Southern TV chef Paula Deen
June 27th, 2013

Opinion: Half-baked apology is recipe for racial indigestion

Editor's note: Tricia Rose is the incoming director of Brown University's Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America, where she teaches Africana studies. She is the author of "Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America" and "The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop - And Why It Matters."

By Tricia Rose, Special to CNN

(CNN) - As Paula Deen's apology tour continues, it becomes more and more disturbing to watch.

With each heartfelt tearful statement, Deen seems completely uninterested in the broader contexts of her comments, missing ample opportunities to address the reality of racism today both in the form of cultural and social interactions, but even more powerfully by policies and actions.

I heard her speak very little about the extraordinary injuries and injustices black people face, I have not heard her show alliance with those who fight racism nor show solidarity with or compassion for black people based on the profound impact racism has on their lives.

FULL STORY
Posted by
Filed under: History • Race • What we think
  1. WeepingWolf

Shiz explain to everyone what racism is. Is it a word or an establishment issue. Cite sources and explain why rural america is loaded to the brim with poor white trash that cant afford a bolonga sandwich? Please explain how you think the 1% cares about those people and bestow privledges upon them....cause I dont effin see it brah.

July 30, 2013 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • WeepingWolf

Get out of your own community sometime and swim with the rest of the fish.

July 30, 2013 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. USMC1371

Every black person in her life both professional and personal have said nothing but great things about her and are supporting her why is that? Could it be that they know the truth???

Oprah should take this opertunity to give her a cooking show on her channel.

July 1, 2013 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. USMC1371

Gee no mention that the lady that brought the case against Paula Deen is white????????

July 1, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • BIG SHIZ

Who cares? If Paula wasn't racist you wouldn't be defending her.

July 1, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
      • USMC1371

I'm not defending her I am pointing out the obvious.

July 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • BIG SHIZ

Obvious to a uncle tom racist.

July 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC1371

You don't have much of a opinion of yourself you might want to seek help for that.

July 2, 2013 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
      • BIG SHIZ

Im talking about you, you're a coward and a uncle tom[that means sell out]. To bad you cant get help for being a piece of sh it.

July 2, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
      • USMC1371

Coward really???? Big words from a little man. Did you even read the article? What is Paula going to say about the injustice to blacks? She is is lily white old lady. If the brothers and sisters in Savannah are talking about all the great things she has done for them I am going to take their words over some money grubbing ho looking for a dime or a getto assed lesbian college professor that needs to spend some time in the burrows before she opens her trap.

July 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC1371

Oh and if being a strong black man that works like a dog and has a mind of his own that won't take the democrats/liberals definition of what I am or how I should think then yes I am a uncle tom and proud of it. Almost 40 and going to retire in my 50's you just keep your head in their fog and let me know how that works out for you.

July 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • BIG SHIZ

Why don't you read the article above, it's real. At least 2 out of 3 Republicans are racist. Being one of them and a black man in 2013 means some sort of self hatred. I always find that type of self hatred vary sad. You are obviously living in a box. None of what you think about you're people or the world is true. As for Paula, she's a little racist but worse than that she's a control freak. She focuses on herself instead of the issue.

July 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC1371

Thanks for making my point for me.

July 3, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
      • BIG SHIZ

Sure, if you want to continue to be ignorant you believe that.

July 3, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
      • WeepingWolf

Thats great usmc! I work hard and dont use racial excuses for my downfalls either. Since im native, would that make me an uncle sequoyah?

July 30, 2013 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
      • WeepingWolf

If 2 out of 3 republicans are racist does that mean 3 out of 3 democrats are racist? Cause last time I checked the democrats are the people that try and squeeze race into every issue wether its there or not. Democrats are openly racist as where republicans hide it in legislature and the system. Racism equals hyperpride shiz not hatred. Hatred is bigotry or predjudice....or lets be real....hate is just hate. And a waste of time. And you seem to be full of it shiz.

July 30, 2013 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
      • WeepingWolf

No one with the name usmc is a coward. No one would use that handle unless they were actually a marine. Thank you for your service usmc!

July 30, 2013 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • WeepingWolf

Like the woman that wrote this article is black african....look at her....lots of white people in that family tree.

July 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • WeepingWolf

I do agree with shiz on one point...she is focusing on herself and not the issue. But what you need to understand shiz is there are plenty of non white racists. I have white friends and native friends and to tell you the truth natives say more hateful things about africans than europeans do. And mexicans are openly worse than europeans against africans. Why dont you hear it? Cause they dont say it around you.

July 30, 2013 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jorge

Ms. Rose, ALL us majorities face challenges in the social jungle that is America, pull yourself together, your indignant puffery is LAME.

June 30, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • BIG SHIZ

You sound like someone that thinks their smart, but you're not intelligent at all.

July 1, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |