May 31st, 2013

Why is ad featuring multiracial family causing stir?

(CNN) - The leader of the free world is the child of one black parent and one white parent. The number of Americans who identify as "mixed race" is on the rise. And this year marks the 46th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court decision, which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.

So why is a Cheerios ad featuring a multiracial family causing a stir?

The commercial features a curly-haired brown girl inquiring of her Caucasian mother and African-American father about Cheerios' healthy attributes.

"Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios was good for your heart. Is that true?" she asks in the commercial, titled "Just Checking."

Adweek reports that YouTube comments made "references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide' " before they were disabled.

As of Friday, most of the comments were supportive on the Cheerios Facebook page, like this one:

Cheerios,

I just saw your commercial representing a beautiful mixed family, and I am appalled that hateful people are in such a frenzy over what is a modern family structure. I applaud you and your efforts to acknowledge families with an untraditional structure, and there needs to be more mixed race, minority, adoptive & non-heteronormative families represented in media. Thank you again, and even though I do not eat cereal (my brother loves Cheerios BTW) you can be sure that whatever future child I am blessed with, may probably be mixed heritage, and will be enjoying your product.

But earlier in the week, comments were not as thoughtful. The Huffington Post reported on the vile nature of some responses, like this one:

More like single parent in the making. Black dad will dip out soon.

Reddit featured a link to the commercial on its homepage Thursday, also drawing a range of responses.

But the range of reactions to an ad that incidentally highlights a multiracial family might be the start of a discussion on how the American family is seen and portrayed.

What do you think: Is the commercial long overdue or much ado about nothing?

Filed under: How we look • Race • Where we live
soundoff (1,494 Responses)
  1. Chris

Surprising this has caused such a stir. Has it really, though? My kids didn't even blink. I thought it was cute. Nobody I know is "talking" about this. It seems the media made it a story, opening it up to trolls, when there wasn't a story to begin with. The story should rather be the GMO, pesticide laced grains used by Cheerios. Cute commercial or not, this brand is never going to end up on my kitchen table. I don't need their box to tell me about healthy choices.

June 26, 2013 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon Macias

I saw this commercial and thought it was cute, not because of the mixed races but by the message. I hadn't realized that it was a mixed race couple until just now. I applaud Cheerios for being in in tune with progress and recognizing the importance of acknowledging diversity.

June 27, 2013 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
      • steve cameron

People keep making this same comment over and over and over. "I didn't even notice", you would be great on the witness stand for a criminal case. Congratulations, you are not a racist! Do you feel better now? This is the media! We are not talking about real people here. The people in the ad are actors. They are not really married. That is not their child. Cheerios is attacking the stereotype of one race couples in the hopes of reaching out to a certain demographic. But they are supporting the stereotype of mixed race couples being a black man and a white women. There are a lot of other combinations by the way.

June 27, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dude Manchez

Holy... that is adorable.

The cheerios being heart healthy is fake trash though. None of that is true. Hence why the mom can say yes, she can only say "well it says here..."

June 25, 2013 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Shewillbemine

Anyone who claims racism doesn't exist in America merely has to read 1 comment thread on the internet. Just 1.

June 25, 2013 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • mal

does anyone actually claim there isn't racism in America??

June 25, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steve cameron

I am going to sue the Italian government because the Roman legions raped and enslaved my ancestors. You are part of the problem, not the solution. New Black Panther are you?

June 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. truth missle

Why is it always a white female and black male? Because both know oppression. While the black female is oppressed too, the white male wants to perpetuate a society based upon racial class. The black female.... if she attached to the white male, would be a force for the liberation of her people. Apologies to anyone who are offended or turned of by the truth. But that's too bad.

June 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Danny

Genetically we are one human race and there is technically no such thing as race. Race is a means to classify and divide people solely by skin color is absurd. If we can mate and bear children then we are the same species. Dogs and cats don't run around looking at each others fur before thinking about getting fancy why do we?

June 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blackbeard

Dogs can interbreed with wolves and coyotes. This does not make them the same.

June 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • truth missle

So which one you like the best mr idgit?

June 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Raleigh Charles

Answer the question: What is the white race? What is the Black race? Why do all races share blood types? We are different and the same genetically, what we look like is the phenotypes expressed.

June 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. steve cameron

Cheerios is trying to undo stereotypes by making these commercials. Unfortunately they are perpetuating the stereotypes of Black Man/White Woman. From the comments in this post you can see that many African American women are a little upset with this. It's like "what about me? Do I count?". I think Cheerios shot themselves in the foot with this one.

June 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Linda

Mixed race aside, the commercial doesn't indicate whether the couple is even married. Anyone objecting to that? Or are we just assuming? You say it doesn't matter? Then what does it matter that they are different races?

June 22, 2013 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Carol

Who gives a rat's butt? Advertising, has, does, and will always attempt to manipulate the consumer's emotions so as to try to make the consumer believe that s/he will never be whole or content without the product or service in question. That is the nature of our "free market" economy.

June 21, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. steve cameron

Obviously, you call yourself a "Progressive". What you are suggesting is tyranny of the left. Our country depends on a multi-party system so that ALL points of view are respected. Otherwise we become an Orwellian "Are you a member of THE PARTY?, state. How awful that would be. You obvious take your "talking points" from your leaders. Try to think for yourself and not listen to dogma. You probably don't even know what the progressive movement was all about in our history. Teddy Roosevelt was a "Progressive". Think about that.

June 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Giacomia

Why does everyone else care what other people do or who they choose to love, worry about yourself. Everyone has the right to love who they want, and if it works for the individual to marry outside of their race then I am happy for them. Judge not lest ye be judged, and you will!

June 21, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MarcC

It's much to do about nothing...

June 21, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nanson Hwa

As the Rev. Martin Luther KIng, Jr. pointed out, "individuals marry, not races."

June 21, 2013 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Smalls

I can hoola hoop with a Cheerio.
    Isn't the product more important anyways? I don't care who is in the commercial just as long as the product works.

June 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. StuporDave

Racism is a pigment of our lack of imagination. How often are we admonished not to judge a book by its cover? And yet...

June 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Greg

Really? Sooo you say you want everyone to be accepted and then you go and blast the Republican party. Kind of a broad generalized statement. I'm a registered republican (though changing that to independent soon because well both parties suck). I accept people of every creed and color. Kinda part of my job as a teacher (biology teacher too so I know on the inside everyone is basically the same). I'd love everyone to be excepted too doesn't matter what party someone is from. That's kinda why our government can't function because it's all about who you belong to. We need to get past that as a society and go on individual merit. Don't try and make this a political thing. Some people are just bigoted, doesn't matter what party they are from. Plenty of racists from either side.

June 20, 2013 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • steve cameron

I agree. I am an independent also. The problem we have is that most of us cannot vote in the primaries of the 2 main parties so we will never have any candidates. Moderates are the only way that we can bring our deeply polarized nation together. It is no more true that all Republicans are racist than that all Democrats are Commies. There are a large number of moderates in both parties, but they get drowned out by the wing nuts during the primaries. The wing nuts make blanket statements about the opposing parties and in defense, the moderates are driven more to the left or right. Thanks for the comment, and good luck, we need more people who think as you do.

June 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. yosoy ELyosoy

wakeup we are ONE

June 20, 2013 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. andyv2k14

Who cares? The couple is mixed race, who cares either way? But also, I'm sure that some of the people were joking. Sometimes racism is good for humor. If you're too thin skinned to take some stuff as humor, too bad for you, it's gonna be hard getting through life being that thin skinned.

June 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Zhuang

I am the Father of a Multi-Ethnic children. I have two children who are half Chinese and Half Caucasian. I see nothing wrong with this Ad, and am very happy to see this. The small minded Racists who are against this need to wake up to what the future is giving this great country. Where you can't be a racist because everyone will have a part of every ethnic group.
    This shows America is truly a Melting pot.

June 18, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  20. Brandon

This Commercial is Sweet. It's 2013. People need to get a hobby.

June 18, 2013 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Zhuang

Couldn't agree more. Thanks also for the Laugh about people needing a Hobby!

June 18, 2013 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jer

Its causing a stir because racism is still alive and well in this country. Sadly, it will never go away. There are just people that are stuck in the past. And these people punish their children by instilling their racist values in them, and it goes on and on and on.

Racist people should just be ignored

June 18, 2013 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  22. NormanDee

We have a bi-racial President, a country that has made the newest and bi-racial Kardasian an obsession and people have a problem with a bi-racial product ad?! Crazy....

June 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Erin

Why do we care so much about this? Why can't a commercial just be representative of the reality of some people's lives- in this case it happens to be an interracial family, and why can't people be ok with that?. In this day in age do we really need to over – analyze it. When I was young I did not see many minorities that looked like it could be me in ads or magazines, my biracial daughter is seeing something different- progress. With that said I believe there is more than a single motivation behind this . The only color most corporations are interested in is green,and having a greater appeal to a wider customer base, assures this.

June 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Summer819

Could not agree more. I don't have mixed race children, but I don't see the big deal. This is the norm for a lot of families these days, so why can't it be seen in everyday commercials?

And I still happen to think an interracial couple having babies make some of the most beautiful kids out there!

June 17, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  24. Another

Funny that people who are in favour support this bad, but the product of the odd looking union is less not more diverse.

June 15, 2013 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Diane

Way to go Cheerio's!! Being white and married to a black man (gasp!) for 23 years, I think this commercial is great and long overdue. Have 2 daughters and can thankfully say we have never had a major problem with anyone having trouble with our relationship. My kids are very well adjusted and I am hoping that their generation is much more open to these things and don't think twice about it, while my generation 40+, still has lingering issues. There will always be the families that continue to shove it down their kids throat that this is wrong, but I am convinced that racism will become a distant memory in time. Society is becoming blended more and more. Like it or not.

June 14, 2013 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Katherine

Hi Diane,
      I liked your comments.

I saw the ad last night. I have to admit I didn't give it but a moments thought - except "how is Dad going to deal with the cleanup of all those little Cheerios?"

I'm Irish, in my 60s, have grown children and am from a very large multi-national, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and religiously diverse family (from Agnostics to Quakers and beyond). I don't see what the problem is with the depiction of a pretty typical American family . This is life. We need to embrace differences celebrate diversity and move on.

June 14, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. artstnmtn1

Karen, nice try. years ago during the integration of schools in the south some whites claimed their issue was with bussing and not integration. however, the signs I saw didn't say," buses go home", they read, "n-word" go home". you see, even back then people were using excuses to be racist.

June 13, 2013 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. Albert Wesker

It matters not what the color of your skin is. I have tested people of all races with my viral supplements and when the facts boil down, failure and inadequacy are not racially determined. It is a personal issue. Black, white, Hispanic or asian, you are all inferior to me. So enjoy your irrelevant qualms while you have the time. Soon, Uroburos will be released and a new age of humanity will be birthed ensuring Complete Global Saturation.

June 12, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Unless of course Chris Redfield shows up

June 20, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  28. Andrew

Great ad!! Cheerios did a good thing but it should have come sooner and I would hope to see more like it. And, by the way, I am a white man in a loving relationship with a black woman and we could not be happier and nearly everyone we meet fully accepts us. Maybe they wouldn't if they knew that I am actually not 100% white, in fact my DNA says that I am 3% Neanderthal!!!

June 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jason B

I don't get the problem. Commercials promoting mixed race? Nothing wrong with them, this sounds like an argument we would've been having in the late 1960's and early 1970's. If you can have a Geico commercial with women dating Maxwell the Pig, there's certainly nothing wrong here.

Now, when they start having commercials pushing the same s e x couple agenda, then I'll have a problem. But mixed race? No

June 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. steven cameron

Just to clarify, my reply was to Cheryl, not Jennifer. I don't know why it wound up where it did. As far as Cheryl absurd remark goes. We have come along ways since 19th century Victorian ladies of "breeding" used to faint if someone said the word "damn" in their presence.

June 12, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. AK

And now is your chance to raise your child right—to appreciate the differences in people (from shades to religion to cultural).

Maybe then your child will never make the same ignorant comment (i.e. the way that you did).

June 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Brian, Detroit, MI

Maybe you should start by explaining how the world works, not your backward christian ideas about how the world should work.

June 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jennifer

Why would you have to monitor a commercial with a mixed race family from your child? I believe it is easy to explain to your children if they so happen to ask a question about mixed race families. If you think you have to monitor this commercial from your child, I believe your introducing your child into thinking that mixed couples, families are wrong for being together.

June 12, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • steven cameron

I believe your comment is seeded to cause violent reaction in this thread. It is rediculous and obnoxious. If you have a five year old (which I doubt), they are either in 1st grade or soon will be. They will hear more from their peers in the school room and playground than you could ever imagine. You can't shield a child from life.

June 12, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. YAYA

So what race would I fall under?(Steve) I am more then just biracial. My father is mixed with white/ african/native american/french and german. My mother is mixed with white/african and indian. There are plenty of biracial families in the world. If we all go back and look at your family trees. We are all mixed with something. So just get over it. And move on cause the world is going to turn with or with your approvals!!!

June 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dannyzihua

Very true YAYA I am a HolMexCan (Holland, Mexican, born in Canada) I never saw so much truble Because of mix race as I hear of it now. Growing up in Montreal that is all we saw is mix Family's so we kids never fely out of place. Sad world we live in.

June 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. steven cameron

Are they really stating that the country has been taken over by inner city uneducated poor minorities? I think that is an exaggeration. I think they are either racists, or people concerned about Cherrios endorsing mixed-race couples as a good thing.

June 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TonyaW

Well said Steven...I love that my kids will see themselves in this ad!

June 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Marcus Hill

I thought the whole thing was pretty cute. Was I upset by the biracial couple, no. I got over that crap a long time ago.

June 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Travis

I don't understand why everyone makes race such a big deal. You all talk like they did a good deed or charity work just because they are with someone else of a different color.... "Oh this is so cute because the girl is black and the mom is white" blah blah blah.... jesus... It's all of you idiots that continue to make racism what it is today. Get over it.

June 11, 2013 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe peterson

I am in a biracial marriage.She is Jamaican. I am a British/Irish mutt. People have their opinions and are welcome to them. I am not into building Utopias, but do believe in letting others live their lives in peace.

June 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • artstnmtn1

congratulation, travis, for pointing out how these racial problems could be solved if we just looked the other way.......not

June 13, 2013 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger

I live in England and over here, many of our adverts/commercials have a white and black couple with their biracial kids, and even our Olympics opening ceremony televised to all the world showed a family listening to music and what did the family look like? a white woman, her black husband and biracial kids. I really don't get what the fuss is about in the USA – adverts depict real life and I know a good number of mixed black and white marriages in the USA as well as in the UK. The fact that people disagree with the concept has not and wont stop it from being a reality.

June 13, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Murica

I live in England. Im American and let me tell you YOU guys have a race problem too. Don't think you are special or more advanced then us. Yes on the telly (tv) you have chubby women and interracial couples blah blah....I seen though in regular village life the hate that is spewed but of course hidden just like America. So don't pretend it still doesn't exist in your little country

June 14, 2013 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  38. Farrok

Men and women see race and color; nature never does..............

June 11, 2013 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ScotsHeart

Neither do children until they are taught

June 11, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  39. asuhd

What is wrong with these people. Have they never heard of bi-racial families?
    I guess it's understandable to be a little thrown off in the beginning since you rarely see that in commercials but shouldn't it just end there? And in all honestly, I don't think black, asian, or latino people have a problem with this. It's mostly just white people. I always see white people try really hard not to offend minorities but it's kind of seems to be built in the core of their brains that America is their land and they shouldn't breed with any other races to keep their genes clean or something. They don't say it but it always seems implied and they act on it.
    Of course it's not all white people. But there are quite a lot.

June 11, 2013 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Horn

sad to say asuhd, 11B30_inf mankind does not remember what the Nazi's did, or Yuglosavia, or Turky, or any other country that thinks they are better then others, we look for life in outer space what good can that bring when we cannot get along in our Earth.

June 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another

You need to read what some black women think sometimes before you say only white people have a problem with this

June 15, 2013 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  40. archedemos

The race tollerant people are being fooled. In a pair the white one is most usually the woman as the Media portrais it over and over again. Please note that the combination of black woman and white man is brushed aside. The black woman is being ignored. Is that O.K. with you or have you just been fooled.

June 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miz

Black women are far from invisible nowadays. Scandal is one of the most popular shows on TV right now and Kerry Washington has been bringing it since episode one. And interracial relationships that skew BW/WM aren't anything new. The Jeffersons were doing it way back when!

And then you have the more visible interracial couples like David Bowie & Iman, Paula Patton & Robin Thicke, Rutina Wesley & James Fishel, and, while she isn't the best example, look at Halle Berry's romantic history.

But still. You spit at tolerance because it's not projecting an image you think it's appropriate. You are no different than those who are upset that this ad features a white woman and black man because you feel the exact same way, just with the races reversed. That's pretty shameful.

June 10, 2013 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
      • t

You cant include Hallli Barry. She is also a mixed race woman.

June 10, 2013 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
      • artstnmtn1

it does seem the black woman kind of gets left out. even after the coming out of nba player Jason Collins, it was revealed that even gay black man preferred a white woman.

June 13, 2013 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Are you making an intelligent point? Or any point at all? Since I'm "race tolerant" I thought you might be making an offensive remark, but in the end you make no sense at all.

June 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • archedemos

The point is that bi-racial pairs always have the white person as a woman. And thats discrimination against blacks as well as latinos and orientals. Look for it . Its there , over and over again.

June 11, 2013 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Heather

Ick! Asians, not Orientals.....

June 11, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Chistine

Oriental is ok for food or a rug, it describes and object.... not a person. People are Asian, not oriental.

June 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • TonyaW

Thank you Heather...Oriental is a flavor of Top Ramen, not a person.

June 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • chandra_17

The idea that the woman is always white in a biracial marriage is completely incorrect. My mom is Indian (from India) and my dad is white (british/swedish). And I'm half and half.

June 12, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • artstnmtn1

archedemos: that's not a mandate but by choice.

June 13, 2013 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Roger

I completely agree with archedemos. 99% of the mixed marriages I know of [i.e. personally] are a white man/black woman pair but you will never know this from the media. By the way, living in the UK, we [ie everyone I know] call people from the Orient/South east asia 'oriental' and people from south asia/India we call 'asian'. When did this rule change?

June 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Linda

What I see is a little girl of a biracial family, WHICH IS NOTHING MORE THAN THE NORM IN THIS COUNTRY, being concerned for her daddy. I wish more families of ALL races would be more concerned for their families health. GET OVER THE FACT THAT THIS FAMILY IS BIRACIAL! I wonder if the people who are complaining about the biracial actually have a life besides complaining about anything and everything. ?!

June 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  42. 1965biracial

I was shocked when I 1st saw the ad not because I disapproved but because a sponsor would be so brave. WAY TO GO Cheerios! I will put my $ where my mouth is-Cheerios will be the cereal of choice in my home.
    I was born to Irish-American (dad) & African-American (mom) in 1965 prior to this being legal in Virginia. I is absolutely ridiculous that after 47 years this remains a topic in America. I hope other sponsors follow suit & begin creating similar ads-hopefully to wake the sleeping American who apparently lost in time.

June 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  43. 1965biracial

I was shocked by the ad not because I disapprove but that a sponsor would be so brave. WAY TO GO Cheerios! Just an FYI that will be the only cereal in my house from now on....in support of their willingness to move forward. I will put my $ where my mouth is–hopefully other will follow.
    I am irish (dad) and african-american (mom) born in 1965 prior to Virginia making my parents marriage legal. It is sad that after 47 years old my existence is still an issue for America. We need more ad's like this to get those behind the times caught up with 2013 real life.

June 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Emily

I am also appalled at the number of bigots out there. It is complete idiocy to be bigoted against someone because of their skin color. It's the 21st century. Can't we end racism, already?

June 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another

Its obviously more than skin colour or we woul have discrimination based on eye colour and hair colour. Its clearly got much more to do with experience of a group of people and how they behave!

June 15, 2013 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  45. Jess

Good for you Cheerios now how about getting rid of Sugar and GMO corn so these beautiful children can grow up

June 9, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

$5 says you don't even know what GMO means or how it's done.

June 10, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  46. Maui420L

Maybe we can finally wipe out bigoted hate in this country... we should adopt a non-discrimination law in this country to make it illegal to discriminate, in all forms...
    This is just a continuing story of bigoted ignorance in the Land of the Free, first the indigenous people, then blacks, Chinese, Irish, Italians, Dutch, Amish... we have a long history of trying to destroy what we don't understand, rather than accept natural differences in human culture...
    The end of the angry white ugly American has come....

June 9, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  47. blueberry

Absolutely love the new Cheerios commercial! A beautiful family!

June 9, 2013 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jass4u

I just want to say thank you for not saying anything negative about the Cheerios commercial. Many people do not understand that we have moved on to a different day and age.

June 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. honey badger

Great commercial! When I initially saw the little girl and her mother, the first thing I thought was how cute she was and that she was probably adopted. Then I saw the dad, and said to myself, "Oh, a biracial family! Good for you, Cheerios, but I know there will be haters."

Let's not miss the underlying message of the commercial – families come in all colors and variations, This particular one happened to be biracial. Most importantly, the parents were obviously teaching their child about love, compassion, and empathy. Being "heart healthy" was the selling point for the cereal.

Those who are upset with the complexion of the family, need to check for a pulse.

June 9, 2013 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  49. Mart

"Granted, the comments section of the Internet is rarely a reliable space for reflective or thoughtful discourse on race in America."
    As the comment sections are anonymous it is probable the most reliable source on race in America

June 8, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Except that racists tend to flood to articles about racial issues, driven there by the forums they frequent.

June 10, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Jones

The only problem with internet boards is that angry people are way overrepresented. Probably because their friends and family have stopped listening to them because of the negativity. The friendly vice that would be heard in general society can sometimes get lost in the bickering and the boasts of high I.Q.'s

June 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Roger

Youtube is ferocious. There are probably 100 or maybe even 100,000 [often men] sitting by their computers each day with no aims or goals in life but to attack with the most abusive vicious racial diatribe. I no longer go to youtube – its the angry frustrated jobless hopeless bitter disturbed heartless mans lair and attracts such people to it like flies; those who would never even attempt to use such vile words if face to face with the object of their derision.

June 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. WASP

that ad was soo cute. i'm german/native american. my son is half dominican; his mother is dark pigmented dominican. so what's the problem?
    here's a fact: color/race was created by humans, pigment was created by nature.

June 7, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • LunaBaby

AMEN WASP!

"color/race was created by humans, pigment was created by nature"

June 10, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Jane Eliot, the American teacher who created the brown eye/ blue eye experiment to teach young children about racism in the wake of the assassination of MLK Jr, said this:

"God created one race–the human race. People created racism."

June 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • steven cameron

Actually, there is one species. Race was invented as a way to classify human beings depending on their genetic variations. If we decided that race did not exist, as some of my liberal friends insist, the medical profession would just have to come up with a different term. It is vital for doctors to know your racial make up in order to diagnose disorders like Sickle Cell, Lupus, Rickets, etc., for Africans and Heart Disease and Cancer for Europeans. So like the word or not, some form of classification is necessary.

June 10, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Katherine

Lisa
        This is precisely why I refuse to answer any question about race. Even on the Census I check mark "other" and then put in Irish or, more precisely, HUMAN. Why not? I am not a big fan of contrived statistical information on so-called "race" and if I cannot skip the question I put my own spin on it.

June 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  51. 11B30_Inf

I am part Irish and Native American (Choctaw) My wife is Korean and both my Sons are half Korean... I see nothing wrong with this ad but you will always find people who are still against mixing blood.... Sorry they feel that way....

Racism Knows No Color.....

June 7, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  52. Stephanie

I think the commercial is great and portrays a more accurate picture of todays family makeups. It's about time. And for all you haters out there, suck it up, grow up and get over yourselves.

Thanks Cheerios!

June 7, 2013 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  53. Walter Freeman

If the cereal will give me a warm heart like this commercial, I just may have to start_eating Cheerios.

June 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

Then make sure you get Honey Nut Cheerios, cause regular Cheerios is awful (sorry, but it's true). I grabbed a box of the non-honeyed kind by accident, wasn't paying attention. Next day, started in on the box, and it was just a mouthful of bleh. I'm sure it's still just as healthy, and perhaps I just have too much of a sweet tooth, but just no flavor at all.

June 7, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  54. Shawn

I don't understand the rocket science here. The uproar is that the mother is a white woman and the father is a black man. The cultural mindset is that virtuous white woman must be protected from the black male beast. Had the mother been black and the father white, this would be a non-issue.

June 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • hisvoicesuperb

Neo-Nazi's and other white separatist does not like seeing white men and women involved with anyone other than their own kind. They feel that their race is in danger of becoming extinct and that race mixing is the culprit. Only someone with a pea brain feels this way. Some White Separatist overlook white males with hispanic or asian females because their skin color is closer to their own. However, the acception does not extend to African Americans who may be born with skin whiter than theirs, blue or green eyes or blonde hair. To them one drop of black blood is a sin to the world. The strangest thing is that they don't know just how closely related to African Americans that they are ( because of Slavery)... denial is a sad thing.

June 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trevor

I dont think it matters so much which one is black and which is white. The ignorant will find a way to be offended regardless.
      How could anyone look at that beautiful baby girl and not forget all of their unfounded opinions?

June 7, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  55. cassiecolby

As a mixed-girl myself, I think this commercial is long overdue. I constantly encounter racism while attending school in Northern Florida and even receive mean looks while walking around the small town with my parents. Until people understand that color has nothing to do with someones character, people will continue to judge and make hateful comments towards something they don't understand. It saddens me to see racist comments about a simple cereal commercial. I commend Cheerios on acknowledging that the world is changing and people aren't just marrying or having relationships within their race.

June 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Glo

I wish they would do a commercial with Captain Kirk and the green woman. I wonder who that would offend? LOL!

June 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  57. michele

OK, what is wrong with me then? I have seen this commercial several times and never noticed that it was a "bad" commercial. I didn't notice the interracial part, just a mom and cute curly headed girl talking then dad with cherios all over. What did I miss? How could I miss this when it is so out there. Oh maybe I am one of the few that dont see race just people.

June 5, 2013 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Dani O'Neill

Michelle, like you, I hadn't actually noticed the mixed race thing- just thought "cute kid", "responsive Mum", and "sleepy Dad". Maybe I didn't notice, because my own daughter is mixed race (Anglo/Irish/Indian) and reads the cereal box too. I wonder how many people we have offended?!!!!! People need to move forward and stop obsessing with things that will not hurt them.

June 6, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  58. hisvoicesuperb

It is just a cereal commercial folks. I am an African American woman who have been eating General Mills food since I was a small child. Getting rid of commercials like these does not take away from the fact that there are plenty of interracial families in this country and throughout the world. It is offensive to the children of these families as well as their parents. When others find them disgusting.
    They think that something is wrong with themselves because they are part African American. I think bi-racial kids and adults are highly beautiful.

Hopefully General Mills will not pull this commercial because of penny annie comments made by a bunch of hateful bigots who have nothing better to do. Think about this, if the wife in the commercial was a light complexed black female who resembled Halle Barry and the husband was a white man, no one would have a problem with it. If the couple was a white man with an Asian wife... it would not be a problem but Some white racist hate black people so much that they wait in the wings to stir up trouble for them. Look at how they stir up trouble for President Obama. People all around the world from all walks of life eat cheerios, do they think a few or a group of bigots will put a dent in General Mills wallet? Remember the bible speaks in Numbers 12 about how Moses sister in law and brother Aaron
    spoke against Moses Ethiopian wife. Aaron's wife was cursed by God for speaking out against Moses wife and she became leprous.
    What God has joined together let no man separate. Some people seem to have a problem with God's plans. Did it ever occur to these racist,
    "some who claim to be Christian" that Everyone has a purpose in life and that is a part of God's master plan...not the racist white man's masterplan to destroy anything that is not white. If you pay attention to the commercial there is no interaction between the married couple, only the mother was talking with her child about the health benefits of cheerios. The commercial that offends and makes some of these bigots vomit. However when their white ancestors were letting black women breast feed their white children, white men fathering children with black women... most bigots are a bunch of hypocrites that have nothing better to do but to start racial controversy. They hate the fact that
    President Obama's white mother was married to an African man from Kenya.

The truth is, the majority of people in this country have mixed bloodlines, some have not done the research to find out the true story about themselves and their heritage. I know some interracial couples that have been married for decades and they are happy. Again it is God's plan. I believe that God is the ultimate matchmaker and it is no one else's business who marries who or who dates who.

June 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Pam

Racism is something we instill in our children and I can't begin to understand how people can poison their children's innocent minds and instill hatred in their little hearts...and we call ourselves loving parents!?

June 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. shawn011

Let's be realistic, most interracial couples are where the female dates a man with a (stereotypically) larger endowment.

Asian women date white men
    White women date black men

Dislike this comment as much as you want but do you really think it's incorrect?

June 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morton Goose

That's the most ridiculous-overgeneralized statement I've heard in a long time. What a bigot you are, Or perhaps you just entered the comment to get a reaction?

June 5, 2013 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Ronald Reagan

What method of data collection did you use to test this hypothesis?

June 5, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Dmitry

Lol, this is funny. The most hilarious thing I have heard all day, what are you 5?

June 6, 2013 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Bob

He's either 5 or 85.

June 6, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • cassiecolby

yeah your comment is very incorrect. what year are we living in? 2013...

June 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

What in the world are you talking about? Women date men they like, period. I did notice the commercial, because it reflects my own home and I don't see that often. Your statement is simply a poor reflection on you.

June 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabriel

LoL, that's pretty funny, and now that i think about it, i don't think i've ever seen a white woman date an Asian man, well except in the walking dead!

June 7, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Hi, you've now met one

June 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • WASP

@shawn: then please explain my wife? i'm european ancestory and she is african ancestory; care to wager on my "endowment" based off of your above comment?
      humans are not created equal, we are created special in our own right. 🙂

June 7, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  61. Deanna

I think the commerial was funny. The little girl was so cute and adorable. Orphan Annie has nothing on her. Way to go Cherrios! Love it and look forward to more great commerials.

June 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

Since I'm going to the store, I think I will put "Cherrios" on my grocery list.

June 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Benita

America needs to calm down. Don't people realize that most commercials and advertisements feature mixed-raced children? Where do you think all those curly bouncy curls come from? What is the problem with showing where these kids come from and celebrating our diversity?

June 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pearl

I think the commercial is great. What I am interested to know is why we haven't heard a peep about other multi-racial couples on television, Modern Family, or couples who are gay raising families, The Fosters'. Am I just not in on the whole internet thing or have we accepted some types of couples but not others?

June 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Louis

Kudos for Cheerios and the other advertisers who are using multi-ethnic families in their ads! This is a much better and more accurate representation of what real families in America are like. Mom is ___ Dad is ___, all in love and making beautiful children.

I am not shocked that some people got upset here, shows that there are lots of bigots alive today, and amongst them many cowards who would spew hate online, but they wouldn't dare say in it person.

I am a white man (Jewish too) who married an amazing mixed woman of color (Chinese and Trinidadian), and our kids are stunningly good looking, and just as pleasant as any other kid on the block. I think this mixing pot will only continue to grow, and for those who can't handle it, just change the channel... and fade into obscurity with all of your racist friends.

Those who hate this are social dinosaurs, we'll only have to put up with you for a few more years

June 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  64. MelissaD

It's marketing. Plain and simple. There is a growing target market of interracial families and companies need to reach out to that market. This commercial works!! It's getting our attention!! We are all talking about it, aren't we? Success for Cheerios!

June 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  65. RC

Another troll. Don"t feed it!

June 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  66. kvanderkin

I am a parent of a mix child and I think it is great that my child can see someone like her on TV.

June 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

I sure wish there was a THUMBS UP for your comments.

June 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Janet Davis

I'm surprised so many people are "in a lather" over this. It's a commercial depicting an American family (with an ADORABLE little girl) at the breakfast table.

If interracial marriages aren't your "thing" here's a thought: Change the channel when this or any other commercial that is similar come on.
    Easy. Simple. Manageable. And a whole lot nicer than heading off to the Internet blasting and posting your "opinion" (READ: hateful racial bias/slurs/threats).
    In my opinion it doesn't matter if the person you love is white, black, brown, tan, pink, yellow, ecru, red, orange, purple or green. What matters is that you love them, they love YOU & that you both treat 1 another with honesty & respect. Because besides that, does anything else really matter?
    I'd also like to point out that the little girl, besides being absolutely PRECIOUS, is 100% without fault of any kind here. Even those of you who oppose interracial unions must agree with me. How in the world could you toss around racial slurs when looking into the face of such an innocent creature? She didn't have anything to do with her parents getting together & I would put money on it that she could care less that mom is white & dad is black. I bet she wouldn't even think about it until some of the less than gracious people leaving "comments" (READ: hate filled diatribes) pointed it out to her. Children aren't born thinking such things, they don't come out of the womb hating anything, they don't have racial bias, gender bias, NONE OF IT. It's people that obviously DO have a race bias that they broadcast quite loudly I'll add, THEY are the 1's at fault. A mixed race child wouldn't think twice about his/her heritage, he/she certainly wouldn't think negatively of it, until something or someone makes them think they should.
    Behaviors are learned. Children don't automatically know these things. They learn them from parents, siblings, friends & teachers. They mimic what they see & hear so I think it's past time for a lot of you "so-called ADULTS" to start acting like it. You want to have a civilized conversation about interracial marriage? That's acceptable, just leave your preconceived ideas, hateful remarks & racial slurs at the door. And don't forget, children, this isn't their fight, (as if it actually IS ONE) so behave like the "adult" you claim to be & leave them out of this......

June 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  68. JonfromLI

The father could be any American athlete, movie star, or singer. It's entirely believable. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

June 4, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Colorado

Exactly. He wouldn't be mistaken for a rocket scientist or a plumber...only an entertainer of some sort.

June 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • emskadittle

or he could own a business or just work for one, like anyone else.

June 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Nancy

I don't have an opinion regarding this ad other than white, black, purple, or green, as per the norm for most families, the mom is up, awake, and sharp, and the man is sacked out doing NOTHING.

June 4, 2013 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Most Dads that I know are home and doing a lot to help out. In many cases they do they do a majority of the work around the home. I think your idea of the "norm" is just wrong.

June 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Squiggly

If u listen to the commercial, the kid asks if cheerios is good for daddy's heart...she pours the cheerios on his heart...cant do that standing up!

June 5, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  70. Pat

One of the insurance companies (State Farm?) also has a commercial with a mixed-race family but this couple is Asian and black. I wonder why there isn't the same kind of outrage here? Personally, I'm glad to see reality reflected on TV and will be happier still when all the people aren't beautiful and thin.

June 4, 2013 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Anne 112

Probably because neither is white so the white racists don't care. Niothing gets white supremacists in a lather like a white bloodline being sullied by a person of color.

June 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sistercounselor

Very powerful, DEEP and insightful comment. I concur.

June 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  71. millscp

I don't understand this world. We have homeless people all over the US, children that go hungry in the US, people without jobs, really mentally sick people lashing out everywhere, terrorism both here and abroad, and people are getting upset about a bi-racial family commercial? Red blood runs in all of our veins regardless of the color of our skin. Get over yourself people!

June 4, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  72. inthemiddle

I saw this add many times and didn't even notice it was a multi-racial family until the news pointed it out. Did that many people really have a problem with it or is this just a bunch of news hype? I wish people could understand that you are only giving the racists a forum to spread their hate by hyping this up.

June 4, 2013 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  73. Donald

So we determined that this add made a real stir because people left some nasty comments on huffington post? Thats a solid argument. Or perhaps the media is trying to make an other race related article again... I wonder

June 4, 2013 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven Cameron

Yes, of course the media is trying to inflame the controversy. They thrive on controversy. That's why tabloids are so popular. People want to know what's wrong with the world. Then they can respond in comments like this and say what they think is right. We wouldn't even know that we hated each other if it wasn't for the media.

June 4, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

The white supremacist posts weren't made on Huffington Post, they were made on YouTube where the ad appeared.

June 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  74. crabman1

race color planet what ever should never matter-if your happy thats all that should matter - unfortunate that people still think color should divide -- we all bleed red and breath =

June 4, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  75. VVVVV

The world is a big place with people with different opinions on everything. If the news wants to make this an issue it can. But it's only news because the news decided it was news.

June 4, 2013 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • millscp

Very well said!

June 4, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  76. SDRich

This poitical correctness has gone too far. Tonight I saw an ad where a red M&M left a party arm-in-arm with a red-headed, white model. That can only lead to one thing: pink M&M's!!!! .And we all know that real men don't eat pink M&M's. I think a boycott is in order.

June 4, 2013 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Sally

I beg to differ. REAL men can eat and wear anything they choose. They are comfortable with who they are.

June 4, 2013 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Jiminy

Oh sure you say that!
        You probably thing that disgusting Kermit/Miss Piggy relationship is acceptable! 🙂

June 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. DON

As long as mortal humans live on this planet, so will racism and bigotry exist. Mankind looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. All are guilty of some degree of racism or bigotry.

June 3, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

Racism is NOT inevitable, and can be overcome. I'm tired of the religious mantras of "These problems will always be with us", which totally absolve believers of any responsibility to work towards bettering society. There is no god, or at least there is no credible evidence of one. So let's make the world better ourselves, instead of waiting for Sky-Daddy to fix it or to end it.

June 4, 2013 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Steven Cameron

Let's start by making our country a better place, or our state, or our city. Let's start with common civility. Let's start with picking up the trash on the sidewalks. Let's start by acting like responsible citizens instead of animals.

June 4, 2013 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
      • spud

I see you are doing your part by insulting anyone who does believe in God. Keep up the good work.

June 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ohmygod50

Why is this even an issue? Beautiful child. Beautiful parents. DUH. DUH. DUH. People who object to this as deserve to get seriously ill. Quickly. Rid society of these mental trolls. Please. Now.

June 4, 2013 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  78. History

When will we stop scratching the surface and accept and deal with the facts about us all. http://wordbuzzing.blogspot.com/2012/11/history-in-real-time.html

June 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Karen

My plan is that we all buy Cheerios this week and donate them to a food pantry. We need to fight back against prejudice and narrow minded people. We can show that there are far more people in America with open hearts and minds.

June 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jon

Why did I even read this? Maybe it is a generational gap...If I wanted to watch a cereal commercial I would have wasted money on cable. Good play for cheerios. Now they have a general commercial and everyone saying "cheerios" because they want us to believe we've never seen a mixed couple

June 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  81. open minded

They should have featured a white and asian interracial family. And no racist comments would have been made.

June 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. holam

it was a cute commerical and I hate for the little girl that so much drama is surrounding it. Baby, you were great and I hope you are in many more commericals. Good luck.

June 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Ken

I saw the commercial and the first thing that struck me was that adorable child. Being in an interracial marriage myself , I know that there are plenty people who don t like it. In fact, I would say that gay marriage is more acceptable in this country than interracial marriage.

June 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • rh

Let alone atheists who marry and raise their children atheist. We are mixed race and atheist, but lookly mostly white so therefore look Christian. Passing all the time....

June 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ronald Reagan

Appearance/Perception is everything

June 5, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  84. abbydelabbey

We live in a very diverse society, a multi-racial society. Some folks need to shed their prejudices and get a grip on reality. Shameful that this is even a "controversy." We are ALL God's children.

June 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

I wish I could give you a "Thumbs UP". When I was a little girl, we sang a song in Sunday School about how "Jesus loves all the little children" and how "all are precious in his sight" – then you have the religious right people who go to church, sing about Jesus and can't seem to get racism out of their hearts

I hate hypocrites. That is why I no longer attend church.

June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ronald Reagan

People find what they look for. It sounds to me like you've looked for hypocrites and racism in church and have therefore found that. I bet if you were looking for a message of peace, love, and brotherhood you would find that in church too. I'm not even a Christian, but I see a HUGE generalization made here about millions of people that is based likely on only a few examples.

June 5, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  85. Jennifer J

Much ado about nothing, as many of you have stated. Not sure where this commercial has been airing, but in southern California where I live, I've been seeing commercials featuring racially mixed families. Its nothing new here. I don't get what the "stir" is.

June 3, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Joe

honestly if you find any thing racist about this commercial then you yourself are racist. I don't care if you are black, white, asian whatever. There was nothing racist about this commercial. If you are that bothered by seeing an interracial couple on TV then that is your own personal problem that you need to address yourself. All I got from this was a commercial about Cheerios. Nothing more nothing less. This uproar just shows that racism is still alive and well in this country.

June 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Well Joe, I don't think that anyone has said that the commercial itself is racist. I think you mean that some people have a racist reaction to it but you do not.

June 3, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe

the fact that this is even being discussed is stupid to me. People in this country are just too caught up on race. I mean I get it this country has a very racist history one of the worst in the world. But at the same time it annoys the hell out of me that in this day and age something as simple as this gets tagged as news worthy. I mean our president is freaking biracial so why are people shocked at seeing a mixed couple on TV?

June 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck wagon

That was pretty clear and couldn't have said it better. We people, are actually the most intelligent animal of all the animals. Isn't that ironic? I'd like to know how much destruction all the other animals have contributed to the problems people face around the world.

June 4, 2013 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • kitty

Agree with you

June 4, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  87. Mamaw of 7

This is a very sweet commercial, Mom and Dad and daughter together. This has people making rude and hateful comments, yet they don't have a problem with gays in commercial;s or on primetime TV shows!!? There is something terribly wrong with this world...

June 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Uh Oh, you opened up a whole new session for anger management. Now that Gay Marriage is the de facto law of the land for all intents and purposes, The commercial could have the kid say "Dad 1, Dad 2 says that Cheerios are good for your heart...

June 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

And why would there be anything wrong with Dad 1 and Dad 2? Or with a mixed-race Mom 1 and Mom 2? Or with a straight white Mom and Dad and kid? Or a straight black Dad only? Why are people so hung up on this crap?

June 4, 2013 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
      • Dh

Because unfortunately some people want to go back to 1960 when certain people thought they were superior over other people. Thank god they are in the minority.

June 4, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  88. Amanda

Jesus Christ people! Why is there so much hate about a mixed family?

The commercial was adorable – this little girl just wants her father to be "heart-healthy." I don't see what a mixed-race couple has to do with politics, or racism, or hate. It's just a cereal commercial...

June 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

OK, I've had enough. It's not about the commercial anymore, it has degenerated into left versus right rhetoric. Angry minds are not rational minds, so there is no point. As far as the commercial goes... as Jackie Robinson and Mohammed Ali said, "Eat your Wheaties!"

June 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Amanda

I think it's degenerated to a level even lower then that. In my opinion, this whole discussion is what happens when people can't handle the idea of the media portraying anything but "pure" race families.

June 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

Yes and not a very good commercial either. No self respecting progressive vegan sandal wearing millennial Whole Foods shopper would allow that processed sugar product in their bicycle basket. All the kid wants is a McDonald's Happy Meal.

June 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  89. George

Well, yes, you are indeed that.

June 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  90. George

I will be switching to Cheerios now.

June 3, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Squeezebox

The commercial shows an endangered species – the nuclear family. A mother, daughter, and father living together under the same roof is becoming more and more rare each day. Sad.

June 3, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Bill

Cheerios jumping on the interracial bandwagon. Once Hollywood starts the trend – no matter how rediculous – there are always idiots who follow suit.

June 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • freeme10

Interesting spelling of ridiculous, but anyway.

June 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK72

What "trend"? Interracial couples have been around a long time, producing interracial children. So what? They are just people.

June 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  93. sly

Nazi's believe in White Superiority, and they get very upset seeing Cold Cereal ads.

See – most skinhead/TeaBag types dropped out of school in the 7th grade, and have been subjected to insults about their lack of intelligence since then. This makes them very angry and violent, so they try to find a social or religious or racial group that they can insult, which makes them feel better about everyone else pointing out how ignornant they are.

June 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkD

Your lame and insulting attempt to lump fiscal conservatives with self-professed racists is ignorant and offensive. I'm not a joiner, but I'm in favor of governments living witin their means, just as I do. Save the racist insult, I've been married to a woman of another race for over three decades now. Next time stick with "look at me, I'm cool." it's equally juvenile, but less offfnsive.

June 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Rebecca

I'm a college-educated white woman in love with a college-educated black man. If and when we decide to get married and have children, this commercial represents exactly what our family will look like. How does that affect anyone else? It doesn't. Kudos to Cheerios for making a lovely commercial and not backing down in the face of ignorance and hatred. You may have lost some customers, but you've gained some, too.

June 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timodeus

If you look at some of the comments under yours, you'll see that ignorance and hatred are not a monopoly of one side.

June 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Just because you are a moron doesn't mean Cheerios is right.

June 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

From where I come from, I see nothing wrong with this. Whats the issue again?

June 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

I agree Rebecca. I am also a white college-educated woman in a relationship with a college-educated black man. We just got engaged actually. When I saw the commercial, I said to him, “we may have a little girl that looks like that some day.” It is nice to see a major name brand like Cheerios featuring an interracial couple since it a fairly common thing today. Whether black and white, Asian and white, or whatever the color, you love who you love.

June 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

What does being college-educated have to do with it? Does it somehow legitimize your mixed-race relationship? Does that mean you regard less-educated mixed race couples as somehow inferior, or "accidental" and irresponsible? Seriously, think about it.

June 4, 2013 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  95. KAS

I don't watch commercials so never knew this existed.

June 3, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Tam

There is too much issues when it comes to this issue. Some blacks hate blacks but they love whites. Some hispanics hate hispanices but love whites. A test was done on little blacks children with different dolls. These kids were asked "what dolls looks the best", the black children picked the white dolls; the white children picked the white dolls. So you see, in the black community, there are still problems of self hate. Even with some blacks who interracial date, many of these blacks will make bigot comments about their own black people as if to justify why they are with whites. This is the black community is STILL dealing with today. This is why I say, this issue is BEYONd some commerical. I have heard blacks say someone is "too dark". I look at Model Alexis Wreck who is a beautiful woman but many blacks think she is ugly but think Halle Berry and Beyouce is pretty. WHy is that? This is where the race get stirs up in the black community. Sorry but some blacks date whites because they think that makes them "better" (until they get into trouble, then these blacks run back to the black community for support). I have heard many black men say "black women are this and that (as if white women are push over and submissive) and they do not want to deal with black women. It is rare for black women to do this towards black men. Again, this is a deeper issue than this cereal aid.

June 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie Williams

Great points. Unfortunately, you are absolutely right..

June 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onesimus

It's unfortunate how inaccurate your argument is. I've heard white people complain of being too pale and wanting a tan. No need to be one sided ...for every black person in an interracial relationship, there is a non black person in that same relationship. And I hope you aren't referring too that outdated doll study that was done before black dolls were even mass produced. White males have been marrying interracially since before they allowed other races to even look at white women. People just can't get over the fact that some people just follow their hearts. Tsk...

June 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Palmer

Wow…The old White Women are pushovers argument. Well, as a Black Man married to a White Woman, I have never felt the need to justify my relationship. She is whom I fell in love with. Plain and simple.
      Growing up, I dated women of all cultures and I never thought about what anyone would say. We give other people way to much power in our lives.

June 4, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  97. Bonny

I thought the barrier was broken after The Jefferson's featured a mixed race couple.

June 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tam

And some people though racism would end and blacks would be living better when President Obama became President? Did it happen? NO.

June 3, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Cameron

I am deeply troubled by these comments. I do not believe in labels but I have to say that as I read through these comments, the liberals seem to be making the most vicious, "my way or the highway" comments. I don't understand. My best friend is a Jewish liberal from New York City, but he is an old guy like me. We love each other like brothers, but fight like cats and dogs. So when did that end and all the hatred begin? Dialog is better than Argument (that is a liberal notion invented by Socrates). No one ever wins an Argument. Everyone goes home feeling the same way. A dialog is a conversation with the intention of solving a problem. It is the origin of the Dialectic. Our leaders are to blame. They are the traditional "Rabble-rousers". They are millionaires living in mansions with their hands out for our tax dollars. If you are "Progressive" in the 19th century definition of the word, (get rid of the crooked politicians), you would kick them all out and start with a new slate.

June 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Yakman2

Laughed....Funny!!!!! Good for General Mills....!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Common Sense

Got to love the drivel of Cultural Marxist.

June 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  100. ksiner

Wonder how many of the people making racist comments vote Teapublican? They simply hate anyone that isn't a rich straight white christian male

June 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Cameron

The Democratic Party knows it has the black vote in its pocket so they always harp on how racist the Republicans are. I am an old guy and remember the 50s when the Southern Democrats were the racists and KKK members. Belonging to a political party does not automatically make you a racist. If you are a fair minded reasonable person, your label does not matter.

June 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • J-Man

Teapublican? You are ignorant and a racist. The Tea Party stands for less government, lower taxes and more freedom. Not sure where you get racism out of that. It was the southern Democrats that tried to stop the civil rights movement that was started by Abe Lincoln and continued on by Republicans. It wasn't until the Democrats thought they would get more political power by enrolling large amounts of minorities in government assistance. This has only served to keep many minorities in the projects instead of pulling themselves out.

June 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |