May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,494 Responses)
  1. Melanie

AWESOME COMMERCIAL GREW UP WITH COMMERCIALS OF ONLY WHITE PEOPLE, OF WHICH I AM ONE WANT TO SEE MORE REPRESENTATION OF THE REAL WORLD THOSE WHO OBJECT...ALL GOOD. THEY ARE SWIMMING AGAINST THE TIDE AND EVENTUALLY WON'T BE ABLE TO RESIST IT ANYMORE. THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A WHITE RACE. WE CREATED THAT BINARY TO JUSTIFY SLAVERY. AS A NATION WE ARE NOW JOINING THE HUMAN RACE... MOST COMMERCIALS ARE PLAIN STUPID. GLAD TO SEE ONE THAT GETS US TALKING.

June 2, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

Be nice if you supported the use of unlocking your caps lock.

June 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kterry

Went out and bought my first box in decades in support and will remember the lesson! That seems to be the point- remember the lesson.

June 2, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

You're a tool of the politically correct, you are being used to prop up sales of a BAD CEREAL!!

June 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AS

My issue with the advertisement is that I believe Cheerios deliberately went out of their way to create controversy for publicity. There will be a variety of responses from people that reflect a variety of beliefs,as expected, but I don't think an interracial couple was randomly chosen. I don't personally have an opinion, I think any couple in love can make their own choice for a partner, but Cheerios got the response the wanted.

June 2, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • musings

By this point in history, with a mixed race President, one who even can see one of the Jonas Brothers dating one of his daughters, and who can joke about it in public, the tipping point has already occurred. The negative responses only serve to further advertise Cheerios and to create positive market share for General Mills. It's all about publicity.

June 2, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

The purpose of advertising is to get noticed. They certainly accomplished that.

June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Diane

Love the commercial. It made my laugh out loud. It's about time Cheerios entered the real world. That kid is one cutie-patootie. To those who are upset because it is an interracial family – get over yourselves.

June 2, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • pineapple

To those who pretend to be upset after they find fake or extremist fringe criticism of an interracial family – get over yourselves.
      Most racism in this country is reverse racism: protecting incompetent and criminal activities, such as those of our President, with the blanket defense that because he is black, criticizing him is defined as racist.
      There is some residue of the racism of 60 years ago, mostly kept alive as a backlash against the dominant reverse racism. The fact that you can find examples of any stupid belief on the internet, does not mean that stupid belief is common. The racism of 60 years ago is a stupid belief. Constantly highlighting rare and trivial examples of such racism today as an excuse for the far more common and damaging reverse racism is stupider.

June 2, 2013 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
      • Wind

It is not rare as you are saying. It is just not as overt as it once was due to the more balance of political/social power of ethnicity. Among all-white or all-black groups it is always more vocal and open.

June 2, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Kevin R. Cross.

You're dead wrong, Pineapple. It may not be fashionable to be open about it anymore, but racism is alive and well and hurting people all over the US.
        And that's why fights like this are important. To root out the racist idiots, and to inform the ignorant, such as yourself, that this battle is far from won. The mere fact that you can say (and, I don't doubt, believe) that the majority of racism is against the majority simply shows how far we still have to go.

June 2, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. beisbolfan

White people are proud of their race and want to preserve it. White people want their daughters and sons to marry white spouses. We want grandchildren to carry on our family line. We want granchildren who perpetuate OUR genetic heritage, OUR ancestry, OUR looks. No white family wants a black grandchild, no matter what they might say when cameras are aimed at them.

Why should whites be expected to applaud our race disppearing? We are being swallowed up by the earth's nonwhite majority. Most people do not realize that WHITES are only a small minority of the world's population. Black and brown people are NOT "minorities", we whites are the real minority.

June 2, 2013 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • timverba

This is an odd statement regarding ancestral preservation. I would put to you that if you go back just a few generations, you will start to find how racially and ethnically mixed your family truly is. Even the Queen of England has acknowledged African family roots.

June 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

please do not speak for all white people. I am white. I do not care who my son marries. I do not care what color of skin my grandchildren will have. You do not speak for me. You assumption that all white people think like you is the epitome of ignorance.

June 2, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

Sorry. You certainly don't speak for me. I want my kids to be free to marry whomever they want. I want happy, well educated grandchildren, whatever their ethnic makeup.

June 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • davis

have u realized that most of the light skin black ppl you see today are from white guys sleeping with black women from the 1800's and early 1900's. it's not from black guys sleeping with white women. and you talk about preserving the white race. You race and name is already preserved! What about every black person in america has lost their real last name to their slave owners last name. do you really think black ppl had last names like Davis and Harris! Get over your self! Everyone is almost mixed in America. Even ppl who looks pure white some of them are mixed! Guess it's ok for your ppl to mixed with the indegious ppl from South America and slaves in North America but it's not ok for us to mix with them! I see interracial mingling all the time and never think one thing about it! We live in a mulitcultural society in America and not just one race. in the next thousand years it won't be one pure race in America everyone will be mixed. If you cared about prserving your race so much your ppl should've stayed in Europe instead of coming to america and bringing a whole race of ppl with you.

June 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Beisbolfan,

Guess what, your opinions are not the opinions of all White people. I am a White person and what you say is AWFUL. I couldn't care less about the color of my children or grandchildren or great grandchildren. What I care about is who they are. Are they kind, loving, caring people, or are the hard hearted misanthropists who judge people based on appearance? If you live and breathe hate, eventually hate will come back for you.

June 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jsmith234512

lol @ some of these comments on here...I

June 2, 2013 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. gardengirl

Cute commercial and all three in the TV commercial family are good looking. Comment sections aren't the place to get the pulse of anything. There are trolls who post seemingly all day long, some under multi screen names, some en masse from racist groups that come together and support one another. The fact that the USA has a small % of extreme racists says little about the every day average person's opinion on the topic. Mixed race families are pretty much a non issue these days.

June 2, 2013 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. August Saunders

That was an awesome commercial. But clearly, America still remains the world capital for racist to breed and perpetuate their ignorant agenda. I contend that racism is costing this country billions each year. But the truth be told, there is no such thing as race from a scientific perspective. It's a social-political construct designed to keep particular groups oppressed. We could easily assign hair color, eye color or height as physical characteristics to determine a race. All these traits are determined by many genes which results in many extremes in each category.

June 2, 2013 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Actually there is a racial divergence in Whites to Blacks on a genetic level of over 7% in most individuals and as little as .5% in others but the facts that Race does show a difference on a genetic level shouldn't make people upset. I think racism in america has a lot more to do with diverging cultures rather than diverging genes. I personally am not 100% against intermarrying. I think that when a good white girl with (backgrounds don't mean much these days) a good upbringing and a bright future would be morally respite if she were to start dating a Black man with a track record or cheating, drug abuse and a long criminal rap sheet. I see it all the time, granted it's the "bad boy' syndrome that has always been a part of every culture to some extent or another. That being said I'd just as disgusted when it's a ugly white guy driving a hoopdie and wearing a 'wife-beater' tank top.

June 2, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Where is your data? I specialize in Federal grants and subsidies so I dare you to reply back. You provide five simpleton words on Minority handouts with nothing to back it up. One of the biggest handouts in our history was the VA loan program and it did not benefit Blacks when it was created for many, many years.

June 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jim

Perhaps it's time for General Mills to decide whether their stockholders want them to engage in social engineering or sell food products.

June 2, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • juanbobo

Well Jim, any advertiser, to some degree, is involved in social engineering. Wouldn't responsible advertising, on the whole, accurately reflect the makeup of American families rather than showing some so called "ideal" or "norm'? I think that if all ads only showed families whose members were all of the same race, it would actually be a bad thing for people. Giving people an inaccurate picture of reality can have bad consequences. In advertising I see parallels here to unrealistically thin models damaging little girls self esteem and the glorification of smoking promoting cigarette use in young kids. Could a lack of mixed race families in advertising perpetuate the ignorance surrounding this the topic of mixed race families and even create the perception in young people that it is not acceptable?

June 2, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

well said

June 2, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
      • John

Wow! You and Jim are giving commercials much more power to influence people in ways unrelated to the product than I would even have imagined.

June 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nancybee

Companies will do anything to sell their products. My opinion? The mongrelization of the white race is not a laudable goal.

June 2, 2013 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • parthenogene

"The mongrelization of the white race" ? Wow...could you be any dumber?....

June 2, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • JimmyJames

Thankfully people who think like you are being faded out of society over time. Your days are numbered and that is a good thing. Enjoy your dwindling existence.

June 2, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Mongrels make the best people.

June 2, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Tracy

LIKE! 🙂

June 2, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • mogran

Advertising is not the place for trying to force race issues into discussion...obviously that was the intent, it had nothing to do with reality. If they say it often enough then it must be true...m o r o n s

June 2, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
      • noone

Obviously, you don't leave your whites only compound very much and look around in the real world. There are multiracial families everywhere. The advertisers are simply trying to reflect the demographics of our time. That's all.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Nancybee,

I thought your kind died out generations ago,

June 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Foggy

Put Ms Brian on the case – where is she BTW

June 2, 2013 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jan in Charlotte, NC

Long overdue – cheers for Cheerios !!!

June 2, 2013 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

I disagree!

June 2, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Brian

keep it to yourself

June 2, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cecilia

Thought the commercial was adorable! Now what REALLY bothers me are the McDonalds billboards everywhere in Spanish..We are in The US!!!!..English please!!

June 2, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • midwestmeetyourmaker

Why don't you just learn_Spanish. Most countries in the world are multi-lingual. It seems the USA might join in. Learning another language is fun, and promotes personal growth.

June 2, 2013 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
      • jb

How about learning english? I would not go to france and expect them to know english! Grow up.

June 2, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
      • everything in Moderation

But most very likely do know English in France and/or German and/or Italian, likely Spanish…

June 2, 2013 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
      • midwestmeetyourmaker

@j b France is a particularly interesting selection for this argument as the French are often very critical of even native French speakers. But, there are still a variety of languages spoken in France. Many of my friends from France are able to speak three and four languages. If you are worried you are missing something important on the Spanish McDonalds billboard, I am sure someone would be happy to translate it for you. I would hate for you to miss out on the meaning of the all important McDonalds advertising. LOL. Have a good day.

June 2, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Brian

yeah, jb... France is one of the biggest English speaking countries. Many regions (mostly central north and western) speak English better than most people from Atlanta. North eastern French speak a brand of french that makes them more inclined to speak Belgian and or German while the southern half of the country are more inclined to speak Italian and Spanish as a second language. Multilingual people are more inclined to have good grades and generally score better on tests than people with one tongue. It's just facts man, face em.

June 2, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
      • noone

There is something to be said for everyone in a country being able to communicate in the same language.

June 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wind

You ought to save up your McDonald spending to purchase a ticket to travel beyond north America for a change. That would be much more healthy for both your physical and mental statuses.

June 2, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. Amir

Why is it always white woman / black man? Why do the advertisers never put black woman with white man? They are the REAL racists and they don't even recognize it.

June 2, 2013 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • everything in Moderation

Sexist. There's more than one bias in the world.

June 2, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. CBSC

Awe, she is so cute. This is reality and everyone needs to get over it!!

June 2, 2013 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. Abigail

It never ceases to amaze me how America, with all their spouting off on how wonderful a country they are, are so riddled with intolerance and hate towards each other. It's like an insidious virus that has spread through the USA. What does it matter if the family is mixed? The racist comments and attitude says nothing about the people whom they are made against, and absolutely everything about the person making them. It's 2013 people, time to evolve.

June 2, 2013 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. Not shocked

I come from a mixed race family, Caucasian mother and African-American father. Twenty-six years old, no records, outstanding full time college student, love my job and my credit isn't ruined. I, personally, am thrilled to see this commercial. Any time I see mixed race couples in commercials I get excited. Is America in denial or something? To the people complaining, do you walk outside with horse blinders on? I mean really, this is not a new concept for mixed races to have caring families. Since the beginning of family advertisement, have mixed families complained about all the millions of same race ads? When has a same race ad been pulled because of their race? Name one. Why does it matter that Cheerios wants to display a normal loving family? All they want to do, like every other business in this world, is draw in a bigger crowd. I hate to break it to you blinder wearing people but that would be multiracial families. This ad would work just the same if they used an Asian or Hispanic child and mother. I believe they used the method they did because that has become the norm and it's not going away.

June 2, 2013 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

Amen!!!

June 2, 2013 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
    • czolgosz

If you're 26 and still in college there's something horribly wrong.

June 2, 2013 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Not shocked

Actually no. I took time off after graduation high school so I could experience the working world so I would have a drive to go through college without dropping out like most. I even took time out to do an internship at Walt Disney World. I'm a full time student, GPA well above 3.0 and I'm graduating with honors. Nothing wrong with getting the partying life done and out of the way so I could concentrate on my future seriously.

June 2, 2013 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Derek

What in ignorant comment to make. I'm proud of the fact that 40 years old, I completed my MBA. Get a clue.

June 2, 2013 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Chester

We should say, "you're 26 and _already_ in college - Good work!" A lot of people take a lot longer to realize the value of education.

June 2, 2013 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
      • michaelarthurdavis

I was 33 when I went back to school. Now I am a physician in a general surgery residency. Who cares how old someone is when they decide to get schooling or to get more schooling? You are going to be that much older, no matter what you choose to do with your time. I applaud people who make rational and ambitious goals to improve their education and their ability to contribute to society. We need more people like that, and fewer people who protest or denigrate such enterprise. Bravo, 26 year old college student!!

June 2, 2013 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

Nothing "horribly wrong" with waiting to attend college until you've experienced other aspects of adult life and developed a clearer understanding of what you want to do. FAR better than blowing your college fund or your parents' savings or racking up your own debts on a nonsense degree and then working any low skill job you can find. Not everyone leaves high school knowing what career to pursue and jumping into college can be a horrible waste of youth and money if you're just doing it because it's the expected "next step" in your education. Not all valuable education, after all, is formal. And not everyone needs a college degree to have a happy, successful life. Better to be a 26 year old in college with your head screwed on straight than a 22 year old unemployed ditz with an expensive diploma.

June 2, 2013 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

There's something horribly wrong with your reasoning...

June 2, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
      • 086wpd

i went to scholl , of some kind all of my 45+ years of work – from college, to a 2+ yr natioanl certification in my field at age 50+ , to several short courses thru the year. it's called enriching your life , to be the best you can be . scoffing at someone who is 26 and in school shows a lack of respect for themselves and self motivation to continue learning. ... just sayin.

June 2, 2013 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
      • 086wpd

and ... i CAN spell , i just can't type well .. yet ... but i am learning .. still .. B|

June 2, 2013 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. steve

ugly child, no more straight hair, blue eyes, blond or brown hair. she looks like a Brazilian!!!!!

June 2, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

OMGee. This kind of comments aloud & allowed here?

June 2, 2013 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

Now...that's simply a bold faced major lie on your part!. She's a very pretty little girl!...and I'm against mixed marriages but I'm not a liar!

June 2, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Pris

So you'd be against, say a Norwegian and a French couple? There is NO SUCH thing as a 'pure' race person anymore. Get a grip. Oh, and you're right about the girl being a cutie-patootie!

June 2, 2013 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |

Did you say Brazilians are ugly? You invalidated your entire goofball post. Lol

June 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Are you crazy? Brazilians are some of the best looking people on the planet!

June 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Denise

When I saw the ad on TV I called my husband to see it because I thought it was 'touching' with the little girl putting the cheerios on her Dad's heart and for no other reason other that that! I didn't even give it another thought because I don't judge people in life by color so why would I judge a commercial in that way! What is wrong with people and why in this day and age should this even be a discussion? I am 62 years old and have see it all and I thought by now, you would all finally become 'color blind'! If not, you sure need to! Hats off to you Cheerios! You are what America should be! Sorry that many can't accept that! 😦

June 2, 2013 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Katy J

Well said. If I met you I am sure I would like you. The world needs more people just like you.

June 2, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Casey

BRAVO! well said 🙂

June 2, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. chamborde

I'm hungry for some cheese.

June 2, 2013 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jeff

Cheerio should really hire someone with a background in sociology/psychology.

It isn't the biracial child that is the issue. What is setting people off is that they instantly recognize yet another multi $$ company pulling another politically correct marketing scheme to "sell cereal." It is a disgusting tactic which drew disgusting attitudes reflected in racial commentaries.

June 2, 2013 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  22. Mr. Magoo

The mom looks pretty yummy.

June 2, 2013 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

I don't think your Trailer Park is located near the beach anyway.

June 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Wilma Webster

Inbreeding leads to more genetic defects. It's healthier to mix the gene pools around a bit. I love cheerios!

June 2, 2013 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  24. Older Fartitis

Ho Ho- don't worry too much folks. Soon enough bigger problems will take center stage, e.g., Alzheimers, Demetia,
    liver failure, heart problems,etc.,The whole wonderful grab bag. Live and let live.

June 2, 2013 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Wilma Webster

Cute commercial. We need more of these. My computer didn't let me replay it as many times as I wanted.

June 2, 2013 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  26. Marcus

I wish they could see my family photo they would totally flip, every color of the rainbow lol. But seriously this was an ad which rather racist folks like it or not is part of a rapidly growing demographic of the world not just the U.S. ....... SO GET OVER IT!!!!!

June 2, 2013 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  27. anita

And i'm so glad my family has stayed non-white so far, hopefully will continue to do so.

June 2, 2013 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

You can't guarantee that any more than most whites can guarantee there is no 'non-white' lineage in their line. My spouse looks white and found out via genealogy that he is part African. I am part Asian and one of our kids is darker like me (mistaken for Hispanic or multiracial black & white) and two are white white. Yet the two who look white white are just as African and Asian as my other son who is dark.

June 2, 2013 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

At least 99.9% of your DNA is exactly the same as the DNA of every single person in the world, excluding those with conditions such as Down Syndrome.

Now, as your name is Anita, I might suspect you have Hispanic heritage. Therefor, you have ancestors from Spain. Therefor you are exceedingly likely to have white ancestors. Therefor, your family already has white in it.

Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

June 2, 2013 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

I know a Dutch woman named Anita. Should we assume she has some Hispanic heritage she doesn't even know about?

June 2, 2013 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Kevin R. Cross.

She could well do. After all, Spain ruled Holland for centuries.

June 2, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Alex

It used to be that the greatest argument against democracy was a five minute conversation with the average voter. Now the greatest argument against democracy is internet comment sections.

June 2, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Debbie

And we wonder why alien worlds refuse to contact us.

June 2, 2013 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Older Fartitis

Basically, they are more racist than we are. I heard one say humans smell funny. My daughter married one, though,
      and they eat Cheerios.

June 2, 2013 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  30. matt houston

Dear Racists...get over it.

June 2, 2013 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  31. john paul

Don't people understand, we all come from one race.
    It's called the HUMAN RACE

June 2, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. Bored

June 2, 2013 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  33. Heh

I actually prefer dating outside my race. I enjoy cultural differences way too much. I've never had anyone say anything rude to me about it, either. When people are happy, let them be happy. There are plenty of people who date within their own races who are miserable.

June 2, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • G

Well, the problem with this sort of thinking is that you consider different races to be from different cultures, which is not always true. Just because someone's ancestors hailed from a different continent than your ancestors doesn't mean that today you are both from different cultures. The quickest way to alienate someone is to treat them as a representative of a large, diverse group, as opposed to an individual.

Declaring an desire to date ONLY people of other races is as much of a deterrent as declaring a desire to date ONLY people of the same race. I should also note that dating people from different cultures means dating people who may be of the same race AND excluding people who may be of a different race.

Culture has a much stronger geographic factor than a genetic factor. I hope you take this into consideration.

June 2, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Amen G. We are all INDIVIDUALS. As soon as we realize that, the sooner we can move on. Even well intentioned efforts to eliminate racism, like pushing multiculturalism, end up furthering racism because they place people into groups. They strip people of individuality. No two people in the world are alike. Your skin color can't define you anymore than your hair color can.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
      • Heather Yamamoto

When on Earth did they mention ONLY dating those outside their race? She said she 'preferred'! Are saying that she is required to be open to dating all races and all cultures because you can't handle that she has a preference? Get off your high horse.

June 2, 2013 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  34. shm

Absolutely disgusting! People should stick to their own race. I hate how the media promotes the "new family."

June 2, 2013 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathy Garcia

It is depressing to see this comment and know that division, bigotry, and ignorance are still so prevalent in the U.S.A. But it is a blessing in diguise that the ignorant are revealed through the strange comments we see on news stories and opinion pieces. As long as the progressive majority is aware that this perverse bigotry is still alive in America we are even more aware of the need to work against this hate and stand for human dignity. We know the sickness of racism is not cured and we also know your days are numbered.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • AJO

I am not a racist, but I am racially aware! I do not (personally) agree with mixing races, & I have never been in a relationship with someone that isn't white. (preference) I care about my race, & I am PROUD just like everyone is proud of the black race. The white race is dwindling down (research and see) by 2040 WHITES will be a minority! Yeah you may not care but black on white crime is on the rise, think about it...for all you people saying "we are all one race" open your eyes & see that blacks are more racist than whites & the same for some other non white races...its a crazy world we live in!

June 2, 2013 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
      • AD

I'm sorry that your perception of the general response of minorities who finally recognize that they are in a inferior position in a society that is set up for them to remain in that social class, and express their anger is seen as racism. what were they thinking.

June 2, 2013 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
      • rh

"Pure whites" are already a minority. Before they updated the census, even multi-racial people who knew clearly that they had non-white ancestors were forced to put white or Asian or African as a race. Now we can list what we truly are, and many many whites are not purely European. My father's roots are from the Caucasus region, and many people like him from that region have substantial Asian ancestry.

June 2, 2013 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Robert

So, what you are saying is that is important to be racist because you are afraid that if you become a minority, then the majority will treat you poorly and discriminate against you?

Huh. So then, if there were more interracial families, blurring the lines of race, then perhaps the whole "us versus them" concept would just be eliminated.

White people aren't the problem. Black people aren't the problem. Racist pieces of garbage like you, whatever the color, are the problem.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that perhaps your problem is fear instead of hate. However, both fear and hate are paths to the dark side.

June 2, 2013 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Concerned citizen

Yeah, but mostly because of the rise of homosexuality

June 2, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
      • jb

We need to preserve the white race before its to late.

June 2, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

You are a racist...

June 2, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Hmm. Actually mixed race/culture families are not "new" at all. They've been around since humans started traveling outside their normal hunting/gathering range. Get your DNA examined and you might be a little amazed to see exactly how you came to be.

June 2, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
      • Wind

SHM is capable of defining race by physical appearance, not DNA....:)

June 2, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Are you seriously that ignorant? I guarantee you are mixed with many types of people also and no Europeans do not see themselves as White instead identify as Belgium, British, French, etc. I sometimes wish we could feature these idiots & stuff cameras in their face at work and embarrass them. I don't mind disagreements, but bold faced, ignorant lies made by Schzos and 30 year old men loving in mama's basement really does get old. Grow a pair and join the civilized world.

June 2, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Loving=living or actually that might be how they stay "pure", lol.

June 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Interracial Relationships is NOT an Anomaly

Interracial Relationships is NOT an Anomaly... It is the future of Homo Sapiens. I am a doctor and a geneticist. I was born in Kerala, an ancient kingdom on the southern tip, west coast of India. My family is an ancient one, and I can trace it back 30 generations.. my ancestral family home was built approximately in 1150 AD and it is still standing. I am a 'Pureblood'. All of that said, I do NOT believe in race distinctions, whatsoever. My wife is 'Caucasian'...her father has English roots and her mother is Italian.. therefore, she is already a 'mongrel'. Love does not make these distinctions... I see her as a beautiful woman... who is a nurse, and also a champion level competition swing dancer. My future children will be gorgeous And Intelligent. That is a Fact.
    All of you who think that interracial relationships are 'wrong'...are wrong! Most of these progeny blend the best of both races, and the daughters often end up starring in beauty pageants and often win. The men are equally good looking. All of that is on the surface.
    What you fail to recognize is that Homo Sapiens is the species. Race is non-existent. There are many 'breeds' of dogs...yet they are all one species...do you see them fight with each other, with the Dobermans versus the Chihuahuas, the German Shepherds versus the English Bulldogs? NO. They sniff at each other, make friends, and play. That is ALL.
    On the other hand, there are many Species of dolphins, not races or subtypes, but species... yet they do NOT make war on each other... ever. When was the last time that you saw the bottlenose dolphins making war on Atlantic spotted dolphin... or the dolphins of the seas making war on the dolphins of the rivers? It is NOT done. Apparently, they have more intelligence in this aspect than Homo Sapiens. Dogs do not make war on each other based on color or subtype.... oh but not Homo Sapiens.
    Either we learn the Truth from our world, that we are ALL one species... or we drop the "Sapiens" from our species name... because we are apparently NOT that intelligent.

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • abc's

India; Open defecation capitol of the world. So much for listening to Swami's

June 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. the local explorer

It's a sweet ad.

June 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • porchmonkey

CNN are race baiters

June 2, 2013 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
      • parthenogene

Yes , they bait ignorant racist trolls such as yourself...

June 2, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

I would not worry CNN if I was you. It seems your negative and simplistic comment says more about your intelligence level and likely SES (Socio Economic Status).

June 2, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jorge

The only thing I see is an overweight, black man, who statistically is more likely to have heart problems than a similar sized/aged white man, being loved by his daughter who happens to be of mixed race. If the whole family had been black then the outrage would be for portraying all blacks as unhealthy heart-problem-prone (even if on average it may be true for a higher percentage when compared to other races.) I think it is a smart ad, made in a way that conveys a lot of information relevant to the product. Well done Cheerios. Oh, by the way, the article failed to provide a context about the nature of the "outrage" or "controversy" the ad caused, in essence we are forced to either follow their links and figure it out, or assume we are not being misled by the writer. Poor reporting, again, CNN.

June 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

Seems that CNN is trying to use a few random comments from the usual Hater-Trolls to gin up a story about race.   So here is a report from reality.  This morning in Oakland, California, my daughter's soccer team played their last game of the season.  Of about 11 players on our team, no fewer than five were multi-racial.   When they lined up for the pre-game check in, every skin tone was presented–from coffee to cream and anything in between.   It was a beautiful sight.  The girls played their hearts out and the parents all cheered and high-fived.   Afterwords, there was a celebration and talk of summer plans.    Just another Saturday in America–2013.

June 1, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jack Be Humble

Not every community is as diverse as Oakland. If you 50 miles east as the crow flies, you end up in Stockton. I don't think the teams there would show the same amount of diversity, nor would the parents be as welcoming of the concept.

June 2, 2013 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  38. disgustedvet

Who cares .

June 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jennifer jones

all of us care, including you, i pray that you have a soul......

June 2, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  39. jennifer jones

Racism is a form of mental illness!!!

June 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  40. elvinmerij

Canada has had this for years. England too.

I feel sorry for America.

June 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • blahblahblah

It isn't about racial equality. It's about stirring the pot, bringing up controversy, and constant conflict. That aside, coming from an interracial marriage, I highly discourage others from mixing races. At the core of it, it's a selfish desire. For the sake of finding love from another race, when you have kids you subject them to a life time of rejection and lack of self-identification.

June 1, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • daj

What? Are you aware that our President is biracial.... These negative reactions always happen with change. Change will happen, but there will always be people trying to stop it. You should be proud to be a part of the change. Be bold. Be proud. Don't apologize for who you are.

June 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. theoldchief

This causes a stir because people are ignorant, and ignorance is bliss. People are so willing to be led around by the liberal media, or the church, or the politicians, that they won't think for themselves anymore. We need to face today's reality, and it is not the same reality of 200 years ago. We are an intelligent, thinking, reasoning evolving race - we should act like it.

June 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Wotan

This commercial is accurate in that half-caste Black offspring look absolutely nothing like their White parent, enough to dissuade any White woman from breeding with Blacks.

June 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • DARON

People are so ignorant. Their was abousulty nothing wrong with this commercial.

June 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribed

Wotan, I caught your granpa having a lemon party with the other grandpas. I think you should join them 🙂

June 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

your a horrible person, and will die alone & forgotten.

June 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Pete

We all I die alone! Let it go

June 2, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • sean

lol.....good thing "you and your way of thinking is dying off'......we are allllll......mixed black, white, red, yellow, brown,...the lie is that you and I are a "color"....shear falsehood....spirit is only true sense of who we are.....but I understand your thought process and hope you one day walk into "truth" or just fade off.

June 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • the local explorer

I hope you change your mind one day, but the world will become a fairer place despite you.
      Honestly, you will be a happier person if you accept other people for who they are.

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • parthenogene

hopefully, no one is "breeding " with you...

June 2, 2013 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Good thing is you will be single your entire life or your wife will get rid of you once the kids are grown. Poor little unimportant men always lash out when their own lives are falling apart.

June 2, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  43. ranlo

Too Cute!

June 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. rockesh

Unbelievable. This commercial would cause a stir for those who don't live in and deal with reality and are decades behind the times. Speaking of times, pull up the April 9, 1990 and November 18, 1993 issues of Time magazine for articles on the changing demographics in the U.S. Hold on to your seats, but within the past few weeks it was reported that for the first time in an election (2012), the number of black voters showing up at the polls surpassed the number of white voters who showed. The times, they've been a changin'. Get real!

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mercury

Where would the American Right be without the miracle of inbreeding?

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  46. A Sad Reality Indeed

REALLY? It's sad that this type of message is met with racism. On another note, I met a biracial girl who looked more like her white side than her black side, and she had sores on her lip, was racist against black people (who were much better than her) and acted like a bonobosluuutin heat with AIDS. Her name was Brooks and she was a Williams' grad.

June 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kevin

There will always be racist idiots unfortunately....they are just easier to find because of the internet.

June 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wind

It's only true to a certain extent. Without internet it is there as well.

June 2, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Yeah, but the Internet has given a voice to Schizos and many who lack emotional maturity that say anything without fear of being called out except when CNN or another agency show up at their door.

June 2, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  48. Mixed Here

The fact that this commercial was made and has caused the uproar that it has is just sad. Being multiracial myself (black father, German/Arabian mother) I have had to defend my mixed heritage in both educational and social settings my entire life. I think attempting to place one label over another (or utilize that awful "one drop rule" from SLAVERY) is very disrespectful and downright ancient. It bothers me tremendously every time I have to defend my thinking as it pertains to my many races. The world just needs to get over the issue of color because it holds no real relevance in society. We all look different..... GET OVER IT.

June 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • smccuen

Right.

June 2, 2013 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

I don't know where you live, but I have not had to defend my background since I honestly I was able to defend myself. Maybe it is that I am an Army Veteran, but it could be when you walk in my office you see two graduate degrees. I carry myself in a manner that lets one understand I am Man first and shenanigans around my background would not be acceptable or wise to communicate. However, the women I have met are curious, but I am not married, a single dad and stable so different reasons. I am a Man first, American 2nd, Veteran 3rd and everything after that is just extra awesomeness, lol.

June 2, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Ps, I love being biracial or more importantly that my mother gave me the tools to navigate through two different groups of people that have some members within their ranks that hold onto outdated archaic belief systems about race and miss out on all the good things life has to offer. The hardest part of being Biracial is socially constructed groups want to claim your success for their own (Obama) or throw nasty little marginalizing stereotypes on you even if they don't fit (Tiger). The days of us having to claim a race is dying. My son has blond hair with huge curls, blue eyes, but will he have to choose a side, likely not as long as he is educated, motivated and as AC/DC says have a "Stiff Upper Lip".

June 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mary Ann

This is such a heart warming commercial. I love it!

June 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sean

I agree......just wondering what took us sooooooo...long...to get here...lol..."WAKE UP AMERICA"......Great commercial..!!

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. DLW

Good for Cheerios! Its a great ad on both fronts... heart healthy and diversity... cute, adorable and funny!

June 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Daniel

Why does it always have to be a white girl and black man? Why is it never a black girl and white man? I mean wtf.

June 1, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  52. The Bobster

I'm not surprised that a jew agency created a disgusting commercial promoting the bedroom genocide of the White race. I'm never buying Cheerios again.

June 1, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • loverpoint

Whether it is a TV commercial or TV show they always use a Black Male with a Caucasian Wife, not visa versa, and they are always portrayed as great responsible Lovers and Fathers, which is really a distortion of facts and brainwashing. Black males have a higher likelihood of becoming dead beat dads.

It is also interesting that off spring of biracial parents never associate themselves with the Caucasian Parent.

In todays society it is now taboo to portray a black person as the bumbling idiot in a sitcom.

June 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

Vile Racists and Xenophobes like the Bobster are what is wrong with this Country. Luckily, that kind with fade away... Hopefully soon.

June 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • sqeptiq

Troglodyte is way too nice a word for the bobster. To call him a scrofulous cretin would be unfair to scrofulous cretins.

June 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • johnbgood

It must be fun to be in advertising these days.

June 1, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Boycott General Mills products.

June 1, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • sqeptiq

I'm going to start buying extra cheerios and passing them out to people.

June 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sia

Never buying cheerios again? More for us then....

June 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita

You should definitely keep the white race white, no one else would want to be a part of it, they feel their own cultures, particularly eastern & asian cultures, are far far better.

June 2, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Siestasis

Fine, could you promise not to breed also, we do not need any more of your limited intelligence in the gene pool.

June 2, 2013 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

So, you don't like Jews or Blacks or Cheerios? Why not find another country to live in? You might be happier there.

June 2, 2013 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

I'm sure Cheerios is quaking in the boots at the loss of your business.

June 2, 2013 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • gman9mm

bobster, It is clear that you love your own race and that is good thing. While most of the posters here are quick to condemn your comments, I totally agree with them. The extermination of the white race has long been a goal of the jews and they will stop at nothing to achieve it. Race mixing is but one of many methods to bring the white race to a point of extinction. Sadly, many whites would be fine with that. They have no idea of their own glorious history but have bought in to the brainwashing of the jewish propaganda education_system. To love one's own race is not to be a white supremacist as that evil label is used. I join you in a lifelong boycott of Cheerios!

June 2, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Define what a Jew is because I am curious if you even know the diversity within that group of human beings. Secondly, you need to travel because as an American you sure the helll are not "purebred" and probably have some Native American or African genes in you.

June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Clyde

Good for both of you! Eat corn flakes, but please stop breeding. This way your hate will just pass away with you.

June 3, 2013 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Then what will you buy out of your food stamps?

June 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. rudy phoot

I live in North Carolina. There are so many white people in this state that do the very things people attribute primarly to black people. So why the need for all the bigotry?

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • smccuen

I live in the Carolinas, too. There are a good many multi-racial people living here in intact families and in single-parent homes (no different from mono-racial folks). But it is likely that somewhere in this comment section someone will make the blatantly false statement that a family scene like that depicted in the commercial is rare or limited to the West Coast, etc etc. Folks need to wake up, pay attention, get over it and be happy people love each other.

June 2, 2013 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • parthenogene

It's not as if bigots are reasonable...

June 2, 2013 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Wind

I am in Texas and you don't see mixed race quite often....especially in smaller towns besides Houston and Dallas.

June 2, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

Texas has a large amount of multiracial people and in regards to small towns most people live in cities. Towns which are not known as economic or cultural centers for diversity. Ps, someone can be multiracial and most people would never know it unless travelled and cultured.

June 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. CNNHypocrites

Funny how CNN puts in its story:

"The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. "....yet in EVERY instance they only point out that Obama is black.

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Exactly. Obama is no more black than he is white. He was also raised by his grandmother who was a wealthy white woman. Everybody seems to forget that.

June 1, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • stop

I think it's funny that when Blacks were slaves if you had one drop of black blood you are Black and a slave. but now it different. l i know you don't want to hear this but you are what your Father is. so if you are a German man and you have babies with a black woman that baby is still German. just a Black German. this is why white don't like race mixing. white can be eliminated just by co cohabiting around people of color. you whites are the ones who stated the whole color nonsense any way.. Obama may not be African American but he is certainly a Black man.

June 1, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kevin

Obama, being half white, has broken down barriers for the white "race". Now, even if we marry people of different races, and have children, we can dream that those children can grow up to achieve great things, even the Presidency.

June 2, 2013 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Jamal

His grandmother was not wealthy, but that's beside the point. Obama is a Politician who was raised by White family members and did not have a lot of "black friends" growing up. Obama besides his mother ancestors does not share in the black experience from ancestral standpoint. Obama is the first Biracial president, but he is a politician and they all are "used car salesman" telling people what they want to hear especially target group whether select poor Whites (Republicans) or poor Blacks (Democrats). Poor usually is the least educated and culturally isolated parts of our society that are the easiest to manipulate for political gain. I am Biracial and to claim to be Black would be to simplistic, but most importantly a denial of the important people that impacted me which is my Mom and late Grandma Joan. Politicians will sell out for a happy meal if it means a quick vote no matter their background.

June 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • loverpoint

Why do they always portray biracial marriages as Black Male and White Female ?

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • blahblahblah

It's funny how that is. Even if it's not a love relationship depicted, it's odd to me that commercials and even infomercials pair up a black man and a white woman. Maybe we should all just breed with black people and in a few generations, we'll all be the same color.

June 1, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • anita

Look around u, it seems to be the reality u see everywhere versus the other way around

June 2, 2013 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
      • Kevin

They don't always portray black men with white women.

Spock may not be white, but the actor who plays him is. He is involved with Uhura, a black woman. In classic trek, one of the first interracial kisses was between Kirk and Uhura. The interracial couple on The Jeffersons was a white man with a black wife. Ted Danson and Whoopi Goldberg were an item for a while. Go see Jekyll & Hyde on Broadway this month to see Constantine Maroulis and Deborah Cox.

June 2, 2013 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
    • JustinFromNJ

Come on, everyone knows that in order to be white you need to be 100% white. If you've got 1 drop of black blood in you you're black.

June 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

NEWS FLASH: Obama HIMSELF identifies as a Black Man. All the Racists seem to agree with this, regardless of WHO was white in his ancestry.

June 1, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mom of Bi Racial Family

It really is much ado about nothing. We exist. We love our children. We earn an honest living. We pay our taxes. We are nothing more than an American family. Color didn't stop us from falling in love. Color didn't stop us from raising children. I am amazed that this is even an issue.....move on people....there are more important things in this world....

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • smccuen

well said

June 2, 2013 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  56. HC

Good on ya Cheerios; hello all you haters out there ... mixed families have been around since the dawn of time. It's about time there was something out there depicting this reality and I hope to see more.

June 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • katief

Actually, to The Bobtard, er, I mean, The Bobster, "professor Allison Blakely of Boston University describes the presence of blacks in Early Modern Europe. His article reminds us that persons of African ancestry resided across Europe. Their numbers ranged from a few hundred scattered across Germany, Scandinavia and Russia in the period between the 16th and 18th Centuries to approximately 150,000 on the Iberian peninsula." in an article called "The Black Presence in Pre-20th Century Europe: A Hidden History". Just ONE example.

June 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. V. Prichett

No problem with the Cheerios commercial., just like I have no problem with the interracial State Farm commercial. Anyone see that one? We see interracial couples/families everyday in real life. I don't see what the problem is. People should stop being prejudice and let people live their life.

June 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLevel

is this Vickey?

June 2, 2013 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  58. Tom

I think there are a lot of dinosaurs and people in denial out there in regard to the reality of today's world.

June 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Mbgator

I totally disagree with the whole idea of racially mixed marriages and "half breed" kids. Mr obama is a perfect example of the extreme prejudice that emerges from these relationships. Cheerios will never be in our house again. I am not a white supremist by any means, but people should stay within their respective race.

June 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • shan22044

As grandpa in the Simpsons would say, "Too Late!"

Look at your own family tree and see how homogeneous it really it (not!), sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black.

June 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

hmm....gator...how appropriate for a social, cultural dinosaur. I'm sure your predecessors are from the purist of breeds.

June 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • blahblahblah

Why do you have to attack him for having an opinion? Let's pretend he is 'purebred'. I'm a 'half-breed', and I agree with him. Don't subject your children to the life they will have to put up with because you had to produce offspring with a different race.

June 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rsc

Mbgator, so you are saying all people of mixed race are going to have the same views as Obama? The is very narrow minded thinking. That would mean that every person of white decent is a racist then if we judge a race, country, or group off the actions of one person. Also by your statement you are saying extreme prejudice only comes from people of mixed relationships, then i guess the KKK, black panthers, and all racial hate groups are from mixed relationships. Racism and "extreme prejudice" have been around for a long time. As long as we continue to be narrow minded and see ourselves as different and not as Americans (one country) we will always have a problem with race........and since I am sure you thought it, no I didn't vote for Obama.

June 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • HC

Soory Mbgator, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it is wrong ... and let's see could we get a copy of your DNA and family tree? You my friend are not 100 percent pure ... please repeat after me .... Heinz 57 (made up of a little bit of everything) and that my friend is reality

June 1, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Areyouforreal

Mbgator, you comments are so narrow minded you should probably kept them to yourself. No one cares what you think. You live your life they way you want and let others live and love who they chose. Kept your racist views to yourself. Get a life!!!

June 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

ah- but you can't play it like that, now can you? You have a right to express your opinion and he has the same perfect right to express his. Isn't that what diversity is all about? Live and let live? He's not stopping anyone from doing what they want to do or saying what they think. You don't have to agree with him and he doesn't have to keep his thoughts to himself any more than YOU do.

June 2, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ram

Your post doesn't even make sense. Racism isn't created by mixing skin colors. It's created by people who are afraid. President Obama is just one of millions of people...actually pretty much all of us if you go far enough back...who are of mixed race. If you don't want to marry someone a bit of a different shade of skin color than you are, then just don't. Otherwise sorry, but it's been done since the beginning of people. You can hate all you want, but what does a black child and white mother on tv have to do with you eating Cheerios? Seriously...your threat is silly. If you know biology you would know a great way to keep a population healthy is to intermix genes instead of inbreeding. How sad for you that you are so limited in your thinking.

June 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • athomeinthewoods

gator I would love to see your blood lines I have found that those who are of a bigoted nature whether it be biracial families, homosexuality or even religion are most often yelling the loudest in hopes of covering what they believe to be " family secrets" IE Adolf Hitler, most white slave owners who had mix race children, and religious leaders who while screaming about gays are themselves hiding abuse. The time has come to live your life and leave everyone else to live theirs. I can promise you none of these lifestyles are going away.

June 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Hi, Biracial person here.

Please drink an entire gallon of bleach. Stat.

June 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • smccuen

see – what we have here is proof positive that biracial folks can be "just like us" – rude, insensitive, impulsive and dismissive of folks who express different opinions......and, they, too, can learn to temper their words and grow day by day so that we all get better at the whole "live and let live" thing. Life is easier when you don't make enemies of what is not familiar and when you try not to spew "fighting words" when there's really nothing to fight about.

June 2, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • sqeptiq

There is only one race of humans and everyone alive has a black ancestor.

June 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

Only in America could really dumb comments like these be published. No more Cheerios for you because you don't like their commercials showing a diverse America. The age of dinosaurs is over. Racial purity? Sounds like something we fought WW II about.

June 2, 2013 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  60. Andrewmag166

Guess they figure somgle moms will buy lots of Cheerios with all their free money, it's Wic approved

June 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rsc

I guess there has never been a single white mom whose white husband left her......get real man!!!

June 1, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mack

20 bucks says you're white and your parents are divorced?

June 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. JayneQP

I love the commercial! It's cute!

June 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bilbo

Hate to say it, buddy, but you're the one who's trash. Prejudicial people like you make me sick!

June 1, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Peaceful

Please people, When asked what nationality you are , what do you say? If you have to answer more than one , you too are racially mixed. Btw I am Italian, Portuguese, Albanian. I am one of very few people now days with that few. The only person I know living that is only one nationality is my mom and lets face it Portugal has been invaded by so many countries , Lord knows what I really am.

June 1, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jim

If it were a big deal, would Barack Obama be the leader of the free world? A few loudmouths do not control American thought.

June 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribarian

Just a few people with money do actually, and a whole bunch of distracted sheeple go along with it.....

June 1, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MS

I only live on this planet because I have no other choice. It's stories like this one that are the reasons why I would leave if I could.

June 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mercury

Clearly, the American Right prefers to remain inbred.

June 1, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Khagaraj

" The leader of the free world ".How corny ! The phrase sounds like something from an ancient religious text.

June 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

You might want to get rid of your comment of how "corny" that sounds..It has been used for decades. It sounds as if you are the one lost and out of it

June 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • john long

How true. Only liberals refer to him as 'the leader of the free world'. In reality, he's just another guy doing his job....but since many liberals do not believe in a god, they look for a replacement in people and find one in the president. Simple, sheep, bah, bah. Follow me...I'm your new leader.

June 1, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  68. petroskies

the people learn to be very political in that point, they never said the real true, they keep for themselves we live in the world of whole night-blindness

June 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Ac summers

Black or white. It was about time a company embrace diverse families in advertising products. I saw the commercial and I cheered, went out a brought 4 boxes of cheerios. General Mills has my support.

June 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ac summers

Its long overdue. Multicultural families are here to stay. Especially in the Americas.

June 1, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I agree. The commercial is great.

June 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. rogue

This is the face of America. Get used to it.

June 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Naharol

The important lesson is that other people are not you no matter if their skin tone is similar or other...you cant put your own expectations about how someone else should behave onto another. All you can do is choose to not hang out with this person.

June 1, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • butterflypoette

True. I am personally not interested in interracial dating, but if other people do it, it's their business and not mine. And I won't hate those people either. It's not right.

June 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Hilarious

The commercial is hilarious.

June 1, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Not as hilarious as the idiots responding.

June 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  73. AMERICA 1st

I dont approve of mixed marriages. It aint natural!

June 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Der101

Being a dim witted American, how many cousin's have you slept with

June 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

I gave 34 years of my life as an Army Officer – proud to defend the things that make America great. I served along side of Americans of every color and ethnic origin. I'm sorry to say that you represent a faction of America not worth defending.

June 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

I blame the existence of trolls on the people who respond to them with serious comments.

June 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

I think you are wrong, I like trolling because it is fun and makes me laugh, which is healthy. I also laugh at other trolls' postings which is the whole point of reading comment boards. The fact that my life sucks and I am underemployed and feel hopeless and helpless is also a contributing factor as well I'm sure.

June 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Hi, hello! Biracial person here. You also need to drink a gallon of bleach.

I'm so sorry you're upset but get over it.

June 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • mogran

Agree

June 2, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  74. AMERICA 1st

Youll find that when the vast majority of black males find out their white girlfriend is pregnant that skip out and leave that female in a bad situation. Its sad but true!!!

June 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • BukkakeInYerFace

Oh boy, you must be really lonely.

June 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shauna

I was with my black boyfriend for 5 years and have now been married to him for 5 years beyond that and have a son together. We are very close with another mixed race couple and the husband/dad is a doctor and takes care of his family. Maybe you need to change the people you hang around?

June 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ac summers

This thing does not hang around people. They are social retards who only think one dimensional and hateful towards anything different. Sad beings in this world.

June 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debra

That is the case for the vast majority of all males no matter the color, creed or nationality!

June 1, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  75. cbp

There are people in the USA who will not accept interracial marriages or biracial children. Call it racist or something else. There were many comments about Mrs. Obama that were racist in nature and about the President as well. We have nto gotten away form racism and prejudice. It exists int he highest level of our government including Congress. Some do not like the fact that we elected an man who is biracial.

Just read the comment section following an article about the President or First Lady. Those who write these comments will not change.

June 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bergie

As I told friends and family after Pres. Obama was first elected: now I can truly tell my biracial grandsons that they can do anything they want to work hard for when they grow up, even be president of our country!

June 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Naharol

I think some are offended bevause its not realistic. If the woman was a large white female with a black mate...this is possible. This commercial shows a leave it to beaver type mom shacking up with a black male which can be taken as a stretch of imagination.

June 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penny

My step daughter is a beautiful, slender, educated white woman, married for 13+ years to a kind, intelligent, educated black man......he is obviously a better catch than you ever were!!

June 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BukkakeInYerFace

I think it shows how unrealistic in your neck of the woods. Let me guess, midwest or south, right?

June 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Greg

You've obviously never been to the midwest. I've lived all over the U.S, but was born and raised in the midwest. There are more interracial couples there of every shape and size than I've seen anywhere else. I've also lived in parts of California that would freak out if they see a mixed couple.

June 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Did you ever see Tiger Woods wife? Also, we all know you, it is a simple matter of reading your so called thoughts, which are non-original, simplistic and just dumb. Pretty good huh, like looking in a mirror.

June 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shauna

I'm a slender attractive female and married to an equally attractive wonderful man. I can't believe how people stereotype.

June 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Voltron101

lol.. it's actually the other way around. You'd almost never see a black man dating a plus sized white woman. Why do so when there are countless plus sized black females waiting to be taking? Come out of your cave.

June 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Klemmer

It should have been the other way around– a black woman and a white man. A lot of folks don't like to see a black man and a white woman cuz it implies that black woman are not beautiful.

June 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • black guy

lots of black athletes like white girls. they are better than black women.

June 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naharol

You shack up with a person whos a black female then come back and report to us

June 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Roberta

This is what my household looked like growing up-and I'm almost 40. The fact that people still have issues with mixed families is disappointing. I spent my entire childhood feeling like a spectacle and I often told my mom about the things that people would say to me, or how strangely they looked at us when we were out. She thought it was all my own insecurity, but people's reaction to this commercial shows the ugly truth about our country.

My own kids are tri-racial but they look like my husband, an for the most part so do I, so we don't get the stares or comments but to know that other families like the one I was raised in are still considered odd or offensive by so many people is truly disheartening.

June 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

I've made an interesting observation... the most beautiful children I've seen are of mixed race. It seems kids just get the best features from each parent.

June 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Homer

So true. My wife is Chinese and thank god they got her best features and not mine. We have beautiful children that I am very proud of.

June 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Why do you care if somebody doesn't like mixed races? Are you in charge of everyone else's preferences?

June 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  79. HumanRights4All

This is sad that many Americans are still prejudiced? My God people can't we have equality for all?!

June 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  80. chris

as a black man, i don't need cnn to clue me into the fact that there are ALL KINDS of people who don't like me because of my skin color. yes, a huge majority of them ARE white and it'll be that way till i die and even after that, there are a really scared bunch of people who have done all they can to promote themselves as the ONLY way to live in america. to not adhere to the "white ideal" is not to become a criminal or less than capable being, they just don't want to change a bit of themselves to understand anyone else, they are against ANY change at all which by cosmic standards, is as unnatural as it gets. all things change and there is no stopping it...

June 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

we all don't feel that way just the stupid ones

June 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • fergiegirl

Chris the bottom feeders that believe this c**p do not represent the rest of us

June 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Nearly everyone in America is a mix breed of some sort. I'm sure my ancestors would not be happy to know that throughout time their offspring has mixed with French, Russian, German and Irish. In todays world all people see from someone that is of European descent is someone that is white. Here we are regarding a color as a race and objecting to the mix of colors. Rather pathetic and extremely narrow minded in my eyes. I know it'll never happen in my lifetime, but I would love to see the continuation of mixing the races until we are all so diluted with multiple nationalities and ethnicities that no one would be able to differentiate themselves from another. That would fix the race issue, then maybe we could work on the religion issue to finally put a stop to all of the fighting and bickering over that. Just a thought.

June 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

You say that "the white ideal is not to become a criminal". So, you think white people are racists because they don't approve of a culture which encourages you to be a criminal? How very progressive of you.

June 2, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Der101

wow... americans are the most racist half educated people in the world. this is an everyday scene in Canada. Congrats to Cheerio's and to the rest of you haters you need to move out of your back water neighbourhood and realize that theres nothing wrong with this. quit banging your cousin's and move on.

June 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • fergiegirl

Please do not lump all Americans into this narrow minded, hateful and ignorant group of bottom feeders

June 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mister Cool Ice

It is ironic how you, the supposedly enlightened and progressive Canadian, demonstrate your moral superiority by making derogatory stereotypes about people in another country.

June 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Seattle Sue

I think I have a lot of in common with blacks in me.as I have two legs, two arms two eyes, two ears, ten fingers and so forth. And yes my nose is a little wide.

June 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Roberto

Ok, I live in a country not so wealthy (Brasil), plagued with inequalities, violence and low education. Yet, we live quite well along with each other. A multiracial familly could not be an issue here, as we are a multiracial country (well, I can imagine some of the "purists" American arguing that this is the cause of our maladies). But anyway, some people here usually see the United States of America as an example of progress, education, well being and development. However, when you look deeper into what the American society is really like, the picture is not very nice. Let the "pure" white christians (yes! some of these people call themselves christians) marry among themselves, hasten their genetic diseases and imperfections, live in their limited world of denials and hate until they naturally disappear. The new world is multi. That is what some people cannot accept. Beware America, for you may not have a future... It is unbelievable that a theme so common such as a multiracial familly still causes rage in the United States. It seems like the "real America" every once in a while shows its real face. Sad...

June 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bilbo

To repeat what has been said so often, Roberto, please don't lump most open-minded good Americans (many the new generation) in with the gutter prejudicial garbage. I'm optimistic that they are a minority. It's time to end the prejudice against races, nationalities, religions, and those who were born LGBT. Let's make it a better world for our descendents.

June 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  84. danielwalldammit

It's a cute commercial.

Those making bigoted statements about it can rot!

June 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Miami

The same group vote for Bill Clinton but nobody complained that only While males were the only option!!!

June 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  86. vgs1895

Another media-hyped story. It's a slow day for CNN I guess. I'm mixed race and I don't care about whether people like or hate the commercial. I'm more concerned that CNN feels the need to promote hatred by publishing such stories.

June 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

Let's make a deal:

You don't click, we don't cover.

Does that sound fair?

-Signed: CNN

June 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

HOW DARE YOU, appoint yourself as the decider of what issues are important to us MINORITIES?

The you wonder why your party is on its way to he11.

June 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • FrmrMrine

Ah yes, another comment about how calling out racism is the cause of racism. Another variation, of course, is the 'if you call me out for my racism you are being racist because you're playing the 'race card'.

But comments like this are simply proof that we still have a long way to go.

June 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsl

So where's CNN's message of hate? Is it hate to report the shameful reaction to the commercial by a bunch of ugly, hateful Americans. And there sure seems to be a lot of anger and hate in your flame of a reason article.

June 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Cambridge Ray

There are TWO kinds of Conservatives:

• One group is busy spreading hatred

• The other group is busy denying that the first group exists

Don't believe me? Check by yourself: Just scroll up & down. Go to ANY Internet forum.

June 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

Actually, I a being unfair, there is a 3rd. group:

• Collin Powell

June 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • danielwalldammit

...and he is increasingly disowned by other 'conservatives,' ...except when they need him.

June 1, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jtom

You don't have to read many comments from liberals before you see the same hate and intolerance. Racism cuts across both ends of the political spectrum. There are plenty of black females complaining about white girls taking their black men, and they dislike this commercial intensly.

Also, please don't use the generic descriptor 'conservative'. There are many of us who are fiscally conservative and socially progressive. Living within ones means is not a racist concept.

June 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Opizze

Living within your means is not a conservative only concept either.

June 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • nsl

If you're socially liberal, then where is your voice in condemning the hatred and racism in the Rep's party. All we hear is silence, and that's never going to get my vote or anything from me except disgust, and a vote for the other guys and gals.

The only thing we hear today from the Reps is hatred of people of color, any color, hatred of non-Christians, hatred of women, hatred of older people who worked hard their whole lives and who now sees the Reps trying to ensure they can't get medical insurance and will have the Social Security income they earned through their hard work taken away.

I ask again, if that's not you, then where is your voice, as all we hear from conservatives is either hate speech or silence, and silence is no better than hate in this case.

June 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debra

There is a 4th group. I`m a conservative and I approuve this commercial. It`s cute and it is about time!

June 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Martin

What is a pure race? Do you think that you are pure? You sound very arrogant to me. Maybe we should all be one race with one language so people like you would have one less thing to be frightened about.

June 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Subramanian Venkatraman

For a change could you think over where America would have been if we continued in the same vein as our forefathers 200 years before? We will still have more than half of the population under bondage. Probably we will be spending more than half of our national budget in protecting ourselves from our own people. We would be staunch believes in the policy of "Might is Right" (Some of us still think so!). Our women will still be cooking and stitching and bearing children. What does a man, who owns a herd of cattle, do most of the day? Tend the herd and make most of it. If you were owning a herd of cattle or a herd of men, you would have been doing the same thing. Most likely we would be one better than the poorest of the poor African nation!

June 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Wake Up

Racism is alive and well stop trying to downplay this outrage with "oh they'll die out" FYI it's not the "old white men" that you think it is.

June 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  91. raymond cook

Whatever happened to people being judged on the content of their character?

June 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TAK

The problem, as usual, is too many people without character are doing the judging.

June 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cambridge Ray

"Whatever happened to people being judged on the content of their character?"

You just stated that the President of NOW should be a man, if he has good content of character.

Ditto with the Association of WWII Veterans: a 20-year-old with LOTS of character.

June 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • FrmrMrine

No he didn't. He didn't advocate anyone being given a position on the basis of their gender or age. He said people should be judged on the content of their character. I'm 5' 6". I will never be an NBA star. But that has nothing to do with the content of my character. Similarly, being a black man married to a white woman isn't the same as holding a position in an organization that exists for the promotion of one gender's or one association's goal. It's participation in a universal institution open to all people.

June 1, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • nsl

You know that's a bunch of nonsense. You know that's not what that means. So why do you bother to say such garbage.

June 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Dang right! The little girl is fat, is a horrible dresser, and can't talk well. That's not my idea of cute.

June 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Pensimmon

Cute ad. You are trying to reach all your target market, which includes mixed race couples for sure. Congratulations on recognizing all families.

June 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Martin

What if all you people that find mixed race families disgusting have a son or daughter who marries into another race? Do you stop loving that child or do you open your heart to acceptance? Isn't loving well the only thing that really matters?

June 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Happy Gilmore

This video is pretty funny. I like it. I will buy some more cheerios!

June 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Belseth

It's a cute commercial. I noticed it was a mixed race couple but I know so many of them including my sister's family it didn't strike me personally as all that odd. 40 years ago and maybe even 30 years ago I would have expected it to raise eyebrows but it's so common now it's almost more bizarre that people see a problem. Sadly I think it's more an issue now than it would have been 15 years ago. Conservative racists are embolden these days and feel like they have to defend racial purity, gee it does sound Nazi like doesn't it. A lot of them are freaked out at having a mixed race President, yes President Obama isn't black it's just as much white. He's the future all you racists out there. Already from genetic testing they are finding most Americans have some black, native american or Asian blood in them. In another hundred years it'll be rare to not have. In a thousand in the US at least race will be such a blurry line there will be no definable races. Some parts of the world will probably refuse to mix but the US will be one big unhappy family whether people like it or not.

June 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Happy Gilmore

Love the video. Sad to see all the racists comments. Hicks please go. No one wants you here.

June 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • FrmrMrine

I propose a new constitutional convention of the states with a view toward allowing the South to establish a new third world racist homophobic nation. Who's with me?

June 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Pohakulua

Funny- I watched this on tv and didn't even notice anything different about it. It is normal for me. Though that may be that 42 years ago I married a dark skinned polynesian man and yes we are still together and still blissfully in love.

You love the person and it matters not what race they are. I love my beautiful brown children too.

June 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Mary, Ohio

Whites are already a world minority. Until I start reading these posts, I don't realize how many uneducated, rigid, backward people there are in this country. It's very sad, especially since your children are in the 21st century with 19th century upbringings. They're in for a shock.

June 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Chewbacca

Mixed-race families and the half-breeds they produce are DISGUSTING!!

June 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Himteckerjam

Stay pressed, white boy.

June 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • martin

With a name like chewbacca, I can only assume that you are an ape!

June 2, 2013 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

Well said, many if not most are ugly.

June 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Red

Of course it's causing a stir. If it ain't white, then white people will moan and groan about it. Go back to the mountains of Europe. What a bunch of crybabies and sissies.

June 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |