Opinion: Online anonymity is the new robe and hood of hatred
"With a few keystrokes, people have allowed the hate in their heart to reveal itself," Tangela Ekhoff writes.
April 17th, 2012

Opinion: Online anonymity is the new robe and hood of hatred

Editor's Note: Tangela Ekhoff is an inspirational speaker and ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. She blogs about marriage, motherhood and life in Oklahoma at Homegirl on the Range, and has written for CNN's Belief blog.

By Tangela Ekhoff, Special to CNN

(CNN) - On a hot, steamy summer day, when I was 10 or 11, my mama and I rode downtown to do a little shopping. As we got off the bus, I looked up the street toward the Alabama capitol. In the distance, I could see a gathering of people. Glimmers of white dotted the crowd like cotton on the side of a dusty road.

After we finished, we got a couple of cold Cokes to go. My mother was uneasy that day.

"We need to hurry up and get home before something bad happens,” she said.

As we got on the bus and headed up the street, I could see more clearly. It was a Ku Klux Klan rally. I looked out the window and right outside the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, where Rev. Martin Luther King's voice became the sound of movement, there was a grown man and a little boy of maybe 5 or 6. They both wore matching white robes and hoods on their heads so you couldn't make out their faces. The little boy looked me square in the eye, gave me the finger, and screamed "Dirty N-–." The man patted the boy on the back and laughed out loud. This wasn't 1955. It was 1979 or 1980.

Mama put her thick mahogany arm around me, and tried to wipe the tears off my face. "I'm sorry, baby. Always remember they wear those hoods to hide their faces, but those robes don't hide their hearts. They're cowards." I looked up at my mother, and she was crying, too. I wasn't a little girl anymore. I was a little black girl in Montgomery, Alabama.

Not so long ago, racists had to work hard to spew their venom. They had to starch their robes, get in their trucks, and meet face-to-face with others who viciously hated minorities, gays, women, Jews, and even Catholics.

These days, cowards use the anonymity of computers as their robes and hoods of hatred. With a click of a mouse, you can witness a virtual cross-burning led by the guy in the next cubicle.

It's ironic to think that someone who posts about "lazy" blacks and Hispanics might be running a cyber-Klan meeting while on the clock. With a few keystrokes, people have allowed the hate in their heart to reveal itself by sharing, reposting, and curating images and words that are destructive to the very fabric of our nation.

The last few weeks have been frightening for me as a mother and as an African-American. I had just begun to wrap my brain around the senseless shooting of Trayvon Martin. This past weekend, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where I now live, two men have been accused of going on a rampage, apparently targeting and shooting men for just being black. One of the assailants took to his Facebook page before the murders to hurl epithets and threats. As a mother, it makes me worry what kind of America my sons will inherit.

Online, I have seen my social media pages erupt into a digital uncivil war. The Mason-Dixon line is no longer a physical place; it's a state of mind. Some of my virtual friends have used these tragic situations as an opportunity to let their inner racist roam free. I am appalled at what some have posted and reposted.

Many of the people spreading hate online call themselves Christians - just check their profiles. Sadly, many of these Christians feel that Jesus loves only people who look like them, talk like them, act like and live like them. Perhaps, it’s the stained glass image of a blonde, blue-eyed Jesus that gives people license to use Him to shepherd their digital racism. The truth is Jesus was a Jew. Jesus was a minority. The true picture of Jesus in the New Testament is one painted by his character: kind, forgiving, loving and healing.

Around the holiest time of the Christian year, the time of Jesus' crucifixion, burial, and resurrection, we should all stop to think of his amazing grace. Are you worshiping a Jesus who only loves some people, or are you worshiping a Jesus who died for all of our sins?

America needs to have a come-to-Jesus meeting about race. It's a conversation that has to happen, if we are going to move forward. It is a conversation that should come from a place of healing and honesty, not anger and hate. As the mother of two young sons, I pray we work this out in their lifetime.

Although my own mother came of age in an Alabama that was segregated and defined by vehement hatred of blacks, she never harbored any ill will toward white people. She loved my husband, who is white, just as dearly as she loved her own sons. She lived long enough to vote for the first African-American president, and she believed our country was moving forward. Pancreatic cancer stole my mama last year, but the lessons she taught me about treating every person as a child of God will stay with me forever. I hope to pass this legacy of compassion on to my own children.

We should take a moment to think before we click. Would Jesus of Nazareth "like" an image or message that you are about to share, or would your Lord and personal savior un-friend you for spreading hatred of your brother or sister? Would Jesus read the comments section and be proud that you call him Master?

The opinions expressed are solely those of Tangela Ekhoff.

1. Josie

First of all Christians are only human as are the rest of us. Second of all, most hatred I have seen in my life have come from "God fearing Christians". I'm not Christian and it would take a lot for me to go back to a Christian Church. To much judging etc. They wouldn't accept my views or my beliefs and I won't change who I am. Racism is taught at home, and one can change their view. My dad did it, my kids are not racist (kinda hard when some of their cousins are mixed race). Times are changing, hatred has moved online behind sign in names, and that isn't good either.

April 17, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the three shades of moon

i am sorry for that sign i made.
    it was only a few symbols
    it was only is 2 dimensions
    it was only true inspiration
    but it led a life of its own
    and even after years of leaving
    to return and see its image still strong
    and its body remade in others ideas
    not what it origanally was
    only a joke, out of hand, on its own.
    to let it go was easy, to see it grow was hard.

April 17, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElmerGantry

Go post on FAUX news you TROLL!

April 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JUGGERNAUT

THE RACIST OUT HERE RANTING AND BLAMING ALL BLACKS FOR THE ILLS OF THE USA ARE JUST PROVING THE POINT OF THIS WHOLE ARTICLE.

MANY ARE HERE AND GENERALIZING ON ALL BLACKS THAN CLAIM THEY ARE NOT RACIST, HOW FUNNY.

YOU M0R0NS JUST PROVE THE POINT OF THE WHOLE ARTICLE, THAT RACISM IS STILL ALIVE AND WELL.

April 17, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

Given the state of the black community it is really a challenge to cut them any slack.

April 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Your Panties

I totally agree witchya.

April 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

@Steve Lyons

dude watch 16 and pregnant on MTV, plenty of white girls giving birth out of wedlock, whites have highest rate of pedophilia and white kid goes missing almost everyday. WORRY about your own community you are far from being perfect, so get off your high horse.

April 17, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • garbageinisgarbageout

A white baby went missing today in Montgomery County, Tx. Turns out a black female shot the mother and ran her over with her car. Why isn't Tangela afraid for her safety in this case? Why would you bring up victims of crimes in your argument, you are going to find that is a quick way to lose your argument.

April 18, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
      • sean

I have been saying this for years. Very good comment juggernaut.

April 18, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
      • GenericMan

in your response, you managed to highlighted the differences in one group as opposed to the another. How are you being any better about not making generalizations, even if facts may support your case? It furthers a stereotype.

April 18, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Outtasite

Good Article

Terrible comments from so many.

Humanity is doomed.

April 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott Tibbs

Cursed be he that smiteth his neighbour secretly. And all the people shall say, Amen. – Deuteronomy 27:24

April 17, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Scott Tibbs

I meant to respond to the main article, not this specific comment. Sorry.

April 17, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Lyons

So let's be open about it. I do not oppress the black community in any way shape or form, but so many of them (Jackson, Sharpton, et al) would confiscate my means to placate their racist followers. The followers of Jackson and Sharpton need to get off their whiny backsides and use all the energy they can muster not for protests but for bettering themselves individually. Tearing down the rest of the country does not elevate them one bit. Building themselves up goes much farther.

April 17, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElmerGantry

The number of disgusting comments is indeed dis-heartening.

The way to stop it is to speak out.

Silence is the voice of complicity.

April 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tazugly

I grew up in a racist home. How sad…. it was unfortunately the times. I have worked hard to overcome my upbringing. I have since raised my own children and I am proud to say they are color (race) blind. Change can and does happen.

April 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Not-the-only-good-white-guy

I agree with the concept behind this article and I believe its important to talk about, but, unfortunately, I think this article dilutes its point with lapses in thought out ideas. For instance while addressing the Trayvon Martin and Tulsa shootings she says how appalled she was (rightly so) but then she says how she is worried about the America being left for her son. This completely contradictions the fact that racists, like the aforementioned KKK, have been marginalized and no longer hold huge rallies. Also if he aside occurred in 1979 or 1980 and then 30 years later a black man is the president of the US it shows how much can change for the better. I liked the article but it had huge potential. Thanks.

April 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • oy

They have rallies. Just not in the open. More like in the back woods of NC, etc.
      I think that was the point she was trying to make. they don't even need to hold rallies now b/c they post their racist garbage online and reach an even larger audience...yet it is still anonymous as with the hoods, b/c they are still cowards.

April 18, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. alex

how did i go from reading crap about how oppressed blacks to her spewing religious crap about how people use their faith to justify trolling? sheesh seriously the only reason blacks commit more crime and are poorer than whites is becuase theyre parents raise them to blame everything on them being oppressed. not to mention that black people also need shut the hell up during movies

April 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |

AGREED! Stop giving excuses as to why you haven't bettered yourself. You can do it!

April 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve Lyons

If an under qualified communist like Obama can rise to elected office, the rest of the black community needs to step up to the plate and stop complaining.

Fair?

April 17, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jason

If you look at the poor, degenerate whites you will notice a similar trend to crime comitting blacks: both blame their problems on other people. Something tells me the folks on here shouting doom and gloom about how "the USA is going to hell because of blacks" aren't the people at the top of society. They are just as bad, if not worse, as the people they complain about. You see, political radicalists sell snake oil to losers. They sell the idea that if you just follow their radical beliefs to their inevitable conclusion, then your own pathetic life will be uplifted along with the rest of society into some kind of Utopian paradise.

April 18, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Sherry Williams

Alex I'm sorry but your point of reference must be very limited.

April 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Where do you live, Alex? I am white, and from Canada, and I want to make sure I avoid you when travelling to the US. I find it hard to believe that in 2012 we are still fighting amongst ourselves. We have much bigger problems in this world and they will never be resolved if we don't learn to appreciate each other.

April 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • David in Cincinnati

The grandest crimes have been committed by white people.

April 18, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jason

The majority of comments here on cnn and yahoo news proves one thing for sure. That hate from within comes from Christianity.

April 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth7

No, it comes from the people who hate Jesus. The ones trying to make brother fight brother, the ones who removed God from every aspect of people's lives. Now, they are just going in for the jill of this country. The amount of propaganda being posed as legitimate areticles is appaling.

"Just remember, they hated me first".
      Jesus

April 17, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • kamanakapu

Jesus could neither read nor write yet there is an awful lot written about him. How did that happen? Did he have a secretary or stenographer jotting down everything he did and said? If he did, who paid them? After all, they had to eat, live, find shelter, clothe themselves, etc. And remember, Jesus was an unemployed wood worker who never worked a day in life. So how did he live? Were people funding him, giving him money so he could eat, find shelter, clothe himself, etc.?

April 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Klaark

Internet anonymity, stripping away any semblance of humanity and showing people for what they really are.

April 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave in Portland

There's more to it than that though. It seems to amplify the darkness within by not being held responsible for the venom they spew.

It's exactly the same thing as mob mentality. If nobody can specify who was involved, many will do things they would never dream of doing if they were alone and held accountable.

What does that say about us? Are we evil inside and just won't show it when alone? Or does banding together bring out the animal within and cause us to go feral?

April 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lynn

"starting a cyber Klan Meeting at work". Hmmmm I wonder what the bosses would do if they dared took time to pull the history of some of their employees comments while in the workplace. Many would be packin' it up! The country will get to this soon since there is so much violence and hatred of mankind. Employers want to know the true character of their employees and soon, very soon they will be finding out. Please remember folks, anything you write online is never erased; be careful, too many are looking for jobs and you can protect yours by using common sense on workplace computers.

April 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chuck

If anonymity is the "new white sheet", then anyone with a screen name is wearing a "white sheet".

April 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bozobub

The author, point of fact, does NOT accuse any one color of being "the problem", she merely uses an example from her youth. Be less sensitive and more observant, please.

April 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jean

I am a white atheist, and the comments to this article, and that I see all over the internet sicken me, and to the author of this article, I am so sorry that you have to read some of this trash.

I think you are exactly right, people will write things anonymously on the internet that they would never say out loud to their black co-worker. And probably black people will say things about white people on the internet that they would not say to their white co-worker. What is so sad about it is that the ugly feelings are the ones they hold in their heart.

I hope that some day things will change, but I think a lot of the change that has come to this country is all on the surface. Did deep, and there is an awful lot of hate.

April 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth7

There is not alot of hate in this country...it's you atheists who keep trying to incite it.

April 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • l33theart

Funny, I have yet to see an atheist who spews comments like, "God condemns you to hell, and so do I..."

April 17, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • albie

The most hateful people I have ever met are christians

April 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Abdul Ameer

Albie, If the most hateful group you ever met were Christians, then you don't get around much. For masters of hatred, try Moslems. Their god, Allah, tells them to hate non-Moslems.

April 18, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
      • oy

"Truth", you must be living under a rock somewhere if you haven't noticed the uptick in hate groups since Pres. Obama was elected.
        Your comments about atheists are unfair and unfounded. Broaden your horizons a little and actually befriend one of these godless heathens you slander.

April 18, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
      • oy

Abdul....have you read the bible? Have you listened to sermons in Fundy churches? The message is to be judgmental and hate those who do not believe in the "one true god". I used to be a Fundy, I ought to know.

April 18, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Bozobub

Funny how many folks, both online and IRL, who prefess to be Christians, put the lie to your silly statement.

April 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bozobub

*profess

April 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Howard

Well, here's one white guy who's been thinking the same thing as the article's author for a long time.

And it's not just about racial or ethnic hatred. There's all the political hatred, too. When I think that there were doormats at the Republican National Convention in 2000 with pictures of the President and First Lady for convention delegates to wipe their feet on ... I have to wonder, "What in h*ll has happened to America?" We didn't used to be this way. There was a time when Americans of all political persuasions shed tears for an assassinated President in 1963 and wrong their hands in worry and uncertainty at the attempted assassination of another President in 1981.

Today, I honestly believe if our President were assassinated, there would be people dancing in the streets. What in h*ll has happened to our country????

April 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

So, what's your last name? What's with the anonymity?

April 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bozobub

Only a silly white person wouldn't realize he was proving the author's point with your post =3 ...

April 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ed

Anonymity let's all people speak without consequence, but i must admit, some of those trayvon comments are pure racism. I couldn't believe the lack of compassion for an innocent, who was obviously murdered because poor mr. zimmerman had felt insulted at his inability to be able to fight man to man.

April 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • WFC

Is your statement that if an individual is being assaulted and can't defend themselves with their hands, they should die? Should women who can't stop their attacker just allow themselves to be raped, or should they use any means including deadly ones? How about senior citizens? You are unbelievably naive.
      And you don't know anything about the way things occurred. Even the Affidavit of Probable Cause has no specific details.
      Just as dangerous as racism is any rush to judgement about a person or situation without all the facts. As a matter of fact that is what racism is when it's aimed at an entire people group.
      The assumptions of the mob are amazingly dim witted, uninformed and largely racially biased.
      I don't know what happened either, but Im not accusing Mr. Zimmerman or Mr. Martin of any wrongdoing, that is the job of a Judge.

April 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • oy

Tryvon wasn't armed. G. Zimmerman was. He (Zimmerman) used excessive and deadly force against an unarmed man....an unarmed man he was STALKING. If anyone should have been defending himself, it was Trayvon, the subject of said stalking.

April 18, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  17. Linda

I don't think Jesus has anything to do with it. I think we should simply respect other people. Why wouldn't that work?

April 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

I am with you, Linda, and there are millions like us. Unfortunately, we don't make as much noise as the haters and bigots.

April 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • David in Cincinnati

Maybe there's genetic code from a million years ago that causes humans to coalesce into isolating groups.

April 18, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. Truth7

Dear author...they aren't Christains...they are ATHEISTS AND SAT.ANISTS. Another thing, why don't you ask cn.n why they keeo attacking God and Jesus, but promote Is.lam????

I'd like to refer you to the Bible since you claim to know it:

Jesus said "YOU WILL BE DECEIVED".

Anyone can create a profile in 5 seconds.

April 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

And Obama is the greatest deceiver of this century so far.

April 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Truth7

Steve – well, the media is on an all out coordinated attack against Christians and trying to incite a race war, and I don't see the pres or top police agencies shutting them down....as the Bible says, look at the fruit to know what kind of tree produced it. A good tree can't produce bad fruit.
        ...
        Hence why families have been broken to produce the next generation..of bad fruit. Perhaps the author should write about that.

April 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bozobub

Eh? So, I guess Dubya getting us into multiple wars by sheer, bald-faced deception doesn't count. And Nixon was an angel.

You, sir, are an ignorant lout.

April 17, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Canadian woman

Sir, with all due respect, you are out of your tiny mind.

April 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • David in Cincinnati

You trust yourself, Steve? Knowingly stuck in the McCarthy era?

April 18, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Bozobub

"Many of the people spreading hate online call themselves Christians" <– Funny, I don't see her claiming those people actually ARE Christian, any more than you are, but yes, their profile pages do say they are Christian. You fail.

April 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Truth7

Bozo – google "water army".

April 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bozobub

You completely miss the point, as I KNEW you would.

Again, the direct quote: "Many of the people spreading hate online call themselves Christians". Note: "CALL THEMSELVES". Your quibbles fail.

April 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Truth7

Bozo – go read up on propaganda. She certainly didn't add the words "pretending to be...", or "but they're not". Done on purpose to leave an impression.

Hit.ler gave one free radio to each household and look what was accomplished. Just think off aa the media in place today....

April 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob Perry

Seriously, Christians who aren't rac ist better start speaking out and against those that are perpetuating it IN THIER NAME.

The self descibed Christians who are doing so upopposed by those Christians and Christian leaders that aren't
      The silence that the non racist christians have is deafening to the point that these right wing haters are able to speak their litany of hate unopposed in the bname of your Christian god.

inmstead of complaining to those that point out that these racist are calling themsleves Christiuan.... start telling those racist that it is NOT OKAY– other wise YOU are to blame when the religion you have loses credibility.

April 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Truth7

Rob – 99% of people online have no idea about the massive amount of "fake" posters online pretending to be this or that. ALL PROPAGANDA, and it's being digested....to "change" people for the worse. Jesus reveals in Revelation that sat.an is going to use a "flood" to go after people. A flood means "many words".

April 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • denogh

@Truth7:

You keep talking about astroturfing, but I've seen this on my own facebook friend list. I don't friend random people, mind you. I'm talking about people whom I've met, in the flesh, that line up with the author's point.

Is it so hard to believe that Christians could be racists too? People who follow a god who gave them tips on the logistics of buying and selling slaves? Really? Ok then.

People conveniently forget that first bit of the [Divinely Penned] book when it comes to things like this.

April 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Black people have made amazing strides........one must remember that these people were brought to this country as slaves, forbidden to learn to read or write. This country was built on the backs of these people ...who found freedom only less than 150 years ago, still being denied the advantages of whites, and not without prejudice. Some of the comments I have read are totally against the teachings of Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, atheism, deism and etc. There are people that feel so inadequate and powerless that it is necessary for them to find a group to hate, which always stems from ignorance. Why not judge each person as an individual, and not as a group?

April 18, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  19. b d

She is getting what she wants, attention. She most likely doesn't believe a thing she wrote, but the more people comment (myself included) and the more people who read it, the more publicity she gets.

April 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • oy

Um/ She is a writer. Of course she wants people to read what she's written!

April 18, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  20. HMMM

If the US is so darn racist, why do blacks have a far worst quality of life in every other nation, especially the nations they run themselves?

April 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. HMMM

If slavery was so darn good for the economy, why was the North vastly superior economically than the South?

April 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

It wasn't. They started a war to steal the resources of the south.

April 17, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Canadian woman

Please, Mr. Lyons – you just make yourself look more and more foolish with each post.

April 17, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • David in Cincinnati

Yeah, the plan was to truck the rich soil of the Mississippi Delta northwards, right Steveo?

April 18, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bozobub

Slavery, in fact, barely paid off, and was doomed to disappear. Way to be completely ignorant of economics =) ...

April 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bubba

They got the same thing now. But they don't have to pick cotton, its free.

April 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bozobub

OK, sillybutt, try this: Add up all the black people on welfare. Then multiply by at least 10. You MAY then approach the number of WHITE people on welfare.

Sorry, but you ARE, in fact, indulging your racist fantasies right here on this blog. For you, PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

April 17, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • HMMM

@Bozobub Actually AAs use welfare at 4 times the rate of whites. Incorrect sir, incorrect.

April 18, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  22. Tee

This fat McDonald's butt would have us not be able to speak our minds freely. Ridiculous.

April 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth7

That's the goal apparently. Quite obvious...

April 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • oy

Wow. "truth"...so you, as a Christian think it is ok for people to use racist language? Freedom of speech comes with a price and people are getting around that by posting their racist garbage online like little cowards. But that doesn't bother you? As a Christian? And one who denigrates Atheists for supposedly being hateful?
      What sort of god are you worshiping over there?

April 18, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  23. sportreform

In the future we'll all be food for a race of conquering space aliens. None of this will matter in the future. We're the wild ancestors of human cattle.

April 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Johnny America

Not everyone in America is Christian. Who cares what Jesus of Nazareth would think?

April 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth7

90% of the people in this country believe on our Creator, with the vast majority believing in Jesus. And it's time we all start crying out to God to step in. This beautiful country was given to us by God. Most of US are the descendents of Israel (Jacob) and his 12 sons.

JerUSAlem

April 17, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • albie

Less and less people are religious – you are just plain wrong

April 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • oy

I see...so your god apparently also is in favor of genocide since he supposedly "gave" us this country. Wow. That's stellar.

Your stats are whack, btw. Don't know where you are getting this stuff from...

April 18, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
      • oy

"Most of US are the descendents of Israel (Jacob) and his 12 sons."

B.S.

April 18, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. Johnny America

Funny how this person goes online to say such things. I guess she thinks that the comments she reads which back her views are not offensive. I have read things which are meant to offend every kind of person. She needs to get over it. Don't read the comment section if you care that much. This is what happens when you give uneducated people the chance to write their own article.

April 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • lealo

Or what happens when you give uneducated people the right to post comments on every article. I how many vocal dumb, angry and quite frankly insane people there are in this country until the advent of the "comments" section online. Silly me, my only interactions are with well-adjusted relatively smart non-racist people across the political spectrum.

April 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • kamanakapu

The record clearly shows that cultures with a written language are the most dangerous, murderous and destructive of all cultures while cultures without a written language are the most honorable, dutiful and civilized.

April 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jim Weix

Screen names should not be allowed, period. People that hide behind anonymous screen names are cowards.
    That being said, just because someone could care less about the PC Police doesn't mean they should have their posts blocked.
    FYI: I have worked with blacks all my life. Unlike the PC Police, I know difference between a black and a N-word. Same difference as betwwen Whites and White Trash.

April 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • DUANEX

THE KEYBOARDS ARE SMOKIN TONIGHT!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

The original intent of the internet was to share scientific data confidentially amongst researchers. Now everything is recorded and stored on servers. Not only is there no real anonimity on the net but reasearch that is confidential has gone back to paper and certified & insurred mail. This slows science and yes even causes deaths as rules against sharing confidential medical records on what is now unsecured electronic communications systems are enforced. If there's a need for no one to be anonymous then there's a need for confidentaiality and privacy that is guaranteed. Right now even the IRS is sending refunds to stolen ID citizens. I have not spent a penny online in years and that is the way the net is headed, everyone wanting money for sites that are useless except for entertainment. Entertainment sites may not need security, but there should be an internet for real world application that is separate and secure.

April 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • oy

"I know difference between a black and a N-word. Same difference as betwwen Whites and White Trash."

Interesting...every racist I have ever met says this.

April 18, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  27. Buford

Tangela, get in the kitchen and fixes me some pancakes.

April 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • DUANEX

bUFORD, YOU ARE ONE SICK PUPPY...CARRY ON....

April 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. abdulameer

"The truth is Jesus was a Jew. Jesus was a minority. " Yes, Jesus was a Jew, but he was hardly a "minority". He was in the land of the Jews. The Jews were by far the majority in old Judea.

And, why, exactly, is Obama always called "African-American"??? His mother was white. And, his father was pure African, not African-American. At least genetically, Obama is as much white as he is black. Calling him African-American shows anti-white bias.

April 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth7

He was a Judaen, not "Jewish".

April 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kamanakapu

It were the egyptian Coptic's that created that character they called Christo (a grecian word meaning pure, beautiful). Than the roman mafioso came along and hijacked the racket and moved it to Rome, added the roman name of Jesus (first born, eldest son) to Christo and began the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

April 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bozobub

Or it's simply how he'd like to be categorized. But I guess you prefer the silly version – lol...

April 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • oy

People are allowed to catagorize themselves however they wish! Jeeeeez. President Obama considers himself to be African American. Give it a rest already.

April 18, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  29. MrScott

I see and have seen the other side too. Most recently down in Florida. Forget justice and due process, let's put a bounty on the white-hispanic. Let's linch him now. Or if we don't get our way let's burn the city down. While we are at it let's loot the neighborhood stores of TV's, groceries, or anything else we can grab. And then wonder why businesses move out or raise their products prices (and then cry about it). Blacks killing blacks or blacks killing babies while they sleep and no protest. Let one white or seemingly so and let's bring in Jessie Jackson, or Al Sharpton. Yeah whites of old did bad things and still do. But ANY race have done bad things and still do which is unfortunate. We we need to ALL do is tone down the racism cries less we keep fanning the flames. (Remember the story of the boy who cried wolf?) Let's move on people for the better shall WE.

April 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • DUANEX

and how would Jesse and Al get any face time????

April 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • kamanakapu

The scoundrels that founded this racist nation (Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, et al) were all slave owners and, therefore, all racists. Here we are now some 237 years later and nothings changed. The country is as racist as its ever been.

April 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DUANEX

i SEE i'M NOT THE ONE OUT HERE, IT'S GOING TO GET A WHOLE LOT WORSE,THANK GOD? FOR THE N.R.A....

April 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lynne

I see the usual suspects donned their internet hoods to prove the writer's point. Good job.

April 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • CindyM

Lynne – Thanks, at least someone else seems to realize that!

April 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dapace

I can't believe anyone would read this article, comprehend what she is trying to say, and still disagree with her. I think the posts, unfortunately, prove her point.

April 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Respect

"America needs to have a come-to-Jesus meeting about race"

As I said before, explain to me why every other race is getting very tired and fed-up with black people's antics? Fix your own backyard.

There is a train route that I board everyday, and it goes through White neighborhoods, Hispanic neigborhoods, Asian neighborhoods, and Black Neighborhoods. 3 out of the 4 stops have immaculate train stations with little to no crime. The 4th one is a dump with crime all the time. Take a guess which neighborhood is #4.

April 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • DUANEX

It's your grandfathers fault, now I wish he'd picked his own cotton....

April 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Cousin Death

Sorry, dear author, but (with all due respect) I must tell you that you will only gain the credibility of the mainstream population of America when you address the urban youth criminal culture that inspires teenagers like Trayvon Martin. Those of you who protect criminals are just as "light-headed" as those of you who support the KKK.

April 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

Urbanization and welfare are the "roots" of the black problem, not racism. Until they are dispersed from their culture of crime it will forever fester in the slums. And a white mane with the initials LBJ is to blame for creating the ghetto's. Harlem was a thriving black community until the great society made it a cesspool of lazy dope users and pimps.

April 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Truth7

Yeap...seems like it was all done for today. Someone wants brother to fight brother.

April 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • David in Cincinnati

LBJ created the ghettos. That's a new one! Just as a start, try reading up on segregation in Detroit in the 1940s and 50s. And please don't post comments just because you can type.

April 18, 2012 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jacob

you know, it's sort of funny how she pointed out white people from the KKK in the beginning and then immediately started complaining about hatred on the internet. Isn't she just hating on haters that are white? it's so biased and ironic. It's biased because she's assuming that an anonymous person "who posts about "lazy"...Hispanics" is white. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are some racist people out there, a lot them being on the internet, but some of them just happen to be white. When it comes to calling someone racist, it's okay for an African-American to call a white person racist IF they have logical reasons to do so. Shouldn't it be okay for someone who's white to call an African-American racist if they also have logical reasons? I'm not saying the lady who posted this story on her blog is racist, she just didn't look at the topic from the perspective of someone who prefers to be anonymous. I still hate how she tied anonymity to the Ku Klux Klan, though. Plus, if you knew that the "virtual cross-burning [was being] led by the guy in the next cubicle," then wouldn't that defeat the factor of it being anonymous?

April 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. NorCalMojo

Heresy if fun.

April 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Ron

However "balanced" this article was, the link said "the new white sheet."

April 17, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. NorCalMojo

I saw slurs being thrown in all directions.

I only saw hoods, death threats and attempts to intimidate coming from the lynch mob.

April 17, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Linda Davis

the way her mama raised her is the way my father raised me..i did not even know what prejudice was until I moved east from Texas. We always had people over of different races and religion and every one of them was 'the face of God'. A great article and an honest one. We do need to examine ourselves and our take on Christianity. To be prejudice in your religion is to be unChristlike in your heart. When I came home from my first day of school..I excitedly told my mom, "I have friends in all kinds of flavors!" I still have friends in 'all kinds of flavors' and love each of them with all my heart.

April 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  39. b d

I'm not a religious person, but If I was, I would most likely be offended by this article.

April 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bubba™

Tangelo???? Really???? What kind of ne is that? A jig name for sure.

April 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

Sounds a lot like Angelo, which is Italian.
      ...It's all about perspective, Bubba.

April 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • john

How about Zangela?

April 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bozobub

A "tangelo" is a hybrid oif an orange and tangerine, and in fact is quite delicious. Way to be a bubba, Bubba =3 .

April 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Donna

I know the author and I knew her mother. You will never find a more loving, kind, compassionate woman than Tangela. She is funny, brilliant, capable and tough–but also very human. I grew up in the segregated South (NC not AL) and I know she speaks the truth. The personal attacks re this article are pathetic and sad. Obviously, someone did not "get it", or did not consider the facts from a Christian perspective. Tangela's mother, Miss Ella, was an inspiration to her children, her friends and her community. She was a friend to all. I had the privilege of attending her funeral, and the tribute was overwhelming. To any who might be wondering, I am a white middle-aged woman and consider Tangela my sister in every sense of the word!!!

April 17, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Thank you for sharing.

I don't know the author, but I found her article, sadly, to be very true. The hate that I see people spew from the anonymity of the cyber world is shocking. So much hate.

April 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. guarayos

I'm white, Tangela, and I'd like to say "AMEN"! I agree with you all the way!

April 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Brad76

Online anonymity = to KKK members? WHAT?! I think the sun is frying peoples brains. Unbelievable.

April 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad76

Secondly, I'm a mix of a few different races, one of them being white. I have white friends, and I have black friends. We don't treat each other like this, and white people don't deserve to have racist labels painted on them by racists of other colors. It's not fair, it's not right, and you black racists need to get their heads out of the 1800's. Every time I read an article like this I just want to cry, PLEASE stop this.

April 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cousin Death

Brad, you are right about this madness. It has to stop.

April 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vintage

So racism has completely been erased from the American landscape. Everyone gets along? Or better yet. Maybe if we ignore any and all ugliness in the world it will just go away. Sorry. It doesn't work that way. There are many good people out there in all races but racists of all color remain as well. That's just the way it is.

April 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. relmfoxdale

For what it's worth, most of the racism online is trolling.

April 17, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rel

Why would one "troll" as a "racist"? If you are, you are.

Rest assured, most of it is real.

April 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • John W.

And "trolling" is okay? Excusable? Of course it is not. Because most comments in the comment sections are either hateful, mean-spirited, ignorant, or just plain worthless - CNN and everyone else should abolish the ridiculous ability for people to comment. We survived hundreds of years without having to respond to innocuous, written articles, why must we now be given the opportunity to respond to every single one ever written? It serves no purpose.

April 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lynn

Very well stated.

April 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Joe

Just don't read the comments.

April 18, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  45. HMMM

damn, does that wig come with a chin strap?

April 17, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • David in Cincinnati

Oh THAT's what you're using to hold your empty skull in place!

April 18, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  46. Tom

You people don't seem to get it.

This country has come no further in forty years in terms of race relations than it did in the previous two hundred. Any of you who think that is perfectly acceptable are as culpable as those who foment the hatred.

April 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kamil Zawadzki

Reblogged this on Outspoken.

April 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ron

This none-too-bright "speaker" and "ordained elder" is yet another example of the horrors of affirmative action.

April 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alizah

Are your ears itching? She's talking about you, Ron. Did she take your job as a black mother blogger ordained minister because she's black? Your assertion is ridiculous and none-too-bright.

April 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Andrews

At least she could write more than one sentence without any grammatical or spelling errors. Which is alot more than can be said for the trolls. Perhaps their fingers are too fat to hit the right keys? Or maybe, as another commentor stated, racism is really about ignorance. How many of you trolls or hate commentors finished high school?

April 18, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • David in Cincinnati

How's the author involved in affirmative action, Ron?

April 18, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  49. blade1975

And stop mention Travyon or whatever his moron name is.

He assaulted and punched a man with a gun, for little or NO reason reguardless of his hoodie, or his snack foods.

April 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  50. blade1975

How cute and disgusting you bring up the clan as white hatred...

YET I can bring up flash mobs beating up whites and only have to dip back a year in the news. Odd how everyone avoid hate crime lables on that yet all the attackers were black and all the attacked were white.

The racism that exists today is not the whites, it's us blacks. Sorry girl, reality and honesty.... or you can pretend to be a victim of nothing for a new social program and a dollar instead of your equality,

April 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • jacob

Did you even read the article, or did you just get through one sentence, realize using your brain made your head hurt, and give up? She says in the article that she has been saddened by the actions of black people on the internet as well.

April 17, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • DUANEX

HEAR HEAR...

April 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ReverseRacism

From everything that has been said and done by the black community and many black news anchors–I agree with your statements blade1975. The black community has shown that they are the most hateful racists of all. They have formed a national lynch mob to go after George Zimmerman before the man has a chance to speak or go to court. They have jumped to racist conclusions and spread hateful lies, inflaming the whole black community and country. I am sickened by this display of RACISM. YES RACISM!! Stop hating on white people. Also, there is NO WHITE GUILT here. You shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. What the new black panthers, spike lee, and others have done is CRIMINAL.!!

April 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Reggie from LA

Lies. More lies. All that was being asked was that the court play a role in this case. The police do not adjudicate. A state's attorney on the word of the police does not adjudicate when someone has been killed. You'd want that if you had a child and something like that happened. No? It's ok that Zimmerman walks on his word? Do you think minority communities support criminals because they have the same skin? Only ignorant ones would. Everybody has a handful of fools. Im seeing that tonight.

April 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • BS

Daniel Adkins, his killer walked, because Adkins was not the correct color.

April 17, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kane

While I do agree with you, anonymity is a double edged word. There are several negatives that come from it, but it is also the great equalizer and liberator of the internet. It is the increasing tendency to remove anonymity that makes the internet such a hostile place, from where I sit. Without faces, without names, it is a pure exchange of idea – yes some of those ideas will offend you and some will offend me, but it is still an exchange of thought which in itself invaluable. Only by embracing the ignorant can one begin to help them see.

Without anonymity voices would be silenced and the exchange of thought would fall under jurisdiction of one or another populist group. The loss of this inherent freedom offered by the lack of physical interaction would far outweigh the damage done by ignorance.

April 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kane

I also have to point out you singled out Christians and whites in your article. I can assure as a white Christian male, proud of my Germanic heritage, and fond of short hair have also on many occasions been singled out and called the N-word. But in my case, rather than a simplistic insult to my color, the N-word – Nazi – insulted my character, integrity, and asscoiated me with a political idealogy that has stained the honor of an entire nation. The concept that white males do not experience racism is horribly wrong. Walk into a room once and have everyone blame you for the actions hundreds of years old done to people they never knew by people that you never knew – and then perhaps you can speak on an even uglier side of racism.
      *I lost many 'friends' for being in an inter-racial relationship, I do not regret that. But I was never accepted by parts of her family who were equally ignorant.

April 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • mark longhurst

surely each generation has the ability to form their own views and even tough racism is alive and well today , I believe the 'older' generation are pushing and shoving with outdated beliefs. All over the world an underswell of integration will disolve this hatred and at the same time allow cultural diversity to happen-being tagged with an old label is bemeaning , I am a white Zimbabwean-I am immediately tarred with a racist colonial label-before they know what I'm about

April 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. CaptainDorkOfTheWeeniePatrol

Anyone who takes anonymous comments seriously is an idiot. Still, we do need that privacy.

We are all savvy enough to weed out the noise and consider remarks that are meaningful, whether they support or oppose our views.

While this article has some relevancy, it is mostly venting.

Nothing new has been revealed and none of us are more informed by its content.

The Internet has a base-line of trolls in all comment sections.

We knew that.

April 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ghirko Blake

In many cases the racism is fake, used to make people angry so internet kids can laugh at them, and one who is able to go "whatever" is treated like the cool kids – but one can use online anonymity to express real racism too

April 17, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  54. mediacrasher

Look at all of them justifying remaining anon while spewing invectives at sun kissed people. Remember, these are jurors that are sending sun-blessed males to prison by the truckloads who may not belong there anymore than Bush or Clinton. Scary.

April 17, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Sun-blessed and IQ-challenged.

April 17, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • David in Cincinnati

I think Ron's point is that Bush was not IQ-challenged, which has kept him out of jail, though not out from evil.

April 18, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  55. TexDoc

I have never heard of words hanging someone from a tree. Free expression of ideas, with almost no limites, is what sets this nation apart from others, and despite most 'commenters' being rude, stupid and full of useless prattle, I do defend their right to have an opinion and express it.

April 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  56. nepawoods

Sorry, the comparison between online anonymity and ku klux klan robes is absurd. Everyone posting here is anonymous. The better part of the internet is anonymous. When half or more of society where's pointy hooded white robes, and a tiny fraction do so to perpetrate hatred anonymously, then the comparison will be valid. Most people who exercise their right to be anonymous are not hateful racists.

April 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  57. mediacrasher

Call them by their real names; Keyboard Klansmen. Too much of a coward to take their garbage out at dusk much less fight for justice for all.

April 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Carol

Terrific article – Ms Eckhoff, I share your high hopes for your son and his generation. This country deserves to have a society where we are not judged by race and other physical factors.

April 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TexDoc

The only people I often see judging by race are democrats. They seem to want eveyrone into a victim group.

April 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Race is far more than a "physical factor."

April 17, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  59. twang

I always wonder if the ones calling people trolls are black. They use TROLLS like blacks use RACIST. Everyone is voicing their opinion,but they are trolls is you dont like what they say

April 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • kamanakapu

I can't understand the use of that word 'troll'. This is what I got from the dictionary:

troll 1 |trōl|
      noun
      a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.

April 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom Andrews

It is a new use of an old word...
        In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]

April 18, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Cranky

Trolling as in fishing: dragging baited lines behind a boat.

Some trolling is essentially vandalism. There is another fraction, however, that can be seen as a valid rhetorical tactic. Few tactics are more effective at showing one or another online statement to be shallow and emotionally charged opinion, often just copied or crudely paraphrased from others' statements, and backed by very little factual basis or respectable degree of independent thought.

April 18, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  60. Lee

Some of these people aren't closet racists, but are using the internet as a way to vent. When all you hear is that the white man is to blame for the black mans plight, you will get angry with these people and voice your opinion, even if it is full of hate at the time. These people may not feel this way all the time, but if you keep poking the bee hive eventually you will get stung. So keep blaming everyone else for your problems and their will be backlash, and eventually you may be faced with a real problem. Everyone just needs to realize that racism is all in our heads. It doesn't have to be real if we don't make it. If any of you really knew where racism came from you'd be appalled that we all were played so easily. Read a real history book on the founding of this country and you'll come to realize that racism was created by wealthy plantation owners that were afraid of black slaves and poor whites would get together and revolt. If they m ade them hate each other than that would no longer be a threat. We were trained to hate each other.

April 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. rick

That fat chick is a n1gger!!

April 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShawtyKneeGrow

She stole my 12 piece family bucket!

April 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • HEHE

It probably was her chicken first.

April 17, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • RapeVan

This is just more of the media stirring the pot. Here's what needs to happen, all the races (or representatives thereof)
      should get together and have a Hungry Hungry Hippos tournament. All but the winners will be sent to colonize Mars.

April 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • regan28

hey ricky boy your mother is a n1gger!!

April 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElmerGantry

Go back to posting on the FAKE NEWS blogs.

April 18, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom Andrews

that dude rick is a tr*ll.

April 18, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  62. shawbrooke

The anonymity also allows truth to be told whether or not people want to hear it. Anonymity allows people with hate in their hearts to hear the real voices of others who do not and who are horrified. Anonymity allows those truly troubled to release their concerns in words and gain perspective from a variety of voices, not just one therapeutic voice that might be wrong. There are 2 sides to most things, and hearing some things that you don't want to hear is a small price to pay.

April 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Andrews

Ah, an optimist. Refreshing really. But don't assume that just because they post in the same space they can actually "hear' or recognize truth when they see it. All these hateful responses are the best proof of the author's point that, "The Mason-Dixon line is no longer a physical place; it's a state of mind."

April 18, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  63. fourteenlines

I stopped reading when she mentioned Trayvon Martin.

April 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Andrews

You probably stopped reading much earlier than that. Maybe 4th grade?

April 18, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  64. BD70

I wonder if the ones who spread hate online do so in their everyday life. If not..they are not showing their true colors in person.

April 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • twang

Its illegal to say what you really think

April 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • HarshReality

Or close enough. Soon will be I fear. . .

April 17, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michael Abatemarco

Oh! Please. If that were true, then why this article? It is one thing to defend free speech but quite another to conflate criticism of hateful speech with censorship. That's absurd.

April 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rel

Many who are critical of online "hate" would see it banned in their next breath.

April 17, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • HEHE

heretics and the inquisition

April 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Brock Lynch

I try not to let things get me down. That's all I can say about this.

April 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. edmundburkeson

Its the best thing to ever happen to news. It is no longer a one way conversation. When bias tries to masquerade as real news, we can shovel crap back in the other direction. Can you hear me Al Sharpton?

April 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. b d

Is this lady serious?

April 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

Unfortunatly. She wants to be surrounded by yes-men. Sad.

April 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Charles

So according to the authors logic, I should just walk around with a nametag on all the time, so that fear of reprisal from strangers will keep me from doing anything bad. If I don't do this than I'm a coward.

Is this article a joke? Am I on candid camera right now?

April 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  69. paul

The internet is the COWARD's best friend

April 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

And the hypocrites. . . .

April 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ron

And the truth's.

April 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. AM

Tangela Ekhoff is so right! How about expressing agreement with her for a change? Nice article!

April 17, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Meep

As disgusted as I was with the racists comments in regards to the Martin case, I still support their right to say it. I hate it, it's ignorant but what is the alternative? Keep in mind the majority of those people would never say that out loud to another but they do it online. They are just angry small people in real life and it makes them feel powerful for a few moments to lash out at others. Always keep that in mind and they lose their power. In the end, it's important for all to have the power to be anonymous. It really is the voice of the people.

April 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

100% agree. the things some people say are disgusting, but we can't lost the right to say it. and the ability to speak anonymously gives people motivation to speak what they otherwise would not, and can spark larger movements. as an example, the "Arab Spring" would never have happened without the ability for people to discuss their opinions anonymously online, giving people the ability to spread ideas that their governments didn't want to be spread.

April 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Joe

I got attacked outside a bar one night by 7 guys. I'm getting hit from every direction, throwing punches back but taking a good beating. Then the only black guy in the group pulls a knife and stabs me right in the gut.

I don't know, you tell me.

April 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrRellim

I will tell you Joe, you are a racist if you think that the color of the persons skin had anything to do with them stabbing you.

April 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Terran18

Sounds like life experience, its ignorant to throw the word racist out.

April 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • HarshReality

And you assume that it didn't??? Who is using the broad brush here?? He never said it was done for racisim, just that a black did it. So is Truth the new Racisim??

April 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • regan28

stop making things up joe and buy yourself a real life

April 17, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • HEHE

Sorry Joe it looked black and white with violence.

April 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  73. David

A good argument is ok, but running your mouth like you just did, attacking personally because of a point of view is what's wrong, which is exactly the argument that Ms. Ekhoff is trying to make. We should all be held responsible for the things we say, and when a comment, such as yours, deserves a smack on the face, we should be able to deal with it. Words are powerful tools and we should know they have a price.

April 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • 8BallnCornerPocket

Again a small voice of reason that will be drowned out by a crescendo of lunacy. Good people shouldn't even have to restrain themselves from making low blow comments. They are emotional people on the higher end of the emotional scale shared by any culture or race that easily lose control and vent over the smallest disturbance to their being. Such is life. Like a goose that hisses at you because he believes you pose a threat (I actually walk by the same goose everyday at work, always hissing), and you know what his constant hisses does get under my nerves now since this has been going on for months. My point perpetual antagonizing leads to eventual conflict by nature. (But i would not hurt the goose if he were cool. But now???)

April 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Anon

I totally support equal righst for all but this is a bunch of crap. Only a fool would put their info out on the internet for all to see. Social networking is an attack on our civil rights to privacy and anyone who uses it is naive or stupid. Religion is the biggest problem in this world, people fighting each other over some nebulous being that was probably an alien anyway. Religion is the crutch of the weak minded.

April 17, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  75. room22

While there is truth to this article, it fails in the assumption that everyone online is posting their actual thoughts and opinions. The truth is there is also a lot of simply typed fabricated fiction to see what responses it gets.. or, simply copy/pasted from somewhere else. It's the internet way.

April 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terran18

Aka Trolls

April 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. HarshReality

Ditto

April 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Ryan Wenzel

9 out of 10 times when someone is being a racist on the internet, they're just trying to get people mad for laughs. The fact that the word "troll" is not used once in this article tells me that the author is unaware of this fact.

April 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Abatemarco

I doubt anyone with a real capacity for empathy would even bother, so screw em, trolls or not. Besides, unless it's sarcasm, that kind of behavior is sociopathic. Careful! Your comment comes close to sounding like a defense.

April 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Mike

I hate this article

April 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • David in Cincinnati

Period.

April 18, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  79. GET YOUR THINKING CAPS ON

quit playing the game and my mother said you give a lair enough rope they will hang themselves!

April 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

what is a lair?

April 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bozobub

A "lair" is the home/haunt of a creature, whether human or not. For example, "The mad scientist bought a nice sofa for his lair." – lol...

April 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  80. tasaad

The truth is we all hold stereotypical views of those who are not in the groups we belong too. Most people cannot see their thoughts and opinions about others being stereotypes, because to us it is truth. However, to the people in the groups that we hold stereotypical views about, our thoughts and opinions are not truths about them. The only way to stopped this unconscious system of thinking is to examine why we really think about the others the way we do. Spend some time, real time, in the social structure of those you believe you know the truth about and see how what you believe to be true is actual reality.

April 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Veronica

One can only voice a true opinion anonymously today. One better not be politically incorrect or you take your life in your hands. Even though stereotypes are earned people don't want to take responsibility for them. People can only voice their frustrations without fear of reprisal this way.

April 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Veronica, opinions are important and it's what makes a democracy work. However, you cannot veil baseless attacks on account of your opinion. Own up to your views and don't be a coward hiding behind a keyboard. That's what a society is all about, real interaction. If you wouldn't say it to a person face to face, you shouldn't say it on a public forum. Doing so just makes you a coward an your "opinion" absolutely worthless

April 17, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  82. JeramieH

"Give [a man] a mask, and he'll tell you the truth." – Oscar Wilde

April 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • haha

I like that,

April 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth

... And if he doesn't know the truth, he'll just troll.

April 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitch

That's what would-be commissars fear, that what they know to be the truth will out.

April 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  83. vdavis

where in the article did the author say that "white men" are evil???

April 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Peace Lilly

Such an eloquent article! So full of truth and so needing to be said. I am very vocal on these forums as so many use their anonymity to spew the hatred and fling their lies about "who" believes "what". I just know that every human on this planet is a beautiful being worthy of the same love and respect that I, myself, hope to have from all I come in contact with. I am sure the many haters out there reading this will automatically assume I am black, but I am white (as if it really mattered). And it's what I want for the world myself and my family lives in...stop the hating. Stop the anonymous attacks that show how racism is not only alive and well, but thriving in this world. I would reach out to anybody stealing a wallet before I would a white man wearing a hood...the thief may be hungry but the white man with the hood only has hatred in his heart. Racism is wrong and it's time to put it down. I appreciate this story very much but, before I have read the first comment, I already know what a lot of posters are going to say and I am so ashamed! And by writing this, I know all too well that I just painted a target on my post. So fire away, it won't change my mind one bit.

April 17, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

Martyr complex?

April 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karl

eloquent? Maybe if it was on a local christian blog, but I don't see this article being up to par for a national editorial.

April 17, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Flappy

I didn't read anything in the article that said white men are evil. Perhaps you read a different article than the one I did?

April 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  86. haha

terrible writer is terrible

April 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Scott

Online is the last place people don't have to be fake... I hate having to smile and be nice to everyone under the threat of the law.

April 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

In the old west, most men (and a lot of women) were armed. And the culture was VERY polite. Hmmmm

Maybe there's a coorelation here. But you are right, annonimity is the best way to go, otherwise we are surrounded by "yes men", and we all know where that leads. . . . .

April 17, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • JeramieH

> In the old west, most men (and a lot of women) were armed. And the culture was VERY polite.

Try Somalia.

April 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • HarshReality

Jerimia – Only the aggressors are armed, by various competing groups, islamist and christian. Apples and oranges.

April 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I was just going to write that. EXACTLY!!!

April 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  88. John Doe

If you want to hear what people really think, instead of masking their true feelings behind their name, then anonymity is necessary.

April 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • BluRod

But isn't being "civil" who we are as a nation? We all inherently have prejudices-it is about being able to put those aside or below the surface for the sake of civilization that gives us an edge over other countries.

April 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • John Doe

Our country was fought uncivilly for freedoms that were not being offered, such as freedom of speech, which is actually the first amendment. If our founding fathers kept "civil" to appease the British, as you so suggest, we wouldn't have this country that "gives us an edge" over the others.

April 17, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Reality

Since when does any one race or group have a right to be judge, jury and executioner? Even just to call the Martin shooting a senseless crime is wrong. We have a legal system in place and if I remember correctly we are all innocent until proven guilty. Remember that fact because it very well could be any one of us in Zimmerman's shoes trying to clear our names. The only people who know the facts are the ones who were there. That does not mean we know them all because some of it has spilled out. Take a deep breath, realize that there are always going to be ignorant people who let hate rule their hearts. This article did not bring anything constructive to the table. The next time this author is inspired to write something like this again, perhaps it should be on her Facebook page instead of a world news outlet. Think before you click indeed.

April 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jupman

What!

April 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

I agree. Zimmerman was defending himself. (He was getting back in his vehicle when attacked by Martin) Last I checked, we are allowed to defend ourselves.

I must say, now if I am attacked by a black male, can I still defend myself without worring that race riots will ensue??

April 17, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Athos

Finally, an eye witness. Now the poor guy can get back to his life.

April 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bozobub

Yet another nimrod with Faux News "knowledge" – lol...

April 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ollie

If we were all innocent until proven guilty, we wouldnt be taken to jail and made to pay hundreds if not thousands dollars for our "freedom" before a trial occured.

April 17, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Cate

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. She is with whatever God you profess to follow I am sure. And she loves you.

April 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  91. sallright

Wikipedia: "A flash mob (or flashmob)[1] is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression.." If you are speaking of the incidents sometime back in Philadelphia and other cities between 09-11, these were mistakenly called "violent flashmobs." I think the author instead echoes the sentiments of those who are more specifically seeing social media making it possible, much like the Klan did in the past, to create an anonymous atmosphere for, among other things, hate speech's use on the internet - whether it's target is, for example, race, immigration, or a response to an incident reported in a local newspaper ...

April 17, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Mike

And all i am seeing here is the author using her race as her hood. She makes wild generalizations about everyone who may say something bad about "blacks." About time the black community had a meeting about their damn hypocrisy.

White man kills black dude: oh the horror! must be a racist! call the president
    black man kills white dude: Man murders another man, not racist, this is the white mans fault for preventing the black dude from getting a good education.

Please! When you will become the majority, you won't be able to use the race card anymore. Racism is bad yes, but race is a two way street, it is not "Blame the white guy only" street.

April 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jupman

The reality is truth. Find me a story where a white person kills a black person because he is not black. White people who kill black people do so because of hate, spite, jelosey. Just like the guy who ran the man over a while back. what he was just havine a bad day. No he admitted he hats blacks.

April 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • HarshReality

WOW! You are so right! No white man defends himself, ever! Now I see!

ALL blacks killed by whites is "murder", straight up, no self defence allowed!

Thanks for clearing that up.

April 17, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  93. User21

Please remove this author from the contributors list, with an article that is all over the place and trying to be culturally relevant by stoking the racial fire that's burning right now is just utterly pathetic. Rather than citing crimes that clearly attempt to bring a pity party to an entire race just be real about things and acknowledge the fact that there are horrific crimes committed everyday regardless of race. Please get over yourself, get over your race, stop having an "oh woe is me" pity party and contribute something positive to society. Go back to school and study engineering or medicine or any other program that has a positive impact on the world regardless of any race, gender, or orientation. People like yourself make me sick and sad that I live on the same planet.

April 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba™

Yes, and ugly too! 🙂

April 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • twang

Would you go to a brain surgon that skated through school on affirmative action?

April 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • HarshReality

Aye, now we must. It is this societys fate to be undermined by well meaning fools.

April 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • HEHE

Oh so now she can't have her first amendment right. Oh so she can't wine about injustices like your first amendment right gave you the privilege to right a comment expressing how you feel.

April 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • ElmerGantry

Unfortunately to goal is to stop people from speaking out. Don't let them stop you from commenting.

Silence is the voice of complicity.

April 17, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Austin

This ladies kids will be the ones growing up to be just like Trayvon Martin. Thugs. Also, those internet racists have been pushed back to the internet because apparently its not proper etiquette to blame a race for being the leading percentage of crime in this country. Hey but we cant all have an all access pass to being racist like the NAACP, Al Sharpton, and the Black Panther's.

April 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flappy

Thank you for demonstrating the point of the article.

April 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric R

You pretty much proved her point...grow a pair and say that to someone's face you coward

April 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jupman

Yes you have proved the point of the article. I love the blanket term Thug like its the only word you know.

April 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • David in Cincinnati

But haven't you noticed, Jupman? Denoting someone as thug is now grounds for execution.

April 18, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • regan28

finish smoking your meth and go back down in the basement – sorry trailer do not have basements.

April 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Gita

"I am not proud of the way some African-Americans have used social media in the aftermath of Martin’s death and since the Tulsa shootings. Demanding justice is understandable and necessary; demanding blood is wrong. As a community, African-Americans need to take a good hard look at the images, ideas and actions that we are projecting to the world. It's painful to hear, but until we start seeing the value of our own lives, no one else will."

April 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Jamie

Whoever wrote this article is pathetic. Please crawl back into your hole and never come out again, the world would be a better place without you spewing this garbage.

April 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karl

Well that was constructive Jamie...

April 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Aaron

Very constructive.
        This is an opinion article, she has a right/

April 17, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • regan28

she may crawl out but you need to crawl back in jamie

April 17, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Excellent post!

September 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Jack

It will always exist. Haters on both sides and everything in between. Standard distribution. So we are not gonna all hold hands and sing kumbya.

April 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Greyman

You make many valid points, Mrs. Ekhoff. One can't go anywhere on any comment page on a news site without seeing some rant about 'welfare leeches' and the like. But a 'come-to-Jesus' meeting ain't the answer. As an atheist, I see a lot of such hate directed at me, telling me I'm a cancer on society simply for existing, but I can't follow along with any religion, let alone Christianity.

April 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • sallright

:"Come to Jesus" (meeting, talk, understanding) is only an expression, most often used in the South to stress the importance of folks getting clear on where they stand - it's not really about doing something "in the name of" anything, except getting straight on an issue ...

April 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • William

Your point is a good one. You being an Atheist allows everyone with a God to personally attack you. You are a minority in a sense among the world. People will always look down on the minority, except the Rich of course. I hate being categorized in any group, I am Me and there is no other. No Identical person, even a twin, can match who exactly I am. I wish I found out for 100 percent that there was no God of anykind. Then I would understand the feeling I have had most of my life. The feeling of being stuck on this rock and knowing I will go no further than that. My atoms will be nothing in about 5 billion years. So why does any of it matter.

April 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • OrionStyles

You mean all the atoms in your body that enter and leave about once a year?

For certain they are not "your" atoms.

April 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Laura

The belief in God must be through faith. If you do not believe in God, that does not keep you from living a life of goodness, honesty and loving your fellow man. This is an important philosophy to live in this world with peace. You do not have to be a believer to have a good and decent life.

April 18, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Greyman, those that criticize and demean you are the true cancers. All of the atheists that I know are among the most honest, kindest, intelligent and truthful people I know. I believe the important thing is how one lives his life, and not what he professes to believe. There are too many that pretend to believe something that is completely different than how they conduct their lives.

April 18, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  99. Hernandez

As a follower of Christ i love my friends & family that are black, white, brown, yellow, red, gay, athiest, catholic, presbyterion, christian, gang members, theives, liars, cheaters and so on. it's one thing to enforce what i beleave in my life & it is wrong to try to enforce what i beleave in another's life. it makes more sense to show someone that life can be better without wanting what others want you to want all the time. without some of the negative in my life i would not have seen all the good around me. honesty does not always sound positive & in order to have a discussion with a goal of a more positive life for all, will have to be done on level ground with all the players. if your only willing to look at the situation from one side than you will not understand!

April 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I liked your comments .......I too believe you can lead and influence others by example, as you cannot force anyone to believe just as you do.

April 18, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  100. Karl

While I agree with the whole anonymity is the new cloak of hatred, I started to feel a hypocritical tone when it was said that "America needs to have a come-to-Jesus meeting about race.", America is not strictly a Christian nation, to assume so puts you a peg closer to that of the racists you hate.

April 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sallright

Again, simply an informal figure of speech, that's refers to tent revivals and altar calls and stuff like that ... never meant as a reference to us as wholly or only a Christian nation ...

April 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Karl

You might use it as a figure of speech, but I have a feeling the author did not when you look at the entire article.

April 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mattyj

Sorry Karl, but he/she is right. It is only a figure of speech. Recall, the author grew up in Alabama...

April 17, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sallright

Karl, it's a bit of satire only - directed at Christians not behaving as they hold themselves out to be (a la Gandhi's "I like your Christ, it's your Christian's I don't understand .." – paraphrasing, I think ...), so, in that case, it's time for self-proclaimed Christians to have a for-real come-to-Jesus meeting regarding what they are really about instead of donning a figurative hood and spewing hate ... And just since we've been writing, the level of vitriol in the newer comments is just so sad ... almost proving the contributor's point.

April 17, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Monica

Agreed...
        I think the most valid point made in this article is the issue of balck-on-black crime. "As a community, African-Americans need to take a good hard look at the images, ideas and actions that we are projecting to the world. It's painful to hear, but until we start seeing the value of our own lives, no one else will." I agree with this statement. Everytime I hear a young black male call another black male the "N" word (and I dislike that term, as well), I ask why? Why would you want to use that word at all, let alone as a term of endearment? It's crazy. I think was a very valid article. I am wondering if some of the other commetators even read it.

April 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Laura

I think you are right, Sallright. It is time for those that proclaim to be righteous Christians to start living their religion. How about "do unto others as you would have others do unto you".

April 18, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |