October 27th, 2011

Transgender boy wants to be a Girl Scout

Seven-year-old Bobby Montoya dresses like a girl, feels like a girl and wants to be a Girl Scout. A local troop leader said he couldn't - he has "boy parts." But the Colorado Girl Scout organization said that's a mistake, and Bobby is welcome to join. The organization has gotten more requests from families of transgender kids, officials told CNN affiliate KUSA.

Posted by
Filed under: Age • Gender • How we look
  1. Leesa Kallenbach

Although pregnancy begins with implantation, the process leading to pregnancy occurs earlier as the result of the female gamete, or oocyte, merging with the male gamete, spermatozoon. In medicine, this process is referred to as fertilization; in lay terms, it is more commonly known as "conception." After the point of fertilization, the fused product of the female and male gamete is referred to as a zygote or fertilized egg. *..'..

Look into our own blog site too <http://healthmedicine101.com/

July 1, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. James Stone

If Chaz Bono, whom still has girl parts down below can dance as a Man on Dancing With The Stars, then this little transgender boy should be allowed to join the girl scouts. I have had enough of un-fair treatment in this country.

November 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dee

@Jennifer. I love your comments

November 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ...

So will they be accepting transgender leaders then?

November 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Luli

I just realized I am not as liberal as I thought I was...

November 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tiredahhearinit

looks like kenya rubbed someones hair in the wrong direction.

November 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tiredahhearinit

live with it.

November 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Josh

I cannot believe people accept that putting a 7yo child in the national spotlight as a 'transgender girl/boy' is proper. I guarantee you that you can look at this child's parents, and the upbringing they provided their child, and instantly realize why this kid is transgendered at such a young age. I had a graduate school professor whose now ex-wife demanded they dress their boy in feminine clothing...raising their child, to her, was one giant sociological experiment, and that child (now 16yo) is predictably seriously messed up. It's just sad that kids can have such parents.

November 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robin

The headline of this article is incorrect. This child is a transgender girl, not a transgender boy. A transgender boy would be a child who was assigned a female gender at birth but who identifies as a boy. Bobby was assigned a male gender at birth and now identifies as female, making her a transgender girl. Please do your research before mis-identifying people.

November 10, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jess

Some comments in this article are quite disheartening. I simply cannot wait until the day hatred is out and acceptance is in. Yes, this child may not know exactly who they are yet, but I am quite sure the mother is not poisoning their mind with dolls to make them feel like a girl. Stop being ridiculous.

Get over it, leave politics out of it, and do what's best for the child. Because I really hate to break it to you all, but gay is here to stay. And I, for one, am so looking forward to the day being transgender and gay is looked upon how it really is, not a big deal.

November 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Just for the record, I don't think there's any problem with allowing him to play with so-called feminine toys. The problem, in my view, is in expecting an organization built for and around girls to make an exception for this child who clearly is not a girl. The fact that he feels like a girl and dresses like a girl is, in my view, a sickness. But sickness or not, Girl Scouts is for girls, and he's not a girl.

November 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jess

Jennifer I am sorry, but you are like those awful people who used to put people with Down Syndrome in Mental Institutions. Not that I'm calling being transgender a mental illness at all. I'm just calling you ignorant.

November 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jennifer

Jess, of all things I may be, I am definitely not ignorant. I am quite well informed on the matter. I've watched several documentaries about it, I can't even begin to enumerate how many books I've read on medical matters, health, spirituality, mind/body, neurology, social phenomena, anthropology, etc. So I'm definitely not ignorant. Rather, I have a different interpretation of the matter than you do. It always surprises me that people on these forums flip to ad hominem attacks. Rather than sticking with the issues and discussing the merits and demerits of the contributor's arguments, they flip to attacking the individuals with whose arguments they disagree.

November 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jennifer

Also, Jess, one of the closest people in my life is a gay relative whom I adore. He's one of my favorite people on the planet, and one of the best examples of how to lead a human life that I've ever encountered. Any time someone attacks gay people, I defend them vigorously with my uncle as a shining example of how all people should behave, sexually orientation being totally irrelevant.

November 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sterling

The fact that you can't seem to separate 'gay' from 'trans*' or even possibly 'cross-dresser' shows how truly ignorant on the issue you are. That girl is not 'obviously a boy' because she 'feels like a girl' and that's the end of it. Biological sex and gender presentation are two separate fields, and don't even try to claim authority of knowledge on this subject when you can't even get that right.

By the way, the whole 'One of my friends is gay' trope is getting really out of hand (or in your case 'one of my relatives is gay'). That doesn't give you any access to knowledge about the subject just because you know someone who might be effected by it – you actually have to listen to the person and be responsive to their feelings and concerns with the issue, an action I don't think you've taken if you can't even understand that 'being gay' is in no way an issue here.

November 9, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Jennifer

Sterling, I was using the biological, anatomical definition of boy. You are insisting that everyone use another definition of boy, one that also includes how he feels.

Also, I wasn't claiming inside knowledge of gay people because my uncle is gay (it was a separate entry from the one where I defended myself against an ad hominem charge of ignorance). Rather, I was saying that Jess's claim that I'm ignorant, insensitive, etc. is wrong because I do support gay people in many ways, just not in the exact way you want me to.

Finally, I didn't claim to be an expert, I just said I wasn't ignorance, then gave some examples of things I've done to educate myself about this specific issue, and about its broader context.

Your seething anger is surprising. Why can't people hold a view other than the one some of you are advocating without having their character attacked? I'm entitled to see it differently, I'm not lacking in intelligence, and it doesn't make me a horrible person as Jess and you are claiming. Why can't you calmly, politely allow people to disagree with you on this?

November 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Josh

I agree that character attacks are unscrupulous in a simple debate, but you understand how your rhetoric can invoke emotions, right? Being "transgender" isn't a sickness, it's a result of a biological imbalance in the brain at sometime after conception. He is literally a girl trapped inside a boy's body.

Testosterone while in the womb formed and masculinized (or to a degree) his body, but the brain didn't get a sufficient enough testosterone. Those hormones shape our bodies and determine our gender. They also determine what gender we believe we are.

November 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nunyr

I have to agree. If an exception is made, it's time to disband the Girl Scouts because it will no longer be Girl Scouts. People are getting more and more ridiculous.

November 11, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dad

It's a shame people don't treat this as a psychologial disorder because it obviously is. The parents are part of the problem, common sense has left the world for several years now. The American Psychological Association goes with whichever party affiliation the head is, so it's no longer an objective clinical perspective, but even it will admit that no gay or transgender gene has been mapped in 20 years of looking. This is not "born with" behavior. Water contaminates or heavy soy consumption can result in hormone disorders but is never talked about because "gay people" have been sold the "born with" reasoning by heavy lobbying and political influence. The truth is, in any species it would be considered sexual disfunction that makes it unlikely to reproduce to be gay or transgender. Lots of other arguments take place , but "born with" gay or transgender genes should be statistically astronomical using a Darwin model of genes being passed down over thousands of generations, it would be impossible for the males to procreate without artificial insemination and the females would be less likely to make themselves "appeal" to the males for reproduction.

November 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

You got shut down.

November 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jennifer

What does this mean, Bill?

November 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

I'm entirely opposed to parents allowing their child to "act like" the other gender, and you might be right about 'in born gayness' being BS, but I need to point out inaccuracy in what you've said, "Dad": in several animal species a phenomenon has been documented whereby a certain percentage of the population goes homosexual during times of overpopulation. Even in human societies, the historical instances when homosexuality has flourished have been when population exceeded the means of food production, etc. at that time. In Africa, for instance, homosexuality is now rampant. Cairo is a great example. So, in these cases the adaptive value of homosexuality is that it preserves resources until either the means of food production advance to keep step with population, or until an epidemic of some kind significantly reduces the population to restore equilibrium. Then homosexuality mysteriously declines. So, in this sense, it's not that one is born gay, it's that certain people are born with the potential for gayness, and broad societal phenomenon bring it out as an adaptive strategy at the level of the entire population.

November 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Correction: I should have said in utero exposure to, or consumption during pregnancy. "In utero consumption" makes no sense. Well, they do consume amniotic fluid, including whatever's in the fluid, so I guess it's not total nonsense.

November 8, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • RBee

They may have not found a 'gay' gene, but what they have found are chemicals and hormones. The different amounts of these chemicals and hormones can and do affect humans in different ways. For instance, a lot of estrogen may give a male child a milder personality or a lot of testosterone may give a female child an aggressive one. Also, the lack testosterone for a male child or the lack of estrogen for a famale child may be what is making children gay and transgender. So yes, a child can be born gay or transgender.

The reason I use the word 'may' is because scientests are still studying these things. It's an ever growing and changing field and they're finding out new and defferent things every day.

November 12, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sam

I have a problem with a boy wanting to be a girl joining the girl scouts.Why can't he join the boy scouls?And why at just a young age is he dressing like a girl and playing with dolls?And only dolls?Mom what are you doing here to your kid?He shouldn't even know what it is to want to be a different sex.He's only 7. But I guess if you dress him like a girl and you let him grow his hair like a girl and let him play with girl toys...well then he's going to act like a girl.
    And if girls are joining the boy scouts...Why???They have their own groups.

November 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • bdel08

Here's a thought, maybe there's actually something to that whole biological argument that some people are born different than you are!

Holy cow, I know that's a real mind-bender for obvious ignoramous' such as yourself.
      Thousands of people are "born into the wrong body" and medically speaking, it happens so often and happens all over the world, so I highly doubt you can put any blame whatsoever on the child's mother or father.

If you lived even a day in the life of a transgendered person maybe you would understand how difficult it can feel knowing that your body, the shell that your consciousness is apart of for your entire life, isn't right.
      Maybe if you had to deal with even an OUNCE of what this child goes through on a day to day basis you wouldn't be such an ass.

November 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dad

There are"thousands of people born with the wrong body?" huh? Perhaps I should have been born with Clooney's body so all the women would swoon, If I could have been born with Obama's body I could have been president! It's funny, when I was young people who thought they were Napoleon Bonaparte would have been considered mentally ill, by your standards that was all wrong and they were simply "born in the wrong body" the government should institute a mandatory health insurance program and use the money collected to help these people modify their bodies till they become "who they really are" . Obviously they are right and it's our perception of sanity that is wrong. I choose to become George Clooney!!!! Send the bill to Uncle Sam!!!

November 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jennifer

The feeling you described is itself pathological. For one's psyche to not correspond with, or be unable to accept, the biological facts of one's anatomy is pathological. It just is. People suffering from this condition have latched onto the so-called human rights movement, which has now been taken to such a ridiculous extreme that in this country we are disempowered from enforcing our own laws because it might violate someone's rights, when the laws they are breaking (specifically, immigration) are LITERALLY bankrupting our country. In the guise of human rights, people are de facto allowed to commit crimes that are destroying our economy right before our eyes. We are allowing illegal immigrants to do to legitimate U.S. citizens exactly what we did to Native Americans. We haven't learned from history. So people with the gender identity disorder have co-opted this excess for their own ends to make society's non-acceptance the pathology. The psyches of people who are in discord with their physical biology are projecting the pathology onto to society in order to protect themselves.

November 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • stacy

Sam, I for one would like to have joined boy scouts. I tried girl scouts for quite a few years, but it just wasn't fun. I wanted to learn how to set up camp, build fires in any weather, and have boxcar races. But instead I got macaroni noodle pictures, sewing lessons, and baking lessons.

November 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Irish Green

Give me a break already. So sick of these adults pushing their ways and means upon children. How about saying NO. NO you cannot and that is the end of it! Go be a Boy Scout, end of story! There are ogranizations that you all can't join, end of story.These organizations have a right to say NO, you can't as they have for years, but now we have the cry baby era in which I want what you want and if I can't get it, I will whine, protest or sue. So sick of this!

November 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Johnston

Its arguable whether you are born with inert feelings of belonging to the opposite sex. But what I don't understand is how you express that, I don't think you are born with the inert feeling to dress like the opposite sex- this is something that is learned. And at the age of 10 obviously this child is taking his ques from the adults around him.

November 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cameron Russell

"Transgender boy" is what you lead with? If young Ms. Montoya identifies as a female, shouldn't the headline writer do the same?

November 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • saopaco

you are right, but the headline will sell more copy this way.

Transgender BOY wants to be a GIRL scout has solid tension.
      Transgender GIRL wants to be a GIRL scout lacks that punch.

November 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary

His mom identifies him as a boy, she uses masculine pronouns. It was girl Girl Scouts that identified Bobby as "she".

November 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • RichieP

No. The writer is reporting facts. Mr. Montoya is in fact a boy. He likes playing dress-up and make-believe, as is common with children, Michael Jackson, and even some people who fell they never have to "grow up," but pretending doesn't make him female.
      He can join the Girl Scouts because boys can join the Girl Scouts and girls can join the Boy Scouts.

November 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sterling

You...really don't get it, do you? There's a difference between gender identity, biological sex, and sexual preference; they're three totally separate spheres. This person's biological sex may be male, though her gender identity is female. That's not a contradiction in any way. It really sadens me that gender politics are really this far behind. I mean, I'm a straight, cis-gendered male, and even I know this much. Though I may make gaffs in my language use regarding gender and sexuality (privilege is a mask that's often hard to see) the point of coming from a point of privilege is to listen to the voices of others and review your beliefs and perceptions when they come into conflict with anothers – basically, the point is not being a jerk.

November 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jennifer

Are you saying that as a general rule, girls are allowed to join boy scouts? Like, any girl – transgender or otherwise – who wants to be in boy scouts can just join, and vice-versa? If so, I wasn't aware of that. If that's the case, then the same rules should apply to this particular boy that apply to all other boys. From the article I was under the impression that they had made an exception for this one child because he thinks he's a girl.

November 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

I'm replying to Mary here: GS didn't refer to him as a girl, they said that any child who is presented to them as a girl is welcome to join. So, if he is presented by his mother as a girl, he can join. If he is presented as a boy who wants to join with the girls, he can't. At least that's the way I understood their comment as presented in print in the video story.

November 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |