November 29th, 2011

Family says undocumented student killed himself over fears he'd never go to college

By Rafael Romo, Senior Latin American Affairs Editor

(CNN) - Joaquin Luna was only 18. The senior at Juarez Lincoln High School in Mission, Texas, dreamed of going to college. But since he was in the country illegally, that was nearly impossible.

Luna was quickly losing hope of ever going to college, his family says. The Friday after Thanksgiving, Luna put on a suit, kissed his family members, went into the bathroom and shot himself in the head, according to family members.

"He didn't see no other way or no other option," his brother Diyra Mendoza told CNN affiliate KGBT.

Mendoza found the body after hearing the gunshot.

"As soon as I pulled him out to the kitchen, I could see the bullet hole and there was no movement, no signs of anything," Mendoza said. "He was gone."

Mendoza says the letters his brother left behind reveal his fears about being in the country illegally. He also was frustrated because the DREAM Act - an initiative that would legalize young immigrants who have been in the country for more than five years if they attend college or serve in the military - never passed.

It's estimated that the DREAM Act would benefit about 2 million young people. It failed by five votes in the Senate last December. A new push by Democrats in Congress this year also didn't go far.

Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, a Democrat, who has been pushing for the measure for a decade, testified at a congressional hearing in June. "The Dream Act would make America a stronger country by giving these talented immigrants the chance to fulfill their potential." Durbin said.

But Republican lawmakers call the bill "blanket amnesty" and have strongly opposed it. Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, calls it "a band-aid and maybe worse, it would provide an incentive for future illegal immigration."

The DREAM Act was also a hot-potato issue in the November 22 CNN debate of Republican presidential candidates. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich spoke in favor of the DREAM Act. "I don't see any reason to punish somebody who came here at 3 years of age, but who wants to serve the United States of America," Gingrich said.

Mitt Romney agreed with Gingrich saying the he "would staple a green card to the diploma of anybody who's got a degree of math, science, master's degree, Ph.D. We want those brains in our country."

But Michele Bachmann denounced it, warning the measure would "offer taxpayer-subsidized benefits to illegal aliens. We need to move away from magnets not offer more."

Back in Texas, Mendoza is thinking of other young immigrants like his brother. "It's like all these kids that are here. They're all dependent on that DREAM Act to keep on studying," Mendoza said.

But with a Congress unable to reach a compromise to reduce the deficit and presidential elections less than a year away, the chances of any immigration bill being passed seem unlikely.

soundoff (1,898 Responses)
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There are 7 billion people in the world. How many do you want to just let walk in?

November 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

Uhh I was born here, I served in the military, I pay taxes. Like when I went to work in Korea, I applied, got my work visa, paid their taxes, obeyed their laws and respected their culture. And if I broke their laws on any of these things...I would get deported, like several people I knew. Don't give me i was lucky to be born here, weak and ingnorant argument. I am not rich, I work hard and earn what I do have. All I want is for people to do it the right way, like I did with my wife when she came from Korea.

November 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. IfWeHadMoreMoney

Putting emotions aside, we don't have anymore money to sustain the +6 million illegal immigrants and worse yet, by law the govt. have to tend to the anchor babies. This country is already weakening by borrowing money from China and our citizens defaulting on loans, infact at this pace by 2020 we would owe +$20,000,000,000,000,000. I wouldn't mind putting my tax dollars to the people who wants to help this country, but right now just isn't the time.

November 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • tvmc

Thanks Edwin!

November 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • tvmc

Seriously, you honestly think we don't have the wealth to take care of them? Despite what you hear about the economy not doing well, we are still an extremely wealthy country. It just so happens that a few hold most of the wealth and you and I are not among those few. Collectively, if we have money to buy toys, electronics, 40,000 vehicles, $300,000 homes, than surely we can help out people who are used to living on less than $10 a day.

November 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • IfWeHadMoreMoney

Smfh. You need to read a bit upon the current financial system of this country and take some Economic courses. Most of the people who are "buying" these $300,000 homes are not buying with their own cash but instead borrowing money from foreign banks through loans. The wealth we claim to have are not ours anymore, they belong to China and we owe them a lot. Also adding on more salt to an open wound, if we legalize the illegals, then we are basically spending more money that we physically don't have, the govt would have to pay their welfare, healthcare, and college loans. If they can't repay for their college loans w/ interest, then the whole financial system defaults again just like 2007-2008 but this time, they can not claim Chp. 13 – bankruptcy on student loans, meaning they are screwed for life affecting the rest of the Americans out there.

November 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Will

Exactly. I'm an American and I couldn't afford to go to college after leaving high school. Yet some how illegals think it's unfair if they can't.

November 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. B2Tall

In spite of what CNN would like everyone to believe, this kid committed suicide because he had deep-seated psychological problems as evidenced by his extreme actions. He did NOT kill himself because of US immigration laws. And even if he did, so what?? Should we change a wide-reaching (and very reasonable) national policy just because some unstable kid offs himself??? Nope.

November 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miles

By meeting the quota of one editorial piece to lament every underrepresented group, injustice, or sad situation, we are as a society able to remain guilt-free and tell ourselves that "we care about these things."

November 29, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Tough but better him than my kid, sorry but I've seen too many American citizens denied rights by jerks that would see illegals take the place of American citizens whether deserved in some minds or no. I fought in Vietnam to preserve rights for my kids and Americans not for illegals that take our jobs because they work cheaper. I used to get good plumbers but not anymore, now they all speak spanish same is true with all the services. I would rather order a Micky D from a kid working his way through college than an illegal. Traitors would say Americans won't take those jobs, well I remember a time they did...

November 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rodimus

Here comes Santa Claus, Here Comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane... Whoa. Oops. Sorry pedro, didn't see you blew your head off. Don't mind me as I move your body over so I may pinch a loaf. I see you couldn't get into College. What? You're here illegally? Wait, you knew that? I should stab you with a candy cane and left Rudolph have his way with you. I'm 2nd generation dont give a !@!@

November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Simple Truth

As long as you continue to argue over all of these DIVISIVE issues, like who is your neighbor and who is here legally and who has what you think you should have.....The Big Corporations and Govt are happy. They don't have to really do anything to make things fair...they leave the little people to fight amongst themselves for the crumbs they leave behind...Divide and Conquer! They win!

November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. I guess the selling oranges

comment was too real for this "winning" piece of journalism

November 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hecep

Hey, Call Me Sam... can we call you something else?

November 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Me

How about we deport all of the horrible people like you, who celebrate the death of another human being. I sure hope you aren't really an American citizen because you are a shame to this country if you are.

November 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Virginia

You are sick

November 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. downinfront

What would Jesus do? Oh yea, no one cares.

November 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • pogojo

Jesus would follow the laws of the land that he is going to visit.

November 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • ....

the crusaders didn't follow that pearl of advice.....but that doesn't matter right....

November 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • pogojo

I was talking Jesus, and you bring up the crusades, sad.

November 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • carhag

Jesus consistently defied the laws. Study your bible a bit, He was actually a bit of a radical.

November 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jesus Freak

Yeah right. What Jesus are you thinking of? Jesus Christ was a bit anti-authority if I remember my Bible studies correctly, and I do.

November 29, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • JesusWould HelpThem

What a fool you are! Jesus would not have to follow man's laws! It is the other way around if people truly want to align with Christianity and obey God. And Jesus would embrace ALL of God's creations to become All That They Can Be! End of story.

November 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • IfWeHadMoreMoney

Actually Mr. JC was against organized religion and was against the Roman Empire in terms of treating the people.

November 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Observer2011

The Laws are made by men...sadly, thet don't always work right

November 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Born in the USA

Amen, brother. If more of us would think like Jesus instead of using patriotism and religion as excuses for our fearful bigotry, this country could be great again!

November 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Franxizco

yes leave jesus out of this, dosent matter if ur american, mexican, asian..etc. discussing about a suicide not bibical studies

November 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Maybe feed five thousand men (plus uncounted woman and children totalling perhaps 30,000) with five loaves of bread and two fish.

November 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TheBuckStopsHere

CNN: The soundng board of pro-illegal immigation lobbying!

November 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Or how about the sounding board for people who don't want to punish the children who did not choose to come here illegally. They were dragged by their parents. You should widen your views a little bit and stop thinking of all illegals the same way. The are very obviously not the same thing at all.

November 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. zane

If you dont want to worry about being here illegally, leave the country or get a green card.

November 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hmm

you know what they are people yes their parents shouldn't have broken the law, but the poor kid didn't have a choice when he came here. yes he should have aplied for papers or a visa but honsetly thats harsh to say you wish the rest of to do the same. You put yourself in their situations, all they were probally trying to do was give their children a better future. We aren't an awesome country ourselves, we are spolied selfish brats who think that we are so awesome when we are insanely stupid.

November 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. amom

Completely agree.

November 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JT

Probably. The racist Democrats too. So are the racist independents.

November 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. AlanW

These people work harder in a week than you have in your entire, sheltered life. When I read your comment, all I can think is, "Oh please."

You're complaining about the tribulations you faced while under the umbrella of the United States and then have the gall to tell people whose only goal is to have the same opportunities you had that, "It's my country. I was born here by an accident of birth, but that doesn't matter. It's mine! Get out."

It's a shame all those life experiences never taught you anything about being a human being.

November 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. PJ

Anecdotal stories of illegals don't cut it. Illegal is illegal and criminal. All illegals should be deported asap and made to apply for legal status from their own country, The United States is not their country.

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • hecep

I wonder if American Indians thought the same thing when the Europeans dropped in.

November 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • So

I'm sure they did...illegal is illegal. Seems easy to grasp? Either way, clearly, he wasn't as strong as others-we call this survival of the fittest. Next...(I mean, if we are evolved animals after all...)

November 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

Native Americans didn't have immigration laws. We do.

November 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • IfWeHadMoreMoney

I know you share feelings with this dead kid but the fact of the matter is, we don't have anymore money to sustain the +6 million illegal immigrants. This country is already weakening by borrowing money from China.

November 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • pogojo

we wnt to war with American Indians, are there any left anymore? and im not talking a mexican who thinks they are an indian, i mean a real indian.

November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • hecep

JT – Clearly, you do not have the capacity to differentiate "law" from the concept of right and wrong.

November 29, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

So you are going to punish children for the crimes their parents committed or forced them to commit? They didn't choose to come here as children and should not be prosecuted or discriminated against because of their parents' decision. The adults who willingly came here are the ones you need to focus on.

November 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raja Drambo

It used to be illegal for women and blacks to vote. Remember booze was illegal for a while too. Laws change, the right thing to do never does.

November 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. StuckIN2000

I BLAME GEORGE BUSH!

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Verdad

That's so sad. Let's just make Mexico's 31 states part of the U.S. Oh, wait, they hate us, they just love our economy so they won't go for that. OK. let's just give them our country. They aren't willing to work to change theirs, just move to ours.

November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mr Jimmy

thieves... you stated...

"Now now Mr. Jimmy. lets not forget it was your people who came to this land illegally. It is you who is here illegally. How good it must feel to point your finger at someone else and how the feeling of the word illegal must be rolling off your tongue. Shame on you Mr. Jimmy"

Shame on you Sir...

"My people" came here legally on a boat from Germany. They were/are legal naturalized citizens... Thank you!

November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. I would

have done the same if I knew the rest of my life I would be selling oranges on the street corner.

November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. the law

hay I'm sick of giving our hard earned tax money away... do your job and leave...

November 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Seth

Sam,

If this kid went to college, he would have to pay. College is not free. And, he would also pay taxes. Duh! We should have let him go to college and work.

November 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

How does he pay taxes if he is illegal? So what tution does he pay...in state? illegally earned and unfair to all other out of state students who pay much much more. Illegal is illegal...go home do it right and I will welcome you with open arms.

November 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. jacksays

we did nothing but be born here legally. this young man wasn't born here.

Why is it so hard to simply follow the process already in place to become a legal citizen of the USA? that's what i'd have to do in your country.

November 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlanW

Simple process? Are you out of your mind?

It takes about 5-7 years and THOUSANDS of dollars.

November 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosie

You clearly have not conducted any research on this topic. DO YOU REALLY believe that if they we able to follow the "legal" process they wouldn't! There are so very few Visa's granted on a yearly basis. THAT IS WHY! They don't break to law just for fun! They want to eat and feed their family. Guarantee you I would do the same thing! My family/kids mean alot to me. Oh, by the way, having worked along side many legal and illegal immigrants - they are usually far better and more reliable employees. WHY - because they are just delighted to have a job. I pray you never walk in their shoes.

November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

So if it's difficult then it's not the right thing to do?

November 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • pogojo

Im sure if you had something to offer, the process can be sped up, but for the ones who only want to live off of the system yes there is a line.

November 29, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. bresson

heartless...

November 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. pogojo

we bacame citizens because of our ancestors came legally, I am a citizen because my parents were citizens when i was born.

November 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bresson

Actually we didn't come here legally (those who can trace their lineage back to this country's roots). Our ancestors committed treason and revolted against their country and built a new one on stolen land.

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • pogojo

wow it was hundreds of years ago, and i believe a war was faught to build this country. In 2011 we have established laws on immagration, follow them and we welcome you, dont and you can go home.

November 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Edwin

If I lived in Mexico nowadays, I'd do anything to leave. It isn't safe. I don't care what you all would do - I'd work in the U.S. if they let me; if not, I'd sneak in to do menial work. For me, my family is more important than any abstract law. I'd break 100 abstract laws if it helped keep my family safer, and give them a slightly better chance at a decent life. Anyone who says they'd do differently is either lying or doesn't care much for their family.

In my book, we are ALL illegal aliens at heart, because we'd ALL do it in without second thoughts, if the situation were reversed.

... I can hear a lot of you saying, 'why wouldn't they do it *legally*?' Good question, but there is also a good answer: there is a big cost, and there are quotas. We don't let just ANYONE enter - someone must sponsor you, such as a family member or an employer. There are only a limited number of such visas given out each year, so only a few very lucky individuals get to come in. Basically, if you have no family here and no real money and no education, you have no chance of legal immigration.

Think I'm making that up? Do a little research. It is ghastly how limiting the legal approach is. It is also quite expensive, especially if you are a poor immigrant.

November 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Clearly in this case his family had the same mindset as you. Unfortunately it just didn't work out the way they planned.

November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

.....and by your logic, if your son blows his brains out then live with it cuz that's the price you pay. Now who's heartless?

November 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. A

Poor kid. We all lack perspective when we're teenagers... it's up to our parents to talk to us about our options, and help us see what's important. Your brain isn't fully developed until you're 22, and it's hard to have a healthy grasp of things before then. I hope all the parents out there hear this story, and all the others about kids taking their own lives, and be sure they're aware of what their children are thinking and how it's affecting them.

November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

And THAT's a clear-headed comment.

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Emily

Of course, we have to make this debate about illegal immigration and not a discussion that a young man felt he had no other options and took his own life. How desperate he must have felt. My heart goes out to his family for their loss and I hope others can get over their political ideologies and do the same

November 29, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. sambo

his parents now need to be deported.

November 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  32. JT

We did nothing. It's a right of birth. However, that does not justify someone else breaking the law.

November 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franxizco

i didnt do anything either, parents brought me here when i was a child

November 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Sounds to me like you ARE doing something wrong – living illegally in a country without the right to be here and refusing to take the proper steps to correct the situation. Just because your parents put you in a bad situation doesn't mean you shouldn't step up and do the right thing and rectify it.

November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. sambo

Blame La R a Z A and their anti american stand

November 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JT

No, the only one to blame here is the one who pulled the trigger. The parents made mistakes, the world isn't "fair", but that doesn't take responsibility away from the 18-year-old adult who pulled the trigger.

November 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • teresa, ohio

POINT TAKEN, JT

November 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franxizco

YEP

November 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Tom

Hmm what nationality are you dumb (_|_) ? ever think that your family might have come here illegally and you are a by product of the fact that they were to poor to afford a condom? Your mom swallowed the better part of you

November 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ytuque

The best thing that could happen to Mexico is for illegal immigrants to return. The returnees have picked up some business skills, English proficiency, and a lowered tolerance to corruption. These are all things Mexico is in dire need of.

Is Mexico such a hell-hole that a person is better off committing suicide than returning? I have met many Mexicans who have been well educated and in fact enjoy life there.

November 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • gloria

ummmmmm yes it is that bad lol

November 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • jnixed

That is actually a very interesting point .. some sort of shared education program where potential future leaders can be educated in the states and then return to work in/improve their own country. I wholeheartedly agree, given enough "Americanization" they would not suffer the corruption that ills Mexico

November 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • JemimaPD

Commision for Education and Cultural Exchange manages the Fulbright-Robles Scholarship program between Mexico and the USA. Many, Many schools offer exchanges between Mexico and the USA.

November 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. proamerica

His life. His decision. What's the problem?

November 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franxizco

damn straight

November 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

The problem, the complete and utter lack of human kindness on your part, that's the problem.. the compelte and utter selfishness on your part.. a child.. it's pathetic. If we stopped all military brought every solider home, got rid of fat pensions for leaders who NEVER see any time in battle then there would be a ton of money to help others. I'm PRO America, pro an America that gives it's tired and poor a break, not redneck morons.

November 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jsep

Another idiot looking for an excuse to off himself. I don't feel sorry for anyone who commits suicide, especially when they try to justify the waste of life like this. There were and are people a lot worse off who managed to overcome their situations. His life is so much better now I'm sure.

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emila

You are an evil pig

November 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Vanny

I feel bad for the young man. Living in hiding, illegally all your life isn't easy . Imagine being felt left out, scared, with no guidance or option. Only to be told, there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, maybe in 5 years, you'll be legal just like many of your classmates. You can do it, yes we can. That hope only to be shot down, by a mere 5 votes. It's sad , that people who have the opportunity to excel, to achieve their maximum, don't appreciate what is given to them for free and take it for granted, commit crimes. While others, suffer from the choices of their parents and remain trapped , in a world, where no one wants to help. If you are here, posting negative comments, go look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, what have I done to deserve where I am right now? Do I take freedom for the option to excel for granted? Or am I just a low life heartless person, who only promotes hate

November 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jellylee2020

For your information, education in this country is NOT FREE. Who pays for the teachers and the school staff's salaries? Who pays for the buildings, its construction and maintenance? Who pays for the equipments and materials? Here's a hint, not the illegal immigrants.

November 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Diane

In case you didn't know this, there are illegals who do pay taxes which pay for schools. Also, college is paid for by the students. If any student works hard enough, they can earn scholarships to pay for school. Grants alone do not and will not pay for school entirely. I qualify for almost the full Pell Grant amount ($5500/year max-not semester) and I made less than $10K last year. If I can't qualify for the full $5500, not many people will. Don't make the mistake and think that the government is going to pay for their entire tuition so that the education they want to get at a college or university is free to them. It won't be.

November 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • BigR

You are correct his family is not paying the school, but most likely the teachers and schools are still being payed by the illegal immigrants. Most likely he was living in an apartment due to the needs of paperwork that is required to purchase a house. If he was living in an apartment and was paying rent, then the landlord would have money to pay for the property taxes. And in TX it is property taxes that pay for the schools. So while they are not paying for the school directly, indirectly they still do.

November 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • well....

Every action has consequences, sometimes those are good, and sometimes those are bad. Typically, breaking the law results in unpleasant consequences. Though I sympathize for this young man's family, nothing stopped him from returning to his country of origin and going to college there.

I'm not heartless, I just believe the law should be upheld and I don't believe in giving amnesty to those who have broken the laws of the land. If they truly wanted to have a life in the US, they would return home and enter the country legally and earn their citizenship like millions upon millions of people have done before them.

November 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • jacksays

@Well...

i couldn't possibly agree with you more. spot on response.

November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. CodeMonkee

His parents must be consumed with guilt for having illegally entered this country and denying him the opportunity to attend college in his native Mexico. Some people just shouldn't procreate.

November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

I agree-someone should have told your parents that.

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • cleanslate2012

lol!!

November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosie

Guess you don't have any kids. If I lived in Mexico and made $40 a week and needed to feed, clothe and provide shelter for my kids, you better believe I'd come to the US legally or illegally! You have no clue what it is like living in their shoes or the shoes of any other impoverished country!

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tahirah

Really they have it hard, I would suggest they try India, where the average family makes about 25 dollars a week and you must feed, cloth,e, house and educate your family on that. Or you could not be middle class and live on 1 dollar a day. The alternate name for Bombay/Mumbai is SLUMBAI. Yet these people can do things the right way and apply the correct way at the US Consulate for a Green card and come to America Legally. Millions have done so. Latinos seem to think everyone owes them something. That they are above the law. The hard working Indian family puts education to the top of the list, works very hard is very family oriented. THEY DON'T Break the Laws of the Land. They do become active and productive members of the community. Many provide free medical care one day a week at the Church they attend, In short the become American They don't throw loud obnoxious mexican drunken parties every Friday Night.

November 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Open your mind

Everybody has the right to pursuit what is best for the family. If you selfish pigs, didn't have hope in this country, you would go to mexico, France or China to give a better life to your family. These people are strong, because it takes strong people to come to this country and face the obstacles they face.
      This earth and the resources belong to the human race. You norrow minded selfish pigs.

November 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cheryl

Wherever did you come up with that right????? You do not have the right to pursue what is best for your family if it is against the law! Duh!

November 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • jas104

Agreed, this article definitely seems bias, as if the not passing of that law was the sole reason for his demise (I am for the DREAM act though). It's ultimately because of his parents coming here illegally and if they did it because they couldn't afford to feed their kids then they shouldn't have them, common sense. The article doesn't mention whether they were able to or ever did apply for a green card but that's a first step in the right direction. It would relieve so much stress not only for you but in this case for your kids too. I have no problem with people immigrating here, regardless what country they're from, but when you do it illegally it's just that....illegal.

November 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • negative nancy

Strong to come to the feeding trough where the land of milk and honey is provided for by blue collar working idiots like me who have no time to look up from the grind stone their nose is usually buried in.

November 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  40. TallinOK

Hey CNN, why doesn't your benefactor, Ted Turner, pay for all the illegal's education and health care with his billions?

November 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

The article is about the fear and loss and pain, Ted Turner's money won't eradicate the hate and anger the 'pubs and tear party jerks have created.. your lack of sensitivity and caring is apallilng.

November 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. RayJacksonMS

Blame yourselves parents. This was clearly your fault and no one else's. You brought him here illegally. You broke the law. It's a pity he had to suffer due to your lack or morals.

November 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • gloria

lack of morals???? excuse me?? can you read to yourself what you just wrote and define lack of morals again???

November 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • you must be an illegal symp....

yes lack of morals.

The parents broke the law, and the child suffered for it. The child death is a lesson from God to teach those illegals to follow the Laws of a civil society or be struck-en down with his wrath!

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • gloria

Well Mr. I have a lot of morals..NOT!.....I am a half white and half mexican 100% born in the US american citizen, to your dismay, and I am a TRUE CHRISTIAN, so to me your so-called morals are a bunch of BS, sorry to dissapoint you lol

November 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Morals + "True Chrtistian"

is equal to saying 'Lets take a mess of priests and lock them in a room with young boys because nothing "bad" could happen.

November 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • gloria

Ummmmmmm surrrrreeeeeeeeeeee.....(crazy nut)....

November 29, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • i

couldn't agree more

November 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Person

Either way, his lives getting messed up. His parents brought him here for better opportunity. When the DREAM act. failed he had no other choice. Either that or be in poverty in Mexico. You can't blame them.

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • you are right!!!

because Mexico is to much of a cr@p hole to have colleges.....

oh wait...it does have Colleges.....

I guess its the poor planning of the parents that cause this kid to off himself.

November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Diane

There are colleges there, but this is and has always been his home. A lot of children are brought here and then raised here so the only home they know is the one they have here. The colleges in Mexico are probably not as good as the ones here anyway. A lot of these children probably don't remember Mexico at all so sending them back there would do way more harm than good. Open your heart and your mind. Don't blame the children for the crimes of their parents.

November 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Eddie

There are, IMO, valid reasons for taking one's own life. "Because I cannot go to college" isn't one of them.

November 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Good point.......there had to be something else going on. There are plenty of American kids who can't go to college, although they want to, and find ways to get an education.

November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • kate

I think the point wasn't college, more the point was not being able to become a citizen.

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • jacksays

@kate

why couldn't he become a citizen? millions before him have. millions more will. there's a process, follow it.

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  43. NOILLEGALS2011

AMERICA WAKE UP. and secure these borders, so we dont have to here this crap about illegals thinking because they snuck under a fence, and walked thru some cactus, that we owe them a free college education for their kids.

November 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • alanjay1

And what did you do to deserve the opportunity to benefit from living in America? What makes you so special?

November 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • tu padre

uh, he was born in america. its called being a natural citizen.

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • sockpuppet

well so going by that logic, so-called anchor babies should be natural born as well

November 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malik

I DONT have to HERE this crap and I didn't walk THRU some cactus.

November 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • pickle

HERE should be spelled "HEAR"... I recommend a vocabulary class. Also, you cannot HEAR written words.

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kyle

Do you not know the difference between 'here' and 'hear'?

November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Gabe

No one can be blamed for this kid taking his own life. He made the decision on his own and doubt it's just because his illegal status and not being able to attend college. His parents probably did not provide a support system to help him cope with the fact they brought him into the country illegally, thus setting him up for failure at a young age. I'm sure they lied to him, saying everything will be fine and with hard work he can acheive the American Dream. Not even American citizens can achieve the American Dream; people losing jobs, losing homes, cost of a college education skyrocketing, increasing personal debt, to name a few things. Also, people forget the parents of these 2 million kids are solely to blame for this situation and should not blame Congress for not passing the DREAM Act to fix the mess the parents made.

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • TallinOK

Absolutely right.

November 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franxizco

Wow someone who gets the whole picture, except I DON'T blame my parents for coming here, they did what they wanted/needed to do. things happen and nobody has a time machine to fix things. i suck it up and keep going for good or for bad. gave up on the congress crap a long time ago-got to work

November 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

WHAT ABOUT FEELING SORRY! some compassion, where the hell is everyone's compassion, drinking tea I suppose.. have we become so inerred and selfish we cannot feel this young kids pain? he probably had other problems but this is one small contributing factor.. all the PRO amerikers on here, anti immigration sorts show zero care, concern and sadness over the death of an 18 year old, America is truly lost if this is what we are.. very sad.

November 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • jacksays

we feel sorry for the childs family. they lost a son, who wouldn't feel sorry?

but they don't feel sorry for people like him and his family who come here ILLEGALLY and EXPECT to go to our schools, our colleges, draw on our social security and yet not contribute in the same manner we do.

there's a process for entering this country legally. millions have done it. millions will do it. he and his family should have done it.

November 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cheryl

You should talk to the author of the article about compassion. Looks to me like he has no compassion for the kid. He is only using this poor dead kid to try and get his opinion on immigration across – sad!

November 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emila

You do not know this family. How can you judge them? If you were in a place where you didn't have hope and you thought you could better your family's future... wouldn't you do whatever it takes?

November 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • JemimaPD

Doing "whatever it takes" does not include breaking the law!

Law abiding people look for options, they just do not include as options those things that are against the law. There are ALWAYS legal options.

November 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Hali

II think there is more to the story than they are making it sound. I suspect there are other issues besides him being an illegal–maybe a girlfriend involved or bullying. Who knows. But taking your life just because you don't have papers? In California, if you are an illegal student, you can go to college with in-state tuition as long as you graduated a high school there. I don't know how it is in Texas. There are always ways to attend a college if you have a will. Life is build on hopes and dreams. It breaks my heart to see a young man taking his life like that. Very sad!

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

you are pretty delusional if you really think that there is always a way to attend college i you have a will....

November 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hali

Maybe I am, but I never heard anyone taking their own life just because they couldn't go to college. Get real. The story is politicized. Whatever it is the reason he did that, it's very sad.

November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

Get a job. Spend less than you earn. Work hard in the hopes of getting promoted or a raise. Wait until your savings equals tuition plus living expenses for five years plus 10%. Go to school.........even if you're 65 and have to go to school in Mexico City.

Or do you honestly think the only way to get to college is to have it handed to you by a full-ride UCLA scholarship?

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • gloria

ummm there is...apply to college, get financial aid and if needed work while you go to college....voilaaa! college education lol

November 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Aryamo

Couldn't he just apply for citizenship or a education visa? Isn't the government work more with immigrants who are youth as oppose to those who are adults? All I know is, if I MOVED to another country... I would seek citizenship ASAP. I don't think there is anything wrong with migrating to a country... just do it legally and take care of the paperwork!

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryamo

or an* education visa... my bad

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

if it was that easy, don't you think all of the illegals would just "do the paperwork"?? LOL wow you have no clue.

November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

Do you really think they've made an honest effort to do so?

November 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

No, I do not think that is all that has to be done. However, that is a place to start. Or do YOU think that there should be NO attempt to follow the law because it's difficult?

November 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Wondering

This is a real tragedy, and I'm heartsick for the family. However, I wonder about the news reports that politicize this death. The article begins by stating that he was worried because he would never be able to go to college because he was an illegal immigrant, that goes on to imply that he was distraught that even after he had earned a college diploma, he would not become a naturalized citizen. That doesn't add up.

He was probably a young kid suffering from anxiety and depression who didn't know who to turn to and lost hope. Sad to say it happens every day, and it rarely has to do with which immigration bill passed or did not pass in congress.

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hali

II thought the same thing too. I think they are politicizing the story. But nevertheless, it's an awful tragedy.

November 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Matt Oh

Most of you seem to be greatly proud of the flawless "law-abiding" records as if none ever committed a breach of law. Of course, I'm not calling you a hypocrite. I'm just pointing out that some of you are just too enthusiastic about condemning illegal immigrants for all the causes of social breakdowns.

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryamo

What have you done? I don't mess with the law.

November 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Matt Oh

Of course you don't breach any laws. You are an upright, virtuous citizen who leads by an example of demonstrating others that "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" truly does not apply to an individual like you because of the ascribed divine nature you were innately given.

November 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryamo

I never said I do not make mistakes in life... but I definitely don't mess with stuff that's illegal.

November 29, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Matt Oh

I never said you do not make mistakes in life. In fact, everyone, whether they know it or not, makes mistakes. One thing you overlooked is that if you are going to take a hardline on immigration policy on illegal immigration, you should research into more about the discriminating nature of the immigration law that is not based on fundamental fairness and soundness which in turn creates this sort of controversial mess in our domestic affairs.

November 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Matt Oh

And also there is one thing you should know: Laws are man-made. Therefore, some arbitrary laws do not necessarily exist to enforce social orders, but rather to protect some interests of other groups mainly in power.

November 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. kp

He was a kid when he was brought to this country. Do not blame your misery on this kid. If you do so , you are a coward.

November 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  50. fgfggf

you have got to be kidding!
    HOW ABOUT GOING TO THE UNIVERSITY BACK HOME???
    pathetic article. Shame on you CNN. How many american families CANNOT AFFORD to send their kids to the university? And somehow, they don't end up killing themselves.
    RIDICULOUS

November 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • San Juaninos

One down, several thousand more to go.

November 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • koshka

I agree...Just a couple of weeks ago i met a young lady working in one of the resorts in Puerto Vallarta who came for eduction to Mexico, and she was a US citizen!

November 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • captainahabswife

I am Native American Indian - all of you f'ing white people from European countries need to get the hell out now.

I can't believe some of you celebrate this child's suicide. Mexico is a horror show now with dead bodies littered all around - some 300+ women are dead in the Ciudad Jaurez area - killed by no one knows and the count grows everyday.

This country is made up of immigrants and those who want to be here and contribute to this society (unlike some white trailer trash mamma selling meth while getting her disability check) should be allowed to do so.

This was a woman's child. And each of you mock her grief by making fun of his desire to better himself. May you rot in hell.

November 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. haveaheart

Diane,

The boy's family, that knew him, were the ones that stated what had been weighing on him, not CNN. Teens are often short sighted when it comes to their troubles. It's sad. Yes, CNN is using this tragedy to illustrate a problem. In doing that they are showing their bias. But maybe despite bias, it's a tragedy that needs to be told. Are you really so heartless as to think that because there wasn't a story on a jobless person's suicide that this boy's story isn't worthy? All stories of human tragedy are worthy. You embody what is wrong with the United States, ignorance.

November 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I'm with Newt on this one, something similar to the DREAM Act but only if you're going to help our country. Also, it's pathetic that CNN is exploiting the tragic death of this young man to push their leftist immigration agenda.

November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hali

I am sure there a lot of things he didn't tell his family. Especially teens are not very open about talking with adults around them. That's why we have so many teen suicides.

November 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Youhypocrits

Yeah... your ancestors should have been deported as well by the native americans,,, bunch of hypocrites!!!! Liars!!!! Very convenient for you!!! you messed up "America" and now look at any sign of trouble to assign blame.. H Y P O C R I T E S !!!!

November 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

So.........what were the immigration laws of the native Americans that all of our ancestors violated?

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • alanjay1

Read a history book and learn about all of the broken promises and the outright genocide. Learn the actual story of Thanksgiving.

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

I asked what native American immigration laws were broken. I'm still waiting for your answer.

November 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Miles

JT don't be ridiculous...of course there were no "laws". That doesn't mean it's not hypocritical.

November 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

There's nothing hypocritical about it. If you want to argue that the flood of illegal immigrants in the United States today is an invasion equal to what the native Americans experienced then you should also argue that the United States has the right to do as the native Americans did and declare total war and fight to drive out those who are trying to take the land. Which is exactly what the native Americans tried to do. So which is it? You want an all out war or do you want to have modern rules? That's the problem with arguing from analogy. You get burned.

The fact is, the argument about native Americans and the immigration from Europe is a perfect example of tu quoque and has nothing to do with the illegal actions of those who illegally reside in the United States today. If somebody wants to argue that illegal immigration in the 21st century is the same as immigration in the 15th and 16th century where the cultures, technology, societies, and legal structures are completely different then they are being overly simplistic.

November 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Miles

I'm still choosing to call you ridiculous by implicitly trying to make a large argument about immigration as a whole by implying that the native americans had no written laws, so therefore there was nothing wrong with colonizing.

I'm not arguing for or against native americans or anything like that. I just think that the notion that written laws would have meant anything is ridiculous.

November 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • real citizen

RAJA DRAMBO:

Who is determining right from wrong? You? That is completely subjective and worthless to debate...

November 29, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryamo

Okay that argument about Native Americans doesn't make sense anymore. People use that way too much and it doesn't work. Fine, the monarchs and imperialists of the 16th through 19th centuries (and arguably 20th/21st) didn't have the greatest diplomatic skills when it came to the Native Americans but what is done is done. The fact is that our government does have a law and protocol about individuals who are not citizens. It is written. So follow it.

November 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • proamerica

Those native Americans tried to eliminate the early settlers as a solution.
      Should we resort to the same thing.

November 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • JT

Heck, they were eliminating each other and stealing each others' land long before the Europeans showed up. The white man didn't bring warfare, genocide, and all the other bad things to the New World. It was already here.

November 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Franxizco

Read your history books/remember what you learn at school= American CIVIL WAR north vs. south

November 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Franxizco

you guys did too(don't just point at the indians), there basically gone

November 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Dre

This is too funny!!! I guess Im gonna shoot myself because my 401k is dropping! or because I want a new house but my credit is too bad!! Is america the only country with colleges? what a joke! this guy was too stupid to go to college if he shot himself in the first place

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  54. asdfsdf

Seriously, we need to get the OUT.

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Roy

The story states he was here ILLEGALLY, no mention of how long. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL. what part don't you understand?

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • asdfsdf

YEAH!!!

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Being a redneck should be illegal.

November 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dr Bubo

Why do you call a person redneck just because he/she wants the law enforced. People, like you Jack, still confuse a debate of immigration with a debate of ILLEGAL immigration.

November 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • gloria

he was a HUMAN BEING, what part of THAT dont you understand???

November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Roy

That is a decision he made.

November 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

you seem to think that the children of law breakers are accountable for the parents' crimes. Like to see that apply to your family.

November 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Roy

Well it doesn't so go bark up another tree. Facts are he was here ILLEGALLY as well as his family. No one made him pull the trigger, he did that himself. Not going to college is not worth killing yourself.

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • l

THanks for representing the values taught from the bible about loving thy neighbors. ha.

November 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jack

No one is in this country legally. I suggest that "Legal Americans" that don't measure up and make it to college should be deported. Let's let all of those "Immigrants" who aspire to study and work harder than the average American, move here and replace them.

November 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Unless your name is Sitting Bull then you are an illegal.

November 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • the truth

yeah – America needs more 'educated' idiots hanging up diplomas, running legitimate corporations into the ground, and crapping on support staff who actually 'work'

November 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • your comment is

useless

November 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Franxizco

whatever people say this guy is dead RIP. funny how people argue "immigrants taking our money/taking jobs"
    Money is EARNED not GIVEN as a gift you work your ass off and stop complaining=lazy.

November 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. uptownstory

I don't care what you conservatives say. We spend much more money over seas per person that we KILL than we spend on our 12million or so illegal aliens.

I'd rather that we be charitible enough to at least let the children of the illegals are doing well academically and have done nothing wrong other than being here illegal succeed.

That's the Christian thing to do. That's the Jesus thing to do.

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • gloria

Bravo! 2 thumbs up!

November 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

yes...but as you know, money rules this country with an iron fist, both through the government and through the hearts of the very people. Money is god here.

November 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  59. sockpuppet

caesar–you know he was deranged how? Everyone that commits suicide is deranged? That's not even a testable hypothesis in this case.

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  60. C'Mon

you're insane...of course this family is going to blame the united states for their son killing himself, thats what people do when they have a hard time accepted that an idiot kid, who had access to a gun, walked into a bathroom and shot himself. why was there a gun in a house full of illegals? and since he freaking lived in texas, illegals there GET IN-STATE TUITION. stop standing up for stupidity

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  61. gloria

im sorry, i didnt know that you could go into a supermarket and say "im an illegal alien, i dont pay taxes"....(rolling eyes again)

November 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  62. caesar

Besides... people are banking on "college" way too much. There are alternatives.

November 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Aubrey Nielsen

Honestly all of you all are ridiculous. I read what everyone says about illegal immigrants and how they should not be in Texas or U.S.A mainly they are pointing their fingers at the Mexicans. Truth be told I live in the Valley as we call it only about 30 minutes from where this young boy took his life. Everyone thinks it’s so easy to go through what these people are facing now in today’s society. So say what should be done to solve all these problems point you alls fingers they dominate over everyone. I go to school In Brownsville where I see the border and illegal’s running across and chase all the time… get over it its life. I’m white and consider myself one of them because of where I was raised. It’s easy to point fingers and say they shouldn’t be here all they are doing is taking our money and doing nothing. But look at what jobs us stingy Americans won’t do and all the ones they do in place of us. Honestly they are just coming for a better life something that we “Americans” take for granted. And if you really want to get down to it we all were at one point descendants of illegal’s from other countries. I’m sorry for the families’ loss and how society has gone to dirt. This child might not have lost his life if society treated everyone with equality and told people they could do anything they set their minds and hearts to no matter their race or skin color. I’m not supporting suicide but it could have been prevented. Everyone just needs to get over themselves and stop being so selfish.

A quien Dios ama, le llama.

November 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • gloria

Oh my god! someone that finally makes sense!

November 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  64. caesar

This kid shot himself because he was deranged. If CNN is hypothesizing that it is due to some inability to reconcile his guilt with knowing he was illegal, then that is a testable hypothesis, but I wouldn't dare suggest this without evidence. CNN seems confident enough to spread falisities however.

November 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • You people disgust me

CNN wasn't hypothosizing anything. The kid's brother is the one that stated that he killed himself due to his feeling locked out of a good education. Bring your anti-CNN rhetoric and retarded soap-box elsewhere.

November 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. koshka

What a shameful attempt to use this tragedy for political points. Shame on you CNN and your complete lack of professionalism. The kid obviously had serious mental problems and if we are to blame someone, that should be his parents!

November 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blessed Geek

Shame on you for hiding behind "making this a political issue" to make a political issue. SHAME on you!

November 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • koshka

You don't appear to be smart.. or you didn't read the entire article.

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Mr. koshka is exactly correct.

November 29, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Athena Petra

Any American who lives in and accepts reality knows that illegal immigrants will continue to come to our country, and if denied opportunity, their population will be comprised of millions of discontent, angry and ignorant people who will one day rise up against us. Some people are already THINKING about how to make a lemonade with these lemons. It is time that anyone who likes to live with freedom and security begin to consider these possibilities. We can help integrate these children or risk going up in flames.

November 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

LIE. It is entirely possible to mostly halt the flow of illegals through a) border control, b) deportations c) clamping down on businesses that use them.

Then – the tiny amount that slip through the cracks we can deal with, moreover they will never be enough to 'rise up'.

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • gloria

have you looked around yourself lately???lol

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • oh shut up

athena, please tell me. what is it about ANY hispanic country that suggests to you hispanics are anything but ignorant and angry? pretty much every latin american country is poor. drug cartels have a controlling influence in most of them. i know many good and decent hispanics, but fact of the matter is, they as a race care for noone but themselves. this kid that took his own life did so because his parents ignored our laws. in other areas of the world he and his parents would have just been shot, not deported. mexico's immigration laws are worse than ours. and i got news for you. our country IS going up in flames because of all the money we waste on illegal immigrants, and we dont crack down on the businesses that hire them. do yourself a favor and go into any neighborhood that is predominantly hispanic and then get back on here and tell me you actually want our country to become THAT. we've got near double digit unemployment, and you are for amnesty? how exactly would that help our job situation? shut the hell up and realize that every country has immigration laws. i do not feel sorry for the people that break them. i know they are looking for a better way of life, but that doesn't give them any more right to disregard our laws than it gives me the right to go rob a bank. this kid's parents should be prosecuted for their son's death

November 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Shan

He was a CHILD!

November 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • RayJacksonMS

His parents who brought him here illegally aren't.

November 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

No. He was a legal adult. 18 years old.

November 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Becka

I cannot believe the blatantly ignorant comments I'm reading. It's people like these that are holding back OUR country from being a true world power; intelligent, considerate, and DIVERSE. By denying children of a decent education and a fighting chance in the world, we are not only oppressing them, but ourselves as a nation. This country has oppressed certain races throughout history, and each time it has left an ugly scar on the face of this country. Remember, UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.

November 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

By your logic we should educate all of Mexico as well.

IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO EDUCATE ANYONE THAT CAN GET HERE.

WE ALREADY EDUCATE MANY LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

GRASP THAT?

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

It isn't our responsibility to provide all these things to the children of the world, so please give me a break. There are laws. in America and other countries, break them and there are consequences. I can speak from personal experience, in Korea, my and my family would be on a plane home. Plus we would have no access to the public schools, because we are not Korean. They would deport us no questions asked, and bar us from ever coming back. If it is so important to raise your family here then get in line and do it right. Choices have consequences.

November 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  69. asdfsdf

YEAH!

November 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. caesar

Whatever... people kill themselves because they are FU&%$@ up in the head!

November 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  71. asdfsdf

College is a PRIVILEGE., not a right.

November 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ignorant Human

BS. College is a free-market good that government has no right to bar from citizens. The whole right versus privilege is pathetic. It is simply a way for government to brainwash people into accepting their loss of freedom.

November 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • james

NOBODY IS BARRING MEXICANS FROM ANYTHING.

If the illegal wants to go to UCLA he can pay out of country tuition like every other Mexican.

November 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Richard Johnson

You are more than welcome to leave this country if you hate it so much!!

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. john

If you dont like it...the door goes both ways! Don't let it hit you in the rear as you depart...

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  74. America

Please leave.

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  75. nicetryguys

Go back to whatever rathole you live in or come from. If the US is so crappy, why do thousands of you low lifes fight to get here and live a better life?

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  76. marty rogers

Lets forget the adults that came here willingly illegally for a second. Lets focus on the individuals that were brought here as small children, even babies, obviously through no fault of their own. This is the only land they know. They did nothing wrong. Anybody that is against the dream act which protects these young people is not christian and is a hypocrite if they attend church. Where is the sense of fairness, generosity and compassion for the children that were brought here by their parents, and thus did nothing wrong? I'm embarrassed to be an american, when I read these anti-christian posts in these boards. And some of them from women? God must be horrified.

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roy

No, Lets Not forget that his parents came here ILLEGALLY, That is the root of this whole problem.

November 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dre

This guy deserved what he got. I want a new car! but my credit is bad, should I go shoot myself? religion is for the weak! go get touched by your priest somemore

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom

Yes Please do the world a favor and do that because you are pathetic... you hid on here posting comments about something you know notghin about thinking you are better than everyone else... so yes please kill yourself for your new car that would be a blessing for everyone else

November 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roy

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

So Roy you really hold kids accountable for the laws their parents break? What sort of sick person are you?

November 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roy

He was paying for his own sins. He was here ILLEGALLY. Still nothing to kill himself over, another choice HE made.

November 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • mell

Marty that has been tried and people get their shorts in a bunch because the children are separated from the parents!

November 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Remember, our immigration laws are set up to prevent poor and uneducated people from coming to America. Think I'm making it up? Do some research.

So his parents had two choices: stay in Mexico (which is pretty dangerous right now), or come here illegally. There was no third option to come here legally. It absolutely does not exist for most immigrants, because our immigration laws are set up to prevent their entry.

November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • JemimaPD

Edwin,

The USA gives citizenship to more Mexicans than to people from any other individual country. Of the top 20 countries that the USA gave citizen ship to last year only TWO are industrialized nation and they are numbers 19 and 20 on the list. The average number of years to gain citizenship was 6 in 2010, this is a fairly normal average.

Look it up!

November 30, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Mr. Marty Rogers asserts, "Anybody that is against the dream act which protects these young people is not christian and is a hypocrite if they attend church."

But I can't see how that's true. Perhaps Mr. Rogers would care to give a biblical justification for that argument?

November 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  77. sophiaGreen

your reply says a lot about you. when u pass away, hopefully noone will say"good riddance" about you.

November 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Cindy Romero

Then get out of this country!!! We don't need you...but it seems that you need the country that takes care of you. You suck.

November 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  79. sonia

This article is very misleading. Who knows what was involved in this suicide. Unfortunately, young people kill themselves all the time.

November 29, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Sailingwindward

The possibility of the "Dream Act" becoming reality is reason enough to keep a few republicans in congress to either vote against or filibuster any bill that would give lawbreakers amnesty.

November 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • asdfsdf

agreed.

November 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

"lawbreakers" - you mean that to imply that illegal aliens are bad people, right?

Do you know anyone who goes over the speed limit? They are lawbreakers, too. So are people who don't pay parking meters. That is AGAINST THE LAW - literally.

They come here illegally because we set very low quotas on the number we legally let in. Most illegal aliens have no chance whatsoever of getting legal status - not because they came illegally, but because the system is designed to keep out the poor and uneducated. Yes, they broke a law, but so do most Americans on occasion. Almost all of us are "lawbreakers" - should we ALL be kicked out?

November 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

If that is what the punishment for not paying a parking meter is then yes pack your bags, you are out! Your argument is pathetic. They are here illegally and if they cannot meet the requirments for immigration, well that's ok, just walk on over. Hey you over there, the drop out, you don't qualify for Harvard, but hey come on in anyway, got a seat right there for you...the standards and requirments don't apply to you.

November 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  81. LuckyAZ

He should have really examined the whole issue. Other countries have higher education as well. Most Americans, like myself left school with thousands to repay in loans. College does not even guarantee an minimum wage job during this economy. Sad to see someone make a permanent solution to a temporary setback.

November 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaMeglet

Well put, sir. It is refreshing to see someone make a legitimate point without being hateful.

November 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob n LA

College has never guaranteed a job. It may have been easier. And by the way- what is your degree in? It seems that many young people today chose to go to college and come out with degrees in English literature, Political Science all history. While all good things to know, they hardly make getting a job easy in an economy that needs science, engineers, accountants, health care professionals and computer specialist.
      As for the kid that killed himself- he could have gone to college in another country- as he did for his secondary school education. The Dream act was not the main reason he killed himself. If it was, his problems were far deeper than depression over passage of the bill.

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Brian

To be honest, I'd rather have an illegal immigrant present in America who probably had the intellect to get into college than have you (who probably has a lower IQ than your computer) residing here. Just my honest opinion.

November 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  83. g.r.r.

This is so sad. I am opposed to illegals and back HR-2885 (which requires and ENFORCES e-verify on all businesses) with modifications. The biggest modification is that it needs to be passed. It has ZERO chance of passing because the dems will not back it. HOWEVER, if a modified dream act were added to it, then the dems would have a difficult time saying no. This boy is a double victim. First, he was brought here and raised here. He is CULTURALLY an American. He deserves the right to get a degree. Therefore his parents made him a victim. Now, we have politicans that refuse to do their job because they are afraid of losing their job. So, now a bot that SHOULD have been allowed the opportunity to earn his citizenship has take his life.
    This really is sad.

November 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Roy

Seems like this young man had more problems than just college. What if he could not get a job or if he got fired, would he have done the same thing. Not being able to go to college is just an excuse.

November 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Jessie

This poor boy, shame on his parents for not taking the steps to have him become a permanent legal resident. I don't mean any disrespect toward him when I say this, but he clearly had mental health issues that caused him to hurt himself. I highly doubt the reason was because the DREAM Act didn't pass. It is a shame that people are using this boy's tragedy as a way to promote their politics.

November 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • asdfsdf

I know right?

November 29, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Huh?

I am sure, however, that he knew how to spell "illegal."

November 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mr Jimmy

Dear, thieves you wrote...

Dear thieves...

November 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmericanPatriot

Mr.Jimmy,

BS. No one came to the United States legally back in the day. Just because "Your People" came from Germany, does not mean they were legal. Stop your lies.

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaMeglet

Actually, Jimmy, this land belonged to the Native Americans. And we rolled in, ran them off their land, and did some really unspeakable stuff to them for the sake of a made-up law called, "Manifest Destiny." Idiot.

November 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I'd bet your family came to America before the immigration quotas were put in place. Nowadays, you have to be in one of the following groups to have ANY chance at legal immigration:
      1) you can do so if you have a relative who is a citizen, though the process takes 3 to 9 years;
      2) you can generally do so if you are very wealthy;
      3) you can do so if your employer is willing to pay significant fees to sponsor you; and
      4) a very few each year are allowed to come in from under-represented countries (i.e., not Mexico, Canada, or China).

So... nowadays, a middle class family living in Mexico actually has NO CHANCE of legal immigration here. Our laws are quite explicit in that regard.

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • JemimaPD

Edwin,

November 30, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  88. David

Come on CNN, this is absolute garbage... There are millions of U.S. citizens that would like to go to college, but can't go to college, for many different reasons.

November 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Thank you notice how they don't kill themselves.

November 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Thanks David. CNN ignores the obvious and pedals the sensationalism.

November 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jim

How sad. Even worse, his death makes the Obama administration look even more insensitive.

November 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Jim, how does this make the Obama Administration look bad in any light? We are all sorry he took his life, but you know he could have gone back down to his own country, and tried to go to school there, or apply to legally come here. He made his own choices.

November 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shan

Really? This CHILD could have done all of those things? The CHILD deserves to pay for "his" choices with his life? You wouldn't be one of those "the only good immigrant is a dead immigrant" types, would you?

November 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • shamgar50

Your post makes you look stupid!

November 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaMeglet

Most of you are retarded. Please use birth control.

November 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Narcosis70

Cross the border illegally in Afghanistan or North Korea, and you might get shot. Cross illegally in China or Iran, and you'll be thrown in prison. Cross in the US, and you spark a debate about which and how many benefits you might be able to receive. Only in America...

November 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • tu padre

and also part of why america is going down the tubes so fast.

November 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

yes, I am glad that we aren't comparable to Afghanistan or North Korea. Thanks for pointing out how much more humane we are.

November 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  91. frank vel

Get real America ! if our labor force do not increase in numbers due to birth control etc... we will not be able to compete with China and India in the world market. We will end up buying everything from them since we cannot produce anything in the U.S. Let us legalize the millions of people out there and get them educated to work and compete instead of being ultra conservative to protect the white race. If we legalize them, we will get them paying taxes and buying more products here to make the economy moving again. Remember, America's original people were not white people. We have been a melting pot. Let us not use the "man-made" immigration laws. If man made it – man can change it....

November 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poolchick

Well said,

November 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  92. uptownstory

For all of those that say "He broke the Law", remember, it was once illegal for black people to drink from water fountains

November 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

You do realize those are apples and oranges right...But hey your argument will probably be used by think tanks soon enough.

November 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Totally irrelevant. Should we disregard every law just because some have been revoked?

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Figured it would not be long before someone brought some completely irrelevant tidbit about how Black people have been treated throughout history. Good grief! Stay on topic man......

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • FFFF

your argument is beyond stupid....

November 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JulietSierra

But those black people didn't ask me to pay for them to drink out of the fountain. Or to deny MY kids something so THEIRS, who were lawbreakers (in this particular case, illegal immigrants), could benefit.

November 29, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Peter Hudson

Yeah, talk about a pathetic attempt at sympathy... Follow the law and do the right thing, no more touchy feely folks...

November 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  94. JD

Well, that is a sad story, however where are the Sheriff's to arrest this family for being in MY country illegally?

November 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • So True

True True

November 29, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

No. The family was here legally. He wasn't. Read the story again.

November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • dscon

JT is seeing things!
        The article says ZERO about his parents!
        Just his brother.
        Probably because the parents don't speak english or
        are afraid of being booted!

November 30, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  95. are you serious?

What a misguided attempt to pull at heartstrings. No one is happy to hear about a child killing himself, but it is not the system or the laws in this country that pulled the trigger. If his family recognized that he had little chance for a future here, then bring him to your country where he can pursue his dreams. His parents put him here with limited options, not the US government.

November 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • This Article is Racist and Biased

Well said, areyouserious. The USA isn't to blame. Our immigration laws (though not even enforced) aren't to blame. Why didn't the parents bring him back to Mexico? Why aren't they blaming the corrupt Mexican government which happily sends its poor citizens north to Estados Unidos? The Mexican government could CARE LESS about its citizens and here we are–giving them a free K-12 education–and then this pathetic article tries to blame us for this poor kid's death?!!

November 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • ol cranky

I'm liberal and his family should look to themselves when trying to cast blame instead of the government and dashed fantasies of the DREAM act. This sort of BS is the exact reason the dream act should fail.

November 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Unbelievable

It's amazing how people are so uneducated on different aspects of immigration. I worked at the Social Security Administration in California, and I saw some stuff concerning LEGAL immigration that would make any American angry. Hundreds and hundreds of immigrants who came legally to this country go straight to the SSA and are given money every month without working a single day in the US. Is it OK because these are European immigrants? Is it OK because they are white? I don't know but I also know these folks also get to send their kids to schools like UCLA and Stanford for free. Because they came from war torn countries they are put on a plane and flown to the US. Plane loads were flown in and taken to the SSA. Well guess what the Mexican people are going through right now. A drug war created because of the high demand of drugs other countries (I think we know which one is the worst) are demanding. So let's not blame one group of people for money spent on different programs, let's revamp these programs and see where the money is really going.

November 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • scedbl

it's not 'right', but it's "legal"...they came here LEGALLY. Our government let them in legally, and gave them support legally...apples to oranges...

November 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Harry

Amen!

November 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mr. N

So it's OK to defraud the SSN because it's "legal" but not right? Seriously?

November 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shan

If it was so easy to "pursue dreams" in his home country, do you think his family would have sneaked into this country?

November 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • real citizen

It doesn't mean they have a right to be here. You can't see that??

November 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Agree. If anyone is to blame it's his family for putting him in a situation such as this. People move all the time to get their kids in the best school and make sure the home they buy is in the best school district. Did these parents not realize they had a child that wanted to attend college and could easily in their home country.

Also the US system for further education accepts many foreign students into the colleges. They don't get in state tuition but they are able to pursue an education here as long as they are paying for that education.

November 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Grey

Last time I checked, there were plenty of good Universities in Mexico. I wish I could feel sympathy over these situations, but I'm in the middle of trying to survive and make sure my own children can go to college. All individuals need to work within the system since the general populous is no longer willing to tolerate the cost of the free loading which he apparently did for his high schooling.

November 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Arnold

There was obviously a bigger issue behind the depression that led him to do this.

November 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Agree completely. If just the fact of not going to college drove him to kill himself some other large disappointment would have drove him over the edge later.

November 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Eric

Sad. But it seems the article is blaming the laws that make it difficult for someone who is here in violation of our laws to attend our colleges.

Might the blame not be better placed on the parents who brought him here wrongfully?

Might it not be better placed on those who didn't tell this kid that Mexico has colleges?

November 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

The point is that using this story to peddle political doctrines is wrong. Most people do not kill themselves over not being able to attend college. Most people realize the US is not the only country with colleges (we don't even have all the best ones). If anyone should be ashamed it should be news outlets like CNN that tie a political argument onto a suicide not related in the slightest. He had serious problems far beyond not going to college that is quite obvious.

November 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zach

Dude, take a chill pill. This guy was stating his opinion, and it wasn't insensitive. No reason to go holier-than-thou.

November 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

This kid grew up in the United States. He came here when he was a child - with no other option than to follow his parents.

Why should he have to leave the only country he ever knew in order to have a chance at college? It was his parents' decision, not his, to come here illegally.

I think people hate illegal aliens with such intensity that they do not even care if innocent children suffer in their quest for punishing the aliens... oh, wait - most people who despise illegals probably don't think the child is innocent. Or if they do, then they believe the child, not being American, is not really deserving of human decency.

What I don't get is how many people in America are so twisted with anger and hate towards those who are not American. Yes, the parents came here illegally. But, contrary to the rants of some, that is actually NOT a crime (it is no more a crime than failing to pay a parking meter, which is ALSO illegal, BTW). And contrary to the hate, doing something in violation of law does not automatically make them bad people, any more than someone who goes 28 mph in a 25 mph zone is a bad person.

We, as Americans, are supposed to care about more than simply ourselves. We are *supposed* to be good, decent human beings, caring for all people. The fact that they violated a law, probably because they needed a job and a safe place to live, does NOT negate their humanity, nor our obligation to treat them decently.

I'm not saying we have to kiss every illegal alien and give them free money. There are REAL problems associated with illegal immigration. But until America can get past this obsessive HATE it seems to have for them, the problems won't be solved.

November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • marty

AMEN BROTHER!!

November 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Emila

Edwin, when I read a post like your, I get my hope back on the human race. Thank you.
        I get so disgusted with ignorant, selfish comments some people make.

November 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vanny

well said!

November 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • dscon

Seal the border and parents won't get the chance to turn their kid's into law breakers.

November 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • mike

Feel sorry for this young man, but there are many legal residents that have the same problem. Their problem is they can't afford college and will never get to go. If this young man was illegal how did he intend to pay for this college education. I guess on someone else dime.

November 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Daddy2010

""He didn't see no other way or no other option," Wow. Option 1: Don't enter the country illegally. Option 2: Leave Option 3: Turn yourself in. Option 4: Don't blame others for a situation you caused. Look at all those options!

November 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

oh I guess as a child he should have known to avoid entering the country and left his parents, or as a teen who was raised as an American risk turning himself in and getting deported to a country that is not his own. Sure buddy.

November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

Ignorants!!

November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Kumar

One less illeagal to worry about.

November 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Center

It easy to say such thing when your faceless. Be a Man and knock on the families door and say that. You are why the hate us in the world.

November 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |