Opinion: The importance of ‘Loving’ in the face of racism
June 12 is the anniversary of Loving v. Virginia, the 1967 Supreme Court decision that struck down all laws against interracial marriage
June 12th, 2013

Opinion: The importance of ‘Loving’ in the face of racism

Editor's note: June 12 is the 46th anniversary of Loving v. Virginia,  which made interracial marriage legal in the United States.  Thousands of people nationwide celebrate that anniversary as “Loving Day'.  Ken Tanabe is the founder and president of Loving Day, an international, annual celebration that aims to build multicultural community and fight racial prejudice through education. He is a speaker on multiracial identity, community organizing and social change through design.

By Ken Tanabe, Special to CNN

(CNN) - Racism is alive and well in 2013, and what’s striking is the recent notable examples aimed at interracial couples - or one of their children.

Even breakfast cereal commercials aren’t safe. A recent Cheerios ad depicting an interracial couple and their multiracial child got so many racist remarks on YouTube that the company had to disable the comments.

There is nothing out of the ordinary about the commercial, except that the parents happen to be an interracial couple.

But the truth is, racially blended families are becoming more ordinary every day, due to the 1967 Supreme Court decision that declared all laws against interracial marriage unconstitutional.

Opinion: Two different marriage bans, both wrong

Today is the 46th anniversary of that decision, and one in seven new marriages in the United States is interracial or interethnic.  Multiracial Americans are the fastest-growing youth demographic.

Number of interracial couples in U.S. reaches all-time high

While the negative comments about the Cheerios commercial made it newsworthy, there were also many others who showed their support for the Cheerios brand.

Multiracial Americans of Southern California, a multiethnic community group, started a Facebook album for people to post photos of themselves holding a box of Cheerios. And in articles and in social media, supporters expressed gratitude to General Mills for depicting a multiracial family.

The weddings of two multiracial couples from high-profile families also prompted racist comments online. Lindsay Marie Boehner, daughter of House Speaker John Boehner, married Dominic Lakhan, a black Jamaican man. And Jack McCain, son of Sen. John McCain, married Renee Swift, a woman of color.

The reaction to these marriages is reminiscent of the response to the marriage of Peggy Rusk – the daughter of then-Secretary of State Dean Rusk – and Guy Smith, a black man. In 1967, their interracial marriage was a cover story, several months after laws against interracial marriage were struck down.

Things have changed since then, but not enough.

In a 2011 Gallup poll, 86% of Americans approved of “marriage between blacks and whites.” In 1958, the approval rating was 4%. But it makes me wonder: What do the other 14% of Americans think? Apparently, many of them spend a lot of time leaving comments online.

The election of Barack Obama inspired many of us to hope that widespread racism was a relic of the past.

And while he was elected to a second term, we must not be complacent when it comes to racism in our daily lives. We must seek out opportunities to educate others about the history of our civil rights.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. wished that his children would “one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” I wonder what he would think of our collective progress as the 50th anniversary of his "I Have a Dream" speech approaches.

On  June 15, the 10th annual Loving Day Flagship Celebration in New York City will draw an expected 1,500 guests. And while many participants are multiracial, anyone can host a Loving Day Celebration for friends and family, and make it a part of their annual traditions.

We need to work collectively to fight prejudice through education and build a strong sense of multiethnic community. If we do, one day we might live in a nation where the racial identities of politicians’ children's spouses are no longer national news, and cereal commercials are more about cereal than race.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ken Tanabe.

Posted by
Filed under: Ethnicity • Family • History • What we think
  1. Howard

Interesting observations, maybe even true. But the important question is, "Why?" legalTxn, what you're describing could be called "self-loathing." When you think about it, it really doesn't make any logical sense that so many people across the world would feel that way.

June 13, 2013 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. dikelmm1

In almost all "races" darker skinned men have much lighter woman. Check it out yourself. Look at Indians (South Asians), etc. For white men the preference is for blondes if skin is similar. However when white men are with "black" women, they often prefer darker-skinned women, who "black" men often find unattractive. Not sure why but check it out. This is not 100% but look around you.

June 13, 2013 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Heh

Yeah... I think the point you should be going after is how race doesn't matter, not that you're better than everyone else.

June 13, 2013 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Superior Hipster

Met a woman who was told her daughter was misbehaving (she was in elementary school) *because* she was "mixed." By a school faculty member. Yeah.

June 13, 2013 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Howard

Ignorance is tolerable; stupidity is forever.

June 13, 2013 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Prescribed Order

The child was most likely having problems because of home conditions. Mixed couple are not superior to any other and if you are ever around one unnoticed, you would see the issues – which are sometimes more disturbing than A NATURAL family.

June 13, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
      • FiveLIters

Perhaps I read the original poster's comment too fast,but...where did they say that "mixed race couples are superior" to any other couples? And what exactly is a "natural" family? As opposed to what,a "supernatural" family? An "unnatural" one?
        Geez,no wonder articles like this need to exist....

June 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Courtney

I'm sorry? A "natural" family? What in the world does that mean? I'm pretty sure my family is just as natural as anyone else's. Natural love, natural respect and caring. Geeze!

June 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Thomas Fox

That was well said and unfortunately very true.

June 13, 2013 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. gorgegirl

Good post. You hit the nail on the head. Teaching your children that it is what is in a person's heart on the inside is all that matters is the most important thing you can teach your child. And by making remarks against another race is what tells them "they are an unacceptable group – no matter how much he has loved playing with Johnny".

And yet, I was proud that at one high school, this generation decided they would no longer have segregated Proms. Yes, there is a lot of hope for the next generation.

June 13, 2013 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. The HaterNation Show

To think just because the president is multiracial suddenly things would get better in terms of race relation is simple-minded and naive.

June 13, 2013 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • chris

well, nobody ever said it would, and you have the cause & effect backwards. The idea is that the election of a mixed-race President is the RESULT of the progress, not the cause.

June 13, 2013 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Thomas Fox

I think God made different species because He wanted them to be different, unique. A bird is a bird, right...but a robin cannot reproduce with a sparrow...it's hard to refute that argument.

June 13, 2013 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • A Biology Teacher

Biologically speaking, two members of different species can reproduce. That is not the case with inter-racial children seeing as both parents are members of the same species. Mules are the result of a horse and donkey mating and two mules can't mate with each other to produce another mule, they are infertile due to having an odd number of chromosomes. What makes two organisms different species is that they can't mate together to produce fertile offspring.

June 13, 2013 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Actually Thomas, a Robin can reproduce with a Sparrow just like a Labrador can reproduce with a Poodle. You argument is flawed in that you assume that people of different races or ethnicities are not of the same species. Basic biology proves you wrong. Now go back to school!

June 13, 2013 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Lynne_in_Canada

Actually, not only is it impossible for a robin (a type of thrush, with thrushes being a group of Passerine bird species) to produce offspring with any kind of sparrow (a separate group of Passerine bird species), most kinds of sparrows are incapable of crossing between themselves. For example, an Ipswitch sparrow can't mate and produce young with a White-throated sparrow. They generally don't even cross with the much-more-closely related Savannah sparrow.

You seem to be thinking of colour phases, rather than species. For example, a gyrfalcon may be white with black speckles, grey with black speckles, or black. A grey gyrfalcon can mate with a white gyrfalcon, and produce healthy youngsters.

A gyrfalcon can't mate with a Savannah sparrow any more than a horse can mate with a cat,... even though horses and cats are both mammals and gyrfalcons and Savannah sparrows are both birds.

June 13, 2013 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • america is great

nah, you are wrong, it's easy,God reigns supreme....

June 13, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Georgia

There's only ONE species and that is the human species and God wants ALL his species to love each other. Perhaps not your God but that is who my God is.

June 13, 2013 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Thomas Fox

Your comment tells me your insecure, undereducated, arrogant and condenseding. Good luck to your white husband.

June 13, 2013 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Paulwisc

If they're doing that, it's still racist. But I'm pretty sure it's just bigots basking in anonymity.

June 13, 2013 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Guy

Have you ever played an online game that allows for uncensored chatting?

Essentially the same thing going on.

June 13, 2013 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Correct

It's not the differences in race. It's the differences of species.

June 13, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Paulwisc

You apparently flunked high school biology.

June 13, 2013 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Georgia

NO! You fail.

June 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. human

Human... one day, that word will mean something. Race... one day, that word will be meaningless. Unfortunately those days will not be today, or soon. We as a "species" have refused to move forward. We have refused to learn from the mistakes of the past, and have only created new ones. Nobody is safe from this ignorance, and we will all suffer because of our lack wisdom. This festering wound of racial ignorance will never heal itself. It will continue to grow, painfully. And we, thinking ourselves to be more enlightened than our ancestors, will continue to turn a blind eye trying to ignore the pain of our past mistakes. We are not ready to move on as a species. We prove it everyday. Whether if it's just pointing our petty fingers at each other, or pointing guns, we are dooming ourselves. Point of fact, our species is the only one, the only living creature that has ever existed on this soil, to ever hate. And we claim ourselves to be in God's image? How ignorantly arrogant are we? I think I'll watch some racially biased reality television to get my answer. Why not, we all do.

June 13, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Zedsdead

Well said my friend. Ignorance and arrogance..............there is a boat load floating around here.

June 13, 2013 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Luetta Beninghaus

You are right, Have explained exactly what I was thinking!

June 13, 2013 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Charles

I think we've come a long way. There was a time when they would destroy a black man if he was with a white woman. Now a days couples like this hang out with other couples that are white.

June 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shaniqua

Foolish people, it isn't the color of ones skin the incites racism.....it is the stupidity of their actions. It is the craziness of one race to have 22 kids by 14 different women. Get it? If the shoe fits wear it. Besides throwing up the ignorant view that the judicial system is racist, it isn't......why is one ethnic group over 50% of the inmates in our U.S. jails today? Fix the culture of that group and maybe racism wouldn't be so rampant. Don't be a hater, fact over fiction.

June 13, 2013 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • angela Birch

men who find stupid women come in all races. Yup there are black men who have many children by many women, there are also white men who have lots of children by many women. There are hispanic men who have lots of kids with many woman and there are people of all races who do it. IT is a question of unsocialised men and stupid women and they come in all colors.

June 13, 2013 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
      • Charles

My former boss was white and he's had 4 wives and kids by all of them, actually he was not married to two of them. But if you're white it is okay.

June 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lovingtoday

Here's an idea. YOU stop hating. Teach your kids to not hate. Don't spread hate and just live with other people as though every person has the right to exist. Just don't hate.

June 13, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. billfitt

Then you are a complete and total i di ot for letting one old man's opinion sway your vote! Don't you realize that there are black, white, brown, yellow, and red Archie Bunkers all over this country? That thought process is not isolated to one race! Geez...our school system must really su ck these days!

June 12, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Guy

People treat the comments section of a youtube video seriously? Does nobody realize that comments are usually just a slight grade above bathroom graffiti in terms of representation of the author?

In all seriousness the racist comments were probably all from trolls, doing it for the shock factor and trying to get a reaction that all these comments and this article provides. Never underestimate the depths to which a troll will stoop just for some reaction.

June 12, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Theseus

I can't believe racism still exists in this country, but then, I suppose stupidity is as strong as ever.

June 12, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ken Margo

I can see why CNN's ratings are in the toilet! The amount of needless censorship here is ridiculous!

June 12, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cort

I'm a black woman married to a bi-racial man and we have 3 kids. I'm a darker complextion than my husband and our 3 kids. I have to agree wtih some of the posts, that blacks seem to give me more grief than whites. Sure i've been called the N word and other things by white people but have ever endured as much racism as I have from 'my own people'. When in school, none of the black guys my color liked me because, and i've been told this many times – they preferred light skinned girls. I have dealt with many a 'you are cute to be dark skinned' comment – and these fools thought it was a compliment and that I'd be interested after hearing that sort of ignorance! When at baby shower – I had a lighter skinned black lady ask me where did i get my light skinned babies from?!?! I get looks all the time when I'm in public with my kids – I actually dont mind when white people come up to me and ask if their father is white. I figure they don't know that we come in different shades the way they have different eye an hair colors. Its when the black people ask me that I get irritated.

June 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken Margo

You should get mad at everybody. There's no such thing as acceptable ignorance. For those that thought you were too dark, your husbands gain is their loss.

June 12, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Candid One

It's no comfort but people of color, in general, will disparage intermarriage. Fortunately, that's not as common as fifty years ago but that's the way it is. Asians tend to disparage intermarriage, ethnic latinos tend to disparage intermarriage, and whites tend to disparage intermarriage. Disparagement is also a tendency when members of fundamentalist religions intermarry with a different religion, regardless of physical or ethnic differences. Somehow, the mixing is seen to diminish the disparaging group. Not sure how that works but...it is what it is. Fortunately, this is common but not universal.

June 12, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Noneya

I'm a white girl married to a man from India. We have a son together – he looks identical to my husband, only he's white. When we first got together and went to the "ethnic" parts of town (i.e. Indian grocery markets, restraunts in "their" communities), I found them to be the hateful ones who gave glaring stares. Now, i don't notice it because I could care less. When my husband goes to the Mosque to pray (yes – he is muslim and I am Catholic!) it is a big hook up place where those with daughters are looking to hook their daughters up with a US Citizen. When he tells them he is married and they find out I am white (they are very nosey and ask very personal questions!), they ask "why did you marry outside your culture - for a greencard??". He rarely goes to do prayers and mostly because of the BS he has to put up with from his own culture/race.

I will also say that when I grew up, my parents would now be considered very racist. It was very rare to see mixed-race couples and when you did, they were publicly taunted. As a teen, my parents would have probably sent me away if they thought I would date/marry another culture. Later on, however, my dad worked with many people of various races and was good friends with several – and loved learning about their cultures. Had he been alive when I married my husband, I am 100% sure he would have loved him and not had a single problem with it. My husband told me once that had his father been alive, he would NOT have been able to marry me as I was not Indian and it was not an arranged marriage. This is still very much a taboo in the Indian culture.

To each his own and it's truly what is in the INSIDE that counts - not the color of one's skin. Like many here, I am shocked this is still such a hot topic - or is it really?

June 14, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

You should figure out some really good responses, like: "simple, God made us that way. Why do you ask?" As a white person, I dated a black man for awhile. I found that the black women were rather hostile because he was a good looking guy. Never did any of my white friends think it was out of the ordinary. I guess it goes both ways though.

June 13, 2013 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • FiveLIters

What's funny is,I sympathize with you,but from a different perspective. As a light-skinned black male,I was pretty popular with both races growing up. I didn't get it,and just assume(d) it was my personality or style,as opposed to being this 'exotic' thing,in comparison to my darker-skinned friends. Fortunately,I went to a very mixed high-school and was exposed to all kinds of people,which I have always found fascinating. Sometimes,I think that people who grow up in a predominately one-race populated area simply don't have the exposure or education needed to effectively deal with others,and just don't have the coping mechanisms necessary to handle such interactions. Which is unfortunate,because you can learn so much from people who are not like yourself. Anyway,keep being yourself-who else can you be!

June 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lovingtoday

This is what I teach my children: As tough as it may be, kids, get to a point where you are not angered by hateful comments. Recognize your value and know your worth. If you crumple up a twenty dollar bill, how much is it worth then? Twenty dollars, because the value is intrisic. Not saying that people trying to hurt you is easy to swallow, but try to recoginze that the problem is theirs. I truly believe that one way to combat racisim is for the "victims" to not receive it. Somebody trying to devalue you does not value themselves. Again, getting your feelings hurt and being devalued are two separate things. Feelings are not the same as Worth.

June 13, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Dark skinned girls were picky. That was my experience with the dark skinned girls, when I was young and dating. They liked the light skinned guys. I thought the dark skin was a huge turn on. The darker the better. But I have to admit I liked skinny an dark, when it came to dark skinned. There was just something cool about it, sort of like Grace Jones. Could never get one of those Grace Jones types to go out with me. Maybe I was just a dweeb?

June 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Raymond D.

Wow! What is most surprising is the commercial reflects real life and people complain. People are People and that is the bottom line, be racist to your racist associates and leave the rest of us alone!

June 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Good ol' Dinosaurs

On a side note- consider that sometimes, dirty looks when you're a White guy dating a Black guy, vice versa, etc., the giver of these look scould be expressing his frustration: "Dang! Here I am single, can't get a date and there goes one less babe I'll never have a chance with!"

June 12, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Good ol' Dinosaurs

Correction: "A White guy dating a Black woman, vice versa, etc." Wait, maybe I retract the correction.

June 12, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • billfitt

Ouch!!!

June 12, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mibridab

The Bible says that from one man God created every nation of men and that God isn't partial , Genetic scientist say that all humans decended from on human couple so whether we like it or not we are all literally related brothers and sisters so get over it.

June 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribarian

I highly doubt people are going to just "get over it"

All that's going to happen now is everyone is going to be miserable because of all the resentment.

June 12, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Erin

I'm over it. I'm not wasting my one short life on resentment. Life's too short and I got too much to do.

June 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. HOPE - 333

To love someone of different race is as natural and normal as love is itself, between a man and a woman. It is not race that matters, it is the reason people marry!

June 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Redhott13

Get out! Life is so much better when you can just live peacefully with your choices. You can't change the culture of a whole town and the cops can, and will, make your life hell. Because they can and they are generally of the same mindset as the citizens. Trust me, I moved south and interacial marriages are not subjected to that treatment here. Best decision I ever made for my family.

June 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jason

who cares really. if you love someone its not anyones buissness

June 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Carlisliantransplant

I feel for you and your family... The sad irony of it all is where you live. Gettysburg. Three days of the bloodiest fighting in the western-hemisphere in the name of "freedom", supossedly. Here we are in 2013 and you and yours are going through what you are. I'd make mention of that in court as the 150th anniversary of the battle is July 1-3.

June 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. johnnysalami

I was expelled from a high school in 1965 because I dated a black girl. (NOTE: I was expelled from every high school in Syracuse = except the one from which I graduated – for various reasons). The reason was it was causing fights. I used to joke that Monday, Wednesday and Friday were for fighting white guys, Tuesday and Thursday for the brothers. Many years later I married a black woman and, frankly, I got more grief from black guys. The white guys were vocal, but the black guys wanted to throw hands.

June 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jez

Interesting. I, as a black woman who dates whom ever I want, and have no racial preference, find that men of "like" backgrounds, view women as chattel that they need to contron. Sorry about your having to fight so much, but your story sounds very "real". I hope things are chilling out for yoru and your girl, and that you are both very happy.

June 12, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • jez

OOPS! I spelled "control" as "Contron". My bad...

June 12, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Good ol' Dinosaurs

Some ( not all) people are stupid and ignorant. That said, a homely White or Black girl with a lousy personality is just that.
      A wonderful partner ( she may be a knockout)of any color is yours for the choosing in "The Land of The Free with a Sprinkling of Nitwits." That's of course if you're lucky enough not to live in a nitwit community.

June 12, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • billfitt

Yes, contrary to leftist popular opinion, the North tends to be more racist than the South. White or Black, I guess Southerners have just become more accustomed to the idea.

June 13, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
      • Paulwisc

Show some proof. We still get stories about separate proms in the south. It's highly unlikely you are correct.

June 13, 2013 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Steve

My Black wife and I (white) have been all over this world being in the Military. The worst place we have been as far as racism goes is Kansas City where we are now. West coast has been the most tolerant.

June 13, 2013 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. BobFromPA

to be something for other people not to worry about or have opinions on because it is there lives not yours!

June 12, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ImIrish

Joe -Making fun of those who live in trailer parks?!?!?! What kind of an "-ist' should we call you? Or, is it okay to make fun of those who may be less fortunate than you? Most people who live in trailer parks tend to be white, so are you prejudice against whites?!

June 12, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. sbp

Go back to Stormfront.

June 12, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bribarian

It's a historical fact empires die out that way, proven over and over again. But liberals are so stupid and gullible they cant see it.

June 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bribarian

I think that's all fine and good, but the reality is divisions are created now, and maybe I don't want to help or support multicults and multiracialists.

So I would rather not pay into that system.

June 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ImIrish

Ah, yes, spreading the love yourself, I see.

June 12, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Alexander

Nobody can get funding to do a study because proving that there are inordinately large numbers of black deadbeat dads would be racist. The same thing happened to researchers who were studying why most black schoolchildren perform one grade level below the average. Now THAT is a fact, and if you want proof, you are welcome to Google it.

June 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Julie

unfortunately, i believe u are right...people are more comfortable spewing their racism anonymously.

June 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JM

You know what else is a fact, a lot of people kidnapped human beings from another continent and brought them here to do all the work for centuries; they chained them, beat them, cross bred them, raped them, murdered them. They had kids off of them who they didn't bother claiming as their own 'children'. In their eyes, these children (who they fathered) were just half breed slaves who they also owned.

I love how we as a nation ignore that insane fact...and the following century/decade...and the continuing racism.

June 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erica Riebling

Wait !!!! Wait a minute !! Let me get my violin.

June 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

I can't believe this was supposed to be a Christian nation. What a joke. Slave owners sold their souls to the devil.

June 12, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexander

Slavery actually BEGAN in Africa, where tribes would fight, and the winners would enslave the losers. During slavery in the United States, many thousands of slaves were purchased from black slavers in Africa. Please study a little history.

June 12, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • media.fail2012

You're partially correct. However, slaves were almost never kidnapped as they were most often sold by other tribes who had them as slaves after conquering their village. I mean just think about it, you think they pulled their ship into port unloaded half the crew to wander into an unknown land for days (hoping no one raided the ship while they were gone) to risk their lives? Or do you think that they just traded with locals who had slaves already?

June 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. I Am God

How is he lying? I actually had a sister's friend come over one time and he started talking about how he and his friends beat up someone who was gay in the Marine Corp during Basic Military Training. I told him he had to leave and he had no right to do such a thing. He started shouting I was a gay lover and all that stuff as well.

June 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  36. I Am God

Talk about a false statement. I suggest you get out a little more. I have been with my wife for over 50 years and we have had wonderful children and grand-children, all of which have had successful lives in the business world.

June 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  37. PawgHunter

The main reason people won't do the whole dating outside of the race thing is they are scared of what society thinks. Take some of these girls& take them out of their hometown, they will get with men outside of their race. Get them back home and they'll act like they only go for one of their own.

June 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. one color only

There is only one color in this world. Green....Dont worry about other color. Money can solve all your racial issues..

June 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • LisaA

That is not how genetics work! A baby may be born much darker than his or her parents, taking after a grandparent or other relative. I have cousins whose parents were an interracial couple. They aren't all "light" because they took after the white parent! And, one has a child who is much darker than his mother!

June 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • goldkeeper

Keep your green, my choice is gold babee

June 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. GreggEsq2000

The problem is the same as it always will be. There will always be people out there who seek to validate their own existence by begrudging the existence and happiness of others. Having dated interracially and now being married to a woman of a different race, I have heard the snide comments when I've been out and holding hands with a former girlfriend. I assume that these are the same people who spend their time posting comments on message boards because they're all cowards and no one, not one single person, has ever had the courage to come up and make a remark to my face. So why should I let a bunch of cowards dictate how I should feel or who I should love?

June 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. AllForChange

Still cannot believe that people still feel this way about interracial marriage. I have three grandchildren who are bi-racial. If you don't want to deal with it, don't come around. Love is love, no matter what color, and they are loved.

June 12, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Red Wings

I don"t really get this constant need to promote interracial relationships. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not against it, but it just seems like everyone is obsessed with it. A great example of what I'm trying to say is that about 1 year ago, this really nice black woman ( who was a co worker of mine ) asked me out. She knew I was single so I told her the truth. I told her that I didn't date outside of my race. She reacted as if I called her the N word. What's wrong with me preferring women from my own race ? I'm not bothering anyone. How is that offensive ? Now that will be the measuring stick. If you don't date outside your race, it will mean that you're a racist ; and i'm just not on board with that.

June 12, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigB19

Red Wings, I wouldn't consider you a racist simply because you don't want to date outside of your race. It sounds to me like the lady you mentioned had been exposed to interracical dating and you aren't interested in that. Racist? No, not just for that reason.

June 12, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

good for u in being honest with her. i'm a black woman by the way.

June 12, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • EducatedAmerican

The fact that she (a black woman) asked you out shows that SHE didn't think you were racist. I think the comment about "different races" would lead ANYONE to believe that you are racist. There is only ONE race, the human race. Everything else is just a different ethnic group. I respect your decision to date within your own ethnic group. Dating outside of one's ethnic group can create problems with traditions, expectations etc. Marriage is hard enough without adding cultural/religious differences. That being said, I'm a happily married woman in an interracial marriage. As long as you don't have a problem with others being in interracial relationships, I don't see why you would consider yourself racist.

June 12, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fujikoma

I don't like fat women, but I wouldn't tell someone that if they asked me out because it would be rude. Just leave it at, 'you're not my type' and call it good. I don't know if it's the colour or features that bother you, but it's your choice. I've dated different 'races' (though we're all the same race) because I love different types of facial features and skin colorations. I'm shallow when it comes to body fat, but like I said, just put it as a type thing, because colour isn't something that someone can change while personality is. If they ask what it is, then just say you're picky. I prefer six foot tall Asian women, so it's easy for me to make that claim, even though I married a native American/black woman. It leaves the other person with the understanding that there isn't something wrong with them.
      I'd say go Wings (from Michigan), but the Griffons would be more appropriate at this time.

June 12, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • billfitt

I've had the same experiences, but if they're hot, I say yes.

June 13, 2013 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Kenchandammit

Ha! Red Wings would never go out with a woman of another race no matter how steamy smoking hot she is. And not because he doesn't find her attractive, but because she's the wrong race.

June 13, 2013 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

Red wings – she simply asked you out -. She didn't ask you to marry her. While your response was straight forward, it could have come across as being racist.. There isn't anything wrong with saying 'I value your friendship but I'm just not attracted to you as anything else but friends."

June 13, 2013 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Heh

No, you're not being racist. I have to tell that to black guys all the time, and they always pull the race card. I just say, hey, I don't like white guys either. And you can't help who you're attracted to.

June 13, 2013 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • F. Lee Hall III

The exact same thing happened to me Red Wing. I expressed the same reservation as you with no offense meant or intended. Only difference is that she labeled me a racists, spread rumors, then tried to have me roughed up by some hood rats. I only declined her invitation because of my personal beliefs for myself, how I wanted to live my life. I could care less what anyone else wants to do or does, so long as no one gets hurt, who gives a damn.

June 13, 2013 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • MelT

Nah, you were not racist at all because your preference is your own. But her reaction comes from her being hurt by the rejection and she associates your rejection of her with her thinking she is not "good enough or as good". This is what I'd bet as a black woman, myself. Next time, you may want to chose another way of saying no (if you want to, but the choice is yours) just to recognize that there may be a certain sensitivity. But you are not being racist at all.

June 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Joe

Why is this even news when everyone knows racism exists? Oh yeah, because the news media never gets enough of rubbing people's faces in it.

June 12, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Naw, you don't pay much attention apparently. Racism is very common in any area that is not integrated whether that be the rural south, reservations, ghettos or Brighton Beach. But the face of racism in the media is normally white just like the face of poverty and welfare is normally black or hispanic. The media loves to stir the race pot and cause resentment.

June 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • TxNita

But you have to admit that they would not bait if we would not bite. Have you ever noticed an article that had nothing to do with race, usually draws comments that evolve into racist rants. Let's face it, this country is boiling with racial tension only because we want to appear as America the Right, most of us will never admit it.

June 12, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Daily Llama

Most racists – pick a color – have clearly married outside their own species: Intelligent, tolerant souls. Ignore and isolate them. They'll die off ....

Meanwhile, find the partner you truly love – and get married. Or not.

Just live, love – and be crazier happy than you could possibly imagine!!!!

(I practice what I preach, BTW!)

June 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • upsidedownsnail

I was unaware people not only married, but had offspring with different species...

June 12, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Dave

Racism is actually worse now in some ways than it used to be. I think the diehard racists just got that much more adamant, angry and stupid.

June 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mark

I think the statistic is probably higher. I bet a lot of people respnd to polls by saying what they think will make them look good, rather than how they really feel.

June 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  46. rich

I admit i'm not crazy about race mixingfor the sake of the kids...

June 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Am God

Why? Kids are fine. I am married to a wonderful lady that has a black mother and a white father.

June 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theseus

Well that certainly makes no damn sense at all!

June 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

My cousin and her husband decided not to have kids for that exact reason

June 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Good ol' Dinosaurs

Do you really "care" about someone else's bi-racial kids? Very doubtful. If you sincerely do,
      stand up for them, they're not going to go away.

June 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Hey, please don't worry about me, rich. I'm well adjusted and secure.

June 13, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. The Grimace

I see more white men with asian women than any other racial combination these days. Its all there is out in California.

June 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • From Toronto

definitely more in California than in any other place.

June 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Bill From Pittsburgh

Black men absolutely hate the fact that I'm engaged to a beautiful black woman. The looks that we receive , you would think that i was showing affection to a 6 year old girl in public. It's crazy. It used to really bother me at first, but now I find it funny. To think that I have that much effect on someone's mood is actually pretty cool. I ruined their day just by showing up in public.

June 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • gale

And yet where I am from it seems that black men want white trophy girls. I say if it's love then it's love no matter what color or nationality.

June 12, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Postman

He didn't say "all" at all.

June 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. theoldfool1950

You would be correct. But I think the idea is to try to take race out of the equation. Isn't that what people really want? Equal footing for all. There is no shortage of stupidity in this world. We have our fair share. A lot more than 14%. I believe that a lot of people answer the question the way they are "supposed to" answer it, not necessarily revealing their true opinion. Racists tend to be mostly people so low on the totem pole that they have to find someone that they can be "better than." I have seen it all my life (6 decades). The difference is just a matter of style and the advanced communications media available to us. It can make small people look big, but not be big.

June 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. us_1776

Racists, you're going to have to find yourselves a new planet.

Multi-racial marriages are everywhere now.

June 12, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sadie Blake

I am white=Irish/American; deeply in love for many years with Hispanic/American, aka Brown. Does that make me less desirable than anyone else. Love is COLOR BLIND..We both agree, and do not even think about it until someone asks me 'couldn't you find a white man; would none of them have you.' really hurts!

June 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiny Tim

Not all Hispanic people are "brown." Just sayin'. There are entirely white, "mestizo," mixed-race, black, and (yes, this may sound odd) even Asian Hispanics out there. "Hispanic" just means that an individual has roots in a Spanish-speaking country or a Spanish-speaking Latin American culture.

June 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • EducatedAmerican

Glad you left the "white man" alone- He's all mine 🙂 Sorry people are such insensitive dolts. We are an interracial couple and have been married 8 years. Before I met him, I always wondered how people in interracial relationships did it. Didn't they think ALL the time that the other person is (insert color here). And all the "stuff" that goes along with the sterotypical color? I wasn't against those relationships, I just didn't understand how the other person's color wasn't upfront in their minds all the time. Until I met my hubby. Now I understand! When you are in love, you are in LOVE with that person and you don't think about the color of their skin. You see them as a PERSON. I think that's the problem with those who are anti interracial relationships. They think they are better than others. Or maybe they are miserable and want to see others miserable. I think people should keep an open mind so they can FIND their love. It's true- love IS color blind, and that's the way it should be!

June 12, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarylandBill

I am fine with it.. as long as you agree to raise the kids Irish :).

June 14, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  52. Serious

Why is it that interracial articles always assume Blacks necessarily want to be with White people? Thats laughable.

June 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • I. Blankenship

Mrs. Colin Powell, Alma Vivian Powell, is a Black Woman. In case you didn't know that.

June 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Woody

I remember Clarence Thomas' wife sitting right behind him throughout the confirmation hearings.

June 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ed

How sad that after all these years we still have people ignorant enough to think that anyone who disagrees with them must be backward, unenlightened or just plain evil. And how sad (though not at all surprising) that CNN would perpetuate it with this opinion piece.

I have no problem with interracial marriage. There are burdens that come with that choice, to be sure, but I think it is entirely up to the individuals involved. One of my best relationships was with a woman of another race, and I still respect and miss her. (No, we didn't break up over race.) However, that doesn't mean that everyone who has a different opinion is a "racist."

There seems to be a school of thought shared by both the right and the left that if you can make your opponent out to be nasty or stupid you can win others to your point of view without really having to make your case. Call the president a socialist or an elitist or, perish the thought, a Muslim, and you're already well on your way to being better than he is. Call Romney privileged and out of touch, or Bush (the Yale graduate) stupid, and you're already winning. In your own mind, anyway.

Look, some of you think interracial marriage is just fine. Ok. As I said, I don't much care one way or the other. But that doesn't make those who disagree "racist." A person can have the greatest respect for people of all races, and believe them to be entirely equal, and still not believe intermarrying is a good idea. Quarrel with them over their reasoning, fine. But to put a hateful label on them because you don't agree with them is, itself, hateful.

June 12, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • harry101

Well said!!!

June 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

Ed,
      You are a wise man.

June 13, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  54. 1twinsfan

My husband is Hispanic, which is considered white due to the ancestry from Spain, and is as brown as comedian George Lopez. I am as white as wonder bread. Yay, Irish genes. For the most part, people don't care but the one member of his family that objected was his blind Uncle. Yup, the blind guy had a problem with it. You love who you love and as long as you're of a consenting age, it's no one else's business.

June 12, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  55. m123

Next on CNN, KKK members caught saying they do not like people of color
    Shocking!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Chris

Couldn't agree more

June 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  57. kickseek

Why do you think you should be the one to decide who is worthy of getting married? Shouldn't every mentally-capable adult be allowed to make that choice free of bigotry? Or should we have a government office interview every couple to make sure they are compatible according to your preferences? You may not think you're racist, but you are.

June 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. BukkakeJack

That is the stupidest statement I've read this week.

June 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. John

What a stupid comment...

June 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Josie

I was informed a while back by a 16 year old girl that I was racist because I have dated a black man nor will I. Now while I have friends of every race, even mixed races I personally have only dated a couple of them and blacks are not one. I just don't see how this person could judge me...then again her family is hispanic and she thinks whites treat all hispanics badly, and continues to remind us that she has a right to speak spanish at work (where it's not allowed due to the fact we have to many that cannot speak it working there)...and so on. Then again I have also been attacked for "ignoring black customers", being proud of the fact I am white and being proud of my heritage and culture (both American and my ancestors). Sorry but come on, get over it. It goes both ways and many times if I don't like a person it has nothing to do with the color of their skin, but everything to do with how they treat others.

June 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • snowboarder

people are attracted to different things. I am not in general attracted to features that would be considered black or Asian, though there are exceptions. it is not because I am racist, but because it is not attractive to me. I also don't date fat women, excessively tall or short women. big deal.

June 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Carlos

Have you noticed that whenever CNN runs stories about "interracial" matters, it always involves someone black? are there no Asians, Hispanics, Arabs, Indians (native Americans, and real Indians), etc in this country?? even statistically speaking, this blatant effort to makes us think that blacks are the only minority does not make sense, as Hispanics are 15% of the population, while blacks are 12%. Asian are invisible, etc etc.

June 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • snowboarder

Hispanic is not considered a race.

June 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • king knite

Excuse me smarty hispanic is not a race, it is a cultural inheritance from were someone perants or ancestor from. Ever heard of black hispanic or white hispanic?

June 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • snowboarder

never

June 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • billfitt

Major League baseball is full of Black Hispanics, so yes, I've heard of one.

June 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • billfitt

Pretty much the entire country of Spain is full of White Hispanics so I've heard of those too.

June 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • billfitt

So how come a White/Asian mix is not considered a race, while a White/Black mix is considered a black? Just how does that make sense?

June 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • snowboarder

I imagine progeny of mixed race may identify however they wish, probably based on prominent physical features.

June 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Chris

Isn't that funny how i state my reason for being who i am and it gets checked for moderation ? Just because its not something you like doesn't mean its wrong folks.

June 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  63. DetLuv

I find it more racist up north than in the south (most areas that I've been). I am a black woman engaged to a white man. Black men have a huge issue with that especially if we're walking down the street together or holding hands or showing any affection. But not worries! It's okay for a black man to have a white (or other ethnic) woman as it's standard. Down south we've been together and people say hello and we all go our own way. Here you will have someone actually jump in your face and call you the n word or him a white devil trying to take over the black race etc. Or they'll say something disrespectful if he's with me or not like forget him and come with me or can you have friends? 🙂 We're still going to get married.

June 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

I would have to disagree on your statement on North verses South, My father who is of mixed race, Black and American Indian, met and married my Mom a white woman, while he was stationed in Germany in 1955. When he returned to the States with my oldest sister, a baby at the time, he refused to be stationed in the South. At the time my father was a perceived black man of 47 yrs of age, I'm guessing he had endured his share of prejudice. and he knew it was not a good idea to live with a white wife in the south then, he chose to be stationed in the North, Massachusettes. I am the third of five children. I cant say that we didn't get to hear the oreo cookie jokes, that's par for the course, but all and all I had uneventful upbringing, and learned to accept the good and the bad of being part of an interracial family, our parents taught us well, to look past the ignorance and get on with our lives

June 12, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Timeshavereversed

Terry,

She is not talking about 50+ years ago... She is referring to the present-day. I've personally known Black males who preferred to "date" white females for reasons I cannot put into writing. But I've asked them their thoughts of their sisters dating a whte guy, and the conversation kinda went cold... Odd..

June 12, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • gorgegirl

I have to disagree with you on the North being more racist than the South. back in the mid-70's, my friends an interracial couple lived in the Northwest. He worked for a company whose home office was in Dallas Texas. He was flat-out told that the reason he didn't get a promotion that would have moved him to Dallas Texas was because of his interracial marriage. he sued Southland (7-Eleven), not for discrimination, but because they hadn't paid him his bonus or severance. And it was this dear friend who picked my new son and I up from the hospital after the little red-head had been born (his daddy was stuck in Alaska).

June 13, 2013 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Noneya

And interestingly in 2013, in Texas, there are more Hispanics than any other race/nationality!! Times have changed so much!

June 14, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  64. Dwight

Birds of a feather... Even in nature like tend to gravitate towards like. But we humans are humans no matter what the color. We are the human race. So diversity is good, but not isn't bad either. I am more comortable with white people, because culturally we are more alike, but then again some white people are so far away from my culture, that another race is more comfortable. I'm more alike and comfortable with some black people than some white people from the bogs of Louisiana or the hills of Arkansas.

June 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Chris

With news groups like CNN always trying say how racist america is and how you are racist if you do not agree with something, Its no wonder people are getting angry. These people need to go back and learn what real racism is.

June 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  66. 404notfound

Had a girlfriend in 1972 who was white, black and Indian...she was beautiful.
    I've never much cared what the rest of the world thinks.

June 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fromanotherplanet

Beautiful to look at huh, but not beautiful enough to marry as responsible humans are expected to do.

June 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • james

And now you will list the other possibilities of why they are not married....

June 12, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Heh

um... what?

June 13, 2013 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  67. billfitt

That would certainly lower divorces to a reasonable level.

June 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. cbp

Racism is alive and trying to resurface into headlines in the USA. It goes beyond black and white and includes Asians, American Indians, Indians. If you are the least bit different there are Americans who will react poorly. We have ntot learned to accept people for who they are and what they bring to society. It is coming to the fore in the South and will be an even greater part of the next election.

June 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  69. felimarie

I wouldn't be here without interacial love. My grandmother is black and polish, my grandfather was black and native american and my dad was black and puerto rican. We are quite a handsome family as well (you've gotta mix up those genes). My brother (black) just married a white woman who I love. And it is yet to be determined who I will end up with, but I don't care what their skin color is love is color blind.

June 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • You'd best not love your brother's new wife TOO much

Or your brother might not care you're his brother.

June 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Me

I used to date a black woman and got lots of dirty looks from black men. Black men dating white women get far fewer dirty looks.

June 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Notananimal

That's because everyone knows the truth of what it is all about. It is those that want to participate that want you to not call them – suspect.

June 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Dougals

So in other words, you are boiling the attraction down to "the grass is always greener" thinking...

Gee, all this time I thought I fell in love because "love knows no boundaries", and a 30 year interracial is now all reduced to a "failure" on my part to like "my own kind" enough.

Sorry, that's just crap. Worse yet, it's a pessimistic view in comparison to the optimistic reality that limitations of *any* kind are just that – limiting. Or to put it in similar form – your inability to love someone outside of your own race is clearly an indication that you have more artificial restrictions on love.

In other posts you call it unnatural and something that shouldn't be condoned. That is just pure filth, and crosses the line to bigotry when you suggest that it's a social malfunction. The social malfunction here is your opinion of what love should be, go back to the 18th century where you belong.

June 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  72. DS

So sad that in 2013 we still have race debates.... We are all created equal in the eyes of Mother Nature and I do believe it's good to be different.
    I am white and my fiancé is Asian and......... We love each other like everybody else.

June 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • EducatedAmerican

Congrats! My hubby is white and I am of Asian descent. Just celebrated our 8th anniversary.

June 12, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Enlightened

I think your main point is valid. A person can have self hatred and not even be aware of it. If the media rarely shows you in a positive light, if you're in a position to, you may choose to marry someone that you think will make you feel a little better about yourself. The point of the matter is that you have to love yourself (including your features and culture) and know that you are special no matter what anyone thinks or feels. If you are a good person, law-abiding, educated or not, and making an honest living, don't let anyone tell you that you're less than. There was a time black people were proud to be black. I wish that mindset would return.

It's often said that someone marries another because they just happened to fall in love with that person, that is true in a lot of cases, but you can surely believe that some people put themselves in a position to fall in love with a certain person to achieve their means.

June 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Brian C.

The secret is that many people are publicly accepting while being privately racist. It happens, there is a duality to human nature.

June 12, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Bribarian

This is complete nonsense, it is in fact learned. The same way you differentiate between plants and animals, humans did it with humans too.

June 12, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bribarian

Is anyone more racist than CNN?

June 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. P.L147

First of all, people of different races are not of different species. Therefore, your analogy with birds and fish in entirely invalid. A more appropriate example would be that a brown pidgeon should only mate with another pidgeon of its exact same shade, instead of a white, or spotted one.

Second, Interracial marriages are not all based on self loathing. Sure, it probably happens, particularly with people of color wanting their offspring to be lighter. However, the vast majority is based simply on either an aesthetic preference or the fact that people fall in love with the other's personality(gasp!). Crazy idea, I know.

June 12, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  78. oaksavanna

It is clear and very sad that you do not understand genetics and the difference between what is a species and what is just simple skin color differences. We are all human even though we have differences in skin and eye color. We can all breed with each other. Now if we were a totally different species we would not be able to breed. Do you feel this way about blue eyed people marrying brown eyed people? Same thing genetically...it is just eye color not a totally different species.

June 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  79. gale

Bingo.

June 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  80. gale

So are you saying it's because they do not like their race that they marry someone of another? Not so, it's called attraction, love, bonding. Why is it wrong?

June 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Shawn

You are correct sir!

June 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  82. aertzc

This might be the most simplistic and ill-thought out piece I've ever seen on CNN.

June 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. longtooth

Two people fall in love. They marry. A simple, beautiful story. I have four daughters. We are white. Sadly, I discouraged my girls from bringing home a black boyfriend, not because I am racist, but because I knew the trouble they and their children would have in this crazy world if they married. My DNA contains French, Swedish, Irish, Welsh, and Native American blood. My wife is Sicilian. With all that, we're classified as "white". In America, it's a good thing to be.

June 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Shawn

So you're saying that there is no danger of my german sheppard getting my neighbors lab pregnant? Good to know!

June 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1twinsfan

OMG! A German making puppies in a lab.

June 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • EducatedAmerican

Guess you didn't pay attention in biology- all dogs are of the same species – so they can interbreed. Humans are all of the same species, so we can interbreed. Different species can NOT interbreed. Ex. A dog and a cat- the DNA is NOT compatible so they would never be a dog-cat.

June 12, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • A Biology Teacher

Actually, sometimes two different species can breed with each other but they produce offspring that are infertile. To be considered the same species, two animals (or plants, bacteria, etc) must be able to produce fertile offspring. A donkey and a horse can mate to produce a mule, but two mules can't mate because they have an uneven number of chromosomes (47). Lions and tigers have been known to mate to produce ligers, usually in zoos but there has been at least one that has been discovered in the wild. It is rare for two different animal species to mate successfully due to Species-Specific-Sperm-Receptors. Eggs have these receptors which don't allow sperm from another species (unless fairly similar) to penetrate and fertilize the egg.

June 12, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  85. HM8432

Yes, and a surprisingly large percentage of those who act racist towards 'mixed' couples are Angry Black Women.

June 12, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dirk

yep – you touched on the real issue here – the one sided nature of these interracial relationships. Always a WF and BM. If it wasn't so onesided there would be much fewer people having an issue with it. If it is based on love – great – but much of the time it isn't. Instead it is based on rejection: BM rejecting BW because the media has brainwashed them into thinking that is what they are supposed to be doing. WF rejecting WM because they want to prove they are progressive or more evoloved than WM. The underlying issue is rejection – not true racial hate – and the sooner people understand that the sooner we will stop talking about it.

June 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  86. snowboarder

that is just plain lunacy.

June 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Shawn

To state that 'racism is alive and well in 2013' is a sadly ignorant statement. Based on a actions of a trivial percentage of 'anonymous' people, how you can make that conclusion is beyond me. With this approach, racism will ALWAYS exist as long as even a single person is racist. I think it safe to say that there will always be at least 1 racist human alive in the world until the end of time. So statements about racism being alive and well need to take into consideration the % of the population that is racist to have any meaning. As someone who has lived happily in an interracial relationships for the past 20 years – I have only experienced a single racist incident – and it was from my wives sister (black) complaining about a white man marrying into the family. So I proclaim that racism (from whites to blacks) is dead, and that racism (from blacks to whites) is still simmering.

June 12, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

very astute.

June 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Lorton

More Americans need to think beyond what is common in America. People move all over the world nowadays, whether to attend school somewhere else or to take a job somewhere else. In major world cities, your neighbors may be from all over the world, and yes, they may have skin and eyes and hair that look different from yours. If your kid attends an international school, his classmates are from all over the world, too. I would almost be surprised if such children happened to marry people who look like they do. The odds are against it.

June 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Everett

I always dated women of all races until I married my wife who happens to be black.......I'm black but you date who you like and if she is of another color, so what.....

June 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • gale

I am white, my husband is white. We have 5 kids, 4 biological and 1 adopted. Our adopted son is black and Hispanic. He has dated black, white and Hispanic, he prefers black not because of racism because he was raised knowing his white family loves him as much as the rest of the kids but because the black girls tend to approach him. He is absolutely beautiful and could be a model. I don't care who he marries as long as it is from pure love. Black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.... I do not care I just want him to be happy.

June 12, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Randyman917

I don't give a darn what ethnicity/religion or whatever my kids or Grandkids marry as long as they love each other!!!!If it makes them happy, it makes Pops/Grandpops happy!!!

June 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • gale

Amen and amen. I agree 100%. As long as they love and he or she does not abuse then I'm happy.

June 12, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Stranger

We are not the same. We have different cultures, make different choices.

June 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • EducatedAmerican

I think most cultures have the same values- they value family, children. There ARE differences, but I think people share the same core values.

June 12, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Hu

Always a lib media freak like cnn bringing this trash up for no reason...you see...it isn't illegal to be racist in this country so who cares...

June 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Hugh

"What do the other 14% of Americans think?" Did it ever enter your mind that a good part of this remaining 14% might be people of color who are against interracial marriage, because there are racists on all sides.

June 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • DLB

It said 14% of Americans not 14% of whites. It seems someone obviously doesn't think of non-whites as Americans.

June 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • P.L147

DLB, you nailed it, sir

June 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • billfitt

Very true. I would venture to guess, at least where I live, that some of the biggest racists these days are black men when it comes to another race being with a decent looking black woman. I've experienced that racism personally more than once.

June 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  94. joe

My wife and I are different races. So different it is apparent to everyone we meet. We have lived overseas, in the Midwest and in the South. The only time we hear of any issues is in the news media. Most people are just trying to live their lives and get along. I am sure there a few neanderthals out there, but not as many as stupid articles like this would suggest. If the news media would stop beating the race drum even the neanderthals would give it up. Just stop.

June 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Ignore it and it'll go away? Unlikely.

June 12, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  95. HHH

No one cares when a white male or female marries an Asian, Hispanic, Native American, etc. but as soon as they date or marry black then it's a problem.

June 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

The reason so many get worked up over marrying someone who is black is because there is still in our society, and the whole world really, this mentality, whether recognized or not, that the black race is somehow less "evolved" then the rest of mankind. This is based on worldwide behaviors of the group in general. From Africa and still living in the stone age, to Harlem or Compton, and still killing off each other like flies in the streets.

That is why many get so enamored and fall in love with the intelligent, and educated black people in our society. It's why they make the news, and why they slide so easily nowadays into the presidents chair.

June 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lorton

I disagree. I believe it is very much an American aversion that stems from the unique history of the post-Civil War century of white and black relations. You don't see Londoners getting all hung up about a white person marrying a black person, for example. I may be naive, but from what I've observed it could hardly be more ordinary there.

June 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkD

That's been my experience, for the last 35 plus years and counting. The only rude remarks my wife ever got are from low life customers at work when they didn't get their way. I'm not sure if "go back to China" (she's not Chinese) is supposed to be racist or xenophobic. Anyway, living well is the best revenge.

June 13, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  96. BostonBob

4 to 86% is pretty good.

June 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Jamal

If inter-racial marriage is so natural and healthy, why is there such a push to promote it? There is an agenda here and the author is knee-deep in it.

June 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarylandBill

Is that sarcasm?

Through out history, there have been inter-racial marriages... the only thing was that for most of that time the concept of race had not yet been invented. Even after the concept of race was invented, artificial laws might have prevented legal marriages, but that didn't stop inter-racial relationships and bi-racial children from being born. Heck, most African Americans have at least some European blood in them, and many White Americans have African American and Native American blood in them.

June 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • jeffreyd.

sorry Mary, but race has always been in the mix, from the begining... dna carries very definite characteristics with it. not having information about human origins leaves a 'gap' we are the poorer for. case in point... native americans would NOT accept being slaves, period. It was genetic. they preferred inialation. the 'black' race accepted domination in its time as did many other 'dark' races. History is rife with what happens when you try to 'dominate' the white man.

June 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • MarylandBill

Wow.. I can't believe that ideas like that still exist in the 21st century. Okay, lets start with some basics.

1. Its spelled annihilation.

2. There were actually thousands upon thousands of Native American Slaves. Why they were not the dominant type of slave in the United States is complicated, but I suspect can largely be attributed to the fact that attempting to take enough slaves from the Native Americans to meet the demand would likely have caused some vicious wars. The supply of African slaves was safely across the Atlantic Ocean. And of course if we expand the question to the rest of the Americas, millions of Native Americans were enslaved.

3. Are there some genetic markers of race? In so far as skin and hair color, eye and general nose shape are genetic, yes, it is true. But beyond that? No. In fact, there appears to be more genetic diversity amongst African populations than amongst the rest of the world combined. In other words, two Africans might be more genetically distinct than I, a son of Irish immigrants am distinct from virtually any non African on the planet (though in fairness, I might also be fairly closely related genetically to some African populations.).

June 14, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • erivera63

who is promoting it?..They are discussing it..Is that not allowed?

June 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Miami Al

So i the past 50 years, racism has gone from threats of violence and force of law, to people leaving inane comments on Internet Websites. While I guess that means that technically "racism still exists" - it seems to me that it's pretty close to zero... I mean, a small percentage of the country posts nasty comments on the web...

I mean, you can't post a story about a new Apple Product without nasty comments on the web... the web brings out ill behaved idiots.

June 12, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • BostonBob

Exactly... there are always going to be some yahoos but aside from some Aryan Nation fans I don't think people care less.

June 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • billfitt

Along with a lot of racist Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and such. Too many think that the words racist and white are synonymous, and that ig nor ance of reality is just plain sad. Too many inexperienced and naive suburbanites these days I would guess.

June 13, 2013 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  99. timelord7202

Um, we're all human – we are the same 'race'.

June 12, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teripid

Just a sticking point. We're the same species, human but there are very different cultural and physical differences between races.

My wife and I are different races and very different people but have a loving and wonderful relationship. Prejudices against people from a different background or tradition will never completely vanish but thankfully they're diminishing and at least no typically longer socially acceptable.

In a few more generations we'll be even closer to viewing people for who they truly are, not what they happen to look like.

June 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Boo

If you don't want to marry out of your race, then don't. But don't castigate people that do. Mind your own business!!!!

June 12, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

To get mean, nasty, and disrespectful to an interracial couple or their children is downright wrong, but at the same token, so is getting mean and nasty with someone if the subject comes up and they just happen to mention that they don't personally approve of it. Hey, different strokes for different folks people.

I for one probably wouldn't marry outside my race, or more accurately, someone other then standard white. I'm not attracted to black men at all, with little attraction to other groups. Also, with black men, and the bigotry I'm battling, there is the constant worry about their intentions with the old, "get them with the seed" mentality. That's just me, with my own personal baggage, and I don't condemn someone who is into it. Now due to this baggage and it's nastiness, sometimes I find myself questioning the white person's self esteem, but again, I certainly wouldn't be so crass as to expose my ignorance to them. Here, behind a computer, I can be honest and no one will ever know.

Also, some people like carrot sticks and some like meat and potatoes.

June 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tim Riker

Over time, I've learned that I'm attracted to certain types of people regardless of race. I honestly don't think attraction is race specific unless there's some racial bias.

June 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • L Sal

Thank you. This is honesty, not compliancy and condonement of something that shouldn't be condoned. It is unnatural and shows characteristics of social malfunction, misfit and indecency. Unnatural.

June 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |