May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,494 Responses)
  1. KeninTexas

Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing? I think it is just a tempest in a teacup. Who cares? Cherrios is just looking to cash in "by any means necessary." A bunch of PC BS to make a buck.

June 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

That is probably true. All press is good press. Clearly they were hoping to create a stir.

June 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Corey

How can one expect that this should cause a stir? It's crazy anyone even talks about this – we're 2013. UNBELIEVABLE.

June 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nathan

If this family had been a white male with either a black women or an asian women which seems more prevelent now than any other interracial union this wouldn't have made a blip. The taboo in this country is still the boogie man black man with a white women.

June 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkD

Taboo? That train has left the station. My prejudices, and we all have them, are about class. One can be educated, and still have none, but it does exist.

June 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. youknowwhatimean

I thought the commercial cute, just like the others. I didn't give one thought to the race of the family, because I saw a cute little chubby faced girl that wanted to protect her father's heart, so she poured Cheerios on it.

June 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amused

It amazes me how a tiny minority of internet trolls makes news. Apparently, the media has not picked up on the annoying trend of internet trolling. Race trolling is among the easiest because it elicits such visceral reactions. But trolls can be found on just about any comment section about a controversial subject. And that's just what they are: Trolls. This is not a case of a massive number of racists opposing interracial marriage. This is a tiny minority of trolls who very likely don't even care about the subject, but get a kick out of trolling people.

June 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Agreed! But its so much fun! It's safer than getting drunk and shooting your mouth off in an Irish Pub, where someone will hit you.

June 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

I disagree. i think more people think like these "trolls" however in a world of "political correctness, people keep their views to themselves. Do not confuse silence with acceptance to something. Let an issue happen in your city, you will see how people really feel. But hey, this is AMerica and eveyone can feel however way they want to feel.

June 3, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike Russell

I am a black man and my beautiful wife is white- our daughter... mixed of course, is the most beautiful human being created from our union. All of you bigots out there (republicans with the bible and guns), keep on living with your hate to your last day. I will love my white wife to my last day because she happens to be a fellow human being.

June 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeninTexas

June 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. David

By-racial... inter-racial... who's liberal...
    According to man's LAW... ya right! I'm suppose to have grown up by now...
    thousands of years of racism... can't we all just get along??? I've got news for you!
    You push it in my face and I'll always... that's 'ALWAYS'... I'll hate you for it!
    And if there ever was or is a SILENT MAJORITY (HUGE THAT IS) I am part of it!!!!

Ain't nothing new. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. Racism was, is
    and WILL be here forever... especially when you SHOVE it down the innocent throats telling
    them you HAVE TO LIVE according to a new lower set of rules that will and does demine your standards of life!
    Now Honey, ya little NUT, I'm going to eat my CHEERIOS. So there!

June 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • RC

Uhmm...did you say something?

June 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CosmicC

I find one thing offensive about the commercial: The mom is working in the kitchen while the dad is sleeping on the couch.

June 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wizzard

Remembering, of course, that this is not a real family, one must ask what the makers of the cereal and commercial were looking to achieve here as it really has no bearing to the product.

That said, its nice that the family dynamics portrayed can even be acceptably portrayed on TV – while its still sad to see there is a segment of society that today would still hate on the concept.

June 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I do not think that I understand what you are saying. What is there about this family that does not match this product? White people eat Cheerios. Black people eat Cheerios. What's the problem??

June 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. atlwmn

I think sometimes there's a fine line between representing society and pandering. It's hard to tell which is which, but at least it seems like it's coming from a good place in this example.

June 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marilyn

I thought it was a very cute commercial. Don't see what all the controversy is about!!

June 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. m.eaglecloud

With everything crazy going on this messed up world and this commercial has people running down the street with their arms in the air? Damn! I don't even like Cheerios, I'm a Cornpops kinda gal! People it's a commercial and a biracial family is nothing new!! Back in 1979 I seen the front cover of US News and World Report it said" LOOK WHO IS SITTING AT THE BACK OF THE BUS NOW. It was a white man,the irony of it that is now a reality.

June 3, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Alicia

Actually, you guessed wrong,

I look more like Heidi Klum than your momma. Maybe that is where the anger is coming from, did your 250lb, tattooed mama take off and leave you and daddy for someone that could make her actually feel like a real woman?

June 3, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. patact

Oh changed the name, now you make it plural. Folks, he is racist for sure, just switch his first name letter with the last name letter, see what you get. Report him for abuse.

June 3, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. bobaboohee

Derogatory comments from cowardly racists. Probably Christian GOP gun nuts too!

June 3, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • white republican licensed gun owner

It's a cereal ad. I eat Cheerios. Won't stop because of the ad. Wouldn't have bought Cheerios because of the the ad if I didn't.

June 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeninTexas

You said "Probably Christian GOP gun nuts too!" ,,,, This must be one of those really stupid comments that is gathering the attention.

June 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

What is sad is that bobaboohee has no idea how ignorant he is.

June 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. patact

Interesting name Nate.......switch the N from the first name and the H from the last name, now we see how you are and what your values are......idiot.

June 3, 2013 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tisha Long

It would be great to see a black woman with a different race male...I think that is something that is not relayed much on televison or commercial/advertising...blackmen-white women whippee! thats been around for years not shocking...but the fact that interrracial couple of white men and black women is on the rise should be advertised also!!

June 3, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Eve

Having someone to love is better than having no one to love at all, no matter what size or color they are. Equal opportunity love beats no love any day!

June 3, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Terryx

I agree. It seems Hollywood writers, TV folk,etc. can only think in terms of interracial meaning black man/white woman.I would bet that white man/Asian woman is much more common but how often does it appear on TV? A while back I scanned the various TV shows to find how common the black man/white woman theme was; I counted over two dozen shows. At the same time I think that Parenthood was about the only show to have a white man/black woman pair.Rather short shrift for the 30% or so of real life couples in that category.
      Oddly on a recent visit to Toronto, I saw interracial pairs of every variety, but the black/white couples I saw were ALL white men and black women. Maybe its a Canadian thing!l

June 3, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • darwin

back in the seventies there was a spin off show from the show All in the Family called The Jeffersons the show had a mixed race married c\ouple; a white man and a black women.

June 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • steve cameron

earlier than that! How about when Captain Kirk kissed Uhura? I think at one time or another all the guys chased her around trying to rip her clothes off.

June 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tam

The largest interracial is Asian and whites. And sorry black women with white men is not as common as black men with white women.

June 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

Tisha, you just don't see that many black women dating outside of their race (at least I don't). I think it is fairly rare. Clearly it does happen but not enough to spend ad dollars on. They are promoting a product, not an idea.

June 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tisha Long

How about stating that you don't see alot of men of different races dating black women...I don't think its the other way around...I feel that black women would date men of any race..now adays I do see it alot more than in the past. Black women seem to be the "forgotten" ones...they feel abandoned by the men of their own race and don't feel that any other race finds them attractive enough to date/marry...black women are doomed unless you look like Beyonce or Halle...JMO

June 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Theresa

@Tamara Wilson-Gilbert-Owens-Smith, why does the black father haveto be lazy? Maybe like my like my father he was enjoying a nap after hard week at work? The mother was enjoying quiet time at the table reading as my mother does every morning or afternoon. I have twins that are not just biracial but also have 2 mothers that's right a biracial gay couple with biracial kids and gues what I being an african american woman thought this was a great commercial and I hope you look further then your loving room when making comments.

June 3, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  18. eideard

I tire of saying overdue. The first mixed-race married couple I knew was in 1957 – but before that in school, especially with the advent of rock'n roll, mixed couple quite naturally made their appearance in white bread-America.

I walked away from life in white-only America before I was 20 and have never seen much reason to go back. I won't elaborate on the range of hypocrisy, backwardness, bigotry and ignorance that remains to be overcome. This brouhaha is just one more example of many.

June 3, 2013 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. Nel

Everyone is mixed with something get over can't believe this even made news.

June 3, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. patact

Why is everyone in such an uproar? Geeze, get into the 21st century folks. I guess these are still too many folks around from the old era influencing our generation with negativity – much ado about nothing. Move on.

June 3, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  21. Billy Ranger

The commercial was not offensive. What I do find offensive is that you're not allowed to have a differing opinion. If you don't like the commercial you are labeled racist. like one of the other writers wrote if you don't like it don't buy the product

June 3, 2013 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

If you are saying that if mommy, daddy and baby were all one race you'd like it, but because they are representing a mixed family (one of millions in the reall world we live in) then what are you?

June 3, 2013 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Tam

So true Mr. Steve. And Rh, no one cares about being "pure", people go by who they identiy with. Look at blacs, blacks still have the light skin v/s the dark skin issue even though they all call themselves black. Same with Latinos, etc.

June 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Well, I think the ad is a dud. Aside from the cute kid it has nothing going for it. It's full of post-racial stereotypes designed to appeal to "progressive-whateverthatis" liberals. These are the people who will shout you down if you try to speak "Group Think". Robots is what I call them. I am an old guy and from the inner city. I am white but I have lived in ghettos. I am not politically correct and am too old to learn. And I don't give a damn. I think what I think, and say what I say. I am an individual, not a robot.

June 3, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Danielle

Curious about what "post-racial stereotypes" this commercial is "full of." Please clarify.

June 3, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

Well, if you have read the news since Obama was elected there is this wonderful new thing called Post-racial America. You have to be a "Progressive" to really understand what this means. Unfortunately we are more divided than ever. Racism is in all of us, black and white, it's called xenophobia, and psychologists will tell you that it exists in every one. As we become educated, we suppress it so that in our every day conscious mind it is not a factor. But it still exists in our subconscious. If you don't believe that, you are not well educated and need to see a shrink. Advertising is intended to appeal to the sub conscious more than the conscious. If you can not see what is Post racial in this ad, I can't help you. I have a black friend John who is an old guy like myself and we sit around drinking beers and smoking cigars at the local pub (on the patio), and we listen to the young people around us talking, and we shake our heads.

June 3, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
      • rh

Steve – the people on this planet who are truly "black" "white" "Asian" etc. are not in the US. Chances are that if you look white and your people have been in the US for a while, you aren't pure white (as my "white" husband found out about his African heritage). And chances are that if you look black in the US, and have been here for a while, you aren't pure black either.
        I am European and Asian. My spouse is European and African. Our children are therefore European, Asian, and African. One looks dark, part Asian, one looks average white and the other looks lily white like paper, blue eyes for the last two (I have dark eyes). Would you recognize my pale white blond-haired blue eyed son as multiracial? Would you say he is "passing"? Once you dissect the construct of what people look like as any indication of their intelligence or potential as a human being, you won't believe it any more.
        That being said, I don't like the commercial either. No household with even one child would be that clean and quiet.

June 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

I am not exactly sure what point you are trying to make, but I am in agreement with your sentiments. I am Scots-Irish, and American Indian. I am on the dark side with a Mohawk nose but "pass" for white. My sister is Blond with blue eyes. My mother was from Alabama and was part Cherokee, but the family hushed it up and "passed". My father's father was from Canada and was Scots, French and Mohawk. I am an old guy and divorced. I will never have children. If I had with my first wife, they would have been part gypsy (Roma), one of the most despised minorities in Europe. They have been subjected to genocide time and again. I think they are quite attractive.

June 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • CosmicC

The only people who describe society today as "post-racial" are those who are either too deeply in denial about their own racism or are too insulated from non-whites to see the problems that still exist.
        Are the racists on the run? Yes, are they fighting against their own extinction, certainly.

June 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

To CosmicC. I am not sure where you are coming from. This is DC, "Chocolate Town" as the media call it. There is no way to be insulated from non-whites. My liberal friends are the ones that harp on "Post-racial America". Problems still exist, but they insist there is really no such thing as "race". Their minds are pure! Certainly- they have been brain washed. And just when I thought things were going to get better, our idiot Attorney General Holder condemns white people for not having the courage to talk about race. Oh sure. He knows damn well that any white that says even the tiniest negative thing about the black community will be immediately labeled a racist. All he did was prove that He is a black racist!

June 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

If you don't like the commercial because the couple is interracial then you are a racist. You can't change the meaning of racism because it may be acceptable in your circles. If you don't like the commercial because of its content or the product then that has nothing to do with racism. Too many people today are trying to redefine racism in both directions. Some things are considered racist that aren't and some are not considered racist that are. If race is your criteria for how you like the commercial that makes youa racist.

June 3, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Alicia

I have two beautiful, smart, and educated bi-racial children and we are a normal middle to upper class family that has worked very hard to raise children that respect everyone. Racism, ignorance, and hate of bi-racial or inter-racial relationships doesn’t only exist in the white community. I have experienced just as much hate from members of the black community. Hate and ignorance is not limited to certain cultures, races, or class levels. I wish it were, and then it would be easy to simply steer clear of the negative energy and hatefulness that these individuals put out and feed off of. Great commercial Cheerios!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. BillyD

I will admit that I remember thinking about the fact it was an interracial couple when I first saw it on TV. Honestly, I'm sure everyone did just because it isn't normally seen in commercials. I wasn't against it though. I just noticed it. Those of you claiming you didn't see race: Although I'm sickened by those spreading hate, I also roll my eyes at you. There are different races in the world. Going around saying, "I'm color blind," just seems like you're looking for a pat on the head. There's nothing wrong with recognizing that different races exist and have their own genetic differences. I'm not claiming one is superior to the other or that they shouldn't mix. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with seeing the color.

June 3, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Spm

BillyD -I honestly did not even notice. Only once I saw this article did I recall even having seen the commercial. However that being said I am white, my husband is black and we have 3 biracial children. That scene is what our household looks like.

so it did not stand out to me.

Kudos Cherrios!!!

June 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nathan

I think thats BS. I'm black and my wife is white and we've been married for 30 years and have grendkids and I notice that it was an interracial couple. To suggest that you didn't notice I find very hard to believe. Especially since it depited a black man with a whote women.

June 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Kim Malott

The bible says "The last will be first, and the first will be last". The bible doesn't lie!!!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyD

What does that parable even have to do with this?

June 3, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Wm.Russ Martin

The bible says a lot of things.

June 3, 2013 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Kim,

How does this relate?

June 3, 2013 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. Alicia

Crazy! Anti-white really? Is this really a concern of yours? Comical in a world where there are so many "real" problems to be concerned about!

June 3, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  26. Dina Perron / Montreal Canada

Never even noticed the anti-racial aspect to this ad. Let's get a life ! Aren't we passed that yet ?

June 3, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. Valorie Bratcher

If you are aware of your surroundings when you are out and about, you would realize that this is how it is now. I agree with John Yaya and say "Get over it!"

June 3, 2013 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  28. Howard

Seriously people some of you need to get a life. There are plenty of interacial families all over the country and believe it or not they eat cereal in the morning. I have often wondered why we dont see more interacial couples in commercials, they are part of society and commercials should reflect that

June 3, 2013 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. David M

Honestly, I didn't even notice it was an inter-racial couple until the media stirred up all this controversy. Brilliant marketing by General Mills. HONEY NUT CHEERIOS are my favorite.

June 3, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  30. Dina Perron / Montreal Canada

Never even noticed that it was an anti-racial ad until it was brought to my attention on the news this a.m.
    Let's get a life !

June 3, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. Pete

I don't think stirring a racial controversy is the right way to sell an old fashioned cereal.

June 3, 2013 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

It sure is a good way to stir up the bigots so they (foolishly) reveal themselves to the rest of the world. Honestly, that this inoffensive commercial can even be construed as "stirring up controversy" is indicative of some real issues in American society.

June 3, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  32. Razz Matazz

For those opposed, don't eat Cheerios! For those not opposed, eat Cheerios! There, problem solved, end of discussion.

June 3, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm G

I'll eat cheerios regardless as to whether I am opposed or not opposed to this commercial. I LIKE CHEERIOS. GET IT.

June 3, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. JhonDaAnalyst

Should Bill Clinton take a paternity test??? Even Strom Thurmond had to come clean......

June 3, 2013 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  34. Build Tolerance First Not Ignorance

CNN, I enjoy your media but this is an area that should just be left alone. This is not news but sales. When you open up the door through this non-issue, it stirs up ignorance. Let the ignorant be ignorant on their own. Think about it, this article can easily be about CNN stirring up "Racism". The saying, "He/She who is without Sin cast the first stone." CNN, there is no need to be a part of the ignorance! By the way, ignorance comes in all races. I'm a black man and have seen and heard just as much ignorance from my own people. The world will be perfect when there is no ignorance!

June 3, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest13126

I'll bet the black community would have a cow if it were a white man and a black woman with the mixed kid. Black men hate it when a sister takes a white guy.

June 3, 2013 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Eve

Love thy neighbor as thy self. How can you love God whom you have not seen and hate your neighbor? Love between a man a woman is a beautiful thing, no matter what the color. I have seen some of the most beautiful children come from Black and White, Hispanic and White, and Asian and White couples. We are all mixed that is why there are so many colors betwen black and white. If Adam and Eve were the first two people on the Earth then we are all distant cousins. Kudos to Cheerios for running the Ad. The more discussion, even if there is disapproval, the more opportunity for love to surpass hate. Because love will eventually prevail. Sometimes it is slow in coming but it is inevitable, as we see with our first multi-racial black President.

June 3, 2013 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Tam

SOrry but Black men degrade black women to uphold whites. This is a deep issue.

June 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Steve Cameron

Race never entered your mind, but you immediately thought of Oreos. Your subconscious is racist!

June 3, 2013 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. syzito

The ad is just a make believe world conceived by an ad agency that sold its product to Cheerio's.The ad agency was just being politically correct.It has nothing to do with the real world.

June 3, 2013 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Interesting insight. If multiracial children are not "real", then there are whole lot of ghosts walking and talking around my South Florida classroom.

June 3, 2013 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

You are so right! I am now retired but I worked in advertising for most of my life. It was unbelievable what clients and Art Directors wanted us to do for the sake of "Diversity". We often had to Photoshop in people of other races to satisfy them. These are rich dudes who never visited a ghetto in their lives. They eat high power lunches at expensive restaurants every day. They are totally out of touch with reality.

June 3, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  37. Conrad

Numbers 12:1-8.
    Enjoy your leprosy until you are ready for the 21st century.

June 3, 2013 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • D Hudson

yea, yea, and yea. good one.

June 3, 2013 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyD

I just read those verses to see what you're talking about. Nothing in there said that the judgement came upon the couple just because they were interracial. It said it was brought on them because they spoke against Abraham and called his speaking for God in question. This cherry picking and twisting of words really needs to stop with people like you.

June 3, 2013 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  38. D Hudson

goofy people are opposed. didn't Burlington Fabrics do something similar years ago? blending of races is inevitable- it's called Brownian Motion. molecules migrate, people migrate. live with it.

June 3, 2013 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  39. Beauty in Color

I for one am not a person that doesn't want to notice color. I think different races and colors are beautiful!

I feel sorry for the beautiful black ladies who's men are choosing another race over them. It's a real shame that you see the famous black male atheletes with a different race than with the beautuful black women that deserve them. I say races should stay together and produce children of the same race so we will always have beautiful diversity.

June 3, 2013 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

I have a slightly different take on it. Are these couples being selfish? If you are born white, you are considered "privileged". If you are of another race, you are "underprivileged". So if you have kids and the underprivileged genes predominate, your children are going to be underprivileged. Obama is known as the first "black" president, not the first "mixed race" president. Life is difficult enough. You are condemning your children to have to deal not only with normal peer pressure, but adding to that the pressure to identify with white culture or black culture. That's tough.
      As far as the ad goes, like all the "daring" or "controversial" ads go, its ridiculous. The black people in these ads always dress and talk like white people. Not in my neighborhood.

June 3, 2013 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
      • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Oh my, Steve. what Is "talking like White people?" If this is to imply that there are people other than Caucasians who can communicate the English language in a comprehensible manner, this is not exclusive to the White race. It moreso has to do with education and stellar examples or etiquette, wouldn't you agree?

Shame on you for the ignorant implication.

Initially, however, I was clicking Respond to agree with you that President Obama is more than our "first Black President" as he's oft tagged. I always choose to much more broadly refer to him, appropriately, as "America's first non-White President." Seeing his barrier-crashing as bigger than just the Black population's plight.

June 3, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

To HappiGeauxLukkeigh, You misunderstand me. It is hypocrisy for the Advertising world to portray blacks as successful if they speak educated school taught English. I am from the inner city of Brooklyn. I have a Brooklyn accent. I always tried to suppress it as I moved up in the business world because I thought it made me sound dumb. Being a city guy, I have worked with blacks most of my life. I know damn well that blacks can speak perfectly proper English when they want to. But most don't want to unless it's a business situation. They are proud of their culture and more comfortable with it. I guess my point was that in a normal home environment, they wouldn't talk that way. But hey, it's just an ad, it's not reality.

June 3, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
      • mixedchick

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha "selfish"?? You cannot be serious. I am half black and half white and it has been nothing but a blessing in my life. Did I get made fun of when I was a kid for being mixed? Of course. Then the bullies eventually moved on and made fun of kids who weren't mixed. Then they made fun of everyone who didn't dress the "right" way, etc. EVERYONE is going to have struggles in life. I can honestly say that being biracial has always been the absolute LEAST of my problems. If someone doesn't like me because I'm mixed, that's their problem. If anything, it gives me an advantage nowadays because I can relate to EVERYBODY.

Thanks for the laugh!!!!! I needed that.

June 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

The point is, the less struggles the better. You are fortunate. Is Tiger Woods your brother?

June 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rock Q

@Steve...I'm an older (which is relative by the way) black man. The term "under privileged" was probably conceived to be used for political purposes more than actually pointing out disparities. That being said, I believe you think the the disparity exists because being born other than white leaves one at a disadvantage. If that is true, it's only because whites are still the majority in the US and hold the power. But if you're as "educated" as you say you are, than you are aware that the particular dynamic is about to change in this country. Whites are reproducing less and hispanics are the fastest growing population.

History teaches that the minority will not forever rule the majority (South Africa) and revolution is inevitable in these cases. The minority NEVER wins! So, I guess you can take solace in the fact that you'll probably be dead and gone by the time it happens...but know whites will soon be the MINORITY in this country.

June 5, 2013 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Beauty
      There will always be diversity, but we should allow people to love who they want without conditions such as, you can only marry within your race. I am married to a black man and I am white. He has twin girls from a black mother and we have our children. All of our children are beautiful inside and out and they also know that they can and should marry because they truly love someone for the people that they are not for the color of their skin. I didn't steal my husband from all of the beautiful black women in this world. I simply fell in love with a man that I had a lot of things in common with, a man that is my best friend, a good and caring man. The color of his skin or mine is not even relavent to our relationship, love affair, marriage, parenting skills, or anything other part of who we are or why we fell in love. So, you are saying that we should have ignored our love because we have different colored skin? We are also part of the diversity that you claim to love? Diversity is difference and your comment is just as racist as the next.

June 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • MCM

Alicia -I could not agree more. People should love who they wish. My husband is black and I am white. I did not 'steal' him from anyone. We have been together for over 20 years now and have 3 heathy happy children. and we are all apart of the 'human race' 🙂

June 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Beauty in Color

"I simply fell in love with a man that I had a lot of things in common with, a man that is my best friend, a good and caring man"

So you're saying that not one white man had those qualities?

June 4, 2013 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • CAT WOMAN

I totally agree!

June 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jesus

You can make what you want with that Ad. It could be a wholesome interracial family or a black and white duo with the jobless husband sleeping on the couch. Some narrow minds may opine that the wife may be of mixed race as well or of Italian extraction (which would be the same thing). Hence, it can be viewed with acceptance from a person who is not prejudiced to a racist.

June 3, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  41. Hugo

Shocking even. Perhaps it is because Cheerios is perceived as a wholesome product. Biracial unions are morally wrong, contradict the god's will. In addition too many biracial unions occurr because the parents think they are "earning".

June 3, 2013 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
    • SarahCatheline0310

Hugo, are you being serious or just trying to be funny? Something tells me that you're serious. If that's the case, you're an idiot.

June 3, 2013 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

However you feel about it, it is here to stay. I live in DC near the National Zoo and every day I see interracial couples with their strollers on their way there. Usually black males with white women, next are the white males with Asian women, rarely, white men with black women. DC is a liberal Democrat city, its all about who you know and how liberal you are. I expect many of these couples are trying to prove they are liberal by marrying or dating a member of another race. Just like the lawyers and lobbyists have to have a supermodel "trophy wife". It's business. But DC is not America, it will take a bit longer in the Bible belt. My mother was from Alabama and had Cherokee blood. The family hushed it up and passed for white. Eat your damn Cheerrios!

June 3, 2013 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
      • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Ah Steve, such a sad commentary on that "trophy" reality.

June 3, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
      • Rock Q

@Steve,
        I'm a older (again relative)black man who was married to a white woman while living in MA. These types of marriages must really upset you. Are you really so naive as to believe these people marry to be politically correct?

June 5, 2013 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  42. Jenny sue

Who said anything bad about the commercial? People rectiong reacting against ...nothing.

June 3, 2013 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  43. vm

What a sweet ad. I do not see a racial thing here. With so many single kids or kids of mixed raced parents around us, I do not think anything out of normal here. I love cheerios, my kids love them & definitely Yes, I love this ad.

June 3, 2013 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

Single kid's are so much better than married kids...lol...proof-read before posting...Assume you meant single race....But these days almost everyone has been strained between the sheets genealogically, we're all pretty much Heinz 57 ....

June 3, 2013 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  44. Joan

I have seen plenty of ad with mixed raced couples. There is an IKEA ad with a black woman and a white man. I have seen countless asian wives with white male husbands on tv. Some tv shows even have interracial couples. Like in "Happy Endings" it was a black man and white woman. They never even brought up race as a issue on the show. They were just another couple like every other couple on the show. For some reason, if the wife is the minority race and the husband is white no one takes offense. If you switch it everyone goes crazy! I have yet to see an ad of a asian man with a black woman.

June 3, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
    • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Now THAT is an interesting insight! Indeed all this ranting does seem to stem from the combination of the mixed race. And or is it also the reality of the procreation of the union, as well?

June 3, 2013 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  45. Loathstheright

Normal people see this as normal.....nuff said.

June 3, 2013 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Who determines what's normal? A normal person in Texas ain't a normal person in New York City. Are you "Normal".

June 3, 2013 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  46. fj

oh give me a break. there's nothing racist about this commercial. now if mommy was eating her cheerios with watermelon, that would definitely be racist.

June 3, 2013 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jessy The Gnostic

Seriously? People died in Oklahoma. The IRS was caught red handed twice with biased audits and stupid spending. The politicians continue to lie to us as we pay their salary. Crazy folks are out to shoot little kids in schools. But instead of being angry about that, we somehow still have morons that are angry over an innocent Cheerios commercial simply because it featured a biracial couple? Come on. Talk about willful ignorance.

June 3, 2013 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

Jessy, You are absolutely correct. Anyone who is offended by this commercial needs some serious help.
      Cathy the Christian.

June 3, 2013 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  48. Unknown

America has never been an all white country, you know.
    Native Americans/American Indians/Indigenous peoples whatever term you calls us, we were here first.

Before white people committed genocide against us.
    Before white people forcibly assimilated us-or attempted to assimilate us.
    You might forget about us, but we're still here and we're still not not white.

White people are also the ones that forcibly brought over slaves...and now you guys (very few of you) complain about multiculturalism and mixed race families? Hah.

June 3, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Just a few comments on first nation people who I will henceforth refer to as "Indians". More Indians were killed by other Indians than by whites, and yes it was genocide, just look at the history of the Flatheads. The whites killed more Indians through disease than with bullets. The population of Indians in North and South America is now larger than it was when Columbus landed. I guess the genocide didn't work out too well. The whites did not try to "assimilate" Indians racially, they tried to turn them into Christian farmers. When that didn't work, they forced them onto reservations (Concentration Camps), and forgot about them, hoping they would drink themselves to death. It's hard to get rid of people.

June 3, 2013 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  49. maria

I don't know what the noise about it! look at the Celebrities they adopt kids from Africa ...is part of the status ! I see many women with black kids and is not the first time is a biracial kid waking around with one of the parents white our President is biracial mother white father black .....and so?

June 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Danielle

Why the hate?

June 2, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  51. dweaver

It is a sad world when such an innocent commercial can bring out such hate. I will eat my next bowl of Cheerios with a smile on my face knowing that the love we have in our hearts is so much greater than the hate in the judgemental.

June 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Underpants

I honestly don't know what I was expecting when I started watching the video, but it was so funny that I forgot it was causing an issue. I don't get why people need to see in black and white, or asian and hispanic, w/e. In the words of Dr. House: "I don’t care about color. As long as they can help me breed a superior race".

June 2, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jebus christo

plenty of room in this world for black only or brown only or yellow only or pink only or blue only but when a group of pale freaks wants to pull back from the multi-cultural experiment they are labeled devils....Does anyone else see something inherently wrong with this?.....Are the books I read wrong?...The literature I consume points to a lot of good coming from Caucasian people....Is black pride wrong?...Is brown pride wrong?...Is asian pride wrong?....But white pride is a manifestation of the devil?....God help us...

June 2, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Have at it

You had your chance. You screwed it up with that whole slavery thing.

June 3, 2013 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  53. MonkeyMama

I think it's adorable!

June 2, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Roddy

Kudos to Cheerios, but Joe's Os are still better (crunchier and less pricey).

June 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  55. JM

Sadly, too many people are still dumb and living in caves. They are ignorant and too busy looking for faults in others (that don't exist) while ignoring their own glaring issues.

June 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mogran

And of course you're not

June 2, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • JM

I often wonder if it's a right wing hobby to judge others.

June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • rp518dan

It's the essence of the right wing to judge others. The need to be superior to others to feel good about themselves is what makes them tick. They are not happy except when comparing themselves favorably to others...and they are amazing at cheating in how they keep score.

June 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

You ARE kidding, right? The democrats and liberals in general have made it their life-long job to condemn anybody else who doesn't agree with their political correctness.

June 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Most liberal comments judge and look down on others who disagree with them. They are just too arrogant to see it.

June 3, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Akwasi Achireko Kwagyan

I have never read a statement that is a hit right on on the of the nail. You must be a very smart man. Whatever you do adding formal teaching will be great for the world.

June 3, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  56. Maria O'Connor

Look at Halle Berry, probably some people felt pitty for her mother and her children, but Halle won an Oscar, she is a millonary and she is going to be mother for second time ! She also have a beautiful girl that is 75% white and 25% black, so she could care less about critics regarding miscegenation. Same thing, with President Obama, some people may felt pitty for the mother and for her "mulatto child", but he went to Harvard and became a president !

June 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

Halle said she wants her children to be called Black. But that is her choice.

June 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  57. katya cobham

I love the fact that families like mine are finally starting to be represented in the media. Kudos to Cheerios! America is a melting pot and if anybody in this day and age thinks that they are "pure" breed they need to think again! There will always be haters, but that's their problem, not mine.

June 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. All For Change

My goodness....it is 2013 people. Times have changed. We are all human. In fact, we all may be related. We should all love one another. No hatred.

June 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danw

It's always going to be out there. A lot of folks stare hard at my wife, daughter, and I. My wife is tan, daughter is very dark, and I'm very white lol. We get hated looks from both black and white people. We even get glared at by some mixed racial couples. Which makes both my wife and I confused, but we just ignore them after all this time, because we know we have something that all those hate slinging folks don't. It's simply true love.

June 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • KappaKidToo

Amen to that DanW. I couldn't have said it better: "It's simply true love."
        More people should experience it.

June 3, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Tisha Long

the biracial couples you probably get the stares from are the black men white women because he is probably thinking why is she with that white man and the lady is thinking why is she with the white man for? his money... Sad! There need to be more commercial that represent your family white man with black woman...which is not represented in media at all...except Scandal! LOL

June 3, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Alicia

Danw,
        I second that AMEN!! Sounds like you have a beautiful family and a marriage that exists for love!

June 3, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Eve

I sometimes stare at interracial couples, not out of hatred but out of admiration. I think they are so beautiful and the children have such exotic features which makes me admire them for their beauty not hate them. The most intriguing couples are the black women with fair skinned, blonde hair, blue eyed babies that they birthed, which only reminds me that we are all related. That from black emerges all colors and people. People who fear interracial couples, fear their offspring because they show how much we have in common. If God were to make the color test of love a key to going to Heaven, then there will only be a few people there and whole lot of folks in Hell!

June 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

You are absolutely right. I am an old hippie and all this love, love, love, is making me want some Mary Jane.
        To Eve, your name is quite appropriate. But I don't think the Bible makes love a test for Heaven (unless it's your love for God himself) I don't think you want to mix religion into the discussion. As soon as you say "God created Man in his own image", you open up a new can of worms. God = Male/Female, Old/Young, White/Other, etc. etc. The pope has announced that atheists can go to heaven. The Anglican Church says that no one has gone to Heaven (except for Mary), and will not go to Heaven until after judgement day.
        Oi vey!

June 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

All of change, well, isnt' there hate in families? YEs, it does NOT matter about being related, or being pure, or not. There is too much issues when it comes to this issue. Some blacks hate blacks but they love whites. Some hispanics hate hispanices but love whites. A test was done on little blacks children with different dolls. These kids were asked "what dolls looks the best", the black children picke the white dolls; the white children picked the white dolls. So you see, in the black community, there are still problems of self hate. Even with some blacks who interracial date, many of these blacks will make bigot comments about their own black people as if to justify why they are with whites. This is the black community is STILL dealing with today. This is why I say, this issue is BEYONd some commerical.

June 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Chris

I can tell clearly that you have no experience in life, not only are you not confronting what I said, you don't even have an understand of modern life. Your boring, overused talking points are RIGHT off what you see other say on the internet.

June 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Midgick

Here's the point. Kids are color and religeous blind. It's the parents that shapes either hatred or understanding. I saw a movie the other day called Love Actually. It's a British film. One of the sub plots has a white young boy in love with an African American girl. There are other sub stories going on that are multi racial. What I'm getting at is you are what you eat. you are what you preach and you are what you teach your children.
    In a certain time period( & I don't know the exact date), the World as we know it will be totally integrated. It's like birth, taxes and death. It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

June 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mogran

Maybe but it'll take hundred if not thousands of years...I'm not convinced

June 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

I was thinking today about all the people who used to have children by their slaves who they didn't acknowledge as their own children. Thank God we're far past that level of crap. Ignorance is ignorance.

Fortunately, kids today are growing up in a multicultural environment.

June 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tam

Well, that help created the light skin v/s dark skin issue in the black community. Some light skinned black think they are better than the dark skinned blacks. This is a deeper issue than some cereal ad.

June 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Squeezebox

The slaves must've been holier than their masters if their children were born by "immaculate conception" >;)

June 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

Oh really, you honest think children of today are colorblind? I think not.

June 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

Re-read what he wrote again. Children, without negative outside influence on racial stereotypes, do in fact behave as color blind. In tests designed to elicit a response indicating a skin color difference, children who were raised in color blind households did not give these responses. So by our individual nature, yes, kids are color blind. It is only when the influence of parents or larger groups are placed upon them that racial divisions come into play.

June 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

What in the world is a color blind household? Do you mean everyone suffers from color blindness and cannot distinguish between red and green? Do you mean they are raised in a mixed family and not allowed to go out side the house? I have never heard of such a study. Kids are extremely curious about everything. They will ask explicit, often embarrassing questions, like why is daddy so fat? Or why is mommy so white? By the third grade they will have a clear notion of who they are and how they fit into the scheme of things. They are born innocent, but that don't last long. They know how to lie and steal soon after they learn how to walk and talk. Get real!

June 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  61. John Yaya

Awesome! About time we started representing human beings as they actually are in the media instead of shilling to the those last few vestiges of a bygone era who find comfort and security in ignorance. Those dreadful few who cling to racism and self-imposed ignorance refusing to realize that those ideologies have no place in the world of tomorrow.

June 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

"Racism"and"Racist" two non existent words invented by Marxists of the 1920's as a derogotory term for whites who resisted marxist doctrines

June 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • thomas

Look around at the world instead of latching onto whatever the currently accepted liberal mindset happens to be.

June 4, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  62. angryblackman

The ad was fine. The fact that the dad was black and mom was white is not an issue for most americans. Its that small 30% group that cant stand to see a strong successful black man. Same people that cried foul when the cosby show told america that blacks could be successful, smart and professionals and have a family not ripped apart by drugs and poverty. The concept of a strong black man threatens the instinct of racist whites. It just shows that while they are fighting to end abortion and their own so called "purity" is disappearing we the people are finally becoming a real melting pot. The commercial was great and more need to be made that way.

June 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

This is controversial?

What year is this? 1920?

By the way, a black father who is part of the family. Isn't that what we need more of?

June 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  63. DM

Lots of comments at times and in places like these just go to show how far humans have NOT evolved from slime mold beginnings: we seem to continue some traits.

June 2, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  64. rose

Love this ad. I am so glad Cheerios is standing behind it and not pulling it due to some backwards thinking individuals.

June 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Amused

June 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck88888

Your post is 100% correct. Would not surprise me if General Mills "astro-turfed" some of the trolls just to generate publicity for this commerical.

June 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. KarmaBurning

It wasn't too many years ago that Verizon had a fairly long-running ad featuring a multi-racial family. The only obvious difference? The Verizon ad featured a white father and black mother. Kudos in my eyes to Cheerios for having the courage to flip things around. Unfortunately, it would seem that the problem really might be about black males specifically rather than a more general racial thing.

June 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Loathstheright

The regressive conservatives hate reality.

June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Yea... just like the southern baptists kicking out the Boy Scouts because they made a decision to include ALL young boys and not be judgmental or prejudice toward ALL GOD'S CHILDREN.

June 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck88888

You are confused, it is generally liberals who deny reality.

June 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Gwats

I'm always curious and exited to meet people of different races and backgrounds when I travel, and I see no problem marrying outside your race. I did it, after 22 years, we're still going strong. My son has friends from all races, and if he waits for a Filipino/Black Girl to marry, he could be in for a very long wait!

June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  69. France's love

god was color blind apparently...too but the human race isn't!

June 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Phaerisee

I have seen the commercial and it did not even register that it was a "mixed race" family to me until this article pointed it out. What I remembered from the commercial was that the little girl believed pouring Cheerios on her sleeping Dad would be good for her heart. The fact that we are even having this discussion shows that we live in a society of veiled racism. People can act moral and righteous on the outside, even be pastors and community leaders. But inside, over the dinner table are the jokes about African-Americans with the children. The appearance of Virtue will not get us into Heaven. Jesus talked about people like that when he says he "never knew them." Appearance of Virtue is not Virtue.

June 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gwats

What a gem of a commercial! I loved, hell, I'm living it....married 22 years to beautiful Filipina with a young son, now 20!

June 2, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • sybaris

What's 7th Fleet taste like?

June 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • sybaris

"we live in a society of veiled racism"

and anybody who doesn't think so has never experienced racism nor can they recognize the subtleties of it

June 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Wanda

I saw that commercial on tv and didn't realize that was an interracial couple. Maybe I should pay more attention, or maybe it doesn't matter.

June 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

It doesn't matter.

June 2, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

It doesn't matter to YOU.

June 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ginny Morris

As the aunt of two beautiful mixed race girls (and another on the way) I was thrilled to see someone who looks like my nieces portrayed as having parents of different races instead of falsely portrayed as either black or white.

June 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  73. ohsnap

I think it's sad when a commercial with a family of HUMAN BEINGS generates such hateful comments.

June 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jeff

This is a strange world. I had seen this commercial many times without ever even noticing it was a mixed race family.

June 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

See my comment to Wanda above. The human brain was evolved to pick-up on differences. You guys must live in a confusing and scary world if your brain in lacking in that ability. Do pit-bulls and poodles look the same to you too?

June 2, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jesse Pearson

Perhaps the differences were registered as not material enough to note? If I stare at 2 chairs I can see all the little difference between them. Or...since I have better things to do with my life than picking out irrelevant bits of data...I can just register them as "chairs" and move onto more important matters with my limited time on ear.

June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hypatia

Disgusting!

June 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Jessie, As an Army veteran I will say I'm glad Wanda, Jeff, and you were not in my Army unit. If we had all gone to war together my survival would depend on you guys being able to quickly recognize friend from foe, instead of having to stare at someone for 5 minutes to figure out what you were looking at.

June 2, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hypatia

What a shame you are not serving now, under a lack commanding officer.

June 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Do you mean under a BLACK commanding officer?

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but when I was in the Army I DID have black officers and non-commissioned officers that I served under. I did my duty and obeyed my orders as any good soldier would. And on my current job my boss is black. Having professional relationships with blacks has no bearing on my personal views. I am able to separate the two things quite well.

It was Booker T. Washington that said,
      “In all things social we can be as seperate as the fingers, yet one as the hand in all things essential to mutual progress.”

June 2, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Frau Schmidt

Cheerios is plain old disgusting. Tastes like sand and mud ( yeah I played with those when I was a kid). Not sure why people even buy that garbage!

June 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Im Not Racist BUT.....

Yet you have no problem making an offensive statement. Oh I see only your sensibilities are to be respected.

June 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  77. reader10

Media is there to MAKE news.Stirup the pot.

June 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • charles cecil

great commercial. It reflects what America really is today and that's great.

June 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Antronman

All these comments about race...why is everything in America about race? If you don't like Obama, people call you racist. If a non-white is killed by a white it is a racial crime. If a commercial with a cute kid airs on television, it's immediatly about trying to display an interracial family. Can't we just accept that it's an interracial family and an advertisement and get on with ours lives? Or instead of talking about race, talk about the cute kid?

June 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooklynjon

Indeed. The kid IS cute!!

June 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  79. jesse

racial mixing will someday make everyone look the same and be the same. there will be fewer very smart people and fewer very stupid people. genius talents will disappear in favor of above average in some cases. it is a devastating scenario and may take many generations to come to full fruition but will happen. not racist just truthful.

June 2, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • amy

Would love to see the science and reasoning that your "truth" is based upon. Your statement does not make sense to me at all. I don't find your statement racist, just offensive.

June 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Im Not Racist BUT.....

I dont think white people are that stupid, they would water down other races intelligence that much. I dont agree.

June 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Im Not Racist BUT.....

*wouldnt

June 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antronman

You my friend, are old fashioned. You have lamarkian ideals, with people's colors mixing together and features. Genetics are the complete opposite. Different characteristics are randomly inherited and have different probabilites of occuring. If your family has had a long line of interracial marriages, it does not mean your child will be albino because of all those colors. Albinism, for example is a rare mutant gene. The only thing determined during the selection of genes are expressed and carried traits. And even expression can be altered to some extent, by doing an athletic sport everyday, or sitting on a couch in front of a tele. And intelligence is purely determined by the environment a person is brought up in, and education.

June 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • loggie

It is racist and not truthful.

June 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • lewax00

As for the comment on intelligence, assuming it is primarily genetically determined, I've got some bad new for you – there's a strong correlation between intelligence and number of children, and unfortunately it favors the less intelligent. If anything, the human race is likely to become less intelligent over time.

June 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldandtired

If after the Civil War the government had gave people who intermerry some land, cash, mules etc. and had really pushed it think what a wonderful country we'd have by now! Everyone a nice tan, and no racial problems at all.

June 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  80. brian

Cheerios is one of the highest salt foods you can find. Maybe they are trying to confuse people by throwing race into the picture.

June 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Christy Yamaguci

Why is it that she is a Caucasian but he's an African-American. According to that identification logic he should be a African-Caucasian. What makes him an "American" ? That's not a race.

June 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Interesting

neither is latino, hispanic or asian american but those terms are all used

June 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  82. JC

1. I have watched the ad before, but I didn't see a mixing of the races. Instead I just saw a family in a Cheerios ad. I guess I am becoming color blind.

2. I don't recall anywhere near this kind of a reaction in previous ads made by other companies where they had a White husband and an Asian wife. I am puzzled by this. Would there be a similar reaction if it was a White husband with a black wife? Or how about a mix which is non-white for instance, Asian and Hispanic?

3. I wasn't going to go out and buy Cheerios before, but now I am to show my support for this ad.

June 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I'm going to pick up a box, too.

June 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Better pick up more toilet paper too while you're at it, Cheerios is very gassy stuff, you'll need it. Why buy a box of that junk just to prove you are not a racist? We're a nation of morons. You've let the marketing manipulators have their way. If you like the cereal, buy it; if you don't don't. Cheerios is nasty in my opinion. Leave race out of cereal please. It might burn well in the pellet stove though.

June 2, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Christy Yamaguci

Maybe Cheerios should make a commercial with a working class White guy married to a urban Black woman and see how that flies. If I were a Black woman I would find this ad very annoying.... What's the matter sleeping lazy man... can't find a woman of color good enough?

June 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Interesting

How come thats never said to asian women (what asian men not good enough?). The second group that marries out the most are hispanic women (what hispanic men arent good enough?)

June 2, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

I am white, my wife is black.... My son is mixed..... What is your point? Love is love, and the color of my wifes skin does not enter into the equation, it is all about WHO she is, not WHAT color her skin is..

June 3, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  84. Tamara Wilson-Gilbert-Owens-Smith

Totally obnoxious to Black women. What up?...the fat lazy Black dude can't find a nice Black woman to marry ? He needs a Lilly White liberal looking 1%er to be happy? No more Cheerios for my kids...no Black husband either. He left 9 months before Jamal was even born. BTW...I use now Cheerios to trap the mice...only they seem to like it.

June 2, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  85. James Williams

Thank-You. We're living in a world where it's increasingly the case that only one world-view is allowed.

June 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

It's interesting to me that whoever wrote this piece said

"The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise."

But I would bet serious money that this person refers to the President at a Black President, when in fact he is anything but. I have nothing against Obama, but, if I held up a piece of paper to President Obama, and that piece of paper was white on one half and black on the other half, and if I asked him what color it was, I don't think that he, or anyone else with a rational thought process would tell me that the color was Black. The response would be white and black, and that is exactly what Obama is. It's a matter of Political Expedience for him that he refers to himself as black. Even the Actor Samuel L. Jackson, who donated $1 million to Obama's re-election campaign, said in an interview that he wished that the Press and Obama would stop saying he is the Nation's first Black President, that he is actually the first mixed race President.

June 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Interesting

Asian women marry out to white males at a far higher rate than black men. Are they TOO sell outs?

June 2, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Robert

Some people yearn for the days of Ozzie and Harriot and the version of America that they represented at that time. That time is long gone.

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  88. John

Why in the world is it anyone's business whether or not some other family is racially mixed? IfI you don't want a racially mixed family don't have one, but other people's lives are none of your business. And if you don't like the commercial turn it off.

June 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Nate

I hate to tell you this (especially race conscious extremists), but eventually all people come and go. That is the nature of Earth's history.

June 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Bob

I dream of a time when everyone has the same skin color, exercises religious tolerance, speaks the same language and everyone cares about the welfare of all humans. Unfortunately, nationality, ethnicity and language divide many good people. The day will come if we don't kill each other before it has a chance to happen.

June 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

So Bob, you want a world where everyone speaks one language, is one color, and has the same world view. No differences at all. How utterly boring. Do you wear the same clothes everyday and eat the same thing for dinner every night too?

June 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • pepsee

James Willaims, too bad so many people are white, so many people are black, so many people are brow. and so many people are yeallow. How boring! Too bad each and every person is not of a single colour. Maybe you should paint yourself green to be not boring.

June 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bob

Why yes, yes I do. I also do the same thing over and over kind like groundhog day. You are correct, I guess I did misstate my view. I should have said we should all be cloned from the perfect person.

June 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • oldandtired

James, Everyone brothers & sisters. People getting along, and helpingeach other. No wars, it sure would be borring

June 2, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

Oldandtired, the world you guys describe is not now, never has been, and never will be reality. Humans are tribal by nature and war is as old as human history. You guys can hope for utopia all you want. It's never going to be that way.

June 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bob

James, Unfortunately you are probably right. But that doesn't mean that I cannot hope for a future where our children don't need to worry about hatred, war and famine. Taking the items I mentioned out of the equation only means that you see the person and not all the BS that doesn't matter. You know as well as me that having a particular skin color does not make me like those of a similar skin color. Being a particular religion does not make me like everyone of a particular religion. Diversity remains in the individual unless you are unable to think for yourself. That is why we can have these conversations.

June 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Some of us think the world is a more interesting place with differences, instead of one big brown boring blob of humanity.

June 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Bob, Of course you can HOPE for utopia. I just don't think it will ever happen. We're just a tribal, war mongering species. We always have been and we always will be.

Even if it were possible to achieve utopia, I still think I wouldn't want it. There are big consequences that would come with that that I don't want.

To your point about the nature of each race. Each race DOES have certain behavioral traits (just like dog breeds do) . Why are most people willing to accept differences in dog breeds but not in humans?

That's not to say that 100% of of every person in that race fits the mold, but most DO. Things are not defined by the exception to the rule. They're defined by the rule.

June 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Sonia

I, absolutely, loved this commercial! I love to see mixed race couples because it's representative of the wonderful world we live in now. Go Cheerios! 🙂

June 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Interesting

I wonder if it was a white man & asian woman, would the ad have been as controversial?? Or a white man & any non-white woman.

June 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  93. wmyers4u

I saw this ad one time and my first thought was something to the effect of, "Wow! Was that the first mixed race family commercial I've seen?"

I am not racist at all but I was slightly surprise by it. It's all part of living in a multicultural nation. If you don't like it move to a more wholesome place that resists change differences, like N. Korea or China. I am sure you will be happier there.

June 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  94. JGN

You can be quite sure that career commenters will be sure to make their isolationist ideas known about an ad like this, innocent as it is, given that I just saw one where these cretins were actually arguing about whether a dead storm chaser would be chasing storms in heaven or not! The truest thing about this article is that a cross section of comments taken from the internet is not at all the same as a true cross section of national or international thought, as the gene pool of commenters is overweighted by OCD sufferers, racists, and angry underemployed people.

June 2, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmie Russells

I don't see how people see this ad as "innocent". It was a very calculated and corporate decision to place a multiracial family in the commercial because General Mills obviously felt it would get them the kind of attention that it has.

Hardly "innocent" on General Mills' part.

June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Howard Fites

Being in advertising I can assure you this ad was not developed to create controversy. Companies like General Mills are not on the cutting edge, they are conservative in how they approach advertising. Getting these companies to break the most non controversial convention is extremely difficult. I've had clients that refuse the use of actors of any race except white and blonds only. My largest client, thankfully, is long passed that. General Mills' agency should be congratulated for helping bring a very old company onto the 21st century and recognizing just one variant of the typical American family.

June 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Do you have anything constructive to offer to the conversation, or just personal attacks on people that you disagree with?

June 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

You're right in that comment boards are like fly paper for disturbed people. Sometimes I like it that way, sometimes I don't. It's a great place to vent, and entertaining to hear the gamut of opinions. Why are there so many people that can't tolerate others' viewpoints? No one is forcing anyone else to change their views, why not live and let live? People treat the expression of ideas like it's a contest with the winner getting to be the dictator of the world. So what if somebody's a racist? Let them be, you be what you want to be. Everyone acts like a dang dictator like they are right and somebody else is wrong. You live your life and they'll live theirs. I like non-racists, I like racists too. There are some whites and non-whites I like, and some I don't like. I'm glad there are racists, I like hearing what they have to say, it's their right. And I like hearing the stories of people of color and mixed races. People need to be happy and let others be themselves. Lighten up. And yes, I am one of the angry and underemployed. Sometimes I say outrageous things that people don't like and it feels good to say it. The politically correct, multiculturalists are the most intolerant of all if you don't agree with them.

June 2, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  95. snowboarder

funny, when i saw the commercial i didn't even notice.

June 2, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  96. musings

You know what they say in show business – There's no such thing as bad publicity. It's publicity.

June 2, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  97. MLM

I've seen this commercial a couple of times and never thought about the race of the actors till now. All I saw was a cute little girl. Only in America will we make it about the color of their skin.

June 2, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • What!!! What!!!! What!!!!!!

I can only agree with you. There is nothing wrong with this commercial. Makes me want to go buy a box of Cheerios.

June 2, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Marti

What is the big deal? There is an ad for cream cheese now airing with an interracial couple having breakfast in bed, also one for laundry detergent with an implied gay, single father washing his daughters clothes. The advertising world is just recognizing that the modern family comes in all shapes, colors and sizes. The only ones who will get offended are the ones who sit in their tighty whities in their mothers basement spewing their idiotic venom into their foodstained laptops, just like they have been doing since a biracial man was elected president. Get over yourselves, no one cares anymore.

June 2, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Marti

I'm a little disappointed in the censoring tactics. A comment right below mine was removed, I would someone complained about it. While I didn't agree with that poster's comments, he did nothing but state his objection to the ad and his reasons. I thought this was a great topic for discussion and it seems infantile to have a comment removed simply because you don't agree.

June 2, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

I'm one of those people offended by the advertisement. Why? Not because I hate, but because I'm white, I happen to like it that way, and I hope my family will to continue_being white for generations to come. What's wrong with that?

We're constantly bombarded with subliminal (and sometimes blatantly obvious) messages in advertisements, movies, and television shows that push an agenda of race-mixing and I think it's no accident. Quite the opposite actually–I think it's very purposeful indeed!

There's a lot of options between hating someone and wanting that person to marry your sister.

June 2, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
      • JGN

Ha! James Williams comment that his family is white and he 'hopes it will continue to be white for generations to come' is pretty hysterical. I would love to be a fly on the wall when his kids bring home their dates. Which will he choose? The white guy who will grow up to be the unibomber or the Asian guy who will run his own green company or the afro american guy who will write intelligent, hilarious shows for TV?

June 2, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • jazz648

Well said.

June 2, 2013 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • James Williams

Thank You. I think you were referring to my comment. We should be able to have respectful disagreements on issues. Shame on CNN for censoring me.

June 2, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  99. James Williams

We're constantly bombarded with subliminal (and sometimes blatantly obvious) messages in advertisements, movies, and television_shows that push an agenda of race-mixing and I think it's no accident. Quite the opposite actually–I think it's very purposeful indeed!

June 2, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • beisbolfan

Thank you for your courage and honesty. I feel exactly the same way and said so on my post. Usually my posts are removed by the censors on CNN, but somehow this one is still up, after almost 2 hours. I support free speech and I don't care how many people scream that I am a "racist"
      Like you, I don't apologize for being white.

June 2, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

Thank-You beisbolfan. We're living in a world where it's increasingly the case that only one world-view is allowed.

June 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

It's fine if you're family values are to marry within your race. You see many commercials every day that reflect traditional Caucasian families. Having commercials that show something other than a traditional Caucasian family is not an attack on yours, but an acknowledgement that other families exist and are not much different than yours.

June 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • James Williams

Chris, I understand that mixed-race families exist. My objection is that in advertisements, movies, and television shows, these relationships are over represented in relation to their percentage in the general population.

June 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Suzanne Rice

Here in Georgia, there are many families with one white and one black parent. I am a teacher, and a large percentage of my non-white students don't identify as one race, but are biracial. At least here in Georgia, this is a non-issue. You might think, given the South's race-relations and slavery history, that this would be more of an issue and something that isn't done much, but there are many inter-racial families here. Nobody bats an eye when an inter-racial family is out in public, for example.

June 2, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • musings

I'm thinking that with the demographics of the South, the whole Jim Crow thing was always about keeping things unnatural. Racism is not natural, no matter what its apologists say. The minute you remove the restrictions, people begin behaving like people.

June 2, 2013 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |