything for power might have something to do with it.

June 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Adam

95% of African Americans are Democrats and have voted for white candidates for ages, this time we had another choice and chose our President...so what's your point? Democrats vote for democrats!

June 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • slawson

And over 90% of blacks probably voted for the Kennedy's, Clinton, and Kerry, too. So what, since most just happen to be democrats. Why is that surprising and a shock to you? The next democratic president will probably get the same number of votes. Will you also be mad then? Sheesh, you really are an ignorant person, huh?

June 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • me

At least you got your name right

June 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Or EBT cards

June 3, 2013 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • lsgyrl

You left out none of the above.

June 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  64. sandy

It's 2013 people why is this even an issue. We all bleed red

June 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

Their blood being just a little 'darker' red. LOL

June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  65. When To See It

Well seeing as how Cheerios is accepting of all kinds of folks one can only wonder when they will start airing their next commercial using a family with two parents of the same gender? After all, there should be nothing wrong with that either if we want to keep prejudice out of the picture.

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • In Agreement

Yes! That is certainly a commercial that is Long Overdue! The fact is that there are many same-gender couples who live together and are even married legally these days and who either adopt children or have them naturally. Therefore, Cheerios needs to start airing those type of commercials also posthaste to reflect the changes that are now a reality in America!

June 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freedom from fools

Why does it matter? If it's not your family, keep your nose out of it. Like sandy said, we all bleed red.

The commercial is long past due. And it represents American reality for a lot of families. The ignorant comments that have been and continue to be made are ridiculous. We're human first...and like it or not, that makes us all related!

June 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Southernsuga

Geeeeeeeez. Talk about repulsive! Bring me my bible and boycott Cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  66. JamVee@hotmail.com

I think this is much ado about nothing. When I was a young man (1960s), a mixed race couple was a bit shocking. However, we live, we learn and we evolve. It is no longer shocking, and in fact, when I see it today, I hardly pay any attention to it.

June 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. The Other Side

But one must also take into account that there are even many Black people who prefer to keep their race within the confines of their own and not marry into Whites. Many Whites feel the same way which is their right to do as that is a very personal matter that no one should interfere with. However, many still do not fully accept inter-racial marriage here and so there is that problem that continues to linger and exist and may continue indefinitely. Others may be more accepting but yet others are not. It is a Fact of life.

June 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindy

Then there are blacks who only date whites....Wier.

June 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • slawson

And then their are white men that only date black women like my husband, brother-in-law, and white uncles. You know opposites attracting do go both ways you know.

June 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Southernsuga

It's just an inferiority complex. The want to appear white and acceptable.

June 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Korie Prince

all i know is, when that dude woke up with the Cheerios on his chest, I LOLed!!! hahaa

June 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  69. pam milton

The fact that anyone even commented is sad. I pray for the day that seeing inter-racial families would not even draw a response at all. I long for the day that we can just see each other's heart and not the color of their skin.

June 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Brendan

I am really sick of contrived controversies. I believe this is one. My family is Irish. My wife's family is Latvian. My son is of Roma extraction (that is gypsy for the less educated both liberal and conservative out there.) My brother is married to a wonderful wife who is Indian – She has even been mistaken for being Muslim on the original 9/11 by some democrats union thugs in New Jersey. POINT is we are past this in my family. My guess is the nation is past it. The only people not past it are the remaiining genetically challenged folks who never will get past "miixed race"
    Oh and we all love CHeerios...... 🙂

June 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Well said, the majority of us wouldn't have batted an eyelash at this, and probably wouldn't even have noticed or cared. Evolution has not been kind to some of the inbred racist folk who shun science and knowledge and common sense. The problem is that they breed more than more successful and intelligent people, causing natural selection to fail. Ideally we will someday throw all of these lesser un-evolved humans into a big pit and let them fight each other for food., the future of the species is at stake here, and we can't afford the bottom of the barrel of the gene pool to succeed any longer 😉

June 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Dan Creagan

When I first viewed it, I was surprised but not shocked. Cute kid – but a worn approach that is kind of irritating. I'm not against the mixed race idea – I'm against the showing of one more dumb dad and smart wife/kid. The whole thing is really getting to be a worn out theme. Race? Meh... not an issue for me. Apparently it is for others so kudos to Cheerios for putting it out there. Just wish they had been more creative with the other parts.

June 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

I don't see why you think the dad was portrayed as dumb. He was sleeping one minute, then he woke up. There was nothing to indicate his level of intelligence.

June 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • adodom50

Dad sleeping, not dumb. Anyone who says they don't recognize race in this country is delusional. Recognition is not race-hate – just natural.

June 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  72. JanetMermaid

Wow the stupid is strong in those haters. This is a clever, funny, lovely commercial.

June 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  73. tv22

Where do these people live that they don't see interracial couples all the time? Strange. What's funny is that in the South, where I live, there are many more interracial couples than there are in the northern, liberal states.

June 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dale Carlton

When did you take that head count?

June 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Payne

lol @ Dale

June 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • slawson

I live in the south, too. I've lived in California, Oregon, Florida, Washington, and Puerto Rico. Yes, I agree, there are many interracial couples in the South comparable to the other states. Genuine love is color blind. Hate is blinded by color, unfortunately.

June 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  74. 2Dads+BiracialChild

Maybe marketing agencies should use computer programs to generate various combinations of people to put together as families in ads - because that's a lot like how the real world is. People from different backgrounds meet and fall in love and form families, and all are equally valid. Mixed race, same gender, blended/step, adoptive, foster - they are all families and they experience many of the same struggles and same joys. It does have a huge impact when we see the same diversity in media that exists today in our daily lives. It affirms to families who feel different that they are essentially like other families and it helps break down old models that some people still have about what a 'real family' should be or has to be. Cheers to you, Cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  75. RachaelA

People need to get over who others marry and everyone's race. I could care less what race someone is, what "color" their skin is or what religion they practice. All I see ar their actions and how they treat others. That's all that should matter anyway. Too many people spend too much time judging everyone around them and think they have a "right" to make a judgement. They forget they also have a right to shut the hell up and not force their prejudices on the rest of us.

June 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  76. mark

Ok, no big deal, just not very realistic when you look at the actual statistics of mixed race families.
    But when has advertising been a window into the real world?

June 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JanetMermaid

Explain. I know a number of VERY HAPPY mixed race families.

June 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • amy

That is my world...and my family is very real. Put a boy instead of a girl in the commercial...and that is my family. My hope is that one day my family will be seen just as that...a family...with no other adjectives in front of it.

June 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Sherri

I see mixed families, when I am out, all the time. At the grocery story, playground, school etc. I'm sure they buy Cheerios at some point. This is nothing new really. But I'm sure Obama and his mom raised eyebrows when he was young. A young African American boy and a white woman. Oh how WILL we survive??

June 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Q1

If you go to a park and see 10 children of all different races playing together, you see 10 children playing together. Whatever happens between childhood and adulthood needs to stop. If I had seen this commercial on TV the thought of race would never have entered my mind. People who don't like this need to either remove themselves from the gene pool or join the rest of the educated human race.

June 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

The people that need to leave the gene pool are the thousands of uneducated black kids that have no family structure. Maybe Cheerios should promote something worthwhile instead of destroying more lives with the one black guy out of 100000 that gets a white girl.

June 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Payne

She actually was referring to clowns like you who need to take themselves out of the gene pool. You are a disgrace to you race and a sad excuse for a human being!

June 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Regina Morris

It's a Cheerio's ad. Get over it and focus on more serious problems. Like hungry children here in the US, the continued 'voluntary' segregation in South Africa, pollution... pick one.

June 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melangell

C'mon, right wingers gotta hate. Don't take that away from them. They have little else.

June 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Brett

It is just wrong!!! Interracial couples are just WRONG!!! A black and white SHOULD NEVER marry OR date!!! It is just WRONG!!

June 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsgyrl

ROTFLMAO Get over it!!

June 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  81. JERSEYTOMATO

Tomatoes come in all shapes and colors and they are all delicious! -JERSEYTOMATO 2012

June 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  82. randy

Crazy. I am a white 56 year old male. I saw this ad and just thought it was clever and cute. I saw two parents and a child and didn't even notice the parents were of different race until I read this story. On reflection had the parents been of the same gender I would have noticed. I would have thought good for you Cheerios, but sadly, still i would have noticed. Hopefully someday we'll all just see people as people.
    Anyway, thank you Cheerios. You did good.

June 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mark

Where is the story here? A handful of people made sarcastic, racist, statements on the comments section of a web-site? That is considered a "stir?"

June 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JanetMermaid

The story is how much we still suck as a species, how petty we still are, how mean we still are. We may have smart phones but we ourselves apparently aren't very far out of the cave.

June 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  84. NIcole

This commercial is true to life. I find it funny to those that find it intriguing or dislike the reality of mixed families. This commercial and its negatives reactions remind me of when I went to the grocery store last week w/ my daughter. When we were at the register, the cashier says to my daughter (9 y/o) that she is beautiful. My daughter thanks her. The cashier, a "white", "Caucasian", early 20's female, says..."What are you?". My daughter didn't know what she meant nor did I. Did she think that my daughter was not from this planet? So I asked what she meant. Addressing my daughter, she asked if she was white and black. For a second I thought of the cookie. Still finding humor in her so direct question, I told the cashier that she was first of all human much like her and then she was Cuban and Dominican. I just had to laugh after that. I don't get mad for those that are ignorant. Nor do I let it bother me for those that choose to see the reality of the wonderful world that we live in that has beautiful colors and races. We are all humans and much conceived the same way and unfortunately we die not the same way but we die. If a colored speck makes you look the other way, then you should have been born to live a bland life of gray. Yay to Cherrios!

June 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • HappyMom

Nicole,

My guess is that your cashier was well-meaning, but simply couldn't express her question properly. Also, it's not the sort of question I'd pose to a young child.

Once, when I was helping staff a Girl Scout cookie booth, I helped two gorgeous young women in their 20's who were twins. These women were simply stunning, but looked so unlike any race I'd ever met. I did strike up a conversation as to their nationality. Turned out they were from Nepal. This, in turn, led to a conversation about how wonderful and unique Nepalese food is. (I had eaten it recently at a local restaurant.) We talked about the restaurant, how long they'd lived in this country, where they were attending college, etc. Rather than having a discussion about race, we were discussing culture and their lives as young students. I don't believe they were offended, and we had an informative, interesting exchange.

FWIW, I am a 56-YO-white female of European descent. Been married twice, both times to Jewish men. My children are ethnically half-Jewish (although the Jewish faith does not recognize them as such). One daughter is a lesbian. I also have been in long-term relationships with men from other races. Does any of this matter? No, not at all. What matters is who a person is.

And yes, I love Honey-Nut Cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  85. RS

This is the first commercial I've seen with an interracial couple. What other commercials with interracial couples were there?

June 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  86. david tirpak

I am blessed married to an frican american woman. It is a wonderfil experience. She is from Central America and speaks Spanish. I enjoy cajun food(her sister lives in New Orleans), spanish food and food from Belieze(powered buns and johnny cakes and plantain. God put us together. I have a more exciting life than I would have had I married a white woman!

June 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Tong

Sounds like She is really Hispanic & not African American. Technically African American is really a broad term and consists of some subcultures. Anyone black isn't really African American. There are blacks in central and South America since centuries. Mainstream African American in the USA is a black guy who can trace his ancestors to the enslaved people from Africa. There are others who may be of African descent but don't trace back to slavery. We also have African immigrants. The last two in the list are quite different from the first. Example is Barack Obama. He does not carry any baggage of slavery & the sense of perpetual victim hood. I have has the privilege of knowing some from the 2nd group. They hate to be clubbed along with other "African Americans". They correct people and tell them that they are Africans and not African American.

June 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • mel

Please don't define people by using your own personal racist lens. Let them define themselves. If the man says his wife is African American that is probably how she defines herself. I am from Panama and take a lot of pride in my heritage and consider myself African American as well. And I've been happily married to an African American man for many years. You sound like the one carrying around all the baggage!

June 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Southernsuga

Sounds more like Mayan Indian.

June 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cool J

Good point David. However, you didn't touch on the fact that Hispanic Blacks are also descendants of slaves brought to the New World. The only difference was that they were brought over by the Spanish Conquistadors as opposed to the British Imperials. I should know, I'm Black Hispanic of Puerto Rican descent. I can trace my roots through slavery and also all the way back to a Spanish Royal Family complete with a Coat of Arms. The point I'm making is that it's not just North American Blacks that were burdened with the ugly weight of slavery.

June 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • GetReal

With descendants from Africa and her being from Central America...that does make her African American...Just not from the US. North, Central and South America all make up the America's

June 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sco

Hispanic food. NOT Spanish. Big difference.

Also, it'd be no different if you married a woman from Europe. Race doesn't define how much fun you have with a partner. (And lol, you can't even spell her birth country's name right.)

June 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  87. mavilj

it's a lovely ad!

June 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  88. mavilj

it's a lovely commercial!

June 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Ed

I'm glad for the existence of such commercials.

However, it's sad that the commercial would cause any kind of stir.

It shouldn't be an issue any more than a blonde marrying a red-head.

I recall a talk I had with my dad when I was about 14 (say, around '72). I'm white. At 14 (and today, of course), race was not an issue for me, in terms of a girlfriend or a prospective wife (i.e., as far as I knew, my future wife might be black).

My dad was not really opposed to such marriages, but "concerned" might be the right word. He thought that the kids of such marriages would not be treated well by "either group". I thought of us as all as "just people", but realized that people existed who would look down on such children (of course, it is those people who should be looked down on).

In terms of healthy children, it's genetically advantageous, since the odds of reinforcing a bad recessive are less than with two people of close genetic "background".

June 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Josh

I think the fact that this ad is generating discussion at all is a little disheartening. Seems like as a society maybe we haven't made as much progress as we'd like to think (though we have made some). I've seen the commercial, and I honestly hadn't thought about it in any way other than a commercial trying to get me to buy a kind of cereal using a really cute kid and a sweet family dynamic. The races of the actors didn't really even register, until I read this article.

June 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Hunter

The only thing that 'solves' racism is time.

June 1, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Buddy

Yes. Jail time.

June 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • mark

LOL! That take off on the 'Badgers' animated meme flashed in my mind when you said jail time.

June 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Debbie

This is the best comment on this page!!!!

June 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Sasha B

I am a African American woman who identifies as such, although my heritage is mixed . I have an adult daughter who is 1/2 German! How I wish this ad was on tv when she was younger. Why on why are people forced to "Pick" a race?

Uplifting ad... more please!

June 1, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  93. blakenaustin

Is blacks only racist? Is Hispanics only racist? Is Asian only racist? ... However you answer, the same applies to whites only? No double standards.

June 1, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Katy

To answer all of your questions, YES!!!
      Any person that feels they are a superior race or that their race is too good to mix with other races is RACIST! Regardless of where we come from or what shade our skin tones we are all HUMAN and none of us is any better then another!!

June 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Gabreanna

This is by far one of the cutest commercials I've seem in a long time, the little girl is absolutely adorable. Congratulations
    Cheerios....love my Honey Nut:-)

June 1, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  95. tracy

I have DVR and was shocked and rewound it. I thought it was the first time I've ever seen a mixed displayed in a commerical. Yay!!!

June 1, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  96. HONEyWoMAN

When I saw that commercial, I thought, "It's about time!"

June 1, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  97. Millie

Didn't matter what color the parents or the child was. The commercial made me smile. Thank you Cheerios.

June 1, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  98. rswon

I just cracked-up. THAT is the logic of little kids and what makes little kids so cool.

As for the people who are "upset", you're obviously too stupid to understand what's wrong with your beliefs/opinions.

Next up, a same gender couple with a happy healthy child doing something adorable. Progress is good.

June 1, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Fan

Even better, we need to cut across species – a man, female dog, and a baby mongoose.

June 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Debra

There is only one race. The Human race.

June 1, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Kane

You forgot the Kentucky Derby.

June 1, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • HughJass

and the Daytona 500

June 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brewhaho

And the Boston Marathon.

June 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribarian

what a cute lil baby

June 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Trupador

Was the commercial discussing multigrain Cheerios or just the plain ones?

June 1, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Rose

(Trupador) I would say that clearly they were referring to the healthful properties in the multigrain "mixed" variety. 🙂

June 1, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |