May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,491 Responses)
  1. Mart

"Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America."
    As the comment sections are anonymous it is probable the most reliable source on race in America

June 8, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Except that racists tend to flood to articles about racial issues, driven there by the forums they frequent.

June 10, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Jones

The only problem with internet boards is that angry people are way overrepresented. Probably because their friends and family have stopped listening to them because of the negativity. The friendly vice that would be heard in general society can sometimes get lost in the bickering and the boasts of high I.Q.'s

June 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Roger

Youtube is ferocious. There are probably 100 or maybe even 100,000 [often men] sitting by their computers each day with no aims or goals in life but to attack with the most abusive vicious racial diatribe. I no longer go to youtube – its the angry frustrated jobless hopeless bitter disturbed heartless mans lair and attracts such people to it like flies; those who would never even attempt to use such vile words if face to face with the object of their derision.

June 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. WASP

that ad was soo cute. i'm german/native american. my son is half dominican; his mother is dark pigmented dominican. so what's the problem?
    here's a fact: color/race was created by humans, pigment was created by nature.

June 7, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • LunaBaby

AMEN WASP!

"color/race was created by humans, pigment was created by nature"

June 10, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Jane Eliot, the American teacher who created the brown eye/ blue eye experiment to teach young children about racism in the wake of the assassination of MLK Jr, said this:

"God created one race–the human race. People created racism."

June 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • steven cameron

Actually, there is one species. Race was invented as a way to classify human beings depending on their genetic variations. If we decided that race did not exist, as some of my liberal friends insist, the medical profession would just have to come up with a different term. It is vital for doctors to know your racial make up in order to diagnose disorders like Sickle Cell, Lupus, Rickets, etc., for Africans and Heart Disease and Cancer for Europeans. So like the word or not, some form of classification is necessary.

June 10, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Katherine

Lisa
        This is precisely why I refuse to answer any question about race. Even on the Census I check mark "other" and then put in Irish or, more precisely, HUMAN. Why not? I am not a big fan of contrived statistical information on so-called "race" and if I cannot skip the question I put my own spin on it.

June 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 11B30_Inf

I am part Irish and Native American (Choctaw) My wife is Korean and both my Sons are half Korean... I see nothing wrong with this ad but you will always find people who are still against mixing blood.... Sorry they feel that way....

Racism Knows No Color.....

June 7, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Stephanie

I think the commercial is great and portrays a more accurate picture of todays family makeups. It's about time. And for all you haters out there, suck it up, grow up and get over yourselves.

Thanks Cheerios!

June 7, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Walter Freeman

If the cereal will give me a warm heart like this commercial, I just may have to start_eating Cheerios.

June 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

Then make sure you get Honey Nut Cheerios, cause regular Cheerios is awful (sorry, but it's true). I grabbed a box of the non-honeyed kind by accident, wasn't paying attention. Next day, started in on the box, and it was just a mouthful of bleh. I'm sure it's still just as healthy, and perhaps I just have too much of a sweet tooth, but just no flavor at all.

June 7, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Shawn

I don't understand the rocket science here. The uproar is that the mother is a white woman and the father is a black man. The cultural mindset is that virtuous white woman must be protected from the black male beast. Had the mother been black and the father white, this would be a non-issue.

June 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • hisvoicesuperb

Neo-Nazi's and other white separatist does not like seeing white men and women involved with anyone other than their own kind. They feel that their race is in danger of becoming extinct and that race mixing is the culprit. Only someone with a pea brain feels this way. Some White Separatist overlook white males with hispanic or asian females because their skin color is closer to their own. However, the acception does not extend to African Americans who may be born with skin whiter than theirs, blue or green eyes or blonde hair. To them one drop of black blood is a sin to the world. The strangest thing is that they don't know just how closely related to African Americans that they are ( because of Slavery)... denial is a sad thing.

June 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trevor

I dont think it matters so much which one is black and which is white. The ignorant will find a way to be offended regardless.
      How could anyone look at that beautiful baby girl and not forget all of their unfounded opinions?

June 7, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. cassiecolby

As a mixed-girl myself, I think this commercial is long overdue. I constantly encounter racism while attending school in Northern Florida and even receive mean looks while walking around the small town with my parents. Until people understand that color has nothing to do with someones character, people will continue to judge and make hateful comments towards something they don't understand. It saddens me to see racist comments about a simple cereal commercial. I commend Cheerios on acknowledging that the world is changing and people aren't just marrying or having relationships within their race.

June 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Glo

I wish they would do a commercial with Captain Kirk and the green woman. I wonder who that would offend? LOL!

June 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. michele

OK, what is wrong with me then? I have seen this commercial several times and never noticed that it was a "bad" commercial. I didn't notice the interracial part, just a mom and cute curly headed girl talking then dad with cherios all over. What did I miss? How could I miss this when it is so out there. Oh maybe I am one of the few that dont see race just people.

June 5, 2013 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Dani O'Neill

Michelle, like you, I hadn't actually noticed the mixed race thing- just thought "cute kid", "responsive Mum", and "sleepy Dad". Maybe I didn't notice, because my own daughter is mixed race (Anglo/Irish/Indian) and reads the cereal box too. I wonder how many people we have offended?!!!!! People need to move forward and stop obsessing with things that will not hurt them.

June 6, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hisvoicesuperb

It is just a cereal commercial folks. I am an African American woman who have been eating General Mills food since I was a small child. Getting rid of commercials like these does not take away from the fact that there are plenty of interracial families in this country and throughout the world. It is offensive to the children of these families as well as their parents. When others find them disgusting.
    They think that something is wrong with themselves because they are part African American. I think bi-racial kids and adults are highly beautiful.

Hopefully General Mills will not pull this commercial because of penny annie comments made by a bunch of hateful bigots who have nothing better to do. Think about this, if the wife in the commercial was a light complexed black female who resembled Halle Barry and the husband was a white man, no one would have a problem with it. If the couple was a white man with an Asian wife... it would not be a problem but Some white racist hate black people so much that they wait in the wings to stir up trouble for them. Look at how they stir up trouble for President Obama. People all around the world from all walks of life eat cheerios, do they think a few or a group of bigots will put a dent in General Mills wallet? Remember the bible speaks in Numbers 12 about how Moses sister in law and brother Aaron
    spoke against Moses Ethiopian wife. Aaron's wife was cursed by God for speaking out against Moses wife and she became leprous.
    What God has joined together let no man separate. Some people seem to have a problem with God's plans. Did it ever occur to these racist,
    "some who claim to be Christian" that Everyone has a purpose in life and that is a part of God's master plan...not the racist white man's masterplan to destroy anything that is not white. If you pay attention to the commercial there is no interaction between the married couple, only the mother was talking with her child about the health benefits of cheerios. The commercial that offends and makes some of these bigots vomit. However when their white ancestors were letting black women breast feed their white children, white men fathering children with black women... most bigots are a bunch of hypocrites that have nothing better to do but to start racial controversy. They hate the fact that
    President Obama's white mother was married to an African man from Kenya.

The truth is, the majority of people in this country have mixed bloodlines, some have not done the research to find out the true story about themselves and their heritage. I know some interracial couples that have been married for decades and they are happy. Again it is God's plan. I believe that God is the ultimate matchmaker and it is no one else's business who marries who or who dates who.

June 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pam

Racism is something we instill in our children and I can't begin to understand how people can poison their children's innocent minds and instill hatred in their little hearts...and we call ourselves loving parents!?

June 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. shawn011

Let's be realistic, most interracial couples are where the female dates a man with a (stereotypically) larger endowment.

Asian women date white men
    White women date black men

Dislike this comment as much as you want but do you really think it's incorrect?

June 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morton Goose

That's the most ridiculous-overgeneralized statement I've heard in a long time. What a bigot you are, Or perhaps you just entered the comment to get a reaction?

June 5, 2013 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Ronald Reagan

What method of data collection did you use to test this hypothesis?

June 5, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Dmitry

Lol, this is funny. The most hilarious thing I have heard all day, what are you 5?

June 6, 2013 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Bob

He's either 5 or 85.

June 6, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • cassiecolby

yeah your comment is very incorrect. what year are we living in? 2013...

June 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

What in the world are you talking about? Women date men they like, period. I did notice the commercial, because it reflects my own home and I don't see that often. Your statement is simply a poor reflection on you.

June 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabriel

LoL, that's pretty funny, and now that i think about it, i don't think i've ever seen a white woman date an Asian man, well except in the walking dead!

June 7, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Hi, you've now met one

June 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • WASP

@shawn: then please explain my wife? i'm european ancestory and she is african ancestory; care to wager on my "endowment" based off of your above comment?
      humans are not created equal, we are created special in our own right. 🙂

June 7, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Deanna

I think the commerial was funny. The little girl was so cute and adorable. Orphan Annie has nothing on her. Way to go Cherrios! Love it and look forward to more great commerials.

June 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

Since I'm going to the store, I think I will put "Cherrios" on my grocery list.

June 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Benita

America needs to calm down. Don't people realize that most commercials and advertisements feature mixed-raced children? Where do you think all those curly bouncy curls come from? What is the problem with showing where these kids come from and celebrating our diversity?

June 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pearl

I think the commercial is great. What I am interested to know is why we haven't heard a peep about other multi-racial couples on television, Modern Family, or couples who are gay raising families, The Fosters'. Am I just not in on the whole internet thing or have we accepted some types of couples but not others?

June 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Louis

Kudos for Cheerios and the other advertisers who are using multi-ethnic families in their ads! This is a much better and more accurate representation of what real families in America are like. Mom is ___ Dad is ___, all in love and making beautiful children.

I am not shocked that some people got upset here, shows that there are lots of bigots alive today, and amongst them many cowards who would spew hate online, but they wouldn't dare say in it person.

I am a white man (Jewish too) who married an amazing mixed woman of color (Chinese and Trinidadian), and our kids are stunningly good looking, and just as pleasant as any other kid on the block. I think this mixing pot will only continue to grow, and for those who can't handle it, just change the channel... and fade into obscurity with all of your racist friends.

Those who hate this are social dinosaurs, we'll only have to put up with you for a few more years

June 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MelissaD

It's marketing. Plain and simple. There is a growing target market of interracial families and companies need to reach out to that market. This commercial works!! It's getting our attention!! We are all talking about it, aren't we? Success for Cheerios!

June 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. RC

Another troll. Don"t feed it!

June 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. kvanderkin

I am a parent of a mix child and I think it is great that my child can see someone like her on TV.

June 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

I sure wish there was a THUMBS UP for your comments.

June 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Janet Davis

I'm surprised so many people are "in a lather" over this. It's a commercial depicting an American family (with an ADORABLE little girl) at the breakfast table.

If interracial marriages aren't your "thing" here's a thought: Change the channel when this or any other commercial that is similar come on.
    Easy. Simple. Manageable. And a whole lot nicer than heading off to the Internet blasting and posting your "opinion" (READ: hateful racial bias/slurs/threats).
    In my opinion it doesn't matter if the person you love is white, black, brown, tan, pink, yellow, ecru, red, orange, purple or green. What matters is that you love them, they love YOU & that you both treat 1 another with honesty & respect. Because besides that, does anything else really matter?
    I'd also like to point out that the little girl, besides being absolutely PRECIOUS, is 100% without fault of any kind here. Even those of you who oppose interracial unions must agree with me. How in the world could you toss around racial slurs when looking into the face of such an innocent creature? She didn't have anything to do with her parents getting together & I would put money on it that she could care less that mom is white & dad is black. I bet she wouldn't even think about it until some of the less than gracious people leaving "comments" (READ: hate filled diatribes) pointed it out to her. Children aren't born thinking such things, they don't come out of the womb hating anything, they don't have racial bias, gender bias, NONE OF IT. It's people that obviously DO have a race bias that they broadcast quite loudly I'll add, THEY are the 1's at fault. A mixed race child wouldn't think twice about his/her heritage, he/she certainly wouldn't think negatively of it, until something or someone makes them think they should.
    Behaviors are learned. Children don't automatically know these things. They learn them from parents, siblings, friends & teachers. They mimic what they see & hear so I think it's past time for a lot of you "so-called ADULTS" to start acting like it. You want to have a civilized conversation about interracial marriage? That's acceptable, just leave your preconceived ideas, hateful remarks & racial slurs at the door. And don't forget, children, this isn't their fight, (as if it actually IS ONE) so behave like the "adult" you claim to be & leave them out of this......

June 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JonfromLI

The father could be any American athlete, movie star, or singer. It's entirely believable. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

June 4, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Colorado

Exactly. He wouldn't be mistaken for a rocket scientist or a plumber...only an entertainer of some sort.

June 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • emskadittle

or he could own a business or just work for one, like anyone else.

June 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Nancy

I don't have an opinion regarding this ad other than white, black, purple, or green, as per the norm for most families, the mom is up, awake, and sharp, and the man is sacked out doing NOTHING.

June 4, 2013 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Most Dads that I know are home and doing a lot to help out. In many cases they do they do a majority of the work around the home. I think your idea of the "norm" is just wrong.

June 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Squiggly

If u listen to the commercial, the kid asks if cheerios is good for daddy's heart...she pours the cheerios on his heart...cant do that standing up!

June 5, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. Pat

One of the insurance companies (State Farm?) also has a commercial with a mixed-race family but this couple is Asian and black. I wonder why there isn't the same kind of outrage here? Personally, I'm glad to see reality reflected on TV and will be happier still when all the people aren't beautiful and thin.

June 4, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Anne 112

Probably because neither is white so the white racists don't care. Niothing gets white supremacists in a lather like a white bloodline being sullied by a person of color.

June 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sistercounselor

Very powerful, DEEP and insightful comment. I concur.

June 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. millscp

I don't understand this world. We have homeless people all over the US, children that go hungry in the US, people without jobs, really mentally sick people lashing out everywhere, terrorism both here and abroad, and people are getting upset about a bi-racial family commercial? Red blood runs in all of our veins regardless of the color of our skin. Get over yourself people!

June 4, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  24. inthemiddle

I saw this add many times and didn't even notice it was a multi-racial family until the news pointed it out. Did that many people really have a problem with it or is this just a bunch of news hype? I wish people could understand that you are only giving the racists a forum to spread their hate by hyping this up.

June 4, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  25. Donald

So we determined that this add made a real stir because people left some nasty comments on huffington post? Thats a solid argument. Or perhaps the media is trying to make an other race related article again... I wonder

June 4, 2013 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven Cameron

Yes, of course the media is trying to inflame the controversy. They thrive on controversy. That's why tabloids are so popular. People want to know what's wrong with the world. Then they can respond in comments like this and say what they think is right. We wouldn't even know that we hated each other if it wasn't for the media.

June 4, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

The white supremacist posts weren't made on Huffington Post, they were made on YouTube where the ad appeared.

June 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. crabman1

race color planet what ever should never matter-if your happy thats all that should matter - unfortunate that people still think color should divide -- we all bleed red and breath =

June 4, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  27. VVVVV

The world is a big place with people with different opinions on everything. If the news wants to make this an issue it can. But it's only news because the news decided it was news.

June 4, 2013 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • millscp

Very well said!

June 4, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  28. SDRich

This poitical correctness has gone too far. Tonight I saw an ad where a red M&M left a party arm-in-arm with a red-headed, white model. That can only lead to one thing: pink M&M's!!!! .And we all know that real men don't eat pink M&M's. I think a boycott is in order.

June 4, 2013 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Sally

I beg to differ. REAL men can eat and wear anything they choose. They are comfortable with who they are.

June 4, 2013 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Jiminy

Oh sure you say that!
        You probably thing that disgusting Kermit/Miss Piggy relationship is acceptable! 🙂

June 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. DON

As long as mortal humans live on this planet, so will racism and bigotry exist. Mankind looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. All are guilty of some degree of racism or bigotry.

June 3, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

Racism is NOT inevitable, and can be overcome. I'm tired of the religious mantras of "These problems will always be with us", which totally absolve believers of any responsibility to work towards bettering society. There is no god, or at least there is no credible evidence of one. So let's make the world better ourselves, instead of waiting for Sky-Daddy to fix it or to end it.

June 4, 2013 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Steven Cameron

Let's start by making our country a better place, or our state, or our city. Let's start with common civility. Let's start with picking up the trash on the sidewalks. Let's start by acting like responsible citizens instead of animals.

June 4, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
      • spud

I see you are doing your part by insulting anyone who does believe in God. Keep up the good work.

June 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ohmygod50

Why is this even an issue? Beautiful child. Beautiful parents. DUH. DUH. DUH. People who object to this as deserve to get seriously ill. Quickly. Rid society of these mental trolls. Please. Now.

June 4, 2013 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  30. History

When will we stop scratching the surface and accept and deal with the facts about us all. http://wordbuzzing.blogspot.com/2012/11/history-in-real-time.html

June 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Karen

My plan is that we all buy Cheerios this week and donate them to a food pantry. We need to fight back against prejudice and narrow minded people. We can show that there are far more people in America with open hearts and minds.

June 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jon

Why did I even read this? Maybe it is a generational gap...If I wanted to watch a cereal commercial I would have wasted money on cable. Good play for cheerios. Now they have a general commercial and everyone saying "cheerios" because they want us to believe we've never seen a mixed couple

June 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. open minded

They should have featured a white and asian interracial family. And no racist comments would have been made.

June 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. holam

it was a cute commerical and I hate for the little girl that so much drama is surrounding it. Baby, you were great and I hope you are in many more commericals. Good luck.

June 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Ken

I saw the commercial and the first thing that struck me was that adorable child. Being in an interracial marriage myself , I know that there are plenty people who don t like it. In fact, I would say that gay marriage is more acceptable in this country than interracial marriage.

June 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • rh

Let alone atheists who marry and raise their children atheist. We are mixed race and atheist, but lookly mostly white so therefore look Christian. Passing all the time....

June 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ronald Reagan

Appearance/Perception is everything

June 5, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  36. abbydelabbey

We live in a very diverse society, a multi-racial society. Some folks need to shed their prejudices and get a grip on reality. Shameful that this is even a "controversy." We are ALL God's children.

June 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

I wish I could give you a "Thumbs UP". When I was a little girl, we sang a song in Sunday School about how "Jesus loves all the little children" and how "all are precious in his sight" – then you have the religious right people who go to church, sing about Jesus and can't seem to get racism out of their hearts

I hate hypocrites. That is why I no longer attend church.

June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ronald Reagan

People find what they look for. It sounds to me like you've looked for hypocrites and racism in church and have therefore found that. I bet if you were looking for a message of peace, love, and brotherhood you would find that in church too. I'm not even a Christian, but I see a HUGE generalization made here about millions of people that is based likely on only a few examples.

June 5, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jennifer J

Much ado about nothing, as many of you have stated. Not sure where this commercial has been airing, but in southern California where I live, I've been seeing commercials featuring racially mixed families. Its nothing new here. I don't get what the "stir" is.

June 3, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Joe

honestly if you find any thing racist about this commercial then you yourself are racist. I don't care if you are black, white, asian whatever. There was nothing racist about this commercial. If you are that bothered by seeing an interracial couple on TV then that is your own personal problem that you need to address yourself. All I got from this was a commercial about Cheerios. Nothing more nothing less. This uproar just shows that racism is still alive and well in this country.

June 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Well Joe, I don't think that anyone has said that the commercial itself is racist. I think you mean that some people have a racist reaction to it but you do not.

June 3, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe

the fact that this is even being discussed is stupid to me. People in this country are just too caught up on race. I mean I get it this country has a very racist history one of the worst in the world. But at the same time it annoys the hell out of me that in this day and age something as simple as this gets tagged as news worthy. I mean our president is freaking biracial so why are people shocked at seeing a mixed couple on TV?

June 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck wagon

That was pretty clear and couldn't have said it better. We people, are actually the most intelligent animal of all the animals. Isn't that ironic? I'd like to know how much destruction all the other animals have contributed to the problems people face around the world.

June 4, 2013 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • kitty

Agree with you

June 4, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  39. Mamaw of 7

This is a very sweet commercial, Mom and Dad and daughter together. This has people making rude and hateful comments, yet they don't have a problem with gays in commercial;s or on primetime TV shows!!? There is something terribly wrong with this world...

June 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Uh Oh, you opened up a whole new session for anger management. Now that Gay Marriage is the de facto law of the land for all intents and purposes, The commercial could have the kid say "Dad 1, Dad 2 says that Cheerios are good for your heart...

June 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

And why would there be anything wrong with Dad 1 and Dad 2? Or with a mixed-race Mom 1 and Mom 2? Or with a straight white Mom and Dad and kid? Or a straight black Dad only? Why are people so hung up on this crap?

June 4, 2013 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
      • Dh

Because unfortunately some people want to go back to 1960 when certain people thought they were superior over other people. Thank god they are in the minority.

June 4, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  40. Amanda

Jesus Christ people! Why is there so much hate about a mixed family?

The commercial was adorable – this little girl just wants her father to be "heart-healthy." I don't see what a mixed-race couple has to do with politics, or racism, or hate. It's just a cereal commercial...

June 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

OK, I've had enough. It's not about the commercial anymore, it has degenerated into left versus right rhetoric. Angry minds are not rational minds, so there is no point. As far as the commercial goes... as Jackie Robinson and Mohammed Ali said, "Eat your Wheaties!"

June 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Amanda

I think it's degenerated to a level even lower then that. In my opinion, this whole discussion is what happens when people can't handle the idea of the media portraying anything but "pure" race families.

June 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Yes and not a very good commercial either. No self respecting progressive vegan sandal wearing millennial Whole Foods shopper would allow that processed sugar product in their bicycle basket. All the kid wants is a McDonald's Happy Meal.

June 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. George

Well, yes, you are indeed that.

June 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. George

I will be switching to Cheerios now.

June 3, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Squeezebox

The commercial shows an endangered species – the nuclear family. A mother, daughter, and father living together under the same roof is becoming more and more rare each day. Sad.

June 3, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bill

Cheerios jumping on the interracial bandwagon. Once Hollywood starts the trend – no matter how rediculous – there are always idiots who follow suit.

June 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • freeme10

Interesting spelling of ridiculous, but anyway.

June 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK72

What "trend"? Interracial couples have been around a long time, producing interracial children. So what? They are just people.

June 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sly

Nazi's believe in White Superiority, and they get very upset seeing Cold Cereal ads.

See – most skinhead/TeaBag types dropped out of school in the 7th grade, and have been subjected to insults about their lack of intelligence since then. This makes them very angry and violent, so they try to find a social or religious or racial group that they can insult, which makes them feel better about everyone else pointing out how ignornant they are.

June 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkD

Your lame and insulting attempt to lump fiscal conservatives with self-professed racists is ignorant and offensive. I'm not a joiner, but I'm in favor of governments living witin their means, just as I do. Save the racist insult, I've been married to a woman of another race for over three decades now. Next time stick with "look at me, I'm cool." it's equally juvenile, but less offfnsive.

June 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Rebecca

I'm a college-educated white woman in love with a college-educated black man. If and when we decide to get married and have children, this commercial represents exactly what our family will look like. How does that affect anyone else? It doesn't. Kudos to Cheerios for making a lovely commercial and not backing down in the face of ignorance and hatred. You may have lost some customers, but you've gained some, too.

June 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timodeus

If you look at some of the comments under yours, you'll see that ignorance and hatred are not a monopoly of one side.

June 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Just because you are a moron doesn't mean Cheerios is right.

June 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

From where I come from, I see nothing wrong with this. Whats the issue again?

June 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

I agree Rebecca. I am also a white college-educated woman in a relationship with a college-educated black man. We just got engaged actually. When I saw the commercial, I said to him, “we may have a little girl that looks like that some day.” It is nice to see a major name brand like Cheerios featuring an interracial couple since it a fairly common thing today. Whether black and white, Asian and white, or whatever the color, you love who you love.

June 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

What does being college-educated have to do with it? Does it somehow legitimize your mixed-race relationship? Does that mean you regard less-educated mixed race couples as somehow inferior, or "accidental" and irresponsible? Seriously, think about it.

June 4, 2013 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  47. KAS

I don't watch commercials so never knew this existed.

June 3, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Tam

There is too much issues when it comes to this issue. Some blacks hate blacks but they love whites. Some hispanics hate hispanices but love whites. A test was done on little blacks children with different dolls. These kids were asked "what dolls looks the best", the black children picked the white dolls; the white children picked the white dolls. So you see, in the black community, there are still problems of self hate. Even with some blacks who interracial date, many of these blacks will make bigot comments about their own black people as if to justify why they are with whites. This is the black community is STILL dealing with today. This is why I say, this issue is BEYONd some commerical. I have heard blacks say someone is "too dark". I look at Model Alexis Wreck who is a beautiful woman but many blacks think she is ugly but think Halle Berry and Beyouce is pretty. WHy is that? This is where the race get stirs up in the black community. Sorry but some blacks date whites because they think that makes them "better" (until they get into trouble, then these blacks run back to the black community for support). I have heard many black men say "black women are this and that (as if white women are push over and submissive) and they do not want to deal with black women. It is rare for black women to do this towards black men. Again, this is a deeper issue than this cereal aid.

June 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie Williams

Great points. Unfortunately, you are absolutely right..

June 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onesimus

It's unfortunate how inaccurate your argument is. I've heard white people complain of being too pale and wanting a tan. No need to be one sided ...for every black person in an interracial relationship, there is a non black person in that same relationship. And I hope you aren't referring too that outdated doll study that was done before black dolls were even mass produced. White males have been marrying interracially since before they allowed other races to even look at white women. People just can't get over the fact that some people just follow their hearts. Tsk...

June 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Palmer

Wow…The old White Women are pushovers argument. Well, as a Black Man married to a White Woman, I have never felt the need to justify my relationship. She is whom I fell in love with. Plain and simple.
      Growing up, I dated women of all cultures and I never thought about what anyone would say. We give other people way to much power in our lives.

June 4, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  49. Bonny

I thought the barrier was broken after The Jefferson's featured a mixed race couple.

June 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

And some people though racism would end and blacks would be living better when President Obama became President? Did it happen? NO.

June 3, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

I am deeply troubled by these comments. I do not believe in labels but I have to say that as I read through these comments, the liberals seem to be making the most vicious, "my way or the highway" comments. I don't understand. My best friend is a Jewish liberal from New York City, but he is an old guy like me. We love each other like brothers, but fight like cats and dogs. So when did that end and all the hatred begin? Dialog is better than Argument (that is a liberal notion invented by Socrates). No one ever wins an Argument. Everyone goes home feeling the same way. A dialog is a conversation with the intention of solving a problem. It is the origin of the Dialectic. Our leaders are to blame. They are the traditional "Rabble-rousers". They are millionaires living in mansions with their hands out for our tax dollars. If you are "Progressive" in the 19th century definition of the word, (get rid of the crooked politicians), you would kick them all out and start with a new slate.

June 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Yakman2

Laughed....Funny!!!!! Good for General Mills....!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Common Sense

Got to love the drivel of Cultural Marxist.

June 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ksiner

Wonder how many of the people making racist comments vote Teapublican? They simply hate anyone that isn't a rich straight white christian male

June 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

The Democratic Party knows it has the black vote in its pocket so they always harp on how racist the Republicans are. I am an old guy and remember the 50s when the Southern Democrats were the racists and KKK members. Belonging to a political party does not automatically make you a racist. If you are a fair minded reasonable person, your label does not matter.

June 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

Teapublican? You are ignorant and a racist. The Tea Party stands for less government, lower taxes and more freedom. Not sure where you get racism out of that. It was the southern Democrats that tried to stop the civil rights movement that was started by Abe Lincoln and continued on by Republicans. It wasn't until the Democrats thought they would get more political power by enrolling large amounts of minorities in government assistance. This has only served to keep many minorities in the projects instead of pulling themselves out.

June 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mike Russell

I am a black man and my beautiful wife is white- our daughter... mixed of course, is the most beautiful human being created from our union. All of you bigots out there (republicans with the bible and guns), keep on living with your hate to your last day. I will love my white wife to my last day because she happens to be a fellow human being.

June 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  54. David

By-racial... inter-racial... who's liberal...
    According to man's LAW... ya right! I'm suppose to have grown up by now...
    thousands of years of racism... can't we all just get along??? I've got news for you!
    You push it in my face and I'll always... that's 'ALWAYS'... I'll hate you for it!
    And if there ever was or is a SILENT MAJORITY (HUGE THAT IS) I am part of it!!!!

Ain't nothing new. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. Racism was, is
    and WILL be here forever... especially when you SHOVE it down the innocent throats telling
    them you HAVE TO LIVE according to a new lower set of rules that will and does demine your standards of life!
    Now Honey, ya little NUT, I'm going to eat my CHEERIOS. So there!

June 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Alicia

Actually, you guessed wrong,

I look more like Heidi Klum than your momma. Maybe that is where the anger is coming from, did your 250lb, tattooed mama take off and leave you and daddy for someone that could make her actually feel like a real woman?

June 3, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  56. patact

Oh changed the name, now you make it plural. Folks, he is racist for sure, just switch his first name letter with the last name letter, see what you get. Report him for abuse.

June 3, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  57. bobaboohee

Derogatory comments from cowardly racists. Probably Christian GOP gun nuts too!

June 3, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • white republican licensed gun owner

It's a cereal ad. I eat Cheerios. Won't stop because of the ad. Wouldn't have bought Cheerios because of the the ad if I didn't.

June 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeninTexas

You said "Probably Christian GOP gun nuts too!" ,,,, This must be one of those really stupid comments that is gathering the attention.

June 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

What is sad is that bobaboohee has no idea how ignorant he is.

June 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. patact

Interesting name Nate.......switch the N from the first name and the H from the last name, now we see how you are and what your values are......idiot.

June 3, 2013 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  59. Tisha Long

It would be great to see a black woman with a different race male...I think that is something that is not relayed much on televison or commercial/advertising...blackmen-white women whippee! thats been around for years not shocking...but the fact that interrracial couple of white men and black women is on the rise should be advertised also!!

June 3, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Eve

Having someone to love is better than having no one to love at all, no matter what size or color they are. Equal opportunity love beats no love any day!

June 3, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Terryx

I agree. It seems Hollywood writers, TV folk,etc. can only think in terms of interracial meaning black man/white woman.I would bet that white man/Asian woman is much more common but how often does it appear on TV? A while back I scanned the various TV shows to find how common the black man/white woman theme was; I counted over two dozen shows. At the same time I think that Parenthood was about the only show to have a white man/black woman pair.Rather short shrift for the 30% or so of real life couples in that category.
      Oddly on a recent visit to Toronto, I saw interracial pairs of every variety, but the black/white couples I saw were ALL white men and black women. Maybe its a Canadian thing!l

June 3, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • darwin

back in the seventies there was a spin off show from the show All in the Family called The Jeffersons the show had a mixed race married c\ouple; a white man and a black women.

June 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • steve cameron

earlier than that! How about when Captain Kirk kissed Uhura? I think at one time or another all the guys chased her around trying to rip her clothes off.

June 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tam

The largest interracial is Asian and whites. And sorry black women with white men is not as common as black men with white women.

June 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

Tisha, you just don't see that many black women dating outside of their race (at least I don't). I think it is fairly rare. Clearly it does happen but not enough to spend ad dollars on. They are promoting a product, not an idea.

June 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tisha Long

How about stating that you don't see alot of men of different races dating black women...I don't think its the other way around...I feel that black women would date men of any race..now adays I do see it alot more than in the past. Black women seem to be the "forgotten" ones...they feel abandoned by the men of their own race and don't feel that any other race finds them attractive enough to date/marry...black women are doomed unless you look like Beyonce or Halle...JMO

June 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Theresa

@Tamara Wilson-Gilbert-Owens-Smith, why does the black father haveto be lazy? Maybe like my like my father he was enjoying a nap after hard week at work? The mother was enjoying quiet time at the table reading as my mother does every morning or afternoon. I have twins that are not just biracial but also have 2 mothers that's right a biracial gay couple with biracial kids and gues what I being an african american woman thought this was a great commercial and I hope you look further then your loving room when making comments.

June 3, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  61. eideard

I tire of saying overdue. The first mixed-race married couple I knew was in 1957 – but before that in school, especially with the advent of rock'n roll, mixed couple quite naturally made their appearance in white bread-America.

I walked away from life in white-only America before I was 20 and have never seen much reason to go back. I won't elaborate on the range of hypocrisy, backwardness, bigotry and ignorance that remains to be overcome. This brouhaha is just one more example of many.

June 3, 2013 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  62. Nel

Everyone is mixed with something get over can't believe this even made news.

June 3, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  63. patact

Why is everyone in such an uproar? Geeze, get into the 21st century folks. I guess these are still too many folks around from the old era influencing our generation with negativity – much ado about nothing. Move on.

June 3, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  64. Billy Ranger

The commercial was not offensive. What I do find offensive is that you're not allowed to have a differing opinion. If you don't like the commercial you are labeled racist. like one of the other writers wrote if you don't like it don't buy the product

June 3, 2013 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

If you are saying that if mommy, daddy and baby were all one race you'd like it, but because they are representing a mixed family (one of millions in the reall world we live in) then what are you?

June 3, 2013 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Tam

So true Mr. Steve. And Rh, no one cares about being "pure", people go by who they identiy with. Look at blacs, blacks still have the light skin v/s the dark skin issue even though they all call themselves black. Same with Latinos, etc.

June 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Well, I think the ad is a dud. Aside from the cute kid it has nothing going for it. It's full of post-racial stereotypes designed to appeal to "progressive-whateverthatis" liberals. These are the people who will shout you down if you try to speak "Group Think". Robots is what I call them. I am an old guy and from the inner city. I am white but I have lived in ghettos. I am not politically correct and am too old to learn. And I don't give a damn. I think what I think, and say what I say. I am an individual, not a robot.

June 3, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Danielle

Curious about what "post-racial stereotypes" this commercial is "full of." Please clarify.

June 3, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

Well, if you have read the news since Obama was elected there is this wonderful new thing called Post-racial America. You have to be a "Progressive" to really understand what this means. Unfortunately we are more divided than ever. Racism is in all of us, black and white, it's called xenophobia, and psychologists will tell you that it exists in every one. As we become educated, we suppress it so that in our every day conscious mind it is not a factor. But it still exists in our subconscious. If you don't believe that, you are not well educated and need to see a shrink. Advertising is intended to appeal to the sub conscious more than the conscious. If you can not see what is Post racial in this ad, I can't help you. I have a black friend John who is an old guy like myself and we sit around drinking beers and smoking cigars at the local pub (on the patio), and we listen to the young people around us talking, and we shake our heads.

June 3, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
      • rh

Steve – the people on this planet who are truly "black" "white" "Asian" etc. are not in the US. Chances are that if you look white and your people have been in the US for a while, you aren't pure white (as my "white" husband found out about his African heritage). And chances are that if you look black in the US, and have been here for a while, you aren't pure black either.
        I am European and Asian. My spouse is European and African. Our children are therefore European, Asian, and African. One looks dark, part Asian, one looks average white and the other looks lily white like paper, blue eyes for the last two (I have dark eyes). Would you recognize my pale white blond-haired blue eyed son as multiracial? Would you say he is "passing"? Once you dissect the construct of what people look like as any indication of their intelligence or potential as a human being, you won't believe it any more.
        That being said, I don't like the commercial either. No household with even one child would be that clean and quiet.

June 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

I am not exactly sure what point you are trying to make, but I am in agreement with your sentiments. I am Scots-Irish, and American Indian. I am on the dark side with a Mohawk nose but "pass" for white. My sister is Blond with blue eyes. My mother was from Alabama and was part Cherokee, but the family hushed it up and "passed". My father's father was from Canada and was Scots, French and Mohawk. I am an old guy and divorced. I will never have children. If I had with my first wife, they would have been part gypsy (Roma), one of the most despised minorities in Europe. They have been subjected to genocide time and again. I think they are quite attractive.

June 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • CosmicC

The only people who describe society today as "post-racial" are those who are either too deeply in denial about their own racism or are too insulated from non-whites to see the problems that still exist.
        Are the racists on the run? Yes, are they fighting against their own extinction, certainly.

June 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

To CosmicC. I am not sure where you are coming from. This is DC, "Chocolate Town" as the media call it. There is no way to be insulated from non-whites. My liberal friends are the ones that harp on "Post-racial America". Problems still exist, but they insist there is really no such thing as "race". Their minds are pure! Certainly- they have been brain washed. And just when I thought things were going to get better, our idiot Attorney General Holder condemns white people for not having the courage to talk about race. Oh sure. He knows damn well that any white that says even the tiniest negative thing about the black community will be immediately labeled a racist. All he did was prove that He is a black racist!

June 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

If you don't like the commercial because the couple is interracial then you are a racist. You can't change the meaning of racism because it may be acceptable in your circles. If you don't like the commercial because of its content or the product then that has nothing to do with racism. Too many people today are trying to redefine racism in both directions. Some things are considered racist that aren't and some are not considered racist that are. If race is your criteria for how you like the commercial that makes youa racist.

June 3, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Alicia

I have two beautiful, smart, and educated bi-racial children and we are a normal middle to upper class family that has worked very hard to raise children that respect everyone. Racism, ignorance, and hate of bi-racial or inter-racial relationships doesn’t only exist in the white community. I have experienced just as much hate from members of the black community. Hate and ignorance is not limited to certain cultures, races, or class levels. I wish it were, and then it would be easy to simply steer clear of the negative energy and hatefulness that these individuals put out and feed off of. Great commercial Cheerios!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  66. BillyD

I will admit that I remember thinking about the fact it was an interracial couple when I first saw it on TV. Honestly, I'm sure everyone did just because it isn't normally seen in commercials. I wasn't against it though. I just noticed it. Those of you claiming you didn't see race: Although I'm sickened by those spreading hate, I also roll my eyes at you. There are different races in the world. Going around saying, "I'm color blind," just seems like you're looking for a pat on the head. There's nothing wrong with recognizing that different races exist and have their own genetic differences. I'm not claiming one is superior to the other or that they shouldn't mix. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with seeing the color.

June 3, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Spm

BillyD -I honestly did not even notice. Only once I saw this article did I recall even having seen the commercial. However that being said I am white, my husband is black and we have 3 biracial children. That scene is what our household looks like.

so it did not stand out to me.

Kudos Cherrios!!!

June 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nathan

I think thats BS. I'm black and my wife is white and we've been married for 30 years and have grendkids and I notice that it was an interracial couple. To suggest that you didn't notice I find very hard to believe. Especially since it depited a black man with a whote women.

June 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kim Malott

The bible says "The last will be first, and the first will be last". The bible doesn't lie!!!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyD

What does that parable even have to do with this?

June 3, 2013 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Wm.Russ Martin

The bible says a lot of things.

June 3, 2013 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Kim,

How does this relate?

June 3, 2013 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  68. Alicia

Crazy! Anti-white really? Is this really a concern of yours? Comical in a world where there are so many "real" problems to be concerned about!

June 3, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  69. Dina Perron / Montreal Canada

Never even noticed the anti-racial aspect to this ad. Let's get a life ! Aren't we passed that yet ?

June 3, 2013 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  70. Valorie Bratcher

If you are aware of your surroundings when you are out and about, you would realize that this is how it is now. I agree with John Yaya and say "Get over it!"

June 3, 2013 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  71. Howard

Seriously people some of you need to get a life. There are plenty of interacial families all over the country and believe it or not they eat cereal in the morning. I have often wondered why we dont see more interacial couples in commercials, they are part of society and commercials should reflect that

June 3, 2013 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  72. David M

Honestly, I didn't even notice it was an inter-racial couple until the media stirred up all this controversy. Brilliant marketing by General Mills. HONEY NUT CHEERIOS are my favorite.

June 3, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  73. Dina Perron / Montreal Canada

Never even noticed that it was an anti-racial ad until it was brought to my attention on the news this a.m.
    Let's get a life !

June 3, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  74. Pete

I don't think stirring a racial controversy is the right way to sell an old fashioned cereal.

June 3, 2013 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

It sure is a good way to stir up the bigots so they (foolishly) reveal themselves to the rest of the world. Honestly, that this inoffensive commercial can even be construed as "stirring up controversy" is indicative of some real issues in American society.

June 3, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  75. Razz Matazz

For those opposed, don't eat Cheerios! For those not opposed, eat Cheerios! There, problem solved, end of discussion.

June 3, 2013 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm G

I'll eat cheerios regardless as to whether I am opposed or not opposed to this commercial. I LIKE CHEERIOS. GET IT.

June 3, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  76. JhonDaAnalyst

Should Bill Clinton take a paternity test??? Even Strom Thurmond had to come clean......

June 3, 2013 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  77. Build Tolerance First Not Ignorance

CNN, I enjoy your media but this is an area that should just be left alone. This is not news but sales. When you open up the door through this non-issue, it stirs up ignorance. Let the ignorant be ignorant on their own. Think about it, this article can easily be about CNN stirring up "Racism". The saying, "He/She who is without Sin cast the first stone." CNN, there is no need to be a part of the ignorance! By the way, ignorance comes in all races. I'm a black man and have seen and heard just as much ignorance from my own people. The world will be perfect when there is no ignorance!

June 3, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest13126

I'll bet the black community would have a cow if it were a white man and a black woman with the mixed kid. Black men hate it when a sister takes a white guy.

June 3, 2013 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Eve

Love thy neighbor as thy self. How can you love God whom you have not seen and hate your neighbor? Love between a man a woman is a beautiful thing, no matter what the color. I have seen some of the most beautiful children come from Black and White, Hispanic and White, and Asian and White couples. We are all mixed that is why there are so many colors betwen black and white. If Adam and Eve were the first two people on the Earth then we are all distant cousins. Kudos to Cheerios for running the Ad. The more discussion, even if there is disapproval, the more opportunity for love to surpass hate. Because love will eventually prevail. Sometimes it is slow in coming but it is inevitable, as we see with our first multi-racial black President.

June 3, 2013 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Tam

SOrry but Black men degrade black women to uphold whites. This is a deep issue.

June 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Steve Cameron

Race never entered your mind, but you immediately thought of Oreos. Your subconscious is racist!

June 3, 2013 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  79. syzito

The ad is just a make believe world conceived by an ad agency that sold its product to Cheerio's.The ad agency was just being politically correct.It has nothing to do with the real world.

June 3, 2013 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Interesting insight. If multiracial children are not "real", then there are whole lot of ghosts walking and talking around my South Florida classroom.

June 3, 2013 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

You are so right! I am now retired but I worked in advertising for most of my life. It was unbelievable what clients and Art Directors wanted us to do for the sake of "Diversity". We often had to Photoshop in people of other races to satisfy them. These are rich dudes who never visited a ghetto in their lives. They eat high power lunches at expensive restaurants every day. They are totally out of touch with reality.

June 3, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  80. Conrad

Numbers 12:1-8.
    Enjoy your leprosy until you are ready for the 21st century.

June 3, 2013 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • D Hudson

yea, yea, and yea. good one.

June 3, 2013 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyD

I just read those verses to see what you're talking about. Nothing in there said that the judgement came upon the couple just because they were interracial. It said it was brought on them because they spoke against Abraham and called his speaking for God in question. This cherry picking and twisting of words really needs to stop with people like you.

June 3, 2013 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  81. D Hudson

goofy people are opposed. didn't Burlington Fabrics do something similar years ago? blending of races is inevitable- it's called Brownian Motion. molecules migrate, people migrate. live with it.

June 3, 2013 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  82. Beauty in Color

I for one am not a person that doesn't want to notice color. I think different races and colors are beautiful!

I feel sorry for the beautiful black ladies who's men are choosing another race over them. It's a real shame that you see the famous black male atheletes with a different race than with the beautuful black women that deserve them. I say races should stay together and produce children of the same race so we will always have beautiful diversity.

June 3, 2013 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

I have a slightly different take on it. Are these couples being selfish? If you are born white, you are considered "privileged". If you are of another race, you are "underprivileged". So if you have kids and the underprivileged genes predominate, your children are going to be underprivileged. Obama is known as the first "black" president, not the first "mixed race" president. Life is difficult enough. You are condemning your children to have to deal not only with normal peer pressure, but adding to that the pressure to identify with white culture or black culture. That's tough.
      As far as the ad goes, like all the "daring" or "controversial" ads go, its ridiculous. The black people in these ads always dress and talk like white people. Not in my neighborhood.

June 3, 2013 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
      • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Oh my, Steve. what Is "talking like White people?" If this is to imply that there are people other than Caucasians who can communicate the English language in a comprehensible manner, this is not exclusive to the White race. It moreso has to do with education and stellar examples or etiquette, wouldn't you agree?

Shame on you for the ignorant implication.

Initially, however, I was clicking Respond to agree with you that President Obama is more than our "first Black President" as he's oft tagged. I always choose to much more broadly refer to him, appropriately, as "America's first non-White President." Seeing his barrier-crashing as bigger than just the Black population's plight.

June 3, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

To HappiGeauxLukkeigh, You misunderstand me. It is hypocrisy for the Advertising world to portray blacks as successful if they speak educated school taught English. I am from the inner city of Brooklyn. I have a Brooklyn accent. I always tried to suppress it as I moved up in the business world because I thought it made me sound dumb. Being a city guy, I have worked with blacks most of my life. I know damn well that blacks can speak perfectly proper English when they want to. But most don't want to unless it's a business situation. They are proud of their culture and more comfortable with it. I guess my point was that in a normal home environment, they wouldn't talk that way. But hey, it's just an ad, it's not reality.

June 3, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
      • mixedchick

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha "selfish"?? You cannot be serious. I am half black and half white and it has been nothing but a blessing in my life. Did I get made fun of when I was a kid for being mixed? Of course. Then the bullies eventually moved on and made fun of kids who weren't mixed. Then they made fun of everyone who didn't dress the "right" way, etc. EVERYONE is going to have struggles in life. I can honestly say that being biracial has always been the absolute LEAST of my problems. If someone doesn't like me because I'm mixed, that's their problem. If anything, it gives me an advantage nowadays because I can relate to EVERYBODY.

Thanks for the laugh!!!!! I needed that.

June 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

The point is, the less struggles the better. You are fortunate. Is Tiger Woods your brother?

June 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rock Q

@Steve...I'm an older (which is relative by the way) black man. The term "under privileged" was probably conceived to be used for political purposes more than actually pointing out disparities. That being said, I believe you think the the disparity exists because being born other than white leaves one at a disadvantage. If that is true, it's only because whites are still the majority in the US and hold the power. But if you're as "educated" as you say you are, than you are aware that the particular dynamic is about to change in this country. Whites are reproducing less and hispanics are the fastest growing population.

History teaches that the minority will not forever rule the majority (South Africa) and revolution is inevitable in these cases. The minority NEVER wins! So, I guess you can take solace in the fact that you'll probably be dead and gone by the time it happens...but know whites will soon be the MINORITY in this country.

June 5, 2013 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Beauty
      There will always be diversity, but we should allow people to love who they want without conditions such as, you can only marry within your race. I am married to a black man and I am white. He has twin girls from a black mother and we have our children. All of our children are beautiful inside and out and they also know that they can and should marry because they truly love someone for the people that they are not for the color of their skin. I didn't steal my husband from all of the beautiful black women in this world. I simply fell in love with a man that I had a lot of things in common with, a man that is my best friend, a good and caring man. The color of his skin or mine is not even relavent to our relationship, love affair, marriage, parenting skills, or anything other part of who we are or why we fell in love. So, you are saying that we should have ignored our love because we have different colored skin? We are also part of the diversity that you claim to love? Diversity is difference and your comment is just as racist as the next.

June 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • MCM

Alicia -I could not agree more. People should love who they wish. My husband is black and I am white. I did not 'steal' him from anyone. We have been together for over 20 years now and have 3 heathy happy children. and we are all apart of the 'human race' 🙂

June 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Beauty in Color

"I simply fell in love with a man that I had a lot of things in common with, a man that is my best friend, a good and caring man"

So you're saying that not one white man had those qualities?

June 4, 2013 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • CAT WOMAN

I totally agree!

June 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Jesus

You can make what you want with that Ad. It could be a wholesome interracial family or a black and white duo with the jobless husband sleeping on the couch. Some narrow minds may opine that the wife may be of mixed race as well or of Italian extraction (which would be the same thing). Hence, it can be viewed with acceptance from a person who is not prejudiced to a racist.

June 3, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  84. Hugo

Shocking even. Perhaps it is because Cheerios is perceived as a wholesome product. Biracial unions are morally wrong, contradict the god's will. In addition too many biracial unions occurr because the parents think they are "earning".

June 3, 2013 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
    • SarahCatheline0310

Hugo, are you being serious or just trying to be funny? Something tells me that you're serious. If that's the case, you're an idiot.

June 3, 2013 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

However you feel about it, it is here to stay. I live in DC near the National Zoo and every day I see interracial couples with their strollers on their way there. Usually black males with white women, next are the white males with Asian women, rarely, white men with black women. DC is a liberal Democrat city, its all about who you know and how liberal you are. I expect many of these couples are trying to prove they are liberal by marrying or dating a member of another race. Just like the lawyers and lobbyists have to have a supermodel "trophy wife". It's business. But DC is not America, it will take a bit longer in the Bible belt. My mother was from Alabama and had Cherokee blood. The family hushed it up and passed for white. Eat your damn Cheerrios!

June 3, 2013 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
      • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Ah Steve, such a sad commentary on that "trophy" reality.

June 3, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
      • Rock Q

@Steve,
        I'm a older (again relative)black man who was married to a white woman while living in MA. These types of marriages must really upset you. Are you really so naive as to believe these people marry to be politically correct?

June 5, 2013 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  85. Jenny sue

Who said anything bad about the commercial? People rectiong reacting against ...nothing.

June 3, 2013 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  86. vm

What a sweet ad. I do not see a racial thing here. With so many single kids or kids of mixed raced parents around us, I do not think anything out of normal here. I love cheerios, my kids love them & definitely Yes, I love this ad.

June 3, 2013 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

Single kid's are so much better than married kids...lol...proof-read before posting...Assume you meant single race....But these days almost everyone has been strained between the sheets genealogically, we're all pretty much Heinz 57 ....

June 3, 2013 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  87. Joan

I have seen plenty of ad with mixed raced couples. There is an IKEA ad with a black woman and a white man. I have seen countless asian wives with white male husbands on tv. Some tv shows even have interracial couples. Like in "Happy Endings" it was a black man and white woman. They never even brought up race as a issue on the show. They were just another couple like every other couple on the show. For some reason, if the wife is the minority race and the husband is white no one takes offense. If you switch it everyone goes crazy! I have yet to see an ad of a asian man with a black woman.

June 3, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
    • HappiGeauxLukkeigh

Now THAT is an interesting insight! Indeed all this ranting does seem to stem from the combination of the mixed race. And or is it also the reality of the procreation of the union, as well?

June 3, 2013 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  88. Loathstheright

Normal people see this as normal.....nuff said.

June 3, 2013 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Who determines what's normal? A normal person in Texas ain't a normal person in New York City. Are you "Normal".

June 3, 2013 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  89. fj

oh give me a break. there's nothing racist about this commercial. now if mommy was eating her cheerios with watermelon, that would definitely be racist.

June 3, 2013 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  90. Jessy The Gnostic

Seriously? People died in Oklahoma. The IRS was caught red handed twice with biased audits and stupid spending. The politicians continue to lie to us as we pay their salary. Crazy folks are out to shoot little kids in schools. But instead of being angry about that, we somehow still have morons that are angry over an innocent Cheerios commercial simply because it featured a biracial couple? Come on. Talk about willful ignorance.

June 3, 2013 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

Jessy, You are absolutely correct. Anyone who is offended by this commercial needs some serious help.
      Cathy the Christian.

June 3, 2013 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  91. Unknown

America has never been an all white country, you know.
    Native Americans/American Indians/Indigenous peoples whatever term you calls us, we were here first.

Before white people committed genocide against us.
    Before white people forcibly assimilated us-or attempted to assimilate us.
    You might forget about us, but we're still here and we're still not not white.

White people are also the ones that forcibly brought over slaves...and now you guys (very few of you) complain about multiculturalism and mixed race families? Hah.

June 3, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Just a few comments on first nation people who I will henceforth refer to as "Indians". More Indians were killed by other Indians than by whites, and yes it was genocide, just look at the history of the Flatheads. The whites killed more Indians through disease than with bullets. The population of Indians in North and South America is now larger than it was when Columbus landed. I guess the genocide didn't work out too well. The whites did not try to "assimilate" Indians racially, they tried to turn them into Christian farmers. When that didn't work, they forced them onto reservations (Concentration Camps), and forgot about them, hoping they would drink themselves to death. It's hard to get rid of people.

June 3, 2013 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  92. maria

I don't know what the noise about it! look at the Celebrities they adopt kids from Africa ...is part of the status ! I see many women with black kids and is not the first time is a biracial kid waking around with one of the parents white our President is biracial mother white father black .....and so?

June 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Danielle

Why the hate?

June 2, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  94. dweaver

It is a sad world when such an innocent commercial can bring out such hate. I will eat my next bowl of Cheerios with a smile on my face knowing that the love we have in our hearts is so much greater than the hate in the judgemental.

June 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Underpants

I honestly don't know what I was expecting when I started watching the video, but it was so funny that I forgot it was causing an issue. I don't get why people need to see in black and white, or asian and hispanic, w/e. In the words of Dr. House: "I don’t care about color. As long as they can help me breed a superior race".

June 2, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  95. jebus christo

plenty of room in this world for black only or brown only or yellow only or pink only or blue only but when a group of pale freaks wants to pull back from the multi-cultural experiment they are labeled devils....Does anyone else see something inherently wrong with this?.....Are the books I read wrong?...The literature I consume points to a lot of good coming from Caucasian people....Is black pride wrong?...Is brown pride wrong?...Is asian pride wrong?....But white pride is a manifestation of the devil?....God help us...

June 2, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Have at it

You had your chance. You screwed it up with that whole slavery thing.

June 3, 2013 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  96. MonkeyMama

I think it's adorable!

June 2, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Roddy

Kudos to Cheerios, but Joe's Os are still better (crunchier and less pricey).

June 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  98. JM

Sadly, too many people are still dumb and living in caves. They are ignorant and too busy looking for faults in others (that don't exist) while ignoring their own glaring issues.

June 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mogran

And of course you're not

June 2, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • JM

I often wonder if it's a right wing hobby to judge others.

June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • rp518dan

It's the essence of the right wing to judge others. The need to be superior to others to feel good about themselves is what makes them tick. They are not happy except when comparing themselves favorably to others...and they are amazing at cheating in how they keep score.

June 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

You ARE kidding, right? The democrats and liberals in general have made it their life-long job to condemn anybody else who doesn't agree with their political correctness.

June 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gregg

Most liberal comments judge and look down on others who disagree with them. They are just too arrogant to see it.

June 3, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Akwasi Achireko Kwagyan

I have never read a statement that is a hit right on on the of the nail. You must be a very smart man. Whatever you do adding formal teaching will be great for the world.

June 3, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  99. Maria O'Connor

Look at Halle Berry, probably some people felt pitty for her mother and her children, but Halle won an Oscar, she is a millonary and she is going to be mother for second time ! She also have a beautiful girl that is 75% white and 25% black, so she could care less about critics regarding miscegenation. Same thing, with President Obama, some people may felt pitty for the mother and for her "mulatto child", but he went to Harvard and became a president !

June 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

Halle said she wants her children to be called Black. But that is her choice.

June 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  100. katya cobham

I love the fact that families like mine are finally starting to be represented in the media. Kudos to Cheerios! America is a melting pot and if anybody in this day and age thinks that they are "pure" breed they need to think again! There will always be haters, but that's their problem, not mine.

June 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |