November 29th, 2011

Family says undocumented student killed himself over fears he'd never go to college

By Rafael Romo, Senior Latin American Affairs Editor

(CNN) - Joaquin Luna was only 18. The senior at Juarez Lincoln High School in Mission, Texas, dreamed of going to college. But since he was in the country illegally, that was nearly impossible.

Luna was quickly losing hope of ever going to college, his family says. The Friday after Thanksgiving, Luna put on a suit, kissed his family members, went into the bathroom and shot himself in the head, according to family members.

"He didn't see no other way or no other option," his brother Diyra Mendoza told CNN affiliate KGBT.

Mendoza found the body after hearing the gunshot.

"As soon as I pulled him out to the kitchen, I could see the bullet hole and there was no movement, no signs of anything," Mendoza said. "He was gone."

Mendoza says the letters his brother left behind reveal his fears about being in the country illegally. He also was frustrated because the DREAM Act - an initiative that would legalize young immigrants who have been in the country for more than five years if they attend college or serve in the military - never passed.

It's estimated that the DREAM Act would benefit about 2 million young people. It failed by five votes in the Senate last December. A new push by Democrats in Congress this year also didn't go far.

Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, a Democrat, who has been pushing for the measure for a decade, testified at a congressional hearing in June. "The Dream Act would make America a stronger country by giving these talented immigrants the chance to fulfill their potential." Durbin said.

But Republican lawmakers call the bill "blanket amnesty" and have strongly opposed it. Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, calls it "a band-aid and maybe worse, it would provide an incentive for future illegal immigration."

The DREAM Act was also a hot-potato issue in the November 22 CNN debate of Republican presidential candidates. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich spoke in favor of the DREAM Act. "I don't see any reason to punish somebody who came here at 3 years of age, but who wants to serve the United States of America," Gingrich said.

Mitt Romney agreed with Gingrich saying the he "would staple a green card to the diploma of anybody who's got a degree of math, science, master's degree, Ph.D. We want those brains in our country."

But Michele Bachmann denounced it, warning the measure would "offer taxpayer-subsidized benefits to illegal aliens. We need to move away from magnets not offer more."

But with a Congress unable to reach a compromise to reduce the deficit and presidential elections less than a year away, the chances of any immigration bill being passed seem unlikely.

soundoff (1,898 Responses)
  1. Mah

You are all monsters.

November 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daddy2010

Why?

November 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter Hudson

Because we are not touchy feely sappy people???

November 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Juan Jr Ramirez

Others can make it without even going to college, there is hope, there is always hope regardless of limited options. boy how short sighted was his vision. The country did not force him to kill himself, he gave up too soon. But we have to undestand the pressure he felt? heck its no tougher than the pressure a single parent feels who didnt go to college either. Never give up and never believe you are not responsible.

November 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alan

why didnt he go back to mexico

November 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • tu padre

because that would be too logical.

November 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • marty

he didnt go back to mexico because more than likely he grew up in the u.s..knows nothing about life in mexico like many kids in the u.s who grow up here not knowing there here illegaly.

November 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. blake

What a crock! A thinly veiled attempt by the left to get a knee jerk reaction toward folks that are in this country illegally. The boy's parents are criminals. The boy apparently was emotionally unstable. Very sad, but has absolutely no bearing on what government poilicy should be.

November 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. poncho

Sorry for the young man. The laws are the laws. Blame La raza for their hard line stand. They should dig the grave

November 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. idb

So, you commit a crime and then whine over the effects of it? If the man would have been here legally he could have gone to school just like all the immigrants who have done it the correct way. The motto is: don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

November 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

If the kid's parents brought him here when he was just a preschooler or he was born here, you can't blame him for doing some 'crime'. He grew up here, it is his country, and he can't 'go back,' for him there is no back, this is home. He didn't do any crime, so did he deserve the puishment?

November 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • NOILLEGALS2011

Stop all this feeling sorry for criminal behavior that was brought on by his parents wrong doing. This is the parents worst nightmare of what could happen if they snuck in to the usa illegally, and sometime you have to pay the piper. If this family wouldnt have broken our immigration laws they might still have their son, something for future illegals to think about. So do us a favor, and stay in your own country. If you want to work here, get a visa.

November 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • marty rogers

I feel sorry for children like this. They didnt do anything wrong. They were brought here as small children through no fault of their own, and this is the only land they know. I understand we need to deport every willing adult that is here illegally. But children like this, who did nothing wrong....it is just plain wrong and not christian.

November 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • -____-

Seperate church and state means nothing to you huh? SInce when was college a must to succeed in life?

November 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. *********

I have a Masters degree, a Bachelors degree, make a decent salary treating a variety of people including soldiers returning from war. I have student loans. I own 3 vehicles and have a dog. I own a home, have a straight A student as a child. My spouse is in upper management in a prominent research firm. If this post was on another topic, you'd probably be picturing me white already. I was born, raised in Mexico; naturalized in my teens. My father came over to the US illegally because this great country would not accept his degree in biochemical engineering, though his research is often cited in academia. He worked in a factory, so that his children would have an opportunity to excel. One of my siblings was born here in the US, while the rest of us were born in Mexico. Another of my siblings is a Marine Corps. vet having served in Somalia. My parents were eventually naturalized and my siblings and I have gone on to become productive citizesn for a society that often looks down on us. What I am trying to say is that it is unfortunate that this young man took his life out of sheer desperation. I'm sure other details are missing from the everyday life of this teen. However, to all you losers trolling around tossing in your two cents about a POP topic that you know very little about, forming opinions that were inspired 30 seconds ago while you read this headline and using phrases such as "should of" when it's "should have". Shut the F up and get to work!

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • tu padre

'citizesn'

maybe you should not be throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

November 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benny Dawkins

Well said ************

November 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • tu padre

not really. of course his comment is going to be biased and lib leaning. he is a wetback himself. ask a canadian what he thinks of mexicans. i am sure all you will get is him saying that he is glad that dont live there.

November 29, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • marty rogers

poncho: why should he leave? he is a US citizen and has as much a right to be here as you do. And BTW, I dont think he was listing his degrees in chronological order. you are not only cruel but ignorant.

November 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Native Californian and American

Poncho – Why don't you leave. She was not citing the order, but the obtaining of the degrees. I am impressed with ********* and welcome here in America. Since my family was here long before the Declaration of Independence and helped build this nation, my credentials fully out weigh yours. Start packing.... We need immigrants that contribute to this nation not couch potatoes like you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wage

@poncho, you can have a Masters in one thing and a Bachelors in another. Yet another comment from someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

November 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuffaloBrian

You are the exception, not the rule. I live in Maryland and I also have degrees. I also work in construction. It is of my 1st hand experience that the "illegal" immigrants, whether from Mexico, ElSalvador, Guatemala, Panama, also Russia and other countries within the former USSR, these "illegals" are killing my industries. Although they are hard workers, most are incredibly cheap(almost slave like) because they will not report wrong wages. Also, most that are from south of the border are insanely unsanitary people. Ask any person in the construction industry about what happens when "migrants" are on the job and they will tell you that they defecate and urinate everywhere and anywhere. It is disgusting. They are animals.

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Diane

Seriously? I really have a problem with his suicide being blamed on his fear that he wouldn't be able to go to college...I don't buy it at all. Anymore, I think CNN should be called the "Let's Blame So and So." Does CNN not realize that they are losing followers with this ridiculous biased reporting? I used to be a faithful viewer until I started to see the ridiculous slant and unfair reporting. I don't see any "Being A White Single Mom in America" shows or "Being A White Christian in America" shows fairly reporting ALL problems here. This suicide, while tragic, is not the only suicide in the world. What about people who are killing themselves because they can't find a job and they are losing their homes or can't put food on the table? CNN, I am so disappointed in you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • tu padre

i'm sick of america bending over backwards accommodating ILLEGALS while naturalized and american born citizens suffer by having to go without by having to pay higher taxes and cuts in services. does anyone here who supports these invaders think for one second that the mexican government would do anything for an american or other nationality that moved into mexico illegally?

November 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • marty rogers

what do you know? these young people live in constant fear that they will be deported to a land they dont even know, through no fault of their own. Could happen any time, even a trip to the grocery store. I wish some americans werent so ignorants. That is a shame. But to also be arrogant, well that is just plain embarrassing.

November 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuffaloBrian

This is by far the best comment to this article. Thank you Diane for saying what I was thinking.

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • farmerjane

Diane: this story is about lost hope and without that hope, despair sets in, suicide seems the only way out. It is so mean and unloving to not understand the people's plight. Truly if you knew GOD, you would not say the things you do. Jesus asks us to reach out to our brothers...........why won't you reach out to this young boy and his family. I am sure you understand we were all immigrants in the beginning.

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • farmerjeani

You fail to take into account that the single mom and white Christian have choices to make, whether wise or not. No one forced a marriage or a divorce on the single Mom. No one coerced or prevented the 'white Christian' on that choice either. A child brought to this country and obliged to live in in a limbo world did not make that choice. It doesn't matter that you have no empathy for parents who only want for their children the same opportunities our parents wanted for us. The child can't be blamed and what kind of sick society have we become that we would advocate those who have known no other life or country should be sent away to a place they don't even know. I, and all the other thinking and moral people welcome your departure from CNN.

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tragiccoffee

I guess he can't get into college now....anyone realize that he must be a criminal considering he had a gun? Are illegal immigrants allowed to own guns; the only shocking part of this story is the easy access for criminals to get guns.

November 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Why Use Facts

Liberals have been lying to the illegal immigrants for years trying to convince them that they are the same as legal citizens and when one can't handle the fact that it is a lie then it is the conservatives fault? The parents that brought him here illegally are the ones who put him in the situation.

November 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shaun

Better he take that out on himself than someone else like a AZ senator

November 29, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Optimist

Good one 🙂

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shaun

indeed

November 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Victor

It is sad to think one finds so little hope in a tomorrow or that one has let others down so badly that this life is left behind. While many will put blame on GOP or DEMs or this or that, the bottom line is it is an intensely personal decision no one can ever know. I try and teach my children there is no such thing as a 'ruined life'. We hear that so often...that a life can be 'ruined'. I try and teach them that life may be made harder and more difficult but it can never be ruined. Ruined is simply plans not met but that is not life. Life is the moment. Unfortunately this person used his final moment to end and future moments for whatever reason...I suppose life was too hard. Rather than point fingers and be cute with posting comments, we each might want to look a little bit inward...but one has to be pretty brave to do that too.

November 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • SB

I appreciate the point. If immigration is such a tough thing for legal immigrants. Yes there is NO HOPE IN FUTURE in the US if one is not immigrating. I hope you agree that. Situation I live in with my family is I think 3 times to buy a household item, when my time is out in the US it goes to dumpster !. Anyway I thank for the short term opportunity I had in this country !

November 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. equalizer01

WOW....PEOPLE ARE VERY NASTY HERE, BUT WHO CAN BLAME THEM, WE ARE ALL STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET. MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY OF THE LOST. I AM A HUMAN AND AN AMERICAN, I ALSO HAVE TWO SONS AND AS A FATHER I FEEL THEIR PAIN. PLEASE SET ASIDE THE POLITICS AS THEY ARE TEARING US APART AND THAT IS WHAT BOTH PARITES WANT US TO DO.....BICKER OVER THE SMALL STUFF AS THEY ROB US, DAILY EVEN ON SUNDAYS.....

November 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. anaransol

Hellhole? obviously you have never been outside of this country maybe you need to visit exotic places like Watts or the South Bronx to understand why humans are desperate to get out of places like that

November 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Playjojo

Exactly. Come, we're the great melting pot.

November 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. OhHum

Maybe he didn't realize that allot of people not just him cannot GO TO COLLEGE. I for one would have love to go. I am an American citizen, I cannot go because of a money issues. You don't see me shooting myself in the head over that. I don't have any compassion on a cowardly act such as what he did no one is crying any tears here. Also, if you haven't noticed the American Dream..is now the American nightmare wheither you have college degree or not..This society is changing pretty fast into what we will be faced with in the future and it won't take a college education to be important there. It will be WHO you know that will set it right for you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Esau

if you have money issues, then getting financial aid shouldnt be hard. also applying for scholarships wouldnt be hard either. you have a chance to go to college, the young man didnt. you cant go far in this world with just a high school diploma, it wouldnt give you many opportunities.

November 29, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • knightforx

Hate to say it, but I have to agree. There were a zillion options other than suicide. That said, I do support the Dream Act as it applies to those in the military, those who were brought here by their parents, etc. I'm a white guy born in the U.S., but that was only LUCK. I could have just as easily been born to Mexican immigrant parents who brought me here when I was 3, and would I feel compelled/obligated to "go back to Mexico"? Ask yourself the same question if you weren't as lucky...

November 29, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Just another weak individual with access to gun, thank whoever he didn't hurt or mane anybody else. The people born here already have difficulty in help from the government. Aliens illegal or not have way to much access to what our government dishes out in help for the poor or impoverished. This is partially is dragging our way of life down , alien believe they have a god given right to our tax dollars. Who the heck do they think they are that they deserve to be financed and educated by the already American tax payer when the people paying taxes can't afford to send their children to college or go them selves to improve their life!

November 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SB

For a grown up to change and convince himself to a totally new environment it is very difficult. Consider the pressure the young people may be going through, they don't even know what is reality in their home country how can someone prepare them to face it. If home country has nothing to offer it is almost a dead end for the individual. I being a legal alien not yet seen any positive progress in last 4 years and more or less expecting to be thrown out of the US, trying to prepare myself and especially my kids to be ready for the situation. At least I have a base to return to but consider a case where there is no point of return. It is easy to stand aside and say it is ok it is easy to handle.. what not. Reality is tough kids are the ones to face the reality first hand. Hope it is time not to count on this country anymore and plan a safe exit. It is not that far if people start seeing better opportunities outside the USA. The golden period is gone. Time to make a U turn. Prepare the young generation to face the situation. Most importantly psychologically dress them up to reality. I don't think immigration reform is at all a top priority in USA. Several issues are on the list not resolved. It may be too late to wait for a reform. It is time to plan outside the USA. At least I wish to. ...

November 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • real citizen

bye...

November 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. badgermattyb

Anyone who thinks the logistics of removing millions of people who are living in this country are remotely feasible, let's get real. I'm all for securing borders, but there is no way to expect that everyone already here is going to be sent home. Remembering that we are a Nation of immigrants, where's the harm in allowing those who are living lawful, responsible lives within our borders to pay a fine, taxes and move forward towards citizenship? This individual could have been a wonderful contribution to our scientific community; what a waste. I can think of a lot of legal citizens that take that privilege for granted and don't exhibit a shred of the ambition this young man had.

November 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daddy2010

That's because you are over-simplifying by thinking all the millions would be leaving on the same day. Of course we want contributors. What do you have against his being a legal contributor?

November 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Stu

Someone should have told this kid that College does nothing but put you in debt in this day and age.

November 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret

He probably had problems the family was not aware. Going to college no doubt meant a great deal for him. Not all kids who go to college go because it is a great party school. It is very sad in any case. It is too bad he did not reach out for help.

November 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. US guard

Illegal immigrant with gun – this is something we really don't need. Thanks for exposing the life of criminals in this country CNN. This guy had a suit, a house, and illegal gun, which is a felony panishable by years in prison. Add to that federal crime he already commited – you see the picture. I dont think we need millions of "talanted" like this one.

November 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  21. aa

that's unfortunate; but in any case so many college graduates are already in massive debt with limited job prospects and u cant even walk away from student debt under bankruptcy law. he could have just stayed him and hit the books, and so much info is online anyway. college degrees are usually just a piece of paper anyway mostly

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Carol

This young 18 yr. old listened to all the wrong people, some of them on the net if he had one, others on TV, kids in his H.S., and he was depressed and hopeless. Just like the gay youngsters that have no hope for one reason and what is happening in the U.S.A. Some of your comments are pitiful. My sympathy to his family.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Alaskan

As long as you enter LEGALLY. I believe most people welcome legal immigrants, but not so much those immigrants who enter illegally.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ed Lamson

Carrie, your ignorance is showing.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bernie

What percent of the people who comment on these stories actually have read them you suppose? These boards really make me think of ill of our society

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • real citizen

Yes, we are all sick and tired of giving away our great country to everyone wanting a handout...

November 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. confusion

Sad when anyone kills themselves. However to believe he was distraught enough to do so by being in the country illegally and having some concern over the Dream Act is asking a little too much. I'm sure there were a number of other issues involved, but they probably wouldn't make good headlines with the liberals. What about the rest of the family? Are they legal?

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • lcinlc

I agree..I have to call BS on this story...or at least the reason they are giving for the suicide.

November 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Citizen X

the article says posted by: the Editors. The person or persons behind this do not have the courage to own up to it. Typical hype atricle to get people arguing again.

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. joand

You forgot "....and have a PhD, are an athlete or you are an actor."

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  29. justmy2cents

Well the way I see it and hear it....these teenagers know that they won't get a chance to be anything or anybody important without education, soooo why try...and then again why make them even attend school in the first place....if they can't finish something they may be smart at or wanting to get smarter at.

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bill

I am very sorry for the family and feel sorry that they are being used by this author and CNN as a news organization. This is very pathetic and everyone involved in printing this should be ashamed of themselves and fired.

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dt

I totally agree. This tragedy had no place in a political story. I hope the family finds peace with this terrible tragedy.

November 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

The writers of the article are telling it as it is. It many not please you to hear the truth, but it is what it is.

November 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • klukas

You know this personally Carol or do you believe everything you read?

November 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • anaransol

yes you are right let us all go back to watching dancing with the stars – reality is just to ugly to write about

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Guest

Just how stupid are you? You claim this is the fault of a GOP policy. Both parties have failed to clear up the snag in the immigration laws, so don't be playing idiotic political games trying to blame just the GOP. That kind of games is why nothing has been accomplished. You're just as much of the problem as anyone with your kind of BS.

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Marlene

Another illegal alien sob story. Sorry to hear about this young man's death but it isn't the fault of us immigration policy. He obviously had mental health issues and to exploit his death to further the amnesty cause is just wrong.

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JemimaPD

Agree.

November 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhp

THANK you. Yes. Exactly.

December 1, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  33. Christopher

give 'all of us' a break,...quit making it a race issue. if he blew his brains out because he didn't know if he was going to college,...he had bigger personal problems. don't make it out to be an immigration issue,...

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RonFromNM

You're a doosh.

November 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Carl

"carrie

no sympathy for him at all. there are always other options.people who commit suicide should never be pitied."

I'm so tired of hearing people say they don't have compassion for people who commit suicide! If you have never been in depression then you will never know. It is a very selfish act but you have no idea what it's like to wake up everyday not wanting to be here anymore.

November 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Bob from Pittsburgh

These people are truly disgusting.. I bet they professed to be Christians.. God help us..

November 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. rkt210

huxley's immigration policy: "Hey! Where's my check at?"

November 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Citizen X

Why is a story about one kid in one town killing himself a headline. How many kids have taken their lives why we all have been reading this pointless article? Illegals have taken over Waukegan Illinois!

November 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • mabear87

Are you educated past the fourth grade? He took his life, which he should not have, because the US Congress is a bunch of political morons, especially the Republicans, who stand as close to Hitler as anyone in the history of this country. They want to dominate with their phony evangelicalism. Funny, because a great deal of what they stand for will send them to hell and is anti Jesu. But they pretend to be from middle America, while simultaneously trying to move their non religious beliefs on the remainder of the country.

November 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Ellie

LEFTIST PROPAGANDA!!!! Shame on CNN for spewing out this nonsense.

November 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

maybe because they are telling the truth and not fantasies like Fox news and the republican fantasies.....

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Dawn

Spoken as someone who's never lossed anyone to suicide. Congratulations. You can always tell the quality of someone's character by how they treat people who have nothing to do with them, and can do nothing for them.

November 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. rkt210

Basically, an eighteen year old kid who blows his brains out isn't college material anyway.

November 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. sickmuse11

Did it ever occur to everyone that there are more evolved individuals out there that would rather kill themselves than be denied the right to evolve their minds, intellectually?

If I didn't have the access to education, I'd definitely kill myself before settling to the primitive "blue/white collar" lifestyle's that you all so easily sell yourselves-out to, and by doing so, you are relieving yourself of the duty of evolving your minds to their fullest potentials. Consider him the "Jesus-like" metaphor of today; he died for all of you sinners that took your intellectual growth as an individual, for granted.

Also, "As long as we see our problems as “out there,” caused by others, as long as we focus on assigning blame, we are refusing to face our own responsibility for dealing with the hand that fate has dealt us...Every man is, in a certain sense, unconsciously a worse man when he is in society than when he is acting alone; for he is carried by society and to that extent relieved of his individual responsibility...and with that, morality." -Carl Jung

R.I.P.

November 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chantal

A citizen isn't just a legal status, but also a word used to describe someone who is a valuable and contributing member of society. Going by the second definition, Joaquin was a better citizen than the average actual American citizen.

November 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellie

Isn't suicide a refusal to face responsibility? He blamed and gave up because he was weak and unable to adapt (the essence of evolution).
      What a completely ignorant post.

November 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chantal

Ellie, you have a twisted understanding of suicide. I wish you could understand just how bad emotional pain can be. I wish you could have bipolar disorder or major depression for a year so you could relate to other people instead of rubbing salt into their wounds.

November 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • jnixed

I have to hop on this band wagon, sorry. Wait what?!?! Are you serious? You work harder. That's it. You dont give up. You work harder. Access to higher education is not the end all be all of this society. Certainly being well educated opens up doors for you, but working hard and staying resolute are the needs of today ... Jesus, JESUS? Really?! come on

November 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Good Post but ...

... I wish it were that easy. You make the decision to go to college sound easy; it is not. If it were a black/white decision most would go for the education and not the blue-collar-job. We're talking age, money, mental ability as deciding factors when it comes to this.
      With that said, I happen to agree with you, contradicting as it may sound. Most people are making decisions unconciously (spur of the moment) which leads to consequences few are able/willing to deal with.
      I for one feel sorry that this young man, legal or not doesn't matter, had the idea that he had no other choice but to take his life. My thoughts go out to his family.

November 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

You would do best to forget Carl Jung, and so your own thinking, and find remedies for what is wrong in our society and change things by sane actions. Being a loner and turning your back on people is not the way to go if you're looking for happiness, and want to give it to others. If all you want is to make yourself happy then be a loner, and good luck.

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daddy2010

That's a cop-out and you're a fool. My brother-in-law started at the "primitive" blue collar lifestyle that you look down on so easily. He proceeded to work his way up to a territory manager of several states. Fool.

November 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. InfadelGary

He should have gone back south of the border where the opportunities are endless. Don't try to blame America on the actions of an idiot. This type of "feel bad" journalism is sickening.

November 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jnixed

Simply ridiculous ... im sorry he felt this way ... but the truth of the matter is if you are a hyphenate American, getting into college is a lot easier than other wise. Not to mention a lot of money (precious money in these dire times) goes to supporting illegal higher education, at least in California .. I'll admit I am unfamiliar with the laws of Texas in these matters. I'm all for everyone getting a chance to improve their situation and to seek education, but the reason of this report is obviously to fan the amnesty flames. Can't blame the students however, if there was an Anglo-Saxon Protestant foundation to offer student aid, hell yeah I would sign up for it. We all play the hand we are dealt.

November 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Lilith

Have some compassion. A young life is gone. Does it really matter whose fault it is? HE felt like he couldn't go to college. HE lost hope with the loss of the Dream Act. Does it really matter if it's true? Does it matter that he could have found a way? It's too late and it's tragic. We can learn from this but we can't do anything to save his life. This isn't politics. It's the loss of a young life because that young life saw no other way. There is something wrong when we use this to argue instead of mourn.

November 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cruizin

Sorry, but the article made it about politics. The family made it about politics. It's tragic that he killed himself. It's tragic that he felt it was the only way. But it is also tragic that CNN had to take this and make it into something politicial.

November 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lilith

CNN stated the facts. His note said why he took his life. It's a fact. The arguments here are turning it into politics.

November 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shari

Alas, how this article frames it, made it a political issue.

November 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lilith

Even if it did, SO WHAT? It's how you react to things that define character. I read this and thought about the loss of a child. That is what I focus on. That is what is important here. Have we become so jaded, as people, that our hearts don't break for a dead child? Is it too much to ask that we take a moment to mourn him instead of arguing?

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kearn Schemm

This poor boy killed himself for nothing. I suspect that he was encouraged to do so "for the cause." He had the right and ability to apply to college, he just would not have gotten in-state tuition. Is that a reason to die for? If he had chosen to go to school in Texas, he would even have had that. The tragedy is that he was manipulated, very much like suicide bombers, into taking his own life. I assume he would have gotten into college and prospered if someone had not told him that without the "Dream Act" he could not. Dream Act fanatics killed him, not pro-enforcement Americans.

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  46. keeth

And now this comments section will reveal the truly ugly and unChristian underbelly of American "society."

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • InfadelGary

Why, because this story is supposed to make us "feel bad" ?

November 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • dacshund2

I'd take the "un" away from Christian if I were you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

You are completely accurate. It's hard to believe that so much judgement and seething venom come from people who allegedly follow and pray to such a peaceful and loving man called Jesus.

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daddy2010

Please tell everyone how this story should make them feel. And what the proper response would be.

November 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  47. what the

I'm sure there is more to it then just not being able to go to collage.

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Right

Just like every person who has mediocre grades and no money can go to college. Somebody needs to stop believing everything s/he hears...

November 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JemimaPD

"...Back in Texas, Mendoza is thinking of other young immigrants like his brother. "It's like all these kids that are here. They're all dependent on that DREAM Act to keep on studying," Mendoza said. ..."

Why are they 'dependent' on the DREAM Act? Any foreigner can apply to go to school in the USA. The Dream Act will actually be unfair to US citizens/legal residents from other states who would have to pay out-of state tuition, while the illegals will get a benefit of -in-state tuition.

Besides, as has been mentioned here-Texas lets the illegals study already. This is just more propoganda to defend theundefendable law breakers. The minute that the law is no longer important, America loses. Fixing immigration does not mean having to give amnesty.

November 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

I second that.

November 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Ashamed

I hope to hell nothing like that ever happens to you. How dare you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. lhpogo

Kid bought into the American Dream and had his hopes dashed. Unfortunately for him, he didn't know that you don't have to go to college to be successful in this country. I know several people who make way more money than me. None of them went to college, and I have a master's degree. No one should pin all their hopes and dreams on college. There are other routes to success and happiness.

November 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • what the

what is your master's in?

November 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  52. rkt210

Are there no colleges in Mexico?

November 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • anaransol

"'If they would rather die, . . . they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.'"
      _Charles Dickens

November 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. tomislaw

my family and I have been living in the US for seven years now. we didn't immigrate here illegally though, just overstayed our visa. trust me when you see some place better to live in and more opportunities available, you would definitely move there, that's how you move yourself up the society. currently my elder brother and I are in college, soon for my little brother, and we paid the full tuition for it with no financial aid. my parents work their ass off for us. And do you think we are here to reap of the government benefits? we would actually be grateful and happy to pay taxes.

November 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann Marie

So then pay taxes.

November 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • rkt210

"we didn't immigrate here illegally though, just overstayed our visa"

Uh, that means you ARE illegal. Try to rationalize it all you want, but you and your family are criminals. How is it any different than leasing a car for three years, but after your payments are over, deciding to keep the car because you really like it?

November 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeSeattle

If you attended any public University, you sponged off of U.S. taxpayers. Tuition doesn't cover the cost of a student's education unless you pay as a non-resident.

November 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. wakeboarder

Sad to see anyone so young lose their life.

However...

This should be a lesson to all the illegals....they are setting their kids up for failure. Time to go back to Meh-hi-co.

November 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chantal

As if staying in the violent, impoverished, corruption-filled country they escaped from would give their kids a higher chance of success.

November 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Amy

I really find it ironic that whites came to the U.S. from Europe "illegally" and took over. Honestly it is so difficult to immigrate into the U.S. legally it is no wonder people come here illegally. On top of that, Mexicans have no other choice. Their country is in shambles, the U.S. has taken over the agriculture and trade so they cannot feed their families unless they flee here. We are all humans, this is our planet. There needs to better measures to take care of people. If you are willing to work and be a law abiding productive citizen then I say welcome to you. And if there is not enough room, then the U.S. should stop investing in wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan and focus on building up Mexico so people don't have to come here.

November 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Actually, there were no immigration laws in place when this "take over" that you referenced occurred. Just sayin'

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann Marie

There are great schools in Mexico. It's not in shambles. Stop it seriously, and there is a place called South America.

November 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Amy, how is it our responsibilty to build up Mexico??????? As for Afghan and Paki – Stan they sent people here to attack our people killing almost 3,000 of them, they refused to turn over the ring leader when told to. And we have not done nothing to their agriculture, the drug cartels have because they want them to grow drugs, At this point I will support a national drug testing of workers and Benefit Receipients in order to reduce our demand for these drugs. But otherwise we are not responsible for our neighbors problems.

November 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • GoFwd

No one is asking you to rebuild Mexico. Our southern neighbour is a sovereing country. However, if you must know the country is in shambles and torn by violence thanks to the high demand for drugs in this country. That is correct, the U.S consumes more than half of the illegal narcotics consumed in the world. Secondly, it is torn by American corporations who pay the equivalent to $80 per week, and dont pay taxes. Lastly, corrupt politicians have abused the power for years and years. People, try to scape this situation just as the italians, irish and jews in previous decades. What happened to "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses"? I think foreign policy and internatinal affairs is not your forte. Go back to class!

November 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • jnixed

I totally agree. Even though my previous comment may sound ... conservative, as it were, I totally agree. Besides, its not like we captured 2/3 of their country or anything. Oh wait, yeah we did.

November 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • JemimaPD

Amy, Saying that Mexico is in a shambes and that they cannot feed their families unless they go to the US is simple minded. Yes the drug problem is terrible-the country is NOT in a shambles, the disparity between rich and poor in Mexico is greater than that of the USA.

As far as feeding families goes although there are many poor and extreme poor, it is MUCH easier to feed a family here than in the USA. They even have a saying "Where one eats, two can also." We do not have daily news about starving children or senior citizens.

Agricultural trade between Mexico and the USA tends to be complementary, Mexico sends fruits, vegetables and beer while it receives grains, oilseeds and meat from the USA.

November 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck Chalupa

Amy, besides poor grammer, what point were you trying to make. He lives in Texas, and even an ILLEGAL that resides here in Texas pays In State Tuition.

November 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • rhp

Were you being sarcastic by chastising someone's grammar whilst misspelling rudimentary words and using incorrect punctuation? I mean...

December 1, 2011 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  56. Marle

If a child is here illegally, whose fault is that? The child's?? Or the parent(s) who are themselves illegally in the country?

Just as in a divorce, it's the child(ren) who suffer the consequences.

Our government can't get out of its own way - selfish SOBs who work the system so that THEY are the beneficiaries.

It's been a long line of deceitful presidents and other government officials - so let's not blame President Obama for proving, thus far, that he has been an honorable human being, no matter his ethnic background – or his being born in Honolulu Hawaii (which IS a state in the scheme of the USA 50)

I'm sorry this young man felt the need to commit suicide - a very permanent solution to a temporary situation.

My daughter is a teacher and is still paying off student loans!! Nothing is given to her without her working for it all.

November 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kyle

Seriously faulty logic. You don't think this kids parents work hard for everything they have? You don't think this kid worked his as's off in school so he could get into college? What do you think the average persons reaction would be if they worked their but't off for so many years and have everything ripped away from them?

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lomez

He can work as hard as he wants – he's still here illegally and nobody owes him an education for that.

November 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • ksmo

Kyle, your logic is just as faulty – what does it matter how hard workig his parents are, or how hardworking he was? It is tragic and sad that he chose to commit suicide, but the law is the law – if you are an illegal immigrant (whether through your parents' or your own fault/violation of the immigration laws), you can't expect to have the same rights/access to the same privileges (e.g. higher education) as those that are citizens here or legal aliens. How is being a hardworking person change the fact that you violate the laws by living in this country (any country, for that matter) illegally?

November 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Jimbo

Looks like the Dream Act supporters are out in full force reporting abuse on arguments they can't contend with, typical.

November 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Chuck

So, we blame the boy's death on the US Congress for failure to pass this bill? Ok. I guess, then, that if it looks like they're unlikely to pass some bill that I want to see passed, I'll just threaten to kill myself thus compelling the Congress to pass the bill? No. Congress is not to blame for the boy's death. He chose to kill himself. This is tragic. But don't try to use this tragic choice to blame Congress for something.

The United States is not the only place in the world where one can get a very good college education. He should have explored other options. In fact, leaving the US for a few years and getting a good degree elsewhere might be the very best way for him to have eventually gotten into the US legally and eventually even gained citizenship.

November 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • N

Why don't explore other options Chuck, because want him here, not you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tutu Glen

OMG

November 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Fred Evil

So sad that his parents would do this to him!

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jennifer

You know, I am very sorry this guy killed himself. But that doesn't mean we need to change our laws over immigration, etc. His parents are responsible, not the United States of America. I didn't go to college because my parents didn't have any money and I didn't grow up with the Internet so looking for grants wasn't like it is now, which is still difficult. May his soul rest in peace.....but I can't believe this is even a news story.

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

Seems that you don't know the history about the citizen that was rejected in alabama DMV for been puertorican, or the german tourist that been jailed for drive without passport. or the florida dmv that reject all those guys that are in the path of regularize his situation and they are waiting for years for a paper that change their situation, that they come because they are approved but if they are not approved they receive his license....and many histories, like the family of citizens that are ready here are waiting 13 years for regularize their situation, people that have families, sons, brothers and sisters together, you don't know nothing for hope and better life....

November 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Tutu Glen

YEARS ago my elderly father was sitting having coffee at McDonalds with friends. They were complaining about illegal Mexicans crossing the border. My father, all 5' 2" of him (he was a retired Oysterman and the biggest man I ever met) stood up and said "Shame on all of you! If you knew there was a better life for your wife and kids, you would take whatever risks there were. And if you DIDN'T then shame on you again! I would do anything to make sure my kids had the best future possible. And if you were not willing to do that then none of you are real men" Like I said, he was 5'2" tall. But he had a presence. And his words were right on. I was very proud of him that day, and I try to live up to his words and life choice.

November 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • pocogeejo

no wonder sea food prices are out this world.....

November 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

He was indeed a very tall man!!

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JemimaPD

From your comment and my interpretation of the great man your father was; it does not seem as though >lie, cheat and steal< would be included in "doing anything for his wife and kids". If they were, then he is not the great man you describe.

November 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • farmerjeani

Bravo to you and Bravo to your father. If all Americans were like you, this country wouldn't be in the horrible shape its in today. I am an immigrants child.My family (all of them!) came to this country in the 1600's. My ancestors and relatives have fought in every war; EVERY war this country has been involved in, including Iraq and Afghanistan. But only my husband's grandfather is a true American-a native American. The rest of us immigrated here and how dare we begrudge our privilege to the others that wish to follow. This world is a closed system-we are all in it together. To think that we can 'protect' our little corner from the poor and needy is as ridiculous as thinking you aren't breathing the same air as your neighbor. Your father was a true patriot; thank you for carrying on.

November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. bob

I hate to see anyone lose their life, especially like this, but his parents have only themselves to blame. At the top of the article he stated his reason for his act, because he was afraid of being in this country illegally. His family put him in that position.

November 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tutu Glen

His Parents came here to give him a better life. He ended it tragically. How can you possibly blame his parents? Wow

November 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • pocogeejo

Gee, maybe the fact that the freeloaders couldn't handle the fact that college wasn't going to be free like medical care, food, clothing and housing.....what a crock....

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fred Evil

Because they should have followed the RULES to do so!
        Is it ok to rob a bank, so you can afford to send your kid to college?!
        Wow is right...

November 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Marvn Webster

Tutu,

Yes the parents were at fault as they had been here for years. Why had they not become citizens by going through the proper chanels and procedures?

November 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • farmerjeani

Tutu, don't let those immoral trolls get to you. They will say and do anything for attention. If I believed they reflected America and American values, it would break my heart.

November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

agree with you Bob.
      better life does not mean you can break the law and there is a reason why the called the illegal Immigrant.
      Why can they find a way to be a citizen? and he did make up his mind to kill him self. so it is his fault.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. KGH

Don't blame immigration laws. Blame this boy's parents who KNOWINGLY broke the law and entered a country illegally, stayed illegally and work illegally. EVERY country on the planet requires permission for a non-citizen to enter and stay.

November 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  65. lhpogo

I don't know when you went to school, but even public colleges are too expensive for students to pay for by themselves without being already wealthy, help from their parents, or student loans. My dad put himself through school in the 1970's on two part-time jobs. Today, you could save up for years and not have enough to pay for a bachelor's degree or even technical school.

November 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Cruizin

This kid lived in Texas, right? I do believe that Texas has a Dream Act, one for which Perry has been crucified. The article fails to mention that. For the article to base his suicide on his inability to go to college is wrong. Many illegals live in fear, but they do not kill themselves. They live in fear because they know that they are breaking the law. A law that is in place for a reason.

November 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

People don't pay attention to the facts when it interupts their ignorance.

November 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • kyle

Exactly jimbo, the kid SPECIFICALLY wrote about the dream act in his journal which is why the author wrote about it.

November 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jimbo

I guy killed himself last night becuase his girlfriend broke up with him and wrote about it, lets write an article and blame the mean girlfriend for his death. I mean it was all her fault, he had such high hopes for the future with her and put his heart and soul into the relationship and all the sudden he had no chance.

November 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Living life

That is why all the illegals should become legal or stop bring their kids to America its not fair to them,
      how many more kids have to kill themselves before their selfless
      parents become legal or get out of America.....

November 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tutu Glen

So, are you saying it's OK for him to have killed himself because in essence he was breaking the law his whole life?"

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  67. MichaelTran

My son went through 4 years of college riding his bicycle. Work full time and did not borrow any money. If there is a will there is a way. This young man will not survive even if he went to college, check yourself out when obstacles arises? Parent, teach your kids to be more resilient and resourceful, then we don't need the Dream Act or any other Acts. People tend to be more irresponsible now a day, stop pointing fingers, look at yourself in the mirror. at the end of the day, That's the one who responsible.

November 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  68. j

This kid was an idiot...if he wanted to goto school so bad, leave the country, come back legally and change the world!

November 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

you obviously have NO IDEA how this country's immigration process works.
      He probably came here as a 2 or 3 year old. If he left the country it would have taken a good 5-10 years to get back in and then EVEN THEN there is no guarantee he'd get into school because he was out of the country for those 5- 10 years.

its totally unpractical. Also you'd be asking him to run away from home.

November 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Veggiedude

Leave the country and then come back? Where would a kid stay in a foreign country? How can they survive there? Do they even know the language to get a job there??

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  69. dale

By Rafael Romo, Senior Latin American Affairs Editor says it all – "spinaroni.....twisting a tragedy" to suit himself"
    We need less of this type of individual. What we need is Latino writers/leaders that stand up for what is right for American and not always just/only about their own ethnic group.

November 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • kyle

How the f@ did he spin this. The dead kid wrote about not being able to go to college because the dream act didn't pass and then the author wrote what the dream act was and who supported it and who didn't.

November 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shari

Kyle – I'm sorry, but the way this article is written makes it seem that he killed himself because he thought he couldn't get into college, which is NOT the actual case in Texas. THAT is what makes the article obviously have an agenda instead of reporting responsibly. I HATE this kind of story that abuses a tragedy.

November 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  70. zz

This kid could have been the one to find cure to cancer. Or solve world hunger. Fight for abused children. He could be the person who saves you from an on-coming bus. Would you care the immigration status of the person who has the potentials to do these things? There are a lot of citizens who waste their lives away in drugs, crimes etc... with no vision, or determination to make a difference.

RIP Joaquin.

November 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

Well I guess he didn't think about all those things he could have done when he pulled the trigger, it's your fault you didn't tell him.

November 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • MARK ROBBER

no he could not of been any of those things since he killed himself. which was his choice. if he would of been murdered then yes potential would of been taken away.

November 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

What an ignorant and uninformed opinion to view a suicide as "weak." As a suicidologist, I can tell you that suicides are absolutely NOT the consequences of weakness of character, but rather an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. This kid really could have been one of the most brilliant and lucid minds on the planet, but was unable to process choice correctly because of a temporary neuro-imbalance. Depressed individuals weigh risk and reward much, much more differently than a balanced mind. Not everyone is as lucky as you, arrogant one.

November 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why Use Facts

Or he could have been the next serial killer or child molester to make national headlines, or he could have been an average person that no one ever hears about. The fact of the matter is we will never know. If he committed suicide because of his immigration status then the responsibility lies only on his parents who put him in the situation, not with any politicians who have supported or opposed the DREAM Act.

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ratnacage

unlikely he would have been any of those things. anyone that kills themselves is mentally ill/unstable. Sad story, but not justification for legalizing illegal immigration.

November 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

every new president makes promises. But no one should die ebcause there is no hope – this kids really high hopes and someone(s) must had teased him that he will never get an education in the US> Remember he came as a three year old. This is his home. he doesnt know any other home. If immigration was such an issue in texas, his family would had been deported already. They have cars, houses and education like the rest of us. They are hard workers and they know how to do things faster and even better. They dont steal jobs from any american because the work they do, most of us dont dare want it. I know of several companies who has testifed that they had placed ads in the newspaper and monsters.com and the only ones who has applied were the illegal immigrates. NOt one legal citizen showed up. in the two years to apply for the benefit.

November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chantal

Some of the greatest people in history had mood disorders.

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zz

Yeah, we never will know. All he needed was some good guidance from someone...

November 30, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  71. Jimbo

Once a boy killed himself becuase his girlfriend broke up with him, it was all the girlfriends fault.

November 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Dave

Another senseless Texas execution. No excuse.

November 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • boskoo

Poor upbringing by decadent parents. Don't blame Texas you nitwit.

November 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • kyle

Illegal mexican seniors do not get social security unless they have a faked social security card and have paid social security taxes. If they pay the tax why shouldn't they receive the benefits.

November 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Edudlufetips

so ignorant are the people who say 'go to college in mexico.' how about blaming the border patrol? ever thought about that? i am a legal first generation LEGAL immigrant who is now in medical school and there is a reason i left my 3rd world country to come to the US.

the second point is... this kid actually had aspirations and dreams of a decent, determined life. it's not his fault his parents chose to come here. and the thousands/millions of kids in the US that can't get into college, aside from those that truly can't afford it- and there are few- because there is a thing called financial aid allowing the poorest inner city kids to get into harvard, are mostly unmotivated screwups/drug addicts/truants/kids who simply don't care/coddled kids. have some more sympathy. don't blame the illegal immigrants, you don't know if you wouldn't try to leave an impoverished nation for a wealthy one just a few steps away if you were in that position, blame the US for allowing so much of this to happen. and be less ignorant and more sympathetic in tragic situations

November 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Max

He thought he was smart enough to get into college but not smart enough to take a citizenship test. Or at least smart enough to join the military, which would have helped him gain citizenship at the same time he earned money for college.

November 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • PatSJ

You can't take a citizenship test unless you are here legally. And while the military does provide a path to citizenship, you have to be here legally to join the military. You are either misinformed or ignorant.

November 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

And your not even smart enough to comment on this issue. Illegal immigrants are not allowed to take a citizenship test unless they've bee LEGAL resident aliens for some time. Its a long, long process before anybody is allowed a citizenship test.

November 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill S.

Max, the fact that you wrote such a blatantly ignorant statement just shocks me. You think just by taking a citizenship test is ALL it takes? I'm friends with a man who's wife and step daughter are from the UK, and the amount of time and money that it takes to legally immigrate to this country is staggering. The hoop jumping,the paperwork, the money involved. Looking at all these stupid comments from other people, I think, "this is the america my grandfather and uncle fought for in both wars....they and me, are all disgusted."

November 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Steven

Until Mexico gets its house in order and stops relying on the remittences that come from those here for work to take care of their families in Mexico our immigration problem will not go away. When you can get an American to work in the fields all day picking our food to minimum wage or less we can't afford to have this problem resolved. Our ecomony is so interdependant on these workers since most Americans wouldn't want to do the jobs they take. We say we don't want the immigrants here but we really don't want to do without them.

November 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ndlily

So you're saying because Americans refuse to be abused by the system and struggle to keep an even hand between employers and employees so we can afford some token social services, the native born Americans and legalized Americans who are paid above the table and are taxed to pay for our "system" are to blame for the problems of those who refuse to help their situation and think only of themselves and those who abuse that group. Sorry, but as my grandfather would say, that dog won't hunt.

November 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • pocogeejo

I agree that Americans should be made to work in the fields.....there is already a capable list of workers on the welfare roles....what's so hard about this?????????????

November 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Black Cat Smoked Crack

ndilily,

No, don't read your own politics into this. He is saying that Mexico should get their house in order, for the benefit of it's citizens. Don't expect the US to be the answer to all the world's problems.

November 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • David, CA

I nominate pocogeejo to work in the fields. Sounds like the arrogant A.H. could use some humility and hard work.

November 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Check it out

Those working in the fields are a very small percentage of illegal workers in this country. There are programs in place right now that farmers can use to bring in workers from other countries to do the work. Problem is they don't want to pay the workers what the government says, so they hire illegals. If you think for one minute that our country would fall apart because of some workers wouldn't be able to work because they are illegal is just stupid. Right now there are millions of legal workers out of a job. Everytime illegal workers are let go there has always been legal workers to take their place. All this crap about jobs that legal residents won't do is just that crap.

November 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Steve,
      I think we talk about Illegal Immigrant. not just immigrant who wants and like to work for us

November 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Leaf on the Wind

ChrkeePrde, google NINA. It's an acronym meaning "No Irish Need Apply" and was very prominent on virtually all job postings at one time. Try again.

November 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  77. I'm just saying

You are not correct. Those Italian and Irish who attempted to come into the country legally had to pass mental and physical competency test before they would be allowed to enter. Those who came illegal got hell, but much less only because the numbers did not run into the 10's of millions and they did not depend of welfare for their needs. School systems did not have to change to accommodate their non English speaking children, and most of them make learning English a priority.

November 29, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. MyTake

This is the most unbelievably bias non-opinion article/report I have ever read on this site. If he killed himself there is a problem. The "reasons" are just window dressing for his mental illness. So sad, and even sadder that CNN decided to stoke the immigration issue over this poor boys death. RIP ... there could have been brighter days amigo.

November 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason

I agree! there's something wrong in his nogging where he would bypass his self preservation and off himself. using the excuse of not getting into college is just a way to bring some new light into the issue. If he didnt have the tools to deal with not being able to go to college then that isnt anyone's fault but his (and maybe his parents). the american people should not be blamed because one illegal killed himself over something that has ways around it.

November 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jimbo

So when a teenage boy kills himself after a bad breakup we blame the girlfriend? Come on, this is a trash article. Sorry to the family for your loss and sorry CNN stoops so low to utilize your loss to push a political agenda.

November 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  80. DB

This Congress, no the Congress's of the last 30 years have been absolutly worthless ever since Lawyers too it over.

November 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Truth

His own parents did this to him, but they will point fingers at their parasite host, the US govt and people. If his parents loved him, they would have stayed in their own country and fought for a better future for him right there.

November 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zumajim

What does blaming anyone for this tragedy accomplish? This boy killed himself out of despair and now how do you think his parents feel? They came to this country only to provide a better life for their child. I'm fairly certain they did not consider their child's advanced educational needs when they escaped the poverty and hopelessness of their native country. Please have a heart.

November 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • KGH

The parents are blaming the law, Zumajim. But it is their fault, they broke the law and brought their son with them. They should leave. Now.

November 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Where did your ancestors come from, Truth?

November 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • KGH

Perhaps Truth's ancestors came over like the ancestors of the vast majority of Americans, with the permission of the legal authority of the time, be it the US government or the government of a European colony. I know mine did.

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Frankline Delano Roosevelt had a Mistress

Ask me....my parents came from France and England, nearly 300 years ago, and 180 years ago, respectively. Legally, though my Mom's side came before there was a USA the laws were those of France.

Don't equate law breakers with legality because you don't agree with the law. Change it if you don't like it.

November 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Marquise

Every other country in the world has immigration laws but America is suppose to have an open door policy where anyone can enter. Most people including the illegal immigrants in this country locks the door to their homes, why? It is not safe! Who would allow a homeless person to walk into their home an live? Laws have a purpose.

November 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Johnjon

Happy republicans?

November 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max

How is it the fault of the Republicans? This kid had options, he just chose not to use them.

November 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shari

Johnjon – I am not a Republican, but this article and comments do NOTHING to help ANYTHING.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  83. SDMD

Shame on CNN for posting such a biased news report.. To blame this person's suicide on a piece of republican legislature is grossly deceiving. Nowhere in the article is there an indication that this person had been evaluated by a mental health professional or sought mental health care. It is completely irresponsible to blame something as tragic as this person's suicide to immigration policy. There was no mention of whether or not this person was being treated for depression.

Rather then focus on the DREAM act, the real focus should be on why an individual was not able to handle this obstacle in life in a healthy manner, or why he did not seek or have access to mental health care.

When a man commits suicide because his girlfriend dumps him, you don't say it was the girlfriends fault. There is an underlying mental illness that prevented the person from handling this event in a healthy manner. While Joaquin Luna's suicide is sad and devastating, the author of this article is using Luna's mental illness to advance some sort of political agenda.

November 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

I'm glad someone on here has an objective, non politically/geographically biased perspective on this situation. It is very sad that this kid decided to end his life but it is even sadder still that medical treatment never made it to him.. Also grossly pathetic that someone would twist this into a political leveraging tool. Where's the common sense and compassion in these idiots gone to??

November 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Bob Hitler

Don't they have University's in Mexico???? Or do they only teach there kids how to get accross the border. Round them up and send them back, then they can go to school in Mexico.

November 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • SGT J

They actually have a really good University in Mexico, and it's free. But the sad reality is nothing compares to a US education.

November 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • FFFF

Not my problem dude,,,,

November 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoFwd

It is extremely sad to read some of the comments in this blog. Many of you would not understand the mind of an individual whose dreams and hopes are controlled by others, in this case the kids parents for bringing him here, and secondly on politicians who use illegal immigration as currency. It is emarrasing to read some of these posts full of hate, ignorance and selfishness! ...my tax dollars, broke the law, ...'fortunately no american was '...killed in this story', what happend to "love thy neighbour", ..."give me your tired, your pour" ...."life, liberty and the persuit of happiness" These core beliefs...have shattered in to empty words. Many of the people posting opinions here, sound like past generations who belived slaughtering native Americans, slavery and Nazi docrtine were good. SAD

November 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  85. logan

Seriously? Illegals have better chances at going to college than actual born citizens.

November 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reagan Blows Liberals in the Alley

Only on your side of the family...

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LK1981

I am sorry, but apparently you have no idea what it means to be illegal in this country. There is no way you can go to school if you are illegal even if you did there is no way you can become legal since you have no visa to start with. It is not as easy as people think!!!

November 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  86. EvilleofCville

Americans do not know the value of an education. For people from other parts, it is a very important thing.

November 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ed Sr of Dallas Tx

This is a dirty crying shame!

November 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Johnny

A gallon of blood needs to be thrown on every single so called family value right wing conservative.

November 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • FFFF

I will glady do so if every border jump
      \ing illegal gets up and leaves ....fair?

November 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Darth Cheney

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

November 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Suzy

The amount of vitriol in these comments is utterly amazing to me. I might also note that many of these authors cannot even form a simple sentence. I , for one, sympathize with this family and feel terrible that this young man felt there was no hope. For all you morons out there: next time you or one of your family members is suffering from cancer and facing death, think about how one of these young illegal immigrants could have gone to college, studied medicine, and helped find a cure for cancer.

November 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Amen! This country would not be as great as it once was if not for immigrants. This point of view by the vitriolic writers of this post are shortsighted, mean spirited, and backwards. My ancestors came from Spain in the 16th century and from England in the 17th century. I doubt if anyone posting here can claim not to have come from immigrants.

November 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jimbo

I like how people always leave out the word 'illegal' in front of the word 'immigrant' like they are the same.

November 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Agreed. I'm only a couple of generations away from a potato farm in Ireland myself.

November 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • KGH

Leaf, if your ancestors came over because of the Irish potato famine, they bought a ticket on a boat and came LEGALLY into the country.

Very few of us are against LEGAL immigration, my own spouse is from another country. It is the illegals, who steal social security numbers, who keep down wages for unskilled American workers, who use services (like education) and pay little tax to support those services, which many of us are angry about.

November 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Special Ed

I know a guy who dropped out of high school, attended a trade school for elevator mechanics, and now at 25 years old, makes nearly 6 figures with no debt. I have a college degree, and am currently unemployed. If college was the only answer, then someone was asking this kid the wrong question.

November 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

Who told you that going to college is just to make good money?

November 29, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  92. MARK ROBBER

every person i know has some native american in their DNA so we are all native americans. even when they randomly check europeans DNA they find native american DNA in there. so guess what almost all americans are native americans and lots of europeans too

November 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • MARK ROBBER

with out a social security number how are his parents working? and owning a house. and how did he expect to get a job after college with no tax i.d. number? can anyone explain this?

November 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • amanda

They could buy property in their relative's name.

November 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nonimus

Where did you read that?

November 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  93. ChrkeePrde

IDIOT! Denial much? I know so.

November 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  94. FFFF

Irish and Italinas got no Crap? You need to read a book Son....

November 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChrkeePrde

No fool, nothing compared to how much grime the Mexos have to go through. YOU go back to school son. Know how long it took an Irish to become legal? Couple weeks. Any racial prejudice? Nope. Any laws threatening deportation? Nope.

November 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • slinky

yeah, someone needs to brush up on history.

November 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  95. I'm just saying

I'm saddened that whatever dispair caused this young man to end his life, but America and Americans can not be responsible for it. I am a multi-genenration American. Some of my ancestors were brought here as slaves, yet I am not sure if I will be able to afford to send my son to college when he graduates high school in 4 years. I certainly don't want to have to compete will illegal residents for the sparce amount of money that may facilitate him going to college.
    If I break the law my child will have to deal with the consequences of my actions, which would most likely end in him being placed in state custody. I know that children are not responsible for the actions of their parents, but like all parents, those coming illegally into the US must consider their children when they make a choice to break the law. i am really sick of laws being changed to accommodate law breakers. Can I walk into Ralphs and get Filet Mignon because I think its the best meat for my family? The world does not work like that. Also, why dont these "oh so bright students' apply to colleges in the country of their birth?

November 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

BS. If you son wants to go to College, he can get financial aid (including pell grant) and go. Stop blaming the illegals. Seems to be the typical back people's issue with the Mexicans.

November 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • I'm just saying

Its hardly a "Black thing". I have white and Samoan collegues sitting next to me and they agree. Check out the Pell Grants, much of it already goes to those born in this country to illegal parents. I am tired of having to feel bad for law breakers. Hell, I dont want to compete or have my child compete with people who should not be an issue.

November 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • klukas

A voice of common sense and probably an opinion shared by many thousands of Americans.

November 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

My family has been in this country since before it even was a country, and I find this disgraceful. Immigration built this country. The US was supposed to be the light of the world, and now we're just too good for "Those" people. Americans don't want to compete with "those" people for jobs. Don't want their children to compete with "those" people for college awards. Heaven forbid we should welcome otherwise hard working, law abiding, intelligent people into this country. The rest of us might actually have to better ourselves to compete with "them".

November 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Check it out

there you go leaving out the word illegal. How about we bring every person with an IQ and skills from India that are greater than yours, all of them. We would bring over millions and millions of people that would work for less and do a better job then you. Would that be fair? I mean heaven forbid you would have to compete with them. So now we allow millions and millions of uneducated low wage workers into this country and we tell our high school dropouts and the barely made out of high school to compete with them for lower and lower wages, is that fair? How does the first position I posted help America any better then the second position? Right now in my state we spend spend about 10l billion a year to take care of illegals while the state is 40 billion in the hole. How is that fair and how does that make my state and America better? You're not speaking with your brain, some other part of your body maybe but not your brain.

November 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  96. aaa

Why not go back to MEXICO and apply for a visa if he wants to come here, like everyone else does it..

November 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • vasechek

Mexico isn't very safe these days. you might get shot if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time...

November 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • mouser

Well, then tell the Mexican prez to do something about that. Mexico is dangerous so we're supposed to let all of them jump into the US ?? Alot of these illegals come into the country and then complain about not getting fair treatment or have to worry about being deported.

Why dont they have enough guts to demonstrate to their own president and government officials to make Mexico a better place to live and that way these people dont have to uproot their entire family and make a risky trip to the US. Most of these people would rather stay in Mexico anyway.

November 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michael

America is not a safe place these days, you may also get shot if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time ...

November 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lupita

Mexico has had the same problem since the 80's. I've lived there the last 15 years and it really only affects you if you are with the wrong crowds and deal with drugs. Students going to school there can find low cost housing, and earn a degree for free. Many of my friends are doing it.

November 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mouser

Exactly, this kid had options. He could have entered the country LEGALLY. More than likely his parents drug him here and they shouldnt have done that because it was just going to make his situation here more difficult. Apply to come here legally and you want have to worry so much about deportation and a lot more doors will opn for you. Too many people want to take shortcuts.

However, the process to come into the country legally probably needs to be overhauled so that it doesnt take 5 years or so to get permission although it shouldnt be so streamlined that you get permission overnight.

November 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • JTWStephens

Because he doesn't want to live in absolute poverty, surrounded by violence and drug wars, with virtually no possibility for living even a modest life?

It's not his fault where he was born.

November 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • carolyn

None of us asked to be born! And did not pick our parents or country! But here we are and we just have to deal with it.

November 30, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

How easy do you think a Mexican get a US visa?

November 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • carolyn

Beings,that we have 30 million more than we need,I would say not very easy.

November 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoFwd

Sounds simple, doesn't it. Because. there are only 60,000 visas given to immigrants every year. Of these visas, 40% go to immigrants from India who work in the IT sector, 40% go to doctors and scientists from from Eastern Europe and Asia and the rest are given to other types of immigrants. Newsflash for you, these people dont come to mow the lawn, baby sit or cook or work construction, they come for 6 figure american jobs. Please fact check these figures.

November 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • carolyn

And, please check your figures......1 million visas are given out every year.America gets 1 million new immigrants a year! When will it stop!

November 30, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Charlie_In_VA

This is a tragedy, but I refuse to believe that he "had no other option." Many people take and pass the citizenship requirements every year, and the fact that he's been in the country for so long & was ready to attend college would have played to his favor. I feel awful for his family, but to blame his boy's death on political brinkmanship is inappropriate. This article smacks of agenda (and I hate to say that because I lean more democratic than republican, but CNN really needs to learn to can the editorials – they're getting as bad as Faux News).

November 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

Not to be contentious but have you ever gone through the immigration process? My husband is from Canada and it took a couple thousand dollars and about a year and a half just to get him a green card (and over a year of that he had to spend waiting in Canada). It is an incredibly lengthy and expensive process and unless you fit certain classifications (child of, or spouse of a citizen) it's not always a guarantee you'll be accepted, and can't stay in the US while you wait. Many of these children, while citizens of other countries, can't speak the languages of those countries or know anyone in those countries or even remember living there. Imagine having to spend an entire year in a country foreign to you only to learn you may NOT be allowed back to your home. He may have had options, but he may not have had any particularly good options.

November 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Dave

The 1986 amnesty of 3 million increased the invasion.
    "The fact that these new INS figures show that the last amnesty actually attracted more illegal immigration should give serious pause to those now advocating another amnesty," said Steven A. Camarota, Director of Research at the Center for Immigration Studies.
    INS Report: 1986 Amnesty Increased Illegal Immigration WASHINGTON (Oct. 12, 2000)

My advice stay in your home countries and fix your problems, stop running away from the mess you have created.

November 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  99. atexan

Too bad it was not you.....

November 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Reggie

I read some of these comments and I have to say that you folks that wish to blame this kid for being here illegally makes me very angry ! I'm a Black American and this is wrong , it's not his fault that he was in this country , so if I say that due to what a lot of white folks have done to people in this country we should blame you for the sins of you for farther ! Do you think that would be fair ?? That's what you have said since he was here illegally !!!

November 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm just saying

I agree that the child could not control being in the US, but his parents are to blame, not the US. I too am a Black American, and I know prejudice, but this is not about that. This is about holding adults responsible for all the consequences that come with breaking the immigration laws. I am sure his country of birth has universities and they would probably love to have a highly intelligent English-speaking student in their midst. If I break a law, my child will have to deal with the consequences of it.....thats life.

November 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michael

Illegal immigration is just that, illegal ... period. We have a system that allows for legal immigration, though it may take time. It is based on knowing who enters out borders and what their history is, what kind of threat they may represent, and how they will meld into the population opposed to setting up "settlements" of their culture. If these people do not like the process that is in place, don't come here. This is our laws, coming here is breaking the law. If they are willing to break the law to enter the country, what other laws are they willing to break? This kid was not at fault, it was the actions of his parents that caused this pressure on him, and they will have to live with the consequences. It's truly tragic. But, whatever the pressure, he chose to take his own life, this was his doing. He could have self studied the field he wanted to enter, go back home to his country of origin and apply legally for citizenship. He was 18, he was an adult. Bottom line is that it is a privilege to gain citizenship to this country, not a right unless born here. We are too weak on illegal immigration into this country, Israel does not have the same problem, yet those living in the west bank, gaza strip and other arab nations like Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon etc ... are by far more impoverished, have a higher unemployment rate and far less opportunities than Mexico. Mexico City is one of the largest cities in the world, it is a busy metropolis filled with plenty of opportunity. To think that the situation along the boarder is indicative of all of Mexico is just ridiculous. I have no sympathy for this individual or for the situation these parents placed this kid in. I do however feel for the loss the parents are going through with his death. But, let's be honest, it wasn't because of immigration, it was because this kid didn't think he could fulfill his dreams and took a cowardly way out.

November 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |