Study: Mexican immigration to United States slows to standstill
A Pew Hispanic Center study says the number of immigrants coming from Mexico to the United States has steeply declined.
April 23rd, 2012

Study: Mexican immigration to United States slows to standstill

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - Net Mexican immigration to the United States has slowed to a standstill, according to a report released Monday.

"These developments represent a notable reversal of the historic pattern of Mexican immigration to the U.S., which has risen dramatically over the past four decades," the center's report says.

Many factors are probably behind the trend, the report said, including rising deportations, greater enforcement at the border, growing dangers associated with border crossings, the weakened U.S. job market and a long-term decline in Mexico's birth rates.

The 1.37 million Mexican immigrants who came to the United States between 2005 and 2010 was about half the number who immigrated during previous five-year periods, according to the analysis, which was based on national population surveys in the United States and Mexico.

Meanwhile, from 2005 to 2010, 1.39 million Mexicans and their families left the U.S. to return to Mexico, the report says. That's more than double the number of people who did it during a five-year period the decade before, the report says.

While analysts said for years that immigration from Mexico to the United States was dwindling, the Pew report says 2010 Mexican census data offer some of the first "hard evidence that flows back to Mexico had grown over the same period."

Posted by
Filed under: Immigration • Latino in America • Who we are
soundoff (1,551 Responses)
  1. Tlaloc

50% of federal prisioners are illegals??? source please.

April 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Melvin

Why would Canadians want to emigrate to America? They have lower unemployment and higher standards of living.

April 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

I Agree, smart answer.

April 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BillyBob

So you say, but all the canadians who have anything to offer head for America as soon as they are able.

April 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. relmfoxdale

I never hear too many people getting angry about the employers in this situation. As far as I understand these things, employing people who cannot work here legally is a violation of federal employment law. I realize many illegal immigrants have fake IDs and stuff, but I can't imagine those are too hard to ferret out if you try. I'm guessing it's a case of purposefully not examining those cards too closely. But while these employers are violating the law and profiting by it, the honest ones are losing out. Imagine–you follow all the *federal* laws regarding employment and working conditions in your business, and you lose money. Is this what we want? Meanwhile, the authorities all look the other way.

I remember wanting help with something once, and someone told me to just go down to the Home Depot and pick up some of the guys who are standing around. She was like, "It's not a big thing. It's just how things are done." Really?

People say that getting rid of illegals will hurt some of our industries (like construction and agriculture), and I think they're right. But I also think we can find a way to make it work, like some sort of work > status system, although that smacks a little too much of indentured servitude. Either way, we're all contradicting ourselves. We can't complain about illegal immigration and then complain about prices (or panic at the thought of prices skyrocketing).

April 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Usd2B

Best statement I have read under this article. These poor people only want to blame someone for their lack of education and self growth. I came to this country illegally 20 years ago. I went to school, married obtained residency and I am now US citizen. I went to college and have a degree. I love this country and what is has helped me accomplish. Most of you just have hate and a brain full of arrogance and ignorance. Get an education. Take the opportunity this country offers and stop blaming others for your failure. When you are going through hard times due to your laziness look in the mirror. You don't see a Mexican there do you? These are way to far ahead time to be so hateful. Hate will only eat you alive while your problems remain.

April 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. maria

I am glad they are leaving, good for them. Mexicans were never appreciated, and they were mistreaded all the time. Now, if American people wants to have fruit, and vegestable on their table, let them go and work hard in the orchards and farms for it. Mexicans are very smart, they see how the economy is going down, and prices are rising, so they know that something is about to happen, and they do not want to be here for it. Who knows, maybe very soon it will be the North Americans trying to go across the border into Mexico. They better have a green card if they do.

April 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Eagle

I love you Maria.

April 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • maria

Thank you, and by the way I am from Puerto Rico, but I lived long enough in USA to see the abuse, and mistreatment of those poor people who wanted nothing but to work, and raise a descent family. Something that many Americans do not have.

April 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hi

Mexicans are also North Americans. Just a little FYI

April 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • maria

Oh yeah? then treat them like one. You know very well what I meant.

April 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • vic

maria, I love your comment, it's by far the most intelligent here. Dios te bendiga!

April 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • maria

Thank you! same to you.

April 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. 1%

the 99% will do

April 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ColdWar153

Excellent points – however, you left out per capita GDP and income distribution. I don't have those numbers in front of me, but the average American is a great deal better off (financially) than the average Mexican. And mind you that the Mexicans that come to the US illegally are not representative of your average Mexican. Having a global open global economic system will inevitably speed the growth of developing economies, and stunt the growth of the strongest economies.

April 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. angelika

Are you kidding your self? Do you think any American's would bend over and work 16 – 24 hours, for low back paying back hurting jobs? They will have to be out in the hot sun? You think they would do these kinds of jobs? I have not seen American's working in the fields for centurys. You must be joking.

April 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • True American

Listen, I take offense to that. I've worked hard all my life but as with any multicultural country we seem to be the melting pot of the world where many different people from different backgrounds come here to live life, I for one work hard daily, I'm a white American not racist but open minded. I think laws need to be in place to protect not only our country, but our people whether your here naturally or not. If you decide to come over without going through the proper processes then you get what you deserve for taking the chance....I know many different people from Mexican to Indian and many are friends of mine who I respect, They came over using the right methods in place and they are living a good life...

The statement of Americans are lazy, Wrong, there's nothing I'd ask someone else to do that I would not do myself. I can work on my own car, plant my own food, take care of my landscape and home, That statement is total BS, It's like saying without the educated American white collar worker who runs the banks, big business ect...where would the Mexicans be because they can't or won't wear a suite and tie...?

A simple solution: Everyone pull their head out of their a$$, find out what the real problems are and come to a real world solution that works for most of it.....There's not going to be a fix for everything so get a grip and get with reality and stop pointing fingers and start fixing the problems!!

April 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. NorCalMojo

Illegal immigration is ignored for one reason. That reason is cheap labor.

It's surprising how few people can connect a limitless supply of low skilled labor with the growing income disparity.

Labor supply goes up, costs(wages) go down. Simple economics.

Demand for low income housing goes up, rents go up. Again, simple economics.

If you want lower wages and higher rents for our most vulnerable workers, keep supporting illegal immigration.

April 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paulo

Agree.

Everyone wants cheap... well!...

April 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paulo

If you are an illegal how can you collect all those things???????? LOL...
      By the way..Those who uses fake social security cards cannot collect taxes... so that money goes back to the government.

April 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tlaloc

Illegal people can't collect social security or welfare..get the facts straight. 130 billion? source please.

April 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

I like reporting half the numbers. The same reports that say illegals consume 130 billion in funds also say those same illegals pay 180 billion in to the US economy. Leaving a surplus of 50 billion but please lets continue to report only half the numbers.

April 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. conrad

Illegals don't qualify for welfare and cannot receive it.

Apparently they only qualify for working long hours for very low wages and an incredible depth of hatred from their fellow light skinned human beings.

April 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ron in California

via con dios...and don't come back

April 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paulo

it is "vaya con Dios"... cool... now I guess you want to do your laundry, clean your streets, change your tires...or may be you ready to pay more for your food??..

Careful, as many companies hired them for cheap labor.. as people do not want to pay more... so who is to blame?..
      Companies for paying low labor to people who wants to make a living?.. or the guy who fights over $5 tomatoes in his salad ?..... THINK! 😉

April 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • digitalclips

We have Tea Party supporters for those jobs!

April 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • maria

jajaja, good Paulo, that is their problem. Instead of taking the opportunity to learn a new language, about a new culture to make theirs richer, they just don't. The majority of Americans know only one language. Go to any country in the word and they know two or more languages, here in America the Americans knows only one language, and they do not even pronounce it right!

April 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ashwinisule

Sure, let's change the immigration laws. And how do you propose we do it?
    Also, what is the source of information for all the statements you made? Or are they just your assumptions because you think thats what happens.
    Having kids here in this country does not open up the path to legal immigration, if thats what you're implying.

April 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

April 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Euro dude

Illegal immigrants are not getting any welfare!
    Nice troll!

April 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paulo

LOL>... as funny as it is.. it is true...
    they could not find white people to pick up oranges at the Florida fields... They quite the first day... now the companies put the cost on the consumers... NO MORE MEXICANS..NO CHEAP FOOD!!!.. so keep that idea and the "regular North american" has to get on their knees and get to work because the Mexicans will leave and the Chinesse will stop shipping... 😉

April 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rabble-Rouser

Butter!?! Why that!?!

April 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. coolbreeze

The only dishwashing that is done are those of white women that take care of my house. As a young entrepreneur my nest egg is in the millions with assets in real estate, business, and stocks. What is your networth? Paycheck 2 paycheck, credit card, mortgage, or car debt is not considered worth.

April 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BIll

If our beloved politicians keep up the good work, Americans will be sneaking into Mexico to get out of this country..

April 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rabble-Rouser

Touché! Well said!

April 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

As I said, make sure you apply for a visa or green card first.

April 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. two12er

I'm a European living in the US (as a legal immigrant). After 15 years in this country, I'm pretty sure that if this country was run by the mexicans, a lot more would be accomplished. Americans have become a bunch of lazy and fanatic cry babies.

April 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • angelika

I am an European Immigrant (Legal too). But I would never call American's cry baby or laczy. Cause I know many American's work hard to put food on their table, and a roof over there head. You should not judge and put every one in the same pot. That is not right!

April 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pilgrim 5

Let's enforce the laws that meke it illegal to have a job, get an ID, and lets make some new laws that prohibit illegals from having a life here at all. Politicians, wake up and smell the coffee. Stop building fences and hiring border patrol agents. Make it impossible to live here, and they will go away.

April 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. tms

I think they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes, America! Ask anyone in TEXAS if they have stopped infilltrating the borders...what a CROCK!

April 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rabble-Rouser

It is time for an end to all immigration! We have enough people in the country! Stop now!

April 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jesus7000

when are you leaving?

April 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. longtooth

Interesting numbers. Source?

April 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rabbit

Most of you cry out...It's the gun...the problem is the gun, and other's point out...it's the owner of the gun, and still others say...it is the person that is using the gun in a manner that is not consistent with our rules! Now ask yourself...Is it that they are hard working immigrants? NO! Is it that some parts of our economy need their skills and cheap labor? NO! Is it that they have entered illegally and are illegally gaining the system? YES...That is where the problem is!

April 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Paulo

You are right......Mostly of illegal Mexicans, Germans, Africans...etc do not pay taxes as mostly of companies pay them under the table (who is to blame?)., they use and abuse the system so much??.. The worker or the companies?. How can you collect taxes using fake or stolen Social Security cards?... when the number comes back wrong? Even you can claim 07, 08 10 + children in their tax return.. So what this has to do? I am Latino (Ex military too) and this is not a joke as this is more a social gap and a social crises. And let me clarify that YOU having illegal Mexicans in this country is the one who really benefit from it.. or I do not see you complaining to why your tomatoes, strawberries are so expensive now?, and yes Illegal Mexicans send money home and the money is spend there not here and helping the Dollar (currency) stay strong in the international market.

April 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Alan S

Myke: Exactly.

April 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jake

Could not have said it better.

April 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jake

It is about time these free loaders are going back to their country. I live in a county that is full of illegals. I can't stand to go grocery shopping and be in line watching a pregnant mexican with 6 kids following along, paying for their groceries with food stamps while I have to pay cash for mine. I am a retired senor and my ancestors came into this country through Ellis island. We have no idea who these people are or where they came from. 90% of Americans don't want them here so get tough on them and send them back where ever.

April 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. B

Ever since the first Europeans showed up in North America, there has been crime. Send all of the illegal immigrants since 1498 back to their countries of origin!

April 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • RetroMike

The best response I've read. Other than the Native American everybody else need to be quite about immigration, Illegal and otherwise.

April 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. TWH

They are probably leaving b/c they can see the writing on the wall. America's economy and US Dollar are on the verge of collapse. They are getting out while they can.

April 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. fleiter

Justin: When they have kids in the U.S. (who are citizens) they receive all government benefits. Most illegals are paid cash. They don't pay taxes at all, except sales tax on those very few items that they buy at stores that actually charge sales tax. Cash and carry businesses in largely Hispanic neighborhoods in Los Angeles and other cities don't collect sales tax or they underestimate it. These illegals who receive cash pay, often file income tax to just receive the Earned Income Tax Credit. Most people who receive that credit receive more money from the government than from their employer, at least more than their reported income.

April 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. N.

They do pay taxes, usually with fake/stolen social security numbers. What this means is that they don't claim tax returns, so in essence, they often overpay. We would appreciate it if you don't make stuff up, OK?

April 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. decezare

The best people in this USA world are Latino people.Thank you so much Latinos!MUCHOS GRACIAS.

April 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Amy

Reverse discrimination..happens all the time and they call whites racist? I am white and I work my ass off every single day, and make $20,000 a year in southern CA. Try going to the midwest where whites are the majority of the working poor.

April 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • coolbreeze

20K/ year ,That's your own fault. The U.s.a has so many opportunities go back to school and get an education. Or have you already missed the bus? And now your blaming someone else for your own failures in life

April 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Unit34AHunter

Exactly so. Also, Mexico exports its serious social problems by sending its poorest and most criminal (not always the same thing) to the United States, which acts as a kind of political safety valve for Mexico's entrenched privileged class. That is why it is official Mexican federal policy to encourage illegal immigration to the USA.

April 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Eric

If you are here illegally , bye-bye, have a nice trip.

April 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Danny

This is a good thing. The reason is that money that illegal immigrants get don't go back into the American economy....it most likely gets sent to their families in Mexico. In addition, illegal immigrants don't pay taxes into the very system they mooch off of. So, they take from our system and don't give back in return. The unfortunate result is that legal, hard-working Americans have to work harder in order to pay for those who don't help our country in any way, shape or form. It's the liberal way...take from those who have worked hard on their own merit to get what they have and give to those who are unwilling to work for it.

April 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midest Mom

I'm liberal and I think our immigration policy sucks. While I'm socially liberal, I'm fiscally conservative and I think we need to close our borders entirely for a good 10 years and let our own folks actually get a job. The money we spend on anchor babies and educating and providing health care (emergency room) to illegals can be better spent educating our own children. Yes, we will eventually fix our schools to actually teach our kids the math and skills they need to fill the jobs. We keep looking overseas to fill the gap our pathetic education system is not filling. We have enough folks in this country as it is, let's take care of them first folks and then worry about the rest of the world when we have all our kids graduating and actually eating nutritionally sounds meals every day THEN, we can let in the less fortunate. Yeah, I know, doesn't sound very liberal/democratic but it's practical.

April 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Unit34AHunter

Speak for yourself. No "we" about it.

April 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jose

The only option here is to build two walls between Canada and Mexico to prevent the flow of immigration. Many Americans do not want to work for the minimum wage, they want to work less for more. Let our government to know why are we sending working companies overseas? why not keep them here in America? of course, these companies want to pay less taxes. Why do we have 5500 miles of unsupervised border with Canada? and we have 1900 miles of a supervised border with Mexico? so where do you think we have the most problems of immigration flow from? or ask yourself which border-side a potential terrorist would consider to cross into the U.S territory more easily with out being caught at all? Seems that America has not seen the reality of the problem, do your test on acquiring information visit google.com and type in immigration issues in Canada there you will have an answer.

April 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unit34AHunter

We don't have a huge problem with illegal immigrants entering via Canada.

April 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • vic

LOL..

April 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • relmfoxdale

Americans want to work less for more money? Wow, they must be the only people in the world who'd like that, huh? No one else would appreciate getting more reward for less effort. Nope. If I went to Germany (chosen at random) and offered someone $10/hour or $8/hour for the same work, they'd take the $8, right? It's just those Americans who'd take the $10...so lazy, LOL.

Last time I checked, the terrorists (who have nothing to do with this story) did not enter the US illegally. In fact, after the attacks, the immigration office issued a renewed visa to one of them, mere days after he'd been blown to smithereens on a very tall building in New York.

April 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Myke

Beyond high school, white people don't get "Free education", that's only for minorities.

April 24, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Unit34AHunter

It's a good start, I suppose, but it is not enough. Removing ALL illegals is the desirable outcome. As for the number of border-jumpers, I will believe there are fewer of them when the volume of discarded trash - backpacks, shoes, burlap blankets, discarded tins - that I have to pick up in the pristine space of the desert, decrease. So far I'm not seeing it.

April 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Awesome

Yes!!! The economy is sooooo bad here people are now sneaking back into Mexico!

April 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. aaavasque

I do not agree with your comment. You are considering the cost of hospital services given to illegal immigrants. However you forgot to consider the real savings from their labor by paying them a miserable wage and make them work like crazy. People like you, and me, get agricultural products and services (hotel rooms, food in restaurants, etc) which is a lot cheaper due to the LOW wages paid to people behind those services. If we pay illegals a salary and benefits required by Law, the cost of our tomatoes will easily triple. The same for the services. A serious Economical analysis, regarding illegal labor, need to be properly made, with all fairness, to fully understand that we get, a lot more, from illegals than what is giving them in return. Simple stated: Our economical model rest on the savings from cheap labor. One last comment: America used to be the leader in the world on human rights. However America’s leadership has been eroded by our incapability to make justice right here in America. This situation with Illegal immigration shows that bigotry is clouding our rationality. That is really sad to see. My only hope is that the outcome of all the illegal immigration debate is a set of laws that fixes this situation and provides justice, finally for immigrants. Let’s pay them what they deserve (wages and benefits) and let’s, all of us, pay real costs for agricultural products and services.

April 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. VT GUY

I'm preparing them to stand their ground.... lots of guns, bullets, and most important... teaching them to shoot straight. Old Vermont saying, might be out gunned and out numbered, but never out shot or out smarted!

April 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. the Nice guy

WHAT get rid of all illegals!!! WE HELPED BULID THIS COUNTRY!!!

April 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myke

No you didn't.

April 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Paulo

Yeah!..

All people came from Europe and Center America to the USA.

April 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • sparky

yeah, no you didn't

April 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Chance

@ Don
    Thank you! that is my point. Well said.

April 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jose

Everybody here is ignoring are not immigrants, our forefathers came mainly from Europe, the Natives are the only Americans. We have a current problem, why are we just concentrating with Mexico's side and not Canada? do you think we have more terrain with Mexico or Canada to battle the flow of illegal immigration? Consider this, there are 1900 miles of border with Mexico and 5500 miles with Canada, so where do you think is easy for any person is considered a possible Terrorist to enter into the U.S. finding a way without being caught? Remember Mexican border is supervised, but Canada is not. Let us ask the U.S. Government why aren't we blaming Canada for these issues and why Mexico has to be the escape goat of political views.

April 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Mainly because we don't have 20 million illegal aliens from Canada living here illegally with more coming over the northern border everyday. As to any Canadian illegal aliens in this nation – they should be deported as qucikly as anyone illegal from anywhere else.

April 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I dont think U.S. is threatened by anything Canada does

April 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. ltk

I find it interesting that the US is supposed to be the land of opportunity that for years everyone in the world aspired to come to but now some of those same people that came here for the opportunities are leaving at an even faster rate. We are an immigrant nation that was built on equal opportunity for everyone however we seem to have lost sight of that in the last 20 years. People came to America to get away from persecution, violence, and poverty. How did we become a nation of hatred and persecution of those who want a better life?

April 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

The people of this nation have always supported LEGAL immigration and still do. The people of this nation have always been against ILLEGAL immigration and still are. Nothing has changed expect for people like who who don't know the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL. A hint for you – they are not the same.

April 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Amy

That is what I used to think, but it isn't true. I have personal experience that applying for immigration to the US legally doesn't guarentee the ability to come here, even if you are a good, hard working, honest person. Very few get to immigrate to the US legally, therefore out of desperation, people RISK THEIR LIVES to come here illegally. America has always been discrimanatory in their immigration practice. Look at the Irish and the Jews in the 20th century, and now Mexico and the Middle East are the "red flags". The US is a better place to live than Mexico by all means, but immigration was never fair game.

April 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

ITK there is a major difference between Legal Immigrant and ILLEGAL immigrant. The difference is we know who the legal immigrant is and we have no records on those who come in without an invitation. Our ancestors came in through Ellis Island. They were charted, checked for diseases and told to learn English. I am certain you know the difference between the two descriptions but just wanted to clairify. Legally immigrants coming in are checked for disease and shot records must be up to date. Illegals are bringing in bed bugs and much worse diseases already gotten rid of in the USA.

April 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ed

The solution to the problem is simple. The social security card has to be changed to a new tamper proof, high tech card only issued to all current American citizens that can easily be verified by any employer. Any worker for any job must have this card. No card = no job = no illegal aliens. Any employer big or small has any workers without the card is a $50,000 fine for each offense. Yes there can be VISA and temporary alien workers but that would be by special tamper proof I.D. cards with specific end dates. No bringing whole families and must leave the U.S. at the end of the work permit term. Again any violation by any employer is a $50,000 fine for each occurrence. Again no card = no work = self-deportation = no illegal aliens. Also no welfare, social services, and only emergency medical care for non-citizens. Of course legal immigration is O.K. and would be accommodated. Any illegal aliens found would be deported. Not the solution Liberals are looking for but a solution in accordance with the law. A solution that would enforce existing law by using common sense.

April 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

No, most American citizens want our immigration laws respected and strictly enforced. That has nothing to do with shooting anybody – you seem to be the one that came up with that solution.

April 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anubis

I...saw that in a movie...called machete...I came up with it? lol The only way to enforce that law is to build that wall! Our forefathers should have just taken the entire continent...manifest destiny stopped a little short of the goal.

April 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • EMcK

Yeah, or we could put a symbol on everybody's right hand or forehead. WIthout it they wouldn't be able to work . . . or buy food.

Hmmmm. I wonder how that would go over with the evangelicals?

April 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  47. D. Allan

Yes it is..

April 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Davis

Exactly. If you are only talking about Mexico you are only talking part of the problem.

April 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Rabbit

Good point! Next!

April 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. AJ

Im usually one not comment in articles, but after reading so many hatred filled commentes, I think I like to remind people of a couple of facts.
    First since the creation of the colonies there have always been poppulation exchanges between both countries, and for a long time anglo saxon settlers were immigrants in Mexico and when their numbers grew too great, they joined the US. Im not debating wether it was right or wrong, Im simply pointing out that the US has expelled immigrants into Mexico too.
    Immigration isnt just a one way streeth, even to this day there are over 1 million US citizens living in Mexico making it the largest group of foreigners living in Mexico so its not just Mexicans leaving for the US.

April 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shuffler

The issue is not immigration, it is the illegals that are the problem. That and the problem with some folks calling illegals immigrants. Let them go home. They broke the law coming here and for some reason are held above the law while here. Every single one who came over illegally is a criminal before anything else. Our government treats our own people with less respect.

April 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobbuck4

How many of those 1 million are relying on Mexican citizens to pay for their health, education and welfare? Not to mention mention sending half or more of the money they earn to another country.

April 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • esoll

Good post. Most people do not know the importance of immigration and the US throughout the ages . We need anyone that is willing to work and integrate into our society. If you look at the reality you will see in general the Mexican immigrants, legal or not have a way better work etiquette than most of us, they are nicer, they have family value and they can teach us a few things. Most who complain are probably the one that see immigration as a treat to them either because they are at the bottom of our job scale themselves were most Mexican immigrant are. Give them a brake and welcome them in.

April 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  51. VT GUY

Only a start, we need to continue to turn the screws until every last illegal is out of the US, then we can use the money we spend on these dirtbags for our kids and schools.

April 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • NC Girl

Dirt bags? These are people. Nothing dirty about them. They worked hard and probably harder than you. What people fail to understand, that many of these people that you call dirt bags, contributed to the economy in this country and paid taxes. I am glad though that they are finally able to go back to their home country and don't have to put up with hatred and racism in this one.

April 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • half_the_story

This story came out under multiple sources, since last evening. The other news agencies reported that is was a "balanced" year since "new" immigration and exits equaled out. So, the overall number, in the country, did not decline. One thing I will note, it is hard to find any of the stories giving credit to states for stronger enforcement of the laws, as being an assist in this trend.

April 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • VT GUY

Sorry Charlie... built my own house, mow my own lawn, cut my own fire wood, and I have fun doing it. I love Sheriff Joe from Arizona!

April 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danny

We also need to start to lock up all American citizens that do anything illegal in this country including speeding, running red lights, j walking because it is also illegal and NOONE should ever engage in illegal activity and it is outrageous that so many Americans engage in illegal activity daily, it is so shocking that we would break the law so recklessly. So I really think we need to lock everybody up that breaks the law period not just the felonies. Illegal is illegal even if it is running a red light!

April 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jim

I hired a contractor in SC to build my custom house for $465,000. His block/brick crew and framing crew were all non english speaking hispanics. That was about 16-20 workers doing work that used to be done by Americans. When i asked him why he used these crews he admitted that they just gave him a much lower price. The wholesale flood of illegal immigrants from Mexico are one of the biggest reasons wage scales in this country have stagnated and in most cases gone down. There's a motel where many of them live 15 to a room that's $40 dollars a day. The area around the motel isn't safe to be after dark due to the high crime rates. They shop in a hispanic store where all the signs are in spanish and don't spend a cent anywhere else. I'm 100% in favor of legal immigration but this country has been severly damaged by the flood of immigrants from south of the border over the last twenty years.

April 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

your $465,000 house would have cost $600,000 without the lower paid wages. Honestly, if the choice was put in front of you, which price would you have paid?

April 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • jesus7000

i bet you fired him and his crew and replaced them with an English speaking crew,didn't you?

April 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Racism needs to end.

If America would actually put an end to degrading the drug wars in Mexico, maybe they would stop trying to find a quality life here. Ever think about that? Not every Mexican is a member of the cartel so quit hating and find something else to waste your time on.

April 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Rabbit

Do you think that maybe this is the reason our economy is picking back up? Are we already recognizing our cost savings? Illegal...thank you for going home! You have pointed out our errors and we recognize that we are going to have to adopt some laws similiar to your countries and the laws of other countries in order to retain some common sense when it comes to illegal immigration.

April 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  55. ellgee209

I don't believe for one minute that illegal immigration is declining. This is just a con story to take the heat off of illegal immigrants. They are still coming, taking jobs, using our hospitals for free and causing higher prices for Americans. I wish these groups would tell the truth. We know what is happening and we see it daily.

April 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. MysteriaKiito

I find this to be good news. Legal Americans need jobs, whether they were born here or actually went through the legal paperwork to immigrate here. Many are at a point where they would take those menial jobs just to feed their families, but those menial jobs are all taken by illegals. My husband was out of work two years ago for an entire year and couldn't find anything, not even the cruddy little soul crushing jobs. Not just that but state resources get used up taking care of these illegals to find them and take them back constantly! Take a hint and follow the law!

April 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  57. excitizen

This kind of story really brings out the good christian values in people doesn't it?

April 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  58. algalliani

no matter what you say VT guy, most of us are not leaving, and we will love you and take care of you any way brother.

April 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  59. bobe

good!

April 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  60. L

Let's see now, who are the fools? With what we've learned, we are going back to bring more of our relatives to the land of opportunity. The winds of justice are turning and our political clout in the USA is gaining strength. Wake up and smell the frijoles!!

April 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Rocky

"The number of immigrants coming from Mexico to the United States has steeply declined while the number of Mexicans leaving the United States has increased sharply, the Pew Hispanic Center said." Immigrants or illegal immigrants? There's a big difference folks. Will they be doing an article on the number of illegal immigrants coming over and jumping the fence.

April 24, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Freeman

Both... legal and illegal are referenced in article. This should get the price of vegetables and fruit to double soon.. hard getting the US teenager to pull weeds let alone cut the family grass...
      "The report also notes, citing figures from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, that the number of Mexicans apprehended trying to cross the border illegally has plummeted in recent years, from more than 1 million in 2005 to 286,000 in 2011."

April 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ganan

Bye-Bye now.

April 24, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  63. Veronica

who's leaving? Legal or illegal?

April 24, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Veronica

It matters...I welcome legal immigrants but refuse to accept sneaks.

April 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. iquestion

IIs this about legal or illegal immigrants? If its about legals, then its just a partial picture since illegals are in huge numbers. If iits about illegals, how can anyone count number of illegals entering or leaving this country. Bottom line I doubt if this report is true.

April 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  65. White Trash

Don't worry, we'll step up to the plate.

April 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  66. HPNII

There are lies , damn, lies,and statistics. There is no way this trend has been in affect for the past four decades, maybe the last five years maybe, with the new immigration laws imposed by some states,and the down turn in the economy.

April 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  67. algalliani

no todos jose... pero bien que se lo merecen muchos...

April 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  68. Veronica

Adios!

April 24, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  69. kora5255

rejoicing at the result of this study will not soon last people...this is a clear sign that we are on a path that will put us all in the shoes of "illegal immigrant"....we're going to find ourselves with the choice of leaving our comfort zone and having to make hard decisions on what is best for ourselves and our families. Soon we will know how it feels to truly have no faith and hope in our country and its people. Doing what is necessary to survive...the words of many will come back and haunt them because you never thought it could happen to you. Rest assured that it could very well happen to you, and when you find yourself in a situation where you need to make hard decisons remember that once you judged and treated people like they were a lower life form without having an dea of what were their motives. Don't be shocked when are treated like you trash and looked down upon for doing what you needed to do for yourself and your familly....

April 24, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob12

There is no acceptable "motive" for anyone to be here ILLEGALLY.

April 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  70. jose

PINCHES GABACHOS BARATEROS, AVER QUIEN LES TRABAJA SUS TIERRAS POR POQUITO DINERO. CULEROS HIJOS DE SU PUTISIMA MADRE

April 24, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Racism needs to end.

yo estoy contigo en esta, estos idiotas si que no saben apresiar lo bueno pero que se vayan muchisismo a la chingada aver que se va a hacer de america sin nusotros aqui.

April 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  71. glades2

I hate to be obvious – but doesn't this report conflict with the other undercover reports that show a nightly stream of people entering the southwest border states?

On the other hand, if what they say is true, then I'm not surprised – the quality of life in the U.S. has dramatically declined over the past 20 years, to the point that we are behind many other industrialized countries in the world, and considering how uninformed the X generations are about many things in the world, that trend is only likely to continue – sadly, the U.S. may one day be known as a second-rate western country – if we are not there already, and it only makes sense that immigrants are starting to find other countries more appealing...

April 24, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • loverpoint

It is only the Mitt Romney brood living in the US going to visit their LDS relatives in Mexico. I want a full investigation as to whether Romneys parents came to the US legally and if Mitt is nothing more than an Anchor Baby.

April 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Jose

Ask yourself the same question, where did my ancestors came from? do not be ignorant after all, mine came from Europe, they were immigrants and so what if Mitt Romney's ancestors were immigrants what about yours? don't ignore your immigrant roots, the only Americans are the Natives. According to history, American Natives were from the origin of the Aztec Empire back in the day.

April 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Subin

Good work Pat.

April 24, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  73. Jerry

OMG! I am crying! Tears of joy, that IS!!! The only concern I have is that a lot of responsible, well meaning, hardworking mexicans are also leaving with all the bad apples and riffraff. Actually, my biggest concern is that the bad apples and riffraff maybe be only ones staying.

Mr. Obama, you might want to start thinking about having your administration "heading them off" at the border. Get Mr. Hold(her) right on it. I am sure he will invent some kind of obscure law or regulation to keep some of your prospective supporters (voters) in the US.

Also: Lilly Ledbetter is the co-author of "Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond" (Crown Archetype).

SHE has CAMPIGNED and RAISED FUNDS for President Barack Obama. Oh well... Ms. Led-Better's article is nothing but feigned outrage and irrational feminist propaganda.

Like some of the Obamists always say: Enough SAID!!!

April 24, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • excitizen

WOW! The mentality of you and so many other posters here is just plain scary!

April 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  74. Pat

I have hired men to do heavy work in plus 100 degree heat. Old guys in their 40's and 50's. They all come here to work and send money home to thier poor families. Family men away from their loved ones for 10 to 11 months at a time. Christian men. Hardest working men i have ever seen.

Rosie, Yoyo and the like would never work out in this Texas heat, NEVER. Loud mouths with no real experience in life and what coming here really means.

April 24, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

Need to come to New York....More than half of population is from Mexico....

April 24, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
      • Ralph

Most of them have wife and three or four children on welfare, free education, free health care, etc...and the father working to wire their wages back to his hometown....Excellent business...it is all for profit...not loss.

April 24, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  75. Me

Best news all week!!!

April 24, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  76. Freeman

Does this mean the I.C.E. Detention centers will start to close?? Have you noticed the massive building of these centers everywhere in USA.. will these soon switch to US citizen detention centers in order to justify the expense and the massive private jobs supported by Wackemhut (Correction Facilities of America) and Halliburton?? Strange coincidence? maybe all of those conspiracy nuts are correct?? something is strange and off in this article just as massive expansion of this system is already planned and new prison camps are already in the building stages...

April 24, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  77. Teenager

South Park did it already.

April 24, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  78. Ralph

I do not trust this note...it was posted a day prior to the Supreme Court listening to the Arizona Law argument....So the Judges will buy that and since more Mexicans are leaving there is not reason to uphold this law.

April 24, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Badly-Bent

You could have a point! This very well could be propganda as I have not heard any rumors hinting this was the case prior to this "news piece".

April 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Aleshia

Honestly reading through most of these comments makes me ashamed to be an American. You stereotype against everything and anything that's different from yourself, if someones not rich it's not good enough for you, if their skin isn't white then my S'mores they must be a ghetto hoe! Most of you should go look at yourselves in the mirror. You're an emberassment to everyone and should be extremely ashamed and this is coming from a 17 year old!

April 24, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • revxv

Wait until you go to work and have money taken from your paycheck, away from YOUR children, to pay for those who foreign governments sent here to sponge off your generous naivete.

April 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Chance

Your absolutely right college kids want to do that kind of work!!! Congratulations you solved one of the biggest problems facing the US. I want my kid to grow up and work in agriculture!! Thats such a top notch industry with so much potential.
    Quick everyone lets go work in agriculture its the future!!!!

April 24, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Chance

@ Rjk
      I know this but most people I know want to send their kids to college and see them grow to into something other than agriculture. The point is people educated don't want those jobs. Not smart to think most Americans want to work in agricultural yes we need it that is a no brainer but who wants to do the work? There is a reason a estimated 7 million illegal workers are doing the job now. Get real...

April 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Dnuts

Let us think about that for a moment. The American Indian population was around 3 million in the 18 Century. The May-Flower landed with less than 1K. The US White population today stands over 5 million. Who are the real Rats? 😀

April 24, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Chela

well said Dnuts! 🙂

April 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  82. gustywinds

You are so right, and the people who are living large and in charge are loving these distractions. Most of these haters too dum to see that their being played, but I guess that's why they deserve their current station in life.

April 24, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  83. Kibi

you guys are neighbors, learn to get along and share the beautiful land of USA...

Canadian

April 24, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  84. Chance

if MEX was just in half better shape than it is now few Mexican Nationals would be in the US. Most Mexicans I know wish they could go back and live the life they can here there. The problem is the drug war and with the US messing things up more ie operation fast n furious its going to be another 10 years before it gets better. I cant wait to see the day when Mexico rises from the place its in to something better. When the educated Mexican Nationals go back and fix the mess...Then no more crying about Mexican people doing all they can to escape the bad conditions in MEX to live a better life here. Not every Mexican is in a cartel; if the youth had a better alternative the country would be in better shape. It doesn't excuse the mess they have made, I just hope to see it fixed one day.

April 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  85. aaavasque

This is the least of my worries. The bigger one who is going to support agriculture and services in this country. Without the mexican labor all costs of food and services will increase signficantly. Well, we treated them badly. It is time to suffer the consequences for being so arrogant. Great future without them.

April 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  86. Toddmw

2004 Dennis Quaid in "The Day After Tomorrow" The weather around the globe is so bad that it is suggested that while the northern U.S. hunker down and try to ride out the arctic blast onslaught, those in southern U.S. states decide to flee and head south to and cross the Mexican border! In reaction to that the Mexican authorities close the border to Americans who wish to flee the freezing cold and migrate to warmer climates in the south of Mexico. That was the movie itself but when you saw movie extras by the hundreds crossing the river illegally into Mexico all the white people in the theaters Friday night audience starting cheering, "Take that you guys!.. Take that!" The many hispanic audience members looked disgusted and rolled their eyes. I really think that the movie and the dialogue at that point were trying to make sort of an understated point that hey if you can do it for jobs we can do it because the U.S. is turning into a popsicle so get the hell out of the way. I love the way how some audience members found the humor in it while others did not!

April 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  87. Patrick

No, they're highly scrutinized numbers that ANYONE can go look up for themselves. The only reason they wouldn't is because they prefer not living in reality.

April 24, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  88. AJ

Can you give us some stats on who controls the congress? You may come to a different conclusion.

April 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  89. Lean6

Americans are so fickle and easily manipulated. Conservatives, for example, have rallied around this cause to reduce illegal immigration for years, and here's what happens when we actually start to see results from an effective overall illegal immigration policy...they're too blinded by political ignorance to "appreciate" it. Lol. Cue Mitt Romney and the GOP to come in and turn another "positive" into a negative. If they managed to sour Conservatives against the killing of Osama Bin Laden, the mastermind that forever changed America as we knew it, this one will be a piece of cake. Next GOP topic after swinging at this easy immigration pitch: "why the declining price of gas is evidence that the economy is about to enter into a depression."

April 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  90. Delusion

Mexico is beautiful, and if it has it bad economically, is because the US greedy free market has vampired the life out of it. The cartels are fueled by US guns and US unstoppable craving for drugs. There are some few cities, like Juarez, that have it real bad (a border city, by the way). Most Mexico is peaceful, calm and very much enjoyable to live in. There are no kids shooting kids in schools, nor crazy dudes blowing government buildings or shooting members of congress or preparing for the end of the world stacking guns, cans and water. Although imperfect, like any other country, Mexico has a future. It's laughable to hear people like Glenn Beck squeaking like a little girl afraid that "the mejico madness will spill over the US", as if there weren't enough madness with the Left/Right schizophrenic country. I'm not saying Mexico is better than the US, just that you arrogant g r i n g os have a very misguided and uninformed version of who you are in relation to the rest of the world. Mexicans are realizing this and are going back. Be glad, but let's see you keep loosing job industries to countries who are willing to do hard work. Let's see what that does to your screwed up economy. Soon you'll have it as worse as Mexico itself.

April 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  91. Rjk

You are in denial Spanish speakers are increasing in this country at an accelerated rate we are a mixture of races so you should just get used to it and live within reality. Remember it's an American melting pot even if they speak Spanish.

April 24, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  92. Rabbit One

i actually cry pessimistically when i hear that my great brothers and sisters of mexico are leaving us – and i cry because my america is no longer the accepting freedoms of its long history – no room for new ideas – a turning away from american belief – and i wish to see more mexicans coming into this land – because look around – all the latin communities in america are thriving – they build up and improve the land – and then you see the rich people condos come in – the latin immigrants are the great positive wave in present america – and now with them leaving we might in fact see a dismal age

April 24, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  93. Eye of the Beholder

Negativity and hatred consumes many Americans these days...It use to be optimism. Its a sad sight to see..

April 24, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

"Bless you child.
      I say child because your thinking is that of a child."

April 24, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  94. Palustris

Obviously all of you making the childish comments do not know any Mexicans personally. If they are a friend of yours, they would give you the shirt of their back if you needed it. If you work with them, they are first on the scene to give you a hand. If they work for you, they are the hardest working and most loyal. All of them as a whole never complain about anything. I have Mexican friends, have worked with them, have had them as employees...for over 40 yrs. Their agenda is not self greed. They are very family oriented and religious folks.

April 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Like many who are bigoted, you generalize. I do not doubt that you have met many like you describe, but I have been a Police Officer and Welfare Fraud Investigator in California for 27yrs and met many Mexicans who are complete opposites of your description. There are good an bad in all groups. The US has very generous immigration laws, allowing more legal immigration then any other country on earth. You are being rather childish and uninformed if you think that any American is somehow bad because he/she wants these already generous laws enforced. If your assumption is correct, then how bad and childish are those same Mexican people for having much harsher immigration laws in their own country?

April 24, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  95. Yoyomanusa

American values and culture is downgrading because of these people: lack of healthcare, not very attractive looking, usually drunk on Monday's soccer game, 3 men sharing the same bed (or floor) . . . what a legacy for the USA!

April 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  96. VoteAgainstAmendmentOne

Illegal immigration is an issue of this country, but all these ignorant comments about how they’re the reason there aren’t any jobs is ludicrous. Most of these people will do the jobs ‘hard working’ Americans wont.

You people need to point the finger at us Americans exploiting cheat labor, not the Mexicans; Americans have made illegal immigration a problem!

April 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  97. Sad to see who we've become

All the hate in this thread really, REALLY makes me sad for our future. As an old man that has seen a lot, this thread completely depresses me to see that we, as a nation, have greatly receded morally. All the sacrifice made in the last 67 years of my life have done nothing to help this nation mature. Racism and greed will destroy this nation. We must grow up and learn to live with each other.

April 24, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

I hold out no hope. Tribalism is what it is.

April 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

Sad but true.

April 24, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Eye of the Beholder

The American Dream is no more.. Many Americans have gone from being optimistic and caring individuals to being full of hatred, greed and negativity. Sad Sight to see indeed.

April 24, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

It's indeed sad and not the same world of which I even grew up in back in the 60's, it sure has changed a lot and not necessarily for the better. However, you can still find outstanding young youth which is a small beacon of hope that maybe the future can change for the better, but it's definitely a taught principle, there is way too much hatred and division in our society. Very good reply here!

April 24, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  98. mike e

We are a nation of immigrants, including Native Americans who traveled from Asia thousands of year ago. We have at times embraced diversity, and loved our brothers and sisters. We embraced immigration , when we as a country needed cheap unskilled labor. Most immigrants have been very productive for increased GDP, thankful for an opportunity in US, and give to their children greater opportunity than the parents had, something I believe we all wish for our children.

When we encouraged immigration as a country, we had the most spectacular rise in GDP , industrial might and were viewed as the land of opportunity. It looks as if we have become the land of hate. We hate immigrants. Whites hate blacks. Blacks hate whites. Quite a lot of these biases are driven by various medias (right or left) who try to drive their propaganda as the mouthpieces of either the Dems or GOP. Dems are anti- immigration because they are beholden to Unions yet want to look like the party of compassion. GOP is beholden to Corparations who are pro-immigration, but wnt to look like the party of "This is my land. This aint your land"..

We are children of immigrants and we are Americans above are political affiilations. And should welcome others that wish to experience the same opportunities (not handouts) that we enjoy here.

April 24, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Rosie

One last time....Your conclusion is based on an incorrect fact, we are a nation of LEGAL immigrants. That is the operative word, LEGAL versus illegal. Get it??? This is really not rocket science, just follow the rules and becmome legal and I will welcome you with open arms. Otherwise, as an illegal alien, you are no different than a drug dealer, robber, burglar or any other criminal.

April 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
      • mike e

Actually, That was your first response to me.........

I never mention illegal immigration. I tried to convey the idea that are country was greater when we had lax immigration laws as opposed to our nation now However, you compare illegal immigrants to thugs, etc. The word illegal implies against the law...so you are correct, a crime his been committed. But this crime is different that other crimes. This is a crime committed, usually due to ones desire to live in a safe place where one can work to provide for our families. It is our instinct as a species to survive. An instinct all humans as a species have in their primal brain.

But you chose specific crimes to compare illegal immigration, as if all crime is equal. If you are trying to compare crimes, it is more on par with disobeying a lawful order, or maybe...similar to tax evasion, but not the crimes you have chosen to associate with.

With that said, I doubt that any amount of discourse will change either of our minds. I believe I am enlightened as you probably believe you are as well. There are times we must agree to disagree and remain civil.

April 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  99. howard

and our liberal leadership says it is unrealistic to think that we could ever expect 12 million illegals to leave ... tougher laws, tougher economic realities seem to be working .....

April 24, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  100. krehator

You are wasting your time. They only believe what Fox News or the Republican Party tells them to believe.

April 24, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |