May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,491 Responses)
  1. All For Change

My goodness....it is 2013 people. Times have changed. We are all human. In fact, we all may be related. We should all love one another. No hatred.

June 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danw

It's always going to be out there. A lot of folks stare hard at my wife, daughter, and I. My wife is tan, daughter is very dark, and I'm very white lol. We get hated looks from both black and white people. We even get glared at by some mixed racial couples. Which makes both my wife and I confused, but we just ignore them after all this time, because we know we have something that all those hate slinging folks don't. It's simply true love.

June 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • KappaKidToo

Amen to that DanW. I couldn't have said it better: "It's simply true love."
        More people should experience it.

June 3, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Tisha Long

the biracial couples you probably get the stares from are the black men white women because he is probably thinking why is she with that white man and the lady is thinking why is she with the white man for? his money... Sad! There need to be more commercial that represent your family white man with black woman...which is not represented in media at all...except Scandal! LOL

June 3, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Alicia

Danw,
        I second that AMEN!! Sounds like you have a beautiful family and a marriage that exists for love!

June 3, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Eve

I sometimes stare at interracial couples, not out of hatred but out of admiration. I think they are so beautiful and the children have such exotic features which makes me admire them for their beauty not hate them. The most intriguing couples are the black women with fair skinned, blonde hair, blue eyed babies that they birthed, which only reminds me that we are all related. That from black emerges all colors and people. People who fear interracial couples, fear their offspring because they show how much we have in common. If God were to make the color test of love a key to going to Heaven, then there will only be a few people there and whole lot of folks in Hell!

June 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

You are absolutely right. I am an old hippie and all this love, love, love, is making me want some Mary Jane.
        To Eve, your name is quite appropriate. But I don't think the Bible makes love a test for Heaven (unless it's your love for God himself) I don't think you want to mix religion into the discussion. As soon as you say "God created Man in his own image", you open up a new can of worms. God = Male/Female, Old/Young, White/Other, etc. etc. The pope has announced that atheists can go to heaven. The Anglican Church says that no one has gone to Heaven (except for Mary), and will not go to Heaven until after judgement day.
        Oi vey!

June 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

All of change, well, isnt' there hate in families? YEs, it does NOT matter about being related, or being pure, or not. There is too much issues when it comes to this issue. Some blacks hate blacks but they love whites. Some hispanics hate hispanices but love whites. A test was done on little blacks children with different dolls. These kids were asked "what dolls looks the best", the black children picke the white dolls; the white children picked the white dolls. So you see, in the black community, there are still problems of self hate. Even with some blacks who interracial date, many of these blacks will make bigot comments about their own black people as if to justify why they are with whites. This is the black community is STILL dealing with today. This is why I say, this issue is BEYONd some commerical.

June 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

I can tell clearly that you have no experience in life, not only are you not confronting what I said, you don't even have an understand of modern life. Your boring, overused talking points are RIGHT off what you see other say on the internet.

June 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Midgick

Here's the point. Kids are color and religeous blind. It's the parents that shapes either hatred or understanding. I saw a movie the other day called Love Actually. It's a British film. One of the sub plots has a white young boy in love with an African American girl. There are other sub stories going on that are multi racial. What I'm getting at is you are what you eat. you are what you preach and you are what you teach your children.
    In a certain time period( & I don't know the exact date), the World as we know it will be totally integrated. It's like birth, taxes and death. It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

June 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mogran

Maybe but it'll take hundred if not thousands of years...I'm not convinced

June 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

I was thinking today about all the people who used to have children by their slaves who they didn't acknowledge as their own children. Thank God we're far past that level of crap. Ignorance is ignorance.

Fortunately, kids today are growing up in a multicultural environment.

June 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tam

Well, that help created the light skin v/s dark skin issue in the black community. Some light skinned black think they are better than the dark skinned blacks. This is a deeper issue than some cereal ad.

June 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Squeezebox

The slaves must've been holier than their masters if their children were born by "immaculate conception" >;)

June 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

Oh really, you honest think children of today are colorblind? I think not.

June 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

Re-read what he wrote again. Children, without negative outside influence on racial stereotypes, do in fact behave as color blind. In tests designed to elicit a response indicating a skin color difference, children who were raised in color blind households did not give these responses. So by our individual nature, yes, kids are color blind. It is only when the influence of parents or larger groups are placed upon them that racial divisions come into play.

June 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

What in the world is a color blind household? Do you mean everyone suffers from color blindness and cannot distinguish between red and green? Do you mean they are raised in a mixed family and not allowed to go out side the house? I have never heard of such a study. Kids are extremely curious about everything. They will ask explicit, often embarrassing questions, like why is daddy so fat? Or why is mommy so white? By the third grade they will have a clear notion of who they are and how they fit into the scheme of things. They are born innocent, but that don't last long. They know how to lie and steal soon after they learn how to walk and talk. Get real!

June 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John Yaya

Awesome! About time we started representing human beings as they actually are in the media instead of shilling to the those last few vestiges of a bygone era who find comfort and security in ignorance. Those dreadful few who cling to racism and self-imposed ignorance refusing to realize that those ideologies have no place in the world of tomorrow.

June 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

"Racism"and"Racist" two non existent words invented by Marxists of the 1920's as a derogotory term for whites who resisted marxist doctrines

June 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • thomas

Look around at the world instead of latching onto whatever the currently accepted liberal mindset happens to be.

June 4, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. angryblackman

The ad was fine. The fact that the dad was black and mom was white is not an issue for most americans. Its that small 30% group that cant stand to see a strong successful black man. Same people that cried foul when the cosby show told america that blacks could be successful, smart and professionals and have a family not ripped apart by drugs and poverty. The concept of a strong black man threatens the instinct of racist whites. It just shows that while they are fighting to end abortion and their own so called "purity" is disappearing we the people are finally becoming a real melting pot. The commercial was great and more need to be made that way.

June 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

This is controversial?

What year is this? 1920?

By the way, a black father who is part of the family. Isn't that what we need more of?

June 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DM

Lots of comments at times and in places like these just go to show how far humans have NOT evolved from slime mold beginnings: we seem to continue some traits.

June 2, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. rose

Love this ad. I am so glad Cheerios is standing behind it and not pulling it due to some backwards thinking individuals.

June 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amused

It amazes me how a tiny minority of internet trolls makes news. Apparently, the media has not picked up on the annoying trend of internet trolling. Race trolling is among the easiest because it elicits such visceral reactions. But trolls can be found on just about any comment section about a controversial subject. And that's just what they are: Trolls. This is not a case of a massive number of racists opposing interracial marriage. This is a tiny minority of trolls who very likely don't even care about the subject, but get a kick out of trolling people.

June 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck88888

Your post is 100% correct. Would not surprise me if General Mills "astro-turfed" some of the trolls just to generate publicity for this commerical.

June 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KarmaBurning

It wasn't too many years ago that Verizon had a fairly long-running ad featuring a multi-racial family. The only obvious difference? The Verizon ad featured a white father and black mother. Kudos in my eyes to Cheerios for having the courage to flip things around. Unfortunately, it would seem that the problem really might be about black males specifically rather than a more general racial thing.

June 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Loathstheright

The regressive conservatives hate reality.

June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Yea... just like the southern baptists kicking out the Boy Scouts because they made a decision to include ALL young boys and not be judgmental or prejudice toward ALL GOD'S CHILDREN.

June 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck88888

You are confused, it is generally liberals who deny reality.

June 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gwats

I'm always curious and exited to meet people of different races and backgrounds when I travel, and I see no problem marrying outside your race. I did it, after 22 years, we're still going strong. My son has friends from all races, and if he waits for a Filipino/Black Girl to marry, he could be in for a very long wait!

June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. France's love

god was color blind apparently...too but the human race isn't!

June 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Phaerisee

I have seen the commercial and it did not even register that it was a "mixed race" family to me until this article pointed it out. What I remembered from the commercial was that the little girl believed pouring Cheerios on her sleeping Dad would be good for her heart. The fact that we are even having this discussion shows that we live in a society of veiled racism. People can act moral and righteous on the outside, even be pastors and community leaders. But inside, over the dinner table are the jokes about African-Americans with the children. The appearance of Virtue will not get us into Heaven. Jesus talked about people like that when he says he "never knew them." Appearance of Virtue is not Virtue.

June 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gwats

What a gem of a commercial! I loved, hell, I'm living it....married 22 years to beautiful Filipina with a young son, now 20!

June 2, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • sybaris

What's 7th Fleet taste like?

June 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • sybaris

"we live in a society of veiled racism"

and anybody who doesn't think so has never experienced racism nor can they recognize the subtleties of it

June 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wanda

I saw that commercial on tv and didn't realize that was an interracial couple. Maybe I should pay more attention, or maybe it doesn't matter.

June 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

It doesn't matter.

June 2, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

It doesn't matter to YOU.

June 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ginny Morris

As the aunt of two beautiful mixed race girls (and another on the way) I was thrilled to see someone who looks like my nieces portrayed as having parents of different races instead of falsely portrayed as either black or white.

June 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ohsnap

I think it's sad when a commercial with a family of HUMAN BEINGS generates such hateful comments.

June 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jeff

This is a strange world. I had seen this commercial many times without ever even noticing it was a mixed race family.

June 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

See my comment to Wanda above. The human brain was evolved to pick-up on differences. You guys must live in a confusing and scary world if your brain in lacking in that ability. Do pit-bulls and poodles look the same to you too?

June 2, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jesse Pearson

Perhaps the differences were registered as not material enough to note? If I stare at 2 chairs I can see all the little difference between them. Or...since I have better things to do with my life than picking out irrelevant bits of data...I can just register them as "chairs" and move onto more important matters with my limited time on ear.

June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hypatia

Disgusting!

June 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Jessie, As an Army veteran I will say I'm glad Wanda, Jeff, and you were not in my Army unit. If we had all gone to war together my survival would depend on you guys being able to quickly recognize friend from foe, instead of having to stare at someone for 5 minutes to figure out what you were looking at.

June 2, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hypatia

What a shame you are not serving now, under a lack commanding officer.

June 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Do you mean under a BLACK commanding officer?

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but when I was in the Army I DID have black officers and non-commissioned officers that I served under. I did my duty and obeyed my orders as any good soldier would. And on my current job my boss is black. Having professional relationships with blacks has no bearing on my personal views. I am able to separate the two things quite well.

It was Booker T. Washington that said,
      “In all things social we can be as seperate as the fingers, yet one as the hand in all things essential to mutual progress.”

June 2, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Frau Schmidt

Cheerios is plain old disgusting. Tastes like sand and mud ( yeah I played with those when I was a kid). Not sure why people even buy that garbage!

June 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Im Not Racist BUT.....

Yet you have no problem making an offensive statement. Oh I see only your sensibilities are to be respected.

June 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  20. reader10

Media is there to MAKE news.Stirup the pot.

June 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • charles cecil

great commercial. It reflects what America really is today and that's great.

June 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Antronman

All these comments about race...why is everything in America about race? If you don't like Obama, people call you racist. If a non-white is killed by a white it is a racial crime. If a commercial with a cute kid airs on television, it's immediatly about trying to display an interracial family. Can't we just accept that it's an interracial family and an advertisement and get on with ours lives? Or instead of talking about race, talk about the cute kid?

June 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooklynjon

Indeed. The kid IS cute!!

June 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jesse

racial mixing will someday make everyone look the same and be the same. there will be fewer very smart people and fewer very stupid people. genius talents will disappear in favor of above average in some cases. it is a devastating scenario and may take many generations to come to full fruition but will happen. not racist just truthful.

June 2, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • amy

Would love to see the science and reasoning that your "truth" is based upon. Your statement does not make sense to me at all. I don't find your statement racist, just offensive.

June 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Im Not Racist BUT.....

I dont think white people are that stupid, they would water down other races intelligence that much. I dont agree.

June 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Im Not Racist BUT.....

*wouldnt

June 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antronman

You my friend, are old fashioned. You have lamarkian ideals, with people's colors mixing together and features. Genetics are the complete opposite. Different characteristics are randomly inherited and have different probabilites of occuring. If your family has had a long line of interracial marriages, it does not mean your child will be albino because of all those colors. Albinism, for example is a rare mutant gene. The only thing determined during the selection of genes are expressed and carried traits. And even expression can be altered to some extent, by doing an athletic sport everyday, or sitting on a couch in front of a tele. And intelligence is purely determined by the environment a person is brought up in, and education.

June 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • loggie

It is racist and not truthful.

June 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • lewax00

As for the comment on intelligence, assuming it is primarily genetically determined, I've got some bad new for you – there's a strong correlation between intelligence and number of children, and unfortunately it favors the less intelligent. If anything, the human race is likely to become less intelligent over time.

June 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldandtired

If after the Civil War the government had gave people who intermerry some land, cash, mules etc. and had really pushed it think what a wonderful country we'd have by now! Everyone a nice tan, and no racial problems at all.

June 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. brian

Cheerios is one of the highest salt foods you can find. Maybe they are trying to confuse people by throwing race into the picture.

June 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Christy Yamaguci

Why is it that she is a Caucasian but he's an African-American. According to that identification logic he should be a African-Caucasian. What makes him an "American" ? That's not a race.

June 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Interesting

neither is latino, hispanic or asian american but those terms are all used

June 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JC

1. I have watched the ad before, but I didn't see a mixing of the races. Instead I just saw a family in a Cheerios ad. I guess I am becoming color blind.

2. I don't recall anywhere near this kind of a reaction in previous ads made by other companies where they had a White husband and an Asian wife. I am puzzled by this. Would there be a similar reaction if it was a White husband with a black wife? Or how about a mix which is non-white for instance, Asian and Hispanic?

3. I wasn't going to go out and buy Cheerios before, but now I am to show my support for this ad.

June 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I'm going to pick up a box, too.

June 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Better pick up more toilet paper too while you're at it, Cheerios is very gassy stuff, you'll need it. Why buy a box of that junk just to prove you are not a racist? We're a nation of morons. You've let the marketing manipulators have their way. If you like the cereal, buy it; if you don't don't. Cheerios is nasty in my opinion. Leave race out of cereal please. It might burn well in the pellet stove though.

June 2, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Christy Yamaguci

Maybe Cheerios should make a commercial with a working class White guy married to a urban Black woman and see how that flies. If I were a Black woman I would find this ad very annoying.... What's the matter sleeping lazy man... can't find a woman of color good enough?

June 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Interesting

How come thats never said to asian women (what asian men not good enough?). The second group that marries out the most are hispanic women (what hispanic men arent good enough?)

June 2, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

I am white, my wife is black.... My son is mixed..... What is your point? Love is love, and the color of my wifes skin does not enter into the equation, it is all about WHO she is, not WHAT color her skin is..

June 3, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  27. Tamara Wilson-Gilbert-Owens-Smith

Totally obnoxious to Black women. What up?...the fat lazy Black dude can't find a nice Black woman to marry ? He needs a Lilly White liberal looking 1%er to be happy? No more Cheerios for my kids...no Black husband either. He left 9 months before Jamal was even born. BTW...I use now Cheerios to trap the mice...only they seem to like it.

June 2, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. James Williams

Thank-You. We're living in a world where it's increasingly the case that only one world-view is allowed.

June 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

It's interesting to me that whoever wrote this piece said

"The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise."

But I would bet serious money that this person refers to the President at a Black President, when in fact he is anything but. I have nothing against Obama, but, if I held up a piece of paper to President Obama, and that piece of paper was white on one half and black on the other half, and if I asked him what color it was, I don't think that he, or anyone else with a rational thought process would tell me that the color was Black. The response would be white and black, and that is exactly what Obama is. It's a matter of Political Expedience for him that he refers to himself as black. Even the Actor Samuel L. Jackson, who donated $1 million to Obama's re-election campaign, said in an interview that he wished that the Press and Obama would stop saying he is the Nation's first Black President, that he is actually the first mixed race President.

June 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Interesting

Asian women marry out to white males at a far higher rate than black men. Are they TOO sell outs?

June 2, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Robert

Some people yearn for the days of Ozzie and Harriot and the version of America that they represented at that time. That time is long gone.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. John

Why in the world is it anyone's business whether or not some other family is racially mixed? IfI you don't want a racially mixed family don't have one, but other people's lives are none of your business. And if you don't like the commercial turn it off.

June 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Nate

I hate to tell you this (especially race conscious extremists), but eventually all people come and go. That is the nature of Earth's history.

June 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bob

I dream of a time when everyone has the same skin color, exercises religious tolerance, speaks the same language and everyone cares about the welfare of all humans. Unfortunately, nationality, ethnicity and language divide many good people. The day will come if we don't kill each other before it has a chance to happen.

June 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

So Bob, you want a world where everyone speaks one language, is one color, and has the same world view. No differences at all. How utterly boring. Do you wear the same clothes everyday and eat the same thing for dinner every night too?

June 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • pepsee

James Willaims, too bad so many people are white, so many people are black, so many people are brow. and so many people are yeallow. How boring! Too bad each and every person is not of a single colour. Maybe you should paint yourself green to be not boring.

June 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bob

Why yes, yes I do. I also do the same thing over and over kind like groundhog day. You are correct, I guess I did misstate my view. I should have said we should all be cloned from the perfect person.

June 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • oldandtired

James, Everyone brothers & sisters. People getting along, and helpingeach other. No wars, it sure would be borring

June 2, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

Oldandtired, the world you guys describe is not now, never has been, and never will be reality. Humans are tribal by nature and war is as old as human history. You guys can hope for utopia all you want. It's never going to be that way.

June 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bob

James, Unfortunately you are probably right. But that doesn't mean that I cannot hope for a future where our children don't need to worry about hatred, war and famine. Taking the items I mentioned out of the equation only means that you see the person and not all the BS that doesn't matter. You know as well as me that having a particular skin color does not make me like those of a similar skin color. Being a particular religion does not make me like everyone of a particular religion. Diversity remains in the individual unless you are unable to think for yourself. That is why we can have these conversations.

June 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Some of us think the world is a more interesting place with differences, instead of one big brown boring blob of humanity.

June 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Bob, Of course you can HOPE for utopia. I just don't think it will ever happen. We're just a tribal, war mongering species. We always have been and we always will be.

Even if it were possible to achieve utopia, I still think I wouldn't want it. There are big consequences that would come with that that I don't want.

To your point about the nature of each race. Each race DOES have certain behavioral traits (just like dog breeds do) . Why are most people willing to accept differences in dog breeds but not in humans?

That's not to say that 100% of of every person in that race fits the mold, but most DO. Things are not defined by the exception to the rule. They're defined by the rule.

June 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sonia

I, absolutely, loved this commercial! I love to see mixed race couples because it's representative of the wonderful world we live in now. Go Cheerios! 🙂

June 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Interesting

I wonder if it was a white man & asian woman, would the ad have been as controversial?? Or a white man & any non-white woman.

June 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. wmyers4u

I saw this ad one time and my first thought was something to the effect of, "Wow! Was that the first mixed race family commercial I've seen?"

I am not racist at all but I was slightly surprise by it. It's all part of living in a multicultural nation. If you don't like it move to a more wholesome place that resists change differences, like N. Korea or China. I am sure you will be happier there.

June 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JGN

You can be quite sure that career commenters will be sure to make their isolationist ideas known about an ad like this, innocent as it is, given that I just saw one where these cretins were actually arguing about whether a dead storm chaser would be chasing storms in heaven or not! The truest thing about this article is that a cross section of comments taken from the internet is not at all the same as a true cross section of national or international thought, as the gene pool of commenters is overweighted by OCD sufferers, racists, and angry underemployed people.

June 2, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmie Russells

I don't see how people see this ad as "innocent". It was a very calculated and corporate decision to place a multiracial family in the commercial because General Mills obviously felt it would get them the kind of attention that it has.

Hardly "innocent" on General Mills' part.

June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Howard Fites

Being in advertising I can assure you this ad was not developed to create controversy. Companies like General Mills are not on the cutting edge, they are conservative in how they approach advertising. Getting these companies to break the most non controversial convention is extremely difficult. I've had clients that refuse the use of actors of any race except white and blonds only. My largest client, thankfully, is long passed that. General Mills' agency should be congratulated for helping bring a very old company onto the 21st century and recognizing just one variant of the typical American family.

June 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Do you have anything constructive to offer to the conversation, or just personal attacks on people that you disagree with?

June 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

You're right in that comment boards are like fly paper for disturbed people. Sometimes I like it that way, sometimes I don't. It's a great place to vent, and entertaining to hear the gamut of opinions. Why are there so many people that can't tolerate others' viewpoints? No one is forcing anyone else to change their views, why not live and let live? People treat the expression of ideas like it's a contest with the winner getting to be the dictator of the world. So what if somebody's a racist? Let them be, you be what you want to be. Everyone acts like a dang dictator like they are right and somebody else is wrong. You live your life and they'll live theirs. I like non-racists, I like racists too. There are some whites and non-whites I like, and some I don't like. I'm glad there are racists, I like hearing what they have to say, it's their right. And I like hearing the stories of people of color and mixed races. People need to be happy and let others be themselves. Lighten up. And yes, I am one of the angry and underemployed. Sometimes I say outrageous things that people don't like and it feels good to say it. The politically correct, multiculturalists are the most intolerant of all if you don't agree with them.

June 2, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. snowboarder

funny, when i saw the commercial i didn't even notice.

June 2, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. musings

You know what they say in show business – There's no such thing as bad publicity. It's publicity.

June 2, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  40. MLM

I've seen this commercial a couple of times and never thought about the race of the actors till now. All I saw was a cute little girl. Only in America will we make it about the color of their skin.

June 2, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • What!!! What!!!! What!!!!!!

I can only agree with you. There is nothing wrong with this commercial. Makes me want to go buy a box of Cheerios.

June 2, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Marti

What is the big deal? There is an ad for cream cheese now airing with an interracial couple having breakfast in bed, also one for laundry detergent with an implied gay, single father washing his daughters clothes. The advertising world is just recognizing that the modern family comes in all shapes, colors and sizes. The only ones who will get offended are the ones who sit in their tighty whities in their mothers basement spewing their idiotic venom into their foodstained laptops, just like they have been doing since a biracial man was elected president. Get over yourselves, no one cares anymore.

June 2, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Marti

I'm a little disappointed in the censoring tactics. A comment right below mine was removed, I would someone complained about it. While I didn't agree with that poster's comments, he did nothing but state his objection to the ad and his reasons. I thought this was a great topic for discussion and it seems infantile to have a comment removed simply because you don't agree.

June 2, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

I'm one of those people offended by the advertisement. Why? Not because I hate, but because I'm white, I happen to like it that way, and I hope my family will to continue_being white for generations to come. What's wrong with that?

We're constantly bombarded with subliminal (and sometimes blatantly obvious) messages in advertisements, movies, and television shows that push an agenda of race-mixing and I think it's no accident. Quite the opposite actually–I think it's very purposeful indeed!

There's a lot of options between hating someone and wanting that person to marry your sister.

June 2, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
      • JGN

Ha! James Williams comment that his family is white and he 'hopes it will continue to be white for generations to come' is pretty hysterical. I would love to be a fly on the wall when his kids bring home their dates. Which will he choose? The white guy who will grow up to be the unibomber or the Asian guy who will run his own green company or the afro american guy who will write intelligent, hilarious shows for TV?

June 2, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • jazz648

Well said.

June 2, 2013 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Thank You. I think you were referring to my comment. We should be able to have respectful disagreements on issues. Shame on CNN for censoring me.

June 2, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  42. James Williams

We're constantly bombarded with subliminal (and sometimes blatantly obvious) messages in advertisements, movies, and television_shows that push an agenda of race-mixing and I think it's no accident. Quite the opposite actually–I think it's very purposeful indeed!

June 2, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • beisbolfan

Thank you for your courage and honesty. I feel exactly the same way and said so on my post. Usually my posts are removed by the censors on CNN, but somehow this one is still up, after almost 2 hours. I support free speech and I don't care how many people scream that I am a "racist"
      Like you, I don't apologize for being white.

June 2, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

Thank-You beisbolfan. We're living in a world where it's increasingly the case that only one world-view is allowed.

June 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

It's fine if you're family values are to marry within your race. You see many commercials every day that reflect traditional Caucasian families. Having commercials that show something other than a traditional Caucasian family is not an attack on yours, but an acknowledgement that other families exist and are not much different than yours.

June 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

Chris, I understand that mixed-race families exist. My objection is that in advertisements, movies, and television shows, these relationships are over represented in relation to their percentage in the general population.

June 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Suzanne Rice

Here in Georgia, there are many families with one white and one black parent. I am a teacher, and a large percentage of my non-white students don't identify as one race, but are biracial. At least here in Georgia, this is a non-issue. You might think, given the South's race-relations and slavery history, that this would be more of an issue and something that isn't done much, but there are many inter-racial families here. Nobody bats an eye when an inter-racial family is out in public, for example.

June 2, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • musings

I'm thinking that with the demographics of the South, the whole Jim Crow thing was always about keeping things unnatural. Racism is not natural, no matter what its apologists say. The minute you remove the restrictions, people begin behaving like people.

June 2, 2013 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  44. kterry

Went out and bought my first box in decades in support and will remember the lesson! That seems to be the point- remember the lesson.

June 2, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

You're a tool of the politically correct, you are being used to prop up sales of a BAD CEREAL!!

June 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. AS

My issue with the advertisement is that I believe Cheerios deliberately went out of their way to create controversy for publicity. There will be a variety of responses from people that reflect a variety of beliefs,as expected, but I don't think an interracial couple was randomly chosen. I don't personally have an opinion, I think any couple in love can make their own choice for a partner, but Cheerios got the response the wanted.

June 2, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • musings

By this point in history, with a mixed race President, one who even can see one of the Jonas Brothers dating one of his daughters, and who can joke about it in public, the tipping point has already occurred. The negative responses only serve to further advertise Cheerios and to create positive market share for General Mills. It's all about publicity.

June 2, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

The purpose of advertising is to get noticed. They certainly accomplished that.

June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Diane

Love the commercial. It made my laugh out loud. It's about time Cheerios entered the real world. That kid is one cutie-patootie. To those who are upset because it is an interracial family – get over yourselves.

June 2, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • pineapple

To those who pretend to be upset after they find fake or extremist fringe criticism of an interracial family – get over yourselves.
      Most racism in this country is reverse racism: protecting incompetent and criminal activities, such as those of our President, with the blanket defense that because he is black, criticizing him is defined as racist.
      There is some residue of the racism of 60 years ago, mostly kept alive as a backlash against the dominant reverse racism. The fact that you can find examples of any stupid belief on the internet, does not mean that stupid belief is common. The racism of 60 years ago is a stupid belief. Constantly highlighting rare and trivial examples of such racism today as an excuse for the far more common and damaging reverse racism is stupider.

June 2, 2013 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
      • Wind

It is not rare as you are saying. It is just not as overt as it once was due to the more balance of political/social power of ethnicity. Among all-white or all-black groups it is always more vocal and open.

June 2, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Kevin R. Cross.

You're dead wrong, Pineapple. It may not be fashionable to be open about it anymore, but racism is alive and well and hurting people all over the US.
        And that's why fights like this are important. To root out the racist idiots, and to inform the ignorant, such as yourself, that this battle is far from won. The mere fact that you can say (and, I don't doubt, believe) that the majority of racism is against the majority simply shows how far we still have to go.

June 2, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  47. beisbolfan

White people are proud of their race and want to preserve it. White people want their daughters and sons to marry white spouses. We want grandchildren to carry on our family line. We want granchildren who perpetuate OUR genetic heritage, OUR ancestry, OUR looks. No white family wants a black grandchild, no matter what they might say when cameras are aimed at them.

Why should whites be expected to applaud our race disppearing? We are being swallowed up by the earth's nonwhite majority. Most people do not realize that WHITES are only a small minority of the world's population. Black and brown people are NOT "minorities", we whites are the real minority.

June 2, 2013 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • timverba

This is an odd statement regarding ancestral preservation. I would put to you that if you go back just a few generations, you will start to find how racially and ethnically mixed your family truly is. Even the Queen of England has acknowledged African family roots.

June 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

please do not speak for all white people. I am white. I do not care who my son marries. I do not care what color of skin my grandchildren will have. You do not speak for me. You assumption that all white people think like you is the epitome of ignorance.

June 2, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

Sorry. You certainly don't speak for me. I want my kids to be free to marry whomever they want. I want happy, well educated grandchildren, whatever their ethnic makeup.

June 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • davis

have u realized that most of the light skin black ppl you see today are from white guys sleeping with black women from the 1800's and early 1900's. it's not from black guys sleeping with white women. and you talk about preserving the white race. You race and name is already preserved! What about every black person in america has lost their real last name to their slave owners last name. do you really think black ppl had last names like Davis and Harris! Get over your self! Everyone is almost mixed in America. Even ppl who looks pure white some of them are mixed! Guess it's ok for your ppl to mixed with the indegious ppl from South America and slaves in North America but it's not ok for us to mix with them! I see interracial mingling all the time and never think one thing about it! We live in a mulitcultural society in America and not just one race. in the next thousand years it won't be one pure race in America everyone will be mixed. If you cared about prserving your race so much your ppl should've stayed in Europe instead of coming to america and bringing a whole race of ppl with you.

June 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Beisbolfan,

Guess what, your opinions are not the opinions of all White people. I am a White person and what you say is AWFUL. I couldn't care less about the color of my children or grandchildren or great grandchildren. What I care about is who they are. Are they kind, loving, caring people, or are the hard hearted misanthropists who judge people based on appearance? If you live and breathe hate, eventually hate will come back for you.

June 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  48. jsmith234512

lol @ some of these comments on here...I

June 2, 2013 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  49. gardengirl

Cute commercial and all three in the TV commercial family are good looking. Comment sections aren't the place to get the pulse of anything. There are trolls who post seemingly all day long, some under multi screen names, some en masse from racist groups that come together and support one another. The fact that the USA has a small % of extreme racists says little about the every day average person's opinion on the topic. Mixed race families are pretty much a non issue these days.

June 2, 2013 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  50. August Saunders

That was an awesome commercial. But clearly, America still remains the world capital for racist to breed and perpetuate their ignorant agenda. I contend that racism is costing this country billions each year. But the truth be told, there is no such thing as race from a scientific perspective. It's a social-political construct designed to keep particular groups oppressed. We could easily assign hair color, eye color or height as physical characteristics to determine a race. All these traits are determined by many genes which results in many extremes in each category.

June 2, 2013 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Actually there is a racial divergence in Whites to Blacks on a genetic level of over 7% in most individuals and as little as .5% in others but the facts that Race does show a difference on a genetic level shouldn't make people upset. I think racism in america has a lot more to do with diverging cultures rather than diverging genes. I personally am not 100% against intermarrying. I think that when a good white girl with (backgrounds don't mean much these days) a good upbringing and a bright future would be morally respite if she were to start dating a Black man with a track record or cheating, drug abuse and a long criminal rap sheet. I see it all the time, granted it's the "bad boy' syndrome that has always been a part of every culture to some extent or another. That being said I'd just as disgusted when it's a ugly white guy driving a hoopdie and wearing a 'wife-beater' tank top.

June 2, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Where is your data? I specialize in Federal grants and subsidies so I dare you to reply back. You provide five simpleton words on Minority handouts with nothing to back it up. One of the biggest handouts in our history was the VA loan program and it did not benefit Blacks when it was created for many, many years.

June 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jim

Perhaps it's time for General Mills to decide whether their stockholders want them to engage in social engineering or sell food products.

June 2, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • juanbobo

Well Jim, any advertiser, to some degree, is involved in social engineering. Wouldn't responsible advertising, on the whole, accurately reflect the makeup of American families rather than showing some so called "ideal" or "norm'? I think that if all ads only showed families whose members were all of the same race, it would actually be a bad thing for people. Giving people an inaccurate picture of reality can have bad consequences. In advertising I see parallels here to unrealistically thin models damaging little girls self esteem and the glorification of smoking promoting cigarette use in young kids. Could a lack of mixed race families in advertising perpetuate the ignorance surrounding this the topic of mixed race families and even create the perception in young people that it is not acceptable?

June 2, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

well said

June 2, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
      • John

Wow! You and Jim are giving commercials much more power to influence people in ways unrelated to the product than I would even have imagined.

June 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Nancybee

Companies will do anything to sell their products. My opinion? The mongrelization of the white race is not a laudable goal.

June 2, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • parthenogene

"The mongrelization of the white race" ? Wow...could you be any dumber?....

June 2, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • JimmyJames

Thankfully people who think like you are being faded out of society over time. Your days are numbered and that is a good thing. Enjoy your dwindling existence.

June 2, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Mongrels make the best people.

June 2, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Tracy

LIKE! 🙂

June 2, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • mogran

Advertising is not the place for trying to force race issues into discussion...obviously that was the intent, it had nothing to do with reality. If they say it often enough then it must be true...m o r o n s

June 2, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
      • noone

Obviously, you don't leave your whites only compound very much and look around in the real world. There are multiracial families everywhere. The advertisers are simply trying to reflect the demographics of our time. That's all.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Nancybee,

I thought your kind died out generations ago,

June 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Foggy

Put Ms Brian on the case – where is she BTW

June 2, 2013 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  54. Jan in Charlotte, NC

Long overdue – cheers for Cheerios !!!

June 2, 2013 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

I disagree!

June 2, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Brian

keep it to yourself

June 2, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  55. Cecilia

Thought the commercial was adorable! Now what REALLY bothers me are the McDonalds billboards everywhere in Spanish..We are in The US!!!!..English please!!

June 2, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • midwestmeetyourmaker

Why don't you just learn_Spanish. Most countries in the world are multi-lingual. It seems the USA might join in. Learning another language is fun, and promotes personal growth.

June 2, 2013 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
      • jb

How about learning english? I would not go to france and expect them to know english! Grow up.

June 2, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
      • everything in Moderation

But most very likely do know English in France and/or German and/or Italian, likely Spanish…

June 2, 2013 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
      • midwestmeetyourmaker

@j b France is a particularly interesting selection for this argument as the French are often very critical of even native French speakers. But, there are still a variety of languages spoken in France. Many of my friends from France are able to speak three and four languages. If you are worried you are missing something important on the Spanish McDonalds billboard, I am sure someone would be happy to translate it for you. I would hate for you to miss out on the meaning of the all important McDonalds advertising. LOL. Have a good day.

June 2, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Brian

yeah, jb... France is one of the biggest English speaking countries. Many regions (mostly central north and western) speak English better than most people from Atlanta. North eastern French speak a brand of french that makes them more inclined to speak Belgian and or German while the southern half of the country are more inclined to speak Italian and Spanish as a second language. Multilingual people are more inclined to have good grades and generally score better on tests than people with one tongue. It's just facts man, face em.

June 2, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
      • noone

There is something to be said for everyone in a country being able to communicate in the same language.

June 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wind

You ought to save up your McDonald spending to purchase a ticket to travel beyond north America for a change. That would be much more healthy for both your physical and mental statuses.

June 2, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  56. Amir

Why is it always white woman / black man? Why do the advertisers never put black woman with white man? They are the REAL racists and they don't even recognize it.

June 2, 2013 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • everything in Moderation

Sexist. There's more than one bias in the world.

June 2, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  57. CBSC

Awe, she is so cute. This is reality and everyone needs to get over it!!

June 2, 2013 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  58. Abigail

It never ceases to amaze me how America, with all their spouting off on how wonderful a country they are, are so riddled with intolerance and hate towards each other. It's like an insidious virus that has spread through the USA. What does it matter if the family is mixed? The racist comments and attitude says nothing about the people whom they are made against, and absolutely everything about the person making them. It's 2013 people, time to evolve.

June 2, 2013 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  59. Not shocked

I come from a mixed race family, Caucasian mother and African-American father. Twenty-six years old, no records, outstanding full time college student, love my job and my credit isn't ruined. I, personally, am thrilled to see this commercial. Any time I see mixed race couples in commercials I get excited. Is America in denial or something? To the people complaining, do you walk outside with horse blinders on? I mean really, this is not a new concept for mixed races to have caring families. Since the beginning of family advertisement, have mixed families complained about all the millions of same race ads? When has a same race ad been pulled because of their race? Name one. Why does it matter that Cheerios wants to display a normal loving family? All they want to do, like every other business in this world, is draw in a bigger crowd. I hate to break it to you blinder wearing people but that would be multiracial families. This ad would work just the same if they used an Asian or Hispanic child and mother. I believe they used the method they did because that has become the norm and it's not going away.

June 2, 2013 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

Amen!!!

June 2, 2013 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
    • czolgosz

If you're 26 and still in college there's something horribly wrong.

June 2, 2013 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Not shocked

Actually no. I took time off after graduation high school so I could experience the working world so I would have a drive to go through college without dropping out like most. I even took time out to do an internship at Walt Disney World. I'm a full time student, GPA well above 3.0 and I'm graduating with honors. Nothing wrong with getting the partying life done and out of the way so I could concentrate on my future seriously.

June 2, 2013 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Derek

What in ignorant comment to make. I'm proud of the fact that 40 years old, I completed my MBA. Get a clue.

June 2, 2013 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Chester

We should say, "you're 26 and _already_ in college - Good work!" A lot of people take a lot longer to realize the value of education.

June 2, 2013 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
      • michaelarthurdavis

I was 33 when I went back to school. Now I am a physician in a general surgery residency. Who cares how old someone is when they decide to get schooling or to get more schooling? You are going to be that much older, no matter what you choose to do with your time. I applaud people who make rational and ambitious goals to improve their education and their ability to contribute to society. We need more people like that, and fewer people who protest or denigrate such enterprise. Bravo, 26 year old college student!!

June 2, 2013 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

Nothing "horribly wrong" with waiting to attend college until you've experienced other aspects of adult life and developed a clearer understanding of what you want to do. FAR better than blowing your college fund or your parents' savings or racking up your own debts on a nonsense degree and then working any low skill job you can find. Not everyone leaves high school knowing what career to pursue and jumping into college can be a horrible waste of youth and money if you're just doing it because it's the expected "next step" in your education. Not all valuable education, after all, is formal. And not everyone needs a college degree to have a happy, successful life. Better to be a 26 year old in college with your head screwed on straight than a 22 year old unemployed ditz with an expensive diploma.

June 2, 2013 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

There's something horribly wrong with your reasoning...

June 2, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
      • 086wpd

i went to scholl , of some kind all of my 45+ years of work – from college, to a 2+ yr natioanl certification in my field at age 50+ , to several short courses thru the year. it's called enriching your life , to be the best you can be . scoffing at someone who is 26 and in school shows a lack of respect for themselves and self motivation to continue learning. ... just sayin.

June 2, 2013 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
      • 086wpd

and ... i CAN spell , i just can't type well .. yet ... but i am learning .. still .. B|

June 2, 2013 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  60. steve

ugly child, no more straight hair, blue eyes, blond or brown hair. she looks like a Brazilian!!!!!

June 2, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

OMGee. This kind of comments aloud & allowed here?

June 2, 2013 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

Now...that's simply a bold faced major lie on your part!. She's a very pretty little girl!...and I'm against mixed marriages but I'm not a liar!

June 2, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Pris

So you'd be against, say a Norwegian and a French couple? There is NO SUCH thing as a 'pure' race person anymore. Get a grip. Oh, and you're right about the girl being a cutie-patootie!

June 2, 2013 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |

Did you say Brazilians are ugly? You invalidated your entire goofball post. Lol

June 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Are you crazy? Brazilians are some of the best looking people on the planet!

June 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Denise

When I saw the ad on TV I called my husband to see it because I thought it was 'touching' with the little girl putting the cheerios on her Dad's heart and for no other reason other that that! I didn't even give it another thought because I don't judge people in life by color so why would I judge a commercial in that way! What is wrong with people and why in this day and age should this even be a discussion? I am 62 years old and have see it all and I thought by now, you would all finally become 'color blind'! If not, you sure need to! Hats off to you Cheerios! You are what America should be! Sorry that many can't accept that! 😦

June 2, 2013 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Katy J

Well said. If I met you I am sure I would like you. The world needs more people just like you.

June 2, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Casey

BRAVO! well said 🙂

June 2, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  62. chamborde

I'm hungry for some cheese.

June 2, 2013 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  63. Jeff

Cheerio should really hire someone with a background in sociology/psychology.

It isn't the biracial child that is the issue. What is setting people off is that they instantly recognize yet another multi $$ company pulling another politically correct marketing scheme to "sell cereal." It is a disgusting tactic which drew disgusting attitudes reflected in racial commentaries.

June 2, 2013 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  64. Mr. Magoo

The mom looks pretty yummy.

June 2, 2013 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

I don't think your Trailer Park is located near the beach anyway.

June 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Wilma Webster

Inbreeding leads to more genetic defects. It's healthier to mix the gene pools around a bit. I love cheerios!

June 2, 2013 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  66. Older Fartitis

Ho Ho- don't worry too much folks. Soon enough bigger problems will take center stage, e.g., Alzheimers, Demetia,
    liver failure, heart problems,etc.,The whole wonderful grab bag. Live and let live.

June 2, 2013 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  67. Wilma Webster

Cute commercial. We need more of these. My computer didn't let me replay it as many times as I wanted.

June 2, 2013 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  68. Marcus

I wish they could see my family photo they would totally flip, every color of the rainbow lol. But seriously this was an ad which rather racist folks like it or not is part of a rapidly growing demographic of the world not just the U.S. ....... SO GET OVER IT!!!!!

June 2, 2013 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  69. anita

And i'm so glad my family has stayed non-white so far, hopefully will continue to do so.

June 2, 2013 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

You can't guarantee that any more than most whites can guarantee there is no 'non-white' lineage in their line. My spouse looks white and found out via genealogy that he is part African. I am part Asian and one of our kids is darker like me (mistaken for Hispanic or multiracial black & white) and two are white white. Yet the two who look white white are just as African and Asian as my other son who is dark.

June 2, 2013 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

At least 99.9% of your DNA is exactly the same as the DNA of every single person in the world, excluding those with conditions such as Down Syndrome.

Now, as your name is Anita, I might suspect you have Hispanic heritage. Therefor, you have ancestors from Spain. Therefor you are exceedingly likely to have white ancestors. Therefor, your family already has white in it.

Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

June 2, 2013 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

I know a Dutch woman named Anita. Should we assume she has some Hispanic heritage she doesn't even know about?

June 2, 2013 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Kevin R. Cross.

She could well do. After all, Spain ruled Holland for centuries.

June 2, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  70. Alex

It used to be that the greatest argument against democracy was a five minute conversation with the average voter. Now the greatest argument against democracy is internet comment sections.

June 2, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  71. Debbie

And we wonder why alien worlds refuse to contact us.

June 2, 2013 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Older Fartitis

Basically, they are more racist than we are. I heard one say humans smell funny. My daughter married one, though,
      and they eat Cheerios.

June 2, 2013 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  72. matt houston

Dear Racists...get over it.

June 2, 2013 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  73. john paul

Don't people understand, we all come from one race.
    It's called the HUMAN RACE

June 2, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  74. Bored

June 2, 2013 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  75. Heh

I actually prefer dating outside my race. I enjoy cultural differences way too much. I've never had anyone say anything rude to me about it, either. When people are happy, let them be happy. There are plenty of people who date within their own races who are miserable.

June 2, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • G

Well, the problem with this sort of thinking is that you consider different races to be from different cultures, which is not always true. Just because someone's ancestors hailed from a different continent than your ancestors doesn't mean that today you are both from different cultures. The quickest way to alienate someone is to treat them as a representative of a large, diverse group, as opposed to an individual.

Declaring an desire to date ONLY people of other races is as much of a deterrent as declaring a desire to date ONLY people of the same race. I should also note that dating people from different cultures means dating people who may be of the same race AND excluding people who may be of a different race.

Culture has a much stronger geographic factor than a genetic factor. I hope you take this into consideration.

June 2, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Amen G. We are all INDIVIDUALS. As soon as we realize that, the sooner we can move on. Even well intentioned efforts to eliminate racism, like pushing multiculturalism, end up furthering racism because they place people into groups. They strip people of individuality. No two people in the world are alike. Your skin color can't define you anymore than your hair color can.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Heather Yamamoto

When on Earth did they mention ONLY dating those outside their race? She said she 'preferred'! Are saying that she is required to be open to dating all races and all cultures because you can't handle that she has a preference? Get off your high horse.

June 2, 2013 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  76. shm

Absolutely disgusting! People should stick to their own race. I hate how the media promotes the "new family."

June 2, 2013 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathy Garcia

It is depressing to see this comment and know that division, bigotry, and ignorance are still so prevalent in the U.S.A. But it is a blessing in diguise that the ignorant are revealed through the strange comments we see on news stories and opinion pieces. As long as the progressive majority is aware that this perverse bigotry is still alive in America we are even more aware of the need to work against this hate and stand for human dignity. We know the sickness of racism is not cured and we also know your days are numbered.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • AJO

I am not a racist, but I am racially aware! I do not (personally) agree with mixing races, & I have never been in a relationship with someone that isn't white. (preference) I care about my race, & I am PROUD just like everyone is proud of the black race. The white race is dwindling down (research and see) by 2040 WHITES will be a minority! Yeah you may not care but black on white crime is on the rise, think about it...for all you people saying "we are all one race" open your eyes & see that blacks are more racist than whites & the same for some other non white races...its a crazy world we live in!

June 2, 2013 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
      • AD

I'm sorry that your perception of the general response of minorities who finally recognize that they are in a inferior position in a society that is set up for them to remain in that social class, and express their anger is seen as racism. what were they thinking.

June 2, 2013 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
      • rh

"Pure whites" are already a minority. Before they updated the census, even multi-racial people who knew clearly that they had non-white ancestors were forced to put white or Asian or African as a race. Now we can list what we truly are, and many many whites are not purely European. My father's roots are from the Caucasus region, and many people like him from that region have substantial Asian ancestry.

June 2, 2013 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Robert

So, what you are saying is that is important to be racist because you are afraid that if you become a minority, then the majority will treat you poorly and discriminate against you?

Huh. So then, if there were more interracial families, blurring the lines of race, then perhaps the whole "us versus them" concept would just be eliminated.

White people aren't the problem. Black people aren't the problem. Racist pieces of garbage like you, whatever the color, are the problem.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that perhaps your problem is fear instead of hate. However, both fear and hate are paths to the dark side.

June 2, 2013 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Concerned citizen

Yeah, but mostly because of the rise of homosexuality

June 2, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
      • jb

We need to preserve the white race before its to late.

June 2, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

You are a racist...

June 2, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Hmm. Actually mixed race/culture families are not "new" at all. They've been around since humans started traveling outside their normal hunting/gathering range. Get your DNA examined and you might be a little amazed to see exactly how you came to be.

June 2, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
      • Wind

SHM is capable of defining race by physical appearance, not DNA....:)

June 2, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Are you seriously that ignorant? I guarantee you are mixed with many types of people also and no Europeans do not see themselves as White instead identify as Belgium, British, French, etc. I sometimes wish we could feature these idiots & stuff cameras in their face at work and embarrass them. I don't mind disagreements, but bold faced, ignorant lies made by Schzos and 30 year old men loving in mama's basement really does get old. Grow a pair and join the civilized world.

June 2, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Loving=living or actually that might be how they stay "pure", lol.

June 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Interracial Relationships is NOT an Anomaly

Interracial Relationships is NOT an Anomaly... It is the future of Homo Sapiens. I am a doctor and a geneticist. I was born in Kerala, an ancient kingdom on the southern tip, west coast of India. My family is an ancient one, and I can trace it back 30 generations.. my ancestral family home was built approximately in 1150 AD and it is still standing. I am a 'Pureblood'. All of that said, I do NOT believe in race distinctions, whatsoever. My wife is 'Caucasian'...her father has English roots and her mother is Italian.. therefore, she is already a 'mongrel'. Love does not make these distinctions... I see her as a beautiful woman... who is a nurse, and also a champion level competition swing dancer. My future children will be gorgeous And Intelligent. That is a Fact.
    All of you who think that interracial relationships are 'wrong'...are wrong! Most of these progeny blend the best of both races, and the daughters often end up starring in beauty pageants and often win. The men are equally good looking. All of that is on the surface.
    What you fail to recognize is that Homo Sapiens is the species. Race is non-existent. There are many 'breeds' of dogs...yet they are all one species...do you see them fight with each other, with the Dobermans versus the Chihuahuas, the German Shepherds versus the English Bulldogs? NO. They sniff at each other, make friends, and play. That is ALL.
    On the other hand, there are many Species of dolphins, not races or subtypes, but species... yet they do NOT make war on each other... ever. When was the last time that you saw the bottlenose dolphins making war on Atlantic spotted dolphin... or the dolphins of the seas making war on the dolphins of the rivers? It is NOT done. Apparently, they have more intelligence in this aspect than Homo Sapiens. Dogs do not make war on each other based on color or subtype.... oh but not Homo Sapiens.
    Either we learn the Truth from our world, that we are ALL one species... or we drop the "Sapiens" from our species name... because we are apparently NOT that intelligent.

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • abc's

India; Open defecation capitol of the world. So much for listening to Swami's

June 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  78. the local explorer

It's a sweet ad.

June 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • porchmonkey

CNN are race baiters

June 2, 2013 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

Yes , they bait ignorant racist trolls such as yourself...

June 2, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

I would not worry CNN if I was you. It seems your negative and simplistic comment says more about your intelligence level and likely SES (Socio Economic Status).

June 2, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  79. Jorge

The only thing I see is an overweight, black man, who statistically is more likely to have heart problems than a similar sized/aged white man, being loved by his daughter who happens to be of mixed race. If the whole family had been black then the outrage would be for portraying all blacks as unhealthy heart-problem-prone (even if on average it may be true for a higher percentage when compared to other races.) I think it is a smart ad, made in a way that conveys a lot of information relevant to the product. Well done Cheerios. Oh, by the way, the article failed to provide a context about the nature of the "outrage" or "controversy" the ad caused, in essence we are forced to either follow their links and figure it out, or assume we are not being misled by the writer. Poor reporting, again, CNN.

June 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

Seems that CNN is trying to use a few random comments from the usual Hater-Trolls to gin up a story about race.   So here is a report from reality.  This morning in Oakland, California, my daughter's soccer team played their last game of the season.  Of about 11 players on our team, no fewer than five were multi-racial.   When they lined up for the pre-game check in, every skin tone was presented–from coffee to cream and anything in between.   It was a beautiful sight.  The girls played their hearts out and the parents all cheered and high-fived.   Afterwords, there was a celebration and talk of summer plans.    Just another Saturday in America–2013.

June 1, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jack Be Humble

Not every community is as diverse as Oakland. If you 50 miles east as the crow flies, you end up in Stockton. I don't think the teams there would show the same amount of diversity, nor would the parents be as welcoming of the concept.

June 2, 2013 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  80. disgustedvet

Who cares .

June 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jennifer jones

all of us care, including you, i pray that you have a soul......

June 2, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  81. jennifer jones

Racism is a form of mental illness!!!

June 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  82. elvinmerij

Canada has had this for years. England too.

I feel sorry for America.

June 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • blahblahblah

It isn't about racial equality. It's about stirring the pot, bringing up controversy, and constant conflict. That aside, coming from an interracial marriage, I highly discourage others from mixing races. At the core of it, it's a selfish desire. For the sake of finding love from another race, when you have kids you subject them to a life time of rejection and lack of self-identification.

June 1, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • daj

What? Are you aware that our President is biracial.... These negative reactions always happen with change. Change will happen, but there will always be people trying to stop it. You should be proud to be a part of the change. Be bold. Be proud. Don't apologize for who you are.

June 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  83. theoldchief

This causes a stir because people are ignorant, and ignorance is bliss. People are so willing to be led around by the liberal media, or the church, or the politicians, that they won't think for themselves anymore. We need to face today's reality, and it is not the same reality of 200 years ago. We are an intelligent, thinking, reasoning evolving race - we should act like it.

June 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Wotan

This commercial is accurate in that half-caste Black offspring look absolutely nothing like their White parent, enough to dissuade any White woman from breeding with Blacks.

June 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • DARON

People are so ignorant. Their was abousulty nothing wrong with this commercial.

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribed

Wotan, I caught your granpa having a lemon party with the other grandpas. I think you should join them 🙂

June 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

your a horrible person, and will die alone & forgotten.

June 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Pete

We all I die alone! Let it go

June 2, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • sean

lol.....good thing "you and your way of thinking is dying off'......we are allllll......mixed black, white, red, yellow, brown,...the lie is that you and I are a "color"....shear falsehood....spirit is only true sense of who we are.....but I understand your thought process and hope you one day walk into "truth" or just fade off.

June 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • the local explorer

I hope you change your mind one day, but the world will become a fairer place despite you.
      Honestly, you will be a happier person if you accept other people for who they are.

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • parthenogene

hopefully, no one is "breeding " with you...

June 2, 2013 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Good thing is you will be single your entire life or your wife will get rid of you once the kids are grown. Poor little unimportant men always lash out when their own lives are falling apart.

June 2, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  85. ranlo

Too Cute!

June 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  86. rockesh

Unbelievable. This commercial would cause a stir for those who don't live in and deal with reality and are decades behind the times. Speaking of times, pull up the April 9, 1990 and November 18, 1993 issues of Time magazine for articles on the changing demographics in the U.S. Hold on to your seats, but within the past few weeks it was reported that for the first time in an election (2012), the number of black voters showing up at the polls surpassed the number of white voters who showed. The times, they've been a changin'. Get real!

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mercury

Where would the American Right be without the miracle of inbreeding?

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  88. A Sad Reality Indeed

REALLY? It's sad that this type of message is met with racism. On another note, I met a biracial girl who looked more like her white side than her black side, and she had sores on her lip, was racist against black people (who were much better than her) and acted like a bonobosluuutin heat with AIDS. Her name was Brooks and she was a Williams' grad.

June 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Kevin

There will always be racist idiots unfortunately....they are just easier to find because of the internet.

June 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wind

It's only true to a certain extent. Without internet it is there as well.

June 2, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Yeah, but the Internet has given a voice to Schizos and many who lack emotional maturity that say anything without fear of being called out except when CNN or another agency show up at their door.

June 2, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  90. Mixed Here

The fact that this commercial was made and has caused the uproar that it has is just sad. Being multiracial myself (black father, German/Arabian mother) I have had to defend my mixed heritage in both educational and social settings my entire life. I think attempting to place one label over another (or utilize that awful "one drop rule" from SLAVERY) is very disrespectful and downright ancient. It bothers me tremendously every time I have to defend my thinking as it pertains to my many races. The world just needs to get over the issue of color because it holds no real relevance in society. We all look different..... GET OVER IT.

June 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • smccuen

Right.

June 2, 2013 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

I don't know where you live, but I have not had to defend my background since I honestly I was able to defend myself. Maybe it is that I am an Army Veteran, but it could be when you walk in my office you see two graduate degrees. I carry myself in a manner that lets one understand I am Man first and shenanigans around my background would not be acceptable or wise to communicate. However, the women I have met are curious, but I am not married, a single dad and stable so different reasons. I am a Man first, American 2nd, Veteran 3rd and everything after that is just extra awesomeness, lol.

June 2, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Ps, I love being biracial or more importantly that my mother gave me the tools to navigate through two different groups of people that have some members within their ranks that hold onto outdated archaic belief systems about race and miss out on all the good things life has to offer. The hardest part of being Biracial is socially constructed groups want to claim your success for their own (Obama) or throw nasty little marginalizing stereotypes on you even if they don't fit (Tiger). The days of us having to claim a race is dying. My son has blond hair with huge curls, blue eyes, but will he have to choose a side, likely not as long as he is educated, motivated and as AC/DC says have a "Stiff Upper Lip".

June 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Mary Ann

This is such a heart warming commercial. I love it!

June 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sean

I agree......just wondering what took us sooooooo...long...to get here...lol..."WAKE UP AMERICA"......Great commercial..!!

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  92. DLW

Good for Cheerios! Its a great ad on both fronts... heart healthy and diversity... cute, adorable and funny!

June 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Daniel

Why does it always have to be a white girl and black man? Why is it never a black girl and white man? I mean wtf.

June 1, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  94. The Bobster

I'm not surprised that a jew agency created a disgusting commercial promoting the bedroom genocide of the White race. I'm never buying Cheerios again.

June 1, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • loverpoint

Whether it is a TV commercial or TV show they always use a Black Male with a Caucasian Wife, not visa versa, and they are always portrayed as great responsible Lovers and Fathers, which is really a distortion of facts and brainwashing. Black males have a higher likelihood of becoming dead beat dads.

It is also interesting that off spring of biracial parents never associate themselves with the Caucasian Parent.

In todays society it is now taboo to portray a black person as the bumbling idiot in a sitcom.

June 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

Vile Racists and Xenophobes like the Bobster are what is wrong with this Country. Luckily, that kind with fade away... Hopefully soon.

June 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • sqeptiq

Troglodyte is way too nice a word for the bobster. To call him a scrofulous cretin would be unfair to scrofulous cretins.

June 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • johnbgood

It must be fun to be in advertising these days.

June 1, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Boycott General Mills products.

June 1, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • sqeptiq

I'm going to start buying extra cheerios and passing them out to people.

June 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sia

Never buying cheerios again? More for us then....

June 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

You should definitely keep the white race white, no one else would want to be a part of it, they feel their own cultures, particularly eastern & asian cultures, are far far better.

June 2, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Siestasis

Fine, could you promise not to breed also, we do not need any more of your limited intelligence in the gene pool.

June 2, 2013 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

So, you don't like Jews or Blacks or Cheerios? Why not find another country to live in? You might be happier there.

June 2, 2013 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

I'm sure Cheerios is quaking in the boots at the loss of your business.

June 2, 2013 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • gman9mm

bobster, It is clear that you love your own race and that is good thing. While most of the posters here are quick to condemn your comments, I totally agree with them. The extermination of the white race has long been a goal of the jews and they will stop at nothing to achieve it. Race mixing is but one of many methods to bring the white race to a point of extinction. Sadly, many whites would be fine with that. They have no idea of their own glorious history but have bought in to the brainwashing of the jewish propaganda education_system. To love one's own race is not to be a white supremacist as that evil label is used. I join you in a lifelong boycott of Cheerios!

June 2, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Define what a Jew is because I am curious if you even know the diversity within that group of human beings. Secondly, you need to travel because as an American you sure the helll are not "purebred" and probably have some Native American or African genes in you.

June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Clyde

Good for both of you! Eat corn flakes, but please stop breeding. This way your hate will just pass away with you.

June 3, 2013 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Then what will you buy out of your food stamps?

June 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  95. rudy phoot

I live in North Carolina. There are so many white people in this state that do the very things people attribute primarly to black people. So why the need for all the bigotry?

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • smccuen

I live in the Carolinas, too. There are a good many multi-racial people living here in intact families and in single-parent homes (no different from mono-racial folks). But it is likely that somewhere in this comment section someone will make the blatantly false statement that a family scene like that depicted in the commercial is rare or limited to the West Coast, etc etc. Folks need to wake up, pay attention, get over it and be happy people love each other.

June 2, 2013 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • parthenogene

It's not as if bigots are reasonable...

June 2, 2013 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Wind

I am in Texas and you don't see mixed race quite often....especially in smaller towns besides Houston and Dallas.

June 2, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Texas has a large amount of multiracial people and in regards to small towns most people live in cities. Towns which are not known as economic or cultural centers for diversity. Ps, someone can be multiracial and most people would never know it unless travelled and cultured.

June 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  96. CNNHypocrites

Funny how CNN puts in its story:

"The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. "....yet in EVERY instance they only point out that Obama is black.

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Exactly. Obama is no more black than he is white. He was also raised by his grandmother who was a wealthy white woman. Everybody seems to forget that.

June 1, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • stop

I think it's funny that when Blacks were slaves if you had one drop of black blood you are Black and a slave. but now it different. l i know you don't want to hear this but you are what your Father is. so if you are a German man and you have babies with a black woman that baby is still German. just a Black German. this is why white don't like race mixing. white can be eliminated just by co cohabiting around people of color. you whites are the ones who stated the whole color nonsense any way.. Obama may not be African American but he is certainly a Black man.

June 1, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kevin

Obama, being half white, has broken down barriers for the white "race". Now, even if we marry people of different races, and have children, we can dream that those children can grow up to achieve great things, even the Presidency.

June 2, 2013 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

His grandmother was not wealthy, but that's beside the point. Obama is a Politician who was raised by White family members and did not have a lot of "black friends" growing up. Obama besides his mother ancestors does not share in the black experience from ancestral standpoint. Obama is the first Biracial president, but he is a politician and they all are "used car salesman" telling people what they want to hear especially target group whether select poor Whites (Republicans) or poor Blacks (Democrats). Poor usually is the least educated and culturally isolated parts of our society that are the easiest to manipulate for political gain. I am Biracial and to claim to be Black would be to simplistic, but most importantly a denial of the important people that impacted me which is my Mom and late Grandma Joan. Politicians will sell out for a happy meal if it means a quick vote no matter their background.

June 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • loverpoint

Why do they always portray biracial marriages as Black Male and White Female ?

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • blahblahblah

It's funny how that is. Even if it's not a love relationship depicted, it's odd to me that commercials and even infomercials pair up a black man and a white woman. Maybe we should all just breed with black people and in a few generations, we'll all be the same color.

June 1, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

Look around u, it seems to be the reality u see everywhere versus the other way around

June 2, 2013 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
      • Kevin

They don't always portray black men with white women.

Spock may not be white, but the actor who plays him is. He is involved with Uhura, a black woman. In classic trek, one of the first interracial kisses was between Kirk and Uhura. The interracial couple on The Jeffersons was a white man with a black wife. Ted Danson and Whoopi Goldberg were an item for a while. Go see Jekyll & Hyde on Broadway this month to see Constantine Maroulis and Deborah Cox.

June 2, 2013 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
    • JustinFromNJ

Come on, everyone knows that in order to be white you need to be 100% white. If you've got 1 drop of black blood in you you're black.

June 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

NEWS FLASH: Obama HIMSELF identifies as a Black Man. All the Racists seem to agree with this, regardless of WHO was white in his ancestry.

June 1, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Mom of Bi Racial Family

It really is much ado about nothing. We exist. We love our children. We earn an honest living. We pay our taxes. We are nothing more than an American family. Color didn't stop us from falling in love. Color didn't stop us from raising children. I am amazed that this is even an issue.....move on people....there are more important things in this world....

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • smccuen

well said

June 2, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  98. HC

Good on ya Cheerios; hello all you haters out there ... mixed families have been around since the dawn of time. It's about time there was something out there depicting this reality and I hope to see more.

June 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • katief

Actually, to The Bobtard, er, I mean, The Bobster, "professor Allison Blakely of Boston University describes the presence of blacks in Early Modern Europe. His article reminds us that persons of African ancestry resided across Europe. Their numbers ranged from a few hundred scattered across Germany, Scandinavia and Russia in the period between the 16th and 18th Centuries to approximately 150,000 on the Iberian peninsula." in an article called "The Black Presence in Pre-20th Century Europe: A Hidden History". Just ONE example.

June 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  99. V. Prichett

No problem with the Cheerios commercial., just like I have no problem with the interracial State Farm commercial. Anyone see that one? We see interracial couples/families everyday in real life. I don't see what the problem is. People should stop being prejudice and let people live their life.

June 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLevel

is this Vickey?

June 2, 2013 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  100. Tom

I think there are a lot of dinosaurs and people in denial out there in regard to the reality of today's world.

June 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |